Vanished (CC,M/L,Adult) *Complete* Chpt 34 5/2/14

Finished Canon/Conventional Couple Fics. These stories pick up from events in the show. All complete stories from the main Canon/CC board will eventually be moved here.

Moderators: Anniepoo98, Rowedog, ISLANDGIRL5, Itzstacie, truelovepooh, FSU/MSW-94, Forum Moderators

jake17
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: Vanished (CC,M/L,Adult) Chpt 11 11/30/13

Post by jake17 »

Chapter eleven

Linkin Park, Somewhere I belong

When this began
I had nothing to say
And I get lost in the nothingness inside of me
I was confused
And I let it all out to find
That I’m not the only person with these things in mind
Inside of me
But all that they can see the words revealed
Is the only real thing that I’ve got left to feel
Nothing to lose
Just stuck, hollow and alone
And the fault is my own, and the fault is my own

I wanna heal, I wanna feel what I thought was never real
I wanna let go of the pain I’ve felt so long
Erase all the pain till it’s gone
I wanna heal, I wanna feel like I’m close to something real
I wanna find something I’ve wanted all along
Somewhere I belong

And I’ve got nothing to say
I can’t believe I didn’t fall right down on my face
I was confused
Looking everywhere only to find
That it’s not the way I had imagined it all in my mind
So what am I
What do I have but negativity
’Cause I can’t justify the way, everyone is looking at me
Nothing to lose
Nothing to gain, hollow and alone
And the fault is my own, and the fault is my own

I will never know myself until I do this on my own
And I will never feel anything else, until my wounds are healed
I will never be anything till I break away from me
I will break away, I'll find myself today

I wanna heal, I wanna feel like I’m somewhere I belong
I wanna heal, I wanna feel like I’m somewhere I belong
Somewhere I belong

~ vale of tears ~

T
orment swirls inside his weary mind only second to the horrendous pain that lives in his battered bones as he stares at his reflection in the bathroom mirror.

Water drips slowly from his ruggedly handsome albeit aged face marred with a scar that will forever evoke the memory of innocence lost.

Again Max splashes cold water upon his heated skin as a result of another hot New Mexico night hoping to calm his growing ever present cripplingly anxiety.

Standing in only a towel fresh out of the shower he grips the edge of the sink for strength as he looks up at the back of the bathroom door and the black dockers and white button up shirt hanging there.

An outfit picked out by Isabel along with instructions to shave and get a hair cut to at least try and look presentable.

It is the night his parents will learn of his return.

The night they will hear of the lies of his heroism fighting as a marine over dinner and dessert.

Tonight Isabel will spin her tales of bravery and life altering wounds hoping they buy the story of where he has been, his current state of mind, and drastic change in appearance.

She will speak of finding him in a hospital with a near fatal head injury and his miraculous recovery.

How it was a twist of fate that in the bed next to him was a friend of Jessie's from back home also injured in the war leading her back to her long lost brother and family.

Leaning back against the wall he watches as his image blurs contorting back and forth from the young clean cut moralistic responsible boy he barely remembers to the hardened ruthless warrior he has become.

Smoothing his wet jet black hair back that he refused to cut he held the razor in his hands contemplating Isabel's instructions briefly before placing it back in the medicine cabinet.

He was no longer this boy, this obedient innocent son they knew, and nothing would change that.

There was no use pretending.

Flickering his intense amber eyes up to the mirror, he knew that the last of the Max that they knew was left on the bloody battle field littered with bones and fear back on Antar in the death camps.

It was Zan that gazed back lost and alone numb so far gone that it didn't matter what lies were told just as long it would keep them from asking questions he could not answer.

Just as long as it meant they would keep their distance.

Just as long as he didn't have to feel emotions he had tried so hard to bury over the years.

Thinking back to his younger self his anger and resentment seemed to grow.

The boy that tried so hard to please, to be the perfect son, the perfect brother, friend... human.

Always denying what he truly was, always living in shame, turning his back on the one thing that could have released him from all his fears and doubts.

Harder on himself than anyone could possibly be, feeling responsible for everyone, feeling the need to save them all, protecting them from the dangers they seemed determined to seek out.

Maybe Max understood his parents turning on him, his father's investigations, his mother's judgments so long ago, but the person he had became could not.

Rubbing the scruff on his face he decided that he wasn't going to change a thing, maybe Max was content jumping through hoops, but he was a man now.

A man that had been through a kind of hell they all could never even begin to imagine.

His days of conforming to fit into others preconceived ideas of what he should be were over.

Leaving the bathroom he threw on his worn jeans and a black tee shirt before securing his knife in his boot and grabbing his keys.

Riding too fast for the sharp curves he skidded recklessly as thoughts of Liz flooded his mind.

It had been a week since that night on the street where he had witnessed the budding relationship with Charlie the doctor.

He could still feel the fire sparking from his fingers as he grazed her skin awakening what he knew was lying quietly beneath the surface of her most intimate places.

He tried to block her out knowing, always knowing that her choice had been made.

But still she called out to him in the power of their bond.

The urgent pull of her restless spirit reaching out to him, the scent of her skin lingering like wild flowers bringing him to the edge, the coy flick of her long dark eye lashes kissing the pink hue of her cheek beckoning him in her dreams.

Charlie may have had her during the day but the night belonged to him.

While she slept her dream world wove a different story, a contradictory vision of where her true desires lived and breathed, where her soul was truly alive.

Gripping the bike he tried to block out that night on the street, the stranger's arm possessively wrapped around her waist caressing the small of her back, evoking a smile from her lips.

Feeling his heart rate begin to rise he took a few deep breaths as he pulled tentatively up to Isabel's house.

For what seemed like forever he stood just outside the door, his stomach full of knots, churning with dread not knowing the reaction he would get.

He wasn't ready for this, he was still learning the ways of a world so different then what he was used to.

His heart filled with uncertainty anticipating the hurt he knew would be overwhelmingly evident in his mother's eyes and dominating judgmental glare of his father's intimidating cold demeanor.

Taught over and over how emotions were a weakness, a sure way to die, Max had become trained to block his feelings.

It was a life and death lesson one that he had to learn the hard way, these lesson aren't easily forgotten.

He had become an expert at putting up walls of course with the exception of his love, his Liz.

She was his Achilles heal, one that was used to Kivar's advantage in more than one instance.

Leaning his forehead to the door he knew this was a mistake, they had no idea who they were about to meet but it was definitely not the son they remembered.

Just as Max was considering leaving he felt a strange warmth penetrating through the door pressing gently against his skin.

He felt her energy on the other side, light and pure, open with unconditional love free of judgment or demands.

He watched as the doorknob slowly turned revealing a mop of golden curls and piecing blue eyes.

“Everyone! He's here! Uncle Max is here!”

“Hello Lily, how are you tonight?” he softly replied genuinely relieved and happy to see her smiling up at him.

Immediately grabbing his hand Lily brought him inside the house and pulled him down to kneel beside her so she could look into his eyes.

She was wearing one of her father's tie's, a bowler hat, and a mustache drawn over her upper lip with black marker.

Whispering against his ear she pointed towards the living room. "I've been spying on them, I know what they're feeling."

Nodding seriously trying to hold back the need to hug her he listened intently.

“I know this is hard for you, but you are not alone Uncle Max. They are forcing me to go to bed but I will be here.”

As she emphasized the word 'here' she pointed to his heart.

Squinting her eyes she tilted her head questioningly.

“Do you understand what I mean?”

Wishing so much that she could stay with him he nodded again smiling weakly feeling nauseous knowing his parents were just a room away.

“Yes my sweet Lily, I know what you mean, that will help a lot.”

Straightening her hat her expression became serious.

“I was hiding under the table, heard it all. Grandma cried big tears, happy tears mommy said, but I feel It's grandpa that you have to worry about. I don't like the vibrations I got from him. Just be careful Uncle Max, and remember I'll be right upstairs if you need me.”

Brushing his thumb across her bright red plump cheek he whispered quietly feeling strange that in some ways Lily was the only one who really understood him.

“Thank you sweet heart. I'll be fine.”

A crooked smile of sympathy crossed her ruby lips as she held his hand to her face knowing it was a lie.

“Lily! Honey go up stairs with Emma, I'm not going to tell you again!” Isabel yelled as she came briskly walking into the entryway.

A look of nervousness mixed with fury flashed in her eyes as she waved Max towards the living room.

“As if this isn't hard enough you have to make it more uncomfortable by being over an hour late! Just follow my lead, remember let me do the talking, they have to buy this!”

Her harsh degrating whisper made Max want to turn and leave but it was too late as he caught the skeptical glare of Phillip's eyes coming from the living room.

“Max honey!”

Feeling burning hot but shaking from a cold chill rushing through his body at the same time he stood paralyzed as Diane stood with tears streaming down her face.

Grimacing uncomfortably he braced himself as his mother threw her arms around him hugging the air from his lungs.

How strange he thought to himself at that moment.

There were times in the beginning years of his disappearance he would've given anything to feel the safety of his mother's arms securely wrapped around him.

But now her affection felt unfamiliar and awkward as she spouted out a string of indiscernible words while grasping his long hair.

Forcing a smile he found it hard to look her in the eyes as she pulled away from him to get a good look at the fierce knife wound on his face that was too prominent to ignore.

The words choked up from his throat like he was reading lines from a play that were not his own.

“Hi mom, its good to see you.”

Hearing the distinct deep cough from Phillip that was meant to bring the attention back to him, Max gently stroked his mother's back while she worryingly tilted the side of his face to get a better look at the jagged scar.

“It's alright … I'm fine mom.”

Walking slowly examining every inch of Max, Phillip moved in for a stiff quick hug before stepping back to look him over.

No longer afraid of secrets being revealed or cold harsh rejections Max stood tall, the bags and lines under his dark eyes evident of the horrors of what he had seen.

“Max... its been a long time.”

Almost defiantly Max yelled inside his head as if he was back on Antar speaking telepathically.

It's Zan, and its been longer than you can possibly imagine!

Unsure of where exactly his anger was coming from Max balled his hands into tight fists resting them along his sides.

Anxiously Isabel stood by wringing her hands as Jessie sat on the couch with his head down resenting the entire charade.

The night before they had argued all night about his participation in lying to her parents.

He felt strongly that Max being back was dangerous especially for their children, more significantly Lily.

After years of raising Lily to hide her powers for her own safety she was caught more then once practicing her abilities without fear or shame.

It was almost like Max opened a door that could not be closed and Jessie was afraid they would all suffer for it.

The tension in the room was almost unbearable as Max and Phillip stared each other down.

Isabel held her breath as little Lily watched from the top of the stairs undetected.

Nervously Isabel motioned to the living room.

“Why don't we all have some coffee and dessert, I have one of Amy's special coconut custard pie's if anyone's still hungry.”

The tension in the room was more than palpable as they each sat struggling for a way to start a conversation no one was expecting to have.

Balling up a napkin anxiously Max's mom's eyes teared up in disbelief as she slowly discovered each scar visible from his arms, face and neck.

“I-I don't understand, your scars … it hardly looks like a professional worked on you. Did they not have surgeons where you were, who took care of you Max?”

Phillip's eyes narrowed at Diane's comment as the wheels in his head turned quickly.

“Mom, I don't think Max wants to discuss his injuries right now. Why don't we just catch up on what's being going on with the family.”

Isabel's attempt at a civil conversation was a noble try but clearly it was not what Phillip had in mind.

“I'll catch him up on what's been going on with the family Isabel. In fact why don't we start with your mother? See for the past ten years she's been tortured with the fact that she had no idea where her son was, in fact for the first five years she cried herself to sleep, she even hired a detective to try and find you convinced that you were dead in a ditch somewhere because her son Max would never ever put her through such hell as disappearing off the face of the Earth - “

“Dad! You promised!!” Isabel in full panic mode stood knocking over her coffee on the living room rug.

Diane was crying even harder now with her head in her hands her voice muffled by her on going sobs.

“Phillip please... he's been through too much... this is not the time to interrogate him.”

The word interrogate struck a horrible cord deep inside Max as he rose to feet.

Instantly he had a flash of one Kivar's henchmen endlessly torturing him desperate to pull out memories of the Royal family he had no way of knowing.

Hours of mindwarping leaving him wrenching with pain and confusion on his knees bleeding from his ears, eyes and mouth begging for it to end.

Without saying a word Max turned for the door.

“Max wait! Please, let me talk to him!”

With Jessie's insistence Isabel let Max leave as the two worlds he knew rocked painfully inside his head.

Jumping on his bike he looked quickly up towards Lily's bedroom watching as she held her tiny hand over her heart and out towards him.

Max took off into the night after repeating it back to her.

For what seemed like hours he drove aimlessly into the night wanting nothing more to escape from this world he no longer knew or understood.

Fueled by frustration and displaced anger he found himself being pulled inexplicably towards the desert.

Before he knew it he was deep into the vast emptiness of the wide open space of darkness with a ceiling of brilliant flickering white stars that seemed to over take the sky above him.

Skidding across the rocky sand he left his bike on the ground and started pacing back and forth between two towering pointed rocks.

Running his hands through his long thick hair as it fell back across his brandy colored eyes he tried to calm down but it was no use.

With his heart pounding and his chest heaving with distress he reached his hand out towards a six foot rounded stone and blew it into a million pieces sending debris flying everywhere.

Covered in brownish soot he raised his hands towards the ground in front of him and watched as flames shot up from the desert floor rising high into the night sky.

It was that moment that he noticed two headlights in the distance coming his way.

Under his breath he groaned as he gathered his energy getting ready to face whatever had followed him.

Standing without fear tall and intimidating grasping his knife in one hand and holding out his palm almost hoping for a fight he waited for the car to slow to a stop directly in front of him.

Gnashing his teeth he rattled off incoherent threats telepathically so far beyond upset momentarily forgetting where he was.

Blinded by the streaming headlights Max couldn't make out the person that exited the car but it didn't matter who it was to him.

Emotions spanning from rage to unimaginable pain bubbled up to the surface with lightening speed from his gut to the edge of his throat fighting their way out in an explosive burst of energy.

The fire he had started blew up like fireworks on the forth of July zig zagging across the dry desert floor in every direction like Roman candles and cherry bombs.

At this moment all he could think of was inflicting as much pain as possible to whoever this threat turned out to be.

He didn't care about right or wrong, he felt as if he was being pulled apart inside, and he couldn't take it anymore.

Flashes of all the suffering he and others endured flickered with intensity behind his eyes forcing him to relive moments he would rather die than remember.

His hands began to tremble as he focused all his energy on destroying this intruder.

Slowly the bright headlights from the car formed a brilliant glowing halo outlining her body as she stepped closer.

She looked like an angel, much like the angel that had come to him many times in his darkest hour when he thought death was coming to claim its prize.

Tears formed in his stunned wide eyes as she carefully walked towards him.

Her loose raven curls floated around her delicate bare shoulders as the cool desert breeze chilled her skin causing her to shiver.

As a single tear fell from his cheek he whispered her name almost in disbelief dropping the knife letting it fall to the ground.

“Liz?”

Running towards him she collapsed in his arms burying her face in crook of his neck.

“I heard what happened, I'm so sorry. I'm here now. I'm here...”

Barely able to breathe Max laced his fingers through her hair holding her to his body letting his tired eyes slide shut.

Was this real he thought to himself or had he finally gone crazy.

The warmth of her breath on his body as she whispered his name over and over trying to calm him convinced him otherwise.

Standing under a blanket of stars alone with her as she quivered against his broken body he let out a shuddered breath as the fire that had been raging wildly around him slowly calmed to a circle of burning ambers by his boots.

"Shh, I'm here now. It's going to be alright Max, I promise ... I promise."

Her voice was sweeter than honey as it flowed through his tense body relaxing every muscle, soothing his nerves, releasing the breath he had been holding in while anticipating the fight he thought was coming.

There was no denying the immediate affect her body was having on him as his heart fluttered helplessly against hers but her words in the end would hold no peace for him.

While the comfort she brought him gave him the temporary solace he so desperately needed, her promises that everything would work out might as well have fallen on deaf ears.

The life he fought so hard to return to was no more than a mere pathetic existence with one worthless hour leading into the next.

With family full of resentment and accusations, friends that feared or worse had no need for him, a pointless dead end job and a hellish past that refused to let him move forward he questioned his very reason for being there.

But beyond the agony that waited day in and day out for him, there, above all, was the ever present horror that brought him to his very knees.

The true dagger that pierced his heart, that tied him to a deep black hole so dark and empty it rivaled the torture inflicted upon him for the last ten years.

A realization that haunted each night his waking hours and beyond...

The love that saved his life again and again with just a memory and a faded picture was happy without him.

No matter how hard he wanted to dismiss the facts that tore at his gut, the truth blinded him like the sun refusing to allow him to look away.

She was better off without him, she deserved a life he could never give her no matter how hard he tried.

He loved her enough to know that, problem was getting his heart to accept it.

That would prove to be the hardest challenge he would ever have to face.

Still as they collapsed to the ground and held each other in front of the warmth of the fire he sighed desperate for just a little more time before having to let go.

Not yet....

Not just yet...

"Doubt thou the stars are fire; Doubt that the sun doth move; Doubt truth to be a liar; But never doubt I love."

Hamlet, by William Shakespeare
jake17
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: Vanished (CC,M/L,Adult) Chpt 12 11/30/13

Post by jake17 »

Chapter twelve

~ turning point ~

Sitting beside him clearly concerned but lost as to what to say Liz shivered against the cold desert night.

The small fire was not enough to warm her considering the fact that she had ran out of the house in a tank top and a thin plaid pair of pajama bottoms.

Max noticing her discomfort raised his hands over the small smoldering embers and closed his eyes.

Within seconds the flames rose a good two feet into the air giving off plenty of much needed heat.

“Better?” he rasped absentmindedly staring out into the seemingly endless black of night still reeling from his father's reaction.

“Yes, thank you.” she replied quietly stepping on eggshells so worried about his emotional state after his disastrous family reunion.

She watched in fascination as the palms of his hands illuminated a bluish neon light that was incredibly beautiful in contrast to a world that seemed suddenly incredibly bland.

Everything about him was strangely beautiful, she thought to herself as she stared at him lost in all the changes that had transformed him into this mysterious man who had returned almost out of thin air.

Liz unconsciously bit down on her bottom lip in wonder as the shimmering azure blue hue lit his handsome face like diamonds setting off a gleam of light dancing in his almost supernatural looking eyes that for the first time appeared to her more alien then human.

Surprising herself she was more intrigued by this notion then frightened.

“Please don't take this the wrong way but you seem... different then I remember, your powers I mean, your abilities seem more enhanced almost heightened in a way.”

Her attempt at sounding nonchalant might have worked on Charlie but Max knew her all too well.

She was a scientist at heart who was curious about everything, and desperate for concrete explanations to mysteries she did not understand.

Keeping his eyes fixated on the fiery red flames the corner of his mouth raised in an uncharacteristic smile knowing that she must have been dying to ask about his abilities, wondering whether they had become stronger or if he had possibility acquired new ones.

Clearing his throat he tried to hide the fact that he found her curiosity strangely comforting reminding him of a time where things were far more innocent.

“Being there definitely brought out my alien side, although if we're being honest I don't really see myself as having specific sides any longer... it’s more like a part of me was lying dormant all that time."

Leaning up on her elbows she crossed her flip flop covered feet at the ankles and continued to stare at him inquisitively.

“I'm not sure what you mean.”

Shrugging his shoulders he found it hard to explain it to her, especially since she had no idea how he felt more comfortable living in his alien skin, how much being here on Earth made him feel almost more vulnerable in a strange way.

Shaking his head frustrated beyond reasoning he realized that he barely understood it himself.

“There wasn't time to contemplate the changes that were happening to me there. It was all about survival... ”

Max's eyes glazed over as he began thinking of the things he had done and how if she knew about them if she would be sitting so relaxed next to him.

“... one thing is for sure Liz, there is something I learned very quickly. I may be a hybrid but you can't separate the two. Michael and Isabel are fooling themselves, we are aliens. It is our true nature. And it is nothing to fear, in fact it's a gift, something that Lily should be taught to embrace not be ashamed of.”

His eyes angled up towards the thousands of sparkling stars above his head as his deep voice spoke in a strange almost eerily husky whispered tone that wasn't familiar to her.

“I wished I hadn't been so afraid when I was young, so hard on myself, so terrified of letting everyone down, because in the end Liz you are truly alone. I was lost there, petrified like a child. Waiting to be saved, praying to God that somehow you would all find me.”

Tears hovered along the edge of her dark eyelashes as she covered her mouth with her hands imagining the horror of him waiting day after day for something that would never happen.

“Max you know we tried, we did everything possible - “

Holding out his hand to stop her, she halted her words. “I understand there was nothing that could be done.”

Lost in the flames by their feet he pictured bombs dropping from the sky by Kivar's air force, ravaging everything around him, lakes of fire flowing like water as deafening screams of skin melting from bones blared inside his head.

He remembered screaming for Isabel and Michael; he remembered crying out for Liz... but most of all he recalled that being the moment that he faced the truth.

Something shifted inside him, making him stronger, hardened from his emotions.

“The day that I faced that no one was coming for me changed me forever. I had to make a choice, to give up or fight. The decision was easy, it was what I had to do to survive that proved to be almost impossible.”

Her heart was in her throat as she listened intently, wishing so much that everyone could hear the heart breaking tale he was revealing.

“You would be surprised what you are capable of doing when you haven't eaten in weeks... when you've been ripped apart like a rag doll, when you are fighting for every last breath.”

Covering his hand with hers, her heart physically ached for him picturing the young boy she knew terrified, alone in what sounded like pure hell.

Breathing out his name in a sorrowful whisper her empathetic sable eyes welled with tears.

“Whether you're human or alien at some point your need to survive kicks in and you find yourself doing things you could never imagine... things you can never forget.”

Realizing what he was saying he slowly lowered his eyes towards her as she struggled to digest what he was saying.

It felt so unbelievably freeing to share these feelings that had been locked up inside him for so long.

The loneliness of the years of isolation made him so closed off to his emotions, but with her it was different like she possessed a certain part of him that remembered a time when he held her in his arms and nothing mattered.

There was a certain trust between them that had endured time, war, even death.

Watching her as the orange glow from the fire flickered across the pink hue of her cheeks, and the clean scent of soap and baby powder lingered along her silky skin made it almost painful to be so close to her.

She looked so beautiful, so incredibly sensual and warm.

Just sitting next to her proved to be a challenge for him as his need to touch her, kiss her, find comfort in her became overwhelming.

Flipping his hand over hers he gently caressed her palm with his thumb, sliding the tips of his fingers along the inside of her arm.

Like electrical sparks spreading warmth through both of them they gasped at the same time inflamed by something that seemed so natural, beyond passionate, beyond right... almost magical.

Frightened she looked away in an almost uncomfortable way.

His heart sank causing him to immediately retreat from her.

Obviously she wasn't prepared for his affection or more likely the undeniable chemistry that stirred unexpectedly from the simple touch of his hand.

Her breath became erratic, her body tense on fire aroused in a way that she had not felt in years.

Liz's mind searched for rational explanations, like data with her experiments, she tried to convince herself that this was just an emotional response brought on by memories of what they used to be and the power of first love.

She couldn't deny the bond they shared nor did she want to but she refused to let it rule her life, or the promises she made to herself.

She had been through too much to turn her back on the hard choices she had made.

What she was building with Charlie was something that would last, a foundation of trust, respect, and mutual interests.

It all added up, like a formula in a lab, it was conclusive, definitive.

Passion was fleeting, uncontrollable, unreliable.

In Liz's mind it was dangerous, causing you to lose yourself, causing you to live in pain, in a past that could never be again.

Instantly he felt as if he had crossed some imaginary line, the way she looked away, the way she sat motionless almost feeling guilty like she had done something wrong or let herself feel something she shouldn't have.

Regardless of what he felt from her in her dream state she obviously wanted more then what he could give her from life… she wanted normal... she wanted Charlie.

The last thing he wanted was to make her feel awkward.

Standing he began to pace back and forth wondering what would become of him.

Not able to move forward he was stuck in a vicious of circle of doubt and insecurity never imagining returning home would be this way.

“Liz why did you come here?”

His tone was harsh and direct much more colder than he had intended it to be.

Surprised by his demeanor she pulled her knees up to her chest knowing that her signals were more than confusing, they were unfair.

Cringing inside she hated even thinking that she was causing him more pain then he was already in.

Taking a deep breath she stood behind him as he glared out into the dark barren nothingness that in a strange way seemed to give him a sense of familiarity.

This place, this desolate dry lifeless desert brought him back to a time and a planet that seemed more real to him then the reality he had found himself in today.

~~~~~~~~

Coming out of a sleepy haze Max blinked several times trying to adjust his eyes to the darkness enveloping him.

One thing that was obvious was that he was not in the burnt out city any longer.

He didn't know where he was except there was a whole lot of nothingness surrounding him.

From what he could make out from the light of the three moons overhead and a blanket of stars were a series of cliffs with hundreds of caves growing higher and higher from a flat barren valley below.

The only vegetation seemed to be some low lying scrubs that lined the edges of the rock formations, other than that it was just a sea of red dust and the strange sounds of creatures he rather not be aware of.

'Well its about time! I was starting to think you were never going to wake up!'

Jumping startled from the familiar voice inside his head he turned to see the tall, lanky alien flash his bright emerald cat like eyes in his direction.

Reaching for the knife wound on his face Max felt a cloth wrapped tightly around his head obscuring the vision in his left eye.

'Don't worry; I was the best at patching up wounds in my unit. I was able to sew up a laceration in less than five minutes depending on how big it was, and that was right on the front line, usually under heavy artillery.'

Hovering over Max the extraterrestrial lifted the makeshift bandage and shook his head.

'That bastard really carved you up, what the hell happened anyway?'

Opening his mouth to speak he found a long clawed finger perched suddenly over his lips.

'Sorry Zan, but you're going to find that impossible here. In fact speaking telepathically will be your first lesson if we're going to get along.'

Confused Max shook his head stunned by the name he called him.

Frustration turned to anger as he once again tried to speak to no avail.

'That's it my friend, get mad, use your anger … picture what you want to say in your mind. Scream it if you have to but think of nothing else. Focus!'

Again Max struggled against the immense pain and fear rushing through his body as he pictured the words in his head.

And again nothing happened.

Gritting his teeth he stared in defeat up at the three red moons moving slowly above his head as he grasped the crimson soil in his hands and threw it across the opening of the cave.

Shaking his head back and forth the alien stood back looking down at him as if he were pathetic.

'I knew it was all hype, the boy King come back to his dying planet to save his people from the devil himself, what a load of crap.'

Leaning down in close he tilted his oval human like face and narrowed his striking eyes so he was almost touching noses with Max.

'I should've picked up on it before, you’re just a boy! A human pathetic excuse for the hero that battled the very forces of evil until it tore the life from his fearless heart! Poor little Zan, are you missing the comforts of your vulnerable little planet? Do you miss your human mommy? Does little Zan need to crawl in a corner and cry, too weak to go on; are you ready to give up already? Would little Zan like me to put him out of his misery?!'

Grimacing in unimaginable pain Max pulled himself up using the walls of the cave as support and glared up into the fiery intense eyes of the mysterious being screaming in his head.

'My ... name ... is … MAX!!'

Nodding proudly the towering alien gave Max a self-satisfying grin resting his hand upon his shoulder.

' Sorry kid, I didn't mean a word of that, I had to get you mad, it was the only way. You were over thinking it, I had to get you out of your head.'

Breathless Max stared up at the blond haired almost beautiful creature stunned as a warm friendly expression now covered his face.

'Now that we can properly communicate, my name is Samuel, but you can call me Sam.'

~~~~~~~~

“Max? Are you … feeling ok?”

Liz's cautious words lingered for a few seconds in the cool desert night before snapping Max out of his memory.

He continued to stare out into the darkness as a coyote howled in the distance.

Gingerly she placed her hand against his back keeping in mind the horrific wounds that covered his skin.

His eyes saddened falling to the ground as he felt the warm heat of her gentle hand.

Again he asked, but more softly this time, still needing to know.

“Liz, why did you come here?”

She could barely make out his words as she moved closer unable to restrain herself from needing to feel him.

Laying both hands on his shoulders she rested the side of her face against his back and listened to his strong heartbeat.

“Isabel, Michael, and kyle have been out for hours searching for you. Isabel was out of her mind when she called me. I was sleeping, actually dreaming of you oddly and I just knew … don't ask me how but I just knew where you were.”

Wanting desperately to turn around take her in his arms Max tensed his muscles resisting
the need to feel her mouth, taste her lips, breathe her in.

How could life be so cruel, she was so close, but in reality couldn't be further away.

Walking towards his bike and away from her he felt the heat from her skin depart from his body crushing a small part of himself as he tried to be strong.

“They have no idea what happened to me. My dad isn't to blame, he loves my mother and he's watched her go through the pain of losing her son. He's angry, I get that.... It’s just ...”

Shivering from the loss of the fire she wrapped her arms around herself knowing exactly what he was feeling.

“It's just that you went through hell, you endured so much... and now it’s like your suffering all over again... I'm so sorry Max.”

Facing her he noticed something in the way that she held her body, in the tone of her sympathetic voice and in the depths of her ebony eyes that he never noticed before and never wanted to see again.

Pity

It was the turning point for him, the moment where he knew he had two choices, to give up and leave or stay and fight.

That night after making sure she made it home safe he had an epiphany.

He had to find a reason to go on, a purpose.

He knew he couldn't go on living with one foot in the past and the other in a world consumed with suffering and death full of memories that kept him a prisoner of his own mind.

One thing was for sure he never wanted to see that expression in her eyes again.

Giving up on her was not an option, someway, somehow, someday she would find her way back to him.

It was something he had to believe to go on.

Until that day he would have to carve out a life in this strange new world....alone.

"Doubt thou the stars are fire; Doubt that the sun doth move; Doubt truth to be a liar; But never doubt I love."

jake17
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: Vanished (CC,M/L,Adult) Chpt 13 11/30/13

Post by jake17 »

Chapter thirteen

~ the violet hour by the civil wars

I'd walk, I would run but I'd die before I would get to you

There's no way I'd get to you

The roads have fallen off this earth

There's no way I could get to you in time, no way I'd get to you

So please won't you come flying

Won't you come rescue me

Like you do in my dreams

And please don't you take your time

Our candle's burning out in an hour

I'd like to hold you one last time

Our violet sun is burning out

Our crumbling town is falling apart

Our sun is burning out

So please won't you come flying

Won't you come rescue me

Like you do in my dreams

And please don't you take your time

Our candle's burning out in an hour

Our sun is burning out

In an hour, burning out

I'd like to hold you

~ when faith is all you have ~

Antar

Huddled inside a cramped musty cave Max watched as Sam sharpened his make shift spear along the granite walls eying a small creature scurrying back and forth along the edge of a cliff opening set above a hundred foot drop down to a desolate valley below.

Starving and frightened he looked over at the strange but oddly beautiful alien with the emerald eyes still speculating why he was helping him.

He ran through the possibilities in his mind as he pressed his palm over the large threaded stitches closing the massive jagged wound running down his face that was now thanks to Samuel clear of an infection that would've surly killed him.

Perhaps a bounty was placed on his head by Kivar and Sam was leading him straight to him, or maybe he was to be sold to the highest bidder on some alien black market.

The hard truth was Max was in a very precarious situation and he didn't have the luxury to question his motives.

Sam had saved his life, without him he knew he had no chance of surviving.

So with little choice and a gut feeling he stayed close, studying, learning, trying to pick up on everything he could that would help him survive in this hostile new world.

Wincing from the pain still flaming his face he tried once more to mend the deep wound.

Holding his hand over his skin with the little strength he had he focused all his energy on repairing his damaged tissue.

Startled by the voice in his head he looked up at Sam who was tracking every move of the repulsive red eyed rodent lining him up with the tip of his razor sharp spear.

'I heard rumors of your impressive powers of healing, how the almighty King could even bring life back to those who had departed... but you're wasting your time, you have much to learn Zan, and I'm afraid most of it will be unpleasant.'

Opening his mouth to speak Max lowered his head taking a deep frustrated breath once again forgetting that his voice was useless.

'I-I don't understand, my p-powers... they're gone... why are they gone?'

Shivering against falling temperatures Max held out his palm in front of him struggling to conjure up the energy that had always been with him.

Crawling on his belly with his weapon tight in his grip Sam pierced the dog sized rat like animal in the heart killing it instantly.

Silently he retrieved his prize easing it slowly towards his chest back into the cave.

Max watched in wonder as he barely disturbed the air with his calculated movements.

'Your powers are not gone, think of them as … suspended.'

Max looked on listening as Sam skinned and gutted their first meal in days.

'What do you mean suspended … I don't understand.'

After burying the gut sack and spine under the red earth so as not to attract scavengers
Sam sat back on his heels and glared intensely into Max's weary eyes.

'After Kivar annihilated our planet he somehow found a way to harness the power of our people. There would be no individuality, all of us the same. He wanted to strip away any hope of retaliation. I was ten when the virus was released, Kivar's army came door to door insuring each one of us had been infected... it was the day the light was extinguished from above.'

Shoving down the tough salty meat barely taking the time to chew Max glared up at the dark sky.

'The sun... is that why there is no sun?'

Nodding as he gnawed on a thigh bone Sam pulled down the collar of his tattered uniform revealing a hideous laceration over grown with scar tissue as if he had been branded.

'They poisoned us from the inside out, our powers turned rancid bubbling up to the surface of our skin like fire until it evaporated into the air.'

Tears stung Max's eyes picturing what must have been mass hysteria covering an entire planet.

Sam stared up at the blackness above him trying to block out the screams of his family still evident in his head.

'It was a side effect of the virus, an irreversible cloud hovering above our atmosphere forever blocking out the sun. It turns out that the energy of an entire race combined together was a force beyond what Kivar could have ever predicted. Once the word got out how utterly defenseless we had become it was open season. Hence the mindless bloodthirsty animals that attacked you the other night.'

Licking his fingers clean Sam shrugged almost nonchalantly. 'A glitch in Kivar's plan I suppose, but he got what he wanted, I think that's all that mattered in the end.'

Wiping his mouth ridding his lips of the bloody meat Max gingerly inquired about Sam's family.

'The old and the young didn't stand a chance, I watched them all die slowly, painfully. My mother, father, baby sister… I saw the light dim from their eyes until their souls withered and their bodies were reduced to ash. I buried them along the banks of the Jewel river where my mother was born. I think she would've liked that.'

Glancing up at Max it was clear what was on his mind.

'Your thinking how can I be so callous about something so sad, but let me ask you this... how long do you think I would have lived if I spent my days mourning over my family Zan? Emotions are nothing but a weakness here … in this world there is no safe, you have to always be on guard, always be aware of what surrounds you. Those salty bits running down your face will be the end of you if you don't learn to shut it off.'

Wiping the tears from his face Max focused again on the day of the invasion searching for any information that would help him get back home.

'So if everyone's powers are wiped out why is there such chaos, how is it that you are free and not a slave like the others?'

Smirking almost proud of his survival Sam drew another impressive knife from his boot and began to carve it along the hard stone beside him.

'Some of us refuse to believe that this is the end. That our fate is determined by a madman, that we are nothing but his meat puppets. So we search for the rebels, the resistance. We stay alive and wait till day they over throw Kivar and restore our planet and our freedom.'

Ignoring the screeching cries of unknown creatures echoing below in the valley Max encourage Sam to continue.

'Tell me about these rebels, why do you think they can defeat Kivar?'

Guarding the entrance to their home for the night with his knife in hand Sam's tone changed becoming full of determination and hope.

'There are rumors that some knew about Kivar's plan to release the virus. That a select few, a species stronger and more powerful devised an escape to protect themselves and their ancient powers. They went underground deep beneath the sewers, with years of supplies they stayed hidden laying in wait for the day that they would be strong enough to rise up and devour Kivar's mighty army forcing him down to his knees beside the thrown that was stolen by his highness … by you, I suppose.'

Leaning against the damp cold cave wall Max wrapped his arms around his body attempting to calm the ever present chill from his bones.

'You believe they exist even though you've never seen them after all these years?'

Without hesitation Sam answered as if he spoke for all those who had passed before him.

'Yes.'

Despondently Max brought his knees to his chest.

'But you have no evidence that they are real, what makes you believe that they will one day save your people?'

Vigilantly Sam scanned the perimeter of the valley below while mapping out their next move.

'Let me ask you a question Zan...”

Too exhausted to correct him Max nodded slowly as he slumped down further too tired to argue.

'The picture of the human girl you stare at when you think I am asleep, do you believe you will see her again?'

Without pausing Max whispered 'yes' adamantly in his mind.

'But you have no plan, no possible means of escape from this world, why would you believe in something so impossible, so beyond the realm of reality?'

Placing his hand on his thigh against her image he could almost feel her soft lips against his mouth as a familiar pain grabbed a hold of his heart.

'Because I have to.'

Glancing back briefly catching the amber glow of Max's eyes in the shadow of the dank cave Sam nodded once.

'Now you understand.'

Standing outside the door of Kyle's house Max felt a cold sweat break out across the back of his neck.

Smoothing back his long hair he took a deep breath as he looked down at his black button up shirt and jeans hoping he was dressed appropriately.

I can't do this... he whispered in his mind out of habit as he clutched a bottle of red wine awkwardly in his hand.

But it was Sarah's birthday, and Kyle had a surprise planned.

He was going to ask her to marry him and he insisted Max be there for the momentous occasion along with all his friends and family.

Catching him at a particular weak moment Max agreed but it was soon becoming obvious that this was a huge mistake.

Cars were lined down the street, the house was full of people.

Stepping backwards down the stairs he looked at his bike as his heart hammered inside his chest and he struggled to breathe.

Fuck! I can't do this!

Pacing back and forth he couldn't help but remember the excitement in Kyle's eyes as he showed him the ring.

“You have no idea what this means to me that you're going to be there Max.”

Ironically Kyle was one of the few that didn't look at him as if he were a freak, or something to fear.

He seemed to understand without knowing how not to push or ask uncomfortable questions that were impossible to answer.

Sarah was the same always sweet and kind leaving food outside his door occasionally or extra blankets when the nights were unusually chilly.

They were so loving and affectionate with each other it was almost hard to be around but if anyone deserved that kind of happiness it was Kyle.

So he would do this, he had to do this.

Not only for Kyle but to prove to himself that he could be normal again, that there was still a chance for him.

That it wasn't all for nothing.

It was that moment he spotted Isabel's car parked across the street.

It had been three weeks since the disastrous night with his parents, exactly twenty one days from the night Liz had placed her warm hands on his shoulders and whispered kind words of concern threaded with the devastating sting of pity.

Since then the nightmares had grown worse, and sleep had become almost non-existent.

He was unable to quiet the chaos in his mind and the feeling of panic that never let him rest.

He knew they were there, looming around him, closing in on him … watching.

Like a radio station radiating static through the air he felt their presence stinging his senses.

Leaning against the house he gazed up at the night sky thinking of how many times he dreamed of coming home.

Dreams of holding her, just being still and quiet... feeling safe and loved.

He waited so patiently to rest in her embrace, to listen to her breath against his chest, to feel her skin.

What was it all for if not to feel that once again?

It wasn't just Liz that he felt far from; everyone he loved kept at a distance.

Michael avoided him at all cost and Isabel treated him like a project she needed to work on or another child that needed looking after not the sister he so desperately missed.

His parents were still not speaking to him demanding more of an explanation for the pain he put them through and as for Liz.

She was truly a double edged sword.

The urge to see her, to be near her was overwhelming but he could not shake the feeling of that night in the desert.

A part of him refused to believe that this was all that was left between them.

Yet there was that voice deep inside creeping up late in the night, reminding him of what he had become, ugly and scarred, paralyzed with nightmares he could never put to rest.

Why would she want him when all he could bring her was pain?

His identity was a lie, he was the son of no one, a ghost of a friend, brother and lover who they had all mourned and put to rest a long time ago.

The way his father reacted that night seemed to release unresolved feelings for everyone in the group.

The tension they felt around him was tangible, their conversations were shallow at best forced and meaningless.

Directionless he was beginning to feel everything slipping away.

It was at that moment he heard his phone go off.

Padding down his pockets he pulled out his cell to see Isabel's name.

“Isabel, I know I'm late … “

The tiny voice on the other end halted his apology.

“Uncle Max it’s me.”

An uncharacteristic smile crossed his lips feeling the immediate comfort she always brought to him.

“Lily, it’s very late sweet heart, are you okay?”

Her usual happy tone was disturbingly dark and foreboding.

“Uncle Max I had a nightmare... I can feel your pain, I know you understand me so don't try and pretend. Please promise me no matter what happens... you won't go away.”

Confused and clearly upset by her distress Max promised her that he would never leave her.

“Lily bear I promise this was just a dream, tomorrow I'll come by and visit. Please try and go back to sleep before Grandma catches you on mommy's cell phone and we both get into trouble.”

His attempt to make her smile was outweighed by the demented voice that was haunting her in her sleep.

“Uncle Max just please remember all is not what it seems. She loves you, I know she - “

“Lily Alexandra! What are you still doing up? You’re going to wake your sister - “

After hearing his mother's voice in the background Max shoved his phone in his pocket clearly troubled by how upset Lily had sounded.

Uncomfortable with her mysterious message and her obvious distress Max decided to leave to check on her but it was too late as the door swung open to Kyle's gleaming face.

“Max!”

“Hey Kyle.”

“You came! And you brought wine … perfect! Sarah loves red wine, please come in!”

His worst fears were realized as the crowd of people grew immediately quiet as he walked in the living room.

Some tried to hide their curiosity with quiet whispers and quick glances but most just flat out stared at him.

There was an audible gasp in the room when they noticed his face.

Immediately he lowered his head forcing his hair down trying desperately to hide his scar.

“Kyle! I need you in the kitchen, I can't find the corkscrew!”

Visibly Kyle didn't feel right leaving him there alone but with the others so close he thought for sure they would find him right away and he'd be alright.

“I'll be right there Sarah!”

Grabbing onto Max's shoulder Kyle pointed to the dining room table.

“There's non-alcoholic beer on ice and plenty of food please make yourself at home. Michael and Isabel are around here somewhere. I promise I'll be back in a few, if you need anything Max please just let me know.”

Forcing a smile Max nodded. “I'll be fine, go help Sarah.”

Deep inside he wondered if he would ever be fine again as everyone continued to stare.

He felt as if the walls were closing in, cornered like an animal it was too much for him.

At that moment he didn't care if she was with Charlie, he needed her.

Searching through the crowd he ran right into Jim and Amy.

“Max, how are you? I-I meant to call... “

Jim nervously paused not knowing what to say.

The sadness and shock of Max's appearance was painfully obvious in his sympathetic blue eyes as they glassed over with tears.

“I should have come by the garage Max... I can't tell you how great it is to have you back.”

The barrage of emotion was too much to take as Amy stared at the ground clearly afraid to say the wrong thing.

Forcing an awkward smile Max shrugged pointing to the air. “I can't hear a thing with this music, I have to find Isabel but we'll catch up soon.”

Clutching his chest he found it hard to catch his breath feeling as if he would pass out.

Desperate for her he screamed her name in his head focusing on connecting through their bond but there was too much confusion, too many people... he couldn't feel her at all.

Working his way through the crowd he noticed Jessie angrily whispering to Isabel in the corner giving Max a hard long stare of disgust.

That was it he had to leave before he lost what little control he had.

Walking down the hall to the kitchen to find Kyle he felt a brief moment of calm wash over him finding Michael and Maria until he overheard them arguing.

“You can't avoid this forever Michael; you have to face Max at some point. He needs to know how you feel!”

Furious Michael begged her to lower her voice. “Have you really looked at him Maria? I mean really looked at him? I need more time, it’s just too much. Why can't you understand that?!”

Back tracking Max once again found himself in the living room covered in sweat and shaking searching for a way out.

Panicking he began to hear all the conversations going on around him close to his ear as the music blared loudly in his head.

Circling him, spinning out of control until it was unclear where they were coming from the voices became distorted and deafening as his heart raced uncontrollably.

Pressing his hands to his ears gasping for air he begged for her.

Closing his eyes shut he felt the cold metal of the tip of the knife piercing his temple as guttural laughter echoed inside his mind.

Liz! Please!

Liz! Please it’s happening again!

Liz!

Backing up against the wall he heard them one after the other as the blade ripped into his face.

“I heard it was brain damage, poor Isabel, having to take on such a burden all on her own.”

“Look at him, he's obviously high, he looks like he has no idea where he even is.”

“Post traumatic syndrome? Is there a cure for that? I can't believe that's the same Max Evans he was so handsome, such a shame they couldn't do more for him.”

“And after everything he's been through to come home to find Liz in love with that doctor? He must be devastated.”

QITRUBU!

QITRUBU!

QITRUBU!

(close)

Snapping his eyes wide open his senses immediately sharpened as the ancient word repeated like a whisper against the shell of his ear.

Blocking everything out his instincts took over as he reached for his five inch knife from inside his boot.

Hearing nothing but his own breath his felt the surge of his power rush like lightening through his body.

Holding the blade tight in his hand towards the crowd around him he focused in on each person searching for a possible shape shifter.

His eyes grew dark and wild as his powers pulsed through his body.

Isabel and Michael were standing in front of him urging him to put down the knife, trying their best to calm him but he couldn't hear a word they were saying.

Calming his heart he steadied his breathing until he felt the dark energy pulsating quickly away from the house.

Ripping the hinges clear off the back door Max tore off into the woods behind Kyle's back yard like an animal closing in on its prey.

His golden piercing eyes illuminated the darkness as he ran soundlessly through the trees until he could no longer feel its powerful force.

Knowing the dark one's abilities to trick and deceive Max stood again quiet and still.

With his arms spread outward his hands glowing red ready with his weapon he waited barely disturbing the wind around him.

With a twitch of his clenched jaw he spun around and grabbed its throat slamming it against a tree lunging his knife to its jugular.

“Max!! It’s just me! It's Liz! Please … just put down the knife Max!”

Rage transformed tragically, direly, into despair as his power drained from his shaky hands.

Unable to speak he slowly released her.

Gutted from the depths of his soul he backed away swaying back and forth dazed until he fell to his knees his heart crushed inconsolably.

Locked in the horror of his guilt his eyes became vacant as he summoned back his power.

“Max! I'm okay! You didn't hurt me!”

Witnessing the utter devastation washing over him in waves of terror she got down on her knees placing her hands gently on the sides of his face.

“I'm so sorry, I should've called out to you, it was my fault.”

But he wasn't there he couldn't feel or see her any longer.

He knew in that moment how close he came, he felt her life still warm in his hands.

Punishing himself would take all the strength he had.

Terrified by the light fading from his eyes she pressed her forehead to his forcing her way in demanding the bond to open between them.

Turning his powers within he gouged the lining of his stomach, slicing, severing the tissue causing himself unimaginable pain.

Sobbing she shook his face screaming desperately.

“No!! Stop hurting yourself!! Please!! Please Max!! Come back to me!! Come back to me please I'm begging you!! I love you! I love you!!”

Like an echo deep inside he heard her.

It was true, he felt it ... it was real.

Lifting his face to her she cried openly as the warm amber light of his sensitive eyes returned.

Tears spilled over her fingers as his shaky lips whispered breathlessly.

“I-I love - “

“Liz! Liz are you out here!”

Looking back Liz could see Charlie coming through the trees towards them.

Smoothing her hair back she wiped her mascara from her face.

“Max, we've got to get you out of - “

Falling back on her heels she stared at the empty space before her.

The only evidence left was his knife below the tree and his tears still wet on her skin.
Last edited by jake17 on Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jake17
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: Vanished (CC,M/L,Adult) Chpt 14 11/30/13

Post by jake17 »

Chapter fourteen

~ song, Kingdom Come by the civil wars

Run, run, run away
Buy yourself another day
A cold wind's whispering
Secrets in your ear
So low only your can hear...

Run, run, run and hide
Somewhere no one else can find.
Tall trees bend their leaves pointing where to go
Where you will still be all alone...

Don't you fret my dear
It's all be over soon.
I'll be waiting here,
For you...

Run fast as you can.
No one has to understand
Fly high across the sky
From here to kingdom come.
Fall back down to where you're from

Don't you fret my dear,
It'll all be over soon
I'll be waiting here,
For you, Oh lord
For you...

Don't you fret my dear
It'll all be over soon.
And I'll be waiting here...

Don't you fret my dear, Oh
It'll all be over soon.
I'll be over soon.
I'll be waiting here

For you...
For you...
For you...

~ rest for the soulful warrior ~

Staring blankly out the window of Charlie's Mercedes Liz did her best to act normal as she clutched her blue flowered skirt trying to pull it down over her dirty scuffed knees.

Briefly looking down at her blouse she could see it pulsating from her heart hammering furiously away still reeling from holding Max in the woods.

Quiet up till this point Charlie kept glancing over at her knowing she couldn't be farther away if she tried.

“I wish you would explain to me again what happened because it just doesn't make sense to me Liz.”

His voice was calm and as always kind but there was a hint of disappointment even doubt as he waited patiently for an answer but received only silence instead.

He had only seen her act this way one time before when they bumped into Isabel and her brother Max Evans.

It was a faraway look in her eyes, as if she were reliving something so vivid and intimate that it physically affected her.

He almost felt awkward being close to her that night, like an uninvited guest, or an intruder.

Since it was only that one night he let it go but here they were again with miles between them and the appearance of Max Evans.

“I just don't understand, we waited all week for this time together, it was all set and planned. Dinner at a nice romantic restaurant then meeting up with everyone at Kyle's later in the evening to celebrate his engagement.... but... you.”

Sensing there was a bigger issue behind all of this Charlie struggled to find the right words without upsetting her.

“Liz, we were having a wonderful time... and then out of nowhere you seemed … distracted, upset even and then before I knew it you were running out the door, I've never seen you act this way.”

Taking a deep breath nervous for her answer he pulled into her apartment complex and turned off his car so he could give her his undivided attention.

“Liz... does this have anything to do with Max Evans?”

Turning towards him wide eyed and shocked she did the very last thing she wanted to do.

She lied.

Pressing her hand to his chest playing with his tie she softened her voice hoping that he would once again see the woman she was now and not a glimpse of the girl she once was.

“Charlie, I had a long day at work and I started to feel sick at dinner, that's why I wanted to leave. I just wanted to make a quick appearance at Kyle's and go home. I should've explained I'm sorry about that but this has nothing to do with Max.”

Staring intensely at her looking troubled and clearly emotionally drained Charlie felt it wasn't the right time to push the issue, but he didn't believe her no matter how hard he wanted to.

“Liz I found you sitting on the ground in the woods. You've got dirt all over you and you've obviously been crying. I heard about his psychotic break at the party, it sounds like Max needs professional help. I mean my God Liz he was wielding a knife around, he could have killed someone... he could've hurt you.”

Forcing herself to stay calm she turned close to Charlie running her fingers through his sandy blonde hair affectionately.

Gazing upwards into his captivated sky blue eyes she pressed her lips softly to his.

“Charlie I heard that Maria had gone after Max in the woods, I went to look for her because I was worried. I tripped and fell over a rock because I am the biggest klutz you will ever meet. That is why I am such a mess, there is no mystery here.”

Kissing him again she smiled against his mouth sweetly making his heart melt.

“You are just going to have to face the fact that your girlfriend has two left feet.”

Sighing Charlie pulled her in for a hug laughing softly still unsure about the truth of her story.

“Will you at least let me walk you up?”

Slipping off her heels Liz raised her eyebrows letting her shoes swing on the hook of her finger.

“No need I think I'm pretty harmless now, besides I'm so tired I bet I'll be asleep before my head hits the pillow.”

Leaning against the seat of the car she smirked adorably looking up at him through her long dark eyes lashes.

“I just have to know one thing... am I forgiven? Because if not I may be forced to cook you dinner and then we're talking poison control, the fire department, maybe even homeland security... It's a whole production that I'm not quite sure you’re ready for yet.”

Shaking his head he smiled warmly at her stroking her cheek with the back of his hand.

“There is nothing to forgive, no need to cook for me either. How about this, Tomorrow night we stay in at my place and I cook for you. I think we've had enough excitement for one week we'll just relax and watch a movie. How does that sound?”

Edging her way out the door dying barely able to keep up the charade much longer she nodded fighting back her tears.

Feeling as if none of this was right but still struggling with what had just occurred in the woods she was in no position to explain her complicated relationship with Max.

It would be a conversation that had to wait until she had a handle on it herself or at least that's what she told herself as she darted out of the car.

“Sounds great, good night Charlie!” she managed to choke out before her voice cracked and she ran to the front door of her building.

Frantically she pressed the arrow button to the elevator as tremendous waves of guilt washed over her.

Once inside she leaned the back of her head against the wall and wrapped her arms around herself watching breathlessly as the numbers to the floors lit up one by one.

Finally allowing herself to fall apart she broke down and cried openly feeling as if she were being split in two.

Looking down at her bare feet she shuddered feeling her two worlds collide.

Dirty, sweaty, completely confused and scared she shivered trying to understand how she got back here, to this place... to him.

Just a few short months ago she was content, occasionally even happy.

Her life was predictable, safe, one might even say comfortable.

Dinner once or twice a week with Charlie, a career that she loved, friends and family that she had finally gotten to a good place with.

Everything was going as planned, it took courage and faith to take that leap with Charlie and it was working, it was all working, falling into place.

Until that stormy night when he walked into her life and changed everything.

When her heart was awakened and her world turned upside down and she once again felt his beautiful soul.

No … not again, she whispered firmly while sliding her key in her door.

Wiping the tears from her face she vowed to get control over this situation.

Convincing herself that she could handle being there for Max and whatever that entailed without it affecting the life that she had worked so hard to put together.

Throwing her purse and keys on her couch she took a deep breath as she unzipped her skirt and let it fall to the floor.

Walking to the kitchen she poured herself a glass of wine to calm her nerves while unbuttoning her blouse and throwing it on the table.

Examining the dirt and twigs embedded into her hands and knees she stepped into the bathroom and turned on the shower.

Once under the hot steaming water she pressed her forehead to the cool tile as flashes of the night flickered through her mind.

Laughing at dinner truly enjoying herself with Charlie quickly faded into the dark forest holding Max's strikingly vulnerable face watching helplessly as he descended into hell.

Staring into the bathroom mirror she slipped a thin cotton robe on and combed back her long dark hair staring at the now visible finger prints that were quickly beginning to bruise across her neck.

Exhausted and emotionally drained she walked towards her bedroom vowing to get a handle on this.

She would meet with the rest of the gang and get him the support that he needed, she would be a good friend to him and help in anyway that she could, and in the mean time she would come clean with Charlie.

Going over in her head what she would say she worked it all out bent on finding an answer to all of this.

They had a history that was in the past but Max was very important to her as her friend and always would be.

Charlie is a reasonable level headed sweet man...

This will work she whispered to herself as she grazed the tips of her fingers again over the marks on her neck still feeling the heat from his skin.

Finishing off her glass of red wine she sighed satisfied feeling a little less shaky.

Walking to the entrance of her bedroom she noticed her curtains blowing from the wind outside.

please...

The wish that he was there was so strong it took her breath away.

Pushing the door all the way open she gasped as her wine glass went crashing to the floor around her bare feet.

He immediately looked up at her from the floor where he was sitting in the dark shirtless and shivering.

“Max... what happened to you - “

Stopping her as she went to run to him he stood holding out his palm.

His voice was soft and distant tragically full of pain and loss so deep it was hard to look at him.

“Wait... the glass; you'll cut your feet.”

She watched in amazement as he waved his hand causally on his way to her bed causing the many shards of glass to rise up into the air transforming magically into harmless drops of water before splashing down around her feet.

“I-I … I don't remember you having that ability.” she softly whispered watching him as he sat on her bed with his back to her.

Staring vacantly out the window he nodded once before lowering his head.

“Does it frighten you? Do I … frighten you Liz?” he rasped to her knowing she understood that he was talking about what happened in the woods.

His shoulders were slumped downward his fingers dug hard into his jeans.

“It scared me when I felt you hurting yourself, but as for me... Max, I trust you with my life. I always have.”

Almost struggling to speak again his hoarse voice whispered out to her.

“Please sit with me.”

Holding the lapels of her robe closed against her still damp bare body she carefully sat next to him trying to slow down her rapid heart beat.

Her body tensed as he slowly turned towards her watching the beads of water slide over her skin to the valley between her breasts.

Feeling the heat of his stare she forgot to breath as he moved in closer his fingers lacing tenderly through her hair gently caressing her cheek until coming to rest along the quickening pulse of her neck.

She gasped releasing her robe, her fingers clutching the comforter on either side of her as her skin flushed hot beneath his hand.

Her body, her mind, her everything buzzed vibrating like electricity flowing, rushing through her veins.

Her head began to spin falling into a feverish haze as her body came to life with just a simple touch of his hand.

In that moment all her senses where heightened intensified as she let herself go giving into him.

She could smell the fragrant lilacs blooming three floor down from a flower box, she could hear a distant coyote howling to the moon from the desert miles from her window but most of all she could feel his entire body surging with power beside her, within her.

She couldn’t remember when she felt more alive, more loved, more... desired.

“They're gone.” he rasped with velvet tones so seductive it made her tremble beside him.

Confused she caught his hauntingly luminous eyes as he gazed down at her shivering body before carefully closing her robe.

“W-What's gone?”

Brushing his thumb along her bottom lip entranced by her every move he shamefully left her mouth and grazed her graceful neck once again.

“The bruises... made by my hands... by my... power.”

Drowning in remorse he turned back away from her and hung his head.

“You will never know how deeply sorry I am - “

Pressing her lips to his cheek she wrapped her arms around him trying desperately to soothe him.

“Shh... there's no need for forgiveness. Never with me. I can feel your heart Max... you could never hurt me.”

Closing his eyes he whispered softly unable to face the world outside.

“I know I have no right to ask... especially now that your with...I-I just can't be alone tonight.”

Kneeling before him without saying a word she took off his boots and held out her hands to him.

Pulling back the covers to her bed she nodded letting him know it was alright.

Easing his exhausted battered body down to the mattress she pulled the covers over him.

Curling up on his side he sighed when her felt her beside him.

Pushing back the flashes of her kissing Charlie in the car he pretended that the words she spoke in the woods were true.

He needed to believe the impossible … for just one night... that she was still his.

Closing his heavy eyes he braced himself for the nightmares that were sure to come.

“I'm tired Liz...I'm so damn tired.”

Nodding she choked back her tears feeling his fear and hopelessness openly through their bond.

Pressing her lips to his ear she whispered softly as she gently stroked his hair.

“Sleep now, I promise I'll stay right here, you're safe now... no one can hurt you.”

Tonight he would slumber wrapped in the warmth of her arms knowing deep inside that nothing was as it seemed.

Sweet Lily was right with her words but wrong in their meaning and nothing could change that.

Still he would always love her for believing it so.

Soon morning would bring the sting of reality and the promise he would be forced to break.

But for now he was loved...

For now the warrior would rest.

jake17
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: Vanished (CC,M/L,Adult) Chpt 15 11/30/13

Post by jake17 »

Chapter fifteen

~ Iris by the goo goo dolls ~

And I'd give up forever to touch you
'Cause I know that you feel me somehow
You're the closest to heaven that I'll ever be
And I don't want to go home right now

And all I can taste is this moment
And all I can breathe is your life
'Cause sooner or later it's over
I just don't want to miss you tonight

And I don't want the world to see me
'Cause I don't think that they'd understand
When everything's made to be broken
I just want you to know who I am

And you can't fight the tears that ain't coming
Or the moment of truth in your lies
When everything feels like the movies
Yeah you bleed just to know you're alive

~ chasing ghosts and kisses of fire ~

Pressing her hand over her heart Lily tried to bock the light flickering from her palm as she sat overwhelmed by what she was feeling... by his feelings.

Squeezing her eyes shut as salty tears rolled down her angelic face she tried to call out to him to stop but to no avail.

Inconsolable she hid in her closet ignoring the pleas of her parents devastated by what she feared would happen if someone didn't reach him soon.

Feeling helpless they listened as muffled cries and luminescent white light filtered through the cracks of her door.

Furious Jessie glared at Isabel then at the neighbors window before lowering his voice.

“We don't even know what her power is, do you realize that? She could be destructive and reckless like Michael used to be. She could hurt herself or Emma. Its getting stronger... she's becoming more and more.... “

Isabel bit back at him in a rage knowing exactly where he was going.

“Alien, like her mother. Is that what you want to say? My god Jessie its been years, when are you going to come to grips with what we are?”

Hitting the wall with his fist Jessie shook his head frustrated at Isabel for missing the point.

“This is about your brother and you know it!”

Pacing back and forth he pointed to the light streaming from the closet.

“Lily never used her powers, she was safe – we were safe, now she's hiding in her closet glowing like a god damn beacon to the FBI and its all because of him!”

Sitting on the small twin bed holding Emma she stared up at her husband who up till now she had tried so hard to understand.

“This is Max were talking about! The same brother who if you remember saved my life by sacrificing his own! The same brother who spent the last ten years suffering an unimaginable hell for me Jessie! We wouldn't even have the girls if it wasn't for him!”

Feeling little Emma's arms wrap tight around her neck Isabel tried to calm herself before recognizing her daughter's tiny voice coming from behind the closet door.

“Please don't fight... there's no time … we have to stop him mommy.”

Startled by what Lily was saying Isabel glared up at Jessie.

“Get Emma out of here, I need to find out what's going on, please Jessie.”

Rattled at the sight of his frightened daughter he took Emma by the hand blatantly ignoring his wife all together.

“Come with me sweetie, we'll go visit Grandma.”

Waiting till she heard the front door close Isabel walked up to the closet where Lily quietly continued to sob.

Resting her forehead against the door she softly spoke to her little girl.

“Sweetheart please come out, daddy's gone, I promise you can tell me anything, I don't want anything to happen to Uncle Max you know that.”

Slowly the door opened revealing her little girl huddled in the corner.

“We don't have much time mommy.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Standing before the window Max waited for the break of dawn as Liz sleepily turned towards him.

He placed his hand on the glass marveling the sun as it once again peeked above the mountain rage splintering the morning sky with a glimmering spray of orange splendor awakening the Earth below with its protection and warmth.

“I still can't get used to it... the light... the sun.” he whispered quietly.

Lying on her side Liz held her pillow tight as she gazed upon him in true wonder of the man he had become.

“I can't imagine, complete darkness all the time. It must've been horrible.”

Turning towards her his breath left him as he stared down at her, his heart faltering under her bewitching gaze.

He leaned against the wall put off balance by her unmatched beauty as she lay before him.

Her silky dark hair splayed across her white pillow case cascading down her bare back, the curve of her hip slightly covered by the hem of her nightgown, her long legs intertwined with the sheets that they had slept together in.

He memorized every inch of her capturing the woman she had become in his mind, knowing all along he would be a prisoner to this memory along with all the rest.

A shuddered gasp left his lips as his eyes followed the path of her body that he spent night after night wrapped around in dreams that kept his heart beating sustaining his will to live.

Her look was not one of innocence as when they were young, but of want and pain, both powerful and damning in their own right, both bonding them together hopelessly forever.

Heat searing

Blood pumping

Skin flaming

Feverish passion riding, thrashing to do its will...

Undeniable

Unquestionable

This was love of the purist form.

This is what they shared and it would never end … it was forever, rising and falling like the tide...

Eternal.

Closing her blinds he raised his arms out to his side with his palms out towards her in the air and shut his eyes.

Calling summing digging deep evoking ancient powers of long ago he felt it flow.

Breathing out he felt it burst from his bones, from deep inside his soul where she lived still ageless whispering his name, he let go... let it free...

Within seconds the room was pitch black.

Unaware of what he was doing her heart raced with excitement causing her to sit up in bed in breathless anticipation until his velvet voice caught her attention once again.

“Darkness? Not always... not when I thought of you and stared up into the heavens. There were so many stars Liz... and they were so … magical. Each one pointing the way home... to you.”

Slowly tiny flashes of light began to appear all around her shimmering like diamonds, glistening, glowing they danced and glided along her skin.

Swaying on the tips of her fingers, glimmering on the ends of her long dark lashes, shimmering across the curve of her lips.

They were warm, electric, charging her with the emotions he had kept at bay for so long... too long.

Aroused, intoxicated, enticed she arched her body letting her head fall back until the tips of her black hair kissed the bed below.

Softly she moaned breathlessly as luminescent flashes seductively caressed her skin floating like fireflies skimming twirling racing like fire crackling along her body.

His eyes darkened as he moved his hands in the air making love to her orchestrating his scintillating embers seducing, coaxing her into an intimidate whirlwind from depths she never knew existed until this moment.

Rising from the bed she stepped towards him radiantly encased in his stars illuminating her every move she raised her hand to his bare chest.

Terrified of the power she held over him he backed against the wall fearing that it would be too all consuming, intense, out of his realm of control.

Closer she came to him her bare feet edging between his until it was too raw, too real and he was forced to look away causing the lights to dim and fade.

Rising on her toes she gazed into his eyes sliding her hands up his chest to rest along the back of his neck nestling her fingers inside his thick dark hair.

Still he paused knowing what he had to do, knowing that this would make it all that much harder.

“Kiss me... please.” she breathed out impatiently.

Tortured by her request he slowly gazed down into her eyes wondering if she had any idea what she was asking him to do.

Anguished he angled his hands skimming them roughly along the sides of her neck cupping the sides of her face watching with urgency her surrender fully and without regret to him.

He knew it was wrong, that she was a willing prisoner to his skillful ways, the mysterious powers that laid beneath his soulful stoic stare but …

Knotting her hair around his fingers he forcefully pulled her close as years of loneliness despair and desire welling deep inside his gut.

“Please....”

Again she beckoned him pleading for the release that he himself had begged the heavens for so many times.

Groaning deep inside as she parted her plump red lips he finally gave in accepting her invitation.

“Forgive me...”

Almost painfully gravelly desperate words fell from his wanting mouth as he softly edged his tongue along her bottom lip before firmly taking her completely.

With fists full of her raven hair he pulled her head back deepening their long awaited kiss until he was forced to leave her mouth.

Her grip on him tightened as he slid his open mouth along her neck, his lungs burned as he panted hot breath against her skin.

In this small time in space he let himself believe if only for his own sanity that she was his, that they were one sharing this kiss... this miracle he had waited so long to have.
It was at this moment that they both became aware of a noise in the distance far away from her lips and his hands and the fire that had sparked between them.

A strange banging sound, knocking over and over, a distant indiscernible voice muffled in the background.

It was not enough to deter them as he released her hair to graze the side of her breasts with his fingertips.

Scarlet red flushed across her delicate skin as he wielded his power against the thin layer of cotton between them causing her to arch her body against him.

It was only when the sound of Charlie's voice echoed on her answer machine did they quickly move away both shivering against opposite walls as if they were physically yanked apart.

He was there outside her door on his cell phone calling her.

“Liz? Honey I know your there, I'm worried about you. I'd really like to talk about last night, I'm sorry about the way I reacted. I know it was wrong of me to cast accusations, I should've had faith in us, in what we have. I really just want to hold you... I need to know everything's ok between us.”

Staring towards her door she gazed back at Max almost stunned by what had happened.

Before she could say anything Max was out on her fire escape running down her stairs.

Stumbling to her window she watched helplessly as he took off on his bike.

Hearing Charlie again at her door she reached for her robe frantically her head spinning still feeling the heat of Max inside her.

“I-I'll be right there.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`

Driving like a mad man Max was furious with himself for letting it get that far.

Wincing as the harsh wind whipped his hair back it was clear that he now only had one option.

Charging up his stairs to his apartment he threw his clothes inside his bag and tossed it over his shoulder hesitating briefly to look around at the life that slipped through his fingers.

Running back down to the alley below he leaned against the brick building trying to summon up the courage to do what he had to do.

Haunted by the past and tortured by the present not being able to escape either he felt trapped and suffocated.

Staggering across the alley to his bike he grabbed his head falling against a chain link fence linning the narrow walkway.

He could hear them muttled joined as if they were one.

The voices … echoing invading pushing him away...

Demented aliens ravaging his mind, Charlie's relentless words pulling her away.

They were all there ripping tearing into his head over and over.

Jumping on his bike he knew it was the only solution.

He knew they would follow.

Revving the engine he began to plan where he would go.

Mexico first to lead them to the desert where he could end it once and for all then maybe jump a cargo ship where he could truly get lost.

Lifting his foot off the ground he lost his balance as the bike bucked suddenly causing him to fall backwards.

Looking down at the dead engine he noticed smoke rising from beneath the carburetor.

Confused he stepped off his bike before someone grabbed his attention.

There he was as if not one day had passed standing behind him with his arm out stretched and a devious glint in eye.

“Wow, I wasn't sure I still could do that.” he breathed out trying to gather his wits.

Lifting his chin up towards him angrily Max deepened his voice as a warning.

“Michael this isn't a good time.”

Intimidated but full of resolve Michael took a step closer lowering his hand beside him.

“We need to talk.”

~~~~~~~~~~

it occurred to me as I read this over that it might appear to some people that Max used his powers on her to force her to react the way she did. I just want to reasure everyone that although his powers definitely played a part in seducing her she was completely aware of what she was doing the entire time. Its just something that Max would never do.

jake17
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: Vanished (CC,M/L,Adult)*REPOST* Chpt 16 12/3/13

Post by jake17 »

Carolyn and Natalie, thank you so much for reading this over, I have this horrible feeling I'm going to lose everyone out of confusion or too much time away now. so appreciate your support.

Chapter sixteen

Pictures of You by the Cure

I've been looking so long at these pictures of you
That I almost believe that they're real
I've been living so long with my pictures of you
That I almost believe that the pictures are
All I can feel

Remembering
You standing quiet in the rain
As I ran to your heart to be near
And we kissed as the sky fell in
Holding you close
How I always held close in your fear
Remembering
You running soft through the night
You were bigger and brighter and wider than snow
And screamed at the make-believe
Screamed at the sky
And you finally found all your courage
To let it all go

Remembering
You fallen into my arms
Crying for the death of your heart
You were stone white
So delicate
Lost in the cold
You were always so lost in the dark
Remembering
You how you used to be
Slow drowned
You were angels
So much more than everything
Hold for the last time then slip away quietly
Open my eyes
But I never see anything

If only I'd thought of the right words
I could have held on to your heart
If only I'd thought of the right words
I wouldn't be breaking apart
All my pictures of you

Looking so long at these pictures of you
But I never hold on to your heart
Looking so long for the words to be true
But always just breaking apart
My pictures of you

There was nothing in the world
That I ever wanted more
Than to feel you deep in my heart
There was nothing in the world
That I ever wanted more
Than to never feel the breaking apart
All my pictures of you

~ lingering wild gardenia's ~

We need to talk.”

Despondently Max closed his fists holding his arms tautly at his side as his heart continued to tear apart with the memory of Liz still warm in his hands.

He was vaguely even aware of Michael standing there; if not for the damage to his bike he would've been long gone.

Visually the image of her standing flush against his body arched with pleasure, his hands grazing the curves that he had been dreaming of for so long still fresh in his mind.

The agony of having her so close only to have her slip through his fingers was more than he could stand.

With the intoxicating scent of wild gardenia’s lingering on his skin he could focus on little else.

Still tasting her on his lips and feeling the sensation of her body vibrating on his fingertips it was clear he was descending into hell.

Picturing her now in the arms of Charlie made him feel as if he would lose his mind, he had no choice he had to leave.

Trying to stay calm Max knelt down to examine the harm Michael had done to his bike as if he needed this.

Without a plan Michael stood nervously still staring at the palm of his hand stunned that he was even able to use his powers, much less hit his intended target.

Glancing down at Max it was hard to believe that this was the same person he grew up with standing just feet away.

The pain involved in reliving the past and the inconceivable loss that Michael had struggled with for so long had been up to this point too much for him to deal with.

Art School, his teaching job, Maria, while all positive aspects of his life truly served as desperate distractions to what was always there, tearing into his heart, weighing heavy on his shoulders.

For a moment he briefly thought that maybe Max being home would alleviate what he carried all these years but it only heightened those feelings making it impossible for him to be around him or even look at him.

But now with the threat looming over him that Max would leave them, Michael felt an enormous responsibility to get it right this time, he couldn't fuck up, somehow he had to convince Max to stay.

He knew none of them would be able to handle losing him again, even though they all handled his return so badly, for their own complicated reasons they all needed him, maybe even more then they let themselves believe.
So there he was standing in the narrow alley littered with garbage, sweat covering his brow, his entire body trembling, there would be no escaping it.

He was facing Max for the first time, seeing painfully the transformation that tragically told the story of all that he had been through and what he had now become.

The horrific scar sliced down his face, the premature lines stemming from his weary eyes and forehead,
the noticeable stiff gate in his walk from his many wounds.

But beyond the unmistakable physical changes there were the less obvious ones that were devastatingly heart breaking for Michael.

Max was clearly shattered, hardened in ways that were so far from the boy he knew.

It was as if the very core of what he was made of was damaged beyond repair leaving a tough shell that only slightly resembled the person he once was.

The innocence, the hope, the endless faith in humanity that ultimately good would always out win evil in the end and the pure of heart would concur all was gone.

His optimism, his on-going belief in always doing the right thing no matter how difficult the sacrifice, seemed to had faded in the fires of too many days spent fighting for his life in the depths of darkness and evil with nothing but hopelessness and despair as his constant companions.

He had always been their moral compass, wrong or right he tried with always the very best of intentions to be their valiant leader, assuming the position not because he wanted to, but because he cared more about his family and friends then he did himself.

With too much responsibly on his shoulders he struggled with each decision weighing heavily on a boy too young who had to grow up way too fast.

Michael couldn't help but think of the lives that would not be here today if not for his selfless heart.

Kyle, Liz, the many children in the cancer ward… and of course the reason for all of this his beloved sister Isabel.

Even Brody who they had marked for death assuming he was a threat was spared because of Max.

But that person was hidden, buried behind years of loneliness and fear.

The light that shone so true and steady in those sensitive eyes had diminished, becoming dark, suspicious, and hard, sullied from a nightmare Michael could've only imagined.

It was hard to admit but standing before him he felt almost intimidated by the battered soldier that appeared before him.

There were definitely shades of a killer lurking behind a face that was so familiar.

Just the sight of him was threatening, it wasn't on the surface either but something that ran deeper than any of them wanted to admit.

“So what's with the duffel bag... you going somewhere?”

Refusing to look up his hands drifted over the engine, his palms ignited glowing bright red as he continued to repair the damage.

Flat and hard his voice left little room for negotiating.

“Go home Michael.”

Knowing that wasn't an option he kept on.

“Sorry, Maximilian I can't do that.”

Hesitating for a moment as if that name hit a nerve Max glared up at him.

“Don't call me that.”

Basically stalling for time Michael glanced over to Maria who was hiding around the corner behind Kyle's shop giving him the support he needed, also ready with her cell in hand in case he needed help.

“I used to call you that all the time, don't you remember?

Testing his bike Max revved the engine releasing a loud continuous roar.

Belting his voice so he could be heard Max released some of his anger as Charlie's voice continued to echo through his head painfully.

“You need to leave Michael.”

His words were final, full of resolve, anger, and an infinite sadness that ran deeper than anyone could've imagined or ever understood.

Bravely stepping towards him, Michael held out the palm of his hand as if he was going to shut down the engine again.

“It's not gonna happen Max.”

Cocking his head to the side Max sighed impatiently.

“Believe me when I tell you Michael you are way out your league here, just let me go.”

Turning his back to Michael Max mounted his bike feeling as if he had no choice.

“What do I tell Isabel?”

Hesitating briefly Max shrugged too devastated to feel anything. “Think of something she'd want to hear, tell her that.”

Lifting his foot off the ground Max began to take off until two words made him pull back.

“And Liz?”

Staring off into the distance as the pain of just hearing her name flooded in like a tilde wave Max whispered agonizingly. “She made her choice.”

Shaking his head in frustration knowing just how much Liz loved Max, Michael grew angry.

“Did she tell you that? Did you even try? Put yourself in her shoes Max, imagine just how terrified she must be to take that leap of faith after everything she's been through.”

Huffing at the words Michael chose to use Max understood at that moment that they hadn't even begun to grasp what he had survived.

“You're forgetting about Charlie.”

Glancing quickly over to Maria watching her wince knowing that this would be a hard one to maneuver around Michael thought quickly.

“You mean Charlie who’s been in her life for a couple of months? Yeah I get it, its not like she risked her life for him or sacrificed every relationship including her damn freedom for him. It's not like they have this crazy ass bond that she will never ever share with another human being.”

Max flicked a sarcastic glare over to him at his last remark.

“My god Max you fought for nearly a decade to get back to her and you're just going to let her go this easily? You're asking her to put her trust in something that means changing her life completely, the life that she fought so hard to have. The least you can do is give her time, isn't she worth at least that much?”

Running his fingers through his long hair Max grimaced as his stomach churned mercilessly.

“And of course there's the promise you made to Lily... can you really live with breaking her heart Max?”

Jumping off his bike letting it fall to the ground Max lunged towards Michael shoving him hard against the metal fence balling his shirt up in his fist.

The sheer audacity for him to bring up Lily made him almost crazy.

“How dare you, you have no fucking idea what you're talking about! Let me ask you a question, since I've been the one interrogated here.”

Breathless and admittedly a little scared Michael heard Maria running down the street to get help.

“Where the hell have you been all this time? This is the most we've talked since I've been back, you claim to fucking care so much about me? That's fucking bullshit! You treat me like I've been an interruption in your perfect little life, a god damn burden!”

Slamming him again and again into the link fence Max gritted his teeth demanding an answer.

“Where have you been Michael?! Why can't you even stand to look at me?!”

Staring into his flaming eyes Michael couldn't force it down any longer, the truth was driving its way to the surface, and there would be no stopping it.

“Because it's my fault that all this happened! Because I should've saved you that day! You were my brother, my family... and I-I...” choking up with tears Michael reached up and grabbed Max's hands, “didn't get to you in time.”

Instantly letting him go Max began to back away rolling over in his head what Michael had just said.

It never occurred to him that he would blame himself for any of this.

Sliding down to the ground Michael held his hands over his face sobbing as years of guilt came rushing up uncontrollably.

“Every night I play it over in my head, if I was just a little faster, done something smarter, knew how to control my stupid fucking powers better.... did you know I had you by the back of the collar?”

Staring at the cracks in the black asphalt beneath his worn boots Max shook his head.

“I don't know what happened, I had you, then you were gone... I must've sat there for an hour staring at my hand, still feeling the material from your shirt on my fingers.”

Letting out a shuddered breath Max stepped closer. “Michael...”

“No! It was my job to protect you, always... ever since we were kids. You were so sensitive, I knew you needed me, like with Kyle's asshole friends and Pierce. You were the healer, our leader, I was only good for one thing ... and I failed... I failed you.”

Sitting beside Michael Max gazed up at the stars damning fate for burdening them with such ridiculous unrealistic roles and responsibilities that they were far too young to understand.

“Michael, it wasn't your fault. We were just kids, you are not my protector. Believe it or not I don't need much saving anymore.”

Rubbing his chest Michael nodded in agreement. “You don't have to tell me twice, that's quite a grip you have.”

A sober laugh bellowed from both of them as they sat on the ground staring straight ahead exhausted.

“I just have one last question for you, and I promise the interrogation will be over.”

Breathing out feeling as if he had just run five miles Max nodded. “Go ahead.”

“I'm tying the knot in a month, and it just wouldn't be right if you weren't standing up there with me... so what do ya say? Will you be my best man?”

Letting his head fall against the fence Max couldn't imagine a more uncomfortable, awkward, painful experience if he tried.

“Do I have to wear a tux?”

Waving his hands in the air proudly Michael shook his head.

“Nope, she got her way on almost everything else, but there was no way I was wearing a monkey suit, A jacket and tie will do just fine, I'm sure Isabel can help you out with that.”

Rolling his eyes Max groaned inwardly at the thought.

“So will you do it? “

Sighing Max stood up pulling Michael along with him.

“Yes, I'll do it.”

Feeling his cell phone vibrating in his pocket Michael knew the reinforcements were getting closer.

“I guess that means your gonna be sticking around then?”

Fingering the buttons on his phone Michael sent a text to Maria telling her it was going to be alright.

“Yeah... but Michael, we need to talk. All of us. And soon... its important.”

“I'll call Isabel, set something up... hey, are … we ...ok?”

Walking back up the stairs to his apartment Max yelled back to him keeping his eyes forward.

“We're ok Michael... funny how some things never change.”

Staggering emotionally drained Max pushed opened the door to his tiny one room apartment and threw his duffel bag across the room.

Kicking off his boots he reached back with one hand and pulled his shirt off tossing it in the opposite direction.

Standing in the dark with just a sliver of moonlight piercing the torn shade over the one large window in the room, he looked over to see her sitting on the bed.

Really it was just her dark silhouette, but it was shocking and beautiful enough to literally take his breath away.

“So I guess you decided to stay.” she rasped with a hurtful tinge to her voice.

To him it was like heaven, or what he imagine heaven to be like.

Like the haunting musical sounds of the crimson feathered birds at night that sang to him from their nests high above the cliffs where he and Sam slept.

Walking closer cautiously as if the near presence of her could wound him beyond repair he stood towering over her.

“Liz...”

“No, don't say anything. It's my turn to talk now.”

Her commanding intense voice was shocking to him, unsettling and to be honest incredibly enticing.

He couldn't help but be devoured by her, sinking slowly, willingly into her scent, her uneven breath, her graceful presence sitting stoically like a woman demanding his attention.

Raising his hand he couldn't resist holding it over her shiny chestnut hair daring himself to touch her, knowing deep inside that if he did he wouldn't be able to stop.

Standing she turned towards him quickly as if a thought slammed into her head and she was desperate to get it out.

“How could you? After... everything. I-I just got you back. How could you do this to me.”

It twisted his gut to hear the pain in her voice, that sweet sound floating on air on clouds voice that was hers and hers alone.

Staring up at him with large tearful eyes lined with anger she pushed against his hard chest rocking him back slightly against his heels.

“I asked you a question!”

Gazing down at her he cupped her cheek brushing his thumb tenderly across her bottom lip.

With a raspy deep whisper he leaned in so his mouth was close to her ear sending chills through her body to places warm and wet.

“Because I love you, and I can't have you... and its killing me.”

Gasping as if the last of her precious air was expelled from her lungs Liz backed away.

“M-Max... you know I love you, but... its … complicated.”

Her voice faltered tragically as if she were struggling to find an answer that was just out of reach.

Holding his finger to her lips he slowly shook his head.

“Shh... don't. It just hurts too much Liz.”

Running up to him she wrapped her arms around his neck wavering on her toes, her body flush against his bare chest, closing her eyes as his powerful heart beat in rhythm with hers.

Pressing her lips to his neck she breathed him in trying to memorize everything about him as her fingers laced through his thick black hair.

Whispering as her voice cracked with emotion she pleaded with him.

“Don't leave, please.”

Awkwardly he smoothed his hands around the small of her back resting his lips against her temple.

“It seems as though all I have is time right now Liz.... just know this, I will wait for you as long as it takes, forever really. I won't demand anything from you, or force you to choose, but as long as you're with him...” painfully Max stepped away from her pulling her arms from his neck shivering as her hands slid down his chest. “...we can't … do … this.”

Thrown Liz stepped forward only to cause him to step back making his point.

“Max...”

Handing her keys to her he nodded towards the door feeling as if he were dying inside.

“I can't stop seeing you, you can't ask that of me.”

Sounding as if she were in shock she reluctantly backed away.

The emptiness he felt as the distance grew between them was sheer torture.

“Never... just...”

It was clear to her in that moment as she stared down at him, chest heaving, body hard, ready, wanting .... needing her so badly she realized what she was doing to him.

“I understand.”

Turning she walked towards the door before looking back longingly.

“Would you really wait forever.”

Leaning against the wall to prevent his knees from giving out, he cocked his head to the side gazing into her eyes as if they were the last two people left in the world.

“Till the very end.”

jake17
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: Vanished (CC,M/L,Adult) *REPOST* Chpt 17 12/4/13

Post by jake17 »

Chapter seventeen

~ making love under bright orange skies, in dreams so real my sweet Elizabeth ~

Sitting in Isabel’s house the tone was very strained as they all waited for Max to show up.

The actual realization that they almost lost him again, something that they hadn’t ever considered, had sparked a long overdue amount of gratitude and a considerable amount of empathy for Max that wasn’t realized before.

Isabel thought it was best for them to meet when Jessie was away on business, since they were still having heated arguments about Max’s involvement in the girl’s lives or actually everyone’s lives for that matter.

It didn’t help matters that Isabel was in constant arguments with her parents over Max.

The pressure of being put in the middle by both Jessie and her mother and father had put a considerable amount of stress on her.

Still she was nervous about seeing Max, feeling guilty after talking with Michael; she truly had no idea how callous and insensitive she had been acting towards him.

It took many nights lying awake to realize why she was behaving this way towards him but she believed she finally figured it out.

She was very anxious to try and explain herself and to apologize.

Isabel just was hoping against hope that it wouldn’t be too late and they would be able to start over.

Pacing back and forth across the living room she kept fixing her already perfect house frantically wringing her hands together while constantly looking out the window for him to arrive.

Meanwhile Michael and Maria were sitting on the couch impatiently holding hands doing their best to stay calm.

Michael finally came to the realization that he and Max were going to have to forge a different kind of relationship then the one they had before all this happened.

There was no denying the fact that they were both very different people now and it would take time to build back the closeness that they had shared so long ago.

It wouldn’t be easy to do, but the love, trust and memories born from a lifetime of friendship would always be there, it was a strong foundation, one that they both felt secure about, and knew deep inside that it would help to see them through this difficult time.

They finally realized that what they really needed to do was accept the men they had become, understanding that they were no longer the boys they once were.

They would have to learn to communicate and be open about their feelings, which for Michael would be easy considering how much he had matured and changed over the years.

For Max this process would be much more difficult.

The past decade had been about shoving his feeling down deep inside, burying his emotions. It was necessary to survive.

To him feelings were thought of as a weakness, a flaw in his character, even a death sentence.

Living in this world would be much more difficult for him than any of them could have imagined, but at least now they were beginning to try to understand.

The demons he carried around inside him along with the immense pain and loss made it very hard for him, but he was willing to try, especially now that he was beginning to feel that he had the support and love from the people that meant everything to him.

Ironically the only person who understood all of this from the very beginning was the one person he had to separate himself from.

Liz sat at the dining room table far away from everyone staring out French doors that led out to their sprawling back yard.

Their property was lined with an old split fence intertwined with tall periwinkle and lemon yellow wild flowers with tall white bowed birch trees bordering dark mysterious woods dotted with large striking pines.

It was very peaceful, but it wasn't helping the way she was feeling.

She was there because Michael insisted on it, because she was told it was necessary to show a united front to Max, to prove to him that things were going to be different from now on, that they were there for him to support him in any way that he needed them to be.

And although she felt this way in her heart from the beginning, the truth was that she would rather be anywhere in the world in that moment but in that house.

With the night of their talk still raw, it was torture having to be so close to him.

Her dark sad eyes glazed over with tears as she focused her attention upwards to the tips of the tree line.

It was dusk outside painting the sky with the most gorgeous haze of colors.

The horizon was a blaze with bright orange with streaks of vibrant romantic violet hues piercing through it.

It was passionate, exotic and strikingly beautiful, so much like him, she thought to herself as she brushed a tear from the corner of her eye.

She was suddenly filled with the same impulsive, spontaneous emotion that rushed through her the night she went to his apartment.

She remembered running recklessly though the streets up his stairs to his bed.

Whether it was right or wrong she came there that night to rip him apart for even thinking of leaving, but once she was standing in front of him everything had changed.

She recalled the feeling of freedom, of sheer unrestrained abandon coursing through her body.

It was too much for her brain to make sense of; there would be no analyzing these emotions.

Fueled by anger that he could even consider doing that to her again, and verifying the very thing that she was most afraid of made her almost insane with rage.

She wanted to yell at him, hit him, punish him; she wanted him to feel the pain that she was feeling.

There was a force driving inside her and as she got closer it grew stronger.

Staring into his intense feral wild eyes, letting her gaze follow the moonlight as it bathed his bare chest down to his hard ripped stomach and below, it all became crystal clear, like a pin point of light focused directly to his beautiful expressive vulnerable face.

Stepping towards him she knew it was a reckless decision, but when lightning strikes your heart and soul nothing else matters.

She needed him to make love to her, right then and there, it was like needing air to breathe.

Like blood pumping hard to her heart she ached for him in a way that was almost painful.

She needed to feel him inside, to feel the warmth of his body consuming her, taking her, all of her, till there was nothing left.

Nothing else mattered in that moment, she could feel the sting of the hard wall against her back as she imagined him pounding into her, his callous rough hands grabbing her thighs pulling her legs around his waist.

She remembered glancing at his parted lips knowing soon they would be kissing, licking, tasting every part of her with every hard thrust.

It was so clear, so final, it was almost unreal to her that she could've even doubted that they belonged together.

But with that one step towards him... he backed away...

His rejection spun her so hard she could barely stand, after that nothing made sense.

The rest was just a muffled string of words floating all around her only catching one here and there.

Something about Charlie, about it not being right ... she couldn't remember, but what she did know ... what was indisputable was her fingertips grazing his chest.

She felt the connection flow into him, she knew that he was aware of what she wanted, of what she was sure of ...

As she stood there in a daze she knew for whatever reason he didn't want her... it was over.

Maybe she had waited too long, hurt him too much, made him question if they were truly meant to be together.

She could still see the look of pity in his eyes as he moved further away from her refusing to let her even touch him again.

'Forever.' she could still hear the word whispered to her, giving her hope, or maybe feeling she deserved the pain.

Whatever the meaning she repeated it back searching to see a glimpse of what had always been there between them, but he couldn't even look at her.

Thinking that she could handle being there now in Isabel's house surrounded by all of them, it was just too much.

Love is love and no matter how much pain she was in she would always help him, always be there for him, but this was too hard... too soon.

Kyle was the only one who knew she had broken up with Charlie, she made him promise that he wouldn't tell anyone.

She did it that very same night, she couldn't live a lie any longer, once she had accepted the reality that lived in her heart there could be no going back.

Kyle thought it was a mistake not to tell Max but she didn't want to be the one holding him back, he had to concentrate on a future for himself.

She didn't want anything interfering with Max and the healing between all of them that was long overdue.

Plus there was the wedding, there was no way she was going to let Maria down, this was her time to be happy, their big day.

She would just think of an excuse of why Charlie couldn't make it, being a doctor it wouldn't be hard.

After the honeymoon, and after Max had some time to adjust and bond with his family she would discreetly let everyone know, but not now.

She didn't want to be responsible to confusing him anymore then he already was, he needed to focus on getting his life on track.

She could give him that much, it was the very least she could do..

Charlie was very kind about the entire situation, just as she knew he would be but he did ask her if she was leaving him because of Max, the truth was she wasn't.

She didn't love Charlie, she never meant to hurt anyone, she thought that with time love would grow between them, that maybe it was supposed to be that way, but she didn't feel it and after that night of rejection from Max she knew she never would.

Charlie was a good man he deserved to have someone who felt that passion, that fire, that love ... and that person wasn't her.

She understood that she had to be strong now, that the most important thing was to help Max.

If that meant keeping her distance unless they called upon her, then that was what she had to do.

She would have to do her best to shut her emotions down, to concentrate on what was best for him.

In theory it sounded rational, the right thing to do, especially after all the pain and suffering he had endured, but face to face it would prove to be almost impossible.

“He’s close.” Liz whispered keeping her eyes focused on the sunset that was now a dark navy blue with fiery red lines running through it.

She sat motionless like a statue trying to breathe through their connection, but as always her body immediately began to react as he started to turn up the street on his bike.

It almost felt as if the pain she was feeling only served to heighten their bond, she was feeling their connection more than ever, it was absolute torture and in that moment she understood that that was what she had unintentionally been putting him through all along.

Her guilt was almost unbearable.

Like electric currents racing though her body and up her spine, she felt the power of his energy crackling like sparks of a flame making her feel alive, connected to everything, to him, it was almost as if she were flying.

Everyone was now standing staring at Liz, only Kyle moved to place his hands on her shoulders feeling how lost and alone she was.

She held up her fingertips so Kyle could see that they were glowing, "Why is this happening?"

Kyle pulled her in holding her tight hating that she was in so much pain.

Hiding her hands she cleared her throat and put on a brave face.

“Someone should get the door, he’s here.” Liz spoke louder this time, standing from the table clasping her hands behind her back nervously not knowing what to do with them.

Widening her eyes Maria stared at Liz, “It’s gotten that powerful… you can feel him here? Why didn’t you tell me?"

Lowering her head she stared at the ground lost as to what to say, her long wavy hair fell down over her face covering the tears welling once again in her eyes.

At that moment it was obvious that something was seriously wrong with Liz, but it was too late for anyone to ask with Max now standing just outside the front door.

Kyle quickly spoke before greeting Max at the front step

“She’s like a magnet to him; he has his very own personal low jack, and now you know what I'm getting you for a wedding present. Sorry Michael, you can kiss you privacy goodbye.”

Everyone laughed to Liz's relief quickly forgetting about the fact that she had been crying.

As close as Maria and Liz had always been through the years it had been Kyle that had been her shoulder to cry on… it was Kyle that really understood the workings of Liz’s mind and heart.

He had become her rock, her support system, never judging, just a caring loyal friend for her throughout these past ten years.

“Max! hello, please come in, are you hungry, thirsty? Is there anything I can get you?” Isabel rushed over to him still wringing her hands together.

Laughing sarcastically Michael put his arm around Isabel’s shoulder pulling her back out of Max’s face.

“You’ll have to excuse Isabel, we’re still adjusting her medication, as you can see it’s a work in progress.”

Shoving him away Isabel punched him in the arm immediately breaking the tension in the room.

“Medication, really Michael? I was just trying to be polite unlike some barbarians in this room.”

The next thing they knew there was a flash of blonde curls running through the house making a bee line for the front door.

“Uncle Max!” Throwing herself into his arms Max closed his eyes as Lily whispered in his ear.

Trying to balance some coffee on a tray Isabel shook her head watching her daughter nearly strangle Max to death with a seemingly endless tight hug around his neck.

“I’m sorry Max I know this was supposed to be a ‘serious’ meeting but she insisted on seeing you, she’s heading to the neighbor’s in a few minutes for a sleepover, they have a little girl close to her age.

Cupping her round pink cheek Max leaned his forehead to hers almost bringing what could be considered a rare smile to his lips.

“How’s my sweet angel today?” Max softy spoke as he lifted his little niece up in the air.

Squinting Lily tilted her head to the side and placed her tiny hand over his heart.

Her big smile faded as she placed her mouth to whisper in his ear once again.

“She loves you. It will happen, please don’t be so sad. You have to trust me Uncle Max, you have to believe. “

Noticing the serious expression that immediately covered Max’s face Isabel whisked Lily out of his arms and grabbed her overnight bag.

"Lily remember we talked about how whispering in front of people is impolite."

Crinkling her nose Lily crossed her arms in front of her chest in frustration. "But mommy, it’s impotent!"

An explosion of laughter broke out completely confusing poor Lily as she was suddenly pulled away from everyone.

“Ok well I do believe it’s time to go, say goodbye to everyone Lily.” Isabel hurried her out of the house quickly tying herself to keep from laughing.

Meanwhile before all this Liz had made her way into the kitchen to basically hide.

They all settled in the living room noticing that the tension was definitely easing up a bit.

It was the first time since Max had been home that they all started to feel like family again,

“Now I know this has nothing to do with Mr. Chester the molester, our neighborhood stalker alien, or the fate of our lives, but Max you have an appointment tomorrow for a fitting for your suit, Michael’s going to pick you up at seven, so mark it down. I just want to remind everyone that the wedding's in two weeks people! That's exactly fourteen days, for all the short bus people in this room.”

Michael folded his arms defensively. "Why the hell is everyone looking at me!"

More laughter ensued making it really feel like home for the first time for Max.

Rubbing his head Michael placed his hand lovingly on Maria’s knee. “You’ll have to excuse her she’s officially become the bridezilla that ate Roswell.”

Resting his hand on Max’s shoulder Kyle smiled widely.

“Don’t worry Max, I’ll be right there next to you, we’ll get through this, it’s just one day, how much can she really make us suffer in eight hours? “

Winking at Maria she slapped him on the arm. “You really want to test that out Kyle?”

Holding his hands up as Isabel reappeared from dropping Lily next door Michael got everyone’s attention.

“Listen we have a lot to talk about tonight so I think we should get started, Max are you ready?”

Nodding Max suddenly felt as if he needed a moment to gather his thoughts, the last thing he wanted to do was scare everyone. “I just need a glass of water, I’ll be right back.”

He knew she was there, somewhere in the house but when he walked in the kitchen he still wasn’t prepared for it.

Taking a deep breath he felt a ripple of what felt like warm water rush through his entire body.

No matter how many times he had seen her, he could never get used to the beautiful, graceful woman she had grown into.

For some reason she had remained in his mind frozen like the girl in the tattered picture he carried around for so long.

But she was nothing like her, her beauty was unmatched, graceful, confident.

She was a sensual, elegant, intelligent woman who he was sure that if she wanted to could make time itself stop to admire her.

Every time he laid his eyes on her it was like the first time.

He wondered how something could feel so unbelievably thrilling and agonizing at the same time.

She was leaning up against the wall wearing a pair of low cut jeans that sat right at her hips and a red silk blouse that was held together with one single button between her breasts.

Her skin was radiant, her eyes like diamonds clueless as she cut into your heart with every flutter of her long lashes, her body blessed with sinful curves that could bring a grown man to his knees.

A silver long thin chain with a heavy pendant that was hidden just under that one button that accentuated her golden skin beautifully caught his eye as he breathed her in.

Her hair was long and loose flowing all around her shoulders like it had just been wind swept across her dark smoky eyes and shiny pale lips.

It was just a fact like the how the sun rose every day and set every night.

She was simply stunning.

But her heart was always what always drew him close, it was home, and that would never change.
As soon as he walked into the room she lifted her long dark eyelashes.

Immediately the lights in the kitchen began to flicker as if lightening was flashing down all around them.

Embarrassed he lowered his head. “Sorry, I guess I don’t have the luxury of hiding the way I feel.”

Wrapping her arms around herself she looked up at the lights, “Michael thought I should be here, maybe this was a mistake, I’ll just go… ”

She could handle a lot but pity was too painful.

Stepping in front of her as she began to leave he kept his eyes focused on the floor. “No, please, you need to hear this; it has to do with what happened in the woods that night. That was real, it wasn't in my head, this is serious, these aliens are very old, I don't want to scare you but you need to know how to protect yourself, you need to hear this. Please stay. I didn’t mean to make you feel uncomfortable.”

Placing her hand on his arm her voice broke trying to hold back an array of emotions swirling uncontrollably inside her… guilt, shame, lust, love, need, … all of which were practically searing her skin causing it to be hot to the touch.

“You didn’t, I’ll stay.”

As she left he felt the room begin to spin violently knocking him forcefully off balance causing him to crash into the counter.

Unable to hold on his hands slipped off the counter as he fell hard onto the floor.

The flash hit him like a streak of fire searing white hot blinding him briefly before the images began to play out as he closed his eyes.

He became breathless feeling her intentions that night, how badly she wanted him, what she really meant to do as she took that step towards him.

It was as if it was happening just as she envisioned it, he felt everything as if it was real, he could hear her moans, her desperate cries for more as she screamed his name.

Sliding to the floor he gasped for air as he felt himself thrust inside her, so warm and wet, his hand reached out and grabbed the leg of the kitchen chair busting it in half shattering the wood all over the floor.

Hissing he could feel her silky hair slid across his chest as she dug her nails around his neck, licking his lips he could taste the sweet sweat glistening on the tip of her breast.

Taking her again and again, feeling the warmth, the ecstasy of being inside her, loving her, having her… all of her ...

And suddenly it all went black.

Sitting on the floor with his head in his hands he took a long shuddered breath.

How did he not know...
How could he have missed something as powerful as that…

Just then the back of his head slammed against the dishwasher as another flash flickered behind his eyes.

It was her, standing in front of him, that night ...

He could see her reach out her hand to touch him, her fingertips ... grazing his skin.

"NO!"

His eyes opened wide as sweat poured from the edges of his hair, "You never touched me Liz, I moved, it was just a split second but it was enough that I missed it"

Trying to catch his breath he pieced together what happened, boiling he pulled off his shirt and wiped the sweat from his face still trying to recover.

He still had no idea that she had broken up with Charlie, which left him more confused then ever.

“Max! Are you alright? What the hell happened in here, why are all the light bulb broken and the furniture busted? Should I get Michael?”

Shakily his strained voice laced with agony left his trembling mouth.

“No, I just need a minute Kyle. Please… don’t say anything.”

Helping him up Kyle nodded before leaving him bracing himself against the kitchen table.
Hearing the gentle whisper of Lily in his ear he closed his eyes repeating it back to himself.

She will come to you when it’s right Max, only Liz can heal your heart, you just have to believe.

Whispering softy his voice hoarse and weak he closed his eyes holding his head in his hands.

"I believe in you Liz... "

jake17
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: Vanished (CC,M/L,Adult) *REPOST* Chpt 18 12/4/13

Post by jake17 »

Chapter eighteen

~ black ravens hungry for blood will not feast tonight, for a dark haired angel is near ~

Antar, six years, two months and four days

Black ravens claw at the faces of the dead as they lay in rows tearing at the eyeballs with their razor sharp beaks.

The only thing edible after the fireball destruction of the small city left by Kivar’s ships that loom above like hungry vultures.

“What are they looking for?” Max whispered, shock and horror caught in his throat choking the air from his lungs in despair.

Loading his gun quickly distracted by constructing another way to hide Max, Sam pulled on his sleeve making sure he was well hidden by the dumpster in the alley they were huddled behind.

Pulling his shirt up over his nose nauseated by the stench of burning flesh Max closed his eyes in horror.

“It’s me, they’re looking for me. All of this death, women, children… all these innocent people died because he’s searching for me. Sam, I have to atone for this, somehow… someway, I have to ”

Worried that Kivar’s ground troops would soon be ravaging the leveled city, Sam gathered their supplies and pulled out a ripped old map his father had given him years before.

“If we can get to this side of the cannon we may be able to lose them in the maze of Asture, but we have to move fast, they must’ve gotten a tip that we’d be in the area. We have to be more careful, people will do anything for food and the empty promise of protection now a days.”

Despondent Sam practically had to drag Max along, he wondered silently how anyone could mentally handle being responsible for so much suffering and death.

Not that any of this was Max’s fault but Sam had grown close enough to Max to know that no matter what he would carry this burden making it his own personal mission for the rest of his life to make up for the lives lost that horrific night.

~~~~~~~~~

Night before the wedding…

Sitting at the rehearsal dinner feeling extremely uncomfortable Max pushed his chicken parmesan around his plate too tired to eat.

“The voices are getting stronger aren’t they Uncle Max?” Lily whispered pulling on his shirt to get his attention.

Pushing away his plate Max lifted little Lily up on his lap and lifted her chin up so she could see the seriousness in his eyes.

“Now listen to me peanut, this is not for you to worry about, the family is listening to me now and we’re all being very careful. Besides you know anything that comes within a mile of Uncle Michael will get blown to bits.”

It was meant to make her laugh and relax but Lily was far too intuitive and smart to be soothed by simple jokes and Max knew it, he just hated to see her worry.

Her face scrunched up in a disappointed grimace as she rolled her eyes and folded her arms across her chest.

“Please don’t talk sideways to me Uncle Max, I can handle to the truth.”

Smiling as he tucked her blonde curls behind her ear he nodded.

“What you mean to say is talk ‘down’ to you, not sideways, but you're right sweetheart, the truth is always better isn’t?”

Eyeing her mother walking over to collect her Lily kissed Max on the cheek and whispered in his ear, “We’ll have to pick this up later, mom is insisting I go to bed early cause I gotta throw the stupid flowers tomorrow.”

Hugging him tight she pressed her little red lips to his ear and breathed out just before Isabel whisked her away, “please try and sleep tonight, I love you.”

Holding Lily tight as Jessie waved her to go with Emma Isabel quickly spoke walking backwards as her husband became more frustrated. “Are you sure you don’t need help with your suit tomorrow?”

Rolling his eyes Max leaned back against his chair. “I’m pretty sure I can manage to get dressed all by myself Isabel, but thanks for the offer.”

Taking a long slug of beer when he was sure no one was looking he sighed watching Liz laughing with Maria.

It was one of the many changes that occurred in his body from either his time spent on Antar or his transformation home, alcohol now affected him the same way as a human, still he didn’t feel it was something necessary to share with the others.

It wasn’t like he did it often but this night definitely called for a few.

He wasn’t sure why Charlie wasn’t there, but she looked incredibly happy and in his mind the doctor boyfriend must’ve had something to do with it.

Still he had to stare, it could be considered pathetic by some he was sure of that but he could care less.

Blessed with the images of them making love still burning bright like stars in his mind was what often got him through the day.

He had to admit life had improved slightly since he had arrived home.

His relationships with Michael, Isabel and most everyone else were much better.

His parents were now speaking to him, mostly about the weather and their grandchildren since Isabel had told them that talking about the past or anything stressful was strictly forbidden by his doctor.

Max could see the suspicious doubts in his father’s eyes but that was alright, he could handle it.

It’s funny how father’s aren’t as intimidating when you’ve faced death countless times.

Once again his thoughts drifted back to Liz as she stood leaning casually against the doorframe as if clueless to how stunning she looked in the pale lilac slip dress that hugged curves that were all new to him.

They had spoken earlier briefly about meaningless things, both ignoring the fact that sparks as bright as comets flickered back and forth between them.

He had only run into her a couple times in the last two weeks while he was with Michael and she was with Maria doing wedding stuff.

It was awkward each time, especially since she had no idea he knew and had ‘felt’ her intentions of making love to him that night, and he having no clue that she was no longer with Charlie and only thought of him basically night and day.

Between Michael and Isabel working hard with him trying to track this alien that seemed to always know where Max would be and the wedding they both thought it best to keep their feelings on the back burner, at least for now.

Suddenly feeling a strong hand slap across his back Max looked up to see Michael hovering over his shoulder.

“She does look pretty, but you’re looking at her like she’s the last girl left on Earth. I’d wish you’d let me set you up with this teacher at work, she’d be perfect for you, real quiet, likes to read, you know … a real loner like you. Look we all know your heart is set on Liz, but clearly nothing is going on at the moment because of Charlie, I'm just thinking it would be nice for you to have someone to hang out with. Instead of sitting there staring at Liz like you're the king of pain, like you usually do.”

Michael shrugged like he had no clue how he just insulted him.

“Well as inviting as that sounds Michael, I’m good. Besides, I have to be alert tomorrow.” Max murmured while keeping his eyes on Liz.

“What are you talking about, no way would they strike with so many humans around, besides I thought we we’re all in agreement that it was you they were after.” Michael replied shockingly.

Nodding as he rose Max pushed his chair back in while neatly folding his napkin beside his plate calmly.

“Well, yes, that would make the most sense, while I no longer have the royal seal imprinted in me, I still have the outline, the scar of where it once was. Who knows if they can derive any power from that, plus we don’t know for sure that’s what they’re after. We have to be ready for anything. Remember Michael – “

“There is no safe…yes I know Max, you've only drilled that into all of us for the past two weeks. Let me tell you it’s a very uplifting sentiment you’ve got going there.” Michael sarcastically remarked.

Resting his hand along the side of Michael’s neck smiling sentimentally Max revealed an unusually small smile.

“Do you realize that tomorrow you’re going to be a married man?

Gazing over at Maria happily Michael nodded, “I’m a lucky guy, she put up with a lot, she deserves much more.”

Pulling his arm around his shoulder Max padded his back, “Well, that’s obvious, but I’m sure she’ll mold you into shape in no time.”

Raising his eyebrows Michael backed up surprisingly, “Whoa is that a sense of humor I’m detecting? Wow, I like it, its very… human.”

Laughing Max grabbed his jacket, “I believe that is my cue to leave, I’ll see you tomorrow, don’t start without me.” Max joked.

Stepping out onto the sidewalk Max gazed up at the stars and sighed.

With his shoulders slumped over he got on his motorcycle and looked back towards the restaurant longingly.

Another night lying alone in bed without the warmth of her body close to him, could there be a fate worse, he thought to himself.

It was then he smelled the nightmarish stench of burning flesh immediately bringing him back to that unbearable night on Antar.

Using his heightened senses he revved his bike and took off towards the evident fire as fast as he could praying that he was mistaken, praying that he would not be facing the burnt bodies he witnessed years ago.

Black ravens with piercing red eyes of the devil flew around his head mocking him as he turned the corner in a heavily wooden part of town where the tip of the flames flickered like a lighter setting the tops of the trees on fire.

His heart pounded as he approached the two story engulfed house standing high on a hill as it were on display.

Muffled screams could be heard as he threw his bike on the ground and ran as fast as he could towards the front door.

Ripping off his jacket he hit 911 on his cell and searched for the numbers on the house.

Spotting them on the mailbox he quickly stated the address, house on fire, people trapped inside.

Shoving his cell back inside his pocket as the emergency worker continued to talk Max approached the front door.

Feeling the door knob he quickly pulled his hand back, figuring that the flames were just inside that wall he ran around the back of the house.

Jumping on the porch he ran to a set of locked glass sliders that were cool to the touch.

Pressing his hand to the door he immediately ran inside the smoke filled house becoming immediately disoriented.

He began yelling when he heard a deep voice close by.

"Please help!"

“Don’t move, I’ll come to you! Just keep talking so I can find you!” Max shouted back.

Forcing out the images of the rows of dead bodies in his head he followed the low gravelly voice till he found a man laying at the bottom of a staircase.

The man raised his hands up towards Max as if he were the savior himself desperately pointing up the stairs.

"My wife and daughter are up there! I fell down the stairs when the railing collapsed and I think my legs are broken! Please save them!!”

Bending down Max lifted the man up over his back and ran back towards the glass doors.

“No! No! Forget about me! You have to help my family!! My little girl is only six years old!”

Ignoring the father’s pleas Max carefully laid him on the grass in the back yard and ran back in the house.

Charging up the staircase his was hit immediately with a force of heat that he hadn’t encountered since that unimaginable night.

A title wave of flames smacked him in the face followed by a wall of black smoke, still Max never faltered.

Ripping off his shirt he covered his mouth and stayed as low to the floor as possible as he came to the top of the stairs.

It was then that he heard the sirens blaring from up the street, stay focused, he thought to himself as the black ravens continued to circle around him plotting their descent.

Looking down either side of the long hallway he could see nothing but thick smoke and massive flames shooting from every direction.

Crouching down he raised his free hand out ward until the tip of his boot hit something soft but solid on the floor.

The body was big enough, he knew it was the mother, and she had a pulse.

Feeling for her arms Max lifted her to his chest protectively so her face was away from the smoke and flames.

Running back down the stairs he could feel something hot searing the skin on his calves.

With his mind only on the little girl he kept going until he broke through to the outside once more only now there were fire trucks and police cars everywhere.

People were yelling and pointing but all of it sounded mumbled as he handed the lady off to one of the fireman.

That’s when he noticed that everyone was pointing at him.

In one swift motion some big guy in a fireman’s uniform tackled him to the ground and started pounding on his legs.

“Just stay still! Your legs are on fire, you’re gonna be fine, you did great! We just need to get you to a hospital and they’ll take good care of you.”

Max began to panic at the thought of the little girl still in the house, throwing the guy off of him he went to run back to the glass doors until he felt a hard tug on his collar.

“Listen to me! The house is too far gone! We got the orders, no one is allowed in!” the burly fireman demanded.

Spinning his body hard to the right Max broke loose from the husky fireman and raised his hand as he once again began to approach.

A strange look flickered across his ice blue eyes as he tried to move his feet but found them mysteriously planted to the ground.

Max managed to make out the name Jack across his coat before catching an astonished glare from the dazed fireman.

Before rushing back into the house Max could hear the father screaming for his daughter, for his baby Jessica.

Max was coughing very hard now as he got to the stair case which was now completely consumed in flames.

Getting on his knees he raised his hand outward and concentrated, parting a space just enough for him to get through, an emerald green glow casted from the palm of his hand dissipated a narrow trail of smoke pushing the fire to either side of his body.

Once in the hallway he began to yell her name as he held his hand outward with flames roaring in his ears all around him.

Kicking open each door till he saw one that had the letter J hanging by a thread on fire swinging back and forth.

With his eyes and lungs burning with immense intensity he scanned the room till he spotted five little toes sticking out from under the bed.

Knowing she would never survive the smoke that had now filled the room if she hadn’t already died, he held his tee shirt in both his hands and closed his eyes.

Concentrating on the elements, changing them in his mind, he was able to convert the gas molecules into liquid until his shirt was soaking wet.

Hearing the large fire hoses hitting the house outside he knew he didn’t have much time before the structure collapsed.

Kneeling down he pulled gently on her ankles till she came all the way out.

“Jessica honey, can you hear me?!" Wrapping his wet shirt around her little body she momentarily opened her eyes causing a tear to fall from his eye.

“Are you an angel?” she hoarsely choked out, before passing completely out in his arms.

Turning to go back the way he came he fell backwards when a large beam broke through the ceiling blocking the door way.

He could see nothing but flames as he held her close, his wet shirt protecting her body.

Seeing her window he placed his hand on it causing the glass to shatter while holding her away so she would be safe.

It was a long drop, but the firemen were there, and before he knew it there was ladder and that same firemen glaring him down with his arms open ready to take the girl.

Hesitant to hand her over Jack nodded through his mask yelling that he promised to take good care of her.

Max watched protectively as they made their way down the ladder and into the arms of a paramedic.

Stepping out of the window himself Max watched as the floor gave sending the entire top half of the house crumbling down.

Holding onto the rails of the ladder Max slid down as fast as he could now feeling the pain on the back of his legs and the smoke in his lungs.

He held on as long as he could before falling about five feet onto the ground below.

Afraid of the attention this would raise for him and the others he ran for his bike as Jack continued to call out to him.

Stumbling into his apartment he collapsed on his bed exhausted and in pain but too weak to do anything about it before passing out asleep.

Before he knew it he could hear pounding on his door, and the faint sound of his name being said over and over.

Finally Kyle just opened the door nervous that something had happened.

Seeing Max covered in soot with burnt skin bubbled up on the back of his legs Kyle fell to his knees by his bed.

Standing in his suit all ready for the wedding he had no idea what to do, the hospital was out, as far as he knew Max was the only one that could heal.

Lifting his head Max shook it slowly, “It’s not as bad as it looks, what time is it?”

Standing back up Kyle opened and closed his mouth completely lost as to what to say.

“Max! What the hell happened??”

Wincing he coughed a bunch of times before spotting his cell on the box near his bed surprised that it actually made it.

“Oh God, the wedding’s in forty minutes!” Bracing himself as he sat up carefully avoiding hitting the back of his legs on the side of the bed.

“Max! We have to get you help!” Kyle blurted out panicking realizing that Amy was just down the end of the stairs.

Looking over at the suit hanging on the back of the bathroom door Max waved Kyle off.

“It’s ok, I can do this, I’ll meet you there, just go. I promise I won’t miss this.” He rasped still tasting the ash down his throat.

Hearing Amy calling for him, Kyle, after several times asking if he was sure he'd be alright, left with a ton of questions racing in his mind.

Bracing himself against the wall Max saw the morning newspaper lying just outside his door.

Bending his head down slightly as he felt his healing white energy beginning to flood his body streaming into his limbs, soothing the horrific pain in his legs, he saw the front headline across the paper.

“MYSTERIOUS MAN SAVES FAMILY IN HORRIFIC FIRE!"

Closing his eyes for a moment he whispered out loud feeling more alive than he had in years.

“She lived.”

jake17
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: Vanished (CC,M/L,Adult) *REPOST* Chpt 19 12/4/13

Post by jake17 »

Chapter nineteen

Possession by Sarah McLachlan

Listen as the wind blows
From across the great divide
Voices trapped in yearning
Memories trapped in time
The night is my companion
And solitude my guide
Would I spend forever here
And not be satisfied

And I would be the one
To hold you down
Kiss you so hard
I'll take your breath away
And after I'd wipe away the tears
Just close your eyes dear

Through this world I've stumbled
So many times betrayed
Trying to find an honest word
To find the truth enslaved
Oh you speak to me in riddles and
You speak to me in rhymes
My body aches to breathe your breath
You words keep me alive

And I would be the one
To hold you down
Kiss you so hard

Into this night I wander
It's morning that I dread
Another day of knowing of
The path I fear to tread
Oh into the sea of waking dreams
I follow without pride
Nothing stands between us here
And I won't be denied

And I would be the one
To hold you down
Kiss you so hard

~ and I would be the one to hold you down, kiss you so hard, I'll take your breath away ~

Stumbling towards the shower Max keep glancing at the clock on the wall bracing himself against the green tile as the steamy hot water poured over his broken body.

Wincing he dug his nails in the wall breathing hard demanding the white healing power to course through his fractured bones and burns.

Closing his eyes he threw his head back as his muscles flexed, his power fluctuating from the fatigue still ravaging his body from the night before.

Fluttering his eyes against the horrific pain ripping through him he let his fist pound the walls beside his bare thighs knowing he was running out of time.

With the most serious of his wounds healed he gasped for air, his chest heaving hard as he carefully smoothed the towel over his seared skin.

Reaching for his suit his did the best he could getting dressed before running out the door his hair still wet and in disarray.

Jumping on his bike he raced off to the Roswell atrium where the outside ceremony was almost ready to begin.

Limping toward the crowd of people already sitting in their seats exhaustion weighed down his sore muscles to the point of where he thought his legs would give out he heard a familiar voice.

“Cutting it a little close Max don’t you think?”

Spinning his head around Michael’s smile fell quickly as soon as he saw his friend’s condition.

Pulling him aside as the Justice of the peace waved impatiently towards him trying to get his attention, Michael grabbed Max by the shoulders nervously.

“What the hell happened to you?”

With concern thick in his voice Michael lifted his chin scanning over the huge bags under Max’s eyes.

“Were you attack last night?” his voice escalating to a high pitch as his fear grew with each second.

Slowly shaking his head back and forth Max fought to speak against his labored breath.

“No, I’m fine, sorry I’m late… I’ll explain later. We’ve got a wedding to get to.”

Max forced a sincere smile nodding to Michael letting him know that he was just fine, even though he was barely able to stand.

Michael’s eyes darted suddenly up towards the front of the aisle as the music began to play.

Averting his glare back to Max he braced his hand against the back of his neck bringing them close.

“Ok, but we’re going to talk about what happened when this is over… and Max just in case you didn’t know... I couldn’t imagine doing this without you standing up there with me. You’ll always be my brother, my family.”

The edge of Max’s mouth rose in a lopsided smile as he nodded in agreement before he shoved him away towards Kyle’s frantic nervous hand motion for him to assume the position of the groom.

“Go get married, before Maria kicks your ass.” he sarcastically whispered relaying the knowledge that he was incredibly proud of him and loved him dearly in merely a wink of his eye.

Awkwardly Max lowered his head to what seemed like a thousand glaring judging eyes following him to the front of the crowd to take his place next to Michael and Kyle.

Anxiously he bite the side of his fingernail shaking knowing that she was close, that soon she would be standing just feet from him.

He knew he wouldn’t make it through this if he actually looked at her as she walked with the grace of a thousand angels down the aisle, beautiful, stunning, holding everyone’s attention especially a certain handsome gallant doctor that he was sure was close by keeping his eye on her.

Wringing his hands together he kept his eyes shyly glued to the ground, as the sheer torture of being in front of all those people, and soon so close to the woman that carried his heart in her hand ran over and over in his mind.

Suddenly he felt a careful hand on his shoulder as Kyle leaned in to whisper in his ear.

“I saw the paper, I know what you did, you saved that family in the fire didn’t you?”

Quickly Max flashed his pained eyes towards Kyle in a silent humble admission hoping he wouldn't make a big deal of it.

“I know you didn’t have time to heal completely, It would be impossible. If there’s anything I can do please tell me. Don’t worry the ceremony will be quick. You won’t have to stand long.”

And with that the music began, immediately his heart began to race pounding furiously from his chest.

Anxiously he shoved his hands in his pockets shuffling his feet back and forth in the uncomfortable tight shoes Isabel made him buy.

Feeling the air constrict inside his lungs as if he was suffocating he reached up and loosened his black tie pulling frantically at his collar.

Over hearing Isabel he knew that Liz, being the maid of honor would be the last girl walking in front of Maria.

With his eyes fixated on the pink and white petals scattered across the dew covered grass there was no need to look up to know that she was approaching.

Her energy exploded like sparks from fireworks fanning out towards him, the heat actually hitting his face; he could feel her, every part of her.

Intoxicating and terrifying all at once he knew he was already lost, captured by her, a willing prisioner to her forever.

There was no sense fighting it, he didn't have the strength to even tried or the will for that matter, the pain was almost welcomed, it was better than nothing at all.

If a fleeting moment with her was all he could have he would gladly take it for all it was worth and thank the heavens above for such a gift.

Everything was heightened, a voltage of emotion hit him forcing him to raise his gaze up slowly immediately connecting to her as she drifted exquisitely, stunningly up into his glowing amber eyes piercing her soul like a dagger causing her glossy lips to part letting out a breathy gasp that only he could hear.

Yes it's me my love, your soul mate, the one you let go, the one that surrenders to you always...

His darkened eyes drifted agonizingly slow from her shiny black straight hair that was simply parted in the middle flowing down around her bare tan elegant shoulders to her breathless curves below.

Her pale pink dress was skin tight, strapless, different than the other girls, hers hugged her exotic shape caressing her breasts, synching at her tiny waist, embracing the beautiful arch of her hips down her long glorious never ending legs to the toes of her high heels below.

She was breathtaking, a vision of every dream he had ever had.

It was all he could do to keep standing as he felt everything around him begin to dissolve away into nothing until it was just the two of them.

His eyes glazed over the way they do when you stare into the sun, completely enveloped in her, lost, abandoning any concern as to who was there or how hard this was.

As always it was only her that mattered, it was always, only …her.

His breath caught in his dry throat as she lifted her long dark eye lashes edged with the faintest hint of glitter that made her look almost magical, like some goddess sent from a far off place to take all his pain away.

Endless ebony pools of a sultry dreamlike gaze teased him for a few seconds before she almost cruelly turned away to take her place beside the other girls.

Taking a deep shuddered breath he stared back down to the ground as he caught a quick glance at the eyes in the seats glaring heavily towards them.

Uncomfortable he stood before almost eighty people as Michael and Maria exchanged their personal hand written vows.

To his relief Kyle was right and before long the justice of the peace was announcing the married couple as the crowd erupted in thunderous applause causing Max to jump from the unexpected jarring noise.

He saw from his view point their feet side by side stepping from the arranged petals to the aisle as they clutched hands and made their way.

Unaware of what was going on he felt a gentle jab to his side from Kyle. “Max, she’s waiting, you have to walk her down the aisle now, everyone’s watching.”

Snapping his head up he found himself face to face with Liz who had her hand stretched outward towards him while the other clasped her small bouquet of white Gardena’s.

Startled he awkwardly edged his feet towards her trying hard to hide his limp feeling the heat rise across his cheeks as he took her hand and held it close to his waist.

Angling his head downward towards her raven hair he was overtaken by the seductive, enticing scent of her perfume that drifting bewitchingly all around him making him dizzy and disoriented.

“Sorry.” He managed to mutter lowly his voice gravely and hoarse from the smoke still suffocating his lungs as he clumsily led her down towards the many family and friends that were standing still applauding with whoops and hollers for the happy couple.

He felt a tiny supportive squeeze from her hand as she pressed her lips close to his ear. “You’re doing fine, it’s almost over.”

His eyes momentarily fell closed uncontrollably from her sweet breath wafting across his neck making him completely unaware of the speculative eyes that were focused on him.

Swallowing hard he scrambled to think of what to say, he wanted to tell her how beautiful she looked, how elegant, stunning, fucking gorgeous she was, but her closeness was rendering him powerless, like a god damn insecure teenager all he could do was concentrate on not tripping over his own feet.

Shrinking beside her he stared down at his feet as he walked slowly watching as the green blades of grass crushed under his stiff hard shoes that looked foreign on his feet.

He knew he was out there, stealing knowing glances at her, the successful dashing doctor who had the honor of touching her, kissing her, sleeping next to her at night.

It was almost too much to take as he felt her fingers curl around his hand securely.

Leaving the safety of the non judging ground for just a moment his honey eyes traveled up to the hem of her dress finding the delving slit that rose to heights far up her thigh to places he dreamt about night after night in sweat covered pulse pounding fantasies too unforgiving to ever forget.

His gaze lingered there hopelessly trying to take in every entrancing long strike as the tips of her raven hair gently, mercilessly grazed his shoulder.

He wanted so bad to just take her in his arms and carry her away far from the prying condemning eyes that had nothing to do with them.

He wanted desperately to run with her far from here somewhere private and quiet.

Max imagined brushing his fingers tenderly down the rose tint of her cheek watching as her eyes danced brightly just for him, just as they did so long ago in what seemed like another lifetime.

He wanted to tell her about the fire, about the flames that licked against his skin as it lifted and bubbled away from his tired muscles.

He wanted to confide in her how saving that little girl filled, if just a little, that gaping hole in is soul that was ripped so savagely from the ruthless alien that night on Antar, the night that brought him back to her…

Back to this very place in time where he was feeling the heat of her hand resting so peacefully in his, her silky hair caress his neck, her thigh grazing his leg…

He knew it wasn’t real, that she no longer felt how he did, that she took the better deal, the man that could give her everything.

The man that wasn’t fucked up and damaged, the alien that had killed, was part monster inside, marred with scars and wounds too deep to ever heal.

He felt the sharp dagger hit his heart at that moment, cutting swift hard and deep ripping apart what was left as he pictured what he knew what was to come.

Soon it would be her standing up there in white, exchanging vows to tie herself to him forever.

He could see her with his arm around her outside their huge house, golden retriever by his side, kids swarming around her happy and normal… normal … so far away from him.

So very far from anything he would ever be.

And with that he felt her fingers release from his.

Lifting his sensitive hurt eyes towards her he watched helplessly as she looked back towards him for a split second her deep brown eyes angled to him as a warm smile spread across her pale shiny lips.

He stood motionless as hoards of laughing happy people bumped by him making their way to the receiving line like a wave of soundless, nameless faces passing him.

Distracted he saw them, the happy couple greeting person after person, family, friends, everyone clutching handfuls of rose petals tossing them playfully in air.

He watched in humble admiration as she whispered to Maria, her smile glowing like the stars that lit the dark skies at night like magic as crimson and white satin petals peppered her dark hair.

His feet refused to move as he watched her so effortlessly converse with each person showering them with her special unforced charm he always so admired.

Feeling a hand on his back and a gentle arm around his waist he turned to see Kyle and Sara beside him.

Kyle with a supportive calmness that always seemed to emulate in him smiled warmly at Max as he pulled his Sara’s strawberry blonde hair from her freckled shoulder to bring her closer.

“You did great, no need to stand in that line, you can sit in my car if you like, get your barring’s till the photographer is ready.”

Max’s heart sank forgetting about that part, how he’d have to force a smile over and over while some asshole belts our words of encouragement like "say cheese and happy!”

He rather be stuck in alley with a blood thirsty alien with nothing but a blade and his anger truth be told than suffer through this.

Limping off to Kyle’s SUV he passed by Isabel who hugged him a little too tight whispering how proud she was of him for doing so well.

As well as his mom and dad who awkwardly padded his back in a stiff hug as if he were a stranger the glaring distrusting stare of his father not going unnoticed.

It was only when he heard the tiny voice of the little girl who had stolen his heart behind him that he felt any kind of relief.

“Uncle Max! Wait up!”

Turning around his face lit up as he looked down at the flaxen curly haired girl who was standing proudly in her white suit and tie.

“Did you see me Uncle Max? Were you watching? “ Her voice rising waiting impatiently for his approval.

Lifting her up into his arms he grimaced slightly as the pain in back shot through him unforgivingly.

“Lily, you were perfect, no one could ask for a better flower girl.” He sweetly replied brushing back a stray blonde hair from her bright blue eyes.

Titling her head to the side she clasped both sides of his face with the small palms of her hands disapprovingly.

“You mean flower person, I am not some silly weak girly girl Uncle Max, I mean seriously look at my awesome suit! Don’t I look cool? “

Her serious tone was not lost on him as he tried desperately to suppress the laughter that was forcing its way up his charred throat.

“You look very cool, that outfit suits you my sweet Lily, I’m very impressed you convinced your mom to cave and let you wear it.”

Still holding his face she rolled her eyes as if that was even an issue, “Momma was easy, I just promised not to use my magic at the wedding and that was all it took.”

His face fell sagging between her tiny fingers as his eyes lowered to the ground wondering if he should say what was on his mind or if it was even his place.

He wanted to tell her that she should always use her powers, at the very least in case she needed to defend herself.

He wanted to stare deep into eyes and warn her, protect her with the truth.

There is no safe, especially for hybrids walking this planet like you and me my love.

But he didn’t, the last thing he needed was his sister pissed at him, it was going to be hard enough to get through this day.

Just then she released his face as if feeling the whirlwind of emotions inside him.

Her sapphire worried eyes cast upwards catching his heavy disenchanted stare.

“You still don’t know do you?”

Placing her forehead to his she sighed like a gentle warm breeze across his skin.

“She is already yours Uncle Max, she always was, she’s waiting for you… it’s you that needs the courage to risk your broken heart.”

Flickering his surprised eyes up to her knowing stare he watched as she nodded slowly as if all had been revealed to her.

“I wish it were that simple Lily, how I wish.” He replied dryly as if already defeated.

Pressing her lips to his ear he felt her lips raise to a wide smile. “Oh but it is Uncle Max, it is so very simple.”

Before he could question the meaning of her riddle she was whisked away by Jessie despite her cries of disapproval.

“No, no wait daddy! He has to know!” she bellowed to no avail.

One darting angered glare of her father was all it took as Max raised his hand to wave goodbye to Lily, his little angel.

Refusing to look back knowing Charlie must be near her now, he stepped up into Kyle’s car and rested his head back closing his weary eyes.

Lily’s encouraging words danced in his head as he held his hands over his legs attempting to summon his healing powers once again.

'She is already yours… waiting for you… risk your broken heart.'

jake17
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: Vanished (CC,M/L,Adult) *REPOST* Chpt 20 12/4/13

Post by jake17 »

Chapter twenty

Kelly Clarkson, Addicted

It's like you're a drug
It's like you're a demon I can't face down
It's like I'm stuck
It's like I'm running from you all the time
And I know I let you have all the power
It's like the only company I seek is misery all around
It's like you're a leech
Sucking the life from me
It's like I can't breathe
Without you inside of me
And I know I let you have all the power
And I realize I'm never gonna quit you over time

It's like I can't see anything
Nothing but you
I'm addicted to you
It's like I can't think
Without you interrupting me
In my thoughts
In my dreams
You've taken over me
It's like I'm not me
It's like I'm not me

It's like I'm lost
It's like I'm giving up slowly
It's like you're a ghost that's haunting me
Leave me alone
And I know these voices in my head
Are mine alone
And I know I'll never change my ways
If I don't give you up now

Nothing but you
I'm addicted to you
It's like I can't think
In my thoughts
In my dreams
You've taken over me
It's like I'm not me
It's like I'm not me

I'm hooked on you
I need a fix
I can't take it
Just one more hit
I promise I can deal with it
I'll handle it, quit it
Just one more time
Then that's it
Just a little bit more to get me through this
I'm hooked on you
I need a fix
I can't take it
Just one more hit
I promise I can deal with it
I'll handle it, quit it
Just one more time
Then that's it
Just a little bit more to get me through this

Nothing but you
I'm addicted to you
It's like I can't think
In my thoughts
In my dreams
You've taken over me
It's like I'm not me
It's like I'm not me

~ it’s like I can’t breathe, it’s like I can’t see anything … nothing but you ~

Leaning against the rough bark of a willow tree delicate lime colored leaves gently lying across his slumped over shoulders, Max couldn’t help but stare at her.

His brandy intense eyes lost in her beauty, the essence of her soul crashing into him as powerful as lightening coursing back and forth between them.

How she could not feel it too, but then again lightening doesn’t give you a big house on a hill and barbeques on Sunday’s, he thought to himself tragically.

“Liz.” he breathed out sighing deeply desperate to say her name out loud as his body responded without even the honor of laying a hand on her.

Not that it didn’t cross his mind…touching her, kissing her… every part of her, relentlessly, like a loop playing torturously in his mind.

Letting his vision blur he pictured her up against that tree his body pressed lightly against her, feeling her sweet breath sweeping across his face.

Falling effortlessly deep into his fantasy he could almost taste her on his lips, on the tip of his tongue, like sweet melon, honey and sugar; it was almost too much to take as he inwardly groaned.

She haunted every part of him, every broken lost piece of what was left of his heart and soul, nothing was spared.

His mind spun with her whispers of love, her dizzying scent surrounding him, taunting him mercilessly, her sensuous body there for the taking … except it wasn’t.

She wasn’t his, she belonged to another now, but no matter how he reminded himself of this major detail, it didn’t lessen the fact that she was in him, a part of him, the only one he’d ever want or love.

Rubbing his aching leg from the fracture that refused to heal back in Kyle’s SUV, too drained to sustain the power he needed, he was left to suffer through this day in more ways than one.

Slowly opening his eyes he hissed as everything painfully resumed back to normal, sharply focused into the raw reality of truth.

He was fixated on her every move, it was torture, a searing torment he hated but craved all at once.

Her presence was like air to his lungs, rhythm to his beating heart, vital to his dreary existence, a necessary angst.

Still he wouldn’t have given up one second spent with her in exchange for his pain, his only regret, his only true remorse… never making love to her.

Digging his fingers into the rough bark he let out a shuddered breath knowing he would never touch that part of her.

To feel her warm and wet, to be inside, feeling her bare glistening body writhe and bow below him, being the cause of her trembling walls and blissful moans.

It was a bitter pill he could not yet swallow, or accept, relenting to this fact he feared would break him, so he would continue to live through useless dreams of her.

Letting his head fall back he punched the unforgiving sharp edges of the bark in frustration.

He was a true freak, a grown man, a virgin, taken from this world before having tasted the intimacy he so desperately needed.

Tears stung his sensitive eyes knowing that another man would know this heaven, this gift that was meant for him, for them alone to share.

Jerking his head up shaken by the sudden sound of Isabel’s voice coming up from behind him he felt his heart begin to race as sweat lined the tips of his thick black hair that hung over his sullen eyes.

Another panic attack, another symptom of the freak that he was, another reminder of the outsider he would always be.

“What happened, did you dress yourself with your feet this morning?” Her cheery voice was like a knife plugging into his temple.

Winking she began to pull his loosened black tie back into the proper tight knot around his neck as she attempted to smooth out his wrinkled suit jacket.

“The photographer is going to need you soon, do you think you can handle this Max?”

Her voice rang with true sincerity and concern which made him feel even more pathetic than he already did.

“Everyone looks so good, I’m going to stick out, ruin the pictures… maybe I should just sit this one out.”

Her warm blue eyes flickered up towards him as he held his hand over the jagged scar etched into the side of his face.

“Nonsense Max, this is a memory of their special day, having you here is part of that… don’t you understand what that means to all of us? What that means to Michael?”

Holding up his hand in defeat he winced as he pushed himself away from the tree following her to join everyone.

Shoving his hands in his pockets he stood off to the side unsure of where he should be, unable to add to the conversations that were happening all around him.

He just couldn’t fake it, not even for his brother, not today…and for that he was ashamed.

“Ok we’re going to need the groom and the best man; we’ll do the boys first then a few with the entire wedding party, before we start with the parents.”

Max curled his fists inside his pockets wanting so much to plunge a knife in this guy’s eye socket.

Fuck! he growled inside his head hating every second of this as he awkwardly limped towards the group that couldn’t be happier.

Taking his place next to Michael he angled his head to the side trying his hardest to hide his disfiguring scar.

“Excuse me sir… we really need everyone standing straight, please look right at me!”

The dorky photographer widened his eyes when Max glared at him giving him a look as if he could disembowel him in a matter of seconds.

That was the last he heard from the bow tied middle age man holding the camera as he took several shots while Max died a little inside.

Little was he to know it was going to get much worse.

“Ok can we please have one with the bride, the maid of honor and the groom and best man?”

The four of them standing there it was impossible not to think back to them as teenagers.

Like the sharpest blade Max felt the cut deep in his gut as he sensed Michael’s arm around him and heard Liz and Maria laughing as if not having a care in the world.

Pulling Maria in close Liz smiled brightly as she winked so only her best friend could see.

“So I guess I now have to refer to you as Mrs. Guerin… that is just too disturbing, I actually think Mr. Deluca has a nice ring to it.” Liz giggled as she leaned over to kiss Michael on the cheek. “Only kidding, you know I love you Michael.”

Lifting his chin up towards Liz giving her a knowing nod Michael wrapped his arm tightly around his bride’s waist pulling her in close.

“I admit it, she’s the boss. I know my place. I’m just happy that she’s officially mine now.”

With that he captured her lips causing everyone around them to start spontaneously clapping.

It wasn’t like Max wasn’t happy for them, he wanted nothing more than Michael to have this incredible life, especially after what he had been through, with Hank and never really feeling as if he had a family of his own.

And Maria truly look beautiful, of course dressed in a plunging white slip gown flaring out at the bottom , sexy and flirty, a perfect fit, far from anything traditional.

He had never seen her so happy, finally after all the turmoil they went through they had made it, they ended up together.

Max glanced over at the framed black and white picture of Alex placed respectively near the flowered alter where they were wed.

He was lost for a moment staring into his kind eyes knowing how close he was to being just an image, an innocent boy captured in a time when he thought his life would be spent with his love.

After several painful shots of forced smiles it was finally over with everyone making their way to the reception, which was held at one of the fancier halls in nearby Albuquerque.

Once inside it was easier to get lost among the many people milling around dancing and drinking up a storm.

The dimly lit beautifully decorated room was adorned with fragrant Gardenias and pink roses, twinkly tiny white lights were strewn along the ceiling resembling stars in the night sky.

It was magical, romantic beyond words and too much for Max to handle.

Knowing it was pure luck that he hadn’t bumped into Charlie as of yet he didn’t want to push his luck.

Through one of the small windows in the hall he could barely make out a much smaller room with a bar just big enough for six chairs.

It was dark and obviously not being used on this day.

Grabbing his second beer, the first he drank down in one swig he glanced over at Jim hugging Maria.

He smiled to himself thinking back to how Valenti had tried so hard to get their secret out of her, now he was the one walking her down the aisle at her wedding.

It’s funny how some things can change so drastically and others stay exactly the same.

This thought ran through his mind as he caught Liz bending down to fix the strap on her shoe.

His stomach rumbled as if he was sixteen all over again flipping like somersaults at just the sight of her thigh that peaked out from the high slit of her dress.

How someone could be so sexy and incredibly elegant, refined in the most graceful way was something that he was convinced was a gift only she could possess.

Fearing Charlie was nearby Max grabbed his bottle of beer and wandered down the empty hallway to the locked room he had noticed through the window in the ball room.

Resting his hand along the lock a soft red flicker of light shone in the dark as the door popped open.

Grimacing as he lifted his leg to sit upon the high stool he leaned his elbows on the mahogany bar resting his forehead on the back of his hand over the bottle.

It had be over a week since he had heard the voice of the alien that he knew was following him.

He almost wished it would show itself so he could get some his frustration out.

It felt like forever since he had seen the stain of blood on his hands, felt the life drain from one of those souless beasts.

Squeezing his eyes shut he realize just how sick his thoughts were.

The worst part was it was all really just a distraction, because all he could think of …all he wanted was her.

“Max?”

Snapping open his tired eyes he felt the air leave his lungs at the sound of her voice.

Nervously he knocked over his beer sending it streaming off the edge of the bar onto the floor as he spun around to face her.

Letting out a shaky breath he chewed anxiously on his bottom lip before breathing out her name in a deep hoarse tone full of all the feelings he had bottled up inside him.

Trailing his heated stare up from her toes to her beautiful smile he shoved his hands in his pockets worried that she would see them tremble.

“Liz… w-what, I mean is everything ok?” he stammered hopelessly as he fell lost in her beauty.

Angling her head to the bottle that was laying on its side, her gaze turned to a look of confusion.

“I was just going to ask you the same thing. I thought alcohol was – “

Cutting her off imaging Charlie somewhere close he shook his head.

“Not anymore, something must have changed in me since I’ve been gone, or maybe it was the trip back, who knows, anyway… it doesn’t affect me like before.”

Nodding once she walked closer causing him to avert his eyes to the ground again.

Resting the tips of her fingers on his knee she gazed up towards him through long dark unforgiving eye lashes.

He could barely breathe as she brushed his long hair away from his eyes and the scar that he was trying so hard to hide.

“So, I get why you’re in here by yourself, too many people, too many questions… I don’t blame you Max…but…”

Her voice was soft but determined as she lifted his arm pulling his hand from the restrains of his pocket.

“I want to dance with you.”

Tilting his head to the side he gazed up at her confused until it all came to him.

“Listen I know that the wedding party is supposed to dance after the bride and groom, but … I can’t dance, just grab Charlie, I’m sure no will care if he takes my place.”

He scoffed, his chest tightening painfully realizing the irony of his words.

Moving closer she laced her fingers through his edging him off the stool.

“The wedding party already did their dance, we couldn’t find you.”

Lifting his golden eyes towards the door he glanced back at her now standing looking down at him as if she could see right through him.

Needing to fill the silent space between them he cleared his throat anxiously.

“How did you find me?” his voice lowered as her perfume wrapped around him invading his senses.

Running her fingers slowly down his tie over his chest she whispered softly.

“I can feel you too Max, I’ve felt your eyes on me all day.”

Her voice was breathy, sultry, like satin caressing his skin.

Speechless his lips parted as he felt everything around him melt away until the only thing saw was her staring up at him.

“Dance with me.” She whispered longingly.

Swallowing hard he broke his stare wondering what the hell was going on.

“What about Charlie?” he stated plainly tired of playing games.

Releasing his tie she flashed her dark entrancing eyes up towards him before turning to walk back down the hallway.

Angling her body sideways she held onto the doorframe glancing over her shoulder almost stopping his heart completely.

Her raven hair kissed the golden skin of her bare shoulder as she paused for what seemed like forever.

“I’m not with Charlie anymore.”

She smiled slightly, knowingly towards him whispering those four words he would never forget before disappearing down the hall.

“Dance with me Max.”