Shiri Appleby (Liz Parker) News

Come here to find out all the latest about your favorite actors...

Moderators: Anniepoo98, AvengingAngelIQ, singerchic4, Forum Moderators

Alien_Friend
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Shiri Appleby (Liz Parker) News

Post by Alien_Friend »

that sucks. I can't handle another strike.

And really he's her brother huh lol good to know thanks.
behrluv32
Addicted Roswellian

Post by behrluv32 »

H.I.T
A young woman has to deal with being abandoned by her contract killer father when he revisits her with plans to recruit her for his line of work.
Starring: Shiri Appleby

Tuesday, 9 December at 9PM

http://www.hboasia.com/hbo/movie/3288

i think this is what would have been that usa show she was supposed to be on
SAVE ROSWELL CAMPAIGN- Roswell General Discussion & News
My Stories:
Pen Pals
Never Let You Go
Our Normal
Reunited
I'm the Man: The Christening of W.Roswell High
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Natz
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Natz »

This fabulous link and article was posted on FF. It was written by Mike Moody on the TV SQUAD website. It's all about Roswell and the great cast.
Twilight Vs. Roswell: Are aliens more romantic than vampires? - VIDEO

Even before I caught Twilight on the big screen, I was comparing it to Roswell, the great teen sci-fi/romance series that aired on The WB (and later The CW UPN) from 1999-2002. The Twilight ads and trailers seemed to tell the same story Roswell told more than nine years ago: A sensitive girl is saved by a supernatural hunk who makes it his mission to protect her at all costs. The two fall in love, but the relationship is complicated by his other-worldly circumstances.

It's not exactly the most original story in the world. This sort of thing goes back to Bram Stoker's Dracula, (and probably further back than that). Still, after watching Twilight, I was a bit shocked by its similarities to Roswell, especially since Roswell wasn't half as popular as Twilight. I haven't read the Twilight or Roswell book series, so I can't tell you if the similarities persist in print (but my friend Stephanie can). I can only compare the big screen and TV versions.

From major plot points to character motivations, these two franchises have a lot in common, but one clearly stands above the other. Let's compare, and you'll see what I mean:

The Set-Ups:
Roswell - In the pilot, we're introduced to Liz Parker (Shiri Appleby), a bright Roswell teen who writes everything down in her diary. In the first scene, she's saved from certain death by Max Evans (Jason Behr), her quiet biology lab partner who just happens to be an alien. Max's secret and life are threatened when he publicly uses his powers to heal Liz from a gunshot wound.

Twilight - In the opening scene, we're introduced to Bella (Kristen Stewart) a lonely teen who just moved to the dreary town of Forks, Washington. Bella is soon saved by her quiet (wouldn't you know it) biology lab partner Edward Cullen (Robert Pattinson), a vampire masquerading as a normal teen. Using his supernatural strength to save Bella from being hit by a car puts Edward's secret and his life in jeopardy.

The Romances:
Roswell - Max and Liz form an alien-powered bond when he heals her. They exchange emotions and memories instantly and fall deeply in love. Unfortunately, Max's alien roots and a revolving door of big bads get in the way of their happily ever after.

Twilight - Um, Edward likes the way Bella smells. That's about it. Her aroma is so intoxicating that he feels the need to gawk at her from a distance day and night. (Is this love or just animal magnetism?) Bella seems to dig that Edward isn't a nice, polite, normal teen who can go out in the daylight like all the other boys. Her sweet stank attracts a sociopathic vamp who tries to kill her and Edward, which briefly gets in the way of their romance.

The Diaries/Voiceovers:
Roswell - Liz Parker's voice is the first thing you hear in the Roswell pilot and in most of the following eps. Her diary entries narrate the bulk of the series and give each ep a warm, intimate feeling, partly thanks to Appleby's sincere voice.

Twilight - The movie opens with a voiceover from Bella, and the voiceovers continue throughout the film. They don't offer much in the way of warmth or intimacy. Instead, they feel mopey and stock, but that might have something to do with Stewart's unimpassioned line readings.

The Lead Characters/Actors:
Roswell - Appleby is endlessly appealing as the sharp, warm and capable Liz. She might be a sensitive teen, but she's rarely mopey, even when circumstances keep her apart from her first love. Jason Behr's subtle turn is perfect for Max, a character who's pulled from the sidelines to become a benevolent leader and protector.

Twilight - Bella is written as a bright girl who's experiencing the thrill of first love. Stewart plays her as an angsty, pretentious, and unlikeable emo kid. Pattinson fares better as the valiant Edward, but it's clear that he comes from the John Lovitz school of ACTING!

Other similarities:
Twilight and Roswell both feature supporting characters with supernatural gifts who feel threatened by the main characters' relationships. In Twilight, these characters come off as one-note, but Roswell's supporting characters were, of course, allowed to develop over three seasons. Also, both franchises portray Native Americans as somewhat mystical people. In Roswell, they have a spiritual link to the aliens. In Twilight, they're territorial onlookers who might be werewolves.

The Verdict:
So -- at the risk of having my likeness burned in effigy by a mob of angry teens -- I must admit that Roswell is the better franchise. Maybe it's an age thing (I haven't been a teen for ten years), but after re-watching the Roswell pilot, I found it to be warmer and smarter, better plotted and acted, and more compelling than the movie version of Twilight. It's also way more romantic. I think Twilighters should give it a shot (especially since you can stream it for free online). It's got all of Twilight's basic elements, but it's a lot less pretentious. Plus, there's more of it (three seasons worth)! Sure, Twilight might seem edgier and more glamorous, but all the hair product and Paramore tracks can't hide the fact that it's one of the most unromantic "romantic" movies out there.

Stream the Roswell pilot below and judge for yourself.

http://www.tvsquad.com/2008/12/02/twili ... -vampires/

I am really glad others are finally seeing what a great show it was and I do hope that fans continue growing. :D
nibbles2
Obsessed Roswellian

Post by nibbles2 »

great article.
DreamerM&L
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by DreamerM&L »

Great Article!

When I first read Twilight i found myself comparing it to Roswell aswell..it is very similar
and I have to agree i prefer Roswell!! :D
Liz:Forever may only be twelve days...

Max:Then we'll take those twelve days...and we'll live twelve life times.

Robert Pattinson is My own personal brand of Heroin
FSU/MSW-94
Forum Moderator

Post by FSU/MSW-94 »

Happy 30th Birthday today Shiri :D
La'Shon

Round 9 & Round 11
pijeechinadoll
Obsessed Roswellian

Post by pijeechinadoll »

awww nearly forgot LOL.
~H A P P Y ~ B I R T H D A Y ~ S H I R I~
@>~~~
ping x
♥LUv roSWEll♥lOvE MaX eVAns♥LoVe Liz PaRKeR♥luV bEiNg a DrEamR♥LuV FANFICS♥
xoxoxox
To see a World in a Grain of Sand,And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand, And Eternity in an hour
(william blake)
DreamerM&L
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by DreamerM&L »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!! SHIRI!! :D
Liz:Forever may only be twelve days...

Max:Then we'll take those twelve days...and we'll live twelve life times.

Robert Pattinson is My own personal brand of Heroin
mitra
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by mitra »

Happy Birthday Shiri!!
behrluv32
Addicted Roswellian

Post by behrluv32 »

I can tell you that I ran into Shiri Appleby and Scott Grimes at dinner the other night and (a) they could not have been sweeter (Shiri had just seen E! News and playfully asked for a rundown of precisely where I get my scoop) and (b) they certainly appeared to be very cozy—he had his arm around her as they ate dessert at the bar. They'd make a cute couple, no?
http://www.eonline.com/uberblog/watch_w ... s_new.html
SAVE ROSWELL CAMPAIGN- Roswell General Discussion & News
My Stories:
Pen Pals
Never Let You Go
Our Normal
Reunited
I'm the Man: The Christening of W.Roswell High
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~