Unbreakable - A Beautiful Lie (AU M/L ADULT) COMPLETE 5/5/17 + A/N 5/5/19

This is the place to post stories that significantly alter the show's canon or mythology such as prequels, backgrounds for the characters that differ from on the show, fics where different characters are alien, and alternative family relationships. These fics must contain aliens or alien storylines as part of their plot.

Moderators: Anniepoo98, Rowedog, ISLANDGIRL5, Itzstacie, truelovepooh, FSU/MSW-94, Hunter, Island Breeze, Forum Moderators

max and liz believer
Obsessed Roswellian

ONE ZERO NINE

Post by max and liz believer »

L-J-L 76
Max and Isabel better do something before Tess kills Liz.
Let's hope for that.

Thank you for the feedback!

Helen (roswelllostcause) - Thank you for the feeback!

Carolyn (keepsmiling7) - Thank you for the feedback!
Merry Christmas........it is a difficult and crazy world right now. I have a family member living in Germany right now and I think about her every day. We'll look for you later.
I hope your family member is okay. And that you had a Merry Christmas <3

Natalie36 - Thank you :D
Merry Christmas and a Happy and Healthy new year. Take your time we love your stories we will wait. :D
Thank you so much :D And I hope you had a merry christmas too and wishing you a wonderful 2017!

Eve (begonia9508)
Wow! that was a nightmare... everybody who was a friend - are nw dead... And Tess has Liz... that not a nice way for Liz to die, as Max stood of the other side of the gate but maybe... it is Tess who has mindwarped them? With her, everything is possible!
You're right. With Tess, everything's possible.
Thanks and have a nice and happy Christmas time!
Thank you :D I hope you had a merry Christmas too :D

Michelle17
Hi and thank you for the note. Merry Christmas and Happy New Years
Thank you :D I hope you had a merry christmas too and wishing you a great 2017 :D

smileeUk
Just want to say this story is so amazing with so many unexpected storylines around.
Welcome to this story :D I'm so happy to have you here :mrgreen: And thank you so much for the above comment :D :D :D
You spent time on the details of everyone's character is just one of the many good reasons to keep reading it.
I love multilayered characters, so it means a lot to me that you say that because I'm aiming for detailed characterizations :D
I love this Liz with strong will & mind and not be afraid to speak her mind. Max is so loving & protective of Liz - my dream man :mrgreen:
Thank you :mrgreen:
I can't wait to find out more about Michael & Maria's interaction. Pairing of Alex & Isabel may be on the horizon - so I hope :mrgreen:
My lips are sealed :wink:
I wish you all a joyous holiday!!
Thank you! I hope you had a joyous and wonderful holiday :D

Thank you so so so much for your feedback!! I appreciate it so much!

You know the backstory by now, I hope, so let’s start at the point when Max, Liz and their friends and family had to flee from their enemies and go into hiding. At first they were at a big house which had previously served as a hostel. There, Liz and Max tried to recuperate and heal from everything that had happened to them at the hands of Command, Sergeant and his son (Sean), when they had been held captive. Isabel helped Liz out both by keeping things light in conversations, but mostly through teaching her yoga and how to breathe. Max tried to keep Liz afloat while fighting his own demons.

But their time at the hostel had a deadline. Eventually the enemy caught up with them and they fled. Down underground. They were confronted by their enemies at one point, which dangerously wounded Alex and almost killed Max. Liz became the one to bring Max back, with the help from the connection and the supply of energies of the aliens around her. Together, Max and Liz healed Alex. In the underground tunnels they also met Dresden, the leader of the rebellion. He leads them to an underground facility where they are able to rest and train for a couple of days.

Before Tess comes knocking on Liz’s dreams, while at the same time someone breaks into the compartment and decapitates Diane.

The group is forced on the run again, heading towards the areas where Command and his men are supposed to be. Where the war is already being fought. Liz’s father and Maria are being taken to another destination, where they are to be kept safe away from the war. Upon reaching their destination, the group is split up and Liz and Max are separated from the rest. Moving through smoke-filled corridors, trying to stay alive and killing aliens, they eventually encounter a hurt and desperate Isabel. She tells them that she’s alone; that everyone else is dead. That she is the sole survivor of the original group.

Not having the energy to let this new information sink in, Max and Liz get Isabel back on track. They have to continue. They have to find Command. They have to try and win the war. But shortly after they have started to move again, a deafening alarm sounds while gates are closing throughout the corridors. Isabel doesn’t appear to feel too good and Max focuses on helping her move, leaving Liz a few steps behind. Liz is just about to go through the closing gates, following Max and Isabel, when something snags on her ponytail. The gate closes and Liz is trapped on the ”wrong” side.

The end of the most recent chapter comes here:

From ONE ZERO EIGHT:

He stopped just on the other side of the gate, looking at me, and I was just about to take his outstretched hand when his eyes widened and he yelled in terror in my head,
Watch out!, but it was too late.

Just before the two opposing doors closed, leaving an opening that would have been big enough for me to squeeze through but not for Max to squeeze back, something grabbed my pony tail and tugged on it sharply, pulling me back. Away from the closing doors. Away from Max and Isabel. Trapping me on the wrong side of the closing gates.

My heart jumped into my throat and my eyes were on Max’s face, his mouth shaping to scream words that were not audible over the sound of the alarm, my mind stating one simple fact.

I’m dead. This is when I die.

But with the final clanging of the gates, signifying the completion of the closing process, the alarm stopped and the lights blinked back on, leaving only the consequential ringing in our ears.

An arm had snaked around my throat, pressing tightly against my windpipe, another arm was around my waist.

With the gradually tapering ringing, I started hearing Max’s voice, who was still yelling words. On the other side of the closed gates.

Max’s eyes were furious, his body language wild as he seemed to want to break down the bars with his bare hands.

Cold moist lips touched my ear and a whispered exclamation chilled my blood with déjà vu. ”Boo!”

Finally, Max’s words got through my crippled eardrums. ”Get the fuck away from her, Tess!”

I felt her breath ruffle my hair. I smelled the sweat on her skin and felt the warmth from her body.

My eyes were on Max. On his dark, furious face. In my mind I heard his heart throb with fear, which had my own heartbeat share in that rhythm of terror.

Max feared what this woman might do to me and his fear terrified me.

Behind muffled hearing - Max’s screamed threats to Tess still appearing far away - I focused on the foreign arms around my body. Almost naturally, I was conjuring the same method of protection which I had used when Sean had been attempting to force himself on me.

With the energy building inside of me, a soft hint of relief playing in Max’s dark eyes, Tess didn’t react the same way that Sean did. Instead of anger and pain, Tess simply laughed while her skin started heating.

”He’s taught you a thing or two, hasn’t he?” she asked in the most gleeful of voices. ”That’s my man. Ever the resourceful one.”

Even with the smell of burning skin I started to doubt that it was working. Maybe the connection was more deprived of energy than I had thought.

Tess continued to restrain me. Even with her skin burning, her hold was only tightening, cutting off my air supply.

My eyes were on Max that entire time. I saw the relief flee his facial features. I saw him start rattling the bars again, desperation and dark anger rolling off him, when he realized that my attack on Tess wasn’t making her release me.

”Hasn’t anyone ever told you to not play with fire?” Tess mused in my ear, while the heat of her skin was starting to hurt my own due to the close proximity of our bodies.

”Get off me,” I pressed out through clenched teeth. Max’s anger was feeding into me, slowly obliterating my fear and vulnerability.

By sharing the memories of his encounters with Tess with me, Max was making me stronger. He was providing me with an instant reason to dislike - even hate - the person who had separated me from Max and Isabel.

Tess giggled. The giggle quickly burst into full fledged laughter with an air of lunacy and I saw Max’s face pale behind the shadows of his anger.

Her arm pressed into my throat, choking me. The panic at not being able to breathe started in my chest, with my burning lungs, and quickly spread through my body.

She was strong. The strength was plausibly originating from her insanity. But since it was being used to strangle me, my body tapped into an adrenaline-induced well of strength.

Her arm around my middle had captured my arms, but only barely. Teetering on breathlessness, I freed my arms and used them to pull at the arm she had around my throat. The oxygen deprivation was making me weak, but within seconds I had managed to pull her arm upwards where I angled my chin downwards to bite into her burnt underarm.

Fluid which had accumulated in the heat blisters on her arm crept into my mouth when my teeth ruptured the thin layer. The warm transparent fluid touched the tastebuds on my tongue, but I pressed the disgust back and sank my teeth as deep as I could to inflict as much pain as possible.

I could fight without powers too. I had the survival instinct of a human being.

Finally, pain seemed to register with her and her laughter melted into a loud deep scream that tore through my ears while I got loose and spun out of her grip.

For the first time, I was face to face with the real Theresa Harding.

My first observation was that she was a tattered version of the Tess I had met in my dreams.

Her hair was tangled and oily, a disorganized mess around her face. Her skin was red and blistering (most likely because of what I had just tried to do to her), with blood dripping from the arm where I had just bit her. Her clothes were torn and dirty, her feet bare and blackened. The expression in her eyes was feral. Her lips had been painted with lipstick, but the lipstick had ended up more around the outside of the lips than on the lips themselves, making her look frighteningly similar to a clown.

And the clown was happily smiling at me.

She’s insane, I realized.

Max had told me as much, so had Max’s father and Dresden, but to actually stand in front of a mentally disturbed person was horrifying.

She was only two feet away from me, still I could smell her. Smell her inability to look after her own hygiene, smell her madness.

I took a step back towards Max. A slow and cautious step, since I had no idea what powers Tess had (except mind illusions). I was prepared to throw the protective field up, almost positive that she would fire a blast at me.

She did indeed raise her arm and she did release some kind of energy. But behind the protective field I had instantly produced between her and me, I saw the bars to the gate behind me (gradually, but quickly) turn a rusty color before lighting up in a glowing red.

Turning to face Max and Isabel - my side facing Tess - I saw Max rapidly jerk his hands off the bars and I felt the whispers of his burn through the connection. Keeping a constant eye on Tess in my peripheral vision, I noted that she was still keeping her arm raised, continuously heating the bars with her energy.

In effect, she was preventing me from getting physically close to Max, which would have strengthened our connection.

”Did you get the news, Max?” Tess singsonged with increasing redness to her face. ”Did you hear about your daddy dearest?”

Max’s face hardened while Tess continued, ”But he never was very dear to you, was he? You always had a problem with him, if I remember correctly.”

”Shut up,” I growled at her.

Max didn’t move. He barely appeared to be breathing. Tess turned, twinkling mirthful eyes at me.

”It’s true,” she emphasized with innocently raised eyebrows. It transformed her dirty face into the definition of a contradiction. Dirt and innocence. ”He hasn’t told you?”

She took a step towards me, but I remained rooted to my spot. I didn’t want her to intimidate me. Her teeth slowly sinking into her full bottom lip, she languidly shook her head while clicking her tongue. ”Max showed me everything. How much he hates being an alien. How much he hates his father. How annoying his sister is.”

”I didn’t show you anything,” Max stated coldly. Flatly.

Isabel was standing behind Max, face pale. My gaze stayed on her face, frowning at her color, recalling how she had been having difficulties walking just now. I looked at the blood on her clothes. Had there been that much before?

Next to me, Tess dropped her arm. The bars still glowed with heat and would surely retain the heat for some time.

Obviously refueling her energy, Tess turned to me, eyes cold but playful. ”They are so soft, aren’t they? Lovely, really. Warm. Heats you up.”

I pulled my gaze away from Isabel, simultaneously feeling how Max’s attention became divided. Split between me and his sister.

”What the hell are you talking about?” I bit out.

My eyes strayed to the stains of blood on the floor below Tess’ arm. Even with my aversion to blood, it was better to look at that dark redness than Tess’ face.

”His lips,” Tess answered simply.

The realization tore painfully through my chest. I visualized him - Max - kissing her and freezing trembles rushed through me with sharp prickling torment.

She angled her head to the side, blackness filling her eyes, while she pondered, ”I don’t like to share.”

”Me neither,” I grumbled, anger boiling in me. I wonder what she was referring to. But I had my suspicions.

She was insinuating that Max was hers.

Her laughter was sudden and loud. It stopped just as abruptly as it had started with her picking up on some kind of singsong rhyming, ”Ring around the rosie,” she took a step towards me, ”a pocket full of posies,” I took a step back, ”one,” she looked at Max, ”two,” she looked at my face with a grin spanning from ear to ear, ”three,” her eyes traveled down my body, making me feel exposed and ridiculed by the judging expression on her face, ”four.” She grew still and whispered, ”We all fall down down.”

”You’re insane,” I whispered back.

”You’ll see,” Tess said. ”He’ll break his crown and you will tumble.”

”He doesn’t belong to anyone,” I told her tightly, my chest aching with darkness. ”Especially not you.”

”You little whore,” she said quietly.

I swallowed. There was something in her voice that made me feel guilty even though I had done nothing wrong. Even though I was not what she was accusing me of.

Her voice grew louder, ”He was mine. They promised! He is mine.”

She frowned, looking lost as her gaze fell to the ground and flickered across the floor without aim. She continued talking, mostly to herself, ”Our children will never meet him. Tiny seeds that will never grow. They will eat me up from the inside. They’re starving. Eggs without life.”

I couldn’t look away. My eyes were fixed on her, tuned into her rambles. I was so transfixed by her words that her instant refocusing took me off guard.

Her head shot back up, her eyes wide opened with her pupils divulging the irises, her voice threatening and cold with the loud hiss of, ”You bitch!” and then I was flying through the air like a lifeless, vulnerable, fabric doll.

My right shoulder hit the wall first, the loud pop of the joint dislocating reverberating through my whole body. My head hit the wall next, pain exploding behind my eyes, dark spots blotching my vision. My body crumbled to a helpless pile of limps as the strong claws of gravity forced me to the floor with a numbing pang.

For the next few moments, I couldn’t tell what was going on outside of the ringing in my head. I was lying on a non-functional, aching shoulder, the muscles of my upper thighs were throbbing from the impact and my ankle was hurting from having been in the wrong position when my body had fallen on top of it.

My hearing was going in and out, like a bad radio reception, and I was fighting to not give in to the beckoning darkness.

Immersed in the thickness of pain and injury, I barely registered the burning sensation around my wrist, creeping up my arm, zinging the fine hairs and heating my skin.

It felt like I was moving. Like I was on a big wave, floating on top of the gentle movement.

Then it came to a stop and I was solid on the ground again, this time someone’s hand in my hair.

Before I had time to panic, my blurry brain communicating that it was Tess, Max’s voice made it through the thrumming in my injured head.

How was he close? All I knew was that I had been flung up against a wall several feet in the opposite direction of the gate that was already keeping me separated from Max.

A thrill of relief went through me.

Was the gate up?

Then I felt the increasing heat around my arm, quickly overriding the pain from my other injuries. Another type of heat was warming the top of my head and tiredly I figured that he was healing me. But while the heat to my scalp was soothing the pain in my head, the pain in my arm was intensifying.

I screamed as my unjoined arm was sharply pulled and Tess’ voice cut through my healing head. ”Get your hands off her or I’ll pull her whole arm off!”

The comforting heat to the top of my head vanished as quickly as someone blowing a candle out and the burning pain to my arm started to calm down.

”I’m gonna fucking kill you!” Max roared, his voice close.

Tess laughed. ”Maybe I should let her watch. That would teach her to not steal someone’s man.”

I bit my lip against the pain in my arm. The arm she was still holding onto with her clammy cold hand. The tears were stinging my eyes, but I refused to cry. She was probably watching me and I didn’t want to give her the satisfaction.

My eyes closed, I pressed my forehead to the dirty floor and tried to wish the pain away. Tried to focus on the connection and healing myself through Max.

It was like trying to hold on to a wet slippery rope. I caught it over and over again, but lost it. Over and over again. Max wasn’t focused. Max was focused on Tess and the danger she was posing to me.

”Watch what, you witch?!” he demanded.

I had never heard him that angry before. He even scared me.

Tess’ voice softened, ”When you fertilize me, of course.”

Vomit rushed up my esophagus and threatened to spill out on the floor in front of me.

”Let her go,” Max stated coldly. Tess’ statement about forcing me to watch when her and Max would be having sex was probably too much for Max to even respond to.

”Are you just gonna let them die?” Tess continued, sounding sincerely upset now. ”What kind of a man are you? What kind of father are you?”

”I’m not the father of your sick children, and I never will be,” Max replied.

Another sharp tug on my arm, the pain radiating down the arm and up my neck, paralyzing the pain centers of my brain.

”Show some respect, Maxwell!” Tess screamed furiously.

How are we going to get out of this? I wondered.

But even with the question being posed telepathically, no one answered. Tess was succeeding in what she was doing. She was scaring Max enough by torturing me, that he wasn’t focusing on the connection. All his attention was on Tess and trying to read her next move.

With that realization, I tried to reorganize. I focused on my breathing, focused on the memory of Isabel’s yoga sessions, and tried to think away the pain from the arm that Tess was carelessly swinging back and forth, the head of my humerus bumping against surrounding muscles, ligaments, and the outside of my shoulder joint, sending impossible pain into my body.

I tuned out the conversation going on around me, where my occasional screams of pain only gave Tess more power while Max became increasingly desperate to do whatever Tess wanted only to put a stop to my pain.

Just like I had at the beginning of our relationship, I focused on finding that strong core of the connection between us. The very center.

The pain exploded more intensely and my heart rate tripled while a scream tore through my chest.

Vaguely I heard Tess laugh and the connection I had been focusing on was getting cooler rather than warmer.

Desperation gripped tightly around my heart when Tess let go off my injured arm and it fell heavily to the floor while the heat from Max’s body dimmed.

Then her voice close to my ear, whispering, ”She’s dying now. Just like you. Chip chop chip chop.” Giggles. ”Here comes a candle to light you to bed. Here comes a chopper to chop off your head. Chip chop chip chop - the last man's dead.”

There was suction in the center of my body now.

Max was using a large amount of energy.

The only time that happened was during healing. But he wasn’t healing me. He wasn’t healing himself.

That only left-

”How does it feel to not be important anymore? Look at you. You’re in pain. You’re in so much pain.”

The pain intensified in me, as if her words made my body realize how much in pain I really was.

”And he just leaves you.”

She clicked her tongue again, as if she was disappointed in Max.

I wasn’t. I knew what must be happening. Isabel was dying. She had been injured previously. Her imminent death was one of few reasons why he would not be able to focus on me right now. Even when I needed him.

He was weak now too. He was pulling a lot of energy from me. Something he wouldn’t do if he didn’t need to. Especially not when I was hurt.

His actions didn’t make me worry about myself or how vulnerable I had become, rather it made me worry about Isabel.

”Just forget about him,” Tess continued. ”He certainly has forgotten about you.”

I was not one to listen to the ravings of a madman, and I wouldn’t start now. While she kept on trying to pull me off balance, I did everything to remain stable. I concentrated on feeding Max the energy he needed while biting my teeth hard against the pain.

It was something in her tone of voice that brought me back to listening to Tess. Something about the smug surprise infiltrating her statement, ”Oh, well look at that.”

It had me opening my eyes and lifting my forehead off the floor. Pain shot down my neck as I raised my head and took in my surroundings.

Stumbling in from a side corridor, with blood running from his hairline just above his temple, was my father.

My heart stopped beating and lodged in my throat as white blinding terror coursed through me.

With a bemused short laugh, Tess straightened and announced theatrically, ”Well, hello there! Welcome!”

TBC...
Last edited by max and liz believer on Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
Unbreakable (M/L, AU)
Facebook Page
My Imagination

Instagram: author_josephin_ripa
Morning Dreamgirl
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Unbreakable - A Beautiful Lie (AU M/L ADULT) Ch 109 1/7/17 p. 92

Post by Morning Dreamgirl »

Talk about a bitter ex. :shock:
Natalie36
Obsessed Roswellian

Post by Natalie36 »

Wow talk about a tantrum when not getting your way :shock: :shock:
keepsmiling7
Roswell Fanatic

Post by keepsmiling7 »

First, many thanks for the recap.
I forget things and really appreciate this.
Poor Liz trapped behind the gate.................and with Tess of all people.
Max said Tess was insane, and he was correct.
Now her father arrives.......what's next??
Thanks, Carolyn
Roswelllostcause
Roswell Fanatic

Post by Roswelllostcause »

Tess isn't just insane! She is a psychopath!

Helen
Check out my Author page for a list of my fics!

http://www.roswellfanatics.net/viewtopi ... 1&t=155639
begonia9508
Roswell Fanatic

Post by begonia9508 »

Wow! What for a start in 2017!

Insane is a too weak word to describe Tess but unfortunately, I don't know all the finesses of english to use another one! She is just..... to kill! :roll:

Thanks and waiting how they are going out of it! EVE :mrgreen:
- Les jouissances de l'esprit sont faites pour calmer les orages du coeur!
- On reconnaît le bonheur au bruit qu'il fait quand il s'en va!
- L'amour vous rend aveugle et le mariage vous redonne la vue!
max and liz believer
Obsessed Roswellian

ONE ONE ZERO

Post by max and liz believer »

Ashley (Morning Dreamgirl)
Talk about a bitter ex. :shock:
Yeah... :roll: :oops:

Thanks, hun :D

Natalie36
Wow talk about a tantrum when not getting your way :shock: :shock:
Yeah, not the most "normal" behavior. Thank you for the feedback! :D

Carolyn (keepsmiling7)
First, many thanks for the recap.
I forget things and really appreciate this.
Well, I'm the same, so I thought someone else might also find it helpful :wink:
Max said Tess was insane, and he was correct.
Max has spent a lot more time with Tess than we know, so he has a fairly good understanding of who Tess is.

Thank you for the feedback! :D

Helen (roswelllostcause)
Tess isn't just insane! She is a psychopath!
She might quite well be...

Eve (begonia9508)
Insane is a too weak word to describe Tess but unfortunately, I don't know all the finesses of english to use another one! She is just..... to kill! :roll:
You can yell at her in French if you want to. I'm sure Tess doesn't know French, so you'd be able to insult her without her being mad at you and posing any danger to you :wink:

From ONE ZERO NINE:

”How does it feel to not be important anymore? Look at you. You’re in pain. You’re in so much pain.”

The pain intensified in me, as if her words made my body realize how much in pain I really was.

”And he just leaves you.”

She clicked her tongue again, as if she was disappointed in Max.

I wasn’t. I knew what must be happening. Isabel was dying. She had been injured previously. Her imminent death was one of few reasons why he would not be able to focus on me right now. Even when I needed him.

He was weak now too. He was pulling a lot of energy from me. Something he wouldn’t do if he didn’t need to. Especially not when I was hurt.

His actions didn’t make me worry about myself or how vulnerable I had become, rather it made me worry about Isabel.

”Just forget about him,” Tess continued. ”He certainly has forgotten about you.”

I was not one to listen to the ravings of a madman, and I wouldn’t start now. While she kept on trying to pull me off balance, I did everything to remain stable. I concentrated on feeding Max the energy he needed while biting my teeth hard against the pain.

It was something in her tone of voice that brought me back to listening to Tess. Something about the smug surprise infiltrating her statement, ”Oh, well look at that.”

It had me opening my eyes and lifting my forehead off the floor. Pain shot down my neck as I raised my head and took in my surroundings.

Stumbling in from a side corridor, with blood running from his hairline just above his temple, was my father.

My heart stopped beating and lodged in my throat as white blinding terror coursed through me.

With a bemused short laugh, Tess straightened and announced theatrically, ”Well, hello there! Welcome!”

”Run!” I screamed, forcing my aching body upright. ”Run!”

My father’s surprised eyes flew to my face and mixture of terror and surprised recognition saturated his features. A weak, hopeful, ”Lizzie?”, before he took a step towards me.

My heart sank and I gestured with my unharmed arm for him to go back. ”No! No, don’t come any closer!”

Go back to where you came from, Daddy, I told him silently, tears clogging my throat. I can’t lose you too. I can’t.

”A friend of Liz, are you?” Tess mused gleefully and walked briskly towards my dad.

Her sharp steps had my father take a confused step backwards.

”Oh, I see the resemblance now,” Tess cried out happily as she stopped right in front of my father.

In horror, I watched her stretch her arm out and I screamed, ”Ruuuun!” and saw her grab dad’s hand in a greeting handshake.

Her hand still clasping my dad’s, Tess looked back at me over her shoulder, ”Oh my God. Chill, Lizzie.”

There was something dangerous in her eyes. Something that she reserved only for me and had probably been removed from her face once she looked back at my father.

Doing so, she told him calmly, ”I’m Tess. And you must be Liz’s daddy.”

Dad nodded, perplexed.

”Wonderful!” Tess cried out, excited, let go off his hand and brought her freed hand up to his head.

I took a stumbling step forward, my injured ankle folding painfully under my weight, making me close to falling over. ”No! Don’t-”

I had been convinced she would touch his forehead and instantly kill him. Instead she touched the blood at his hairline and mumbled compassionately, ”Oh no. You’re hurt.”

”Yes,” dad answered. ”I fell.”

”Oh,” Tess concluded emphatically, turning her head and hitching her thumb in my direction. ”Lizzie fell too. Didn’t you, honey?”

”Get the fuck away from my dad,” I threatened then, ignoring the pain in my shoulder and my foot as I traveled across the floor.

Tess clicked her tongue, shaking her head in disapproval. ”Such behavior. Such language.” Looking back at my father, she added, ”She must have learnt that from her mother, obviously. Because you are just too adorable to use such language.”

Fiercely, I tried to get a hold of the connection. To access powers. I wanted to blast her to hell. I wanted to turn her into ashes. I wanted her gone from my dad.

Dad looked at me, concerned. ”Why are you so upset, Lizzie? She seems like a nice young lady. Is she a friend of yours?”

Instead of answering, I felt the familiar energy build inside of me and without a word, I quickly raised my healthy arm and fired at Tess’ back.

Somehow she sensed it. Somehow she knew during that fraction of a second that she was being targeted and she stepped to the side.

The blast missed her by barely an inch, instead hitting my father with perfect aim to the center of his abdomen. Like the exaggerated visual effects from an old movie where someone is hit with a canon ball, the blast left a perfectly round hole in my father’s abdomen. Through it, I could see the army green of the wall behind him.

His mouth formed a surprised ’O’, before his eyes rolled back in their sockets, his legs folded and he tumbled to the floor.

”Noooooooooooo!”

Someone was screaming. I have no idea how I got from where I was standing to my father’s immobile body.

His eyes were still blinking. His heart was still beating.

But not for much longer.

My tears hit his face, rolled down his pale cheeks and pooled between the dark thick hairs of his unshaven face.

I had killed my father.

I had killed dad.

I killed dad.

I KILLED DAD!

Blood ran from his mouth and the smallest droplets of red sprinkled across his chin and cheek as he coughed. Unseeing eyes searched for me, while he gurgled, ”I…love you.”

”Daddy, no,” I whimpered.

This couldn’t be happening. What did I just do? Why did she move? Why did I even shoot? With my father so close by. It didn’t make sense. He couldn’t be dead. What was he doing here? He was supposed to be hid away from the war. With Maria.

”I’m sorry,” I blubbered. ”I’m so sorry. Oh my God. No. I love you.” I buried my face in the receding warmth of his neck, my voice disappearing against his skin. ”I love you. Don’t leave me. Please. Don’t. I love you. I only have you. There’s only you left. Please.”

”True as steel,” the voice I had come to hate mused and with teasing added, ”I know something you don’t.”

Anger was building. I would hunt her down and kill her.

My fists clenched.

But first, I would stay with my father when he drew his last breath. I wouldn’t leave him alone.

”Don’t you wanna know?” she taunted.

”Fuck you,” I whispered, rather sure that my father wouldn’t hear. He was already too far gone.

”I’ll just tell you anyway,” Tess chirped cheerfully.

”Go fuck yourself,” I added for good measure. I’ll deal with you soon.

”You know all that energy you just used to kill your own father,” she laughed, amused, and added under her breath, ”Still can’t believe you did that.”

She left a pause, probably to see if I would react, before she continued, ”Anyhoo… When you stole all that energy from Max, he failed to save Isabel.”

I froze. She laughed.

”What do you call that? Isn’t it… There’s an expression for that…” She giggled, almost drunkenly. ”Right! To kill two birds with one stone.”

My will to live was slowly seeping out of me.

”Or, to kill one father and one friend with one blast.” She laughed again. ”This is great! I haven’t had this much fun in years!”

I thought about Max. I thought about Maria. They were the only ones left. If my father was walking about, did that mean that something had happened to Maria too?

I rationally considered ending it right there. I wanted to continue to live for Max, but by this point, after everything that had happened, was there any reason to? He might be dying now as well, as a result of me pulling all that energy from him.

I lifted my head from my father’s neck to look over at where Max had been. As I did, the lights started blinking around me, distracting me, and I quickly tried to locate Tess’ whereabouts.

She was standing just to my side, her expression bewildered as she alternated looking at the ceiling lamps and the gate.

”What’s-” she started saying, but I never heard the rest of it.

My vision went black and I lost consciousness.

Someone was lightly slapping my cheeks. Over and over again. Left cheek. Right cheek. Something was slowly and gently being dragged across my lips, before a whispering touch moved over my tingling cheek.

Sounds were loud around me. But like being under water, the sounds were far away. Still, within all of that, I heard my name. Spoken with his voice.

It was impossible to ignore.

His voice was calling me like a siren.

”She’s waking up,” he mumbled, addressing someone.

”Good. Because we need to move.”

I recognized that voice. Extremely well.

”We need to find out what she saw.”

Isabel.

But how?

Last thing I remember, she had died.

At least, Tess had told me so.

”She might become a liability otherwise.”

I had the strongest feeling of déjà vu. Right before I managed to lift my eyelids and open my eyes, I realized why it all seemed familiar. It was like being unconscious in Max’s room back at that Halloween party ages ago. How they had discussed what to do with me. How they were worried that I would - in actuality - become a liability (even if that had not been the exact phrase used at that time). How I might reveal their big secret.

”I know, Iz,” Max said just as I looked at him.

I had never been so happy to see a pair of eyes in my life, and I melted into the warm concern in those amber lights.

”Hey,” he told me gently, fingers fluttering across the side of my face. ”Welcome back.”

I blinked. Heavily. ”What…” I stopped to clear my throat and lick my dry lips. ”What happened?”

Isabel showed up behind Max’s shoulder, fresh color in her cheeks, worry in her eyes. She was very much alive. ”How are you feeling?”

”You’re alive,” I whispered.

Was this a dream? Had I died? Had we all died? Was this heaven?

She smiled. Brightly. ”Of course, silly.” Jabbing Max playfully, she added, ”Brother did good job.”

Max rolled his eyes at her, but it was clear that he was relieved and happy. Refocusing on me, a familiar line of worry between his eyes deepened and he looked straight into my eyes, ”How are you feeling?”

I matched his frown. Searching my body, I tried to figure out an answer. My frown deepened as I found no aches. No pain.

”Fine,” I mumbled, confused.

”To make a long story short,” Isabel said, pausing to look behind her. She wanted to get moving. ”When Max was healing me, the connection was not strong enough to protect you from Tess’ powers, so she invaded your mind and made you see something that wasn’t real. Max and I have no idea what, but based on the sounds you were making, it was probably something horrible. While Tess was doing this to you, she was threatening Max in real life about him having to go with her if he wanted you to live. She was a little bit too focused on Max, missing that I had been healed and was tapping into Max’s powers. Pulling on both of our energy sources, I started softening the bars. It took me some time which left you in her vision a bit too long, but finally - when she was distracted - we bent the bars and could walk through them. Max put a hand to your head, making you unconscious and cutting off Tess’ link to you, while I fired at her.”

I gaped at them, stuttering, ”What happened to her?”

”She was injured,” Isabel replied. ”We didn’t have time to stick around and check if she actually died, but she was mortally injured.”

”There’s no way of her surviving that without a healer,” Max added, concluding Tess’ fate.

I swallowed, the memory of my father being killed by me frighteningly fresh in my head. The hope that it had all been a mind warp was so strong that I didn’t dare to ask if it truly had happened out of fear of Isabel and Max telling me that the part of me killing my father had not been part of the mind rape.

I felt Max now, searching through my head, searching my face. He was already stumbling upon the details of what Tess had subjected me to.

It was Isabel that demanded me to tell the tale vocally. ”What did she make you see?”

”Tell us everything that happened after I started healing Isabel,” Max clarified.

I slowly licked my lips and, with the help from Max, got up into a seated position. He wrapped his arm around me and pulled me into his side, placing a hand to the side of my cheek to gently push my head flat against his warm chest while I placed my legs across his lap.

I closed my eyes and squeezed them tightly closed while I told them everything that had happened.

By the end of my recount, tears were streaming down my face and Max was alternately removing them with his hand and kissing them away.

”She’s sick,” Isabel mumbled.

”We haven’t heard anything about Maria or your father, so we can only assume that they are still safe,” Max said softly.

It wasn’t much of a comfort, but at the moment, I would take it.

”No more news about Alex and-”

Isabel shook her head, overwhelming sadness filling her eyes before she dropped her head, almost in shame.

”No,” Max answered, grabbing his sister’s hand with his free one and squeezing it.

I swallowed the word, ”Okay,” before taking a deep breath. ”So what’s the plan?”

”My energy has been restored. So has Isabel’s.” Max pressed a gentle kiss to my forehead. ”And I made you unconscious so that your mind could heal without interruptions. Our connection should be refueled.”

In other words, ”We’re going back out there,” I filled in.

Max searched my eyes, regret over what he had dragged me into screaming in his eyes. He nodded. ”Yes.”

”But now we are three,” Isabel pointed out. ”You two were alone before. I was completely alone before. Plus, our energies are restored. As good as they can be considering that we haven’t slept or eaten.” She shrugged. ”Time to bite the bullet.”

”We’re gonna stick together as much as possible,” Max told me, his arm warm around my waist, the tips of his fingers pressing comfortingly into my skin. ”We’re stronger together.”

”If we get attacked, we’ll be turned so that our backs are facing each other,” Isabel filled in. ”To keep our backs protected.”

”Only fire blasts to wound, not to kill,” Max said. ”Isabel found a knife earlier. It’s not much, but we’ll pass it between us to slit their throats, conserving energy.”

I shivered at the cold, disconnected way he was discussing slitting someone’s throat.

This is war, he reminded me. They would do it to us, given the chance.

”Where are we going? Do you know?” I asked my alien companions.

”We have our suspicions on a location,” Isabel answered, while Max simultaneously shared a memory image of a map he and Isabel had seen earlier. I could hear faint whispers from their previous conversation, discussing where the majority of the enemies seemed to come from, the routes they were taking.

”Are there any more gates to worry about?” I asked, briefly wondering if we were caught between two gates now or if we had encountered the only ones earlier.

”Not according to the map,” Max replied. ”Not in the direction we’re going.”

”We were in some high security area earlier. And someone triggered the alarm. But you and Tess were on the ’wrong side’,” Isabel made air quotation signs at this, before continuing, ”so it was a good idea for us to run in the direction we did. It just sucked that Tess got a hold of you before the gate closed.”

I nodded. Max was filling my head with the information he and Isabel had gotten their hands on while I had been unconscious, making me feel as prepared as they were.

Which in all honesty was not very prepared at all. But it still felt as if we had a little bit more to go on now than we had before.

Little did I know that I would be face to face with Command in less than two hours.

TBC...
Last edited by max and liz believer on Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Unbreakable (M/L, AU)
Facebook Page
My Imagination

Instagram: author_josephin_ripa
Morning Dreamgirl
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Unbreakable - A Beautiful Lie (AU M/L ADULT) Ch 110 1/14/17 p. 92

Post by Morning Dreamgirl »

How am I just now seeing this update?!

Adulting = not much fun.

Reading Unbreakable = lots of fun!

On that note I'm off to read again! :mrgreen:
Roswelllostcause
Roswell Fanatic

Post by Roswelllostcause »

Please let the pycho Tess be dead! Please please please! Chocolate cake with Tabasco on top?

Helen
Check out my Author page for a list of my fics!

http://www.roswellfanatics.net/viewtopi ... 1&t=155639
L-J-L 76
Roswell Fanatic

Post by L-J-L 76 »

Roswelllostcause wrote:Please let the pycho Tess be dead! Please please please! Chocolate cake with Tabasco on top?

Helen
I very much agree with Helen on this. DEATH TO COMMAND, TESS AND ONES WORKING WITH THEM!!!!!!!

L-J-L 76