The House (AU, ADULT, M/L) ~{COMPLETE}~

Finished stories that feature the characters from the show, but there are no aliens. All fics completed on the main AU without Aliens board will eventually be moved here.

Moderators: Anniepoo98, Rowedog, ISLANDGIRL5, Itzstacie, truelovepooh, FSU/MSW-94, Erina, Hunter, Forum Moderators

Lady Scorpio
Addicted Roswellian

The House (AU, ADULT, M/L) ~{COMPLETE}~

Post by Lady Scorpio »

Thanks to Dreaming In Purple and Strawbehrry Shortcake for thinking of me and providing this lovely banner!!!!!!!!

The House

Category: M/L and the rest of the gang
Rating: MATURE-ADULT

Disclaimer: I once again, own nothing. Roswell belongs to whoever thought of it, and the major UPN folks. Any parts of this story that resembles anyone else’s story is clearly a coincidence, and I mean no harm. I’m just a lonely Dreamer, who misses Roswell.

Summary: Liz and Maria just purchased a house together, when there new home needs a little work, Liz is instantly drawn to the handsome handman. There is one problem though, and she goes by the name of Amber.

Feedback? Always Appreciated

Chapter 1

“I can’t believe I’m even considering this” Liz mumbled as she walked around the spacious living room of the house. Walking over to the large picture window, she smiled brightly at the sight before her. Across the street, there was a huge park, and it was filled with laugthing children as they swung on the swings or dangled from the monkey bars. She always loved kids, and hoped one day to have tons of her own, but that would require her to be married, or have a man for that matter, she sighed to herself. Pushing away from the window, she turned to hear earger footsteps approaching.

“Oh my god liz, this is perfect” Maria, her best friend since birth shrieked as she came barging excitedly into the room. Liz looked past her friend to Joe, the realtor. Liz couldn’t see how he had managed to keep his job. The man was a down right pig. Liz wasn’t always quick to judge a person before she got a chance to know them, but when Maria had first pulled up to the brownstone, he had been religously stratching his private, and then insisted on shaking their hands. Liz was grateful that she remembered her trail size bottle of Purell. If that wasn’t worse, he went out his way to let them know about his date the night before, right down to every detail of the way his lady friend pleasured him. He had no manners, and he didn’t know when not to open his mouth. He didn’t make it a secret that he had a thing for Maria the way his eyes constantly linger on her butt or the way he kept calling her doll or suga. Liz believed it was his attraction to her friend that they were even getting the opportunity to look at the house. No way was anyone interested in giving to recently college graduates a chance at a $200,000 house with no credit. No doubt her friend had used the DeLuca charm to get them an appoint with E&G Reality.

Joe was leaning against the doorframe watching the two of them, well more like watching Maria. His eyes forwarded her every way she went.

“Maria” she turn her attention back to her friend. “Don’t you think that the asking price is a little out of our price range” she tried to reason with her.

“Ahh come on Liz” Maria begged her, gasping her wrist in her hands. “We can so do this....I mean you just got that great job, and I’ll be teaching at the Academy of Arts in two weeks.....we can do this, pleeeaaaassseeee” she gave Liz her best puppy dog eyes, and pouted her lips. Liz always had a weak spot for Maria’s big emerald green eyes, and she knew just how to use them to get what she wanted. But Liz wasn’t about to cave so easily this time like all the other times. This was a big decision for them to be making, and she didn’t want them to jump into something they couldn’t handle. She had to admit, the place was beautiful. It had four bedrooms two on the first floor, and two on the main floor. The two bedrooms upstairs could serve as an apartment on their own. They were huge. The one that Maria had given her, had its own bath, that came with a huge bathroom with a whirlpool tub, but that wasn’t the thing that had grabbed Liz about the room. No, it was the french doors that lead to the most breathtaking balcony ever.

Sure she had, had a balcony back at home in New Mexico, but the scenery she would be greeted with each morning from her room, was a cry more beautiful then the old red brick building back home. Each morning, she would be greeted with the lovely view of the lake, as the trees surrounded its edges and the ducks chasing each other playfully. She could definitely see herself watching many sunsets right there on that balcony. Their also was a spacious kitchen, her favorite place in the whole world, besides the lab. Liz loved to cook, and Maria graciously let her, since she couldn’t tell the difference between a spatula and a ladle. The living room and dining room were great for entertaining. Loud laughter came through the open window, another reason Liz was finding it hard to say no to her best friend. But even with all those perks, Liz was always the cautious one. She was the one that thought before she acted, and it had saved Maria and her butt plenty of times during their high school and college lives. Maria was the spare of the moment type, always jumping into action without thinking of her actions consequences. That was why Liz was stuck with Pepper, their 150lb salt and pepper Akita. She and Maria had been coming out of a café one day, and were making their way down the street, when Maria had shrieked beside her. Liz had turned to see what was wrong, and a hairy face was thrust in her face.

“Isn’t she the cutest thing Liz” Maria cooed, making kissy faces at the small puppy. Liz looked up at the store ‘Al’s Pet Store.” Liz moaned loudly as she watched her best friend fall in love with the wet nose creature. She knew exactly were this was heading,

“Can we keep her Liz” Maria begged.

“No!”

“Oh come on Lizzie....she’s just the precious thing....aren’t you.....aren’t you...that’s mommies girl.....tell auntie Liz you’ll be a good girl....”

So they both stood there, giving her the saddest eyes, and Liz didn’t have the heart to tell either no. After two nights of Pepper’s whining, Maria had brought her into Liz’s room, begging her to make her stop. From that night on, Pepper had slept with Liz, and Maria hardly paid any attention to her. This was different then having a dog, this was buying a house, and Liz wasn’t sure if they were ready for that. Sure she had a great career as head researcher at Pharmalab, and they paid her extremely well, but she had only started six months ago, and she didn’t want to add stress in her life that purchasing a house would no doubt cause. Seeing that she wasn’t winning Liz over, Maria pulled out the big guns.

“Wait, before you say no, there’s one more room I want to show you” not giving her a chance to decline, Maria pulled Liz by the arm and dragged her down the hall. Joe followed them obediently. They stopped in front of a door, that Liz must have overlooked her first time around.

“What is this” she asked, gesturing towards the door.

“Just the best part of the house” Maria beamed. “Joe” Maria nodded to him, and he fished the keys out of his pocket. Slipping the key into the lock, he pushed the door opened and stepped aside.

“The switch is just at the bottom of the stairs...be careful” Joe instructed as they started down the dark stairwell. Liz held on tightly to Maria’s hand as she followed her blindly down the stairs.

“Umph” she expelled when she ran into Maria’s back when she stopped suddenly. “Sorry” she mumbled. Maria searched around for the switch, trying to remember its placement from her visit earlier last week. Finally her hand connected with it, and she flipped it on. She waited, and was rewarded with Liz’s audible in take of breathe. Maria smiled triumphantly when she watched Liz walked around the room, her hands gliding over the table. Liz turned wide, excited eyes to her.

“How..what..wow!” Liz couldn’t believe it. Turning around in a circle, she couldn’t believe the sight before her. There, resting right beneath their would-be home was a fully equipt lab.

“Joe said that the previous owner was a scientist, but his wife hated the fact that he would spend hours on end at the lab at work, so she had talked to some contractor about turning their basement into a lab for him so that he could spend more time with their family....when he died suddenly of a heart attack one week before the room was complete, she didn’t have the heart come down here without him. When she and her kids moved back to stay with her parents, she left everything the way it was, hoping that someone would find use for it like her husband would have loved” Maria doubt that Liz was even listening, because she was currently at the moment going through the cabinets, that contained plenty of beakers and cylinders.

“How sad” Liz mumbled, half listening to what Maria was saying. She squatted down and looked thru th multiple cabinets under the lab table. Maria just stood back and watched her.

“I figure since you like to spend so much time at the lab, and your always complaining about having to spend so much time in the lab with Neil waiting on results, that if you had your own place to work you wouldn’t have to sleep at the lab so much. You know how bad the sofa in the lab sucks” Maria went on with the practice speech she had formulated.

“Whoa!” Liz exhaled breathlessly, pulling the large case our from under the table.

“What?” Maria came to stand beside her. Liz fumbled with the case, while mumbling ‘this can’t be real’ under her breath.

“What...what” she asked impatiently. Liz waved her off, and finally finding the right switch, she slowly opened the case. Her heart nearly stopped at the sight presented before her.

“Damn, that thing must cost a lot” Maria stared down in envy at the expensive looking piece of equipment. Liz ran a shaky hand over the base, her eyes not believing what she was seeing.

“Liz.....Liz” Maria called out to her again for the third time. Liz, finally able to pull her eyes away, stared at her best friend.

“Maria, do you have any idea what this is” indicating the large case on the table. Maria smiled, she may not been a science guru like Liz, but she did know what it was.

Rolling her eyes, she gave Liz a pointed look. “It’s a microscope, even I know that.”

“Yeah, but it’s not just any microscope” she turned, carefully extracting the scope from its protective case. “This” she placed it on the table when Maria moved the case. “Is the Series R 1.3 megapixel digital microscope” she rushed out in one breath. Maria stared at her dumbly as Liz searched for an outlet. Finding one, Liz plugged it in. Searching through the case, she pulled out a slide. Reaching into her purse, she pulled out a small kit.

“Let me see your hand” Maria did as she requested, only to pull her hand back seconds later with a small yelp.

“Shit Liz, a little warning next time" she whined, sucking on the digit Liz had just pricked. Liz didn’t answer as she prepared the slide.

“God Liz, I don’t believe you carry that thing in your purse” referring to the small kit of supplies Liz had on her.

“I stay prepared” she shrugged, leaning over to view the slide.

“I don’t know what you’re looking for, my blood looks the same as it did the last time you experimented on me” Maria rolled her eyes. She was use to being Liz’s guinea pig. Every since she discovered the world the since at the age of six, Maria had been probed, poked and scraped to no end.

“Wow, the power of this thing is amazing” Liz whispered, viewing Maria’s slid.

“So what do you say Liz...you ready to sign those papers” Maria grinned. Liz stood up and glared at her friend.

“You are so cruel. You knew I wouldn’t be able to say no after seeing this” she grumbled, leaning back against the table.

“Oh my god Liz thank you.....thank you....thank you” she beamed, pulling Liz into a bear hug.

“Whoa...whoa, slow down” Liz laughed. “The asking price is still a little high for our pockets, so don’t go counting your eggs before they hatch” she warned.

“God you sound like my mother” Maria moaned.

“Yeah, and as your mother would say......’I only say these things because I love you” she grinned.

“Whatever” Maria shoved her shoulder playfully.

“Help me put this away, and then we can talk to Joe” together they packed up the microscope, and put it away.

“Whoa...watch your step” Liz warned as she tripped on a loose board on the stairs. The house was old, and there was several things that needed fixing.

“Let me do all the talking” Liz whispered as they walked towards Joe.

“I know...I know”

“So, have you ladies decided” his question was directed at Maria.

“What’s the asking price” Liz asked, shifting into business mode.

“250K” Joe answered firmly the way Mr. E had instructed him.

“Too high...200"

“I’m sorry Ms. Parker, but the price 250k”

“190..” Liz continued as if he hadn’t even spoken.

“250..” Joe said getting annoyed.

“185..” they went on like that for five minutes, and Maria knew how stubborn Liz could be, and they could possibly be at it all night if she didn’t step in.

“175..” Liz announced, fully prepared to battle it out all night.

“Come on Joe, I’m better sure that if you take the offer back to E&G Reality, they would accept” she swooed to his side, and batted her eyes up at him, and Liz rolled hers at the way he was falling for her tactics.

“I-I’ll see what I can do” he stumbled out.

Two months later, Maria and Liz were moving into their new home.

“Pepper....Pepper, bring me back my shoe” Liz shouted as she struggled with the box in her arms. Pepper had a fascination with shoes, and had just stole Liz’s as she came up the stairs.

“I told you not to were slides to move in, you know how she is” Maria had wised up and wore slip on sneakers, so that Pepper wouldn’t be attracted to her shoes by the shoestrings on normal shoes.

“That’s it, she’s going to the pound” Liz huffed, flopping down in the oversized armchair.

“Please, you say that at least three times a week, and she’s still here” Maria laughed.

“Well, this time I mean it” she glared at the culprit in question as she chewed on her shoe in the corner.

“Where do you want these” Kyle huffed, carrying three boxes in his arms.

“Kyle!” Liz jumped out of the chair to assist him.

“Let him be, he thinks he’s so macho, he doesn’t listen” Maria rolled her eyes at her brother.

“Shut up” Kyle retorted.

“Make me” Maria stuck her tongue out at him.

“You’re so immature” he mocked.

“I know you are, but what I'm I” Maria sung, loving the fact that she was annoying the hell out of her older brother. Liz sunk down to her knees and began sorting through the boxes he had brought in. She had learned to block them out years ago.

“What time did you say Joe said the handyman was suppose to be here” Maria asked as she struggled out of Kyle’s grip. Liz looked at her watch.

“He said he’ll be here around two” she replied. Seeing that they had enough time, Liz suggested that they make another trip out to the storage before she was to meet with the director at the lab.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“This was not how I planned to spend my weekend Maxwell” Michael complained as he toted the large picture glass up the stairs.

“Stop bitching, it’s not like you had anything better to do. Besides, I saved your ass from having to decided fabric swatches with Izzy” Max chuckled.

“I guess your right, but you owe me dinner after this”

“Deal” Max looked across the street at the park, and smiled. The little girl felt his eyes on him, and turn from playing with her friend and gave him a big smile. Max could only smile back since his hands were currently occupied.

“So what are the new owners like” Michael inquired as they gently sat down the glass, waiting on Max to fish out the keys. They carried the glass up the stairs into the house.

“I don’t know” he wiped the sweat from his brow with the cover of his shirt . “All Joe said was it was a couple of woman” he shrugged his shoulders.

“Must be a couple of bow wow’s if they’re living by their selves” then a thought occurred to him “or lesbians. Hey you think they’d let us join in” he wiggled his eyebrows suggestively, hope glimmering in his eyes.

“You’re sick, you know that” Max shook his head at his friend, and failed at hiding his smile.

“Whatever, you know you’re wondering the same thing. Face it Max, you act all innocent and pure, but I know you’re a closet freak, and Amber’s the proof” Michael slapped him on the back, before grabbing his tool box. Max stared out the window at the aforementioned, and watched her as she chased after a little boy. His heart swelled at the sight of her. She was his everything, and if he was given the chose on rather or not to change the last seven years of his life, he would always make the same decision, he would always chose Amber. Grabbing his tools, he headed upstairs to the master bedroom to fix the leaking sink.

“What happened to you” Michael laughed when he saw Max’s soaked form some two hours later.

“The pipe kinda of got away from me” he sighed, running his hand through his wet hair. He pulled off his shirt and wrung it out in the sink. Michael searched through one of the boxes strolled around the kitchen and tossed him a towel, hoping that the owners didn’t mind. Max was lucky he had on an A shirt, and it wasn’t as completely drenched. He laid it across the back of one of the dining room chairs. He couldn’t say the same for his shoe which had been caught in the small flood he had caused. Sitting a piece of plastic on the seat, he sat down and slipped off his shoes.

“Looks like the handyman’s here” Maria observed when they pulled up to the house.

“Good. Remind me to tell him about the loose board on the basement stairs” Liz told her as she jumped out of the truck. She waved to Kyle as he pulled up behind them in his truck, both vehicles loaded with boxes. Kyle went around to the passengers side of his truck and opened the door. No sooner had he opened it, Pepper jumped out of the truck, and hurried up the steps into the house.

“Hey Kyle, do all your dates run away like that” Maria joked as she grabbed a box from the truck.

“Ha..ha” he glared, and grabbed a box of his own. Liz threw the duffle bag over her shoulder, and followed Pepper in the house, leaving the to DeLuca children to the squabbling.

“You think you’re so smart don’t you” she heard behind her as they continued to argue.

“Hey, that’s mine” they heard a masculine voice shout from the kitchen. They all dropped their boxes and rushed into the kitchen. They didn’t know rather to laugh or be completely mortified at the sight before them. A man stood in the middle of the kitchen, wrestling with Pepper for what appears to be his shoe, and another one was standing terrified on the kitchen island, shouting ‘keep that thing away from me.’

“Pepper!” Liz admonished her. Trying to get her to release the mans shoe. Maria and Kyle were standing in the doorway holding on to each other and their sides as they rolled with laughter. Max continued to play tug-o-war with the dog, while trying to calm Michael in the same process. They had been talking about some more prospects, when they heard the tiny nails scraping across the hardwood floor. Before either of them knew what was happening, a blur of black and white fur rushed by, and stole his shoe from were it had been dangling from his hand. Michael had taken one look at the dog, and jumped fearfully on top of the island. Every since they were little, Michael has been down right terrified of dogs. When they were eight, Michael had been attacked by a dog in their neighborhood, and had barely escaped with his life. The owners had insisted that the dog was very friendly, and they didn’t understand why he had went after Michael the way he did. Max had never told anyone, not even Michael, that he had witness the way Michael would taunt and tease the dog when he thought no one was looking, and that was exactly what he had been doing that day. Teasing the dog with a piece of ham, and the chain had broke, and the door was all over him. Max had beat the dog to death with a 4x4, and Michael had been hospitalized for four days and left with a nice scar under his left eye to remind him of that day.

Max barely realized that there was others in the room, all he was focused on was retrieving his shoe from the mouth of this dog that appeared out of nowhere.

“Don’t pull, you’ll only make it worse” Liz instructed as she pulled on Peppers collar. Finally realizing someone was speaking to him, Max did as she said and let go. He watched as the dog ran out of the kitchen, his shoe in its mouth.

“I’m sorry about your shoe, I’ll replace them” Liz apologized, reaching into her purse. Max turned to the voice that appeared beside him, and looked down, and found himself staring into the most beautiful brown eyes he had ever seen. Liz’s voice caught in her throat, and she forgot what she was going to say when his eyes collided with her. They were the most beautiful pools of liquid gold she had ever seen. The two of them stared unmoved in the others eyes, and the world around them simply disappeared.

“Could you please get off our counter” Maria smirked at the large man. Michael shook his head.

“Not until that animal is gone” he stated, uncaring of what he looked like sitting on their counter.

“Don’t tell me You’re afraid of little ole Pepper” Maria laughed, scratching Pepper behind the ear.

“Little” Michael huffed. “That thing is a Clydesdale” he pointed at Pepper.

“You’re a wuss” Maria taunted, but handed Pepper over to Kyle, who was still trying to control his laughter as he lead the dog outside. Once he was sure it was safe, Michael hopped off the counter and quickly gather his things.

“Maxwell” Michael called irritable as he watched his friend go googly over the short brunette. Michael’s sharp voice reached his ears, and he blushed at being caught up in this woman he didn’t even know.

“What” he asked turning to his friend.

“I’m done with my part, I’m going across the street with Amber” he announced, not even bothering to introduce himself. Max stared after him, and then proceeded to apologize for his behavior.

“It’s no problem” Maria beamed, given Max the once over. “I’m Maria” she reached out her hand and he accepted.

“Max, and that was my friend Michael” Maria nudged Liz, who couldn’t tear her eyes away from the god before her. She took in his wet hair that had been slicked back. Her eyes lingered on the muscles that protruded out of the tiny A shirt and couldn’t hide the tiny moan that escaped her lips. Realized that she hadn’t moaned silently, her eyes shout to his in horror. Max smiled.

“The one that’s practically drooling over you is Liz” Maria smirked.

“Maria!” Liz shouted, wishing a whole would open up and swallow her.

“It’s nice to met you Liz” Max offered his hand, and she gently shook it. Max didn’t want to let go. Her hand felt so soft in his, and he wanted to hold on to her forever.

“Hey” Kyle smiled as he came in from the back. He wrapped his arm around Liz’s waist, causing her to release Max’s hand. “I tied Pepper up in the back. I’m going to get the rest of the boxes out of the truck, and then I have to head out” he kissed Liz on the temple, and Max glared in jealousy. He lowered his head at the unexpected emotions that coursed thru him.

“Dweeb” Maria yelled after her brother when he past by her and ruffled her hair. He knew how much she hated that. Finally finding her voice, Liz began apologizing profusely for Pepper’s behavior.

“I’m so sorry....she has a thing for shoes.......I took her to obedience school once, but she ended up stealing the instructors shoes and was banned from the class.....I’ll be more then happy to replace them...” Liz searched frantically in her purse for her wallet, and hadn’t realized she was rambling. “.....because I hate to tell you, that was the last you’ll see of that shoe..” she blew a aggravating strand of hair out of her eyes, missing Max’s smile. Maria stared on in amusement at the way her friend rumbled on and on. Usually Liz didn’t get all flustered over a guy, but Maria could tell she had been smitten by the gorgeous handyman from the moment he released his hold of the tug-o-war with Pepper. Maria watched her hands as they shook nervously, and she was turning red all over. Another thing was, Liz was searching frantically for her wallet, a wallet that Maria could clearly see sticking out of the side of her purse.

Taking pity on her friend, Maria walked over, and pulled said object from the side of her purse. Liz sent her a look that clearly said ‘thank you’ and Maria waved her off. Liz quickly pulled out a hundred, and pushed it towards him.

“I hope this will cover it” her eyes settling on his face. Max pushed the money back towards her.

“It’s okay, they were an old pair anyways” he chuckled.

“No, I insist”she shoved it back, this time her hand collided with his chest. She tried hard not to let the effects of his rippled chest show, but was failing hard. Maria rolled her eyes when they continued in that manner.

“Daddy!” a small voice called through the house. Max stopped his battering with Liz and answered.

“I’m in the kitchen sweetie” a few seconds later, a little girl around eight appeared in the doorway. Her long blonde locks pulled into two braids, that flowed down her back. She was wearing a pair of khaki cargo pants, much like her father’s, and a sparkling blue shirt with the word ‘Angel’ written across the front, matched perfectly with the ice blue oculus that were currently glaring hard at the two women.

“What happened” she demanded, rushing to her daddy’s side, ignoring both Liz and Maria. Her uncle Michael had told her about the incident with the dog and her daddy’s shoe, but he failed to mention that he was completely soaked. Pushing Liz aside, she wrapped her arms around Max’s waist.

“What did you do to him” she accused. Max rubbed his hand gently down her back, and sent Liz and Maria an apologetic look for her accusation.

“They didn’t do anything to me sweetie, and I believe you owe these two ladies and apology for being so rude” he admonished. Amber stared up at him, her eyes asking if she really had too. Max gave her a pointed look that she knew not to cross. Huffing, she turned towards them, crossing her arms definitely over her chest.

“Sorry” she mumbled. Again Max was forced to apologize for her behavior. He didn’t know what had gotten into her all of a sudden, but he was definitely going to find out. He placed his hands on her shoulders.

“Liz..Maria, this is my daughter Amber, Amber, this is Ms...” he raised and eyebrow to make sure he was giving them the proper title. He continued when they both nodded. “...Ms. Liz and Ms. Maria” he introduced them.

“Hey kiddo” Maria smiled, which Amber returned. Liz bent down to her level, and offered her hand to the little girl.

“Hi Amber, it’s very nice to meet you” she smiled. Amber looked down at her hand with disinterest, before turning and looking back up at Max.

“Daddy, I’m hungry” Liz pulled her hand back, and stood up, stuffing them in her pockets. Max couldn’t believe the way Amber was acting.

“Ok sweetie” Max scratched behind his ear, and looked towards Liz and Maria. “Um..” he began nervously “...who has the master bedroom” Liz took in his nervousness, and found herself grow nervous.

“I do” she answered timidly.

“Um, you might want to stay clear of the bathroom”

“Why, what happened” she became alarmed.

“Lets just say that me and the sink had a little battle, and the sink won” he joked. Liz closed her eyes, and groaned.

“Don’t worry, I’ll be back tomorrow to fix it” Amber’s head shot up at this.

“But you promised to take me to see ‘Brother Bear’ tomorrow” she pouted.

“And I will” he assured her. “But I have to come back and fix the miss I caused for Ms. Liz” Amber turned blazing eyes on Liz, and Liz was taken back by the hatred the little girl obviously had for her.

“I’m really sorry for the inconvenience, and like I said, I’ll be back tomorrow to fix it and any damage the water may have caused.”

“Ok” Liz sighed. Max found himself once again caught up in her beauty, and Liz couldn’t tear her eyes away from his golden orbs.

“Can we go now” Amber’s annoyed voice broke their staring contest. She didn’t like the looks passing between them.

“Sure honey...it was nice meeting you Maria...” finally acknowledging her presence, before his eyes settled on Liz. “..and you Liz” Liz blushed under his hypnotizing gaze. Amber huffed loudly, and tapped her foot impatiently against the floor. Clamping her fathers hand, and practically dragging him out of the kitchen.

“Bye ladies” Max called over his shoulder. Unknowingly to her father, Amber turned, and sent Liz an evil stare.

“Cute kid” Liz said sarcastically once they were out of earshot.

“Yeah....who knew Satan’s spawn could look so adorable” Maria joked.

“You’re so bad” Liz laughed.

“You have to admit, her daddy’s pretty hot though” Maria fanned herself and wiggled her eyes suggestively. Liz’s only response was to blush and go about her task of going through the multiple boxes laying around the house.

What do you think, should I contiue?

LS
Last edited by Lady Scorpio on Fri Jun 11, 2004 4:51 pm, edited 55 times in total.
Check out my fics:
~~Lady Scorpio's Fics~~
Forever Mine
Love, Life and Danger
Generation Next
Running from the Past
The House
Down Low
God Sent
Returning to Love
Lady Scorpio
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Lady Scorpio »

Just a small A/N for those of you reading Gen Next and Running. I've decided that instead of my usual lengthy post, I'm going to start posting shorter parts. Hopefully that will able me to post more often instead of trying to write longer parts and posting less often.......Let me know what you think.

Chapter 2

Diane’s head peeked around the corner when she heard the door slam. A few seconds later, the angry form of her granddaughter stormed past and up the stairs. Moments later Max came though the front door, and by the grime look on his face, she knew something was wrong.

“What’s wrong with her” she asked. Max sighed heavily as he sunk down at the kitchen table.

“We had a disagreement, and now she’s not talking to me”

“Ah, the old silent treatment huh” she chuckled, sitting down beside across from him. “Looks like she has been taking lessons from her aunt Isabel.”

“In more ways then one” he answered grimly. “God mom, you should have seen the way she acted towards the new owners on Marcus Ln. She was behaving so unlike herself”

“Well there must be a reason behind her behavior, what did she have to say for herself”

“Not much. She said she was tried and was ready to go, but then I told her that was still no reason for her to be so rude...we got into an argument, then she clammed up” he sighed.

“Just give her time sweetheart, I’m sure whatever is bothering her, she’ll get around to telling you. You know how close you two are” she patted his hand, and stood up.

“Maybe, but I swear, everyday, she acts more and more like..like..”

“Her mother” Diane finished for him.

“Yeah” he whispered. Diane turned back towards the vegetables she was cutting, not wanting her son to see the anger for her Amber’s mother that she still carried. It had been seven years since they had seen her, seven years since they received the call from the hospital, that would change their lives forever.

:Ring: :Ring: :Ring:

“Hello” Diane smiled into the phone. “Yes...one moment....Max!” Max was just heading out the door when he heard her call.

“Yeah?”

“Phone” she handed it to him.

“Thanks mom.....hello.....yes this is he....” he sat down with a heavy thud, as the words of the nurse penetrated his brain. “...yes, I’m still here.....I’ll be right down, um..thank you” placing the phone back in the cradle, staring at it in shock.

“Max, sweetheart, what’s wrong” Diane asked when she came in and seen his pale face. “Who was that on the phone” her worries growing when he didn’t answer. Ignoring his mothers questions, he stood up abruptly.

“I have to go” he mumbled seconds before grabbing his keys, and running out the door.
~~~~~~~
“Mr. Evans” the nurse broke Max out of his reveries. “I’m Carla, the one you spoke to on the phone” Max shook her proffered hand, before turning back towards the glass. He watched her as she slept, bundled snugly in her pink blanket, and tiny matching cap. She squirmed a little before settling back into a peaceful slumber, unaware of the world around her.

“She’ll be up soon, would you like to hold her” she asked gently, unsure of what he wanted. She could see he was still in a state of shock from the news. It’s not everyday you get a call from the hospital informing you that they have an abandoned newborn at the hospital, and the only name attached to it was yours. It was something she couldn’t even fathom, so for a teenage boy, it must me downright terrifying. Max nodded mechanically, and followed her into a small nursery. She left him alone to retrieve the baby. He walked nervously around the room, his hands touching all the small baby things laying around.

Eyeing a rocking chair in the corner, he sat down with a heavy heart. His fingers running numbly over the letter she had left. Her words cutting thru him like a hot knife. He didn’t have time to dwell on it, fore that moment, Carla returned, this time carrying a small bundle with her.

“She’s wide awake, and very hungry” she smiled. Carefully, she placed the baby in his arms, paying careful attention to her head. Pulling the bottle out of her pocket, Carla handed it to him. “I’ll just give you two some privacy” Max’s scared eyes collided with hers. “I’ll be just a button call away” she assured him upon seeing his panic expression. Max swallowed thickly, and nodded. He watched her disappear thru the door. Silence rung loudly in the air once she was gone. Max stared down at the squirming bundle in his arms. Amber orbs locked with blue-gray ones, and in that moment, Max knew that there was no way he’d be able to let her go.

“Shh..” he soothed when she began to whimper. Popping the cap off the bottle, he placed the nipple to her eager mouth, and watched in awe as she latched on and began suckling her fill. Max ran a finger over her forehead, down her chubby cheeks, coming to rest on her hand, which was balled up in a tight fist snuggled comfortingly under her chin. His finger trailed over the soft skin of her fingers, and she instantly wrapped her tiny fingers around his pinkie, gripping it tightly.

“Don’t worry....I won’t ever leave you” he vowed. As if understanding his words, and taking comfort in them, she closed her eyes and drifted into a sound sleep to his gentle rocking.

Diane and Phillip had been shocked when Max had returned home with Amber. But they were more angry at the fact that Lillian could just walk away from her baby without a second thought, never to return not once.

Not wanting to think about Lillian at the moment, Max changed the subject.

“What are you doing her mom” he asked with an amused smirk on his face. Diane smiled sheepishly.

“Cooking dinner for you and Amber” she dumped the vegetables into the stew.

“Mom, I told you that you can’t keep doing this” he pointed out. They had been having this same disagreement since Amber was three, and she and Max had moved into their own apartment. His mom felt that he wasn’t capable of providing a nutrients meal for himself or his daughter, so she would come around three times a week and cook dinner for them. It wasn’t like he wasn’t grateful, but sometimes she could get a little overbearing.

“Really, because I was looking in your fridge earlier, and the only thing in there was a half eaten pizza, that god only knows how long it’s been in there, and ten boxes of eggoes” she admonished.

“What, she likes waffles” Max smiled.

“Maxwell..she needs more then waffles. She’s a growing girl and she can’t survive off of waffles”

“I know...I know, but mom what about dad....won’t he be upset when he comes home and his dinner isn’t ready” he bit his lip to keep from laughing.

“Don’t be cute Max” she smiled. “Your father agrees with me on this. We just want to make sure that our granddaughter is eating right...promise me Max, promise me that you will stop letting Amber have her way, and make her eat something more then just waffles”

“I will”

“Good, there’s a roast in the oven, and it should be ready in another twenty minutes. Kiss my baby for me” she said shrugging on her coat.

“Your not staying” usually she would stay and have dinner with them especially when his father was out of town like he is this weekend.

“No, Isabel is having a hard time deciding which flowers she wants for the wedding” Diane shook her head at her daughters ability to turn a simple task into a major project, but she could understand. Every girl wants the fairytale wedding.

“Good luck with that” Max winced, not wanting to be around his sister when she was in her Nazi mode.

“Love you honey” she kissed his cheek.

“Love you too...bye mom, and thanks”

“You’re welcome...bye Max”

~~~~~~~~~

Max stood in the mirror, shaving the stubble from his face. He was well aware of the tiny face that kept peeking around the wall and watching him, but he acted as if he hadn’t noticed her. Amber had refused to come down for dinner, causing him to place the dinner his mother had prepared in the freezer for later consumption. He had went up to her room to see if she wanted to talk, but she had pretended to be asleep, but he knew she wasn’t. Now she had been lurking around his room for the last thirty minutes, watching him as he prepared for bed. Rising his face, he dried it off, before placing the towel slowly back on the rack. Amber quickly scurried out of the room, when he made his way out of the bathroom. Max chuckled at her antics. Settling into his bed, he picking up the blueprints Michael had given him to look over, and began studying them.

“Daddy” Amber’s small voice came from the doorway. Max looked up to see her dressed in her Strawberry Shortcake pajamas clutching a book to her chest. Setting the plans aside, Max pulled off his reading glasses.

“Hey” he smiled warmly.

“Hi” Max threw back his covers, and held out his hand to her. Amber wasted no time jumping into the bed with him, burling under the covers, and snuggling into his side. She inhaled deeply, loving the clean smell of her daddy. Max brushed a lock of her hair away from her forehead, placing a tender kiss upon it. Amber played with the edges of her book, and Max waited.

“Sorry” she whispered, turning tear brimmed eyes to his.

“Me too” Max knew how hard it was for her to say sorry. Amber was as stubborn as they came, and she didn’t like to back down from anything. “You want to talk about it” she shook her head no. “When you’re ready then” she nodded, and laid her head on his chest.

“I love you daddy”

“I love you too” he tweaked her nose. “Hey....guess what” Max smiled.

“What”

“Grammy Fran and grandpa Mike will be here tomorrow” he told her.

“Really” she asked excitedly.

“Um hum, uncle Michael called earlier and told me, and they’re eager to see you” he informed her. Fran and Mike were Michael’s parents, and Ambers grandparents considering Lillian was Michael’s older sister.

“Cool, I can’t wait to see them. Can they come to see ‘Brother Bear’ with us” she asked eagerly.

“We’ll see” he chuckled at her hyper-ness.

“Can you read me a story please”

“A story huh, lets see” Max flipped thru the book of fairytales she had in her hand. Finally settling on a story, Max leaned back, wrapping a protective arm around her and pulling her close.

“Once upon a time....”

~~~~~~~~~~~

Maria stood in the doorway of her friends room, an amused smile on her face. She had been standing there for the last twenty minutes, watching as Liz ran around her room like a chicken with her head cut off. She had changed outfits six times, before settling on one. Now she was sitting in front of her vanity fussing with her hair.

“You’re going thru an awful lot of trouble for someone who will be unpacking boxes all day” Maria finally made her appearance known. Liz looked up startled.

“How long have you been there” she asked embarrassed.

“Long enough to know that you have it bad girl, and you just met the man yesterday” Maria chuckled, picking up her hairbrush and running it thru Liz’s long mane. Liz groaned, burying her face in her hands.

“Is it that obvious”

“Yeah” Maria laughed at her friends flushed cheeks.

“God Maria, I don’t know what has gotten into me. I mean, let me ask you a question”

“Shoot” Maria piled her hair into a ponytail on top of her head.

“Do you believe in love at first sight” Maria thought about it for a moment. Although it has never happened to her personally, she couldn’t say that it didn’t exist.

“I don’t know....I mean I believe that there are some people out there that are made for each other....you know like soulmates, and once they find that other half of themselves, they knew it instantly....so I guess...yeah” she shrugged. “Why, is that what you feel with Max” she inquired.

“I don’t know, I....” just then the doorbell rung.

“Loverboy’s here” Maria sung, rushing out the room to answer the door. Liz took a few minutes to gather herself, before following behind her.

What do you think?

LS
Check out my fics:
~~Lady Scorpio's Fics~~
Forever Mine
Love, Life and Danger
Generation Next
Running from the Past
The House
Down Low
God Sent
Returning to Love
Lady Scorpio
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Lady Scorpio »

Chapter 3

Maria giggled as she approached the door, Pepper dancing excitedly at her feet.

“All right girl..just hold on” she scratched her behind the ears, and Pepper let out a excited bark. Maria sung open the door, and was greeted by Max and Amber’s shining face.

“Hey Max…Amber” she smiled brightly.

“Maria” Amber had taken one look at Pepper, and had fallen in love. She had always wanted a dog, but since her uncle were afraid of them, she wasn’t allowed to have one. Sitting on her knees, she rubbed Pepper’s fur, and laughed when Pepper rolled over so that she could rub her belly.

“Oh how she loves attention” Maria laughed. Max chuckled, but was not liking the look on his daughters face. He knew what he was going to be in for. She was going to pester him again about getting a dog, and he hated telling her no, but besides from Michael’s phobia, their lives were to busy to give a dog the love and attention it deserved.

“What’s her name” Amber asked, not even looking up from petting the dog.

“Pepper” Liz answered as she came down the stairs, hearing the little girls question. The smile on Amber’s face disappeared, and she stood up, lacing her hand through Max’s.

“Well, come on in” Maria motioned. Max and Amber followed them inside.

“Hey” Max smiled at Liz, once they were all finally inside.

“Hi” she blushed. Amber watched the looks that past between them, and she wanted to roll her eyes, but she had promised her daddy on the way over that she would be on her best behavior. Not so subtly, she coughed, breaking them out of the daze.

“Hi Amber” Liz finally said after tearing her eyes away from Max’s. Liz had never had anyone rebuff her as the little girl had the other day, and she was determined to get Amber to like her. She didn’t know what she had done, but she knew the little girl had a strong dislike of her. Amber looked up at her daddy, who was giving her ‘the look’ so she plastered on a sugary smile.

“Hi Ms. Liz” she chimed. Maria stood to the side with a smirk on her face. She could tell that the smile on Amber’s face was as fake as the nails she needed redone were. She knew her friend wasn’t use to someone not liking her, and she thought it was going to be interesting to watch and see how she planned on winning over this eight year old she-devil. Max let out a sigh of relief. No matter how many times he had talked to Amber about her attitude, she had a mind of her own, and he was just happy that she hadn’t been rude towards Liz and Maria.

“Can I offer you guys something to eat....drink” Liz asked going into hostess mode.

“No thank you” Max replied.

“Amber?”

“No thanks”

“I guess I better get started on that sink” Max picked up his tool box, and Amber picked up the small pink tool belt her Aunt Isabel had gotten her for Christmas last year. “If you insist on working with tools like your father, there’s no reason you shouldn’t look good doing it” she had said.

“Okay” Liz smiled. Max and Amber walked up the stairs, both talking a mile a minute. Liz couldn’t help but let her eyes linger on his butt as it moved up the stairs.

“There should be a law for looking that good” Maria sighed while fanning herself.

“Tell me about it” Liz agreed. The two women laughed together, before setting about unpacking. Two hours later, Maria got hungry, and begged Liz to fix them some lunch.

“I’ll just go see if Max or Amber would like anything” Liz mentioned. She had fix Maria’s favorite, homemade chicken noddle soup. Maria was already filling her bowl, and nodded.

“....and then Polly said that Tom was my boyfriend, just because he kept picking me for dodge ball and not her” Amber explained, handing Max the monkey wrench before he could even ask for it. They were like two peas in a pod, always knowing what the other wanted or was thinking. Max made a face, not even wanting to think about his little girl having a boyfriend.

“Well, next time you tell Polly she doesn’t know what she’s talking about. You’re too young for a boyfriend” he huffed, tighten the bolt a little tighter then need be.

Amber waved him off. “I know that daddy. Boys are yucky” she smiled.

“Keep that in mind” he smiled. Getting up, Max tested the sink, and gave a high five to Amber when it didn’t spray out on them.

“Hi” Liz smiled from the doorway. She had caught their conversation, and thought they were really sweet together.

“Hey” Max beamed. He stood there, taking in her beauty. She was dressed in a pair of yellow capri’s and a white tank top, that showed a small slip of her tan midriff when she moved. Her hair was pulled into a ponytail, that rested on top of her head. A few strands had escaped when she was unpacking boxes, and now were framing the sides of her face. Max unconsciously looked her up and down, and the corners of his mouth twisted up at her bare feet. He noticed the small butterfly tattoo on her right ankle, never pegging her as the type. The ringing of his cell phone brought him out of his thoughts.

“Excuse me” Max wondered into the bedroom to take the call, leaving Liz and Amber alone. Amber watched as Liz stared after her daddy.

“Take a picture, it will last longer” she snipped. Liz blushed when she realized she was staring. Turning, she brought her attention to Amber.

“So Amber” she began nervously. “What grade are you in” trying to start a conversation. Amber looked at her with disdain, before she started placing her daddy’s tools back in the box.

“Second” she replied after a long pause.

“Really, Maria will be teaching second grade at the Academy this fall” she smiled, sitting on the small vanity chair. “What school do you go too?”

Turning towards her, Amber pinned her with a look. “Look, I know what you’re doing, so just stop. Stop trying to be my friend, because I don’t want to be yours” she said lowly so that her father didn’t hear her. Liz was shocked. The look Amber was giving her, could’ve melted an iceberg.

“I..” before she could finish, Max reappeared. Looking between the two, Max noticed the strained expression on Liz’s face. Looking down at his daughter, Amber smiled brightly at him.

“Everything ok” he asked.

“Everything’s fine daddy” Amber rushed to assure him. “Ms. Liz and I were just talking....right Ms. Liz” she shot Liz a look. Liz smiled tightly.

“Yeah, we’re getting alone perfectly”

“Good...good. Well, the sink is all fixed, and there isn’t any water damage. Was there anything else that needed fixing” he asked. Remembering the basement stairs, she told him about them.

“I’ll get right on it”

“Wait, I thought you two would like to take a break. I fixed some lunch, and was wondering if you guys would like to join us..although I don’t know how much is left with the way Maria eats” she joked.

“You know, I am kind of hungry” Max smiled.

“Well come on” she motioned. With Max in the lead, they headed down stairs. Amber followed behind them, a frown masking her face.

“Hold on girl” Maria sighed in frustration at Pepper. Pepper was hungry, and Maria was trying to fix her bowl. Pepper didn’t like to eat regular dog food. No, Liz had spoiled her, and now all she will eat is ground up filet mignon, and it had to be cooked just right. Liz and the others had came down, just as Pepper began whining.

“Here, let me do it” Liz offered.

“Thank god” Maria threw up her hands and stepped aside, glad to let Liz take over. Liz set about fixing Peppers food.

“Hey, you guys joining us for lunch” Maria asked Max and Amber.

“Looks like” Maria grabbed two more bowls, and filled them with soup, while Pepper danced around Liz’s feet. Once she was finished, she filled her water dish, and filled her bowl.

“So Max, you live around here” Maria asked after they had been sitting for a while. Amber decided she wasn’t very hungry, and when Pepper had finished eating, she wanted to go outside, and Amber went out to play with her. Max swallowed, before answering.

“Yeah we do, about three blocks from here” he smiled.

“Really. Interesting” she gave Liz a look.

“So when you say we, you mean..” Liz kicked her under the table.

“Ow” she whined, rubbing the sore spot.

“I’m pretty sure Max didn’t agree to lunch so that he could be interrogated” she narrowed.

“What, I’m just trying to get to know him” she answered innocently. Liz groaned inwardly. She knew what Maria was doing, twenty three years of friendship had its advantages.

“It’s okay. When I say we, I mean Amber and I” he answered.

“And your wife” Maria asked, before Liz could stop her. Maria moved her legs out of the way, and caught Liz’s foot under the table. This time Liz groaned loudly, burying her face in her hand embarrassedly.

Max laughed. “No wife” he stressed, his eyes trained on Liz.

“That’s good to know” before she could go into another round of questions, her cell phone rung.

“DeLuca here” she answered, seconds later, she was shouting at the person on the other end, walking into the living room. Liz knew it was Kyle from the many ‘asswipes’ and ‘buttface’ that came out of her mouth.

“I’m really sorry about Maria, sometimes she doesn’t think before she talks” she apologized as she began clearing the table.

“It’s okay” Max laughed. “She seems....lively” he smiled, helping her clear the table.

“Lively. Yeah, that’s one word to describe Maria” Liz giggled.

“How long have you two been friends” he asked, placing their bowls in the sink. Out of habit, he began making dish water.

“Since we were born” Liz answered, handing him a dishrag. Max began washing the bowls, and handing them to Liz to rinse. He raised an eyebrow at her answer.

“My mom and Maria’s mom were roommates when they were in labor. They got to talking, and became instant friends. Of course their friendship caused us to be friends, and we’ve been inseparable every since” she answered. Soon, they were finished, and Liz realized that he had just washed dishes. They had worked so fluently together, that she thought nothing of it. Max stared down at her, and it seemed like the world disappeared around them. He stepped closer, and Liz swallowed nervously. She ignored the soap dripping from her hands, as he drew closer. Her eyes hypnotized by his. They were inches apart, and Max couldn’t not touch her. Hesitantly, he raised his hand, and brushed a strand of her hair behind her ear. His fingers brushed against her cheek, and Liz closed her eyes at his touch. Max felt the current race through him, and couldn’t understand were these feelings were coming from. He had dated some, but never had any of the women made him feel like this.

“Daddy look!” Amber came busting through the door, Pepper right behind her. Max and Liz sprung apart guiltily, and Amber looked between them suspiciously.

“What sweety” Max smiled, coming to kneel in front of her. Amber searched his face, before looking past him at Liz, who was finding the floor very interesting.

“Nothing” she answered sadly. Max eyed her, something was wrong.

“Are you sure” he asked, placing a tender hand on her arm.

“Yeah” she grabbed Pepper’s collar, and lead her back outside. She threw one more look between Max and Liz, before storming out the door.

“I guess I better start on those stairs” he sighed, running his hand through his hair.

“Sure, I’ll show you to the basement” she fidget nervously. She wasn’t sure what would have happened if Amber hadn’t came in, but she couldn’t help but feel all giddy inside at the possibilities

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Grammy....Grandpa!” Amber shouted as she ran into their open arms.

“There’s my little Tinkerbell” Mike smiled as he wrapped his arms around his granddaughter.

“Oh my, look how big you have gotten” Fran pulled back and gave her a once over. “What are you now, ten” she teased.

“Grammy” Amber giggled. “I’m seven.”

“Seven, are you sure” she tickled her.

“I’ll be eight in two months” she looked to Max to make sure she was correct, and smiled when he nodded.

“Really, I guess that means I’m going to have to get you something special” Mike smiled big at his granddaughter. His heart ached, remembering all the times he had held his own daughter like this.

“Michael” Fran smiled, pulling her son into an awkward embrace.

“Mom” it wasn’t a secret that Michael and his parents didn’t get along as well as they use too. Truth was, they were never really close. Throughout his childhood, Michael had spent most of his times at the Evans, just to escape his parents strict household.

“Junior” Mike held out his hand to his son. Michael winced, hating that he called him that.

“Max” Fran stood in front of him. “It’s nice to see you” she smiled falsely.

“You too Mrs. Guerin” he acknowledged.

“Maxwell” Mike replied tightly. At one time, Mike had liked Max, had thought that he was a good boy. That was until he got his babygirl pregnant, and caused her to leave her family. Amber looked between the two men. She knew her Grammy Fran and Grandpa Mike, didn’t like her daddy too much. They were always fighting about someone named Lillian, and the last time they were there last Christmas, her grandpa and daddy had gotten into a huge shouting match, that resulted in her grandpa punching her daddy.

“Mr. Guerin” he answered through clutched jaws. As much as he detested the older man, he was determined not to have a repeat of last Christmas. He knew how much Amber adored her grandparents, and she only saw them three times a year, and he didn’t want to ruin her visit with them.

“Well, shall we get going” Fran broke through the tension. “We have to get our bags from baggage claim” the five of them walked to baggage claim to retrieve their luggage.

“Sorry about that” Michael apologized for his parents behavior, as they walked behind his parents and Amber through the airport.

“Forget about it, I’ve already have” he answered truthfully. “You think you can survive three months with them here” he answered, glad he wasn’t going to have be stuck with them.

“Believe me, I think I see long nights at the office in my future” he half joked, half serious. Max slapped him on the back.

“Don’t worry, Amber will keep them plenty of busy” he laughed.

“I’m counting on it” Michael prayed silently to the heavens to give him strength to survive the next three months.

What do you think?

LS........
Last edited by Lady Scorpio on Sun Mar 14, 2004 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Check out my fics:
~~Lady Scorpio's Fics~~
Forever Mine
Love, Life and Danger
Generation Next
Running from the Past
The House
Down Low
God Sent
Returning to Love
Lady Scorpio
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Lady Scorpio »

First off, thanks again for the bumps and f/b. I just want to say to everyone, I know Amber seems, well like a little um....., but trust me, there's a reason for her behavior, which will be explained in later chapters. So don't be so hard on her, she's on seven. :lol: :lol: :lol: Of course, that doesn't mean she's going to welcome Max and Liz in a relationship with open arms.

Chapter 4

Liz sunk low in her tub, happy to finally take advantage of the big whirlpool tub. Her muscles were aching from all the lifting and unpacking of the zillion of boxes. Steam rose from the intensity of the hot water, fogging up the mirror. Liz groaned loudly as the knots became unraveled in her body. Pepper laid obediently at the bathroom door, waiting patiently for her to finish. The house was quiet, and the only sounds were from the light swishing of the water as it lapped around her, before settling. After Maria’s call from Kyle, she had stormed out of the house mumbling something about stupid brothers. Liz could only imagine what Kyle had done to cause Maria to go storming out the door, most likely heading over to his house intent on doing him bodily harm.

Not long after Maria had left, Amber had came back into the house. Liz shiver just thinking of the little girl.

“What were you two doing” Amber asked, perching herself upon a stool at the island. Liz nearly dropped the box she was holding when she heard her voice behind her. She hadn’t realized she had came inside.

“Huh?’” she asked, caught off guard.

“I seen the way you look at him” she played idly with her fingernails. “It’s pathetic really, the way you practically drool over him....throw yourself at him...I mean, how desperate are you” she raised an eyebrow at her. Liz stood there with her mouth hanging open. She was starting to think that Maria was right, this girl really was Satan’s spawn.

“Why you little...” Amber cut her off before she could finish.

“Let me save you the trouble, you’re not his type. He’s not into plain and frumpy” she jumped off the stool when she heard her daddy coming. Tossing Liz and incredibly sweet smile, she ran and met her daddy.

Liz could only stare after her. She didn’t know exactly what to say. She liked Max, and from the intense way he had looked at her today, she thought he felt the same. But a part of her was wondering if she initiate something with Max, would she be able to handle Amber. Setting her mind, Liz had always liked challenges, and whatever the little demon threw at her, she was determine to get through her. Well, she had at least a month to get to know Max and Amber. Max had informed her that unfortunately the wood from the basement stairs were rotting, and that it would be best for them to have them replaced. He had promised her that it wouldn’t take more then a month to complete, and he promised to be the overseer of the entire project. He was coming over tomorrow evening to discuss price and plans. Liz smiled thinking of the evening to come.

~~~~~~~~~~

“...and I want some gummy bears, and Whoppers, ohh and some popcorn and Goobers, and a orange soda” Amber rattled off to her uncle.

“You heard the lady” Michael smiled at the cashier. The teenage girl looked at him uncertainly. The little girl had already ordered two hot dogs, nachos, a pretzel, and hot fudge sundae. She was going to bouncing off the ceiling. Michael gave her a look that said not question him, and she shrugged her shoulders and got there order. Michael paid the girl, and gathered up their food.

“You could have at least grabbed more then your soda” Michael huffed at his niece as he struggled with the containers. Someone bumped into him, causing him to almost drop his armload.

“Hey, watched were you’re going” he snapped. He eyes instantly collided with angry green ones. For some reason those eyes seemed familiar. Maria growled under her breath, she was not having the best night, and she hadn’t planed on spending her evening with knee biters.

“Hey you ran into me” she retorted angrily, while trying to keep a hold of Kelsey and Travis’ jacket. Kyle had called and begged her to take his four year old twins to see ‘Brother Bear.’ He was suppose to take them, but he got stuck at work, and if he missed one more visit, Tess was going to take him to court and ask for full custody. Tess and Kyle had been married for three years, and separated for the last eight months. The divorce was still in process, because they’re both still trying to figure out if that was what they wanted. Kyle had moved out into a small two bedroom apartment, and per court order, was to have his kids every other weekend. Maria felt bad for Kelsey and Travis, because they are really confused, and didn’t understand why they weren’t a family any more. Maria, Liz and they’re parents went out of their way to help them through the transition as best as they could, which was why she hadn’t been able to tell him no when he asked her to pick them up for him and take them to see the movie. She loved her niece and nephew dearly, but she was seriously thinking of calling her OB/GYN Monday morning and requesting a tubal ligation.

“Maria” Amber smiled when she recognized the lady arguing with her uncle. Maria looked down at her.

“Amber, hey” now she knew where she recognized his rude behavior. This was Max’s friend.

“Michael right” she remembered.

“Yeah...Maria right” he asked, his voice losing some of its heat.

“Didn’t think a tough guy like you was into cartoons” she teased.

“Ha..ha” he narrowed his eyes at her, but couldn’t help the small smile that touched his lips.

“Uncle Michael, the movie will be starting soon” Amber reminded him.

“Auntie Ria, I want some Resees Pieces” Travis and Kelsey pulled on her arms, not wanting to miss the movie.

“I guess I’ll see you inside” she called over her shoulder as the twins pulled her away.

“Yeah” Michael called after her.

“I knew I should have went with you” Max chastised when Michael and Amber returned.

“What?” he asked clueless. Max shook his head, and grabbed his Raisnettes off the tray. Michael handed his parents their food, and sat down on the aisle seat next to Max. Amber sat happily between her grandparents, soaking up all the attention they were showering on her.

“Hey” Maria smiled. Max looked up startled.

“Maria, what are you doing here” he asked, looking behind her wondering if Liz was with her.

“She’s at home” she giggled knowing that he was looking for her friend. Max blushed, was he that obvious. Michael stood up noticing the armload she was carrying.

“Need some help” he offered. Max stared at his friend in surprise. Michael wasn’t the friendly type, and he never offered his help unless there was something in it for him.

“That would be great” she smiled, calling after Kelsey and Travis. Michael looked around the theater, which was rapidly filling up with families with their over hyper kids.

“Maxwell scoot down” he whispered.

“Why” Max smiled innocently.

“Because I said so” he said, kicking his leg. Max laughed.

“You don’t have to get violent” he chuckled, scooting over two seats, freeing up three extra seats.

“Would you like to join us, there doesn’t look like there’s going to be three seats together anywhere” Maria looked around, and realized he was right.

“Sure” Michael took the things from her, and Max helped settle the twins for her. Michael sat down on the other side of Travis, sending Maria a cocky smile.

“Who’s your friend Junior” Mike raised an eyebrow. Michael rolled his eyes, and made the introductions. Soon, the lights went down, and the previews began.

“I really appreciate you carrying him for me” Maria smiled as she fished out her keys while trying to hold a sleeping Kelsey in her arms. They had made it to the last thirty minutes of the movie before crashing out. Michael was helping her bring them to the car.

“It was no probably” he said, fastening Travis in his carseat. Maria fastened Kelsey next to her brother and locked and closed the door.

“Thanks again” she smiled. Michael held the door while she got in, closing it firmly once she was settle. Leaning onto the frame, Michael smiled.

“Drive safely Spitfire” he whispered.

“Spitfire?” Maria smiled. Michael shrugged before standing.

“See you around Maria” and with that he was gone, walking over to the car where Max was waiting.

“What was that all about” he raised an eyebrow at him.

“You’re not the only one with game” Michael punched him playfully. Max flex, and Michael hurriedly ran around to the passengers side.

“So the Rugrat staying with me tonight” Michael asked, motioning to the SUV in front of them.

“Yeah, is that okay with you” Max made a left at the light.

“Maxwell, you know she’s always welcomed. What do you think I had Isabel redo the upstairs bedroom. I sure as hell don’t like Strawberry Shortcake” he chuckled.

“I don’t know, I see the way you be eyeing Ms. Shortcake, I know you’ve always had a thing for redheads” Max ducked when he saw Michael’s hand about to collide with his head.

~~~~~~~~~

Max laid his tired body down in his king bed. Sighing as the silk sheets caressed his cooling body. He had just gotten out of the shower, and his body was recovering from the hot shower. After he had gotten Amber to sleep at Michael’s, he had said his goodnights to the Guerin’s and headed home. His mind wandered to a certain brunette, and he wondered what she was doing at the moment. Was she sitting at home obsessed over him as he was over her. Probably not, he thought. Turning over, he stared up at the ceiling, trying to picture her smile in his mind. The last thing on his mind before he fell asleep, was the imagine of Liz and the way she had stared up at him in the kitchen.

~~~~~~~~

“What are you doing here, and where’s Amber” Max asked when Michael entered the kitchen. He had just finished washing the dishes from the day before.

“Mom and dad took her to the zoo” he answered, searching the fridge for something to eat. Grabbing two Eggoes, he popped them in the toaster, and leaned on the counter waiting for them to finish. Max smirked.

“Still doesn’t explain why you’re here” he leaned beside him. Michael squirmed under his stare.

“I thought I’ll come with you since we’re partners and all” he shrugged nonchalantly.

“Really. You know I’m just going over the price sheet, you know stuff you hate” Max smiled knowingly. The toaster popped, and Michael retrieved them, drowning them in syrup. Max was starting too see were Amber got her eating habits from.

“Just thought it was time for me to get into all the paperwork stuff you know” he answered, avoiding eye contact with Max.

“Right, and Maria has nothing to do with it” Max inquired, sitting down across from him.

“Maybe” he said, stuffing his face.

“Thought so” Max grinned.

“Whatever, can we get going” he asked impatiently.

“A little eager aren’t we” Max laughed, grabbing a folder off the counter. The two headed to Max’s jeep. Finally, pulling up to the house, Max got out, and headed towards the door, he stopped, when he realized Michael wasn’t following him.

“What are you doing” he asked, going back to the jeep.

Michael gave him a pointed look. “I’m not stupid Max, I’m not going in there, until I know Cujo is locked up” he folded his arms across his chest stubbornly. Max could only laugh as he made his way to the door.

LS.......

What do you think?
Last edited by Lady Scorpio on Thu Mar 04, 2004 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Check out my fics:
~~Lady Scorpio's Fics~~
Forever Mine
Love, Life and Danger
Generation Next
Running from the Past
The House
Down Low
God Sent
Returning to Love
Lady Scorpio
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Lady Scorpio »

Hey all. Well lI'm finally done with this semester, and prayerfully I did ok, at least I hope. :lol: :lol: :lol: Anyways thanks for beginning patient with me. For those reading Generation Next don't worry, a new chapter for it will be posted tomorrow, I just have a few more things sto add, but right now I have to put the little ones to bed.

Chapter 5

Liz watched him from the kitchen window. She watched as he leaned over the workbench, giving her a nice view of his tight butt, flexing with each movement. His A shirt was soaked with his sweat, and Liz licked her lips when he took it off, showing off his sculptured chest. A bead of sweat rolled over his chest, across a semi-hard nipple, over his ripped abs, and disappeared beneath the waist of his pants. Liz moaned low in her throat, and wished for just one moment to be that bead of sweat. As if sensing her eyes on him, Max looked towards the house, and caught her eyes from were she watched him out the kitchen window. Slowly, he stuffed his drenched shirt into his back pocket, and strolled purposely towards the house.

Liz couldn’t breath. The look that he had sent her was causing her legs to grow weak. Suddenly, he was there, standing on the back porch, staring at her through the screen door. Liz swallowed thickly, and stood paralyzed as he came through the door. He was standing in front of her now, and suddenly, the room grew claustrophobic. Without a word, Max picked her up, and sat her on top of the island. She let out a surprised yelp, but she didn’t complain as he wrapped her legs around his waist as he stepped between them. His hands ran over his slick chest and shoulders, and she sighed heavily when his lips crashed into hers, and his tongue thrust sharply into her mouth.

“Max” she managed to moan between his breath taking kisses. Max stood back and stared at her swollen lips, and watched her chest rise and fall from her accelerated breathing. He placed his hands on her shoulders, and his thumbs massaged the skin of her collar bones, before trailing down to rest on the top button of her dress. She was wearing a jean button-down dress, and as Max looked it over, he realized that there were way too many buttons keeping him from her soft body.

“Max!” again surprised by his sudden movements. He had ripped the dress down the center, sending buttons flying every which way. She looked up at him with hooded eyes at his low growl. She was naked completely underneath, and his eyes were running appreciative over her. His large palms wrapped around her small mounds, his thumbs teasing their perky tips. Liz wrapped her fingers through his nape, and assisted him as his head threw closer to her breast.

“Yeeesss” she moaned as his lips wrapped around a taunt nipple. Max sucked her breast into his hungry mouth like a newborn calf. Liz arched her back, wanting him to take all of her. Max scooted her back on the island, and climbed over her. His hand reached between them, and found her nether lips. Their eyes locked, and she held her breath, waiting on his next move.

“Maaxxx” she moaned, when a single digit slid into her wet walls, before another followed. She watched his eyes squeeze shut as her name trembled off his lips.

“Liiizzz”

“Oh Max..”

“Liz?”

“Max” she moaned, closing her eyes.

“Liz” she heard him whisper, but it seemed so distant.

“Liz....Liz!” Liz’s eyes snapped open, and she found Maria staring at her with a questioning look. Her head snapped towards the window, and she saw Max standing in the backyard with Michael, leaning over the work table talking.

“Are you okay” Maria asked, taking in her flushed face, and labored breathing. Liz continued to stare out the window at Max. Max looked up and met her eye. He gave her a dashing smile and waved, before turning his attention back to his workers.

“Liz?” Maria turned her so that she was looking at her.

“I’m fine” she lied. Her body was still humming from her daydream, and she could still feel his lips on her body. Grabbing a couple of ice cubes out of the freezer, she popped one into her dry mouth, and trailed the other over the hot skin between her breast. Her eyes occasionally drifting towards the window, then she would grab another cube and rub it over her skin. Maria smirked, finally understanding what was wrong with her friend.

“My god Liz, another one. What is that like four this past week” she giggled.

“Shut up Maria” Liz growled. It wasn’t her fault that she had been having very explicit, erotic daydreams about one Max Evans. They had started three weeks ago when they had first started on the basement stairs. She had been upstairs in her room, looking out her bedroom window down into the backyard were Max and Michael were talking to their crew. They both looked so serious as they explained in detail to the crew what was expected. Next thing she knew, he was standing in her bedroom door, and without a word had descended on her and had taken her right there on her bedroom floor. It was the first time she had, had an orgasm without herself or anyone touching her. She had been so embarrassed that she couldn’t even look at him for three days, thinking that he would be able to see the dirty thoughts that raced through her head about him. After the third one, she had confided with Maria, who had laughed and told her that she was just sexually frustrated, and needed to get laid.

“Liz I’ve told you what to do to get rid of them” Maria grinned. Liz rolled her eyes at her.

“Maria, I am not going to seduce him” she sighed. She sat down heavily on the stool next to her. “What am I going to do Maria” she moaned, her head resting on the counter top. Taking pity on her, Maria wrapped an arm around her.

“Ahh Chica, it’s going to be ok” she rubbed her back comfortingly. “Ok, maybe seducing him isn’t the answer, but Liz, since Max obviously isn’t going to make the first move, maybe you should” she suggested.

“Maria, I just can’t ask him out. I would seem desperate”

“Well, you are” Maria teased.

“Screw you” Liz countered.

“No, that is what you want Max to do to you” Maria laughed, ducking at the dishtowel that flew towards her head.

“You’re not helping” she scowled playfully.

“Ok..ok, but seriously girl, it’s the twentieth century, girls asked guys out all the time” she waved off.

“What if he says no” Maria looked at her as if she had grown a second head.

“Are you crazy, the guy has it just as bad as you, and according to Michael, he’s just shy” unlike Max and Liz, Maria and Michael have been seeing each other for the last three weeks. Every since the night they ran into each other at the movies, and he showed up with Max the next evening to go over the plans, the two of them had been dating casually. Of course, Maria had to coast Kyle into keeping Pepper for the entire time that they were redoing the basement stairs, because Michael refused to come over with her around, something Maria still teases him about.

“I don’t know Maria, it’s been so long since I’ve been in the dating game, what if I screw up” she asked worriedly.

“What’s there to screw up? You go up to him and say ‘you..me, Friday night..dinner...movie, and hopefully some hot monkey sex afterwards”

“Maria!” Maria laughed at her red face. “You are such a loser” she couldn’t help but laugh at her friends ability to turn everything into sex. Once Maria was able to control herself, she turned to her friend.

“Liz, girl, it’s time for you to stop being so cautions, and go for what you want...because if you don’t, someone might scoop him up right out from under you” Maria noticed Michael coming towards the house, carrying some heavy lumber. She quickly jumped off the stool, and open the screen door for him.

“Thanks” he smiled at her, giving her a little wink.

“No problem sexy” she swatted his butt as he past her. She watched his back as he headed out the kitchen. “Damn” she mumbled under her breath.

“You are such a slut” Liz giggled.

“And yet you thrive to be like me” she laughed, going out the kitchen in search of Michael. Liz sat and thought about what Maria had said. It was true, sometimes she wished she could be more like Maria...outgoing, fearless, go for what she wanted. When it came to men, Liz was always shy. She was afraid of having her heart broken, so she never took risk. There had been plenty of guys she had liked growing up, but had been too scared to do anything about it. Kyle had been her only real boyfriend when she was a freshman at UNM. He was safe, comforting, and she didn’t have that fear of having her heart broken, because Kyle would never hurt her. That relationship had only lasted a year, then they realized that their relationship was more platonic then love. Walking over to the window, she stared out at Max. Maybe it was time she took some risk.

“Hey”

“Liz, hey” Max smiled. Turning back to one of his workers, he gave him some instructions, before sending him on his way. “What can I do for you” Max smiled, giving her his undivided attention.

“I thought you might be thirsty” she smiled, remembering the glass of lemonade in her hand.

“Actually, I am...thank you” he accepted the glass. Liz watched in a daze as he lifted the glass to his full lips, and took a drink. Her eyes fixed on his Adam’s apple as it moved with each swallow. “Thanks, that really hit the spot” he smiled, licking the small drop that had dripped onto his lip. Liz stood nervously, unsure of what to do now. When she was in the kitchen, she had it all planned out what she was going to say to him, but now as he stood in front of her, she was to paralyzed to asked him out. Liz wasn’t the only one who was nervous. Despite the cool breeze of the fall air, Max was sweating heavily. Michael had been teasing him relentlessly about his fear of asking Liz out, and he was determined to ask her out.

“So, how is everything going” Liz asked, motioning towards the plans. Happy for the cop out, Max turned towards his work table.

“Good....good, we’re right on schedule. We should be out of you guys hair in about a week” he ran his hand through his hair, a little disappointed over not seeing her everyday.

“Wow, I can’t believe you’re almost finished” she whispered sadly.

“Yeah, the guys and Tina...” Max remembered the one female he had on his crew “have been working hard to get you into your lab” he smiled.

“And I appreciate all their hard work” just then one of the men called Max over.

“Well, I guess I better let you get back to work” Liz picked up his empty glass, but still made no attempt to move.

“Yeah, I guess I better” he stood there watching her. Liz turned to leave, but then Maria’s words echoed through her head.

”Stop being so cautions, and go for what you want”

Turning, she saw him heading for his worker. “Max” she called to him.

“Yeah” he asked, heading back towards her.

Stealing herself, Liz rushed right in before her nerves took over. “I-I was wondering if you would like to have dinner with me tonight” she held her breath waiting on his answer. Max was jumping for joy inside. She had actually asked him out, she really wanted to go out with him, and tonight. That happiness soon fell short.

“Liz I can’t...” he said regretfully.

“I understand” she didn’t hear anything after he said he didn’t want to go out with her. Liz felt her heart squeeze in her chest, she had taken a chance and he had shot her down.

“....come with us” Max finished. He stood there expectantly. “Liz?”

“Huh” she asked, confused at why he was staring at her as if waiting on something. Max smiled, realizing she hadn’t heard him.

“I said I can’t go to dinner with you tonight, because I promised Amber I would take her horseback riding, but you can come with us if you like” he asked hopefully. Again, she only stood there.

“What do you say?” he asked her again.

“Max, I don’t know how to ride a horse”

“Neither did I the first time” he chuckled, making her smile. “Come on, it will be fun” he gave her a half smile, and his amber eyes shone with hope. Liz thought about it for a moment, and she did want to spend time with him, but was she really want their first date to be with the Bad Seed.
“What about Amber....I don’t want to invade your time together”

“Nonsense, you’re not, and Amber won’t mind..” he stepped closer to her, his confidence growing with each step. “...besides, I would really love for you to come” his hand brushed lightly over her bare arm, and he stared down at her. Liz felt a shiver go down her spine at his touch, and she couldn’t possibly say no to him.

“Okay”

“Okay?” he asked, a hundred watt smile lighting up his face.

“Yes” she confirmed, figuring she would definitely have it out with Rosemary’s baby just to spend time with him.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Needless to say, Amber wasn’t to happy about Liz’s unexpected intrusion.

“What is she doing here” Amber asked, seeing Liz standing by her car as they pulled up to the stables.

“I invited her” Max said, throwing the car in park.

“Why?” Amber looked over at him. Max scratched nervously behind his ear.

“Because Liz is a friend, a-and” he stumbled over his words.

“And you like her” Amber finished for him in a whisper.

“Yeah..yeah, I do” he answered, casting a worried glance her way. She had folded her arms across her chest, and was staring unseeingly out the window.

“How do you feel about that Tickles” using the nickname he had gave her when she was one and would constantly beg him to tickle her. Amber continued to stare out the window for what seemed like forever before she shrugged her shoulders.

“Does it really matter what I feel” she asked turning towards him.

“Of course it matters, why would you even say something like that. You’re my daughter, your feelings matter to me” he ran a soothing hand down her long blonde hair. Amber stared up at him with sad eyes.

“Amber please talk to me, I know something is bothering you, and hate it that you won’t talk to me” he pleaded with her. Amber turned back towards the window. There was no way she would tell him, she thought, she didn’t want him to ever know.

“There’s nothing wrong daddy” Max sighed, and ran a frustrated hand through his hair. He met Liz’s eyes, who was staring at him with a worried look on his face.

“Do you still want to go riding” he asked her. Amber stared out the window at Liz, then turned to her dad who was patiently waiting on her answer.

“Yeah” her voice lacked the enthusiasm and excitement it held when he had told her they were going riding the other day.

“Amber, I know that you don’t like Liz” she didn’t make any attempt to prove him wrong “but I’m asking, for me, please be on your best behavior” he warned. Max watched a slow, almost too sweet smile appear on her face.

“I promise daddy” for some reason, Max wasn’t so convince by that promise. He knew his daughter, and knew that she was a sneaky little something. After all, she was Michael and Isabel’s niece, and they made it there personal mission to teach her bad habits.

Hope you like.........

LS
Check out my fics:
~~Lady Scorpio's Fics~~
Forever Mine
Love, Life and Danger
Generation Next
Running from the Past
The House
Down Low
God Sent
Returning to Love
Lady Scorpio
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Lady Scorpio »

Sorry for the wait, part B will be out later this evening.

Chapter 6A

“Is everything ok” Liz asked as Max made his way over to her. She peeked around him and saw Amber still sitting in the car.

“Yeah...yeah, everything’s ok” Max looked back at the car, and watched as Amber slowly climbed out the car.

“Max, if this isn’t a good thing..” she started hesitantly.

“No, Liz, it’s okay” Amber slowly made her way over to them.

“Hi Amber” Liz smiled warmly at her.

“Hi” the three of them stood awkwardly in front of the stables.

“Shall we” Max clapped his hands together, hoping to relieve some of the tension in the air. They all headed inside the stables.

“Ahhh Mr. Evans...Amber, what a pleasant surprise” Rachel, the owner smiled. She gave Max a friendly hug, and tweaked Amber’s nose. “And who is this” she pulled back, smiling brightly at Liz. Max liked Rachel, she was an older lady, that reminded him of his grandmother. When he had first started bringing Amber here, she would always have fresh cookies and cakes for them, when she knew they were coming. Max always worried about her because of her age. She was a widower, and her only child, a son, had died three years ago in a fire, he was a firefighter. Now she was all alone, sure there was Rafael, who helped her run the stables, but she was as young as she use to be, and with the added stress of losing her husband and son, she wasn’t as vibrant as she use to be. That is why Max made it his personal duty to see after her.

Max blushed, and scratched nervously behind his ear. “Rachel, this is Liz, Liz..Rachel” he introduced.

“It’s nice to meet you” Liz smiled shaking her hand.

“You too suga” Rachel smiled, turning to Amber. “And you my little jockey, I have something for you” she smiled, going over to her quasi-desk, she searched around, before pulling out a slip of paper and handed it to her.

“The twentieth annual riders competition” she read excitedly. Amber turned pleading eyes to Max, and he groaned. “Oh daddy can I enter” she pleaded. Rachel stood to the side with a huge smile on her face.

“I don’t know Amber, I’m not sure you’re ready for that just yet” he tried to reason with her.

“Yes I am, Rachel said I’m a natural” she turned to Rachel. “Tell him...tell him I can do this” Rachel looked at the little girl in front of her, who she considered a grandchild, and then looked to Max, who was shaking his head in the negative. He didn’t want his babygirl competing, she was too little in his eyes. Liz stood back with a small smile on her face, waiting to see how this would all turn out. Rachel was torn. Amber was a natural. In all her forty years of training, she had never seen anyone take to riding as Amber had. The girl had only been three when they had first started coming to the stables, but she had handled the horse better then some of her experienced riders.

Digging into her pocket, she pulled out some sugar cubes, and handed them to Amber. “Why don’t you show Liz here the horses, and let me talk to your dad for a sec, okay” she smiled. Amber looked hesitantly between Rachel and her dad, before turning and slowly walk towards the horses, expecting Liz to follow.

“I’ll be just a moment” Max assured Liz as she looked at him apprehensively. She nodded slowly, and walked over to were Amber was feeding a sugar cube to one of the horses.

“Hey” she said standing next to her. Amber looked up and gave her a weak smile.

“Hey” picking up some brushes, Amber handed one to Liz, and began brushing the horses mane. Liz followed suit, and began trailing the brush over the horses fine coat. They worked together silently, each in their own thoughts.

“What’s her name” Liz finally asked after several minutes of silence.

“She’s a he, and his name’s Charcoal” Amber rolled her eyes, but she was standing so that Liz couldn’t see her. Liz let out a small chuckle, and patted Charcoal’s side.

“I’m sorry Charcoal, I don’t know much about horses” she answered truthfully.

“Obviously” Amber mumbled under her, but Liz heard her nonetheless. Amber tossed the brush into the bucket and grabbed the saddle off the stall, that was three times her size.

“That’s Snowflake” she nodded towards a Appaloosa in the next stall. Amber climbed the step ladder, and tossed the saddle over Charcoal’s back. Pointing towards another stall. “That’s Lighting” pointing to the stall next to his, she went down the row. “Kicker....Fire...Midnight...Starlight....Lady....Duster...Buck....Spirit...and Thunder” she finished listing each of the horses names. Liz nodded and looked around the stable.

“Señorita Amber” a jolly voice vibrated around the stables.

“Rafael!” Amber shouted, jumping off the step ladder, she ran into his open arms. Rafael spun her around, and Amber laughed as his fingers found her ticklish spot.

“I missed you” she pouted once he sat her back down on the ground. Rafael had went to Mexico to visit his family, and had been gone for two months. He and Amber would ride together a lot, and had became best of friends. Rafael was a senior at the university. When he was sixteen, his mom, who was from Mexico but had migrated to Texas, moved back to Mexico, to take care of his ailing grandfather. Rafael had wanted to state and finish school. So he stay, living with different friends here and there, until he graduated at the top of his class. Even though he receive some scholarships, they weren’t enough to pay for everything, and he was forced to obtain a job to help. He had been working with Rachel since his freshmen year. Because of his desires to be the first person on both sides of his family to graduate college, he worked hard, and never slacked on his studies or working for Rachel, leaving him little time to see his family. Rachel was so proud of him, so for an early graduation present, she had given him a round trip ticket to Mexico, and made him promise to have fun and enjoy the time with his family.

“You did” he asked, pretending as if he didn’t believe her.

“Ummhumm” she answered matter on fact.

“I miss you too, and..” he walked over to one of the stalls, and pulled out a large package. “...I brought you something back” he smiled brightly, watching the way her eyes grew round, and she bounced up and down excitedly. He sat the gift down at her feet.

“Really?” she asked eagerly, already ripping into the paper that surrounded the gift. “Whoa” her mouth formed in a perfect O.

“You like it” Rafael asked, knowing from the expression on her face that she indeed did. Amber nodded, her eyes still running over her gift. Kneeling down beside her, Rafael lifted the guitar out of it’s case.

“I thought since you liked to play mine so much, that you would like to have one of your own” he smiled. “Whoa!” he grinned when she threw her arms around his neck, and nearly choked the air out of him.

“Thank you” she beamed, placing a kiss on his cheek.

“No problem” he shrugged. He helped her place the strap on, and adjusted her hands. Amber plucked the strings a couple of times, before breaking out into a song Rafael had taught her.

“That was lovely” Liz applauded as Amber finished. Amber gave her a weak smile. For a moment there, she had forgotten she was there. Rafael stood, when he realized Liz had been standing there. Amber made quick introductions, before the two of them began speaking Spanish. Liz wasn’t as fluent as she should have been, considering the fact that when Maria was really excited or upset, she would began speaking Spanish and not even realize it. She had also taken it in high school, she could read Spanish fine, but couldn’t speak it as well. Listening to the two of them, she was able to make out ‘daddy....friend...upset....and hurt’ before their words grew low, and they walked farther down the stable. Liz wandered around the stables, giving each horse a gentle pat on the nose.

“Hey” Max whispered as he came up behind her. Liz jumped a little in surprise, and turned towards him.

“Hey....everything ok” she asked, seeing the slight frown in his brow. Max ran a tried hand threw his hair, and gave her a weak smile.

“Yeah, just something I have to take care of later” he answered, not elaborating any further. He didn’t want what Rachel and him discussed to put a damper on their ride. He would have to talk to Michael tomorrow. He just wanted to spend the evening getting to know her better. He smiled, his face losing the evidence of tension that was there seconds earlier.

“Ok” she smiled, seeing the way he seemed to relax.

“So, you ready to go riding” he asked her, leading Lady out of her stall. Liz looked up at the huge animal, and wasn’t so sure this was a good idea. Max saw her back up, and could see the tiny hint of fear in her eyes.

“Hey, we don’t have to go if you don’t want too” he tried to soothed her. Before she could answer, Amber came running up to him.

“Look daddy, look what Rafael got me” she hoisted up the guitar for he could see. Max looked at the guitar in his daughters hands, before raising a eyebrow at Rafael. Rafael only shrugged his shoulders, and plastered on a big smile.

“Señor Evans” Rafael stretched out his hand.

“Rafael...welcome back” he shook the younger mans hand. “That’s quite a gift” Rafael only ducked his head. Mr. Evans was always getting on him about Amber, but he couldn’t help it, she reminded him of his little sister back in Mexico.

“It must of cost you a lot” Max took in the etiquette detailed design on the guitar, and knew it had to have cost him a nice chunk of change, and he knew how hard Rafael fought to keep his head above water. Reaching into his back pocket, he pulled out his wallet. Seeing what he was about to do, Rafael quickly declined.

“Don’t worry Mr. E, my uncle makes them, and after I told him about Amber, he made that one especially for her” he assured. Max watched Amber as she strummed out a few notes, before beaming up at him proudly. He wasn’t upset about the gift, in fact, he had planned on getting her one for her birthday next month, but now it looked like he was going to have to find something else to get her.

“Shall I saddle up Thunder for you Mr. E” Max looked at the large thoroughbred. Thunder was an fine horse, with a nice ride, but he also had a temper, and would buck at the most untimely times.

“No thanks Rafael, I think I’ll take Lady here” he patted the silky brown mane of the mare. She was also a thoroughbred, but she was very gentle, just right for a first timer. Together Max and Rafael saddled up Lady, as Amber finished saddling up Charcoal. Liz wondered briefly which horse she was going to be riding, because they had only saddled up the two. Amber grabbed Charcoal’s reign, and threw them a eager smile.

“Hurry up daddy” she beamed, leading Charcoal out of the stables. Max quickly mounted Lady.

“Well you heard her, come on” he reached out his hand to her, and Liz looked at it with a questionable stare. Seeing her hesitation, Max smiled warmly down at her. “Don’t worry, I don’t bite” he teased. At his words, Liz couldn’t help the slight shiver that ran threw her body at the naughty thoughts that race briefly threw her head. Realizing he was still waiting on her, Liz placed her small hand into his much larger, warm one. Again there goes those shivers, she thought to herself. Max lifted her with ease onto Lady, and settled her snugly in front of him. Liz wavered a little from the close contact, and Max wrapped a protective hold around her waist.

“Hold on tight, I wouldn’t want you to fall” his voice was hot and husky against her ear, and she mutely nodded. Max swallowed hard when he mistakenly inhaled her scent. His hand on the reign tighten, and he wondered briefly if he would be able to survive the ride with her in such close proximity.

“Max, is everything ok” she asked when he hadn’t moved and she felt him tense behind her.

“Y-yeah..everything’s fine” he croaked out, realizing he had been caught. “Shall we” he smiled, giving the reigns a little tug, and tapping his feet against Lady’s side. Slowly, they began to trot out of the stables. Max notice how Liz tensed when the horse began to move. “Relax, you’ll enjoy it more” he chuckled, a slight sexual hint in his voice. The way his hard body felt against her back, and the brush of his breath on her neck, she couldn’t help but surrender to his request, and she melted against him.

Amber, who was standing outside the stables talking to Rachel and Rafael, frowned when she saw the two of them. The smile slide from her face, and a look of pure hate replaced it. Max trotted over too the trio, with a goofy smile on his face.

“Ready” he asked his daughter. Max was so into the fact that Liz was next to him, that he missed the expression on her face. Amber mounted the horse wordlessly, and followed grimly behind them.

LS..............
Check out my fics:
~~Lady Scorpio's Fics~~
Forever Mine
Love, Life and Danger
Generation Next
Running from the Past
The House
Down Low
God Sent
Returning to Love
Lady Scorpio
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Lady Scorpio »

Ok, I'm really sorry about that last post. Like I said my computer was going crazy, and still is. I got so frustrated with it, that I just called it a night. Dane122 Thanks, I guess I was either really frustrated or tried last night, because I do remember the controls..:lol: :lol: Anyhoo, thanks everyone for being patient, and here's part B

Chapter 6B

“She’s very good” Liz commented as they watched Amber and Charcoal glide over another gate. They had been riding the large estate for the last two hours. They had stopped to let the horses take a rest. As soon as they had dismounted the horses had wandered over to the small stream to get cooled down. Liz had been reluctant to leave the warmth of his embrace, but knew that she had no choice. They had been sitting under a weeping willow for the last hour, just talking and getting to know each other, something Amber hadn’t been thrilled about. So when Rafael had came riding up on Kicker. The two of them had began going around the obstacle course that Rachel held the horse competitions.

Max let go another breath as he watched Amber clear another wall. He was always a nervous wreck when she took to the course. He was always afraid that she would end up hurt. Sometimes he would forget to breath, thinking that if he did, something terrible would happen. “Yeah” again, he released another breath. Seeing the way his brow was tightened in worry, she placed a tender hand on his arm.

“Hey, are you ok” she asked concerned. Max looked over into her warm eyes, and gave her a smile. He found himself getting caught up in her eyes, and had to look away in order to stay in control.

“Yeah...it’s just watching her....I sometimes get nervous” he answered, his eyes taking a quick look in his daughters direction. Liz nodded her head in understanding. Max made a small chuckle “if I’m this nervous watching her practice, how in the word am I going to sit through a competition” he ran a hand threw his hair, and played with a blade of grass in his hands.

“So you’re going to let her compete” Liz smiled. Feeling that this was a big decision for him.

“Yes, yes I am” he turned to her. “Do you think I’m crazy for letting her enter” he asked, wanting any reason to back out. Liz turned in time to watch Amber and Charcoal go over the triple bar with ease.

“No, not at all. She’s an excellent rider, and watching the way she lights up when she’s riding, I think you’re making a good decision” she answered truthfully, hoping she had given him the answer he was looking for. Max nodded and leaned back against the tree. Wanting to take his mind off his worries, taking his lead, she leaned back against the tree, and crossed her legs at the ankle. She picked up a blade of grass, and began playing with it, and started another round of twenty questions. They had been playing the game while they had been riding, trying to get to know each other better. Liz had found out that his favorite color was green....his favorite food was pasta, he wasn’t into sports, he hated all the new age music and preferred listening to oldies like Otis Redding and Marvin Gaye. She also found out he had a older sister that was about to get married. She knew his dad was a lawyer, and his mom was a retired school teacher.

“What’s your favorite ice cream” she asked him? Max thought about it for a moment, before a smile graced his lips.

“Chocolate.....yours?”

“Cookies and Cream......favorite movie”

“Ice Age....what, I have a seven year old....I don’t get out much for adult entertainment” he answered sheepishly when she raised an eyebrow at him.

“Ok..um, favorite flower” she continued.

“Lilies....you” Liz eyes widen, and a huge smile came across her face.

“Lilies” she answered shyly. Max looked at her, and he smiled big.

“My turn” he smiled “favorite pastime” he already knew the answer, but loved to see the way her eyes lit up when talking about it.

“Working in the lab....” she began “...and cooking” she answered, laughing at his shocked expression. “What, contrary to what everyone thinks, working in the lab isn’t the only thing that brings me pleasure.....not to toot my own horn, but I can get down in the kitchen” she challenged. Max remembered the soup she had made, and the batch of oatmeal cookies she had made for the crew, and if those were just small samples of what she could do, he definitely couldn’t argue with her.

“What about you” she asked, settling back against the tree. Max’s eyes immediately landed on Amber.

“I guess when I’m not working or spending time with Amber and my family....um, I like to draw” Liz turned fully towards him. She couldn’t believe that such an amazing man hadn’t been snatched up already.

“You draw” she asked in awe.

“Yeah, it helps me relax” truth was, Max had been drawing since he knew what a pencil and paper were. When other teens were out partying or playing sports, Max would be at home, drawing. He had won several art competitions over the years, and had received a scholarship to the university of New York, where he was going to become an architect. It had been the summer before he was to be a freshman at UNY, when he had gotten the call from the hospital regarding Amber. He had made a decision to pass on the scholarship, and attend the local JC, not wanting to leave his parents to watch after Amber. It had taken him five in a half years to finally receive a dual degree in Business Management and Architecture. Michael had never been fond of school, but because of his parents strictness, he maintained a 4.0 GPA. Because of their iron fist parenting, when they graduated, despite his parents plans for him to attend Yale, Michael took a much needed vacation, and explored the world for two years. When he had arrived back in the states, his parents were adamant about him attending college and following in his fathers footsteps and become a doctor. But once again Michael had fought against them, and instead went to a trade school where he study construction and electricity. He liked to work with his hands, but he didn’t want the stress that being a doctor held.

Since both of them were into houses and such, they started their own reality/architectural firm....E&G Reality. Max had designed several houses that sold for thousands of dollars, one in which his sister Isabel and her soon to be husband Alex had snatched hot off the sketch pad. It had taken Michael and their crew close to a year to finish it, because of the many times she had made Max change the plans. It was the last time he vowed to ever mix business with family. Liz had been shocked to learn that Max was the E in E&G Reality, earlier during their first round of twenty questions. She hadn’t learned much except that he and Michael owned the company, she didn’t ask to many questions about the details.

“What to you like to draw” she asked, her curiosity peaked.

“Well I like to draw houses....obviously considering my line of work” he smiled, and she ducked her head shyly. “When I’m not drawing houses or buildings, I guess my favorite subject is Amber or my family” he shrugged, his eyes traveling to his daughter.

“Wow, I would really like to see some of your drawings.....I mean...that is if I could” she smiled.

“Of course, I would like for you to see them” Max didn’t know what possessed him to say that. Besides his work for the firm, he never let anyone see his personal collection of drawings, and now here he is willing to let her see them. Max couldn’t explain what was happening, all he knew was his insides were jumping for joy with the possibility of spending more time with her.

“What?” Liz asked when his stare grew to intense for her. Max lean forward, and brushed a strand of hair out of her face. Liz inhaled sharply when his finger grazed her right cheek.

“You have beautiful cheek bones” he blushed at her confused look. “I would love to draw you” realizing how straightforward he was being, Max dropped his hand, and stared down his lap.

“I would like that...” Max’s eyes shoot up to hers, and he was met with a sparkling smile. Max nodded, and they soon turned their attention back to Amber, who had just finished a combination jump.

The evening soon turned into night, and they had returned the horses back to their stalls. Max had informed Amber that she was indeed allowed to ride in the competition, and she had been extremely happy. She had even shown genuine interest when Liz had made friendly conversation with her when they were walking out to the cars.

“I really had a great time today” Liz said as they reached her car. “Thank you Amber for let me come along. I know this was suppose to be just you and your dad, but I really appreciate it” Amber nodded, and gave her a smile.

“Daddy can I have the keys” she asked, looking up at him. Max fished out his keys and handed them to her.

“Night Amber”

“Night Ms. Liz” Amber made her way to the car. Unlocking the door, she slid into the passengers side. She watched with a scrutinizing eye as her dad and Liz exchanged goodnight. Max and Liz stood nervously in the middle of the parking lot. Neither knew what to say.

“Um..” Max rubbed the back of his neck.

“Yeah” Liz shifted from foot to foot. Again silence fell over them.

Honk! Max turned to see Amber staring impatiently at them.

“I guess that’s my cue” Max chuckled. “Look Liz, I really enjoyed spending time with you” he rushed out.

“Me too....um, maybe we could do something again together if you want” she offered.

“Sure, I’ll give you a call tomorrow” he smiled.

“Okay...goodnight Max”

“Night Liz” Max began walking backwards towards his car, all the time his eyes fix on her. Liz fumbled with the key and lock, her eyes locked with his. Max bumped into his car, breaking their staring match. Liz slid into her car, giving him a quick wave as she drove out the parking lot.

“You know I was coming” Max stated as he placed the key in the ignition. Glancing at his daughter, she raised an eyebrow at him, before turning the key and heading home.

“Aunt Isabel” Amber yelled when they enter the house. She ran from room to room until she finally found her in the den.

“Amber” Isabel smiled at her niece as she slammed into her. “Max” she addressed her brother, Max nodded and sat down in the armchair. “My, look at you. You’re getting big. The last time I seen you, you were this big” Isabel teased, her hand resting in the middle of her stomach. “Now you’re nearly as tall as me” Isabel placed her hand on her hips and sending her a mock glare.

“Aunt Isabel, you just seen me last week” she rolled her eyes playfully. Max watched the two of them sit down and chatter like there was no tomorrow. Max felt a pain shoot thru his chest as he watched the way Amber clung to Isabel. He knew she was at the age were she knew that their household was different. Most kids in Amber’s class had a mother and father, but she only had a father. Max had tried to give her all the love in the world, surrounded her with mother figures like his mom and Isabel, but he knew that it would never replace her mother. It was times like these that he really felt hatred towards Lillian for leaving like she did, but then he had to remind himself that if she hadn’t, would he even be a part of Amber’s life.

“So are you all packed, Alex will be here any moment” Isabel asked her.

“Yeah, my bag’s in my room” she rushed towards her room leaving brother and sister in silence.

“So...did you have fun horseback riding” Isabel asked with a frown. She had called Michael earlier looking for him, and he had informed her that Max had taken Amber riding with someone name Liz. Max groaned, knowing that look.

“Don’t start Is” he warned getting up and heading into the kitchen. Of course, Isabel followed.

“Start what, I just asked how was the ride” Max gave her a look.

“Cut the crap, I know Michael told you about Liz, and before you even ask....none of your business” he handed her a orange juice, which she accepted but sat on the corner. She sat down across from him at the table.

“What? You always think I’m going to question you”

“Aren’t you” he raised an eyebrow at her.

“I wasn’t, but now that you’ve brought it up, who’s Liz”

“No one”

“You don’t spend a evening with no one” she answered, pushing him for more.

“Isabel, I’m not getting into this with you right now” he took a swig of his drink.

“Fine, be that way” she pouted. Oh no, Max thought, here it comes. “I just wanted to know what has been going on with you. We don’t talk like we use too. Forgive me if I’m just trying to show some interest and want to know who is around my niece” she huffed. She stood up to walk away, only to have Max grab her wrist. He didn’t know why he let her get to him like this. He knew she was playing him, she always did this, but she was also right. They hadn’t talked as much lately, with her planning her wedding, and him working and tending to Amber. The corner of Isabel’s lips twitched as he motioned for her to sit back down.

“As you know her names Liz. She and her friend Maria...”

“Wait, Michael’s Maria” she asked.

“Yeah, anyways, they bought the house on over on Marcus...”

“She’s a client Max” she asked in shock. Max knew she’d point that out.

“Don’t start are I won’t finish” he challenged. Isabel pouted and folder her arms across her chest, leaning back against the chair. Even though she didn’t approve of him dating a client, she sat back and listened. Max saw that she wasn’t going to interrupt, he continued. Once he was finished, Isabel sat there for a moment, before finally speaking.

“How does Amber feel about this new relationship” she asked, always concerned for her niece, especially after that whole Becky thing.

“There is no relationship...” he started.

“Yet, but you want there to be, I can see it in your eyes Max” Max lowered his head, she could always read him so well. Max ran a hand threw his hair.

“Honestly, I don’t know. She won’t talk to me about how she feels lately. I know that there’s some extreme tension in the air when the two of them are together. Do you think you can talk to her for me, see what’s bothering her. If she won’t talk to me, maybe she’ll talk to you” he pleaded.

“Of course Max. Maybe after our fitting tomorrow, I’ll take her out to dinner, and we can have a heart to heart” she smiled.

“Thanks Isabel” he placed a relieved hand over hers. Just then, Alex’s voice boomed through the house.

“Uncle Alex” Amber shouted, running down the hall, backpack in hand. Alex caught her as she jumped into his awaiting arms. Even though they weren’t officially married yet, Amber had been calling Alex uncle for as long as she could remember. Alex and Isabel had been together since their sophomore year in high school. Alex had transfer schools his sophomore year, and Isabel had been assigned to show him around. They had hit it off instantly, and two months later they were a couple. Alex spun her around, before setting her back down.

“Guess which hand” he smiled, holding his fisted hands out towards her. Playing the game they had been playing since she was three. Max and Isabel walked in at that moment.

“Alex, how many times do I have to tell you to stop spoiling her” Max admonished.

“Maxwell, and how many times do I have to tell you that you can’t tell me to stop spoiling my own niece” both men smiling big at the other. Amber pointed to her uncles right hand, and he opened it to reveal a ten dollar bill.

“Thanks uncle Alex” she kissed him on the cheek. She ran back to her room to get her guitar, returning a few seconds later.

“So..” Alex clapped his hands together. “..are my two favorite girls ready” both nodded eagerly.

“Bye daddy” Amber gave him a big kiss and hugged him tightly.

“Night baby....I love you” he ran a hand down her hair and squeezed her back.

“I love you too” she pulled back, and picked up her bag and guitar.

“Bye Max” Isabel hugged him.

“Bye Is, and please don’t let her stay up too late “ he warned, knowing she was going to do the opposite.

“Later Max”

“Alex” Max nodded. Soon he was alone. He showered, and sunk into his bed, sleep capturing him instantly.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Amber’s POV

I pick silently at the food on my plate. I can feel my Aunt Isabel’s eyes on me, and I know she’s waiting on an answer to her question. We had just left Ms. Denesa’s bridal shop, were I was fitted for my bridesmaids dress. We had been having a wonderful day. When we had woke up, the three of us had watched cartoons in our pajamas, before Uncle Alex had to go in to work. Later, Aunt Isabel had taken me to the beauty salon, and we had gotten our nails and feet done. But now she had to go and ruin it by mentioning Liz.

She’s been asking me about my feelings towards Liz and what do I think about her being with my dad. Honestly, I don’t even know the answer to that question. I mean I’m not blind. I can see a look in my daddy’s eyes that I haven’t seen before. A look that means that Liz may be a constant factor in our lives. I mean Liz is a nice person, and maybe she would be great for my dad, could love him the way Uncle Alex loves Aunt Isabel. But the question is.....can she love me?

I feel the tears forming in my eyes, and I desperately push them back. I don’t want Aunt Isabel to worry, although from my silence, I know she already is.

“Can we go” I ask her. I watched her nod mutely, before motioning for the waiter for the check. We walk in silence to her car, and I fasten my seatbelt once we are inside. She looks over at me, but I avoid her gaze like the plague. We arrive back at her house, and I immediately make my retreat to my room. Once inside, I sit down on my bed, and picked up my guitar. I began strumming out notes.

I’ve always had a great relationship with my daddy. I mean it’s been just him and me for the longest. Of course, there have been a few women that have come and gone in the shortest of my seven years. Lets see, there was April. She came around when I was three. I remembered her, because I remember her hair. How it remained me of the sun the way it shined. I remember the day I met her. I guess her and my daddy had been talking for some time, and one day he had sat me down and told me that he had met a special friend, and he wanted me to met her. I had been so excited when I met her, thinking that she was going to be my mommy, since I never had one. But that happiness soon turn to confusion and hurt when she didn’t come around anymore.

Then there was Tina. She was ok. I mean she seemed to accept me, but she didn’t want me around when she wanted all of my daddy’s attention. Let’s see, there was Susan, Karen, Melissa and Julie. My grandma and Aunt Isabel thought that my daddy needed to find a mother for me. But, all of them wanted my daddy, but not me. None of them had actually out right and said it, but as soon as they met me, we wouldn’t see them again.

The last one was Becky. I was five when she made a presence in our lives. She worked with Aunt Isabel. She was extremely nice too me, and she had actually stuck around after she had met me. We did things together, my daddy...Becky and me. She would brush my hair and take me shopping. She would even come to the school and have lunch with me. I was so happy, I thought I would finally have a mommy like all the other kids in my class. Daddy was happy, I was happy. Everything was perfect.

That perfect life soon fell threw. One day my daddy had to go out of town on business. Becky had offered to watch me, and I was happy to stay with her. We had dropped my daddy off at the airport and arrived back at home. We had been watching Lilo and Stitch, when I went to get us something to drink. I was in such a hurry to get back to the movie that I tripped and spilled the soda all over Becky. I don’t know what happened, but before I could say sorry, I felt the back of her hand slam hard against my face.

“You little Bitch, I swear, if it wasn’t for your father.....” I remember the tears as they hotly ran down my cheeks. “I swear I can’t stand kids...” she had yanked me by the arm, and dragged me to my room. “Just wait, I have your father so wrapped around my fingers, and once I have his ring on it also, you are going to be shipped off to boarding school so fast, your head will be spinning...” I had stood there in shook and fear. “You’re such a bother, your own mother didn’t want you, that’s why she left you....abandoned you....threw you away like the trash you are”

“T-that’s not true” I remember crying, but she laughed and told me that I would never have a mommy. I don’t know what caused her to say such mean things to me. I had stayed in my room the rest of the night, and for the next three days she had turned into the Wicked Stepmother. When my daddy had came home, she had threatened me that if I told him what happened, he wouldn’t believe me, and would only hate me for trying to ruin his happiness.

So I kept quite. I got really sick afterwards, so sick that I was in the hospital for two days. No one knew what was wrong, but I knew. I didn’t want to have my daddy mad at me, I wanted him to be happy. But it didn’t matter, he had eventually broke things off with Becky. He had told her that a relationship wasn’t something he could handle at the time, especially with me being sick.. She had been furious. She had yelled and blamed me, and it had taken Uncle Alex and Michael and grandpa to pull Aunt Isabel off her. I still haven’t told daddy what had happened. I know he would blame himself, and I don’t won’t him to feel guilty. After that, daddy stopped dating. He never really liked to date, and I think that the only reason he did was because he thought I needed a mommy.

I don’t know what I did wrong. I was on my best behavior to all of them. I went out of my way to show them that I could be a good daughter....their daughter. But I guess that wasn’t enough. I guess she was right, I’m not worthy to have a mother.

I guess that’s why I treat Liz the way I do. I mean maybe if I’m nasty enough, she will go away, because I know she’s only interested in my daddy. No, I won’t get attached like the last times. Instead, I won’t let her anywhere close to me or my daddy. I won't let her hurt us. I guess me and my daddy are alike. We both wear our hearts on our sleeves. But I won’t..never again. She’ll never love me....I don’t deserve a mother, right? I mean my own didn’t want me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
AUTHOR'S NOTE

Ok, what do you think? This was my first POV. I don't know how it went over. I wanted to give you guys a little insight into little Amber's mind. She's not a bad kid, she has just been thru a lot in her little seven years. Some things Max doesn't even know about, which will be revealed shortly. But like I said just wanted you to see things from her side of view. I think, depending on how this POV goes over, we will see a little more of Amber's POV...........................

XOXOXOXOXOX

LS
Check out my fics:
~~Lady Scorpio's Fics~~
Forever Mine
Love, Life and Danger
Generation Next
Running from the Past
The House
Down Low
God Sent
Returning to Love
Lady Scorpio
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Lady Scorpio »

Ok, I just realized that I hadn't post the next chapter to this story. I've had it written for the last two days, and I had edited one night, and I thought I posted it, but I've been working on my other stories, when I saw I didn't post this.... :oops: Anyhoo, here it is. I'm off to work on my other stories.........................

Chapter 7

“Lizzy!” Nancy beamed, weaving her way thru the crowded airport, Jeff following closely behind her.

“Mom....dad..” Liz jumped up and down, waving her hand, pushing her way thru the large masses.

“Lizzy” she smiled/cried when they finally reached each other. She was squeezing Liz so tight, never wanting to let her go. Liz pulled back and bit back the urge to groan when her mom brushed her hair over her shoulder, and held her at arms length. She knew what she was doing. She had been doing it every since Liz went off to college.

“My god look at you....you’re nothing but skin and bones”

“Mom” Liz whined. She knew her mother didn’t mean any harm, and was only being motherly and worried about her, but sometimes, Liz wished she didn’t worry so much.

“Oh Nancy, leave the girl be..” Jeff smiled, pulling Liz into his embrace. “How’s my girl?” Jeff asked as he pulled back.

“I’m good daddy”

“What did I say Jeff...I’m just saying, I don’t know how a girl could love to cook as much as Liz, but weigh nothing” Nancy laughed.

“It’s genetics....I get it from dads side” Liz teased as they began walking to baggage claim.

“I have you know, I was a knock out at your age” Nancy challenged playfully.

“You still are dear” Jeff assured, throwing his arm around his wife’s shoulder, and giving her a noisy kiss on the cheek. Liz slowed down some, and watched as her parents began talking softly and giggling with each other. Occasionally her dad would leaned down and kiss her mother. ‘Oh my god, did my dad just swat my mom on the butt’ Liz thought. ‘He did..eww!’ They arrived at baggage claim and gathered their bags. Max and his crew had finally finished the basement stairs, and they were now having an official house warming. Amy and Jim had arrived the night before with Kyle and Maria’s younger brother Tad. They were all having lunch with Kyle and the twins.

“Oh my god Lizzy, it’s beautiful” Nancy beamed as they pulled up to the house. Liz smiled proudly. Climbing out of the truck, she helped her dad with the bags, before leading them into the house. Liz gave them the grand tour. Proudly pointing out each room. She finished in the basement.

“This is wonderful Liz, you really did good. I’m proud of you” Jeff pulled her into a hug, and Liz felt herself smile brightly. Her parents opinion meant a lot to her.

“Your father’s right dear...you did a fine job, and you really lucked out with this lab” Nancy exclaimed as she walked around the lab. She had to admit, she wasn’t to fond of the idea of Liz and Maria moving to Georgia. She really didn’t like for her to be so far away from them. It had taken her awhile to accept her going to college in Albuquerque, and that was two hours away from Roswell. So when she announced that she had gotten a job offer in Georgia last year, she had been upset. She knew Liz was a grown woman, but no matter what, she was still her baby. She didn’t feel comfortable with the idea that Liz would be thousands of miles away from her and her father, but she knew there was nothing she could do about it. Liz had always been an excellent student and hard worker. She knew that an opportunity that Liz was offered, was something Liz had been dreaming about since she was six. So she had found the strength to let her go, and it helped that Kyle also lived here, so she didn’t have to worry about the girls being alone in a strange city.

“Thanks mom....dad” Liz looked at her watch, and saw that it was a little after noon. “Are you guys hungry?”

“You know, I could use a little something myself. Are you cooking” Jeff asked hopefully. He had missed her cooking. Every time she would come home from college, she would insist on cooking. He and Nancy never stepped a foot in the kitchen when she was home. He knew it helped her relaxed, and since she loved to do it, they never argued with her.

“Of course daddy....whatever you’d like” she smiled, heading back upstairs.

“So sweetie, how’s everything at work” Jeff asked, taking another bite of his apple pie. They had enjoyed a small lunch, and were now having desert out on the back porch. Liz watched Pepper as she chased after the ball her mother had thrown to her.

“It’s great daddy...I have an excellent team, and we’re working on some really big breakthroughs” she smiled. Jeff nodded, taking a sip of his coffee.

“That’s great honey. Pretty soon, you’ll have the cure for Cancer” Nancy beamed.

“I don’t know about that mom..” Liz chuckled. “But I’m trying.”

“Sooo!” Jeff began. ‘Uh oh’ Liz thought, she knew what that change in his voice meant. “Anyone new in your life” he started.

“Daddy” Liz groaned.

“What?” he asked innocently. Liz looked to her mother for help, but she had a look of expectance in her eyes also. Liz leaned back in her chair defeated.

“How did you know” Liz asked, having a pretty good idea how they found out.

“It’s ashamed I have to hear from Amy that you’re dating someone, and it seems to be serious” Nancy said, a trace of hurt in her voice.

“Maria has a big mouth” Liz mumbled.

“Don’t be mad at Maria, at least she talks to her parents about what’s going on in her life” Jeff raised an eyebrow at her.

“Apparently she wasn’t just talking about her life was she” Liz answered bitterly.

“Don’t get all defensive. We would just like to know what’s been going on with you. You hardly call, and when you do, it’s for a quick hello and then you’re gone. If I have to go to Amy to find out what’s going on with my own daughter, so be it” Nancy said, sipping her drink.

“You guys..” Liz whined. “It’s not like I don’t want you to know what’s going on in my life. It’s just that I’ve been really busy at the lab, and trying to get the house together” she answered lamely.

“We know you’re busy honey, but it seems you have time for this Max fellow and..”

“Nancy!” Jeff warned. “Liz, we’re not trying to come down on you. We’d just like to know what’s going on with you” he patted her hand soothingly, seeing that she was starting to get upset at their questioning. Liz felt bad. It was true, she would never be nominated for daughter of the year. When she was in high school, she was so busy with the Science Club, the student council and spending time with her friends, she rarely spent a lot of time with them. When she went away to college, she barely called home. When she did make it home, if she wasn’t in the kitchen, she was out with Maria.

“I’m sorry. I know that I don’t call home as much as I should, and I promise that’s going to change” she assured them.

“Thank you, that’s all we ask” Jeff leaned back, taking Nancy’s hand in his. Still feeling badly, Liz turned to her parents.

“His names Max..Max Evans” her parents turned, giving her their full attention, happy that she was going to share a part of her life with them. “He’s an architect and alone with his best friend Michael, they own a reality slash architecture firm. In fact, this is one of their properties” she finished.

“Really” Jeff was impressed.

“So how old is he” Nancy asked, now that Liz had opened up, she wanted to know as much as possible.

“Twenty six” she answered, expecting their rounds of questions. Besides Kyle, she had never dated anyone else, and she knew they would want to know everything about Max she was willing to give.

“Ah..you always did like older men” Jeff teased.

“Daddy, he’s only three years older” Liz swatted his arm playfully. Jeff threw up his hands in surrender.

“Okay, okay” he laughed. “The real question is, does he treat my Babygirl right?” Jeff asked, going into protective father mode. Nancy and Jeff shared a look when Liz ducked her head, but not before they saw the toothy grin that graced her face. Liz fiddled with her hands in her lap. ‘Did he treat her right’ Liz smiled. Max treated her like a queen. After their little horseback riding date, he had called her the next morning asking her to lunch. Amber had been with his sister, so it had been just the two of them. They had talk and learned more about each other. After lunch they had taken a stroll in a nearby park, were they had sat and talked some more. That was a month ago, and they had been on numerous dates, and on each one of them, Max made sure to treat her with the upmost respect. They hadn’t even share a kiss, something Liz hoped to soon change, but she was happy with how things were going. There had been so incidences with Amber, but Liz was still working on that.

“Yeah, he’s wonderful daddy” Liz finally spoke, her eyes holding a spark her parents had never seen before. They nodded their heads, thinking.

“Mom...dad, there’s something you should know about Max” she spoke hesitantly. Nancy and Jeff’s concern rose at her statement.

“What?” they asked in unison. Liz tucked a strand of her hair behind her ears, and she fidgeted nervously. She felt like she was sixteen years old and she had just got caught seeking in after curfew.

“It’s nothing bad..I mean, I thought you should know before the party tomorrow, since he’ll be here”

“What is it Liz” her father urged her to continue. Liz took a deep breath, before speaking.

“Maxhasadaughter” Liz rushed out, unable to look at her parents. It wasn’t like she was ashamed or anything, she just knew her parents.

“Excuse me” Nancy said, not quite sure if what she hear was right. Liz blew out a huge breath.

“I said, Max has a daughter...her name’s Amber” she told them, waiting on their reaction. She didn’t have to wait long.

“He has a child” her mothers shocked voice asked.

“Yes”

“How old is she” he father asked.

“Seven, she’ll be eight next week” she answered. She could see them doing the math in their heads.

“That means he was only eighteen when she was born” her dad frowned in disapproval.

“Liz, what are you doing” her mother asked, rubbing the bridge of her nose. She could feel a slight headache rising.

“What do you mean, mom?”

“I mean, Liz dating someone with a child can be hard. You’re only twenty three, do you really think this is a wise decision” Nancy replied. Liz looked at her with a scolding look.

“Mom, I know what I’m doing”

“Do you. Going into a ready made family isn’t easy...what do you know about raising a child” Nancy cornered.

“God mom, you act like I’m ready to run off to Vegas and get married. We’ve only began dating” Liz gawked.

“Please Liz” Nancy rolled her eyes. “Trust me, I know that look in your eyes. It’s the exact same look I had when your father and I first got together. That whole love at first sight thing, I know the look.”

“What look, I don’t have a look” Liz defended weakly. Knowing exactly what her mother was talking about. Seeing that things had the potential to get heated, Jeff cleared his throat, and tried to stir the conversation to calmer waters.

“Liz, I think what your mother is trying to say is, that dating someone with a child could be hard. I mean not only do you have to worry about Max’s feelings, you also have Amber’s to factor in...”

“Not to mention her mother’s” Nancy threw in.

“Amber’s mother isn’t around” she whispered. Although she didn’t have all the details, Max had told her that Amber’s mom wasn’t in the picture, and she didn’t ask him any questions. She could tell the subject wasn’t something he liked to talk about. Right before Nancy could comment on that little bit of information, Jeff placed a hand over her mouth.

“Liz, all we want is for you to be happy. We know you are a good judge of character, and just know that we trust you and your decisions, don’t we Nance” he looked pointy at his wife, who nodded stiffly. She wasn’t thrilled about it. Liz was young, and she didn’t think she should be rushing into a ready made family. But Liz was a grown woman, and no matter what, she had no say so over who she dated. “All we ask is that you be careful” her dad finished, placing a kiss on her forehead. Liz nodded and smiled gratefully at her parents. Leaning back, she tucked her feet under her, and the three of them sat out on the back porch, talking and watching Pepper as she chewed happily on Max’s shoe.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Will you cut it out already” Michael snapped in irritation. They had just arrived at Maria and Liz’s, and Max was a nervous wreck next to him. Amber looked up at her daddy, and a tiny smirk played on her lips. She knew her daddy was nervous because Liz’s parents were going to be here tonight.

Despite her many efforts, Liz was still a factor in their lives. It wasn’t like she hadn’t tried numerous times to push her away. It seemed the harder she tried, the more she came around. After their horseback riding, it seemed that things between them got closer. Amber had seen them as they sat under the old weeping willow, laughing and talking. When she had came home from her aunt’s the next evening, they had been sitting in the living room watching a movie. Her daddy hadn’t been expecting them home so soon, so when they heard them come in, she could see the guilty expression on their faces. She had only looked between the two of them, before retreating to her room. They had been together a month now, but of course that month was an easy one......

”I don’t know what’s wrong with her Max, all she’s saying is her stomach hurts and that she wants you” Michael looked over at his niece, who was lying on the couch in a little ball. She was making some noises that were worrying him. She had never been sick while she was with him. He had thought about calling his mom to come over, but he didn’t want to have another fight with her like the one they had earlier. The Evans were at a fundraiser, and Alex and Isabel were both out of town. He had tried Maria, but only got her voice mail.

“Okay, calm down Michael, I’ll be right there” Max gave Liz an apologetic look. He assured Michael once again before hanging up.

“Is everything okay” Liz asked. Max sighed disappointedly. They had just sat down at the restaurant no more then twenty minutes ago. The waiter had just left with their drink order.

“Liz I’m really sorry.....it’s Amber, she’s not feeling well, and Michael’s freaking out......I really hate to do this....and I’m extremely sorry....”

“Max...”Liz smiled, cutting him off before he could continue his rambling. “..it’s okay, I understand” she smiled sincerely. Reluctantly, the two of them left and headed to his house.

“Daddy” Amber smiled when Max walked in.

“Thank God” Michael mumbled, flopping down in the nearest seat. Amber’s smile fell when she saw Liz standing in the hall over her daddy’s shoulder.

“How are you doing sweetheart” Max brushed his hand over her forehead and rubbed his other gently against her tummy. Pulling her eyes away from Liz, Amber turned back to her daddy.

“My stomach hurts really badly” she pouted, mustering up some big crocodile tears.

“It’s okay Tickles, daddy’s here” Max kissed her forehead tenderly. Standing, he turned to Liz. Making his way over, he nervously stuffed his hands in his pocket. Liz had been watching the tender way Max was with Amber, and her heart swelled. From the first moment she had laid eyes on him, she couldn’t deny the strong feelings she felt for him. Seeing the gentle and nurturing way he was with his daughter, she knew he was an excellent father, but to actually see him...the tenderness, it made her feelings for him more stronger.

“Liz, I’m really sorry” Max started.

“Max stop apologizing, it’s okay. We can get together another time” Liz smiled. Max couldn’t help the smile that graced his face.

“I would like that” he said, happy that she wasn’t put off by him being a single father. They lingered in the hall, just smiling goofily at each other.

“Hey, I’m heading out Maxwell....Liz you need a lift” Michael asked, shaking his head at the love sick look on their faces.

“Yeah thanks Michael” Liz and Max said their good byes, before he turned and walked over to the sofa. Picking Amber up, she wrapped her arms around his neck, and rested her head against his shoulder.

“Night RugRat, I hope you feel better” Michael kissed his nieces head and tweaked her nose.

“Bye uncle Michael....love you”

“Love you too” he smiled.

“Bye Amber, I hope you feel better soon” Liz smiled.

“Bye bye Ms. Liz” Liz’s eyes narrowed when she saw the small smirk on the little girls face. The two of them stared the other down until Liz was forced to break eye contact when Michael tapped her on the arm.

“You ready” he asked.

“Yeah” Max watched longingly as Liz and Michael disappeared out the front door.

“Come on Tickles, lets get you in bed” turning off the downstairs lights, Max carried his daughter upstairs to her room, where he gave her some Pepto Bismol and read her a bedtime story.

On their second date, Amber had somehow managed to get her head stuck in the banister, and they had to rush home from the movies to tend to her.

”How did you managed to do this” Max asked his daughter, as he examined her head in between the narrow bars.

“I don’t know, I was playing and all of a sudden I couldn’t get my head out” Amber answered. Liz, who was standing off to the side, noticed how calm she was for someone with their head stuck in a stair banister. Definitely not the panic child Michael had described over the phone.

“And how did you let this happen” Max asked Michael who was trying hard to keep from laughing.

“Hey” Michael threw up his hands in defense. “I was fixing her something to eat, and the next thing I know she was screaming for help....in my defense, I offered to cut her out, but every time I got near her with the saw, she would scream Bloody Mary” Michael chuckled.

“He was going to cut my head off” Amber pouted from her spot on the stairs. Max rolled his eyes heavenward. He heard Liz giggle slightly, he turned and gave her a apologetic smile. He wouldn’t be surprised if she never went out with him again. Liz watched as Michael and Max tried unsuccessfully to wretch Amber’s head free.

“I’m sorry sweetie, it looks like we’ll have to cut you out” Max sighed in frustration.

“No!” Ambers panic voice vibrated around them.

“Here let me try” Liz said, walking into the hall with two sticks of butter.

“What are you doing” Michael asked her as she unwrapped the sticks.

“Trust me, Maria’s brother Tad got his head stuck like this once, and we had to think quick before her parents got home...” Liz squished the butter in her hands before rubbing it all over Amber’s head. “We were able to slide his head right through with it being so slippery from the butter..”

“Eeewww!!!” Amber whined as Liz rubbed the butter all over her head,

“Now...” Liz pushed on her head, and a few seconds later, Amber’s head was free.

“That’ll teach you to stick your head in tight places” Michael laughed at his niece, handing her a towel. Amber glared at her uncle.

“Thanks Liz” Max smiled, handing her a towel.

“No problem” Max and Michael went into the back to put away his tools, leaving Amber and Liz alone.

Liz met Amber’s eye, which were currently glaring at her. She raised an eyebrow at her, and smiled triumphantly at her. She knew what Amber was doing, and she wasn’t going to let her run her off. She knew she could have gotten her head out another way, but she had to let Amber know she was on to her. Amber stood up and stomped her foot angrily before running up the stairs and slamming the door to her room.

Amber had did everything in her power to try and run Liz off, but she was still there....still trying to be her friend all so she could get in good with her daddy.

“Max.....Michael, I’m glad you could make it” Maria smiled, ushering them inside. “Hi Amber”

“Hi Ms. Maria” Amber smiled, looking around her at the other kids in the house. Several of Liz’s co-workers were there, and some of them had kids Ambers age.

“Thanks for having us” Max smiled, handing her a basket full of candles and such, something his mom had whipped up for him to give.

“Thanks Max...well, come on in” the three of the followed her into the living room. Once they entered, Max’s eyes immediately searched for Liz. He finally saw her standing in a corner talking to a couple. He watched as she laughed, loving the way her laughter sounded like music to his ears. As if feeling his eyes on her, Liz turned and met his eye. She smiled warmly at him. Turning to the couple, she said something before the man leaned over and kissed her on the cheeks. The man then looked him straight in the eye, and Max felt a shiver run down his spine.

“Max....Amber, Hi. I’m so glad to see you” Liz smiled. Amber was shocked to see that when she had said that, that she was staring at her the whole time, never once did she look at her daddy. “Come on..” again Amber was surprised when Liz took her hand and led her further into the living room. Amber looked back cautiously to her daddy, who only smiled and followed behind them. Liz went about introducing Amber and Max to the Deluca family, her friends and co-workers. Amber felt herself relax next to Liz, and she smiled politely when she was being introduced. She wondered briefly why Liz was being so nice to her when she had been nothing but mean to her.

“Mom...dad, this is Max” Liz smiled. “And this is Amber” Liz introduced the two new important people in her life to her parents. Jeff shook the young mans hand before him. Max shifted nervously as Liz’s dad gave him the once over. He was already sweating bullets from meeting Mr. Valenti, who made sure he and Michael knew that he was a sheriff, and he always carried his gun with him. Max looked over to Michael, he was standing with both Kyle and the Sheriff, and from the looks of it, they were laying the laws about dating Maria.

“Max it’s finally nice to met you” Nancy smiled, pulling him into a surprising hug. “And Amber, it very nice to meet you too...Liz has been talking about you non-stop” Nancy beamed, giving the little girl a motherly hug.

“She has?” Amber asked surprisingly, somewhat cautiously. Wondering if Liz had been telling them about all the bad things she has done.

“Umm humm. She has told us that you were very pretty, and which I would have to agree. And she says that you’re very smart, and you play the guitar and you are an excellent rider” Nancy rattled on. Amber looked up at Liz, who gave her a tender smile. Amber returned it, and in that moment, Amber let a little of her wall come down, and she let a little of Liz inside. The three girls soon began to talk amongst themselves. Maria waved them over, leaving Max and Mr. Parker alone.

“So Maxwell....” Max groaned inwardly, praying for the ground to open up and swallow him alive.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Hey stranger” Liz smiled, standing next to Max. Max smiled down at her.

“I’ll talk to you later...why don’t you call my office and we can set up an appointment” Max smiled to the gentlemen in front of him, handing him a business card.

“Later Max” the man said, he nodded to Liz and then left them alone.

“Hey yourself” Max smiled, following Liz over to the porch swing in the backyard. Max waited until she was seated, before sitting down next to her. Together they sat in silence, watching the kids as they played with Pepper.

“I’ve missed you all evening” Liz finally said shyly. Max felt liking dancing.

“I’ve missed you too, but you were busy, I understand” Max kicked his foot a little, giving the swing a little momentum. Liz smiled. Turning fully towards him, she crossed her legs under her.

“Max, I’m really sorry if my dad gave you a hard time. Sometimes he can be overly protective” she shrugged.

“It’s no problem. It wasn’t so bad. He just wanted to know what my intentions were and oh yeah.....threaten to cut my private off and serve it to me on a platter if I hurt you” Max smiled.

“What!?” Liz screamed, completely mortified. “I can’t believe he did that” she buried her face in her hands.

“Hey, it’s ok. He has nothing to worry about...I told him you were in good hands” Liz looked up into his eyes, and Max lifted his hand and played with a strand of her hair.

“Is that right” Liz raised an eyebrow at him, unconsciously leaning into his touch.

“Um hum” Max brushed his knuckles over her cheek, and smiled. He felt his heart began to beat faster in his chest as the distance between them closed. “You have soft skin” Max whispered, his fingers trailing down the side of her neck.

“Thank you” Liz blushed, her skin on fire from his simple touch. Max leaned in closer. He desperately wanted to kiss her. They had been dating for the last month, and although most of those dates ended in him having to rush home and tend to Amber. He had found it very difficult to spend the entire evening with her without wanting to kiss her.

“Max?” Liz whispered when she saw his face drew closer. Her tongue slipped out, wetting her lips, causing Max to groan.

“Can I kiss you Liz” he whispered, his breath brushing teasingly across her face.

“Please” she found the words tremble out her mouth shamelessly. Their eyes locked, and Max ran his hand through her hair, before cupping her cheek. His thumb stroked lovingly across her cheek before coming around to brush over her full pouty lips. Liz snaked her tongue out to taste him, and smile inwardly when a low growl rumbled from his chest.

“Liz” he whispered right before his lips collided with hers. The first touch of their lips was like magic. Liz felt like she was floating, and she reached for something to keep her anchor. Max felt her grip his shirt, and her sigh against him. Conquering his nerves, Max cautiously ran his tongue across her bottom lip, waiting on her reaction. Liz felt the tiny sweep of his tongue, and fell more into him, opening fully to his assault. His tongue glided softly against hers, his hand cupped her face as he poured his heart in soul into that one kiss. Liz was thanking the heavens that she was sitting down already, because his kiss was lethal. A loud clearing of a throat broke their tender moment. Max and Liz reluctantly pulled apart, but seeing the person standing there, for the second time that evening Max wished that the earth would swallow him whole.

“Mr. Parker” Max croaked out. Liz rubbed his arm, and he bolted as far away from her as possible. “I....we...it isn’t what it looks like...” Max stutter. Jeff glared at Max and took pleasure in watching him squirm before him. Liz giggled from her spot, which grew into a full out laughter when Max gave her an evil eye.

“What’s up daddy” Liz finally got out. She stood next to Max, lacing her hand through his. Max tried to pull away, but Liz held firm. She knew her daddy was messing with Max. She thought it was cute the way he was all nervous and jittery, like some teenage boy. Jeff looked down at his daughter and smiled.

“Nothing sweetie, it’s just the party’s starting to wind down and your guest are starting to leave” he informed her.

“Thanks daddy, we’ll be right in” she smiled. Jeff nodded, sending one more look at Max, he went back inside. Max stood rooted to his spot, his heart slowly returning to its normal rhythm.

“Hey” Liz looked up at him, still seeing the fear on his face. Max looked down at her. “Don’t worry about daddy, he’s just trying to scare you” she smiled.

“Well, he doesn’t have to try hard” Max frowned. Liz giggled at his boyish feature. “It’s not funny” he warned, his lips twitching. She leaned forward to kiss his lips, but he pulled away. “Liz, your father could be watching” his eyes widened.

“So” Liz teased.

“So? Have you forgotten I have Amber to take care of. Who will look after her if your father kills me” he asked seriously. Liz couldn’t stop the laughter that came forward. Seeing that he was truly terrified of her dad, Liz back off.

“Ok, but you owe me” she teased.

~~~~~~~~

“Trash is out” Jeff said, closing the back door.

“Thanks Uncle Jeff” Maria smiled. She hated taking out the trash. The party had ended, and the only people there was the Parkers, both set of Valenti’s and Max, Michael and Amber.

“No problem” Jeff made his way into the living room.

“Lizzy, your mother and I are going to call it a night” Nancy nodded in agreement.

“Okay daddy...I put some towels and things on the bed for you guys” Liz said as she hugged her parents goodnight.

“Max, it was nice meeting you” Nancy smiled. “And Amber, we’ll be seeing you tomorrow” she leaned over and kissed the little girl on the cheek.

“Okay” Amber had invited them to the riding competition. She liked the Parkers, they were very nice. Max stood quickly when he saw Mr. Parker heading his way.

“Max...it was nice meeting you...and I guess we’ll be seeing you tomorrow”

“Yes Sir” Max shook his hand, noticing the slight pressure Mr. Parker added. They all agreed to meet up after the competitions for dinner, and then said their good byes.

“Amber, could you bring me that bowl off the coffee table” Liz called from the kitchen. Everyone was gone except Max, Michael and Amber. Her parents were upstairs asleep, and she and Maria were putting away the last of the food. Max and Michael were downstairs looking at their finished product and Amber was watching a movie, while she waited on her dad and uncle. Amber grabbed the bowl and headed into the kitchen.

“Were do you want this” she asked.

“Here, I’ll take it” Liz dried her hands and reached for the bowel. Before either could react, the bowel slipped from their hands and landed in a crash on the floor.

“Amber!” Liz shouted, pushing the girl out the way. Amber backed away, fear etching her face as Liz came towards her.

“I’m sorry....I’m sorry.....I’m sorry” Amber repeated over and over again as she backed herself up against the wall. Liz saw how terrified she was, and the tears gathering in her eyes. She reached for her, and Amber flinched in fear.

“I’m sorry” she cried, flashes of Becky’s angry face towering over her. She sunk down to the floor, and wrapped her arms under her knees and rocked herself as she cried she was sorry over and over. Liz looked to Maria, who looked on in concern. Bending down in front of Amber, Liz placed a tentative hand on her knee.

“Amber” she whispered gently. “It’s okay, I’m sorry if I scared you....I just didn’t want you to get hurt” Amber looked up, tears falling silently down her face.

“Really” she sniffed.

“Yeah, are you okay” Liz checked her out to make sure she didn’t have any injuries.

“What happened...we heard something break” Max and Michael’s came running in breathlessly. Max took one look at his daughters tear stained face, and rushed to her side. Amber saw her daddy, and immediately jumped in his arms, her body still trembling in fear.

“Shh, it’s ok” he comforter her.

“I want to go home” her scared voice mumbled against his neck.

“What happened” michael asked.

“I dropped the bowel and it broke” liz said. “I think I scared her when I yelled, I’m sorry” liz felt bad. She didn’t mean to scare her.

“It’s okay...I think it’s time we were heading out anyways. We have to get ready for the competition tomorrow” Max said.

“Okay” liz whispered. Michael gather Amber in his arms, and Maria walked them to the car. “Max, I’m really sorry..I didn’t mean to scare her. I just didn’t want her to get hurt” liz tried to make him see that she didn’t yell at her on purpose. Max saw the tears pool in her eyes, and pulled her in his arms.

“Hey, I know. It’s okay, thank you” he rubbed her back gently.

“For what” she mumbled against his chest.

“For caring” he kissed her on the forehead and held her close. They stayed that way until Maria came back telling Max that Michael and Amber were ready.

“You okay hun” Maria asked, wrapping a arm around her friend.

“Yeah. Maria did you see her face...the fear in her eyes” she asked, wondering if she had imagined the scared look on Amber’s face.

“Yeah I saw it, and I know that something terrible had to happen to put such a look on a child’s face” the two friends worked together to pick up the shards of glass, both wondering what could have happened to scare a little girl that bad.

So. what do you think?

LS
Check out my fics:
~~Lady Scorpio's Fics~~
Forever Mine
Love, Life and Danger
Generation Next
Running from the Past
The House
Down Low
God Sent
Returning to Love
Lady Scorpio
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Lady Scorpio »

Chapter 8

“There they are” Maria beamed, spotting Michael and his parents amongst the crowd of people outside the stables. There were hundreds maybe even thousands of people gathering into the stadium. From young to old, they were all there to support the family members. Maria tugged on Liz arm, as she pulled her thru the crowd.

“Hey” she smiled once they reached his side. Michael smiled gratefully for the interruption. His parents were once again grilling him about talking Max into letting Amber come and stay with them next year. They believed that Amber would benefit from having a two parent household. The discussion had been going on since Max came home with Amber from the hospital. Mike and Fran had fought deviously to gain custody of Amber, but Max and his parents fought back, and in the end, they were rewarded full custody. Truthfully, Michael believed Amber was better off with Max, even if he was a single parent. It wasn’t like he was alone in raising her. There was Mr and Mrs. Evans, Isabel and Alex, and of course him.

His parents ruled with an iron fist, and he definitely wouldn’t wish their strict ways on his worst enemy, and he would never subject his niece to that type of environment. Of course all parents want the best for their children, but Michael couldn’t remember once in his entire life had his parents told him that they were proud of him or loved him. Everything he did wasn’t good enough. If he got straight A’s on his report card, there was always something that they found to nitpick about. Like when he was on the basketball team, even though he was the highest scorer on the team, his parents always told him that he could have scored higher. He didn’t want Amber to have to go through the pressured childhood he and Lillian had to endure. So when they brought up the subject he always made a quick get away.

Michael wrapped a arm around Maria’s waist, and placed a kiss on her temple. “Hey......Liz” he nodded in greeting.

“Mr and Mrs. Guerin, it’s so good to see you again” Maria and Liz greeted. Michael sent his mother a warning look when she plastered on a fake smile. He knew she didn’t approve of Maria. Maria was high spirted, outgoing and wasn’t afraid to speak her mind, something his mother looked down on. His mother was very old fashion. She was still in the mind frame that woman should hold their selves with pose and dignity. They should never draw attention to themselves, and most of all hold their tongue unless spoken too. It was something she constantly tried to instill in Lillian. Sure, Lillian played the role in their mother’s presences, but behind closed doors.....well, his mother would probably kill over if she knew some of the things Lillian had done.

“Maria......Liz” his parents answered in disinterest.

“Michael!” they heard someone shout in the crowd. Maria and Liz both turned to see a beautiful blonde, with a body to die for, and a tall, slightly built guy making their way towards them.

“Isabel” Michael hugged his quasi-sister. Liz stared at the woman she now realized as Max’s sister. She was gorgeous, and she wondered what their parents looked like, because Max and Isabel were the empathy of beauty. “Alex..” Michael took his hand in a firm grip. “Isabel...Alex, this is Maria and Liz” he introduced the two girls that he and Max had been raven about for the past two months. Maria, being the people person she was, jumped right in to conversation with Alex. While Liz stood nervously under Isabel’s scrutinizing stare.

“Liz, walk with me” she stated. Without even waiting on her reply, Isabel began walking towards the stadium. Liz looked towards Maria, who gave her a sympathetic shrug. Reluctantly, Liz followed behind her. They walked side by side in silence until they came to the fence of the obstacle course. Isabel stopped and turned towards her, her stare was cold and full of disdain. Liz could definitely see were Amber got her personality from.

“Look, I’m going to make this quick” she started. “I don’t know what your intentions are with my brother, but I swear to God if you hurt him or Amber....lets just say you don’t want to be on my bad side” she warned. Liz stood in shock. She didn’t know what to say. Max had warned her that his sister could sometimes be...well a bitch, but he assured her she was only trying to protect the ones she loved. Sometimes her protectiveness could come off as rude and nasty, but she meant well and he loved her dearly for it. Liz was trying not to let her demeanor intimate her, but the girl did stand at least eight inches taller then her. Regardless, Liz found her voice.

Staring Isabel directly in the eyes. “Isabel I know you love your brother and niece, and I know you’re trying to look out for them. But my intentions with your brother as you put it, is personally none of your business” she smiled inwardly at Isabel’s raised eyebrow. “But I can tell you, I have no intentions of hurting either of them. I care a great deal for the both of them, and I plan on being around for a while” she assured. “And one other thing, don’t ever threaten me again...” the two stood staring at each other. Isabel had to admit, the girl had heart. The corner of her mouth raised in a slight smile, and Liz returned it.

“Ladies, I hope I don’t have to pull out my referee whistle” Alex grinned, throwing his arm over Isabel’s shoulders. He had been watching his fiancé out the corner of his eyes, as he listened to Maria and her mother talk about her novelty shop in Roswell. He knew Isabel could be quite intimating, and he had warned her on the drive over not to cause any trouble with Liz. He knew that it was like talking to a brick wall. Max and Amber were like her baby cubs, and she was the momma bear out to do anything to protect them.

“None sense..” Isabel smiled up at him. “Liz and I were just having a friendly conversation...right?”

“Right..” Liz smiled. “I think Isabel and I are on our way to becoming good friends” Alex looked at his fiancé they back at Liz unsure of what was going on, but they were both smiling...that had to be a good thing....right?

“Come on, it’s time to take our sits” the three of them made their way over to the others.

“You know what, you guys go ahead. I’m going to see if I can find Amber or Max” Isabel and Alex told her they would save them a seat. Liz searched desperately for Max, she had given up her search for Amber. All the riders were in there rider uniform, and after several mix ups, she had decided to look for Max instead, but that too was becoming an impossible task with the large mass of people.

“Looking for someone” a deep, sensual voice said from behind her. Liz turned around to Max’s smiling face.

“Hi” she grinned, standing on her tippy toes to give him a quick peck.

“Hey yourself” Max stroked her cheek, and unable to resist, leaned in for another, thorough kiss.

“Wow” Liz sighed once he finally released her lips.

“Yeah” Max chuckled, resting his forehead against hers. Finally they regained their composure.

“Where’s Amber” she asked, lacing her fingers with his.

“She’s with Rafael. They were giving Charcoal one last coat brush when I left them....come on” he maneuvered them threw the crowd. They spotted Amber around the side of the stables. She was pacing back and forward, and she was talking softly to herself.

“Hey Tickles, you okay” Max asked coming up behind her. Startled to hear him behind her, Amber jumped.

“Daddy, don’t do that” she admonished, running a shaky hand through her hair. Max noticed, and kneeled down in front of her.

“I’m sorry sweetie.....are you okay” Liz stood back as they talked. Amber shifted from foot to foot, biting nervously on her bottom lip. Finally she shook her head.

“I’m scared” she admitted. “What if I mess up....what if everyone else is better then me...my stomach hurts....and I feel like throwing up” she whispered, no sooner had the words came out of her mouth, she turned around and threw up on the side of the stable. Max held her hair back and rubbed her back gently.

“Feeling better” he asked once she was finished. Liz handed her a wet nap.

“Thank you” turning back to her daddy. “My stomach still feels weird”

“That’s just your nerves sweetie” he answered. “You know do one will be upset if you don’t want to compete” he ran his hand down her arm.

“I know...but I want too...I just don’t know if I can” nervous tears gathered in her eyes.

“Amber” Liz kneeled next to Max, placing a gentle hand over hers. “It’s ok to be nervous...heck, it’s okay to be scared. But just remember that your dad, and uncle Michael and aunt Isabel and your grandparents.....and me, are all out there to support you. You’re going to do great, and if you feel yourself getting nervous, just look in the stands....we’re are all there for you” Max felt a lump growing in his throat at the way Liz interacted with his daughter. She was so tender and gentle.....motherly.

“Ok” Amber whispered. Remembering why she was looking for Amber, Liz stood up, pulling a small box out of her pocket.

“This is for you” she smiled, handing the box to her.

“For me?” Amber asked surprised.

“Yeah...open it” Amber took the box hesitantly. Slowly she opened it revealing a gold pen shaped like a horse. Amber looked back up at her, the question of why in her eyes.

“I wanted to get you something special.....it’s sort of like a good luck charm” she smiled hesitantly, unsure of how Amber would receive the gift.

“Thank you” he face showing no emotions. She placed the lid back on the box and slipped in her pocket. Max noticed the slight disappointment on Liz’s face, but she quickly covered it. The announcer came that the show was beginning and that all riders were to report to the stables.

“Well, I guess that’s our cue. Are you sure you want to do this” he asked once again.

“Yes” she smiled, her confidence growing once again.

“Okay then” he kissed her forehead and pulled her into a big hug. “I love you. Now, go show them what you’re made of” he smiled.

“Okay daddy” she hugged him back. Then she gave Liz a soft smile. “Thanks Liz” she ran off to the stables.

“Are you okay” Liz asked watching the way he stared after her. Max sighed heavily, snaking his arm around her waist, he nodded briefly.

“You are amazing, you know that” he smiled, kissing her forehead. “Thank you for saying those things to her....and for the gift. I know she can be hard sometimes, so...thank you” Liz held him tightly as he pulled her into his arms.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Here they come.....here they come” Travis and Kelsey shouted excitedly. They were excited to see Amber again. They had became so attached to her the night before, and she had asked Tess if they could come to her competition.

“Do you see her” Diane asked impatiently, looking intently for her granddaughter amongst the riders.

“There she is” Michael announced, seeing his niece make her way into the ring.

“Oh my god, she looks so small. I do hope she’s careful” Fran fanned herself nervously.

“She’ll do fine mom” Michael rolled his eyes. Maria rubbed his arm gently to calm his tense muscles.

“Must they were such hideous colors, black is so not her color” Isabel frowned.

“Isabel, it’s a riders uniform...jeez” Alex sighed.

“Hurry up Jeff, I want to film her coming in” Nancy buzzed, rushing Jeff as he loaded the tape into the camcorder. The large group were talking at once. Tess and Kyle were trying to calm Travis and Kelsey as they tried to get Amber’s attention. Nancy and Jeff were now arguing over who forgot to recharge the camera battery. Amy and Jim were trying to keep sixteen year old Tad from driving them up the wall with the question ‘When will this be over.’ Throughout everything, Max sat in silence, his hand enclosed in Liz’s. At a glance he seemed relaxed, but from the way he was squeezing her hand and the way his knee was bouncing frantically, Liz knew he was a nervous wreck.

“She’s going to do fine” she stroked her thumb across the back of his hand, and felt him relax to her touch. Max gave her a shaky smile.

“Ladies and gentlemen, Redwood Ranch, would like to welcome you to the 20TH Annual Riders Competition” He went on to announce the days events. “Please give a round of applause to our riders” one by one, the riders rode around the ring. Flashes were going off continuously as parents and grandparents took pictures of their child and grandchild. Amber made her way around the ring, smiling brightly as she trotted around the ring.

“There she is....Amber!” Travis and Kelsey shouted. Amber smiled and waved to her family. They watched the riders to a little show, before each rider was to ride towards their family. Amber trotted Charcoal over to were her family were all waving and taking pictures of her.

“Liz the pen is beautiful” Nancy smiled, not taking her eyes off of Amber who was making Charcoal bow before them. Confused, Liz looked at Amber, and there on her right lapel was the pen she had given her. Max had noticed it the moment Amber had came in, he knew Amber was starting to open up to Liz, and he knew it said a lot that she was wearing it. Feeling her emotions trying to overcome her, Liz quickly blinked back the tears and her eyes, and she felt Max squeeze her hand. Looking up at him, she saw the tender smile on his face. She turned back to Amber and their eyes locked. Amber smiled brightly at her. The announcer announced it was time for the competition to began, and Amber made her way out of the ring.
~~~~~~~~~

“Our next rider is new to the competitions, so please give her a warm welcome...riding the lovely Charcoal...Ms. Amber Louise Evans” Amber made her entrance, and the family went wild with applause and shouts. Amber sat up on Charcoal, trying to calm her nervous. She remembered what Liz said, and she glanced once again at her family. They waved. Her daddy, blew her a kiss, and Liz gave her the thumbs up sign.

“Ok boy..this is it” she patted Charcoal’s side. Lifting up, she sighed heavily, before giving Charcoal a slight nudge, and he was off. Max held his breath as she took to the course. The vertical was first, and they cleared it with ease as well as the Triple Bar. Max’s hand tightened around Liz’s as she came upon the Combination and Water jump. She cleared the gate and the wall. The Oxer was last, and she had been having difficulty with it during practice. Amber handled Charcoal with grace and they cleared the Oxer with elegance.

“Yes!” Max jumped to his feet, the audience clapping wildly as she finished her ride. Amber did her lap around the ride, waving to everyone, before making her way out the ring.

“An excellent ride Amber” the announcer boomed over the speaker. “Our next rider.....”

~~~~~~~~~~~

Everyone held their heads in silent prayer waiting for the announcement of the winners.

“Okay, and finally the winner of the junior competition....” he opened the envelope the judges handed him. Taking a look at the slip of paper. “..well, this isn’t a surprise.....ladies and gentlemen......Amber Evans” they all jumped to their feet screaming and shouting.

“She did it.....she won....” Max picked Liz up and turned her around, landing a steaming kiss on her. Max grinned like a fool as everyone congratulated him on his daughters win. Some of the other parents who’s child didn’t win looked on with a scold at the celebrating family.

“Daddy!” Amber shouted, as she dismounted Charcoal. Max caught her as she slammed into him.

“There’s my girl...congratulations” he beamed, twirling her around. Congratulations and ‘we’re proud of you’s’ went around from the family. They all took group pictures with Amber and Charcoal as she proudly showed off her trophy.

“Amber..” Rafael and Rachael hugged her as they came over. “There’s a photographer that wants to get a picture of all the riders for next years brochure” Rachael told her.

“Okay” Amber kissed her daddy, and made her way to the center of the ring. They all looked on as they took pictures of the riders. Somewhere in the parking lot, a care backfired startling Charcoal. He began to buck out of control. Amber tried to get a hold of him, but he was top frightened. He bucked, sending Amber tumbling to the ground.

“Amber!” they all screamed in fear as the watched Charcoal toss her small body to the ground. They all took off towards her, but it was Liz that outran them all.

“Amber...sweetie, look at me” Liz cradled her head in her lap, stroking her face gently. Max tried to take his daughter, but Liz held on tight as she rocked her gently. Amber was sleepy. She couldn’t keep her eyes open no matter how hard she tried. The last thing she saw was Liz’s face as she drifted into blackness.
Check out my fics:
~~Lady Scorpio's Fics~~
Forever Mine
Love, Life and Danger
Generation Next
Running from the Past
The House
Down Low
God Sent
Returning to Love
Lady Scorpio
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Lady Scorpio »

Chapter 9

“Max” Isabel whispered softly, shaking him out of his sleep. Max slowly began to wake from his slumber. Max looked around the room a little disoriented, before settling on his sisters concerned face. Instantly his eyes moved to the small bed in the center of the room, his fear growing.

“She’s okay” Isabel assured upon seeing the panic in his eyes. Max immediately felt himself calm at her words.

“What’s wrong” he whispered, careful not to wake Liz who’s head was resting against his chest.

“Nothing..” she sat down on the arm of the chair, and brushed the straggled hair on his forehead. She took in his haggard appearance. He was still wearing the clothes from the day before, he was in desperate need of a shave, and she knew he was only running on two-three hours of sleep. After Amber’s fall, they had rushed her to the hospital. The doctor had came out an hour later with the news. Apparently Amber had a broken arm, but the thing that was causing them all to worry was that Charcoal had also kicked her in the head causing pressure on her brain, she was now in a coma. The doctors were watching her carefully. She was scheduled for a CAT scan later that morning, and hopefully it would return good news. Isabel looked down at the small woman cradled protectively in her brothers arms. From the moment the ambulance had arrived to take Amber to the hospital, Liz had been plastered to her side. She wouldn’t let anyone near her at first until Max had to make her see that the paramedics had to do their job. Then she caused all kinds of hell when the nurses wouldn’t let her into the emergency room with her. And for the last three days, both Max and Liz were taking residence at Amber’s bedside, both refusing to go home and rest while the others looked after Amber. The nurses had both in a couch from the waiting room so that the two of them could at least have something to rest on.

“Max, why don’t you and Liz go home for a little while.....you know, take a shower..have a decent meal...mom and I will stay with her” she tried to coax him, sighing heavily when he shook his head no.

“Isabel, you know I can’t leave. What if she woke up and I’m not here” he whispered.

“Would you rather her wake up to find you lying in a bed next to her. You can’t go on like this, neither of you can” she looked down at Liz, who was shifting slightly in her sleep. “If you don’t take care of yourself, your going to end up making yourself sick, and then what good would you be for Amber” she scolded. Max knew that she was right, but he just couldn’t see himself leaving while his baby was lying in the hospital. When he saw her fall, and the way her little body laid unmoved in Liz’s arms, he thought his whole world was caving in.

“I know, but...”

“No buts. You will go home, take a shower, eat a real meal..not something completely covered in grease, and you will get some sleep” she told him sternly. Max looked up at his sister. He knew from her firm look, he wasn’t getting out of this.

“Fine...but I’m just going home to take a shower and I’m coming right back....Isabel don’t” he warned seeing she was about to protest.

“What’s wrong” Liz asked sleepily, sitting up staring at the two of them.

“Nothing. You and Max need a break, and I’m here to relieve you” Liz stretched lazily, her eyes glancing over at Amber.

“Knock..knock” they all looked up to see Alex as he came in carrying a tray of coffee. Handing them each one, he walked over and kiss Amber’s forehead.

“What’s up” he asked.

“Max and Liz are on their way home to get some sleep” Isabel chimed, pecking him on the cheek.

“Really” he asked in surprise. He knew that everyone had been trying to get the two of them to go home for the last three days, and he was surprised that they were leaving.

“I said I was going home to take a shower, get a fresh set of clothes. That’s it.” he said, sending his sister a pointed look.

“Whatever” she waved her hands in the air, knowing that there was no point arguing with him.

“Hey” Diane smiled, as she breezed thru the door, Michael and Maria behind her.

“Hi mom”

“Hi Mrs. Evans” Soon the room was overflowing with family and friends. Tess and Kyle had brought the twins to see Amber. They had been making their selves sick with worry.

“We brought you a teddy” Travis whispered softly. He moved carefully beside her on the bed, resting his head on her shoulder. Kelsey followed her brothers lead, and being careful of Amber’s arm that was now engulf in a heavy cast, she kissed her bandaged forehead and laid down. Their mommy had told them that even though Amber was sleep she could still hear them, so they started telling them about what had been going on for the last three days. Diane and Nancy had shooed Max and Liz out of the room, demanding that they went home and took care of themselves.

Max dropped Liz off at her house with the promise of returning shortly. Liz sunk low into the tub, welcoming the warmth of the water as it surrounded her tired body. She didn’t realized how much she’d missed the comforts of her own home. She took her time running the sudsy loofah over her skin. Then she ducked under water, saturating her long tress. Emerging from the water, she proceeded to shampoo and condition her hair. After she was finished with her bath, she wrapped the long terry clothe robe around her naked form and patted into her room. She let her wet hair fall over her shoulders as she looked for something to wear. Finally, feeling refreshed, Liz made her way to the kitchen for a quick bite to eat.

She found the casserole her mother had made the previous night, and heated it in the microwave. Once it was done, she curled up in her favorite armchair. She flipped boringly through the tv channels, the tv watching her more then she was watching it. Without realizing it, she slowly drifted into a sound sleep.

~~~~~~~

Max knocked again for like the twentieth time. He had been standing there for the last ten minutes. Once he had dropped Liz off, he had headed home, were he took a quick shower and shaved. Standing in clean clothes, he had took a minute to return some of the many messages from some of his clients. He had informed them that he wouldn’t be available for the next couple of weeks. He had made himself a sandwich, which he finished in three bites, realizing he was more hungry then he thought. Giving the house one last look over, and grabbing Amber’s Strawberry Shortcake doll and her guitar, he headed out the door to pick up Liz.

He had called her several times on his way over, but got no answer. Now he was standing at her door, and was starting to get worried. Knocking once again and receiving no answer, Max fished out his keys. Finding the one with the little heart shape painted on with nail polish, Max inserted into the lock and unlocked the door. Walking inside, he could hear the sound of the tv in the living room, and he followed it.

Max couldn’t help the small smile that past his lips upon walking into the room. There, curled up, fast asleep, was Liz. Max silently kicked himself for not realizing how exhausted she was. Like him, she had been at the hospital 24/7, and never once did she complain. She was the one making sure everyone was okay, keeping their spirits up when all they wanted to do was cry. She had held his hand throughout it all being his strength when he couldn’t conjure up any. Max walked over and kneeled down beside the chair. He sat there, just staring at her. From the first time he had seen her, he knew there was a strong connection between them. In for the first time in years, she had made him feel alive. Made him feel like taking a risk at love again. Sure he had dated off and on since Amber was born, but none of them had came close to making him feel the way Liz did. That day she had asked him out in her backyard, had been one of the happiest days of his life. He had wanted so much to ask her out since the moment they had met, but he wasn’t sure how she felt about him. And then there was Amber to consider, since Becky, he had swore off women.

With each day that past, Max could feel himself falling deeper and deeper in love with her and frankly, that scared him. Max ran a gently finger over her soft cheek. She smiled, and he wasn’t sure if it was from his touch or her dream. Either way, it brought a smile to his own lips at seeing her beautiful smile.

“Hey” he whispered when her eyes fluttered open. Liz should have been startled, having waken up finding him before her. But the truth was, she had been having a wonderful dream about him, and she assumed she was still dreaming.

“Hi” she smiled, enjoying the smooth touch of his hand as it glided over her exposed arm. Liz brought her hand up and caressed his cheek.

“Tired” he smiled.

“A little” she sat up. “I’ll just get my bag, and we can go” she made to get up, but Max’s hand on her knee halted her movement.

“Can we talk” Max sat down on the coffee table in front of her. Liz nodded mutely, her heart suddenly beating erratically at those three little words. Nothing good ever followed them. Max fidgeted slightly, not sure were to began.

“Max...just say it” she whispered, not enthused by the sudden tension in the air. Max nodded, running a shaky hand through his hair.

“I...” before he could start, his cell rung. He apologized with his eyes, before answering. “Hello....hey dad.....what!? No, tell them I’ll be there shortly, and to wait until I get there.....okay...I will” Max hung up the phone with a heavy sigh. Liz shifted to his side.

“Is everything okay” she asked, wanting to touch him but unsure of if he would accept it or not. Max looked down at her, concern etched over his face.

“Yeah...yeah. That was my dad, he said that the doctors are trying to take Amber to have her CAT scan. Isabel and the nurse were having it out, because she told her to wait for me. Apparently security was called, and it’s just one big mess” he frowned. “I really don’t need this” he mumbled.

“Come on” Liz grabbed his hand, and lead him out the door.

~~~~~~~~~

“..and I said that you can wait twenty minutes, he will be....” Isabel spied her brother coming through the door. Isabel, Phillip and Alex were all talking to a nurse and two security guards.

“Dad” Max said, coming up beside them. He gave Isabel a disapproving look before he and his father managed to keep security from tossing her out on her butt.

“Thanks a lot Isabel” he scolded.

“What? I was just trying to help. I knew you wanted to be here with her when they took her in” she tried to explain.

“Did you have to threaten her....geez do you even think before you open your mouth” his voice risen with each word.

“Max I..” she tried to talk to him, but he cut her off.

“Don’t say you’re sorry because you’re always saying and doing what you want. I have enough to deal with. My daughter’s lying in a coma, and I don’t know rather or not she will wake up....I can’t deal with you right now”

“Max” Phillip grabbed him, seeing the tears in Isabel’s eyes. Isabel stared at her brother, fighting hard against the tears in her eyes. Without a word, she picked her purse up from the chairs behind her, and left.

“That was so uncool” Alex said, shaking his head at him. He turned and went after Isabel. Max stared after them momentarily, before disappearing into Ambers room, leaving the others to stare after him.
~~~~~~~~

“Hey, you okay” Maria said, sitting down beside Liz. After Max had disappeared, everyone had left him alone to cool off. Maria had noticed how quite Liz had been. She had isolated herself from the others, soon she had disappeared altogether. Maria had searched the entire hospital before finally finding her in the garden. Liz nodded, keeping her head low. She didn’t want Maria to know she had been crying. Of course, being her best friend, Maria already knew.

“What happened” she asked, patting her thigh. Liz laid her head in her lap, and curled up into herself. Maria ran her hand through her hair, waiting on her to tell her what was wrong. Liz stuck her thumb in her mouth an old habit she hadn’t done since she was in college. Seeing her stick her thumb in her mouth, Maria knew that whatever it was, had to be bad because Liz only sucked her thumb when she was extremely upset or nervous.

“Liz, sweetie, talk to me” she soothed, pulling her thumb out of her mouth. Liz brushed at her damp cheek.

“I think Max’s going to break up with me” she whispered, before another stream of tears trekked down her face, collecting in a puddle on Maria’s jeans.

“What!?” she shrieked, lifting her so that she could see her face. “Did he say that...what happened...that jerk, I’m going to kick his ass...” she rambled on in total Maria fashion. Liz ignored all the stares they were receiving from other people around them.

“Maria” Liz said, jumping in when Maria paused to take a breath. Maria snapped her mouth shut at hearing her friends shaky voice.

“I’m sorry chica...come here” she pulled her head against her shoulder and patted her head gently. “Tell mama what happened.” Liz smiled despite her mood at her friend. She played with the tassels on Maria’s shirt.

“I don’t know, but right before we came here, he had ask me if we could talk. He was all nervous and wouldn’t look me in the eyes and I was getting these bad vibes from him..you know. He didn’t say one word to me in the car, and then that whole thing with Isabel....I just hate not knowing what he was going to say” she frowned.

“Like you sat, you don’t know what he was going to say. How do you know he’s going to break up with you” Maria tried to reason with her.

“Because, you know as well as I do that ‘can we talk’ translate to ‘I think we should call it quits’ in a relationship” Maria couldn’t argue with her on that one. She personally had heard that line from several guys before, which was followed by their breakup. Heck, she had even delivered the line herself to several guys.

“But why now” she inquired. “Why would he break up with you now. I mean what happened between you guys leaving the hospital and now.” Liz sat up.

“I don’t know Maria....I just know that I don’t know how I’d be able to survive if he does....I know we haven’t known each other long, but I love him” fresh tears gathered in her eyes, and Maria pulled her into her arms.

“I know you do sweetie...but please don’t work yourself up over this until you talk to Max” she rubbed her back tenderly, knowing no matter what she said, Liz was going to worry herself anyways.

~~~~~~~~~~

Max stared after the doctor as he exited the room. He had just informed him that the CAT scan showed no sign of improvement. They were still keeping her under close surveillance. He could hear his moms sob as he assumed the doctor told them the news. Isabel and Alex had returned some while ago. He could see that she had been crying, making him hang his head shamefully. He didn’t mean to shout at her, but he was already wound up with worry over Amber, he couldn’t take any unnecessary stress. He had wanted to apologize to her, but one look from Alex, had made him stop in his tracks. He knew Alex was very protective of Isabel, and didn’t take to kindly to anyone hurting her, not even him. He decided he would approach her later so they could talk.

Pulling up the chair next to Amber’s bed, Max sat down, placing his large hand over her smaller one. He took a moment to just look at her. His mind began to play over all the times he had watched her sleep when she was a baby. Sometimes he would just creep into her room late at night so that he could just listen to the gentle sound of her breathing. Her smiling face flashed across his mind, and tears formed in his throat at the thought of never seeing that smile again. Wiping the few tears that had managed to escape with the back of his hand, he picked up her hand.

“Hey Tickles....it’s daddy. I-I” he swallowed hard, trying to reign in his emotions. “I don’t know if you can hear me, but the doctors...they say that it helps if we talked to you, that you will be able to hear us....don’t ask me how...you know once they got to talking about brain waves and stuff like that I completely zoned out....” he chuckled. He cleared his throat. “Anyways, everyone wants you to wake up. You know we still have to celebrate your winning the riding competition....and your birthday is only two days away....what I’m I going to do with four hundred water balloons...” he laughed/cried. Amber had wanted a swimming party. It was going to be held at Michael’s, since he was the only one of them with a pool. They had brought water guns, and water balloons, all sorts of things for the kids to get completely soaked with. “Who-who’s going to help me squirt uncle Michael or toss aunt Isabel in the water...” he kissed the back of her hand. “You have to wake up Tickles...please wake up” Max picked up her guitar, he placed the strap on. Looking at her, he smiled shakily. “Let’s see if your old man can still carry a tune” strumming out a few cords, Max cleared his throat.

You’re the end of my rainbow
My pot of gold
your daddy’s little girl
to have and to hold
Your sugar and spice
and everything nice,
and your daddy’s little girl
your daddy’s little
yes you’re daddy’s little girl

Max played the last string, his tears falling soundlessly over his shaking hands. “I love you...please wake up” he kissed her forehead, praying silently for someone to hear his plea.
Check out my fics:
~~Lady Scorpio's Fics~~
Forever Mine
Love, Life and Danger
Generation Next
Running from the Past
The House
Down Low
God Sent
Returning to Love