Where We Were Before (CC,M/L,TEEN) Ch 23 - AN 03/10/04 [WIP]

This is the place where fics that have not been updated in the past three months will be moved until the author asks a mod to move them back to an active board.

Moderators: Anniepoo98, ISLANDGIRL5, truelovepooh, Forum Moderators

Ashton
Enthusiastic Roswellian

chpt 19

Post by Ashton »

~ chapter 19 ~

Ben couldn’t tear his gaze away.

From their hands...

The way they clung together. Fingers entwined. So natural. So effortless. So…right.

From Liz…

Nearly blinded by her smile, the happiness dancing in her eyes left him breathlessly stunned. His heart literally did a somersault when her beaming gaze met his, including him in her joy, yet unintentionally excluding him by the very fact she had to make an effort.

Her enthusiasm was…unmatched. Her delight…fathomless. The years of pain that usually edged her eyes and put lines around her mouth, fell away like a heavy burden as youth became her best friend once again. It was in that moment, Ben felt he was really seeing Liz Parker for the very first time.

It had been a half an hour since Michael and Maria had rejoined Tess and Ben at Liz’s apartment. Hasty explanations had been made and wide-eyed questions had been asked in hushed whispers. All details were out on the table. Max and Liz had only just emerged from her room moments before to hear Tess’ tale of Nasedo’s demands and update the group on their most recent unified experience.

They were…elated. To say the very least.

And Ben was…overwhelmed.

With emptiness. Jealousy. Concern…

Liz’s sweet voice chattered away excitedly as she attempted to explain to her friends the connection she and Max had shared with their son. “We saw him. We…we actually saw…” She let out a sigh. “And…and we felt him. And he was…he was so…” Glancing at Max she bit down on her lip to keep from bursting into joyous laughter.

Max’s quick, responding smile lit his eyes as he nodded, his normally cool reserve melting with the warm pride of a father as he finished Liz’s description of their son. “…perfect. Beautiful. And alive.” Max’s hand absently covered the hand he was holding and rubbed it with warm reassurance. “And so very much ours.”

Nodding emphatically, Liz’s animated ramble picked up where Max’s left off. “He has Max’s eyes.”

Eyes crinkling with happiness, Max’s response was quick. “But he has Liz’s smile.”

“Max’s ears…” Liz nudged Max playfully as she reached up and tugged on Max's earlobe, a giggle escaped her. “Those adorable little ears…”

Wrapping his arm around Liz’s shoulder, Max began to chuckle as he pulled her into him for a hug and brushed his lips against her temple. For a man who had been terrified to touch her only an hour before, Max Evans was certainly making up for lost time. And he was doing it…effortlessly. Unrestrained. Instinctively.

“He’s amazing." Forgetting they had an audience, Max's focus was entirely on the mother of his child as he tilted her face upward to look in his eyes. "Did you…did you feel his excitement?”

Liz nodded with a bright smile. "At first I wasn’t sure if that was him or us…"

"Oh, it was him." Max quirked a smile and winked. "And a little bit of us."

Taking Max' face in her hands, Liz's whisper electrified the room. "Max…he recognized us. He…knew. He knew we were his mommy and daddy."

Swallowing hard, Max nodded as his eyes began to shine. "I know. Because of him…” Fingers gently caressing Liz’s face, Max’s voice was thick with emotion. “…because of you…I now have a fourth most amazing feeling in the world.”

With a nudge from Michael, it was Maria, once again, who broke into Max and Liz's own private world. "So, it looks like you were right, Liz. You did see him in a vision way back then."

Liz nodded as she once more took Max's hands in hers and turned back to their friends. "Yeah, we both did."

"You…never said anything." Michael ventured with a hint of hurt in his voice as his eyes met Max's. "About the vision. Your vows. Nothing."

Gaze faltering, Max's eyes clouded with pain. "It was…too…difficult. There was so much fear. Regret. So much…"

"Pain." Liz finished for Max when his sentence faltered. "But it's over now." Leaning into him, she rubbed his arm reassuringly and sent him a lovingly, understanding smile. He responded with gratitude dancing in his eyes and a gentle kiss against her lips.

Their joy was so complete. Their interaction so refreshing. The awe of their glances so full of intimacy.

After such a long period of silence, the sound of Tess' voice was almost startling. No more so than her guilt-ridden statement. "I should have told you. I should have said something the moment he came to me. You would have…have been together so much sooner." Tears began gathering in her blue eyes as she watched the love flowing so easily between Max and Liz. "I'm…I’m so very sorry…"

"Tess, we can deal with that later…" Still captivated by the awe of the moment, Max's distracted response was interrupted by Liz's hard voice.

"You should be."

The shift in the atmosphere was abrupt. Hostile. Accusatory.

Max's gaze snapped to Liz's face with alarm. Another storm was brewing. He could see it in her eyes. Hear it in her voice. Feel it in the way she stiffened next to him, her fingers instantly going cold. "Liz. Liz, let's not get into this. Please…not now…"

Liz ignored him. Her eyes blazing with fury, her glare was hard and unbending. "So why did you wait so long, huh? I mean…what exactly was the plan here, Tess? Have Max's son…**my** son…and pass him off as your own? Get Max to be with you out of sympathy? Out of a sense of duty?"

Tess' head began to shake. "No, no, Liz…I swear. I only wanted to find out the truth. You've both already been hurt so much…"

"Because of you."

"Because of Nasedo." Max corrected as he turned to Liz. Her focused fury still on Tess, Max took her face in his hands forcing her to look at him. Pleading to get through. "Liz, Tess did not cause this situation. She's not the one who separated us from our son. Nasedo did. Nasedo's the one we should blame. He's the one we need to destroy."

"And we will." Liz agreed with determination rippling through her voice. "But not with her help."

Max blinked in uncomprehending confusion. "What?"

"I mean it." Pulling away from Max, Liz stood and took a step toward Tess. The struggle to remain civil was etched in her expression. Her hands fisted at her side. "I…appreciate you telling us about our son.” There was a slight pause that rippled with meaning. “Finally.” Her eyes flickered with determination. “But now that you have, I want you to leave my home. We'll handle it from here on out."

"Liz, you can't be serious."

Liz spun around when Max's protest sounded behind her. "I've never been more serious."

"But…" Max's frantic gaze shifted from Liz to Michael and Maria, a plea for assistance clearly in his chocolate brown eyes. His eyes snapped back to Liz, wide with concern. "…we need her. We need her to get our baby back. Nasedo contacted Tess. Not you. Not me. Tess."

"And why is that, do you think?" Liz asked with a sneer on her lips. "Because she's just like him. A manipulator. A schemer. Someone we cannot trust!"

Seeing Max struggling to reign in not only his emotions but the bitter and still aching part of Liz's heart, Ben spoke up and tried to reason with her. "Lizzie…Max has a point about Tess. She's the one Nasedo's reaching out to right now." He stepped forward and gathered her hands in his to gain her full attention. "Look, you and Max aren't the only ones with something on the line here. Nasedo needs your son to rule. He's tried several times to bring that little boy into being. He's failed. From what I gather, he's on a time clock and right now that clock is ticking out his final seconds. Now, if he's desperate enough to finally contact Tess for her assistance…then he's desperate enough to believe whatever we tell him."

Liz pulled her hands from Ben's gentle grip. "And what exactly would that be? That Tess is willing, able and ready to bear Max's child?" Shaking her head emphatically, Liz's eyes darkened with protective fire as her voice lowered with deadly seriousness. "That woman will go near my son over my dead body. I'll face Nasedo myself if I have to."

"God, Liz…" Max's panic stricken voice echoed in the room. "…that's what we've been trying to avoid. That's what all of these years of separation have been about. Keeping you from Nasedo. Saving your life."

"I'll give it up in a heartbeat for my baby." Liz's retorted quickly. Sincerely. Unbendingly. "For you."

Max's face instantly paled. His horrified whisper sent a shiver through the room. "You can't possibly mean that."

"How could you think I'd not mean it?" Liz's incredulity raced through her eyes as she turned to Max. "I thought you of all people would understand, Max. I thought you'd know about sacrificing for the people you love. Especially after what we've just seen together…"

"I do." Taking a step forward, Max cradled her face in his hands. His earnest gaze met hers willing her to believe him. Begging her to listen to his heart. To trust him. Beyond the anger, the bitterness and the fear racing through her. "But you don't have to sacrifice yourself to keep our son from Tess. She's not our enemy. Nasedo is. And there's no way in hell I'm letting you sacrifice anything or…or rush into the center of danger if I can help it. Especially not when we are not alone in this."

"Max is right Liz." Maria's gentle intrusion brought tears to Liz's eyes. "Tess has powers we need and even more than that, she has Nasado's cooperation, if not his trust."

Pain of betrayal began to flare in Liz's eyes. Her voice was shaky with emotion. "I see. You're all on Tess' side. That's just...wonderful."

"Liz…"

Pushing Max's arms away from her, Liz's shook her head as her lips tightened in hurt and anger. "You know what…just…just don't mind me. I didn't have a say in the past…why should the fact I'm his mother change anything now?" Storming past Max, Liz's quiet sob echoed in the room only moments before she slammed and locked the door to her room.

Instinctively, Max and Ben both took a step forward.

Whirling on Ben, Max put his hand on Ben's chest and pushed him back a step. His glaring eyes met Ben's. "Back off."

"You'd better know what you're doing when you go in there, Max." Hands on hips, Ben’s warning blue-green eyes flashed with protective fire. “She is no longer a delicate sixteen year old you have to protect with lies and sacrifices. What she wants right now is to know you trust her the way she thinks you trust Tess. She needs to feel in control of something and if you take that away from her right now…”

Max’s tone was cold and defensive. "Do **not* lecture me about Liz.”

“Someone has to.” Ben retorted. “For a guy that has purportedly seen into her soul, you sure are missing a few pieces of the puzzle when it comes to Liz Parker.”

Max took a step forward, his eyes blazing into Ben’s. “Look. I am completely aware that you have been involved with Liz for the past year or so, but that changed tonight. By her choice. So, the way I see it, this is none of your concern anymore." Max snapped back, his eyes darkening defensively. “That is the woman I love. The mother of my child. I will take care of her.”

"It'll be my concern as long as I love her." Ben retorted, his voice low with determination. "So, if I were you, I'd get used to seeing my face, pal. I’m not leaving till I’m sure Liz is safe. And I mean more than just physically safe.” He cocked a knowing eyebrow at Max and crossed his arms in front of him. “In other words…you’d better not break her heart again."

“I’d rather die first.” Shooting Ben a hard glare, Max backed away before turning to head toward Liz’s room. Running his hand over the door knob, a glowing flash released the lock and Max slipped through the door, closing it behind him and shutting two aching hearts away from the prying eyes of anxious and concerned friends.

Tess was the first to speak. “It…would be best if I go.”

“No, it wouldn’t.” Michael answered, his voice hard as steel. “Max and Liz will have to work through all their issues on their own. And they will...eventually. Right now they've got a million things going on inside of them. But Liz will put her son first no matter what she's feeling right now. They'll be back out the second they both realize that. And when they do, it’ll be time for us to go into action against Nasedo. For that, we need you, Tess. We need to make plans and get set to move as soon as they’re ready.”

“Let’s just hope they get ready fast.” Tess whispered.

“What exactly is our time frame here, Tess?” Maria asked after having exchanged worried glances with Michael.

Tess glanced at Ben. "I…don't know exactly. Nasedo just seemed so…"

"Desperate." Ben filled in as he came and sat next to Tess. His eyes met Michael and Maria's. "When he was threatening Tess, he tried to act like he was in control, but…" Ben shook his head. "…that control is quickly slipping away from him. We can use that."

Concern for her friend's former fiance' edged Maria's voice. "You know, Ben, this really isn't your fight. All of us, well…we've all been dealing with this alien mumbo jumbo for a lot longer…"

Gaze hardening, Ben shook his head knowing exactly where Maria was heading. "I'm not walking away."

"Maybe you should." Michael interjected. "Seriously, man. This is a danger you don't willingly take on. Max, Tess and I…this is part of who we are. Part of why it's so hard for us to form anything…normal. We have no choice. Liz and Maria have lived with the risks almost as long as we have. They know the score. But you…"

"Have no choice either." Ben stated unequivocally. "Look. I meant what I said to Max. I'm not leaving till I know Liz is in a good place. She's not right now. So I'm staying." He paused, his gaze shifting to Tess. "Besides, I made a promise to someone that they didn't have to do this alone." Tess offered Ben a grateful smile before he turned his attention back to Michael and Maria, his expression unmovable. "So, I suggest you stop trying to convince me not to be here and start thinking of ways we can use my resources."

Michael's eyes narrowed. "What do you have in mind?"

"Well…" Glancing once at Tess, Ben leaned forward. "…here's what I'm thinking…"
~~~~~~~~~~~
Liz heard the click of the door closing behind her. "I had the door locked for a good reason."

"Yeah?" Max's soft voice echoed in the room as he approached her. "Well, I had a better reason for unlocking it." Stepping behind Liz, Max attempted to put his hands gently on her shoulders.

She shrugged off his attempted and stepped away.

Hands dropping heavily to his side, Max hung his head a moment in thought. When he finally spoke, it was with a gentle deliberation. "I just have one question for you, Liz. Do you want to save our son?"

Liz whirled on Max, her eyes bright with tears. "God, yes, Max. You know I do."

"Alright." Max took a hesitant step forward, his pleading eyes locked on hers. "Then let's save him." He reached out to take her face in his hands. "Together."

A tear trickled down Liz's cheek as her lips began to tremble with uncertainty. "Is that you and me together? Or you and Tess and everyone else together while I get pushed to the side where it's going to be what you'd consider 'safe'."

Brushing Liz's tears away with his thumbs, Max shook his head with a regretful sigh. "I've given you so much reason to doubt me. To not trust." His own eyes began to film with tears. "I'm so sorry. I should have never shut you out before. I shouldn't have made decisions for you. I wish…I wish I had all the time in the world to prove to you just how wrong I was, Liz." His eyes darkened with sorrow. "But, honey, we just don't have the luxury of time right now."

Swallowing hard, Max continued, his voice softening. "I know that you hate her. For what she did back in high school. For being with me all these years. And I don't blame you one bit, ok? God knows I can't stand Ben and I've only known him for one day. But you have to understand something, Liz. In all of these years, Tess has known about and respected my love for you. Never once has she tried to take advantage of the situation or pressure me into feeling things she knew I'd never feel."

"Now, she is my friend and I do trust her. But she is not you. She will never be you. She'll never, ever own my heart. I’ve never trusted her that much." Max shrugged slightly. "Hate her all you want. Don't believe her intentions for all I care, but you have to respect the place she's had in my life the way she respects yours. If you can't do that, there's a very real possibility we will lose our son."

After a moment's hesitation, Liz spoke. "Do you want…" Liz bit on her lip to stop her voice from wavering. Blinking back fresh tears, she continued. "…do you want her to have him? Will you let her have our baby, Max?"

"Oh, Liz…if I'd wanted Tess to have my baby, I've had ample opportunity." Leaning his forehead against hers, Max took a deep breath, his eyes drifting closed as his entire heart poured out through his words. "You're the only one I've ever wanted. Ever. To be my best friend, my wife, my lover…" His eyes opened to meet hers. "…and the mother of my children."

Caressing Max’s face gently, Liz blinked back a fresh well of tears. "I love you so much, Max. And I believe you. I do.” She shook her head slightly. “But that's not what I asked." Liz responded softly, her bright eyes meeting his as she repeated the question causing her heart to break. More…candidly. "If it comes down to her or me…who will you choose to…"

"I don't want to lose you." Max interrupted, his voice thick with emotion. "I will do anything necessary to keep you safe."

"So then you will let her." Her voice sounded defeated as he gaze shifted from Max. She slowly pulled out of his arms and turned her back to him as she walked toward her bed. Sitting down on it with a weary sigh, Liz bent her head as tears began to fall.

"Liz, please…" Max hesitantly approached the bed and sat down next to her. “…we need to focus on getting him back first.” Max stated with unequivocal firmness. “To me, right now, that is more important than anything else. More important than how much you hate Tess. Even more important than the way my stomach twists into knots every time Ben opens his mouth or the way I have this overwhelming desire to just slam my fist into his face every time he touches you..."

Liz’s head snapped up. “Max…”

"Liz." Max stilled her protest with a finger against her lips. "We’re going to be parents. Our son has to come first now. He has to. Now, we need to get him back…and for that, we need Tess."

“But…” Liz eyes filled with sorrow. “…I’m his mother. I…I should be the one.”

“And you will be.” Max stated softly as determination set in his jaw. He cupped her face with his hand, a solemn promise etched in his darkening eyes. “If there is any way under the sun for you to have our baby, it will be you. I promise.” He paused as he pleading eyes met hers. "Please…please…I'm begging you to let this go for now."

Struggling to keep tears from spilling over, Liz down on her lip and nodded her head in agreement.

Slipping his arm behind her, Max pulled Liz into his embrace when she instinctively leaned into him and wrapped her arms around his neck to hug him tightly to her. Running his fingers through her hair in a smoothing motion, Max began to whisper. "I love you so much, Liz. I…I can't imagine a world where you don't exist. I simply don't know what's in store for us. I don't know what will be required of us to get our son back. I don't know what we'll have to sacrifice. But I do know one thing. If it comes down to losing you or losing Tess…" His arms tightened around her unconsciously. "…I will hold onto you with everything I have."

Sniffing back a sob, Liz nodded, complete trust shining out of her eyes as she pulled back to look at Max. “Then…what do we do now?”

“We go back out there and we prove to our friends that we are ready to be parents by putting our son above everything else." Wiping away her tears, Max's eyes darkened dangerously. "Then…we find the bastard that stole our baby for his own twisted reasons and prove to him there is nothing that can break the strength of our love.” Tender, featherlight caresses against her skin. A pause where a solemn promise was made between two hearts. Max’s whisper electrified the air in the room. “Nothing."

"Nothing." Liz repeated in a breathless echo as she leaned her forehead against Max's for the strength she desperately needed to feel.
~~~~~~~~~~
Standing, Tess was the first to speak when Max and Liz emerged from her room, hand in hand. "Max…Liz. I…I can't tell you how sorry I am. I just…I want so much to help. To make up for what I've done to you." Her blue eyes met Liz's. "But what I want is not important. Your son is. And if you'll let me help, I promise I'll do everything in my power to bring him home to you. But, if you'd like me to leave, I'll leave. It's your call."

"No." Liz felt Max's hand squeeze hers in gratitude. She pulled in a shaky breath and swallowed hard. The words were more difficult to say than she'd imagined. "We…need your help." Liz glanced up at Max as he wrapped an arm around her shoulder for support. His small encouraging smile pushed her forward. "Getting our son back is what's most important right now." When her gaze met Tess' there was a slight thaw in their dark depths. "Please. Stay."

"Good. Now its time to get down to business." Michael stated as his eyes met Max's. He nodded to the loveseat. "We've got a plan if you're willing to listen."

Nodding, Max and Liz silently slipped onto the seat Michael had indicated. Never once letting go of each others' hand. Never once being out of step with one another. "What's this plan you've come up with?"

"Ben. You explain." Michael stated authoritatively. "It is your plan."

Looking slightly uncomfortable, Ben cleared his throat and nodded. "Ok. Uh…well, I think the first step is for Tess to make contact with Nasedo again. We really only have half of the story about this ritual that's supposed to be performed and how this is all supposed to work. Now, to do that…" Ben paused as his gaze met Liz's inquiringly. "…Tess will have to pretend to be willing to have your son."

Liz nodded stiffly. Max's fingers entwined encouragingly through hers as pulled her into him for support. She instinctively responded by covering his hand with hers.

Ben continued. "I think the best and safest thing is if Tess goes alone."

"But…" Liz began.

Ben held up his hand. "Michael and I will be outside waiting for her in the car. She'll be wired so we can hear everything going on. I've got contacts…"

"Ted?" Liz inquired, the first hint of a smile touching her lips.

Ben smiled in return as he nodded. "Yeah. Ted. I've already called him and he's agreed to loan me the equipment." Glancing around the group, Ben continued. "Once we get the details on this ritual he's been talking about then we'll know how to proceed."

"I don't like it." Max was the first to voice concerns.

Blinking in surprise, Ben stiffened. "Why not?"

"Well, for starters, I don’t like not being involved. I think I should be there too so I can help if something happens. Which is my second concern. Too many things could go wrong. With Tess facing Nasedo on her own and the two of you too far away to help. Not to mention, only one of you has any powers and…no offence, Michael, but you’ve never quite gotten control of yours. So, I’m thinking this plan of Ben’s is just a tad risky." Max stated simply as his gaze shifted to Michael. "Don't you agree?"

"The possibility of something going wrong is going to be there, Max. I mean, this is Nasedo we're talking about." Michael responded logically. "But it's the best we've been able to come up with. As for my powers, I’ve been working on them. With Tess and me…we can handle it. And Ben will be there for back up while you and Liz, who I'm sure Nasedo would love to get his hands on, will be safe for the time being.”

Michael paused, his next reason giving both Liz and Max a dose of reality they hadn’t previously considered. “Look, Max…if you thought Liz was in danger before just because you loved her…” He shook his head solemnly. “…that danger has just skyrocketed now that she’s the mother of a prince. You need to stay here and protect Liz. We have no idea if Nasedo’s working alone or if he has help at this point. Tess can get as much info as possible and get a lay of the office. That way, when we go back to get your son, we'll know exactly what we're dealing with."

Doubt still lingered in Max's eyes as he turned to look at Liz. "What do you think?"

There was a moment of hesitancy before Liz went with her gut instinct. "I…think for now, it's all we've got."

Nodding with a hint of reluctance, Max turned back to the group. "Alright. It's a go." His gaze met Tess'. "You sure you're up to this?"

Tess nodded. Few in the room missed the way Ben's hand snaked over to cover hers reassuringly. "Yeah. I want to do this, Max. For you…" Her gaze shifted to the petite woman sitting by his side. His other half. The wife of his heart. "…for all of you." She glanced at Ben in response to a gentle squeeze of her hand. "I uh…I need something from you both though."

"What's that?"

"The ring that you gave Liz."

"Why?" Liz asked curiously as her hand immediately drifted to the ring hanging delicately around her neck.

Tess shrugged. "It's what Nasedo said we needed to save the baby."

Face scrunching up in confusion, Max's quiet question echoed in the room. "But why would he need that ring?"

"I really don't know." Tess shook her head. "But I intend to find out."

Lost a moment in thought, Liz shook her head. Her fingers rubbed over the amber stone reverently. "No."

"No, what?" Maria asked.

"No, I don't want to give the ring up."

"Liz…" A note of warning edged Max's protest.

Eyes meeting Max's Liz shook her head. "No, Max. It…it's not that I don't…" Her gaze shifted to Tess. "I can feel the power in this ring. I've always felt it. I think…I think if you take it with you, something irrevocable is going to happen and I just…" She let out a sigh. "I'm sorry. I don't want our choices taken away from us."

Realizing what Liz was most afraid of Tess nodded. "Alright. I understand." Shrugging her shoulders she glanced around the room. "Any ideas how to convince him I couldn't get the ring?"

After a lengthy silence, Ben swallowed hard and spoke. "Use this."

Every eye turned to see Ben holding out Liz's engagement ring.

Liz's breath caught in her chest. "Oh, Ben…we couldn't…"

A bittersweet smile touched his lips. "Look, I have no use for it now." As the uncomfortable silence continued, Ben's eyes met Liz's bright with a sheen of unshed tears. "It's yours anyway. Just…" Deliberately turning to Tess, Ben placed the ring in her hand and closed her fingers over it. "…alter it. Make it look like the one Max gave to Liz and when Nasedo wants to see it, use your powers to make it appear to have power."

Full of gratitude, Liz's voice shook as she swallowed past a lump that rose in her throat. "Thank you, Ben."

Nodding curtly, Ben refused to meet Liz's eyes and cleared his throat, standing abruptly. "I'll uh…get the equipment from Ted if we're going to do this tonight."

Tess stood with him. "I'll go with you."

"Yeah, we'd better go too…" Michael stated after casting Maria a meaningful glance.

Before they knew it, Max and Liz were standing in the room alone once more. Turning to each other simultaneously, Max opened his arms and Liz stepped willingly into them. With a deep sigh, Max pulled her to him, his whisper of reassurance sending a trickle of warmth straight into her heart. "I'll get him back for you, Liz. I promise you I will. Even if it’s the last thing I ever do…"

The echo of Max's final promise sent a shiver through Liz Parker's soul…

Tbc…
Ashton
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Chpt 20 NEW

Post by Ashton »

~ chapter 20 ~

They say war is hell.

Bloody. Messy. Final.

This one was no exception.

Then again, a fight to the death between Good and Evil usually is.

That meant there had been injuries. There had been danger. And sacrifices. Hearts full of fear. And instinctive, defining moments meant for heroes.

One by one they were brought to the battlefield. As agreed, Tess entered Nasedo's lair of danger willingly. Michael and Ben joined her at enemy gunpoint. Having been kidnapped on the way back to her apartment, Maria was presented to the gathering group as a feisty hostage. And when, with guns at their backs, Liz and Max finally entered the room separated by everything except their panicked and intense glances, it was clear their hastily laid plans had been trumped.

Finally face to face, the clash of wills was instantly palpable. Enemy against enemy. King against usurper. Human against alien. Threats and challenges were tossed out with reckless bravado. Grand schemes of domination were unveiled. Loathing and fear hung in the air like droplets of rain.

Truth was revealed.

Nasedo **had** stolen Max and Liz's son all those years ago. Trapping his essence in a small vial that rippled with extraordinary power, Nasedo intended to fully exploit him when returning to Antar as the Prince's prized protector. As for the past, Liz's memory had been altered so she remembered nothing of her pregnancy, her symptoms had been enhanced with a brilliant display of mindwarping to convince Max to abandon her, and Tess' life wasn't in danger after all. It was all a ploy to keep Max and Liz separated for as long as possible. Nasedo never imagined Max wouldn't succumb to Tess' natural charms and bed her in a moment of vulnerability or desire, whichever came first. The fact that he hadn't after all these years was a tribute to either his unwavering love for a lowly human or his stupidity.

Nasedo was counting on both.

A fierce scuffle ensued in which Nikolas and his goons joined Nasedo's miniscule force of a few bodyguards. Punches were thrown. Escapes were attempted. Defiance crackled and snapped in each captives' eyes. But when Liz replaced Maria as the ultimate hostage and her life was threatened, Nasedo controlled the room with perfect ease.

Until someone got angry...

The beginnings of a faint rumble increased in intensity until the entire building was shaking with the force of it. Walls began breaking apart, cracking from floor to ceiling. Tiles fell in huge clumps from the ceiling crushing anything in their paths. There were shrieks of fear and cries of pain as friends and foes were pounded with errant shards of shattering glass and splintered wood. Orders to seize all prisoners and retreat were barked with frantic urgency.

Guard having fallen by his side, Michael rushed to Maria's side and knocked out the guard holding her captive. Covering her with his own body, he pulled her toward the relative safety of a corner desk where they huddled in growing panic as they watched everything falling apart around them. Across the room, Ben fell under the weight of a crumbling ceiling tile and Tess screamed his name through the dust and chaos. Fighting her way free of her captor, she raced toward Ben with panic-laced eyes. Tears streaming down her face she frantically glanced around her for an escape. None was evident. Until Michael came to her rescue. Both supporting his weight, they half-carried, half-dragged Ben to the safety of Maria's hiding place.

"What the hell is going on?!" Michael barked to Tess with wide eyes.

Shaking her head, she hastily brushed the tears from her face with the back of her hand. Pushing back the hair from Ben's forehead before running a shaky hand over his face, her voice was tear-filled as she hastily answered Michael. "I don't know. I don't know, Michael. Something's been…been activated. Something powerful." Her breath caught in her throat when she finally located his pulse and found none. "God, Michael, he's not breathing. Help me! He's not breathing!"

More tears came. Frantic movements of shaking hands. Maria quickly took control as Tess was clearly unable. "Tess, let me. Let me. I know CPR." Tess' eyes were glued to the tragedy unfolding before her as Maria worked quickly. In a matter of moments, she received a response. His body convulsed with a sudden gasp of air as his eyes fluttered opened. The first thing Ben saw when he opened his aquamarine eyes was Tess' tear-stained face. He attempted a weak smile as he reached up and grasped her hand in his. "What's…wrong? Did you…think I was…going to break…my promise?"

Tess leaned forward and squeezed Ben's hand as she blinked away more gathering tears. "What promise?"

"That you wouldn't…" Ben pulled in a raggedly painful breath. "…wouldn't do this…alone?"

Tears fell on his skin. Tess shook her head emphatically and bit her lip to keep back a cry of inner anguish. Her fingers gently caressed his face as a shy smile spread over her face. "No. No, I knew you wouldn't leave me alone." As she leaned her head on his chest, her gentle whisper made him smile. "Never alone again…"

The shaking and rumbling halted abruptly.

Tess' head shot up and she looked around behind her at the chaos left in its wake. Maria peered out from around the corner of the desk. Michael was the first to move from their hiding place into the relative calm. His first assessment of the damage was a curse. Then…

"Where are Max and Liz? And where's that son of theirs?"

Maria scrambled from the floor to stand next to Michael. "They're…gone."

"No, they're not." Tess spoke as her blue eyes zeroed in on a door at the far end of the room. A door that had previously been hidden and was currently swinging on its hinges. A slender finger pointed. "There."

"Are you sure?" The query came from Maria's direction.

"Nasedo's not going to give up this easily. He's taken them. I'd stake my life on it."

"Well, I'm not waiting to debate this." Ready for action, Michael immediately stepped into 'leader' mode. "You two stay here with Ben…"

"No." The refusal came from Ben who had managed to stand. His eyes snapped with determination. "I didn't come this far to not finish this."

"But you've been hurt." Immediately by his side, Tess' concern was evident in her eyes, her voice, her touch.

"I was knocked out, yes. But I'm ok now. I can move. I can think. Fight, if need be." A self-depreciating smirk touched his lips. "I may be a lawyer, but I come from a pretty tough breed. Besides…" Eyes meeting Michael's Ben finished his case. "…we don't know what Michael's walking into. From what just happened, I'll bet Max and Liz need all the help they can get and, no offense Michael, but your help may not be enough."

"You're sure you can make it?" Michael asked.

"Yeah."

One nod was his answer. "Alright then. Let's go."

Picking their way through the rubble and fallen bodies, the group headed toward the opened door at the end of the room…
~~~~~~~~~
As the world was falling down around them, Max and Liz were hauled to their feet and hurried toward a previously hidden door. Roughly pushed through, Max and Liz were jostled about down a long corridor. When they stumbled, they were pulled. When they fell, they were yanked to their feet. Fighting tears of pain and frustration, she and Max were pushed forward into a room and commanded to halt. Liz almost breathed a sigh of relief.

Almost. But not quite.

On a platform about ten feet away, Nasedo towered above them holding a box in his hands. The triumphant flash in his eyes, the smirk on his lips indicated that, despite the past ten minutes of destruction, he felt he held all the cards in his grubby shape-shifting hands. Given the contents of that box…

Apparently, he did.

"So. Mom. Dad." An evil smile curved Nasedo's lips. "Ever wonder what your son is like?" He held the ornately covered box out to them, taunting them. "I've got 'im right here. Every powerful molecule of him. Care to take a look?" His smile deepened as he possessively pulled the box to his chest. "Of course, the show will come at a price."

Max and Liz exchanged quick glances. In that look was an unspoken message. A solidarity of purpose. A unity of spirit. "We don't need to see him, Nasedo. We know exactly what's he's like." Max's chin raised in defiance. "We created him."

"Ah, yes. Your…" Nasedo paused as the disdain in his voice became evident. "…'connection'. Did you ever wonder why you got that image before you'd ever slept together?" Seeing the blank looks on Max and Liz's face, Nasedo continued. "I gave it to you."

Liz was instantly defiant. "No. No, you couldn't have."

"Oh, please." Rolling his eyes Nasedo nearly broke into a diabolical chuckle. "After stealing your memories, not to mention your son, do you really think its such a stretch that I could mindwarp a connection between you and his Royal Highness here? There isn't anything the two of you haven't done or said to each other that I don't know about."

"And because of that…" Turning his back on the two of them, Nasedo ascended a few steps before placing the box on a table then stepping behind it to address Max and Liz once more.

Then…an ultimatum was leveled.

"Max Evans, you now have a choice. You can stand your ground and banish your family and friends to death. Or…you can take your son's place as my property, accompany me to our home planet and be my virtual slave where I will be the real power behind the throne, ruling Antar through you."

"When hell freezes over!"

The venom with which Liz spoke those words prompted an evil curl of Nasedo's lips though his eyes never left Max's. "Human women are so emotional, don't you agree, my…" He pause, the sneer in his lips making its way to his voice as he pronounced the title with ridicule. "…Lord?" Placing his hands palm down on the table, Nasedo leaned forward and spoke only to an audience of one. "While you and I…why we are men of logic. Men of reality. We know when a battle has been lost. When ours backs are up against the wall. When the only options left to us are to surrender."

Swallowing hard, Max's darkening eyes flickered with emotion. His hands clenched and unclenched at his side. Now, more than ever, Max Evans saw the evil that had separated him from his love. Now, more than ever, he vowed to himself not to let evil win again.

"You can't kill us, Nasedo. You need us."

Throwing his head back, Nasedo let out a howl of fiendish laughter. "Need you? Weak and insignificant half human that you are?"

"I'm also an alien king. One that you need to rule." Max stated with growing confidence. "We all know, it's either me or my son, Nasedo. You need one of us to take over the throne on Antar. And for you to use my son, you need him alive, which means…you need Liz." Shaking his head with certainty, Max's level gaze met Nasedo's in challenge. "You can't kill us without destroying all of your plans."

"Oh, I wouldn't be so sure about that, your Highness." Nasedo responded with increasing disdain. "All I really need is your son, which I have, and an able-bodied woman to carry him to term." His eyes narrowed deviously as his gaze shifted to rake over Liz. "The Missus here looks like she's quite capable. Of course, after she's had the brat…" Nasedo's eyes crackled with amusement. "…she'll be of no use to me either and will easily follow you to your grave."

"Then again…" A sneer crossed his lips. "…I could always go with plan two." The dramatic pause was pregnant with anticipatory gloating. "Tess."

"Over my dead body." Liz practically spat out each word.

"Be careful what you ask, dearie…" Nasedo's cold eyes snapped with dangerous fire. "…you just might get it sooner than you think. In fact, I think now is a good time for a little lesson..." With little warning, Nasedo held out his hand toward Liz.

A bolt of electricity hit Liz with a force that knocked her off her feet. She fell to the ground with a sickening thud as her body convulsed and her intense scream echoed off the chamber walls. Max was instantly in motion. Closing the space between them, he fell to her side and attempted to touch her but the currents of electricity prevented any contact. "Stop! Stop it right now!"

Unable to obey a direct command from his king, Nasedo halted the torture with a curl of satisfaction racing across his lips. He watched as his king gathered Liz's seemingly lifeless body to him and began rocking her back and forth as tears formed in his eyes. "Liz. Liz, honey…please be ok. Oh God, what did he do to you? Wake up. Wake up and talk to me." Brushing the hair back from her face, Max rained gently kisses across her skin, whispering soft words of love and encouragement. "Please, Liz. Don't leave me now. Not this way. Please open your eyes…"

As if in response to his gentle pleadings, Liz's dark lashes fluttered and her eyes opened to stare into Max's face. "M...Max?"

"Oh, God…" Capturing her lips with his, Max's love and relief poured into Liz replenishing the strength that had been zapped from her system. As the kiss deepened, a decision flaring in Max's heart instantly passed through a growing connection and flashed through Liz's mind. She abruptly broke their kiss and gazed into his eyes. Seeing the truth she'd just felt, Liz began shaking her head as tears instantly formed. "No. No, Max, you can't…"

"I have no choice. It's the only way." Cradling her face in his hands, a tear slipped down Max's face as his fierce whisper echoed the conviction of his heart. "I won't watch you die."

Fingers curling into the fabric of his shirt, Liz clung to him in earnest and tried to keep him from doing the one thing she feared most. "No. No, I won't let you. You…you can't, Max. Please…please don't do this…"

Her protest was halted by a heart-stopping kiss. Savoring each taste. Drinking in every drop of emotion. Locking each brush of skin against skin, every mating slant, all the various nuances of a love that would never die deep in the recesses of a memory, Max Evans pulled back with tear-filled eyes. "I love you, Liz Parker." Fingers curling around Liz's face with gentle fierceness, he whispered one final promise. "I will always, **always** love you. No matter where I am. Who…I am. Don't ever forget that."

"Max, no…."

"I'm…sorry." Roughly pulling her fingers from his shirt, Max turned his face away from the only thing that could change his mind. Her tears. After a brief struggle with Liz, with himself, Max extricated himself from Liz's embrace. Unsettled, wavering, he stood and faced Nasedo. "You've given your ultimatum Now I'm giving mine."

"This is how will happen." His commanding gaze shifted to the box on the table. "You will lead us through the ritual required to bring my son back. Then and only then will I leave with you. My son will remain behind…with his mother. Alive and healthy. Once you and I leave this world for Antar you are never to return. Never. And you can't send anyone to harm anyone I love here in this world. If you do, you will feel the full force of my power as king." Leveling Nasedo with a knowing look, Max's jaws tightened with determination. "And I think we both know that'll be one helluva force or else you wouldn't be going through all of this to pull my royal strings." Satisfaction flared in Max's eyes when he saw Nasedo visibly swallow. "So, then. Do we have a deal?"

Nasedo nodded once. "Yes. We have a deal."

Having succumbed to the ultimate blackmail, one life was exchanged for six. From the high privilege of freedom to the chains of slavery. From one planet to another. Sacrificing one future so another could be, Max Evans took a step forward to the tearful protests of Liz Parker.

It was at that precise moment that all hell broke loose.

Tbc…
Ashton
Enthusiastic Roswellian

NEW Chpt 21

Post by Ashton »

Hey all!

I can't apologize enough for not getting back to this sooner. I've been sick a lot and haven't been able to write much, but I finally got this done. There are at the most only 2 chapters left of this story. I tried to move it along a little more by jumping forward a year into the future. Hope it's not too confusing and that you do enjoy! As usual, thank you sooo very much for your support and encouragement. Would love to know what you think!!! Thank you!!!!

Hugs,
Ashton
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~ chapter 21 ~

One year later….

"It's not right."

To the sound of Maria's voice, Isabel Evans swept into the Guerin apartment with a flourish that no one noticed. With a disappointed roll of her eyes, she advanced from the foyer into the living room to find five members of her human-alien family gathered around a low seated table in the center of the room.

Lounging on the floor, Maria was casually wrapped in Michael's arms while Ben and Tess leaned back against the plush sofa. Alex sat cross-legged in front of the fireplace, quietly strumming his guitar. They had clearly finished eating and were engaged in a rousing game of 'let's remember' when Maria made her cryptic statement.

Ben took a sip of wine before prompting Maria with a tell-tale question. "What's not right?"

"Us. Being here together."

"I don't understand. What's not right about celebrating the one year anniversary of Nasedo's death and our deliverance from the alien freak that wanted to rule the universe?" Eyebrows knitting together in confusion, Ben took another drink after speaking.

"Because we're celebrating without Max and Liz." Tess added, knowing the direction her friend was headed.

A slightly intoxicated Maria pointed an acknowledging finger in Tess' direction. "Exactly."

"But they're out of town. Together." Alex Whitman countered logically as he hit a perfect chord. "That's a good thing." His uncertain gaze shifted to the faces around the room. "Right?"

"It would be…" Finding an opening to dramatically announce her presence, Isabel entered the conversation with a bombshell. "…if they were together, together. Romantic setting. Nothing to do but make up for lost time." Sashaying her way into the room, Isabel seated herself in a side chair and smoothed her short, revealing skirt before addressing her friends once more. "As it is, Liz is in Roswell showing Noah off to the folks and Max is in Albuquerque attending a conference for his job."

Satisfied she had everyone's full attention, Isabel continued filling in details of Liz and Max's first trip together as Maria handed her a glass of non-alcoholic wine. "This is the first time mom, dad and the Parkers have seen their grandson so Liz is going to be pretty busy shuttling Noah back and forth between them. Max is dropping in for a night before they all head back home." A pointed look preceded her next statement. "He'll be staying across town from Liz…with mom and dad."

Flipping her long blonde hair behind her shoulders, she was oblivious to the way Alex's eyes lit up the moment he saw her. "You know, even though Liz and Max live in the same city, they don't have all that much alone time together. In fact, it's never just the two of them. Not with Noah around."

"Wait a sec." Alex, the least updated and therefore the most clueless member of the group, interrupted. "I thought the whole point of Liz moving to New York was to be with Max. For them to be a family. Last I heard, the plan was for Max to stay at his job with the city and Liz would stay home with Noah." His curious gaze shifted to Maria. "But it sounds like you're saying they aren't even in the same apartment now."

"Uh…no. They aren't. She only stayed with Max for about six months…long enough to get a place of her own, then she moved out." This bit of information came from Ben's quarters. "Nice little two bedroom not too far from Max. I had some friends in New York who set her up. It’s a really nice area. There's a park across the street and shopping just around the corner.” Ben paused, his voice losing a hint of his earlier approval. “But for all that, she seriously misses Boston."

"Yeah, Liz isn't happy there at all." Maria contributed. "Oh, she won't come out and say it, but I can tell how depressed she is when we talk on the phone." Shaking her head, she slipped her hand into Michael's. "It seems none of her dreams are coming true in the Big Apple."

"Maybe she's not letting them." Michael commented quietly.

"Michael…"

"What?" Voice defensively edged, Michael turned to the wife who had begun to protest. "You know it's true, Maria. Max has been busting his butt to make up for everything that's happened…to make her happy…and she blocks him every step of the way."

"So if that's your take on Max and Liz, what in the world made you think they were taking a trip together?" Isabel asked.

Michael addressed Isabel's comments with a sharp tone. "Because that's what he told us." His eyes narrowed at her disbelieving, upraised eyebrow. "Look. Max said they were just dropping Noah off then going somewhere to…" Wiggling his eyebrows, Michael let the suggestion dangle. He nearly scoffed. "I should have known he was lying…"

"Yeah, you should have. Max and Liz haven't…" Isabel wiggled her eyebrows back at Michael before dropping another bombshell. "…since high school. As for lying…why shouldn't he? All he gets from you guys are long lectures about how to have a successful human-alien relationship when none of you know what’s really going on with the two of them. You know, with everyone's expectations about them getting back together being so high, I'd lie too if I were Max just to get you off my back for a while."

"Max and Liz still haven't slept together?" Tess asked before letting out a low whistle when Isabel nodded. "Wow. Now that's what I call restraint."

"I can think of another word for it." Michael commented in as he grabbed a cookie and popped it in his mouth.

"So…" Ben's logical mind kicked into over-drive. "…you're saying that Max was going to come home pretending that he and Liz had…when they hadn't?"

Isabel shrugged. "Don't know. Didn't hear that much of their conversation."

Tess' eyebrows raised. "You were eavesdropping?"

Mock indignation flashed in Isabel's eyes. "Is it my fault they hold a highly suspicious 'discussion' in my presence?"

"Highly suspicious?" Alex asked as he laid the guitar to the side.

Rolling her eyes, Isabel let out a sigh. "Ok. Alright. So I dropped in to see my nephew the other day and they were obviously in the middle of an argument. Liz said she had to check on Noah and she barely hit Noah's room before Max made some lame excuse about showing her where he put the diapers and followed her. Of course, once they got in there, they shut the door and turned on one of those tapes Noah falls asleep to. And then there was all these heated whispers."

"So you just assumed…"

"…that whatever they were saying was none of my business." Isabel finished with a quirk of her lips. "And listened to every word."

Suddenly animated, Maria's eyes began to sparkle with interest. "So? What did they say?"

"There was major tension about this trip." Isabel grabbed a carrot and began to nibble. "It all basically boiled down to who was staying where and how exactly to define their relationship to the folks. Liz didn't want either set of parents to get the wrong idea about the two of them, and Max didn't have enough backbone to stand up to her…hence the staying at mom and dad's while she crashes at the Parker's."

"With sleeping arrangements like that, I don't think anyone will get the wrong idea. Especially Max and Liz." Michael's sarcastic comment lead to silent contemplation.

"Yeah, well…Liz was none too happy about whatever Max had told you about the trip either." Isabel added, tossing Michael a caustic glance. "Now I know why."

Maria's shoulders slumped in disappointment. "This is all so sad." Michael attempted to wrap a comforting arm around her shoulder, but she shrugged him off as her eyes began to blaze. "Don't you all think this is sad? After all they've gone through…it's just…" Running a hand of frustration through her hair, Maria sat up straighter. "..it's not right."

"So, we're back to that again, huh?" Ben tossed out only to be silenced by a look from Tess.

"Do you even think they're still in love?" Alex ventured quietly.

"DUUUH!" The resounding answer from every other member of the group echoed in the group.

"Max and Liz will never love anyone else the way they love each other. Ever. To even think they could is a complete joke. And anyone thinking they have a chance with either of them are nothing but damn fools." Michael commented gruffly before tossing a glance in Ben's direction. "No offense."

"None taken." Ben responded with a hint of acceptance in his voice.

"Neither of them have let go of the other. I'd stake my life on it." Maria added. "Which is what makes all of this so crazy. I just…I can't imagine them not being together after everything that's happened. I mean…they have a son for God's sake. It's obvious how much they love each other…how in love they still are…it's just…" Letting out an exaggerated sigh, Maria's looking for. "…it's as if something happened. Something that night…"

"Maybe something did." Tess stated quietly, her gaze shifting to Ben. "Maybe we have the answers to Max and Liz's problems right here in this very room." Noting the obviously raised eyebrow in his direction, Ben shrugged his shoulders nonchalantly as his lips formed a tight, thin line. Recognizing the purposefully innocent look on Ben's face, Tess let out a sigh of disappointment and turned back to this unlikely group that had unexpectedly become her closest friends. "Or maybe not."

"For those of us that weren't invited to the grand destruction party a year ago…" Alex placed his guitar into its case and carefully closed the lid before glancing up at the waiting party. "…why don't you tell us again exactly what happened that night? Maybe we can figure it out together."

"Man, we've gone over this a million times." Michael stated with a weary growl.

"Yes…" Isabel agreed while cutting a glance in Alex's direction. "…and each time we're amazed and grateful that any of you are still alive…"

Alex nodded and finished Isabel's thought. "But we still don't understand how what happened then is keeping Liz and Max apart now."

"Neither do we, Alex." Maria commented softly before tucking herself back into Michael's comforting arms. "Neither do we." Squeezing Michael's hand encouragingly, Maria added softly. "Perhaps we are missing something. You know, going over it once more won't hurt. It might even help…"

Taking a deep breath, Michael's voice was low as he calmly began relating the events that bought them all their freedom, and somehow stole Liz and Max's chance at happiness. He concluded with the obvious. "Look. All we know is that by the time we got to the room, Max had made a deal with Nasedo. What exactly…we don't know. To this day, Max and Liz won't tell us. But whatever it was it sure made Junior pretty pissed off because as soon as the deal was made…"

"All hell broke loose." Alex stated simply. "That still doesn't explain what happened to Max and Liz."

A sad silence permeated the room until Tess spoke. "She almost died."

"What?"

"Liz. She almost died." Tess repeated her blue eyes glued to her hands, nervously twisting her lap. "After losing Max. Losing Noah. She almost died to keep all of us safe." Gaze raising slowly, Tess looked at Michael first, then Maria, Alex, Isabel and finally moved to Ben. "Maybe that's what happened. Maybe she feels she has nothing left to sacrifice. Not even for Max. Not even to love again."

"And maybe…just maybe Max hasn't given her a reason to try…" Though the words weren’t spoken out loud, Ben felt each syllable to the depths of his soul.

The voice called to her.

Cradled in the chilling arms of death, she didn't want to listen. She didn't want to go. She didn't want to leave this place of dark beauty. A place where there was no pain. No doubts. No betrayals.

Only peace. Peace, and rest. And dreams.

The dreams were a powerful balm to a shattered existence facing eternity. They were edged with tenderness and sprinkled with laughter. A passionate cord weaved in and out of an atmosphere absorbed with love and affection. A canopy of sunshine created a haven of warmth and devotion. Faces drifted in an out. Max. Noah. Maria. Ben. Friends and family alike created a circle of acceptance and hope.

She felt safe. She felt sheltered. She felt loved.

She wished she could stay here in this balance forever.

But the voice was desperate. Tender. Full of a love that stirred her own soul to attention.

She struggled to stay in the sheltered silence, but the voice wouldn't relent. It kept calling her name. Begging her to stay with him. Reminding her there was still so much left for them to do together. So many years to live. So much time to make up. Pleading with her to take the journey from the rest she'd found to a world of chaos and unimagined possibilities.

Refusing to lose his very heart, he touched her.

The ice-cold arms of death that embraced her began to tremble. The disturbing serenity that surrounded her began to crack and crumble. A current of warmth slipped through crevices and fissures created by his gentle caress. To a heart, torn and wearied by fear and pain, there was a sudden jolt of life and energy. With it came the sensation of another heart beating inside of hers. Coaxing the core of her soul to a steady, familiar rhythm.

Then she felt the rain. Large drops of sorrow and loneliness fell around her, soaking the dark clouds that formed her bed. In one last desperate attempt to remain in the arms of unconsciousness, she clung to the images floating in her head. But the visions turned to mist, and soon she felt herself slipping toward a bright light with increasing speed.

Words became coherent. Desperation was palpable. Love was suddenly tangible.

"Liz. Please. Please come back to me." The whispered plea blew against her hair as drops of tears plopped onto her face and slipped down her cheeks. Soft hair feathered against her skin as a head dropped heavily into the crook of her neck. There was the dizzying sensation of being rocked back and forth by strong, tender arms of protection. The voice spoke again. "Please, Liz. Come back. I…I love…you…need you…so very much…"

Like magic words unlocking a door, Liz Parker's entire being clicked into place.

Lashes fluttering and a gasp for air were the first signs of life that Liz Parker had exhibited in over an hour. Max Evans' head snapped up the second he felt her stir. A wide, brilliant smile shot across his expression as he called out her name and crushed her in a relieved embrace. Raining haphazard kisses across her face, Max's lips connected with hers in a deep soul-searing kiss that ended with another crushing hug.

When he finally released Liz, her gaze immediately, painfully shifted from Max's tear-streaked face to those of her anxiously gathered friends. The same relief filling Max's dark eyes was mirrored in the eyes of the friends gathered around her bed. "What…what happened?" Liz stammered as she pushed Max back and struggled to sit up.

"We were kinda hoping you'd be able to tell us that." Michael interjected cautiously.

Shaking her head, Liz fixed her eyes on him as she wrapped her arms around her knees when she pulled them protectively to her chest. "What do you mean?"

Shrugging, Michael indicated an ornate box lying on the bed next to Liz. "Junior there went Kamakazi on us…" Eyes meeting Liz's, Michael swallowed hard. "…and he used you to do it. It's a damn miracle any of us are alive after the way that munchkin took control of everything and went completely whacko."

"What?" The breathless whisper trembled with emotion as Liz stared at the box by her side.

"Look. None of that matters." Sending Michael a clear look of disapproval, Max shifted so he could look into Liz's eyes. "What's important is…" He took her hands in his and cradled them against his chest. "…you're alive. We all are."

Despite Max's words of inclusion, Liz Parker suddenly felt very much alone. "But…but what about Nasedo?"

Max swallowed hard, his next words edged with relief. "It's over, Liz. Nasedo's dead. So are his henchmen. There's nothing to fear anymore." Smile haunting his lips, Max's eyes brightened with hope. "We have our son back and…and we're together. We can finally be a family…just the way we've always dreamed."

"But…how?" Voice gaining in strength, Liz once more appealed to the friends standing around her bed. An uneasy silence permeated the room as witnesses to an unexplained phenomenon exchanged glances. "Maria? Ben? What…what are you guys not telling me?"

Maria slipped onto the edge of the bed next to Liz and placed a reassuring hand on her shoulder. "It's nothing, hon. Really. We just…we were really surprised by what happened. And we were really scared." Her gaze shifted to Max then back to Liz. "We didn't think…Lizzie, you were out for so long, we didn't think you were coming back to us."

"Despite what Michael says…" Swallowing hard, Max's gaze shifted to the box by her side. "…he saved our lives, Liz. All of us. The only reason we're here now is because of him." Max's voice dropped to a whisper. "And you."

Max hung his head as a new wave of emotion hit him. Seeing him relive some unknown anguish of the past few hours, Liz turned to Max with a softening expression. How she wanted to reach out to him. Touch him. Take away some of his pain. But something deep inside of her held her back. Doubts and uncertainty. Fears and pain. Everything she'd seen, all that she'd felt kept her reactions in check. So, she reached out to Max the only way she could with a gentle plea. "Max? Max, tell me what happened. Please. I need to know."

Shaking his head, Max's expression became distant as if he were remembering every detail. "It all happened so fast it's hard to explain everything that happened. Right after I made the deal with Nasedo, the ground began to shake like it had before. Tiles began to fall from the ceiling. Cabinets were dislodged and crashing all around us. I was thrown to the ground and crawled over to you to protect you from anything that might fall. Only this time…this time you didn't need my protection."

"Why not?"

"Because you were already being protected." Max's cryptic answer creased Liz's brow. Max hastened to explain. "There was this…shield, Liz. A very powerful shield surrounding you. And when I tried to reach you I couldn't. That's when I realized…I was being protected too."

"But how?"

"Our son." Max answered with a hint of pride edging his eyes. "The lid to this box flew open and when Nasedo lunged for it…he was hit with a ray of light so forceful it threw him across the room. That came directly from our son, Liz." Chest expanding with a sigh of pride, Max's voice lowered with awe. "I never dreamed he'd be so powerful."

Unable to be silent any longer, Michael jumped into the tale with the scene he and the others had walked in on. "By the time we reached you, it was like a huge laser show. The light coming from that box was so bright it was blinding. I'm telling you, Liz, that kid of yours was throwing guards left and right, pinning them to the walls and skewering them like they were rag dolls. And then…then the wildest thing happened."

"What?"

"Nasedo tried to attack you and…" Ben joined the conversation. "…your son…his essence…it found you, Liz."

"Found me?"

"Yeah." Maria chimed in. "It was…unbelievable. In fact, if I hadn't seen it with my own two eyes…" Taking a breath, Maria stumbled over her words in explanation. "This…bolt…shot from that box there right across the room and hit you. It was like a rainbow, Liz…the way it arched in the air. All the colors. All the sparkling shades. Next thing we all knew you were the one throwing people against the walls and creating general havoc."

"And when Nasedo recovered enough to realize what was going on…" Ben stepped forward, his aquamarine eyes shining with excitement. "…you destroyed him with a ball of fire."

"A ball of fire?" Liz's eyes widened.

All heads nodded vigorously in unison.

"Noah did all of that…through me?" Gaze following Max's, Liz's expression softened with infinite tenderness as her hand ran lightly over the top of the box housing the soul of her only son.

"Noah?" Maria's inquiry was softly asked.

Max covered Liz's hand with his as he answered Maria's question. "That's what…we named our son. Noah Maxwell Evans."

As if having been reminded of something, Liz stiffened and pulled her hand out of Max's grip. A look of hurt flashed in Max's eyes but went seemingly unnoticed as Liz's voice hardened. "What about Tess? Is she still alive?" The group exchanged glances that Liz quickly picked up on. "What? Well, is she alive or isn't she?"

"I'm sure you're hoping for a big fat 'no' on that…" Having listened to part of the conversation unseen, Tess Harding entered the bedroom holding a thick, opened book in her hands. "…but I survived. Just like everyone else. Thanks to you."

Heading off the potential storm he saw brewing in Liz's eyes, Max jumped in to quickly explain. "Tess went through Nasedo's papers. She's been trying to figure out the ritual that will bring Noah back to us."

"I see." Eyes fixed on Tess, Liz nodded to the book in Tess' hands. "If that's the instruction manual, you can put it away. We won't be needing it."

"Liz…" Max began to protest when Liz suddenly turned her gaze to the box by her side.

"I want to be alone."

"But Liz…" The desperation in Max's voice as he reached for her nearly broke Liz's resolve.

Liz physically pulled away from Max though the emotional distance had been growing since he'd mentioned their son. Placing a protective hand on their son's temporary home, Liz's voice chilled to glacier-like temperatures. "I mean it. I want everyone to leave." Cradling the box to her chest, a hardened gaze cut to the concerned friends standing around her. "Leave! Now!"

Before they knew it, the five other occupants of the room were on the other side of the door. Head hung low, Max was the first to spin around when they heard the door open behind them a mere seconds later. His eyes lit up hopefully at the sight of Liz standing in the door of the room they'd just vacated. Eyes downcast, her voice shook with an uncertain whisper. "I need…I need to talk to you."

Max took an eager step forward.

Liz's eyes cut upward to meet his. "No. Not you." Her gaze shifted to just over Max's shoulder. "Ben. Please. I need you…"

The door barely closed behind Ben when Michael let out a low whistle. "Dude. That can't be good."

"Michael!" Maria hissed.

"What? I'm just saying…"

Max literally heard Maria's elbow hit the middle of Michael's stomach. It would have been funny, if he wasn't fighting back a lump of bile in his throat. Swallowing hard, Max's voice came out in a raspy whisper. "I'm going for a walk…"

As the door slammed behind Max, Michael turned to Maria. "Damn. Didn’t see that one coming." Stuffing his hands in his pockets, Michael hung his head. "So…what do we do now?"

The answer to his question came from another quarter as Tess stepped forward, her blue eyes full of concern. Arms crossed in front of her, her gaze shifted from the door Max had exited to the door Ben had entered as a wave of questions clouded her mind. "Now…now, all we can do is wait."

"A year later…" Michael let out a sigh as he shifted his gaze to the blazing fire. "…and we're still waiting." Turning to the gathered group in front of him, Michael's voice was grave with disappointment. "I think its time we admit there's a strong possibility it's never gonna happen."

"And I say…" Maria pulled out of his arms in a huff. "…you're sleeping on the couch tonight…"

As the two began to squabble, no one in the room felt the burden of that wait more than Ben.

As his relaxed smile hid the grim knowledge answering questions his new friends now asked, no one suspected. No one knew. No one guessed the promise to past obligations that had been made. No one imagined the real reason for the separation between Max and Liz.

And how that separation was ripping him in two.

tbc….
Ashton
Enthusiastic Roswellian

CHAPTER 22 (NEW) 1-26-04

Post by Ashton »

Hey all!!

Wow. It's been...forever. Sooo sorry about not updating sooner. I do have the next chpt mostly done so hopefully it'll be out soon. Hope you enjoy. Please be patient. There's a reason why M/L are at the point they are. I hope when it all comes together you'll understand and be satisfied despite their seeming setbacks. :) Thanks as ALWAYS for your amazing support!!!

Hugs,
Ashton

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~ Chapter 22 ~

(Two years from the night Nasedo died…)

"Oh my God! Max!" Liz's distressed exclamation echoed off the hallway walls. Her inquiring gaze snapped to what could only be the obvious offender. "Ben!? What the hell did you do to him!?"

"Him?" Ben asked incredulously as he attempted to push past Liz. "You've **got** to be kidding me." The sarcasm must have zapped his strength. Or perhaps it was the semi-conscious, bloodied Max Evans he was half-dragging next to him. Whatever the reason, he didn't get far before stumbling.

Rushing forward to help, Liz wrapped Max's unoccupied arm around her shoulder and wrapped an arm around his waist. Supporting his weight between the two of them, Ben and Liz managed to deposit Max on the couch in Liz's living room with an ungracious plop. Breath labored, Ben sank down onto a nearby chair. Swiping at a deep cut on his lip, he winced in pain.

Liz was a flurry of activity. Rushing to the bathroom she returned in the blink of an eye. Tossing a towel in Ben's general direction, she immediately knelt down next to the couch and gingerly took Max's face in her hands. Cringing at his painful groan, Liz's tenderness toward Max was poignant as she gently began to assess his wounds. "Shhh, sweetie. It's ok."

"Liz?" Max mumbled as he attempted to reach for her. "Liz…is that you?"

"Yeah, honey, it's me. I'm here." Liz attempted a smile as she captured his hand. "I'll always be here." She gently kissed the hand that had recently clenched in rage and lovingly brushed a lock of hair off his forehead. "You'll be ok now, hon. Just…just rest right now, ok?"

"Honey? Sweetie?" As Max slipped back into a state of unconsciousness, Ben quipped the obvious. "Careful, Liz. Max might actually get the idea you still love him."

A venomous dagger was shot in Ben's direction.

He deflected it with a smirk.

Snapping his fingers as if in remembrance of something, his blue eyes began to twinkle for the first time since arriving at Liz's apartment. "That's right. Aliens and alcohol don't mix, do they? Well…I'd say you've got it made then. You can pretty much have your way with him and he won't remember a damn thing in the morning." A taunting chuckle escaped. "Hell, even a heartfelt confession of love would disappear into a fog of ignorance…"

Turning to Ben, her angry hiss was unmerciful in its accusation. "Dammit, Ben! Would you stop talking nonsense and explain to me exactly how you could do this to him!"

A guarded finger raised. "Hey. Don't pretend you don't know what this is about. This has been a long time coming." Squinting out of one bloodied eye, Ben's tone was droll but defensive. "And in case you hadn't noticed, he gave as good as he got. In fact…better than he got." Nodding toward Max's reclined form, Ben continued. "I guarantee he'll have more injuries from falling when he passed out than anything I could have possibly done to him."

Ignoring his verbal jab, Liz barely spared a glance in his direction as she began to tend to Max's cuts and bruises. "So, how did this happen? What did you do? Hunt him down and start something he couldn't walk away from?"

"Noooo." Ben protested. "I went to talk to him about the move to Boston and he just…" Ben shrugged. "….attacked me."

"Max. Attacked you." Pausing in her task, Liz turned to Ben incredulously.

"Liz…" Sounding quite put out, Ben's eyes turned steely gray. "…that alien of yours is wound so tight I'm surprise he hasn't spun the world off it's axis yet." Sighing, Ben mumbled further explanation. "You know, I don't even know what set him off this time. Maybe because he was drinking…"

"Drinking?" As Ben's earlier comment finally registered, Liz's eyes grew large as saucers. "Oh, my God. Did he do anything…alien? Did…did anyone see?"

"No, we were alone. And don’t worry…he kept all the punches up close, personal and strictly human." Raising his finger to signal an added point, Ben quirked an eyebrow then winced. "And for your information, he landed the first blow. Believe me, it was delivered with as much enthusiasm as his last." He licked his lips and dabbed at a fresh cut that was beginning to bleed again.

Running a hand through her hair, Liz let out a sigh as her shoulders slumped in frustration and guilt. She was the reason this had happened. She was the cause. The fighting, the pain. The tension that permeated every waking moment of the day. There was no denying it. This tightrope she and Max had been walking had finally broken. In their free fall, they'd pulled Ben and Tess down with them. Now…now, they were all struggling just to stay afloat.

And it was all her fault.

She had never wanted to move to New York. After careful deliberation and much coaxing, she finally relented if for no other reason than Max's career. It didn't take long to see the decision had been a disaster, but they stayed the course and tried to make the best of things. So, when the opportunity to move back to Boston presented itself a few weeks before, Liz and Max began once more to debate their options.

Max didn't oppose the move. In fact, it made sense. Except for Tess and Isabel, all of their friends were in Boston. As far as his job, a position had opened up with the county's health department, so he could make a lateral move with a slight pay raise. Liz could start on her masters degree by picking up a few evening courses here and there. And most importantly, they would be back in a city she loved so much. Not to mention, a neighborhood that would be perfect to raise Noah.

The catch: Max believed Liz's affinity to Boston had much more to do with a person living there than the city itself. Liz emphatically denied that was the case. They began to fight. About Ben, about staying, leaving. Old injuries were brought back up and revisited with a vengeance. While Max clearly resented the active role Ben had taken in Liz and Noah's life, Liz wasn't quite ready to trust Tess completely where Max was concerned.

Of course, it didn't help that Ben had been making trips to New York every other weekend since Liz moved there. Their steady and close friendship coupled with a past engagement and a secret bond between them did little to alleviate Max's suspicions. And it didn't aid his denials that Max and Tess had lunch on a regular basis. Or that she was the one he turned to if he needed to talk out his frustrations about the continued distance between him and the mother of his only child.

Hence, the cycle continued.

"God, Ben. I'm so sorry about all of this." Letting out a sigh of resignation, Liz turned back to Max. "This is all my fault."

"Nah. Don't blame yourself. That's what happens…" Ben shrugged nonchalantly, though his eyes held a new warmth of acceptance as he watched Liz gaze unguardedly at the man who still held her heart in the palm of his hand. "…when two guys love the same girl."

Waving off his attempt to add levity to the situation, Liz's shoulders squared as she turned back to him. "Tell me what happened."

"Liz…"

The sound of Max's weak voice instantly captured Liz's full attention. Heart swelling with concern, she held his hand against her heart and smiled down at him as her fingers lightly brushed through his hair. "Yes, sweetie? I'm right here."

"You're…so beautiful, Liz." Max continued as he stubbornly pulled his hand from Liz's grasp and reached up to touch her face. "So…beautiful." He attempted a smile, but it weakened in pain. "I fought…fought hard for you. Just like…you wanted. Can we do it now? Can we…go back…back to rainbows and gardens? Can we…finally be together?"

"Oh, Max…" Tears began to gather in her eyes.

Max continued, his pain making it difficult to speak. "I still…still love you, you know. Love you more…more than anyone…ever could. I'm…sorry…so sorry not who…who you want…have tried…so hard…"

"Oh, no, Max, no. I've never wanted anyone but you." Gently caressing his face, Liz leaned forward her whispered confession barely discernable. "And I never will."

"Promise…"

"Of course, I promise, Max."

"No…promise…"

"Promise what, Max?" Liz leaned closer to better understand his slurred words. "What do you want me to promise?"

"Promise me…" Max took a ragged breath. "…that you won't…won't marry him."

Confusion narrowed Liz's eyes. "Marry who, Max?"

As Max's eyes drifted closed and his chest rose and fell with a deep breath, Ben cleared his throat drawing Liz's attention. Raising a finger, his expression contained her answer. "Uh…I think that would be me."

"But…"

Expression sobering, Ben's blue eyes shifted from Max to met her inquiring gaze. His voice lowered meaningfully. "Liz, he knows."

"What? How?" Swallowing hard, her question was broken and soft. "Did you…did you say something to him?"

"No, Liz." Ben shook his head. "You did." He paused. "He overheard us that night. He knows everything."

Silence filled the room as the weight of Ben's revelation fell squarely on Liz's shoulders. Her heart constricted in anguish as the memory of that night crashed down on her. The battle. The sacrifices. The lives put in jeopardy. Then there had been her conversation with Ben. The doubts voiced. The fear expressed. The agony and distress that permeated every fiber of her being.

The force of each emotion was so intense it was still palpable a full two years later.

Horror edged her raspy one-word question. "How?"

"Open window." Ben explained. "He was outside taking a walk and…" Shrugging, Ben left the sentence dangle.

Expression registering utter dismay, Liz sought Ben's advice with a plea in her eyes. "God, Ben…what do I do now?"

Ben shrugged. "I don't know, Liz. But whatever you do, you'll have to do it alone. You and I both know I can't be part of this any more."

Liz swallowed hard as an irrational fear gripped her heart. "I know."

"And if you do move back to Boston…" His eyes met hers with conviction. "…things are going to be really different. They have to be. For all of our sakes." He paused to let his words sink in. "Look…" Ben eased himself from his chair. "…I need to get going. I have some fences of my own to mend."

A stunned Liz's silent agreement was rendered with a nod.

As Ben headed toward the door, Liz was suddenly struck with the implication of his actions. His words. The discussion they'd had only the night before. This was the end. Of an era. An understanding. A relationship.

"Ben! Wait!" Scrambling to her feet, Liz called out to Ben halting his departure. Nearly knocked backward when Liz threw herself into his arms, Ben instantly groaned in pain. "Oh! I'm so sorry!" Liz pulled back quickly.

Her guilty, concerned expression prompted a chuckle, which was quickly followed by a sharp intake of breath. Glancing down, Ben gingerly rubbed his side. "Guess I forgot about that right jab of his. Powerful enough to knock the breath out of a guy. Or crack a rib." The teasing tilt of his lips contradicted his stern tone. "Tell me…is that some kind of alien strength thing he's got going on or does he work out 24/7?"

Choked up by the sudden tears bubbling in Liz's eyes, she silently stared at Ben unable to say a word. She opened her mouth to speak, managing to only release a tear down the side of her face.

"I know, Liz." Ben reached out and placed a gentle hand on her shoulder, his voice soft and understanding. "I know."

Swallowing back a lump of emotion, Liz blinked back her tears. "Ben, I don't know how to…" She took a ragged breath. "I'll never be able to thank…"

Ben placed a stilling finger against her lips before moving to wipe away another wayward tear. His eyes met hers with his own well of deep emotions. "Don't, ok? Don't cheapen what we have between us by trying to…" Shaking his head, his blue eyes began to shine with an unexpected film of tears. "…just don't."

"I love you, Ben." Liz's soft confession was barely audible.

An understanding, bittersweet smile touched Ben's lips. "And I love you, Lizzie. I'll always love you…"

Half a room away, the rest of the conversation was lost to a dazed Max Evans as a fresh wave of intense pain ripped his heart to shreds…
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
She recognized him through the peephole. Though his back was turned and his head bent, it could be no one else. Not with that mop of wavy blonde hair and those broad shoulders. No, she would recognize those shoulders anywhere.

After a moment's hesitation, she pulled back, squared her shoulders for battle and opened the door only as far as the chain would allow.

"Ben? What are you doing here?" Her sigh of irritation turned to shock when he turned to face the semi-opened door. "Oh, my God." The door slammed shut unexpectedly and Ben could hear the chain rattle against the wooden door before the handle turned and he finally stood face to face with the girl he promised himself never to see again. She took a step toward a bloody, bruised and a wincing Ben Reynolds. "What happened to you?"

Tess Harding's question of immediate concern was met with an answer full of sarcasm. "Would you believe the floor attacked me?"

Tess' eyebrow shot up as she unconsciously pursed her lips. Crossing her arms in front of her, Tess immediately recognized the anticipated conclusion of an emotional storm that had been brewing for the past year and a half. "Only if the floor has a name that rhymes with Max Evans."

"No." Ben winced as he shook his head. "No, that would be the thoughtful friend who introduced me **to** the floor, you know, **before** the floor decided I needed a new look."

Tess rolled her big blue eyes and Ben couldn't help but notice how her lips turned downward into an adorable little pout. "You need to find new friends."

"Why do you think I'm here?" Holding a blood-stained handkerchief against his lip, Ben attempted an explanation. "Look, I know after what happened last night…what I said…"

Convinced his injuries weren't life threatening, Tess actually took comfort in his snappy retorts. She had no idea how she'd handle him if he truly were vulnerable. At least with **this** Ben she could maintain the wall that would keep her heart protected from inevitable pain. Standing her ground, her chin raised in defiance. "Why me? Why not go to your precious Liz?" The sarcasm filling every syllable was palpable. "I'm sure she'd be more than willing to wipe your fevered brow."

"I did go to Liz. To deposit the equally battered love of her life on her couch. Then I left. And I left, Tess, because…" Gaze lowered, Ben's sigh was weary and dejected. "…because you and I both know that's not where I belong." Shifting from one foot to the other, Ben glanced through the slightly opened door into the spacious apartment just over Tess' shoulder. "So, do I get to come in or are you going to make me stand out here and bleed in the hall the rest of the night?"

His unveiled suggestion snapped Tess into action, though her heart and mind were still mulling over his latest confession. Opening the door with a silent flourish, she stepped aside. "As usual…" Waving toward the living room, Tess closed the door. "…make yourself at home."

Following Ben slowly, Tess slipped onto the coffee table opposite Ben's favorite chair. Leaning forward, she gently pulled Ben's hand from his lip, removing the stained handkerchief. "Wow. He really did a number on you."

"What do you expect with all that intense emotion bottled up in the form of a seriously repressed Max Evans?" Ben shrugged. "It was bound to blow at some point, ya know? Just happened to be this weekend." A comment was added softly, deliberately. "Along with a few other things that I regret very much."

Acutely aware of Ben's intense gaze, Tess ignored his comment and forced herself to take inventory of his injuries. "Split lip. Bloody nose. Cut above the eye. Not to mention the lovely bruise that's already forming."

"Yeah, but you should see the other guy." Ben quipped prompting a faint smile from Tess.

Running her hand gently over each injured area, Tess let out a weary sigh as she felt the healing powers flow from her hand into Ben's system. She didn't stop till Ben's handsome face was visible once more. "There." For the first time, her eyes met his. Her voice was barely above a whisper. "Good as new."

"Thank you." The gratitude in his voice was an acknowledgement of something so much deeper that Tess would allow. Swallowing hard at the plea in his eyes, she forced herself to break contact. Her hand slipped from his face only to be captured. Ben's voice was low and full of emotion. "Tess, please…"

Pulling her hand from his, her gaze lowered as she slipped from the table attempting to put as much distance between them as possible. Crossing the room, she busied herself with clearing her desk of unwanted clutter. "Do I even have to ask what this fight was about?"

Watching her, Ben felt a pang of regret shoot through his heart. "No, I'm sure you don’t. You've probably seen it coming for a while now. Especially since it's just a different variation of the same recurring theme."

"Let me guess…" Tess pursed her lips in mock thought, her tone full of disdain. "…Liz can't convince the estranged and wayward love of her life that moving to Boston is the best for their family so she called her knight in shining armor to come rescue her from the big, bad Max Evans. Am I right?" Without waiting for an answer, Tess surprised him when she turned to him with a sudden question. "Tell me, Ben…what in God's name were you thinking?"

Ben blinked at the obvious venom aimed in his direction. "What…what's that supposed to mean?"

Disgust slipped through Tess' words. "Did you really think it was such a good idea to come here and tell Max that, whether he likes it or not, you're taking the woman he loves and his son back to Boston to live with you?" A permanent frown creased her brow as she crossed her arms in front of her. "As far as I'm concerned, you deserve the bloody nose."

"That is not the plan at all." Irritation flashed in Ben's eyes. "And for your information, I didn't make this trip to get in the middle of Liz and Max's never ending debate about whether to be or not to be, ok? I came here for one reason and one reason only." His tone hardened. "I guess we both know how **that** turned out."

Shrugging his concession, Ben continued. "So, yes, after I left you last night, I stopped to see Liz and yes, Liz did tell me about Max not wanting to move. And do you know why? Do you have any idea what his big objection is?" Ben paused long enough to receive a shrug of indifference in answer. "Because it's where I live. That's it. There's no other reason. Not his job. Not his friends. Not even because he thinks it would be a bad move." Anger and frustration clenched his jaws. "The idiot is holding them back because of me. Now, how's that for logic?"

"So, you…what?" Tess queried, her voice tightening with accusation. "Confronted him and proved every last doubt of his to be true? He can't even make a life-altering decision without you sticking your nose in his business. Do you really think he wants to move so close to you that you'll be picking out his underwear?"

"Oh, don't be ridiculous." Rolling his eyes, Ben let out a sigh of frustration. "Look, the only reason I tried to talk to him was because I thought Liz needed me to. You know, to let him know I'm not part of the equation. Not any more."

"And given the results…did she?" Ignoring Ben's comment, Tess pressed him, indicating his no-longer-damaged face. "Need you, that is?"

Ben's lips tightened as his gaze shifted guiltily. "No."

Shaking her head, Tess' rolled her eyes. "You're unbelievable."

"What?" His gaze snapped back to meet hers.

"God, don’t you get it, Ben? Why do you do things like this?" Long held frustration bubbled to the surface. "You know, it burns him enough knowing she was engaged to you. He loathes the fact she still depends on you. The very possibility that you and Liz could even remotely get together at any point in the near or distant future is an idea so repulsive to him that he physically gets ill. Did you know that?" Her electric blue gaze pierced as sharply as her accusations. "Do you really have to throw it in his face every chance you get?"

"Is that what you think I’m doing?" Incredulous at the thought, Ben's voice registered sincere shock.

"Yeah." Tess nodded emphatically and turned her back on him. "Yeah, I guess I do."

"Well, then, you don't know me as well as you think you do." The hurt in his voice was evident.

Her head snapped up. "No?"

"No." Ben answered emphatically.

"Well, I do know one thing for sure…" Tess nodded and forced a smile as she turned to face him. "…whoever said blondes have more fun never met Liz Parker and her overly protective, dueling men."

"Tess…"

"Ben, you need to leave." Tess stated abruptly as she tossed a packet of papers back on her desk. "I've done all I can do for you."

Ben's response was just as abrupt. "Liz knows about us."

Tess' head snapped up her and eyes widened. "What? How?"

"Apparently we're not as good at hiding as we thought." Shrugging slightly, a bittersweet smile touched Ben's lips. "After our blow up last night, I wasn't in the best of moods, to say the least. Liz took one look at me and knew something major had happened between us."

"Wait." Holding up her hand, Tess took a few steps toward Ben. "Are you telling me that she knew about us before you told her?"

Nodding, Ben leaned forward clasping his hands in front of him and leaning his elbows on his knees. "She didn't know details like how long and to what lengths we've gone to be together, but yeah, she figured it out a while ago. In fact, her first question to me was 'What did you do to break Tess' heart this time?'"

"To which you answered…" Tess prompted softly.

"I told her that…" Shaking his head, Ben let out a sigh as his gaze met hers. "…I'm a complete idiot. That I'd really screwed up this time and there was probably very little chance of you ever talking to me again let alone giving me a chance to tell you exactly what I feel…"

"And what is that, exactly?" Tess swallowed hard at the plea in Ben's aquamarine eyes. "Go on, Ben. I'm listening."

Taking full advantage of the sudden opportunity, Ben rose and crossed over to Tess. Taking her hands in his he led her to the couch and eased her down before sitting next to her. Taking a deep breath, he released it slowly as his eyes met hers. "You think I do the things I do for Liz because I love her. And you're right. I do love her. I always will." Ben gently squeezed Tess' hands as he swallowed back a lump of emotion that rose in his throat. "But I'm not in love with her, Tess. Not by a long shot."

"You're…not?"

"No, I'm not. How could I be in love with Liz…" Taking Tess' face in his hands, Ben's eyes misted with tears. "…when you're the one who owns my heart?" Taking Tess' silence and the tears beginning to build in her eyes as a good sign, Ben plunged ahead. "Tess, I love you. I have for a while now. What we have together…it's so much more than a casual fling to me. You've become my best friend. The connection I have with you is…well, it's the most real thing I've ever known. And it's not going away. Ever. I want to be with you, Tess. Not just on weekends or secret rendezvous. I want to be with you all the time."

"But Liz…"

"Is my friend." Ben finished for her. "I love her as a friend and I want to see her happy. Hell, I even want to see her with Max, of all people." His lips quirked upward in a self-depreciating smile. "Which should be proof in and of itself that what I'm saying is true." Ben paused as his eyes grew stormy. "On the other hand…the very idea of you being with anyone else, Tess…it…it drives me insane. God, if you knew how many times I've laid awake at night and wondered where you were, what you were doing, who you were with…"

Gaze lowering and jaws tightening, a look of utter disgust swept over his chiseled features. "And when Max opened your door yesterday with nothing on but a towel…"

"Ben, I swear to you, he was just getting ready for work. It was all completely innocent." Tess jumped in to explain. "He really needed someone to be with him last night. You see, he lost a patient. On top of that, he and Liz have been up all hours of the night with Noah and it doesn't help that they've been arguing non-stop about moving to Boston. He was so stressed out and tired he literally stumbled through my door. I honestly don't think he could have made it home. Neither did his crew. They tried to call Liz, but she wasn't home…which is why they brought him here. He just needed a place to crash. And he did just that…on my couch." Gathering Ben's hands in hers, the plea in her eyes to be believed was obvious. "Absolutely nothing happened, Ben."

"I know that. Now." A self-depreciating chuckle escaped as Ben shook his head. "Hell, I even knew it then. Which only proves my point." Pausing to push a strand of hair back from Tess' face, a bittersweet smile touched Ben's lips. "Don’t you see? It didn't matter what my head knew…my heart…Tess, my heart doesn’t want to share you with anyone else. I go insane with jealousy at the very idea of another man being that close to you."

"Oh, Ben…"

Taking a deep breath, Ben gambled his entire future on a suggestion. "Move to Boston with me."

Tess blinked in shock. "What?"

Nodding his reassurance, Ben continued. "I mean it, Tess."

"You…you want me to move in with you?"

"Yes." Ben's hasty answer was retracted quickly when he saw the frown creasing Tess' brow. "Or…not. Whatever you want. Move in with me, get your own place. I really don’t care as long as we're in the same city, where I can see you every day, be with you every night and we can have an honest to God relationship for the entire world to see."

A tear slipped down the side of Tess' cheek unnoticed. "You mean…no more sneaking around all the time? No more making up excuses to see each other? No more lying to everyone we love?"

"No." Ben shook his head as a smile began to spread over his expression. "Oh, sweetheart…aren't you getting tired of it all? I know I am. And as much as I love Liz and Noah, you are the one I come to New York to see. And I'm sorry for having ever made you think anything different. You have no idea just how sorry I am. Truth is, they're just an excuse to be in the same city with you. To breathe the same air…"

Tess' expression lost all joy the moment Ben mentioned Liz's name. Her pained, uncertain gaze lowered as she pulled her hands from Ben's grasp. "Ben…what about…Liz?"

Confusion raced through Ben's eyes. "What about her? I've already told you I don't love her. Not that way. There's nothing between us anymore, Tess…"

Blue eyes snapping upward to meet his, Tess silenced him with a look. "What about your promise to her? It is the whole reason we've not been free to be together, isn't it?"

"What?" The breath flew out of his lungs. "How…how did you know about…?"

A bittersweet smile touched Tess' lips as she reached up and gently caressed his face. "You're always so very open to me…when we make love."

Ben's eyes drifted closed as realization hit him. "You saw, didn't you? In a flash."

Tess nodded when his eyes met hers. "Ben, how can you want a future with me when your future is clearly with…"

Ben placed a silencing finger against her lips as his eyes warmed with love. "She released me from my promise, Tess. Last night. We had a heart-to-heart and laid everything out on the line. Truth is, she was as eager to let me go as I was for her to let me. I'm free now to choose my own future…and that future…is you."

"But…" Still unconvinced, Tess eyes clouded with doubt. "…but she hates me. Why would she let you go…"

"She doesn't hate you, Tess. And even if she did…" A gentle smile drifted over his expression. "…she loves me more. She wants me to be happy. And you…" Cupping her face in his hands, Ben's smile deepened. "…my beautiful, blue-eyed friend…you make me happy."

"You make me happy too." Tess whispered. As she gazed into his eyes, a slow, responding smile began to spread over her face. "So, I guess the only thing left is…"

Ben flashed her a grin. "…your answer." Swallowing hard, Ben's expression sobered. "What do you say? Move to Boston? Let me love you 24/7?"

Languidly wrapping her arms around Ben's neck, Tess bit her lower lip nervously. "On one condition."

"Anything."

She swallowed hard. "Marry me."

Ben's eyes grew large. "What?"

Uncertainty settled over Tess' expression. "Unless you don't want to. Or you think it's too soon."

"Too soon?" Ben's voice nearly jumped an octave as he pulled back from her in his excitement. "The only reason I didn't ask you is because I thought you'd think it was too soon!"

A smile returned to Tess' face in full force. "Really?"

Nodding, Ben was literally beaming with love and happiness.

"So, I guess your answer would be…" Tess prompted coyly.

Laughter bubbled up inside him. "Yes! Yes! Always and forever…yes!"

Grabbing Tess in a fierce hug, Ben threw back his head and joined her laughter before his radiant smile met hers. Their 'I love you' were as heart-felt as the kiss that followed them both into the night.

Tbc….
Ashton
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Chapter 23 NEW

Post by Ashton »

Hey all!

I know this isn't the story ya'll want updates on, but I am trying to get this finished so I can move on. Hope you'll bear with me on this. Also, hopefully the flashback on this will answer some of the questions ya'll have had about why M/L have been separated for so long. Please let me know what you think and I hope you enjoy! As always, thanks for your wonderful support!!

Hugs,
Ashton
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~ chapter 23 ~

Three months later…

"Hey hon…" Ben raised his voice to carry into the room where his better half had retired earlier in search of her most recently purchased wedding magazines. "…do you think it'd be too weird to have a woman as my best man? I mean…I wouldn't have to call her 'best man', I guess…" Marking out 'man' and pausing in thought a moment before writing an alternative word on his notepad, Ben mumbled to himself. "Maybe 'best person' would work…"

Oblivious to his speculative question, Tess Harding emerged from her bedroom holding a phone in one hand while balancing a large pile of magazines against her hip. "Ben. Did you see Liz today?"

"Yeah. This morning. Why?" Jotting down a few additional notes, Ben's answer was distracted, his question more of a polite filler than an actual quest for information.

"Because that was Alex on the phone." Shifting the magazines into the crook of her arm, Tess advanced into the living room of their two-bedroom Bostonian apartment. She headed straight to the kitchen. The magazines dropped with a relieved plop onto an island that allowed Tess a perfect view into the living room. Grabbing a notepad and placing it on top of the magazines, she then began searching for a working pen in a nearby drawer. "He says he just got off the phone with Max and he's pretty freaked out right now."

"So what's new about that?" The sarcasm edging his voice underscored the still sometimes tense relations between the two most important adult men in Liz Parker's life.

"Ben, be serious." Tess warned as she replaced the phone on the handset before relenting. "Look, I know Max can be a bit…"

"…over-protective, suspicious, possessive…" Ben interrupted with a string of unflattering adjectives that had been piling up in the back of his mind since meeting Max Evans.

"Cautious." Tess corrected with an upraised eyebrow as she crossed her arms in front of her and paused to face her soon-to-be-husband. "Honey…after all he's been through with Liz and Noah, can you really blame him? He almost lost them both to Nasedo. Twice."

Receiving a skeptically upraised eyebrow from her fiancé in response as he silently continued to tick items off of a list, Tess sighed and rolled her large blue eyes. Deciding not to pursue her usual argument in the one and only issue of contention between them, Tess focused on the question at hand. "The point is…he's slightly freaked because he can't find them anywhere."

She grabbed a cup and began to pour coffee for herself. "Apparently he went to Liz's after work and she wasn't there. There was nothing on her schedule and she hadn't left him any messages, which is completely not like Liz. You know how they talk to each other a million times a day. I swear, they coordinate their schedules with the precision of a drill sergeant." Tess paused to add a bit of Tabasco sauce to the black liquid swimming in her cup before taking a sip. "Did she say anything to you about going anywhere today?"

Ben shook his golden head. "Nope."

"Well, do you have any ideas where she could have gone?" Tess pressed.

"I'm no longer privy to every detail of Liz's life, Tess." Ben remarked casually as he tucked his pencil behind his ear, determined to switch gears from his upcoming wedding to get some actual work done before the weekend was over. Although, given the latest call from Alex, he doubted he'd get anything done at all now that a particular ball was apparently rolling and would only gain speed as the hours passed. "A fact for which I thought you'd be happy, being my darling fiancée and all…"

"You're impossible, you know it?" The lovingly toned rebuke brought a hint of a smile to Ben's lips as he flipped his notebook closed. That same smile disappeared with Tess' next measured statement. "After all this time, she still relies on you. Trusts you the most. You know that, don't you? I mean, if there's something going on with her…you'd be the first to know…"

Tossing the notepad with wedding plans to the side, Ben pursed his lips and leaned forward, beginning an earnest search for long over-due paperwork under a pile of material swatches and haphazard bouquet photos. "Yeah, well, a lot has changed."

"Meaning?" Tess prompted.

"Meaning…" Ben responded evenly. "…she didn't tell me this time, and I haven't a clue where she is."

Letting out a sigh of frustration, he began to clear the table of anything unrelated to his latest case. Thoroughly aware that his next statement could cause a sensation with his better half, Ben chose his words carefully. "Unless, of course, she took Noah for a walk in the park to consider her options."

Perceptive to a fault, Tess appeared in the doorway in the blink of an eye. "Her options?" Blue eyes narrowing, Tess' gaze grew instantly suspicious. "Ben? What did you do?"

"Oh, I don't know…" Shrugging his broad shoulders, Ben's concentration seemed to be focused on the chaos in front of him instead of the all important issue of their friend's whereabouts. "I might have mentioned something about how much Max hates it here in Boston and how he's considering a move to Las Vegas to broaden his horizons."

"But…" Eyes narrowing in confusion, Tess' curls bounced with the shaking of her head. "…he loves it here in Boston. Besides, Las Vegas is the last place Max would ever..." Her protest halted abruptly when she saw Ben's expression suspiciously change. Her finishing word was weak and trailing. "…move..."

Ben smirked. "I know."

Mouth dropping open, Tess blinked in shock. "Are you…are you telling me that you lied to Liz Parker today?"

"I wouldn't call it lying, per se." Head snapping upward, Ben's aquamarine eyes began to sparkle with mischief. "I like to think of it as presenting all the facts of her case then offering alternative outcomes of various choices, all in order to bring about a desired verdict."

"And that desired verdict would be?" Tess prompted, barely controlled excitement edging her voice.

"Why…" Ben's admission was said with all the nonchalance he could muster. "… the undeniable fact that Max and Liz belong together, of course."

A bright smile began to spread from Tess' full lips to her sparkling cornflower eyes. "You lied." The two-word accusation was anything but, as evidenced by her next pronouncement as she flew across the room and gave Ben an impulsive hug. "Honey, I'm so proud of you."

Rolling his eyes with a chuckle, Ben gave Tess a quick squeeze before sinking back into the couch. Tess immediately plopped down next to him and crossed her legs Indian style as she turned to him with eager eyes. "Details. I want to know everything. Starting with when you decided to start lying to one of your best friends."

"Apparently it's required when playing Cupid." Ben shrugged. "At least it is when the couple you're trying to unite is one very stubborn Liz Parker and an equally foolish Max Evans."

"You? Playing Cupid?" Raising an accusing finger, Tess tilted her head giving her fiancé' a pointed look. "Last I remember, you were completely opposed to matchmaking. In fact, as I recall, Maria and I spent the better part of an evening not too long ago being lectured by you, of all people, on the various evils of said craft."

"Well, of course, I was against it." Placing his arm on the back of the sofa, Ben turned to Tess with a disapproving look. "You know how much I detest manipulating people. And there has simply been too much of that in this particular situation as is. Why add insult to injury by manipulating Max and Liz all over again?"

"But…" Tess prompted, sensing there was more to Ben's reasoning.

"But…" Ben conceded with a tilt of his head. "…then I thought about how all this started with Max and Liz, you and me. And I came to the undeniable conclusion that if Maria and Michael hadn't taken the initiative to get Max and Liz back together in the first place, I wouldn't have met the undisputed love of my life." His smile deepened. "I hate to think where I'd be right now if I'd never met you."

Tess accepted his heartfelt admission with a smile and choked back a reality that would always exist between them. Instead of focusing on what might have been, Tess concentrated on the hoped-for future. "Well, then…why were you against the plan Maria and I came up with to get them moving in the right direction?"

"Tess." A blonde eyebrow rose knowingly. "What the two of you had planned would have bombed big time." With a gasp of shock, Tess opened her mouth to protest. Ben stopped her cold. "Don't even pretend to not know what I'm talking about. The very idea of Max being interested in anyone but Liz is a joke. Liz would have seen through it in a heartbeat."

"Yeah, well…that was Maria's idea." Shrugging her shoulders, Tess' gaze lowered. "After the way Liz reacted to me, it was a fair guess that she'd be equally jealous of another woman in Max's life."

"You know, sweetie…" Hesitation furrowed Ben's brow as he proposed a thought previously unspoken. "…I don't believe Liz was jealous of you as much as she was his alien bride."

"But I was his alien bride." Tess asserted quietly.

"That's what you were both told." Ben held up a protesting finger. "By a pathological liar, I might add. The facts are that neither of you remember each other. Neither of you remember your so-called great love on Antar. And neither of you have ever been drawn to each other as anything but friends." Ben's conclusion was a plain as the blue in Tess' eyes. "I think at this point, it's pretty safe to say your 'marriage' to Max on Antar was another one of Nasedo's delusional fabrications. In fact, it ranks right up there with Liz dying if Max touched her and you dying if he didn't."

"You're probably right." Tess nodded in agreement as a content smile slipped over her expression. "Besides…I simply can't imagine being married to anyone else…but you."

Ben entwined their fingers with a deep smile of love, his words bearing so much more weight than either of them wanted to admit. "Neither can I."

Expression sobering, Ben continued his original thought, his words were slow and thoughtfully chosen. "Given the belief at the time, though…I think that it was what Liz thought she couldn't give Max that hurt her so much all those years. I mean, the very idea that there could be another woman in the world that would make Max feel the way he'd made her feel so many times…that he could be so deeply, powerfully connected to someone besides her…**that's** what drove her insane with jealousy. Not you."

"Maybe so." Conceding the point after a moment of silent contemplation, Tess shrugged her slender shoulders. "But either way, I wanted to help bring them back together and Maria's idea was the best we could come up with."

"Why?"

Tess' expression clouded with confusion at Ben's unexpected question. "Why what?"

Lightly, absently, playing with Tess' curls, Ben's eyes narrowed reflectively. "Why did you want to help so much? I mean…a couple of months ago you resented her just as much as she resented you. So, why the sudden change?"

"Because I owe her." The straightforward answer was softly spoken. She was suddenly, inexplicably, concerned with an imaginary spot on the sofa cushion beneath her.

"How?" The tone of Tess' voice instantly capture Ben's full attention. "I mean, I know you've felt guilty for their break up but…it wasn't really your fault. And whatever part you did play, they've both forgiven you for it."

"I know. And I'm grateful for that." Shifting to tuck her legs beneath her, Tess let out a sigh as her gaze remained averted from Ben's face. "But that's not why I owe her."

Sensing a subtle shift in Tess' mood, Ben pressed gently. "Then why?"

Tess paused, weighing the consequences of bringing up a subject they'd spoken of only once. The night she'd proposed, the secret that Ben had been keeping for two long years came tumbling out. Though Tess had previously put the outline of the story together through bits and pieces of visions she'd seen, it wasn't until Ben explained everything in full detail that the strength of Ben's devotion to Liz was revealed. Not to mention just how far Liz was willing to go to protect herself and her son.

The secret to Max and Liz's continued separation was relayed to Tess that night in the details of a private conversation. And in the telling, the reasoning behind so many perplexing decisions suddenly became crystal clear. While the rest of the group still remained in frustrated ignorance, Tess became privy to the exact reasons why Liz still kept Max at arm's length.

Even now.

It was true that rising tension between them had broken since they moved back to Boston. And when it came to Noah, Max and Liz were of one heart and mind. He was their world. The center of their universe. Loved, adored and doted upon without reservation, Noah Evans was the gravity they both clung to in their upside down world. As past choices and paralyzing fear contributed heavily to the imbalance of their circumstances, Max and Liz settled for what was comfortable. For what was safe. For what was second best…

Two years and three months earlier…

Before they knew it, the five other occupants of the room were on the other side of the door. Head hung low, Max was the first to spin around when they heard the door open behind them a mere seconds later. His eyes lit up hopefully at the sight of Liz standing in the door of the room they'd just vacated. Eyes downcast, her voice shook with an uncertain whisper. "I need…I need to talk to you."

Max took an eager step forward.

Liz's eyes cut upward to meet his. "No. Not you." Her gaze shifted to just over Max's shoulder. "Ben. Please. I need you…"

Closing the door softly behind him, Ben paused to take in the scene before him. He swallowed hard at the sight. He'd never seen Liz Parker so panicked before. So distraught. Her dark eyes, usually so full of life, were now fathomless black holes in an abnormally pale and gaunt face. He could practically taste the confusion and fear hanging like heavy drops of rain in the room.

Taking a hesitant step toward a frantically pacing Liz, Ben attempted calmness. He feared he failed as he vaguely heard his own voice shake with concern. "Lizzie, what is it? What's wrong?"

Liz abruptly stopped her pacing and spun toward him. She clasped her fidgety fingers in front of her as her eyes began to shimmer with tears. "I need to ask you something. And I need you to be honest. Brutally honest."

"Alright..." Unsure of what to expect, Ben's breath tightened in his chest.

Her eyes met his so full of doubts and fears. A universe of questions were racing through Ben's mind. Questions she could pose. Questions to which he had no answers. None matched the question that fell from her trembling lips. "Would you do it all over again? If…if you'd known then what you know now…about Max, about our past, our connection…our son…about how you and I would break up because of it all…" Liz paused to take a ragged breath. "Ben, would you…would you have still asked me to marry you?"

Taken back, Ben blinked at the question. "Lizzie…where is this coming from?"

"Oh, God, Ben…" Sinking onto the bed, Liz's chest hitched with an unreleased sob. "I don't think…I don’t think I can do this."

"Do what?" Ben took a few steps closer as fingers of dread began to wrap around his heart.

"I don't think…" Liz's bent head began to shake as her voice trembled with tears. "…I can…have this baby."

Ben stopped abruptly. His voice was incredulous. His eyes, wide with shock. "What? Are you kidding me?"

Dropping her head into her hands, Liz's words were barely discernable behind the muffled sobs. "I wish…I was. God, how I…how I wish…I was."

In stunned silence, Ben sank down in the chair next to the bed as the impact of Liz's confession hit him full force. Not have her own child? The very child they'd all faced death for? The son that she'd wanted so very much only hours before? The one that had haunted her for the past seven years? How could that even be possible?

Liz's tears snapped Ben out of his reverie.

His gaze instantly softened with compassion. Leaning forward, Ben took her hands from her face and lifted her chin till his eyes met hers in inquisition. "Liz…what's this all about? I thought…" He paused to wipe a stray tear from her face. "…sweetie, you were so excited about this. I've never seen you so…complete, so happy…as when you and Max were talking about seeing your son." Engulfing her tiny hands in his, Ben's prompt was gentle and comforting. "Now, something must have happened to make you doubt…"

"Yes. Something did happen." Body wracked with a final sob, Liz swallowed a lump as she angrily swiped tell-tale tears from her face. "My son fought our enemy and saved all of our lives."

"O.K." Ben's blue eyes narrowed with confusion. "The destruction of evil and a major score for the good guys is usually a cause for celebration. So, the problem is…"

Liz's voice hardened with condemnation and her eyes flashed with anger. "It should have been his father."

"What?" Ben blinked his surprise.

"It should have been Max." A rod of defiance straightened Liz's back. "He should have been the one standing up to Nasedo and fighting him with all his strength." The razor-sharp edge of her words was tipped with a fresh bitterness. "But he didn't do that, Ben. He folded. At the first sign of trouble, he thew up his hands and surrendered."

"Liz…"

"I'm so afraid, Ben." Her bottom lip began to tremble. Her eyes darkened to the fathomless depths of despair.

"Lizzie, you have nothing to be afraid of." Attempting to sound much more confident than he felt, Ben fought back the desire to wrap her in his arms and take all of her pain away. Close on the heels of that desire was the overwhelming impulse to make Max suffer for what he was putting Liz through. He rejected both urges in favor of helping the woman he loved struggle through the toughest decision of her life. "I mean, if what I saw earlier is any indication how you'll handle this pregnancy, you're going to come through it with flying colors…"

Agitated, Liz jumped from the bed interrupting Ben's attempt to reassure. "That's not what I'm afraid of."

Silence ruled the room as Ben watched Liz flee to the window. Standing with her back to him, she gazed up at the night sky just the way she'd done so many times in the past. Arms crossed in defiance, insecurity, pain. Lost in her own world of memories. Searching for answers beyond her reach. Seeking for something…someone…in the vast expanse of stars above.

Of course, Ben now knew who she had been looking for all that time.

Letting out a sigh that echoed the growing ache in his heart, Ben swallowed back any defiant hope of a reconciliation that threatened to spring up in his heart. Yes, she was terrified. She was clearly doubting every last decision she had ever made. And, yes, she was beyond angry with Max. But she was also still so very much in love with him. If she weren't, she wouldn't be so destroyed right this very moment.

Ben could not lose sight of that. No matter what. "Lizzie, talk to me. What is it? What is it you're so afraid of?"

When Liz spoke, her words were soft and deliberate. "I'm all alone, Ben."

Instinctive desire to reassure and protect surged to the top of the chaotic emotions churning in the pit of his stomach. "Liz, that's crazy. You have Max…"

Bowing her head, Liz shook her head as her eyes drifted closed in pained acceptance. She looked so small and vulnerable. So frail. So damaged. "I don't have anyone."

Ben stood and approached her. His voice was low and comforting when he placed his hands gently on her shoulders. "You can't mean that."

"I do." She slowly, deliberately turned to face Ben. It was as if that action alone would force her to face her greatest fear. He nearly crumbled under the intensity of her shattered gaze. "The only reason you're here now discussing this with me instead of Max is because he walked away from me back in high school. You do know that, don't you?"

Regret filled Liz's eyes as she confessed an obvious truth neither of them could deny. "Ben, you and I would have never been more than friends if Max had only stayed true to our vows. Had he been in my life when we met, I would have never given you a second look." Bubbles of tears wet her eyes as her gaze shifted from the pain that flashed through Ben's eyes. "I'm so sorry, Ben. I'm sorry, but you know it's true."

Eyes drifting closed as a wave of nausea swept over her, Liz's voice was grave with condemnation. "We could have all been spared so much pain, if only he hadn't listened to Nasedo, if he hadn't been so willing to give up…"

"He thought you were dying, Liz." Despite the sting of Liz's words, Ben thought and responded like a lawyer. Laying out his case. Pointing out evidence. Making an argument. "He thought the only way to save you was to let you go."

"Well, he was wrong." Liz shot back as her eyes flared with indignation. "Just like he was wrong tonight. Nasedo barely pressured him and he went down like a house of cards. He was willing to go back to his home planet with Nasedo, to be some grand pseudo-king…"

"To save your life. To save Noah." Continuing an argument he couldn't deny no matter how much he wanted to, Ben began to plead Max's case in spite of himself. "Liz, that man loves you so much he'd do anything for you...even die if he has to."

"I don't want him to die, Ben!" Liz exploded before brushing past Ben. "God, don't you get it? I don't want him to sacrifice anymore." She spun to face him. "I don't want him to love me so much that he'll walk away to keep me safe."

Turning to face her, Ben threw out his hands in frustration. "Then what do you want, Liz? Because I can assure you he **does** love you enough to do just that. He's already proven it. And frankly, I can't say I blame him after everything I've seen tonight." Hands landing on his hips with a sigh of emphasis. "So, please explain exactly what you do want from Max, Liz, because until you figure it out, your son will be stuck in cosmic limbo."

Shoulders squared, Liz's voice shook with convicted emotion. "I want him to love me enough to stand by my side and fight whatever it is that comes our way, Ben. To trust me to be everything he needs me to be. I want him once…just once…to believe in me…" Gaze lowered, she bit back the one admission she couldn't voice without serious repercussions. …the way you do.

Unaware of her unspoken confession, Ben's voice was soft with inquiry. "And you don't think he'll do that?"

Sarcasm zipped through her answer as she crossed her arms protectively in front of her. "His track record up to this point hasn't been all that encouraging."

Ben took a step forward, attempting to appeal to Liz's logical side. "But Nasedo's gone now, Liz. The danger is over. There's nothing more to be afraid of."

"That we know of." Liz shot back, not unkindly. Swallowing hard, she crossed back over to the bed and sank down with a weary sigh. "What if I do this, Ben? What if I go through with having this baby and Max and I start a life together. What if five years down the road a new alien enemy appears on our doorstep threatening Noah or me or both?"

Her fathomless eyes met his in a candid plea. "After knowing how amazing it is to be a family…after experiencing the complete and utter delight of loving each other day in and day out…of having all of our dreams come true…do you honestly think Max will take the risk of losing us and fight or will he do whatever they ask just to keep us safe?"

Knowing the only honest answer he had was the last thing Liz needed to hear, Ben's gaze lowered.

"Exactly." Liz responded, reading the answer in his silence. "Don't you see? I cannot…I will not…allow myself to depend on him. Ever again."

"Liz…"

"I mean it, Ben." A sheen of tears brightened her eyes though her voice was as frigid as an iceberg. "I will not trust my future, the future of my son, to a coward like Max."

Ben's head snapped up. His expression was stunned. His voice, incredulous. "A coward? My God, Liz…" He crossed to the chair opposite Liz and plopped down with agitated emphasis. "…do you have any idea…**any** idea…what it takes to walk away from you?"

Gaze lowering, Liz tried to blink back threatening tears.

Ben continued mercilessly. "The strength. The courage. The utter selflessness required to give up the best thing that's ever touched you." Shaking his head, Ben's blue eyes shifted to misty green. "It was the hardest thing I've ever done in my life, Liz, and I didn't even do it for you."

Her eyes met his in disbelief.

"That's right." Words tumbling like a waterfall, Ben capitalized on having Liz's full attention. "I let you go, Liz. And I did it in such a way that you'll look back years from now and have a soft spot in your heart for the guy who set you free so you could really live."

A mocking smile touched his lips. "Truth is…I let you go because I saw the beginning of my end that first moment. Right in the dressing room. The way you looked into his eyes. God, that one look was so…" Searching for the right word, Ben's chest rose and fell with a frustrated sigh. "…volcanic. Profound. Permeating. I literally felt my heart shrivel in my chest, Liz. That's how powerful the two of you are together."

"Given the facts staring me in the face, what else could I do?" Shaking his head, Ben began to pace. "It was inevitable, you know. That you would come to me one day and tell me it was over." Waving away any unspoken protest, Ben's lips curved into a bittersweet smile. "Oh, you would pretend for a while. Try to forget how his touch felt. How his voice sounded when he whispered your name. How seeing him again made you come alive. But make no mistake, Liz, you would have ended it." Pacing stopped as Ben turned to face her with a hint of self-condemnation edging his voice. "So, I did what any self-respecting coward would do. I walked away before you got the chance."

"Ben…"

"No, I mean it, Liz." An emphatic finger pointed to Liz before hitting himself in the chest. "If you're going to call Max a coward, you'd better be prepared to call me one too. Because not only did I walk away before you could inflict serious damage…if at any time I was forced to make the choices Max has faced…I'd do exactly what he's done. No questions, Liz. I'd walk away in a heartbeat."

"But you haven't." Liz shot back, her dark eyes flashing with fire. "Don't you get it, Ben? That's why I need you more than anyone else right now. You haven't walked away. After everything that's happened tonight. Everything you've learned, what you've seen…you have every right to turn your back on me. You have every right to hate me. To want me to suffer for what I've done." There was a catch in her throat as her voice began to tremble. "But you're still here. Still believing in me. Still loving me…"

"Liz…"

Before Ben could voice another protest, Liz cut him off. "You didn't answer me. Before. When I asked…" The question went unfinished. "Ben, please. I need an answer."

The plea in her eyes broke him. Ben didn't hesitate. "Yes, Liz. Yes, I would have still asked you to marry me."

Liz's next request for comprehension was a breathless search for that intangible courage required to follow her heart. Maybe…just maybe…in Ben's answer she could find the answer to all the questions flooding her soul. To step out and take the ultimate risk. To reach out and cling to the one person that could bring complete devastation if Max Evans failed her one more time. "Why? Why when you know how much I'd hurt you? That part of my heart would always belong to someone else?"

Pursing his lips, Ben's gaze lowered as he choose his words carefully, deliberately. Honestly. "Because, despite everything, I still love you. Because there's only two people in the entire world that can make that sadness in your eyes disappear." His misty green eyes met hers. "I'm the other one." The meaning of his words crystal clear, he swallowed hard at the tears turning the tip of her nose a rosy red. "Liz, I wouldn't trade one smile…not one…to not feel this pain. Every moment I've spent with you…" A shrug of resignation. Eyes full of heartfelt emotion. "…it's worth everything I'm feeling right now, Liz. Everything."

"Oh, Ben…" Burying her head in her hands, Liz's tears fell freely.

Ben hesitantly crossed to the bed and gathered Liz in his arms. Rocking her gently, he tried to soothe her, unaware his actions and words were changing the course of the future. In his arms, Liz retreated from the incessant call of her heart. She took refuge in what was comfortable. What was familiar. What was safe.

In that haven, she let herself feel. Everything. All at once.

A growing ache for Max Evans was coursing through her blood. A desperate need gripped her with such intensity she felt her muscles giving away under the weight of it. A love so fathomless, so infinite, permeated every cell in her body, every wisp of her soul, every intangible thought. She wanted him. She craved him. She loved him. If she took the risk…

She could finally be home. With Max.

Rejecting the hope rising like a Phoenix out of the ashes, Liz felt every emotional blow she'd been dealt over the years. The anger. The fear. The rejection. The intense anguish. Each lonely moment. Every tear. Every dark, dreary, lifeless day that she'd lived through. Days where tiny rays of sunshine had broken through. Moments when smiles didn't hurt and laughter came easily. All because of one man who hadn't given up on her. If she didn't let go…

She could finally be safe. With Ben.

Her thoughts shifted to her unborn son. All that he would need. Want. Be. Everything she had to offer him. What was lacking. The stability, the certainty, of a father. The protection from fear, pain. She'd felt him inside. During the battle. Fully in control. Powerful. Extraordinary. Yet, vulnerable and terrified. He'd sacrificed everything to give them their lives. Now, it was her turn to sacrifice what she wanted most for what he desperately needed…

When her tears had subsided, Liz pulled back from him and began to speak her decision as if Ben had been privy to the silent war raging in her heart. "It will never be…you know…what I had with him, but I do love you in my own way. And I know that I have a lot to make up for, but I think I can, Ben. If you'll just let me, I know I can be what you need. What you want…"

Confusion furrowed his brows. "Lizzie…what are you talking about?"

"I'm talking about us, Ben." Pulling in a ragged breath, Liz swallowed hard. "Let's just…pretend none of this happened. Let's go ahead with our plans. Get married. Buy the house. Raise Noah as our own." A plea clouding her eyes, Liz grabbed Ben's hands in hers and held on tight. "Please, Ben. You were happy with me once. I know I can make you happy again if you'll just give me that chance. We can…we can forget we ever saw Max. That we ever broke up…"

"Whoa." Ben pulled his hands from Liz's grasp, his eyes were wide with surprise. "Are you kidding me?"

"I've never been more serious." Liz answered softly, her gaze lowering. Her words were forced and stilted. "I want…to marry…you, Ben."

Ben sat in stunned silence. After their discussion, after all he'd seen and heard and learned…after witnessing the connection between Max and Liz, what she was proposing was…unthinkable. Yet, given Liz's state of mind, it made perfect sense. In an irrational kind of way.

His head began to shake his answer before he vocalized it. "Uh-huh. No way. This is so not what you want." Raising her chin till her gaze met his. "Lizzie? What in God's name are you thinking?"

Pulling away from his touch, Liz jumped from the bed in agitation. She began a frantic pace in front of him as her fears came tumbling out. "I can't have Noah alone, Ben. I just…I can't. And as much as I want…" Unable to voice the words and still carry on with her plan, Liz broke off. "I will not let Max Evans hurt my son they way he's hurt me. I won't even give him the chance."

"So, wait. What are you saying? That you're not going to let Max be part of Noah's life?" Ben's voice was incredulous. "Liz, that's crazy. He loves and wants this baby as much as you do. And…and what about the ritual? You'll need Max for the ritual to have Noah…"

"No, I won't." Liz stated, her voice emotionless. "I know what to do. Noah is already who he is going to be, Ben. I don't need Max to re-create him. I just need someone who cares about me. Someone like you…"

"Oh, no." Throwing up his hands in protest, Ben jumped off the bed. "You are not going to use me to have this baby and shut his father out of his life."

"Why not?" Eyes flashing with instant pain, Liz's voice hardened. "Max was more than willing to let Tess step in and have him for us. I don't see the difference."

"The difference is, Liz…" Ben grabbed Liz by the shoulders and forced her to look in his eyes. "…he was trying to save your life and you're just trying to hurt him." His eyes bored into hers. "I will not be a substitute for Max Evans. Do you understand? I won't let you make the biggest mistake of your life."

Shrugging out of Ben's grip, Liz took a step back. Her eyes were black bottomless pits of misery. Her voice, as cold as determined steel. "Then I won't have Noah at all. I swear to God, Ben, I won't." Tears began to form in her eyes as her voice dropped to a fierce whisper. "I felt him. I know how strong his heart is. I know how much he wants to live. How much he wants to love and be loved. But I'm telling you now, I'll take the vial and destroy it myself before I'll let anyone or anything hurt him." Her shoulders squared. There was no quiver in her voice. "Even his own father."

Standing there, watching the woman he still loved despite everything, despite himself, Ben faced the decision of his life. He had no doubt Liz meant every word she said. It terrified him so much more than he could ever admit. He'd seen her on the point of breaking once. On the night they met. He was seeing it again now.

Deep down inside, he knew she was reacting out of fear and desperation. That, as irrational as it was, she was acting out of protection and love for her unborn son. That she was feeling her pain and not thinking beyond this moment of darkness, of despair. Deep down inside, Ben knew Liz would one day have the courage to follow her heart.

But it would not be today.

And he would not stand by and watch her ruin her life and the lives of those she loved.

Decision made and plan quickly forming, Ben nodded once. "Fine. We'll get married. But…" Holding up a cautioning finger, Ben's eyes flashed with equal determination. "…I have a few conditions."

"I'm listening." Liz responded automatically, robotically.

Ticking off his conditions with his fingers, Ben gambled everything on his gut instinct. "First. Max **will** be the one to have this child with you, Liz. You will not shut him out of the ritual, Noah's birth or his life." Liz opened her mouth to protest. Ben continued as if he didn't notice. "Second. We don't make wedding plans for two years."

"But…"

"I mean it, Liz." Ben cut her off. "If at the end of two years you still want to get married, we'll do it. No questions asked. No hashing things out. We'll keep it simple and go to a judge or rent a church and do it up right. I'll adopt Noah and never once look at him as another man's child. But not a day before two years has passed."

Doubt clouding Liz's eyes, her tone was curt. "Why two years?"

"Because I say so." Ben shot back unceremoniously.

Her lips tightened into a thin line and her eyes brightened with understanding. "If you think by putting this off that I'll change my mind about Max…"

Cutting her off, Ben took a step forward, his blue eyes connecting with hers in unmistakable sympathy. "What I think, Liz, is that you've been through hell tonight. I think you're life has been turned upside down so many times you don't even know if there is an 'up' anymore. I think you love Max more than your own life and that terrifies you because if he leaves you one more time…just one more…it'll destroy you. For good this time. And that’s paralyzing you from following your heart right now."

Taking a breath, he continued as he watched Liz's expression soften. Her lips begin to quiver. Her gaze shift to hide the storm building in her eyes. "I also think you want Noah…so very much. I think the very thought of not having him is tearing you up inside. And you're desperately trying to find a way to hold on to what you know. What's steady. What's safe. Until this storm of yours passes. So that you **can** have your son. So you can have a chance to conquer your fears and follow your heart back into Max's life."

"And if you need me to be that for you right now, Liz…" Holding out his arms, Ben shrugged away the gravity of his promise. "…I'm here. For as long as you need me. But I also know things can change. People can change. Trust can be rebuilt and people can start all over again. Forgiven. Loved. With clean slates."

"Lizzie…" Gathering Liz's hands in his, Ben paused till her gaze met his. "…when the day comes that you realize that…the last thing you'll want is to be committed to a man who is nothing more than your rock when you hit your greatest storm."

Gaze lowering, Liz pulled her hands from Ben's. The bravado in her voice was forced. The uncertainty was palpable. "It won't happen, Ben. There's too much standing between Max and me to just…" Shaking her head, her gaze snapped back up to meet his as a fresh, more convincing wave of determination flashed in her eyes. "It won't happen."

Shrugging as if it were of no consequence to him, Ben quirked an eyebrow and continued with his plan believing deep in his heart that all her protests were in vain. "Then in that case, I have a third condition. No one is to know about this engagement of ours."

"What?" Incredulous, Liz's eyes widened. "Why the hell not?"

A blonde eyebrow raised as Ben's lips hardened into a thin line. "I repeat: I will not be a substitute for Max Evans, Liz. I won't let you use me to get back at him for how he's hurt you." A pointed look caused Liz's gaze to falter. "And if I'm going to marry you, I need to know I'm not second choice. That I'm not some consolation prize. I deserve that." Voice softening in tone, Ben's stance began to relax. "Besides, it's the very least you owe me."

"So…you're saying I have to prove myself…my love for you."

Pursing his lips, Ben nodded. "Yes. Yes, I believe that's what I'm saying."

Swallowing hard, Liz nodded once before her gaze raised to meet his. "Alright. Anything else?"

"Yes." Ben stated softly. "Know that I'll be there for you…for Noah…if Max walks away again. No questions asked. I'll step up and fill in the gap. But…" Holding up a hand against Liz's open mouth of protest. "…if he doesn't walk, if you realize you can't live without him, Liz. That you still love him as much as we both know you do…" Shaking his head, Ben shrugged. "…I'm out of the picture." He paused. "These terms are non-negotiable. This is the deal. Take it or leave it..."

Liz took it.

And her life since had been both blessed and cursed because of it…

"Tess?" Ben's voice pulled Tess back to the present. To their conversation. To their future.

"I owe her, Ben..." Tess' blue eyes met Ben's unflinchingly and held as conviction rippled through her voice. "…because Liz Parker gave me…you."

Ben blinked in surprise. "How do you figure?"

A gentle, bittersweet smile touched Tess' lips. "Honey, you and I both know if Liz hadn't released you from the promises you made that night, you and I wouldn't be sitting here today planning our wedding."

Ben looked away uncomfortably and tried to protest. "Liz and I were both beyond ready to let go. Besides, the two years were almost up. So, I don't know that your assessment is all that correct, Tess."

"I do know." Tess stated calmly, her gaze shifting to the past. "I lost you that night you promised to marry her. I lost you before I'd even found you."

"Tess…"

"Ben." Tess captured his face in her hands and tenderly coaxed his gaze to meet hers. "You are the most honorable man I know. When you give your word, you keep it." Pulling in a ragged breath, Tess' voice dropped to a pained whisper. "And when you gave your word to Liz that night, you did it with your whole heart. You made a vow to marry her and raise another man's son as your own."

Caressing his face with infinite tenderness, Tess shook her head in awe. "Sweetheart…if she'd let you, you would have done it. You would be her husband right now. You would have never given me a second look, Ben. You know it and I know it. You would have been faithful to her and you and I would have never even had a chance to begin."

Ben's gaze lowered in resigned admission. His voice was light with nostalgia, heavy with regret. "She was so scared that night. So desperate. I'd never seen her so paralyzed with fear before. She…needed me and…and…"

"And you still loved her." Tess added softly. "And there was a part of you that hoped you would be the one she chose in the end."

Ben's gaze snapped up to meet hers. "Tess, if I had any idea just how deeply I would love you…"

"Ben." Tess placed a silencing finger against Ben's lips. "I know. You did nothing wrong. In fact, you did exactly what I would expect from you. Thing is…" Tess' gaze shifted. "…Liz knew it too. She had power over you and could have used that power to keep us apart. And you know, it would have been the perfect retaliation. Poetic justice. To keep true love from the woman who kept it from her."

Shaking her head, Tess shrugged her shoulders, awed by the facts before her. "But she didn't do that. She knew about us long before we told her and she didn't make demands on you. She didn't try to stop us. She let you go, knowing you would walk right into my arms. Knowing everything would change." Tess paused thoughtfully. "That's why I want to help. It's time for both of them to stop all this madness and just…follow their hearts."

Ben simply nodded in understanding as a gentle smile touched his lips. "So." A smile brightening Tess' face, she grabbed his hand in hers. "Tell me everything. What exactly did you say to her and how did she react to the possibility of losing Max for good? And what's the next step? What's the plan?"

"Well…"

A knock on the door halted the much-desired answers to the steady barrage of questions. Ben glanced down at his watch as a smirk appeared on his face. "If that's who I think it is, they're right on time."

"Time?" Excitement filled Tess' voice as she curiously watched her fiance ease himself off the couch and head to the door. "Uh…honey? Time for what?"

Ben turned to Tess with a wink before opening the door with a flourish.

Tess curiosity grew as Isabel Evans breezed her way into the apartment, stopping long enough to plant a kiss of greeting on Ben's cheek. "Hello, our gorgeous partner in crime."

"Right back at ya." Ben chuckled before turning his attention to his next visitor. "Michael."

Michael shook hands and patted his future brother-in-law on the back in greeting before nodding to Tess. "Hey, sis. Got anything to eat?"

"I can't believe you, Michael Guerin! You just got done eating!" This condemnation came from a petite spitfire walking in the door behind her husband. Reaching up to give Ben a hug and kiss on the cheek, Maria shook her head and rolled her eyes at Michael's 'you call that food?' comment.

"Uh…hi, guys." Tess hesitantly greeted her unexpected visitors while watching them plop one by one into seats around her. Ben's smiling approach instantly drew her attention. "So…what's going on? What are you guys doing here?"

Hands stuck in his pockets, Ben shrugged and wiggled his eyebrows before turning his attention to Isabel. "So. Have the papers been delivered?"

Isabel nodded as she preened. "Yes. Dad got word she signed for them about three hours ago. From all indication, panic soon followed and she is currently on a flight headed to Roswell."

"Good." Turning to Michael, Ben nodded. "What about the Parkers?"

"They're good to go." Michael answered promptly. "Mr. Parker spoke with Liz this morning after you saw her. Told her about the will. If anyone can convince her to check it out while she's there, it's him. In fact…" Turning to Maria, Michael clearly passed the ball.

Turning to Maria, Ben tilted his head in silent inquisition. He didn't have to wait for an answer. "Liz fell for all of it hook, line and sinker. Of course, she couldn't get in touch with Max and Max will never see or hear the message she left for him before she headed out of town." A twinkle of pride was in her eyes. "I saw to that one myself."

"Thank God." Michael said under his breath as his eyes scanned the faces of his friends, his family. "She's seriously pissed, in case you're wondering. The language that girl used…" Shaking his head in mock disapproval, Michael couldn't hide the grin dancing in his eyes. "… would make a sailor blush."

"I figured. But it's good to know." Nodding his pleasure, Ben added what information he knew to the thickening plot. "Alex called earlier asking if we knew where Liz was. Apparently, Max is already freaking out about not being able to find her."

"Thanks to my baby." Maria beamed at her husband with pride as she patted his leg. "He put some major doubts in Max's mind about her safety."

Shrugging Maria's compliment away, Michael nodded toward Isabel. "Yeah, but Izzie's occasional mindwarp this past week went a long way in convincing him."

"Speaking of doubts." All business, Isabel's look was pointedly in Ben's direction. "How did your talk with Liz go today?"

"She's definitely shaken." Ben responded.

"Enough to finally take action?" Isabel pressed.

"Yeah." Ben nodded. "Yeah, she's ready. And with everything we've thrown at her, I think she finally realizes what's at stake here."

"Sounds like this just might work." Isabel acquiesced with tilt of her head in acknowledgement.

"Yeah. Sounds like it might." Ben beamed back.

There were smiles all around. Until…

"Uh…excuse me." Tess' inquiring voice cut through the congratulatory silence. "Am I understanding this right? You've all been playing matchmaker? Without me?"

"Hey, don't blame us." Maria shot back, her eyes dancing with mischief as her gaze shifted to Ben. "Hottie over there's the devious one that planned everything. We've just carried out his orders."

Turning to Ben, Tess' eyes clouded with confusion. "I thought you said you didn't know where Liz was."

"I didn't until a few moments ago. I'd hoped, but…" Shrugging sheepishly, Ben's eyes held a hint of doubt.

A hint of hurt entered Tess' voice. "Boy, you're full of surprises today."

"I'm sorry, hon." A sudden case of guilt washed over Ben's expression as he crossed to the couch and plopped down next to Tess. "I should have told you the plan when this all started, but once I got the idea…" Shrugging, Ben glanced at his compatriots. "Well, let's just say everything happened rather quickly." Eyes locking with hers knowingly, Ben's voice softened. "Besides, I didn't want you to be disappointed if this doesn't work."

"It will, Ben." Tess' reassuring smile returned as she held out her hand to him. When he took it, she squeezed it tight, her own faith flowing into him. "They're ready for this. I can feel it in my bones."

"So do I." Isabel echoed. "We all do." Nods around the room instantly reassured Ben.

"Now." Tess leaned back against the couch and glanced at her friends with a teasing light in her eyes. "Why don't you all fill me in on the details since I wasn't allowed to participate?"

"Uh…sorry, sweetie." Ben winced with regret then quickly explained his reluctance. "We really don't have time."

"We don't?"

"No. In fact…" Turning to Tess, Ben gathered her hands in his. "…I have a very, very important mission for you."

"Really?" Tess' blue eyes lit up with excitement. "You mean I get to help?"

Ben chuckled. "Not only help…you, my dear, are the last piece of this intricate puzzle."

"Yeah?"

"Yeah." Nodding, Ben sobered. "Tess. I need you to convince Max that Liz Parker ran off with another man."

"What? Who?"

Ben swallowed hard before dropping his latest bombshell. "Me."

tbc…
Ashton
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Explanation and question...

Post by Ashton »

Hey all,

I know by doing this, there's a potential of opening Pandora's box, but I thought it was necessary given the feedback from the past several chapters.

When posting stories in an open forum like this, a writer must be prepared to take bad feedback with good. So, first, I want to thank all of you for you comments and honest feedback. It was my desire to finish this story more quickly by jumping ahead a few years. Apparently, by not explaining every moment of M/L's life together during that time, I have done a disservice to the story, the characters and to you, the readers. For that, I apologize.

This story **has** changed from the beginning. When I started writing this, it was in the early stages of Roswell…in fact, this was the first or second Roswell story I had written. It started as a sweet, get Max and Liz back together kind of story, but as it progressed, so did my idea about the direction I wanted it to go. I took a risk by adding twists no one would have suspected at the beginning (M/L's son; Tess/Ben relationship) and for that I won't apologize. You never know if something will work, if you don't try.

I think part of the reason for the general dissatisfaction I've seen has had a lot to do with the fact I've told Max and Liz's story through their friends in the last several chapters. In doing that, I've not given enough M/L 'moments' that perhaps make the readers continue to root for that couple. That was probably a mistake and again, it has done disservice to the story and you as readers.

I would, however, like to explain my motivation for writing Liz the way I have, especially in this last chapter. I know her comments sound cruel. I know her demands seem selfish. I know she's acting in an irrational, cold manner. And I also know it's probably easy to hate her right now and think Max is the greatest thing to walk the earth. Or that she doesn't deserve him and that he'd be better off without her.

But…let's take a quick recap from Liz's perspective, shall we?

She's a teenage girl that falls in love with an alien. Beyond falling in love, they have an out of world connection with each other. One that creates magic humans can only dream about. Their love is so intense, so deep, that they say vows, pledging everything they are to one another. Then they make love with such emotion and intimacy they create a child (though they aren't aware they did) and plan their future.

This same alien, from her perspective, drops her like a bad habit the second his 'alien bride' hits town. Not only does he leave her, but she SEES him making love to Tess. True, it was a mindwarp, but she's lived for 5 long years with that image in her mind. Not to mention all of the public displays of affection M/T **purposely** did in front of her to make her hate him. She has truly believed, this whole time, that she had been rejected by the one person in the world that she loves beyond anything and anyone else. The one person she would give everything up for…even her life.

Not only that, she's been haunted by the feeling that she's missing something, someone, in her life. Someone other than Max. That unconscious knowledge is so ingrained in her that she's had nightmares. She loses track of time. She 'dream' walks only to find herself in odd places and doesn't know how or why she got there. She's constantly searching for someone that she doesn't even knows exists, which turns out to be her son. Overall, when it comes to her past with Max, there is a deep sense of insecurity, pain and rejection and with Tess, bitterness and anger.

The one constant in her current life has been Ben. Her friend. Her confidant. The person she's trusted with everything except the one most painful experience of her life. It was so painful, in fact, that she never once told him about Max, the undisputed love of her life. In a way, she's shut off all memories of Max and that time and acted as if none of it ever happened. On the other hand, Ben is the person who never gave up on her. He's never walked away. He's never lied to her. He's the only person that has made her feel she has any worth. Who believes in her enough to share himself the way Max had at one time. She's actually so sure of Ben, that she's attempting to move on with her life and has agreed to marry him, even though deep in her heart she knows it's Max she truly belongs with and to.

She does love Ben. Not in any way, shape or form that she loves Max, but she does. With Max she's crazy, head over heels, breathless, passionate, butterflies in the stomach, turning her world upside down, rainbow dances, out of this world kind of love. With Ben, she feels…safe. Secure. Comfortable. Companionship.

Then…on the 'eve' of her wedding, who drops back into her life but the very man she's never been able to let go of. She quickly finds out that he lied to her about being with Tess because he believed he was killing her. That the whole Max/Tess 'relationship' was a sham from the beginning. That he made life altering decisions about their future, never once talking to her about it or consulting her in any way. This, she's willing to forgive. She wants to put the past in the past and try again. Because she loves him so much.

Then…she's told about her son. How he was stolen from her. He was used to make Max think she was dying. How his life now hangs in the balance if they don't move quickly to save him. She also learns that the woman she hates most might be the only way to save his life. Not only that, she realizes that Max is willing to let Tess do just that if it means keeping Liz safe. Again, no real discussion…Max is willing to make the decisions here despite his protests to the contrary. She's wary of where this is new twist is going, but moves forward, putting her doubts and fears on hold in an effort to save her son.

So, they confront their greatest enemy: the alien master of lies, manipulation and blackmail. The one that separated M/L in the first place. The one now threatening to kill their son or use him as a means to a throne Liz couldn't care less about. In the process, she watches Max, yet again, make a unilateral decision that affects all of them. Even after BEGGING him not to, he again pushes her away and makes a deal that will rip him from her life forever. Yes, it is to save their lives. And yes, deep in Liz's heart she knows that. But she's also been hit too many times with the same issue…Max's inability to trust her and include her in decisions that affect both of their lives.

But before any real move is made, their unborn son takes control. Not only does he wage battle for them, he literally uses her to do it. And by using her, she's brought to the edge of death…and finds herself WANTING to go there. To actually die. Deep inside…the rest, the peace she could find in dying is so much more appealing than the chaotic, emotional world she would be heading back into. But Max's love and their connection is so strong, she's pulled back into life and reality. And what does she find? Max…eager to begin their lives together, and again making decisions for her before she's had a chance to make any of her own. Not to mention, he's oblivious to everything she's emotionally been through, which would have never happened in the past with them. Because of the deep connection they shared, they were always so in tune with each other. And a lot of what she's been through could have been avoided if he's just talked to her, and…from her perspective…believed in her and trusted her. As for Liz calling Max a 'coward'…there's actually a reason for that and I would tell you, but I was going to use it in the ending so I'll refrain from telling you now.

I know there are a ton of chapters leading up to all of this, and that the posting time between the chapters is very long (which I take full responsibility for)….but remember the timeframe here. All of this (from Liz and Max seeing each other again to the last chapter) has happened within a 24 hour time period. (Obviously I'm not talking about the years after the battle with Nasedo.)

So, Liz, to say the least, has A LOT to deal with. If she's being irrational or cruel or hateful…she's being human. She's being a woman desperately in love with a man she can't be sure of. Not because she's being irrational, but because he's not given her reason to believe she CAN be sure of him. Yes, his intentions are full of love. And yes, Liz is mentally aware of all the facts, but hearts don't always listen to logic. And what her heart is telling her is that she NEEDS someone she can count on if she's ever going to take the step that will ultimately change her life forever. The step that will make her the mother of an alien child.

So she turns to the one person that never lets her down…Ben. She doesn't lie to him. He knows where her heart is…where it always will be. But he also knows that even though she believes it, what she's telling him is NOT what she really wants. She doesn't want Max out of her life. She doesn't not want to not have their son. She's so desperately afraid that she's going to start out on this terrifying, unearthly experience with someone who only knows how to hold her hands through the good times and that the second another crisis appears, Max will disappear. Granted, for the right reasons, but still she'll be left ALONE to shoulder the responsibilities of raising an ALIEN son.

Knowing all of this, and believing with all his heart that Liz and Max do belong and will be together, and that they will find their way back to each other given time, Ben agrees to her proposal. With full disclosure. He's a willing participant to get her through the first hurdle until she is thinking and feeling clearly again. In this process, he finds his own love in Tess and is able to let Liz go.

Yes, there are still issues arising from the Tess/Ben angles, but overall, Max and Liz have a good relationship now. They're friends, which is the basis of any strong relationship. Their shared love of Noah and the fact they still do love each other very much has brought them closer then I'm sure you would get from what I've written. No, they've not gone back and hashed out every little detail of everything that's happened, but they're both too afraid doing that will ruin what they've started. And what they've started is not nearly what it was, but they're getting back on even footing and they both see the potential there to be back where they were before. That's why they're both holding on even though it's not the perfection they once knew.

And I think that's where I've failed in showing the total picture. I've not shown that angle of the story the way I should have and for that, I take responsibility and apologize. I am willing to do that, but at this point, I need to know if you all are willing to let me. Or has this story been so 'ruined' for you that you don't want to see it continue in any fashion? I know by asking this, I’m opening up the whole potential of another rehash of how 'evil' and 'hateful' Liz is and hope that you'll take what I'm sure is an inadequate explanation of her actions and factor that into your thinking. It's really all up to you all. If you want to see it continued, fine. If not, fine. I'll probably finish on my own at some time and quit posting this story here.

Again, thanks for your honest feedback and hope this explains a little where I'm coming from.

Ashton