From Loathe to Love (AU,CC,MATURE) AN, 12/13/06[WIP]

This is the place where fics that have not been updated in the past three months will be moved until the author asks a mod to move them back to an active board.

Moderators: Anniepoo98, ISLANDGIRL5, truelovepooh, Forum Moderators

liz_maria
Addicted Roswellian
Location: The city of parties and never-ending dreams(a.k.a. the Philippines)

From Loathe to Love (AU,CC,MATURE) AN, 12/13/06[WIP]

Post by liz_maria »

Applauds to jasonbehrschick for such a wonderful banner! :D

Author: liz_maria

Disclaimer: Don’t own anything that has to do with the show’s creators, cast & crew, book makers and songs to be used, quotes…

Pairing: It’s an M/L, M/M, I/A pairing. Focused on M/L. No Aliens here.

Rating: Mature

Summary: Max and Liz are sworn enemies, but when Max is in need of a "fiancee" ASAP, he strikes a deal with Liz that could just about change the way they see each other.

A/N: This is from one of the challenges of lovalien Thank you for the great plot! :)

'O, change thy thought, that I may change my mind.
Shall hate be fairer lodged than gentle love?'

-from Shakespeare's 10th Sonnet

Prologue

Morning

Just another day in the life of Liz Parker. Another day to start running around in her home, fumbling for her things because she was running late for work.

Closing the apartment’s door behind her, Liz was dismayed to find out that Max Evans, her most detested neighbor, was coming out of his place at the same time.

Liz’s hatred for Max had been going on for a long time. Ever since the day she moved in, actually. When she met him, it was obvious to her that he was the typical childish player. A cocky jerk to say the least. Since then, they had never gotten along at all.

Liz tried to run back inside her apartment but she soon realized that she had already locked the door and retrieving the keys would take way too long. She decided instead to try her luck on getting past him without being noticed.

Unfortunately for her, Max’s senses were quite keen and he noticed Liz’s movements from the corner of his eye.

He turned in her direction and gave her a fake smile. “Good morning, Liz.” He said in a tone that was way too cheery to be sincere.

Shit, caught! was all that came to Liz’s mind. She had no other choice than to face the enemy.

She gave him a stiff smile and nodded. “Good morning, Max.”

Max gave her a look that meant that he was not buying her "kind" return. He feigned a cough that said ‘uptight’ which did not go unnoticed by Liz.

Her eyes narrowed at him. “What an asshole.” She muttered.

Max blew out a shrill whistle. “Looks like somebody didn’t get any…” he said clicking his tongue.

“Well, looks like somebody got a fuck overdose.” Liz said dryly. She spun around and started walking down the stairs.

“Nice come back there, Elizabeth.” Max called after her.

Liz only rolled her eyes. “Thank you, but I’m getting late for work. Goodbye.” She said as she continued her walk to the lobby.

tbc
Last edited by liz_maria on Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:28 pm, edited 33 times in total.
liz_maria
Addicted Roswellian

Post by liz_maria »

A/N: Thanks to LittleHottie510, lovalien, JasonBehrsChick, coloradospace, roswellluver, Behrsgirl77, frenchkiss70, Angel eyes, Cherry Bomb, g7silvers, Gidget2 for the great fbs.

Behrsgirl77: Liz just hates Max because she was kind of a stereotype when she saw him and assumed that he was the typical player. And Max is just sorta playing along :roll:

Noon

Liz was sitting in a restaurant having lunch with her best friend Maria who is married and quite smug about it too.

She was talking to Maria about her meeting with Max.

“He’s just so… sure of himself,” Liz was saying. She ranted on for a few minutes while Maria was watching her, amused.

When she was done talking about all the ways she wanted to kill Max, Maria smiled.

“Well, you know what that means,” she said.

“What?” Liz asked curious to know what Maria was talking about.

“That hate is similar to love. Both are emotions that are strongly felt. You have to have a lot of passion to feel that way,” Maria explained.

“Are you implying what I think you’re implying?” Liz stared at her in shock.

“Maybe. Hate can turn out to be love,” Maria said, voicing out Liz’s worst fear. “I mean, it’s
possible,” she reasoned.

“Are you aware of what you’ve just said?!” Liz exclaimed glaring at Maria. “He’s my worst enemy, for goodness sake!”

“You can never tell…” Maria smiled. "Besides, what's all this drama about having a 'worst enemy'? What are you, a kindergartner?"

“Let’s
not talk about this. Please,” Liz wrinkled her nose in disgust.

Maria shrugged in resignation. “What do you want to talk about, then?”

Liz grinned. “How’s married life so far?”

As she took a sip of her drink, she noticed Maria’s face set in a dreamy expression. She didn’t have to answer to know. It was obvious that Maria was sick with the love bug.

“Everything’s just coming up roses,” her best friend sighed.

“Sheesh! What did Michael feed you?” Liz said with a raised eyebrow.

Maria casted her a sideways glance. “I’ll ask you
that when you fall in love,” she countered.

Liz sighed. “I hope you ask me soon…”

Chapter 1
That Night

Reinstalling light bulbs in a dark room isn’t the easiest job in the world. If you happened to ask Max about that, he’d have given you a lengthy speech on how frustrating it could be, especially if you were specifically talking about the two bulbs that had burnt out at almost the same time in the same room.

This room happened to be the living room. And Max was currently perched on a stepladder, trying to unscrew and replace both bulbs.

He was now on the second and last bulb, trying to screw it on when the phone rang. It surprised him so that he almost dropped the bulb. He immediately fumbled for it, trying to catch it with both hands. Just before it fell further, he managed to get a good grip on the thing. “Got you, you little bastard,” he murmured. He carefully set the offending light fixture on the top step before noticing that the phone was still ringing.

He climbed down from the ladder and reached for the phone. He propped it on his shoulder to free his hands while he went back up on the ladder.

“Hello?”

“Hey Max.” The familiar voice of his ex-wife made his eyes widen.

“Tess…why are you calling?” he asked half-startled, half-uninterested of as to why he was talking to Tess of all people.

“I wanted to tell you that…” there was silence on the other end. This unnerved Max. He knew that what happened between them was just a mistake. They were meant to be friends and nothing more. They agreed to stay friends but since the divorce, they couldn't help but feel awkward when they were around each other, even if it had been years.

“What do you want to say?” Max prompted her gently. He wanted the talk with her to end as fast as humanly possible. It was disorienting him. He was already tired and sweating from the hot weather and now he still had Tess to talk to, so he decided to put the light bulb on for the sake of doing something else, even if he was still listening to her.

Tess finally spoke, but what she said next surprised him. “I’m getting married.”

It took him a few minutes to fully recover from what she had just told him. “Really? To whom?” he asked while climbing down from the stepladder.

Tess noticed the impatience in his voice and decided to tell him what she really wanted to say. “Yes, I’m sure you’ve met him on one occasion. Kyle Valenti. The truth is, we’ve been engaged for a long time. I called to…invite you to our wedding.”

Max frowned upon hearing this. He really didn’t want to see Tess. It wasn’t that he was jealous or anything. It was just hard for him to talk to her like nothing had happened between them. They conversed in such a casual manner trying to avoid anything from their past that it was pretty convincing for others to think that they weren’t married or used to have intimacy at all.

“Congratulations,” he said trying to stall while simultaneously looking for an excuse for declining her invitation.

“Yes, I’m sorry for telling you when it’s already Friday. I thought of sending you the invitation but then, I’d rather tell you personally. I mean, we were you-know-what. And this is really important to me. I’d rather you heard it from me than a piece of paper.”

“But, I-…I can’t,” he stammered.

“Why not?” Tess asked, upset filling her voice.

Max was in a panic. He frantically searched his brain for a reason- any reason to get out of this situation.

He chose the first thing that popped into his head. “I have to be with my fiancée then. I’ve been so busy with work lately.”

“Wait,…you have a fiancée?” Tess asked in wonder.

“Well, yeah. You’re getting married and I will, too,” Max said confidently.

“That’s great,” Tess said. “So bring her along. It would be great to meet her.”

“I’m not sure about how she might feel about that. It could be uncomfortable for her to be around you, what with everything that happened,” Max reasoned, hoping to convince Tess to buy his excuse.

But sadly for him, Tess, being a smart woman, had something up her sleeve. “Yeah, you have a point there,” she said sounding defeated.

Max smiled thinking that he had already won.

“But is she an understanding woman?” she asked.

“Of course,” Max answered with ease. “Of course she is.”

“Is she smart?” Tess asked.

“Definitely,” he said with the same tone as the way he answered her question earlier. “One of the reasons I fell in love with her.”

“Does she ever question your fidelity to her?” Tess asked.

“No. Never,” Max said. He was wondering why Tess would ask such strange questions.

“Okay, then. If she’s as understanding as you say she is, she should have understood it when you explained to her, -if ever you did, that you were once married and where we currently stand. If she’s as smart as you say she is, then she probably thought ahead about what would happen when this day would come before she said ‘yes’ when you proposed to her. If she never questions your loyalty to her like you say, then she has nothing to worry about when we meet again,” Tess said wisely.

Max’s jaw fell at what she had just said. She outsmarted him. Tricked him into having no reason to refuse her.

Attempting for one last way to escape, he came up with, “I wouldn’t want to abuse her kindness.”

“We don’t want that to happen,” his ex-wife agreed. “But if she’s anything close to what you say she is, then like I said before, she would have nothing to worry herself about at all,” she countered.

“But,…” Max struggled but came up with nothing more.

“I know that you want to keep her from having doubts about your relationship, but isn’t this a good way to show her that there’s closure between us. That everything’s as it should be with us,” Tess said. Her voice had a reassuring quality to it. “You know I’m right, Max. Please just come and bring her along too. It’s the best way to end everything properly.”

There was nothing left to be said on Max’s side. He lost the argument. He knew that she was right. He couldn’t say no. If he did, he would sound insensitive.

“Alright Tess,” Max sighed. “What time and where?” he said while starting to unbotton his sweat drenched shirt.

Tess gave him the address of the church, but he froze over when she told him what time. Nine a.m. the next morning.

“Tomorrow?” Max asked with disbelief.

“Yes, tomorrow.”

“Tess, nine in the morning is a little early, isn’t it?” Max asked, annoyed.

“I’m really sorry for telling you on such short notice, but we wanted to have a lunch reception so that we could leave for the honeymoon in the afternoon.”

“Alright. I guess I’ll see you tomorrow,” he said, deflated of all his sense of calm.

“Okay, thank you so much, Max. We appreaciate it,” she said before hanging up.

Max smirked. Just perfect, now I have two things to worry about. One: I have to bring my non-existent fiancée. Two: I have to find her today, he thought.

Even worse, he couldn’t really get a female friend to do the favor for him because they all knew Tess. He’d be caught red handed with his deceit. But he couldn’t tell her the truth. He’d just end up making a fool out of himself. And he wouldn’t ever do that.

Out of frustration, Max did the only thing he could do at the moment. He walked over to the nearest wood-made wall and started pounding his fists into them.

tbc
Last edited by liz_maria on Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.
liz_maria
Addicted Roswellian

Post by liz_maria »

Chapter 2

Liz was in the middle of reading a very interesting book when she heard the noises coming from the wall. As soon as the thumping sound started, she set her book down on an armchair and listened to the noise.

The first assumption that came to mind upon getting a better listen to it was that it could be rodents. But Liz immediately dismissed the notion since the sound was way too loud for any kind of rodent to be making. Sitting up straighter, she sought out the area in which the racket was coming from. After much concentration, she deduced that the sound was from the wall in front of her. Then, it dawned on her: The wall in front, was the same wall that she shared with Max Evans.

Loser!, Liz thought. What could he be up to?

A large number of thoughts sprung to Liz's head and none of them were pleasant at all. To end such train of thought, Liz simply yelled as loud as she can. "Be quiet!"

For a few seconds, silence was granted. But after that, the thumping resumed. Liz scowled. He's doing this on purpose, growled the voice in her head. Give him a piece of your mind!

At that, Liz definitely agreed.

She stood up from the couch and took a robe to cover up her thin nightdress. Proceeding to her door, she opened it and pushed a stopper on the small space underneath so as not to lock herself out.

It took her only a few short strides to reach his door. The moment she stopped walking, she started rapping on the door loudly. Of course the thumping stopped, but she could hear a loud groan from the inside.

"What?" came Max's muffled voice from the inside.

"Its me!" Liz yelled.

She could hear a faint mumbling from the other end, before the door swung open revealing a very shirtless Max.

"Can you plea-" Liz trailed off. She blinked a few times at the sight before getting herself back together and talking again. "I-...uh,...Can you please keep it down?!" she said in a softer voice. But after assuming the reason behind him making those annoying noises on the wall, her expression hardened again. "Some people are trying to live their lives here. Besides, not everyone would want to hear how sexually active you are," Liz said making sure he heard the irritation in her voice.

"So-rry! And if it's any consolation to you, I'm not having sex!" Max snapped testily.

It was then that Max noticed how beautiful Liz looked, especially when she was seething. He looked at what she was wearing and grew silent. Liz happened to notice his scrutinizing gaze and glared at him.

“Whatever. I don’t give a damn what you do in there just as long as I don’t have to hear it,” she said tartly.

Max barely heard her words because he already had an idea forming in his head. Though he was weighing out the pros and cons of his plan, it seemed that this was a good idea without too many things that can possibly go wrong if he decided to go through with it.

But before he had a chance to even start to say anything, Liz had already spun around, walked back to her apartment and slammed the door, leaving him to stare after her.

(Tbc)
Last edited by liz_maria on Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
liz_maria
Addicted Roswellian

Post by liz_maria »

Thanks to everyone for the fbs! :D You guys are wonderful!

“From Loathe To Love”

Chapter 3

As the adrenaline rush of his wonderful idea surged through him, Max moved back into his apartment swiftly and grabbed a mop with a wooden handle from his hall closet. He walked over to the little balcony he and Liz almost shared (because the only divider they had was a thin rail in the middle). Then, he started poking the wooden handle on her glass doors.

~!~

Liz had taken off her robe and had plopped back down into the sofa when she heard the clinking sound of something tapping on glass. Figuring out that the balcony was the only place it could come from, she strutted over to it in time to see a wooden stick smacking against the glass. Sliding open the doors, she stepped out and gave Max an exasperated look.

Upon seeing her outfit -now more naked than before, Max took a step back and tried to clear his mind from a parade of sudden fantasies washing through him.

“Are you this determined to ruin my night?” Liz said with vexation. “I’ll have you know that your plan is working really well.”

Max set the mop away, glad that he had caught Liz’s attention.

“I want to ask for a favor,” he said.

At this, Liz raised her eyebrows. “You have some nerve, Max Evans, to harass me like this and then ask for a favor!”

“Please, Liz. Listen to me. It’s really important.”

“Okay, what do you want to say? Say it fast. I might get bored and just leave,” she waved a hand impatiently to emphasize her point. She wanted to hear what Max had to say, but she doubted that whatever it was was something she would help him with. –unless of course he could be asking her to sleep with him which was, in this case, something she would seriously consider, since-he-did-look-kind-of-sort-of-hot-at-the-moment, but maybe refuse in the end.

Max eagerly told her of the plan and what he wanted her to do for him. He told her about Tess and the call, the excuse he had used, and how much he needed someone to play the part for him the next day.

Upon hearing Max’s plea for her help, Liz started laughing. Max looked at her strangely, and after composing herself again, Liz stared at him with disgust. “Let me get this straight: You want me to be your fiancée tomorrow because you made this lame excuse to your ex-wife that you had someone to marry just because you were trying to get out of her inviting you to her wedding. But your perfect plan back-fired and because of your pride, you can’t tell her the truth and because all of your other female friends are already familiar to your ex,” she finished with a sneer. “Is that it?”

“That’s it,” Max said.

Liz shook her head. “Wow. Can I share some opinions?” she asked still staring at him.

Max nodded, not really caring what she had to say.

“First, I have to express my surprise to find out that you were married. Second, no wonder your wife left you. You’re a lying idiot who makes bad excuses. Third, I’d like to laugh at you coz’ your plan screwed-up pretty badly,” she said with a smirk.

“Are we here to start an opinion’s page of all your bad comments in a newspaper, or can you think about helping me out?” Max asked.

“I thought about it,” Liz said. “And my answer is…No.” She gave him a small smile before turning around and starting back into towards the glass doors.

Max felt all his hope melt away. He hurriedly called after Liz in desperation, “Liz! Wait!…” He thought for a while before saying, “I’ll do whatever you want.”

At this, Liz stepped back out with a look of interest on her face. “Did you say whatever I want?” she asked emphasizing the three words clearly.

Max nodded, again underestimating a woman for the second time that evening.

“Okay, now you’re talking,” Liz said, her mood abruptly changing from annoyed to cheery in the blink of an eye. She walked closer to the divider that stood between the two of them and said expectantly: “I’ll do the job for a small price: You gotta move out of this place a three weeks to a month after the wedding. There are lots of other available apartments out there. I think it won’t be much of trouble for you.”

“Are you serious?” Max asked, shocked at such a bold request for him to leave his home.

“Serious as you are about taking me to this wedding," she replied flatly.

At that point, Max was already too frantic to say ‘no’, so he only nodded in agreement. At first, Liz was surprised that he’d given in to her demands without much argument. But she quickly recovered and held up a hand to say ‘wait’. She went back to her apartment and stepped out again a few minutes later, bringing a piece of paper and pen with her. She gave it to Max. “Read that,” she said.

After scanning the page, he looked back at Liz. “You wrote this contract?” he asked, curious.

“Yeah, I did,” she answered honestly. “What about it? Did I misspell something?”

“No. Everything’s crystal clear here. It’s just funny, you don’t look like a lawyer,” he said.

“That’s because I’m not,” Liz said. “My father’s a lawyer. I’ve seen enough of his work to know what to do on some occasions. I used to read his huge collection of law books because I found them interesting,” she explained.

Max nodded in understanding and took the pen from her. He signed it and gave the paper back to her.

Liz smiled at him. “Glad to be doing business with you.”

Max smiled back. “Thank you,” he said. After which, he gave her the time of when they should leave for the wedding.

“See you tomorrow then,” Liz said. Max nodded and both went back into their respective apartments.

~!~

When Liz got back into her place, she headed straight to the bathroom to prepare for bed. It was after she was done with her preparations and she took a look at herself in the mirror that she noticed that she had went out to the balcony wearing only her really thin nightdress.

She thought back in horror and realized that that was the reason why Max took a step back when he saw her. She had just shrugged it off as him being intimidated by the anger she had directed to him.

I was being perverted and I didn’t even notice… she though. Damn!

Oh well, her own perverted inner voice said. You can call yourselves even. You got to see him shirtless, and he got to see you bra-less.

Tbc
Last edited by liz_maria on Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:18 am, edited 3 times in total.
liz_maria
Addicted Roswellian

Post by liz_maria »

A/N: Thanks for the fbs everyone! I’m kinda’ in a hurry now. Got a friend’s wedding to attend in a few hours so I’m dropping this off. I’ll be back soon. :wink:

“From Loathe To Love”

Chapter 4
The Next Morning

Done, Liz thought looking at her reflection on the mirror in the hall. Just one more thing. She walked over to the small dining table where she placed her phone and dialed Maria’s number.

“Hello?” Maria was obviously sleeping on account of her small croak when she picked up.

“Ria!” Liz greeted happily.

“Liz, do you have a sleeping problem or something? Why are you calling this early?”

“I know but I have something to tell you,” Liz insisted.

“Can’t it wait until later in the day? I didn’t really get much sleep last night coz’-”

Liz interrupted her. “You don’t have to tell what you did last night.”

“Whatever it is, tell me now so I can go back to sleep,” Maria moaned.

“Alright. Remember that guy I hated so much?” Liz started.

“Yeah, how can I forget? You wouldn’t stop talking about his premeditated untimely demise.”

“Last night, he made a deal with me. It’s a real long story but it turns out that he used to be married,” Liz narrated.

“No way!” came Maria’s protest.

“Yes way. And yesterday, his ex-wife fooled him into agreeing to go to her wedding. –which will happen in a few hours from now. Anyways, he made this excuse about not wanting to go to the wedding because of his fiancée and his wife outsmarted him into having to choice but to bring along his ‘imaginary’ fiancée to her big day.”

“What does this have to do with you?” asked Maria curiously.

“He asked me since he couldn’t find anyone else,” Liz revealed.

Their was silence on the other end, then came a loud bout of giggles. “Really?”

“Yes, and I don’t like the way you’re laughing. There’s one condition though…he has to leave the apartment after the wedding.”

“What?” Maria practically screamed in disbelief. “Why would you do that? That’s so selfish of you!”

“He said he’d do anything. And that’s what I came up with,” Liz said simply.

“Liz, would you be bad enough to drive someone out of their own home?” Maria reasoned worriedly.

“You know how the guy has been harassing me,” she explained indignantly.

“Oh well,” Maria sighed. “Things can change, so don’t hold on too tight to any of your beliefs just yet.”

“Hey! I-” but before Liz could finish her sentence, there was a knock on her door.

“Oh, we’re leaving. I’ll call you.” Liz said in a hurry and hung up, not even waiting for Maria’s reply.

She took her purse and went to get the door.

~!~

Max stood in front of Liz’s door. He started knocking and at that moment, the door swung open. –Revealing Liz in a champagne-colored halter dress that went just below the knees and was sprinkled in areas with gold sequins. To match her dress, she had a purse and shoes the same color as her dress.

It was his first time to see Liz in a formal dress, and it surprised him beyond belief.

“Y-you ready?” he nearly stammered. Liz gave him the go signal and they started walking to the lobby.

“So, since I get to be your fiancée for a day, can you tell me more of the need-to-know about your ex?” Liz asked as they got into Max’s expensive car.

Max nodded. “What can I say? With Tess- it was wrong right from the beginning. To make a long story short, it lasted for less than a year before we figured out that it just wouldn’t work out in the long run. It was the next best thing but not the answer to anything at all.”

Even though Liz was a mere listener to his short but informative tale, she understood what he meant with utmost clarity.

He started to drive.

“Anything more I need to know about her? Like beliefs or something, so that I can get on her good side,” Liz said. “- I mean if you want me to get on her good side,” she added hastily.

“One thing is, she’s a person who’s big on feminism,” Max said thoughtfully.

“Then we have one thing in common,” Liz muttered.

“Why?” Max asked the question smiling.

Liz looked at him, confused. “What do you mean ‘why’?”

“Why do you have to think like you can do everything yourself? –that’s the reason, right? Or maybe you’re just a man-hater.” Max smirked. How ironic. He actually felt a tinge of disappointment at the thought, but just brushed it off.

Liz felt anger and guilt erupt through her. Maybe it was true. After what had happened, that was probably the reason why.

Max looking worriedly at her snapped her out of her dark reveries. “You okay? Why are you looking at me like that?”

Liz realized that she had a stony glare in her eyes and it happened to be focused on Max. She shook her head to erase such thoughts and looked out the window. Noticing a little breakfast diner they happened to pass by, she brightened instantly.

“Did you eat any breakfast yet?” she asked, remembering her rumbling stomach.

“Uh-no.” Max answered looking at her. He noticed the look of pleading on her face. –Then he remembered that he too was hungry.

“Do we have a little time to spare?” Liz queried.

Max looked at his watch and smiled. “I guess we can balance our time if we eat real fast and double our speed,” he suggested.

“Okay with me,” Liz said unconsciously placing a hand atop her stomach.

Max did a little U-turn and parked in front of the diner.

(tbc)
Last edited by liz_maria on Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
liz_maria
Addicted Roswellian

Post by liz_maria »

A/N: Thank yous to all the fbs and questions and stuff! :D

kittens: Hi! I did notice that 3 days are way to short, so I've re-written/corrected some stuff and took note of that. Thanks for telling me. :)

“From Loathe To Love”

Chapter 5

They got out of the car and half ran into the establishment named ‘Tibbie’s. They rushed to a nearby table, not really noticing (or even bothering to notice) the strange stares they were getting from the patrons.

After the waitress took their order, a little of Liz’s excited restlessness began to wear off. She got her coffee-filled mug from the table and took a few soothing sips.

“Since we’re on the issue of getting to know more stuff about each other, I have to ask you this,” Max said, waiting for Liz’s permission before he was to proceed.

Liz nodded as she set down her mug.

“Why do you hate me so much?” he asked with sincere interest.

Liz frowned. She thought for a while before saying, “Why do we have to talk about this?”

Max shrugged.

“I mean, I thought we settled everything about this yesterday?” Liz reasoned, confused.

“No. Yesterday has nothing to do with this,” he protested smartly. “Yesterday, we talked about how I’m going to have to move in a after the wedding. Your reason for hating me wasn't discussed,” he explained.

He’s gonna leave anyway, Liz thought.

“Alright, if you really, really madly want to know,” she said rolling her eyes and mock-sighing. “I don’t hate you. No, -not at all. I just dislike your personality, your you-ness."

He raised an eyebrow. “My me-ness?”

“You know what I mean,” Liz argued indignantly.

“No, I don’t know,” Max said, challenging her.

The waitress was back with their food. They thanked the lady, and when she went off, Liz continued contemplating her answer.

“I’m sorry I have to say this to your face, but since you insist, I don't think you're the monogamous type and you’re just too… proud,” Liz said nonchalantly. She was trying to mask her embarrassment over the situation.

“The ‘not monogamous’ part would probably be from my feeble attempt at dating –that’s understandable. But proud? How could you say that?” Max asked, baffled.

“That’s just how I see you. That’s just how you are,” Liz said remembering most of their unpleasant encounters.

“How could you say that this is the way I am? Do you have proof?” he questioned.

“Not rea-”

“See? How can you tell me that you know what I’m like if you’ve got nothing to prove it?””

“Okay, okay. I got it.”

“But since you’re already thinking it, tell me how I could be like that,” Max pressed.

“It’s just the way I see you. I get the vibe of you being a woman-crazy person,” Liz said.

“I get it,” Max declared brightly.

“What?” Liz asked.

“You’re the only person I’ve ever known who thinks of me that way. It must mean it’s not me. You must’ve gone through some kind of situation where you were traumatized by some guy!” he said in realization.

Liz glared at him. “No it’s not.”

“Yes it is.”

“No, it is not,” she said through gritted teeth.

“I know it is. And now, it’s your turn to tell me your story,” Max pushed.

“I don’t have to.”

“That would be unfair. I’d have answered all your questions. Besides, I’ll eventually wheedle it out of you anyways.”

“No you can’t, because it’s personal.”

“Yes I can.”

“I’ll never tell you.”

“Tell me.”

“No.”

“Tell me.”

And this went on for a few minutes until Liz finally gave up from annoyance. She held up a hand to stop Max from saying another ‘Tell me.’

She slowly took a sip of her coffee and said “Well, I was almost married once.”

(tbc)
Last edited by liz_maria on Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
liz_maria
Addicted Roswellian

Post by liz_maria »

A/N: Here for some fb replies and a new part.. :wink:

MilesToGo99: About your earlier query,
Did Liz's little unconcious action of bringing her hand to her stomach have anything to do with what happened to her
The hand-to-the-stomach thing was basically out of hunger :) But the next part will clear more details about her past. Thanks. :D

Sali103, Strawberry88, roswellluver, jason’s lover: Sorry for the update taking so long. I had so many things to do for the last months. Gosh...(sigh) :( But thanks for the fbs! You'll finally be able to find out what happens next in the diner. :D

frenchkiss70: It was all about bad impressions made. The guy and their story will be elaborated in this part. Thanks. :wink:

g7silvers: Max can be a pretty good shrink. :D hehe, he'll get more dirt on her past in this part. Thanks. :)

“From Loathe To Love”

Chapter 6

“Well, I was almost married once.”

Max stared at Liz, semi- open-mouthed and filled with pancakes. He was shocked by Liz’s simple reaction towards something as serious as almost getting married.

“Almost? You mean almost but not quite. What happened and how could you be so cool about it?” he asked, finding the new enigmatic Liz quite intriguing.

“It was nothing.” Liz tried to close the topic.

“No. Don’t try getting out of this one. You’ve already started and it would be foolish if you stopped.” Max said, seeing right through her act.

“Okay.” Liz said giving up all hopes of keeping mum on the subject.

“It really did happen a long time ago.” Liz started. “Way back in high school…”

She watched Max’s expression as he listened closely to her every word.

“I had a boyfriend. –I won’t even bother saying his name and I hope to keep it that way. He was kind of a bad ass, but he was okay. Only problem was that my parents hated him.” she continued. “But of course, I was young, and I didn’t see it. So I defied my parents until they gave up on trying to keep us apart.” Liz took a pause for a coffee refill, letting a passing waitress take her empty plate.

“Then what happened?” Max asked.

“The night before the day of our graduation, he proposed.” Liz said. “-and me being who I was then, I said yes.”

“How did your parents take to it?” Max questioned.

“They were horrified!” Liz said. “They thought that it wasn’t serious, but when we told them, they totally freaked out.”

“What happened next?” Max interrupted.

“For my sake, my parents went to the place where the guy lived. I didn’t know that they did though. They talk to the guy and his bum of a father and asked about what he really wanted from me. They managed to get the truth out somehow. That he only wanted me for what he knew that my parents would be giving us, if I begged them.”

Max was giving her a look of shock. “What a bad person.” He commented.

“So they decided to end it before anything else started happening. They gave him what he wanted. Money. And he gamely took it, saying that he was planning on going for another girl anyway.”

“It must’ve been hard for you, finding out that your parents were right all along.” Max said.

They gestured for a waitress to bring them their check.

“Yeah, it was.” Liz agreed. “But it happened to me in such a weird way. I guess my parents wanted me to learn my lesson in a way that I’ll never forget.” She said. “They waited until the night before the wedding.” She revealed. “I haven’t seen him for a while. -That was since my parents gave him the money. I thought that he was just busy with some wedding plans like I was, so I didn’t mind coz’ we didn’t get to go into contact with each other much since he left most of the things-to-do list with me. And you know what my parents actually did?” Liz asked.

“No.” Max answered in suspense.

“They actually talked to the guy and his dad, wired.” Liz explained.

“No way!” Max said in disbelief. To which Liz said: “They really did that.”

They paused when a waitress came and brought their bill. Both Max and Liz started going for their wallet and purse respectively. Seeing Liz take out some money from her purse, Max held up a hand to stop her. “I got this.” He said. Liz shut her purse without argument and decided to go on with her story.

“So there I was, panicking with some last minute details when I saw a tape recorder on my desk. I thought that it was a message or something from my friends- y’know, a few words of wisdom before I tie the knot. I listened to it, and… you can say that the wedding was cancelled permanently.” Liz finished.

They gathered their things and started headed to the car. Liz noticed Max not commenting on the ending of her story. “Why are you so quiet?” she asked as the car pulled back into traffic.

“You got to escape a wedding that was doomed from the start. I, on the other hand, had to go through the ceremony, the experience of living with the person, and the divorce.” He said thoughtfully.

Liz rolled her eyes. “Are you going to be that way on the wedding? All sulky and stuff? Please don’t.” she said half seriously. “You’ll embarrass me.”

They started laughing.

(tbc)
Last edited by liz_maria on Wed Nov 03, 2004 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
liz_maria
Addicted Roswellian

Post by liz_maria »

“From Loathe To Love”

Chapter 7

They got out of the car with much time consciousness and hurried into the church.

They saw that there was people scattered around the place. The wedding planners were still busy arranging the guests and the entourage in their respective cues. And they were glad that they weren’t late.

When Max and Liz came in, a lot of curious eyes were staring at the two of them. The question: What was the bride’s ex-husband doing there?, hung in the air. Some knew about Max’s relationship with Tess, so they understood. But some didn’t. And Max suspected that there would be lots of questions that had to be answered later.

Luckily, the embarrassing scrutiny came to a stop when they were quickly ushered into a pew by one of the oblivious wedding planners.

Liz looked at the inside of the church, with its lavish setting. The red-carpeted middle floor had been sprinkled with petals. And there were baskets of blue and pink flowers decorating every other pew. The wedding was themed with pastel colors.

Both Max and Liz turned their heads to the front to see the groom standing there. Kyle Valenti was in his mid-twenties (same age group as theirs), good looking, and was [-at the moment] beaming at all the guests.

“Tess sure knows how to make a well-prepared wedding day,” Liz commented. “Everything’s perfect.”

“Lot’s of practice?” Max suggested, and Liz chuckled.

A few moments later, a soft hymn started playing in the background, which signaled the start of the ceremony.

The congregation fell into silence.

All heads turned to the back, to see the entourage, (women in their soft blue gowns accompanied by their partners) slowly walking towards their cued areas.

When they were all settled, the guests held their breath for a moment. It was time for Tess to walk down the aisle.

The heavy antique wooden doors were opened to reveal Tess and her father. They walked together (for the second time in Tess’ life). Tess was wearing an off-the-shoulder wedding gown with flower embroidery, her huge diamond engagement ring that glittered as she walked, boasted of Kyle’s wealth.

A priest met the couple at the end of Tess’ walk.

“Dearly Beloved… we are gathered here today to…” The priest proceeded into marrying the perfect couple.

~!~

Liz watched the exchanging of vows, and couldn’t help but shed a few tears. Max felt sad for her, and he smiled at her. “What does the frustrated bride have say about this wedding?”, he joked. Liz laughed softly, in spite of herself. “Quiet.” She hissed and continued listening to the things that were going on.

Then came the exchanging of the rings. Like Tess’ engagement ring, the wedding bands were exquisite.

Liz had a thought, and turned to Max. “What did you do with the rings?” she asked, out of curiosity.

“I don’t know if she still has hers.” He replied. “But I gave mine to Isabel, my sister. I told her to take care of it. I don’t now where it is.” He shrugged.

Liz looked at him with a question in her eyes. And Max read her perfectly clear. Why didn’t he just throw it out?

“It wasn’t a bad marriage,” he explained. “But I wanted to start out fresh, after the divorce. But I didn’t want to forget the past either. So I gave the ring to my sister for safe keeping, just to know that it’s still there somehow. And also to remind me not to make the same mistake again.”

Liz understood well the importance of not committing the same mistake, -especially in marriage. She nodded quietly, some thoughts that never crossed her mind in years, coming back like they were never forgotten.

~!~

The wedding was finally over. And Liz couldn’t be any happier. It was driving her crazy, -the sweet as sugar kisses and smiles. She wasn’t the type of woman who became bitter over a failed relationship, but it was just that she felt scared for these people. Scared that they might have fallen into the trap of an uncertain decision. It was something that could traumatize them for the rest of their fretful lives.

She almost dragged Max out of the church; if it were not for the other guests who were stopping them for a small exchange every other second.

They were so caught up with introducing Liz so carefully, that they didn’t notice Kyle and Tess walk up behind them. The sight of Tess nearly made Max jump when he saw her. There was no such thing as a clean getaway with Tess Harding (,or Harding-Valenti) around.

“Hi!” Max greeted them nervously. Liz could see the cold sweat. He shook hands with Kyle and said his share of congratulations. They, in turn, greeted the pretend couple with much excitement.

“Oh, gosh. I can’t wait to talk to you guys later!” Tess squealed. The smile froze on Liz’s face. Joy, she thought, annoyed. “Okay, we’ll see you there.” She said. This surprised Max a little since he didn’t think that Liz would answer Tess with no argument at all.

“Y’all know where that is?” Kyle asked. The two of them nodded. “You go talk to your other guests, now.” Max said. They said a small goodbye and rushed back out of the Church before any other guests could have the chance to come up to them.

When they finally got inside the car, Liz looked at Max expectantly. “Do we have to go?” she asked, desperately trying to talk him out of attending, “Liz,” Max started. “This is part of the deal. We have to go.” “But you don’t even want to go.” Liz argued. “We don’t want to, but we have to.” Max explained with the limit of his patience. Liz sighed. “What the hell did I get myself into?!” she asked in exasperation.

“Aaaww, come on.” Max said trying to lighten the mood. “Don’t you just enjoy being in the company of a man as hot as I am?”

Yuck!,” Liz exclaimed. “You sound arrogant and absurd.” She said.

And they cracked up.

(tbc)
Last edited by liz_maria on Wed Nov 03, 2004 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
liz_maria
Addicted Roswellian

Post by liz_maria »

A/N: Thank you to everyone for waiting for this one! :D I have been so tired for the whole month, I'm thankful for the break that I might get to rest and write. Though having a little part-time job this Christmas makes my eyes go: :shock: , followed by a reaction similar to :cry: but I guess now more than ever is the time to practice my balancing skills. :wink:

From Loathe To Love Part 8

They had one hour to kill. This was because Max wanted to avoid the interrogation that would await them from the guests who didn’t, yet, get the chance to bother them from earlier in the church. Coming early would mean that they would be questioned for a longer period of time.

They drove down the stretch of wide road, and Liz looked out the window. It was a pretty sight outside, that time of day. The radio was on, and Stereophonics’ Have a Nice Day was playing. And as Liz listened to the lyrics of the song, she had a little smile on her face. Okay, she had to admit it, Max was a little more different than what she’d expected. He was actually affable! And the day wasn’t so bad, -save for all the awkwardness. Unbeknownst to Liz, on the other side of the car, Max was smiling too. Having a “partner” in crime wasn’t as horrible as he assumed it.

As they sped on, Max was surprised to see Liz suddenly tap on the window. He gave her a curious look. She was pointing to a store they had just passed, and he noticed that she was giving him a kind-of-pleading look. Stealing a quick glance at his watch and figuring that they had an hour’s worth of free time, he shrugged and drove to the direction of the store.

As they got closer, Max noticed that the store was one that sold antiques and chocolates. He looked at Liz’s happy figure. He couldn’t really point out if she was an antique person or a chocolate person. But she seemed to be neither, since her living space looked pretty modern to him, -not that he had ever gotten a chance to have a look around inside, but he noticed it that morning when Liz opened the door. And the chocolates, he reckoned, was probably out of the picture, since Liz had the kind of body that looked well trimmed and maintained to a level of dietary perfection.

~!~

Max, at the moment, sincerely believed that he was the world’s worst guesser. With all the earlier assumptions that he’d made about Liz’s relationship with antiques and chocolates, he realized that he was so completely wrong about what he had thought.

As soon as they had entered the little shop, he realized his mistake:

His first guess was that Liz wasn’t the type to have antique furniture in her home, and -technically, he was right. She didn’t care much for the furniture, but she was obsessed with the jewelry and other accessories. Liz well pointed that out to him, when he mentioned that she didn’t look like much of an ‘antique’ person.

He watched, -with great interest, Liz walking about the antique section with glee. He could hear faint oohs and ahhs coming from her as he wordlessly followed her around, just like a faithful pet. This amusement coming from himself, he found odd, since he never had much fun in places that sold old things. Even when his ex-wife used to take him there, -back when they were still joined together in matrimony by an authorized sheet of paper containing several signatures. But Liz’s little-girl-like expression to the things there altered the mood, so that he didn’t feel so bored.

He watched Liz fall in love with an old pair of pearl earrings that looked to be, -more or less, fifty years old. It was crafted in a way that said that it was anything but subtle, back in its time, -back when diamonds were worn in sheets that resembled ice cut rather thinly or icebergs, even. The pearls were white and medium sized, its diameter suitable for any kind of person to wear it. And the setting was spectacular. The, obviously, handcrafted setting was carved or maybe molded into tiny twinkling stars that looked as if the pearls were small replicas of the moon. The earrings itself was already a sight. But as he suddenly imagined Liz wearing it, he knew that she was the last piece that would complete the eye-catching set.

Liz seemed to think so too, -until she got a look at the price tag. She groaned aloud, and strode away briskly, muttering about the anti-depressant properties that chocolate had. And not daring to look back at the tempting pearls resting on velvet covered tabletop.

As she sulked off to the other side of the room where the chocolates were sold, Max got a better glance at the pearls and their price tag. Of course, something as breathtaking as that would definitely cost good money. He guessed that a movie star might have owned it in the past, but seriously hoped that that movie star was someone the likes of Grace Kelly or Audrey Hepburn. That would have made the price a bit easier to stomach.

After a few more seconds of thinking about who the possible owner of the pearls might have been, Max walked over to Liz who was looking at the displays of many kinds of chocolate. She was quite fickle about her choices at first, but later settled for a little bit of this and that. She told him that they’d eat it together. Her treat, -since he had already paid for their breakfast.

As they sat on a table in the corner, Max realized his second mistake: The shop was, by all means, perfect for Liz, because aside from her love for old jewelry, she also had a place in her heart for some kinds of sweets, -chocolates being the one on the top spot. To her, it did not matter that all that cocoa-goodness would be likely to head straight to her ass or to her face (in the form of a breakout). She stated that she would be able to work off the extra pounds later, -she loved to run anyway. But for her, chocolate was not something you could take out of her diet. That was a fact.

So they ate, and chatted while commenting on the chocolate and discussing which one they preferred.

“…dark is good.” Liz was saying. “Mystery. There’s mystery hiding under all that dark brown richness.”

“But then, there’s white.” Max argued. “White is bare. It is honest in all its creaminess.”

Liz smiled. “Wouldn’t want to be left too naked, would you?” she challenged. To which, Max blushed.

“But you wouldn’t want to be trapped in all that bitterness?” he returned. Liz was embarrassed.

“I think that life should have a fair amount of emotions. And yes, bitterness being one of them.” Liz shot back.

“But there should be honesty too, right? Purity is an essential.”

“Yes it is. But why would you want to be all too pure? Are you saying that white means perfection? –lack of mistake?”

“No. Not that-”

“I mean dark! Bitter, yet amazingly sweet, and lethally tantalizing. It has an edge, doesn’t it? A dangerous one…” Liz interjected in a rather suggestive tone. She noticed that the demeanor of the conversation could be sliding into different grounds, so she tried to cover it up. -but now after blushing into a grape color.

Max noticed this, but at that point, he wasn’t really sure what they were really talking about. “You see, not all things white are angelic.” He went on anyway.

Ha! There goes your point! You were all about proving that white was all nice and clean…You just told me that it wasn’t so angelic. There you go!” Liz said, raising an eyebrow.

Max looked defeated. He had obviously lost his case and thought to himself that the world was darn lucky that he didn’t pick a profession as a lawyer, because many would have suffered. Liz, on the other hand, was good at what she was doing. First there was the contract, now she had won her case. -a very small case, but a case nevertheless. She was, -he guessed, a chip off the old block, which led him to say, “You would’ve been a great lawyer.”

Liz gave him a look that said that she was happy with her occupation. “It was interesting. –yes it was. But that wasn’t what I’d intended for myself. That wasn’t what I wanted to immerse myself in.” she said honestly.

At the moment, a lady from out of nowhere went by their table and made a show of cleaning the place up. She was quite a plump woman, aging, and with gray hair and violet eyes. She smiled at the two of them, wrinkles appearing on her pale skin.

“In my opinion, marbled chocolate. Now that beats the two.” Max and Liz stared at her in silent surprise. The lady hadn’t been there when they were talking, yet she seemed to know all about their conversation.

The woman blushed furiously. “I’m sorry. Awfully rude of me to come in like that, and talk as if a proper introduction was not made.” She held out her hand first to Liz, who was the closest to where she stood. “I am Julianne Jonn, and I am the owner of this little shop.” Liz shook her hand, then Max. And they complimented her on the setting of her shop. “The shop, it’s an heirloom.” She laughed. “It’s now one of those places that you furnish to look old…No, everything here is naturally vintage.” She said.

Julianne Jonn proceeded on to telling them about the brief history of the shop. It was actually from her late husband’s side of the family. It was supposed to be run by their women, but, since her husband’s generation back then was all from the male gender, and her husband, -Mr. Jonn, was the eldest of the brothers, the store was passed on to his ownership. When he married Julianne, he thought it better to have her run the place, because he believed that Julianne would have done a better job. And she did.

When Mr. Jonn died, -Mrs. Jonn said that he was an architect that was killed in an accident at a worksite. “He died after one last embrace from me.” She said. “But I guess, it’s better for him to go with me as the last person he had embraced, rather than another woman.” She joked, but they noticed how the memory still brought tears to her eyes. she was left with no children, but decided to run the store by her self.

“So, where was I before my autobiography.” Said Mrs. Jonn enthusiastically. “Ah, right. Marbled Chocolate. Well, I like that best because it leaves no arguments. It is perfectly balanced. The white and the dark, the swirls and light ripple. Everything is divided equally. If one side is rather different, then the other side will somehow compliment it. A beautiful site, and lovelier to taste.” She sighed happily.

The two agreed with Mrs. Jonn. The old lady was flattered.

“Are the two of you engaged?” she asked them knowingly. “No, we’re not.” They both answered quickly. Mrs. Jonn’s eyebrows rose. “Really?” she asked, looking suspicious. “No,” Max replied. “But we get that a lot.” Mrs. Jonn looked unconvinced, but she didn’t pursue the subject further.

Out of curiosity, Liz asked about the much-coveted pair of earrings. “Can you tell us about the stunning pair of pearl earrings over there?” she pointed into the table that carried the earrings.

Mrs. Jonn’s violet eyes twinkled brightly at the mention of the earrings. “That pair. It is, indeed, very special. And it has a story behind it. -a beautiful story. But, alas, I sense that you will not be able to hear this story at the moment…No, not right now.” She said.

Liz frowned. “Why not?”

“You have forgotten,” Mrs. Jonn noted. “-that you are only supposed to be here for an hour, and one hour, only.”

Max and Liz suddenly remembered the reception that they were supposed to be going to. They would be late, if they would stay longer.

“Right!” Max exclaimed as he stood up, his chair was almost knocked over. “Damn.”

Liz looked longingly from Mrs. Jonn to the earrings. “Oh, we have to go, Mrs. Jonn. Sorry to cut this meeting so short.” She said, her eyes still on the earrings.

Mrs. Jonn nodded. “Yes, of course you must go.”

They started walking to the shop’s door, Mrs. Jonn following them out. As Liz got to the old wooden doors and pulled them open, Mrs. Jonn pulled Max back by the arm. “You go on dear, I’ll just have a word with this young man.” She ordered Liz, who readily walked to the car.

Mrs. Jonn turned her attention to Max, who stood there wondering what the lady would say to him.

“Mr. Evans, I sense something very strong here.” She started. “I can feel something emanating from the two of you. It is amazing and light…very natural. Beautiful…a balance.” She said in an amazed whisper. “And I have a feeling,” she continued. “that even if you cannot stay for long today,…you will be back.” She muttered and turned Max to the direction of the pearl earrings. “Because I sense that, -after such a long time of waiting, that precious pair of earrings will finally have an owner that is meant for it. And this will happen soon.” She concluded with a bright and satisfied smile.

Max stared at her in awe. “Really?” he gulped.

“All this, will be as it should be.” She said. “And I really have a strong and persisting feeling that you will be back soon.”

“Now, don’t ask any more questions Mr. Evans. Destiny will assume its place once more…The lovely Ms. Parker is waiting.” She said ushering a baffled Max out the door and into the direction of his car.

~!~

When Max got back behind the wheel, Liz looked at him curiously. “What’d she tell you?” she asked.

“I’m not sure.” Max replied nonchalantly and started the car.

(TBC)
liz_maria
Addicted Roswellian

Post by liz_maria »

From Loathe To Love Part 9

The reception hall was lovely. The same color flowers from the church were displayed around the area, and on the tables as pretty centerpieces. There were drapes of pink, blue, and white cloth that were tacked to the ceiling, hanging low onto the room. The newlywed’s table was on a small stage that had the similar design of the rest of the room, only they had a square table, instead of the round tables that the rest of the guests were provided with. In front was a dance floor that was cleared for the occasion. There was a light kind of music that was playing in the room, transmitted by speakers that were artfully hidden at strategic places.

Max, who was sitting beside Liz at one of the round tables, stared at his food nervously. He didn’t have much appetite to eat just then. –Mrs. Jonn’s words were recurring in his mind, yet he did not know what half of what she said meant. He was pondering it at the moment. However, he was forced to snap out of it, when he saw several of his old friends approaching them.

He quickly nudged Liz, and silently gestured to his friends. Liz got the message instantly, and he noticed her straighten up a bit in her seat, apparently apprehensive. She was tensing up and getting ready, and so was he.

There were five of them, all in their mid-20’s. And were quickly introduced to Liz by Max. They were all married couples, -except for the fifth person. She was a woman who was also married, but her husband was unable to make the wedding that day. And upon hearing about Liz’s pretend position in Max’s life, they all suddenly became more interested with the two. They were asked tremendous amounts of questions.

“How did you meet?” was the first question. Veronica Lloyd, wife to Justin Lloyd, asked it. It was a problem for both Max and Liz that they did not really get to decide on the story that they were going to use. The fake-couple looked at each other for an answer, and Max turned to Veronica immediately, -so as not to arouse suspicion, and answered, “We met at a convenience store.” Liz was quick to catch on. She added, “And we both wanted coffee that night, -but so did a lot of people. And you know how those long and boring lines can get.” Everyone at the table was listening intently. She continued, “He happened to be behind me on that line, so we made small talk,-” “-which turned into a bigger conversation,” Max finished for her with a flourish.

“Haven’t I seen you before?” asked Vivienne Barnett, wife of Dave Barnett. She looked like she was trying to remember something. And then said, “I think I saw you once at a building.” Max laughed, trying to mask his surprise at the recognition. “We’re actually neighbors,” he said. “But we didn’t really talk much, until that night at the store.” Vivienne was convinced. “Right. I might’ve remembered passing you on the hall once, when we went to visit Max.” she said.

“So when did you get engaged?” asked Justin. “Two weeks after we met,” said Max seriously. Everyone at the table, including Liz, looked at him incredulously. Then, she kicked him, hard, under the table. Max cleared his throat, trying to cover the ‘Ow!’ that would’ve escaped from the impact of Liz’s three-and-a-half inches of stiletto that had just hit his lower leg. “Kidding!” he exclaimed, feigning a laugh through the sharp pain that Liz’s shoe left. “Three months after we met. We really got to spend lots of time together. –Us being neighbors and all.” He was expecting Liz to kick him again for saying ‘three months’ instead of a romantic ‘almost one year’ of dating, but was gravely relieved, when no kick followed after. Everyone else at the table laughed at the ‘two weeks after…’ joke, so the two of them joined along.

More inevitable questions followed soon after, throughout the course of their meal. “Liz, you’re not wearing your engagement ring,” noted Eileen Wilkes, whose husband was not present, due to a prolonged business meeting abroad that made him miss his flight back home. Liz smiled and said, “I don’t have one yet.” She glanced at Max in what she hoped was an affectionate manner, and continued, “He wants me to pick something out, as soon as possible. But I’m just so fickle!” she answered, much to the other ladies’ delight.

“I know!” Veronica gushed. “It has to be perfect, right?”

“It just has to be!” followed Eileen. “Those things take time to decide on.”

“What kind of ring do you have in mind?” asked Vivienne.

Liz’s smile grew wider. “Well, I was thinking of a diamond with a princess cut. Platinum on the band, and a line of tiny diamonds on the sides would be great!” She turned to Max. “How about that, sweetie?” she cooed. Max smiled back and answered, “Anything you want, darling.” The rest of the table of friends made a bunch of Awwws…

Sooo romantic!” sighed Vivienne. Her husband raised an eyebrow at her. “You too, Dave,” she whispered, when she noticed the look he had just shot her.

“When’s the big date?” asked Dave. “We haven’t settled on anything yet,” replied Max. “Yeah, we’re just enjoying being ‘engaged’ now,” agreed Liz. “But we’re still planning the wedding.”

“What theme are you on?” asked Veronica. Liz made a few improvisations on a wedding she had seen on TV, and liked. “We’re thinking, sometime in the summer or spring. Then, the colors we want should be blue and green, respectively. We haven’t settled on any venues yet. But we’re working on the main concepts that we’d like to have.”

They had stopped conversation after Liz’s answer, for Tess had gone over to their table and had plopped down on an empty seat beside Liz. “Hey!” she said to everyone at the table, smiling. Everyone said ‘hi’ back, and congratulated her, yet again for her wedding.

“Kyle’s over there, talking to his friends,” she pointed to her husband who was somewhere on the other side of the room. “Just wanted to let you guys know that we’re leaving in fifteen minutes. –We can’t afford to miss our flight. But the party’s not over yet. My cousin, Danielle’s gonna’ organize the after party here. You simply must stay,” she said. Everyone at the table agreed to stay for just a teensy bit longer.

“Good!” said Tess. Then she left the table with a ‘See ya’!’ to talk to the other guests.

Liz had excused herself to visit the comfort rooms. And Max was left to talk to his friends about other things. They were both a little more comfortable, since they had already answered the major questions about each other.

While making a few retouches on her make-up, she was surprised to see Tess enter the room. She took one look at Liz, and broke out into a happy smile. “I’m so happy for you and Max!” she exclaimed as she grabbed Liz into a hug. “Thank you,” said Liz, not really knowing what else there was to be said in return.

“You know, I’m so glad that you two are getting married!” she said cheerily. “I mean, after that separation. Gosh! I’m just glad that we could both move on…-oh, am I pushing my luck?” Tess said, looking at Liz worriedly. She had wanted to express just how satisfied she was, but some women weren’t all that understanding to the extent of letting her jabber on about her ex-husband.

Liz laughed a little. “No, it’s really okay. You go on with what you were about to say,” she encouraged on.

“I just wanted to wish you two luck,” Tess started. “I’m ecstatic with my own life. I know that I’ll be happy with Kyle. –I mean, not that I wasn’t happy with Max. We had our moments…-oh, sorry! I mean, -it was okay, it didn’t work out. He just wasn’t the one, but I know I’ve gotten it right this time. –And I know you have, too…Sooo sorry, did I offend you with what I said earlier?” she babbled, self-consciously.

“No, not at all,” Liz commented. “I know how awkward it feels for either of you to explain this without getting anyone hurt… And things in life don’t always work out, right? But that makes life so much better. If you had stayed with Max, then you wouldn’t have gotten married to Kyle today,” she reassured Tess.

“You really are a wonderful person,” Tess said quietly. She had become serious. “Max described you right.”

“Hmmm?” Liz asked curiously.

“He told me about you,” she explained. “He said wonderful things about you. And he actually knows what he’s doing.”

Liz blushed. Playing the part of Max’s pretend fiancée was really feeling realistic at the moment. “He has the power to exaggerate,” she mumbled.

“No, he didn’t do you justice,” Tess said. “That day I called to invite him. I remember him yammering on about a fiancée who sounded so wonderful. For a while, I actually thought that he was using this fiancée thing as an excuse, just so he could pass at attending the wedding, -but he was actually telling the truth.”

“He was,” Liz agreed. She felt a twinge of guilt for lying to Tess. She was a very nice girl, even though Liz had thought of her as some kind of a wise flirt from what she had heard.

There was a moment of quiet that followed. And the two girls stood in silent admiration for each other. One was glad that the other had just wedded, and was sure that her decisions were going to be for forever, starting that day on. The other was equally glad that her ex-husband had found someone that would be an even better wife than she had been, and she was sure that they would make a perfect team as husband and wife in the future.

After a moment, Tess came to her senses with a start. “I have to go! I have to meet with my parents before we leave!” she exclaimed.

“Go on then. You shouldn’t stay at the restroom with me. It’s your day!” Liz said gesturing to the door.

“Oh, thank you! Thank you so much for coming. Good luck to you and Max,” she said, giving Liz a quick hug, before sweeping out of the comfort room hurriedly in a flash of lace and silk organza.

Liz left the room a few more minutes later. She was just in time to see the newlyweds walking out the door, -to all the guests’ cheers, and into a waiting car. She had clapped along, and came to stand beside Max.

“There’s still a party we have to stay for,” Max said upon seeing her stand beside him. “They won’t take no for an answer,” he said, referring to his friends.

“Oh,…if we really have to stay!” Liz said in a mock begrudging tone. She was feeling okay with spending time there, even if she would deny enjoying it a thousand times, if Max had asked her.

“We might as well start dancing,” Max said. The music had changed, as Kyle and Tess left, to the kind that was more suitable for small dances. He jerked a thumb at the general direction of the people who were leaving their tables to dance. Some of Max’s friends were already on the dance floor.

He held his hand out to Liz, and she took it without saying anything. They started for the dance floor, both unconsciously anticipating what would happen as the moments progressed at a slower process, and time was extended to an elastic stretch, as the music tempted them to a slow dance.

(tbc)
Sorry about the delay. :oops: I just finished this today. :)
Last edited by liz_maria on Mon Mar 21, 2005 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.