Dirty Little Secret (AU,M/L,MATURE) Chap 20 - 11/26/12 [WIP]

This is the place where fics that have not been updated in the past three months will be moved until the author asks a mod to move them back to an active board.

Moderators: Anniepoo98, ISLANDGIRL5, truelovepooh, Forum Moderators

Reamhar
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Dirty Little Secret (AU,M/L,MATURE) Chap 20 - 11/26/12 [WIP]

Post by Reamhar »

Title: Dirty Little Secret
Author: Reamhar
Genre: AU No Aliens
Pairings: M/L & CC in general, but there will be some UC to begin with
Rating: Mature

Disclaimer:

I’ve read the instructions and checked the labels, they’re definitely not mine!

Roswell and its characters belong to Metz, Katims and the relevant TV companies. Any songs or lyrics used belong to their writers. No infringement is intended. The title is taken from the Sarah McLachlan song of the same name.

Note(s)

To try to make things a bit clearer I’m going to put past memories, or narrative that is from the past in italic to differentiate it because this story is likely to jump backwards and forwards in time as it develops.

I should also confess that I'm from the UK and went to Uni in the UK, my knowledge of college life in the US is limited, so if I've used the wrong terminology anywhere, please let me know and I'll correct it.

Summary

Graduating from college is supposed to be about new beginnings and new opportunities. For Liz Parker it’s about coming home. Since her mother’s marriage to Jeff Parker the relationship between Liz and her step sister Tess has been hostile, at best. Now Liz has returned home to start and new job in the family law firm, but just how happy a beginning is this going to be for Liz who is a beloved daughter and step daughter, but a despised sister?

If I had the chance, love
I would not hesitate
To tell you all the things I never said before
Don't tell me it's too late

Cause I've relied on my illusions
To keep me warm at night
But I denied in my capacity to love
I am willing, to give up this fight

I've been up all night drinking
To drown my sorrow down
Nothing seems to help me since you went away
I'm so tired of this town
Where every tongue is wagging
When every back is turned
Their telling secrets that should never be revealed
There's nothing to be gained from this
But disaster……….

(Dirty Little Secret - Sarah McLachlan)

Past

Awe and a tiny amount of apprehension were the first emotions that Liz felt as she crossed the threshold of her new stepfather’s house in Boston. Just turned 16 years old and born and brought up in a small desert town in New Mexico, she was finding the lush Massachusetts countryside and the hustle and bustle of Boston a culture shock. Moving from a modest house in Roswell to Jeff Parker’s palatial house in an expensive suburb of the city was a literal step into a different world.

Liz let her thoughts wander as she followed her mother who was listening to her new husband as he showed them around his cavernously large home. She was trying hard not to be intimidated by the opulence of it all. The only other similar properties that she had ever seen inside had been on ‘Life Styles of the Rich and Famous’. Maria was going to flip when she found out. As it was, Maria had been on cloud nine when Jeff had confessed to being the owner of his own swimming pool. How she was going to react when she found out that he in fact owned two pools, one indoor and one outdoor, was quite another matter.

Thinking of Maria reminded Liz painfully of the distance that now stood between her best friend and cousin. She felt a pang of loneliness and allowed herself to mourn the loss of the quiet normality of her previous home.

Jeff had promised his new daughter that she had a phone of her own in her bedroom, and that they would have opportunities to visit each other frequently, but it wasn’t a real alternative for having Maria living just down the street. It wasn’t going to be the same as being able to see Maria every day in school, but Liz was determined to try to make the best of the situation.

Her mother was happy with her new husband, and Liz was already fond of her new stepfather. Since Liz’s own father had walked away from them and disappeared out of their lives, her mother, Nancy, had had to work two jobs to just to keep a modest roof over their heads. Liz appreciated the sacrifices that her mother had made to look after them both, and did not begrudge her the happiness that she had found with Jeff Parker, even if it meant that her own life had to be up rooted and moved to the other side of the country.

Most of all Liz was looking forward to meeting her new step-sister, Tess. As an only child and being so far away from Maria, who was like a sister to her, she was eager to get to know Tess and hoped that they might become close.

Carefully wrapped and held in Liz’s hand was a friendship bracelet that she had lovingly plaited herself. She wore an identical one tied around her own wrist and Maria, so far away in New Mexico, owned the third. They had been made during a tearful afternoon with Maria when they had been lamenting their fast approaching separation with Ben and Jerry’s and trashy movies. Maria had come up with the idea of the bracelets to show that they would be friends forever. Her begrudgingly given agreement to the creation of a third bracelet for Liz’s new sister had been gain once Liz had promised that she would always love Maria the best, no matter how wonderful her new sister might turn out to be.

Jeff had worked hard to get to know Liz before his marriage to her mother, and they had shared many conversations about the important people in both their lives. From this and the gift of a picture, Liz had created a favourable image of her new sister. She was a delicate doll like beauty with curly blond hair and blue, blue eyes who enjoyed ballet, and who was the apple of her father’s eye. Jeff had promised that Tess was looking forward to meeting her new family with anticipation. They were all to be a new family now, and Liz desperately wanted this to work for the sake of her mother and to help fill the spaces in her heart which had been empty since the desertion of her father.

Jeff continued to eagerly explain the use and history of yet another in a long serious of rooms that they had been shown and Liz did her best to listen politely and pay attention, but she was getting nervous, because the tour of the house was to end with her first meeting with Tess. Liz fiddled nervously with the skirt of her dress wondering for the hundredth time if she had picked the right outfit for this important day.

Nancy saw her daughter’s nervous gesture, and caught her hand stilling the movement. She squeezed gently, and smiled reassuringly.

“You look beautiful, honey.” Liz smiled for her mother’s benefit, but couldn’t quite hide the apprehension in her eyes.

“And how do I look?” Her mother asked, trying to distract the worried expression from her solemn face.

“Lovely.”

“Thank you, honey.” Her mother squeezed her hand again. “We’re going to be okay, you know? We’re both going to be happy here.”

Jeff watched the exchange between mother and daughter and smiled before saying teasingly, “So, can I join in?” He gathered them together in a brief bear hug.

“I think you both look lovely too. Tess should be back from school now. Why don’t we go and meet her downstairs?” Jeff held out one hand to his new wife and one to his new daughter and led them down the stairs and towards a meeting which would be a defining moment in all of their futures.

Present day.

Cell phone in hand, Liz paused in the process of loading bags containing food bought for the dinner she was planning to cook tonight into her small car.

“Hello?”

“Hi.”

“Oh. Hi Maria.”

“So how’s the bunny boiler?”

“Maria, don’t keep calling her that. We haven’t crossed paths yet. It’ll be later on tonight if all goes to schedule.”

“Listen hun, I’ve heard the stories, I’ve met the beast. She’s a bunny boiler. Can any one who gets packed off to boarding school for trying to poison her sister’s pony be called anything else?”

Liz had had this conversation with Maria in various forms over the years, but she still took the time to try to defend her step sister to the best of her ability.

“Look, she was sent to Winnaman Academy for more reasons than allegedly causing my pony to get colic. She said at the time that she forgot to soak the sugar beat before using it. People make mistakes.”

“Phffft, and the bunny jumped into Glenn Close’s cooking pot to enjoy a relaxing Jacuzzi.

You say to-may-toh and I say to-maa-toh.” Maria sing-songed in response.

A change of topic appeared to be sensible, so Liz tried to divert Maria. “How’s the house move going? Has Alex’s stuff arrived yet?”

“If you mean are Alex’s multiple pieces of computer equipment cluttering the living room and the hall because his rooms already full, you’d be correct. If you mean has his other stuff arrived, like clothes and so on? No. We’ve still to find room for that, never mind the rest of it. The man himself isn’t arriving until next weekend.”

“I warned you that it wouldn’t work when you conned him into having the smallest bedroom.”

“I didn’t con him. I just pursued him that it would be the chivalrous thing to do, and he couldn’t say no.

Anyway, I think I’ve got a solution. Why not let him use the dining room for his computer equipment. If we’re going to entertain we can always help pack it away. We’ll probably eat more on the couch or in the kitchen anyway.”

“If you think Alex will go for it, I don’t have a problem.”

“Of course he’ll go for it. We need the bigger bedrooms, Alex is a boy. I mean, how many pairs of shoes does he own? 4? Why would he need all that extra closet space?”

Liz was rolling her eyes at her friend’s logic, but she could see the sense of her planning regarding the dining room. “Sounds like a plan. It might be useful to have somewhere to use as office space anyway.”

“So are you coming home to finish unpacking tonight?”

“No, I’m going to stay the night here.”

“So you’re having a reunion with the step-monster, and staying under the same roof. Don’t you think that you’re maybe about to live the opening lines of a horror film?”

“Maria!”

“I’m kidding.”

“The scary thing is that I know that you’re not.”

Maria began to make maniacal laughing noises down the phone, and Liz started laughing despite herself.

“I know that we’ve never crossed paths in years since I moved away to college. You know my reasons for that; I was trying to give her some space to build bridges. So, yes, tonight is going to be a little strange. But we’re both adults now.”

“Your heart’s in the right place babe, I just don’t know if you’re being realistic. You conceded that house to her when you left. You’re going to be on her turf tonight without a home advantage.”

“I’m not trying to beat her at baseball Maria, I’m trying to have a dinner with my family to let them know I’ve come back to Boston to live and work.”

“Should be simple in theory, but you too have a bad history to get around.”

“I know.”

“Look, I’d better not keep you. I’ve almost finished unpacking my stuff. If I get time tonight, I’ll start on your boxes. We’ve been roomies for years, I should be able to put stuff where you’d pretty much want it.

I bought some paint today. Maybe I would I should paint you’re room first, you know, before everything’s unpacked.”

“Maria? You wouldn’t.”

“Oh I would. Such a lovely shade…...”

“Maria…!

“….of Barbie pink. Just like when we were kids. Matching bedrooms. What do you think?”

“You know exactly what I think. Can you imagine meeting someone and taking them home to a Barbie’s Bedroom. Hardly romantic.”

“I don’t know, some men might like it.”

“Now you’re creeping me out on a whole new level.”

“Whatever. Good luck tonight. I hope it works out better than we’re both expecting. Bye.”

“Bye, and Maria no pink paint. Please, I’m begging you.” The call was terminated by with Maria’s giggling evilly down the phone.

Liz click off her phone and slammed the trunk of her car closed trying not to let worries about Tess’s potential hostility put a dark cloud in her otherwise blue sky.

She had a lot to look forward to tonight. She had arranged this dinner to break the news to her parents that she was returning home to Boston now that she had graduated from college in New Mexico with Maria. As far as they knew she was only home for a short visit whilst applying for jobs. She had successfully hidden the fact that she had relocated half way across the country with her two best friends, Alex and Maria, for company, and tonight was the night for letting the cat out of the bag.

Family was important to Liz, and she wanted them to be proud of her accomplishments. She had worked hard to gain her law degree which she had chosen, in part, to please Jeff even though her original ambition had been more towards a science degree. He’d been so thrilled to stand at her graduate ceremony and pose proudly for photographs with her dressed in her gown and carrying her diploma.

Despite her earlier reticence to the suggestion, Liz had decided to begin her legal career by joining him in the city law firm where he was a senior partner. He had given her so much and it had seemed like such a small compromise to make to grant him one of his dearest wishes. However, Liz had been determined to get a job on her own merits, not because she was Jeff Parker’s daughter. Consequently she had applied using her former surname and successfully come through the rigors of the recruitment system that all graduates had to follow before being offered a role with the prestigious firm. Liz had needed that piece of mind for herself, if nothing else.
Her new job had also been kept a secret, until tonight.

The dinner would also be the first time in years that she had met with Tess face to face since she had left for college. Though both girls had spent holidays and weekends at home with their parents, neither had been present in the house at the same time for a very long time. Seeing Tess tonight was going to be awkward. As Maria had so simply put it, they had a ‘bad history’.

Liz climbed into her car and started the engine with that thought paramount in her mind. She backed her car out of the parking space rather more quickly than she might normally, sending the small vehicle shooting backwards out of the space without properly looking over her shoulder.

More often than not, she would have got away with such a blunder, but the tinkle of breaking glass accompanied by a jolt that jerked Liz bruisingly against her seat belt made it clear that serendipity had not been smiling on her that afternoon. The back of her small Honda had smashed into the gleaming gun metal grey bonnet of a very expensive looking BMW.

Shaken and bruised, she looked in her mirror and smothered a groan as she watched a dark haired man unfold himself from the injured BMW and walk toward her own car.

‘Of all the cars you had to back into, you had to pick a BMW.’ She struggled out of her seat belt, ready to face the music as the stranger came up to the driver’s door.

Unfortunately and much to her mortification, Liz did not anticipate that her legs would suddenly develop the consistency of jelly and she wobbled precariously as she came up right too quickly for her still shocked body.

Much to Liz’s further embarrassment the BMW driver’s reflexes were not as adversely affected, and her slide to the ground was stopped as she was skillfully caught and held. Warm hands held her steady by her uppers arms as she brought her own hands up to steady herself against his chest.

Slight in statutory at a touch over 5 feet, Liz had to look sum considerable way up to meet the concerned expression on the stranger's handsome face. Amber eyes met startled brown, and she froze.

Collapsing onto the nearest handsome man was not a regular occurrence in Liz’s usually orderly life, so she could be forgiven for the stunned silence which followed as she stared up into his face.

When he finally spoke the only part of her brain which still seemed to be functioning registered that his rich voice was almost as attractive as his face. Almost... but what could be more beautiful than those eyes....

‘Are you alright?’ he repeated, obviously concerned by her silence and frankly blank expression.

‘Ehh, yes. I’m fine. I think….’ Liz replied, making a hurried attempt to step away from his embrace. He released her at once.

As he moved back from her and she was given a better view of her saviour who was the owner of the well muscled chest that she had been resting on several seconds ago. He was dressed casually in black jeans and dark blue T-shirt and he filled out his clothes very nicely indeed. Unfortunately the battered front of the BMW rather spoilt the view.

‘OH! Your car!’

‘Yes, “Oh my car”.’ The stranger replied rather dryly.

Hot colour rushed into Liz’s face and neck and she hurriedly launched into an embarrassed apology.

‘It was entirely my fault. I was distracted as I was pulling out and should have looked before I moved the car. I don’t know what to say. I’m sorry? Of course my insurance will pay for everything...’ Liz tried to produce a cajoling smile, but it appeared more as a sheepish grimace, and the stranger’s rock hard countenance did not soften to her womanly wiles one iota.

‘I think perhaps your car came off a little worse than my own.’

Liz turned sharply to her own car and smothered another groan as she surveyed the crumpled mess where her rear light cluster had once been. ‘Oh no, what's Dad going to say?’

Turning back to the stranger she watched amusement reflected briefly in his eyes at her muttered remark His eyes travelling from her sneaker dressed feet up her cropped jogging pants and sweat shirt, up to her dark hair pulled back into an untidy pony tail and then back to her face, still red, bare of any make-up.

Because she was so small and not wearing makeup, Liz realised that this glorious specimen probably thought she was a lot younger than her actual age. She opened her mouth to explain that she was not an inexperience teenager out driving her parent’s car, but then shut it again. Around this man she made as much sense as a mad woman. Launching into another embarrassed monologue was not going to improve matters.

Instead she said a more typical Liz remark and replied evenly, ‘Yes, well, when I do something I rarely do it by halves.’

‘Apparently,’ Liz was relieved to hear amusement in his voice and she smiled in response.

‘Look, I really am sorry. I have honestly never done anything like this before so I don’t know the etiquette, or whatever for it, I, eehh....Liz Parker.’ She introduced herself for want of something more suitable to say and she held her hand out to be shaken.

Max’s lips quirked at such social niceties given the situation. Most people might have been worried about averting being verbally attacked at the very least, not about appearing rude. But then Liz Parker? This couldn’t be Tess’s stepsister? The embarrassed girl in front of him didn’t look any older than seventeen? Unless she was a relative?

He took the proffered hand and engulfed her small fingers in his own. The brief contact of skin caused a rush of warmth to flash across Liz’s face again and she had to stop herself from snatching her hand away. Really, today was just proving to be too weird....

Max was not oblivious to the rush of heat which had passed between them, and he watched the blush rise into Liz’s pale face and the surprise reflect in her eyes. It was at that point that he noticed how unusual her eyes were. The were the perfect shade of chocolate brown with long dark lashes, framed within flawless skin, dark shiny brown hair and a neat, but attractively rounded figure. Even without makeup she was stunning.

Eyes darkening with appreciation of a very beautiful female, Max caught himself thinking that he must be getting old to be lusting after teenagers.

Liz, happier now that she felt more in control of the situation said with a businesslike tone. ‘Of course you will need my insurance details and....’

‘I don’t think that will be necessary. Knowing Jeff, I Think the lecture that you will receive when he sees the car will be more than enough punishment. Your car doesn’t look too badly damaged, certainly it is drivable; just try not to drive into any other unsuspecting drivers on your way home.’ Max was rueful, almost indulgently amusement as he turned and walked back towards his car.

He still thinks I’m some sort of naughty school child thought Liz with annoyance. ‘Look, I don't know who you think I am, or how you know my....’ Her final words were cut of by Max returning to his car and starting the engine, and with a wave of his hand he drove away leaving Liz standing beside her wounded car simmering with illogical annoyance at being so summarily dismissed.

She turned and stomped back to her car muttering with annoyance under her breath, ‘Arrogant beast. He probably thinks I’m am an air headed female.’

She backed the car gingerly out of the space and headed for her father's house. She could see how ridiculous she was being almost immediately. After all, she had smashed into his car, and she was annoyed with him? What difference did it make anyway? They were unlikely to meet again.

‘...knowing Jeff...’ his words came back to her in a rush and she sighed noisily, just how embarrassing would it be if he really did know her father well. There was a good chance that they would meet again if he was a neighbour or business acquaintance of her father. Liz’s parents often held parties at their house, and even in the cast of thousands that tended to be invited to these events, she was likely to notice her knight in shining armour even in a throng. He was stunning. She would have to check with Maria, but was wounding someone’s car a deal breaker in terms of successful future flirting?

Liz, grudgingly mindful of the stranger’s sardonic warning about other drivers drove the short distance from the shops to her home at a steady speed giving her full attention to the road rather the many hundreds of ways that this reunion with Tess could backfire, or in contemplation of Mr Tall-dark-and-handsome, and second meetings.
Last edited by Reamhar on Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:06 pm, edited 38 times in total.
Reamhar
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by Reamhar »

Sorry to take a while to come back with another part of this. I've had to play around with it for a while because I wasn't 100% happy with the start. However, I think I may have fixed my earlier concerns by changing the ages of Tess and Liz when they first meet. So, I've revised the time scales in the first part, so Liz is 16 when she first meets Tess.

Thank you to:-

Behrsgurl*87.
Gnomie,
pandas2001,
begonia9508,
guelbebek,
Emz80m,
RhondaAnn,
behrluv32,
Kirsty
tequathisy,
roswell3053,
POM

for the fab feedback, hopefully I'll manage to keep everyone interested. :D

As it turned out crashing your car into someone, even a good looking someone, took a surprising amount of time and though Liz had managed to drive safely back to her parents’ home, she still hadn’t made it to the kitchen. She now stood with a crow bar in her hand considering her options because her car was holding the shopping hostage.

The trunk was jammed shut, and no matter how hard she pulled it remained stubbornly closed. So Liz found herself hesitating about damaging her ‘baby’ (Henry the Honda) further by forcefully prying the trunk open.

Of course Liz could have ‘fessed up to the bump and had someone else do the deed for her, but Liz wanted to delay her father hearing about her escapade. It wasn’t that she was going to be told off about the accident. What she was trying to defer, because it couldn’t be avoided, was Jeff’s completely predictable over reaction to the news that she had been in a fender bender. What she needed to do was find an opportunity to explain what had happened to her mother first, and then Nancy could manage her husband after the event.

Liz knew that she should try to be more tolerant, and indulge her stepfather. After all that he had gone through with Tess, she intellectually understood the roots of his anxiety and his protectiveness, but to grow as an individual she knew that she needed to fight for her independence.

Going away to college had been her first step on that path, despite his opposition and a certain amount of hurt on Jeff’s part that she would want to return to New Mexico. Returning to Boston was her own decision too, but she had decided not to move back in with her parents.

Liz had joined financial forces with Alex and Maria and between them they had managed to buy a small dilapidated Victorian town house. They had been flat mates in college, so living together wasn’t going to be a problem. Reining in Maria’s more avant-garde interior design choices might be, but living with her second family was never a problem for Liz. She loved her friends dearly, and had been touched when they had both said they wanted to come to live and work in Boston too.

Neither of them had strong ties to the area, though Maria had more knowledge than Alex from spending summers with Liz. With perfecting timing enticing job opportunities had become available to them both, so it appeared that fate must have been smiling on the plan all along.

Maria would be beginning a job in one of the largest galleries in the city where she was going to use her art degree and receive a train in art restoration. Alex had secured a lucrative role with Ameretex who produced cutting edge networking technology, and who, in Alex’s words, would pay for him to travel around the world whilst fiddling with boys’ toys and the salary wasn’t too bad either. True to his words, he was currently undergoing his induction into the graduate programme with a short placement in Washington.

All in all, Liz’s life was coming together beautifully. She had a challenging new job to look forward to. A new home to renovate and her friends and family settled and close by. She had a lot to be thankful for, and she knew to count her blessing because in her experience, life didn’t always smile on people.

With an unhappy grimace, Liz placed the crow bar into the edge of the trunk, and with tightly shut eyes and murmured words of apologies to her little car, leveraged the crow bar downwards with a grunt of effort. With a screech of metal against metal the trunk lid came away from the car body into which it had been crushed and swung up to reveal the contents of the food bags emptied out on the floor of the trunk. Liz collected the bags of food out of her poor little car and walked away from Henry in a guilty rush heading up into the house.

With the unrequested, but very welcomed help of the house keeper DD, Liz had dinner back on schedule and left in DD’s capable hands. Despite the number of years that Liz had lived in this household, the idea of having people wait on her still made her uncomfortable, but she and DD were old friends.

Liz met her mother by accident on the stairs as she was heading to her room to change, and couldn’t contain the mischief’s grin from her face when she thought of breaking her news to her later tonight..

“Hi honey.”

“Hi, Mom.” They hugged briefly, and Nancy took in Liz’s flushed face and quick smile with one of her own.

“Where are you off to?”

“To get changed. I didn’t think that the tomato juice speared look would quite set the tone for the fine dining experience I had planned.”

Nancy linked her arm through Liz’s and they both began to walk up the stairs. She knew that Liz wanted desperately for this dinner to go successfully, but she was about to drop a small bombshell.

“Lizzie, Tess called whilst you were out. She’s going to bring a friend.”

“Oh.” Liz had planned this meal to be family only. Tess bring someone with her meant that the emphasis was going to shift from informal gathering to entertaining. Not to mention that the numbers would now be uneven, making Liz, as ever was the case in this house, the odd number and the odd one out. That was Tess’s particular speciality.

Liz took it on the chin, and managed to smile again, hiding her disappointment. “That’s fine.”

“I tried to call you on your cell phone to let you know, but it kept going to voicemail.”

Problem number two because of her fender bender, a smashed mobile phone. “Yeh, mom, about this afternoon, I really need to…”

Nancy interrupted Liz with a wave of her hand. “I didn’t think you’d mind. I’ve invited Maria to even up the numbers.” As a good mother should, Nancy understood the dynamic between Tess and Liz, even if Jeff managed to be pretend to be oblivious to it in the main.

Despite wondering just how her mother knew that Maria was in Boston, Liz paid more attention to the sense of relief that she felt knowing that she would have Maria for moral support. She didn’t want to admit it, but it was difficult not to acknowledge that even after so many years, she still found Tess a little intimidating.

“How’d you know that Maria was even in Boston?”

“You’re Aunty Amy never could keep a secret.” Nancy replied wryly. “She wanted to know that her baby was settling in okay.”

“Well, it seems you’ve found out my big surprise. Did you know about my job with the firm?”

“Actually, it was your father who found out about that first. Someone at the firm mentioned it in passing. Congratulations. You’ve made Jeff very happy, and I.m so please that you’ve come home.”

“Thanks Mom, for inviting Maria.”

“You’re welcome, sweetie.”

They were standing on the top landing when Liz decided that she may as well let the last cat out of the bag. “I have a small, tiny, tiny, tiny confession.”

“Yes?” Mother and second mother to two teenagers, Nancy new a wheedling voice when she heard it, and her expression said as much.

“Look mom, I had a small fender bender this afternoon. But I’m fine. See, no marks, no broken bones, no one was hurt except my car. But I don’t want to tell Dad tonight, you understand why.”

“So you’d be looking for a non-fussing mother response I take it?”

“Absolutely. Pretty please.”

“Okay, as long as you’re sure you’re okay.”

“I’m fine honestly.” Okay that was a very small white lie. She was actually a bit bruised, pretty embarrassed and dreading ever re-meeting her partner in crime.

“Anything else you need?” Nancy asked knowingly.

“Could you do a bit of dad management for me? Tell him maybe tomorrow? I’ll grovel if you like?”

“No problem.”

“Thanks.”

A cheerful call of, “I’m here, let’s get the party started,” floated up from the hall, and Maria appeared below.

“We’re up here Maria.”

Maria skipped up the stairs ever full to the brim with energy. “Hi Mrs P, thanks for the dinner invitation.”

Nancy caught Maria up in a bear hug happy to see her niece looking full of life as usual.

“The divine DD let me in and said to tell you that Mzz Parker phoned to say that she was running late.” With her back to Nancy, Maria delivered her message with an expressive roll of her eyes clearly expressing her opinion that Tess was being late on purpose.

“That’s not a problem, everything is under control. It just means I’ve got more time to get changed and veg out for a while.” Liz replied calmly.

“Works for me. Want to join us for some gal pal time?”

“I’d love to if you don’t mind having an old foggie around.”

They all walked into Liz’s huge bedroom. Bigger than many people’s apartments, it was split levelled with a seating and TV area below and large fairy princess four poster bed up several steps. A marble lined bathroom and small dressing room led off from the lower level, and Liz left Maria lounging on a sofa talking to Nancy to rummage through her closet for something suitable to wear.

“I spoke to you’re mom last night Maria, she seems to be in good form.”

Liz knew that the outfit that she had originally selected for tonight wasn’t going to work. With Tess bringing a friend, family dinner casual wasn’t going to work anymore. She paused on a quintessential little black dress, but disregarded it a being too obvious.

“She’s good, but getting a bit annoyed with Jim.”

Liz looked around from her search through the wardrobe. Jim Valenti and Amy Deluca had been a committed couple for several years now, despite being very different types of people. As Maria had stated in doomed tones when they first got together, just how well could it end when a flower child and man who carried a gun at work got together? Happily, she had been proven wrong to date.

“Oh, why?” Nancy asked, interest in a piece of news that her sister had failed to impart.

“Jim’s still trying to make an honest woman of her. He’s even recruited Kyle to help. He says he’ll wear her down eventually.”

“And what does she say.” Liz asked from the door of the dressing room.

“Liz, this is my mother we’re talking about. Do you thinking nagging in stereo is going to work? She’s twice as determined not to be hurried into making up her mind.”

Liz found the idea of Amy being hurried highly amusing as she’d already had several years in which to make up her mind. Maria had an adorable little brother, Cai, who was two years old, and Jim and Amy had been together for several years before he appeared as a happy accident in their relationship. However, regardless of Jim’s persistence to the contrary even before Cai was born, Amy insisted that they kept two homes. In practise however Jim, Amy and Cai lived in her house, and Kyle lived in Jim’s.

“After dad, I guess she finds it difficult dealing with the threat of losing some of her independence.” Maria said matter of factly referring to her father’s very public affair with a work colleague and then relocation to Miami with the contents of the marital bank accounts leaving Amy with debts and the humiliation of being the talk of the town gossips for many months afterwards.

“It takes time to trust again after something like that.“

Nancy nodded, she was in total agreement with Maria’s assessment.

“She still resides in the world where all men are bastards. My beloved father couldn’t have left a worst impression on her if he’d be violent, and Jim is living with the consequences.”

Nancy’s expression was suddenly shuttered, and she looked to Liz quickly with worried eyes as though scared of her reaction.

Maria immediately sat up on the sofa where she had been previously slouched with a horrified gasp of , “Oh God! I’m sorry, I’m such an idiot. You know me; I never have my mouth open without my foot being in it.”

Liz observed her mother and her best friend looking at her as though she was about to break because Maria had used the words “father”, and “violent” in the same sentence. She’d didn’t need the many years of therapy that she had gone through to understand where the worry came from. They loved her, but their protectiveness could be smothering sometimes. To Liz their reaction always somewhat surprised her. After all, it was Nancy who had been the main victim of her father’s alcohol fuelled rages. Liz had just been the witness.

Liz schooled her features into a calm mask, ruthlessly suppressing the rush of emotion that was trying to crowd to the surface, and instead replied in a calm voice, “It’s okay Maria, you don’t need to censor yourself around me.”

She turned back towards the wardrobe and continued to rummage through her clothes with renewed zeal, indicating that the subject was over, but she missed the sadness in her mother’s eyes, because Nancy understood exactly how much of a toll it had taken on her little girl.
Last edited by Reamhar on Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reamhar
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by Reamhar »

begonia9508 - Liz was never actually abused by her father, but that doesn't mean that she escaped unscathed from seeing her mother being beaten. Is Max Tess's friend, mmmh? You're going to have to read some more to find out. :lol:

POM - thanks for the feedback and I'm glad you like the story. :D

Part 3

Max had been contemplating a hot shower and his bed when Jeff called him at home. As apologetic as he had been about disturbing a jet lagged Max, Jeff had been fairly clear that he needed to see him urgently at his house that evening. Max had already stepped off a plane from Europe and crashed his car today, so if it had been anyone other than Jeff making the request he would have politely told them to go to hell.

Jeff had been a close friend of Max’s father Phillip, and Max had known Jeff for most of his life. Over the years they had become close and on one level Jeff had become something of a substitute father figure as Max’s relationship with his own father had deteriorated after his parents’ divorce. For Max the divorce had been timed badly, occurring as he was transitioning from high school to college and had resulted in his estrangement from his father when he took his mother’s side in the proceedings.

Years later, when Phillip had been diagnosed with terminal cancer, it had been Jeff who had convinced Max to try to build bridges with his father before it was too late. They had managed to rebuild some of their former relationship, but Max had never truly forgiven Phillip for some of his previous choices. Even now Max still felt like he was living with the consequences of his father’s past behaviour, though Phillip had been dead for nearly six months.

To Max, who was contemplating the flashing message light on his answering machine without enthusiasm, it seemed that half the world wanted a piece of him today. Work and Tess had both called, both leaving messages obviously anticipating his return home today. He gave them his attention depending on their perceived importance, but regardless of jet lag, if Jeff needed to see him urgently, then Max was willing to make every effort to make the time to see him. However, it still took several strong cups of espresso to give him enough energy to leave the house that evening.

<center>~~~~</center>

“So I was thinking of a sort of muted mustard yellow for the hall way. I wanted something that would brighten up the hall, but that would have more zing than beige, you know?”

“Ah-huh.”

Maria rolled her eyes. She knew that Liz wasn’t taking in what she was saying because she was far too busy stressing about meeting Tess.

“Of course, maybe we should go for a more banana yellow, or florescent yellow; like a road sign colour. Don’t you think that would really be in keeping with the age of the house? The Victorian’s were really into fluorescent yellow.”

“Yeh, yellow sounds good.”

Standing with her back to her friend, Liz was putting the final touches to her makeup, and fiddling distractedly with her hair. Maria had suggested a more bold use of makeup than Liz, who normally favoured a more naturally look, would have chosen if left alone. Liz’s dark hair had been pinned up in a French roll with just enough tendrils of hair left loose to soften the style and frame her face.

Maria could see the tension in Liz’s shoulders, even if she couldn’t have picked it up from the atmosphere in the room. She’d tried her best to distract Liz by prattling on about decorating, but to be distracted someone had to actually be listening. If distraction wasn’t working maybe a more direct method was necessary. Maria checked her watch and realised that Liz was running out of procrastination time.

Nancy had left them alone perhaps thirty minutes ago, assuming responsibility for checking on the progress in the kitchen and rounding up her husband prior to Tess and her companion’s arrival.

Maria tried once more to get Liz’s attention. “Liz, babe, if you fiddle with your hair much longer you’ll go bald.”

“Mmmh. I suppose you’re right.”

Maria could have said that the room was on fire, and still get the same response from Liz, so the time for subtle was over. Employing a voice and volume that had always worked best across large university quads and crowded refectories, she bellowed, “LIZ!”

The volume on its own had the desired effect, and Liz jumped guiltily, realising that she had been caught not listening. “I’m sorry, what did you say?”

Liz turned round to face Maria letting her see properly the outfit combined with the hair and make-up. She was dressed in an ankle length black skirt with which was slashed to above the knee, worn with knee high boots and a simple red velvet evening top which had spaghetti straps and a draped back which showed just enough of the creamy skin on Liz’s back to be provocative without being over the top. The colours complimented Liz’s skin tone and dark hair perfectly. It was a confident and sophisticated outfit, even if the wearer was feeling far from that in reality.

“I said that if you didn’t stop phaffing about with your hair you would go bald, and you agreed with me. You also agreed to painting the house fluorescent yellow.”

“Oh, I’m sorry.” Liz’s frowned slightly, her face guilty.

“I understand, believe me, but I don’t think you can stall up here any longer. Even if Tess was mega late, she should have arrived by now.”

“Do I look okay?”

“You look stunning, really.”

She's got a pretty smile it covers up the poison that she hides
she walks around in circles in my head waiting for a chance to break me
chance to take me down, now I see this burden you gave me
is too much to carry, too much to bury inside

Maria had pushed Liz towards this choice of outfit because she privately thought that red was a good colour to wear into battle, because a battle zone was about the best way that she could think to describe Liz’s home life since she’d come to Boston. Perhaps Guerrilla war might have been a more accurate label, since Tess had chosen more covert ways of getting back at Liz in the main. Or could what occurred between Liz and Tess really be called a war? Maria’s perception of it was that Liz had never really fought back against Tess at all.

“It’s going to be okay Liz, you’re not children anymore. You’ve come home now, and she’s just going to have to deal with it.”

The look of doubt on Liz’s face was distressing to Maria. It was as though all of the self confidence and self worth that Liz had built at college had deserted her, and she was back to being a quiet, introverted teenager all over again. Maria hated it, and the less brave part of her wished that they had stayed in New Mexico.

“I won’t leave you, I promise, but we have to go and face the beast. Hiding up here isn’t the answer. It’s why you planned this dinner in the first place.”

“You’re right. I know you’re right, but it’s so hard. Harder than I thought.”

“You’ve already done the hardiest part by deciding to come back. All you’re doing now is meeting Tess. She just one person, that’s all.”

Maria knew that Liz didn’t really do conflict, and didn’t, except with a view close friends, do emotional intimacy or open herself up to world. However, her battlefield of a relationship with Tess required that she did all of these things simultaneously. Aside from her obvious fear, Maria had confidence that Liz had enough back bone to get through this. She’d seen Liz work with determination to get over her natural shyness in college to be head of her class. She’d come along way from the quiet, suppressed teenager she’d been to become a popular, confident student. That transformation had required courage for Liz to step away from what she had known and go into the world to grow. Maria wasn’t about to let a vindictive blond dwarf push her friend back down again.

The straightening of her posture and the small forced smile that Liz was wearing showed that she was thinking the same as her best friend. Liz knew that she needed to do this tonight, or she would never be able to get over the past. There were too many emotional skeletons trying to pull her back down as it was without making more by failing to confront her relationship with Tess head on.

“Okay, let’s do this.”

I guess you're the only one that nobody changes
I guess you're the only one left standing when everything else goes down
You're still the only one, yeah, you're still the only one

Liz walked ahead of Maria as they descended the sweeping marble stairs. Maria admired the way Liz’s figure was accentuated by her outfit. As slight as Liz was, she still had curves, and the straight skirt and simple top clung in all the right places without being too obvious. In essence, Liz looked sexy and classy at the same time. She was smoulderingly attractive, warm and vibrant which was bound to clash with Tess’s icy blue eyes and pale blond beauty to startling effect. Fire and ice. Maria had to wonder; could fire actually be represented by a virgin?

Liz had managed to navigate through school and college life without forming any emotional or physical attachments. She had dated, but boyfriends inevitably ended up as friends rather than lovers. Liz seemed to have an unerring ability to pick male companions who would not push for physical intimacy too hard.

Probably the closest that Liz had let any male emotionally, except Alex, was Kyle. Maria never had understood what a quintessential jock and the school science nerd could possibly have in common when they were in high school. They had enjoyed a close relationship up to the point that Liz left to move to Boston, and still remained close friends.

Liz had reached the bottom of the stairs when she realised that Maria was not by her side, and she turned to find her friend paused half way up the first flight of stairs staring at her strangely.

“What’s going on in that head of yours?”

“I was just thinking about your lack of a sex life.”

Liz flushed in embarrassment, red colour creeping across her cheeks and neck.

“And it’s reactions like that that convince me that we need to do something about it.” Maria continued calmly as she came down the final steps and past Liz down the corridor as though they had been discussing the weather.

“We? Maria, remember we had the whole conversation about thinking it through before you said what was on your mind.”

“Yeah.”

“Now might be a good time to start.”

“I’ll think about it. You have to give me credit, though.”

They were standing in the doorway of the family living room, and Liz hadn’t even realised. “For what?”

“Taking your mind of Tess for the last 60 seconds.” Maria’s hand was in the small of Liz’s back before she realised, and she had been propelled inside the room without having a chance to hesitate.

After all the anxiety and build up to this moment, the room was empty except for Nancy sitting demurely on a sofa with a glass of sherry in her hand.

“They haven’t arrived yet?” Maria asked, stating the obvious.

“No.”

“Typical, no one appreciates my sense of timing.” Maria huffed.

As if on queue the door bell rang. With some reluctance Liz started to move to the door to greet the guests, but her mother halted her progress.

“Lizzie sweetie, let me get that, can you go and find your father. He’s still working in his office. I’ve tried twice now to get him to leave his computer, but he’s too engrossed to notice the time.”

It's so shallow and all so appealing
I'm up to my ankles and I'm drowning anyway
in a sea of sarcastic faces, familiar places
everything looks quite the same here
it's all confusingly amusing
bitter and tainted the picture you painted to me

“Sure, mom.” Liz left the room with a guilty sigh of relief, happy to have dodged the bullet yet again.

Max had been happy to find that his discussion with Jeff’s in his home office was mercifully short. It had been an effort for Max to keep concentrating as he felt his energy levels slowly running out. He had a demanding career, and travel was one of the less enjoyable parts. In an effort to hold off his approaching tiredness, Max had excused himself briefly, and was standing in one of Jeff’s bathrooms, splashing cold water onto his face in an attempting to wake himself up, since coffee no longer seemed to be having the desired effect.

Liz, in search of her step father was walking down the corridor towards his office when she heard the rapid tap, tap of stilettos on the polished marble floor of an adjoining corridor. She knew instinctively that the fast, but confident foot falls had to be Tess making her way to the same room.

Sudden Liz wasn’t ready to come face to face with her step sister on her own in the hall way, and in a moment of panic she decided to avoid the inevitable confrontation by ducking into the nearest room.

She was calling herself coward, even as she dashed through the door moving far faster than was perhaps advisable in Maria’s borrowed high heeled boots. The inevitable happened, as she fell rather than stepped into the bathroom. What was totally unexpected, however, was the pair of masculine arms that deftly caught her before she landed on the tiled floor. For the second time in one day, Liz was throwing herself into the arms of an unsuspecting man.

It took her only two seconds to register that the aftershave that she smelt was disturbingly familiar. When she looked up to find the same set of amber eyes staring down at her from a height as that afternoon, she was too shocked to stop the vocalisation of exactly what was going through her mind.

“Oh bugger!”

Liz didn’t have much chance to linger on her embarrassment, since it was about to get a lot worse unless she did something fast, because the sound of small feet in stilettos was getting closer to the wide open bathroom doorway. She acted first, and decided to deal with the consequences later by pulling herself away from her car crash victim, to shut the offending door before Tess found them together. Ignoring him, she pressed her ear to the closed door and listened for the foot steps.

For Max, someone’s who career depended on his ability to form insightful coherent arguments, this small woman and the pantomime of events that had just come crashing through the door of the bathroom had left him truly speechless.

He stepped closer to the door and said in a loud voice, “What on earth are you doing…?”

She silenced him without thinking by putting her fingers over his lips and saying, “shh,” whilst keeping her ear to the door.

When she felt teeth nipping softly at her fingers, she realised what she was doing, and pulled her fingers away like she’d been burnt. Max was trying not to laugh at the shocked expression on her face, but still didn’t have the first clue why he was standing in a bathroom with a beautifully dressed Liz Parker looking like she was about to expire in front of him.

When the door handle started to turn, Liz physically flinched, and the embarrassed colour drained from her face. Max was worried that she was about to pass out, the change was so rapid.

He moved to lock the door, pulling Liz against his chest again because she seemed unsteady, and she stood cradled against him quietly, her heart hammering in her own chest with fright.

The door handle rattled again, and Liz jumped in his arms like a frightened rabbit. Max was surprised by her reaction, but automatically sought to sooth her by running his hands up and down her back gently.

I guess you're the only one
that nobody changes
left standing when everything else goes down

“Daddy?” Tess’s voice sounded through the door. “Are you in there?”

“It’s Max, Tess, I’ll be out in a moment. I think Jeff was looking for Nancy.”

“Oh, do you want me to wait for you?”

“No, I’ll join you in a moment.”

“But you know I like waiting for you,” came the coquettish reply.

“I think at my advanced years Tess, I’ve managed to work out how to use a toilet without help.” If his words had been meant as a rebuke, Tess seemed oblivious.

“Whatever, Mr Grumpy-Pants.” The sound of her footsteps nevertheless faded down the hall heading in the direction of the living room.

You're still the only one
who will never change faces
left standing when everything else goes down

Max turned his attention back to the shivering girl in his arms. Liz couldn’t have been more shocked if she’d walked in on him naked. Mr Tall-dark-and-handsome from that afternoon was once again holding her against his rather buff chest, and his hands were doing something wicked with the bare skin of her back as they stroked up and down electrifying her skin with every touch. He smelt so good, and she sudden was feeling very warm.

Tess could have stormed in there with a brass band and herd of elephants, and Liz wouldn’t have tried to move from this spot nestled against his chest. His lips were moving, and she guessed that some words were coming out, but she was far too busy drowning in the honey warmth of his eyes to hear them.

“Liz, are you okay?”

When a gentle shake failed to get a response from her, Max moved both hands to cup her face, and he realised that, despite her pale face, she felt very warm. Was she sick?

“Come on sweetheart, speak to me.”

Liz felt his warm hands cup her face, and the feeling of unreality increased with the rapidity of her breathing. Her eyes flicked from his eyes to his mouth, as his full lips started to move again, but Liz wasn’t listening because this time one of his hands had moved to the back of her neck under her hair, and his thumb was stroking backwards and forwards against her pulse point.

Max’s hand against her cheek gently turned her face up so she was once again looking into his eyes rather than at his mouth. She tried really hard to focus on what he was saying, but his stroking thumb was playing havoc with her concentration, and her eyes flicked back to his mouth before returning to his eyes as a shiver of reaction run down her spine before she had a chance to stop it.

Max watched the way her doe eyes darkened perceivably, and felt her shiver as she press against him just a little closer. He was suddenly on the same page as Liz as the movement of her tongue moistening her lips caught his attention, and the hand that was unconsciously stroking the back of her neck tighten and pulled her face a little closer at the same time as her hands tightened against his chest around handfuls of his shirt.

Neither quite understood how it happened, but their lips connected, and at this point Liz’s brain checked out completely and she just let herself feel the sensation of this beautiful man’s lips moving against her own. When his tongue moved gently against of the seam of her lips requesting entrance, she welcomed it with a soft moan, and stood up on her tip toes to press herself closer within his circling arms. His tongue darted into her mouth, and the kiss was suddenly even more intense, as Liz felt her knees give out, forcing Max to take the weight of her body as his hand dropped to her hip, pulling her tighter against his lean frame.

When the door handle rattled again, they sprang apart abruptly, and Liz was shocked to find herself back in reality just barely standing on rubbery legs and contemplating the surprise expression on Max’s face as someone knocked on the door.

“Liz? Are you in there? What the hell are you doing?” Maria’s agitated voice sounded through the door as she once again rattled the door knob. “Liz I can hear you in there, are you alright, it sounded like you were moaning or something.

Liz looked from the door back to Max, utterly unable to think what to do next.

“Tell her you’re fine.” Max whispered.

“Ehh, I’m fine, Maria.”

“Tell her you’re coming out now.”

“No, I can’t go out there, now.” Liz whispered back. “She’ll realise something is up straight away. That would be bad. Very, very bad.”

“And it’s so much better to be found hiding in the toilet with me?” he whispered back, evidently amused.

She felt like she was in bits, and he was amused about it?

“Look…”

“Liz, who are you talking to in there?”

“Oh, shit… Maria, no one, I’m just coming. Wait a minute.” She turned back to find him leaning against the sink with his arms cross nonchalantly against his chest, completely unfazed.

Just what the hell do you say to someone in these circumstances? Liz certainly didn’t have a clue.

“Liz?”

“I’m coming.” Liz replied harassed.

“Are you ever going to tell me your name? You already ready know mine.”

Her question made him smile again, and he look more stunning if that was even possible.
“Max. Do you want to shake hands again?” he asked, poking fun gently.

“I don’t think so, we’ve already done that today, I think.” Liz found herself smile despite herself.

He reached across her, and Liz released panicking that he was unlocking the door. “What are you doing?”

“Getting you out of here before you ruin my reputation.” He replied wryly as he pushed Liz out through the partially opened door and straight into the company of Maria who was vibrating with curiosity on the other side of the door.

Maria took in Liz’s slightly swollen lips and mussed up lipstick and came to the conclusion that her friend had just been kissed to bits in her father’s bathroom. She grabbed Liz’s arm and began towing her down the corridor and into another room, her face alive with questions.

She presented Liz with a pocket mirror and lipstick without comment, waiting until Liz fixed her lipstick before launching into an interrogation.

“What the hell happened in there?”

“I think I just made out with Tess’s friend.”

“What are you talking about, have you been sniffing Tess’s hair dye or something? She came with Isabel, who is sitting in the living room with your father, mother and the witch herself waiting for you to return from god knows where you’ve been for the last 20 minutes.”

“She came with Isabel?”

“That’s what I just said.” Maria replied, utterly confused as to why this piece of news would delight Liz so completely.

“So what actually happened?”

Liz handed her back her lipstick and mirror with a wide smile. “Oh nothing, I was just working on my love life.” When Maria’a mouth formed a silent ‘oh’, Liz’s smile widened further. Liz felt like she was floating on cloud nine right now, and she wasn’t willing to analysis reality into what had just happened because it would only spoil her current high. Max hadn’t come with Tess, and that was all that she needed to know for now.

“Come on then, we’ve got a dinner to go to I think.” Liz took Maria by the hand and pulled her out of the door heading towards the living room with considerably more enthusiasm than before. Suddenly facing Tess didn’t feel quite so daunting.

Just 'cause it's all in your head
doesn't mean it has to be in mine and
I don't believe what you said
still can't get it out of my mind
I've tried to find myself in approval
I've already been there already done that
it got me nowhere it brought me nothing
but a good place to hide in
no one to confide in now

that nobody changes I guess
guess you're the only one
That will never change faces

(Only One – Lifehouse)
Reamhar
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by Reamhar »

Thanks for the amazing feedback:-

LairaBehr4 – nice to hear from you. :D

begonia9508 – don’t worry, Liz has a back-bone, it’s just that she keeps it pretty well hidden where Tess is concerned. :roll:

Guelbebek – you’re thinking in the right direction, and thanks for the bump. :D

Emz80m – ehh, sorry you’re going to have to wait a little before that happens. LOL. :P

kelly13 – thanks. :D

L-J-L 76 – all your questions are relevant. :D

RoninBehr – rather more than Liz was expecting, LOL. :lol:

Kittens – no, Max knows she’s not a teenager, in fact he knows a lot more than he’s letting on at the moment. :wink:

Tequathisy – thanks (wasn't I good, I worked on Walk Away first :D )

POM – you’re also thinking along the right lines.
:D

txndreamer06 – thanks, more interaction is coming. :D

Mica – thanks. :D

QueenofDreamers – interesting you should say that. *Angela drops a shifty hint*

Michelle in Yonkers – thanks, just please don’t haiku me, I’ll be good and keep updating regularly, honest! :shock: BTW - what were you quoting, I can only see a blank box. *Ducks* as the rotten tomato flies my way. LOL. :lol:

Okay this is just a short update, but the rest should be ready in a few days. It’s all written up, I just need to find the time to type it up and post it.

Part 4

The next morning Liz made unsteady progress down the stairs of, confusingly, her own home, rather than that of her parents. She was leaning heavily on the banister whilst using her other hand to shield her eyes from the too cheerful sunlight that was trying to kill her with its brightness. In other words, Liz Parker was suffering from the mother of all hangovers. Which was funny, because didn’t remember drinking any alcohol.

She shuffled into the living room in search of Maria and answers, and stopped in the arch way when the noise of rustling blankets came from the couch as someone rolled over. That couldn’t be right, why would Maria sleep on the couch? Or was she also in the same state?

Liz walked quietly into the room and peaked around the couch.

“Maria, what’s…” She slapped her hand over her mouth smothering her question into silence rapidly.

On view above a blanket, which usually resided on Liz’s bed, a tanned muscular arm and torso were on display. Liz instantly recognised the naked chest which she was becoming disturbingly familiar with lying against. No, it definitely wasn’t Maria.

With dark lashes fanned against his cheeks, Max’s rumpled head was lying against a pillow, which Liz again recognised as coming from her own room, sound asleep on their too short couch. He made an altogether appealing package of sleeping hunk, the only problem was, she didn’t have a clue how he’d come to be there.

Stifling an embarrassed groan, Liz left the room quietly. She remembered dancing with Max at the nightclub, and enjoying the feeling of their light flirting and…..

No, wait something else was coming back to her… slow dancing and bodies moving against each other.

Oh holy shit, had she really done a hoochie mamma impression? The memory of the point at which rubbing had become grinding (at her own instigation) came crashing back to her and promoted more loud groans.

Muttering, “Shit, shit, shit.” Under her breath she half tiptoed, half ran down the hall as fast as her thumping head would allow in search of Maria elsewhere in the house.

The usually inviting aroma of percolating coffee drifted down the hall, and Liz finally found Maria in their shabby kitchen bustling about looking perfectly normal. Was there no justice in the world? Maria could at least have had the decency to have a sympathy hangover like a good best friend should instead of looking the picture of health.

Maria turned when she heard Liz wander into the room, and Liz levelled a grumpy scowl at friend. Maria stopped short of laughing at the state that Liz was in, but failed to hide her amused smile when Liz gingerly climb onto one of the breakfast bar stools, and sat cradling her sore head in her hands.

“Maria why is Max sleeping on our couch.”

“You should be glad he’s on the couch. You wanted him to go to bed with you. Don’t you remember?”

“Oh God.” She groan, hiding her face in her crossed arms. “I feel like death, and I made a fool of myself last night. My life sucks.”

Maria smiled again with a mixture of sympathy and amusement as she placed a glass of water and two Tylenol down on the counter.

“Here drink this, and swallow those. You’re dehydrated so you need to drink to feel better.”

Liz took the water obediently, drinking it unenthusiastically as her stomach churned alarming when the cold liquid made contact with her abused innards.

“I don’t see that you’ve that much to complain about. I can think of plenty of people that would love to have the undivided attention of Max Evans, like you did last night.”

“Just tell me one thing, did I really bump and grind on him last night like I think I did?” She squinted up at Maria through narrowed eyes.

“Oh yeah, but he didn’t seem to mind at all.”

“Crap.”

Before yesterday Max Evans had been someone she had heard of, but never met. Now, in the space of 24 hours, she had managed to crash his car, make out with him several times, once in a toilet of all places, and a vague memory of him put her to bed was slowly surfacing as well.

“How are you feeling now?”

“What? You mean apart from mortally embarrassed?”

“It’s not that bad.” Liz humphed her disagreement with Maria’s assessment of the situation.

“I still feel like death.”

“That’s because you’ve got low blood sugar.”

“Maria if you’re going to suggest that I have something to eat…”

“That’s exactly what I’m going to say.” Maria replied as she picked up a dish towel to remove a plate that was being kept hot in the oven.

“Really no, I couldn’t.”

“Morning.”

The honeyed tones of Max Evans interrupted the food debate as the he stood in the kitchen doorway wearing low slung jeans, with bare feet and chest, a looking utterly stunning.

“Hi Max,” Maria replied cheerfully, amused by the rabbit in the headlights expression on Liz’s face. The flirty vixen that had been unleashed last night appeared to have left the building.

Liz was too busy thinking, ‘I was bumping and grinding against that body last night?’, whilst trying to formulate a sensible verbal response when Maria placed a plate of eggs, bacon and pancakes down in front of her friend. When the smell of bacon hit Liz, her stomach did a double flip before she fell of the stool with her hand across her mouth and charged out of the room passed a surprised Max heading straight for the downstairs toilet bowl for a meeting with Huey.

A strong pair of very male hands, held her hair back whilst she was bent double over the toilet bowl. Liz was too busy emptying her stomach to be embarrassed about Max seeing her in such a state. After several minutes she stopped retching, but remained miserably bent over the bowl worried that it would begin again.

“Is she alright?” Maria asked from the doorway as Liz groped her hand to the top of the cistern to flush the offensive contents of the toilet away.

Max nodded behind Liz. “Could you get a glass of water, please?”

When Maria left the room, Liz managed to find her voice. “We really have to stop meeting in toilets.” She was rewarded by Max’s rich laughter, as he pulled her back against his chest and past her a damp flannel to wipe her mouth.

“I don’t know, I’ve rather enjoyed meeting you in bathrooms.”

He put the toilet seat down for her, and help her stand briefly so that she could sit down on the seat ready to take the glass of water that Maria was holding.

She took the glass willingly, swilling out her mouth first before taking a few cautious sips.

“Are you okay now,” Max asked gently. Liz smiled back at him in reply; completely unaware of the way her whole face lit up when she was speaking to him.

Maria watched the interaction between the two of them absolutely delighted by the chemistry that her best friend seemed to share with this hunk of manhood. Maybe coming back to Boston hadn’t been a mistake after all.

“Thanks, I’m better now.”

He straightened, and Liz looked up at him as she continued to take small sips of the water whilst admiring the way his muscles moved under the skin of his broad back.

“Look I’m sorry I just crashed out last night. Jet lag just caught up with me.”

“It’s not a problem.” Maria replied, “Do you want to have a shower or something?”

“Please, if you don’t mind.”

“No, knock yourself out. Up the stairs, third door on the right is our male roommate’s bathroom and bedroom. You can catch a shower in their and borrow a razor and clean shirt if you like. He won’t mind.”

He turned to Liz, “Are you going to be okay.”

“Yes. “ She replied and was astounded when he dropped a gentle kiss onto her brow before leaving the room to head up stairs.

“Oh, he’s so polite, my mother would love him. I told you. He’s seen you talking to john on the porcelain telephone and still wants to kiss you. He’s totally into you.”

“Maria, please.” Liz replied with disgust, not needing to be reminded of how gross she must look, never mind whilst she had empty her stomach in front of Max.

Maria help Liz back to her bedroom, and helped her settle back into bed once she had brushed her teeth to try to get rid of the disgusting taste in her mouth.

“Here’s the thing Maria. I don’t drink.” Liz said stating the obvious. “So just how is it that I ended up drunk with a stinking hangover.”

Maria considered how best to reply, thinking it was better to fill in the blanks for Liz rather than retell the entire story.

“Just how much do you remember of last night?”

BTW, the term that Maria uses about talking on the ‘porcelain phone’ isn’t mine. I found it in several online vomit dictionaries. I know, go figure. Just google vomit and be amazed, LOL.
Last edited by Reamhar on Tue Jun 20, 2006 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reamhar
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by Reamhar »

Thanks for the cool feedback;

Tequathisy – I was equally amazed. :shock:

roswell3053 – you bet he is, all warm and freshly showered, yum. :D

Michelle in Yonkers – regarding you brothers; chicken! And your haiku; very inspirational. ‘Hocking??’, I have no clue. I’m almost afraid to ask!! No, I don’t have brothers to further my education, but little sisters can be quite enlightening too….! :wink:

Belleoftheball – good guess. :D

Guelbebek – you bet, lots went on, and I forgot to say thank you for my very first bump. :D

begonia9508 – thanks. :D

clueless – thanks. :D

roswells_angel285 – you’re not being a pain, and here’s the bit you’ve been wanting to read. :D

LairaBehr4 – you crack me up too, :lol: You’d be surprised about Liz’s evening and Maria’s part in the events, read on. :P

Earth2Mama – thanks. :D

L-J-L 76 – I think at least 70% of your questions are answered in the next two parts. :wink:

QueenofDreamers – you’re good. :shock: Max is indeed 4 or so years older than Liz, but it has never actually been mentioned yet, so you figured it out by yourself some how. Yes, wouldn’t we all like a man to hold our hair for us, and not take the Mickey the next day either. :D

Smac – I owe it all to the vomit dictionary. :lol:

JMoore – me too. :D

Alizaleven – thanks. :D

Orphyfets – thanks. :D

Behrlyliz – thanks. :D

Part 5

“Just how much do you remember of last night?”

When Liz scrunched her face up in response to what should have been a simple question, Maria wasn’t sure if she was trying force her recall, or still in pain from her hangover. Then I horrible thought occurred. “You’re not feeling sick again, are you?”

“No, just generally feeling scuzzy, but not especially vomitie.”

“’Vomitie’, is that even a word?” Maria puzzled.

“Maria, I’m not about to puke, okay!”

“Will you trust me if I suggest something?”

“Like I trusted you with the bacon?” Maria pulled an apologetic little face.

“So long as it’s nothing to do with bacon and eggs.” Maria pulled a duh, expression in reply.

“Fine, what’s your suggestion?” Liz asked suspiciously, whilst putting a protective hand on her stomach.

“A fizzy drink; like that orangeade that Alex likes. A liquid sugar rush always works for me when I’m suffering.”

“Weren’t we talking about last night?” Liz tried a decoy response, considering the idea of a fizzy drink to be very unwise in her fragile state.

“We should do this first, honestly.” Maria deployed the puppy dog eyes and Liz, as usual, caved when the big guns came out.

“Fine.”

It only took Maria a couple of minutes to return with a glass of orangeade, the blankets from the couch and a bucket. She extended the glass of juice to a reluctant Liz, and put the bucket at the side of the bed with a shrug of, “Just in case.”

Liz took a cautious sip, and then a couple more, pleasantly surprised to find that her stomach didn’t rebel or rather expel as expected. Maria fussed around her, putting the pillow that Max had slept with behind Liz’s head and re-arranging the blankets before joining Liz on the bed, being careful to pick the opposite side from the bucket.

Whilst Maria plump and fluffed the bed for her, Liz surreptitiously, turned her head against Max’s former pillow, trying to see if it smelt of him. She wasn’t disappointed when she found the faint aroma of his citrus based aftershave lingered pleasantly on the pillow. It reminded her fuzzily of being held in his arms and moving in slow circles on the dance floor.

Maria gave her a knowing looking, and Liz blushed because she’d been caught in the act.

“How’d you feel now?”

“Strangely, okay. Do you suppose your miracle cure works on amnesia?”

“But of course!” Maria proclaimed. “So once again I find myself asking; what do you remember?”

“Quite a lot, but I would guess that the correct question is; what have I forgotten?”

Maria rolled her eyes at her friend’s ability to be obtuse even with a hangover.

“Liz, you’re stalling, get on with the recall already.”

“Well everything through the dinner seems perfectly clear……”

<center>~~~~</center>

Riding on the wave of her new found Max induced euphoria, Liz found herself standing in the family living room where everyone was collected waiting for dinner to be called. Isabel and Nancy were talking, and Jeff and Tess were standing together, slight removed from the others on the opposite side of the room.

Maria dug Liz in the ribs with her elbow and stage whispered. “Give her the back drop of some hunky men with guitars and the top hat with a veil and she could be Shania Twain.”

Liz wasn’t as sure about the country singer analogy. Tess looked like she had dressed to attending either a very smart cocktail party or a funeral wake. She was wearing a black corset top with a tight black skirt. Combined with an onyx chocker around her pale neck, and hair styled in a chignon she looked stunning as ever, but was hardly dressed for the quiet family dinner which Liz had originally planned.

“Nah, actually, she too stunted and her boobs are too small to be Shania Twain. She’d be a third rate impersonator at best.” Maria whispered again, chuckling at her own joke.

“Whatever her reasons for the outfit, she’s trying to upstage me.” Liz replied with a surprising spike of anger.

Maria stood staring at her for several seconds, and Liz ended up prompting her for a reply, perplexed by her silence. “What’s with the bug-eyed blinking?”

“Nothing, I was just waiting for you to apologies for her, or tell me that she doesn’t really mean how it seems, or some other sisterly remark. You ‘telling it how it is’ is new to me.” Liz coloured slightly, and Maria rushed to correct her embarrassment.

“Don’t get me wrong, I’m just trying to say that it suits you better than being Tess’s victim. I think you’re going to need that kind of fire tonight, so keep it up.”

How do you explain to you’re best friend who knows you better than anyone else in the world, that you don’t know yourself where your getting the strength from? Only that you know that you have to find it, or be willing to slowly lose your family.

Beautiful, confident, protective Maria, who despite coming from a broken family, still had two parents who adored her, even if Maria wasn’t on the best terms with her father. Her childhood was in stark contrast to Liz who had made being a good girl into an art form from a young age, because it often dictated how her father treated her mother. That was a lot of responsibility for a child under ten, and it had become a habit which she found difficult to shake. Oh, her father had adored her, but not in any kind of healthy way, and whilst he had never laid a finger on her physically, she still bore as many emotional scars to match the physical ones of her mother.

Liz could have tried to explain this to Maria, but she knew that her friend would react in a typically protective way, by sheltering Liz behind her own personality, shielding her from Tess. Liz, however, wanted to chose to stand out on her own.

“I have a back bone, Maria, it’s what stop me falling over when I walk.”

“You’re going to need more than back-bone, babe, I think balls of steel and a light sabre might be more like it.”

“Yes, Yoda.”

“Humour too.” Maria teased, “You’re trying lots of new things tonight.”

“Hey!”

Liz was laughing at Maria’s teasing, but at the same time tracking Tess on the other side of the room. Tess was standing with her father in a corner of the room, and as her carefully modulated tinkling laughter drifted across the space, she turning her back to Liz and the others, effectively creating a boundary around their conversation and discouraging anyone else to join in. Her posture and positioning of herself was such an analogy for the way that she had treated Liz when they lived under the same roof that Liz wanted to weep with frustration. Was she a fool to think that anything might have changed?

Maria aware of the watchfulness of Liz decided it was time to move the evening along. “So, where are you going to start, with the bitch or ice queen.”

“Maria, stop it. I know you secretly love Isabel. Anyway, it looks like Isabel’s coming over here now.”

“Ice queen it is then.” Maria replied drolly, rolling her eyes when Liz shushed her in reprimand.

<center>~~~~</center>

“You are so naughty, calling Izzy that.” Liz reproved her friend, whilst adjusting herself against her pillows, and smiling secretly when Max aftershave tickled her nostrils again.

“What? It’s a well know fact; if you want your drink kept cold, stick it against Isabel Evans’ ass.”

“Maria!” Maria was too busy laughing at her own joke to stop until she was whacked in the face with a pillow fired from short range by Liz.

“Okay, okay, I was kidding. Get on with the remembering.”

<center>~~~~</center>

Nancy approached with Isabel, and they carried out the normal pleasantries of air kisses and hellos. The hug that Isabel pulled Liz into had genuine warmth, and the same gesture was repeated with Maria.

Liz had correct to call Maria’s on her rather uncharitable description of Isabel. Her apparently coldness was a reflection of Isabels outer skin only. To the people she let in, she showed a demonstrative warmth. That fateful summer, Liz had been added to the small circle of people in Isabel’s life who got to see the real Isabel, and Liz had always been grateful for that acceptance, even though they had lost touch over time.

“Liz, heavens, it’s been forever since I last saw you. You look so different, but good, really good.”

“Coming from a model, that’s quite a compliment.” Liz replied with a slightly embarrassed laugh. Isabel as ever looked effortlessly stunning

Isabel's introduction to Liz had been as a school friend of Tess. She had attended school with Tess until her parents had divorced, then she moved to LA with her mother and twin brother Michael, only returning to Boston in the summers and other school holidays to spend time with their father Phillip.

Isabel had been quite the high school princess running in the same popular circles as Tess, and she had a tongue that could deliver an icy put down without breaking a sweat. Liz, however, had come to appreciate Isabel’s honest personality once she had let her walls downs. She was the kind of person who called it the way she saw it, not always with welcome results, but if she said Liz looked good she meant it.

“Hey, Isabel.” Maria replied neutrally, but hugging the statuesque blond with warmth anyway.

Maria and Isabel had enjoyed a rather more rocky friendship. Liz considered it to be ‘enjoyment’, because, though neither of them would ever admit to it, they enjoyed sparring with each other. Mostly the cause of the friction would be Michael. Fiercely protective of her twin and slightly possessive as well, Isabel had not always seen eye to eye with Maria regarding Michael. Michael, with his usual laconic detachment, had just left them both to get on with it by burying his nose in a book or his latest art project.

“Ex-model now.”

“I’m sorry, Isabel, I’m really behind on what everyone’s been doing.”

“Don’t worry about it. I gave it up and went back to college, finished my degree, and I run Zzy now.”

Zzy was a very upmarket boutique which stocked a range of couture and high fashion clothes as well as its own exclusive range of accessories and jewellery. Several off the large department store chains also sold a cheaper version of some of their most popular designs bring the Zzy label to the mass market.

“You working at Zzy? You’re so lucky, I love their stuff. Do you get a discount?” Maria replied with enthusiasm.

“In a manner of speaking.”

Nancy correct Maria assumption politely, “Isabel owns Zzy, Maria.”

“You’re the owner of Zzy?”

“Yes.”

“Wow. I love your stuff, honestly.”

“You should come to the boutique sometime, I’ll let you both shop at cost.”

“Ohhh, thanks.”

“Isabel, I’ve always wonder how you come up with the name.” Nancy asked, truly curious,

“When we were little Michael couldn’t say Izzy, so he called me Zzy. I thought it would be a cute name for the business.”

Now that she'd said the M word, Maria felt put on the spot, he was now part of the conversation, like an invisible hanger-on. Maria pulled an unconscious face as she considered whether to ask her next question. She was not really sure if she wanted to know the answer, but being around Isabel was bringing back old memories.

“So how is Michael these days?” Apart from a hint of a noise crinkle, she didn’t give anything else away to show that she dreading the reply.

“Oh, you know - Michael’s Michael. He’s immersed in his art as ever.”

“That's impressive. So, what school did he eventually go to?” That was a safe, non personal question, wasn’t it?

“He didn’t in the end, he moved to Europe instead. He runs his own gallery now. Well, I should say galleries, since he's about to open one in Paris.”

Maria was hoping that her face was showing casual interest rather than the relief that she was feeling. He was in another continent, she was safe.

“Liz, sweetie, Jeff’s been in his study for the last couple of hours with Max.”

“Max is here?” Isabel queried. “He must have just arrived back from London.”

Nancy agreed with Isabel’s assessment whilst still speaking to Liz, “Poor boy, he’s terribly jet lagged. I didn’t think you’d mind……”

Liz was doing her very best to hide her delight because she was sure she knew what her mother was going to say next.

“…..so I’ve asked him to join us for dinner.”

Yes!

Max Evans was the often spoken about, but never met until today older brother of Isabel and Michael. Since Liz had not known the Evans sibling until their parent’s marriage had ended in divorce, it had been when Izzy and Michael visited the father that Liz had actually met them. Max had never featured in those visits, as his relationship with his father had been rocky since the split. He’d just been Izzy and Michael’s absent older brother, and then he had left for college, so Liz and he had never met him face to face, until now.

Speaking of the handsome devil himself, and with perfect timing he appeared in the doorway. He scanned the room for several seconds, before homing in on Liz’s little group. When he caught Liz’s eye he gave her a conspiratorial smile and started to head in her direction.

As far as Liz was concerned his relaxed stroll across the room seemed to be going in slow motion, but when a small hand touched his arm and stopped his progress at the other end of the room, and then pulling him into Tess’s private party for two Liz was left with a sinking feeling. When the not normally demonstratively inclined Tess landed a solid kiss on Max’s lips followed by a lingering hug, Liz felt like someone had pulled the rug out from under her feet.

“Are you okay Liz?” Nancy asked, noticing her daughter’s suddenly wane expression.

“I’m fine, just tired. Of course Max is welcome, the more the merrier.” Liz replied, deliberately turning her back on Tess’s group.

Nancy continued to look at Liz with a perplex expression, but nevertheless let the subject drop. She excused herself to check on the food.

Isabel and Maria were now also looking at her with that expression, and Liz felt like crying. It seemed to be the story of her life, she found something, or someone she wanted to want, and Tess managed to get there first.

Maria was bursting to remind Liz that Max Evans hadn’t been Tess’s plus one, but she couldn’t deny that Tess’s greeting could be regarding as something of a smoking gun. Maria, however, had met Max before, and whilst she had considered him to be a little too intense for his own good, he had never struck as the kind of person to make out with a stranger under the nose of a girl friend, even if the girl friend was a blond haired baggage. With Isabel standing there, it was hardly a conversation that Maria could have right a that moment, and just to make it worse, the baggage in question seemed to have decided to make her way over to their side of the room.

“Look sharp, here comes blondie with Daddy. She’s staking her claim early I guess. Let the pissing contest begin.” Sure enough, Tess was walking towards them attached to Jeff like a limpet.

Isabel under stood the weird dynamic that was going on in the room better than most, since she was friends with both parties. She might not agree with the way that Tess treated Liz, but that didn’t mean that she couldn’t understand the demons that drove her friend. Isabel considered Liz to be descent person, who didn’t deserve to have been pushed out of her own family.

Isabel looked at Liz compassionately, and run her hand down her arm, trying to convey her support. “I’m going to catch up with Max.”

“Come on Liz, you can do this.” Maria murmured as the couple drew closer and in response Liz forced herself to pin a facsimile of a smile to her face

Liz had wanted to approach Tess first to prove to herself that she could carry this through, but Tess had blown idea to bits. Now Liz had to prove it to herself by surviving their first face to face contact in years, without turning into a quivering mess as a result.

Now the moment was upon her, Liz with left with absolutely nothing to say. Tess however knew what to do; you fall back on the polite society behaviours that you were raised with, and she pressed her cheek to Liz’s frozen face, and pulled back with a politely remote smile in place.

Now Liz understood. She knew the rules to this game. Tess was intending to hide behind polite indifference; her favourite behaviour and one that Tess had used many times to keep Liz at a distance.

“Hello, Tess, it’s nice to see you. How have you been?”

“Fine thank you, you? Maria, nice to see you again too.”

Maria was vibrating emotionally by Liz’s side, but managed to keep a lid on her instinctive desire to slap some of the two-faced smugness out of the blond. However, she managed a tight lipped smile in reply.

Jeff broke the awkward silence that was slowly percolating by grabbing Liz and dragging her into one of his famous bear hugs, and, feeling the slight trembling in his younger daughter’s slim frame, added two kisses for good measure.

“Welcome home sweetheart, I’m so proud of you.”

Tess didn’t quite manage to hide a flash of jealous temper that passed over her face as she watched Jeff and Liz together, and Maria saw it and responded with a smug smile of her own, which only added to Tess’s annoyance. Maria was just daring Tess to try to break up Jeff and Liz’s little home coming moment.

Max chose to join the building drama at the moment, and Tess seized her opportunity with alacrity.

“Max, you’ve met Lizzie, haven’t you?” Tess was the only person that Liz knew who could turn that affectionately used version of her name into a condescending put down, pronouncing it as though the word ‘little’ should have been before ‘Lizzie’.

Tess knew that Max and Liz had never met before, she was using the introduction as a way of showing Liz up as the outsider, but Liz had the upper hand on this one for once.

“Didn’t you know Tess, Liz and Max know each other really well?” Maria replied, whilst levelling a ‘take that bitch’ glare straight at Tess.

“That we do.” Max replied with an ironic smile which was meant just for Liz. “I wanted to say thank you for inviting me to dinner.”

“You know you’re always welcome.” Tess purred, completely missing the point; that she wasn’t the bountiful hostess on this occasion.

“I understand we’re having tex-mex?” Max continued.

“Oh yes, Liz is from little ole’ New Mexico originally.” Tess continued staying just on the right side of polite to avoid being condescending. “So we’re eating rustic tonight.”

Maria looked like she was ready to jump in again, or even onto Tess, and Liz was beginning to realise that conversation was slowly sliding towards a disaster when Max’s glorious mouth slid into a lazy smile, and distracted her when devilish humour warmed his honey coloured eyes.

“I’m looking forward to it, I like it spicy.”

Liz’s usual sharp brain seemed slow to register that he was flirting, and with her, not Tess.

DD appeared in the doorway, and announced that dinner was ready, and everyone stood, ready to move into the dining room. Liz was still trying to process Max’s behaviour within the context of what was turning into a very peculiar day in her normally ruthlessly orderly life. Was he with Tess or not? Hell if she knew, and she was beginning to wonder if she really cared.

Tess moved a step closer to Max, clearly expecting that he would take her into dinner, but when he extend his arm to Liz, and went so far as to take her hand and physically tuck it into the crook of his arm Liz decided that she didn’t really give a damn who Max was with.

As Max lead Liz away, Jeff extended his arm to Maria, apparently completely oblivious to the suddenly strained atmosphere, or the way that Tess was shooting dagger’s into Liz’s back as she walked out with Max. Maria smiled at Jeff, and stuck her nose in the air as she passed Tess, suppressing the need to skip passed Tess with glee. Liz deserved to get one over on Tess, and it looked like Max Evans had just helped her score big time.

<center>~~~~</center>

“I can’t tell you just what a special moment that was for me.” Maria crowed. Liz wasn’t so sure whether she was willing to pass judgement yet, Tess had a habit of getting her own back for small victories.

There was a knock on Liz’s bedroom door, and Liz realised that the sound of the shower had stopped several minutes ago.

Maria called, “Come in!” and a freshly showered and shaved Max appeared, wearing the same clothes from the previous night, but still managing to look delectable, if a little rumpled.

“Hi, you look better.” He smiled, showing a hint of a dimple, and Liz felt like she was going to melt all over the bed.

“Maria’s miracle cure.” She indicated the half empty glass in her hand.

“Liquid sugar rush, works every time.” Maria moved to get up. “I’ll leave you two to talk.”

“No, please don’t rush out on my account. I have a con-call to take at home in about an hour, so I need to go.”

“On a Saturday, that’s dedicated of you.” Maria replied. “Are you sure we can’t persuade you to stay.”

“Sorry, but no.”

Liz failed to keep the disappointment from her face, then a horrible thought struck her; was he just making excuses? Here it was coming. So sorry about last night. Goodbye, and have a nice life. The end. She thought gloomily.

“Liz?”

Maria nudged her shoulder to get her attention, as Max repeated her name again.

“Liz?”

“Yes, sorry, what?”

“Can I call you?”

“Yes, please.” Okay, that came out more eager that was perhaps desirable, but Max’s face broke into a smile again, so Liz guessed he didn’t mind that she wasn’t playing hard to get at all.

“Bye, sweetheart, feel better soon.” He dropped a kiss straight onto her surprised lips and left with a wave.

It really was a toss up whether Maria was more surprised or Liz, but it was Maria who found her voice first.

“You crash his car, interrupt him in the bog, get drunk off your ass and need to be put to bed by him, alone, I might add, then throw up in front of him, and he still calls you ‘sweetheart’? How’d you manage to pull that one off?”

“I have absolutely no idea, but believe me, I intend to enjoy every moment of it.”

“Wait a minute, how did you know about the car?”

Pleeezze….. you think after everything that happened last night you weren’t so trolleyed that you managed to keep a lid on that secret.”

“That’s what I’m still waiting for you to tell me. How did I get wasted?”

“All in good time, you’ll spoil the drama that I’m building.” Maria teased, but as far as Liz was concerned two could play at that game.

She bluffed back, “Look, I’m kind of tired, can we leave it for while, let me take a nap or something?”

“No way, we’re just getting to the good bits.”

“It warms my heart to know that my best friend takes such ghoulish enjoyment from my mortification.”

“Yeah, bla, bla, get on with the remembering, ‘sweetheart’!”

“Where was I?”

“Food, wine, and general merriment. Don’t try to claim amnesia about that part of the evening’s drama, you were still sober then. We’re just getting to the really good stuff.”

Liz was starting to look worried again. “You really are going to make me relive every moment of last night, aren’t you?”

“Oh yeah. I’m just bursting to explain how ‘Belly Dance Fitness for Beginners’, came into it. Lets just say your hips, bum & tum got a full work out.”

Liz groan, she knew she’d live to regret buying that DVD for Maria’s birthday, not least because she had been made to do the exercises as well.

“I knew that DVD would come back to bite me. Suddenly I’m starting to feel sick again.”

“Nah ah, you don’t get away with it that easily, you will get on with remembering the rest of the evening, including what happened with Max outside of that club! You disappeared, and I want to know what happened!”
Last edited by Reamhar on Sun Jun 25, 2006 10:08 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Reamhar
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by Reamhar »

Thanks for the lovely feedback:-

Clueless (x3) - thanks

Orphyfets - thanks, he is rather yummy, isn't he.

RhondaAnn - thanks.

Guelbebek - thanks

roswell3053 (x2) - thanks

Erina - thanks

begonia9508 - thanks

Earth2Mama (x2) - thanks

Tequathisy - thanks

Michelle in Yonkers (for more times than I can count)

behrluv32 - thanks

belleoftheball - thanks

confusedfool - thanks

QueenofDreamers - nope, not about that song. Thanks.

bluebballjumper - thanks

Elci - thanks

Mezz - thanks

Angelic – you’re right, there are lots of layers to be developed.

LairaBehr4 – thanks for the multiple bumps.

RosyLady – thanks. Okay, I know I said I would try to update this in one big chunk, but I’ve been bumped so much that I was feeling guilty, so you’re going to have to wait a little bit longer for the answer to your questions. Sorry!

Hazz – I know, it s*cks how long it’s taken me to post this.

Stargazer's Delight – Alex is coming, honestly.

POM - I’m back, LOL.

believer_evans – here’s more, don’t expire on me yet!

Clueless – thanks

Also, a huge and heart felt thanks to Hazz and Michelle in Yonkers for the beta reading of this story. The reduction in errors is entirely down to them.

There’s a scene from one of the season 3 episodes that I’ve borrowed, and extended a little. *evil grin*. I’ll acknowledge it at the end so as not to spoil the surprise.

Part 6

Liz took a firm grip of Max’s arm, admiring the strength of the well defined muscles under her fingers as he led her into the dining room. In a world that felt like it was spinning just a little, Max’s arm offered a stable anchor, but her question was; why did he keep bothering to offer it?

Sensible, controlled Liz wanted to understand what was motivating Max, so that she could carefully assess the risk he presented. However, newly emerged live for the moment Liz wanted to simply enjoy it, because, as Liz was finding, Max was a very easy person to enjoy.

Desperate for changing
Starving for truth
Closer where I started
Chasing after you

“What’s going on in that head of yours?” Max asked, intrigued by the shifting expressions on her pretty face.

Sensible Liz failed miserably to keep live for the moment Liz on her leash, and her uncensored words were out seconds later.

“I was thinking that today has been really weird, but I’m enjoying it.” When she smiled her response she had no way to know how her unfettered amusement lit up her face, or how stunning Max thought she looked.

Max knew he was in trouble that morning when he caught himself quite uncharacteristically lusting after who he thought was a teenager, and the more time he time spent with her the deeper he felt he was falling. Liz Parker was addictive.

“Me too, but I’m looking forward to seeing how it ends.”

Liz blushed in response to his gentle flirting, and in complete contradiction to her previously confident manner. Her reaction gave Max some understanding of from were his initial perception of her youth had come.

Liz was a beguiling mixture of innocence and sensuality wrapped in a delectable package which was completely natural. She had a depth of personality which attracted and confused Max, and left him wonder just who was Liz Parker?

“I’m thinking that maybe I’d like to know who you actually are before we get to that part of the evening, and I’m hoping it doesn’t end quite the way it began.” Liz rallied, and delivered her own pithy reply with a just a hint of challenge.

“Touché.”

They passed through the doorway of the dining room, and Liz stopped to admire the attractive, but simply laid table. She recognised her mother’s hand and its elegant informality, because DD, if left to her own devices, would have had the table set with the finest china, crystal and place cards.

Tonight it was simply dressed with plain china and silverware, and a few carefully positioned church candles. The candles produced a small island of warm light in the otherwise dimly lit room, and made the imposingly large dining room seem cosy and intimate.

I'm falling even more in love with you
Letting go of all I've held onto
I'm standing here until you make me move
I'm hanging by a moment here with you

“So, you’re Max Evans.”

“All my life to date.”

“What I meant to say is, I know Izzy and Michael really well, but we’ve never met.”

“I’m the black sheep of the family, the one that’s always spoken about, but never allowed in polite circles.”

“And yet here you are, out in polite circles.” She parried with a cheekily cocked eye brow.

“That was your first mistake today.” His little smile had widened, causing the corner of his eyes to crinkle up attractively and showing just a hint of a dimple. Liz decided that his smiles should most definitely come with a health warning.

“My first of today you say? That’s very kind of you in the circumstances

“It’s my pleasure.”

Liz was considering whether it might be over kill to say it was also ‘her pleasure’, when Max withdrew his arm to pull out a chair from the table.

She decided instead to probe for an answer to her number one question; was there any connection between his attendance this evening and Tess? Or, for that matter, was their any connection between him and Tess at all? Because, from the first moment Liz had heard the name Max Evans, he had always been linked to Tess. Starting with that damned friendship bracelet.

“So you and Tess are friends?”

“Tess and I are old friends; I’ve known her since I was a teenager.”

His reply seemed genuine enough, but then ‘old friends’ could mean many things including fuck buddies. The idea really bugged Liz, even if it did seem rather irrationally illogical since she barely knew Max.

Liz moved naturally to accept the proffered seat that Max had pulled out from the table, but was left standing looking foolish when Tess slid into the seat first.

“Thank you, honey.” Tess smiled brightly at Max, before talking directly to a startled Liz, completely unaware that she was sounding like a stuck record.

“Max and I are special friends Liz, I guess we’ve never really wanted to share, because you’ve never met, have you?”

Forgetting all I'm lacking
Completely incomplete
I'll take your invitation
You take all of me

Maria was, as usual, on hand to rescue the situation. “Or is it because he left for college that summer? I wonder?” Maria replied dryly, before tugging Liz into another seat.

“Thanks ‘honey’.” Max replied sarcastically directly to Tess, causing the blond in question to giggle almost nervously.

Jeff was the last to come to the table, and he took his normal position at the head of the long walnut table. Liz sat with Maria on one side and Nancy on the other, and Max sat opposite flanked by Isabel and Tess.

Even though Maria’s timely intervention had saved Liz an embarrassing moment, Liz recognised Maria’s motivations. She was deliberately attempting to separate her from Max because she was being protective. The problem was Liz didn’t want protected tonight. She’d stumbled upon her first real experience of vivid attraction to a rather fine specimen of the opposite sex, and he seemed to be equally interested.

Liz’s sensible Liz voice whispered quiet doubts; perhaps a little physical distance was a good idea. Simultaneously live for the moment Liz was supporting her desire to sit on his lap with cheerleader like enthusiasm.

Noting that Tess was sitting between Jeff and Max, Liz tried to project a calm expression whilst trying to quell the unkind voice that said, that in a room full of women, Tess had managed to be sandwiched between the only men.

Maria, however, was less inclined to censor her feeling about Tess, and knew exactly what her friend was thinking. She expressed her thoughts with a muttered, “True to type as ever.”

Whilst the first course was being served by one of the house maids, Liz tried to take a sneaky peak at Max without alerting Maria’s early warning system. She was disappointed to find him concentrating on something that Tess was saying in a whispered voice, punctuating her words with gentle touches of her pale hand against his arm, or with a flirtatious flip of hair or tilt of her head.

Liz watched Max pick up his fork, and direct Tess’ attention to the plate of mini chimichangas that had been placed in front of her, before spooning a healthy helping of green tomato salsa onto his own plate. Tess was forced to surrender her hold on his arm, an action which made Liz want to cheer, as Tess poked at the tortillas unenthusiastically with her fork whilst crinkling her nose daintily in distaste. Max didn’t seem to share Tess’ reticence, and was hungrily working his way through the first of the tortillas with every sign of culinary enjoyment whilst chatting to Isabel about his latest trip.

Now I'm falling even more in love with you

Tess moved on from poking her food as though she was worried it was going to jump of the plate and bite her, to picking at the tossed salad the accompanied the appetiser.

“What’s the matter, Tess? Too spicy for you?” Maria asked with a challenging smile, and followed by a confident mouthful of the spicy salsa. “Mm-mm, Liz, this is really tasty.”

“I’m on a diet; this is a little too stodgy for my taste.” Tess replied, popping some lettuce into her mouth as though to underline the point.

“Ah,” Maria replied, “I guess we all have to watch out for those saddle-bags.”

“No, not at all. Some of us are just a little choosier about what we put in our bodies.” Tess replied coolly, making it clear to her arch-nemesis that she wasn’t going to be drawn that easily.

“Maria is right, honey, this is delicious.” Jeff said with a loving smile at his younger daughter.

“It’s one of Grandma Claudia’s recipes.” Liz replied, happy to have Maria’s verbal poking of Tess interrupted.

Liz decided that the conversation needed to be put back onto a more positive footing before Tess and Maria came to blows before the main course.

“So, Tess, how’s work been? Mom said that you’d managed to expand your client base already.”

Just for the briefest of seconds surprise registered on Tess’ face to have Liz speak to her directly, and on a subject that favoured Tess.

“Yes, it’s going well. I’ve taken on several new clients recently, including a couple of medium sized corporate entities, but I’m still doing a lot of small projects too.”

“My Tess is turning into quite a little entrepreneur.” Jeff said, proud of Tess’ achievements with the steady expansion of her freelance PR work. He was less aware that his indulgent compliment could also be taken to be slightly condescending.

Liz tried to correct his mistake automatically, and earned a small glare from Tess for her efforts. “You seemed to be dealing with some very interesting clients”

“Didn’t you say you were promoting a new night club?” Nancy asked.

“Yes, it’s a very exciting project; the club is doing very well since the launch.” Tess replied, relaxing into the subject.

The plates where cleared away, and serving of the main course began with a beef chilli served with rice and selection of vegetable side dishes. The food seemed to be a success, with even Tess eating some of what was put down in front of her as Jeff refocused the conversation back towards Max.

I'm living for the only thing i know
I'm running and not quite sure where to go
I don't know what I'm diving into
Just hanging by a moment here with you

“How was the trip to London, Max?”

“Hectic, but successful.”

“Do you have to travel a lot for your job? Sounds glamorous.” Maria asked, curious to know more about what Max had been up to since they last met.

“Once you’ve travelled for a while hotels and airports lose their appeal. Between meetings and preparing for meetings, there isn’t much time to see anything of where I’m visiting. I’ve exhausted my wander lust I think, I enjoy being home now.”

Jet lag from travelling certainly explained the dark circles under his eyes, Maria concluded.

“So home is Boston for you now?”

“Yes.”

His answer brought some relief to Maria. Liz seemed to be very interested in Max, so it gave Maria some comfort to know that he was at least geographically available. However, the possessive way that Tess handled Max bothered Maria. To Maria Max had always appeared to be a straight up enough guy to remain faithful to a significant other. So perhaps the hands off vibes that Tess was sending were entirely one-sided.

Maria was wracking her brains to remember what he had studied, when Jeff questioned Max again.

“So a successfully uneventful trip for our resident jaded traveller.”

Max laughed, “I wouldn’t say that it was completely uneventful. Actually I had a bit of an adventure in my car this afternoon.”

Maria was surprised to see Liz stiffen at Max’s amused reply.

No, no, no! He could not be going to tell them now, but what could she do without drawing even more attention to the subject being discussed? Liz’s problem was that she was sitting directly opposite Max rather than by his side where she could have reached his hand or something to give him some sort of physical warning that he needed to zip it.

Her only hope was if she could kick him under the table, but she was wearing stiletto heeled boots and she didn’t want injury to be added to the list of crazy things that had happened between them today. She squirmed around with one foot against another trying to push the calf hugging leather down her leg to leave one foot bare, all the while dreading her father’s next words.

“Oh yes Max, what sort of adventure was that?”

There's nothing else to lose
Nothing left to find
There's nothing in the world
That could change my mind
There is nothing else
There is nothing else...

The boot slipped off her foot and bouncing under the table, landing against Maria’s sandal clad foot. It was now or never for Liz. The last thing she needed was Tess being given ammunition to use against her in the form of incompetent driving, or Tess’ inner green eyed monster being further agitated by Jeff’s inevitable over protective father routine.

Liz struck out at him under the table, aiming for a soft nudge against the ankle, but he didn’t seem to notice, save to shift in his seat. A little more desperately and with much more force, Liz tried again.

Maria mean while, lifted the table cloth a little, trying to see what had bumped against her foot in time to see Liz’s aim going much further north of the border than intended, landing against Max’s thigh, several inches above his knee. Max, Liz and Maria all froze at the same moment.

Other than the slight stiffening of his posture, Max gave nothing else to indicate that he had a foot dangerously close to his crotch. Liz was an entirely different story, as she looked like she was about to expire. Her embarrassment told him that her foot several inches from his manhood hadn’t been intended as a come on. It wasn’t clear exactly what her intention had been if she wasn’t trying to play footsie.

When Maria started to choke as though her dinner had gone down wrong, Max concluded that Maria had witnessed her friend’s error, and drawn her own conclusions. Still it seemed to be too good an opportunity to pass by. He subtly let his hand slide under the table to cup Liz’s small foot in his large hand, and his fingers began slowly massaging it will tortuously slow circular movements.

“Are you okay Maria?” Nancy asked as her niece gasped and flashed red in the face.

Maria gulped down some water and managed to compose herself enough to reply, “Yes, fine.”

Maria wasn’t brave enough to look under the table to see what was happening now, but judging by the look of devilment on Max’s face and slightly slack jawed reaction from her friend, who did not appear to have retracting her foot, Max must be up to something in response to her overture.

“Yes, Liz knows something about it.” Max continued, intending to tease her further.

“Oh really?” Tess replied sudden paying more attention to the weird vibe that seemed to be going on between Max and Liz.

“Oh, yes.”

Max was surprised to see Liz’s big brown eyes looking wary the moment Tess came into the conversation. She seemed to suddenly be extremely uncomfortable and vulnerable, and he instinctively felt the need to offer her protection.

Max looked at Liz directly, one eyebrow slightly cocked in questions, and she shook her head in negative response to his unanswered question. The car accident was not a subject that she wanted to be discussed now.

Desperate for changing
Starving for truth
Closer where I Started
Chasing after you

“We talked about it earlier.” He replied smoothly, ending the subject of Liz and the car, before turning to reply to Jeff’s earlier question.

“I had a slight fender bend this afternoon. It was nothing major, just some one backing out of a space that didn’t see me.”

“In your BMW?” Tess asked, “How can anyone miss a car that large. They must have been blind or incompetent. Really some people shouldn’t be allowed onto the road.”

Maria was still trying to covertly watch what was going on between Liz and Max, and was surprised to see Liz look annoyed in response to Tess’ diatribe about driving. It was interesting, because as much as it surprised Maria that Liz even bother to get annoyed at all to this line of drivel from Tess, what was even stranger was the way that Max, in response to her anger, seemed to be trying to sooth Liz. Presumably whilst still holding her foot? Maria had expected this meal to get a little funky in places, but that was just plain weird.

“It may have been a genuine accident.” Jeff replied neutrally.

Nancy had a slightly perplexed look on her face when she added her voice to Jeff’s opinion. “I’m sure that was all it was.”

She looked towards Liz with an open query on her face, but Liz didn’t notice her mother’s question because she was far too busy staring at Max. The slightly flushed expression on Liz’s face, added to the intense way that Max was staring back at Liz equalled a shared secret in Nancy’s opinion involving the ‘fender bender’ that Liz had alluded to earlier in the evening.

“I believe that it’s people like that for whom taxis were invented.”

What Maria had witnessed was true, whilst Tess talked, Max sent Liz a calming smile, and changed the way his fingers were teasing her foot into a more calm stroking, which ended in a gentle squeeze and the return of her appendage much to Liz’s relief.

“It was an accident Tess, nothing more. The damage to my car was minimal, so I’m not evening looking for compensation.”

Maria’s eyes rounded. There it was again, Max was apparently talking to Tess whilst looking straight at Liz, effectively talking to her directly.

“People make mistakes, Tess.” As with Max, Liz was talking to Tess, but looking at Max. “I think as long as they are genuinely sorry for the mistake and willing to pay for any damage caused, then the matter should be settled at that.”

Tess reacted with unguarded annoyance. “You’re far to perfect to do anything like crash a car, so you would say that.”

Maria instantly jumped in defence of Liz. “Yes, that’s right how many times did you crash your car when you had your learners permit, Tess? Twice, no let me see, three times was it?”

Liz clamped her hand onto Maria’s thigh and squeezed asking her to stop.

I'm falling even more in love with you

An awkward silence fell over the table before Jeff started off a new topic of discussion and non-threatening small talk began to fill the void. Ten minutes or so passed in quiet conversation before Jeff tapped his fork against his wine glass as champagne flutes were served.

“As I’m sure you are all aware, Liz and the lovely Maria have both just graduated from UNM, and in what was problem the worst kept secret in the world, came here tonight to break some very special news.”

“Thanks Mom.” Maria chimed in, causing Liz and Nancy to laugh as they both knew that Amy had let that particular cat out of the bag.

“So, just to make it official I’m delighted to be able to tell you that Maria and Liz have decided to settle here in Boston.”

“So if you could please raise your glasses.” Jeff raised his glass towards Liz and Maria, “To Maria and Liz.”

“I would also like to propose a toast to my beautiful daughter Liz to say, welcome home darling, and welcome to the firm.”

“To Liz.”

The clinking of glasses was interrupted by a loud squeal from Tess, who sprang away from the table apparently wearing her drink. Jeff and Nancy immediately jumped up to help, and the toast was effectively abandoned.

Maria watched the pantomime that was occurring around Tess with a sceptical eye. Like Liz, she thought that the timing was just a little too convenient to be an accident.

Maria leaned over, and whispered to Liz, “Just how did she manage to miss a mouth that big?” Liz stifled an inappropriate and slightly nervous giggle.

Liz fumbled around under the table to pull her boot back on. She was pretty sure, that in moments like these you need a boot on each foot to avoid looking stupid. She was nervous because she had come to a decision to face Tess one on one before the evening descended into any further manufactured chaos, and now was the time.

As the house staff efficiently cleared away remains of the meal, Tess continued to fuss over the wet patch on her dress.

“I’m just going to go to the rest room, and wipe this.”

“If you want to change, Tess, I’ll have DD clean this up for you.”

“No, really, it won’t stain, I just need to give it a clean, Isabel can help me.” Tess turned around expecting to find Izzy standing ready to offer assistance, and even readier to hear the diatribe on the subject of Liz Parker that she had wanted to get off her ample chest in the privacy of the bathroom. With Nancy looking like she was going to argue, Tess stood up to facilitate her exit from the room.

I'm living for the only thing I know
I'm running and not quite sure where to go
I don't know what I'm diving into
Just hanging by a moment here with you

Maria looked up from adding cream to her coffee, “Can’t she just let it go already?”

The only problem was, Liz wasn’t there to hear the comment, because she was standing on the other side of the table where Tess was expecting Izzy to be, ready to escort her to the bathroom were they could talk alone.

“Liz?” Maria surprised cry of her friend’s name caught Max’s attention and drew it over to where spilt drink party for 3 was continuing at the other end of the table.

“Let me help you.” Liz said quickly, position herself in such a way that Tess had to step away from the table and move towards the door, or risk making herself look foolish.

Maria had to stop herself from jumping up from the table and following them out of the room. Tonight was supposed to be about taking baby steps towards re-establishing Liz’s contact with Tess. Liz leaving the room alone with Tess was more like doing the elephant stomp. And just why was Max Evans looking at Liz as she left the room with such approval in his eyes? What did he have to approve of? Never mind, how the hell had he ended up in a lip lock with Liz, someone he had never met before, in a bathroom of all places? With too many questions and not enough answers, Maria could feel a headache coming on.

Just hanging by a moment
Hanging by a moment..
Hanging by a moment...
Hanging by a moment here with you

(Hanging on a Moment – Lifehouse)

<center>~~~~</center>

“That bathroom certainly did a brisk trade last night. “I’m just wondering if Tess realised what you were up to with her ‘special friend’?”

“God, don’t remind me, what a place to have a first kiss.”

“So you weren’t kidding when you said you’d been working on your love life.”

“No, why? Didn’t you believe me.”

“Given the circumstance, do you blame me? Seeing, and believing don’t necessarily go together.”

“And you think your behaviour with Michael was any more believable?”

“Okay, move along, next topic.” Liz laughed as Maria assumed her ‘speak to the hand’ position to stop the subject of Michael being explored any further.

<center>~~~~</center>

Liz followed a silent Tess down the hall towards a downstairs bathroom, and into the white and turquoise tiled room, surprised that they had gotten this far without protest from Tess.

The silence continued within the room, where the only sounds were of both their breathing and the scrubbing noise of Tess using a flannel on the front of her dress with unnecessary vigour. It was only then that Liz realised that Tess’ breathing was much more rapid than normal. Liz’s big sister was nervous.

“This wasn’t the way I wanted tonight to be, Tess.”

Tess’ frantic scrubbing slowed, and eventually stopped, but she continued to stand with her back to Liz.

“Yes, well, we don’t always get what we want.”

Reflected in the wall mirror for the briefest of moments Liz thought she saw regret in Tess’ expression. The frantic scrubbing was replaced with a more in control dabbing, and with it her expression smoothed out.

“What is it that you want to say to me Liz?”

“I’ve come home, and I’m here to stay, but I’m not doing it to be in some sort of competition with you. I’m sorry that it ended up that way in the past, but I don’t think it was because of anything that I deliberately set out to start.”

“So?”

“If you have something to say to me before we put a line under this, here’s your chance. No one else is here. No parents or friends. Talk to me, tell me what I did that made you hate me so much?”

Tess met Liz’s gaze in the mirror, but her eyes showed absolutely no emotion; her expression mask like. She began to check her makeup, smoothing a finger over her eye brow and wiping away an invisible smudge of lip stick before she bothered to reply.

“Draw your line. I have nothing to say. I can’t give you an answer to a question that I’ve never thought to ask. We were children; it’s just the way it was.”

And that apparently was all that Liz Parker’s tormentor had to say on the subject; that she had nothing to say. Liz with filled with an uncomfortable mixture of anger and hurt.

She had expected Tess to express something; continued animosity or, in her wilder fantasies, remorse. What she had never considered was the prospect that Tess could feeling nothing at all about an experience which had shaped Liz’s teenager years so profoundly. The admission was like an emotional slap in the face.

Focusing on the only positive emotion that was churning around inside her, Liz let the anger direct her reply, “I need you to understand something. I’m home now to stay. I don’t need you to like me or even to love me as a sister, but you do need to understand that I’m not going to leave again. I won’t run from this again.”

Tess once again met her sister’s emotions with a blank mask, even her usual indifference was absent. “We should go, the others are waiting.” And with a steady click-click of stiletto heels on marble floors, Tess retreated down the hallway leaving Liz to follow slowly in her wake.

<center>~~~~</center>

“She actually said that to you?”

“Yes.”

“Bitch.”

“Apparently, and then of course we come to your wig out.”

“I did rather over react, didn’t I.”

“Just a little.”

“Okay, okay, you can stop laughing now!”

“Accept the shame Maria, accept the shame.” Liz giggled in reply to the disgruntled expression on her cousin’s face.

<center>~~~~</center>

Liz was walking back towards the dining room when a feminine hand appeared from a door way and dragged her inside, slamming the door behind Liz and engulfing her in darkness.

“Maria?”

“How’d you know it was me?”

Liz groped around against the wall until she found the light switch. “You are the only person I know who would drag me into a broom closet in a house with 30 other rooms to choose from.” Liz replied dryly.

“I didn’t want us to be interrupted.”

“I’m sure we won’t be, unless one of the maids needs a broom.”

“Don’t you change the subject missy.” Maria replied poking Liz in the chest.

“What subject? You’re being baffling, Maria, even for you.” Liz replied, pushing Maria’s hand away. “Have you had too much wine?”

“Nah ah, you’re not ducking out of this one.”

“What one!” Liz replied exasperated, but recognising the signs that Maria was winding herself up into a melt down of epic proportions. “What are you talking about?”

You! You playing footsie with Isabel’s big brother under the same table that your parents were sitting around. Maybe I didn’t get the memo, but ‘hello’ you don’t act like that. I knew coming back to Boston was a mistake. All the pressure, meeting up with Tess again, it’s cracked your brain or something.”

“That wasn’t intentional.” Liz defended.

“There’s no way that your foot in his crotch could ever be an accident.”

“You’d be surprised.”

“Horrified more like it.”

Normally, Liz would have placidly accepted Maria’s feedback, but tonight she was strangely not in the mood for being pick up on something that Maria was capable of doing herself.

“Need I remind you of the ‘Michael and Maria’ at McDonalds incident?”

“Don’t change the subject. Also, just what were you thinking being on your own with her like that?”

Liz made a huffing sound, and replied a little more sarcastically that she meant. “That we needed to talk to clear the air away from everyone else?”

Liz’s reply only seemed to frustrate Maria more. “You see? This isn’t you Liz. What’s going on?”

Liz took several seconds to collect her thoughts together. She needed Maria to understand and support her in this because passively accepting being told who she was and how she was expected to behave was habit that that Liz was determined to break. Otherwise, what was the point of trying to make a fresh start in Boston?

“Maria, you’ve been after me for years to get more of a life. Put myself out there, connect with people. Hell, my therapist was saying the same thing when I was thirteen. Well, I’m connecting with him, and I have to say, doing it under Tess’s nose is a bit of a buzz.”

“Liz, this isn’t you.”

“You keep saying that, and maybe it isn’t, but maybe it’s who I could have been had things been different.”

“I’ve been a spousal abuse survivor, a door-mat teenager, and a solicitous law student. What all of those roles had in common is that they were imposed on me. Don’t get me wrong, I also accepted them willing, but this is a new start, and I want to chose who I’m going to be.”

“I’m having fun, I’m hurting nobody. Can’t you just let me out of my box for a little while without rushing to shove me back with all the labels? Please?”

Maria looked torn. She wanted to let Liz enjoy her new found freedom, but the protective part of her was worried she was just reacting to being back within Tess’ confusing influence.

“Babe, if you decided to be mad cat lady out of the Simpson I’d still stand by you. You’re going to have to give me a chance to adjust, Liz Parker in her new role of sassy flirt is going to take a bit of getting used to, but I’ll work on it, for you. Alex is the one you’re going to have to worry about. Don’t tell you I didn’t warn you if he goes all ‘big brother’ on you.”

Liz let out a breath that she hadn’t realised that she was holding; she had Maria’s support. Anything was possible with Maria on her side.

“I’ve always tried to be a good girl, Maria, for my father, Jeff, with Tess even though she made my life hell. Maybe I want to be a little bit bad for once.”

Maria pulled Liz into a supportive hug, but her underlying concerns still remained. “You go for it.”

“Can we get out of this closet now?”

“Yes.” Calmer now, Maria had the grace to blush at their location as she stuck her head out into the corridor to check that the coast was clear before leaving the room.

<center>~~~~</center>

Liz was trying so hard to stop laughing that her face had gone red, as Maria tried to regain some dignity over the previous night’s adventures.

“Let’s just forget about the closet part.”

“I’ll forget about the closet if you forget about the foot incident for perpetuity.”

“Can I have that translated for the non lawyer’s amongst us?”

“That it’s stricken from your memory forever, never to be brought up again.”

“Deal.”

<center>~~~~</center>

Maria explained why they were not returning to the dining room as they progressed down the corridor. “Everyone’s back in the sitting room, I think it’s time for the graduation present.”

“Super, I wonder what Tess is going to throw over herself to stop that speech being finished.” Liz muttered, making Maria laugh in response.

“I bet she’d like to throw Max over herself, even if there wasn’t a speech.”

“You noticed that too?”

“Of course. I haven’t seen anything on his side to indicate that it’s reciprocated.”

“You really thing so?” Liz asked just a little too eager for a positive response, and Maria had to hold back the worried words of caution that came to mind. Liz wanted out of her box, so Maria was determined to respect her wishes and not burden her with doubts at this stage.

“I’m pretty sure. The body language is wrong for them to be intimate. Sure, she’s all over him, but he never really touch’s her back in the same way.”

They came abreast of the sitting room door and could see everyone relaxing with coffees. Just peaking out from behind Nancy’s chair was a large, brightly wrapped box.

On the sofa opposite their parents, Tess was sitting as close as it was possible to be to Max without sitting on his lap. Max seemed oblivious and instead was listening intently to Isabel.

Genuinely Liz didn’t have a clue how this evening was going to end, but when Max looked over when she entered the room with a warm smile, she knew she wanted it to end with Max and the promise of future time spent together.

When Maria nudged her none to subtly, to indicate that Jeff had been asking her a question whilst she’d been swimming in the honey depths of Max’s eyes, she forced herself back to reality, and the matter in hand. Just what was in that box?

Okay the part mentioned at the end is from the episode Crash
Reamhar
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by Reamhar »

Thanks for the feedback

begonia9508 :D

clueless :D

Earth2Mama :D

roswell3053 :D

tequathisy - Maria and Michael are going to be covered soon. Very soon :wink:

behrluv32 - nope, not wishful thinking, honest! :wink:

RhondaAnn :D

LairaBehr4

LairaBehr4 wrote:Ooooh, sexy foot-massaging Max ... definitely a keeper. Why did Liz let him walk out the front door again? Cuz I definitely thing chaining him to the bed would have been a better option.

LOL, I'll make sure to write Liz buying chains next time she's in a hardware shop. :lol:

guelbebek :D

sylvia37 - you left feedback for my little story? *thump* (passes out in amazement) LOL Just kidding, but I love all you fics. Burning to Feel is particularly awesome. :D

RosyLady :D

Hazz :D

And huge thanks again to Hazz and Michelle in Yonkers who are the Betas for this story.

Part Seven

Liz and Maria’s entry to the sitting room caused Jeff Parker to pull the brightly wrapped gift box onto his lap with a grin, which widened when Maria began clapping her hands in excitement.

“Prezzies! This is always my favourite part!”

Liz as usual found Maria’s enthusiasm infectious and walked over to her father to collect the present.

“Anyone would think that the present was for you.” There was a smile on Tess face as she spoke, but it did nothing to hide the condescension in her voice as she addressed Maria.

“Well, actually.” Jeff with pulled his hand out from the side of his chair and produced a smaller gift wrapped box and presented it to Maria.

Maria threw an ‘Eat dirt, bitch’ glare over her shoulder as she accepted the gift, but was startled by the look of pure malevolence on Tess’ face directed at Liz as she sat at Jeff’s feet to open her own present.

Why couldn’t Tess let Liz have even one short moment of time with Jeff without turning green with jealousy? As far as Maria was concerned, and despite what Liz might want to believe, Tess hadn’t changed one bit.

<i>
You could be right and I’ll be real
honesty won't be a pain you'll have to feel
'cause I don't need your approval to find my worth
I’ve been trapped inside of my own mind
afraid to open my eyes to what I’d find
I don't want to live like this anymore </i>

Liz was happily oblivious, and carried on attacking the parcel energetically. Rather like Russian Dolls the first box led to another, then another. By the time she had hit the fifth box, Liz sat back on her heals smelling a rat.

“Come on guys, what’s going on?”

“You’ve got one more to go,” Nancy encouraged.

Liz continued to break into the final box as Maria thanked Nancy and Jeff for the beautifully presented wooden art box containing an expensive set of watercolour paints and accessories.

“Whose idea was this?” Liz asked.

“Oh, it was a team effort,” Jeff laughed, exchanging a secret smile with Nancy.

Every eye in the room was now riveted to Liz, except Tess who was inspecting her finger nails very carefully.

“Okay, and it’s a scarf?” Liz said, pulling one of her mother’s favourite chiffon scarves from the box and holding it in her hand with building confusion.

Nancy drew Liz to her feet. “I’ll take that.” She reached to take the scarf from Liz and tied it loosely around her eyes.

Now thoroughly confused, Liz’s felt someone take her hand and begin to guide her slowly out of the room, down the hall and outside to the front porch. The feeling of the warm night air against her bareback and the crunch of gravel under her feet were the first indication to Liz that she was standing outside.

Maria squealed loudly somewhere to her left, and Liz pulled the blindfold off, eager to see what all the fuss was about.

“Oh my God!”

Tied up with a scarlet red bow stood a metallic black, fully loaded Honda CRV SUV with vanity plates which included her initials. Jeff opened the driver’s door with a flourish and a waft of new car smell and leather upholstery drifted out of the interior.

Liz shook her head absolutely at a loss for words, and mortified to feel her eyes tearing up. It wasn’t the expensiveness of the gift that hit her, because the cost wouldn’t really have impacted her parents. It was the months of undercover investigation that had gone into picking her dream car. Model, colour, interior finish; everything. Both Jeff and Nancy lived busy lives, and a lot of effort had gone into making sure that this was Liz’s perfect surprise present.

“I really don’t know what to say. Thank you so much.”

Liz hugged Jeff and then Nancy.

“We thought we’d give you an upgrade on Henry.”

Liz felt a pang of guilt about her faithful little wounded friend who was hidden away in a garage at the back of the house.

“And maybe that might help with today’s excitement,” Nancy said with a secret smile.

Jeff dropped the keys into Liz’s hand and a kiss onto her cheek. “You’re all ready to go. It’s fully insured for the next 12 months, and Maria’s covered as well.”

“Thanks, dad.”

Nancy returned to Jeff’s side, and he put an arm around her shoulders. “I think it’s perhaps time for the old-timers to leave the youngsters to the rest of the evening. The night is still young.”

Tess seemed to perk up for the first time that evening, and animatedly wished Jeff and Nancy goodnight.

<i>
There goes my pain
there goes my chains
did you see them fall
there goes this feeling that has no meaning
there goes the world off of my shoulders
there goes the world off of my back
there it goes

You can't change me
you can't break me
</i>

“So Liz, the night is young. What would you like to do?” Isabel asked.

“I don’t know.”

“You could come back to my house, how about some good wine and conversation?”

“Just because you’re staying whilst your apartment is being decorated, doesn’t make it your house, Iz,” interrupted Max. “But you are all, of course, welcome.”

Liz perked up perceptibly to be offered an opportunity to spend more time with Max in his natural environment.

“No,no! We can’t go to your stuffy old house, Max! Far too grown up.” Tess replied with a coquettish roll of her eyes. “I know, with Liz’s car we could go off-roading.”

Tess’ tinkling laughter grated on Liz’s nerves, but she let it pass, finding solace in the knowledge that Tess’ nose was just out of joint. Given that she had received a Mercedes convertible as her graduation present, Liz didn’t think she had anything to bitch about.

“Or, we could go to the hippest new nightclub in down town Boston.” Tess continued, brandishing a platinum VIP card for a night club called Kasbah between her scarlet tipped fingers as though it was the answer to all their entertainment desires for the evening.

“I haven’t been there yet, sounds like a plan,” Isabel added, thinking that anything was better than hanging about on Jeff Parker’s front step like a bunch of no-hopers.

Maria could see where this was going. Tess had picked a nightclub as being the least likely place that Liz would agree to attend. Dancing and drinking weren’t exactly Liz’s favourite pastimes. Particularly drinking, which had been a no, no for her because of her father’s alcoholism and the havoc it had wreaked on her home life.

“I think that Liz should be the one who decides, it is her evening after all,” Max replied, bringing a pout to Tess’ mouth.

Tess had a politely shocked expression on her face that said that she’d forgotten about Liz momentarily because she was just that <i>unimportant</i>.

“Oh, Liz, I forget that clubbing isn’t exactly your sort of thing.” More pouting punctuated the sentence. “The club is so good. It seems a pity to miss it, but of course if you don’t want to go, that would be fine.”

Liz decided that Tess must be pretty confident that she would say no, since she was laying it on so thick, and she decided to shoot Tess down. Just for the hell of it.

Tess turned to Isabel as though the matter had been settled with the exclusion of Liz and Maria. “We’d need to go back to my house so that I can change, then…”

<i>
Does it scare you that I can be something different than you
would it make you feel more comfortable if I wasn't
you can't control me
you can't take away from me who I am </i>

“I’d love to go.”

“We’d love to go.”

Maria and Liz spoke at the same time. Liz, just for the hell of it, and Maria because she thought that Liz wouldn’t do it for herself.

Liz had to admire Tess for her composure. If being thwarted had annoyed her, she kept it under wraps successfully.

“Okay, fine. I mean, good. We’ll need to take two cars.” She regarded Liz’s new car as though it was a shiny death trap waiting to ensnare her in its jaws.

“I need to change. So why don’t you and Maria head out, and we’ll meet you there.”

There it was again. The proprietary manner in which she assumed Max would fall in line with her arrangements. Maria didn’t like it one bit. Was there some reason that Tess felt she had the right, because they were involved? Maria decided to stage a little experiment.

Despite the fact that she had seen that a SAT NAV had been including along with every other conceivable toy in the new car, Maria decided that playing dumb would be a good ploy.

“We don’t know where it is.” Maria directed this remark to Max and followed through on her helpless female act with a worried frown and wide Bambi eyes as a full stop.

“I can show you,” Max replied. “Isabel can help you with you with you outfit swap, and we’ll meet you there.”

Now Tess was starting to look rattled. “But you’ll need my VIP card to get in.”

<i>
Have you ever felt that your only comfort was your cage
you’re not alone I have felt the same as you
have you felt like your secrets give you away
you're not alone I have been there too
everyone is looking and everyone is laughing
but I think everyone feels the same
everybody wants to feel okay
everybody wants to
everybody wants to feel </i>

“There’s a Sports Bar next door. We’ll meet you there.”

“Fine. “ Tess left with Isabel in something of a hurry as she marched off across the gravel towards her car.

Liz still couldn’t quite believe that Maria had managed to pull that one off. When Max put his hand on her back to guide her towards the car, she shivered delicately as his thumb made contact with the bare skin of her back just above the fabric of her top. She followed his lead and climbed into the driver’s seat as he held the car door open.

Maria was chuckling evilly as she deliberately opted to sit in the back behind Liz, because after all, Max needed to be able to give Liz directions.

Before Max got into the car, she took the opportunity to whisper to Liz. “Sports Bar? That’s going to limit Tess’ wardrobe options. I’ll bet ten bucks that she’s packing a tazer for self-protection because she’ll have to mix with the great unwashed if she wants to meet Max there.”

“Well ladies, as Jeff said, ‘the night is young,’ so why don’t we start enjoying it?”

Liz twisted in her seat to look at Max. “You must be jet-lagged Max, are you sure you want to stay out?”

“Miss Parker, are you trying to get rid of me?”

Despite herself, Liz blushed, and then blushed even more because she sounded too eager again. “No! Of course not.”

“Well then, let’s get going.”

<i>There goes my pain
there goes my chains
did you see them fall
there goes this feeling that has no meaning
there goes the world off of my back

'Cause you can't change me you can't break me
there goes the world off of my back 'cause i don't it

<u>Quasimodo – Lifehouse</i></u>

Isabel was taking the opportunity to touch up her makeup whilst Tess got changed when she heard and angry scream and smashing glass. Surprise or shock should have been Isabel’s reaction to this violent event, but she was she felt neither. Isabel was more relieved than anything else. Tess had been altogether too quiet since they had made the short journey to Tess’ home in the grounds of the main house. Since Tess wasn’t a quiet sort of a person, Isabel had been expecting some sort of outburst.

Isabel walked through to the living room, and surveyed the smashed remains of a wine glass in the fireplace along with Tess’ red face and heavy breathing with a cool eye.

“Feel better now?”

<i>Been good, been bad, got worse, got better.
I feel I know myself when I'm looking in the mirror.
Been hurt, been loved - I'm scarred, not bitter.
I am an angel with the knowledge of a sinner.
But what do I do, and how should I be?
When I look at myself, I can only see me....</i>

“It’s starting again, Iz, she’s back and in one night she got it all, all over again.”

“What do you mean?” Isabel wasn’t ignorant of the intensely competitive way that Tess felt she needed to act around her step-sister, but she was hoping that talking about it might help calm Tess a little.

“She’s all he sees again. His perfect little girl, his perfect little lawyer now, as if the rest wasn’t bad enough. Everything I worked so hard to achieve since she left, all of the mistakes that I tried to fix, and she eclipsed it all by taking a job at the firm. Carrying on the family business.”

“God! I can’t stand this, I feel like I’m fourteen years old again.”

<i>
I need a little patience...</i>

What could she say? That Tess was being unfair? She was and she wasn’t in her own way. Jeff Parker loved both of his daughters equally, but he had more in common with Liz than with Tess. She could hardly say that to her friend, who even on a good day refused to see how her past behaviour had put a wedge of her own making between their father-daughter relationship.

Isabel understood that both Tess and Liz were living lives in the shadow of a parent’s past history. Where Liz had tried to deal with her problems constructively, Tess had taken hers to a much darker place, and twisted them until they became her stepsister’s fault.

The way that Tess had treated Liz when there were children had been wicked, there was no excuse for it. What the world didn’t realise, however, because Tess didn’t let it know, was that she had paid for her crimes ten-fold ever since as a result.

At college Tess had found some measure of freedom from her demons, managing even to find some perspective on a situation she had created. She had matured out of the black hole of self-doubt that had marked her teenage years and grown as a person because of it, but Isabel was worried that her friend, in her desperate scramble for her father’s love, might just make the same mistakes all over again. This time, she might not be forgiven, because she wouldn’t be able to hide behind her youth.

The one mistake that Tess continued to make in her crusade for forgiveness was to realise that welcoming Liz into the family was the only thing that she needed to do to get final absolution. It was the one thing that she had denied her sister for so long.

Tess threw herself down into the sofa, at let out a noisy sigh. “Fuck! I feel like hell.”

<i>Been hard, been soft, been both, been neither
Above it all, I am only a survivor.
Been down, been low, got up, got higher -
We are only human, all just liars...
So I wait for the day when I open my eyes
And I look to myself, but it's no big surprise

I need a little patience...</i>

“You’re swearing, now? I suppose that’s an improvement on smashing up your house.” Isabel replied wryly.

“You think? I don’t think anything’s going to improve tonight, except perhaps getting very, very drunk.”

“What are friends for, if you can’t get smashed together? Let’s pretend we’re still at college and be immature just for tonight.”

“Are you going to be all right?”

“I’m going to have to be, aren’t I?”

“Let’s go.”

Isabel was silent on the drive into Boston, as she contemplated a potentially bigger problem.

Isabel had seen the way her brother had been watching Liz at the dinner table, and the gentle flirting that had been zinging back and forth between them. She was used to Max’s effect on women; his disinterest; the way he let them do all of the chasing. Tonight, she had the distinct impression that Max, for once, was the one who had instigated a chase, and he was heading squarely for Liz Parker.

Tess, however, appeared to have been oblivious, too wrapped up in her insecure jealousy over Liz and her father to see Max’s particular interest in Liz.

If there was one thing that Isabel was sure about, it was that Tess was used to Max’s full attention, which she was able to demand seemingly on any whim and get an instant response. More so even than Isabel would expect from her big brother, which Isabel had always found a little unsettling, and Michael very annoying.

The big question on Isabel’s mind was, just how was Tess going to react?

<i>Well I'm sitting here and sinking and I'm on the '8th floor
And I'm thinking do I jump or should I stay around for more?
I watch my friends get bigger and get better and get richer
But I'm not bitter
Time is ticking ticking ticking ticking ticking on with a vengeance
I want it all
I want it all

I need a little patience....

<u>(Patience – Nerina Pallot)</u> </i>
Last edited by Reamhar on Thu Aug 17, 2006 4:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Reamhar
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by Reamhar »

<i><b>Thanks as always to Hazz and Michelle in Yonkers for doing such as awesome job as Betas for this story. :D

Thanks also for the feedback:-

Roswell3053 x 2 – that the question of the moment. :wink:

Strawberry88 – thanks

behrluv32 – it’s not as simple as that, honest. :wink:

begonia9508 – thanks

hazz – hmm, I fancy a Honda CRV, coincidence? Never! LOL :lol:

tequathisy x 2 – we’ll, I could tell you, but then you wouldn’t read the rest of the story.

Earth2Mama x 2 – you’re not wrong, but can you see it happening? :wink:

Michelle in Yonkers x 2 –
Michelle in Yonkers wrote:(What's going to happen to Max's poor, wounded Beamer?)
Maybe he should get a Honda too, then they could have his and her’s matching cars…. Maybe not.
Michelle in Yonkers wrote:Kudos to Maria! (See that, nibbles?) What a friend! And way to go, to turn Tess's tactics back on herself, and save the day! What could be more natural than to have Max ride with them in order to give directions?
I should point out that Michelle suggested that Max should sit up front with Liz, so all credit to Michelle for this part. :D

believer_evans – thanks

clueless x 2 – thanks

LairaBehr4 x 2 – it’s spooky, have you been reading my thoughts <i>again?</i> :shock: LOL :lol:

RosyLady – thanks

Emz80m – thanks

Elci – thanks for the bump

Katrina – thanks

RhondaAnn – thanks

Guelbebek x 2 – thanks</i></b>

<u>Notes</u>

Cletus The Slack-Jawed Yokel – from The Simpsons

<u>Part Eight</u>

Maria fidgeted around on Liz's bed trying to make herself more comfortable whilst chuckling evilly.

“Do you remember her face when she came into that bar? Like breathing the air would give her the plague or something.”

“Tess doesn’t really go to bars much.”

“Oh come on Liz, you make it sound like we were in some sort of redneck bar! It’s a sports bar frequented by office workers not Cletus The Slack-Jawed Yokel look-alikes.”

“Yes, but...”

“Oh, will you stop defending her; you’re spoiling all my fun!”

“But!”

“No!”

“But!”

“Elizabeth Claudia Parker, I said no!”

“Yes, Maria.” Liz replied with a huffy sigh.

<center>~~~~</center>

After Tess hustled them out of the bar, they made their way to the club, and, with a flash of Tess’ VIP card, sailed past the line of people queuing outside, and straight into the incense scented vestibule.

The night-club certainly lived up to its name, Kasbah, and showed a definitely Moroccan influence in its decoration. A large dance floor and bar had smaller alcoves leading off in every direction. Decorated in vivid shades of gold, ochre reds and electric blue, each of the alcoves was filled with sofas piled high with jewel coloured cushions.

Two stair-cases on either side of the bar led to a mezzanine floor where people could dine, and billowing gauze curtains in jewel colours marked a door-way out onto a first floor balcony that circled the building and looked out onto an attractive view of the yachts in the harbour.

Cleary designed for well-heeled clients, and obviously expensively decorated, it was, nevertheless, a pickup joint. It just had that sort of vibe.

Liz took in the vibrant surroundings and the crowd of people energetically dancing to a pop tune with new eyes. Suddenly a night club seemed like an appealing place to spend some time. The way the music vibrated through the high-ceilinged room, made her sway unconsciously to the beat as they stood, waiting for Tess as she scanned the room for someone.

An extravagantly dressed middle aged man made a beeline for her, and Tess willingly relinquished the hold that she had on Max’s arm to go to him and be engulfed in his arms without introduction.

Interestingly, for Liz, Tess returned to gesture warmly. Since Tess was not usually given to spontaneous affection with anyone, even their father, Liz was intrigued to know who this man was to have generated such a warm response. Liz was much more used to Tess touching people as a mark of possession, or because it was an expected action. The hug she was sharing with this man, who was introduced as Xavier, the club owner, was motivated by neither of those reasons.

“Xavi, this is Max, Maria and Liz, and Isabel you know.” The introduction was light and polite, and Tess managed to introduce Liz without any of her usual disdain colouring the use of her sister’s name.

“Liz? This is your sister? Look at you all, such beautiful girls, and with the lovely Isabel, you outshine everyone else in the room.”

“Maria and Liz are celebrating their graduation from UNM.”

“Well, you must come and sit in our VIP area, and I’ll arrange some drinks to celebrate. Do you want some bubbly, on the house?”

“No, Xavi, I think we’d prefer cocktails or something. I’m all champayne'd out tonight.”

Maria leaned over to Liz with a quizzical expression on her face. “Is she bi-polar or something, or did she just check her bitch attitude with her coat?”

Liz was spared the need to make a reply when Xavi, with a waitress hovering by his side, asked what she would like to drink.

“Eh, something fruity please.”

“Me too.” Isabel added.

Liz was about to explain that she meant fruit juice, when the waitress nodded her understanding and left before she had a chance to speak again. In the face of such confidence, Liz concluded that the woman must know what she was doing.

Xavi immediately swept them up in a wave of hospitality and into what he assured them was his most popular VIP room. It afforded a good view of the dance floor, but far enough away from the DJ booth and sound system to be slightly quieter to allow conversation without the need to shout.

The conversation slipped easily from their activities that evening to trials and tribulations of running of the club, as Xavi set a congenial tone.

Of French/Cuban extraction and formerly from the warmer climates of Miami his espoused vision was to bring a little North African style to stuffy Boston. He was a small, slightly rotund ball of energy, and when he asked Maria about her degree, they hit it off immediately as they chatted together about the Baroque Era and Caravaggio.

Tess explained in a whisper that the Moroccan theme was more to do with Xavier currently absent boyfriend Tariq, and that far from his exuberant front, Xavi was actually a very shrewd property developer in the daylight hours, and an avid art collector.

Despite Xavi’s current interest in talking to Maria exclusively and on a subject which excluded Tess, Tess did not react with any of the covetous jealousy that Liz was expecting. Instead she seemed relaxed enough to strike up a conversation with Isabel about the decoration of the club.

Watching Tess interact with Xavier, Liz realised that this was perhaps the most relaxed and natural that she had seen Tess ever act around a man. It brought into focus for the first time how much of Tess’ behaviour was about acting the correct part in the circumstances rather than being just Tess, and just how few people actually got to see who Tess was as an individual. She’d certainly never been one of those privileged few.

With this realisation came knowledge. That she and Tess had more in common than would seem natural for a pair of sisters who had been at war for years. They should have been able to find common ground, but instead they had only ended up further apart than absolute strangers.

Liz switched her attention to Isabel as she whispered something to Max, and Tess and Xavi began talking about another subject.

Isabel and Tess had run with the same group of friends in school, and had had the same public expectations put on them, and yet Isabel, despite her ice queen exterior didn’t have a spiteful bone in her body. They were both beautiful and Isabel, as a former model, had her public and private personas, but she was in no way as guarded as Tess, yet they were firm friends.

Liz was still studying Isabel with a distracted frown on her face, when Isabel looked up and caught her staring. Liz looked embarrassed to be caught in the act, but laughed when Isabel stuck out her tongue cheekily before joining in the conversation with Tess and Xavi.

Liz couldn’t help laughing at the silliness of Izzy’s actions, but she missed the way Max’s own face broke into a smile as he watched her honest reaction to his sister’s light reprimand.

The group fell into a companionable silence when Xavi was called away to have a side conversation at the bar, and Tess went with him to discuss some work she was doing for the club.

Maria was craning to look through the crowd on the dance floor when her voice, resembling a hooting fog horn, broadcast a warning to the table at large.

“V.B.S, alert.”

Liz twisted in her seat. “You’re kidding me. Here?”

Isabel turned to look in the same direction as Liz and Maria, regrettably knowing exactly what V.B.S meant as the unflattering label had been coined by Maria to describe the a group of friends which she and Tess had hung around with in school.

“Hey, Iz your posse’s here. You still a V.B.S’er?”

Liz groaned inwardly at the gauntlet that Maria was throwing down to Isabel. She might have known that Maria couldn’t leave that old argument alone.

“<i>I</i> was never a V.B.S, and <i>my</i> association with that group ended a long time ago.” Isabel’s voice was thick with her trademark sarcasm as the two women in question began heading in their direction trilling Isabel’s name enthusiastically.

“Yeah,” replied Maria sceptically, “looks like it!”

Max leaned over and whispered in Liz’s ear. “V.B.S?”

Liz tried and failed to suppress a shiver of reaction to his warm breath tickling her neck. She turned to answer him to find them practically nose to nose, until Max turned and dropped his head so that her mouth was level with his ear.

“Ahh, she’s taking about a bunch of girls that Tess and Isabel were friendly with in school. The Vapid Blonde Society, or Vapid Blonde Skanks, depends what mood Maria’s in.”

Liz’s voice held a hint of apology, because there had been a time when Tess had been Queen Bee of the group, Isabel, her second in command, and the two walking towards their table, willing followers of Queen Tess.

“They were all blonde.”

“Some more than others.” Maria interjected.

“Oh lord, that’s Pam and Mona, I mean, ehh, Ella.”

“Mona?” Max asked interest in her flustered correction.

“She’s called Ella, but she was known as Mona, because she used to <i>moan-a</i> a lot. She liked football players, allegedly,” Liz replied.

“She also has a rather appropriate surname.” Maria added.

“Dare I ask?”

“<i>Dick</i>erson, and I am in no way kidding about that.” Maria replied causing Max to laugh.

“Actually, I know the name, if not the nickname. Didn’t she have a thing for Michael?”

Maria scowled, and stood up, turning her back on Liz and Max briefly, giving Liz a chance to nod and whisper to Max. “Yes, hence why the group aren’t so popular with Maria, amongst other reasons.”

“I remember Michael was less than enthusiastic and a lot stronger in his choice of nicknames. She was quite tenacious in her pursuit of a very unwilling Michael; I guess that means she gets marks for being goal oriented.” Max laughed.

Maria snorted at Max’s remark, “I think now might be a good time to powder my nose before skank-zilla and clone get over here. Are you coming?”

Liz considered her options and decided that she wanted to stay at the table, and wrinkled her nose in negative reply.

“Okay, come find me once the danger has passed?”

“Sure.”

Maria melted into the crowd, and Isabel watched her go with an irritated and slightly envious sigh, as she checked on Tess’ whereabouts. She was over by the bar and seemed completely oblivious to her schoolyard nemeses bearing down on the table as she talked animatedly with Xavi.

Isabel decided to try to run interference for her friend. Tess might have been leader of their group once, but she had been dropped like a hot potato after her final showdown with Liz, and worse had followed. After she left to attend Winnaman Academy, a very thorough smear campaign had been started by her replacement, Pam and spread by her willing minions. Ella, who was walking beside her commander-in-chief, was one of the many wannabe sheep who followed in first Tess then Pam’s shadow, and one of the minions who had so effectively spread Pam's poison.

Izzy knew why they were coming over here anyway because she was used to their type. She might only have been a minor celebrity in her day, but that didn’t stop people from wanting to be on the Isabel Evans bandwagon, invited or otherwise. If they realised that Tess was here, things could turn nasty, because Pam lived in a small enough world to still bear a grudge.

Isabel left the table and walked to meet them half way, automatically accepting and giving the required air kisses.

“Isabel Evans, how have you been?” Pam trilled with fake warmth.

“Good, you? Hi Ella!”

“Hi Izzy Bell.”

“Well, I got engaged.” Pam held out her hand to show an outrageously large diamond solitaire. “His name is Doug and he’s a doctor, well plastic surgeon actually.”

“Wow.” Isabel replied, biting down the urge vocalise her thought that Pam’s fiancé’s profession could be useful to her in later life. Instead she rolled her eyes at the use of that particularly hated pet name. She pushed Pam’s hand back down to her side because it looked like she otherwise intended to stand there like a begging dog displaying the ring for the length of their conversation.

“Gee Pam, congratulations, and what a glorious ring. So elegant! You’re so lucky!”

She slipped into her old role easily, raising her voice to mimic the squeaky enthusiasm of the other women.

“Is Doug here tonight?”

“No, he’s out with his golfing buddies.”

Isabel thought, ‘typical’, and imagined unkindly that Doug must be some Pringle wearing arrogant idiot hanging out with his cronies.

Isabel started to make boring small talk to work her way around to making parting comments when Pam began craning her neck to see who was sitting at Isabel’s table.

“So, Isabel, who are you with tonight.”

“Oh, no one interesting,” Isabel dismissed, growing irritated with Pam’s continual fishing as though she expected her to pull Brad Pitt from her pocket.

“Is that your brother?”

“Yes.”

Ella, who had been largely silent up to this point, perked up. “Michael’s here?”

“No, Max.”

“Mmmh, M-a-x.” Pam rolled out Max’s name as though she was saviour something particularly delicious. “Is he as big a honey as ever?”

Isabel resisted the urge to gag, and instead said coolly, “I really wouldn’t know.”

“We should say hello.”

Over at the table, Max and Liz were watching Isabel from a distance, unable to hear the conversation, but trying to interpret the body language.

“She's working around to leaving them cold.” Max stated confidently.

“Isabel the smiling knife.” Liz laughed. “Oh no, it looks like they’re coming over here now.”

With a skirt short enough to make a gynaecologist blush, Pam sashayed past Isabel and over to the table and straight into Max’s line of sight.

“Well, Max Evans, aren’t you a sight for sore eyes?”

Max looked over a Liz briefly and winked, before turning to Pam with an engineered confused expression on his face.

“I think you have me at a disadvantage?”

Pam fluttered her hand against her cleavage girlishly and laughed. “Oh you, I’m Pam, Pam Troy.” She replied, as though the name should be significant, and then introduced her sidekick as an afterthought. “And this my friend Ella.”

“Ella? Ella Dickerson. It’s been a long time since I last saw you. How have you been?” Max virtually ignored Pam in favour of Ella, who bemusedly returned the hug he gave her before sitting back down with Liz, and extending his arm behind Liz’s head to lay it along the back of the sofa.

Pam seemed flustered to have been upstaged by Ella, and focused her attention on Liz to recover ground, taking in the position of Max’s arm and drawing her own conclusions.

“Lizzie? Little Lizzie Parker, how have you been?”

“Good Pam, I’m all grown up now, as you can see.” Liz replied wryly

She shivered slightly as Max’s hand made contact with her bare shoulder and began to stroke. Despite the distraction of his touch, she was catching on to what his wink had meant and happily played along, by leaning closer into his side his arm slide down her back and around her waist.

If Max wanted to use her as a human shield, Liz was more than willing to help out, though she doubted he actually needed the help. Liz had the feeling that he was more than capable of handling women.

Tess was standing listening to Xavi’s conversation with the bar manager when she noticed the waitress that had come to their table earlier head out with a tray of drinks towards the table. She recognised the drinks enough to know that, it was something far less innocent than fruit juice being brought to the table for Isabel and Liz.

Tess knew that Isabel wouldn’t thank her for a hangover in the morning, if she was intending to pace herself tonight, so one of Tariq’s sweet tasting, but lethal cocktails would not be a good idea.

“Xavi, I’m just going to tell Isabel something.”

“Sure, sweetie, but I need to sort something out with you later, can you come see me in the office later?”

“No problem.”

Pam had tried several attempts to draw Max with flirtatious conversation, but each time Max drew her attention back to Liz, and the intimate way in which he was holding her against his side.

Isabel was standing on the sidelines hiding behind her drink and trying not to laugh as Max grew more and more outrageous and Pam more desperate. When Max resorted to sharing Liz’s drink, she eventually did laugh out loud, but hid it as a cough, managing to draw Pam’s attention momentarily.

Max recognised the opportunity, and took it, pulling Liz to her feet while Pam’s attention was on his sister. Holding Liz’s hand tightly, he stopped in front of Pam briefly.

“If you could excuse us.” He looked down at Liz, letting his eyes wander over her figure with a smoky intensity. “I suddenly have the urge to dance.”

Isabel snorted behind them, thinking that he should have been the sibling to hold the title of drama queen, rather than herself.

Pam’s eyes rounded predictably as she heard Max’s words, but took in his actions and decided that the sort of dancing he was referring two involved a dark corner and hands in certain places.

Max directed Liz towards the dance floor and was some distance away from them before he adding, “Pam, Mona, nice to meet you,” before pulling a laughing Liz away.

“Well, Max is the last person I thought I would ever see mousey little Liz with. That must have been one in the eye for Tess.”

Tess was just coming with earshot of Isabel and her companion when she noticed Max, and Liz hand in hand laughing conspiratorially, and whispering with their dark heads bent towards each other. Their body language screamed intimacy where she knew there could be none yet.

She heard Pam Troy speaking to Isabel almost as an after thought as she tracked Max and Liz across the room. It was what Pam said next that made her freeze on the spot as the colour drained from her face.

“Good for Liz, that’s what I say, she deserved to get one over on her psycho sister. How is Tess? In some lunatic asylum, to keep us all safe I hope.” Pam laughed. “Wasn’t that school she went off to some sort of secure facility?”

“You want to be careful, Pam, that you don’t confuse your own poison with the truth.” Isabel replied angrily, but Pam was too much on a roll to notice.

“Looking at the way Max was manhandling Liz, they seem to have some passion going on there. I bet he rocks in the sack, and he and Tess used to be such particular friends. Did he drop her like her family and finally realise what a loser she was?”

Tess spun around and walked away, unsure whether she wanted to scratch Pam’s eyes out or burst into tears.

Liz, Liz, Liz. It always came down to bloody Liz, and now she had her claws in Max. Well not if she had anything to do about it. Her desire to warn Isabel about the potency of her drink was forgotten, and replaced with an interest in seeing how long it would take teetotal Liz to make a fool of herself by getting falling down drunk.

Isabel had heard enough, and was willing to get her claws out for real now.

“Listen you vapid, blond skank, shut the hell up.” Isabel spat, losing patience with the pseudo polite conversation they were having. She decided that she must be channelling Maria tonight, because such blunt rudeness really wasn’t her style, but it certainly had the desired effect as Pam stopped talking.

“You know nothing about the situation, and it’s none of your business either. So take your poisonous tongue and your slutty outfit and go and ruin somebody else’s evening before I get you barred from this nightclub.”

Pam’s silence turned into slack-jawed amazement, then flushed embarrassment.

“In fact, just leave. I can’t stand the sight of either of you.” Isabel stuck her nose in the air and stalked back towards the table, leaving Pam to grab Ella by the arm and drag her away in a hurry.

Isabel watched them head for the exit, and breathed a relieved sigh, happy to know that Tess had not witnessed either of those scenes. It was difficult to know which would have caused a worse reaction, Pam and her poison, or Max flirting openly with Liz. Either way, she was happy to have dodged that particular bullet.
Last edited by Reamhar on Sun Sep 17, 2006 8:37 am, edited 9 times in total.
Reamhar
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by Reamhar »

*Edited*

Hi, sorry I had to post and run earlier without any acknowledgements, so here they are now.

Heart felt thanks to Hazz and Michelle in Yonkers for being the Beta for this story.

Any another huge thanks for all of the amazing feedback:-

Clueless - for more times than I can mention & thanks for the bumps

Lairabehr4 - for the bumps and encouragement. Nope, nothing to do with I Could Love You Better

roswell3053 - thanks :D
cowgirl - thanks :D
pandas2001 - thanks :D
tequathisy - thanks :D
begonia9508 - thanks :D
RhondaAnn - Tess in this story can be a bit bi-polar, can't she. :P I wonder why. :twisted: :D
RosyLady - thanks :D
vampyrax - thanks :D
nibbles2 - thanks :D
Blink1lit - thanks :D
SmileeUk - Max has hiden depths, what can I say :lol:
L-J-L 76 - thanks :D

Ta da! An update!

Part Nine

Max led Liz onto the dance floor, his body language appropriately possessive for any V.B.S audience that might be present, as he steered her with a hand against her back, to a quiet area.

For Liz, the whole experience of putting Pam in her place had left her on a high, not just because this glorious man wanted to dance with her, but because she was here living this moment, and loving every second. For a good girl turned briefly naughty, Liz felt like she was in the middle of the sugar rush of a lifetime.

The high energy pop song that had been playing melted flawlessly into a slower ballad, as Max drew Liz into his arms, and up against the chest that she was becoming very familiar with.

<i> Inside my skin
There is this space...
It twists and turns
It bleeds and aches

Inside my heart
There’s an empty room.
Its waiting for lightning;
Its waiting for you
</i>

Liz stood up on her tip toes to see past Max’s shoulder, and watched Pam and Ella departing rapidly from Isabel’s side, as Isabel stood with her hands on her hips glowering intimidating at their retreating backs.

Max shifted to see what she was looking at, and looked down to see Liz’s slightly flushed face, split with a wicked grin. When she came face to face with his amused eyes, Liz burst into giggles.

He pulled her closer, and tilted his head so that his mouth was by her ear, and her mirth ended abruptly with a slightly nervous hiccupping noise. Her hips brushed against him, and she realised suddenly just how closely they were dancing.

“And what is so funny?” Max asked against her ear, as the dance floor became emptier as couples drifted together thinning out the larger groups of dancers.

“You. You’re quite outrageous.”

“Me?” He was the picture of wounded innocence as he pulled away from Liz’s ear and looked down on her upturned face.

Liz found it easier to breath when his mouth wasn’t quite so close to the sensitive skin of her neck, and managed to rib him back cheekily now that she could marshal her thoughts.

“Poor Pam, I think you broke her heart.”

“Where would you rather be? Here dancing, or over their stuck with Ms Troy whilst Isabel tries to freeze her into an exit?”

“Here.” Liz replied, and then blushed because she realised that she sounded too eager. Max seemed unconcerned, and simply smiled in response.

“Then the means justify the end, but I really couldn’t resist either.”

“Wicked, wicked man.” Liz teased, and was warmed by the rumble of laughter that past through his chest and over the top of her head as they danced.

“So you’re going to judge me based on that one conversation. Am I to be labelled forever as a wicked man?”

Max executed a neat side step, turning them away from another couple who seemed to have got too wrapped up in a petting session to notice anyone else, and Liz interpreted the sudden movement and his droll voice for wounded feelings.

“No, no! That wasn’t what I meant at all!”

Her innocently apologetic expression forced laughter out of him, when he had been intending to remain deadpan to tease her just a little bit longer.

She pouted slightly as he continued to find humour in her seemingly endless ability to embarrass herself around him.

He pulled her closer and dropping a kiss on her cheek as an apology. “Forgive me?”

I am wanting, and...
I am needing you
To be here
Inside the absence of fear

Muscle and sinew
Velvet and stone...
This vessel is haunted
It creaks and moans

“I’ll think about it.”

When the lips on her cheek began to make slow progress towards her neck, Liz unconsciously tipped her head to the side to give him easier access at the same time as questioning his reasons.

“Ehh, Max.”

“Mmhh.”

“What are you doing?”

“I would have thought that should have been obvious.” He murmured against her ear.

“Is it?” She asked her voice softer than before and a little unsure.

Max worked his way tortuously slowly along the curve of her jaw, and when his teasing lips finally made contact with her throat, she let out a sigh, and tightened her hands around the material of Max’s shirt.

She was torn between letting herself enjoy the sensations that were exploding under her skin, and the sinking disappointment that came with knowing that this was motivated by humour on Max’s part. To Liz, the sensations were so strong, that it seemed wrong for them to be based on something as frivolous as winding up a venomous nobody like Pam Troy.

“Can’t you tell?” Max murmured against the pale skin of her neck as he let his mouth wander, enjoying the subtle hint of vanilla coming from her skin, and the way her pulse was hammering against his lips as he caressed her pulse point with seductively slow kisses.

“I’m sorry? Tell what?” She murmured, losing her train of thought suddenly.

The way that Max could turn her into a pool of mush just by holding her close was as pleasurable as it was scary, and it was beginning to make Liz feel like she was getting out of her depth rapidly.

Feeling her move her hands across his shoulder and then tighten against his back, Max moved his hand experimentally lower across her back, pleased to feel her shift closer to him in response.

When he lifted his head to return to finally go to her mouth, all he could think about was the slowly simmering attraction he felt with Liz so tightly moulded to his body.

<i> My bones call to you
In a separate skin.
I make myself translucent
To let you in, boy...

I am wanting, and...
I am needing you
To be here
Inside the absence of fear
</i>

“I’m apologising.”

When he would have swooped down for a proper kiss, something in Liz’s expression distracted him. Her eyes seemed to have melted into an even darker chocolate brown, as she studied his mouth with an intensity which Max found very erotic, but there was tension in the way she held herself against him, and an unsure question on her face that made him hold back from his immediate desire to kiss her senseless.

Max didn’t know where the switch from flirtatious play had ended and her sudden disquiet had begun, but his instinct was that they needed to slow this down; for now.

He cupped her cheek with a large hand and stroke gently with his thumb, until the tension in her face relaxed, and her mouth curved into a tentative smile.

Liz tried to put the conversation back on the same humorous level that it had started on.

“I suppose I should accept your apology, since you saved me from Pam and Ella.”

“I hadn’t even thought to be bothered about them.” He replied with an intense smile and the tightening of his hand on the small of her back.

“I just wanted to dance with you.”

Her smile of appreciation at his reply was hidden with a flush of embarrassment that flooded her cheeks in response to his smoky statement.

“I’m glad to hear it.” She replied saucily.

When she blushed an even deeper red, Max started to wonder if she could be anymore adorable without it all being an act. A sex kitten who blushed, that was a new one on Max.

There is the splendour of this
Secret inside of me
And it knows that you’re no stranger,
You’re my gravity

My hands will adore you
Through all darkness aim, they will
Lay you out in moonlight
And reinvent your name

Max loosened his hold on her slightly, giving her the option to pull back and have a little more space. Liz did not pull away, and appeared to have gone back to studying Max’s mouth in a way that was putting a strain on his self control.

Max found himself questioning just where he was trying to go with this intensity which seemed to have sprung up between them, and was unable to produce an answer other than wanting to learn more about the enigma that was Liz Parker.

“Let’s go somewhere to talk.” Max invited.

Liz turned to look over to their original table both relieved and disappointed, when she saw that Isabel and Maria were talking. “Okay.” She replied, and turned to walk back to their seats.

Max caught her by the arm and turned her back to face him gently, his warm fingers unconsciously caressing the bare skin of her upper arm before sliding down to catch hold of her fingers.

“No. I want to be able to talk too just you.”

Liz smiled, “Really?”

Max laughed at her ingenuous reply, and nodded. “Yes, really.”

Max caught the eye of their waitress as he led Liz across the dance floor and up the stairs towards the outside balcony, and ordered a repeat of their drink order to be brought out to them at a table outside, as he led her through the gauzy curtains and out into the balmy night air on the balcony.

For I am wanting, and...
I am needing you
To be here...
I need you near...
Inside the absence of fear.

Absence of Fear – Jewell

Isabel had drained her first cocktail and had dispatched the waitress for a second round of drinks by the time that Maria returned to the table.

Being around Isabel one to one still made Maria slightly uncomfortable even with the passage of time. Maria no longer had the advantage of distance to hide behind, so Isabel was a ghost that she would have to exorcise sooner or later.

Isabel met Maria’s gaze over the rim of her glass with a cool eye.

“That was nicely done.” Maria offered, attempting to begin the conversation with a compliment.

“I could say the same thing about your nicely timed exit.” Isabel replied, leaving Maria unsure whether to take the sentence at face value or on the basis of an intentionally meant double meaning.

She decided to ignore it, and reached for her drink as she sat down. “Where’s Liz? I’m feeling a little abandoned here.”

Isabel indicated to where Max and Liz were on the dance floor, with a roll of her eyes. “Over there heating up some shadowy corner.”

Maria looked over and saw Max and Liz dancing closely together in time to a ballad that was playing, and once again felt worried for her friend and her uncharacteristically forward behaviour. The where entwined together, and when Max began kissing Liz’s neck, Maria frowned.

Max was a decent enough person in Maria’s opinion, but he was a little more alpha male than Maria was entirely comfortable with for her to approve him making a move on Liz.

“So what’s brought that on?” Maria asked her disapproval clear in her voice.

“Does it matter?” Isabel asked, annoyed on Liz’s behalf by Maria’s over protective attitude.

“Of course it matters!” Maria replied, ignoring Isabel for several minutes in favour of keeping an eye on Max and Liz. When Max and Liz got up and disappeared out of onto the baloney, Maria immediately moved to follow them, but was stopped by Isabel’s restraining hand.

“What are you going to do Maria? Save her from Max?”

“No, but I am going to make sure that she doesn’t get in too deep.”

“For heaven’s sake, Maria, this is Max and Liz we’re talking about not an evil seducer and a gently reared maiden. I hardly think she is going to be raped and pillaged on the balcony of a night club. Could you be any more medieval in your out look?”

It was on the tip of Maria tongue to asked Isabel why it was her business, but Maria wanted to keep the conversation on a calm basis, so she opted for a less confrontational response.

“Liz has been through a lot, Isabel; she needs someone to watch her back.”

“And if course that has to be you!” Isabel’s snort of disbelief in response irritated Maria enough to make her respond in anger.

“What would you know about it, Isabel?”

“More than you seem to understand as usual. Leave them alone, Maria. Your interference is unnecessary.”

“No! You don’t understand Isabel, because if you did, you would have been cheering Pam the skank on, not chasing her away when she was rattling on about Tess. You defended your friend; I’m looking after mine, so butt out!”

“And who are you really defending this time Maria? Liz from Max?” Isabel scoffed.

“That’s not what I mean and you know it!”

“It’s not what I mean <i>either.</i> Liz is not some fragile little flower that needs you to defend her at every turn.”

“What are you talking about?”

“You know what I’m talking about, just like you knew what I was talking about earlier. Liz is your excuse now, just like she was then. I won’t let you get between Max and Liz.”

“Like I got between you and Michael you mean!” Maria snapped, and immediately regretted her unguarded words.

“You know that’s not what I mean.” Isabel snapped, as Maria became unnaturally calmer in the circumstances.

“Isn’t it?”

“You left him.”

“I was scared.”

“You nearly broke him.”

“You didn’t know all the circumstances. You have no idea what I was going through back then.”

“I was there. I knew exactly what was going on. He would have fought to be with you no matter what, and you ran away.”

“Liz needed me.”

“Liz didn’t need you; you needed her to hide behind.” Isabel began to mimic Maria’s voice. “’I was scared’ ‘I was going through stuff’. I, I, me, me. Listen to yourself!”

Maria schooled her features into a calm mask, because she would be damned to perdition before she let Isabel see anything that she was feeling in that moment.

“I don’t want to fight with you Isabel. It was all too long ago. If you want me to be the bad guy, then fine, I was wrong.”

Maria’s switch from anger to resignation cooled some of the heat out of Isabel’s temper.

“You didn’t deserve him.”

“You’re probably right, and I don’t have him, do I? So we’ll leave the subject at that. Let’s just try to get through the rest of this evening civilly.”

Maria left Isabel abruptly, and walked away trying to keep her dignity intact, unaware that the sheen of tears in her eyes had betrayed her to Isabel.

Isabel blew out a noisy sigh, only now realising that she had been holding her breath for most of their exchange. She reached for her purse, and fingered her mobile phone distractedly, undecided about what to do next.

This entire evening seemed to be taking them all off in strange and unexpected tangents, and the simple commission that she had been given to fulfil that evening now didn’t seem so simple after all.

Never the less, and against her better judgement, Isabel found herself walking out into the quieter vestibule to make a phone call that she was worried she would regret making later.
Last edited by Reamhar on Sun Oct 15, 2006 9:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reamhar
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by Reamhar »

<u>Part 10</u>

Maria was standing with her back to the bar stamping an impatient beat with her foot as she regarded the throng on the dance floor.

No matter how much of a front she might put up, the conversation with Isabel had been as upsetting as she had anticipated. Maria knew that much of what Isabel had said was true. Maria had thrown away all that she and Michael had shared together, but could a scared teenage girl have behaved any differently?

Maria wiped her hand across her eyes, and was annoyed with her self to feel the trail of drying tears on her cheek. So many years had gone by, what was the point of wallowing in self pity? Michael was on the other side of the world, and they were living different lives. The end.

Maria scanned the room again, but could not see Isabel within the immediate crowd, and decided to take her absence as an opportunity to tidy herself, because the show had to go on as always.

<center>~~~~</center>

Liz was enjoying finding out how easy it was to speak to Max, as they sat together at a table out on the balcony.

Max managed to be urbanely charming as before with just a hint of his earlier teasing.

“So, we’ve come to the conclusion that we know nothing about each other?”

“So it would appear.” He replied with the hint of a dimple.

“You’re laughing at me?”

“I suppose I am, but you’re being adorably pompous, so I can’t help myself.” His smile was infectious and Liz smiled back.

She rolled her eyes with self deprecating humour. “Since I’m the nominated crazy woman for the evening, how about we play 20 questions, but I have one stipulation.”

“I’m intrigued already.”

“None of the obvious questions; what do you do as a job, where do you live, where did you study. We met in fairly unconventional circumstances; let’s not make it mundane by doing the usual now. I want to learn about you, not your earning potential.” Liz blushed slightly, embarrassed by her forwardness even though the words where coming out of her own mouth.

“You’re an original, Liz Parker.”

“Really, I’ve always considered myself to be fairly ordinary. Tess cast a pretty big shadow, I guess.” Liz closed her eyes briefly, and groaned. “Rule number two, no self pity.”

Liz’s was surprised to see Max’s eyes soften with some emotion that she couldn’t quite place.

“I don’t think even Tess could cast that large a shadow.” Max said gently, before his voice become more up beat as he returned the conversation to their earlier topic.

“I don’t think it’ll take twenty questions to get to know me.”

“I’m not so sure, Max Evans, I think you’ve got layers.”

“Why Ms Parker, are you flirting with me.”

Liz blushed, but decided to continue what she had started quite by accident with this glorious man. “Is it working?”

“I’ll let you know later.” He replied with a flash of teeth. “Favourite colour?”

“Blue.”

“Favourite dessert?”

“Vanilla ice-cream.”

“Favourite person in the world?”

“I have two, Maria and my mother.”

“Biggest regret?”

“Being estranged from my father.”

“Biggest fear?”

“Letting everyone down.”

“Greatest asset?”

“My family, both of them.”

“You?” Liz asked, wanting to take the opportunity to find out more about Max.

“The same, but I only have one family. So why do you have too?” he quizzed, sensing that this was a big part of Liz’s life.

“What I meant was my actual family and my friends. Alex and Maria, they’re my second family and mean the world to me. We’ll I suppose Maria is officially family anyway, we’re cousins, but she’s also my best friend.”

“And Alex?”

“We were all roommates in college. They’re my rock. We’re living together here too.”

“So it would seem that you’re quite an extra ordinary lady.”

“No really, I’m very ordinary. A typical day in my life doesn’t involve crashing cars, and making out in bathrooms with strange men.”

“You forgot playing footsie.”

“I was trying very, very hard to forget.”

“I wasn’t.” Max replied with a grin, intrigued again to see warm colour flash across her cheek bones.

Following his instincts, as he had on the dance floor, he decided to back off a little.

“On the subject of bathrooms, I think I need to pay a visit. Should I be expecting you to fall through the door at any particular time?”

“Very funny. Oh, Lord! I should go and find Maria. She must be thinking that she’s been abandoned by now.”

They walked together back into the building, and paused before heading off in different directions.

“You know, that bathroom invitation still stands.” Max said softly with his mouth beside her ear.

Liz half seriously considered taking him up on the invitation before she cuffed him on the shoulder when she realised her was laughing at her again. Before she had a chance to give him some cheek back, he dropped a kiss on her lips before walking with confident, masculine grace into the crowd.

Liz was walking back to their original table with a goofy grin on her face, looking for Maria when Tess caught her arm and pulled her into an empty alcove.

Liz turned around to come face to face with Tess, who was by now blocking the entrance by standing across it.

“Do you have any idea how much of a fool you’re making of yourself?” Tess asked her voice frosty.

With a very uncharacteristic flash of temper, Liz spat back. “No, but I’m sure you’re about to tell me. Come Tess, let’s have it. You obviously have something on your mind.”

“It’s you, coming here and making a fool of yourself with Max.”

“It bothers you more than you’d like to admit, doesn’t it? That for just a few minutes this whole evening, you’ve failed to be the centre of attention? It’s killing you, isn’t it?”

“You have no idea what you’re talking about.”

“Oh, I do. I’ve had years of your passive aggressive bullshit, the difference is I’m not going to take it any more. So come, spit it out. Let me hear your bile. I want to get on with my evening.”

“Whatever.” Tess spat, and surprisingly, turned to leave.

Liz wasn’t willing to give her the satisfaction of being the first to walk away. Tess liked her grand gestures, and she wasn’t getting this one.

“Running Tess?”

Tess spun on her heel, her face flushed with annoyance.

“Never. I came in here to try to give you some good advice.”

“Oh really. About Max? Well, I don’t want to talk about Max right now. I want to talk about us.

You know, Tess, I finally realised something tonight, and it’s that we have more in common than either of us might want to admit. It was quite a Eureka moment, let me tell you.”

Tess’ expression was immediately dismissive, as she wrinkled up her nose and lips as though there was an unpleasant smell in the room. “You know nothing about me.”

“I realised, that we’ve so much in common, that neither can quite see the other without their own issues getting in the way. You know like the carnival hall of mirrors. Your real reflection is there, but distorted. “

“Please.” Tess scoffed, but Liz carried on regardless.

“So, my question for you is. Did you ever really see me, Tess, or did I become invisible to you once you saw something in me that scared you?”

“You don’t know what you’re talking about.”

“Thing is, after tonight, I think I do. I think you looked at me, and saw too much of your own pain to be able deal with me as an individual. After that, I became your whipping boy. Because it’s all got to be about you, doesn’t it, Tess?”

“Have you finished?”

“For now.”

“What I have with Max is special, you can never touch it.” Tess replied with a voice that was not quite under control. “He’s had other relationships, but none of them meant anything. If you don’t believe me, ask him. Ask Isabel.

You think you know me so well? Well, I know you too, and you’re not the kind of girl to want something less.”

Liz was incensed by utter confidence in Tess’ words. Tess really thought she knew her down to the bone, whilst still making everything about herself.

“I don’t <i><b>know you</i></b> at all, but I see you now, for the first time and I don’t think you know or see me at all, even now.

You want to make this about you? Fair enough. You’re assuming I care about what you have or had with Max.”

Years of pent up anger and pain were trying to batter down a door inside Liz, looking for a way to rip Tess to pieces as punishment for what she had put her through. They found an outlet through dishonest words.

“Think about it, Tess, how do you know I don’t just want a new fuck buddy? From what you’ve said about Max’s past relationships, he sounds like a prime candidate for the job, don’t you think? So thanks for the recommendation.”

“You’re lying.”

“Am I? And why should you care when, in your own words, you two have something ‘special’. So what do you to feel so threatened about?”

Liz didn’t like herself at that moment, but Tess’s deep-rooted contempt drove her on, even as her face slid into the disdainful mask that Liz had seen too many time before.

“Threatened by you! When have I <i>ever</i> been threatened by you?”

“When have you not?” Liz replied feeling a queasy mixture of frustrated fury and disappointment at Tess’s behaviour.

Liz shook her head in frustration. “You know <i>nothing</i> about me. You never did. So stay out of my business, and I’ll stay out of yours.”

Liz brushed past Tess, depriving her of her ability to perform a grand exit, and heading off to find Maria to get some help to calm down.

In the end it was Maria who found Liz. She was standing out on the balcony, with her hands on the balustrade, and her head a little bowed. To a stranger, Liz might have looked like she was enjoying the view of the harbour. To Maria her tense shoulders and awkward stance said that she was extremely upset.

“Blond baggage!” Maria muttered as she hurried over to Liz.

“Liz, are you all right?”

Liz turned a tear-streaked face to Maria, and Maria put her arm around her shoulder in support.

“Oh my God! What did she do?”

“I’m such an idiot.”

“No, you’re not. She’s a witch, we both know it.”

“I feel like such a self pitying, fool.”

“You have every right to be, and she has no right to put you down. She’s an out-and-out bullying bitch. You have every right to be upset.”

“No, no Maria! I’m not upset, I’m furious. <i>Beyond</i> furious.”

“So why the tears?”

“I don’t know!” Liz replied, and surprised them both by dissolving into tears again.

Maria pulled Liz into a hug, and Liz laid her head against Maria’s shoulder.

“Oh, chica.”

“Why am I crying? I don’t understand.”

Maria laughed at the woeful confusion in Liz’s voice. “Sometimes there isn’t a reason. It’s just a release of emotion. You can’t analyse relationships, sometimes you need to cry, some times you need to throw things. Either way is good. Personally, I prefer throwing things.”

Liz managed a watery giggle in response. “I feel like such a fool. She got to me again, just in a different way.”

<center>~~~~</center>

Max was making his own way back to the table, unaware of the fight that had gone on between Tess and Liz over him, when he came across Isabel blocking his path in a very pointed manner.

She was doing what Isabel did best. Dealing with something head on. It wasn’t subtle or particularly original, but it was very, very Isabel.

Isabel stopped her older brother in his tracks with a stare. “What are you up to Max?”

Max was used to this approach and knew exactly how to counteract it. With careful nonchalance, he relaxed back against the wall and met her stare with confidence.

“Why would I be up to anything Iz?”

“Come on Max, you and Liz? What’s going on?”

“Who appointed you in charge of dating central command?” He asked laconically.

“So you are proposing to date Liz. You are intending to date?” Isabel replied with obvious disbelieve.

“What the hell does that mean?” he asked with irritation that didn’t match his relaxed body language.

“That’s my point exactly Max, you don’t date. You don’t have long term relationships and you don’t make commitments.”

Max stood away from his indolently leaning position, utterly oblivious to a buxom red head who nearly tripped over her heals as she craned to get a second look at him whilst walking past.

When he straightened up, he looked more than a little annoyed at this line of questioning. Max in a temper could be quite intimidating, but Isabel wasn’t going to back down on this one.

“Don’t get angry Max. I understand more than anyone else what an effect our parent’s train wreck of a marriage had on you.”

“Isabel, this isn’t a subject I want to discuss.”

“Don’t shut me out, Max.”

Max tried to walk away to underline the point that the conversation and topic were over, but Isabel grabbed him into a hug and he automatically returned the gesture.

“You’ve always been there for us, and I love you for it, but we’re here for you too.” Isabel whispered, feeling slightly choked, and taking several seconds to compose herself before she pulled away.

“I know, Iz.”

“I’m glad you came home. I’ve never said that before, but I’ve missed you. We both did.”

“I missed you too.”

“You’ve always been my big, strong protective brother, and I love you to bits, but Liz is a friend, and if you put one foot out of line with her, I will have to kick your ass, or maybe some other much more precious piece of anatomy.”

“So what is it that you want? A list of my intentions?”

“I don’t need to hear that you intend to propose Max, but I do need to know that you understand that Liz isn’t like your other girlfriends.”

Isabel rolled her eyes at the word girlfriends. Each of the women that Max had been involved with over the years made such a cameo appearance in his life that they barely made an impact. Max’s life was his family and his career, pretty much in that order.

With cautious optimism, Isabel was hoping that Liz just might be the one to make a splash in Max’s life where his other girlfriends had failed.

“Liz deserves much more than a no strings attached affair.”

Max’s eyes actually softened at the determination in Isabel’s voice.

“I understand Isabel, you don’t have to worry.”

Even as Max’s voice gentled, Isabel assumed her hard ass attitude again. “Good because you’ve got many good child rearing years a head of you, I wouldn’t like to see them prematurely brought to an end by Maria, or me! I want nieces and nephews, since Michael’s a lost cause; I’m relying on you to deliver.”

Isabel left Max with a huge smile on her face as he stood looking not quite as relaxed as before. At a pinch he might even have been described as slightly ruffled. That was one in the eye for Max and his legendary emotional control.

Isabel knew that once Max found the right person to love, he would pour all that he was into that relationship, and that woman would be truly treasured for the rest of her life. She didn’t see any reason why that person couldn’t be Liz.