Common Grammatical Errors

Have a challenge you'd like to see written? Have an idea that just won't get out of your head? Want to talk anything and everything fanfic or writer related? This is the place.

Moderators: ISLANDGIRL5, Forum Moderators

Breathless
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Breathless »

Drogyn wrote:
Breathless wrote:I've wondered the same thing about 'all right" vs 'alright'. It sounds like alright has become acceptable except to the traditionalists. To me, alright sounds more like a physical condition: "I feel alright", and all right sounds more adverbish (?), as in "All right, where did I put my keys."

that's my 2 cents!
Actually, I believe it's exactly the opposite.
Alright is officially not a word. It can be replaced by something in the line of 'ok' like "Alright, let's get out of here"
All right means that everything is right. To quote Herbal from Dark Angel: "It is all right, all the time".
So if you can't replace all right/alright by a simple adverb (such as 'ok') it is spelled 'all right'.
Of course, I could be wrong...
Wow, that's interesting. I wonder how long it will be before "alright" becomes an official word?

RosDude, what a post! You put a lot of work into that!
Behr's Bitch
Raychelxluscious
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Raychelxluscious »

Breathless wrote:
Wow, that's interesting. I wonder how long it will be before "alright" becomes an official word?
Just poppin' in because what Debbi said made me think of something, and I got a giggle.

I had a fantabulous English teacher the last two years of high school. I took AP English 11 and College English by the same teacher, and she was always stressing about how all of the incorrect grammar uses will one day become the correct usage. And it just amazed me.

She actually used "alright" as one of her examples, and also "thru" (as in drive-thru) and "rite" (as in rite aid). Because these are so common now, she says that eventually those spellings will be correct.

She also said it's because people are too lazy to use the right forms, but...whatever. -lol-

Anywho, I don't know if someone has said that or not, as I haven't read through all of the threads, but...Just sharing. :)

Raychel
writing is a socially accepted form of schizophrenia

Roswell, New Mexico S1 Watch Party
maxandliz4ever1357
Obsessed Roswellian
Location: Backpacking through Europe (ok so I'm not, but I wish I were)

Post by maxandliz4ever1357 »

Hmm, well, on my spell check, it doesn't correct 'alright'. I wonder if that means anything... :lol:
<center> I was terrified and would you mind if I sat next to you and watched you smile? </center>
Heavenli24
Obsessed Roswellian

Post by Heavenli24 »

I think I've always used alright in the past but now sometimes when I'm writing my spell check tells me it's wrong and that it should be all right, so now I can't decided whether to go with the 'correct' spelling or ignore it and use the modern one - I'll probably just end up alternating between the two when I feel like it! :)

Heavenli24
Spacegirl04
Addicted Roswellian
Location: will change avi if someone else has it; waiting to be admitted to psych ward

Post by Spacegirl04 »

just out of pure curiousity, I was wondering if it was ok or okay? because I get so confused on this, and when I use microsoft word it automatically puts in the periods between the o.k. like that ugh...

Also I never use a colon, I do however use a semi-colon because it seperates thought from feeling...this is what college english teachers are telling me to do? right or wrong...

:oops:
My Fics

Save the cheerleader Save the world,-heroes, I say huh?
LovinGuerin2Much
Addicted Roswellian

Post by LovinGuerin2Much »

Thats a good question Spacegirl04 I'd like to know the answer to that too.
Eccentric One
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Eccentric One »

According to my favorite grammar site, here's what we have:
This may be the most universal word in existence; it seems to have spread to most of the world’s languages. Etymologists now generally agree that it began as a humorous misspelling of “all correct": “oll korrect.” “OK” without periods is the most common form in written American English now, though “okay” is not incorrect.
So basically "ok" is the most common, but "okay" is also acceptable. From what I've seen in writings over the years, I'd have to agree. Those are the two most common ways I've seen it. And it hasn't ever bothered me which one is used. But "o.k." does bother me. Never had a clue why. Maybe it just looks wierd or something. :?

As far as colons vs. semi-colons goes, it had this to say:
Colons have a host of uses, but they mostly have in common that the colon acts to connect what precedes it with what follows. Think of the two dots of a colon as if they were stretched out to form an equal sign, so that you get cases like this: “he provided all the ingredients: sugar, flour, butter, and vanilla.” There are a few exceptions to this pattern, however. One unusual use of colons is in between the chapter and verses of a Biblical citation, for instance, “Matthew 6:5.” In bibliographic citation a colon separates the city from the publisher: “New York: New Directions, 1979.” It also separates minutes from hours in times of day when given in figures: “8:35.”

It is incorrect to substitute a semicolon in any of these cases. Think of the semicolon as erecting a little barrier with that dug-in comma under the dot; semicolons always imply separation rather than connection. A sentence made up of two distinct parts whose separation needs to be emphasized may do so with a semicolon: “Mary moved to Seattle; she was sick of getting sunburned in Los Angeles.” When a compound sentence contains commas within one or more of its clauses, you have to escalate to a semicolon to separate the clauses themselves: “It was a mild, deliciously warm spring day; and Mary decided to walk to the fair.” The other main use of semicolons is to separate one series of items from another—a series within a series, if you will: “The issues discussed by the board of directors were many: the loud, acrimonious complaints of the stockholders; the abrupt, devastating departure of the director; and the startling, humiliating discovery that he had absconded with half the company’s assets.” Any time the phrases which make up a series contain commas, for whatever reason, they need to be separated by semicolons.

Many people are so terrified of making the wrong choice that they try to avoid colons and semicolons altogether, but I’m afraid this just can’t be done. Formal writing requires their use, and it’s necessary to learn the correct patterns.
I guess I fall into that too terrified category. I've never been comfortable with semi-colons. It always seemed to me that I could just separate a sentence with a semi-colon into two sentences separated by a period. Eh, guess I'll never be a formal writer then, huh?

Kara
I abhor the dull routine of existence. I crave for mental exhortation. - Sherlock Holmes
Spacegirl04
Addicted Roswellian
Location: will change avi if someone else has it; waiting to be admitted to psych ward

Post by Spacegirl04 »

The only reason I truly know how to use a semi colon is because microsoft has this program on it where it underline's in green and red when you click on the word that is underlined it gives you examples of what you can do to make the sentence more understandable...but I wasn't sure if it was correct hence the O.K. thing which really got on my nerves..so now I'm using Okay or ok lol...
My Fics

Save the cheerleader Save the world,-heroes, I say huh?
JustVisiting
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by JustVisiting »

Mistakes that bother me a lot..

Than and Then
Use then to show sequence, what happens next. Other meanings include "at that time" and "as a necessary consequence"
Examples:
- The whole family had a leisurely breakfast. We then went outside to enjoy the beautiful weather.
- He was just a little child then.
- If she is going to write another novel, then she should find another editor.
Use than to compare things.
Example: The dinosaur bones were older than anything I had ever seen before.
Unfortunately, I find that the then and than problem happens quite often.

Also..
it's and its
http://www.stormloader.com/garyes/its/#top

Isabelle and Micheal (which is a used form of Michael) bother me as well as general spelling within the fic.
Zendorox
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by Zendorox »

Shiesty23 wrote:
pooklette wrote:I have sort of a left-field question for you guys...

I'm writing a fic where Rath is one of the characters and I'm trying to duplicate his horrible accent and slang. In my fic, he never refers to women by their first names, but by various obnoxious nicknames. When you're referring to a woman as 'a chick' how exactly do you spell 'chick' in that context. Everytime I type 'chick' I feel like it looks wrong...like I'm referring to a chicken. Is it chick, chic, or what?

Thanks! :)

The slang spelling of it is: Chic
Actually Chic is the more modern use. If you read anything written in the 70s, you'll find it spelled "chick".

Looking it up on dictionary.com...

chick ( P ) Pronunciation Key (chk)
n.

A young chicken.
The young of any bird.
A child.
Slang. A girl or young woman.

chic ( P ) Pronunciation Key (shk)
adj. chic·er, chic·est
Conforming to the current fashion; stylish: chic clothes; a chic boutique.
Adopting or setting current fashions and styles; sophisticated: chic, well-dressed young executives. See Synonyms at fashionable.

n.
The quality or state of being stylish; fashionableness.
Sophistication in dress and manner; elegance.
Last edited by Zendorox on Fri Oct 07, 2005 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.