Christmas Gift #2 (CC/TEEN) [COMPLETE]

Finished stories that feature the characters from the show, but there are no aliens. All fics completed on the main AU without Aliens board will eventually be moved here.

Moderators: Anniepoo98, Rowedog, ISLANDGIRL5, Itzstacie, truelovepooh, FSU/MSW-94, Erina, Hunter, Forum Moderators

ken_r
Obsessed Roswellian

Christmas Gift #2 (CC/TEEN) [COMPLETE]

Post by ken_r »

Title: The Christmas Gift #2
Author: ken_r AKA Ken242 AKA Kenneth Renouard
Disclaimer: Once again I use the characters owned by others as actors to tell a story with people we already know. Lara’s song is labeled with URL of its location.
genera: Alternate Universe No Aliens but, sometimes we are all aliens.
Rating: Child, Maybe teen because of police language
Summary: Sometimes when fate has been the cruelest there is a tiny light in the darkness which promises us something we can live with. I started the story about a little girl but as the story grew it showed the lives of policemen, their wives and their friends during Christmas.

This story is dedicated like The Christmas Gift to those who have a hard time during the Christmas season.

The Christmas Gift #2

Max came in from his patrol. He parked his car in front of the police building. He stamped his feet to rid them of snow as he entered the front door. He was parked right in front of the building and it was clearly marked, “No Parking,” but let them bitch. It was too fricken cold to worry about that.

New Mexico didn’t have much snow. Especially in Albuquerque, where the wind currents going around the Sandia mountains caused a very mild climate in the exact place the city was located in the valley. Twenty miles north or the same south of the city and you could have three foot drifts and in the city it was still balmy. Sandia meant watermelon and, today, the melon was frozen, frozen. The mountains were white with the stuff. In Albuquerque, big snows only came about once every 30 or so years. Whole generations of citizens had never seen a big snow and they had no idea of how to drive in it. Max had done a stint in the mountains and he had, through necessity, become a fair snow-weather driver. It had only cost him one squad car. Of course, hitting the state police commissioner’s Cadalic, was not a good idea. That probably cost him a lot more than the squad car. He would know at his next evaluation. What the hell was the commissioner doing out in that weather? Max thought that he should have had better sense.

Of course there were many people from back east and some from up north. They were snow experts, but the locals used them like the bumpers on a pinball machine. No matter how good you were, some fool could careen off of you at any time. There were four-wheel drive vehicles. Now, they had plenty of traction, but when you put on the brakes, they were just like any other car. What good did it do you, if you could always get started and then find out there was no way to stop, especially on the down side of a hill?

“Hey Evans, there are only two more days until Christmas. You better hump if you want to get more DUIs for this year.” During holidays the police force was marshaled to go after DUIs, or driving under the influence. Long ago, it was DWI or driving while intoxicated, but the inventive public found so many ways to screw up that they had made the broader law. Max had been off two days and his score wasn’t that high yet. This snow wasn’t helping. How can you tell if a car is weaving if you can barely hold your cruiser on the road? Max would catch up; he usually did.

Maria stuck her head in the room. She was on radio tonight. Her boyfriend, Michael Guerin, was a sergeant on the city force. You could hit Michael in the head with a two by four and he would shake his head and then, make you eat it. He was known as one of the toughest cops in the city. “Hey, Evans, have you made a run up the interstate north tonight?”

“Hell no, Maria, I am not sure I can even see the interstate in this weather,” Max answered.

“Well, you better call out your dog team and get mushing. There have been several calls about tracks going off the highway somewhere around the Cochiti exit,” she told him.

“Shit, why would anyone be out in this weather? Maria, call my wife, Liz, and tell her I am still on call. She wanted me to meet and have supper with her, sometime tonight.” Max stated. He knew that Maria and Liz were friends and Maria could break it easily, that Max probably wouldn’t be back until well after midnight.

Max turned west on the I-40 interstate and proceeded to the “Big I.” The Big I, that expansive interchange, of which the highway department was so proud. Massive arches and flyovers as the concrete strips made three tiers merging two large highways. Now, they were perfect skating rinks. Max was up to about 40 miles per hour. Driving in these conditions was a bit like flying. There were no such things as brakes. The steering wheel was caressed like an angry woman. Max saw a spinout ahead of him. He gently touched the wheel and he could feel the cruiser adjust direction. Max intended to just miss the guy in the gutter and still be set up for the gentle turn heading north. His only fear was for the fool to try to jump in front of him and try to flag him down. The city would get to this spinout in their own time. Max had his red lights on he was going 10-33, that is emergency traffic, even if he was only driving 40 miles per hour. Once out of the city, he would probably turn them off. He was now going north on I-25.

As Max proceeded north, the snow started picking up. The wipers were having trouble keeping up. The wipers were freezing on either side of the windshield. The interstate, so far, was well lit. The snow falling in the lights was distracting, but as Max got to the city limits, the lights were no longer there. He was now beyond the area that protected Albuquerque. Now, all Max had were his head lights. Turn on the brights and you were faced with a solid wall of white reflecting back at you. You had to run on dim lights. There, the lights hit the ground sooner, but didn’t reflect as much.

The radio surely was quiet. The Law Enforcement channel didn’t have anyone on it. What cattle inspector would be out on a night like tonight? The tribal police showed that the Native Americans had better sense than to be out tonight either, by their silence. The State channels only had a few calling in from out-lying areas. Most of them were going 10-10, or out of the car at coffee shops, trying to get warm. Max could use a hot coffee right now. He had intended to have that supper with his wife, Liz, before he had been sent half way to Santa Fe.

There was a pull-off just ahead. Max was going to have to pull over and get the ice off his windshield. The wipers were starting to go over the ice and were missing the windshield all together. This was dangerous. Max knew that cars coming up behind would key off his taillights. They would be just as likely to run right into him as not. Max put his emergency blinkers on as well as his overhead red light. He could only hope to be safe as he hurriedly cleared his windshield. It was cold. Max didn’t bother putting on his parka. He wanted to get the job done and get back on the road. It was much safer there than sitting in the parkway as a target for someone not thinking. He quickly chipped away at the ice on, first his side of the windshield and then, he went over to the other side. The little plastic scraper was almost ruined by the hard ice.

Max got back into the car and took off again. The country was steep hills. Going up was scary and going down was just insane. Every so often Max would flash his spot light looking for exit numbers. He must be getting near the Cochiti exit soon. Way up ahead, there were red lights. They were just pinpoints seen through the curtain of snow. As he approached they began to string out in a line. There was a whole group of them ahead. As Max passed them, he saw the lights protecting the rear end of a semi truck. The truckers had, as usual, stopped to help, but they were worried about their rigs, also. They had strung out flares, those things that looked like sticks of dynamite. They could be struck like the old fashioned Kitchen match. The flares burned for about a half an hour with a bright red flame. On a night like this, the truckers were generous in the number they used.

Max pulled just ahead of the truck and stopped with his blinkers on as well as his red light flashing. He used his spotlight, but he couldn’t make anything out, off the road. This time, Max pulled on his parka. The wolf skin, tree huggers be damned, ruff around the edge of the hood made his face almost have feeling. Damn, it was cold. Two truckers came up shouting over the noise of the wind. “Hey, Max, we saw the tracks go over the side. They are all filled up by the snow, now. It is so slick that we can’t go down the embankment. We would never be able to get back up,” the trucker who was know to Max as “Rump Buster,” on the CB or citizen band radio, shouted.

“Give me a hand, Rump Buster,” Max requested. Then, Max went to the trunk of his car and took out a climbing rope. It was about 200 feet long and Max thanked someone for the fact that the bean counters or accountants of Santa Fe, hadn’t yet made the State Police get compact economy cars. Max had all sorts of junk in the trunk that was helpful from time to time.

About this time, a tall, gaunt figure came up, “Hey Max, can you use some help?”

Max knew Chicken Farmer as a tall, red headed boy from down south somewhere. They had chatted many times to break the boredom of the interstate. Chicken farmer had arms that belonged better on an orangutan and the red hair that covered his body made a person wonder. Tonight, only his hairy hands were visable as he took off his gloves to take the rope. In the old days, they would have just attached the rope to a bumper, but cars, including cruisers, didn’t have bumpers anymore.

With the rope sliding under his butt, Max let himself down the incline. There were a couple of places where Max’s special cowboy boots didn’t find traction and Max had to be careful to not meet the rocky incline with his face. Max, like many state policemen had fastened waffle soles onto his cowboy boots. They gave better traction in winter and in summer they kept his feet off the hot asphalt of the road.

Max made it down the incline and, taking out his flashlight, he tried to peer through the driving snow. There, ahead of him, was a dark object. He could barely make it out. Still holding the rope, because if he dropped it, he wasn’t sure he could find it again, Max made his way to the object. Yeah, it was a car. All of the windows were out and the doors were ajar. Max worked his way over to the vehicle. It had out of state plates. Max thought that they were Arizona, if he remembered the colors right. Probably from southern Arizona, Phoenix or somewhere, balmy Phoenix, where the temperature yesterday, was in the 70s. Two people were slumped against the front dash. Max took off his gloves and felt for the artery in the neck. The body was cold and Max couldn’t detect any pulse. He checked the other one and it was the same.

Max called out to those above him, “Hey, Rump Buster, get on my radio and tell Maria to get a wrecker and ambulance on its way. We have at least two who need to be removed.”

Max was working his way all around the car when he heard a moan. Max took one of the rear doors, which looked as if it was beat up the least, and yanked. At times like this, it was amazing the strength a man could command. With a groan of the metal, the door opened. Luggage and blankets spilled out on the ground along with the body of a child. Max couldn’t tell much about the child, except it was cold. He took a blanket and wrapped it up. The child was standing and shivering. Max took a chance and decided that the child needed to get to where it was warm. Max took a turn of the rope about his waist and tied a one-hand bowline knot. He took the child in his arms and placing it over his shoulder, he proceeded to climb back up the embankment. The truckers were keeping the rope tight to help him.

When they got to the top. Max handed the child to the truckers as he made his final way over the top. “Hey, Max, weren’t you afraid you might cause her more injuries?” Chicken Farmer asked.

“Yes, but the ambulance will be, maybe, an hour or more getting here and it is freezing out here. Get the child over to my patrol car,” Max commanded. When they unwrapped the child and Max saw it was a girl about nine or ten. Chicken Farmer helped her into the passenger seat of Max’s cruiser. Max got out some first aid blankets. Two of them were army surplus wool and the rest were furniture pads, very worn out. Max had gotten them from the local U-Haul company. Max took the wool blankets and tucked them around her body. She was still shivering.

There was a knock on his window and Max rolled it down. It was Rump Buster. “Max, here is my spare thermos. You can return it to me on the flip side when I return in a couple of days. If she can drink it, the coffee it might warm her up and I know, you will need it. Me and ole’ Chicken Farmer are going to try to get our rigs up and on their way. The way it is snowing, it may take four hours to make the normal half hour trip to Santa Fe. The CB reported that Gloretta Pass is closed, so we probably will not go any further to night.

Max nodded his thanks and, taking the thermos, he again shut his window. Max poured a cup of the hot coffee and tasted it. It was bitter, but the liquid warmed him immediately. Max poured another cup and offered it to the girl. She carefully took it and made a face as she tasted it, but its warmth was too compelling. She drank it down.

Max took the microphone, “Car 103 to Albuquerque, I have a 10-41, female in the car, about nine years old, with me. She seems to be suffering from hypothermia, but otherwise, is all right.”

He heard over the wind howl, “Okay Max, the emergency equipment is on its way. Do you need any more help?” Maria’s voice was comforting in the storm.

Max had been generous when he said it would take an hour. It was much closer to two hours. The two vehicles arrived together. Max was sure they were giving moral support if not actual support to each other as they drove. The wrecker driver and the ambulance driver both using Max’s rope made their way down to the wreck. The assistant from the ambulance took the little girl over to the ambulance. She cried and clutched at Max. She had lost all she could stand for one night. “That’s all right honey, I will be right here. Let them take care of you. You can see me right outside through the window.” She didn’t seem convinced, but finally, she released Max and let the EMT, emergency medical technician, led her to the ambulance.

About that time, the Bernalillo Fire Department arrived. They answered most accidents because they had extrication equipment like the Jaws of Life, a huge motorized shear to cut their way through the metal of he vehicle to get to those inside.

The ambulance driver climbed back up. “Max, start another ambulance. The two inside are probably her parents and they are 10-7, dead. I don’t want to transport her in the same vehicle with their bodies. That is just not right,” the driver said.

“That is okay, Joe. If we start another ambulance, it will take another two hours or so to get it here. I want to clear this scene and get back to town. If you say she doesn’t have any injuries, I will take her back with me,” Max stated.

He called Albuquerque, “Car 103 to Albuquerque. Maria, I am going to take the 10-41 back in my car. Her parents are 10-7 and I do not want to wait for another ambulance.”

That is a good idea, Max. The ambulances are all backed up and it could be morning before we could get one to you, anyway. The good citizens are busting each other up all over town. Michael just called and said they have a real pile up at the Big I. He has two ambulances helping him there.”

“Thanks, Maria, I will get off the highway somewhere and use the side streets on my way in. Do you want to notify Child Services that we will be bringing in a customer?” Max asked.

“Sure thing, and good luck, Max. Michael said this was the worst storm any of the old timers could remember. I have the reserves working the phones. The phones were driving me crazy,” Maria answered.

Max knew that the reserves were hard-working volunteers who had good training, some as good as the regular officers. On nights like this, they would get out of their warm beds to help patrol and work the phones as a hobby. They were mostly nice guys and gals who wanted to experience police work, but they all had regular jobs. Well, most of them didn’t have jobs tomorrow. With this much snow, the city would be shut tighter than a rich man’s wallet. Only emergency crews would be working. He was sure Liz would be home and that the schools had already been called off for a snow day.

The back of the ambulance opened. A small figure wrapped in a blanket scurried out and ran over to Max. “I tried to keep her here, but she insisted in going back to you. I checked her over and I couldn’t find any thing except for bruises,” the EMT stated.

“That’s all right, Jeb. The others are 10-7 and your partner doesn’t want her to ride back with you. The ambulances are backed up for hours. I was lucky to get you guys before the midnight crowds let out. I wonder how many 10-47, drunks, they will have. A drunk in this weather is just a disaster waiting to happen.” Max was careful to not say anything about 10-7 meaning dead. She would have time enough to realize that she was alone, at least for a time, later.

The little girl was wrapped in her blanket, sitting in Max’s cruiser, fast asleep when Max saw the EMT, emergency techs, bring up two litters with the help of the firemen. They took almost an hour to winch the wreck back on the road and upon the flat bed of the wrecker. The crews were competent. They had picked up as much of her car’s contents and piled it all in the wreck. They tied the door that Max had sprung, and now, they were ready to go. One of the firemen came over to Max. He had a pink suitcase. “Here, Max, this looks like it would belong to a girl her age. Maybe, at least, she will have a few possessions she is familiar with.”

They had buttoned up everything they could. Max, with the help of a fireman, had mapped out the accident scene. He couldn’t do it exactly, because of the storm, but he did the best he could. With Max leading the way, they headed in.

When Max finally arrived at the station, he was met by Maria. The office was bustling with the reservists. They had everything they could control, working smoothly. “Max, Child services can’t get their car started. They are snowed in. They want us to hold the child or something,` until morning. The weather report says the storm will be over by noon tomorrow,” Maria said.

Max turned to her, “Maria, the girl has been beat up enough for the night. She is going to have a rough Christmas. Call Liz and tell her I am bringing the girl home. Liz is good with children. She is younger than those Liz teaches, but she will be better off with us, than with child services, even if they could ever get here.”

Maria smiled. Just like Michael, her boyfriend, Max was a softy at heart. He could whip his weight in drunks, but the eyes of a child would wilt him into a puddle. The morning shift was on their way and Michael would soon pick her up in the city squad car. If they bitched about him using the car for personal reasons, fuck ‘em. Michael, had been busted from sergeant and, then, promoted back, so many times, he couldn’t count them.

Liz got the call. At first, she was scared. All police wives live with the fear of a call saying their husband had been hurt or killed in the line of duty. When she was told, by Maria, that Max was bringing home a little girl who had lost everything, Liz was at first relieved, then saddened that this had happened to someone else.

Liz heard a tapping on the door. She wondered, Max has his key. When she opened the door, she saw Max covered in the falling snow holding a wrapped something in his arms. Max deposited the girl in the spare bed room and then, went back to the car for the pink suitcase.

Liz got the girl ready for bed and then, she and Max returned to their room. Max would sleep late tomorrow. Tomorrow was Chistmas Eve. Max, the next evening, he would be out on the highway, catching those celebrating too much but the little girl would wake up, on Christmas Eve to the fact that her world was now gone.
Last edited by ken_r on Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:31 am, edited 3 times in total.
Good teachers are born that way, not made. No! Good human beings, are born that way. Some of them become teachers.

Of course, life is not fair. You shouldn't expect it to be fair, but you should expect it to be ironic.
JKR 1981-2001
History is made of wars, recovering from wars and preparing for the next war.
JJR 1975-
ken_r
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: Christmas Gift #2 teen CC 11/26

Post by ken_r »

pijeechinadoll
jake17
begonia9508
Janetfl

I should have stated this is a short story in 4 parts. I want it finished before Christmas so it will have a month to sit for people to view if they choose. If you have a chance you might want to read The Christmas Gift. It is a bit sad but the feelings I portrayed were the one i had those first years after My son was killed.

Chapter 2

Lara, for that was her name, woke up snuggled in a warm bed in a warm room. She was dressed in her flannel pajamas, which she had no memory of putting on. She looked around and everything was strange. Through the window, she saw the wind was blowing the snow. There was a bad dream back in her memory. It was a dream of cold, of tumbling and screams. It was a dream of strange people. Suddenly she realized it wasn’t a dream, but was reality. She gave a cry.

Liz heard her and came into the room. Liz had a hot cup of cocoa. She sat on the bed as Lara drank the beverage without a sound. “How are you feeling this morning?” Liz asked.

Lara looked around. There was nothing that was familiar to her. “My momma, my daddy, where are they?” she asked.

Max had just gotten up and dressed. No one, but Liz, was on normal schedule this morning and she wasn’t getting ready for school. Max had been right school was canceled. Max came in, “What is your name?” he asked.

“Lara and where are my parents?” she asked.

Max didn’t answer right away; this was why they had police chaplains. “What do you remember of last night?” he asked

I remember something happening to the car. I remember being cold. I remember it being oh so cold that I wanted to die. That is about all,” she answered.

There was no way of getting a chaplain out in this weather. Besides, Max had taken responsibility for her. “There was an accident in the storm. Your mother and father were killed. We need to talk, but that can wait until later.

The crying told Max that he hadn’t done that good of a job of talking to her. Again, he cursed for the lack of a chaplain. Someone, who knew how to handle this kind of situation. Could a skilled person have presented this subject in a kinder way? To a cop, death was so much a part of the job that if Max let himself completely feel to much of the pain, he would burn himself out. There was so much more information that he needed. Max was determined to approach this subject later.

Lara was now sobbing uncontrollably in Liz’s arms. Max looked over and he could see tears welling up in his wife’s eyes. Max had to turn his face to hide that his eyes were watering up, also. That was a lousy way to tell a little girl that her world had just been punctured. There was no good way to tell someone this. Going about it slowly just prolonged the fear. Max had done the best he could. Yes, he would have to find out more about her later. Max wasn’t sure if he had thought things through since he hadn’t thought of how hard this was on Liz.

Child services called too ask, “Do you have the little girl and when do you want us to pick her up?”

With a nod from Liz, Max said, “Why don’t we leave her here for a while. It is Christmas Eve. She can stay with my wife and me. We can sort this out later. I will try to get information about next of kin when she can talk.”

Child services was always over-worked and trying to get foster care on Christmas Eve was more than they could hope for. Let the girl stay with the policeman’s family. Maybe, he could bring some sort of Christmas to her.

Lara spent most of the day with Liz. She didn’t talk much and she cried at the least thing. Liz said, “Go ahead and cry, Lara. Be free to do so, because we understand. When it seems that everything you ever believed in has been taken away, nothing else may work.”

When Lara wasn’t with Liz, she remained close to Max. She made it obvious that she didn’t want to be alone.

Talking to her, Max finally got some of what he needed. He called into the office, “It is Heddington, Lara Heddington. She lives some where in Phoenix. Try to find the next of kin to a Dora and Leonard Heddington. They were her parents. We will keep her here for the moment.” Max made a similar call to Child Services. At least they had some information. There had to be someone out there who loved her and would be her family.

Max had his uniform on and was preparing to leave. He knelt by Lara. “Stay with Liz, tonight. If you think of any more relatives, you might tell her and she will get word to me.” Max saw the tears again as he stood to leave. The tears subsided when Liz put her arm around the child.

Max had left early. He had a friend, Norm who ran a gift shop. Max wanted something special. If Norm didn’t have it, he would know who would. “Hey Max, Merry Christmas, have you given those jade ear rings to Liz, yet? I don’t think I have ever seen carving like that on jade,” Norm greeted.

“Hey Norm, making lots of Christmas music?” Max knew that the two most busy times for his friend were Christmas and Mother’s day. Norm always had the best of things. He spent the whole summer looking for things that were strange, but beautiful. He had found the jade earrings and told Max that he thought of Liz immediately. Her complexion and dark hair would set the jade off. “Norm, I am looking for something special. I want a music box. The song starts off ‘Somewhere my love.’ I think it is from Doctor Zivago.”

“Max, don’t sing. If I listen to you, I will never recognize the song.” Norm scribbled on a scrap of paper. “This guy has all sorts of music boxes. If anyone can help you, he can. Tell him you are state police and he will probably give you a discount. What’s wrong; did you do something that you have to be extra nice to Liz this Christmas?”

“No, Norm, you heard about the wreck last night. A little girl, the only survivor, is our house guest until we find her family. Her name is Lara. It is going to be a sad Christmas for her. I just thought that the music in her name might be appropriate,” Max stated.

“Hey Max, for an extra ten bucks on the next present you buy Liz, I won’t tell everyone that you are really a softy.” Norm kidded.

“Right, Norm, and the next drunk I arrest, I will have to beat the shit out of, because someone named Norm said I was a softy.” Max left Norm laughing so hard he could barely sit at his desk. The customers thought that cop must have really told a funny joke. No, it wasn’t the joke. Norm knew how things like this affected police officers. He knew that if you didn’t try to laugh, you would cry and that was not the gift he wanted to give his friend. Better to leave him with a memory of laughter. That might get Max through the night and even the week, if it kept going this way. Norm just shook his head.

When Max got to the music box shop, he didn’t have a lot of time until he had to be on duty. As he walked into the shop, the owner approached him. “Norm just called me. He said you were looking for a music box for a little girl named Lara. I think that is a fitting gift. It is a popular item, but in this case, I think it will have special meaning.”

The little box was surprisingly affordable. Max didn’t have a lot of money and the three hundred dollars he had already spent on the carved jade earrings bit heavily into his budget. Norm had been just so right. Liz loved beautiful things and the carving was exquisite. To see her put them on tomorrow, Christmas morning, would make it well worth it.

When the store owner handed Max the wrapped package, there was a little mist in his eyes. “Tell the little girl that God is with her, even if it seems he isn’t right now.”

Max put the package in the glove compartment of his car and headed into to the office. Tonight would be hell to many who God wasn’t with.

Liz had unpacked Lara’s things. Some she had washed and the clean ones she had hung up. Lara followed Liz around, seeming to not let her out of her sight. They talked a while, but Liz didn’t learn much about her. She wasn’t aware of any relatives. Her remaining grandmother had been put in a nursing home that fall. She knew that her father was an only child, but she didn’t know much about her mother’s family except that they didn’t get along with her mother very well.

Liz always attended midnight services somewhere on Christmas Eve. It had become a tradition because Max always had to work that night and she didn’t want to go to any party alone. Neither did she want to stay in on Christmas Eve. “Lara, what church do your folks attend?” Liz asked.

Lara hung her head as if it was something to be ashamed of, “They never attend any church. Daddy never believed in God and mommy always followed what he wanted.”

“That is okay, honey. Do you think you might like to go with me? Just to keep me company?” Liz asked.

Lara looked up at Liz, “What is it like, church, I mean?”

“Oh, it is just a place where people go to think and sing. It is where I ask God to take care of Max for another year,” Liz stated.

“Do you think God hears you when you ask that?” Lara questioned.

“I don’t know honey, if he doesn’t, then it is just a place where I think how much Max means to me and hope he can always return to me,” Liz explained.

“If I had of gone to church, do you think that God might have protected my parents?” Lara asked.

Liz knelt down and pulled the little girl into a tight hug. “We will never know. But maybe, you can find some sort of peace and think of guidance in the things that are to come.”

Lara though for a minute, “You usually go every year, don’t you?”

“Yes, I usually go. Max has to always work so I usually go alone,” Liz said.

“Then, I will go with you. I will keep you company and, maybe, I can think of my parents while I am there,” the little girl returned.

Max had pulled out from the station. On Christmas Eve, New Year’s Eve and other such holidays, state police always worked. No matter which direction they were assigned, they usually followed the action. Tonight Max started in his own district, north of Albuquerque. He was just about to turn around at the town of Bernalillo. Bernalillo was the original town the Spanish had settled. There came a call. “Albuquerque to car 103, what is your 10-20?” The dispatcher had just asked where Max was.

“103 to Albuquerque, I am at the district line, north,” Max answered.

“The Santa Fe state unit is still at headquarters and the Sandoval county sheriffs are all west of the river. There is a big fight at the Cross Roads Bar. Can you handle that?” Max heard Maria’s voice ask.

“Sure thing, Albuquerque, I am only about five minutes from there.” Max took an off ramp at Algodones, an old Indian village. Max thought, the name Algodones meant cotton in Spanish. In the southwest it sometimes meant the huge ancient cottonwood trees that had been growing since the Spanish had first arrived. The big trees would be covered white tonight. Algodones was a town, now mostly Hispanics and a few Anglos. It was a town of hard workers. Sometimes, they played hard, also.

Max arrived at the parking lot. As was expected, he had the only sedan there. The rest of the lot was just pickups in various stages of repair. Max was alone and he could expect no back up. He opened his trunk and took out his old shotgun. It was an old Winchester with an exposed hammer. Max liked this old weapon because when you loaded the chamber it made a series of loud and recognizable sounds.

Max walked in the door. There was as much beer on the floor as was in the patrons. Max walked to the middle of the room and racked his shotgun. That is, he worked the pump back toward himself and then pushed it back to battery loading the chamber. The fighting stopped as if by magic. A state policeman in a black uniformed, standing in their midst, holding a shotgun, was not there to play. In a booming voice, Max shouted, “This bar is closed for the night.”

There were groans and moans, but for the most part, the men all filed out the door. They had to explain to mamma how their clothes got torn so badly. “No, no, mamma, I wasn’t fighting in the bar. How come my clothes smell so badly? Freddie, you know how he kids around, he spilled a pitcher of beer on me. It was an accident.” Thus, the patrons would return to the good grace of their wives.

Max nodded to the bartenders. Yes, they would close for the night. Max made no arrests and had to manhandle no one. Tonight Max, wasn’t a lawman, he was a peacekeeper. There was a difference.

Max returned to the cruiser and replaced his shotgun. If there had been anyone to back him up, Max would have gone in with just his fists. He probably would have decked a couple men for the county or the Santa Fe district state officer to arrest. Here, Max had just calmed the situation down, sent the men back to their homes and now, he was through.

Bars like this one didn’t have things in the bar that were not easily replaceable. If one of the patrons complained about anything he could just drive the 35 miles back to Albuquerque or take his chances in the town of Bernalillo. If they wanted to drink locally, they would pay for any damage they did to the bar.

After a big snow like they had yesterday, the sky was clear. You could touch the stars twinkling in the sky. Max was sure every one of those stars was frozen solid and they were sucking out whatever warmth they found on Earth. The streets were relatively clear along with the highways. Get off the mainly traveled path and you were in trouble. You would be in trouble for several days to come.

Liz knew that it would be cold. She hadn’t found much in the luggage in the way of a coat. She called Max’s sister, Isabel. She had two daughters about 15 and 13. Maybe, she had some hand-me-downs that Lara could wear. “Izzy, you heard we have a house guest? No, she is getting along but it is hard. Look, Izzy, do you have anything a girl of about nine could wear? She has no winter clothes. You do, thanks! could you bundle them up for me? We are going to attend services. Tonight might be special, her loss and all. Yes, we will come by on the way to services. Give my best to the Captain.” Isabel’s husband, Captain Alex Whitman, was on the Albuquerque Police Department the same as Michael.

Liz wrapped Lara up in a wool blanket and they drove over to Isabel’s. Captain Whitman was at home. Next week his work would be trying, to get his men out of any problems they managed to get into tonight. He had faith in his men, but he knew that working holidays could be rough. All the complaints lodged against them would come across his desk in two days. Christmas, they would let him stay off. “This must be Lara,” Alex said as he took her hand. “I understand we will see you at services tonight.”

Lara didn’t know what to say so she said nothing. Isabel came out and brought the bundle she had prepared. “The kids hardly wore any of these clothes. The winters have been so mild the last few years,” she stated.

“Well, we are making up for those years tonight.” Liz replied.

Lara found in the bundle a down coat of silver-blue. It had a light coyote skin ruff and fit her very well. “The girls are getting dressed for tonight, I thought, maybe, we could come over tomorrow afternoon before Max goes back on duty and the girls could meet Lara,” Isabel said.

“That would be nice. Lara hasn’t had anyone to talk to except me,” Liz stated.

As they walked toward the church, Lara asked, “Do you suppose God will be there?”

Liz looked at the little girl, “Some say that God is everywhere. You just have to look for him.”

“I just wish I knew why my parents were taken from me?” Lara asked.

Liz held tightly to the little girl’s hand. “I am not sure that is a question that God will answer. I am not sure that he took your parents, sometimes things just happen. We can’t go blaming God when they do,” Liz told Lara.

“Well, someone took them and they left me all alone!” Lara retorted with some rancor.

They walked into the church. Liz saw Isabel, Alex and the girls who waved. She saw Tess and Tess came over to sit with them. “Kyle had to work just like Max. The last time, I heard him on the scanner he was with the tribal police working on an accident,” Tess told them. Liz knew that Tess had a police scanner radio. Kyle was with the Bernalillo County Sheriff department. They patrolled south of Sandoval County, and thus, they never reached the town of Bernalillo which surprisingly, was not in Bernalillo County. These were the strange arrangements of the law enforcement in New Mexico. Liz made it clear that she didn’t want a scanner. To hear things going down would be way too much anxiety for her to bare.

With Liz’s arm comforting her, Lara even sang a few of the familiar Christmas hymns. Liz saw that Lara was constantly looking around. Liz leaned over and asked, “What is wrong, Lara?”

“I am trying to see God,” she answered. “How will I know him? What does he look like?”

Liz whispered, “Some say that you don’t see God, but you feel him.”

“Oh,” Lara answered. Liz saw that Lara was squinting her eyes shut. After several more songs having been sung, Liz felt a tug at her hand. “How do I know if I feel him?” Liz had forgotten for a minute about the literal nature of children. How do you tell a child that God is near? How do you do it, if sometimes you doubt it yourself? All through the singing service, Liz noticed that Lara would alternate between looking around trying to see everyone’s face and squinting her eyes trying to find feelings.

When the singing was over and everyone sat down, Lara was still trying to see if anyone near her was God. The minister told the Christmas story. Lara listened, but said nothing. Apparently, she knew that much about church. Then, the minister talked of adversity and the fact that God was somewhere, but you had to find him. Liz felt another tug at her hand. “I am trying to find him, but I just do not know where to look.” Liz just squeezed Lara’s little hand as they sat.

When the service was over, Liz saw that Lara was yawning. As they passed Isabel, Isabel said, “Do you want to come over for cocoa?”

Liz looked at the sleepy face of Lara, “I think we had better head for home. We will see you tomorrow afternoon, if you can make it.”

Liz tucked Lara into bed and sat on the edge of the bed listening. “I looked everywhere I could. I don’t see how I can find God unless I know what he looks like. I tried and tried to feel him, but all I could feel was missing my mamma and daddy.”

Liz leaned forward and softly kissed Lara on the forehead. “Sometimes trying is all we can do.” Liz saw that Lara was falling asleep so she quietly left the room.
--------------------
three stories about an Archeologist and aliens
Liz of the Desert
Smugglers of Antar
Betrayal
Good teachers are born that way, not made. No! Good human beings, are born that way. Some of them become teachers.

Of course, life is not fair. You shouldn't expect it to be fair, but you should expect it to be ironic.
JKR 1981-2001
JJR 1975-
ken_r
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: Christmas Gift #2 teen CC ch 2 11/30

Post by ken_r »

Chapter 3

Max was leaving the county lockup. He had just taken in a prisoner. He found the man sitting in his car which was buried in a snow bank facing the wrong way. “Officer, I am so glad to see you,” the man said. “They were coming at me with bright flashing eyes. I thought they had me, but I fooled them. I hid here in this snow. They aren’t going to get me tonight.”

Max had responded to a call that a car was heading the wrong direction on the highway. There had been several fatalities in the last few years of intoxicated drivers being on the wrong side of the highway. Head on wrecks were the worst, many times. The man smelled like a brewery and as they were heading to Max’s patrol car, he threw up in the snow. Even walking a distance from the drunk, Max could smell the contents of his stomach. Tomorrow, the man would have a splitting hangover. He would have a high fine and maybe, loose his vehicle, but he would be alive and more importantly, he wouldn’t have killed someone else.

As Max was standing in front of the Jail, Michael walked up. Michael’s uniform was messed up and his knuckles were skinned. “Hey, Max, how is the night treating you? Me and Kirby just took a bar apart.”

Kirby walked up. He was a good, two sizes smaller than Michael. The smile on his face was probably permanent. He shook hands with Max. “Merry Christmas to you Max, and a happy New Year’s to you, also!”

Max looked down at his watch. The time read 12:30. Yes, It now was officially Christmas.

Michael was in a jovial mood. “Don’t get the little fellow mad at you, Max. I thought I was good. He cleaned out most of the bar while I was just taking down one man. He will do to ride the river with.”

Max knew that that was a high complement. ‘To ride the river with,’ meant that you trusted the man to back your play and always be at your side. “How many have you got this season so far?” Max asked.

Michael looked at the sky and squinted, “Nine since we all started counting. If I stay with Kirby, I may not be able to get any more. He just grabs them before me. What about you, Max?”

“I only got five. I was off two days and last night we couldn’t identify a drunk if one passed us. The roads were so bad, I wouldn’t have been able to give chase,” Max informed them.

“Yeah, Maria told me about the wreck out at Cochiti. That one sucks the big one. The pile up we had at the Big I gave me, maybe,` three drunks. It will probably be two since two were in one car and they each kept saying it was the other one who was driving. I just arrested both of them. Someone was driving and now, I have a blood test on each, so when they decide I will be ready,” Michael stated.

Max noted that at the mention of his 10-45, or automobile accident, both Michael and Kirby got very somber. Things like that were the reason the police worked so hard. Sometimes, no matter what you did, things happened. There would be no reason, things just happened.

Max got one more 10-47 or drunk that night before the lack of traffic told him to pack it in. If any wreck happened in his patrol district before 4:00AM, he would be called out. If it as after 4:00 AM, then they would call out the day shift.

Max drove up to his house. Getting out of the car caused some pain. Yanking that car door the other night may have pulled something in him. He would have Liz put a hot pad on his shoulder tomorrow. Tonight or rather this morning, it was Tylenol and bed.

Max was awakened by the noise of laughter. Liz was in the kitchen with Lara. They were making something. Max didn’t know what it was but it smelled good as did the coffee Liz had perking. Max thought about how Liz could elicit laughter from Lara. He guessed the six years of higher education might have something to do with that. Then, Max thought, “No, that was just who Liz was. That was why he married her. She could bring out happy things in the times of deepest sorrow.”

Max went outside. He hurried because he hadn’t put on his parka. It was still cold, and way out of character for New Mexico. Max got the two small boxes from the glove compartment of his cruiser. He came running back in, stomping the snow off his boots. Liz came into the room, “If you don’t wear your coat, you are going to catch your death of cold.”

Max just smiled, “I had to get something for my girls.”

At this Lara looked up. Max handed Liz one box and to her surprise, he handed the other to Lara. “Merry Christmas girls, may we all find blessings, somewhere.”

Liz eagerly tore open her package. Lara was slower. She kept turning it over and over in her hands, not believing it to be real. “Go ahead Lara. It is just a little something I thought you might like,” Max said.

Liz finished first and was amazed. The jade earrings were held with Gold fastenings. They were matched and the carving was a snake winding around the ring. Where the gold fastenings attached, there were tiny carved birds flitting around about the gold strands. “Norm found those when he went to Singapore last summer. The little man he bought them from said the snake was to make you wary and cautious, but the birds were to make you feel free. I don’t know. The man could have been lying or Norm could have been making up stories, again,” Max reported.

Lara finished opening her package. She took out the small box and opened it. When the tune of Lara’s theme was played, she began to cry. Liz turned to Max. “Max, watch the oven. I will be a few minutes. Liz took Lara by the hand and led her into the other room.”

When they were sitting, Liz turned to Lara. She put her arms around the little girl and hugged her to herself.

“It is so wrong for me to feel happy when my mommy and daddy have just died. That little box is just so beautiful. I never expected to get anything for Christmas except the heart-ache,” Lara cried.

http://www.ziplo.com/Somewhere.htm
Max heard the winding of the box then he heard Liz’s voice as she sang:
Somewhere my love there will be songs to sing
Although the snow covers the hope of Spring

Somewhere a hill blossoms in green and gold

And there are dreams, all that your heart can hold

Someday we’ll meet again, my love

Someday whenever the Spring breaks through

You’ll come to me, out of the long-ago

Warm as the wind, soft as the kiss of snow

Lara, my own, think of me now and then

Godspeed, my love, till you are mine again

Warm as the wind, soft as the kiss of snow

Godspeed, my love, till you are mine again

Max smelled the oven. He quickly opened it and took out the ginger cookies. He, now, heard Liz humming. There was the sound of winding the box again and once more, he heard the tinkling sounds. Yes, this was a very appropriate gift.

Max was putting cookies on the cooling rack as Liz came into the kitchen. She reached up on tiptoes and kissed him. “What was that for?” Max asked.

“For being you, for the beautiful earrings and also, for the heart of the little girl,” Liz told him.

Maria called and she was going to come over that afternoon also. Liz had Lara help her making some punch and with the many cookies that they had baked, Liz thought even Michael would have enough. Of course she put out some salsa dip and corn chips, just to be sure.

The bell rang and when Max went to the door he was greeted at the door by the words, “Christmas gift.” He had forgotten the game the women played to see who could say Christmas gift first on Christmas day. Michael just shook hands. He wasn’t into playing games. Liz and Lara came into the room. “I didn’t know what you might like, but no little girl has too many Barbie dolls,” Maria stated as she handed Lara a package.

Lara opened the package and saw a Barbie dressed in a blue winter coat with snow pants and boots. Lara’s eyes were big as she said. “Thank you.”

The bell rang, again. This time it was the Whitman family. Isabel led everyone. There was Alexandria, Lexy, to her friends. Then, there was Kathy, just Kathy to anyone who cared. Alex brought up the rear.

Kathy held a box. She handed the box to Lara. “These are some things Mamma thought you could use.” Inside was a pair of snow boots. There also was a new box, which when opened held a pair of insulated gloves. The gloves were obviously brand new, but the boots were hand-me-downs from the girls. As Isabel said they didn’t have much wear on them. With three cans of coca cola and a plate of cookies, the girls went to the room that Lara was now calling hers.

Kathy said with the straight forwardness of children, “Mamma said we should be careful what we asked you.” Lexy, who was the oldest slapped at her sister’s shoulder.

“Why did she say you should be careful?” Lara asked.

Lexy said, “Because your mother and father being killed, you might not want to talk about it?”

“Not talking about it isn’t going to bring them back. If you have questions, ask away,” Lara told them.

Kathy was looking at Lara with her bright eyes, “What happened?”

Lara just shook her head. “I was sleeping in the back seat. All of a sudden, everything was going over and over. There was a terrible sound. Then I guess, I was knocked out for a few minutes. When I came to I couldn’t move. Everything was pilled on top of me. I called out to mommy and daddy, but no one answered. It was so cold. I have never been so cold. I was under everything and I couldn’t move. I was just freezing. I heard a noise somewhere and I called out. It was Max.”

Lexy was thinking. “What are you going to do?”

“I don’t know. Max says they are trying to find some of my family who will take me in. I don’t think there are very many people in my family and I do not think they liked me or my mother very much,” Lara stated.

Isabel called and the two girls got up to leave. “We will be thinking about you,” Lexy said. Kathy just smiled.

When the Whitman’s were back in the car, “Mamma, Lara doesn’t have anyone to love her. She says she doesn’t know what she is going to do,” Kathy said.

“Mamma, what happens to little girls who do not have any family?” Lexy asked.

Isabel looked at Alex who glanced at her as he was driving, “I don’t know Lexy. Max is trying to find her family,” Isabel stated.

“But what if he can’t find anyone, or if he finds them and they don’t like Lara? What does she do then?” Kathy asked.

Isabel didn’t answer that one.

“Mamma, why can’t she stay with Uncle Max and Aunty Liz?” Kathy asked.
------------------------------
three stories about an Archeologist and aliens
Liz of the Desert
Smugglers of Antar
Betrayal

Believe in the "Curse of the Cat." coming after the first of the year.

JKR 1981-2001
JJR 1975-
ken_r
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: Christmas Gift #2 teen CC pg 3 ch 3 dec 8

Post by ken_r »

Natalie36
begonia 9508
XAF RU208
pijeeechinadoll
Janetfl

Chapter 4

Max prepared to return to work that night. As holidays went, Christmas day was boring. Even the most agnostic or the most atheistic citizens had something of the Christmas spirit rub off on them. There was a lot of family tied into Christmas day. The tone was just different. For Lara, family meant sadness. She no longer had any family. Her whole world centered around the policeman and his wife who were caring for her.

After the company finally left, Lara just sat on the bed that she was calling hers. She stopped just short of saying her room or her house. She didn’t have either, anymore. Well, there was something in Phoenix, but that was far away. That something, without mother or father, just wasn’t anymore real than what she saw here. Maybe, even less. Lara wondered If she would ever see the things she thought of as hers that were now in Phoenix.

Lara placed before her the blue coat, the snow boots and finally the gloves. These were gifts that were given to her with out any expectations. In her lap, was the music box. When it ran down, she would again wind it up. The words of the shop owner had been told her, by Max, “Tell the little girl that God is with her, even if it seems he isn’t right now.” Lara was left to wonder what that meant. She had looked for God at the church. Liz had told her that God might be more a feeling than a vision. Lara shook her head. Really, she didn’t understand that at all. It had been nice to talk to the children who were more her age. It helped to be frank with them about her parents. The only other ones she talked to were Max and Liz. Max had told her that they would have to make some decisions tomorrow.

Max was patrolling, essentially an empty highway. He drove past the bars on his patrol and the only people he saw there were the regulars. As New Year’s Eve approached, things would pick up. Everyone would want to go out with a bang on New Year’s Eve. Most would end up sitting on their ass with a whimper and a few would not ever see the New Year. To cut down the number of those who would never see another year, anywhere, was the duty of the police. Max would have two days off coming up soon, but when he returned from those two days, he would be back in the battle zone. He heard that Michael, now, had 18 arrests for DUI. Kirby had surpassed Michael with 21. Michael called Kirby, “A damned smart-aleck.” Max and Liz, along with Lara, were going to fly to Phoenix on his two days off. Child services had been notified. There still wasn’t any word on supposed relatives for Lara.

The bodies of Lara’s parents were still being held. They had cleared toxicology, which meant Lara didn’t have to live with the thought that her father had been impaired in his driving. The cause of death was automobile accident due to weather conditions.

Max had asked Lara why they were traveling that night, but Lara like many children, had no idea of her parents reasoning. Max had called the Phoenix City Police again. One of their chaplains under took the chore of finding out something about her family. He checked the mortuaries and found that there was a burial plan on file with Johnson and Son Mortuary. The Heddingtons had planned for their future. Max imagined that they didn’t intend to use those plans so quickly. The chaplain, Reverend Henry also found out that one of the neighbors had a key to their home and had agreed to watch over it while the Heddingtons were out of town.

As said, Max only had two days off. He wouldn’t be able to stay for the funeral. He could help Liz and Lara arrange it while Liz, still being on vacation from school would stay with Lara and help her get through this.

Fortunately, the burial had been pre-arranged so only slight decisions were necessary for Lara with the help of Max and Liz to make. The house would have to stand probate. If there was a will anywhere, that would help. Otherwise the court in its wisdom, would handle the disposure of the property. Max, Liz and Lara would stay at the house while in Phoenix. Liz began a methodical removal of perishable food-stuffs. She also started the washing machine to clean all the clothes they found there. Lara was set to picking out clothes she could wear and any special items she wanted to take back with her. Liz had arranged on the last day they would be there, to have UPS pick up the boxes they would pack.

Max went through Leonard’s desk. He did find a card marked, George Salazar, Attorney at Law. Max picked up the telephone, “Mr. Salazar, My name is officer Max Evans with the New Mexico State Police. I am looking for someone who has represented Dora and Leonard Heddington in legal matters.”

Max noticed that Salazar was hesitant about answering. “You do know that they are deceased? They were in an automobile accident in New Mexico two days before Christmas. The only survivor is their daughter, Lara. My wife and I are caring for her for the time being.”

“Officer, that is terrible. Leonard and I were in high school together. I just made out a will for him about a year ago. How is his daughter?” Salazar asked.

“She is having a rough time of it. Can you spare me time to talk? I only have today and tomorrow. Then I have to be back on duty. My wife will remain a little longer.”

“Certainly, officer, I have been out of town and I didn’t see anything about the wreck if it was in the papers. Come by the office about 2:30 this afternoon.” With that, the attorney hung up.

Max felt a pull at his sleve, “Do I have to go?” Lara asked.

“No, I am sure sometime you need to see this man, but right now, I am just looking for information so we can get you settled somewhere,” Max told her.

Max didn’t see the tear or hear the prayer. “I want to stay with you.”

When Max arrived, Salazar was all business, “What is going to happen to the little girl?” he asked.

Max shrugged, “We don’t know yet. We are looking for kinfolks. They are not easy to find.”

Salazar slid a paper over to Max. There were several lines highlighted. “I do not want my daughter to be in the care of any of my in-laws.”

“Leonard and Dora had severed any ties with her people. There were problems about Dora marrying him. Of course, the court can override this. You see, Leonard was going to get back to me as to who would assume guardianship of Lara, in case of both he and Dora were killed. I think he never got back, because he couldn’t think of anyone.” George had warned Leonard that unless he was specific, the court would ignore his request.

“Can you send a copy of this will to Child Services in Albuquerque? I assume you will act in Lara’s interest in taking care of the house. She and Liz are packing up things Lara wants this afternoon.” Max was thinking he and Liz didn’t have any children yet, but they should think about arranging their things in case of their death. It was just too hard on loved ones to not have a plan already in place.

That afternoon, Lara and Liz had a hard time cleaning up. The doorbell was ringing almost continually. Liz had to turn down the traditional offers of food. They would only be in Phoenix a short time, so the food would end up wasted. There were several adults who had known the Heddingtons. Liz, being a policeman’s wife, always asked information about relations and anything they knew about their past. Yes, there was a grandmother, probably his mother, who was in a state nursing home. She was completely senile. She recognized no one. Max had told Liz that she ought to take Lara by to say good bye, anyhow.

A few friends of Lara’s came by. They were much like the Whitman girls who did not know what to say. For Liz and Lara, it was a trying afternoon.

The next day, Max helped the girls pack. His plane would leave at 4:00 that afternoon. The UPS man would come sometime after the funeral, but before Liz left on New Year’s Eve. There was nothing they could do about school because it was closed. A couple of mothers said their daughters would bring Lara’s things home from her school locker and the women promised to send them. Liz left her address.

Max was on the plane. He would sleep alone tonight, but tomorrow, he would be ready to be on patrol for New Years Eve.

Yes, New Year’s Eve, what a day to have a funeral. There were several people present and most of them came up to Lara. Taking her hand, they expressed their genuine sympathy. George Salazar was there. He handed Liz a check in Lara’s name for one thousand dollars. “I advanced this out of my own funds. There is a small bank account that will cover a lot of her initial expenses. She can pay me back when the court releases that. I will sell the house and property and bank it for Lara. If there is anything I can do, please call on me. I have a friend in Albuquerque who I will advise if you need any legal help there.”

4:00 that afternoon, just like Max the day before, Liz and Lara were on the plane heading home. Well, Liz was heading home. She was surprised when she picked up on, “Liz, when will the box we sent from Phoenix arrive home?” Lara asked.

New Year’s Eve, the only cops not on duty were the day shift and when they went in at 4:00 PM, they were bushed. Most of them were so tired that they were looking at the brochure that had come advertising jobs with the Department of Defense. These were jobs where they would have New Year’s Eve off. The swing shift and the graveyard shift, being the same for the state police, were moving out. The reservists were all at work. They, even those who had put in a full day at some mundane job, were alert with excitement.

The cruisers departed to their respective patrols. The radio was buzzing. Information that, “There is a big party at Lonnie’s bar tonight.”

“Yeah, the Post 69 already has a crowd.”

“Hey, Molly’s bar has a bunch. Better have the ambulances standing by.”

Molly was a senior citizen who had run a bar for two generations. Molly had a large wooden hammer. There were almost no fights at her bar. There were a lot of ambulance calls there to pick up concussion cases. Molly was a tough lady.

The skies were clear. Max was thankful. Last year, they had a surprise snow storm starting on New Year’s Eve about 11:30 that night. It was a storm that slipped under the weather system’s radar, not as big as the one before this Christmas but big enough to make driving hazardous. Parties were all over and when 2:00 AM the New Year’s morning came by, every one tried to drive home on streets they couldn’t manage stone sober.

Max had the man out of the car, “Aw come on, officer, I am just a little drunk. I could make it home.”

Max spun him around and bent him over the hood of the car. As Max was fastening the cuffs on the man he asked, “Do you have a family?”

“Yeah, I got a wife and three kids,” the drunk answered.

“Well, I just got back from arranging a funeral for a man and he wasn’t even drunk. Now, his kid doesn’t have anyone. You want to get drunk and kill yourself, do it next week! I am off and I won’t have to clean it up. You are going to Jail,” Max pushed the drunk into the back of the cruiser.

At the jail, Max ran into Michael. “How many is it now, Max?” Michael asked.

“I am not even counting. I was at the Hideaway lounge. They had a fight there. I just decked anyone I saw. I left the county to clean them up. Maybe, I will help Kyle get his count. My heart is just not in it,” Max answered him.

“Yeah, Maria said that you were taking that crash last week pretty hard,” Michael stated.

“Michael, she is just left with nobody. I did find a lawyer who will try to help her. I just hope he doesn’t rip her off too much,” Max said.

“Max, people are going to get killed and we are going to have to mop it up. Tonight, it is our job to keep them from getting killed before they even see the New Year. Get it together, boy. I don’t want to get a call that some crazy state officer is beating the crap out of a poor drunk just because he was driving with his wife and children in the car,” Michael said only half way in jest.

Max didn’t kill anyone that night or rather, that morning. He even got five more DUIs to jail. Suddenly, he looked to the east and the silver of morning was appearing on the mountains. “Albuquerque, this is car 103. I am calling it a night. Anything comes up, try to get the county to take it. I am home.”

It was noon when Max woke up. The smell of coffee came in as Liz, standing at the door, brought him his cup. Right behind her was Lara, she had a plate of eggs and toast. “Happy New Year, my dear,” Liz said.

“Yes, happy New Year, Max,” Lara said right behind Liz.

Max would have to go in this afternoon, but it was one of the lightest nights of the year. The drunks were all trying to get bailed out of jail or they were home nursing a mother of a hangover. Parties had all been last night. Most people had to get ready for work tomorrow. Liz had a couple more days then she would have to be back at school.

“Max, that reminds me, what are we going to do about Lara?” Liz asked.

“ I have to go in to talk to child services tomorrow. I will see what they say. George Salazar said that the Heddingtons did not want Lara to go to Dora’s family. He also said the court would decide. Since she is in New Mexico now, I presume it will be our court which decides,” Max answered.

Child Services had located Dora Heddington’s family. Mrs. Garcia was a motherly figure, “Max, the word of the Georgia Child Welfare was, If you can find someone else, do so. They wouldn’t certify those people to adopt a dog.”

“That bad, hunh! Well what should I do? She is too precious to send to someone who really doesn’t want her,” Max said.

Can you and Liz keep her a while longer? Enroll her in school and wait and see what the court decided in Arizona about her finances. Maybe, something will come up in the mean time.” Mrs. Garcia was thinking, Max and Liz would make great parents.

Max called Liz that afternoon. “Child Services wants us to keep her a little longer. They said the relatives are not fit to take her in.”

Liz couldn’t quite understand, but she felt happy when she was told Lara would remain with them a while longer.

“Lara, would you like to start school with the new year? I could take you to an elementary school near where I teach,” Liz ask her.

“Liz, what is going to happen to me? I don’t want to go to mamma’s people. They were never nice to her. I don’t think they would be nice to me either.”

“Lara, all we can do is take things as they come. Child services didn’t get along with your relatives either. For now, just stay with us. It won’t be too bad, will it?” Liz had a small catch in her voice as she was talking.

January went by. “Max, I am a genius. The judge said he didn’t find a single thing wrong with the will. It will be a slam dunk. I will get the house on the market and, as soon as I can sell it, I will put the money in her account. Max, don’t worry. I won’t rip her off. Leonard really was a friend of mine,” George Salazar’s glee was catching. It was President’s day. School was out and Lara was with the Whitman children. Isabel was taking them somewhere. Liz approached Max.

“Max I don’t want to lose Lara,” Liz stated.

“What do you mean? They are still looking for a home for her. When they find one, you have always known that she would have to go,” Max told Liz.

“That is just it, Max. I want her home to be with us. I want to have our own babies someday, but I do not want to always wonder what Lara would look like at her first prom or which school she would choose after graduation. There are just so many things that I want to be part of. Max I am starting to think of her as my own.” Max saw that Liz had been thinking about this for sometime.

“What do you think Lara will say? Does she want to live with us?” Max asked.

“I haven’t talked to her. I didn’t want to say anything before I talked to you. Say the word and we can have that chat,” Liz said.

“Wait until I talk to Child Services. Don’t build up any hope until we know if it is possible,” Max stated.

When Max approached Mrs. Garcia, she smiled. She pulled out a shelf of papers from her drawer. “I was hoping that you would come to that conclusion. Lara was just so happy last time I visited her. You and Liz sign these papers and we will get things started. Remember, it takes a year to finalize and sometimes creatures come out of the woodwork. We do have to inform the relatives in Georgia. Hopefully, they won’t care. If they do, then we will get a good lawyer.” Mrs. Garcia had been at this business a long time. She fancied herself at being able to make good judgments. Any cop and his family who worked this hard for a girl they had never seen a few months before, were all heart.

Max called Liz and that night while he was on patrol. She spoke to Lara. “Lara would you like to live with us?” Liz asked.

“I am living with you,” Lara was confused.

“No, I mean from now on. Would you like to be part of our family?” Liz questioned.

“What would that mean?” Lara asked

“Max and I would adopt you. You could keep, whatever last name you want, but we would be your parents. Kathy and Lexy would be your cousins. You wouldn’t have to change schools unless Max got transferred.” Liz was saying things that she had wanted to say for weeks. It was strange how just a nod from Max and a word from Child Services made this all possible.

Lara still couldn’t believe this was true. “Would I call you mommy?” she asked.

“If you want to. We could discuss what you would feel most comfortable with calling me later. I would call you my little girl,” Liz stated.

That night as Liz tucked Lara into bed, Lara said, “I think I felt God.”

Liz looked at her, “What do you mean?”

“I think I felt God. I didn’t see him, but when you said I was your little girl I just felt that everything was going to be all right. I think that was feeling God. I wasn’t going to be alone anymore.

Liz kissed her daughter good night.

JKR 1981-2001
JJR 1975-