When the heck IS Max's birthday anyway? The Roscanon thread

Have a challenge you'd like to see written? Have an idea that just won't get out of your head? Want to talk anything and everything fanfic or writer related? This is the place.

Moderators: ISLANDGIRL5, Forum Moderators

Kath7
Administrator

Post by Kath7 »

Ladeia3 wrote:Does anyone know what nicknames were used on the show? Like did Alex call Liz 'Lizzybug' or Liz call Maria 'Ria' etc? It's been awhile since I read the books so I don't remember if any nicknames were used.
The only nicknames that were ever really used that I can recall:

Liz's dad called her Lizzie. I can't remember anyone else doing so. Her grandma Claudia called her Honeybear.

Michael called Max both Maxwell and Maximillian, although the latter petered out eventually. He actually called him Maxwell almost every time he addressed him in Season 2 &3 if my memory serves me correctly.

Max called Isabel both Izzy and Iz. Michael did a couple of times too. Phillip did too. Maria called her Queen Amidala.

Kyle called Max El Presidente on one humourous occasion. Not to his face though. He mostly called him "Evans" though. Maria called him "girlfriend," as well as "Prince Charming," although never the latter to his face. Michael was dubbed Quasimodo in the same conversation. :D

Maria was never addressed as 'Ria on the show. It is one of my pet peeves in fanfic as a matter of fact, particularly when Michael does it. It was a major leap forward for him when he actually called her by her name for the first time (in SH). Liz always said Maria too, mostly in an exasperated tone.

Courtney called Michael "Mikey G," much to Maria's annoyance. The guys he worked with at Metachem also called him Mikey on occasion.
cardinalgirl
Addicted Roswellian

Post by cardinalgirl »

If we're getting this technical, Maria also referred to Liz and Max as Gidget and Moondoggie on "Crazy." One of my personal favorites. :D
cardinalgirl
Addicted Roswellian

Post by cardinalgirl »

Yeah, Alex called her Parker in "Missing" when he's trying to get answers from Maria
ALEX: Maria De Luca, ladies and gentlemen. Where's Parker?
And also in "We Are Family" when he's showing her his slides.
ALEX: Hey, Parker, let's go.
And yeah, Sean called her Parker all the time...

Gotta love Crashdown.com :D
Kath7
Administrator

Post by Kath7 »

Chrisken wrote:
Jadeling wrote:I'm really sorry for asking a really obscure question, but at anytime in the books or series does it say if Michael has a favorite hockey team? I remember it was mentioned in one of the episodes that he wanted to watch a hockey match and in my fanfiction I would like to either include the name of the teams playing in that match, or if possible his favorite team.

I guess if all else fails I could have him liking the Canucks since Brendan's bio on http://www.crashdown.com states that he likes the Vancover team; not a big surprise since he's from British Columbia.
I can't think of anything in the canon - just wanted to mention that if he wanted to root for a team that was based in the area he'd probably have to pick between the Dallas stars or the Phoenix Coyotes.
Brendan's actually from my hometown of Winnipeg. He was born in Vancouver, but he grew up here. I suppose he's forced to cheer for the Canucks since our team was stolen by Phoenix. :D Anyway, I always make Michael a fan of the Coyotes because, in any true Winnipegger's heart, they will always be the Jets. :D

No, I am not still bitter. :roll:
Chrisken
Obsessed Roswellian

Post by Chrisken »

Caelan wrote:I have sort of a weird question. How many planets are in the whirl wind galaxy or I guess how many representatives were there at the New York Convention?

Thanks
Definitely there were five planets represented at the summit... Antar, for which there was more than one representative... (Nicholas and Max at least... even if you don't count Tess and the dupes coming with Max.)

Then Larek (in Brody's body,) and three others, each of whom were pretty clearly running a planet. It's not especially clear if these are five inhabited planet in the same solar system, or each one orbiting a different star in the same local area, or what.

Even if you accept the notion that Antar is in the whirlpool galaxy, I doubt that these are the only inhabited planet in that whole galaxy... though you never know. :)

Hope this info helps.
Read my other roswell stories!

"A man does not make his destiny: he accepts it or denies it. If the Rowan tree's roots are shallow, it bears no crown." From 'the farthest shore', Ursula LeGuin.

Angel
Administrator

Post by Angel »

Here's the dialog from Max in the City.

LAREK: He sits with us because the emissary certified him. Kathana, Sero, Hanar, and I will represent each of our worlds. Max will speak for his.

NICHOLAS: Actually, Kivar speaks for his world. And I speak for Kivar.

It was never made clear if there were more planets that were inhabited, but there were 5 stars in the V formation...like Crisken said it's hard to tell how many more planets there were in the Whirlwind galaxy besides those 5.
Chrisken
Obsessed Roswellian

Post by Chrisken »

Another snippet of dialog from MITC:

MAX: So this is the royal seal?
RATH: You got it. And these are the 5 worlds of our star system.
MAX: And that one...that's home? Home.
RATH: Bingo. That's how the emissary knew you were the real deal. You got the royal seal stenciled on your brain.
MAX: And these other 4 worlds...they'll all be sending a representative to the summit?

Probably isn't worth putting much stock in Rath's claim that the five worlds are all in the same stellar system. For one thing, the 'V formation' would be pretty much meaningless in that case - planets in a stellar system don't remain in formation, they orbit at (in almost all cases) different rates and thus form shifting patterns. Five stars laid out in a rough V in space makes more sense.

But I wanted to quote that bit for the record. (And to remind everyone that expecting too much scientific accuracy or consistency from the Roswell writers may be asking a bit much. Sigh.)

"A man does not make his destiny: he accepts it or denies it. If the Rowan tree's roots are shallow, it bears no crown." From 'the farthest shore', Ursula LeGuin.

cardinalgirl
Addicted Roswellian

Post by cardinalgirl »

The deal with Langley is that he had to follow any direct order Max made... about Nasedo... well, I dunno, nothing said he did, but off the top of my head at least, I don't remember anything saying he didn't. Hope that helps some.

~Lisa
Chrisken
Obsessed Roswellian

Post by Chrisken »

Jadeling wrote:Hi, yeah, I'm back with a couple more obscure questions, hope you all don't mind.

1) Did Eddie or Riverdog have a last name?

2) Was their any mention of the actual names of the other planets or the actual alliance between the five?

3) Did they ever exactly state what was the relationship between Riverdog and Eddie, ie Eddie is a relative or aprentince/assistant?
~Jadeling
Taking a stab at these off the cuff:

1- "River dog", (it's two words, not one,) is I think supposed to be a full name in the Mesaliko tradition. Eddie might or might not have a last name, but I'm pretty sure it isn't mentioned. ("Frickin' Eddie!!" Sorry, I just had to say that. :D )

2- Planetary names were not mentioned at the summit, or anywhere else for that matter. Alliances between the five were not really mentioned either, though some of the squabbles or skirmishes between them were brought up, as examples of how meaningless the fighting was and the need for peace: Kathana vs Kivar, Kivar vs Sero, Sero vs Hanar -- interestingly, Larek and his planet were not directly implicated in the fighting there!!

3- The relationship between Eddie and 'tha Dog' isn't clear. (When I was first typing up this reply I thought that Eddie was just someone they happened to meet when they got to the reservation, but that was what happened to Michael in 'Balance', long after Eddie had been introduced in 'River dog.')

He first showed up at the crashdown to deliver river dog's message, and he met them both at the reservation. That's about all we really know.

Hope that helps!!

Tasyfa
Addicted Roswellian

Re: When Was LIZ shot???

Post by Tasyfa »

Mt Gazer wrote:I know Larry Trilling mentioned September 17 in the episode The Convention.

But it would be the 18th or 19th if yu went back five days from the dates they give up in the pilot.
Actually, he says September 19th, which is the canon date. :)
hugs, Tas
"Fan fiction is a way of the culture repairing the damage done in a system where contemporary myths are owned by corporations instead of owned by the folk."
~Henry Jenkins