Odd One Out (M/L CC Teen) Chapter 3 & 4(3/27/24)

Fics using the characters from Roswell, but where the plot does not have anything to do with aliens, nor are any of the characters "not of this Earth."

Moderators: Anniepoo98, Rowedog, ISLANDGIRL5, Itzstacie, truelovepooh, FSU/MSW-94, Erina, Hunter, Forum Moderators

LovelyPOM83
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Odd One Out (M/L CC Teen) Chapter 3 & 4(3/27/24)

Post by LovelyPOM83 »

Authors Note: Hi all readers and lurkers, I started writing this year's ago...this isn't supposed to be a long fiction. But I do plan on finishing my story. Hope you all enjoyed it.

Image by RosDude

Title: Odd One Out
Disclaimer: I owe nothing.
it's just being used in plain fun.

Rating: Teen
Category: AU without Aliens M/L & CC pairing
Author: POM aka lovelypom83

Summary:

Liz Parker grew up with and is best friends with four guys....Max,Michael,Kyle and Alex.

She loves her boys dearly and they are more like big brothers to her than friends.But having said that to be honest they are without a doubt slowly driving her insane!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Chapter One: Just another Friday night

"Eddie, I had an amazing time. I never knew that art could be so fun." Liz beamed with a bright smile, that she tried to hide but failed miserably. She really tried not to get ahead of herself, but still she couldn't help but think he could be the one. The one, that seems so permanent. She started to think, could she love someone that long? It was hard to imagine. But then again this could be more lust than fact because this was only the third date.

"Liz, I must admit. I was surprised you called the last time we went out you were hesitate about going out again. I got to ask, what made you change your mind?" Liz stood there in awkward silence, not really knowing what to say.

" Ahh...just a change of heart." Liz smiled as she knew from the sparkle glimmering in his eyes, she had a feeling at that very moment. She had his wrapped around her little finger. She relished in the fact.

"Oh, is that so?" He smirked and reached to brush a stran of hair that had fallen loose from the bun that was neatly placed on her head.

"Maybe we can do this again, sometime?" Eddie inquired with a cocky smirk. While all Liz could do was blush, and started to fidget.

Liz nodded with crimson colored cheeks, she forced her lips to work--since all she felt was numb.

"Yeah, that sounds nice." she wrapped her arms around his broad shoulders, and reached up on tip toes and kissed him. She slightly moaned because it mainly felt so good, before things could really get slightly intense, they were jumping apart.

"Max?!!" Liz shouted as her glare on him went from shocked to beyond pissed off in a split second. She shoved Max hard in the chest, causing him to step back a few steps back into her apartment.

"What the hell are you doing here?" Liz demanded in a fierce hushed tone.

"Liz, do you know this guy?" Eddie looked over her shoulder and gave Max a questionable glare, like something fishy was going on.

Liz was quiet for a moment, she was standing in between this two guys. Turning around to Eddie with almost as silent plea gleaming in her eyes to stay, and just let her sort this out. On the other hand, Max took this opportunity to take matters into his own hands.

Just as Max was about to talk, Liz realized something and swore under her breath.

"Max, where the hell are your pants?!" he ignored her and kept his eyes on his mission.

"Sorry, Lizzie has forgotten her manners." Max said introducing himself to Eddie.

"I'm Max, Lizzie's 'Close' friend." Liz pushed Max out of the way, Eddie looked confused. There was no way she was going to let Max ruin this potential relationship.

Liz opened her mouth to say something, but she heard more voices coming from her apartment.

"Hey Max, What's the hold up? " Liz was mortified, this couldn't be happening.

There stood the rest of the boys eager to see what was going on, in a single file line--there was Alex, Michael, and Kyle.

"Oh good God! Where the hell are everyone's pants!!?" Liz shouted.

"Hey who's this?" Michael stood starring at the man that had his eyes locked on Liz, Their Liz.

"Michael, leave him alone." Liz muttered under her breath, trying to control her anger. So, Max answered for her.

"Oh, this is Lizzie's friend. Sorry, I didn't catch your name..." All the boys stood there in there boxers, arms crossed and guarding Liz from this new male.

"Edward".

"Ah, yes...well Edward we were just taking bets on who was going to win this evenings game. The Broncos or the Cowboys--did you want to join in? Alex asked, curiously. The more bets they had, meant more money--Alex and Kyle were thinking on a strategy level, to reel this sucker in.

"What quarter?" Eddie asked, with an eager smirk that consumed his face.

"Actually, it's half time--and the cowboys are in the lead 28 to 16, but you never know how the game will change once they come back." Kyle answered, he was in his area of expertise.

"I'll put one hundred on the Broncos that they win." Eddie answered back in the same excitement.

"You're on!" Kyle shouted , as the guys slapped him on the back, and they all went back into the
apartment with Edward in toe. Leaving a very pissed, lonely Liz in the hallway by herself.

"We're on in five minutes, let's go." She knew in that moment, she knew she'd lost him.

"Hello?! Am I indivisible?" Liz huffed as the boys, including her date had started to raid the fridge.

Even Eddie was stripped down in his boxers, what did that take? All of two seconds, Why do guys watch sports in their underwear?

"Excuse me, Eddie? What about our date?" He didn't even glance away from the television screen, so focused on the game, he did eventually answer.

"Well, it was technically over, wasn't it?" Liz was so beyond pissed...words couldn't form, She nodded furiously. She tried her best to sound calm, but couldn't help it..she hated rejection. At this point she hated Eddie, regardless of what she had thought of him fifteen minutes ago. That was all gone. He fucked up.

"Get out of my house! Get out!" Liz shouted and all the boys stopped their fixation on the t.v. and knew that they had pushed her to her too far.

"But Liz, things are just getting good." Liz closed her eyes and just replied.

"Kyle, be quiet...Now!" He stopped talking and sat back down.

"Eddie, you are not welcome--leave my house NOW!" She swiftly walked to the door and opened it waiting for him to exit.

He collected his shoes and draped his brown khaki pants over his arm and left the apartment, leaving Liz to slam the door behind him.

With a stern look, but tears in her eyes--she said nothing as she almost ran to her room, and slammed the door shut. Michael was used to her dramatic scenes, he paid no attention and turned the game back on--Alex followed suit.

Liz sunk onto the floor and shouted into the air in frustration, "I'm never going to get laid!" The one thing Liz didn't see was the way Max was looking after her as she stormed out of the room with sympathetic eyes.

TBC...

Chapter two: In the Past

*Flashback*

"Michael!!" Liz shouted as she tried to pry him off the boy that kept pulling her hair during their elective class. Michael was too strong for her, even though she was nearly 13 years old, she looked towards Max for help but he was busy cheering Michael on.

"Go Mike! Get him!" Max and Kyle screamed out.

"What is she your girlfriend? Is that why you're protecting her?" Michael punched Troy over and over again until a teacher pulled them off each other.

"Boys! That is enough, Mr. Guerin that is Enough!" Mrs. Johnson struggled a bit, but finally pried them apart.

"Awe, I almost had him!" Troy shouted with disappointment, even though he was the one with the bloody nose. Michael only had a few bruises and a fat lip.

"The only person you boys are going to see is the principal, so if you want to finish it there--go ahead." Mrs. Johnson pulled them both to the main office.

"Max, I called you because you were suppose to stop him! Not cheer him on, we all know how his Dad gets when he gets into trouble." Clearly upset and irritated Liz huffed, and she was glad school was over.

Max didn't know what to say at first, but Kyle stopped him and padded him on the back with a grim look on his face. They both ran to keep up with Liz, " Hey Liz, I'm sorry." It was the only thing he could say. Which got no reaction from Liz, she just kept walking at a fast speed.

"What did I miss?" Alex asked as he caught up with Liz. She didn't want to deal with these boys right now.

"Ask Max, I'm going home." Liz rolled her eyes, heaved her heaving backpack and ran to her moms car. Which was parked out in front of the school.

"What's her deal?" Alex looked confused.

"Hormones" Max bluntly said. All the boys rolled their eyes, they all knew from their sex education class.

"Max, what do you know about girls hormones?" Kyle asked curiously.

"My older sister Pam, she has raging hormones." He sighed and shook his head.

"That's why we feel sorry for you." Kyle started to laugh as he padded Max on the back, and Alex followed suit. As they started to walk home.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Later that night...)

"Liz?" Michael knocked on her window quietly, making sure not to wake up her parents.

He saw her start to stir, and look towards the window. "Michael?" Liz tried her best to rub the sleep from her eyes, glancing at the clock which read 3 am. Quickly getting out of bed and unlocking the window, a rush of cool air spun through the room.

"Can I stay here tonight? My Dads in one of those moods again." Liz nodded and smiled sadly.
Getting the spare sleeping bag out of her closet, and handed it to him. He carefully laid it out besides her own bed, she tossed him a pillow. They both got situated and laid back down.

"Mike, thank you for defending me today." Liz's voice was meek, but still he heard her.

"It was nothing, no biggie--you're practically my sister." Liz giggled, at that fact.

"Well, we are cousins Mike. We're family, we're suppose to have each other's back." Liz knew Michael heard him, but she knew he didn't want to talk any further. He was a boy, boys didn't like talking about their feelings. But she really was grateful they always had each other's backs.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Present day)

Liz woke up in a cold sweat, she looked at the clock...it read 12:30 am. She cursed, she'd only been asleep for 2 hours. Feeling the dryness of her throat, she got her robe and started to head toward the kitchen. She stopped in her tracks, there was Max in her kitchen emptying her dishwasher.

"Max, you're still here?" he spun around, not expecting anyone to find him.

"Um yeah, Mike and I felt sorry for barging in on you. I volunteered to clean up, Mike wanted to help but he has an early shift tomorrow--so I hope you accept this apology." He looked at Liz, tried to read the expression on her face.

"It's not like this is the first time you've guys done this, I always accept your apology. No matter how bone headed all you boys are." she rolled her eyes and Max's smile. She reached into the fridge and retrieved a pitcher of cold water, to quench her thirst.

There was a moment of awkward silence before Max tried to clear the air, "Eddie seemed like a cool guy, when are you guys going out again?" Liz looked confused.

"So, you're now interested in my love life? Oh, wait...I don't have one--because you guys ruined my date." Liz just stood there next to Max, arms crossed--waiting to hear what he had to say about that fact.

"Yes, but if he really wanted to be with you, he would have blown off Kyle and Alex and just been with you. That says something about his character. His loss, and you can do better Lizzie. " Liz half blushed in realization because she knew he was right. She was just too blind to see it and she really wanted him to mold into the perfect guy, tired of waiting.

"Thanks Max...you're sweet. You always know what to say to make me see what's right in front of me. I don't know what I'd do without you." She turned toward him, and she embraced him. She had no idea why his embrace has always calmed her nerves, even as a child--she never could put her finger on it. But he was definitely her best friend by far.

They pulled apart, "So, are you done? Cleaning?" Liz laughed as Max put the pitcher of water back in the fridge.

" You know you can stay in the guest room, on one circumstance..." Liz's eyes gleamed and she smiled.

"Let me guess, I'd have to make you breakfast?" Max sighed as he knew that Liz had him wrapped around her little finger, and secretly he liked it like that.

"French toast or Pancakes?"

"Surprise me." Liz beamed, as she kissed him on the cheek and bid him a good night.

Liz's door closed and Max went into the semi spacious guest room, laid on the bed and sighed. She would be the death of him, if she didn't know by now that he's loved her since, forever--he didn't know when or how to tell her.

TBC...
Last edited by LovelyPOM83 on Wed Mar 27, 2024 2:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.
keepsmiling7
Roswell Fanatic

Re: Odd one out (repost) M/L & CC Chapter 1 & 2

Post by keepsmiling7 »

This is a cute story......can't wait for more.
DestinyDreamer
Addicted Roswellian

Post by DestinyDreamer »

Too cute. I like the relationships Liz has with all the guys. Great start! Please keep posting!!
please also check me out at fanfiction.net I go by the name twilighteyes85 there!
https://www.fanfiction.net/~twilighteyes85
Long 76
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by Long 76 »

DestinyDreamer wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 10:13 pm Too cute. I like the relationships Liz has with all the guys. Great start! Please keep posting!!

I agree with Destinydreamer like the relationship Liz has with all the guys. Love the start of the story. Please do keep posting more to this story? I'm really hoping that Max will tell Liz how he feels about her. I'm also hoping Liz feels the same way about Max. Max and Liz so need to get together really soon. So please come back and post more really soon?

Long 76
LovelyPOM83
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Re: Odd one out- M/L & CC Chapter 3 *New* 3/27/24

Post by LovelyPOM83 »

Thank you for the feedback :!:
I'm planning on finishing this story. Thank you for everyone that likes and enjoys reading this story.
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Chapter 3: Boys night out

"Thank you for breakfast Max, you really out did yourself this time..." Liz was finishing up her cup of coffee while Max was starting to clean the dishes. He had made his famous chocolate chip waffles and blueberry pancakes with over easy eggs. Which he also made: bacon, sausage, orange juice, hazelnut coffee, and toast. It was to die for, he was really a wonderful cook--totally missed his calling.

"Well, you told me to surprise you." Liz smiled at that, but she didn't expect him to go this elaborate with the act of making breakfast.

"I thought you said you had a class this morning?" Liz asked Max, trying not to talk with her mouth full.

"Yeah it got cancelled." Liz looked at him as he continued to clean up.

"You know I'm only a few months away from getting my teaching credentials, but the only thing I have to decide is whether to teach at the Elementary level or High School level." Max said with a little uncertainty laced in his voice Max confessed.

" I thought you decided to be a High School teacher, but then again there is nothing wrong with teaching young minds." Liz said as she made her way to the kitchen, to clean her dishes.

"That's the thing, the closer I get to graduating...it's getting harder to decide." Liz could understand that she was after all going to school to get her BA in Business, in hopes of one day taking over the diner from her father when he planned to retire.

"Why not teach middle school students, you would still get to mold them and encourage them before they start the last four years before taking the plunge into college. You as the teacher can encourage them in so many ways." Max stopped what he was doing and looked at Liz in awe, because he'd never thought of that.

"See that's why you're my best friend, you always make me see things in a new light." He gave her a hug.

Liz smiled, "Always happy to help out."

Max could tell that there was something weighing on her mind, "what's wrong?"

She tried to hide her emotion, she hated that he always saw right through her..."Nothing is wrong, I'm just worried about a little situation that hasn't happened yet." She anxiously started popping her knuckles.

Max grabbed her hands wrapped them in his own, "What's worrying you Liz?" She sighed heavily.

"My mom called this morning, Michael's dad is back in town. They haven't spoken since he was 14 yrs old, I know he's older now and more than capable of handling things on his own. I know I'm suppose to love my Uncle--I grew up with him, but ever since Aunt Linda died--he just has not been the same." She tried her best to hold back tears that were threatening to spill out. One got away, and Max brushed it away.

"Well, I know that you're Aunt passed when you were about 7 years old, and Mike was only a year older than you. I know he was scared of showing emotion at the service, but I never knew about his dads drinking habits until we were in our senior year of high school. Mike ran into him on the streets and he didn't even recognize his own son. He reeked of alcohol and Mike paid no attention to him, but I knew it hurt." Liz pulled out of his embrace and looked at him in awe, because him and Mike were best of friends. She would think that he'd give him a little insight into his life. But then again they were guys, and guys didn't talk about their feelings.

"The only time I knew that things were really bad with your Uncle is when child protective services were called on him, and they took Mike for those couple of months and put him in foster care--that was a hard time, not only for us as a group of friends...but for your family as well." Liz sat back down, next to Max...but not touching. So, with all these years...Max never knew. None of them did, only Liz--because she was family.

"My parents wanted to take him, but my uncle didn't sign the papers saying that my parents can legally take Michael in until he got some kind of help. My parents tried several times, but he kept saying that my mom and dad were going to brain wash him into thinking he was a no good bum. Saying that there was no way in hell, they were going to get a hold of him without his consent." With this new information Max was dumb founded, almost 15 some odd years later...and he never knew that this was going on behind the Parker residence.

This was probably why, whenever he'd come over and ask if Liz could come out and play...her parents wouldn't even open the door. He could always hear bickering, but he never understood until now.

"I'm sorry Liz, he never told me...he never told me any of this. Maybe that's why he always keeps anyone who tries to get close to him at a distance...he can't trust them." Max looked doubtful, as Liz looked frustrated that her cousin would keep this to himself the entire time. A burden this heavy, could weigh a person down, she was surprised that it hasn't happened yet. YET!

"If you want I can talk to him, not about me finding out about his past, but about his dad...and his wanting to see him." Liz half smiled, grateful that she had someone in her life that was as sweet as Max was.

"Thanks. Just tell him to call my mom for the details..."

"No problem, but look...I gotta run, I promised the guys that we would meet for a little male time at the gym...you know before the infamous guys night ritual." Liz rolled her eyes.

"To watch what? Hockey? Baseball? Soccer?" Liz had run out of guesses and this time Max rolled his eyes.

"Football. It's the Buccaneers vs. Colts tonight, are you game?" Liz really didn't feel like it this time, she had skipped a few nights like this before...Max always seemed to understand, but Kyle and Alex always persisted on her coming along. She didn't understand football, not as well as baseball.

"Why can't you guys ever watch anything that I want to see, like Say yes to the dress?" Max scrunched up his face with disgust. He looked like he was 5 yrs old again, and playing dress up with her. He hated it, but he'd only do it for her.

"It's good to know that if you ever cross my path and piss me off, I can tie you down and torture you, by making you watch a marathon with me. Don't think I won't Mr. Evans." Max backed off with his hands held out in defense...He knew better than to test her when she was in one of her moods.

Liz laughed, "Okay, thanks for breakfast and cleaning up, but you have to go. I have to run a couple errands for going to work for a little bit." She gave him a friendly peck on the cheek and showed him to the door.

While she was getting ready for her day, she couldn't help but let her mind wonder to when she was younger...it would had to be around her fourteenth birthday, she didn't know why but this day always stuck with her.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
( April 1997) Flashback

"Mom, when is Michael going to come back? He's been gone for a long time, why can't he come over and visit?" Liz's Mom looked sympathetic towards her, she also knew that this situation wasn't a easy time for anyone in this family. Especially, Liz knowing how close the two of them are.

"I don't know honey, there's a lot of grown up stuff that we have to sort out." Liz looked doubtful that she'd ever see Mike again, even though it's only been 6 weeks, but to a kid that was a long time. Since they were the same age pretty much, only separated by a year. They were used to seeing each other every single day.

Nancy couldn't stand to see her daughter like this, no mother liked to see their child in such a depressed mood. She was just coming of age, she was growing into a woman and she knew that the added stress of this horrible situation that no one should have to go through at such a young of age.

"Liz honey, I don't know what's going to happen in the next coming months...but I hope I can get through to my brother...and get Michael to where he'll be safe." Liz half smiled and knew that her mother meant what she said, at this point she'd promise her the stars and the moon if she'd ask.

Weeks of waiting turned into months and Liz was just as upset as the night she had said good bye to Michael when he drove off with a state official, to the uncertainness of foster care.

The boys could see a change in her mood, she seemed not all there and depressed. Max tried numerous times to cheer her up, she even had a sleep over at the Evans house with his older sister Pam to try to perk her up with a makeover.

That was a plea from Max, Pam was actually 3 years older than them--even at 16 yrs. old, she could see his affection for the budding Liz Parker. So, She half did it for him, and the other half to not have to clean the kitchen for one month. She liked Liz and was eager to talk to another girl , rather than just her mother. Boring.

It wasn't until the next morning, when Liz headed home that she walked into the dinner and saw Michael sitting on one of the bar stools enjoying a tall stack of chocolate chip pancakes.

"Mike!" Liz shouted as she dropped her bags in the entrance of the dinner and ran up to him. [Behind the new cousins stood her parents who] her parents embraced, and Nancy wiped away tears before walking in the room.

Michael and Liz embraced, "What are you doing here?" before Michael could answer... Liz's mom spoke up.

"Uncle Hank had a change of heart after a decision with your father, and he signed over guardianship to us. He's not going to leave again...we can promise that." Liz had tears in her eyes and beamed with a wide grin.

"Can we go to Max's house Mom?" Liz beamed half jumping up and down, excited to tell the other boys the news.

"Sure, just be sure to be back by dinner...okay."

"Thanks Mom, Thanks Aunt Nancy!" They were half way down the block...when Liz remembered something.

"Wait Mike, I forgot something...just go, I'll catch up." Liz ran back to the diner in full speed, and caught her mom off guard. Her dad had just gone up the steps to their apartment to put Liz's bags in her room.

Liz ran right into her mother's hip and clasped on for dear life, "Thank you Mom, thank you for not breaking your promise." She kissed her cheek and with another great big hug she was out the door.

"I cannot wait to get into a nice warm bubble bath." Liz sighed heavily as she stepped off the elevator and stared to head to her apartment. Not only did she not go to the office to clear some of her paper work for a not so heavy load tomorrow morning, but she also stopped by the diner and gave her dad a hand with the heavy dinner rush that always seemed to come in on a Sunday evening.

"Home sweet home." she announced as she unlocked the door, and just was glad she could start to relieve some of the stresses from a busy day.

"Please lord, I just want one night of relaxing...some quality quiet time." Liz was pleading that the guys would just hang out somewhere other than her place tonight.

Just as she was about to settle into her steaming hot bath, she could hear something fidgeting, but thought it was just the neighbors television or something of that nature. These walls seemed to be paper thin at times.

She shook it off, and thought nothing of it...stepping into the water and letting it flow around her body and relieve the minor aches in her lower back. Just as she was going to sink into the deep oasis, the door to the bathroom swung open, startling Liz.

"Ahhh!!" Liz screamed as she quickly tried to cover herself, but failed miserably.
But it wasn't before Max was taking in her very nude body, and it was a few seconds before reality sunk in and realized this was really happening.

"What the hell...Max!" He looked dumb founded but still his eyes were glued on her as she tried frantically to cover herself.

" Do you mind? Stop looking!!" Liz shouted as Max realized what he was doing...snapped back into his body and spun around, to finally give her the privacy she needed to properly cover herself.

"What the fuck are you doing here? In my bathroom? I thought it was guys night?"Liz was beyond pissed.

"Um...we were waiting for you, and when you didn't show, they sent me to find you." Max nervously shoved his hands in his pockets, afraid of what to do with his fidgeting hands. But still tried to act nonchalant, like nothing had happened. Like he just had not seen his dream girl stark naked.

"Damn it! I can't have one moment to myself, one moment of peace! I'm so embarrassed...Why couldn't have knocked? This isn't your house you know." She half yelled at Max, and the other was to herself--because it didn't seem like anything she'd done or said...but it always went in one ear and out the other with these boys that have been her ball and chain all these years.

Liz frantically rushed around her apartment as she got ready, for what she wore was the last 'guys' night that she'd have to be forced to attend.

Max on the other hand, felt bad. He didn't want to make her do anything, she didn't want to do.

"You know it's okay, I can just tell the guys that you aren't feeling well, and that you couldn't make it." Liz stopped in her tracks and knowingly smiled at him. but his back was still facing her, he couldn't see her.

"That's sweet, but you know just as well as I do that they will only come and check up on me." She paused before spraying a couple sprites of body spray, looked in the mirror and was fine with the outlook.

"How'd you get into here anyway?" Liz didn't remember giving him a key, or having a spare outside the apartment.

"Mike." And that was all he had to say, they both knew he'd be in for it tonight.

"Right, well remind me to thank him later on..." Liz smiled a evil grin, they were practically brother and sister having grown up in the same house. Max just simply nodded.

"Okay, ready to go..." Max turned around and tried to hide the big goofy grin that emerged on his face when he saw her. It was so bright with every emotion whenever he looked at her. Everyone pretty much saw this except for Liz herself, go figure and Max had yet to muster up the courage and go the extra mile and just tell her already.

Liz stopped just before she closed the door, and turned towards him.

"If you ever speak one word about what you saw tonight, to anyone--you'll be very, very sorry." She said in a low sexy menacing voice. It sent chills down his spine, and he got slightly aroused by it.

But he held up his hands in surrender, "I promise."

"Thank you." Liz sighed as she locked the door, before walking away from her apartment with Max; her last thought was of setting these guys up without them expecting it.

TBC...

Chapter 4: Drinks & Boys on the side

"Parker?" Liz looked up from the latest fifty shades of grey novel that she was so enthralled with, and noticed a face that she hasn't seen since her high school graduation.

"De Luca?" the two women beamed as Liz practically jumped from her seat and they hugged, it's had been almost 5 yrs since they had last seen one another.

"Hey how are you Maria?" Liz couldn't help but notice how mature and grown up she looked, her hair was longer than she remembered and definitely more blonde. But she also remembered that this woman was fearless and loved to take chances.

"I'm good, I'm visiting for a few months. I'm sort of in between career fields at the moment, so I decided to visit the family. It will give me time to think about where I want my next path to take me." She beamed as the two women sat down finally.

"I'm surprised Alex didn't tell me you were in town, usually he can't keep a secret from anyone." Liz giggled and Maria followed suit.

"He actually doesn't know. It was a spare of the moment thing."

"I'm sorry I never really kept in touch Maria, I tried calling a few times...left messages, but I could have reached out more." Liz felt bad, because they had once been best friends and she'd let that slip through her fingers.

"It's okay, I could have done more to keep in touch with you...but I didn't. I was too busy trying to become the next great actress that I forgot about this little town. We are both to blame, but we can start over can't we?" Liz beamed, grateful that she was so understanding. It was true, they were both at fault for not keeping up with one another. She was happy to fix this broken relationship.

"You know I'm actually suppose to go get drinks with him and the boys tonight. If you can make it I'm sure Alex and the guys would love to catch up with you. If you're up for it, that is...it's okay if you can't." Maria smiled.

"That's right...the guys...how are they?" Maria questioned, not all that shocked that they still were thicker than glue...from the stories that Kyle has somewhat told her over the years.

"They are closer than I would like them to be, they are so protective of me. You'd swear that they were my brothers or something." Liz was frustrated beyond belief, and Maria could tell without Liz even mentioning anything more.

"Did you leave a boyfriend back home, Maria?" She rolled her eyes at that question. It was the same question her Mom had asked her when she picked her up from the airport earlier than morning.

"No. I haven't had one in a few months. In L.A. you never know if the guy likes you for you, or for who you know. Plus, he was a model...which didn't help that he was skinnier than me." The ladies laughed at that, Liz could understand that--even though she'd never dated a model, she could imagine what it would be like to do so.

"I could just imagine, if I ever went out with a model...what would Michael say?" Liz laughed at the thought, while Maria blushed when I mentioned his name.

"How is Michael?" Maria seemed a little cautious to ask, but followed through anyway.

Liz smiled. "He's good. He's finishing up school right now, to be a mechanic. He loves fixing up retro cars, right now he's helping out my dad with the restaurant until he saves up enough money to buy his own shop. He's in a good place." Maria smiled, she was proud of what he had become. She also knew that it was because he was surrounded by good people, like the Parkers. He would have never strived to be anything special if he would have stayed in foster care, or with his dead beat father.

"I have to admit, in my early awkward years, I had a slight crush on Max." When those words came out of Maria's mouth, Liz had an uneasy feeling in the pit of her stomach. She didn't know why exactly, but she waved it off. She just didn't see that pairing together--she could feel a 'but' about to come out of her mouth, and she was correct.

"But...is Michael...?" Before she could get the words out of her mouth, Liz was already answering.

"Taken. No." Maria turned a bright shade of pink and nodded with a goofy smile on her face, while Liz beamed. She had found her first victim, her own cousin...pretty much the leader of the pack of the guys. He didn't stand a chance.

"You should come with me tonight, and let him know what he could have...now that you're back in town. It will also give you a chance to catch up with Alex, and I'm sure Kyle would like to see you as well."

Maria looked hesitate, she didn't want to overstep her boundaries. But she also knew how much she wanted to spend a little alone time with Michael.

"C'mon Maria, it'll be fun." Liz beamed, because she knew she was so close to making a love match.
"What if he doesn't recognize me?" Maria asked as she started to fidget with her phone.

"We'll make him recognize you...wear something sexy, but pretty...something that would catch his eye. He's a guy Maria--one look at you and he's not going to know what hit him." Liz pleaded with her new reclaimed friend.

"I'll even let you dress me, I know how much you've been wanting to do that--ever since junior high. Trying to get me out of my tomboy clothes, and into an actual dress. Here's your chance...will you go?" Liz was losing her hope, maybe she wanted to get settled first before being set up on a somewhat blind date.

Maria beamed at Liz's last request to get her to go out with her, "You got yourself a deal." They hugged quickly and continued to make plans to meet at Marias place before heading over to the local bar together.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Hey was that Liz? What did she say?" Kyle curiously asked as he pulled another beer out of the fridge.

"Something about bringing a friend to our usual spot, and that we'd better be on our best behaviors." Kyle smirked at Liz's concerns, while Alex answered another text on his blackberry phone.

"What sort of friend?" Michael asked, curious to find out who it was. He hated surprises, he half knew Liz did these things on purpose because she knew they irritated him so much.

"You don't think it could be a potential 'New' boyfriend?" Alex asked the group of guys in his living room watching ESPN.

"Nah, Liz normally isn't that bold." Michael thought out loud, he was never too shy or restrained to give his opinion.

"Or is she?" Alex put his two cents into the conversation, just as Max came strolling into the apartment. Dumping his backpack on the kitchen table and collapsing into the cushioned armchair.

"Who are you guys talking about?" Max asked, curious after just hearing the last of their previous conversation. Trying to rest his eyes after a very long day at school.

"Liz." Alex was the only one to speak up, and Max's eyes shot open. When he was with the guys, he really wished he didn't wear his emotions on his sleeve.

"Calm down Romeo, she's fine. We're just wondering who's she's bringing to the pub tonight." Michael told Max hoping that it would be enough to calm him.

"She's not bringing a guy." Max spit out, with his head back to rest comfortably against the cushion of the chair.

"What makes you so sure?" Alex asked out of curiosity.

"Well, because she told me." Max smirked, he loved that Liz always told him stuff that she always held from the other guys.

"She's bringing a girl." Max went on to say.

"Liz is a Lesbian? When did this happen?" Kyle burst out laughing in disbelief.

"No stupid! She is not a lesbian. She's bringing Maria De Luca, she also said to be at the pub a quarter to six." Alex was happy that his friend was back in town, Kyle nodded in approval, and Michael stopped everything that he was currently doing.

"Why does that name sound familiar?" Michael bit out, trying to concentrate on putting the name to the face.

"Because we grew up with her, you know her older brother really well." Max smirked trying with all of his might not to laugh, knowing it would only piss Michael off even more.

"Troy?" Michael muttered almost to himself, but Max heard him.

"Bingo!" Max replied not even bothering to look at him.

"Troy De Luca?" Michael repeated again, wanting to be certain that this was the piece of scum they were talking at the moment.

"His sister was a little scrawny nerd, that wanted to be popular...from what I can recall." But then again that was nearly five years ago...you never know what time can do to a person, and thinking back she was Liz's best friend back then. He was dreading going out tonight, but if he didn't go--he'd never hear the end of it from Liz. Just thinking about what tonight might hold, his palms started to sweat. He'd never felt this way before, which had him intrigued in what just might be in store for him.

"My god--I think Mikey just might be interested in this one." Kyle teased as he reached for the remote control.

"Shut up." Michael groaned.

"Wait, I think Kyle might be on to something." Alex joined in.

" I bet you, one hundred dollars that when you see this somewhat mystery girl, that you're going to fall for her-- and fall for her hard." Kyle stood up smugly to prove his point.

"I second that!" both Alex and Max ringed in at the same time.

"You know what...Fine! It's like making an easy three hundred bucks in one night, I'm all in." Michael agreed, but he also had no idea what he was getting himself into.

"Well, C'mon why are we sitting around talking about girls for...isn't there a game on?" Michael cleared his throat, as Max flipped through the channels and settled on a football game already underway. As the boys put what was to happen tonight in the back of their minds, at least for the time being.
( Later that evening)

"Stop fussing Liz, you look great." Maria demanded again for the tenth time, in the past twenty minutes.

"Maria, I don't think this was a good idea. This seems to sexy for just a casual night out at a local pub, these are just the guys I grew up with...I'm not trying to impress them. They already know I'm a girl." Maria rolled her eyes, she knew that she was going to try to find a way out of it.

"You promised Liz." Maria stood her ground, and crossed her arms with a grunt.

Still trying to get past the way the dress clung to every curve of her body, the yellow dress was very complementary to her tanned skin. That should could admit, she should wear this shade more often.
Liz started to grumble, "But why do you get to wear jeans? And I have to wear this?" Liz huffed, slightly annoyed.

"I'm just trying to help" Maria slightly pouted, it was strange how their relationship after all these years apart just fell right back into place, with such ease.

"Help me with what?" Liz looked confused.

"You getting laid." Maria said that fact so bluntly, that it didn't faze her...while it took Liz several attempts to get a simple word out.

"W-What?" Liz choked out in shock.

"Well, you've been telling me about your love life this afternoon, and I'd thought I'd help out. Give you a boost in the right direction, you need to get out of your comfort zone." Maria was putting the last minute touch ups on her makeup.

"What's wrong with my comfort zone? And there's nothing wrong with the way I dress." Liz was a little offended, she knew that Maria meant no real harm to hurting her feelings..but she needed to hear what no one had bothered to tell her before and that was the truth.

"There's nothing wrong with the way you dress, but when you go out...regardless if it's with the guys or not, not wearing jeans is the first step. Guys like it when girls go out of their way to get all dolled up, even if it's only to go to the market. Every time you step out of the house it's a way to impress someone , even if that's yourself. And getting out of your comfort zone every once in a while is good, makes you aware of something new every time you do it." Liz took in all the things she'd told her, and could admit that they were true.

Maria spent the next ten minutes doing her makeup, with a bold smoky eye shadow and a nude lip gloss. Careful not to take her too much out of her zone, too much too soon would be overwhelming to her. She knew that much about her, she was certain...but also know that Liz was stronger than she knew.

Glancing at the clock, Liz cursed, "Damn, is that really the time?" it read five minutes after six. They were late.

"Yeah, I guess." Maria looked at the clock then back to Liz.

"We need to leave before they start looking for me." Liz grabbed her purse and then Maria's arm, as they ran out the door and onto the elevator.

Liz was glad that the bar was only down the street from her apartment, and with every step closer to opening that door--the harder it was to walk.

Finally reaching their destination, Liz braced herself as she opened the heavy wooden door and held it open for Maria, walked two steps and stopped. She felt that every eye in the room was souly on her. She felt naked.

"What do you think is keeping her?" Alex breathed out as he took another drink of his beer, as he asked Max.

"Don't worry...She'll be here." Max knew how the other guys tended to worry, and the last thing he wanted to do is find her--like he had last week.

The guys along with Max, breaking him out of his daydream about last week with Liz, had noticed that everything went quiet and every guy in the bar and stopped in their tracks and looked towards the door.

Max's eyes followed theirs and his eyes widened and he tried to the sudden hard bulge that had form in his pants in a matter of seconds. That had to be a new world record. His eyes locked with Liz's and she smiled.

"Hey guys, this is Maria." Liz said casually, knowing that every man in this room was gawking at her.

"Maria, you remember Kyle, Alex, Max and Michael?" Liz put a little extra emphasize on Michaels' name, and by the looks of it they really seemed to click.

Liz beamed, as Michael was still holding Maria's hand, glaring in that 'Loving' look at each other.

"I'll get a round of drinks." Liz announced as she started to head to the bar.

Once she was out of ear shot, Kyle couldn't help himself by saying something about Liz's new look.

"Man, holy shit what happened to Liz? She's actually hot!" Max shot a tense glare to his buddy Kyle as he started to look at Liz like she was a piece of meat.

Max got a sudden urge to deck him, he didn't care if he caused a scene or the fact that he was one of his best friends.

"Kyle, I think you should lay off." Alex warned him as Max clenched his fists and clenched his jaw shut trying to regain his composure.

"Sorry Max, she's all yours." Kyle patted Max on the back.

With that Max made his attempt as he headed towards Liz, she was leaning on the counter talking to the bartender.

The game was on, but hardly any of the guys were actually watching the televisions, they were focused on the brunette in yellow. It's like she was glowing...Max could swear on this, maybe he was the only one who could sense it.

"How are those drinks coming along?" Max asked as he approached Liz, she turned and smiled.

"Hey Max." Liz smiled and hugged her friend. Max couldn't help but smile, and reply.

"You look beautiful." Liz blushed, she wasn't used to getting such complements.

"You don't have to be nice to me Max, it was Maria's idea--something about breaking me out of my comfort zone." Max looked at Maria, who was enthralled in a conversation with Alex and Michael.
Max made a mental note, to thank Maria...when he got a chance.

"No, really Liz...I'm not being nice, you really look stunning." Liz looked deep in his eyes, and knew that he was indeed telling the truth, she couldn't help the smile that stretched across her face.

"Thanks." Liz hated to be the center of attention, and was desperate to get him off the topic of her. Liz's eyes shifted to the table, and smiled.

"Maria and Mike seem to be hitting it off." Max looked back at the couple, and knew he was a goner.

"Looks like he's out three hundred bucks." Max laughed as Liz looked confused. But knowing these guys all her life pretty much, she wasn't that shocked to hear this from him.

"You guys made a bet?" Max grinned as approval, while Liz rolled her eyes.

"Hey, where are those drinks? Are you guys going to brew it yourself?" Kyle called out, clearly irritated. Now it was Max's turn to roll his eyes, his friend could be a annoying at times, when he didn't get what he wanted in what he thought was an appropriate amount of time.

"We'd better get back" Liz said as she glanced back at Max, grabbing the first tray of drinks--while Max grabbed the second, both heading to the back corner of the room.

As the night went on...more guys started talking to Liz, and the more annoyed Max was getting.

Everyone could see that, everyone but Liz of course. But Max kept a safe distance away, didn't want to crowd her, or confuse any guy into thinking they were a couple.

Soon enough the crowd that was once inside the bar, was now almost empty--it was nearly closing time and everyone to heading home.

Maria slightly yawned, giving Michael the hint that she was ready to go home.

"Liz, it's late. Maybe we should go." Maria spoke up and started to get up from Michael's side.

"No!" Michael half shouted, startling Maria as he grasped her arm lightly. Stopping her in her tracks, as she sank back into her chair.

"Let me walk you home?" Michael half whispered, and pleaded...you could hear the ache in his voice.
Alex and Kyle snickered as they looked at Mike, who was a puddle of goo in Maria's hands.

"Okay, sure." Maria looked over her shoulder, right at Liz and winked. Knowing that she had him right where she wanted him.

"But I promised to walk Liz home, I can't just ditch her." Maria looked back at Michael, who was glanced at the other guys. Pleading for one of them to volunteer, he couldn't make a move on Maria if he had to walk his cousin home too.

Max perked up, like everyone knew he was going to...well, at least they hoped he would.

"No worries, I'll walk her home. You guys go ahead." Maria looked from Liz to Max and smiled.

"Thanks for inviting me Liz, I'll call you...maybe we can have lunch tomorrow?" Liz nodded, and smiled. She hugged her, grateful that they came back in contact.

With a wink and a slight wave Michael and Maria were outside the door. Leaving everything else to the imagination to everyone else left sitting at the table, of what possibly be blossoming before their eyes.

Liz caught Max's glance and smiled, "So, you're going to take me home? No funny business okay!" Liz busted out laughing.

"I think you're a little tipsy." Max looked at her, he was amused...he'd only seen her like this once in a blue moon.

"Can you carry me?" Liz giggled, as Max rolled his eyes and started to laugh to himself. Shaking his head, and helping her up from the heaving wood chairs.

"C'mon we'd better go." Liz took his hand and wrapped her arm through his, used his balance to steady her--too much alcohol on a slightly empty stomach wasn't good.

Alex patted Kyle on the back, "It's getting late, I'll give you a ride home." Kyle pretended to be flattered as he giggled in his own rendition of girl giggling, as they all walked out the bar.

"Okay, but no funny business!!" Kyle retorted, which caused Alex to slap him in the back of the head.

"Do you want a ride or not? Stop acting gay!" Liz laughed at this, she shivered as she was hit with a cool blast of air.

They said their goodbyes, and walked opposite ways.

"It's chilly tonight, I thought it was suppose to be warmer? That damn forecast is never right." You could see the Goosebumps that were forming all over her exposed body.

"Here:" Max replied, as she looked up into his eyes, somewhat transfixed. Until she realized what he was holding out for her. His Jacket.

Liz smiled, "Such a gentleman."

They walked in silence for a few minutes, Liz was in a slight fog because of the alcohol.

"You know you didn't have to walk me home. I'm a big girl. Plus, I only live ten minutes away." Liz looked at him, but this time he didn't look up. Instead, he kept his gaze on the sidewalk.

"I don't mind. Besides, I want to make sure you get home safe." Like he always did when he was feeling anxious, he shoved his hands into his pockets.

Liz smiled, but they walked in perfect silence until they came to the entrance of Liz's apartment building.

"Do you want to come up? I have X Factor on the DVR." Liz playfully nudged him in the ribs. He half smiled...not knowing if he had the courage to tell her that he can't get the image of her out of his mind.

He wanted nothing more to kiss her until they both needed air--but he couldn't decide.

Standing there a little too long in awkward silence, he simply said "Can't, I have an early class in the morning." He shrugged and started to walk away towards his own apartment that he shared with Alex.

He was a few paces down the street already, when he heard someone call his name...

"Hey wait, Max!" he stopped and turned just as Liz came running into his own, and hugged him.

"Thank you." She spoke quietly, but still heard her.

"For what?" he looked questionable.

"For being you, being a gentleman. I don't know what I'd do without you." Before she let go of his embrace, she kissed him on the cheek.

"You're a good friend." Max half smiled, knowing he wanted to be so much more than just a friend to this amazing woman that stood before him.

With a wink and half wave, he walked away...leaving Liz to wonder why he hadn't come upstairs with her. It was unlike him to turn down the show, it was his favorite--but she shrugged it off. Maybe he was just more tired today than most days. The last thing she wanted to do, was make him do something he didn't want to.

With a heavy sigh, she headed up to her apartment. She was very eager to take off this dress that Maria was so certain was going to end her dry spell. Instead, she was going to bed alone--AGAIN!

TBC...