My Beloved Mae (UC,Mi/?,MATURE) {Complete} 06/16

All finished stories from the Unconventional Couples board, the Crossover board, and the Alien Abyss boards will eventually be moved here. See those forums for descriptions.

Moderators: Anniepoo98, Itzstacie, truelovepooh, Erina, Forum Moderators

Midwest Max
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Midwest Max »

Mareli must have been reading ahead ;)

Part Twenty

“This one, too?” I ask, pointing at a large box.

Isabel is packing up, clearing out her apartment, getting ready to head for the west coast. Her place is littered with boxes and clutter, a very un-Isabel-like scene.

“I can get that,” she says, stopping to wipe a stray hair out of her eyes. “I don’t want you doing too much.”

I pin her with a stare, then bend and pick up the box. Christ – is this thing full of bowling balls? I hide my grunt of effort for fear she’ll come running to my rescue and alien or not, it’s just not cool in the Guy Handbook to have a chick carrying something for you. I bite my lips, hiding my strain as I limp toward my truck with the box. We’re loading up everything that isn’t necessary and putting it into a storage locker she’s rented. Her stuff will be here when she gets back. If she comes back.

I plunk the box into the bed of the truck and I swear it falls down to the axle. I take one peek over my shoulder to make sure she’s not looking, then lift the lid out of curiosity. The box is full of books. No freaking wonder.

Back in the apartment, Isabel is sitting Indian-style before her CD rack, making neat piles of discs on the floor.

“What are you doing?” I ask, hobbling over to the couch and taking a load off my tired leg.

“Trying to decide if I should trade some of these in,” she answers, reading the back of one of the discs. She wrinkles her nose. “I mean, I can’t believe I used to listen to some of this stuff.”

I tilt my head sideways and check out some of the artists. I can’t believe she listened to some of that stuff either. One could never accuse Isabel of having the best taste in music.

“Do you want them?” she asks, looking my way.

I shake my head. It’s also not cool to have a Shakira CD in your home. I glance around the apartment. All of the full boxes have been loaded into the truck, while others are scattered around the place in various stages of packing.

“What can I do?” I ask her.

She puts down the CD she was looking at and thinks for a moment. “Nothing for now, Michael. It’s been a long day. Why don’t we quit for now? I’ll get some more stuff cleaned up tonight and then maybe tomorrow we could make another trip?”

“Sounds good,” I reply, pushing myself to my feet. It has been a long day, but I’ve been thankful for the diversion – I didn’t really want to think about Mae today.

“Let me get my shoes and I’ll help you unload that stuff,” Isabel says, climbing to her bare feet.

“No need. I’ll drop it off on my way home.”

She looks uncertain. “Are you sure? I mean, there’s a lot there.”

I give a little grin. “Not a problem, princess.”

She smiles back at the nickname and I’m so relieved that we’re this comfortable with one another. “Okay, then,” she says, straddling a box to make her way over to me. Reaching for me, she pulls me tight against her in a familiar, loving hug. “Thank you for your help today, Michael. I really appreciate it.”

I close my eyes, for some inexplicable reason emotional about her kindness and affection. “Anything for my Izzy,” I say into her hair.

She laughs and pulls away. “Can you be back around noon tomorrow?”

I nod, then make my way to the parking lot. Isabel watches me go, waves as I pull from the lot. In the truck, alone, I feel so freaking isolated that I might go mad. I stop by the storage facility, open her locker with my powers – well, I thought it was her locker. I’ve opened someone else’s by accident. Flushing with guilt, I look around to see if anyone noticed, then move over to the next locker, the correct one this time. I shovel her boxes into the space, stacking them neatly with labels pointing outward, just like an anal-retentive alien would.

On my way back to my apartment, I’m feeling that lost sense again and I don’t want to go back there. I need to be around people and I realize with a stab of regret that soon there will be no one familiar to be with. I choose the unfamiliar instead – The Billy Club, Roswell’s dive of all dive bars.

I suppose if I were a drinking man, I’d be lining up the shots of Jack Daniels, or pounding pints until I could barely see. But I’m not a drinking man – I’m not even a normal man. So I sit at the bar nursing a soda water, my eyes fixed on my own reflection in the mirror behind the bottles of liquor. I look tired. I look haggard. There’s one consolation in that – no one in their right mind would hit on me tonight.

Alas, there she is, squeezing onto the barstool beside me. I resist looking directly at her, but I can still see her in the mirror. Holy cow – was a throw back to the goth age! She’s got Anne Rice hair, which looks oddly maroon in this light, there’s a ring in her nose and she’s dressed like she’s going to a nineteenth-century funeral. A necklace of large beads hangs around her neck and she makes all kinds of clinking, tinkling noises when she moves. Good Lord.

“Hi,” she says in a voice happier than the one I expected. I thought I’d hear a deadpan Daria voice out of her, or maybe that of the grim reaper.

“Hey,” I mumble, glancing at her. Her lipstick is the color of midnight, but her eyes remind me of those of a Siberian Husky. She’s striking in a disturbing kind of way.

“I’m Bethany,” she offers, holding out her hand.

I look at her fingers, loaded down with rings, making her look like a gypsy. I shake her hand and turn back to the mirror. If ever there was a night when I didn’t want companionship…

“I need a drink,” she announces, then hails down the bartender. She orders some foo foo drink, but then pulls a pack of cigarettes from the satchel she calls a purse. “Do you have a light?” Her eyes are hopeful.

I shake my head. I quit that, babe. Bad for you.

“Damn,” she says, then hails the bartender once again. He seems amused by her. She sips her drink, smokes her cigarette and for a while I think maybe she’s just passing through, that maybe she’ll leave me alone. No such luck. “Why are you sad?”

I glance at her. “Who said I’m sad?”

She shrugs. “No one had to say it. It’s obvious.”

I blink and look back to the mirror, see that my lips are pursed – I think I do that without even knowing I’m doing it.

“I know,” she baits. “A girl, right?”

Well, she’s a regular rocket scientist. Aren’t most men huddled alone at a bar with a “Do Not Disturb” vibe coming off them nursing a broken heart?

“Wow,” Bethany says, drawing on her cigarette. “She must’ve been something special to have you so bound up like that. Why don’t you tell me about her?”

Because I don’t want to…wait a minute, yes I do. I don’t know why I do, but I do nevertheless. So I spill all of the gory details, about Mae once upon a time only meaning sex, then meaning something more, then my being kicked to the curb when she found a lesbian lover.

The whole time, my new friend listens, sips her drink, crosses her legs patiently under her long, black skirt. Occasionally she nods her head, but she doesn’t really say a word and she doesn’t act like she’s bored. I can’t quite figure her out. She’s not like other women I’ve met in bars.

When I’m done telling my story, I feel drained, but not necessarily exposed or embarrassed. Strange.

“Wow, that sucks,” she says, snubbing out her cigarette in a glass ashtray.

I nod. “Yeah. And the last of my friends is leaving the state.” I stare despondently at the wooden counter top. “I’m alone.”

Bethany grins a knowing smile, which makes me shift uncomfortably in my seat. She orders another drink and we sit in silence for a long moment.

“It’s no fun to believe you’re alone,” she finally says. “Such an empty, lost feeling.”

“Exactly.”

“Especially after the relationship you wished for didn’t pan out.”

“Exactly.”

She draws in a breath. “So, what are you going to do?”

I scowl slightly. “How am I supposed to know?”

She looks surprised. “Well, if you don’t know, then who does?”

I stare blankly at her.

“You’re master of your own destiny,” she says, lighting another cigarette. Wonderful – more talk of destinies. “You have free will. You can do whatever you please.”

I snort. “Yeah, but what about the consequences?”

She laughs, a sound that is familiar but not quite. “Well, that’s where your better judgment comes in. Just because you’re free to do something, it doesn’t mean you should.”

I give her a one-sided smile, then I realize that I’ve been doing a lot of that. I’ve slept with women indiscriminately – single, married, barely legal, it didn’t matter. I even screwed Mae in an elevator when I knew she was committed to someone else. I know that Mae claims to be free and liberal in her beliefs, but I hypocritically did something against my own beliefs. And now I’m paying the consequences.

“You’re too hard on yourself,” Bethany says, blowing a stream of smoke over her head.

I snort. “How would you know?”

She shrugs her slim shoulders; she’s a tiny woman under all of those black, baggy clothes. “I just know. I can tell.”

Oh, Christ. Another one like Mae. I roll my eyes and look at my reflection again.

“You wanna know what I think?” she says.

Do I have a choice?

“I think that you’ve been blessed.”

I turn back to her, my brow furrowed. What a crazy bitch.

“You have,” she affirms happily, nodding her head.

“How do you figure?”

“Because you’ve had someone to love,” she says simply.

I blink, then sigh and turn away again. “And look how far it’s gotten me.” In a hole of a bar, talking to an obnoxious lunatic.

Bethany breathes a soft sigh. “One day you will see,” she offers quietly. “It’s far better –”

“To have loved and lost than never to have loved at all?” I interrupt, close to snapping at her. “I know that cliché.”

One corner of her mouth lifts upward, but she shakes her head. “No. I was going to say that it’s far better to have known what it was like to love, than to be loved in return. Being able to feel love is a precious gift.”

I look into my glass, trying to digest what she has said. Is it true? Am I a better man for feeling the things I have than if I’d also felt someone loved me in return? I’m not so sure.

Bethany digs in her purse again, pulls out a wallet. “My time’s almost up,” she says, rummaging for cash.

I look at her curiously. I’ve heard people say “I’ve gotta run” or “I’ve gotta go” but never “My time’s almost up.” She sounds like a shrink or something.

She plops a twenty dollar bill on the bar and starts to hop down from her stool. I raise an eyebrow – that’s quite a tip she’s leaving, for someone who dresses like a bag lady. As she hoists the humungous purse over her shoulder, she puts a hand on my arm and I feel a tingling there. Like static electricity, but not really.

“You hang in there, Michael,” she says with a twinkle in her eye. “Your path is before you, you just can’t see it yet.”

What an odd little woman. The door opens and a gawky man in a Cubs hat walks in.

“There’s my boyfriend,” Bethany says. “I have to go now. It’s been nice talking to you.”

With a smile and a whirl of fabric, she floats out the door. I can still feel the slight buzzing in my arm and it’s quite a unique sensation. Unnatural, really. There was something bizarre about that little woman, but I don’t really feel threatened by her. Spooky.

I start to lift my drink to my lips, but the glass slips out of my hand as I lose my grip. Looking into the mirror, I can see the surprise that is written on my face. She called me Michael.

And I never told her my name.

tbc
Midwest Max
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Midwest Max »

And then there was earthlink :D

Part Twenty One

I had the strangest dream last night. I dreamt I was in a smoky, filthy bar drowning my sorrows in a non-alcoholic beverage when in walked a strange little woman. She sat on a barstool beside mine and I blurted out all that was amiss in my life. At least I think it was a dream, for two reasons – I can’t really remember what she looked like and I never spill my issues to anyone, let alone a complete stranger.

As I use a rubber mallet to knock apart Isabel’s bed frame, I obsess about trying to remember that girl. She seemed so real, and yet not. I can almost picture her face, then the image flutters away like dandelion fluff on a wind. It’s disconcerting to say the least.

Isabel comes into the room, looking move-weary, and puts her hands on her hips. “I think we need to take the mattress next,” she says.

I glance at it, then straighten from my stooped position. “What are you going to sleep on for the next two days?” The couch is already on the truck.

She shrugs. “The floor, I guess.”

I frown. I can’t stand the thought of Isabel curled up on the hard floor all night. “Isabel, no. Stay with me.”

She raises an eyebrow.

I sigh, roll my eyes playfully. “I’ll be good, I won’t make any passes at you or anything.”

At that, she laughs.

“Let’s get this thing on the truck,” I say, motioning toward the mattress.

It turns out that the mattress has a life of its own. It wobbles this way and that, sending us stumbling over one another, down the front steps, into the landscaping and finally into the back of the U-Haul. We’re both out of breath as we drop to the floor, our feet dangling off the back of the truck. A few spots over, my truck is heaped with boxes for the storage locker. Isabel had a lot of shit packed into that apartment. I don’t think I have a tenth of what she does.

“Well,” I say between breaths. “Let’s hope the box spring isn’t that hard to handle.”

She nods her head in agreement, gives me a little grin.

We sit in the truck for a few minutes, shielded from the heat. I take a look at it – it’s not the biggest truck available, but it’s got some size to it. There’s a little nagging in my head about Isabel driving this thing all of the way to San Francisco. Not that she couldn’t do it – she could kick this truck’s ass from here to Canada and back. It’s just the thought of her doing this all by herself…

“What are you going to do with that?” I ask, gesturing toward her little red convertible. I dread that she’s going to try to tow-bar it behind this moving truck.

She eyes it longingly. “I’m not taking it,” she says with regret. “Parking is at a premium in San Francisco and most people just walk or take public transit. I was going to store it in my Dad’s garage.” She glances at me. “Do you want to drive it while I’m gone?”

Inside, I give a little jump for glee – if she’s leaving her car here, that means she’s going to come back someday. Outwardly, I shake my head – even though the car’s hot, I’m a truck man. “Nah, that’s okay. I’d probably wreck it anyway.” She looks startled until I give her a mischievous wink.

“You’re funny,” she says dryly as she hops down out of the truck and heads back to the apartment.

I follow in her wake, that girl from last night flashing across my brain. God, I hate that I can’t remember her! It’s so frustrating. Inside the apartment, Isabel is standing on a chair and taking down her curtains. The place looks so bare now. When she was all settled in, this was one of the homiest apartments I’d ever seen – she has a knack for making a house a home.

As the curtains fall away from the window, sunlight shines through the glass and momentarily blinds me. The light is so intense that I can barely make out Isabel’s form as she folds the curtains, her head bent downward. It’s like she’s not really there anymore.

Something inside of me lurches and I realize pretty soon she won’t be there. She will be out of reach, out of my life, out in the world. It’s a big bad place out there, full of aliens and FBI men and just plain assholes. She’s a strong person, yes, but she’s also vulnerable in so many ways. Once she’s gone, who’s going to be there to look out for her?

Who’s going to be here to look out for me?

I feel a cold chill run through my body. When Isabel goes, I’m going to be alone. All alone. I’ve never been without her or Max, the only stable things I’ve ever had in my life. Against my will, a film loop runs through my mind – Isabel at the age of ten kissing my bruised cheek to make it better. Max at age twelve rolling out a sleeping bag beside his bed so I can get a safe night’s sleep. Isabel at age thirteen indignantly showing me her bra after I hounded her into doing so. Max at sixteen removing another bruise from my cheek. Isabel at seventeen wordlessly, selflessly splitting her lunch with me when I had none.

I can’t do this alone. I need them. As much as I’m afraid of Isabel being alone in the world, I’m afraid of being isolated myself.

Your path is before you.

That’s what that odd little woman told me. I jump, startled as I hear her voice clearly in my head. Maybe she was real. Maybe it wasn’t a dream. Maybe she was trying to tell me about what I’m feeling inside right now.

Why am I staying here in Roswell? I have no family here. Max and Isabel are my family. Aside from Kyle, what friends I had are now gone – either dead or moved on. I have work here, but I can work anywhere.

“Iz,” I say quietly, shakily, and so softly that she doesn’t hear me. “Isabel,” I say louder.

She turns to face me and steps down from the chair, the sun no longer hiding her from me. “What, Michael?” She’s still folding the curtains, her expression unsuspecting.

“What if…” This is going to sound so stupid when it comes out of my mouth.

Isabel stops folding and regards me with concern. “Are you okay?”

I nod, glance at the floor and then back. “What if I said…um, that I wanted to go with you?” I raise an eyebrow in question, feeling utterly exposed.

Both of her brows shoot straight up, however. “What?” she says.

I wave a hand and turn to pick up a box. “Never mind,” I say quickly. “Ignore me.”

But she’s beside me, her expression amused rather than ridiculing. “What did you say? Did you say you wanted to come with me?”

I straighten, bite my lip, look at the floor. “Um, yeah.”

She looks into the distance for a moment, like she’s just seen something bizarre and is trying to convince herself she really saw it. Finally, she asks, “Are you serious?”

I draw in a deep breath. “I was…”

“But you’re not now?”

“I don’t know,” I say slowly. “Depends on the reaction I’m about to get.”

She blinks and is silent for an agonizing few seconds. Then she breaks into a grin that could light up a night sky. “If you said you wanted to come with me, then I’d say I wanted you to, too.”

I feel the smile spreading across my face, wider than it has been in a long time. We share an awkward, happy moment, then kick the packing into high gear – when we’re gone here, we’re going to have to do my apartment, which should take about an hour and a half.

Driving home, I feel light and free inside. I don’t have many regrets about leaving this place and now that I’ve decided to do so, I know in my heart that it’s the right decision. I was going nowhere here, I was wasting into someone I didn’t like and didn’t want to be.

Three blocks from my apartment, I find that girl I kicked out not so long ago walking down the street. Melanie, Melody, something with an M. I remember that she lived only a few blocks over and I feel a stab of guilt at treating her like she wasn’t worthy of so much as a ride home. In an attempt at redemption, I pull up beside her and roll down the window.

“Hey,” I call. “Need a ride?”

She pauses long enough to look into my window, then snorts. “Not from you. Thanks.”

As she continues to walk, I frown, lifting my foot off the brake enough to coast beside her. “I’m not going to try to fuck you.”

She stops again, cocks her head, then climbs into the truck.

We drive in silence until she points to her parents’ house. As promised, I don’t lay a hand on her – I simply pull to the curb and let her out. She looks confused, thanks me, then disappears into her house. As I watch her go, I realize that I’ve screwed over so many people I could spend the next three years repenting for my past sins.

I drive back to my place, climb the stairs with a bit of guilt hanging over me. I’ve been an asshole and it took someone beating me at my own game to snap me out of it. Actually, it wasn’t even my game because Mae-Ling was honest to herself and to me in everything she was doing. Me, I’ve been the master of self-denial and deception.

I know that Isabel isn’t the one for me. I know that Mae isn’t either. I’ve pretty much ruled out most of the population of Roswell, New Mexico. But I get the feeling that there is something wonderful waiting just over the horizon. I don’t know where I’ll go or who I’ll meet, but I feel a sense of anticipation coursing through my brain. I need to shed the old Michael and start anew.

And in two days, I’m doing just that.

THE END
roswellluver
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by roswellluver »

That was a terrific ending to your wonderful story! Thanks for sharing your time and talent!