When the heck IS Max's birthday anyway? The Roscanon thread

Have a challenge you'd like to see written? Have an idea that just won't get out of your head? Want to talk anything and everything fanfic or writer related? This is the place.

Moderators: ISLANDGIRL5, Forum Moderators

Chrisken
Obsessed Roswellian

Post by Chrisken »

Roslover39 wrote:that's an interesting thought about nasedo.

I was wondering, If Nasedo was supposed to be a protector of the Royal

Four, how is it that he made a deal 40 or so years ago for tess to

sabotage them?
Well, he probably didn't make the deal specifically for Tess. He made it before she came out of the pod and cut her in on it for some reason, probably because he thought he needed to have one of the Royal Four on his side and Kivar didn't care much about Ava. Ed also apparently didn't foresee his own death... which means that he'd have been more involved in the sabotage himself.

Given what we learned of how the protectors were treated in 'Control', I don't think it's too unlikely that Ed would feel hard done by and go looking for a better offer from the other side. He might have to obey Max and not hurt any of them himself, but I don't think there's anything that would keep him from making sure that they ended up in the custody of some of Kivar's hirelings, and then being unable to save them from harm (like if they were taken off the planet, or something.) I'm not quite sure how it was originally supposed to work.

As to why Whittaker didn't get the memo... well, presumably the deal was not 'need to know' for the copper summit skins, at least not the soldiers of the ranks. (I wonder if Nicholas knew?)

The moral: Don't try to compel your protector's loyalty with tricky brain DNA techniques. Get some who actually WANT to serve your side... maybe for idealistic reasons? I dunno..
Read my other roswell stories!

"A man does not make his destiny: he accepts it or denies it. If the Rowan tree's roots are shallow, it bears no crown." From 'the farthest shore', Ursula LeGuin.

Roslover39
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Roslover39 »

I have a question:

I've read in some fanfiction that when one of the pod squad has sex

with someone, that a bond is formed and they will only desire that one

person for life. That isn't Roswell cannon is it?

which brings me to another question:

Since jesse was Isabel's first, wasn't that bond formed?

and what about max being with tess first then liz, if his bond

was formed with liz instead of tess, why?
By French Dreamer

"Evans, take it from someone who has seen way too many telegrams go out to newly widowed wives. In the long run it's best to travel as light as you can, if you know what I mean." Jim Valenti

Coming Soon!
Chrisken
Obsessed Roswellian

Post by Chrisken »

Roslover39 wrote:I have a question:

I've read in some fanfiction that when one of the pod squad has sex

with someone, that a bond is formed and they will only desire that one

person for life. That isn't Roswell cannon is it?

which brings me to another question:

Since jesse was Isabel's first, wasn't that bond formed?

and what about max being with tess first then liz, if his bond

was formed with liz instead of tess, why?
No, I don't believe this is canon in any way and hasn't really been referred to on the show.

There's fan pseudo-canon I think, inspired by the aliens ability to connect with people (in the pilot and the RH books,) to get 'flashes', and how Liz and Max seemed to be so in sync in 'sexual healing.' Seemed like a reasonable extrapolation that sex would be intimate in a greatly different way with an alien involved, that there would be an element of mental linkage as well as physical. Different authors have taken this in different directions - I know I have.

The idea that the bond is completely exclusive and unbreakable seems stronger than what I've come across, but maybe I just haven't been delving into the right kind of stories. ;) Come to think of it, sheeperz hinted at that at least, in the DJ series.

Hope that helps.

"A man does not make his destiny: he accepts it or denies it. If the Rowan tree's roots are shallow, it bears no crown." From 'the farthest shore', Ursula LeGuin.

Zanity
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Zanity »

I was reading Everything You Are by javagin and when it got to the part about Liz's parents having blue eyes I went back to my DVD's and watched leaving normal closely. Now, I've been accused from time to time of being a tad color blind so can anyone confirm for me what I think I saw. That Jeff, Nancy, and Claudia Parker all do indeed have blue eyes. If so, given that javagin is right about the genetics, it seems Liz's brown eyes make an interesting CHADD.
lizard_queen
Addicted Roswellian

Post by lizard_queen »

Im not so sure about what colour her parents eyes actually are, but in regards to the genetics...

When it comes to things like eye colour, there are two different sorts of things that can happen. ( i did this last yr in bio at school).

Theres a dominant and recessive gene. For example, if someones eyes are pure, then their eye colour can be refered to as Bb, with B and b both being blue.

But, there is a possibility that they can have blue eyes and yet not be pure because the blue is dominatnt and another colour, such as brown is recessive, meaning that its there but it doesn't show up.

So, if Both of Liz's parents have blue eyes and she has brown, it means that one or possibly both of them have Bbr eyes, with B beaing blue and dominant, and br being brown and recessive.

Theres a little table that you draw to calculate the possible outcomes with certain genes. So, if Jeff's eyes are Bbr and Nancy's eyes are Bbr, you draw a little table and find out the results:

. B br
B . .
br . .

Then u calculate the colour. B x B = BB - which is pure blue, etc, so the table could end up as...

. B br
B BB Bbr
br Bbr brbr

Now, if you can see that properly, since this is hard to draw it properly on here... the one highlighted in red is Brown Brown...

Therefore, in short, there is a possibility for Liz to have brown eyes!

Yeah, i hope that made some sort of sense and helped you.... :oops:
:D Ki-ki :D

My Stuff

tequathisy
Addicted Roswellian

Post by tequathisy »

It's possible for two parents with blue eyes to have a brown eyed child but not for parents with brown eyes to have a blue eyed child. Liz should have known that in wahtever fic you were reading it's usually covered in most basic biology books, lol.
Banner by Evelyn
lizard_queen
Addicted Roswellian

Post by lizard_queen »

How come it takes you 3 lines to explain it so well, yet it took me how many?

This sucks. I bet mine didn't even make any sense. :cry:

My Stuff

Chrisken
Obsessed Roswellian

Post by Chrisken »

lizard_queen wrote:But, there is a possibility that they can have blue eyes and yet not be pure because the blue is dominatnt and another colour, such as brown is recessive, meaning that its there but it doesn't show up.

So, if Both of Liz's parents have blue eyes and she has brown, it means that one or possibly both of them have Bbr eyes, with B beaing blue and dominant, and br being brown and recessive.
Ummm... are you sure you don't have that backwards?? I was pretty sure that it was the brown eye gene that was dominant, meaning that it's quite often possible for non-brown eye colors, (blue or green for that matter, there's another gene that differentiates between non-brown eye colors IIRC,) to be born to two brown-eyed parents as a 'sport', but not nearly as likely for brown eyes to appear in the child of a non-brown-eyed family. This is also backwards from the way tequathisy said it.

I just went on a quick web search to see if I might be the one that has it backwards, and found some cites. Here's a cool one: http://www.athro.com/evo/inherit.html

Now, of course, genetics is never completely cut and dried, and there could have been an extremely minor mutation or a bit of genetic drift that would explain Liz's eye color. Or, for that matter, the producers just weren't too careful looking at such details when casting her parents. :D

lizard_queen
Addicted Roswellian

Post by lizard_queen »

Eh, i probably do have it backwards, It was last year that i learnt about it, and all that i wrote was from memory, but my point initially was... yes, it is possible for brown eyed parenst to have blue eyed kids.

My Stuff

Itzstacie
Forum Moderator

Post by Itzstacie »

lizard_queen wrote:Eh, i probably do have it backwards, It was last year that i learnt about it, and all that i wrote was from memory, but my point initially was... yes, it is possible for brown eyed parenst to have blue eyed kids.
]

I can vouche for that both of my parents have brown eyes...my sister and I both have blue eyes.