If only in your dreams. CC. YTEEN/TEEN. Complete 12/23

Finished Canon/Conventional Couple Fics. These stories pick up from events in the show. All complete stories from the main Canon/CC board will eventually be moved here.

Moderators: Anniepoo98, Rowedog, ISLANDGIRL5, Itzstacie, truelovepooh, FSU/MSW-94, Forum Moderators

Ti88
Enthusiastic Roswellian

If only in your dreams. CC. YTEEN/TEEN. Complete 12/23

Post by Ti88 »

Title: “…If only in your dreams.”

Author: Roselle

Email: roswellgoddess2001@yahoo.com

Disclaimer: Roswell, it's books, character's, the show are total property of the show's producers', writers', authors' and anyone else involed in the actual prodution of it. NO infringement is intended. All I get from this is a warm fuzzy feeling.

Rating: YTEEN/TEEN (Watch the show you can read this)

Category: CC with a surprise.

Spoilers: The show *gasp*cough* happened.

Summary: This is the 1st Christmas after they fled Roswell.

Songs are ‘I’ll be home for Christmas’ lyrics by Lonestar curtsey of elyrics.net

Part 1: Dec 24, 2001 – Random Highway in the US. You can’t be too careful these days...you never know who might be reading this.

“We have to find somewhere to stop. We spent Memorial Day, Father’s Day, July 4th, Labor Day, Columbus Day, Veterans Day, Election Day, Halloween, and Thanksgiving Day on the ROAD”

“And your point?”

Isabelle looked at Michael and could not understand how he could be so dense. Poor Maria. “My point Michael, is that I refuse, absolutely REFUSE to spend another holiday on the road only stopping to eat.”

Michael rolled his eyes. He met Max’s and Kyle’s in the rearview mirror. They were wandering when it was going to happen. This was Christmas Eve and the XMAS Nazi had not appeared. They thought she wasn’t going to change this year. But Christmas Eve, the day before the Big Event, it looked like she was here. As Michael was driving he decided not to say a thing. And if Max and Kyle were smart they wouldn’t either until the girls woke up or better yet they stopped for dinner

Max tried to defuse the situation. “Um Isabel we will definitely be discussing what to do. It’s getting cold.” He stopped giving her a chance to realize he was on her side. “But it might be better to wait for Liz and Maria to wake up and we stop to eat.” Max waited. There were few things scarier than Isabel Evans.

Part 2: Dec 24, 2001 Roswell, New Mexico...Crashdown to be exact.

“Nancy. I can’t believe it. We haven’t spent Christmas apart in I don’t think ever.” Jeff looked at his wife and the other parents. Every holiday they all spent it together. This year was the first holidays without the kids. And this year they were the first holidays where they didn’t know where the kids were.

Amy looked at her friends. “At least you guys can say you were here for them. I think about how I disappeared. Always thinking there would be more time to spend. And there isn’t.”

Jim took Amy’s hand. “I know what you mean. I was so busy trying to prove something. That I missed out on a lot of my son’s life.” They had been spending more time together since the kids had left and Liz’s diary had shown up.

Charles and Sarah Whitman didn’t really know what they were doing here. This was the second year without Alex. They hadn’t bothered to come to other holiday invites. But when they received the invitation in the mail to this one, they couldn’t resist. They were still a lot of unanswered questions. Questions only the people in this room could answer. And questions only six people who knows where could answer. And yet they would always be questions that only two people could answer. So the Whitman’s sat amongst friends and somehow they felt closer to Alex than they had felt in a long time.

Part 3: Dec 24, 2001 On the Road. Trying to find my way on the road.

They had driven through a takeout place (you thought i would give the name...its a known fact some establishments aren’t found in certain regions...i took enough of risk just telling you it was drive though) The six of them had used their powers to modify the inside of the van to resemble a table. Having Max as your doctor for everything from bunions to cramps to broken bones on a consistent basis had speed up the display of power among those he healed.

Isabel found a radio station playing Christmas songs. She perked up and turned around as one of her favorite songs came on.

I'm dreamin' tonight of a place I love
Even more then I usually do
And although I know it's a long road back
I promise you

I'll be home for Christmas
You can count on me
Please have snow and mistletoe
And presents under the tree
Christmas Eve will find me
Where the love light beams
If only in my dreams

Christmas Eve will find me
Where the love light beams
If only in my dreams
If only in my dreams

“Well Isabel what did you have in mind?” The guys looked at Kyle like he was crazy. He just shrugged. “Sometimes the easiest path is the straightforward one...dangerous though it may be.” Max and Michael rolled their eyes. Dangerous was right concerning the Christmas Nazi.

Isabel waited until she had their attention. “We are going home for Christmas.” A stunned silence filled the van.

Maria was the first to recover. “Um Isabel, babe. In case you’ve forgotten we are wanted people. Even with our disguises they would know it was us a mile away.”

Isabel looked at Maria and everyone else and started laughing. They actually thought... Oh this was too funny.

“See I told you we shouldn’t have left her alone to deal with everything.” Kyle’s voice was stern in the van to everyone else. “Now look at her. She has flipped.”

Isabel pulled herself together long enough to reassure Kyle. “No. I’m not crazy. I never said we were physically going home for Christmas. I just said we were going. Max and I did it last year for the little boy and his parents. This year we do for our families. I’ll connect us all in the dream plane.”

Maria and Liz started to scream and cry at the same time. Kyle just wiped at a tear. Max looked at everyone and then at Michael. “What’s wrong man?”

Michael looked up at Max. “Its just that, seeing how much this means to Maria it makes me wander if it was the right thing to do to bring her along.” Maria hearing that used her powers to hit Michael in the head with a pillow. “Ow! What was...” Upon seeing her face he stopped. “I’m sorry Maria. Right or not I don’t think I would trade it in.” She smiled. Her Spaceboy could be taught.

“So we are agreed. Midnight I’ll take us in. Kyle will guide me. I’ll pull us in last. Max and Michael find somewhere safe us to spend the night.”

Part 4: Dec 24, 2001 The Evans Home

As was tradition, after spending the eve of the holiday at the Crashdown, everyone would come back the Evan’s home and sleep on the floor in a circle. This time they had two new guests.

Everyone was snuggled in. “You know, it feels different this time. And not because the Whitman’s have chosen to join us. Almost magical. Maybe we’ll get a Christmas miracle.” Diane murmured sleepily.

“Maybe.” Was the chorus of replies.

Part 5: Dec 25, 2001 Midnight. Someplace safe.

Only Kyle and Isabel remained awake. He looked down and noticed there was no picture of Jesse. “Iz, where’s Jesse?”

She looked at him. Only he would notice and ask her about it. “Um well, see I realized something between the 4th of July and Labor Day. I was never in love with Jesse. I loved what he represented. I loved the fact he loved me. Or at least the me I should him to love. It was a fairy tale I though I wanted and it wasn’t tell it fell apart I realized I didn’t.” She stopped.

Kyle looked at here thoughtfully. “You really want someone to love you. All of you. Alien and all.”

Isabel smiled at Kyle. He was very insightful. And had helped her through some of the rough points. The times when no one else knew she was dying inside or why she was. “Right again.”

“So does Jesse know about this?” But he felt he already knew the answer to that.

“I visited Jesse around Thanksgiving. He’s moved on. Moved from Roswell. Erased everything about us – me - from his life. It’s like I never existed for him.” She wiped at a stubborn tear and shook her hand at Kyle, when he went to comfort her. “No. I’m fine. That’s when I knew for sure. That was my proof. He never knew I was there.” Isabel put on her sunny bright smile and took Kyle’s hand. “Ready to go home?”

Part 6: Dec 25, 2001 Shortly after midnight. Evans’ home.

Diane looked around her. She looked at Phillip and looked off in to the distance. “Oh MY GOD!!!!!”

Amy swirled her head thinking she was having a flash back to her peace and love days and almost passed out. “MARIA!!!!! MARIA!!!! MICHAEL!!!!!!!” She took off at a dead run behind Diane and Phillip.

Michael tensed next to Maria. He didn’t know what to do with Amy calling his name too. “It’s ok. She doesn’t have a newspaper with her.” Michael chuckled at the attempt at humor.

Pretty soon the adults were all running and hugging and laughing and crying. “Lizzy. Oh Lizzy. Are you ok? Where are you guys? Where are we?” Even if Liz wanted to answer her mom and dad had cut off airflow.

Kyle and Isabelle appeared. They too were engulfed in great hugs. Everyone noticed the Whitman’s at the same time. Liz and Maria charge them. The aliens and Kyle followed at a slower pace.

Sara (Alex’s mom) was the first to recover. “Get over here you guys. I have to hug the best friends and love of my son’s life. Its over. What happened happened. Alex kept a diary too. And in it was his conversation with Kyle in that cave. Alex meant it when he said he wouldn’t trade a minute of it. People search their whole lives and never find a friend like that or friends like you guys. People to call family. Charles and I are honored to finally see you again after knowing the whole story.” By the time she was finished everyone looked like there were going to start crying again.

Before that happened she had one more thing to say. She had noticed the way Kyle had come in with Isabel. It had been on a note from Alex she had found; that she swore wasn’t there after he died. Asking her and his father to watch over Isabel. To make sure she didn’t lose herself and revert. Too consumed with their own grief, they hadn’t been able to do it. Hence Jesse. But now was a second chance.

“And most people go their whole lives without finding someone to totally love them. Unquestionably and loyally. Sometimes even saving them from themselves. You are all so very lucky to have found that. Some of you are doubly lucky to have found it twice. Isabelle, Alex wanted you to be happy. Completely. Happy. You too Kyle. You became his best friend after the cave. He wanted nothing but the best for you. For both of you. He would never hold it against you guys to be happy. Sadden though if you never take the chance. Don’t dishonor his memory by only half living.”

Kyle felt like someone had punched him. No one was supposed to know how he felt. He looked at the Whitmans. “And how do you know?”

Charles answered. “Because seven days ago, we found a note. It simply said ‘Time is short. Time is precious. Once you have the truth. And she realizes the truth. Don’t wait. You still have miles to go before you sleep (Robert Frost line paraphrasing...Don’t sue) Don’t be the lone man on his way to Saint Ives. For I have already drank my whisky and rye. Singing that was the day that I died. I said bye bye my sweet roseanna (actual song) But you can come home tomorrow.” She stopped. Most had looks of sheer confusion on their faces.

“Way to go Alex. Very cool.” Michael was laughing at the note and at the lost look on everyone’s faces.

“You would understand that.” The adults just laughed at Maria’s dig.

Nancy and Jeff came out of the stupor long enough to make some observations. “So this is a dream walk? Very nice Isabel.” The other adults nodded.

“Thank you. We couldn’t be here physically...”

“So like the song you are only in our dreams.” Amy finished for her.

“Exactly. Most of you should already know what happened with Jesse.” There were some nods. “But you guys from the road don’t. We are over. He has erased everything of me out of his life.... And I’m glad. It makes it easier. I never was in love with him. I loved that he provided me with the normal. I could forget I was an alien when I was with him. After I got shot. And he didn’t react the way, well I’m sure you all know the details. I started to realize that truth.” She stopped. They could all begin the New Year afresh in seven days no matter where they all were. “Well the dream plan is endless. Go and have sometime with you families. Talk. Just enjoy being with each other.”

As they all turned to find a little corner. Kyle spoke up. “I was going to do this when I woke up. But I’ve decided right now with all of us here is better.” He turned to Isabel. “I love you. I loved you before you got married. Sometime over that summer, when you helped me. I sometimes wander if I should have said something...but well I’m saying it now.”

Isabel was shocked. She knew what that letter from Alex meant. It meant he knew. She had so much she wanted to say but she instead did the only that was important. She threw her arms around Kyle. “I love you too.” The Whitmans got to them first. They all hugged and cried and laughed.

Jim shouted “Merry Christmas!!!!!!!” And kissed Amy, earning him hoots from the adults and Max and Michael and cringing from Maria and Kyle. They all dispersed for a while spending time apart and together. Basking in the meaning of Christmas and being fortunate to be able to spend it with the ones they loved if only in their dreams. Before the reality of waking up came in and once again separated them.

The End. Did you like my surprise?

To everyone this holiday season Merry Christmas. Blessed New Year. To those who are with their families and to those who aren’t I wish you safety and happiness. To those who this is a first holiday or even the 50th with out someone or even a pet you’ve lost – my prayers are with you. In our dreams we can touch anyone, go anywhere, and be anyone. Cherish the time and the memories. Merry Christmas to all and to all a goodnight.

Roselle
Roselle