Somewhere, Anywhere (M&M, CC/UC, AU, Adult) COMPLETE, 07/23/17

Fics using the characters from Roswell, but where the plot does not have anything to do with aliens, nor are any of the characters "not of this Earth."

Moderators: Anniepoo98, Rowedog, ISLANDGIRL5, Itzstacie, truelovepooh, FSU/MSW-94, Erina, Hunter, Forum Moderators

April
Roswell Fanatic

Part 34

Post by April »

Well . . . I have no excuse for the delayed update this week. I simply forgot that today was Sunday. I literally thought it was Saturday until about 20 minutes ago. :lol: Pathetic.

Thanks for reading and leaving feedback, Carolyn!

Part 34

“I feel numb,” Alex said, his voice flat, expressionless.

“Oh, god.” Liz sat beside him on the couch, feeling so sorry for him. “I wish there was something more I could do for you.”

“You’re doin’ enough just by lettin’ me stay here tonight.”

“It’s no problem.” She had a spare bedroom in her apartment, and he was welcome to stay as long as he needed to. “I can’t believe it,” she said. “I can’t believe she would cheat on you. And with Sean?” The whole thought of it made her sick.

“Yeah, I always thought he was a decent guy,” Alex said. “Guess not.”

Liz shook her head, pressing her lips tightly together. “I’m so pissed at him,” she ground out, hating that he would stoop so low as to have an affair with a married woman. Seriously?

“Apparently they met in Zumba,” Alex revealed.

“Well, if it’s any consolation, that doesn’t exactly sound like an epic love story.”

He shrugged. “Doesn’t matter. I’m done. I’m not gonna stay with someone who would do that to me.”

“No, you deserve better,” she agreed. The irony of this whole thing was not lost on her. Here she was, sympathizing with Alex about being betrayed by his wife, and she’d once been a knowing culprit in helping Michael betray his girlfriend. She’d matured a lot since then, though, and learned a lot from the experience.

“Leanna thinks she deserves better,” he grumbled bitterly. “That’s what she told me.”

Liz nearly laughed at that. “First off, she doesn’t. Second . . . Sean’s not better. Trust me. He’s just an immature guy with no concept of responsibility.”

“Must be somethin’ about him she likes,” he said sadly. “And something she resents about me.”

“What is there to resent, though? You’re a great guy, Alex.” He was on the fast track to a life of great success. Most guys his age weren’t doing half the things he was doing.

“But I work a lot,” he mumbled, “and go to school. And have ex-girlfriends who make her jealous.”

Liz winced. “I’m sorry.” She’d never meant for her friendship with Alex to be a point of contention in his marriage to Leanna. Though she suspected his former infatuation with Isabel drove Leanna up the wall far more often.

“It’s not your fault,” Alex assured her. “She just never could handle it if she wasn’t my top priority. And maybe that’s my fault. Maybe she always should have been. I don’t know.”

“This is not your fault.” In her opinion, Leanna had always been very needy when it came to attention from her husband, so much so that it was almost childish. “You’ve been a good and patient husband to her. I think it just started to become clear once you guys were married that you had different agendas and . . . trajectories you wanted to follow in life. And she’s just not the person you thought she was.”

“No, she’s not,” he agreed emphatically. “When we were dating, it seemed great, but . . . I don’t know, I guess marriage changes things.”

If that was true, then for once she was happy to still be on the dating scene. “I know it doesn’t seem like it now,” she said, “but this might actually be a good thing. You’re probably better off.” She’d held her tongue about Leanna for a long time now. It felt good to actually voice her opinion.

“I know,” Alex said with a sigh. “It still stings, though.”

Liz nodded, understanding why it would. Sometimes, certain people just worked a number on you, and no matter how hard you tried to shake them . . . it just couldn’t be done.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Slow day, Michael thought as he played Trivia Crack on his phone. He had games going with both Sarah and Monk, and while his and Sarah’s was pretty evenly matched, Monk was unfortunately kicking his ass.

Slow days at the school were probably better than hectic, busy ones, though. Even though it made the time crawl by, it was technically a good thing. It meant that things were going smoothly and they’d been productive enough to allow themselves a little time to relax.

Vanessa never relaxed, though. When there wasn’t work to be done, she found work to do. Or she found work for him to do. And even though she answered a few Trivia Crack questions with him, she soon became bored with it.

“Take a look at this,” she said, handing him a file folder.

He put his phone away and took a look at the name on top of the folder, not recognizing it. Jake Harper. “New student?” he guessed.

Vanessa nodded. “First grader.”

He opened the folder and took a look at the documents inside. Most of it was medical, provided to the school by the kid’s doctors and therapist. “Oh, wow,” he said, reading his diagnosis. “Severe autism?”

“Yep.”

“What does that mean, exactly? It seems like autism looks different in every kid.”

“Well, it’s a spectrum disorder,” she reminded him, “so it does. But this particular boy came to visit yesterday morning. He doesn’t know how to communicate at all, so when he wants something or feels something, he just yells and screams. That’s the only way he knows how to express himself.”

“Did he do that when he was here?”

“Yeah. His parents are gonna move him here after Christmas because his current school can’t seem to handle him. They’re just biding their time there now until they can find a house in Carlsbad.”

“Huh.” As much as he was all about helping kids who needed it, sometimes they just weren’t equipped or prepared to help every single kid. “Isn’t this the kind of kid who should maybe be in the Life Skills program and not the regular classroom?”

“Probably,” Vanessa agreed. “But his parents don’t want that for him. They want him to be normal.”

“He’s not normal, though.”

Vanessa sighed. “They just haven’t accepted that yet. So he’ll be our responsibility soon enough. We’ll have to try to find a way to educate and socialize him.”

Based on what Michael was reading . . . that might prove to be impossible. But with schools having such an ‘inclusion’ mindset these days, they didn’t really have a choice but to try. “Are you gonna try to do a Circle of Friends for him?” he asked. There were two other autistic kids in the school who had something like that.

“Definitely,” Vanessa replied. “But Luke’s already in one. And so are some of those other boys he hangs out with.”

“Dylan would be good,” Michael suggested. He wasn’t already part of a Circle.

“That’s what I was thinking.”

“Yeah, he was a good leader out on the football field.”

Vanessa smiled. “Isn’t that amazing that you start seeing qualities like that even at such a young age?”

“Yeah.” It made him feel proud, knowing that the little boy he’d technically helped raise was turning out so well. “He’s a good kid.”

Vanessa held out her hand, and he closed Jake Harper’s file folder and handed it back to her. “So,” she said, putting it away in her bottom right desk drawer, “how was it being his coach, given your prior relationship with him and his mom?”

Amazing, he wanted to say. Now that football was over, the thing he would miss most about it was seeing Dylan so often. But he downplayed it. “It was fine,” he said nonchalantly. “I got a handle on that now.”

“Good,” Vanessa said. “Because you sure didn’t back when you were pummeling his father’s face.”

“Yeah, I still don’t like him,” he admitted.

“Well, at least you learned to be professional.”

He grinned and joked, “So when my practicum’s over, then I can stop being professional and just kick his ass.” Oh, if only . . .

“Yeah, I’ve been meaning to talk to you about that,” she said.

“What, kicking his ass?”

“No, about your practicum coming to an end,” she clarified. “I know you’re plenty busy, but I just thought I’d mention that we’re in desperate need of some classroom aides to work with some of our kids. And with this new one coming in . . . well, he’ll need a lot of help.”

Holy crap, he thought. Is she offering me a job? Had he really managed to turn her opinion of him around that much?

“There would be some pay,” she said, “but I’m not gonna lie, it’d be minimal.”

“So basically you want me to volunteer to work with a bunch of really challenging kids,” he surmised.

“Basically.”

He thought about it for a moment, then couldn’t help but laugh a little.

“What’s so funny?” she asked.

“It’s just ironic.” He thought back to all those tutoring sessions with Alex, and how challenging those must have been for him. “People used to have to volunteer to help me.”

“That’s why you’re the right person for the job,” she declared.

When she put it like that . . . yeah, it did make sense. He didn’t have the same kind of disorder this Jake kid had, but he’d had his own issues to overcome.

“You don’t have to decide right now,” she told him. “Just think about it.”

He definitely would.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

“So how much does it pay?” Sarah asked as she unloaded the dishwasher that evening.

“It basically doesn’t,” Michael admitted.

“So you’d just be doing it for the experience then.”

“Yeah. I mean, it’d be a good thing to put on a résumé someday.”

“It would,” she agreed, straining as she tried to put a large mixing bowl away in the top cabinet. It was hard for her since she was short, so he took it out of her hands and put it away for her. “Thanks,” she said. “So would you still keep your housing job, though?”

“Yeah, this would pretty much just take the place of my practicum.”

She shut the dishwasher and faced him with both hands on her hips. “So you think you can handle it?”

“Yeah.” He felt confident. “I don’t think I’ll be any busier than I am right now, and I’ve been handlin’ this fine.” His grades were still where he wanted them to be, and his stress level was manageable.

“I think you should do it then,” she said.

“You do?”

“Yeah, it’d be a good experience.”

He was glad she was on board with it, because ever since Vanessa had mentioned it, he’d been pretty sure that it was something he wanted to do. “You know what else would be a good experience?” he said suggestively, pulling her in close to him with a mischievous gleam on his face. He kissed her greedily, starting to feel like they’d done all the talking they needed to tonight. He didn’t have homework, and neither did she, so there were obvious ways to spend the evening.

“You promise me you’ll always have time for this?” she murmured against his lips.

“I’ll always have time,” he promised, lifting her up. She squealed and held onto him, legs around his waist, arms around his shoulders, as he carried her around their dividing wall and into the bedroom.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Maria rubbed Max’s back as his hips rolled against hers. He was in quite a rhythm at this point and was working up a sweat. She lay practically pinned beneath him, her legs open as he moved inside of her. It felt good, but it was obvious that he was closer than she was. So she kind of just started to drift off, turning her head to the side while he buried his face in the side of her neck. His breathing was coming in hot, heavy pants at this point.

His hips stilled when he came, and he groaned. It took him a minute to recover from it, and he stayed on top of her, his body pressing heavily against hers. When he managed to prop himself up on his elbows, she noticed that his hair was damp with sweat and sticking to his forehead.

“Feels good to do that again,” he breathed out.

She smiled a little, brushing his hair out of his eyes. Yeah, it had been a while since they’d had sex. Ever since she’d lied to him about what she was up to on her visit home to Roswell, things had been a little . . . distanced. Tonight, she’d just seen that look in his eyes, the one that made it clear that he was looking to . . . reconnect.

“You okay?” he asked her. “You seem kinda . . .”

“I’m just tired,” she said, rubbing his sides.

He stared down at her for a few seconds, then kissed her deeply. As he was doing that, he slid out of her. He rolled over onto his side, facing away from her, and reached down under the covers to take the condom off and dispose of it. “Goodnight,” he said, peeking at her one more time over his shoulder before he settled in on his side of the bed.

“‘Night,” she echoed, straightening her legs out beneath the covers. She squirmed around a bit, trying to find what felt like a comfortable position to fall asleep in. But she didn’t feel tired. Not really. It was weird, though, because she didn’t exactly feel awake, either. It was like she was just . . . stuck. In between.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Even though her intention hadn’t been to eavesdrop, that was exactly what Isabel found herself doing when she went to Alex’s office on Friday. She stood outside the door, picking up bits and pieces of what he and Liz were saying inside. Something about Alex’s wife cheating on him? It sure as hell had her intrigued.

“Just remember, you’re better off without her,” Liz was saying for about the twenty-thousandth time.

“I know,” Alex said. “Thanks, Liz.”

Oh god, I hope they don’t get together now, Isabel fretted. It wasn’t that she was jealous or anything; Liz and Alex together would have just been too . . . predictable. He deserved to have some spark back in his life after suffering through an abysmal marriage to Leanna as long as he had.

Isabel backed up from the door as Liz came out. Judging by the look on the other girl’s face, she’d caught her by surprise.

“Isabel,” she said. “What’re you doing here?”

What was she doing here? She’d gotten so caught up in listening in that she’d honestly sort of forgotten. “Just came to talk to my professor,” she replied vaguely, brushing past Liz. She slipped inside, shutting the door, but Alex gave her one look and said, “Open that back up.”

She got a little laugh out of that inwardly, just because her old Princeton professor never would have told her to do that. She did as he wished, though, and sat down across his desk. “So how do I look?” she asked him.

He wrinkled his forehead in confusion. “What do you mean?”

“Better than the last time you saw me?” That whole hospital gown, though it had been drafty in some fun places, just wasn’t a flattering ensemble on anyone.

“You look better,” he agreed. “What do you need?”

“What do I need?” she echoed, thinking about what a big question that was. “Lots of things.” The answers would range from more cock to mental therapy, depending on who you asked.

“What do you want?” he rephrased.

She shrugged innocently. “Just thought I’d drop in and wish you a happy Thanksgiving. Got any plans over break?”

Instead of answering the question, he shook his head as if he were annoyed. “Isabel . . . you can’t do this. Students don’t just ‘drop in’ to say happy Thanksgiving.”

“But friends do,” she pointed out.

“We’re not friends.”

She huffed. “You stayed with me at the hospital.”

“Because I was worried. The way any normal human being would be.”

She swallowed hard, gulping down her disappointment. So if any one of his students had staggered into his classroom, doped up on medication, and passed out in his arms, he would have stayed at the hospital with them, too? She wasn’t sure whether she believed that or not, but she was certain she didn’t want to.

“Do you have any advice for things I can do over break to improve my grade?” she asked, changing the subject. “Maybe that’s also part of why I’m here.” It hadn’t been, but . . . oh, well. At least it would keep the conversation going.

“Your creative nonfiction piece needs a lot of revision,” he told her bluntly. “Start there.”

“Okay.” She waited for him to suggest something else, but he didn’t. “That’s it?”

“You could work on your sonnet a little more,” he advised. “Maybe go back and tweak the ending of the story you wrote at the beginning of the year.”

Isabel smirked. Of course, the ending. Alex never liked her endings. “Sounds good,” she said. “Are you gonna have time to relax over break now that . . .” She trailed off, not sure if she should say anything about his current . . . situation. But she was curious. She wanted to know more.

“Now that what?” he prodded.

“Well . . .” She glanced back over her shoulder to make sure no one was waiting out in the hallway, then leaned forward and lowered her voice. “I couldn’t help but overhear that you and your wife might be calling it quits.”

He sighed heavily. “You were listening to me and Liz.”

“She was just here when I showed up. I wasn’t trying to eavesdrop,” she insisted, although somewhere along the way, that was all she’d been trying to do. “So what exactly happened? It sounded like she cheated on you?”

“Isabel . . .” He rolled his chair back from his desk, as if he were trying to put some space in between the two of them. “I can’t have this conversation with you.”

Ignoring him, she said, “I’m sorry. Being cheated on . . . I know how that feels. It sucks.”

“I’ll be fine.”

“I’m sure you will be.” Alex was one of the most level-headed guys she knew. He wouldn’t go on a downward spiral like she had. “Liz is right: You’re better off without her. And you know, if I’m being honest, I never really saw you two as a match. It just didn’t seem like she appreciated you.”

“Yeah, story of my life,” he muttered.

Is he talking about me? she wondered. He acted like it didn’t bother him nowadays, the way she’d once tried to use him to get over Michael . . . but was it too much to hope that maybe it still did?

“Look, Isabel, you have to go,” he told her sternly. “If you were here to discuss class, that’s one thing, but you’re not. You’re here to discuss my personal life, and that’s . . . not okay. I’m your teacher, and you’re my student. There’s a professional boundary I won’t cross.”

She frowned, dissatisfied with the way this had gone. She wasn’t asking him to cross any lines. All she wanted was to talk to him. Was that too much to ask?

Apparently it was, because that stern, decided look on his face wasn’t changing.

“Fine,” she said, pushing the chair back so she could stand up. She couldn’t leave without saying one more thing, though, so she added, “For what it’s worth . . . I think it’s her loss.” And as someone who had blown any shot she might have once had with Alex . . . she knew all about losing out on him.

When she got out to the parking lot and got into her car . . . she didn’t start it right away. Because she knew that if she started driving, she’d just go straight home. And if she went straight home, she wouldn’t do anything all day. She’d lie in her bed, listen to music, and look at magazines. If Jesse was home, they’d probably have sex a few times. He’d take a nap this afternoon. She might, too. And when they woke up from it, they’d probably have sex some more. That was just . . . the routine.

Isabel had barely gotten out of the car when Jesse’s arms were encompassing her. “I missed you, babe,” he said as he hugged her and swung her around in the air.

She stumbled as he set her back down on her own two feet. “I missed you, too,” she said, halfway expecting Eric and Courtney to come out and say hi to her, too.

As if reading her mind, he told her, “Oh, they’re upstairs.”

“Oh.” That was all she needed to hear to know exactly what they were doing. “Well, are you sure they’re gonna be okay with me staying here for a while?” She didn’t want to intrude, but honestly . . . she had nowhere else to go. Her mom had made it very clear that her house was off limits, and she couldn’t stay with Tess now that they were no longer friends.

“Are you kidding? They’re excited about it,” Jesse assured her, rubbing her arms. “In fact, Eric and I were thinking about packing up and moving all of us down to Las Cruces, or maybe Carlsbad. You know, somewhere where you could still be in college if you want to.”

She shuddered just thinking about it. So far, college had not been good to her. “I got kicked out of Princeton. I don’t know if any school’s gonna want me.”

“You’ll find one,” he promised her.

“I don’t know.” He sounded optimistic, but she was finding it hard to be hopeful about anything anymore. “My own mother doesn’t want me. She won’t let me stay with her. She doesn’t even wanna see me now that I’m back. She’s just so ashamed of me.”

He stroked her cheek, kissed her lips gently, and said, “Don’t worry about it.”

How could she not, though? She’d screwed up Princeton.
Princeton. An Ivy League school. How many people were that careless?

“Don’t worry,” he said again, slinking his arms around her waist. “We’re your family now.”

She knew he was just saying that to try to make her feel better, but for some reason . . . it made her stomach twist into knots.

Isabel turned her key in the ignition, starting up the car. She backed out of her parking space slowly, in no real hurry to get home, but resigned to the fact that there was really nowhere else for her to go.

Her “family” would be waiting for her.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Pulling her long-sleeved shirt down over her hands, Maria shivered. It was definitely getting cold outside. Winter was coming, and the year was flying by.

Beside her, Michael sat comfortably in his t-shirt, apparently unaffected by the change in the weather. “You cold?” he asked.

“Yeah.” Wasn’t it obvious? She’d been shaking like a leaf ever since they’d walked out of class. She knew she didn’t have to sit out there on Plaza Verde with him, but . . . why not? She didn’t have much to do this afternoon.

He’d introduced her to one of his other friends today, Monk. She wasn’t sure why his friends all seemed to have such weird names and weird personalities to go along with them, but when he told her that Monk had Asperger’s syndrome, his personality made a lot more sense.

“So what he has is a form of autism, right?” she asked for clarification as Monk and Fly played around with the Frisbee. Michael had opted to sit this one out today.

“Yeah. It looks different in everyone,” he explained to her. “But like with Monk, it doesn’t affect his intelligence or anything. He’s really smart; he just can’t always communicate in the normal way, so it makes him really socially awkward.”

“Huh. He seems nice, though.”

“He is.”

“I think a few of the kids at Dylan’s school have autism, but it seems like it affects more than just their social skills.”

Michael nodded, as if he knew exactly who she was talking about. He’d probably worked with them throughout his time there. “They’re gonna get one more after Christmas, too,” he said. “And apparently with him it’s really bad.”

“Really?”

“Yeah. I’m gonna try to work with him.”

She frowned, trying to piece together how that would be possible. “I thought you said he was coming after Christmas, though.”

“He is.”

She felt like an idiot, but . . . something just wasn’t making sense to her. “Won’t your practicum be over by then?”

“Yeah, but . . .” He cleared his throat and twisted his whole body to the side to stretch out. “I think I’m gonna stay on there, kinda like as a volunteer. Or a minimally-paid volunteer, I guess.”

“Oh.” So that meant Dylan would still see him around then. He would like that. “That sounds like it’ll be a really good experience for you.”

“That’s what I keep saying.”

She wasn’t about to voice it, but she wondered if that would be her only way of seeing him next semester. He wouldn’t be in Music Appreciation with her, and it wasn’t like she was going to enroll in any of his psychology classes. No way was she so desperate to be around him that she’d sign up for a class she wasn’t even required to take.

She’d miss him, though. After all this time apart, she’d actually grown used to having him in her life again. Even in a just-friends capacity.

“So are you looking forward to Thanksgiving break?” she asked, shivering again as the wind whipped past.

“Yeah.” He leaned back, propping himself up on his elbows. “Hopefully I can just relax.”

“Yeah.” She didn’t yet know what her own plans were, but if they involved her mother in any way, it definitely wouldn’t be relaxing. “Do you remember a couple years ago, my first and only Thanksgiving with you guys?” she asked, unable to stop herself from taking a little stroll down memory lane. “Your grandparents came to visit.”

He groaned, tossing his head back. “That was awful.”

“Yeah, it was kinda tense.”

He pressed his mouth together tightly, shaking his head. “You know, I haven’t even seen them or talked to them since my dad’s funeral. Not once, ever.”

“Ever?”

“Nope.”

“What about your mom’s parents?”

He sighed heavily. “They kinda . . . cut ties with her when she got pregnant with me.”

“Oh.” She felt bad for him, because even though he hadn’t always been the ideal grandson growing up, she knew that his grandparents would be proud of him now if they knew what kind of man he was becoming, what kinds of things he was going to do with his life.

“Yeah, my family really sucks,” he openly admitted. “I’m so glad you were there.”

She bristled a bit, not sure what he meant by that. “For what?”

He just smiled at her and said, “All of it.”

She wrapped her arms around herself, trying not to react too much to that. But inside, she was feeling a few butterflies. Because she felt the same way. Despite all the hardships she’d observed and been a part of while living with Michael, she wouldn’t have traded it for anything. It was exactly where she had wanted to be.

“Michael . . .” She wanted to tell him that she was glad—no, not only glad, but thankful—that he’d been there with her, too, because it had meant so much to her; but the words got stuck in her throat.

“Anyway, I gotta go,” he said abruptly, sitting up straight again. “Work.”

“Oh. Right.” They weren’t just going to sit there and talk all day. He had stuff to do, and surely there were other things she could have been doing.

He unzipped his backpack, reached inside, and took out a crimson Aggies sweatshirt, dropping it into her lap. “Have a good Thanksgiving,” he told her, getting to his feet.

She waved goodbye to him, looking away while he walked off with his backpack slung over one shoulder. She held the sweatshirt in her hands, knowing she should give it back the next time she saw him. But right now, it looked so warm, and all she wanted to do was put it on and be warm. She couldn’t help but smile when she looked at the cowboy mascot on the front.

TBC . . .

-April
LOVE IS MICHAEL AND MARIA.
keepsmiling7
Roswell Fanatic

Re: Somewhere, Anywhere (M&M, CC/UC, AU, Adult) Part 34, 08/07/16

Post by keepsmiling7 »

It appears there will soon be lots of changes.
Felt sorry for Alex..........like the girls said, he's better off without her. Most men don't like the "needy" type.
So Max and Maria reconnected........but for how long I wonder? She feels stuck in between. That's not a good sign.
And now Michael is staying on as volunteer..........so he can see Dylan more........that's disaster in the making.
Isabel has overheard about Alex.......but he's not interested in her. Back home to Jess instead.
What I see is a great big mess......that just might explode at any minute.
Thanks,
Carolyn
sarammlover
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Somewhere, Anywhere (M&M, CC/UC, AU, Adult) Part 34, 08/07/16

Post by sarammlover »

You posted this update before I could reply to the last one!! I am glad Leanna cheated on Alex because now he can move ON! She is a complete waste of space and now Alex will have less stress in his life.

I still think these dinners with Maria, Michael, Max and Sarah are awkward. I guess it is a good thing Liz was there. And I am also glad Tess came home. I think its going to take Kyle A LOT of hard work to get back to a good place but maybe this was the kick in the ass he needed.

I am glad Michael is staying on at the school. This seems like a really good place for him. I think he and Maria are walking a fine line here and I hope they both behave themselves. As for Isabel....she needs to listen to her gut about Jesse..time to cut him loose. Get back on track. Get her life back. She has this "family" but seems more lonely than ever.

Great updates April!
April
Roswell Fanatic

Part 35

Post by April »

Carolyn:
What I see is a great big mess......that just might explode at any minute.
:lol: This is pretty much all of my fics in a nutshell!

Sara:
I still think these dinners with Maria, Michael, Max and Sarah are awkward. I guess it is a good thing Liz was there.
Yeah, they are. Especially depending on which of their perspectives you're considering. Probably is the most awkward for Michael and Maria.
I think he and Maria are walking a fine line here and I hope they both behave themselves.
Yeah, they're definitely walking a fine line right now.

Thanks for reading and leaving feedback! Sorry I just forgot to update yesterday again. :roll:

Part 35

Over the course of Thanksgiving break, there was a lot to be thankful for. First and foremost on the list was that Michael had a whole week off . . . to do virtually nothing. No classes, only a few hours here and there at work. Sarah still had to work a bit, too, but when she wasn’t, she was able to just relax and chill out with him. On Monday, she tried to teach him one of her old dance team routines from high school, and for some reason, he went along with it. It was fun. On Tuesday, they rented every Rocky movie and had a marathon, falling asleep on the couch together after the last one. And on Wednesday . . . well, Wednesday, they barely left the bed.

Thursday was busier, of course, though. Every dorm and suite hall effectively shut down for the holiday, and the only students who remained on campus were the international ones. Michael and Sarah left early, making the drive to Roswell. She let him listen to his music the whole drive down there—Metallica, Nirvana, Staind, to name a few—with the promise that she’d get to play a few Arianna Grande songs on the way back.

Michael was completely and utterly grateful that they weren’t actually going to have to spend Thanksgiving in Roswell—the less time he had to spend in that town, the better. But he was a bit aggravated that, when he pulled up in the driveway outside his house, his mom and sister weren’t ready to go.

“Let’s go!” he shouted, honking the horn impatiently. “What’s taking them so long?”

“They’re girls, Michael,” Sarah reminded him. “It takes them longer to get ready.”

Seriously, how long did it take, though? Because his mom had come out fifteen minutes ago and claimed that they were almost ready.

Finally, Tina came bounding out of the house . . . as much as she could bound at nearly five months pregnant. He was glad to see that she was wearing a loose-fitting black t-shirt, so her bump wasn’t quite as noticeable as it would have been if she’d been wearing something more form-fitting.

“Hey, can I ride with you guys?” she asked, bending down to peer in through the open window. “I really don’t wanna go with Mom.”

Michael dismissed that idea right away. “No, I’m not gonna make her drive down by herself.” They had to take two separate cars, because he and Sarah were staying the night at her family’s house while his mom and Tina would obviously be going home later that night.

“I’ll ride with her,” Sarah volunteered, diffusing the situation. “You two ride together.”

“Thanks, Sarah,” Tina chirped as they switched places. Sarah got out and headed to Krista’s vehicle while Tina eagerly plopped down in the passenger’s seat of Michael’s car. “Can I drive?” she asked hopefully.

“No.” He got out of the car when his mom came out onto the porch, motioning him to come talk to her. As he was walking away, though, he heard Tina moving around, probably trying to get into the driver’s seat, so he turned back around and grabbed the keys out of the ignition. She pouted.

Stepping up onto the porch, he asked his mom, “What’s up?”

“Do I look okay?” she asked, smoothing her hands over her hair.

“Yeah, of course.” She’d missed a few greys the last time she’d dyed her hair, but he wasn’t about to tell her that.

“I’m nervous,” she admitted, plucking at the dress she was wearing. It was casual, and she had a sweater on over it, but . . . it was still a dress. Not what she usually wore.

“Why?” he asked. Sarah’s parents were easygoing, easy to get along with.

“Just this spending the holiday with Sarah’s family . . .” She let out a shaky sigh. “I just wanna make a good impression.”

He laughed a bit. “Relax. You’ve met ‘em before.”

“I know, and they seem like good people,” she acknowledged. “But I know they come from a more traditional, conservative lifestyle, and I just . . . I worry.”

He frowned. “About what?”

As if on cue, Tina reached over and honked the horn loudly. “Let’s go!” she shouted, mimicking him.

Of course, Michael thought. She was worried what they would think about Tina.

“Do you think they’ll pass judgment on what kind of mother I am based on your sister’s . . . condition?” she asked fearfully.

“No,” he assured her. “They’re not judgmental.” There were obviously a million things they could have judged him about, preconceived notions they could have had when they met him. But they were pretty open-minded. “And besides, they already know about it. I talked to Sarah’s mom on the phone last night and told her. They’re not gonna make a big deal out of it.”

“That’s good,” she said, her whole body visibly relaxing in relief. “That makes me feel better.”

“And for the record, Tina being pregnant has nothing to do with what kind of mother you are,” he reminded her. “ ‘cause you’re a pretty damn good one. And for that I’m really . . . thankful.” He grinned like a dope.

She laughed lightly, putting her arm around him, rubbing his shoulder blades. “You turned out to be a pretty good kid, you know that?”

He grunted. “Surprisingly.” It had only taken a couple arrests and suspensions and a lot of underage depravity to get to this point.

“Well, I’m pretty thankful for you, too,” she said, standing up on her tiptoes so she could kiss his cheek.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

“So what exactly is the plan?” Maria asked Max. She stood in the bathroom in front of the mirror, straightening her hair, because she’d slept hard, and right now, it looked like she had a mop on her head.

“Dinner at my mom’s,” he said, leaning against the doorframe. “Your mom said she’d be there.”

Oh, joy, she thought sarcastically, biting her tongue. “Do my mom and your mom get along?”

He made a face. “Why wouldn’t they?”

“Well, they both dated the same guy, for starters.”

“Hmm, that sounds familiar.”

She clamped her straightener down on a particularly problematic under-layer of her hair and slid it down slowly. “Meaning?”

“Meaning you and Liz get along fine,” he pointed out. “You and Sarah seem to be getting along fine.”

She rolled her eyes, understanding what he was saying. “Okay, point taken.” Truthfully, she wasn’t as concerned about his mom and her mom getting along so much as she was concerned about her own role today. “But is your mom gonna get along with me?” she wondered aloud. “I mean, I barely even know her.” They’d talked on the phone a few times over the past year, but that was it. Even Max was still, in some ways, getting used to having her in his life, because he hadn’t grown up with her.

“So this is your chance to get to know her,” he said, “and let her get to know you.”

“But what if she doesn’t wanna know me?” she fretted, setting her straightener down on the counter.

He stared at her for a few seconds, then sidled up behind her and put his arms around her waist. “What are you worried about?” he asked.

She settled back into him, putting her hands on top of his, talking to the reflected version of him in the mirror. “I just don’t know if it’ll be possible for her to ever like me. Because of my past. Because of everything that happened between Isabel and Michael and me.” Even though she could never regret having a relationship with Michael, she would probably always regret the way they’d gone about it. “I mean, I’m part of the reason why her daughter’s life is in shambles. A big part.”

He nuzzled her hair, murmuring, “Isabel’s responsible for her own choices. My mom knows that.”

“I hope so,” she said. “Because I don’t want her to look at me and just see, like, the other woman.”

“She won’t,” he reassured her. “Trust me, if she can look past all of my wrongdoings, she can look past yours.” He bent his head, kissing the side of her neck, and said, “Don’t worry. It’s gonna be a good day.”

She managed a small smile, but inside, she was still nervous.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Michael could practically hear his mother’s heart pounding from the second she stepped foot in the Nguyen home. “Oh my,” she gasped, “this is a nice house.”

“Yep,” Michael agreed. The first time he’d been there, he’d been intimidated, too. It was a large two-story with a fancy living room, state of the art kitchen, and separate dining room on the first floor. All the bedrooms were on the second floor, and honestly, the master bedroom and guest bedroom looked like something out of one of those Home and Garden magazines.

There were a few other family members there, most of whom Michael had only met once or twice. He recognized Sarah’s grandmother from her father’s side of the family and recalled that the woman’s English was a little shaky at best. She was old, frail, and in a wheelchair now, but she looked happy to be there. Her aunt and uncle were there, too, and a few cousins. He’d seen pictures of them but couldn’t remember if he’d ever met them in person before or not.

Sarah’s mom gave her a big hug, but Sarah, daddy’s girl that she was, almost immediately became locked in a conversation with her dad. Her mom opened up her arms to Michael and gave him a big hug. “Hi, Michael!” she exclaimed. “How are you?”

“I’m good,” he said. “Thanks for having us, Vivian.”

“Oh, thanks for coming. I know it was a bit of a drive.”

“Not bad.” Las Cruces was only about three hours away from Roswell. It paled in comparison to how far his drive had been from Roswell to Tuscaloosa, back in the day.

“You remember my mom?” he asked, stepping aside to reintroduce them if necessary.

“Of course. Hi, Krista.” Vivian immediately hugged her, too. “Good to see you again.”

“You, too,” his mom returned. “You have a lovely home.”

“Oh, thank you. We had to remodel this whole living room when we first moved in . . .”

Michael tuned out of their conversation and instead turned his attention to Sarah’s little brother when he sauntered up. “Victor. V-Dog,” he said, holding his fist out.

“M-Dog,” Victor returned, fist-bumping him.

“What up, bro?”

Victor shrugged. “Nothin’ much. I got friends now.”

“That’s good. That’s always good, man.” Victor was a nice kid, and according to Sarah, he’d started to find his place in high school now. He deserved that.

“So . . . your sister’s really pregnant?” Victor asked hesitantly.

Michael glanced back over his shoulder at Tina, who had barely come into the house. Her face was buried in her phone, and she was texting. “Unfortunately,” he muttered.

“Wow.” Victor’s eyes grew wide with astonishment. “How did that happen?”

Michael gave the kid a look. Really? Did he really not know how it had happened?

“I’m serious,” Victor said, “I’m really unclear on all the details.”

“You’re in ninth grade.” Didn’t they at least have sex ed or something?

“I know, and I’m still unclear. My parents don’t talk to me about that stuff.”

Well, Michael didn’t exactly want to bear that responsibility, but he also knew that boys Victor’s age had to get some knowledge one way or the other. It wasn’t healthy to repress all those hormones. “Alright, listen, I got a Playboy out in the trunk of my car,” he leaned over and whispered. “You sneak out there and look at it later.”

Playboy?” Victor echoed.

“It’s educational. You’ll like it.” This poor kid was way too sheltered; he had to start . . . figuring out the facts. “Don’t go gettin’ any ideas, though,” he warned, although he was pretty confident that Victor would be the type of kid to feel his urges but never really act on them. “My sister’s in a bad spot.”

“Oh, don’t worry. I’m waiting until I’m married,” Victor proclaimed.

“Really?” Michael almost laughed, because it was just so unrealistic these days. But then again, maybe it wasn’t for Victor. “I mean, yeah. Of course.”

Victor took a deep breath and asked, “How do I look?”

“Uh . . .”

Without even waiting for a response, he slinked past Michael and planted himself in front of Michael’s sister. “Hey, Tina,” he said, sounding all star-struck.

It took her a second to glance up from her phone. “Hey . . .” she said, “what’s your name again?”

Michael smirked. Poor Victor.

Sarah tore herself away from her father when he went to say something to Michael’s mom, and when she looked at Victor and Tina, she must have noticed the same vibe he had. “He has a crush on her,” she said.

“Big time,” Michael agreed, putting his arm around his girlfriend. “I wish she was with a kid like him. He’s a hell of a lot better than Nicholas.”

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Diane Evans was preparing a feast, by the looks of it, something fit for twelve people rather than just five. Her gigantic kitchen smelled amazing. There were so many different delectable aromas wafting in the air, everything from a macaroni and corn casserole to the turkey itself. And she seemed to have it all under control. She literally had a schedule taped up onto the refrigerator for what needed to be cooked when and by what time it needed to be done. And she seemed to be following it down to the second.

Maria mostly tried to stay out of the way.

“Okay, Max, will you help me out with this?” Diane asked her son, opening one of the two ovens she had in use.

“Sure,” he said, putting on an oven mitt and picking up a pot holder.

“I just need you to take that out and give it a good stir,” she told him. “Then put it back in for twenty more minutes, and it should be done.”

“Is there anything we can do, Diane?” Amy asked.

No, don’t volunteer us, Maria thought frantically. If she tried to do anything, she’d probably screw it up.

“Oh, you two are my guests,” Diane said. “Just take Dylan into the living room and relax.”

Relieved, Maria asked, “Are you sure?” just for the sake of being polite.

“Go ahead. Max and I have got it covered, Maria.” She smiled at her . . . politely? Kindly? Maria wasn’t quite sure. Diane had been nothing but welcoming since they’d shown up, but she still couldn’t help but worry that the woman wasn’t particularly thrilled to have her there. She hadn’t done or said anything to indicate that, but still . . .

Maria left the kitchen with her mom and her son, and they settled in the living room. Dylan looked bored, though, because there weren’t many kids’ toys here, and he’d only brought a few cars from home. He sat down on the middle of the floor and started to play with them. As an only child, he was more than accustomed to playing by himself, and he didn’t seem to mind when Maria and Amy sat down on the leather couch instead.

“This is quite the house,” Amy remarked.

“Yeah.” All the houses in Roswell Historic District were nice. Large and fancy. You definitely had to have some kind of money to live here.

“You couldn’t have dressed a little nicer?” her mom bit out suddenly.

Maria looked down at the sweatshirt she had on. Michael’s sweatshirt, technically, but no one needed to know that. “It’s cold outside,” she said. Her plan had been to look casual, because she didn’t want Diane to think she was trying too hard.

“And now you’re inside,” her mom snapped.

Rolling her eyes, Maria pulled her arms out of the sleeves and lifted the sweatshirt over her head. “Better?” she asked, laying it over her lap.

“I suppose.” Her mom reached over and tried to fix her hair.

“Mom . . .” She didn’t think she looked horrible, so she hated the scrutiny. “Please don’t be a bitch to me today. It’s Thanksgiving.”

“I’m not--” Her mom started to argue, but miraculously, she stopped herself, took a breath, and nodded in agreement. “You’re right. We have a lot to be thankful for.”

“Yeah. Starting with the obvious.” Maria looked at Dylan, who was crawling all over the floor now, slinging his cars back and forth on the floor, apparently trying to make them have some sort of race.

“I’m thankful for, uh, someone else this year, too,” Amy announced suddenly.

Not deluded enough to think she was referring to her, Maria fearfully asked, “Who?” sensing that she already knew.

“You’re not gonna like it,” her mom warned.

“Oh, god.” Maria knew instantly when she said that. There wasn’t even a doubt in her mind who her mom was referring to. “I knew this was bound to happen. You’re back together with Kyle’s dad, aren’t you?”

“Jim and I . . . we—we have a connection,” her mother sputtered. “An attraction, one that never really goes away. And he’s been in a rough place ever since his son was injured. He and Diane broke up over a year ago, and he hasn’t really dated anyone since.”

“So now he’s just giving it another shot with you.” It seemed . . . redundant, at this point.

“We can’t ignore what we feel for each other,” her mother went on. “Honestly, I thought I had moved on, and then last month we ran into each other and just started talking again and . . . I don’t know, I guess I didn’t realize just how much I had missed him until he was back in my life again.”

Maria lowered her head, looking down at the sweatshirt in her lap. “It’s a bad idea,” she mumbled.

“Why?” Amy challenged. “I’m not with anyone else; he’s not with anyone else. We’re free to be together if we want.”

Maria felt her stomach tighten.

“And it is what we want. So try to be happy for me, okay?”

Maria couldn’t force a smile, and she couldn’t even really agree to try to be happy. So she just sat there and didn’t say anything at all, because she figured that was the best way to avoid an argument.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

“Good to see you up and around again.”

“Yeah.” Kyle handed his father a beer, keeping one for himself. He sat down on the couch and grabbed the remote, pointing it at the TV as he pushed up on the volume button. Cowboys/Panthers. Great Thanksgiving day matchup.

“So where’s Tess?” his dad asked as he took a swig.

Kyle popped open the tab on his can, not sure how much he wanted to say. “She’s, uh . . . she’s home in Roswell today, with her family.”

“Yeah? Why didn’t you go with her?”

He took a drink, shrugging. “I don’t know.” He did know, though. This morning, he’d offered to go with her, and she’d told him she would rather go alone.

Jim reached over and took the remote off of Kyle’s lap, turning down the volume on the game, something he rarely ever did. “You two havin’ problems?” he asked outright.

Kyle really didn’t want to go too in-depth, but then again, it had to be obvious. “We’re, uh . . . we’re having . . .” He sucked it up and just blurted it out. “. . . a baby.”

His father’s eyes widened. “A . . . a baby?” he echoed in surprise. He looked like he wanted to say more, but no words came out.

“Yeah, I found out last week.”

The only sounds that escaped his father were a few astonished grunts and laughs. And then he said, “Congratulations, son,” and literally shook his hand.

“Yeah.” Kyle shook it back limply. So far, it wasn’t something that had proved to be . . . congratulatory. He and Tess had barely talked since Michael had brought her back to Carlsbad. The only good part about that was that they hadn’t fought, either.

“This is really something,” his father went on. “I’m gonna be a grandfather?”

“Yeah, you are.”

“And you’re gonna be a dad.”

He nodded solemnly, feeling tears sting his eyes. “Probably not a very good one,” he mumbled.

His dad frowned. “What do you mean by that?”

“Look at me, Dad.”

“I am. And you know what I see? A guy who’s improving. A couple months ago, I never saw you walkin’. And now . . .”

“Oh, yeah, I’m haulin’ ass,” Kyle grumbled sarcastically, shaking his head. “I think I really screwed up, Dad.”

“What do you mean?”

He rubbed his forehead, embarrassed to admit the things he’d said to Tess, the things he’d suggested she do. It had just been the heat of the moment, the shock of it all. He hadn’t really meant any of it. “When she told me . . . I reacted pretty badly.”

“Well, that’s natural,” his father assured him, “given your situation. This isn’t how you thought your life would go. But Kyle, that doesn’t mean this isn’t the best thing to ever happen to you.”

He swallowed hard and nodded, hoping it would be. At this point . . . he needed it to be.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Michael had high expectations for Thanksgiving dinner at the Nguyen house. Naturally, if Sarah’s father was the one who was preparing it and he was the one who had taught her everything she knew about cooking, it had to be good. And it was. The turkey was juicy, the casseroles delicious, the stuffing stuffed him up, and even the buttery rolls tasted better than they would at anyone else’s Thanksgiving dinner. The Nguyens knew how to cook.

About halfway through the meal, the conversation had shifted from Victor’s high school classes to the classes his and Sarah’s older cousin was now taking. Bryan Nguyen was a few years older than Sarah, and he was currently in his first year of medical school. Apparently the guy was a genius, or at least he seemed like it, because Michael was blown away when he was talking about the things he was studying. Pathology. Microbiology. Neuroscience. He didn’t seem stuck-up about it, though; he was actually pretty modest.

“Yeah, it’s been exhausting,” he was saying, “but I’m loving it. I’m loving every second of it.”

“That’s great, Bryan,” Vivian said to her nephew. “I always had a feeling you’d end up in the medical field.”

“Asian in the medical field,” he joked. “Imagine that.”

Michael smirked. Good, he hadn’t wanted to be the one to say it.

“I can’t even imagine being in med school,” Sarah piped up as she moved some food around her plate. “Just the thought of pharmacy school freaks me out.”

“You’ll get in,” her cousin assured her.

“I hope so.”

Michael gave her a look.

“What?” she said.

“Really?” She hoped she would get into pharmacy school? Sarah was the smartest girl he knew; there was no way she wouldn’t get in.

“You never know what could happen,” she said.

Michael’s mom cleared his throat and asked, “Where do you think you wanna go, Sarah?”

“I don’t know,” she answered. “I mean, I won’t be able to stay in Carlsbad for that, obviously. And Michael’s gonna need to do grad school, too.”

“What are you studying again, Michael?” Bryan asked him.

“Uh, psychology.” His classes probably paled in comparison to the classes Bryan had taken as an undergrad, and he knew they were easier than Sarah’s.

“I like psychology,” Bryan said. “And you know, it’s very connected with the healthcare realm.”

“Michael wants to be a school counselor,” Sarah said proudly. “He’s really good with kids.”

“Is he now?” Sarah’s aunt shot her a pointed look, one that Michael noticed.

“Well, if that’s what you’re pursuing, your options are wide open,” Bryan said. “You can find a master’s program in psychology almost anywhere.”

“Maybe we’ll end up in Albuquerque,” Sarah speculated.

Bryan did a little fist-pump for his school.

“I mean, we haven’t really talked about it much yet or anything,” Sarah said, “but I know I’ve looked into it a bit, and that might be a good place for me to go to pharmacy school.”

Albuquerque, Michael thought. He’d known for a while now that he’d probably end up there. Away from Kyle and Tess and the godson or goddaughter he’d have. Away from . . . everything.

“It would be a good place,” Bryan confirmed. “Not too far away from home. You’d love it there.”

That’s still a ways off, Michael reminded himself. He was only a junior. One more year of undergrad to get through first.

Just as things got quiet at the table, Michael’s sister shocked the hell out of him when, out of nowhere, she just asked, “When are you guys gonna get married?”

He nearly choked on the piece of turkey he was chewing, and Sarah actually did drop her fork on her plate. Thanks, Tina, he thought sarcastically. Nice of you to put me on the spot in front of my girlfriend’s whole family.

Luckily for him, Sarah wasn’t so rattled that she couldn’t formulate an answer. “Someday,” she replied vaguely, keeping that ever-present, ever-reassuring smile on her face.

“Someday,” Michael agreed, reaching below the table to squeeze her leg. Yeah, that worked for him. They didn’t need to have anything set in stone right now.

After dinner got over, they went into the living room and played charades in teams of three. Sarah’s whole family was really good at it. Tina didn’t want to play, though, so Sarah took her place on the Guerin team. They didn’t end up winning, but they weren’t last, either. After that, it was time for pumpkin pie for dessert, and at that point, it was starting to get dark outside. Michael knew his mom and sister would have to go.

He grabbed Tina as she was getting her shoes on and pulled her outside onto the porch just to have a word with her.

“Does Victor have a crush on me?” she asked right away. “Because Nicholas is way hotter.”

“But Victor’s way smarter. And nicer. And . . . better,” Michael argued.

She rolled her eyes. “Whatever. I wish Nicholas could’ve come today.”

“You wanted your boyfriend to come to my girlfriend’s family’s Thanksgiving?” He made a face. “Never gonna happen.”

She groaned, taking her cell phone out of her coat pocket when it buzzed. He grabbed it from her, not about to let her get lost in another text conversation with Nicholas when he was standing in front of her, trying to have a real one.

“Hey!” she yelped. “Give that back.”

He held it up out of her reach and got right down to it. “Why would you say that today?”

“Say what?” she asked innocently.

Oh, as if she didn’t know. “That whole ‘when-you-gonna-get-married?’ thing. It really kinda put me on the spot.”

She shrugged. “I was just curious. You guys were talking about the future, and . . . I don’t know.”

“It’s just . . . maybe you could’ve not said anything in front of her parents and her grandmother and her whole family.”

“Have you guys talked about it?”

“What? We—we haven’t . . . it’s not . . .” He kept trailing off and starting over, unable to collect his thoughts. “We—we know it’s gonna happen someday; we don’t feel like there’s a certain timeframe to do it.”

“Hmm.” She narrowed her eyes at him suspiciously and asked, “Don’t you think that’s kind of weird?”

“What—what do you mean?” he sputtered.

“Well, you knew Maria for, like, a couple months and you were proposing to her. But you and Sarah have been dating for two years now, and you still haven’t.”

Okay. Now he was starting to get pissed off. What the hell was she insinuating here? “That’s ‘cause I’m smarter and way more mature now,” he said. “I’m not just gonna rush into something just ‘cause it feels like the right thing to do, and for the record, it was, like, eight months before I proposed to Maria.”

“I just don’t see why you’re waiting so long this time.”

“Because sometimes people wait, Tina,” he said, purposefully patronizing her since she insisted on acting like such a child. “They wait to get married and have babies, and it works out better for them in in the long run.”

“Oh, ha, ha,” she droned, “you’re so funny.”

“I’m just saying . . .”

“You know what?” she spat, seizing her phone back from him. “You’re being a major hypocrite, Michael.”

“How?”

“Because, ever since you found out I was pregnant, you’ve been going out of your way to tell me how Nicholas and I aren’t gonna work out, how we’re just doomed, how we’re gonna make each other miserable.”

“Yeah, so?”

“So?” She huffed and glared at him in disbelief. “Don’t you even remember how upset you used to get when Dad and Maria’s mom and all these other people would say that stuff about you and her? Don’t you remember how much that would piss you off?”

Of course he did. But this . . . this was different.

“Yeah, that’s what I thought,” she grumbled.

“Okay, fine, it used to piss me off,” he acknowledged. “But guess what: In the long run, all those people who doubted us were right. Maybe I should’ve listened to ‘em.”

“Oh, please,” she scoffed.

“But I didn’t. And I got my heart broken. So did you ever think that maybe I say all this stuff to you because I love you? Maybe I’m just trying to spare you the heartbreak.”

“Spare me the lecture,” she grumbled, lowering her head, thumbs tapping away at her cell phone screen again.

He shook his head, completely and utterly frustrated with her. He never thought he’d find himself in this fatherly role with her, but . . . dammit, there was no one else around to do the job.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Even though she’d been no help preparing the dinner, Maria knew she could be of help cleaning up after it. While her mother went outside to take a phone call from Jim and Max went upstairs to help Dylan through some post-feast digestive issues, she helped Diane take everything into the kitchen and load it up in the dishwasher. Diane then proceeded to prepare about a dozen bowls of leftovers for them, so many that Maria wouldn’t be able to carry them all out on her own.

“Thanks, Diane,” she said. “Thanks for having us today. I know it must have been a lot of work to cook so much.”

“Oh, I enjoyed it,” Diane assured her. “You know, ever since I separated from my husband, I haven’t had too many of these family dinners. And that was years ago, so . . . this was a nice change of pace.”

Maria nodded, though it was hard not to dwell on the obvious elephant in the room, the fact that one very pertinent part of Diane’s family wasn’t there.

Maybe I shouldn’t say anything, she thought. The whole day had gone so well, so peacefully. Her mom and Max’s mom were really hitting it off, and Dylan hadn’t seemed to have any problem entertaining two grandmas. But the whole time they’d been there, Maria hadn’t been able to shake that feeling of worry, the one that made her think Diane just had to be harboring some type of ill will towards her.

“Look, Diane,” she started in softly, thinking that she might feel better if she just cleared the air. “I know we don’t know each other very well. And some of the things you do know about me are . . . well, less than flattering.”

“Maria, I—I know what you’re getting at,” Diane broke in. “And it’s okay.”

“It’s not,” she insisted. “I just want you to know how deeply ashamed I am of everything that happened back then.”

“You were in love,” Diane said simply. “I’ve been there. Don’t forget, Jim Valenti and I had feelings for each other when he was still with your mom. And even though I don’t like to admit it . . . yes, we did act on those feelings.”

Maria had actually forgotten about that. Diane seemed so good and pure, but maybe everyone had a little bit of a dark side. Or maybe everyone just made mistakes. “So you don’t hold that against me?” she asked. “I would understand if you do, given how things have turned out with Isabel.”

“Isabel.” Diane had to blink back tears at the mere mention of her daughter. “Isabel is . . . just not the girl I raised her to be. And it breaks my heart. I miss her every day, but if she can’t get her life back on track . . .” She trailed off, sighing. “It’s sad. But I just try to concentrate on Max and on how much progress he’s made. I suppose I owe you some thanks for that.”

“Oh, no, it was all him,” Maria said.

“But I’m sure when you took him back, you helped him find that forgiveness he was looking for. I’ve seen such a change in him.”

“Yeah.” And it was such a good change. Maria understood why Diane would rather celebrate that than dwell on Isabel. “Well . . . thanks,” she said. “I’m glad you let me get that out in the open.”

“Of course,” Diane said. “Come here.” She opened her arms and pulled Maria in for a hug. A real hug, too, not the crappy kind she got from her own mother.

“I’m glad you’re part of the family,” Diane said. “It’ll be nice to have someone to think of as a daughter again.”

Maria smiled shakily, blinking back tears of her own now. God. Why was it that other moms were so much nicer to her than her real one was?

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Michael slept well. Like a baby, in fact. He woke up earlier than he normally would have just because he’d gotten such good, solid sleep. The Nguyen’s guest room was . . . freaking palatial.

When he plodded downstairs, he heard movement in the kitchen, and he smelled something good. As it turned out, Sarah’s father was already awake, and he was making breakfast. “Good morning,” he said to Michael.

“Morning,” Michael returned.

“Sleep well?”

“Great.” He actually kind of regretted that they were only staying one night. Another night in that bed would have been fine by him. Although the obvious plus side of going home was getting to share a bed with Sarah. He couldn’t very well do that in her parents’ house.

“You like scrambled eggs?” Tim asked.

“Who doesn’t?” Michael went up to the counter, and Tim handed him a whisk.

“Go ahead and stir that,” he instructed.

Michael stared down at the mixture of egg yolks and milk in the bowl. “I’m a really bad cook,” he admitted. “Seriously, if it wasn’t for your daughter, I’d starve.”

Tim chuckled. “She’s a good cook.”

“Good girlfriend,” Michael added, reluctantly stirring. God, he hoped he didn’t screw this up. Nobody could really screw up scrambled eggs . . . right?

“Is she awake yet?” Tim asked as he quickly, expertly chopped up a few green peppers. He already had a small pile of chopped tomatoes and diced ham.

“Nah, I peaked in her room when I got up, but she’s still sleeping,” Michael replied.

“Really? She’s usually not a late riser.”

“Oh, you’d be surprised. She can sleep late when she wants to,” Michael told him. “Sometimes when she doesn’t have to work or have any studying to do, she just wants to stay in bed all day.” He realized how inappropriate that sounded, so he quickly added, “To sleep. Just sleeping.”

Tim laughed again, motioning for him to pour the eggy mixture into the frying pan. Michael did so carefully, convinced that he was going to somehow make a mess of this.

“So your sister really put you on the spot yesterday,” Tim said as he dumped small handfuls of the ham, pepper, and tomatoes in with the egg mixture, “asking you when you and Sarah planned to get married and all.”

“Yeah,” Michael agreed. “I wasn’t really . . . expecting that.”

“Oh, expect it,” Tim said, picking up the spatula so he could slide the contents in the frying pan all about. “After you’ve been with someone for a while, people start . . . I don’t want to say pressuring, because that’s not quite the right word. But people will ask about it.”

“Victor’s asked before,” Michael told him.

“Oh, I’m sure he has.” Tim slid all the mixture away from the sides so it wouldn’t get stuck there as it started to form, then handed the spatula over to Michael. “You know, I dated Vivian for three years before I proposed to her,” he revealed. “But I just had to wait until the time was right, for both of us.”

“Yeah.” That made him feel better. He didn’t want Sarah’s dad to think he was dragging his feet or anything.

“But I just want you to know,” Tim added, “that it’s an incredible thing for me to be able to see my daughter loved by a man like you.”

A man, Michael thought, soaking that all in. I’m a man to him, not a boy. It gave him a good feeling.

“And whenever the time is right,” Tim went on, “and you do feel compelled to ask her . . .” He smiled kindly. “You have my blessing.”

Holy shit, Michael thought. This was . . . huge. He was so taken aback that he couldn’t really form any words, so he just smiled back and nodded, silently communicating his appreciation. It was good to know that he could fit in so well with this family, this family that was so different from his own, and that they wanted him around for a long time to come.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

“Wait, so you asked for his blessing?” Kyle inquired for clarification as he waded around the five foot deep part of the indoor pool at the rec center.

Sitting on the side with his feet dangling in, Michael said, “No, he just gave it to me.” Days had passed since his surprisingly heartfelt conversation with Sarah’s dad, and he still wasn’t over it.

“Wow,” Kyle said. “That’s . . .”

“I know. Remember when I used to be every parent’s worst nightmare?”

Kyle laughed, changing positions so that he was floating on his back now. “Wasn’t that long ago.”

“No,” Michael agreed. Sometimes it was weird that so much had changed so quickly. “Anyway . . . it was a good time.”

“You like her family, huh?”

“I love her family.”

“And her family loves you.”

“Yeah, thank God.” He’d certainly dealt with enough disapproving parents in his lifetime, from Jeff Parker to Diane Evans. Though Amy DeLuca was certainly the most notable. That woman had never liked him. Sarah’s parents were a nice change of pace.

Kyle put his feet down again, treading water for a bit. “My dad and I actually had a pretty good time, too,” he said.

“Did you tell him about . . .” He trailed off, because it wasn’t necessary to even say it.

“Yeah.”

“How’d he react?”

“He was really . . . supportive and happy for me.”

“Yeah?”

“Yeah.”

Michael was glad to hear that. Jim wasn’t a bad guy at all—hell, back in high school, Michael had practically idolized him. The man scored more than tail than a slow kid at the petting zoo—but he had a history of being pretty hard on Kyle sometimes, expecting a lot of him. The last couple years had softened him up a lot.

“You know,” Kyle said as he used his arm muscles to push himself up out of the pool, taking a seat on the side with Michael, “he used to be so focused on the football dream, but obviously that got shot to hell. So now I think he realizes he needs new dreams for me. And seeing me be a dad must be one of ‘em.”

Michael nodded. “It’s a good dream to have.”

“Yeah,” Kyle agreed. “But I think I’d feel better about it if I was sure I’d be good at it.”

“You will be,” Michael assured him. He’d already seen a change in Kyle, just from the night he’d wheeled himself over to his apartment until now. Like today, for instance. Kyle had initiated a workout session here at the pool. That never would have happened at the start of the school year.

“I don’t know,” Kyle sighed skeptically. “Tess and I . . . we’re pretty distant right now. She’s got her guard up around me.”

“You’ll still be a good dad,” Michael promised him. And maybe seeing him step into that role would help Tess learn to love him or trust him again. “Just don’t be like my dad. That . . . sucked.”

Kyle shot him a sympathetic glance and said, “No, I won’t be like him. But I don’t really wanna be like my dad, either. I mean, I love the guy, but . . . he just had that tunnel vision all the time. It was a lot of pressure growing up.”

Michael remembered that. He remembered the nights when Kyle had been dealing with so much pressure at home that he’d had to come over and sleep on his couch or his bedroom floor, just to feel like he could breathe again. “So what kind of dad do you wanna be like?” he asked his friend.

“Honestly?” Kyle looked right at him and smiled. “You.”

Michael stared at him in disbelief. What? he thought. Me? Out of all the people Kyle could possibly want to emulate . . .

Kyle looked down towards the other end of the pool, smiling wistfully, hopefully. “I wanna be like you were with Dylan,” he said.

Michael felt a lump form in the back of his throat. He wanted to say something, maybe even joke about it somehow, but he was so stunned that words escaped him. Never in a million years had he thought that anyone would want to be like him, at least not the high school version of him. But then again . . . maybe he hadn’t been all bad. Dylan had always been able to bring the good parts of him out.

It was weird, but for the first time since finding out that Kyle and Tess were going to be parents, he realized just how envious he was.

TBC . . .

-April
sarammlover
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Somewhere, Anywhere (M&M, CC/UC, AU, Adult) Part 35, 08/14/16

Post by sarammlover »

Wow....Michael got Sarah's dad's blessing...wonder if he will ever take it.....and I am glad for Maria and DIane's friendship. Amy is a pain in the ass.

Excited to see what Kyle does coming up!! Seems like he is slowly getting back on track?!?!?!?!
keepsmiling7
Roswell Fanatic

Re: Somewhere, Anywhere (M&M, CC/UC, AU, Adult) Part 35, 08/14/16

Post by keepsmiling7 »

That was quite an interesting Thanksgiving feast...........and an unusual group of people attending.
Wonder what will be happening next??
Thanks,
Carolyn
April
Roswell Fanatic

Part 36

Post by April »

Sara:
Wow....Michael got Sarah's dad's blessing...wonder if he will ever take it.....
We'll see. He got it without even asking for it, though, so I guess that's proof of how much Sarah's family likes him and trusts him with her.
Excited to see what Kyle does coming up!! Seems like he is slowly getting back on track?!?!?!?!
He really is trying. There's a scene with him in this part that I really like. :)

Carolyn:
That was quite an interesting Thanksgiving feast...........and an unusual group of people attending.
Of course. ;) Any meal in this fic is like a chance for me to explore some group dynamics.

Thanks for reading! Sorry for the delay. I meant to update this yesterday, but now that the school year has started up again and I'm back to teaching, real life gets in the way sometimes.

Part 36

The end of Thanksgiving break brought about the return of normal routines. Michael returned to his classes, as did the kids at Pound. He wasn’t scheduled to pull any practicum time on Monday, but he went anyway, just for the hell of it.

He volunteered to supervise lunch duty, and while he was doing that, he got a chance to watch Dylan interact with his friends. The kid was king of the lunch table. When he talked—and he did that a lot—all his friends listened. He seemed to have some genius trading system set up, too, where they would all swap sandwiches with each other if they brought cold lunch, and he always seemed to end up with the best one.

Michael smiled as he watched him. He was a pretty incredible kid.

“Hey.”

He startled a bit, surprised when Maria was all of a sudden standing at his side. “Oh, hey,” he said, noting that she was wearing the crimson Aggies sweatshirt he’d given her before break. It was big on her. “What’re you doin’ here?”

“I got a phone call from Vanessa Whitaker,” she explained, “something about Dylan’s circle of friends.” A concerned look crossed her face. “What’s going on? Are his friends being mean to him? Is he being mean to them?”

“No, that’s not . . .” He put his hand on her shoulder and motioned her out of the lunch room. “Here, come with me,” he said, ushering her towards the office. There were other staff members supervising the lunchroom, so it wouldn’t be a big deal for him to slip away. “Vanessa’s in a meeting right now, but I can explain it to you,” he offered, opening the door to his supervisor’s office. He took a seat in her chair, unaccustomed to sitting on that side of the desk, and she sat down across from him.

“You look so grown up,” she remarked.

He smiled a bit, wordlessly accepting the compliment. Never in a million years had he pictured them sitting together like this, in these roles. It was funny how things worked out.

“So what’s wrong?” she asked.

“Nothing. Uh . . . it’s a good thing, actually,” he assured her. “See, Circle of Friends is what we do here for the kids who have problems socializing. We pick the kids who are good, positive leaders—like Dylan—and we teach ‘em how to interact with the kids who struggle.”

“Like the new kid you’re gonna work with, the autistic one.”

“Yeah. We thought Dylan would be a good fit in his Circle of Friends.”

She breathed a sigh of relief. “I thought something bad was going on.”

“No, it’s good. It’s a compliment, really, to him and to . . . you know, how you’ve raised him.” He felt weird saying that, only because . . . he knew he’d played a part in raising Dylan, too. Not as big of a part as she had, obviously, but in a way, it was nice to think that maybe he’d instilled some good qualities back when he’d been in that father figure role. “Anyway, he doesn’t have to do it, but usually the kids end up enjoying it, and it’s a good chance for them to learn how to treat someone who’s a little bit different.”

“Yeah,” she said. “What exactly do they do?”

“It’s not a huge commitment or anything. Just about once or twice a month, we pull the group into the office here, and they have lunch together. We try to talk about stuff goin’ on at school, like if there’s a game or a field trip or a dance coming up. And the kids in the circle help model and demonstrate how you’re supposed to act in those social situations. It’s not like it’ll be some huge extra responsibility for him.”

“Right.” She nodded enthusiastically. “I think it sounds good. I think he’d like being a part of it.”

“Yeah, I think so, too.” He opened Vanessa’s bottom right desk drawer, pulled a yellow paper out of a folder, and handed it to her. “Anyway, here’s the official information about it, but it’s pretty much what I just told you. So talk to him about it, and . . . I don’t know, talk to Max.” He couldn’t help but roll his eyes just saying that guy’s name. “If you guys want him to do it, just sign the bottom of that form and get it back to us. You could even give it to me in class.”

“Okay,” she said, folding up the paper and sticking it in her purse. “Sounds good. Thanks.” She just sat there then for a few seconds, as if she wasn’t sure whether she should leave or not. And he wasn’t sure, either. There wasn’t much more to say about the Circle thing, but . . . she didn’t have to leave.

She pushed the chair back and stood up, though, heading for the door.

“Nice sweatshirt,” he said just to stop her.

She plucked at the bottom of it and asked, “Do you want it back?”

“No.” He had plenty. Besides . . . it looked better on her anyway.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

For some reason, Maria had always pictured Tess and Kyle living in a big house together. Maybe it was because Kyle had seemed destined for pro-football stardom back when she’d known him, destined to rake in millions. Or maybe it was because Tess had lived in a pretty big house back in high school. But none of that had materialized for them. Maria was actually quite surprised when she drove to their house and saw where they lived after getting their address from Michael. It was . . . small. Even smaller than the house her mom owned. There was a wheelchair ramp out front, rows of dead flowers near the side of the house, and paint chipping away all over.

Mental note, she thought as she got out of the car, Max has some potential customers here. What remained of the paint on the house was an awful pea green color. Max could probably make it more of a sea foam.

Kyle was sitting out on the front steps, gulping down a sizeable bottle of water, beads of sweat trickling down his head. His clothes looked damp, like he’d been working out.

“Hey, Kyle,” she said.

“Oh, hey, Maria,” he returned. “How you doin’?”

“Good.” She stepped in front of him and asked, “Did you just get back from a run?”

“No, a walk.”

Oh god, I’m so stupid, she thought. Of course he hadn’t been running.

“What can I do for you?” he asked.

“Nothing.” She sat down beside him, hoping she wasn’t intruding or being a nuisance. “I just had some spare time today, so I thought I’d stop by and say . . . congratulations.” It sounded so cheesy and lame, but she didn’t want to not say it.

“Thanks,” he said. “Who told you?”

“Michael. But I kinda already knew.”

Kyle took another big drink of water, down at the bottom of his bottle now. “It was . . . unexpected.”

“Yeah. I get that.” She was the queen of an unexpected pregnancy.

“I can’t imagine what you went through when you were in high school,” he said, squirting what remained of his water onto his head. “I mean, I’m twenty-one, and I’m still freaking out. I feel like I’m just not ready. Scared and unprepared.”

Maria laughed lightly as she recalled that feeling. “Yeah, I remember feeling the exact same way. But it worked out. It’s been really hard, but it’s been worth it.” All the good times she’d had with Dylan far outweighed any hardships.

“Can I ask you something?” he said suddenly.

She nodded.

“Something personal.”

She nodded again.

“When you told Max you were pregnant . . . how’d he react?”

Inwardly, she shuddered, because that wasn’t a happy memory to think back on. “Not well.”

“Did he . . .” Kyle lowered his voice, seemingly hesitant to ask, “Did he tell you to get an abortion?”

She tensed, unable to say anything. The only person she’d ever had this conversation with was Michael.

“Because I didn’t say those exact words to Tess,” he went on, “but I . . . heavily implied it.”

For a moment, she was taken aback, just because she’d never expected Kyle to have that reaction. Even though she’d never known him all that well, he’d always struck her as a really calm, collected guy. But his injury had definitely changed him. “Is that what you want?” she asked, removing any and all judgment from her tone. He was entitled to react to the twists and turns in his life however he wanted to, even if it was insensitive.

“No,” he insisted. “I just said it in the heat of the moment. But ever since then, she’s been pretty mad at me. We’ve barely even talked.”

She sighed, doubting there would ever be an easy way for Tess and Kyle to overcome this. Whatever conversation they’d had was one that they would both remember. Forever. “It takes time,” she said. “It took a long time for me to forgive Max.”

“How’d you do it?” he asked, sounding as if he were almost desperate to know.

She shrugged, wishing she could give him a concrete answer. “It just happened. Max isn’t the same guy he used to be.”

“Yeah.” Kyle drew the word out sadly, regretfully. “Neither am I. But Max changed for the better; I changed for the worse.”

“But you’re still you.” Just the fact that they were even having this conversation was a good sign. “I think if you start to believe in yourself again, then Tess will start to believe in you, too.”

He nodded contemplatively, managing the smallest of smiles. “Thanks, Maria,” he said, sounding genuinely grateful for the advice. And she was happy to give it. After all the years of being a walking, talking cautionary tale for young girls everywhere, it was nice to be able to draw on her own experience to try to help someone else out.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

“For those of you taking the follow-up to this course next semester . . .” The professor tapped the white board, where he had written Music Appreciation 2 sloppily. “I’ll be teaching my section on the same days at the same times. Now if that doesn’t fit in your schedule, there will be another section of the class offered on Wednesday evenings. It’s taught by another professor, and it goes from 7:00 to 10:00. So it’s a bit of a tradeoff: only one class per week, but it’s for a larger block of time.”

Michael shifted in his seat, starting to tune the young professor out when he started discussing the curriculum they would cover next semester. He didn’t care what the hell the music was that they were appreciating. He just wondered . . . if Maria would be appreciating it.

He looked at her, quietly asking, “So are you gonna take that class with the same professor then? You think?”

She squirmed in her seat a bit and answered, “Uh, yeah, probably. But I have to wait to register, ‘cause I’m still just a freshman.”

“Oh, yeah.” He forgot about that. She was a year older than him, but he had far more college courses under his belt. “I think I’m gonna register tonight,” he told her, trying to casually mention what was on his mind. He felt awkward, so he finally just said it. “Actually, I was thinking about maybe taking another music class next semester.”

Her eyebrows shot upward questioningly. “Like Music Appreciation?”

“Yeah.”

“Why?”

“Well, I’m kind of ahead on my credits,” he explained. “So there’s really only three classes I have to take next semester. But I have to take four to be a full-time student, and I have to be a full-time student to keep my scholarships, so . . .” He was just being logical.

“So why not take another psychology class then?”

Yeah. That was a good question. “I don’t wanna overload on psych,” he said. “I mean, I love it, obviously, but I kinda wanna do something different, too.”

“So naturally . . . Music Appreciation.”

He held up two fingers. “Dos.”

The guy in front of them turned around and shushed them, but they only stayed quiet for a minute before picking up the conversation again.

“Don’t you have any other general classes left to take?” she asked him.

“Nope.” Technically he didn’t even have to be taking this one, but surprisingly, he actually kind of enjoyed it. “Besides, Vanessa mentioned to me that it might be good to take another music class. ‘cause that Jake kid who I’m gonna work with . . . music’s, like, the only thing he responds to. It calms him.” They were giving the kid two music classes each day, just because they thought it might give him a sense of stability and an outlet to express himself. “So maybe I can learn something that’ll help reach him,” he summarized. And he wasn’t just blowing smoke by saying that. He’d done the research, and he knew that a lot of school counselors were seeking out music education experiences, because music reached kids in a way traditional methods couldn’t.

“Yeah, I think taking a semester-long class goes above and beyond the call of duty, though,” Maria said skeptically.

“What’re you saying? You don’t want me to take the class with you?” He decided to pull out the charm and the teasing grin, knowing he could get her to lighten up about it. “You don’t wanna see me get a hundred percent on all my tests? Is that what you’re saying?” he joked.

That reluctant smile he’d grown so accustomed to seeing tugged at her lips, and she shook her head. “God, you’re an ass.”

He smirked.

“Do whatever you think is best for you, Michael,” she told him. “It’s fine by me either way.”

What’s best for me? he thought. It didn’t matter if it was what was best for him; it was what he wanted to do.

He went home that night, got online, and signed up for his classes. The system the university had was pretty much like Amazon.com, except instead of putting products into your shopping cart, you put classes in there. He got the educational psychology class he wanted, plus professor Barnaby’s Personality Theory class. He had to sign up for Research Methodology . . . and then there was Music Appreciation 2. He put it in his cart, but he hesitated once it was time to hit the Register Now button. He’d been thinking about this class for a while, mulling over the possibility of it, but for the first time since he’d decided he would take it . . . he started second-guessing himself. And his motives.

Be a full-time student, he reminded himself. Don’t overload on psych. Help the autistic kid. Those were all valid reasons.

The door swung open while he was still staring at the screen, and in came Sarah, wearing her scrubs. “Hey, baby,” she chirped.

He quickly clicked the registration button and closed out of the browser window. “Hey.”

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Every morning at her pastry shop, Liz made three dozen traditional donuts, and every morning, she frosted them and put sprinkles on them. Normally, it was a task she could finish quickly, but when somebody stopped by to talk, it took her a lot longer. Especially when that person was Max.

He stayed for a while, because he didn’t have to be on the construction site until 10:30 that day. He told her all about an interesting conversation he’d had with Maria last night. Apparently Michael was planning on taking a spring semester music class. Which Liz thought was weird.

“So are you sure you’re okay with it?” she asked him for at least the third time. He kept saying it was fine, but she wasn’t quite certain she believed him.

“Yeah.” He dropped a few snowflake sprinkles onto a blue frosted donut, assisting her, even though her progress had virtually halted. “And I’m glad she was just upfront with me about it instead of trying to keep it a secret.”

“Yeah, that’s good,” she agreed. But still . . . it just struck her as very . . . odd. She knew Michael; she remembered him coming into the Crashdown as a junior in high school, complaining about how much he hated choir, grumbling that he was only taking it because he’d been kicked out of art class and needed fine arts credits to graduate.

Even though Max probably didn’t want to hear it, Liz couldn’t help but question the whole situation a little more. “Don’t you think it’s at all weird, though?” she said. “I mean, what’s next, is he gonna change his whole major?”

“It’s just one more class, Liz,” Max said evenly. “And Maria even offered to take the Wednesday night section, but I don’t want her to do that.”

She understood that—Maria was a mom, after all, and evenings were when she got to spend her time with Dylan—but one night a week wasn’t so bad. Maybe Max should have asked her to do that. “I just . . . look, I really admire and respect how calm and mature you’ve been about all this,” she said, reaching across the counter to put her hand on top of his. “But if something ever doesn’t feel right to you and you think you need to put your foot down, don’t be afraid to do it.”

He squeezed her hand momentarily, then let it go. “I appreciate your concern, Liz,” he told her. “But it’s fine. I know Maria and I are solid, and have you seen Michael and Sarah together? It’s pretty obvious how he feels about her.”

“Yeah, Sarah’s really great,” Liz agreed. Hell, if she had any lesbian urges, she’d probably be attracted to her. Sarah just had that type of personality that was impossible not to love. “I just want you to be careful.”

“I’ve been careful,” he pointed out, “ever since that night on the bridge.” He looked away, as if even just mentioning it ashamed him.

“Yeah, I know,” she said softly. She was so proud of all the changes he’d made, and now she just didn’t want anything—or anyone—to jeopardize it.

“Honestly, you wanna know the only part about this whole thing that irks me?” he said.

“What?”

“It has nothing to do with them having a class together. It’s just . . .” He pressed his lips together tightly for a moment, as if he weren’t even sure whether or not he wanted to say anything. “Michael, you know. Michael Guerin of all people, the guy who barely graduated high school, is now a star student at NMSU. And he’s probably gonna have a great job someday. And then there’s me, and I paint houses. And work construction.” He motioned to the hard hat that was literally only a few feet away, hanging on the back of one of her chairs.

“Max . . .”

“And I know I have no one to blame but myself,” he admitted, “ ‘cause I could still be in college if it wasn’t for the drugs. I know that. But still . . .” He trailed off and sighed deeply. “This sounds really arrogant and selfish, but sometimes I feel like I deserve more. I mean, given my background and given Michael’s, it’s just kinda ironic we ended up where we did.”

It’s kinda lucky you ended up anywhere at all, she thought, recalling how completely messed up he’d been the night he’d gotten high and taken Dylan out of the Guerin home. She’d never seen someone so lost, so confused, and so terrified.

“I get what you’re saying,” she sympathized. “I mean, I love Scarlet, and I love my job, but . . . I’m in one college class right now.” And it was a business class, definitely not the kind of thing that would help her become that molecular biologist she’d once dreamed of being. “This just isn’t exactly what I pictured for myself.”

“Right,” he said. “It’s not bad; it’s just . . .”

“Different,” she filled in.

“Yeah.” He stared at her for a few seconds, then cleared his throat and said, “Anyway, I gotta get to work. But tell Scarlet I’ll stop by tomorrow night.”

“I will,” she promised, though Scarlet was way too young to comprehend that. She wouldn’t know he was coming, but when he showed up, her whole face would just sparkle, the way it always sparkled when she was with her daddy.

“Alright, well . . .” He grabbed his hard hat and said, “Thanks for listening, Liz.” He gave her a quick smile, and then he turned and headed for the door. She watched him leave, glad that she was able to listen, to be his friend, his confidante. He didn’t really have anyone else to just talk to.

Just when she was thinking that she might be able to finish up frosting the damn donuts, Doug came into the shop, walking right past Max on his way in.

“Hey,” she greeted him.

“Hi,” he returned. He looked back at Max as he walked out the door and down the sidewalk, a glint of intrigue in his eyes. “Who’s that?” he asked. “He’s gorgeous.”

“That’s Max,” Liz told him, still getting accustomed his . . . gayness.

“New boyfriend?” he asked.

“Old boyfriend, actually. He’s Scarlet’s father.”

“Oh, no wonder she’s such a cute kid then. Great genetics on both sides,” he complimented.

She laughed a little, thinking that it was probably more of Max’s genetics than hers. She wasn’t an ugly duckling by any means, but Max had that whole smoldering thing going on. He always had.

“Are you two getting back together?” Doug questioned.

“Oh, no. No,” she answered quickly. “He’s just . . . it’s a friendship, nothing more.”

“You sure?”

“Very.” Why would he even ask that? Wasn’t it obvious? “He’s actually in a relationship with his other ex-girlfriend, who’s the mother of his son,” she informed him. “And also a really good friend of mine, so I would never . . .”

“Never?”

“Never.” The thought didn’t even cross her mind.

“Okay,” Doug said, sighing. “I was just wondering.”

She picked up a handful of the snowflake sprinkles and dumped a generous amount onto an abnormally small donut, trying to refocus herself. She wasn’t upset at him for asking her about any of this, but she really hoped he wouldn’t ask again. Sometimes it was better to just not wonder about things.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Bath and Body Works wasn’t Michael’s typical destination at the Carlsbad mall. In fact, no store was his typical destination at the mall, because he hated going there and avoided it like the plague. But when Maria had mentioned she was going after class to get some Christmas shopping done, he’d offered to go with her. Thus how he’d ended up at Bath and Body Works.

Once inside the store, he found himself intoxicated by the various aromas. He sniffed every free sample he could, going from scent to scent, amazed that each one smelled even better than the last. “Mmm,” he said as he popped open the top of a pink bottle and inhaled eagerly. “Wow, this shit smells good. I feel like I could get high off this.”

Maria came towards him and asked, “What kind is that?”

He looked at the label. “Sweet Pea.”

“That’s my favorite.” She shuffled on down to a further shelf, though, sampling the smell of a fragrance he hadn’t yet tried.

“I remember,” he said quietly, sniffing the Sweet Pea again. She always used to put on that kind of lotion when she got out of the shower.

He put Sweet Pea down and tried the next scent, a purple bottle of body wash. “Ooh, look, Secret Wonderland,” he said. He took a whiff, but it was a little too strong for his liking. “You know, that’s what girls used to call my bedroom.”

She rolled her eyes and grunted, “It didn’t smell like a secret wonderland, though.”

“It got better after you moved in.”

“Yeah, but before that, it was pretty bad.” She grabbed a few bottles of lotion of bubble bath or whatever the hell all this stuff was and dumped them into her shopping basket, and he knew those weren’t all for herself.

“So who you shoppin’ for?” he asked.

“Liz.”

He put Secret Wonderland back and moved closer to her. “Wait, isn’t she, like, your best friend, though?”

“Pretty much.”

“And you’re gettin’ her body wash for Christmas?”

Maria shrugged. “That’s what she asked for.”

“Lame.” He knew girls well enough to know that body wash was the gift you gave someone when you had no idea what else to give.

“She doesn’t want me to spend a lot of money,” Maria said. “Besides, I’m gonna get her something else, too, like a nice shirt or a dress.”

He made a face. “Do I have to tag along for that, too?” Women’s clothing just wasn’t his department. He had no idea what would look good on a girl. Although he was an expert on what looked good off of them.

“You don’t have to tag along for anything,” she pointed out. “I didn’t ask you to come with me.”

He grinned. “But aren’t you glad I did?” This had to be way better than shopping by herself.

“Yes, actually, because I need to find something for Sarah,” she replied in a rush, “but I have no idea what to get her.”

“You don’t have to get her anything.”

“Yeah, I do,” she insisted. “She’s been really, really nice and understanding.”

He shrugged. “Sarah’s easy to shop for. She’ll like anything you get her.”

She gave him a look and a sarcastic response. “Thanks, that’s really helpful.”

“What? She will.”

“I was thinking maybe a cookbook,” she said, readjusting her now-heavy basket. “But then I was like, no, she probably already knows how to make every single recipe in there.”

“Then get her . . .” He reached out and took the basket from her. “I don’t know, a calendar or something.”

“A calendar.” She sounded unenthused by the idea.

“Yeah.”

“What kind?”

“I don’t know. Puppies.”

She groaned exaggeratedly and complained, “You are the worst person to be doing this with.”

“Hey, I’m not so bad,” he proclaimed. “I might not agonize over gifts the way you do, but usually I end up giving some pretty good ones. Remember?”

A small, shy smile spread across her face, and he knew she was remembering their one and only Christmas together when he’d surprised her with a guitar. “Yeah.”

He smiled as he remembered it, too. That damn guitar had cost him a pretty penny, but it’d been so worth it to see that happiness on her face, to hear her play it. It was the moment when he’d realized he was falling in love with her. He’d never forget it.

“You know, I still have that guitar,” she said.

“Really?”

“Mmm-hmm. Best gift I ever got.”

Best gift he’d ever given. “You ever play it?” he asked.

She shook her head. “I haven’t for a long time.”

Well . . . at least she still had it, though. “You should,” he suggested. Even though Maria didn’t long to be a singer anymore, music was still clearly a part of her, and that guitar brought the music out.

After they wrapped things up at Bath and Body Works, they walked deeper into the mall, to the part where Michael started to become overwhelmed with all the clothing stores. There was a Game Stop way down at the end, and he longed to go in there, but Maria went into some women’s clothing store he couldn’t even pronounce, so he went with her.

He had no idea what he was doing in there.

“What the hell is this?” he spat as he held up a strapless bright blue . . . something. “Is this a shirt or a dress? Because if it’s a shirt, it’s too long, but if it’s a dress, it’s just right.” Either way, it wasn’t skimpy enough to maintain his interest, though, not when he noticed his favorite store just across from this one. “Ooh, Victoria’s Secret,” he said, putting the blue garment back on the rack. “Let’s go in there.”

“I am not going in there with you,” Maria voiced adamantly.

“Fine, I’ll go by myself.” He started to walk out, but she reached out and grabbed his arm to stop him.

“Wait a minute,” she said. “Are you seriously gonna get your girlfriend lingerie for Christmas?”

“Yeah, why not? That’s what I get her every year.”

“That’s not a gift for her; it’s a gift for you,” she said.

“Exactly. It’s the gift that keeps on giving.”

She rolled her eyes, reaching around him to grab the same leather jacket that was displayed on one of the mannequins in the window. “Here,” she said, handing it to him. “Get her this.”

“This is cool,” he said, examining it as she walked around him. Sarah would look great in this. Although it felt like real leather, which got him wondering how expensive it was. He took a glance at the price tag and almost fainted. “Oh, and costly.” He hung it back up and decided, “I think I’ll go with the shirt/dress.” He could order the lingerie online.

He walked back over to the blue mystery item, searching through the sizes for what he guessed was Sarah’s, and as he did so, he watched Maria. Watched her walk through and around all the racks of clothing, browsing but not necessarily settling on anything. He wondered if Max would come into a store like this within the next few weeks and get something nice for her, or if he already had. And then he wondered if maybe Max would get her lingerie, too. Just the thought of that pissed him off.

“So what do you think Max is gettin’ you?” he asked, holding up a medium in the blue dress. Yeah, that looked like it’d fit.

“I don’t know,” she said, checking the price tag on a long, floral-print dress. “He said he wanted to get me something really meaningful this year.”

Michael tensed up, falling silent for a moment. Meaningful? Did that mean . . . was he referring to . . .? Oh god, he hoped not.

Even though he was scared of what her answer would be, he asked the anxious question anyway. “Do you think he’s gonna propose?”

She whirled around, looking . . . almost alarmed, as if she hadn’t even considered that option. “No.”

He shrugged doubtfully. “That’d be meaningful.”

“He’s not gonna . . .” She trailed off, laughing nervously. “No.”

“You sure?”

That look in her eyes was not sure. Not sure at all.

Great, he thought. It was a possibility then. He meandered towards her, bravely asking another question, one he dreaded the answer to even more. “If he did, would you say yes?”

She huffed as if she were outraged or incredulous. And it took her a few seconds to say anything. “Are you seriously asking me that?”

“Yeah.” Funny how she didn’t answer.

“He’s not gonna propose.”

Still not an answer. “But if he did, what would you say?”

She snorted again, looking completely flabbergasted by all of this. “That’s none of your business.”

“Just answer the question.”

“No, I don’t have to.”

“So you wouldn’t then?” he concluded hopefully.

“What?”

“You wouldn’t say yes?”

“No, I would . . .” Again she trailed off, seeming as if she were at a complete loss for words. Or at least the one word that mattered. “This is stupid,” she muttered angrily. “He’s not gonna ask me.”

“He might. I did.”

“Yeah, and look how well that worked out for us.” She turned her back to him and pretended to be all interested in looking at that long floral dress again.

“I just think it’s interesting that you said yes to me in an instant, but you don’t know what the hell you’d say to him.”

She spun back around, and she had that lively, ignited look in her eyes now. “I know what I’d say,” she claimed.

“Oh, really? ‘cause you haven’t said it yet.” And he loved that. He really, truly did.

“God, why do you have to do this?” she yelled, throwing her arms down at her sides. Both their voices were rising now, and other customers in the store were starting to look over at them. “We are finally at a point in our relationship where we’re friends, and then you go and say stuff like this. You have no right to be so nosy!”

“I just asked a question,” he said innocently, “a simple question, by the way.”

“It’s not that simple,” she argued.

“It should be.” If she loved the guy and saw a future with him, then it should have been simple to think about him proposing and imagine herself accepting.

“Fine, you know what?” she growled, apparently fed up with all of this. “I would say yes. I would marry him, because I love him. In fact, he was my first love. Let’s not forget about that.”

He didn’t have a snappy comeback for that one. Because honestly . . . that hurt. He hated that Max had been her first for so many things. Because when it came to first loves . . . his was standing right in front of him.

“God!” she hissed again, stomping out of the store. She didn’t look back, and he didn’t even try to follow her. No, he’d pushed the issue too hard, made too big of a deal out of it, and now she was mad at him. Fantastic.

He halfheartedly went over to Victoria’s Secret after their fight, but he just wasn’t into it anymore. He made a detour for Game Stop, picked up two video games, one for himself and one for Kyle, and then he sulked back out to the food court. He got himself a root beer, and he planned on ordering food, too, until he saw Maria sitting alone at one of the tables. She had a whole bowl full of pasta in front of her, but she was just pushing the noodles around with her plastic fork, not eating anything.

Drink in hand, he made his way towards her, bracing himself for the possibility of her just getting up and walking away when he sat down. But she didn’t. He stood over her, casting a shadow, and she just sat there, eyes fixed on her uneaten food, never looking up at him.

Any apology would have been a weak one, because he wasn’t really sorry. Maybe he hadn’t gone about it in the most tactful way, but he didn’t regret questioning the strength of her feelings for Max. At all. He’d do it again a thousand times if that was what it took for her to leave the guy.

He sat down in the chair across from her, feeling a bit defeated. Because apparently she wasn’t planning on leaving the guy anytime soon. Would she really say yes to him if he proposed? He wasn’t quite sure whether he believed her answer or not, but he knew he sure as hell didn’t want to.

They sat in silence for a few minutes, and eventually he slid his root beer across the table to her. She eyed it curiously, then finally looked at him. “What is that?” she asked.

“Root beer.”

Under normal circumstances, she probably would have smiled. But she was still too pissed to do that. Oh, well, though. He knew that one drink was enough for her to get her thinking back to how many times he’d come into the Crashdown Café while she’d been waitressing, and how many root beers she’d given him despite his initial attempt to get an actual beer.

It was just one of their little things.

It took her a bit, but finally, she moved the drink closer to her side of the table, brought the straw up to her lips, and took a sip.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Dylan must have had a busy, active day at school, because he fell asleep quickly that night, far more quickly than he usually did, and earlier, too. Maria was happy about that, though, because she was tired, too, and she didn’t intend to stay up very late.

She left her son’s room and heard Max mulling about in the bathroom. She opened the door and peaked in, finding him standing in front of the mirror, shaving, a towel wrapped around his waist, his hair damp.

“Hey,” she said, unable to stifle a yawn.

“Tired?” he noted.

“Yeah. I went Christmas shopping today. That kinda wears me out.” At this point, she was done with the mall. Nothing good ever seemed to happen there. She’d do the rest of her shopping online.

“It is tiring,” he agreed, dragging his razor across his jawline, removing the stubble that had formed these past couple days.

“Christmas is getting close, though,” she said, leaning against the doorframe, trying to gradually and subtly segue into more serious territory.

“Yep,” he agreed, rinsing his razor off. He shook it to dry it, then returned it to its holder in the shower.

“I’m really curious about what you’re getting me,” she said, sliding her hands into the back pockets of her jeans. Well, she hadn’t been curious until today, but now, it was all she could think about. Thanks a lot, Michael. “Any hints?”

Max smirked. “Nope.”

“Not even one?”

He took a look at his reflection in the mirror, running his hands over the areas of skin he’d just shaved. Apparently satisfied, he said, “It’s something I should’ve given you a long time ago. That’s all I’ll say,” then kissed her cheek, and slipped past her and headed toward the bedroom.

She inhaled sharply, allowing her mind to go there and assume that Michael had been right all along today. What if he really did propose? Marriage was a really big deal, and sure, they had a child together and had been dating again for a year now, but . . .

It was just a really, really big deal.

TBC . . .

-April
keepsmiling7
Roswell Fanatic

Re: Somewhere, Anywhere (M&M, CC/UC, AU, Adult) Part 36, 08/22/16

Post by keepsmiling7 »

Interesting conversation between Kyle and Max. Kyle is still not sure about becoming a father, is he?
Liz is a good listener when Max expresses his regrets.......and he appears to be a good father to Scarlett.
I'm not so sure Maria is ready to accept Max's proposal.......if he is indeed planning that.
Time will tell on this issue.
Thanks,
Carolyn
sarammlover
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Somewhere, Anywhere (M&M, CC/UC, AU, Adult) Part 36, 08/22/16

Post by sarammlover »

There you go planting that Max/Liz seed.....they seem to be in a really good place right now as co-parents. Maria and Max feel forced and I am surprised Michael pushed Maria that hard about a proposal....hmmm.....still those pesky unresolved feelings.
April
Roswell Fanatic

Part 37

Post by April »

Carolyn:
Interesting conversation between Kyle and Max. Kyle is still not sure about becoming a father, is he?
I'm assuming you mean Kyle and Maria. And yes, Kyle is very nervous about his impending fatherhood. He doesn't know if he's up to the task.
and he appears to be a good father to Scarlett.
Max is an excellent father to Scarlet. Every mistake he made with Dylan is a mistake he's determined to NOT make with her.
I'm not so sure Maria is ready to accept Max's proposal.......if he is indeed planning that.
Which is exactly what Michael was trying to get at when he was pressing her on the issue.

Sara:
There you go planting that Max/Liz seed.....they seem to be in a really good place right now as co-parents.
That Max and Liz seed. Yes, they have an interesting . . . an interesting dynamic, I guess you could say. Because they really have worked out a great relationship as co-parents. But . . . there could be some unresolved feelings there, particularly on Liz's side. And speaking of unresolved feelings:
Maria and Max feel forced and I am surprised Michael pushed Maria that hard about a proposal....hmmm.....still those pesky unresolved feelings.
Oh, yeah, Michael and Maria have not resolved ANYTHING between them, which is why Michael pushed so hard about that proposal, and why Maria got so defensive about it.

Thanks for reading and leaving feedback!

Music suggestion today! I'm suggesting "You Know You Like It" by AlunaGeorge and DJ Snake (it's one of those instances where the DJ Snake remix is far superior to the original), which you can listen to here when you see 8) if you'd like.

Part 37

Since she was still somewhat enraged at Michael for being so aggressively inquisitive yesterday, Maria actually contemplated sitting somewhere other than her usual seat in class the next day. Or maybe just skipping altogether. But with the final exam drawing near, that didn’t seem like a good idea. And her feet just automatically took her to her normal seat.

He came in a few minutes after she’d sat down. She saw him coming out of the corner of her eye, but she didn’t even look up at him. When he was behind her, he put both his hands over her eyes, covering them, and instead of asking, “Guess who?” he asked, “You still pissed at me?”

“Maybe,” she grumbled, although she was a bit less pissed now that she realized he might have been onto something. She wasn’t going to give him any information about what Max had said last night, though. He didn’t need to know.

He flung his backpack over the seats and onto the floor, and then he flung himself over, flopping down in the chair beside her. “I’m sorry,” he apologized.

She shook her head, knowing better than to believe that. “No, you’re not.”

“I am,” he insisted. “I didn’t mean to upset you. I shouldn’t have said anything.”

She rolled her eyes. This sounded . . . rehearsed. She knew Michael well enough to know that he wasn’t really sorry for putting her on blast like that. The guy had no filter. Maybe he’d gotten better at keeping himself in check over the years, but there were definitely times when old school Michael came out. And yesterday had been one of those times.

“It’s just . . . I care about you, obviously,” he went on, not sounding rehearsed anymore. “And I just wanna make sure you’re happy.”

“I am happy,” she told him, shooting him a quick glare. What had she or Max or anyone done to give him the impression that she wasn’t? “I know it’s hard for you to accept that, because you don’t accept Max,” she said, “but . . . I can’t keep constantly defending him to you. It’s exhausting.” Max was being so unbelievably accepting about Michael being back in her life, and Michael wasn’t reciprocating any of it. It frustrated the hell out of her, because she wanted him to get over his hostility so badly. “If he were to propose to me and I were to say yes . . . then that’s my prerogative.” It was as simple as that.

“I know,” he mumbled. “I just worry about you.”

She didn’t understand. “Why?” Her life was actually functional now. She was in a stable relationship, she was a college student, and she was raising a healthy, well-adjusted Circle of Friends type son. What was there to worry about?

“I just don’t want you to settle,” he said quietly. “I feel like you deserve so much . . .”

She tensed when she saw him reaching over to her, like maybe he was about to touch her leg or squeeze her hand or something. She didn’t have to tell him not to do that, though, because he withdrew quickly and leaned forward to unzip his backpack instead. “Just forget I ever said anything,” he muttered, searching around for something inside. “I’m an idiot.”

She breathed a silent sigh of relief, forcing her body to relax again. You’re not an idiot, she thought, but even so . . . she would try to forget.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Now that football season was over, Max was ready to switch gears. More than ready, actually. Football had never been his sport, and even though he’d enjoyed watching Dylan play, he was way more pumped up for basketball. Hopefully the kid inherited his jump shot.

It didn’t look good, though. Max pulled his son outside to the driveway after dinner to show him the basketball hoop he’d assembled for him. It was standard size, not the little kid size, because Max wanted him to be able to practice on the real thing. And he was going to need some practice, because whenever he shot the ball, he did this weird little spread eagle type of jump, and he hadn’t made a shot yet.

Around the tenth or so shot, it finally got to the point where it bounced off the rim at least. “Oh, good shot!” Max congratulated him. “That was really close.”

Dylan frowned as the ball rolled back to him. “I’m bad,” he lamented, struggling just to dribble it.

“You’re not bad; you’re just learning,” Max assured him. “I missed a lot of shots when I was your age.” He held out his hands, and Dylan passed him the ball. Then he took a shot and swished it, but Dylan didn’t look as impressed or inspired as he’d hoped. “Go ahead, try again,” he said, bounce-passing the ball back to his son.

Dylan dribbled it a few times, then took a few seconds to line up his shot. He bent his knees, positioned his arms, and released the ball into the air. It went wide right.

“Yeah, that was alright,” Max said, already doing the mental calculations of how long they would need to practice each day for Dylan to make the A team. No way was his son playing on B team. No way. “You excited to play basketball this year?” he asked.

Dylan shrugged. “Not really.”

“No?” That was only because it was new. He was overwhelmed right now, but he’d get the hang of it. “I’m gonna be your coach, you know. It’ll be fun.” He’d been happy to volunteer himself for this job, especially since . . . well, especially since Michael had already gotten his turn.

“I like football,” Dylan declared.

Don’t take it personally, Max reminded himself. Football was Dylan’s first sport, and every little boy loved it at some point. “Well, it’s too cold to play football right now,” he pointed out. In fact, it was probably too cold for them to be outside shooting hoops, but as long as they had their jackets on, they’d be okay. “It’s time to try a new sport.”

Dylan made a face of disdain.

“Basketball’s really cool,” Max insisted. “You’ll like it, trust me.” Once he knew all the rules of the game and felt more confident about what he was doing, he’d love this sport just as much as the last one. Maybe even more.

Even though Max really wanted his son to practice a few more throws before heading inside, that didn’t seem like it would be a possibility when he saw Isabel’s car coming down the road, slowing down as she approached their house. He really didn’t want Dylan to have to interact with her, and besides, he could tell the kid was wanting to call it a night. So he said, “Hey, why don’t you head back inside and get ready for bed. I’ll come tuck you in in a minute.”

Dylan looked relieved to be able to go back inside, and he scampered across the front yard and in the door.

Max sighed, picking up the basketball, spinning it for a few seconds on his left index finger. He’ll get there, he reminded himself. Back when his own father had first encouraged him to pick up a basketball, he’d been reluctant, too.

Isabel got out of the car, wearing what was probably a faux-fur coat over a blue dress that was way too short for her. Or maybe it was supposed to be a shirt. Whatever it was looked inappropriate, and he was glad he’d sent Dylan inside.

“You just don’t want me to have anything to do with him, huh?” she remarked as if reading his mind.

“It’s not that,” he lied to spare her feelings. “It’s just his bedtime.”

“Whatever.” She joined him in the driveway, snatching the basketball away from him. She tried to shoot it, but it dropped well short of the hoop.

“What’re you doin’ here?” he asked, letting the ball roll into the bushes.

“Just wanted to talk,” she replied. “How was your Thanksgiving?”

“It was good.”

She nodded, waiting a beat before asking, “Did you go to Mom’s?”

Well, there was no point in lying about that, especially since she seemed to already know. “Yeah.”

She tried to just act casual, like it didn’t bother her that she hadn’t been invited, but when she inquired, “Did she ask about me?” her voice shook, and he could tell she was upset.

He tried to remember if he’d overheard his mom say anything, maybe even just something in passing. But Isabel’s name hadn’t crossed her lips, at least not when he’d been around.

His silence must have said it all, because she started to get a little teary-eyed. “That’s like my biggest regret, you know?” she said sadly. “Getting kicked out of Princeton I can handle, but getting kicked out of my own mother’s life? That’s a hard pill to swallow.”

He winced, thinking that maybe hard pill to swallow wasn’t the best expression for her to be using, given she’d recently been hospitalized for doing just that.

“Why don’t you come over here on Christmas Day?” he suggested hesitantly. He wasn’t quite sure what having her around would do to the whole mood of their celebration, but it maybe it would cheer her up. Help her out a little. Something.

“Is Mom gonna be here?” she asked hopefully.

He nodded. “Yeah.”

She smiled, excited but clearly trying to contain it. She held so many of her real feelings in nowadays, but being her brother, he knew he sometimes got a glimpse of them.

“Okay,” she said. “I’d like that. Thanks, Max.”

He nodded nervously, hoping that having her around wouldn’t blow up in his face. He wasn’t looking to be Isabel’s sponsor on the road to recovery, because his own recovery was an ongoing process. But maybe if he just gave her a foothold, somewhere to stand up and get started . . . then maybe she could do it on her own.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Watching Leanna pack up her things was hard on Alex, though it wasn’t completely unexpected. In some respect, he’d known this day was coming for a long, long time. They’d just been putting off the inevitable.

He’d already filed for divorce and found his lawyer, and since she wasn’t contesting it, it seemed that it would be a fairly standard procedure. And it would be quick. A couple months, tops, and then he was a single man again. Not that there would be girls lining up outside his door looking to date him or anything.

Leanna had Sean, though, of that much he was sure. Because Sean was waiting outside in his beat-up pickup truck, ready to help carry and load boxes once she was ready. What they had probably wasn’t going to end up being a storybook romance or one of the great love stories of all time, but for now, it was a bona fide relationship.

She didn’t say much as she took all her clothes out of the closet, and that was fine with him. What was there to say? It was over. It was just . . . over.

Still, though . . . even though he knew it was for the best, and even though having this apartment to himself was actually going to be somewhat of a relief, he felt bad for not being able to make it work. Nobody entered into a marriage with the hopes of becoming divorced someday. There was this feeling of failure that accompanied it, and he wasn’t used to failing.

“I think that’s just about everything,” she said, struggling to zip up the first of two gigantic suitcases. “I guess if I forgot anything, I can come back and get it next week.”

He nodded wordlessly. For now, she still had her key, so that’d be fine. But once she was completely moved out, then he was taking that back from her.

“Well . . .” She sighed and flapped her arms against her sides helplessly. “I don’t know what to say.”

Sorry would be a great start, he thought. She hadn’t even apologized. She’d cheated on him, had a legitimate affair with another guy, and she didn’t even seem sorry.

“I didn’t think it was gonna end up like this,” she admitted. “We used to be so good together.”

He grunted, thinking back on the start of their relationship. Had they ever really been a match? He was starting to wonder if he’d just been deluding himself the entire time. He and Leanna had never had much in common, and their relationship had progressed too fast. And honestly, the main thing that had attracted him to her in the first place was that she had long blonde hair like Isabel.

“This is gonna be okay, though,” she insisted. “We’re better off. Something just wasn’t working.”

Well, she was right about that much. These past few months had been awful, and that was probably part of the reason why he wasn’t more devastated about all of this.

“And look at it this way . . .” She actually smiled at him, and for a second, it almost seemed like she still cared about him. “Now you’re free to be with your dream girl.”

He tensed.

Quickly, she added, “Whoever that may be.”

Alex stood there like a statue while she propped her suitcase up on its end, pulled out the handle, and rolled it out of the bedroom and into the hall. Swallowing the lump that had formed in his throat, he tried not to be affected by what she said. Because if he allowed himself to believe that there really was a girl who was the girl of his dreams, then he was admitting that he had never been fully invested in this marriage to begin with. And he didn’t want to have to do that.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Tomato paste or tomato sauce, Maria debated as she surveyed the overwhelming display of cans on the shelves in front of her. Good God. Why were there so many damn options to choose from? All she wanted was something to use in a simple chili recipe, and she didn’t know what to pick. What was the difference between paste and sauce anyway? Did paste taste . . . pastey?

She felt like such an idiot, so she decided to abandon the stupid chili idea altogether and pushed her cart down the aisle. Straight ahead of her was a section of the grocery store she was much, much more familiar with: frozen dinners.

“Maria?”

She spun her whole cart around, and there was Sarah, pushing a full, heaping cart of her own. No frozen dinners in there, that was for sure.

“Hey,” Maria said, quickly reaching for both a can of tomato sauce and paste. She set them down in her cart, then put in a few other random cans, too.

“Cooking for a small army?” Sarah asked as she walked closer.

“Well, just Dylan and Max, but they eat like a small army.”

Sarah laughed. “I’ll bet.”

Even though it was stupid to do so, Maria couldn’t help but survey the contents of the other girl’s cart. There was a lot of meat, and a lot of pasta, and all sorts of different spices and seasonings. She didn’t even have a list in her hand, so that probably meant she could just peruse the aisles and pick out what she wanted on the spot.

“You know what?” Sarah went on—because it wasn’t just grocery shopping that was easy and natural for her; it was conversing, too. “I wonder how many times we might’ve passed by each other in this store or on campus or just anywhere in this town before we knew each other.”

“Probably quite a few,” Maria said. She just smiled then, because she didn’t know what else to say.

“So, got big plans for the weekend?” Sarah asked.

“Um . . . no, not really,” Maria replied. “Dylan’s spending the night at his friend’s house again, so . . .”

“Ooh.” Sarah grinned. “You and Max get a night alone then.”

“Yeah.” There was really no reason to ooh about it, though. The plans they’d made were pretty mundane. “I think we’re just gonna relax and watch a movie or something.”

“Oh my god!” Sarah exclaimed suddenly. “You guys should totally go out with us tonight.”

“Us?” Maria echoed. As in her and Michael? Another double date scenario? Hadn’t they done enough of those?

“Michael and I are going out with Tess and Kyle,” Sarah elaborated.

Oh, so it was already a double date then. Maria couldn’t contain her surprised response to that. “Kyle’s going out?” Wasn’t he, like, a major homebody nowadays?

“Actually, the whole night was his idea,” Sarah told her. “He’s trying to reconnect with Tess, so he wants to take her out on a date. But he’s kinda nervous about it, so that’s why Michael and I are going with him. Reinforcements.”

“Oh.” Maria just nodded, trying to envision how she and Max would fit into that scenario. Was there even such a thing as a triple date? “Well, it sounds like you guys will have a good time then.”

“You should come with us,” Sarah reiterated. “Honestly, the more the merrier. If it’s a group thing, Kyle will feel way more at ease.”

Maria sighed reluctantly, trying to come up with a way to decline the offer without sounding bitchy. “I don’t know . . .”

“It’s not gonna be real wild or anything,” Sarah assured her. “Have you ever been to that bar downtown called The Cave?”

“No.” She’d driven by it, but that was all.

“Well, they remodeled it this summer and added on this, like, nightclub part to it. They’re really trying to appeal to college students. In fact, they’re letting students in free tonight. All you have to do is show your student I.D.”

“Oh, really?”

“Yeah.” Sarah smiled. “You really should come. It’s gonna be fun. But if you can’t, I understand.”

“Well, I’ll just—I’ll have to ask Max what he feels like doing,” Maria stammered unsurely. Truth be told, a night out did sound more exciting than a night in. She and Max were both still young. Why should they be cooped up all night? Maybe they needed to be more lively, like Michael and Sarah were. And maybe if Michael saw them out together, enjoying the night and having a good time, he’d start to see that they actually were a good couple who had a future together.

“We’re gonna get there around 8:00-ish,” Sarah told her, “so maybe I’ll see you there?”

“Maybe.” As weird as it would be to be out with her ex and his girlfriend yet again, at this point, she was kind of getting used to it.

“If not, enjoy the rest of your weekend, alright?”

“Thanks.” Maria gave Sarah a small wave goodbye as she pushed her cart on past. When Sarah rounded the turn into the next aisle, Maria reached into her own cart, took out the tomato paste and sauce, and put them back on the shelf. She then took out her phone and dialed Max’s number.

“Hello?” he answered.

“Hey,” she said, smiling when she heard Dylan’s jovial laugh in the background. “Do you have a minute to talk?”

“Sure,” he said. “Dylan’s just watching TV. I can talk.”

“Okay,” she said, moving her cart back and forth a bit. She wasn’t sure how she was going to even suggest this to Max. He wasn’t the type of guy who went out to bars or clubs anymore. In fact, he tended to keep his distance. “So I was thinking,” she said as casually as she could, “maybe we should go out tonight.”

“Out?” he echoed. “Like to eat?”

“More like . . . just to have fun.” She cringed, regretting the way that had come out. It wasn’t that staying home and watching a movie with him wasn’t fun. That was super chill and relaxing, and sometimes it was exactly what she needed. But it was nice to switch things up once in a while, too.

“Where do you wanna go?” he asked.

“Well, I ran into Sarah just a minute ago, and she was telling me about this bar downtown called The Cave.”

“The Cave?” he echoed.

“Yeah, imagine that, right?” Freakin’ Carlsbad. Everything came down to its caverns, just like everything in Roswell had to be tied back to aliens.

“You wanna go to a bar?” he asked skeptically.

“Well, it’s not just a bar. It’s like a nightclub now, too, apparently. She said a whole bunch of people are going. Like Tess and Kyle and . . .” She trailed off.

“Michael?” he filled in.

“Yeah, probably,” she said flippantly. “Anyway, I don’t know, I was just thinking that maybe it could be fun.”

He was silent for a few seconds, and all she could hear was the sound of the TV in the background. But when he did speak, he actually agreed to it. “Okay.”

“Yeah?” That was easier than she’d thought it would be.

“Yeah, we’ll go,” he said. “See you when you get home.”

“Okay, see you.” She ended the call and dropped her phone back into her purse, feeling the slightest bit excited about tonight now. It wasn’t very often that she actually got to go out and act her age.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

While Alex was engaged in a particularly rousing game of peek-a-boo with Scarlet on the floor, there was a knock at the door. Liz got up off the couch and went to answer it, hoping it wasn’t Sean or Leanna or anyone else she might feel compelled to chew out. Luckily, it was just Maria. “Hey,” she said, happy to see her friend there.

“Hey,” Maria returned, stepping inside. She looked at Alex and Scarlet and quietly remarked, “How cozy.”

“Oh, stop,” Liz said. It was all so platonic on so many levels.

“Hey, Maria,” Alex greeted.

“Hey, Alex.”

“How you been?”

“Good. You?”

Alex smiled tightly and said, “I’ve been better,” then refocused his attention on Scarlet as she tried to grab at his nose.

Maria cringed, whispering, “Oops.”

“It’s fine,” Liz assured her. “What’s up?”

“Nothing much.” Maria just stood there for a few seconds, and Liz kept expecting her to say something. Clearly there had to be some reason for dropping by. Finally, she spilled. “Okay, I was kinda hoping I could get you to come out with me tonight.”

“Like a girl’s night?” Liz asked hopefully.

“Not really. Max and I are gonna go out and meet up with . . . you know, everyone.”

“Everyone,” Liz echoed. “As in . . .”

“Sarah and Michael and Tess and Kyle.”

“Huh.” They were really starting to become a group, weren’t they? She was aware that she was very much on the fringe of it, but she and Sarah got along great, and she liked the thought of being able to be there for Max just in case . . . just in case. But it was still a little too short notice. “I don’t think I can,” she said. “I mean, who would I find to watch Scarlet?”

“Me,” Alex piped up quickly. “I am her godfather, after all.”

“Yeah, but you’re . . .” She trailed off, not wanting to sound mean. Alex was going through something, though, something major. He probably needed a night off of everything to just think.

“I’m happy to watch her,” he insisted. “Seriously. Go. We’ll be fine.”

Well . . . she thought, her resistance crumbling. She liked being able to go out on weekends and have a good time. Besides, there was always the potential of meeting someone. “Okay,” she said to Maria. “Looks like I’ll have to find something to wear.”

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

The line to get into The Cave was long that night, longer than Maria had anticipated it would be. And by the time she and Max finally got to the front of it, she couldn’t find her student I.D., so everyone behind them started to get annoyed and impatient with her, and eventually she just gave up trying to find it and paid to get inside instead.

They entered on the nightclub side, and it definitely looked busy, but at least people weren’t crammed in their like sardines. The other half was more of a bar and restaurant, and there were plenty of people mingling in there. There was a bar in this half, too, though, which was great, because Maria definitely felt like she was going to need a drink. Waiting in that line had aggravated the hell out of her.

“You guys made it!” Like a little Labrador retriever puppy, Sarah bounded off the dance floor towards them, pulling Michael behind her. “Hey!” she exclaimed, giving Maria a hug.

“Hey,” Maria said. She searched around frantically for Liz. Where was she? Just like Sarah and Michael were Kyle’s reinforcements, Liz was hers.

“Did you have to wait a long time?” Sarah asked.

Forever,” Maria emphasized. “Did you?”

“No. The bouncer has a crush on Michael, so we got in quick.”

Maria cast a curious glance at Michael, and he just shrugged.

“You guys look . . . you look great,” Maria told them, and she meant it. Sarah had on this beautiful beige sweater dress, long-sleeved, cinched around her waist with a gold belt. Even though she was short, it was high-cut enough to make her legs look long, but not so high-cut that it looked vulgar. And Michael . . . well, he was just wearing jeans and a black t-shirt, but it was a tighter t-shirt than he normally wore, so it looked . . . really good.

“Thanks,” Sarah said. “I love your outfit, too.”

“Oh, thanks.” She was suddenly feeling very self-conscious about it. She’d worn dark blue jeans—the only pair of jeans she had that didn’t look like they’d come from a thrift store—and a loose-fitting black tunic top that had the word Love scrawled across it in metallic gold lettering. It had seemed cute enough in the mirror, but being here now and comparing it to Sarah’s, she just felt like she looked like a high school girl. Sarah actually looked like a grown woman.

Why am I always comparing myself to her? she wondered, highly doubting that Sarah did the same thing.

An awkward silence descended upon the four of them until the song changed and Sarah said, “Well, I think we’re gonna go dance some more. But that’s our table over there where Tess and Kyle are sitting, so feel free to join.”

“Okay.”

Sarah grabbed Michael’s hand again, and he pretended to be all reluctant and groaned as she pulled him back out onto the dance floor, but it was obvious he didn’t really need to be persuaded.

“I think I’m gonna get something to drink,” Max announced.

“Really?” A trace of alarm shot through her, and she wasn’t sure why. Max had never had an alcohol problem, but he’d made it a point to stay away from anything and everything that had addictive properties.

“Just club soda,” he said. “You want anything?”

“Oh . . . I could probably use a beer.”

“Alright, I’ll go get you one.” He gave her a kiss on the cheek, then slipped off into the crowd.

Maria sighed, standing by herself now. She checked her phone to see if Liz had called or texted, but nope, nothing. Maybe she wasn’t coming tonight after all. Maybe Scarlet had gotten sick or something, or maybe Alex’s plan to babysit had fallen through. Maria wasn’t sure where her friend was, but she was absolutely positive she’d feel more at ease with her there.

Since she didn’t really know anyone else, she had no choice but to go to the table where Tess and Kyle were sitting. Right as she was approaching, though, Tess saw her, rolled her eyes, and got up and walked away.

Maria stopped in her tracks. What the hell am I doing here?

Kyle looked over his shoulder at her, got up, and said, “Hey, Maria.” But that was all he said before he slowly hobbled after Tess. No cane or crutches or anything tonight, though. He was making progress.

This was a mistake, Maria thought, feeling very out of place as she took a seat in the booth Kyle and Tess had just abandoned. What on earth had ever made her think that coming here was a good idea, that the night would be anything more than awkward? There was a reason she spent so many weekends at home: It was just easier.

She looked down at her outfit again, pissed at herself for not at least wearing a cute dress. So what if it was practically winter? Tess was defying the weather. She had on this wispy pink and white floral print gown that was longer than the back than it was in the front. She looked like a model in a magazine, and of course wasn’t even showing yet, not in the slightest.

Looking out onto the dance floor, she couldn’t see much of Michael, except for his spiky hair as his head bobbed slightly out of time with the music. But she saw Sarah’s hair and arms flying all about him. Every once in a while she’d come close enough to the edge of the floor, and Maria could see her better. She looked so comfortable with her body, and so at ease out there, like she wasn’t worried about anything in the world. And Maria felt envious, because she couldn’t even remember the last time she’d felt that way.

“I’m here, I’m here.”

Breathing a sigh of relief when Liz came to the table and sat down, Maria tore her eyes away from the dance floor. “Thank God,” she said dramatically.

“Wow, this place looks different,” Liz said, looking around.

“You’ve been here?”

“Yeah, back when I was dating Sean.” She made a face.

“It has been a while then.”

“Yep.” She reached into her purse, took out a tube of lipstick, and reapplied a little to her lips. “How do I look?” she asked.

“Great,” Maria told her. “See, you were smart. You wore a dress.”

“Actually, it’s a skirt,” Liz said.

“Well, whatever it is, it’s cute.” It was a pink floral pattern like Tess’s dress was, but the background was black, and she’d paired it with a long-sleeved black top that, upon closer inspection, actually showed a little bit of her upper midriff.

“You look cute, too,” Liz complimented.

Maria shook her head. “I don’t think so.” She didn’t look bad. But Sarah looked better.

“Oh, no,” Liz said. “Are you down in the dumps? I hate when you get like this.”

“I can’t help it. I’m having prom flashbacks here.”

“Prom?” Liz echoed.

“Yeah. I thought that was gonna be a great night, too, but it turned out to be horrible.” Fucking Ryan What’s-His-Name had been such an ass to her that night, and she’d ended up going home and puking her guts out and panicking that she might be pregnant.

“Tonight is not gonna be horrible,” Liz said, maintaining a positive outlook. “Hey, at least you’re here with your boyfriend. I’m totally third-wheeling it.” She looked around and asked, “Where is Max anyway?”

Maria motioned behind herself to the bar. “Tess and Kyle are around here somewhere, too.”

“No Isabel, right?”

“God, I hope not.”

Liz laughed. “Are Michael and Sarah here?”

“Yep.” She cast a sideways glance out at the dance floor again, getting a better view of them now. Michael wasn’t doing much more than just standing there, but Sarah was like the star attraction out there. A lot of people were watching her, but she was only watching him.

“God,” Maria groaned. “Of course she’s an amazing dancer, too.”

Liz gave her a serious look. “Are you jealous?” she asked.

“No.”

Liz narrowed her eyes skeptically.

“No,” Maria insisted, “it’s just that . . . she’s so good at everything.” Her grades, her cooking, her dancing . . . she was a jack of all trades, this girl. “I mean, I’ve seriously never met anyone who’s literally good at every single thing she does. Until Sarah.”

“So you’re jealous,” Liz confirmed.

“No, I just . . .” She trailed off, regretting how horrendously jealous she sounded. “I used to think Isabel—like pre-pornography Isabel—was the smartest, prettiest girl out there, but apparently not.” She was astounded that Michael kept getting girls like this. Clearly he was a great-looking guy himself and smarter than anyone had ever given him credit for, but . . . holy shit, his girlfriend was, like, perfect.

“I like Sarah,” Liz declared. “But there’s no way I’m gonna compare myself to her, ‘cause I know I’d come up short.”

“No, you’ve got a lot going for you, Liz,” Maria assured her.

“Everything except the one thing that matters.” Liz’s eyes glazed over for a moment, and she sounded sad when she murmured, “Love.”

“Hmm, I wouldn’t be too sure about that.”

Liz furrowed her brow curiously. “What do you mean?”

Maria shrugged exaggeratedly. “I don’t know. It just seems like now that Leanna’s out of the picture . . .”

“Oh god, no,” Liz cut her off quickly. “No, Maria, that’s not happening.”

“Why not?” It seemed so obvious. She knew Liz was tired of playing the dating scene and really wanted to settle down, and who better to settle down with than her daughter’s godfather?

“Alex is my best friend,” Liz said. “No offense.”

“None taken. I just always assumed that if the opportunity ever presented itself and you were single and he was single at the same time . . .”

Liz shook her head adamantly. “No.”

“But you guys dated before.”

“And broke up before. Our chemistry is so much better as friends.”

“Are you sure?”

“Yes.”

Maria sighed, figuring she’d have to work a little harder to steer her friend in that direction. She’d save it for another night. Maybe once Alex and Leanna actually got divorced, Liz would open up her eyes to the possibility. So what if they were just friends right now? So what if they’d already tried a relationship and broken up? That didn’t necessarily mean it was the end for them. Maybe it was just the beginning.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Kyle stood outside the women’s restroom, waiting impatiently. Tess had been in there for about ten minutes now, and he wasn’t sure why. Maybe she didn’t feel well. Or maybe she was just pissed. She’d been in a bad mood the entire night so far.

He knocked on the door and called her name. “Tess?”

He heard the sink run for a few seconds, and then she came out, sliding past him. “Sorry,” she muttered.

“You alright?”

“Yeah, I’m just . . . hormonal right now, and it doesn’t take much to set me off,” she growled. “And when I saw that Maria was here . . . well, that didn’t particularly thrill me. And then I thought, ‘Hey, I’ll just go get something to drink.’ Except I can’t drink, because I’m pregnant. I’m at a nightclub, and I’m pregnant. Great idea, Kyle.”

He took her snippiness in stride and didn’t bother pointing out that she wouldn’t be able to drink even if she wasn’t pregnant, because she was only twenty years old.

“I’m sorry,” she apologized quickly. “I don’t mean to be a bitch. I know you wanted to have fun tonight.”

“So let’s dance,” he suggested. Michael and Sarah were all over that dance floor. Why couldn’t he and Tess join them?

“I don’t know,” she mumbled.

“Oh, come on, you love to dance,” he reminded her. God, he used to love watching her perform in her little cheerleading uniform, from and center of the formation, big smile on her face.

“But you can’t dance,” she protested.

“I got some rhythm,” he insisted. “I can hold my own.”

“No, I mean . . .” She looked down at his legs and repeated, “You can’t dance.”

That . . . was like a punch to the gut. But hell, he was here and he was walking around, wasn’t he? It was a start. “I can try,” he said.

She blinked back tears and shook her head. “I think I just wanna go home,” she said.

“Tess . . .” No. He was really trying.

She wouldn’t listen to him, though. Wiping away tears as they fell, she turned and walked away from him, headed back to their table, and from there, probably straight to the exit.

Damn, he thought, exhaling heavily, feeling defeated. So much for reconnecting.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Michael was starting to sweat. All this dancing, as fun as it was, was exhausting. And he wasn’t even doing a whole lot. There was no stopping his girlfriend, though. It was like every inch of her body just resonated with the beat and moved in time with it.

( 8) )

“This is so fun!” she exclaimed as the song changed. “We should come here more often.”

“Yeah,” he agreed. Hell, he had no problem with that idea. The more often he was able to watch his girl dance, the better.

“I’m gonna go to the bathroom real quick,” she said, standing on tiptoe to give him a kiss on the cheek. “Keep dancing.”

“Oh, I will,” he said, halfheartedly swaying from side to side as she slinked off the floor. But once she was gone, he stopped, because it wasn’t much fun without her. He caught sight of Kyle slinking towards the exit and figured that wasn’t a good sign. Maybe he and Sarah were the only ones having fun tonight.

He scanned the club for Maria then, but he saw Max first. Max . . . and Liz. Sitting in a booth together, talking. He said something that made her laugh, which Michael personally didn’t understand, because the bastard wasn’t even funny.

If they were there . . . then where was Maria?

His eyes swung towards the bar, and there she was, sitting on a stool by herself, her back towards him. He watched her bring a small shot glass of something up to her mouth, and he couldn’t resist going over to talk to her.

He got the bartender’s attention right away and requested, “Beer,” as he leaned against the counter. He glanced down at Maria, but she seemed determined not to look up at him. She sort of had that same expression on her face that Kyle had been showcasing all night: the disappointed kind.

“You look nice,” he told her as the bartender handed him his bottle. He was digging the tight jeans on her.

It took her a minute, but finally, she cast a quick sideways glance at him and said, “Thanks.”

He took a drink and peered through the darkened room to locate Liz and Max again. Neither one of them seemed to notice that he was talking to Maria, so he continued. “What’re you drinkin’?”

“Nothing,” she replied flippantly, yelping, “Hey!” when he reached over and grabbed the glass from her.

He took a sip, recognizing the taste immediately. “Vodka?” he said, thoroughly impressed. “Wow, check you out. Knockin’ ‘em back.”

“This is my first one,” she said.

“Hey, I don’t blame you. If I was here with Max, I’d dive into the hard liquor, too.”

She shot him an irritated look and rolled her eyes. “You’re so annoying.”

He smirked and debated whether or not to back off or just rub a little salt in the wound. Honestly, even though he didn’t want to piss her off, any chance to make Max look bad in her eyes was a chance he had to take. “So are you okay with that?” he asked, motioning towards Max and Liz. “Sharing your boyfriend with another girl?”

She looked to her right, watched them for a few seconds, then snapped her head back towards him and snarled, “I don’t share him.”

“Looks like you do.” He shrugged and took another drink.

“Liz is my best friend,” she said. “And she and Max are friends, too.”

“Yeah, I see that.”

“They’ll always have a connection.”

“Yeah, named Scarlet.”

“I’m fine with them being close,” she said, knowing that neither one of them would ever do anything to hurt her. “In fact, I’m glad they are. Scarlet deserves to have both her parents in her life. I wouldn’t have it any other way.”

“You might just wanna monitor how close they are,” he suggested. Hell, he didn’t know if there was anything going on there or not. All he knew was that Liz used to smile like that when he was flirting with her, way back in the day.

“Would you stop?” she snapped. “Stop trying to instigate trouble. It’s not gonna work.”

“Whatever,” he mumbled. “Well, if you don’t wanna get drunk, you should get somethin’ to eat. Or go dance or something.”

She shook her head. “Max doesn’t know how to dance.”

Big fucking surprise. “Neither do I,” he pointed out. “That’s why I just do pimp style.”

“Pimp style?” she echoed skeptically.

“Yeah. I just stand there and look cool, and Sarah dances all around me. It’s genius.”

“Well, Sarah’s a good dancer,” she said, “which I pretty much figured she would be.”

He narrowed his eyes, wanting to ask her what she meant by that, but then he saw Sarah emerge from the bathroom and look out onto the dance floor, trying to find him. He downed half of what was left of his beer, setting the bottle down in front of her so she could finish it off if she wanted to. “Eat something,” he advised. Whatever she was pissed about, he really didn’t want to see her get drunk over it.

“Michael,” she said as he started to walk away.

He stopped and turned back to her.

“Do you really think I look nice?” she asked quietly. She seemed hesitant to pose the question but almost desperate to hear his answer to it.

Instinctively, his eyes roamed up and down her, appreciating every inch. Nice didn’t even really cover it. He’d always think she was beautiful. “I really do,” he replied, grinning at her before slipping away to go dance with Sarah again.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Don’t be an idiot, Maria told herself. God. She didn’t want to react to that, but against her wishes, her heartbeat literally . . . sped up.

She watched Sarah throw herself into Michael’s arms out on the dance floor. They kissed exaggeratedly for a second, and then Sarah’s hips were moving from side to side again, and Michael’s hands were on them, his head bent towards her, eyes focused on her face and nowhere else. When she turned around, he wrapped his arms around her midsection and pulled her in close, his hips pressing against her, but not in a vulgar, grinding sort of way. She tossed her head back against his shoulder, a blissful smile on her face.

Maria spun back around on her stool, trying to focus on the drinks in front of her. But it was almost impossible now.

He thought she looked nice. Max had told her that exact same thing before they’d left the house, and she hadn’t believed him. But when Michael said it . . . she believed every word.

TBC . . .

-April