Angel Falls (AU,M/L,Teen/Mature) [COMPLETE]

Finished stories that feature the characters from the show, but there are no aliens. All fics completed on the main AU without Aliens board will eventually be moved here.

Moderators: Anniepoo98, Rowedog, ISLANDGIRL5, Itzstacie, truelovepooh, FSU/MSW-94, Erina, Hunter, Forum Moderators

Amber Eyes
Addicted Roswellian

Angel Falls (AU,M/L,Teen/Mature) [COMPLETE]

Post by Amber Eyes »

Thanks to JustThisOnce for making me this incredible banner!

Author: Amber Eyes (aka Christmas_nazi, Suzanne)
Title: Angel Falls (2004) (BOOK 1)
Catagory: Max & Liz (AU)
Rating: Mainly "Teen," but "Mature" in some parts. (This new rating system takes some getting used too! :|)
Sypnosis: Liz was born an angel. She is the daughter of God. Her sister, Tess, who used to be an angel, got banished to hell as a punishment for her scheming ways. Liz longed to join the human mortal world, to find out and experience the essence of truly being human. But she knew she father would never allow it. Tess makes her a deal, for 2 months only, Liz can go to Earth and experience just that, but she also has to help a man (Max) who has lost his way - a man who gave up on hope and love ever since his wife and unborn child died. But he also harboured some guilt to the cause of their deaths. The catch is, Liz can't reveal who she really is. She can't sleep with him, and most of all, she can't fall in love with him. If she breaks ALL 3 of those rules, then by the end of her contract with Tess, she must enter hell of her own free will. If she refuses, then Max will be used as punishment in her place. Liz thinks it won't come to that. She'll just stick to her job - keep it impersonal, and enjoy the life of a human. But what happens when she slowly starts to break the rules?
Disclaimer: I do not own Roswell, or any of the characters, those belong to Jason Katims, Melinda Metz, UPN etc. All I own is this story, which stems from my imagination and dreamworld.
Note: I've decided to make this into a series either 2 or 3 books depending on how I go. This will be known as the Heaven Sent series. Angel Falls will be book 1.

Prologue

Dark clouds loomed overhead as the black limousines pulled away from the cemetery.

Sitting in the lead car, Max Evans gazed numbly out the window, watching the grave stones whiz by in a grey blur.

The windows became splattered with tiny drops of water as the heavens opened from above.

"Max?" Max felt a hand on his arm. "You gonna be ok?"

He looked at his friend; dear Maria who had always helped and supported him in his life. He turned and looked back out the window.

"I don't know. I really don't know." He replied softly.

How was one suppose to get over the death of their loving wife? He and Cara had been married for five years, and she had been expecting their first child. But how cruel was god to have taken them away from him in a car accident?

Would he ever move on? to be free of the pain, the grief, the guilt? to ever find love and happiness again?

He doubted it.

Not in this lifetime anyway.

He could never forget Cara. She had been his life, and now she was gone.

The day she died, his life had also come to an end; and his belief in god.

He blamed god; he blamed the joy rider; but most of all, he blamed himself. It was his fault as much as the rest. He had played a part in her death too.

Silent tears coursed down his face.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

High above the houses, beyond the trees and high above the clouds, an angel sat on the edge of the stone pool and gazed into the water.

She watched a family laugh and enjoy themselves at a barbecue. The children played chase with each other, while the couple looked at them adoringly before turning to each other for a lingering kiss.

Oh how she wished she could be apart of the mortal world, even for just one day. To be able to eat real Earthian food, to experience human daily life, the way they live their lives. To laugh so merrily.

"Daydreaming again sister dear? Liz, sweety, why do you concern yourself with these lower beings? those..... mortals." The voice spoke with disgust.

Spinning around, Liz faced her sister.

"What are you doing here? How did you get up to heaven?"

"Liz, I used to be an angel, remember? Just because I got banished to the underworld doesn't mean I can't find a way back up here."

"Tess, they'll banish you even longer if they catch you here."

"I know, but I came here to see you. I also have an offer for you; a deal if you will."

Liz eyed her sister suspiciously; though she was dressed in white and had wings behind her like any other angel, there was still an aura of evilness to her, evilness that came from the bottomless pit of hell itself.

"What kind of deal?"

Tess walked over to the pool and waved her hand over the water. The image of the family disappeared, and a man sitting alone in front of a fire nursing a glass of brandy came into view.

Liz peered into the pool and gazed at the handsome stranger. She could feel a huge sadness coming from his soul. So strong that all she wanted to do was take his pain away.

"Who is he? and why is he so sad? as though there is no return for him."

"He is Maxwell Evans. He lost his wife and unborn child six months ago. He's unable to move on with life because he's not healing; he's not dealing with his grief. Plus he blames dad for taking them away from him."

"Dad may be god, but he doesn't deal with death, the Fates do."

"Yeah well, those nitwits down there don't know that. They think dad is the almighty, the all powerful. They don't know that dad just creates life and give people hope if they want to believe and grasp it. He doesn't deal with everything." Tess rolled her eyes.

"So what's the deal?" Liz asked again.

Tess smiled at her sister slyly. "Well, you've always craved to be a part of the mortal world. I'll give you two months. Two months to experience the life of a human. But you must also help him grieve and move on, and for him to start believing in god and hope again."

"This is a joke right?"

"No joke."

"Even if I could help him move on, I can't make him believe in something he doesn't."

"Not my problem."

Liz sighed. "So what's the catch? What's in it for you?"

"Why sis, you wound me with your words." Tess placed a hand over her heart. Tess then gave a evil laugh. "Ah, you know me too well. Ok, the catch is, you can't reveal that you're an angel - you wanna be human remember? and besides, it would be cheating. Also, you can't have sex with him - lust in one of the deadly sins, and we can't have angel Lizzie succumbing to that now can we?" Tess gave a sly laughter. "And finally, and the most important: You mustn't fall in love with him. If you do ALL three things, hereby breaking your agreement, then by the end of the two months, you have to come willingly and join me in hell. It gets so lonely down there you know." Tess pouted then spun around laughing.

"And if I don't come willingly?"

Tess stopped spinning and looked at Liz. She shook her head as though her sister was a clueless child. "Oh sweet innocent Liz; free will can always be manipulated you know. There is always a way. And the way would probably be our Maxie poo down there serving the punishment in your place. Could you live with yourself, hmm? Lizzie? Could you?"

Liz looked back down into the pool. Such sorrow. She ached to heal his pain. All she had to do was keep to her job and not get too attached. Everything would be fine.

"So, whaddaya say? this is a once in a eternity deal Liz."

Liz touched her fingers in the water where his face was. The water rippled.

"If father finds out... only agents on assignments are allowed to venture to earth."

"He won't. This will be between us. Our little secret." Tess walked behind Liz and looked over her shoulder into the pool.

"He needs your help Liz. He's lost and alone." Tess whispered into Liz's ear.

"Ok Tess, I accept your deal. Two months."

Tess smiled triumphantly. "I knew this would be an offer you wouldn't refuse." Tess snapped her fingers and a parchment of flaming paper appeared in her hand before distinguishing. "All right, just sign here Lizzie bear." Tess handed her a red feathered quill. Liz signed the agreement. Tess snapped her fingers again and the parchment of contract disappeared in a poof of smoke.

"So, do I just fly to earth?" Liz asked.

"No. They'll be able to track you that way; and besides, you need to lose those wings."

"Then how do I get there?"

"Come with me."

Standing on the edge of a cliff over looking the ocean, Liz gasped.

"What is this place?" Liz asked in horror.

"The ocean of souls. Mortals who have yet to move on to the other place, or don't want to because of fear of what's on the other side. Or as I like to call it, 'the back door to heaven and hell.'"

"I always thought souls moved on to reincarnation. I had no idea this place existed."

"Well, father was the sheltering kind; but you learn a lot when you're in hell. It shows you the truth about most things. Whether good or evil. Though it does tend to side towards the more darker side." Tess grinned.

"So what do I do?"

"To get to earth, you have to want it badly enough. You have to let yourself free-fall into the ocean of souls. If you have any doubts, you'll fall straight into hell, like a true fallen angel."

Liz looked at Tess then back out into the ocean that had screaming tormented souls swimming around.

"If I keep my end of the bargain by the end of the contract, I get to go back up to heaven right?"

"Of course."

Silence fell between them.

The wind whipped through their hair, lightning flashed in the distance in the orangy-red sky.

Walking right up to the edge of the cliff, Liz spread her arms up beside her and closed her eyes. She thought of the lost and lonely stranger. 'He needs your help Liz, he's lost and alone.' Tess's words echoed in her head.

Taking a deep breath, Liz let her self fall away from the cliff top.

The wind whipped past her, the soul's anguished screams got louder. Liz felt herself plunge into the ocean. The pressure was intense, they pulled at her and ripped her wings apart; it hurt, but she didn't care.

Maxwell Evans needed her, and she'll be there for him.

Darkness and screams consumed her and then....... she felt nothing. Heard nothing.

TBC or not? It's up to you readers to decide, I write for your enjoyment, if this is a sucky start, I won't bother continuing and stick to finishing my other ones. :wink:
Last edited by Amber Eyes on Sat Dec 17, 2005 9:24 am, edited 48 times in total.
My AU dreamer fics:
The Auction Teen/Adult)
Angelic Fire (Mature/Adult)
Watching Clouds

Amber Eyes
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Amber Eyes »

Here's the next part as promised.

Enjoy! and please leave me some feedback! postive or negative I don't mind :D

Part 1

Lightning crackled and the rain began to pour; the wind began to rattle the cabin windows.

Max stood by the window and downed his last mouthful of brandy. The fire crackled quietly behind him.

It had been six months.

The first few months had been filled with people giving him their sympathy and condolences, their sad depressed looks and their empty words.

He had to get away.

He had to be alone.

Maria had lent him her little cabin in a quiet place called Angel Falls. he liked it here, it soothed his soul.

It had been six months since Cara's death.

He had yet to grieve and move on.

He couldn't.

If he did, he feared he would forget her.

Something caught his eye in the distance, a bright falling light. Max squeezed his eyes shut then opened them blinking a few times to clear his vision. The light was gone. It must have been a shooting star or lightning in the far distance.

Turning around, he headed for his comfy chair and sat in front of the fire. Sitting there silently, he stared up at his wife's portrait he'd hung on the wall. He knew Maria wouldn't mind. he took in her features, her smile, the twinkle in her eyes, the way her blond wavy hair fell past her shoulders, the way she stood so lovingly and comfortable in his embrace.

Max continued to stare at her, while the wind and rain pounded outside and the fire crackled quietly on the inside.

Tears burned behind his eyes then trailed on their own accord down his cheeks. Max gripped his empty glass, his knuckles turning white.

"I'm so sorry Cara. It was all my fault. Please forgive me." He wept to her picture. Inside, he didn't feel as though he deserved her forgiveness; yet looking at her, her smiling graceful lips, the kindness in her eyes, it was as though she already had. As though she never blamed him for anything.

As the alcohol settled in his system, Max began to drift into sleep.

He drifted to a field by a shimmering lake. A picnic had been laid out over a red and white chequered blanket. A young woman sat there gazing out into the lake. Waiting.

As if sensing him, she turned and gave him a dazzling smile. She extended her hand in invitation for him to join her.

Max walked over and took her hand. He let her pull him to sit beside her.

His hand went up to caress her cheek, his eyes shimmering like the lake with salty tears.

"Cara?" he asked. His voice hoarse with emotion.

"I made your favourite." She told him, still smiling at her husband lovingly.

"Oh god Cara!" He pulled her into a fierce hug, never wanting to let go. "I love you, I love you so much!" He began to weep. "I'm so sorry Cara, it was my fault. All my fault."

"Shh..." She tried to soothe him and rubbed his back. "What's done is done. You can't go back, you have to move on with your life."

Max pulled back slightly and gazed at her. "I can't. I'll forget you if I do. I love you so much." His mouth came down on hers, at first soft and gentle, then becoming more desperate. He didn't pull back until they were both breathless.

"I love you too Max; and it wasn't your fault. Please don't blame yourself anymore." She leaned her forehead on his. "It was never your fault."

Max slowly stirred awake, and blinked.

Sunlight filtered through the room making him squint.

It was morning.

Max sighed and rubbed a hand over his weary face. Another new day. A new day without Cara.

On the way to the kitchen, he bent to pick up the glass tumbler that had fallen to the floor during his slumber. He brewed fresh coffee, then went to get washed in the bathroom.

After his morning ritual, he went for his morning hike. The fresh biting winter air always seemed to clear his head. Bruno scurried ahead of him. Maria had given Bruno to Max to keep him company while he was alone in the mountains; plus if anything happened to Max, then Bruno could go for help.

Suddenly Bruno began to bark attracting Max's attention. He hurried to catch up.

At first, he didn't know what Bruno's discovery was, but as he got closer, Max saw what looked to be a human laying there face down on the wet leave covered ground.

"Hey, are you alright?" Max asked while bending down to examine the stranger.

No reply or movement came from the unconscious person.

Carefully, Max turned the stranger over.

Max let out an oath. What was a young girl doing out in the middle of nowhere? and unconscious no less. He looked her over; her - what he assumed was once - white dress, was now a muddy brown colour and torn, her long chocolate brown hair was a tangled mess and covered in bits of leaves. Her body had scratches on her and was covered in smudges of dirt.

Though her current look was every female's nightmare, there was no mistaking her beauty beneath it all.

Max caught himself gazing down at her. Shaking his head, he checked for other injuries aside from the scratches.

"Hey, Miss? wake up." Max gently patted her cheek. She didn't stir. Max checked around for a bag, purse, wallet, anything that might tell him who she was; but he found none.

Standing up, he surveyed around him and called out.

"Hello?! Anyone out here?!"

Chirping birds was the only reply her received.

Max grimaced, he couldn't just leave her out here, she'd perish for sure. Gently, he hooked his arms behind her back and crook of her knees and lifted her up. She felt weightless in his arms. Her head lolled to the side and rested comfortable on his broad chest. Max gazed down at her; she looked to be sleeping, yet he couldn't wake her.

Whoever this girl was, when she woke up, she had a lot of explaining to do. Her family must be worried sick!

"Come on Bruno." Max called, as the three of them headed back towards the cabin.

TBC!
Last edited by Amber Eyes on Fri Feb 06, 2004 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My AU dreamer fics:
The Auction Teen/Adult)
Watching Clouds

Amber Eyes
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Amber Eyes »

YESSSSS! IT'S ME AGAIN! I'M BAACK! :mrgreen:

Sorry it took so long, RL can be a b*tch sometimes, I can't wait till summer when I finish uni!

Nan Yes! I knew the "upper" Angel Liz pic would work. there was another version that was made, but I didn't really like it that much, so I told the artist to put the angel Liz in. I knew it would work for the pic!

Thanks for everyone else and lurkers for reading and leaving me those wonderful feedback!

Here's the next part. enjoy!

Part 2

The firelight flickered shadows in the room and over the girl's features. Max sat there watching her sleep on the sofa.

It was evening now, the sun had begun to set, creating a warm orange glow in the room.

The girl had not stirred since he had lain her down. He'd taken a bowl of water and cloth to clean her up a bit. He gently wiped her face - which revealed a bluey-purple angry goose egg on the right of her forehead, her arms and legs had revealed multiple scratches all over. Max wondered if something had clawed at her. Max tried to think back if perhaps she was one of his neighbours daughters or some relative who was visiting and had gotten lost on their way. His mind drew a blank, he'd never seen her in his life.

He continued to watch her in silence while Bruno lay beside her on the floor.

As if sensing a change in the air, Bruno sat up and began to whine and looked up at the sleeping girl.

The next minute, she'd started to whimper too; her arms thrashed about in front of her as if batting away something. Suddenly, she screamed and covered her ears. As Max rushed over to her, she curled herself up into a ball and continued to whimper with her hands over her ears, her eyes squeezed tightly shut.

"Hey, hey, come on wake up, you're just having a bad dream." Max soothed.

The girl batted his hand away when he gently shook her.

"Come on, you have to wake up." Max pulled her hands away from her ears and gave her another gentle shake.

Her eyes flew open and she looked up into his gaze.

Liz had been falling into a void of black nothingness, then suddenly she'd seen a bright light at the end of the darkness. As she fell further towards it, the pressure around her had started to build up even more until she felt as though it would crush her very being. Her ears had hurt like mad and still the souls grappled at her.

Then she heard a voice, a voice telling her to wake up, a voice that soothed her pain. She let his voice guide and protect her, and then, at last, her angelic soul went through the doorway of light.

And the first thing she saw when the bright light faded was a pair of liquid amber eyes staring down at her. Amber rich like the sun with little golden flecks of light. The colour was so deep it wrapped itself around her, she could feel herself getting lost in them.

"Miss, you ok?" He asked, he voice seep and reassuring.

"Huh?"

"How do you feel?" He murmured softly.

Liz felt pain all over her body, but mainly on her head. She winced and went to touch her goose egg. Oh heaven above. The pain!

"yeah, you must hurt like hell, maybe you should rest for a while longer."

Liz continued to lie there staring up at him. He was the most handsome man she had ever seen. She couldn't take her eyes of him. His soft raven hair, a well defined chiselled face. But wait.... what was wrong with his ears? she wondered. Should they be sticking out that much? But nevertheless, it looked adorable on him.

"What's your name?" He asked softly.

"Liz. Liz Parker."

"Hi Liz, I'm Max."

Liz smiled shyly at him.

"You want to tell me what happened to you?"

"Happened?"

"Yeah, like why I found you unconscious in the middle of the woods covered in injuries."

Oh crap! Liz thought. (That was one of the words she heard some mortals say when they were in trouble.) She couldn't possibly tell him the truth. That she really was an Angel who'd fallen to earth to save his dying unhappy soul.

"Uh, I... I don't remember."

"You don't remember?" Max frowned at her response.

Liz shook her head.

"Who are your family? Can you give me a number to call them? they must be very worried about you."

Oh double damn! (Liz was amazed at how fast she was adapting to these new words, they just came straight to her!) Hmm, telling him her father was god probably won't go too well for her. He'd think she was crazy. And oh, my sister's in hell serving out her punishment, but that's ok she knows I'm here. Nuh-uh!

Liz stared at Max blankly.

"let me guess, you can't remember who your family are or a possible phone number."

Liz shook her head. "Sorry, no."

Max sighed. He still didn't have any answers.

"Maybe that bump on your head caused you some kind of selective amnesia." She knows her own name but nothing else.

"Amnesia?" Liz queried.

"Yeah, like memory loss due to some trauma to the head."

Ooh.... Hmm, she could really work with this.

Liz nodded in agreement with him and winced at the motion.

"Are you hungry? I could make you some soup."

Hungry? Guess she couldn't tell him that Angel's didn't have the need to eat either.

Liz nodded. She might as well start living the life of a mortal while she was here.

"Ok, get some rest, I'll have your food in a little while."

Liz smiled sincerely at him. "Thank you, that's very kind of you."

Max returned ten minutes later with a steaming bowl of vegetable soup and some slices of bread. He set the tray down on the mahogany coffee table, and went to help Liz sit up. He handed her the bowl of soup.

"Careful, it's hot." Max told her as he went to retrieve the plate of bread.

Liz looked at the silver object, then down at the steaming food. She'd seen a few times how humans are their food, and it had fascinated her. And now, she'd get to try it out for herself. Lifting the metal object, she dunked it into the soup and scooped up the content. Opening her mouth, she took in the content then immediately cried out in pain and spat the mouthful back into the bowl. She covered her mouth with one hand, tears burned in her eyes.

Max turned around just in time to see the girl cry out and spit the hot soup back into the bowl.

"Oh geez, are you all right? I told you it was hot." Max took the bowl from her and placed it on the table. "I'll get you a glass of water."

Liz watched Max disappear from the room and returned a minute later with a glass of water.

"Here, drink this."

Liz took the cool glass and stared into the water; it looked just like the water in the viewing pool, but why would someone want to drink it? It was used as a looking glass. Things are strange here on earth. Humans were such odd creatures, but fascinating non-the-less.

Tentatively, Liz took a sip. The liquid was tasteless, and the cool sensation cooled her scotched tongue. Taking a mouthful, Liz kept the water in her mouth. She closed her eyes and sighed in relief.

"Better?"

Liz nodded. opening her eyes, she saw Max frowning at her. She frowned right back at him.

"Uh, aren't you going to swallow the water?"

Liz swivelled the water in her mouth, and pulled by some human instinct, she let the water slide down her throat. Ooh, what an odd feeling! Liz could feel the water sliding down her throat and down to the middle of her body where the liquid seemed to settle. Liz drank the water again and repeated the process. Ooh! what fun! Liz began to giggle.

Max looked perplexedly at the girl. What was she giggling about? he wondered. Hmm, maybe she hit her head harder than he thought.

"Um, listen, why don't you go into the bathroom and clean yourself up. I cleaned your face, arms and legs, but I'm sure you'll feel better after a shower, or a bath if you prefer."

Liz nodded. But in reality, she had no idea what he meant. If she needed to clean herself, all she had to do was wave a hand over herself and voila! clean and fresh as the spring. But she couldn't do that in front of him.

Leading Liz to the medium sized bathroom, Max indicated to where the towel and soup was. He looked at her tattered dress.

"Uh, I'll get you some fresh clothes."

"Thank you."

Max turned and left.

Liz closed the door then turned to survey the bathroom, marvelling at the funny looking cleaning contraptions.

turning to face the mirror, she looked at her reflection. What a mess! Checking herself over, Liz saw ugly scratches - scratches made by the lost souls who begged her to help them, who pulled and crushed her in their desperation.

"Hiya sis! How's it goin?"

Liz looked back at the mirror and saw Tess grinning at her in the mirror, a fiery background burning fiercely behind her.

"It's strange here." Liz replied.

"Are you sure you still wanna do this? why not just come down here and join me anyway? save yourself the hassle of all of this."

"No. We had a deal Tess, and I won't be going to hell with you."

"You sure you can keep your side of the bargain?"

"Yes." Liz replied firmly, squaring her shoulders.

"Alright." Tess said, putting her hands up in surrender. "Listen Liz, while you're on earth, you might still have your angelic powers, but you're also a human now. That means who experience what a human can experience, all the emotions, hope, happiness, pain, grief. It will be your own feelings, and not just the empathy of others. You'll also feel physical pain too.

"No kidding." Liz said sarcastically, thinking back to the soup which had caused her to feel the shock of burning pain.

Pulling off her dress and letting it pool at her feet, Liz ran a glowing hand over her body. the scratches and bruises faded and healed. She raised her hand over her arm.

"Liz, you really wanna do that?"

"Well, why not? It's unsightly, not to mention it really stings."

"Think back to your side of the bargain."

Liz thought for a moment. Oh no! How could she be so careless! Max had already seen her arms and legs when he attempted to clean her wounds, and if she walked out now without any injuries, questions were bound to arise about who she was.

"Look Liz, as much as I want you down here with me, I do want you to be happy. And if being a pitiful mortal does that, then so be it, but I'd hate for it to end before it has begun. For your sake anyway."

A knock came at the door and both girls turned to face it.

Liz was about to go and open the door when Tess hissed at her.

"Liz, sister dear, you might wanna cover up before you greet him. Male mortals are very visual creatures, plus you'd probably give the poor man the shock of his life. Albeit a very pleasurable one I'd imagine." Tess finished with a wink.

Hastily, Liz grabbed a fluffy pale green towel and wrapped it around her naked body. Tess waved a cheery goodbye and disappeared in a poof of smoke. Liz opened the door to find Max with his arms full of clothes staring down at her.

Max couldn't help himself, his eyes scanned her body from head to toe, and toe to head. He knew she was naked underneath that fluffy towel. his body began to stir and be berated himself for feeling it. He felt as if he was cheating on Cara, even though what he was felt was a basic human emotion of attraction. He watched the girl's face go from pink to red at his staring. She looked away from him awkwardly.

He cleared his throat and tried to refocus.

"Um, you seem to be the same size as Maria, so these should fit." He handed Liz the folded clothes.

Liz took the clothes and looked up at him with a shy smile.

"Thank you, that's very kind of you."

"You're welcome. Um, is everything ok in here?" Max looked into the bathroom behind her.

"Uh, could you show me hpw to use the uh..." She gestured to the shower stall.

Max frowned at her puzzled. How bad was her amnesia anyway?

"Yeah, you just turn the taps here, this one's hot, and this other one is cold." Max tested the spray of water until it was the right temperature.

Max walked back over to the door.

"Um, take as long as you need. There's plenty of hot water." He closed the door behind him.

Dropping the towel to the floor, Liz stepped into the shower and marvelled at the feel of the cascading water flowing over her from head to toe. Liz played and splashed with the water and giggled. After a while, she took the bar of soap and lathered it over her body, but not before dropping it a few times due to the slipperiness.

A while later, Liz emerged from the bathroom and the smell of apple-blossom floated out with her.

Max looked up from his chair when she entered the room. Dressed in Maria's sweat pants and top, Liz looked to be your normal average girl next door. Except for the purplish goose egg on her head and scratches, which was a dead give-a-way that she wasn't. No. Something had happened to this girl that had resulted in her current state.

"Do the clothes fit ok?"

"The top is fine, pants are a little loose though, but its ok, I tied it tighter at the waist." Liz lifted her sweatshirt up to show him her waist.

Her very tiny waist. Max thought.

"I re-heated the soup for you."

Liz came around and sat down beside him. Her apple-blossom scent teasing his senses.

Liz picked up her soup and took a tentative sip to avoid re-burning her mouth.

"Do you want a hair dryer for your hair? I think Maria keeps one around here somewhere."

"No, that's ok. I'll just let it dry naturally"

Max watched Liz continue to eat, taking dainty sips and bites. He sighed and sat back on the sofa. He gazed up at his late wife's portrait.

Later that night, Liz was in the guest bedroom where she'd be staying. She snuggled deeper into the bedcovers. It was so soft and comfortable, just like her cloud bed.

What a day its been.

Liz yawned and felt drowsy. Her eyes started to drift close.

Tomorrow, tomorrow she'd begin the healing process on Max.

Well? what do you think of this chapter? I tried to make it longer for you to read considering how I haven't updated in so long. Feedback please! any fav parts? hated parts? anything? lol :lol:
My AU dreamer fics:
The Auction Teen/Adult)
Watching Clouds

Amber Eyes
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Amber Eyes »

Hi everyone,

Thank you for all your wonderful feedback, and a warm welcome to any new readers :D

Here it is as promised chapter 3. :D Enjoy!

Part 3

Liz woke up in the middle of the night to someone crying out. Some incoherent mumbles and more distressing whimpers.

Slipping out of bed, Liz followed the sound into the living room. what she saw made her heart ache.

Max had fallen asleep on the sofa; but he was not at rest.

The fire in the fireplace was still burning strong and it created a warm flickering glow in the room. But the flickering shadows could not hide Max's distressed features.

Quietly walking over, Liz knelt down beside Max and looked at him. Just then, Bruno, who was lazing by the fire perked up and gave a tiny whine.

Liz placed a finger to her lips indicating for him to be quiet. The dog lay his head on his paws but continued to watch her with curiosity.

Liz focused her attention back on Max. She placed her hand over his forehead and closed her eyes, concentrating.

She could feel what he felt. The pain, the loss, the love he felt for his wife and unborn child. She also felt guilt coming from him, but she didn't kow what was causing it.

Liz knew Max had to come to terms with that guilt in order to move on, if not, then he would forever be haunted by his dreams.

Liz couldn't take that guilt away, Max had to do that for himself, but for now, maybe she could ease some of his pain.

Focusing once more, she concentrated on his inner subconscious, taking away the negative and replacing it with positive feelings and energy in his dreams.

Max immediately relaxed in his sleep.

Liz sat back on the floor and continued to watch Max sleep. A while later, she finally headed back to her own room.

Bruno followed her in.

Closing the door she looked down at the dog.

"I suppose you have questions."

Bruno gave a low bark.

Liz walked over to the bed and sat down. She reached over and flicked on the bedside lamp. She was still amazed at how light could be generated without the sun's power or the use of a raw flame.

Bruno sat beside her and looked at her expectantly.

Liz placed her palm over his soft head and concentrated.

After a minute, she opened her eyes.

"Ask away."

'You're not from around here are you?'

"No, I'm not. I'm from somewhere far away."

'I thought so. I could sense you were different. what are you?'

"I'm an angel."

'Did Cara send you? My master misses her terribly, she used to give me treats. I liked her.'

"No, she didn't send me. I'm here because I've always wanted to know how a mortal lives, so I made a deal with my sister. I can stay on earth for 2 months provided that I help Max move on and keep to my side of the bargain."

'So you're like his unofficial guardian angel in a way.'

"Something like that."

'Why don't you tell him who you really are?'

"I can't. It's part of the deal I made. I can't reveal my true self to any humans since I'm suppose to live and be like one."

'Do you think you'll be able to help him move on? he's been suffering for so long.'

"I don't know; but I will try my best. Max seems to be guilty over something; any ideas what?"

'No, sorry. I wasn't living with him before he came here and mistress Maria sent me to keep him company.'

Bruno lay his head on Liz's lap and they fell into a comfortable silence.

After a while...

'I'm glad you're here.'

"Me too."

TBC!

Yeah ok, I know its not much of a part, but I'm working on it! Kinda like when you cook something, you need to let it simmer to be good! lol. :mrgreen:
My AU dreamer fics:
The Auction Teen/Adult)
Watching Clouds

Amber Eyes
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Amber Eyes »

Hi everyone,

I jsut couldn't put it off any longer, if I did, you'd never see this chapter till christmas!!

Nan I'm glad you took time to read this. Thanks for the A! lol.

here's the next part. Enjoy! and don't forget the feedback!!

Part 4

The next morning, Liz woke up to a wonderful smelling aroma. Getting out of bed, she changed out of her night clothes and into a pair of dark-blue jeans and a thick woolly cream coloured turtleneck. Liz rubbed her arms and giggled. She felt so warm and snug!

Liz walked out to investigate the lovely aroma.

"Ah, you're up. I made us some breakfast." Max grinned as he transferred the bacon and eggs to the plates.

The grin on his face slammed into Liz like a thunderbolt. How different he looked from that sad lonely man she had seen. With her help, she hoped that he will smile more from now on.

"It smells delicious." Liz sat down at the table and gazed at Max as he brought their breakfast over. He poured them some coffee to warm them up.

Liz watched Max use the fork to scoop up the scrambled eggs and then use the knife to cut the bacon, then pinned it with a piece of cut toast.

Liz followed suit.

The salty taste of bacon and seasoned eggs assailed her taste bud. She closed her eyes and gave an appreciative moan. Humans ate to survive, but to her, it was also a luxury pleasure.

"Good?"

"Delicious!" Liz scooped up a couple more mouthful of food.

Suddenly, Liz let out a squeak as she felt a wet nose nudging her feet. She looked down and saw Bruno looking up at her with big puppy dog eyes, then to the food, then back at her again. Liz got the message and gave him a slice of cut bacon.

Bruno ate it with enthusiasm.

"Bruno, you just ate. If you're not careful, you'll get fat; you don't wanna scare away your lady doggy friends do you?" Max joked.

Bruno gave Max a glare and a low annoyed growl from his throat.

After breakfast, the 3 of them went for a stroll.

The chilly air bit at Liz's exposed face, and her nose and ears turned pink. She snuggled deeper into her coat and scarf.

Max asked her if anything seemed familiar to her, anything that jogged her memory. Liz shook her head. And so they continued their walk.

Max told her there was a little town about 2 miles away, and that they should go there for more groceries soon; plus, maybe someone would recognise her. Liz simply nodded in agreement, but knew no-one would know who she was, well, except for Bruno. She gave the dog a fond look; Bruno looked up, his tongue hanging out as if to say he was fond of her too.

A while later, they exited the woods and came out into a clearing. Liz could smell something fresh and salty; could hear a whooshing sound that came then receded then started all over again.

"Oh heavens....." the breath whooshed out from her lungs as she took in the scene. "This.... this is beautiful...."

They were standing on a grassy cliff overlooking a vast ocean that rolled and crashed playfully against the rocks below. The low morning sun sparkled on the tops of the surf creating a vast shimmering blanket. Liz closed her eyes and let the elements tease her senses. 'I can hear the ocean singing; it's such a beautiful melody....' Liz started to sway to the melody only she could hear.

"Liz? you ok?"

Liz smiled up at him. "I'm fine. It's such a beautiful place here. Thank you, for showing it to me. Can we come back here sometime?"

"Of course. There's just something about his place. I found it when I first came here, I used to sit here all day and sometimes all night during the summer."

Liz knew there was more that Max should've said but didn't. She could feel it off his aura, he was drawn to this place because it soothed his battered soul. A calm and release of his pain and guilt that he so desperately needed.

"How come you moved here? it's so isolating. Don't you miss your friends? family?" Liz's attempt for him to open up backfired.

Max's shoulder's stiffened, his expression unreadable. He looked away from her.

"We should get back, see what groceries we need."

With that, he walked off leaving her to follow behind.

Liz realized she probably shouldn't have mentioned the word "family", but if she didn't get him to come to terms with it, then he'll never move on, and she didn't have much time to do what she is suppose to do if he kept being withdrawn and stubborn, though she could sympathise with the way he felt.

Sighing, she ran to catch up with him.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Slipping out the jeep, the passing folks of Angel Falls greeted Max and Liz, though, Liz got more of a curious stare among the friendly 'hellos' and 'good-day.' They wondered about the girl who had dark-blue bruises on her head, they wondered who she was and why she accompanied the lonely yet enigmatic Mr Evans who lived alone up on the mountain.

Inside the store, as they passed the rows of fruit and veg, Liz examined each item with interest. She marvelled at how certain items had a stronger fragrance than others such as the fuzzy peach. She marvelled at the differences in name and texture of the fruits such as the apple and pineapple. "How would one eat this?" she had asked Max referring to the pineapple, which she held in front of her looking at it like a specimen. "You've never eaten a pineapple before?" Liz shook her head. Max immediately placed the fruit into his basket. "First time for everything." he said winking at her. he had no idea just how true his words rang out.

Liz separated from Max as she went to browse the rest of the store. When she met up with Max again, she found he had filled his basket with a some band aids, more food and a couple bottles of a brown, red, and off-white liquid.

"Are you really thirsty?" She asked innocently.

Max had hoped she wouldn't notice the booze, he was running low on it, and when that happened, the pain would come and there wouldn't be anything to numb it.

"Um, sometimes." He replied lamely, but thought it a bit odd she had taken his answer, yet didn't want to dwell on the subject anymore. "Are you ready to go?" She smiled and nodded.

After paying for their purchases, they headed back to the jeep. As Liz passed the shops, she gazed from one window to the other, her eyes lighting up like a child at a candy store.

"Such pretty decorations. You seem to only have them this time of year."

"Yeah, for Christmas."

"I didn't notice any at your house, can we buy some?"

Max's tone was like ice. "I don't celebrate Christmas anymore." With that, he walked off towards the jeep.

The drive back between them was in cold silence.

TBC!! Well? what do you think of this chapter?
My AU dreamer fics:
The Auction Teen/Adult)
Watching Clouds

Amber Eyes
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Amber Eyes »

Hi again!

My muse was with me today and for once wanted to give me some inspiration to get some work done. :D

Nan
Smac
Sweetbrowneyes

Thank you for all the support - well, since I've started writing for this fic again anyway. I think I might have lost my other readers due to the long time wtihout an update :cry:

Anyway, enjoy! let's hope my muse will let me get another chapter out!

Part 5

That evening, Liz relaxed in a hot bath and wondered how she was going to get through to Max in order to help him move on with his life. She supposed for now, she should give him some time and space to get used to her, and hopefully eventually to trust her.

As the water began to cool, Liz stepped out and wrapped herself in a fluffy towel. Pulling the plug, she watched the water swirl down the hole. She briefly wondered where all the water went. Was there a huge hole underneath her tub to contain the water? and what happens when it gets full?

Shaking her head as she left for her room, she realized two months was too short. It would take her forever to learn about the mortal world and their fascinating mechanics.

As she finished changing into a pair of royal-blue pyjamas that was decorated with yellow moons and stars, (Max had told her she could borrow whatever clothes she wanted.) she heard a knock at the door. opening it, she found Max standing there, head lowered, his hands stuffed into his pockets.

"Uh, hi." Max greeted awkwardly.

"Hi, Max, is something wrong?"

"Uh, listen.... I'm sorry I snapped at you earlier today."

"It's ok Max, I was being too pushy--"

"No, you asked reasonable questions, and I acted defensively when it wasn't your fault. Again, I'm sorry."

Liz just stood there and blinked at him.

"Look, there's just some things I'm going through right now, but it wasn't right to take it out on you."

Liz nodded. "Would you like to talk about it? it's better than bottling it all up inside. Perhaps I can help?"

Max shook his head. "I can't.... it.... it hurts to much to talk about it."

"But--"

"Listen, you wanna watch a movie? it's still early." Max said cutting off her protest.

Liz knew pushing him further wouldn't help matters, so she nodded "Ok." Together, they walked to the living-room.

You can pick the movie." Max gestured to the pile of videos and DVDs. "Maria keeps it pretty well stocked.

Browsing over the titles, Liz found a film titled "City of Angels."

"Can we watch this? it looks interesting."

Max sighed and gave her a small grin. "Why am I not surprised you picked out a chick flick?" women, they were all the same, he mused.

Pushing the play button, they settled down on the sofa to watch.

By the end of the film, Liz was still bawling her eyes out.

"Hey, you ok?" Max asked softly, handing her a box of tissues.

"Yeah, its just..." she wiped her eyes "....it was so sad!" her voice cracked on the last word.

"Liz, its just a movie, it's not real."

"How do you know?"

"Because they're actors playing out characters from a script!"

"Max, it may be a movie, but don't you believe there may be some truth to it? that there is a God, and Angels do exist out there who help people?"

Max stared blankly at the static screen. "There is no God. As for Angels, if they - and God - did exist, then they'd be fools to work for him. They bring nothing but pain and suffering to people."

Liz sat back aghast. "Surely you must believe in some higher power out there who watches over human kind?"

"No Liz; you might believe in them, that's your choice. I used to believed in them too; prayed to God for help, but now I know the truth. There is no God, either that or he abandoned us a long time ago. If he did exist, if he cared at all, he would've kept my wife safe instead of taking her away from me!!" Max was shouting his words at Liz now, tears streamed down his face.

"Oh Max."

"But you know what? it was partly my fault too! If I hadn't..... if I....." He couldn't go on anymore and broke down completely.

Liz pulled him into her arms and tried to soothe him.

"Why Liz?" He choked out. "Why did he take her away from me? why did he take my unborn baby? they were innocents!"

"Shh... its alright....shh....." Liz soothed whilst rubbing his back. Tears streamed down her own cheeks as she felt his pain seeping into her; his anguish.

They stayed wrapped in each others embrace for a long while before exhaustion took over and Max fell asleep in her arms, his own arms still wrapped tightly around her slim waist.

Gazing down at him, she brushed his bangs away from his sweaty forehead. He was such a broken man; a soul that lived in pain for so long it bordered on shattering. She didn't know if there was anyway she could bring him away from the dark and back into the light; he was under so deep. But, though unintentionally revealing to her about his wife and child, it was a start.

Perhaps there was still hope after all.

TBC!! well what do you think??? good? bad? pk? feedback on this please! :wink:
My AU dreamer fics:
The Auction Teen/Adult)
Watching Clouds

Amber Eyes
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Amber Eyes »

Just quickly dropping off this short chapter before I go to bed.

Enjoy!

Part 6

A few hours later, Max stirred groggily awake. He felt something soft and warm under his cheek. Looking up, he saw that Liz was fast asleep, and his face was lying against her breast. Without moving, he simply stared up at her sleeping face. Peaceful. Calm. She looked as vulnerable as the day he found her in the woods.

Who was she?

Why was she here?

Why did she seem to have this effect on him? What had prompted him (albeit unintentionally) to reveal his sorrow and pain regarding his wife and child to her? He had also nearly revealed his cause of guilt to her.

"Who are you really Liz Parker?" He asked in a whisper.

Liz continued to slumber.

"If Gods and Angels really did exist, are you one of them? Is that why no one knows who you are? Did Cara send you?" Max frowned then sat up, careful not to disturb her. "What the hell am I saying? you're just a normal girl who got lost in the woods and suffered some sort of amnesia. Gods and Angels don't exist. Cara is gone." He got up and placed a blanket over Liz then walked towards the hall that lead to his room. But before he left, he turned back to look at Liz and said in a quiet whisper, "But hypothetically, if you are an Angel, please help me. I miss Cara so much. I... I don't know how to move on. I don't want to forget her." He choked back on his tears. "Please help me." Was his final silent plea before he walked to his room and quietly shut the door.

Once Liz heard the door click shut, she opened her eyes. tears slipped down her cheeks in hearing Max's inner plea for help even though his mind had refused to believe a higher cosmic help.

"I'm trying Max; I'm trying. Please don't give up. Have faith." She whispered to the empty room.

TBC!! Sorry its short or if it sucked, I'm still working on the next chapter, so it'll be longer. :D

As usual, feedback would be appreciated. I wanna hear your thoughts and feeling on it.
My AU dreamer fics:
The Auction Teen/Adult)
Watching Clouds

Amber Eyes
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Amber Eyes »

Part 7

Over the next three weeks, Max and Liz had fallen into a daily routine. Each morning, Liz would awaken to the smell of delectable food, and each morning Max would give her one of his 'morning grins' that positively melted her heart. On some mornings, Liz would try to make them breakfast; but it took her a while to get it in a edible state. The first few times she tried, they ended up eating egg shells along with the scrambled eggs, plus the salt amount was torture for their taste-buds. The second time, less egg shells, but not enough flavour since Liz got scared to add too much salt. The bacon didn't go unscathed either. First attempt ended up with the super black and crispy meat in the bin; second time, it was undercooked, but that was easily remedied and was re-cooked for a bit longer. (With the supervision of Max of course!) Over time, Liz's cooking improved, much to her pleasure. Next on her list was pancakes......

Neither of them had spoken about the night when Max had broken down in tears; the subject was constantly hovering there between them in the background; but neither of them brought it forward to discuss it more.

Liz had begun to gain Max's trust as they got used to living together; they would eat breakfast together in the mornings, and if the weather permitted it, go for a walk and visit their special sanctuary overlooking the sea. After they would either go into town for any required shopping such as groceries, or would head straight home. In the evenings, they would either watch movies together, read, or play board games Max had found above a shelf.

Life seemed pretty normal.

But in truth, behind the normality, raw emotions still swam in Max. As for Liz, her time was running out, but she remained hopeful that she could still help him move on with his life. The strangest thing was, the more time she spent with Max, the more fond she grew of him. He made her laugh and feel happy; made her heart ache with sadness when she saw him suffering alone, especially at night; he made her made her feel so many different human emotions she could barely understand them all.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Late one evening, they sat around the coffee table in front of the warm fireplace playing a game of Monopoly. A bowl of popcorn and two cups of hot chocolate sat between them.

"No! I can't believe this. This is the second time I landed on Mayfair." Max complained

Liz held up her hands. "Not my doing. maybe you should admit you like staying at my hotels." Liz grinned teasingly at him.

"Not this time sweet-cheeks, I'm afraid I'll pass on the stay, not enough dough."

Liz blinked in confusion. "Dough?" hey, wasn't that what they used to make bread?

Max waved what remained of his money at her.

"Oh."

The human language can be quite complicating at times. They sounded the same and yet meant different things.

Liz looked down at the little rows of houses and hotels. "Well, you're gonna have to play something...."

"You wouldn't be so cruel as to render a guy homeless and penniless would you?" Max teased.

"I wouldn't, but the game will." She grinned at him.

By the end of the game, Max lost virtually everything to Liz.

"You wanna play again?" Liz asked hopefully. She was on a winning streak! and besides, she liked spending time with Max. She also didn't want him going to sleep soon since he had nightmares on most nights.

Max yawned and stretched his arms over his head to loosen the kinks from his stiff body.

"Maybe tomorrow. I'm beat."

Liz giggled at his double meaning.

Getting up, Liz walked to her bedroom to get ready for bed. When she came out the bathroom, she went to say 'Goodnight' to Max and found him yet again holding a glass of amber liquid. He sat back on the sofa with his head leaning back and his eyes closed.

Liz walked into the living room and sat down next to him. She crossed her legs beneath her and studies him.

Max opened his eyes and looks at her.

"Max, why do you drink that? it smells funny."

Max blinked at her statement, then began to laugh. He shook his head.

"I take it you're not much of a drinker. Me? I don't mind it so much." He took a mouthful of brandy and felt the burn travel down his throat and settle in his stomach.

"Can I have some too?" Liz figured she could try another angle in helping him, though she wasn't sure whether she'd succeed or not. Though, the smell from Max's drink was making her stomach roll. Her stomach never rolled..... well that was due to Angels not needing to eat or drink.

Max raised his eyebrows at her. "I don't think--"

"I'm thirsty." Liz said throwing his earlier lie back at him.

"Uh...."

Liz got up off the sofa and walked to the cabinet to retrieve another glass tumbler. Sitting down next to Max, she looked at the amount in his glass and poured a similar amount.

"Liz, if you're not used to alcohol, maybe you shouldn't--"

Liz took a sniff of the strong liquid and cringed. Taking a breath, she downed a whole mouthful. Her face, throat and stomach immediately felt burning hot as she began to cough. Her hand covered her mouth as she tried not to vomit. That that was a sensation she never wanted to feel again!

"Geez, Liz are you ok?" Max rubbed his hands up and down her back trying to soothe her.

After a while, Liz felt a little more settled. She nodded at him, her eyes still watering.

"People shouldn't drink this stuff when they're thirsty. This stuff'll kill'em. Why can't they just stick with water or fruit juice." Liz wiped the rest of her tears away.

Max sighed. Liz was right, this stuff will probably be his undoing in the end, but then he might be with his beloved Cara again. But not until he got Liz safely back to her family. Wherever they are.

"Liz, I lied. I don't drink this stuff because I'm thirsty. Look, sometimes, a person needs some comfort and peace in their life, especially at a difficult time, and this," he indicated to his drink "brings it."

Liz looked at him for a moment then shook her head. "No, it doesn't. And if it did, it's only temporary."

"It's better than nothing."

"Max, there are other ways to bring comfort and peace in a persons life; ways which are more longer lasting and fulfilling."

"But when that's taken away from you, you have to look for alternatives."

Liz knew he was referring to his late wife. She had been his comfort, his peace of mind and his life. And now she was gone.

Sitting back against the sofa, Liz looked up at Cara's portrait. "Max, tell me about your life, how did you meet your wife?"

"Liz...."

"Please, I'd like to know." She said softly.

Max was silent for a while, and Liz feared he'd close up on her again.

Then he spoke. But his voice was detached of feeling.

"There's not a lot to tell. I had a normal childhood; went to school, hung out with friends.... got knocked around by my dad on a regular basis...."

Liz sucked in a breath. She had a feeling she wasn't going to like what she was about to hear. But if it gave her an insight into Max.....

Max's voice and expression had taken on a faraway look, like he was back in the past whilst telling her the story in the present.

"My mom died when I was 18. I was out one day, I worked for Maria's parents in their company as an intern learning the ropes. When I got home one evening, I found dad passed out on the couch from one of his drinking binges; mom was lying unconscious in the kitchen. God, the way she looked, all battered and bloody.... The doctors couldn't help her. She died from severe internal bleedings. Dad got sent to prison, and I haven't heard or seen him since. Thank goodness for Maria and her family's support. I don't know what I would've done without them." Max scrubbed his hands down his face and sighed.

"What about your other family?"

"Mom and dad were only children, so I didn't have aunts, uncles or cousins."

Liz hesitated before pressing on. "How did you meet your wife?"

"Liz, I don't think I'm--"

"Max, you've come this far; you've bottled up long enough." She reached for his hand and squeezed it gently for support.

Max swallowed the lump in his throat and tried to keep his tears at bay. He squeezed her small warm hand in return.

"Cara was also an intern at the Marketing firm. Since we were both new, we spent lots of time together helping each other out. We started off as friends, then dated for about 2 years before I finally asked her to marry me. She said yes! It was the happiest day in my life. We agreed to wait a few years before we had children; we wanted to be more financially stable to give our child a comfortable upbringing. Five years later, this year to be exact, we were expecting our first baby. For once, in my life, things were going right. I was happy, we were happy. But I guess fate had other plans for us." Max said bitterly. "She died in a car accident. They told me a truck had lost control and rammed straight into her car. The car had flipped so many times it was a mangled mess." Max was crying; his pain flowing down his cheeks in salty rivers. "The press had been at the scene.... they published a picture and article about the wreck....."

Liz couldn't take it anymore, her own tears coursing down her own cheeks, she pulled Max into a comforting embrace.

"Max, why do you feel so guilty? why are you still punishing yourself? it was an accident."

"It might have been an accident, but I could've stopped it; prevented it to begin with. It was my fault; all my fault!"

Liz caressed his back in soothing strokes.

"Tell me." She encouraged.

"I can't Liz. If I say it, it will make it so much more real. I just can't.... not right now." He buried his face into her neck inhaling the soft scent of her hair. It calmed him somewhat.

"It's ok Max, whenever you're ready; it doesn't have to be now."

Max was opening up to her, he trusted her enough to do that. It was the first step to his recovery.

TBC!! As usual, feedback please!! I'm sorry for he lack of updates, but RL has a tendency to catch up with me. :roll:
My AU dreamer fics:
The Auction Teen/Adult)
Watching Clouds

Amber Eyes
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Amber Eyes »

Angel Eyes: Ok, since you wanted for it to be posted in two parts, and were the only one who replied, this one's for you! Let me know what you think!

I'll try and get the rest of it up as soon as I can. :wink:

Part 8 A

Cold water splashed on his tired skin, soothing it in a wet caress.

Max braced his hands on the sink and looked at his reflection in the mirror.

"Who are you?" The man in the mirror had no answer. He just stared back at him.

Who was he? Who was this strange man he had become? Where was the happy go lucky Max Evans from so long ago?

He was lost.

Lost to an alcoholic sea of sadness and despair the day his lost his wife and child. He had been drifting for so long, no hope in sight. But now.... now there was a light.

His mind drifted to Liz. She was right, alcohol wasn't a permanent fix. It helped numb him at night, but deep inside he could still feel the anguish knawing away at him.

His splashed more water on his face and stared at his reflection once more.

Had he become so lost he had become his father? NO! He would not, will not become the man he despised.

Aside from the alcohol, what else took his mind off the aching pain of loss? Max asked his mind.

Liz.

One simple word that floated into his mind and made his heart smile warmly. Max smiled into the mirror, a smile that turned into a grin. Yeah, though Liz appeared innocent and childish to the world, she did make him smile a lot more, plus his heart felt a lot lighter when he was with her. Though he had found it hard, talking to her about his bottled up pain had eased his burden somewhat.

Knock knock

"Yeah?"

"Woof ! woof!"

Max heard Liz's light laughter.

"Max, I think Bruno beat me in telling you breakfast is ready."

Uh oh.... she cooked?

"Sure, uh, I'll be out in a minute. Um, what did you make?"

"Pancakes!" Liz replied through the door with enthusiasm.

Max gulped. Oh god! The last few times she had tried to master making pancakes had been every chef's nightmare! Not to mention it wasn't just the utensils that needed cleaning, but the whole kitchen too! As for the pancake themselves.... to runny, to burnt, plus half the batter hadn't really made it to the pan than the floor and counter. Bruno had seemed to enjoy cleaning up while they cooked. Every time they looked at him, all they saw was his pink tongue lapping at the spilt mixture.

"Pancakes, that's.... great. I'll see you in the kitchen"

"Ok, but don't dawdle too long or it'll get cold." Liz said cheerfully.

With that, he heard her walk away with Bruno's lighter pitta patter of paws bounding after her.

He turned once more to his reflection. A resolve settling over his soul. Opening the cabinet door, he took out his razor.

Max had been in the bathroom for 15 minutes and still hadn't come out. getting worried, Liz was halfway across the kitchen to check on him when Max appeared at the doorway.

"Smells good!" He said whilst giving her one of his trademark grins.

Liz simply stood there in the middle of the kitchen frozen in awe.

Max had shaved away his growing beard. who knew that beneath all that grubby hair was a face that looked boyish and a few years younger.

Feet having a mind of their own, she walked over to him transfixed on his beautiful face. There were shadows under his eyes, his skin was a little sunken, no doubt from the stress. Unable to stop herself, she leaned in close to him and traced a finger down his now smooth face. She looked up into his amber hued eyes; there was something different about him; something lighter in his aura as it brushed with hers. She touched his raven bangs and laughed to herself. 'He needs a haircut.'

Max saw the mirth in her eyes.

"Yeah, I know, I need a haircut."

'Reading my thought now are you Mr Evans?'

Of course he didn't, but continued to stare at her.

From the moment she saw him enter the kitchen, something had changed with Max, and it wasn't just his appearance. But that wasn't all; it wasn't just Max.... it was herself too. Something had changed between them. Unfamiliar with the feelings, it scared her a little, but at the same time she felt it could be wonderful.

Max lifted a hand and gently brushed a strand of hair away from her face, tucking it behind her ear. Then, instead of letting his hand fall, he let his fingers brush softly against her soft flawless cheeks. he was happy to see all the cuts and bruises had faded away and healed. his gaze drifted to her soft looking rosy lips. Liz heard him swallow as he met her gaze once more.

"Liz...."

One low husky word came from his mouth. Liz didn't say a word, instead she watched as his head slowly leaned in towards hers closing the distance between them. His lips slowly brushed over hers in a soft caress. Instinctively, she closed her eyes. Feelings Liz had yet to understand swam inside her. She felt his mouth apply a bit more pressure over hers, felt the tip of his tongue glide sensually across her lips coaxing her mouth to open to him. She obliged. She could feel his mouth working magically over hers, his right hand still holding her cheek, his remaining hand snaked around her waist and pulled her up against his hard body. A moan of pleasure tore from her throat.

"Liz..." He sighed her name into her mouth with his continued kisses.

"Max...." A breathless word was all she could manage. She pressed her body closer against his, her hands resting against his chest. "Oh Max....."

Suddenly Liz broke away from him, her cheeks flaming red, her lips swollen from his kisses. They were both breathing deeply as if starved of oxygen.

"Liz?"

Liz stared at him wide-eyed. "P...pancakes!" With that, she turned and walked to the table, picked the plate of pancakes and placed it in the microwave to re-heat it. She kept her back to him as she walked to the sink to wash the remaining pan. She was about to dip her hands into the water when she saw Tess there making kissy faces at her then winked devilishly. Liz scowled at her sister and splashed a hand across the water. Tess's image disappeared.

"Liz..." Liz looked up at Max to find him standing beside her. "About before, I.... I'm sorry. I didn't mean--"

"It's ok Max. Lets just forget about it."

The timer dinged cutting off Max's next words.

Rinsing the pan, Liz pulled the plug and dried her hands. Taking the plate of pancakes to the table, she glanced back at Max and gave him a forced smile.

"We should eat up while its hot."

Together they ate in awkward silence.

The good thing that came out of it was the pancakes weren't half bad!

TBC!!!
My AU dreamer fics:
The Auction Teen/Adult)
Watching Clouds

Amber Eyes
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Amber Eyes »

Hi,

yes, its me. My god, RL has been sooo hectic!! Started 3rd year of uni is so not fun! Plus my car is cursed. I keep getting into these bloddy accidents that luckily for me wasn't too serious, though i can't say the same for my car. Not to mention all this others tuff happening inm y life ugh! Ok, enough wth me.

Thank you soo much for the feedback and bumps! I really appreciate it.

Cpater 8 is jsut getting waaay too long, so I'll post them in parts.

Part 8b

After breakfast, they went for their usual morning trek. Bruno bounded ahead of them. Opening a plastic bag, Liz began to scout the ground.

"Liz, what are you doing?"

"Collecting stuff."

Finding a fairly intact fair-cone, she placed it into the bag then bent over once more to look for more natural foresty goodies.

An hour later, and a quater bag full of goodies, they felt the first drops of rain fall upon them. Max looked up at the fast darkening sky.

"We'd better head back before it pours on us."

Turning around he whistled to Bruno, who instantly came bounding to his master's feet.

"Come on boy, lets head home."

Once home, Liz laid out old newspapers on the kitchen floor then tipped the contents out of the bag onto it. Sitting comfortably on the floor, she began sorted through her collection with glee.

Max stood there and watched her. What she was doing seemed like simple childish happiness, but Liz was no child. She was definitely 100% woman. Young and delicate like a wildflower, and soft as a baby kitten. Max had no idea of the feelings his heart had suddenly developed. He still missed his wife terribly, but with Liz around, she seemed to spread her innocent happiness over to him. His thoughts drifted to happier places when he was near her. She took his pain away. When she had touched him earlier; had stood so close to him, he had felt a strange connection to her. Unable to resist, he had leaned in and kissed her. Though she had kissed like an innocent - shyly and unsure - there had been definite sparks between them. Was that why she had pulled away? had she felt it too? or had he scared her with his spontaneous move? Max had no clue.

Walking to the small kitchen TV, Max switched it on.

".....weather reports indicate a heavy storm will be blowing its way through Angel falls this weekend. It has been advised that everyone should stock up on food and necessities such as candles and torches. Sandbags should be placed on doors to stop any flood damages. All personnel should stay indoors until the storm has passed. We will keep you updated on the weather progress....."

Max turned down the volume and turned to face Liz. She was looking intently at the TV screen. Her gaze drifted up to meet his, worry-lines creased her forehead.

"Don't worry Liz, it's just a storm, it'll pass. We'll be fine. Come on, lets see what we still need for the weekend."

Liz cleared up her collection then joined Max to inventory the cottage.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

The quiet little town of Angel Falls was bustling with people shopping for supplies in preparation for the oncoming storm.

Max and Liz mingled with the crowds and bought what they needed. At one point, Liz had found Max standing in the alcohol isle. He just stood there and stared at the bottles on the shelves.

"Max?"

"Huh? oh, hi Liz, you get everything you needed?"

"Yup. Uh, are you gonna buy more of this awful stuff?" She scrunched up her face in disgust.

Max laughed at her expression then sighed in resignation.

"I'd probably better not." He took her hand and lead her to the cashiers. As long as he had Liz, he would try his best to back away from the booze. It'll probably be hell, depending on how addicted he was to the stuff, but he wanted real long-term happiness, not just temporary.

As they walked down the sidewalk, Liz was enchanted by the multicoloured flashing Christmas ornaments and lights. The windows were frosted with fake snow, and Christmas trees and tinsel filled the display.

Stopping at one of the shops, she peered into the window. Her warm breath misted the glass in front of her face.

Max stopped abruptly and doubled back when he realized Liz wasn't following.

"Liz?"

Liz stepped away from the display window, but her gaze never left it.

"Yeah?"

Max saw the longing in her face. Who was he to stop her from celebrating Christmas? a twinge of a feeling pulled at his heart.

"If you want to buy some decorations for Christmas we can get some."

Liz looked up at him. he saw excitement and joy in her eyes, but there was also something else.

"No, that's ok Max. I know you don't like Christmas. You said so last time. And besides, I'm just a guest at the cottage. It would be rude of me to impose so many things." She turned and gave one last longing look at the window. "I was just admiring." Placing her gloved hand into her pockets, Liz snuggled her chin into her thick scarf and began to walk around Max.

Max placed a hand on her arm to stop her.

"I now I snapped at you last time, but...." he sighed, his breath creating a misty smoke in the air. "The last Christmas I had was the very last one I shared with Cara. Christmas just reminds me of how I won't be sharing anymore Christmas's with her." Max turned his face away and blinked his eyes rapidly. "I won't ever see my child opening his presents at the crack of dawn on Christmas day. I won't hear the happy shouts or see the smiles. I won't be ever be spending another day with my wife and child as a family." Max choked on his words. He sniffed in a cold cleaning breath and turned to face Liz. he saw no pity in her eyes; just compassion for a broken man who had lost his family.

Liz placed her palm on his cheek. "Your wife was a very lucky woman to have someone like you to love her. I'm sorry she passed away before her time."

"Yeah, me too."

They stood there in comfortable silence when something soft and white fluttered down on them. They both looked up at the sky.

It was snowing.

'Hmm, cousin Boreas must be carving one of his ice sculptures again. he does that a lot this time of year; ever since he lost the bet to Zephyrus for Chloris's love. Why he tortures himself with the bitter memories I have no idea. As if living in the cold Arctic clouds wasn't bad enough. It's enough to make an unfeeling angel chatter with cold. But he seems to like it. Hmm, I have to visit him sometime after this is over, he seems so lonely this time of year.'

At the thought of her time on earth being over, something colder than ice settled over her. After this was over, she'd be going back to her old life as a heavenly being, and Max.... Max would move on with his life without her. They'd never see each other again. She supposed she could look in on him from time to time through the viewing pool, it wouldn't be the same as being with him in person, but at least she got to see him that way.

"Liz? you ok?"

"Uh, yeah."

"Come on, lets go inside."

As Max pushed the door open, a bell jingled merrily above their heads. A woman in her early 50s looked up from behind the counter and smiled warmly at them.

Browsing around, Max and Liz picked out lots of coloured tinsel, multicoloured and plain lights that twinkled and non-twinkled. baubles and other Christmas ornaments were also added to their growing pile.

Liz split away from Max and said she'd meet him at the counter after she looked at some other items.

Walking around the tall shelves, she saw an ornament that seemed to draw her to it. Picking it up she examined it and a smiled crossed her lips. 'Perfect.'

It was a good thing Max had given her some money that day, saying she could use it to buy any personal items she wanted or needed. Peeking around the corner, she saw Max wasn't at the counter. 'Good.' she thought. She went over to the counter and quickly paid for the item hiding it in a small shopping bag.

Max appeared behind her.

"Did you buy something?"

Liz jumped and gave a startled yelp. Yet another one of those odd human feelings, though this time it made her heart pound in her chest.

"Heavens! you startled me!"

Max grinned at her. "Sorry. So what did you get?" He tried to peer into the bag, but Liz held it away from him.

"uih, it's nothing. Just something for me that's all. Um, have you paid for the decoration yet?"

"Yeah, and I got us a tree too."

Liz had this sudden image of a tree sticking out through all the windows of the car.

"Uh, Max I don't think that's gonna fit in the truck."

The cashier laughed. "Don't worry hun, I'll get Jack - he's my husband - to deliver the tree later when he gets back this afternoon."

"Thank you, that's very kind of you."

With another merry jingle of the door bell, Max and Liz left for home.

TBC!! Feedback please! Oh and the whole thing about Li'z cousins and the whole bet thing, well, I came across the reference about the 3 gods and goddess and I just changed the concept to suit my story, dunno if its true though. The names etc. So don't hold too much on that. this just entertainment.
My AU dreamer fics:
The Auction Teen/Adult)
Watching Clouds