The Importance of Being Elizabeth (CC,M/L,MTURE) (Complete)

This is the gallery for the winners of the fanfic awards to show off their fics, and their banners!

Moderators: Itzstacie, Forum Moderators

WR
Addicted Roswellian

The Importance of Being Elizabeth (CC,M/L,MTURE) (Complete)

Post by WR »

Winner - Round 8

Winner - Round 4

The Importance of Being Elizabeth

Disclaimer: I, in no way, am associated with the actors, writers, producers, etc. of Roswell. The rights to the show belong to: 20th Century Fox, Jason Katims, the WB, Melinda Metz, etc.

Summary: Takes place in a different place at a different time. Just what is the Granolith and what can it do?

Category: Max/Liz - honest

Rating: Mature

Authors Note: This first 'book' sets up the rest of the story. Hope you enjoy it.
My thanks go to all members of the RBI for their theories, and for their opinions of mine. My special thanks go to three very special people, Qfanny, Shapeshifter and Bluecornmoon, without whose help, kindness and encouragement this would have never appeared.

Additional Authors Note: I am posting this story here so that all of my stories are once again available for all to read. Please remember that this was my first ever story and I have improved (I hope) quite a lot while writing this - and after.

Prologue

The Holy Seers of Antar have their religious beliefs based firmly upon the story they like to tell in their religious services. They claim that it is a story passed on from one generation to the next, having been told to the original Seers by the Granolith, after it had been forced to divide the original people of Antar.

The Mother of the Universe surveyed the confusion and the chaos that ruled the Heavens. Determined that order should be brought where only disorder existed, she absorbed everything she saw, and stored it in her womb. Finally, when she had taken everything, she gave birth to the Universe. The Mother of the Universe looked out across the stars and the planets that she had caused to be and was pleased. All was uniform, and good. It was truly a wondrous sight.

But regardless of the beauty that she beheld, there was something missing, there was no one with whom to share. So she called forth two children, a son and a daughter, twins. When the children beheld what their Mother had created, the Daughter looked at the sight and wept at such beauty. The Son was unmoved.

"Why do you cry, Daughter?" Her Mother asked.

"All that I see here is the true beauty of the Universe, Mother, but I fear that it will soon be marred, for when you grow bored, and turn away from it, who shall watch over it?"

"I will watch over It." Her brother had said. "It shall be my playground!"

"No." Replied the Daughter, "For the vision that I have seen, the marring of the Universe, has been caused by your hand."

"Then, my Daughter, I shall pass the Universe to you, that you may care for it, and maintain its beauty."

"No!" Cried her son. "Can you not see her error? She is but a female, puny and weak. I am a male; I am big and strong. I will be able to hold the universe together, to bend it to my will. My sister will be unable to control it, it will surely control her."

The Mother of the Universe thought about this, and was tempted to agree with her son.

"Wait." Her Daughter said.

Before their eyes, the young girl created a new figure, another male.

"He will help me," She said. "He will provide the strength, and the will. I will provide the care and the love. Together, united, we shall be unassailable."

"Pah!" Spat her brother. "He is lifeless. And if our Mother gives him life, then I too will demand a partner. And then where will that end? Shall we have a whole legion of siblings fighting over the Universe?"

"Nay, brother." She continued. "I shall not ask our Mother to give him life. I shall give him a part of my own."

The Daughter then gently divided her soul, her very essence into two, and placed it into the figure she had created. He came to life instantly, and when the two looked into each other's eyes, the love that shone was blinding like a sun.

"This is good Daughter," The Mother said. "This indeed proves that you should be the one to guard my creation."

"No!" Screamed the brother, seeing the strength between them. "This must not be!"

With a blast of pure energy, the brother destroyed the newly created young man.

"The universe shall be mine!" He cried, and he fled into the darkness of the Universe.

The young Daughter collapsed to floor, crying her tears of anguish.

"I am sorry my Daughter." Her Mother said softly. "Now that you are only half of what you once were, your brother will seize the Universe. Already, I feel him disturbing its fabric. He is bringing forth life from the very bones of a planet. He is releasing chaos. I wish there were something I could do. I am sorry that your other half is destroyed."

"No, Mother." The Daughter whispered through her tears. "Not destroyed. He is still out there. And I will find him. Our souls are one, and will always seek to be together. We will find each other, and defeat my brother."

"He will seek to prevent this," Her Mother warned. "He will try to keep you apart."

"Then I will hide among the very beings he has created, until I find him. Each new being brought forth will house a soul of their own. When that being dies, the soul shall move on. That is my parting gift to the universe."

"Parting, my Daughter?" the Mother asked. "Where will you go?"

"So that our souls may be united, I must release mine out into the Universe. Therefore, I must die."

"I will give what aide I can, daughter," her Mother smiled sadly, knowing her Daughter spoke the truth, "but I must not become involved, lest our quarrel destroy the very thing we seek to protect, the Universe."

With that, the Daughter went unto the Universe, seeking the lost half of her soul. Born from the love a woman had for a man, the sole chance for the redemption of the Universe lies with the love between an unborn woman and an unborn man.

Last edited by WR on Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:27 pm, edited 11 times in total.
WR
Addicted Roswellian

The Importance of Being Elizabeth - Book 1

Post by WR »

The Importance of Being Elizabeth

Disclaimer: I, in no way, am associated with the actors, writers, producers, etc. of Roswell. The rights to the show belong to: 20th Century Fox, Jason Katims, the WB, Melinda Metz, etc.

Summary: Takes place in a different place at a different time. Just what is the Granolith and what can it do?

Rating: PG

Authors Note: This first 'book' sets up the rest of the story. Hope you enjoy it.
My thanks go to all members of the RBI for their theories, and for their opinions of mine. My special thanks go to three very special people, Qfanny, Shapeshifter and Bluecornmoon, without whose help, kindness and encouragement this would have never appeared.

Book 1

Journal of Hyphestis Fralos, Chief Technologist to Lord Tsooz, of the Dredni.
Celestial Age 9/5/303 01dc.

Journal Entry 1.

My name is Hyphestis Fralos. I have been appointed Chief Technologist to Lord Tsooz, a Great Warrior of the Dredni clan. We are from the planet Vestinari. I now serve on his flagship. Until recently, we had been at war with the planet Dratov, a war that had lasted generations. With our final victory, we found evidence that the planet we know simply as K31/b2 had somehow originally created the life forms of Dratov, and gave them the technology to war with us. We seek to put an end to the threat of them repeating this. We now approach K31/b2, a new war approaches. Privately, I question its validity. The planet we are attacking seems at first glance to be peaceful. Our sensors detect no threat. I do not know what the inhabitants of K31/b2 are called, so I shall call them 'The Ancient Ones'. Personally, I believe our leaders seek to seize for themselves, the wonderful technology this planet must surely posses. Morale is high.

Journal Entry 2.

We hold our breath. We cautiously stationed our ships in orbit, fearing what technologically-advanced weapons they must surely posses. We met no resistance. Lord Tsooz commanded that the ground warriors land without planetary bombardment. The warriors were terrified as they departed in the landing shuttles. We fear that at any moment, a death ray will obliterate us.

Journal Entry 3.

It was not much of a war. The first forces on the ground reported that the planet was uninhabited. I was sent to the surface to evaluate captured technology. What technology? These people lived in crude stone dwellings and used beasts of burden and crude tools to work their land. How could this race have reached into space, and created life on other planets? The search continues, our leaders are furious. They are convinced they have hidden it from us. Where has the population gone?

Journal Entry 7.

We have had some luck at last. A small company has discovered a cave, hidden high in the mountains. They had hoped that they might find some wondrous treasures, instead they found a crystal chamber. The chamber is circular, approximately 5 metres across, and 3 metres high. A dark inverted cone dominates the chamber, 2.5 metres high, suspended over a white crystal cone half a meter high. When I asked if anyone knew what it was, strange voices spoke in my mind. "We are the C'Laronolth." I do not like this thing. The others laugh at me when I suggest that perhaps the inhabitants have transferred their collective consciousness to the chamber. The thought scares me. What frightens me more was the message. Carefully inscribed on the wall were the words "Seek not to obstruct us." A warning, perhaps? Why was this so frightening? The words were written in our language, and appear to have been written centuries ago.

Journal Entry 10.

In spite of my misgivings, the chamber has been safely stowed onto our ship. Morale is high, everyone celebrates. Why do I feel so insecure? Why do I feel the C'Laronolth is alive, and that it watches me? Why do the voices ask what we are doing? To avoid the strange feelings of watchfulness, I will stay on the bridge.

Journal Entry 32.

I have never been so scared in all my life. It was from the bridge that I witnessed a sight so horrible, I still see it when I close my eyes. The planet Vestinari exploded before our very eyes. Lord Tsooz decorated the pilot for his quick thinking in using a wormhole to escape certain death from the fireball that was Vestinari, but I saw the Pilot. There was no way he guided us into the wormhole. He was quivering on the floor, like the rest of us. I have studied the space around Vestinari since my youth. There were no wormholes. Something or someone had created it! The crew of another ship had the presence of mind to follow us. We can only assume that the rest were destroyed. As I ponder why our planet should explode like that, the voices tell me we must help them finish what they have started, before it is too late. What do they mean?

Journal Entry 35.

Lord Tsooz has commanded that I study the C'Laronolth. He believes that this technology may be how The Ancient Ones travelled to distant planets and created life. He plans to find a suitable planet, and create New Vestinari. We will be the fathers of a New World. The voices remain silent, but I sense their satisfaction.

Journal Entry 36.

Morale is low. Our females are no longer fertile. Our sister ship reports the same. Our healers suggest that this is a temporary condition brought on by the time we have been in space. I suspect that the C'Laronolth has done this to us. Is this a punishment? They have already said we must help them complete their task. Perhaps this condition will pass when we do this. My colleagues think I am falling apart.

Journal Entry 37.

This is incredible. It seemed that no sooner had we decided upon our course of action, than we came upon a new star system. We emerged from the wormhole to a galaxy in a part of the universe unknown to us. Our sensors indicated that there were five planets that were not only capable of sustaining life forms, but already held them. It is as if we have been lead here, for some purpose as yet unknown.

Journal Entry 40.

As we approached the star system, which we have called the Vestinari Cluster, the five habitable planets formed an almost perfect 'V'. Our spirits have been raised, for in our culture, this is the symbol for our healers. It means "If ill, will heal you."

Journal Entry 45.

The five planets are very similar. Their gravity differs slightly, as do their temperate climates. However, the planet that we have selected to become our home has one major difference, it holds a much higher volume of nitrogen in it's atmosphere that the others. From the moment we landed, I knew where to place the C'Laronolth. The voices told me. It now sits in a cavern, high up on a mountain. We have posted guards to watch it constantly.

Journal Entry 52.

I have discovered a use of the C'Laronolth. I had wondered what effect the large inverted cone, which was itself a kind of chamber, might have on a foreign object. I placed a piece of rock from the mountain, approximately half a meter in diameter, inside this chamber. I was amazed to find that I could 'see' its molecular structure. In a flash of inspiration, I rearranged the structure in my mind, turning the stone into a pyramid, formed with steps. It was pleasing to me. For no reason at all, I created chambers inside the structure. I think that one-day, I might task the local population to build such a place for me. Momentarily, I thought of the mountain outside. When I ceased concentration, I was surprised to find that the rock I had placed in the C'Laronolth now took on the shape I had imagined. The voices seemed pleased. Were the voices responsible for my inspiration? When I left the chamber, I had an even bigger surprise. The whole mountain now looked the same as the rock, a huge stepped pyramid.

Journal Entry 56.

Surprisingly, the dominant life forms of each planet are similar to each other; save for the unique adaptations the environmental differences require. Lord Tsooz has made contact with the dominant life form here on the planet we have named An'Tahar, which means 'Hope'. They are vastly different to us. Like the other planets, they are upright bipedal beings. With the appendages connected to their upper torso, they are able to physically manipulate objects, making a tool from almost anything. The beings appear to be very strong and durable. Why do the voices scream at me to leave them alone? We call the lands on which we have settled 'D'Erra', which means 'Chosen'.

Journal Entry 65.

Lord Tsooz is pleased. The people of An'Tahar have proclaimed us as their Gods. They have called the sea upon which our Battle Cruiser floats a holy place. But all is not well. One group of these people have denounced us, claiming that we do not serve the true purpose. They do not believe we speak for the Universe. After warning the others that we will bring doom upon them all, these unbelievers have left, crossing the mountains to the east. The others tried to stop them, but they fought fiercely to escape us. Many people have died.

Journal Entry 3695.

It has been a decade since we landed on An'Tahar. Using the C'Laronolth, I have been able to change the composition of the lands around us. Much of the land was barren waste, on hard rocky surfaces. The people had struggled to eke out a meagre living. This was not conducive to population growth, so I have created huge forests, which provide materials for shelter, tools and fuel, and helps to break down the rock. I have expanded the fields, and improved the fertility where the people grow their wheat and grain for their food. Unlike changing the stone, which only seemed to effect just the mountain, these changes seem more widespread. Perhaps the change has effected the whole planet. The D'Erran population grows, their life has been improved. They are building communities. Our females remain infertile, and we have noticed a new phenomenon. Whilst the crew of our sister ship have aged normally, by our standards, they claim that we have not aged at all.

Journal Entry 37043.

Our people, the D'Errans are prosperous. It has been a century since our arrival, and they are rapidly advancing under our benevolent care. King Argostal has lead an army across the mountains to the east, intent on bringing the unbelievers back to the fold. The voices warn me that we that we are interfering, and tell me to stop King Argostal. The last of the crew of our sister ship has died. As with the others, we have consigned his body to the stars. Our own numbers dwindle, though none of us has died of old age, or disease, instead it is suicide. It was our warriors who went first. As they grew tired of this life, they 'fell upon their weapons'. We now number scarcely twenty. Is our apparent immortality a result of the C'Laronolth?

Journal Entry 37056.

King Argostal has returned with only a fraction of the army he departed with. His sorry tale indicates that the unbelievers, who now call themselves H'Manz, have progressed technologically at a faster rate than our own people, the D'Errans. They have developed fearsome weapons, against which our army had no protection. Our own weapons were ineffectual against their protective devices. Lord Tsooz wants to use our own weapons against the unbelievers, but this is impossible, since we have lost our warriors, and the D'Errans are not physically capable of using them themselves. Fortunately, Lord Tsooz sees the folly in allowing the D'Errans to use our weapons. Instead, we use our knowledge to teach them, speeding them along their evolutionary path. The age of warfare is already upon us. The voices frighten me with their silence.

Journal Entry 40616.

Things are going from bad to worse. Before we are ready, the H'Manz have dealt us a blow. They launched a surprise attack, and have forced us to flee. Fortunately, our losses were slight, and we were able to leave with the bulk of the D'Errans, and the C'Laronolth. As we moved the C'Laronolth, I 'sensed' it's regret at the necessity of the war. I do not understand this. Neither do I understand the resistance it put up when we moved it. Regrettably, we have been forced to leave our ships behind, but we know they shall be safe, as it will be centuries before the H'Manz are technologically advanced enough to operate them. We have used the C'Laronolth to create a body of water between the H'Manz and our new lands, which we shall call 'New Dredni'. This will keep us safe while we prepare. The voices are angry. They tell me we meddle in affairs that should no longer concern us.

Journal Entry 40659.

I fear we have made a mistake! At Lord Tsooz' command, I have used the C'Laronolth to change our people, splitting them into four groups, to prepare for the day when we reclaim D'Erra. The first group, the most numerous, I have changed to become the backbone of our people. They are now tougher and stronger, capable of long periods of toil. I have reduced their reasoning capability, to allow them to obey orders unquestioningly. We have called these people Tanbo-ens. The second group I have altered to become the plotters, the warriors. These will be the people who will lead our armies of Tanbo-ens. I have instilled in them an awareness of the future, the ability to sense that something will happen. We will not be surprised again. These, we have called Kalithen. The Third group, the Perdreians, I have altered to be the leaders. They will be the thinkers, the intellectuals, the technologists. It will be their task to create new technologies, to drive our people forward. The fourth group will be the wise people of the races, their spiritual leaders, aiding and supporting them all. They are unnamed, as they will appear from among those of the other three races. We shall, however, call those blessed with these gifts, simply The Seers, The voices do not like this, and they scream their displeasure. I had to work harder to effect these changes than ever before. It was as if the C'Laronolth was resisting me. I have found that by inserting crystal rods into the base, I can enforce my will upon it.
Last edited by WR on Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
WR
Addicted Roswellian

The Importance of Being Elizabeth - Book 1

Post by WR »

Journal Entry 41381.

I have discovered another use of the C'Laronolth. It allows me to see the lands D'Erra. I want to see if I can use it to travel to the land that I see. I am reluctant to try for how do I get back? The voices assure me I can trust it, but as their gifts seem to have two edges, I am reluctant to do so.

Journal Entry 41383.

It works! What marvellous uses we can put this to! Let our enemies tremble.

Journal Entry 41389.

A strange new religion is sweeping our people. Those who follow the ideology call for an end to this preparation for war. They say we should live in peace and harmony, as one people. They call upon us to reverse the changes we have made to them, and to leave their planet. They call themselves 'Saviours of the Soul'. I have discovered that this cult is even found among the H'Manz. How can this be? We have had no contact with the H'Manz in a decade.

Journal Entry 63151.

Catastrophe! King Shadoral of the Perdreians has the C'Laronolth. I do not know how he discovered its existence, or even its location, but he has it now. Lord Tsooz has demanded its return, but King Shadoral claims that it is safer in his hands. They no longer consider us their Gods, despite the fact that we appear no older now than when we arrived on this planet two centuries ago. He has demanded that we swear fealty to him. The voices have stopped talking to me. I have strong suspicions that the C'Laronolth wanted King Shadoral to take it. The warnings it gave me come to mind. Maybe I should have listened.

Journal Entry 63274.

The H'Manz have attacked. It seems that despite our efforts, the H'Manz are still superior. How have they managed to maintain a technological advantage over the D'Errans, when they are unaided? Clearly, they have had assistance from somewhere. I fear we shall be overcome. They seem to be marching on King Shadoral's palace in the City of Dredni. Is this where he keeps the C'Laronolth, and does it now call the H'Manz?

Journal Entry 63305.

King Shadoral has learned how to use the C'Laronolth. He has effected a change to An'Tahar's atmosphere. I know this because tests show that the volume of nitrogen in the atmosphere is decreasing. He must have changed the three races to adapt to this change, but will the H'Manz be able to cope? What will become of them?

Journal Entry 63997.

The last of the invading H'Manz forces have been driven from New Dredni. Over the years, they have not adapted to the changing atmosphere, and this affects them badly. Although they have protective suits that helps them breathe, they are no longer a match for the D'Errans. Plans are under way to return to D'Erra. It is obvious that King Shadoral has made more changes. They appear to have additional abilities. The Perdreians appear to be able to 'alter' their physical shape. We fear that this is an attempt to enable them to use our weaponry, should they acquire it. Another problem has arisen. When we originally altered the D'Errans, we desired the maintenance of the racial differences. To that end, we made it such that each race would consider breeding outside their race abhorrant. However, evidence suggests that Prince Traznor of the Perdreians, heir to the throne of An'Tahar is attracted to Princess Isozilde, daughter to the Kalithen King Kador. My initial reaction was to inform their parents, for who knows the power an offspring from such a union would hold. The voices have returned, and have spoken to me. "This is as it should be." I have decided to remain silent.

Journal Entry 63462.

The Perdreians, the Kalithens and the Tanbo-ens have returned to lands of D'Erra. The H'Manz, weakened in their protective suits, are being slaughtered as they are found. I can almost sense the wails from the C'Laronolth, for I know now that they did not want this. Prince Traznor and Lady Isozilde implore their fathers to seek a peaceful solution, but they are ignored. Followers of the 'Soul' cult also cry for peace, but are struck down by their own kind as traitors. Extinction beckons for the H'Manz. I wish I could help them.

Journal Entry 63463.

I had a dream last night. I have not had one since the day we took the C'Laronolth from the planet of the Ancient Ones. In my dream, an old man appeared before me. He looked like a H'Manz, or the D'Errans, before we changed them, but he was small and frail. He had long white hair, and a short white beard. He wore black robes, with gold piping, and leaned against a staff of gold. He suggested that we gather together the remaining H'Manz aboard our Battle Cruiser, and take them to a new planet. I saw the planet in my drean, and the man told me that we should "Fly towards the sun.". When I suggested this to Lord Tsooz, he surprisingly agreed, for he claims to have received the same dream. A delegation sent to the H'Manz returned with even more surprising news. They have accepted our offer. Did their leader have the dream too?

Journal Entry 63496.

As we flew directly at the sun, as commanded, we came upon a wormhole. As we enter, I can scarcely believe that we have actually escaped. We had managed to gather the remaining H'Manz on the plain of D'Erra where we first arrived. With our Battle Cruiser on the water's edge, we had already loaded a good proportion of the H'Manz on board when the massed forces of the D'Errans arrived, lead by King Shadoral and King Kador themselves. They had not come to talk, and there was no way our ship was ready to leave. All seemed lost, and we resigned ourselves to our fates as the slaughter began. A booming voice called from the pyramid above us. "Stop!" it had ordered, and no one could resist his command. The being was the Perdreian heir to the throne, Prince Traznor, and he was wearing the golden robes of the "Saviours of the Soul" cult. At his side, also clad in gold, and holding Prince Traznor's hand was Lady Isozilde. A shield of power, a shimmering green film, appeared between the remaining H'Manz and the army before them. Prince Traznor turned to his father at the head of the columns and demanded that he allow us to leave. He warned that the Guardians of the Universe were not pleased, that he was tampering with their plan. King Shadoral's reply left it clear that there would be no peace that day. He warned Prince Traznor to step aside, or he would remove him from the line of succession. At the king's command, the massed armies hurled their might at the shield. We managed to load the last of the H'Manz as the shield finally dropped. Our ship quickly put to sea and as the shore became distant, we left the planet An'Tahar, knowing we will never see in again. Completely unbidden, a holographic projection appeared in centre of the bridge. It was of the scene below. We were forced to watch in horror as King Shadoral and King Kador led their Royal guards up the pyramid. Prince Traznor was quickly subdued, and bound in chains. Beside him, Lady Isozilde was cut down, slain by a hand unseen. The suspicious looks the two Kings gave each other indicated that the alliance was over. The prince stared in horror at the lifeless body of Isozilde, and when he finally spoke, the despair in his voice was clear.

"The Guardians of the Universe speak to me, and is angry with you all. You have tampered with their plan and have prevented that which should have been. Know now that I speak of our doom.

In the days of ripened plenty, when the usurped King-to-be sits at last on the Throne of the Five, he shall be laid low by a simple act of treachery, from within his own heart.

All will seem lost and in despair. Brother will attack Brother. Sister will attack sister. None shall know who is friend and who is foe. The trusted shall become as the enemy. Right hand shall become left. The beloved dead, the last hope for the Universe shall be hidden among the caves of the salvaged ones, while the Grand Usurper searches for the key to power.

When the broken King repaired, repairs the broken Queen in the lands of the ancient foe, then shall the Five know their doom approaches. The Kalithen Queen, usurped of her rightful place by a false destiny, shall overcome the false words of the Perdreian King, returned from his false doom. She shall prove her devotion, and claim her re-birthright. From a love that seems doomed to the endless darkness of confusion and torment shall arise a flame so bright that it shall prevail against the darkest of evils. The Kalithen Queen, in her full glory shall purify the Five by covering them with her burning flames.

All will be healed. Then shall the rightful rulers of the Five rise to their exalted position. Then shall the Soul of the Universe be satisfied, for all shall be as it should have been. The balance will be restored."

Journal Entry 63496.

Too late, we realised we have left our sister ship behind. We should have destroyed it. There is a strange mood that pervades the ship. The H'Manz are fearful of their future. We are all fearful of what we have witnessed. One question worries us. Who or what is "The Soul of the Universe"?

Journal Entry 63497.

I have had another dream. In it, I learned how to create a new C'Laronolth. I started to build it the moment I awoke.

Journal Entry 64126.

It is complete. It has been a strange experience. As soon as I determined that I needed material I knew we did not have on the ship, it was found in the storeroom. How is this possible? I know we loaded no supplies, yet our hold is full. At no time did we consider loading food for the H'Manz, yet no one has gone hungry. What miracle is this? I wonder if the C'Laronolth spoke to each of the H'Manz, and they brought sufficient materials with them? It is the only explanation I can think of.

Journal Entry 64127.

We finally emerged from the wormhole, two years after we have left An'Tahar. It ended near a large, blue, uninhabited planet with eight moons. There were rings around the planet. The sun was so distant, it was a small spec. We wondered if this could be the planet from my dream, for it too was blue. A voice tells me no. It is strange, not at all like the voices I heard back on An'Tahar. They were many, almost as if the population of a whole planet spoke. This is a single voice. It was the same voice of the old man in my dream. We continue towards the distant sun.

Journal Entry 64135.

We have found it, the small blue green planet of my dream, that I have been told to call Gaia. The voice has told me to separate the H'Manz into a number of groups. I know exactly where on this planet to leave each separate group, and to use the new C'Laronolth to instil knowledge and skills necessary for the group to survive in the selected region. I am careful to follow the instruction exactly; I do not want to fail again. What is strange, is that I have the distinct feeling that 'where' is not the only part of where we leave them. I also feel that there is a 'when' is involved.

Journal Entry 64183.

The last group of H'Manz have been left at the area I have chosen. Or is it the area I have been told to choose? I fear for these people. The area is a rocky and barren wasteland. To the south, a large body of land, separated by a narrow isthmus contains huge tracts of fertile land and rain forests. To the north are huge plains suitable for growing the wheat and grain we brought with us. I cannot help but think that these people will not survive long here. The voice tells me it is not my concern, for these people have an important task. I wonder if the new C'Laronolth has somehow made changes I am not aware of. Perhaps it has merely taught them how to survive in such an inhospitable place. The voice calls the land 'Chaco', and the people 'Anasazi'. The voice has never named the land, or the people before.

Journal Entry 64184.

I feel like I have awakened from a bad dream. I no longer think I have been responsible for my actions, but have been directed by someone or something. Was it the Soul of the Universe? Lord Tsooz asked me why I have been wearing gold robes.

Journal Entry 64351.

Our Battle Cruiser now floats on a sea, invisible from any shore. We have retained a number of H'Manz as servants, and using the new C'Laronolth, we have created rings of islands around the ship on which they can live. We have created a paradise, and everyone is happy. We have noticed that we are showing signs of ageing at last. A routine check has revealed that our ship's engines no longer function. This planet will be our final resting-place.

Journal Entry 64813.

We continue to visit the lands of the H'Manz, checking on their progress. What else is there to do? All are thriving, and creating civilisations. It is interesting to see that they now consider us to be Gods, and how they are all drawn to mountains. The race that calls themselves Greeks build their temples to us on top of Mountains, and claim we live on the highest mountain of all, one they call Olympus. The race called Egyptians live in a flat environment, but build their own mountains, stepped pyramids, as tombs to their Kings, who they liken to Gods. The Mayans build pyramids on top of mountains, and sacrifice their own people to us. To their north, the ones called the Anasazi build strangely shaped communities where no people dwell, from materials hauled great distances, and carve strange images into the rocks. They place stones in strange positions that cast shadows and light from the sun upon these images. They seem to be preoccupied with the rising and setting of both the sun and the moon, and build their walls to align with the positions of the solstices. It is almost as if they are calculating something. What disturbs me the most are the religious groups to the east, who create temples in the depths of their forests, and place huge golden statues before them. Every time I see one, I remember Prince Traznor and Princess Isozilde with sadness. The voice tells me they will be together. I am glad of that. A growing religion that worships just a single God claims that when a person dies, their souls live in his house. I imagine the Prince and his Princess are there, together by his side. I am tired of playing God.

Journal Entry 65008. Final Entry.

This is the end. Our ship is on fire, and it is only a matter of time before it explodes. There is plenty of time to flee, but we have had enough. The H'Manz that remained with us have been evacuated to safety in the boats they have made, and we now sit and await our end. This has been a good ship, and a good home. The voice has spoken to me. It said, "We thank you." As the end approaches, I think of the future of this planet, the problems they will surely have. Despite their war like nature, I think they will survive. I wonder, will their descendants ever know that they originally arrived on the planet in an ark called An'Tahlantis?

End of Book 1
WR
Addicted Roswellian

The Importance of Being Elizabeth - Book 2

Post by WR »

Summary: Takes place in a different time. Why was Max attracted to Liz from the first time he saw her?

Rating: PG

Authors Note: For this story, I have altered the ages of some key characters.

Book 2

Part 1

In the dark and empty void of the galaxy, less than a hundred thousand miles away from a large, blue, uninhabited planet with no fewer than eight moons, a slight rippling appeared in the fabric of space. In a sudden flash of bright light, a sleek space craft appeared, almost magically, and hurtled towards the bright yellow star at the centre of this system, a long beam of white light trailing from the position the craft appeared to its current position. Its deceleration was rapid, allowing the tail of light to at last catch up with it. As it slowed to a more reasonable speed, the ship changed its trajectory, aiming towards the planet's distant yellow sun. The ship's destination was a small blue green planet, the third one from its sun.

Inside the ship, Prince Zan stood before the polished metal surface that served as a mirror, and gazed at the reflection before him. Although he bore the same shape as the beings that lived on the blue green planet below, all similarities ended there. His smooth skin was a mottled grey colour; his body, his arms and his legs were very thin. His abnormally large head was hair free, and held two black almond shaped eyes. He wore no clothing, yet his body appeared completely sexless. He lifted his head suddenly, noticing the high pitched whistle of the Star Drive as it disengaged. They had emerged safely from the wormhole, and it was time to change back.

Prince Zan held his grey hand before him, with his long thin fingers outstretched. The room was filled with a pale blue light that seemed to come from within him, and his features slowly changed. His skin turned a pale, an almost translucent pink, and bronze colored hair appeared on his head, which had shrunk to a size that did not seem overly large. Male genitalia appeared at the juncture of his legs. His large eyes however, remained black and almond shaped. With a deep sigh of relief, he waved a hand at a wall. The smooth metallic surface shimmered, and then seemed to melt away to reveal a wardrobe with some shiny white overalls. He removed a pair of these, and stepped into them. At once, the smooth material moulded itself to his shape.

"I hate this," he spat at his reflection, and with another wave of his hand, the wardrobe was immediately covered with a molten metal that quickly solidified, back to it's original condition.

His father, King Xandor, had sent him on this six-year scientific survey mission to a distant planet of advancing life forms that one day might pose a threat to the Five Planets. It was a punishment for his refusal to marry.

Behind him, a buzzer sounded, indicating that someone outside sought his attention.

"Enter!" he called.

A section of the wall seemed to melt away with an audible hiss. Someone entered the room. Like Prince Zan, he had pale translucent skin, but its hue was a more pale in colour. His hair was almost pure white, and his head was not quite as large. His body was slightly stockier, for unlike Zan, who was Perdreian, this man belonged to the Kalithen race. He was considerably older than the young Prince.

"Greetings, your highness." the newcomer spoke with a bow. The man always spoke with a kind of tenseness in his voice, as if the words were carefully formed. "I see you have recovered from the journey."

"Do you know just how much I dislike taking on that shape, Tentious?" he enquired.

"But your highness surely understands how much more preferable it is to take that shape, which is more conducive to the pressures of faster than light speed. It makes your metabolism such that the two year journey from Antar seems as but two weeks for you."

There was a touch of animosity in his statement, for this was an ability the Kalithens did not possess.

Prince Zan looked at him sharply. Tentious was Prince Zan's tutor, a dedicated teacher who had been tasked with ensuring Prince Zan learned everything that he would need to know, so that he would one day be fit to rule Antar and the Five Planets. It was a thankless task, for Prince Zan quickly grew bored with lessons, and would seldom listen. His tutors always quit. Tentious was his tenth tutor, and his lectures were by far the most boring. Zan often wondered how such a boring person as Tentious could ever become a tutor.

Zan was accustomed to his tutors showing silent frustration at his antics, and generally he ignored them, but never the anger that seemed to constantly simmer in Tentious. He needed a reminder of his station.

"You forget to whom you speak, Tentious!" he barked.

"Your pardon, Prince Zan. I'm not yet... ah, I mean... ah, I..." Tentious stammered with discomfort, sounding absolutely horrified. "Please forgive me!"

A strange look of fear surged through him. Zan simply laughed at the stammering fool, enjoying the man's discomfort. "So, I suppose you have come to try and teach me something?" he asked, finally ending the torment, and heading through the doorway. "Of what shall I learn nothing, today?"

Zan did not see the angry look of hatred Tentious threw him, but he sensed it all the same.

After waiting for Tentious to take the lead, Prince Zan followed his Tutor, who lead him to the large viewing gallery in the heart of the ship. The doors 'melted' open with a hiss, and they stepped in to the large domed chamber. Around the edge, the viewing gallery was filled with the Perdreian and Kalithen Technicians, as well as the Tanbo-en workers. They were busy setting the viewing data screens to record the data from the planet that still appeared as a small speck in the holographic image that filled the centre of dome. Prince Zan and Tentious each took one of the seats reserved for them at the back of the room, on a raised dais. They each placed a visor over their eyes, while Tentious started to wave his fingers, playing with imaginary controls. They both touched the sides of the their visors, which went dark.

Before Zan's eyes, an image of the small planet zoomed closer.

"It's inhabitants call it Earth, so we call them Earthlings." Tentious stated. "Diameter, twelve thousand, seven hundred and fifty six kilometres. Average distance from its sun, one hundred and forty nine point six million kilometres. Orbital speed around its sun, twenty-seven point seven nine kilometres per second. Mass, Volume and Gravity is similar to ours. Average surface temperature, fifteen degrees Celsius. Its atmosphere is a mixture of the gases, mainly nitrogen, hydrogen and oxygen, water and dust. Nitrogen is at such a high volume, this planet is lethal to we Kalithens, but you Perdreians could easily adapt."

"What do you mean?" Zan asked. "Would we have to change, like when we do for travelling at light speeds?"

"No," your highness, Tentious sighed, as though he had explained this a dozen times or more. "Your bodies are so adaptable, they would simply... adjust to the atmosphere. You would notice no difference, yet for us, the air would be like acid."

Tentious continued droning on about the Earth, it's geography, and it's history. After fifteen minutes, Zan grew bored with the lecture, and quietly slipped his visor off. Leaving his tutor talking to himself, Zan approached the wall of the gallery, and found an unmanned console. Looking around, and seeing no obvious occupant, he slid into the seat, which instantly moulded itself to him.

"Plot course." He spoke clearly, so the computer would understand him, "Start, Earth. Destination, Antar. Display."

Above the console, a small image of Earth appeared, and a thin red line stretched away through a myriad of stars. Zan used his fingers to pull against the holographic line, as though he were reeling in a fish on the end of a line, watching the planets and the stars zoom by as the image followed the line into the depths of space. Finally, as Antar came into view, he started pushing against the line, and watched Antar recede. He kept his eyes fixed on the glowing planets, and was surprised to see that when he finally returned to the image of Earth, the V shaped cluster of the Five Planets was still visible. He wished the ship had viewing windows, so that he might look upon home. He would never admit this to anyone, but he missed his family. He missed his father, and his father's constant attempts to mould him into a great leader. He missed his mother, and her plans to make them the most beloved rulers ever. He even missed Ava, the silly girl with the nervous giggle, who his father wanted him to marry, because her father was his father's best friend, and leader of the Kalithens. Most of all he missed his sister, Vilondra.

"What do you think you are doing!" a female voice angrily demanded, snapping Zan back to his current situation.

How dare this woman talk to him this way. Zan turned, intent on giving the new comer a scorching look that would cause her to slink away, back to whatever dark corner from which she had come. Instead, he looked up into a pair of eyes that, although blazing in fury, were the most beautiful he had ever seen.

"I... I... ah, that is... "

Uncharacteristically, Zan started to stammer. He had never seen such eyes before. She was clearly Kalithen, and had the same almond shaped eyes they all shared, but they were deep brown in colour, not black. A sign? She was quite lovely, even in her anger. He had never met this girl before, yet she seemed so... familiar.

"Get out of my console, now!" she barked. "Just who do you think you are? If you do not remove yourself instantly, I shall call security."

Zan slid from her console, and could only watch as she took his place. With a disgusted flick of her fingers, the image over the console disappeared.

"Homesick moron!" she spat. "Some of us have real work to do. Shouldn't you be attending to whatever task it is that you are trying to avoid?"

"Do you know who I am?" Zan asked, having recovered from his momentary lapse. Who is this girl, and why does she affect me so much? I could have her arrested for speaking to me like this.

"No." she stated firmly, "And I don't care. Now please leave! Do you realise how much trouble I could get into? If you've damaged anything!"

"Um... no... no damage." Zan apologised. "Look, you won't get into trouble, I'll see to it. Okay? I'm sorry."

"That's typical of you Perdreians. You think the Universe revolves around you! All puffed up with your own importance!" She pointed away from her console. "Go! Just... go!"

Zan started to chuckle, as he left the angry girl's console. No one had ever spoken to him like that, well, with the exception of Vilondra. He admired her fire. As he passed near to the command console, he glanced up and saw the two supervisors having an agitated discussion. Zan noticed that part of their display was blank, and that they were looking angrily at the girl he had just left. He realised that he had got her into trouble after all.

"Excuse me," he interrupted.

The supervisors, both Perdreians, looked up, their faces showing their awe at their visitor.

"Your highness," they both exclaimed with a bow. "How may we serve?"

"The young Kalithen, down there." he said pointing. "What is her name?"

They both looked at him, with stunned amazement on their faces.

"That is Taysha, my lord, Science Technician Class A." one exclaimed, as if that explained it all. "Don't worry, Prince Zan, she shall be punished for her impertinence."

"Uh, no, that won't be necessary. It was my fault."

The two men looked puzzled.

"I interrupted her. That's why her console isn't functioning yet. She was answering some questions for me."

"I see." one of them said, just as her console leapt into life.

"There." said Zan with a smile. "She's ready. No need to mention this discussion to Taysha, is there?"

The two supervisors shook their heads, their mouths open as if in shock. With a sigh, Zan returned to his seat. Tentious had continued his lecture, unaware that he had no student listening to him. Zan replaced the visor, but did not engage it. Instead, knowing that she would be unable to see him, he watched the lovely young Kalithen technician as she wove her magic over her console.

Last edited by WR on Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WR
Addicted Roswellian

Post by WR »

Part 2

After he had finished his lessons with Tentious, Zan made his way to the refectory. He had not yet eaten that day, and was surprised at how hungry he was. Rather than find the officer's quarters, where he would be treated reverently, he went to the crews' quarters. Although he was tempted to use his Royal Personage to bypass the other crewmembers standing patiently in a line, he decided that it was better to cling to at least a little anonymity. Sometimes his titles, like his duty, were a little too heavy for him. There were a few people who recognised him, but they usually did their best to remain unnoticed by him. He soon reached the serving hatches where he received his meal, his additional vitamin tablets, and a large jug of water. He spotted a free table, made his way there, and started eating.

He was halfway through his meal, when he saw his closest friend, Rath. Rath was son of Lord Servetrius, the leader of the Kalithens, and his father's most loyal ally. They had met just six years ago, no wait, two years lost to the journey, that would be eight years ago, at a formal gathering in the palace of Rath's father. It was a joint celebration of the two boys, who had never met, reaching manhood. Initially, they had taken an instant dislike to each other, resulting in fisticuffs in the servant's yard behind the kitchens. It was Zan's sister that had broken up the fight, after which the two laughed about it, starting a strong friendship. With their faces badly bruised, neither were able to make an appearance at the function, and had spent the night finding endless ways to compete against each other without resorting to violence. Zan had only one other friend, Larek, but since he had already become leader of the Planet Toogar, he seldom saw him.

It was at this function that the politics of the Kalithens had dramatically changed. The leader of the Kalithens at the time, Lord Talbuth, was an outspoken opponent to King Xandor. Although Lord Talbuth was as loyal as any, he was not a 'yes' man, often advising against certain policies and decisions, always standing up to the King. He had taken his opposition too far, and that night, while Zan and Rath were otherwise engaged, the line was crossed, and treason was committed. At once, all possessions and titles were stripped from the traitorous Lord Talbuth and given to the newly proclaimed Lord, Servetrius, King Xandor's oldest friend. Zan never did discover what had happened to Talbuth, or what it was he had done, but then, he didn't really care. There was fun to be had.

Like Zan, wearing the simple white suit robbed Rath of his recognisable features, allowing him to enter the refectory with minimum fuss. Rath looked around the room, with concern on his face. When he spotted Zan, that concern was replaced with relief. Rath made his way to Zan's table and sat with him.

"Zan, everyone's looking for you," he laughed, looking around. "I see that you are slumming it today."

Zan looked about the room. For the first time, he noticed a kind of segregation. The Perdreians sat to the back of the room, the best seats, away from the entrance and the serving hatches. The Kalithens sat in the middle, while the Tanbo-ens filled the rest, the areas least popular. He shook his head.

"No," Zan smiled. "I just wanted to relax for a moment. You know, just be normal."

Rath sat down across from his friend.

"But you're not normal." he stated, simply. "You are Prince Zan, heir to the throne of Antar and the Five Planet Alliance."

"Don't you ever want to escape, Rath? From the pressures, I mean." Zan sighed. "If it's not the endless lectures, it's the meetings on protocol and diplomacy, or assisting in plans for state affairs, or even, the Universe preserve us, my wedding."

"You sound like you don't want to marry my sister." Rath accused. "Don't you like her?"

Zan looked up sharply.

"Come on, Rath! This is me, Zan!" he snapped. "You know how I feel about your sister. How many times have we talked about this? Of course I like her. She's fun, she's witty, and she is so loyal."

"She would make the perfect wife for you." Rath countered.

"No, Rath. She would be no different than any other woman to whom my mother might marry me. She would nod her head and say yes to anything

I say. If I suggested strapping engines to Antar, and steer the planet into the sun, she would tell me what a good idea it was." Zan looked at Rath, his eyes intense. "I need someone who would challenge me, who would tell me how stupid that was. Someone to make me think!"

"So not Ava then." Rath chuckled.

"No, not Ava." Zan smiled. "But unfortunately, the political implications are such that our marriage is inevitable."

"You could have said yes to the marriage, you know." Rath grumbled. "You could have saved us a trip to this miserable planet."

They sat quietly, each lost in thought.

"Did you know that they are very much like us?" Zan asked, throwing Rath off balance.

"Who?"

"Earthlings. They look very much like us, well more like the Tanbo-ens, actually. They just have smaller heads, and slightly larger torsos. Their society has pretty much the same structure, they have Kings, Queens, and they make and break alliances. The main difference is that they are all too willing to make war, rather than try to discuss their grievances first. It makes you wonder, doesn't it?"

"You've lost me, Zan. Makes you wonder what?"

"Do you think that these Earthlings might be the ancient race of H'Manz?"

"That's just a myth, Zan, a fairy tale. Do you seriously expect me to believe that they are real?"

"These Earthlings, they sound so much like your 'fairy tales.'"

"So how do you know so much about Earthlings? Don't tell me you finally have a tutor you listen to."

"No," laughed Zan. "If I let you in on a secret, will you keep it quiet?"

"Yeah. So what gives?"

"The reason I get bored with the tutors, is that I learned everything already with Glister, my first tutor. We went through everything during those first two years. Then he showed me how to expand my studies. At nights, when I can't sleep, which is often, I pull up the holo-vid, and read anything I haven't yet learned."

"So your boredom with the tutors is because you already know it? Why don't you just tell them, or your parents."

Zan grinned.

"Because this drives them crazy. Besides, they would just find something else for me to do. Sometimes, I can sneak away. Like today. Listen, I met this..."

"Do you mind if I sit here?" a voice demanded as a newcomer sat, not waiting for an answer.

WR
Addicted Roswellian

Post by WR »

Part 3

As the Perdreian left her console, Taysha saw the two supervisors looking at her angrily.

"Great." she said to herself. "Just great."

Her fingers flickered above the console, and when the image finally leapt to life, she nervously glanced up at the two men, expecting to see them marching towards her. Instead, they stood by their own console looking at her with a stunned expression. She sighed with relief when it became apparent she would not be reprimanded. As she flicked her fingers through the images for whose accumulation she was responsible, she berated herself for her attitude with the young man at whom she had erupted. That was not like her at all, and she had been so rude.

She had woken late that morning, having spent last night with her father, before he resumed his official duties. They were sort of celebrating, knowing they would finally disengage the Star Drive, and return to a normal speed. Once out of light speed, the endless pain they suffered in their Kalithen bodies, as a result of the increased pressure of light speed, would cease. They had stayed up late, her father complaining about the thankless task that he had to perform. So she had arrived at her console late, to find some young Perdreian had tied up her console mapping a route home. She had reacted in anger, despite the fact that she had mapped that same route every day now, for the past two years. How was he to know that he was causing her to be even more late? He obviously saw the empty console, and thought it was OK to use. If she hadn't been late in the first place, it would not have happened.

Taysha let out a guilty sigh, and promised herself that if she ever met the young man again, she would apologise. She would even invite him back to her console, so he could see images of home. Wait. What was she thinking? Her father and her Uncle would skin her alive if they knew she had even considered showing a Perdreian some kindness. Yet he had shown kindness to her, in a way. He had offered to try and prevent her getting in trouble. The way she had reacted to him, he did not have to do that. Besides, he had nice eyes. Stop It! He's Perdreian. Besides, she doubted she would see him again, and felt strangely sad at the thought. A quick glance around the room showed no sign of him. He would probably avoid her anyway. And why did he seem so… familiar?

As she continued with her work, she became aware of her father. She would not look at him, in case she brought trouble on him. She knew he hated his task, but he had no choice. And if they decided to take that task away from him, well, it didn't bear thinking about. Especially given that he was stuck with HIM, the source of all their problems. It was only eight years ago that this job would have been considered beneath her. But then Prince Zan had visited with the traitorous Lord Servetrius, and her whole life crashed around her. Her Uncle had sworn that, one-day, all the wrongs would be righted. Did the prophecy not say how the Kalithen Queen would be restored? That she would destroy the Perdreian usurpers? Soon, it would be Kalithens that ruled Antar.

Time had dragged interminably slowly. The Science Technician assigned to relieve her arrived, on time she noted dryly, and she slid out of her console. She quickly glanced to where her father had been working earlier, but noticed that he had gone. This would be the first meal she had taken alone in two years. No one else would want to be seen with her. There was no one else waiting for food when she arrived, but the dining hall was packed. There was just one table with any space, towards the back, the section where the Perdreians sat. She was astonished to see the young man to whom she had been rude, talking with a young Kalithen. She also noticed the strange looks the pair received from the others. Swallowing hard, and ignoring the looks from the other Kalithens and the Perdreians both, she went towards them, and sat next to the Kalithen.

WR
Addicted Roswellian

Post by WR »

Part 4

Zan looked up, recognising instantly the girl who had ejected him from her console.

Rath just glared at her.

"Beat it!" he snapped.

Zan kicked Rath's legs beneath the table, who suddenly flinched in pain.

"Ignore my friend." he said politely, with a big smile on his face. "We have no objections at all to your sitting here. Please, join us."

She looked at him thankfully; he obviously harboured no feelings of ill will over this morning. As their eyes met, they could both feel a sudden surge of energy, as if sparks were flying between them. After what seemed like ages of just staring into one another's eyes, they both looked away quickly. Trying to cover his momentary embarrassment, Zan reached out his hand.

"My name's Jervad." he lied, giving the shocked Rath a severe look.

Taysha took his hand. Almost immediately, an image arose in her mind.

It was an image of an Earthling male; she had seen them on her console often enough, with short dark hair, and deep, dark eyes. He was leaning over her, looking into her own eyes and pleading with her. His eyes were filled with fear and pain, and she could sense a deep-seated loneliness. She could also sense that the man above desperately loved her. Although she could not see herself, she was in pain. It was a pain that the young man was trying to remove. The edges of her vision were going dark and she knew that she was dying. Somehow, she knew that she had actually died.

Taysha was stunned as they slowly released their grip on each other, but they did not look away. The energy was still there, but they held each other's stare. The looks of confusion on his own face showed that he too had seen a vision. Was it the same one? What did it mean, she wondered? She realised that the Kalithen was staring at them both with a worried frown.

"Um... Liz." she murmured. What? Where had that come from? She shook her head. "I mean… Taysha. My name's Taysha."

After following Zan's lead, and giving the fictitious name of 'Kandor', Rath leaned back in his chair, and watched the scene play out before him. 'Jervad' and Taysha quietly talked together, almost non-stop. It started after Taysha apologised for her behaviour earlier that day, while 'Jervad' had told her the fault was entirely his. Every now and then, Rath would tease Zan, like asking 'Jervad' to let Taysha know just what his job was on this expedition. Without even hesitating, Zan explained he was simply a Data Technician, helping to analyse that data they collected. He then rewarded Rath for his impertinence by suggesting that Rath was a simple Maintenance Technician. The conversation between the three went well, and Taysha was pleased to finally find someone who actually accepted her for who she was, even if one of them was a Perdreian.

"Why did you lie to her?" Rath asked after Taysha had left, realising that she was late.

"I don't know." Zan answered, suddenly looking confused. "It was like this voice in my head told me to use a false name. Thank you for backing me up."

"Yeah. I don't have any idea why you feel the need to lie, but if you're thinking of sowing your Royal oats, something tells me you won't have any luck with her. There's something about her. I think I know her."

"Me too." Zan said quietly. "And no. I am not thinking of her in that way."

"What? You think you know her too?"

"Rath, while I was in my, ah... other shape, I had a dream. I was standing before a large army, high on a mountain. I was wearing golden robes, and I was saying something to my father, telling him to stop doing something."
"Hah! If your father hears about this, he will probably increase your punishment by making you stay out here another year. King Xandor is not one to talk back to, even in your dreams."

"No, No. It wasn't my father, you know, the King. It was someone else. But I knew he was my father."

"So what does this confusing gibberish have to do with Taysha?"

"I didn't recognise her, in my dream, I mean. Not until I saw her. Taysha was standing next to me, and I knew she was important to me. Her name wasn't Taysha, of course, but I think she was my wife, or something. She was the daughter of the Kalithen King."

"Zan," Rath said releasing a long breath. "Kalitha hasn't had a King for generations. And to my knowledge, Ava will be the first Kalithen to ever marry a Perdreian."

Zan wanted to tell Rath about the strange vision he had when he touched Taysha's hand, but he was starting to doubt his own sanity. Too many unexplained things were happening to him. He had been hearing strange voices in his head for ages now. It started the day his father showed him the Granolith. The strange crystalline chamber seemed almost familiar to him; it almost seemed as though it welcomed him. His father told him of its power, and how it must never be allowed to fall in any one else's hands. To that end, his father wanted him to marry the daughter of his oldest friend and ally, Lord Servetrius. Such a union would strengthen their position, removing the threat of a rebellion by disloyal Kalithens. Zan would have to agree to this, it was a fact to which he had resigned himself years previously. Voices in his head screamed with outrage, and told him to refuse. Before Zan could fully understand what was going on, he told his father no. In a fit of anger, his father had sent him on this mission. Lately, a single voice had been calling for him to visit the planet's surface.

After the next lecture with Tentious had ended, Zan asked him not to leave just yet.

"But your highness," he cautiously objected. "The lecture is over. You are free to go."

"What do you know of our history, Tentious?"

"I believe that I am amongst the most knowledgeable in that field, Prince Zan. What is it you wish to know?

"Has there ever been a union between a Perdreian Prince, and a Princess of Kalitha?"

"Yes, Prince Zan. Yourself and Lady Ava. Although she does not posses the title 'Princess'."

Tentious' voice emphasised the word Lady, indicating he had his own opinion of Ava. Zan let the scarcely veiled insult pass.

"No, before." He continued. "Probably centuries ago."

"No your highness. That has never happened before."

Zan knew he was lying.

The weeks passed by, while Zan continued to be bored by Tentious' lectures, but he now had additional duties. He worked with one of his father's intelligence chiefs, sifting through the information on the Earthling's latest technological advancements, watching for the signs that would indicate the Earthlings' closeness to entering space. Zan had commented how the greatest leaps involved some weapon of destruction.

"They are a violent race, your highness." The intelligence chief confirmed.

Rath was tied up in military meetings, constantly vigilant for any threat to the ship, both external and internal. Such were the times. When not on duty, both Rath and Zan would wait in the refectory for Taysha, who would join them when her own shift had finished. Their conversations ranged across the whole spectrum of topics, in the way of good friends. A trust was building between the three of them.

"My sister would love you!" Zan, pretending to be Jervad, laughed after a particularly amusing anecdote, which belittled the bemused Jervad.

It was late one afternoon when the conversation turned conspiratorial.

"Tell me, Jervad. Do you know Prince Zan?" Taysha asked hesitantly.

"Hah!" snorted Kandor. "I think that it is true to say that they know each other very well!"

Jervad glared at Kandor, but it did little to stop him. He thought this might prove fun.

"In fact, I would say that right now, both wishes the other didn't exist." He added.

The two men stared at each other.

"I don't like him either." Taysha stated quietly.

Jervad spun back to Taysha quickly.

"Oh? And why not?" asked Kandor, clearly enjoying his friend's sudden discomfort.

"Because my uncle stopped him from raping me." she answered softly. "And my family has been paying the price ever since."

Both young men looked at her sharply.

"What?" they both exclaimed.

Kandor and Jervad looked at each other with confusion on their faces. She looked around, making sure no one was listening to them, and leaned

over the table.

"Eight years ago," she whispered, "Prince Zan and his family were visiting Lord Servetrius for some function, I forget what. I had just turned of age and it was my first Royal Ball. I was so excited, I was actually looking forward to meeting Lord Rath and Prince Zan. I had heard that Prince Zan was so charming, and my family hoped we might strike up a friendship. Not for marriage or anything, everyone knows how much he loves Lady Ava."

The two men exchanged uncomfortable looks.

"Anyway, I was young, and it was my first visit to Lord Servetrius' palace, so I went exploring. I looked into this room, full of ancient artefacts, and things. Prince Zan followed me in. He told me I was pretty, and how he wanted to give me his Royal Blessing. He was so frightening, I begged him to go away, but he chased me. He eventually had me trapped in a corner. He would have raped me, but my uncle heard my screams, and entered the room. He threw Zan clear across the room, and he ran away."

The tears that ran down Taysha's face were genuine, but both Kandor and Jervad knew the story was untrue. At the time this was happening to the girl, they were attempting to beat each other to a pulp.

"My father demanded that Justice be done, but instead of Prince Zan, it was my father, and my family who were punished. My father had his lands and titles stripped from him, and handed to someone else. He was given a punishment so horrid, that it doesn't bear thinking about. My mother lies locked in a cell, and if my father steps out of line by so much as a millimetre, King Xandor has promised that my mother will suffer a horrible fate. And I have been forced to work on this survey ship, enduring the endless pain of the Star Drive, forced to work harder than the Tanbo-ens, and treated just as badly. But it will end soon. The prophecy is coming, and the end of Zan and his family is foretold. I just hope I live to see it. I hate him, Jervad. I'm sorry, but I hate Prince Zan with a vengeance."

There was an uncomfortable silence. Even Rath, who normally had a retort for every occasion, did not know what to say. This girl firmly believed every word she had just spoken; yet it was all based on a lie. Jervad was stunned, Zan was absolutely crushed. Never had he conceived the notion that anyone hated him.

"I'm sorry, Taysha." he said sympathetically. "I would like to right this wrong. I would like to make everything right for you."

"Make everything right?" she laughed, the tears brimming in her eyes. "As if you could. The only thing that would make this right, is the death of Prince Zan, and his loyal lackey, Lord Rath."

"Taysha, please." Jervad hissed, "Please keep your voice down, If the wrong people heard you say that, even I couldn't help you."

"I'm sorry," she said, suddenly realising in how much danger she had put herself and these two young men.

Even though one was Perdreian, she felt she could trust them.

"You won't report me, will you?" she asked, suddenly craving confirmation of her trust.

Both Zan and Rath shook their heads, but they both silently resolved to get to the truth of this matter.

"Taysha, where is your father now? What is this horrible punishment he serves?" Jervad asked.

Taysha lifted her head, huge tears welling up and stinging her lovely brown eyes, reddening them.

"My father was a great man, and a renowned scholar. He never stopped studying." A smile played across her lips. "That's where I get it from. My scholarly nature, I mean. Anyway, I don't know if you are aware, but Prince Zan has no intelligence at all. He never bothers to study or anything. His tutors end up quitting because he won't listen to them. No one wants to tutor him, so they draw lots. Loser gets the dubious honour."

Rath started to laugh, getting filthy looks from the other two as a reward.

"Sorry." he mumbled.

"Every day, my father has to look upon that monster. He has to bow and scrape, and pretends to respect the man who attacked his only daughter. He can't quit, and he can't show any disrespect in case they hurt my mother. They made my father Prince Zan's tutor."

Last edited by WR on Sat Oct 18, 2008 5:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
WR
Addicted Roswellian

Post by WR »

Part 5

"Come on Rath!" Zan snapped. "How can you even think I would do such a thing?"

They... well, Jervad mainly, had managed to quiet down the distraught Taysha, and helped her recover from her outburst of tears. She returned to her console late, but Jervad had promised that her supervisors would not do anything. Zan was quite relieved when she did not question how he would achieve this. Afterwards, he and Rath had returned to his chambers to discuss the situation privately, and Zan was outraged when Rath asked outright if he had, in fact attacked her.

"Ten minutes after I arrived at your palace," he continued, "we were out back fighting. When would I have had the time?"

"I don't know, but she was pretty sure of herself." Rath snapped back. "And I for one believe her!"

"Are you suggesting that I am calling her a liar?"

"I don't know. Are you?"

"Look, she said Zan attacked her, right? Yet she doesn't recognise me as Zan!" he growled. "Don't you think that if it had have been me that... that... she would have recognised... me?"

Rath contemplated this.

"Yeah. I guess you're right," he agreed.

"Thanks." Zan murmured dryly, glaring at his friend.

There was a part of Zan that was furious with Rath for even considering such an idea, but there was another part that was jealous. Obviously, Rath too had feelings for Taysha. While he himself had been betrothed, albeit reluctantly, to another, Rath was not as yet betrothed to anyone, and was free to build a relationship.

"So someone impersonated you then." Rath said thoughtfully. "Someone pretended to be you, and attacked Taysha at my father's function. Why? What could this person hope to gain from that?"

"It sounds like it was just some young noble hoping for some action. She is very attractive." Zan commented, his eyes glazing momentarily as his thoughts returned to Taysha's beauty. "But it would be a very foolish person to impersonate me at such a prestigious occasion. I am fairly well known around court, I think, and anyone might have seen him. It was a rather risky course to take, just for some fun."

"Don't rule out a plot of some kind, Zan." Rath offered suspiciously. "There are people out there who would like to see your demise."

"Like Taysha, and her father?"

"Exactly! But they had nothing against you until after the... alleged... attack."

"But think about this. Suppose the attempt had succeeded, and Taysha was... uh... she was," Zan could not bring himself to say it.

He could not imagine forcing himself on someone like that. It was understandable why Taysha did not like Zan. But she likes Me, he thought. I can tell.

"I know, Zan." Rath helped him out.

Zan cast him a look of thanks.

"Anyway, afterwards, when she would have seen... ME... at the trial, she would have seen that I wasn't the person she thought ra... attacked her. The whole thing would have collapsed. What would have been gained?"

"Well, there would be elements of Kalithen society that would believe it to be a cover up."

"They would doubt the word of Lady Taysha herself?" Zan was surprised. "If she admitted that her attacker was someone else?"

Rath though about this.

"Yeah, maybe you're right. Maybe it was just some horn dog after all."

"What? What's a horn dog?"

"Just a phrase I heard."

Both young men fell silent, each lost in their own thoughts. Suspicions began to grow at the back of their minds. They each decided that they would be extra vigilant. If there was someone prepared to do this sort of thing, to ruin Zan's reputation, an assassination attempt would be a very real possibility.

"So," Rath looked up. "What plans do you have now?"

"I have another lecture with Tentious." Zan groaned.

"Taysha's father, Lord Talbuth?"

"Oh no." Zan replied. "It's no wonder that I sense all that animosity from him. He thinks I attacked his daughter. He hates me. Not to mention the worry he must have, that I might meet his daughter on the ship, and attack her again."

"Tell him."

"What?"

"Tell him. Tell him the truth. I'll come with you." Rath urged. "What if he is involved in some plot against you now? Do you realise how vulnerable you are, being alone with him like that?"

"No, we can't tell him." Zan was feeling very bad. "If I do that, he won't believe us. Would you, in his place? Besides, he might grow angry with Taysha. I don't want to cause her any more pain. I've caused enough of that for her. Well, she thinks I have, anyway."

Zan sat down, and held his head in his hands. He knew that his excuses sounded a little... lame, but he did not want to tell Rath that the voice in his head was telling him not to let Tentious, or Taysha know the truth. Not yet.

"And I don't think we need fear his involvement in any kind of plot against me." he added "You heard what Taysha said. If my Father holds her mother captive, I have no doubt he will make good his threat."

"OK." Rath sighed. He wanted Zan to tell Talbuth the truth, but knew that once Zan had made up his mind, there was no changing it. It many ways, he was so much like his father, yet so different. "When we get home, Zan, we'll see about fixing this. For now, go to your lessons and don't let Tentious know that anything is different. Don't treat him any differently. But, please Zan. Take extra care from now on. No sneaking off alone. Take a guard with you at all times."

Zan gasped in horror. Take a guard around with him, announcing to one and all that he was Prince Zan? No. What if Taysha should see?

"No, Rath," he sighed. "Not until we have something concrete. I don't want to make my life even more miserable. Besides, we're probably worried about nothing. And what about Talbuth? If he suddenly sees me with a guard, might he not believe his wife to be in danger? No, let's save him that worry."

Rath rose, and looked down at his friend, sitting quietly in the corner. For the first time ever, Rath bowed before him.

"I think you will make a good King, Zan. You care."

Zan looked up at him, a slight smile on his sad face.

"Is what she said true, Rath? Do you suffer pain when we use the Star Drive?"

Rath was going to throw a flippant answer, but saw the sincere look on Zan's face.

"Yeah." he sighed. "See, we're not like you. We can't change our shape, so that we can block out the more drastic side effects of the Drive, you know, the increase in pressure. Add that to the fact that I hear the high pitched whistling at least four times."

"I'm sorry Rath, but what does that mean? You hear it four times?"

"You don't really know that much about us, do you?"

"No. I've kind of concentrated my studies on this planet, and how to become a good king. I fear I have neglected to learn about my own planet, and my own people."

"Okay, I'll try and explain. See, we exist in multiple times. Simultaneously."

"You've lost me already, Rath." Zan chuckled. "Not a difficult task, right?"

"Uh, I know. Think of it this way. I am living, right now, right here. Okay?" Seeing Zan nod, he continued. "I also exist an hour from now. Like there is two of me."

"So this second you. You know what is going to happen, right? Like foresight?"

"Sort of. Hang on a minute, let me continue. I also live one hour ago, and an hour before that."

"All at the same time?"

"Right. And I can choose which one I want to place my consciousness in. Right now, I happen to choose this one. A few hours ago, I was living the first one. Now as to 'seeing' the future, no, it doesn't work that way, not always, anyway. I am aware of what is happening, but when it happens, I have already seen it. When I live the first time zone, everything is new, a surprise. But if I choose to live in the last one, although I am aware of everything having happened, it's only when it does that I see it."

"Lost me." Zan laughed.

"It's like looking at four pictures, all the same. You see the first picture, and you say 'Wow'. But you don't know what the second picture is. When you see the second one, you instantly recognise it, so you don't say 'Wow'. It hasn't surprised you. And you didn't know it was coming. By the time you get to the last, you suspect it's going to be the same, but you don't know for sure."

"OK, I think I have it."

"So imagine the worst possible noise, one that hurts when you hear it. Now make it happen four times."

"Ouch."

"You got that right."

"I'm sorry, Rath. That it hurts you."

"Hey, it's not your fault."

It was small wonder that many Kalithens objected to the Perdreian rule, surmised Zan, who lay on his bed staring at the ceiling of his chamber. Here he was, Crown Prince of Antar and the Five Planets and in his own arrogance, he knew very little about the people he would one day rule over. Was it arrogance, or just laziness on his part? It amounted to the same thing, Zan did not believe he was worthy of ruling these people. He would make it his business to find out more about them, and help to ease the divisions between the three peoples of Antar. He remembered the segregation in the refectory, and the strange looks the three of them, he, Rath and Taysha received when they sat together. Was that not proof these divisions could be overcome? He and Rath had been friends, real friends, for eight years now. His sister Vilondra and Ava were also included among that group. And now Taysha, who had every reason to hate Perdreians, was now on friendly terms with one.

Friendly terms. Was it more than that? Why did he feel so... complete around her? It was almost as if... as if... no! That was fanciful thinking. There would be no way the two of them could ever be together, even if it felt like they belonged. His father would never allow him the luxury of choosing his own bride. Not after he had been betrothed to the daughter of his father's best friend. Yet when she was near, he did feel different. He felt things for Taysha that he never felt for Ava. His heart never pounded when Ava came near. When he looked into Ava's eyes, he did not feel any form of energy surging through his veins. When he looked into Taysha's eyes, her lovely deep brown eyes, eyes that he was afraid of falling into, for the fear that he would never escape them, he felt so... alive! Why then, did he feel this way around her? And why did the voice tell him to pretend to be someone else? Why would it not let him tell her the truth? He felt so bad about that. He did not like this lie he had built up around her. Soon, he promised himself, he would resolve this situation, and return Lady Taysha to the high station she deserved. He felt good at that thought. She would be able to hold her head high in public, and everyone would see her for the beauty she was. Then she would attract some Kalithen Nobleman, and marry. Rath, perhaps? Zan's spirits plummeted. To do the right thing would result in his losing Taysha.

WR
Addicted Roswellian

Post by WR »

Part 6

It was so hard for Zan to behave in his usual manner. He wanted to actually listen to Tentious' lecture, to show him he was a worthy student after all. Zan had realised that his lectures were boring not because the tutor was a boring person, but because he had no real desire to teach the student he despised so much. So Zan listened to the first five minutes of the lecture and as usual, allowed his mind to drift. At first, he considered the heartbreaking tale that Taysha had told them earlier, and what he could do to rectify the injustice inflicted upon her family. He knew his father, however, and knew that King Xandor would never allow a decision, or ruling of his to be overturned. Even if the truth were to be uncovered, and the guilty culprit found, his father would not back down. It would be interpreted as a sign of weakness, and good leaders, he had told Zan often enough, showed no weakness. Soon, however, his mind agian turned to the lovely Taysha herself.

Why did she seem so familiar to him? Why had she been in his dreams, before he had even met her? In all his young life, he had never truly met a woman he desired. For public consumption, his mother had woven a fantastic myth of Zan and Ava's love for each other, one that Ava had believed completely. The truth was that Zan saw Ava more as a sister, although not as well loved as his Vilondra. Then there were the sparks he felt run through his body every time Taysha looked into his eyes. Did she feel this too? She certainly held his gaze. Most peculiar of all, though, was the strange vision he had when they had first touched. He saw a beautiful slim girl, an Earthling, he guessed, with long dark hair and beautiful dark brown eyes. She was lying on the floor, blood spreading across her smooth white stomach. Her eyes showed her fear, her pain, and most surprisingly, her trust in him, a man she hardly knew. He felt his own pain and his own fear that he would lose this enchanting young girl. He knew that he was in love her, and that she was dying, if she was not already dead. He was somehow trying to save her.

What did this mean? She had reacted strangely to that touch, as well. Had she too seen a vision? Was it the same as he had seen? He knew this had some hidden meaning, one that he was not in a position to discover as yet. But he would turn his mind to deciphering it's meaning, along with all the other things. And then there was her problem with Prince Zan. As much as he wanted to spend time with her, and he really wanted to spend time with her, he was afraid that someone might reveal his identity. He could not be sure that in the panic such a discovery would surely cause her, she might not realise that the man before her was not the man that had in fact attacked her. So he stayed away from her, and made sure that any time he was in the Observation Chamber with Tentious, his visor hid his face. This did not stop him from gazing at her, though. He was missing her.

To make matters worse, the calls he heard to visit the planet's surface were even stronger now. They were almost undeniable. He knew that Rath would always object to his going and find any way he could to stop him, so Zan turned his mind to find a way to go without Rath's knowledge.

"So when a suitable subject is located, the scout ships descend, and obtain a piece of DNA for analysis." Tentious droned in the background. "It is hoped that we can..."

"Wait!" Zan snapped. Tentious had been explaining some of the details of their scientific survey. "You mean we send ships? To the planet's surface?"

"Yes, your highness. How else might we obtain physical data on our subjects?"

Again, there was that sneer. But Zan ignored it. He tuned his tutor out again, the beginnings of a plan started to take shape in his mind.

Back in his room, thinking of all the events that had taken place, Zan felt troubled. He felt that something ominous was about to happen. There was something odd about this whole situation, and the problem about Taysha especially bothered him. Not least the 'Why?' of it.

"Databanks, open," he commanded, looking upwards.

"Databanks open, Prince Zan."

"Do we hold records of the Trial of Lord Talbuth?"

"Confirmed, Prince Zan."

"Image of Lord Talbuth's trial. Display."

"Denied, Prince Zan. Image record locked at your Father's command."

"Transcript of Lord Talbuth's trial. Read."

"Denied, Prince Zan. Transcript record locked at your Father's command."

This was most odd. Why would his father lock the records of a trial for Treason? This was the sort of thing King Xandor liked to be made public. It helped keep the others in line.

"Do we hold any data on the trial that is not locked by my father?"

"Confirmed, Prince Zan. Eyewitness account of Baron Shastiv."

It was a sad sign that his father did not posses a mind capable of considering the small things. He would never have considered that someone might file an independent report of that night eight years ago. At this moment, Zan was glad of this particular shortcoming of his father's.

"Eyewitness account. Read"

"Reading. King Xandor and Lord Servetrius were standing on the dais, watching the dancing. Prince Zan and Lord Rath had disappeared together over an hour earlier, and had not been seen since. Lord Talbuth stormed into the ballroom, looking very angry. Lord Talbuth was carrying his young daughter, the Lady Taysha, who was sobbing in his arms. Lord Talbuth started shouting at the King, accusing his son of attacking his daughter, of attempting to rape her. The whole room gasped in astonishment. The King was outraged, furious that Lord Talbuth would make such an unfounded accusation. The whole room was shocked when Lord Talbuth demanded justice, and called Prince Zan a most ingratiouse name. At Lord Servetrius' suggestion, his Seer was summoned. Blessed with the ability to read peoples memories, the Seer quickly determined that both Lord Talbuth and Lady Taysha were lying. King Xandor decreed that..."

"End!" Zan commanded.

He could not listen to any more. He refused to accept that Taysha had been lying, either now, or then. In the back of his mind, something screamed at him. Something was not right, but he could not put his finger on it. He spent the next hour searching for any more data that might assist him, but none was forthcoming. The call to visit the Planet was even louder now; it was more like a demand. He had to go, and soon.

Taysha sat at her console, manipulating the data as it sped through her holo image of the section she had been assigned. It had been two weeks since she had told Jervad the story of her ordeal at Prince Zan's hands, and she had not seen him since. She hoped that she had not scared him off, that he did not want to be seen with her. She missed his company. She had visited the refectory at every opportunity, hoping to find him there, but she had no luck. When she asked some Perdreians if they had seen him, they had claimed to not know him. She often saw Kandor, though always in the distance, and she thought she saw someone salute him once. She was sure that was mistaken. The sadness that Jervad's absence brought surprised her. She was not used to having these feelings for any man, much less a Perdreian. There were many of her people that would consider such feelings to be disgusting. In some sections of Kalithen society, Lord Servetrius was a traitor of the worst kind, but the names they used for Lady Ava were scandalous. She suppressed the shudder when she considered what her father's reaction to her friendship with Jervad might be, should he ever find out.

Her supervisors, who had always treated her with such contempt, were now treating her with tolerance, and no longer seemed to await her every mistake. Indeed, when she did make a mistake, they gave her more leeway than they gave the others. She returned to her quarters one evening to discover that she had been upgraded to the standard quarters that her rank of Science Technician deserved, larger, more comfortable. She did not know how he had managed it, but she knew that Jervad had been responsible. He was more of a prince than Prince Zan would ever be. This pleased her, for it offered evidence that while he was not with her, he was at least thinking of her. And all the while, the image she saw when Jervad had touched her played over and over in her mind. Now she was having dreams about him. They stood together on a mountain, clad in robes of gold. She sensed the love they shared, but also knew that the armies they faced were not there to pay homage to them. Strangest of all was that her father was there. He was not Lord Talbuth, but someone else. She sighed. If only things would improve for her father. She wondered if he might like Jervad, if they ever met.

She was standing in line for her food, when a simple greeting made her heart leap.

"Hello, Taysha." A warm, friendly voice announced from behind her.

She spun around to the familiar voice, but was a little saddened to see only Kandor standing there. She looked around him, hoping to see Jervad, perhaps behind him, or still coming into the refectory. Momentarily looking at his feet, Kandor missed her searching glance.

"Hi, Kandor." she smiled, but her eyes did not reflect that smile. Even if it was only the Kalithen, it was nice to see a friendly face. No one else ever spoke to her. "Is Jervad with you?" she asked, hoping he might still turn up.

"Uh, No, um, Jervad, he's a bit..." Kandor waved his hand, "...busy. Yeah, he's busy at the moment."

"Oh." she said, her heart falling lower. "Are you eating, or just passing through?"

"Oh, I'm eating." Kandor picked up a tray.

They stood in silence while they patiently waited for their turn. Taysha sensed Kandor's nervousness, and wondered if he was hiding something, something about Jervad. Was he is some kind of trouble? Was he hurt, or something? After being served, Kandor steered Taysha to the table at the back of the room again.

"Shouldn't we sit over there?" she asked, pointing to the Kalithen section. "Jervad is not with us, the others might not like it."

She noticed the peculiar looks they were getting.

"No, here is fine," he answered, also seeing the strange looks. "Just ignore them. They won't bother us. Trust me."

"I do, Kandor," she stated firmly "I don't know why. The moment I met you, I knew I could trust you. And Jervad."

Kandor laughed. "Taysha, no matter what, and even though he's Perdreian, always remember that you can trust Jervad."

They fell silent, and again Taysha noticed Kandor's nervousness.

"Are you all right?" she asked him finally.

"Are you betrothed, Taysha?" he finally blurted.

Why had he asked that? Had Jervad asked him to find out? A bright smile played across her lips, but then just as rapidly disappeared.

"Uh... no, Kandor." She answered, looking down at the table guiltily. "Why do you ask?"

"I was wondering. You know... do you think... I mean." Kandor was stumbling. "Would you consider a proposal of marriage from me?"

Taysha was shocked. She sat speechless for a while.

"No, Kandor. I'm sorry, I... I... can't." she whispered.

"Oh." he answered simply, his face looking totally devastated.

"You don't understand, Kandor," she whispered, tears again appearing. "I have no say in who I marry. That right belongs to King Xandor."

He looked at her and nodded. In a position such as Taysha's, the rights of her and her family belonged to the King. It would be up to the King to select Taysha's husband, should he ever decide to allow her to marry.

"If you could choose," he asked, brightening momentarily. "If by some reason, the King gave you your rights back, would you accept my offer if you were free to?"

She looked down at the table, and started to nervously twist her fingers together.

"I like you, Kandor, I do, but..."

"But you're in love with Jervad." He stated simply.

She looked up, her brown eyes fiercely blazing, a huge smile on her face.

"Yes." she whispered, looking down again. "Do you find that repugnant?"

"No," he shrugged. "Why should I?"

"Because he's Perdreian, and I'm...." she paused, unable to continue.

"He's my best friend, Taysha. Sometimes, you know, Za... um, Jervad forgets we're different."

Taysha looked at him intensely, while Rath hoped she had not spotted his near slip of the tongue.

"Please, Kandor, don't tell him about that, about, you know... love."

"Why not?"

"If my father, or my uncle found out," she said looking scared. "My father is still influential, and my uncle is powerful. I'm afraid if they find out, they might somehow... harm Jervad."

Kandor looked at the girl, feeling hopeless that he finally found someone he might love, only to find she loved someone else. Rath would never admit to anyone his envy of Zan.

"You might be surprised just how hard it would be for them to hurt Jervad." he answered, taking her hand in his. Taysha noticed immediately that there were no sparks, no surges of energy and no flashing images

WR
Addicted Roswellian

Post by WR »

Part 7

Prince Zan nervously approached the private quarters of the Science Technicians. As a Royal Prince, he had every right to be here, no one would question his presence. But he was not there as a Royal Prince, he was there as Jervad. Data Technicians were not allowed here. Stopping outside one of the rooms, he took a deep breath and pressed the plate that indicated he sought the occupant's attention. The door turned to molten liquid, and parted to reveal a startled Taysha. Her face immediately broke into a huge smile, mirroring Zan's own.

"Jervad!" she exclaimed in surprise, though she was pleased to see him. "What are you doing here? You could get us both into trouble."

She glanced nervously up and down the corridor.

"Don't worry." he smiled. "If anyone sees us, I can smooth things over. I have connections."

"Thank you." She stated simply, still beaming a huge smile that melted his insides.

"What for?" he asked confused, trying to pull his rapidly jumbling thoughts together.

"For all you have done for me. My supervisors, my room, you know. Thank you."

He suddenly looked embarrassed.

"Oh... yeah." He stumbled. "You know, it... it's nothing, really."

"It is to me, Jervad." She smiled brightly, stepping closer to him.

She was leaning towards him now; her face was so close. It would be so easy to close that distance. He would just have to reach over, and kiss her, feel her warm soft lips pressing... Stop it Zan! This is not right. But a voice told him it was.

"Are you busy, Taysha?" He asked in higher pitched voice than was normal. "I need your help."

He was deeply afraid she might refuse him, that she did not see him as any more than an acquaintance. Especially as he had been avoiding her.

"Of course, Jervad." she beamed, stepping into the corridor. "How can I help you?"

He was so relieved at her acceptance that he released a huge smile of pleasure. Was she aware of what her smile did to him? "Will you come with me to the Observation Chamber? I need you to operate the console for me."

"Oh." she smiled, remembering what he was doing at their first, unfortunate meeting. She could not resist teasing him. "So, do you want to plot a course for Antar? Are you feeling homesick again?"

Obviously amused, and not embarrassed by her teasing, Jervad flashed her another deep smile. She caught her breath, and her heart pounded. I could get used to this, she thought. Then something else struck her, a thought that pleased her immensely. Jervad knew how to operate the consoles, she had caught him doing just that the first time they met. There was no real need to ask for her help. He wanted her company as much as she wanted his. Her heart soared.

"Can you show me what's happening? Down on the planet, I mean?"

"Sure." She smiled, unhesitatingly starting down the corridor.

Zan watched her walk away, admiring her fine features. He felt his blood start to boil as his eyes lingering over her legs, and her gently swaying backside. He wondered what it would be like to.. Oh no, groaned Zan, feeling the stirrings he had not felt in a long while now. He was breathing deeply now. Taysha could feel his hot looks upon her; she could sense his rising passion. Blushing furiously, she turned to face him, hoping that he would not sense the same feelings rising in her.

"Are you coming?" she asked, innocently.

Together they headed down the corridors to the Observation Chamber. Jervad tentatively reached out his hand and took Taysha's. His insides turned to jelly when she did not resist, when she firmly took a hold of his. Each wondered which of them it was who felt so hot. They could both feel the electrical current humming through them, through the connection they seemed to share, but neither received a vision of any kind. Neither risked glancing at the other, afraid that if they looked into each other's eyes, the other would see what they were feeling. But they were both smiling broadly, each hoping that no one else would see their open show of affection.

"Have you seen Kandor today?" she asked, risking a quick glance at him, her eyes sparkling.

"Yes." he answered, turning to drink her in with his own eyes. "Why, what's up?"

Zan was not sure that he liked the idea that Taysha had obviously been seeing Rath, while he had been keeping away from her.

"Did he say anything? About today?"

What happened today? No, stop this Zan. She can see whom she wants.

"No. Why? Should he have?" he asked with a puzzled look.

"No. Not really." she laughed mischievously, noting with glee the look of jealousy in his eyes, and the strangled tone in his voice.

Once in the chamber, which was now empty, Taysha started towards the small console she shared with the other Science Technicians. Jervad stopped her, and gently pulled her towards the large administrator's console instead. Taysha glanced over at the dais that her father often shared with Prince Zan, and gave a shudder. Noticing this, Jervad gave her hand a reassuring squeeze before reluctantly releasing her hand.

"Do you know how to operate this one?" he asked, seeing the questioning look on her face. "Of course, but..."

"Excellent. We'll use this one then."

"Okay, if you're sure." she answered with a smile, flickering her fingers to bring the larger console to life. "What is it that you want to see?"

"Okay. Show me what is going on down there."

"Well, the main thing happening... is this."

Images appeared in the centre of the chamber, showing scenes of terrible warfare. Textual data appeared in the air either side of the image, detailing the events that were currently driving the dominant species. On the planet below, the political ambitions of a few nations had brought a war upon almost all the nations of their world, a war that was wasting vast quantities of their natural resources. It amazed Zan that this war even had a number attached to it. They called it World War Two, indicating that they had already had one war like this before. The bloodshed and the slaughter was terrible, but when Jervad saw the scenes from special enclosures where the people being detained were being treated with so much cruelty, tears rolled down his cheeks.

"Are you OK?" Taysha softly asked, gently reaching her hand to Jervad's face, and wiping one of his tears away.

"It is so terrible." he stated, taking her hand and holding it. Was that trembling coming from him, or her? "How can they do this to each other? Such... so.... I am so glad we are not like that."

"Jervad, you are a nice person, but how can you be so blind?" she asked gently.

"Excuse me?" Jervad was startled.

"You may not be as cruel, but there are some Perdreians who treat the Kalithens just as badly as what you see before you. Our King, and the Prince, for instance. Have you not seen the secure compounds where they keep their political prisoners? We were lucky, Jervad. If my father's crime had in some way been seen as an attempt against King Xandor or his rule, neither my father nor I would be here now. We would be in an enclosure no different to that one. Only the technology would be different. And they're not the only ones. In the more remote regions, some Perdreian Barons are down right vicious, treating others as no more than... slaves. And I doubt that we Kalithens are any better."

Jervad stared up at her with fresh tears in his eyes.

"I'm so sorry, Taysha. I should have known about this."

"It's not your fault, Jervad. It's nice that you fix things for me, but you are in no position to influence our leaders. You know, I wish I could have shown this to the Prince. Do you think he would have been as moved as you were?"

"Perhaps." Jervad smiled a sad, enigmatic smile. "Maybe he already knows."

"Do you want to see something else, Jervad?" Taysha asked, eager to remove the horrific images that were clearly causing Jervad such pain.

Jervad took a last look at the sickening images before him, and turned his mind to what drove him to this meeting.

"Will you show me the geography of the planet, please?"

Taysha smiled, and flicked her fingers through the image, which seemed to recede. Soon the figures vanished, leaving the landscape spread before them. As the landscape receded showing the edges of a great ocean, the view turned into a disk. When her fingers stopped flickering, the image stopped. A few more movements and the image changed from a flat disk to a perfect globe, which started to revolve.

"Those two land masses we see, they call them Europe and Africa." Taysha informed him. "The body of water to their left is called The Atlantic Ocean. The one in the centre there, they call the Mediterranean Sea."

There was a pause, as the Atlantic Ocean moved around to replace Europe and Africa.

"The land mass coming up now," she continued, "is called America. North America and South America."

The American continents rolled around, and the beginnings of another body of water started to appear.

"This new body of water coming up, they call..."

"Stop!" Jervad commanded.

"The Pacific Ocean." Taysha continued, while dropping her hands.

The globe remained stationary. She could not help smiling at the authority he had momentarily shown.

Jervad rose and walked to the guard-rail, staring hard at the image of the landmass before him. He held his hand up, projecting a large, red ring onto the image. It centred over the lower left region of the landmass that Taysha had called North America.

"Zoom in on this section please, Taysha."

The image changed from the globe, to a spread of landscape, showing the region he had highlighted. He willed his red ring to contract.

"Now this one." He softly urged.

Again, the image grew closer as Taysha entered the commands into the console by flicking her fingers. He repeated his shrinking ring, and again Taysha zoomed in on the image.

"Do we know anything about this section, Taysha?" he asked, staring intently at the image.

At once data started to appear in front of him.

"They call this place New Mexico, in the nation of the United States of America. They are involved in the war, and because of their wealth, and the fact that their industry is beyond the range of their enemy, they will doubtless be the victors. They are probably the most technologically advanced nation on this planet. We believe it will be these people who will reach into the outer regions of their galaxy first."

Jervad concentrated his ring to a simple dot. It hovered above a point on the image. The voice in his head was no longer just calling. It was yelling at him.

"There! There!"

"What is this place?" he asked.

"It is just a barren, and empty land, Jervad. A desert. There is nothing there."

"Does it have a name though?"

"The local people call it... the Chaco Canyons."

They returned to her quarters, holding hands all the way. They exchanged no words; their burning emotions said all that needed saying. At her doorway, she stopped and turned to him. Her heart was pounding fiercly, she wondered if Jervad could hear it. She felt so... warm, and something else. She felt so very strange.

"Would you like to come in, for a while?" she asked, hesitantly, her face blushing furiously.

"I would like that, Taysha." He smiled, while he too blushed. "But not right now. Things are a little..."

"Hectic?" she offered, sadly.

"Yeah." he laughed. "But it's more than that. Something is going on, something is not right."

He let out a deep sigh. Was that regret? "I thought you seemed... upset." she commented.

"Taysha, if I asked for your word on something, would you give it?" he asked, urgently holding her arms, and looking deeply into her eyes.

Her knees went weak, only his hold on her stopped her from falling. As long as he held her, she would promise him anything, her virtue even. No, stop it!

"Yes Jervad." She breathed. "Of course."

"Promise me that you will not get involved! If anything happens. On the ship, I mean. Something against Prince Zan."

"Well, I..."

"Please Taysha!" He urged, there were tears in his eyes.

"Okay." she agreed after hesitating.

"If anything happens, find Ra... Kandor. Trust him, Taysha. No matter what you see. Find him, and tell him I told you to find him. He'll make sure you are safe."

"Yes, Jervad, Of course." she looked confused now. "But where will you be?"

"I have to do something. Something important."

"Jervad? What's going on?" she asked, worry starting to gnaw at her.

Reluctantly, it seemed, he released her from his grip, and she felt momentarily lost. As he turned away, she called to him.

"Would you like to kiss me, Jervad?" she asked hopefully, her voice deep and husky.

She had the strangest feeling that if he did not kiss her now, she would never be kissed by Jervad. He looked at her, his face filled with indescribable longing.

"I want to, Taysha." He sighed. "But this can never become... anything. You and me. I'm not... we're not... it's not safe. We're just... "

"Different."

"Yeah." he sighed.

"I don't care."

Jervad smiled, and glanced awkwardly at his feet.

"Good night Lady Taysha. Stay well." He said softly, reaching out and very gently, stroking her cheek.

He then turned away, and left, leaving her at her door.

"Good night Jervad." She whispered as he disappeared around the corner.

Tears rolled down her cheeks. She just knew in her heart that she would never see Jervad again.