Was Michael Abusive?

Michael and Maria fighting/making up do it for you? Then enter the M&M Zone.

Moderators: Island Breeze, Forum Moderators

Crystalbehr
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Was Michael Abusive?

Post by Crystalbehr »

I was listening to Majandra and Shiri talk on the commnetary for Crazy. and They went on and on about how they though Brendan's character was abusive to Majandra's. They also said how Michael and Maria's relationship was a bad influence on young teenage girls. I dunno I didn't see it that way. What do you all think?
Later Days!
AmberEyed51
Enthusiastic Roswellian
Location: In Colorado, wearing my foil hat, waiting for the aliens to take me away...

Post by AmberEyed51 »

Hmmm. Touchy subject. I really don't think their relationship was abusive, nor a bad influence. I do believe though, that in some ways, maybe watching the show led some naive girls so think that it was ok to be dragged into a janitor's closet *or eraser room* just to hook up with a guy you like. But if your being careful, you know your limits, and you have everything under control, I don't see anything wrong with havin' a bit o fun with your guy.

Michael was stubborn, and sometimes a smart-ass, but I really don't see any kind of 'bad influence' on teenage girls because of it. I was 12 when that episode aired *I'm 17 now* and it never affected me in anyway. Possibly in a stero-typical nature, I can see how they would think that though.

But I'm right there with 'ya Crystal. But no matter what you're always gonna get controversial with that topic. Some think that Maria and Michael having sex when they were in highschool was morally wrong, and it wasn't healthy for t.v. And many think Michael and Maria's relationship shouldn't be accepted because of some of the choices they made.

I really don't agree with those though, I think Maria and Michael's relationship was true, and pure, and occasionally pretty steamy. ;)
<center>Image
"It's about reaching out to people, and showing them there's still hope left in this world."
Glenn Quinn 1970-2002
Glenn, You're Always With Me</center>
AngelicFairy
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by AngelicFairy »

Hmmm. Touchy subject. I really don't think their relationship was abusive, nor a bad influence. I do believe though, that in some ways, maybe watching the show led some naive girls so think that it was ok to be dragged into a janitor's closet *or eraser room* just to hook up with a guy you like. But if your being careful, you know your limits, and you have everything under control, I don't see anything wrong with havin' a bit o fun with your guy.

Michael was stubborn, and sometimes a smart-ass, but I really don't see any kind of 'bad influence' on teenage girls because of it. I was 12 when that episode aired *I'm 17 now* and it never affected me in anyway. Possibly in a stero-typical nature, I can see how they would think that though.

But I'm right there with 'ya Crystal. But no matter what you're always gonna get controversial with that topic. Some think that Maria and Michael having sex when they were in highschool was morally wrong, and it wasn't healthy for t.v. And many think Michael and Maria's relationship shouldn't be accepted because of some of the choices they made.

I really don't agree with those though, I think Maria and Michael's relationship was true, and pure, and occasionally pretty steamy.
You know, I don't even have to type anything now, because I agree with everything you said. lol. :) As for M&M's relationship being abusive. I never saw it that way. If Michael had turned into a girlfriend beater I would, but he didn't. They were just two people who had issues that had to learn how to be in a relationship together.

As for people thinking it was a bad influence, well I was pretty young when I started to watch Roswell. And I loved Michael & Maria the most even then. Like AmberEyed51 I can honestly say it never affected me in any way.

What did Shiri & Majandra actually say on the DVD's? I watched them, but I could of sworn they were talking about both the M/M & the M/L relationships. You know when they were requesting new love interests for their characters? And I can't go back and re-watch because I lent my DVD's to someone else. So could somebody tell me what was said?... All I remember really was Shiri & Maj admiring Jason's body. lol.

As for people thinking M&M's relationship was "abusive". Well the Anti-Candies will always spew that garbage, until the day they decide to leave the fandom. Who cares? It doesn't make me love M&M any less. Just like I'm a fan of BTVS and of the Buffy/Angel relationship which has been labelled some pretty bitchy things too. But I like Buffy/Angel. :?
I think Brendan actually thought it was "morally wrong" didn't he? Didn't he used to believe you should wait to be married before having sex?
Hmmm. Touchy subject.
It is, definitely. This has been argued over before on another board. It got really nasty. So lets try and keep this a calm discussion girls. :)
Crystalbehr
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by Crystalbehr »

oh wow. I didn't know that it was a touchy subject. I just thought of it as a subject.

I overreacted a little. On the commentary. Shiri and Maj didn't go on and on about abusiveness. Majandra just said in a kinda jokingly voice that she hoped her and Michaels relationship didn't give a negative influence on young teenage girls. If you wanted to find it it would probably be somewhere in the episode Crazy not sexual healing. In a Michael Maria scene

I agree with you girls and since I was like 17 when I started watching the show. I have to say that It never affected me either. I guess it did affect some people since it's a touchy issue.

Sorry if I offended anyone.

It was still some good commentary and it was really funny
Later Days!
CandyDreamQueen
Addicted Roswellian

Post by CandyDreamQueen »

Didn't she say it on the "Shiri and Majandra Show" on the second season dvd too?
AngelicFairy
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by AngelicFairy »

agree with you girls and since I was like 17 when I started watching the show. I have to say that It never affected me either. I guess it did affect some people since it's a touchy issue.
I think it's just a touchy subject because it reminds me of the Dreamer Vs. Candy shipper wars way back when. Where "Michael & Maria's relationship was abusive" was like the main topic of the Anti-Candies. It wasn't pretty. :(
Sorry if I offended anyone.

It was still some good commentary and it was really funny
I'm pretty sure you didn't offend anyone, here. :D And I liked the commentary too. The parts about Brendan's hair was funny. And the comments about Jason's body. :wink:
Didn't she say it on the "Shiri and Majandra Show" on the second season dvd too?
Actually I think your right. I'm pretty sure it was said on the Shiri & Majandra show. :)
AmberEyed51
Enthusiastic Roswellian
Location: In Colorado, wearing my foil hat, waiting for the aliens to take me away...

Post by AmberEyed51 »

I'm glad I didn't offend anyone either Lol

And Crystal, don't worry babe, your o.k. ;) It's just that I've met so many people who get WAY into things. It's a show. A remarkable show. It's meant to be fun, you know? lol. So people just tend to take things a little too seriously.

And as for that whole Brendan thing saying "he didn't want to do the sex scene" or something like that, I've always heard rumors, but I've never found proof of one. I guess we'll just never know :D....
<center>Image
"It's about reaching out to people, and showing them there's still hope left in this world."
Glenn Quinn 1970-2002
Glenn, You're Always With Me</center>
maxandliz4ever1357
Obsessed Roswellian
Location: Backpacking through Europe (ok so I'm not, but I wish I were)

Post by maxandliz4ever1357 »

I never, ever thought about M&M relationship like that. I have to admit that I'm mainly a dreamer, and i accidently came to M&M sight, but this topic caught my eye. I love Max and Liz, but Maria and Michael's realtionship was great too :D . I always thought of them as Maria breaking through all the walls Michael put up, and persisting even when he ignored her. I thought they were sweet and funny(with all the bickering :) and the fact that they are complete opposites), and i don't think it was a bad influence on anybody.
dreamer19

Post by dreamer19 »

I don't think that Michael and Maria's relationship was abusive at all. I can't remember any time that Michael as ever verbally abused Maria. There definitely was no physical violence. I think Majandra and Shiri were right about not presenting relationships in a more positive way. I think both Maria and Liz just let themselves get walked all over. The guys at times would treat them crappy and they would still take them back. I think it sent a message that girl's will have low self-esteem and low standards for themselves. But, I still don't think abusive is a good term to describe Michael and Maria's relationship.
LovinGuerin2Much
Addicted Roswellian

Post by LovinGuerin2Much »

I think both Maria and Liz just let themselves get walked all over. The guys at times would treat them crappy and they would still take them back. I think it sent a message that girl's will have low self-esteem and low standards for themselves. But, I still don't think abusive is a good term to describe Michael and Maria's relationship.

I feel exactly like Dreamer19.....it wasnt abusive... was he a jerk to her sometimes yea..... but in no way abusive I think..... I loved them together they still are my favorite couple.