Breakaway (K/T, TEEN) 1/1 4/8/06

Finished Canon/Conventional Couple Fics. These stories pick up from events in the show. All complete stories from the main Canon/CC board will eventually be moved here.

Moderators: Anniepoo98, Rowedog, ISLANDGIRL5, Itzstacie, truelovepooh, FSU/MSW-94, Forum Moderators

vegas312
Addicted Roswellian

Breakaway (K/T, TEEN) 1/1 4/8/06

Post by vegas312 »

Title: Breakaway

Author: vegas312

Disclaimer: I do not own Roswell so please don’t sue me although I wouldn’t mind owning the character of Kyle.

Rating: TEEN

Coupling: K/T

Summary: Post VLV. What happens when Tess decides to give it all up and choose her own destiny?

AN: The song below is Breakaway by Kelly Clarkson and copyright infringement is not intended so yeah don’t sue me.

“Grew up in a small town
And when the rain would fall down
I just stared out my window
Dreaming of what could be
And if I'd end up happy
I would pray (I would pray)

Trying hard to reach out
But when I'd try to speak out
Felt like no one could hear me
Wanted to belong here
But something felt so wrong here
So I pray (I would pray)
I could breakaway”

She laid on the hood of the blue convertible with long blonde hair spread out like wings of an angel. She stared up at the sky as the sun rose up in the air banishing the moon back to its dark kingdom. Music played softly out of the car stereo as she just laid there realizing for the first time in her life that she was free. Free from the life fate had dealt her and had been drummed into her head since she had come out her pod. No more destiny. No more trying to be someone she wasn’t. No more responsibility to people on a planet she had no real memories of, and she was pretty sure had none of her.

Nope, she wouldn’t miss that heavy burden at all. There was nothing in Roswell that she would miss except well she thought with a painful twinge to her heart that she would miss her family. Not the family that she had thought she wanted, but the family that had embraced her for herself not because she happened to be another alien hybrid.

Her mouth tugged reluctantly into a smile as she thought of the Valentis. Who knew that two humans would worm their way into her heart and make her embrace that human side of her that she had long forgotten had existed. The Sheriff, who had shown her that there existed protectors that understood what the word ‘honor’ meant, and treated her just like he did everyone else. If the fates had allowed her to choose a dad, then she would have chosen him hands down although that would mean Kyle would be her brother.

A sigh escaped her as her thoughts turned to one Kyle Valenti, all around jock, good friend, Buddha Boy, and maybe love of her life. She was too realistic to believe in soul mates or happily ever after although these months of watching Max and Liz kind of made a girl want to believe in such things. Still she wasn’t sure when it happened, maybe it had happened when she had saw all her friends drift towards their significant others and when she had actually smiled with joy when she noticed the guy she was supposed to be seducing dancing with the girl he was in love with.

‘If a girl couldn’t dredge up the tiniest bit of jealously then it definitely wasn’t love,’ she shook her head amusingly. Nope it definitely wasn’t love, but when she had turned around to see Kyle staring at her she realized that maybe what she had been looking for all her life was standing right there.

After dragging Kyle on the dance floor, the rest of the night had gone off perfectly even when the Sheriff had busted all of them at the hotel. The feeling that had been building up hadn’t gone away even on the car trip home, and everything seemed to be right in her world until the fates reminded her what she had done in the name of her so called destiny. Darkness banished the light that had briefly shone on her as she heard Alex and Isabel laughing in the backseat, and she knew that none of them could ever forgive her for what she had done. She had ruthlessly and coldly used their friend to further her purpose of obtaining the life that had been promised to her. In doing so she had broke the fragile bond of friendship that she had established with the others and had confirmed every bad thought they had ever thought of her.

She knew then that the darkness would never let her walk into the light and that if she didn’t leave that the darkness would use her to cause the others more pain. Instead she pushed the new feeling of love and all that it entailed away as she planned her escape. That very night she had packed up her stuff and left in the dead of the night leaving no traces of herself except a two page letter explaining her misdeeds of months past, and now it was two days later and she still had no idea what she was going to do, but she did know that she was finally free to be herself and nothing more or less.

Sitting up she stared up the morning sky one more time before sliding off the hood. She had traded her SUV when she left Roswell as it was part of her old identity and no longer who she wanted to be. Pushing blonde hair out of her eyes, she opened the car door and started the car up. As she waited for the car to warm up, she picked up the tan cowboy hat she had taken from Kyle and traced the edge of the rim. Staring at it sadly she placed it on her head and put on her shades, and leaned forward and turned on the radio. Happy, well as happy as she could be, she strapped on her seatbelt and put the car in drive and started the long trip down the road to what she hoped would be a better life if not at least a honest life.

A few hours later she pulled into a rest stop to stretch her legs and get a cup of coffee and hopefully something sweet. Walking into the crowded café she took a seat at the counter and ordered a cup of coffee and a slice of pound cake to go. Soon the waitress was back with her order and Tess smiled gratefully before picking up her order. She left a tip and went to pay at the register and headed out the door ready to get back on the road to see where it would lead her next. Stepping out she pulled her hat down low and started for her car. So lost in her thoughts as she thought about where she wanted to head off to, she didn’t notice the guy walking towards her until their shoulders bumped each other. Before she could mumble out an apology the guy grabbed hold of her and swung her around into his arms.

She opened her mouth ready to let the guy have it when she noticed in disbelief at the familiar blue eyes staring angrily at her.

“Kyle,” she whispered in disbelief.

“Oh so you do remember me,” he snarled.

“Wha…what are you doing here,” she asked still not sure if he was really there.

“Well gee I came to get my lucky hat,” he pulled her shades off with one hand while holding her tightly with the other. “Actually I wanted to know why you did it? How could you?”

Tears gathered in her eyes as she heard the words fall out of his mouth and the pain that laced them. Bending her head, she said quietly, “I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to harm anyone especially Alex. I was just doing what I thought I wanted, but I realized too late that it wasn’t. I hope one day you can forgive me for it.”

“I’m not talking about what you did to Alex although we’ll get to that in a bit. I’m talking about how you snuck off in the middle of the night leaving dad and me worrying sick about you.” His jaw clinched as he thought about waking up to find her gone.

“What? You’re not mad at me about Alex and everything else,” she asked in disbelief as she started to wonder if this was indeed a dream.

“Yeah I’m mad about that, but I’m pissed that you thought so little of our relationship that instead of staying to talk about it you took off,” he gave her a small shake.

“Our relationship,” she inquired as blue eyes clashed.

“Yeah you and me, me and you, Kyle and Tess.”

“You and me huh? So what does that mean exactly?”

“It means that I want you to come home. We all do,” he told her.

“Everyone can’t possibly want me to come back. I mean I did such horrible things, and Alex was just the tip of the iceberg,” she looked away again.

He traced her chin with the tip of his finger and gently turned her face back around to face him. “Whatever you did, whatever wrong and harm that you caused, you got to remember that you stopped before it got worst.”

“You say that but everyone else won’t. Don’t you understand what I did? I hurt the one person everyone in the group would die for, and the one person who always been nice to me even when I was on the outside looking in. They all hate me now,” she ran her fingers through her hair frustrated that Kyle didn’t seem to be getting what she was trying to say.

“Tess, they don’t hate you.”

“You just don’t understand! Even I hate me for what I did, and nothing I do is ever going to fix what I did,” she shouted close to tears.

He stared at her in silence for what seemed like forever before pulled out his cell phone. Scrolling through the phone book, he found the number he was looking for and dialed it. Tess stared at him disbelief that he would end their conversation without saying anything else rather talking on the phone. She scowled darkly at him before turning away and walking away to her car.

“I knew he didn’t really forgive me,” she muttered to herself and brushed away a tear.

“Tess! Wait,” Kyle yelled behind her.

She fought a brief struggle within herself on whether to stop or not, but somehow her feet stopped and she waited.

“Dang woman, when you decide to move it you move it,” he grinned at her. “Here, someone wants to talk to you.” He shoved the cell phone in her hand.

“Huh? What? Who wants to talk to me?”

“Just answer the phone and see,” he winked at her before grabbing her bag. “Now what’s in here?”

She hesitated before putting the phone to her ear. “Hello?” Hearing who was on the other end she replied with shock, “Hi Alex. How are you?”

A few minutes went by as she listened to Alex speak and a gauntlet of emotions crossed over her face. Sadness, guilty, fear, and finally hope.

“Okay I’ll see you guys in a few hours,” Tess told Alex and before she hung she whispered tearfully, “Thank you.”

Ending the call she looked up to find Kyle staring at her intently while drinking what she assumed to be her coffee.

“So how it go?” He asked.

“It went good. Better than I thought,” she gave him a small smile. “We’re supposed to be going back home now.”

“Good. Good,” he nodded his head. “I guess we better get back on the road then. I’ll follow you on the way back.”

She stared at him and he stared at her. She smiled, he smiled. “Good,” they said together.

Laughing at each other at their foolishness, she turned away and he turned to walk away.

“You owe me coffee and I’m assuming a slice of pound cake,” she yelled over her shoulders.

“Yeah, yeah. I hear you. You’re already nagging at me already,” he groaned.

Tess smiled to herself and continue walking until Kyle called her name again.

“What?”

“Nothing. Just wanted to say that I’ll see you home,” he told her.

“Home,” she repeated to herself. ‘Such a small word, but such an important one,’ she mused to herself.

Getting into the car, she started it up and headed back to the road that finally lead to home.

THE END