Shadows ( CC / Mature) (Complete)

This is the gallery for the winners of the fanfic awards to show off their fics, and their banners!

Moderators: Itzstacie, Forum Moderators

FallenMagic
Addicted Roswellian

Shadows -- Part 71

Post by FallenMagic »

Author's Note: This part is kinda short and kinda sucks :roll: I promise the next part willbe better. This part..well my muse was giving me one hard time! Gerry - I'm so glad you love this story so much that you actually replied everywhere! Aren't I lucky to have a fan like you :D

Part 71

Liz’s heart was pounding in her chest and her breathing was coming out in short bursts. Her lungs felt as if they were on fire as she ran. She had been so worried about Maria that she hadn’t even taken the car but had begun to run. Her house wasn’t that far away nor was Liz in such bad shape that she should get winded down from running over to Maria’s but the fact that she was crying and sobbing while she ran may have been the cause for her state.

She gave silent thanks that she had lived in Roswell all her life and knew all the short cuts. She kept to the alleys and back roads rather than the main road because she knew she could be spotted. She knew the risk she was taking running through town looking like her old self but right now she couldn’t form two words together to save her life. Only one thought kept running in her mind.

Maria’s hurt!

She didn’t know what she would do if something happened to her. She wanted to laugh at the irony of it all. She kept risking exposure when she had been the one to lay of coming to Roswell as they didn’t have new identities and now her best friend was in danger, maybe because they had come too late. But Liz pushed that thought away. She didn’t want to think that. She didn’t want to acknowledge the fact that Maria might die because she was too late.

No! Stop it! She chided herself. Maria is going to be fine. She is not going to die. It was just a premonition. It doesn’t necessarily mean anything!

But she wasn’t fooling herself. She just knew Maria was hurt badly. She didn’t know where to go or look so she followed her first thought and ended up at her house. Liz stopped short when she saw the house, her breath catching. All her memories from her life came crashing on her but she didn’t have time to reminisce. Shaking her head to clear her thoughts, she made her way to the back, where Maria’s room was, making sure to keep out of sight.

Mrs. DeLuca’s car was not in the drive way and Liz desperately hoped that meant she was not at home. Liz peeked inside Maria’s room, her stomach twisting when she found it empty. She had hoped that Maria would be home, maybe lying on her bed working or anything! Sliding the window open quietly, Liz let herself in. Once she had climbed in she looked about the room for any sign of where Maria was. Maybe she was out on a date with Michael or was at the Crash Down. But as Liz looked at the bed she realized with growing sense of panic that Maria had not spent the night here. She could tell with just one glance.

Liz jumped when she heard a noise come from the window and she turned, ready to flee. But then she relaxed when she saw Alex and Serena scamper inside.

“What are you doing here?” Liz asked surprised and yet pleased.

“To help.” Alex told her.

Serena also nodded. “You’re not doing this alone. She was my friend too, although in a different timeline. I came back to save her and if I turn my back on her now, I might as well have helped kill her again.”

Liz gave Serena a watery smile of thanks.

“Any idea where she went?” Alex asked.

Liz tore her gaze away from Serena and looked about and shrugged. “No. But let’s start looking for anything that might help.”

As the other two shuffled about, Liz’s eye caught the desk next to Maria’s bed. Maria always kept her important paper there and Liz hoped that maybe she would have kept something there this time too. Slowly, she walked towards it, her stomach fluttering in anticipation. In a way she knew what she’d find there and yet could not help but let out a surprised gasp when she slid open the drawer. At the small sound from Liz, Serena was instantly by her side along with Alex.

“What is it Liz?” Alex asked in a worried tone. “What did you find?”

“This.” Liz replied shakily, pulling out the blue folder.

“What is it?” Serena asked.

“My file. The one in which I kept all my notes on Alex and Leanna.” Liz replied, her gaze riveted to the pages she was flipping slowly. “I kept it with my journal.”

“What is it doing with Maria?” Alex asked. Then he grinned slightly. “Oh! She always knew where your journal was. She must have found it with it.”

Liz smiled a little. “Yeah.” She murmured. “Looks like it.”

Serena took the file from Liz’s hands and began skimming it. Halfway through she paused and then suddenly smiled. “She heard.” Serena murmured to herself.

“Huh?” Alex broke in, confused. “Who heard and what?”

Suddenly Liz caught on. “Maria!” she exclaimed. “She heard your message Alex, when we tried that dream walk thing. She heard you and now she’s investigating.”

“How do you know that?” Alex asked, a tiny bit of hope sprouting up.

“Because she’s written down her points on the side.” Liz exclaimed. “See?” she took the book from Serena and pointed to Alex where Maria had scribbled her points.

“That’s good right?” Alex asked nervously.

“Very.” Serena affirmed.

But just as suddenly as the smile had appeared on Liz’s face, it vanished, replaced by a cloud of anxiety. “Do you think she got hurt while investigating this?” she asked. “We know it could be dangerous, especially if someone…Kivar, doesn’t want anyone to follow this up.”

No one said anything, hesitant to even think of the possibility. Then almost as if by a silent consensus they turned back to work, rooting through her room. Liz stood rooted to the spot for a moment after a bit of hesitation she gently placed the file back into the drawer. She turned to help Alex and Serena.

“Did anyone check the voice mail?” Alex asked when he spotted the phone. When both girls shook their heads he pressed the button and ran through all the messages. The last one made them all stop. Their eyes meet in a panicked look when Jim Valenti’s voice related what had happened.

“…It’s not good Amy. You’d better get here fast. She’s at Roswell Memorial. Just…hurry will you?” With a deafening beep the machine clicked off.

Serena was the first to find her voice. “I’m sure it’s not that bad…” she trailed off, not really believing that herself. Jim’s voice had been shaky, anxious and worried. There were not many things that got Jim Valenti upset.

“Alex,” Liz’s voice was sharp as she snapped her head to bore her gaze into Alex’s troubled ones. “Open your connection.”

“Liz…”Alex whispered, scared to do so and find out something horrible.

“Do it Alex!” She ordered then softened her voice to add, “Please…”

Swallowing back the lump of fear Alex nodded. He took a deep breath and closed his eyes, letting the connection open and flood through him. He felt overwhelmed by all the jumble of emotions he felt. Fear, panic, worry, hatred, grief…they were all there. He could feel all of his friends as they waited for some news. Alex’s heart beat picked up when he felt a sharp guilty pain run through him which he recognised instantly as Max’s followed just as quickly by a heart wrenching grief from Michael.

In fact Michael’s pain was so powerful that it soon overshadowed Max and the others. Alex felt alarm ripple through him If Michael was grieving so badly then what had happened to Maria. Almost with blinding terror he concentrated on Maria and it wasn’t until he felt her familiar essence swirling around him that he let out the breath he didn’t know he had been holding. She was okay, she wasn’t dead!

But then Alex frowned inwardly. There was something else. She was hurt but…it was odd…. He didn’t understand it. She was alive…but what? He didn’t understand why she felt trapped and suffocated. He thought he could hear her scream but that was stifled. Cannot bearing anymore Alex abruptly broke off his connection.

It took him a few seconds to get his bearing back and when he did he found himself shaking. He looked at his hands in partial surprise before quickly clenching them but even then he couldn’t avoid the trembling running through his body. Liz noticed that immediately and rushed to his side. She led him to the bed and made him sit down. Once he had managed to compose himself, Serena asked, “Is she okay?”

“I- I’m not sure…” he stammered.

“You’re not sure?” Liz asked. “What do you mean? She’s okay…isn’t she?”

Alex met Liz’s troubled gaze with his own and slowly nodded his head. “I am pretty sure she is…” he said.

“But what?” Liz whispered fearfully when his voice trailed off. When Alex didn’t answer her she grabbed his hand. “But what Alex?” she asked again, her voice pleading and insistent.

“But she’s not.” Alex finally told her.

“But you just said she’s fine.” Serena asked perplexed.

Alex sighed wearily. “That’s what I was trying to tell you…I know she’s alive but that’s about all there is that I know. For some reason…I can’t really read the extent properly to distinguish if she is really fine or just…” he stopped, not willing to say the words.

“Or if she’s just hanging on by a thread.” Liz finished in a whisper.

“Liz…”Alex began again. Liz snapped her attention back to Alex hearing the apprehension in his voice. “There’s something else too.”

“What?” she asked almost fearfully.

“I read the others too.” He swallowed the lump in his throat as he said grimly. “And I think we’d better head over to Roswell Memorial…and fast.”

TBC....
<center>There are endings and beginnings and then there are Crossroads; and, somehow, in the end all that's left are Pieces Of A Dream</center>
FallenMagic
Addicted Roswellian

Shadows -- Part 72

Post by FallenMagic »

Author's Note: Thank you guys for your wonderful feedback! roswellchick it's all right...i forgive you as long as you keep reading :wink:

Part 72

Max stood alone in the hospital corridor, staring in Maria’s room through the window opening to where he was standing. He stared at the tubes running into her body, at the monitor screen showing a pulsing line, her heartbeat. He stared at her pale form, feeling his heart constrict in pain. He felt so guilty at not being able to heal her. He didn’t understand why he couldn’t. She was alive, yet he couldn’t heal her. Why was it that he could heal dying children, he could heal Liz but not Maria?

Why not her? Why? He yelled furiously in his head. His gaze fell on Michael who was sitting beside Maria’s bed, holding on to her hand tightly. Max felt guilt and anger double up as he watched his best friend sitting there, watching over his girlfriend.

Michael hadn’t moved from there since Max had left him in the room to inform the others about his failed attempt. Amy had been surprised to find him sitting there when she had returned back to the room. She had contemplated telling him to leave but one look at his face and Amy had placed a comforting hand on his shoulder, nodding slowly, as if giving him permission to be there.

Feeling self-disgust rising up again inside him, Max tore his gaze away from the window and stared at the wall instead. But even that didn’t offer him any comfort. On the contrary the white walls and white interior made him feel even more suffocated, more angry.

He didn’t understand why the place was so white. Why were all hospitals so white? Was it supposed to be comforting? To appear pure? To Max it only served to remind him of the White Room and the fact that there was so much in the world to dirty the pristine pureness of white. It seemed like a lie to have white in a hospital.

The sharp click of heels snapped Max out of his angry thoughts. Looking away from the wall he saw Isabel standing next to him. She gave him a sympathetic look, which made him look away. Isabel could only look at him sadly, knowing why he didn’t want to meet her eyes. Instead she focused her attention to her other brother.

Isabel swallowed back the tears that lodged in her throat when she peeked through the window, into Maria’s room and saw Michael. He looked so defeated sitting there, with his shoulder’s slumped, holding Maria’s hand in his. Can’t bearing the sight any longer she turned back to Max. When she looked back at Max she found him once again staring in, almost stoically. She hated to see her brothers like this. It hurt her to see them hurt so much. For the hundredth time he wondered what they had done to deserve this kind of pain. First Alex, then Liz and now were they to expect Maria to die next?

No! She thought fiercely. Nothing is going to happen to Maria! She needed to believe that. She needed to believe that if she was going to be able to support her brothers. She had to be the optimistic one, because looking at both of them now; she knew they had lost all hope. But she wasn’t ready to give up just yet.

“Here.” She said, extending her hand and holding out a steaming cup of coffee to her brother.

Max looked down at her hand in surprise, not having noticed she had something in them. He thought of refusing it, the thought of drinking or eating made his stomach churn but one look at her face, he knew she wouldn’t let him refuse. She knew he was still weak from trying to heal Maria. She wouldn’t push him to eat but he knew she would make him drink that coffee.

Hesitantly taking it from her hand he gave her a small smile. “Thanks.” He said softly.

He played with the cup in his hand, turning it around, not wanting to drink it. When he saw Isabel’s expectant look, he quickly brought it to his lips and took a sip. It wasn’t until it was down his throat that he realized how much he needed that. He took another quick gulp, silently grateful to Isabel for knowing him so well. When he finally put the cup down Isabel smiled softly at him, as if knowing what he was thinking.

“You’re welcome.” She said belatedly. Then she nodded her head towards Michael and Maria. “So how is she doing?”

Max sighed and rubbed his hand over his face. “Maria’s the same. No change. Not getting any better or any worse.” He replied.

Isabel nodded a bit sorrowfully. Then after a pause said, “How’s Michael doing?”

“I wish I knew.” Max replied quietly. “He’s retreated back into his stone walls and they’re higher than ever.”

“He loves her.” Isabel said, more to herself than to Max. “He loves her so much…” She turned and addressed Max with more of a statement trying to convince herself as well as him. “She’s going to get better.”

Max hesitated before he nodded. “Yes she will.”

Isabel nodded too, but both of them saw the doubt in each other’s eyes, both of them heard the desperate hope in their voices.

“So where are Kyle and Tess?” Max asked, after a few minutes of silence.

“They’ve gone home.” Isabel replied. “Tess was really weak after her mindwarp so Kyle took her home. She looses a lot of energy now with even the simplest use of her powers.”

“I know.” Max answered.

“Ava came by just now.” Isabel told him. “She heard and came to see if she could help.”

“Can she?” Max asked hopefully.

Isabel shook her head regretfully. “No. No she can’t. You’re the only one who can heal.”

“Yes, seems so.” Max said rather bitterly.

“Max you did all you could.” Isabel told him gently.

“But it wasn’t enough was it?” Max asked bitingly. “I can’t help her in anyway…”

“Maybe you weren’t supposed to.” Isabel said. “Have you ever thought about that? You’re not God, Max. Yes you have the power to heal but sometimes…sometimes it just isn’t enough.”

Max didn’t say anything, refusing to let go of his guilt this easily. Isabel sighed inwardly, knowing she was not reaching him. With a quick squeeze of his hands, she slipped into Maria’s room. Michael turned to glance at her briefly when he heard her enter but didn’t move to acknowledge her.

Isabel came and stood besides him, letting her hand rest comfortingly on his shoulder. Neither she nor Michael was much into outward display of emotions but she knew this would be enough to reassure Michael of her support. Isabel stood there silently, not sure whether Michael wanted to talk or not. She wasn’t even sure whether she wanted to talk yet but soon the consistent beeping of the machines echoing in the room began to unnerve her. Needing something, anything to break the silence and drown out the machine Isabel blurted out,

“It doesn’t seem fair.”

Michael shot her a wry look. “Nothing in our lives ever is.”

“It could’ve been different…”Isabel said then realized what she was implying. Michael also understood and turned to give her a swift look.

“Do you wish it was different?” he asked, wondering if she still regretted Max’s action of healing Liz a year ago.

Isabel bit her lip, not sure what she did wish. “Does it matter?” she asked, not really wanting to ponder the answer.

After a long pause Michael shook his head, settling back on the chair. “No, I guess it doesn’t.”

They both fell silent once again before Isabel hedged quietly. “Do you regret it?” she asked. When Michael gave her a puzzled look she explained. “Her knowing, that is. Do you regret Maria finding out about you and you having to live with this guilt that it is because of you she won’t be safe?”

“Sometimes.” Michael replied, not sure of the answer himself. Did he? But then that would mean he wouldn’t have Maria in his life. Did he really want that? “Do you?” he asked instead.

Isabel thought for a moment and then slowly shook her head. “No.” she whispered. “Because no matter what, I could never regret finding love, even if for a short while, with Alex. It is better than a lifetime without it.”

Michael managed a teasing smile. “You’ve been reading romance novels again haven’t you?”

Isabel shot him a dirty look but a small smile quirked the edge of her lips. Then she turned serious. “What were you guys doing in Las Cruses?”

Michael stiffened imperceptibly. He hesitated in answering. Was this a good time to tell them what they had found? Would he be willing to leave if Max wanted to go check it out? He wanted to go; he might have to, as Max might need the help of the people he and Maria had found there. But that didn’t make it an easy decision for him.

“Michael?” Isabel prodded gently.

Michael sighed, running his hands through his hair. “Call Max here would you.” He said making up his mind. Isabel looked at him curiously but then nodded, and left to call Max.

Was he doing the right thing? Should he tell them right now? Should he give them all the information they had found?

Maria would have wanted me too. He realized. She was the one gunning for this, for the truth. I need to get it all out.

“What do you want to tell me Michael?” Max asked, coming in at that moment, followed by Isabel.

Michael hesitated before saying, “Max, I followed Maria to Las Cruses.” He looked at both Max and Isabel before going on. “We were there because Maria got a lead…a lead in Las Cruses.”

“What lead? About what?” Isabel asked.

Michael looked at her, knowing this would affect her. “About Alex’s death.” He said quietly.

Isabel gripped the chair almost instinctively. Her face paled as she stammered, “A-about Alex’s…death?”

“Alex died in a car accident Michael.” Max told him almost angrily. “What was there to follow up on?”

“It wasn’t an accident Max.” Michael told him. “What Maria found made me believe that Liz may have been right.”

“About what?” Max asked with trepidation.

“That Alex was murdered.”

“Oh god!” Isabel let out a small sob, burying her face in her hands, trying to fight the urge to cry.

Max didn’t say anything or a minute, ignoring Michael’s expectant look and Isabel’s quiet sobbing. Then, with reluctance, he asked, “Do you believe that is true?” he asked.

“I do.” He answered without hesitation.

“But h-how? Why?” Isabel cried. “H-how can you be so sure?”

“I’m sorry Isabel.” Michael apologized. “I know this is hard for you…”

“Just tell me how?” She pleaded.

Michael held her gaze for a split second before nodding slowly, more to himself. Turning to Max he said, “Go to Maria’s house. There, next to her bed is a side table. Open the top drawer and you will find a blue file. It has everything Liz had been looking into and what Maria herself dug up. I have some things we found out in Las Cruses here with me but those can come later. Right now you need evidence of what really happened to Alex? Well, you’ll be more than convinced when you see that file.”

Max looked hesitant, as if not sure whether to really trust Michael about this. Then making up his mind he nodded. “Fine.” He said shortly and quickly turned to leave.

“Max!” Michael called out to him just before he left. Waiting until Max was looking at him Michael said with great conviction. “Do not tell anyone about this right now. Not Tess, not Kyle. Not even Ava. Got it?”

Max nodded a little. He needed to see this for himself before he believed.

TBC.....

See this time the ending wasn't a cliffhanger...technically...;)
<center>There are endings and beginnings and then there are Crossroads; and, somehow, in the end all that's left are Pieces Of A Dream</center>
FallenMagic
Addicted Roswellian

Shadows -- Part 73

Post by FallenMagic »

Author's Note: Now who was saying that someone should start getting a clue?;) I know a lot of you guys are gunning for Max and Liz to meet but that's unfortunatly not goingto happen but something...else is... :wink:

Part 73

Throughout the ride back to the Valenti house both Kyle and Tess were silent. There was really nothing to be said. They were both scared of what was wrong with Maria but even they knew that giving each other false security would not do in the long run.

Kyle kept glancing at Tess every few minutes, taking in her pale and tired face. She had lost a lost of energy while trying to mindwarp the entire ward’s staff and now she was resting her head against the cool glass pane of the window, her eyes closed.

“You all right there, Tess?” Kyle asked her a bit worriedly when she didn’t move from her position for well over ten minutes.

“Hmm?” Tess murmured her eyes still closed.

“How are you holding up? Kyle repeated.

Tess managed to pry open her heavy eyelids with great difficulty. Looking over at Kyle she gave him a small, reassuring smile. “I’m fine.” She replied slowly, taking out the words with effort. “Just…just very tired.” She stifled a yawn, instead shifting around in her seat so that her back was facing the door. She watched Kyle for a few silent minutes, contemplating her thoughts.

“What?” Kyle asked, when he glanced at her and saw her staring.

“Kyle…” her hesitant voice immediately caught his attention. “Kyle, do you think she’s going to be all right?”

Kyle faltered in answering, not sure whether it would be wise to lie to her or give her the hard truth. Almost as if sensing his thoughts she laid her hand on his thigh and said softly, “Don’t lie to me. I can take the truth.”

“I know you can.” Kyle answered. “But I’m not sure if I can.”

“What do you mean?” Tess asked with a frown.

“I-I’m not sure whether I’m ready to voice what my head’s been trying to tell me all this time.” Kyle admitted.

“And what’s that?”

Kyle bit his lip and gave her a melancholy look. “That she might not make it.”

Tess lowered her gaze as she focused on the gearshift. Though she had in a way known that if Max couldn’t heal there wasn’t much hope, hearing the words out loud made her startle. Could it really be true? Was there no hope for Maria? Was there really nothing that they could do?

“I think in some way, even Michael is aware of that.” Kyle’s voice broke her out of her thoughts.

Tess looked back at Kyle and slowly shook her head. “Maybe but he’s not giving up. I could sense it.” She replied. “And we can’t too Kyle. If we give up hoping…”She faltered before taking a deep breath to calm herself down. “Maybe there is some other way. This can’t be all that we can do. There has to be some other way!”

“What way Tess?” Kyle asked sadly. “What way? If Max couldn’t heal her…there is nothing else that we can do.”

“But there has to be Kyle, there just has to be.” Tess whispered with desperation. She turned back around and once more riveted her attention to the passing streets.

The silence stretched into minutes once again as they continued to drive back home. Both were lost in thought, with Kyle trying to reassure himself that Maria would be all right and Tess trying to convince herself that there had to be some way they could help.

But how? She wondered biting her lip in frustration.

Max’s power was very useful and always worked but that did not mean that if it didn’t work on Maria that there was no hope for her. Until now Max had only healed a handful of people, who knows if he could heal all types of injuries. Maybe Maria’s was one that he couldn’t heal. But that did not mean there was no other way. They each had a unique power and together they complimented each other.

Tess suddenly stirred as a thought flitted across her mind. What if… she began hesitantly. What if Max isn’t the only one who can heal? Then she frowned at that idea. It wasn’t possible. No one but Max had the power to heal. But what if we used one on our powers to fix her? To not necessarily heal but...to somehow repair the damage?

Her mind flitted restlessly from one idea to another, unable to fully grab hold onto what she wanted to say, yet knowing it was only a grasp away.

“What are you thinking about Tess?” Kyle asked, noticing her expression. Tess suddenly turned her attention to him, though her mind was far away, deep in thought.

“Kyle, has Max ever healed anyone aside from Liz and you?” she asked.

Kyle gave her a curious look, puzzled at why she was asking this. He thought a moment before he nodded. “Yeah, he healed a bunch of kids who had cancer. You were here when he did that.”

Tess nodded, more to herself than to him in agreement. “Right.” She murmured. “Aside from them, you and Liz then?”

“No.”

“And all these kids, they had a physical illness right?” she pressed further. “Liz and you, too, were shot, again a physical injury.”

“Yeah.” Kyle agreed slowly. He shot her a quizzical look. “Where are you going with this?”

Instead of answering him Tess asked, “Kyle, do you think that maybe Max’s power is limited?”

“Limited? You mean as in ‘for a time period only’?”

Tess’s mouth quirked into a faint smile as she shook her head. “No, I mean, restricted.”

“To what?” he asked.

“To the physical aspect of healing.” Tess replied.

“To the…” Kyle trailed off shaking his head. “No, that’s not possible. It doesn’t make any sense. Why would he have the power to heal and be able to heal only physical injuries? And what other kinds are there?”

“There are many other kinds Kyle.” Tess told him softly, her eyes downcast as she thought of a few. “But I was talking more of Maria’s kind.”

“Since when is Maria’s any different?” Kyle demanded.

“Don’t you see? It is! It’s mental. Don’t you remember what your father said? It’s a head injury. That might mean that nothing is damaged physically that would allow Max to fix. Maybe it’s all internal, in her head!”

“Why would a car accident bring about an injury like that?” Kyle asked, though he couldn’t keep the hope out of his voice.

“Maybe it wasn’t just the car crash…”Tess murmured as something hit her. She sat up straighter abruptly and gave Kyle a sharp look. “Turn the car around.”

“What?” Kyle asked in confusion. What was she doing?

“Just turn around and go back to the hospital. I have an idea.” Tess cried in excitement. Kyle just glanced at her then abruptly swung the car around, earning more than a few glares and curses. He didn’t pause question to Tess. Whatever she had planned, he trusted her. It was their only hope.

In her seat Tess wrung her hands in half nervousness and half excitement. She had to give her idea a shot. She had a funny feeling it would work. There was also something at the back of her mind, tugging at her memory. She didn’t know why but she gave a silent prayer that Ava would not be there at the hospital.

TBC.....
FallenMagic
Addicted Roswellian

Shadows -- Part 74

Post by FallenMagic »

Author's Note:I've been thinking...i wont't tell you what I've been thinking since that would be a dead giveaway but I can tell you that it's about Tess and Liz and Maria...just gonna make things interesting since the story (i feel) is lagging al ittle...now while you speculate what I've been thinking, enjoy this next part. It stars our own clueless Max... :wink:

Part 74

“What am I doing?” Max muttered to himself as he drove furiously towards Maria’s house. “I can’t believe I’m listening to Michael’s insane theory!”

But the truth was even though he was questioning this theory that had been concocted by Liz and carried further by Michael and Maria, Max couldn’t turn the car around. Something was compelling him to drive to her house and see that file for himself. Even though he was dismissing it as ridiculous, his hands were sweating in anticipation of what he would find, somehow knowing that it might not be what he would like.

If Michael was convinced enough to go to Las Cruses to follow it up then it had to mean something, right? But Michael is always charging into things that give off even the slightest hint of ‘alien’! Max thought. But what if he was right this time? Three people couldn’t be wrong, could they?

Max’s grip on the steering wheel tightened as he thought about Liz and her own investigation. She had been so convinced that she was right, that aliens had murdered her best friend. And if Max knew anything about Liz it was that she wasn’t reckless. She knew what she was doing and followed cold, hard facts and logic.

If he hadn’t been so blinded by his anger, he would have realized that. And maybe she would be alive today… He found himself thinking. Max slammed his fist on the steering wheel suddenly. No! I am not going to think about that right now. I can’t let my guilt cloud my thinking right now. Right now I have to get to the bottom of this. Right now Maria is more important…

With that thought, he drove faster, determined and anxious to know what was in that file. He realized he had never bothered to ask Liz why she really thought Alex was murdered, nor did he know anything about the evidence she had found. What if she was really on to something when she was leaving for Sweden? What if it could have been the deciding factor for her investigation? Then that would mean that he had stood in her way, barring her from finding out anything about her best friend’s death. He had stopped her from helping out her friend in clearing his name. Because, even though he had refused to acknowledge it, he had known that Alex could never have committed suicide.

Swallowing these bitter thoughts and self-accusations, Max turned towards the DeLuca house and stopped the car in front of it. He sat in the car for a minute or two looking at the house, his gaze sweeping the entire perimeter. He couldn’t make himself get out of the car. All of a sudden he was deathly afraid of what he would find inside that harmless looking blue file.

Well, I have to see it sometime. I can’t sit in the car forever. Ma thought. Steeling himself, he pulled himself out of the car. As soon as he began to walk up to the back entrance, his senses began to tingle. It was just a slight tickle, like the brush of a feather against his skin but it was there. He paused and looked around. He knew that feeling. But he couldn’t place his finger on it. It was too indistinct here.

Shrugging it off Max let himself in and headed straight for Maria’s room. He wasn’t prepared for the sensory overload when he entered the room. In fact it was so unexpected that he stumbled backwards and had to grab hold of the door frame too keep from falling.

Liz… his mind whispered in shock. Max stood still for a few moments, can not understanding why he felt Liz so strongly in the room. It clouded his mind, thrilling him yet at the same time instilling a deep settling pain in his heart. He felt her all around him, her smell, her essence; he could feel it floating around the room. His brows creased in confusion. Why did he feel her so strongly here? Her feel wasn’t even this strong in her own room! Was Maria using her perfume or something?

He didn’t understand what was happening but he knew that if he stood there mulling over it he would be standing here forever. He needed to get back to work. Shaking himself mentally, Max quickly crossed the room and towards the bedside table. As he got closer, his skin tingled even more, as if taunting him, seeing how far he could be pushed by Liz’s aura.

If he concentrated he could trace the faint smell of strawberries and vanilla, Liz’s smell. His skin was tingling as if he had been touched by her or was really nearby. He had to stop himself from turning around and calling out her name in hopes of her popping out from the closet or bathroom. He didn’t know why he was so aware of her right now, but he was trying not to think about it.

Liz is gone. He mentally scolded himself. Now concentrate on the task at hand. With that Max firmly pulled open the drawer and immediately his eyes fell on the blue file. It was right where Michael had told him it would be. Max paused before he took the file out. Gently holding it in his hands, he flipped open the pages, his mouth dry in anticipation.

He saw Liz’s flowing handwriting, outlining all her theories and investigations. Penned next to them in Maria’s writings was what she had followed up on. Max smiled softly, his eyes riveted to Liz’s familiar writing. Unconsciously his fingers stroked the words, tracing them. But as soon as Max touched the page a flash hit him.

** Flash **

Liz standing looking at the file in surprise.

“What is it Liz?” he heard a vaguely familiar voice say. “What did you find?”

“This.” Liz replied shakily.

** Flash **

He saw a girl with platinum blonde hair standing next to the bed, file in hand and a grin on her face. “She heard…” she murmured to herself.

** Flash **

“…She’s written down her points on the side. See?” Liz exclaimed.

**End Flash **

The file dropped from his hands as he heard and saw Liz in his flashes. This effectively stopped them and Max felt a twinge of disappointment. He picked it up again, hoping to receive more of them but there were no more to be seen. He slowly turned the file over, his brow scrunched in confusion.

What was that? He wondered. Those flash about Liz…and that girl. Who is she? Why does she look so familiar?

He knew he had seen the girl somewhere before but couldn’t place where. But what confused his the most was seeing Liz. Why had he seen her? When did all that he had seen in the flash happened? And why was someone they have never seen in Maria’s room? Was it just a friend from school? But then why was she going through this file?

What is in the file anyway? He wondered. He re-opened the file and this time he read over the words slowly, carefully. The more he read, the paler he became. When he reached the part about Maria tracing the emails to Las Cruses, he felt his knees buckle and he had to sit down on the bed to let his whirling mind catch up. He couldn’t believe what he has just read. It couldn’t be true! But there it was in black and white.

Liz was right! Liz was right! His mind chanted in a daze. Everything she had told him, everything she was investigating was true! How could he have been so stupid? So blind? Max’s heart thumped painfully in his chest as he realized that if he had listened to her and helped her then maybe none of this would be happening. Maybe he and Liz would have been together.

His eyes flitted across the papers once again and paused at one place. Was it true that aliens killed Alex? Who? Why? Max slowly closed the file as a thought crossed his mind. What if the person who killed Alex is still lurking around Roswell? What if everyone else is still in danger?

He quickly stood back up. He needed to get back to the hospital and quick. There was a lot of explaining to be done.

TBC......
FallenMagic
Addicted Roswellian

Shadows -- Part 75

Post by FallenMagic »

Part 75

Liz checked her reflection as she pushed open the doors to the hospital and walked inside. They had had to wait for almost half and hour before Serena could change their looks once again. They had kept to the looks they had sported when they first came into town. She was once again Caitlin Hurst and Alex was Drake LeMoore. Serena, being new in town, kept her own identity.

“You ready for this?” Liz asked Alex softly.

Alex looked at her with a nervous half-smile. “No.” he replied honestly. Liz quickly leaned in to give him a hug, holding on just a while longer than was necessary as she tried to shake off her own worry. Alex held her against him tightly, swallowing back the lump of fear growing inside him.

“I saw Ava and Isabel in the waiting room.” Serena said, coming back from her scout. Alex and Liz let go of each other and turned back to Serena.

“Ava!” Liz asked in surprise. “She’s here?”

Serena nodded. “Yeah, she’s there too.” Liz frowned but didn’t say anything.

“Any one else?” Alex asked. “Michael? Max?”

Serena shook her head. “No, though I think Michael is with Maria.”

“Is she awake?” Liz asked hopefully.

“I don’t know.” Serena told her apologetically.

Liz fell silent and looked away, blinking back her tears. “Well, let’s get on with this, shall we.” Alex said, moving past Serena and headed to the waiting room. The plan was to sit there, as close to their friends as they could get and try and see if they could pick something up. It was all they could really and anyway it wouldn’t be much of a problem. The problem would be not to be recognized.

Fitting in that room won’t be a problem at all. Alex thought grimly.

They picked a sofa a few feet away from Ava and Isabel. They sat down, with their backs to them but their ears honed on them. As they were moving past them though, Ava shot them a quick, suspicious look and Liz held her breath, praying she wouldn’t be recognized. Much to her relief, Ava looked away, not having noticed anything unusual.

Ava turned her attention back to Isabel, keeping up the conversation to keep her from thinking about Maria’s predicament too much.

“So, Michael’s still there?” she asked her.

“Yes…” Isabel sighed.

“He ain’t gonna sit there all day is he?” Ava asked.

“Seems so.” Isabel replied. “He needs to get some rest though. He’s only tiring himself out. Sitting there won’t do anything to help Maria.”

“Maybe if I talked ta him…”Ava offered.

Isabel shook her head. “It won’t do any good. Michael can be very stubborn. He won’t leave her side.”

Ava shot Isabel a cautious look, wondering how she could ask her question without seeming too suspicious. “Where were Maria an’ Michael comin’ from?” she asked.

Isabel hesitated in answering, not sure how much to tell her. “Las Cruses.” She replied eventually, seeing no harm in telling her that.

“Las Cruses?” Ava asked, appearing interested. “What were they doin’ there?”

Finding Alex’s murderer. Isabel answered silently, fighting the urge to cry. “I-I don’t know…” she said aloud.

Ava looked at her for a moment, as if debating whether she was telling the truth or not. Isabel didn’t care what Ava thought. She didn’t really want to talk about it and hoped Ava wouldn’t push it. Apparently Ava decided that Isabel really didn’t know so she stayed silent, letting her eyes wander over the room.

She paused at the three sitting a few feet away from them. Even though their backs were to them, she felt uneasy. Trying to act as inconspicuous as possible, she shifted in her seat so that she could look at them carefully. There was something about them, especially the blonde girl and guy that seemed very familiar. She just couldn’t place where she had seen them before. She felt a tug at her heart, almost as if trying to remind her of something…or someone.

But before she could really think about it Tess and Kyle came hurrying through the door.

“Kyle! Tess!” Isabel cried, jumping to her feet. “What are you doing here? I thought you were going home?”

“I don’t know.” Kyle replied. “But Tess had this idea which she isn’t willing to tell me and demanded that we turn back.”

“Tess?” Isabel asked, turning to look at the blonde.

Tess hesitated, looking unsurely at Ava before stammering, “Well, it’s just an idea I had…it might not even work…”

“What idea?” Ava asked, a bit sharply. “About what?”

Again Tess hesitated and Kyle noticed that she kept giving Ava uncertain looks. He didn’t see why Tess was so hesitant to go ahead with what she had planned but he couldn’t shake the feeling that it was because of Ava.

“I’ve got a theory…about how to heal Maria.” Tess told them.

“Max already tried Tess.” Isabel told her quietly.

“I know.” Tess answered. “But have you ever considered that Max may only be able to heal people physically?”

“That’s bull shit Tess!” Ava cried. “First off Maria is physically hurt! An’ secondly if Max can’t heal then there ain’t nothin’ we can do. Period. So what eva’ your ‘theory’ is, it ain’t right.”

“We’ve got no proof to that Ava.” Kyle jumped in, defending Tess. “Max has only healed a handful of people and all of them were hurt in the physical sense, bullet hole and cancer.”

“What are you getting at Tess?” Isabel asked.

“What if there was an other way to help her?” Tess asked, directing her question at Isabel. “What if you could be that other way?”

“Wh-what do you mean?”

“I’m talking about dream walking her.” Tess told her.

“How can that help?” Isabel asked.

“What if there is something in her head that is stopping her from waking up?” Tess asked, growing excited as it all fell into place. “Isn’t she in coma-like sleep? That’s all in the head and may not be physical …”

“But more of mental…”Isabel finished suddenly getting what Tess was saying. “You want me to dream walk her and see if any in her subconscious is stopping her from waking up?”

“Yes.”

“Do you think that’ll work?” Kyle asked nervously.

“No!” Ava suddenly yelled. When everyone turned to give her startled looks she lowered her voice. “I mean, it won’t do any good.”

“And why is that?” Tess asked, narrowing her eyes.

“Dream walking isn’t a healin’ power. You can’t mess with people’s minds. Who knows what might happen!” Ava told them.

“But what if we can help Maria?” Michael demanded coming up behind them. He had arrived a few moments ago and had heard what Tess had said. He now came and stood in front of the dupe, adamant to do all he could.

“What if it’ll be another useless effort?” She shot back.

“At least we would have tried!” Isabel snapped.

Ava was now beginning to panic. She needed to keep Isabel away from Maria or all her work would be for nothing! Taking a deep breath to calm herself down she tried another tactic.

“Look, I know how much you all care for her, but I’m tellin’ you…the risks are too great!” she told them.

“Her life is worth the risk!” Michael yelled.

Ava met his gaze head on and said slowly. “Do you want another casualty?” she asked. Turning to look at Isabel, Tess and Kyle she asked, “Will you chance another friend’s death? Wasn’t Liz an’ Alex enough?”

The silence that followed that was deafening as everyone could only stare at Ava. Though they wouldn’t admit it, it had struck a nerve. Would they chance another death? If Ava said there were risks and that they wouldn’t be able to help Maria, should they attempt to help her still? What if it is no use? Worse, what if things become worse than they are now?

Finally Tess spoke up. “Liz and Alex were victims of circumstances. We couldn’t save them, even when we were there to be able to do so, but at least we tried.”

“‘Victims of circumstances’?” Ava scoffed. “Keep tellin’ yourself that!”

“We need to try.” Kyle told her. “What if this is the way to help her?”

“And what if it’s not?” Ava asked again. She looked over the group and sneered, “Yo, hate to be puttin’ this likes this is but…Liz and Alex, they ain’t accidents. They are dead because of what they knew! Or rather who they knew. We all know it and it’s time you got over denyin’ that fact! Why did Alex die? Becuz’ he was on his way to meet his girl.” She said nodding at Isabel who had a stricken look on her face. “And how did Liz die? She died while she was investigatin’ Alex’s death…. Do you think if they didn’t know about our shit they would still be dead?” She waited for someone to answer but no one looked at her. Smiling to herself she nodded. “Didn’t think so…”

Then she walked away, fully satisfied by what she had accomplished. She knew they would dare to attempt healing Maria now…and that was just the way she wanted it to be.

Liz’s hands shook as she clenched them tightly to her side, trying her best not to run out there and tell her friends how wrong Ava was. Serena, Alex and herself had overheard the entire conversation and now could only stand there in disbelief as their friends apparently took in Ava’s comments as the truth.

“She’s right….” They heard Michael admitted slowly. “It is our fault…and I’m not taking that risk with Maria…no matter how much I want to. We are not pulling someone into this any further…”

Then without waiting for anyone’s reactions, he turned and headed back to Maria’s room. Slowly, the others also dispersed, their guilt written plainly on their faces. Once everyone was gone, Serena, Liz and Alex also moved away to a secluded corner.

“They can’t seriously think that!” Liz exclaimed once they were out of earshot. “They can’t believe that they are responsible for what happened to us!”

“But they do.” Alex replied, shooting a look at Isabel who was now sitting by herself on the farthest corner, her head in her hands. Seeing her shoulders shake with silent sobs, Alex had to hold on to the armrest tightly to stop himself from going over to her.

“Ava did quite a number on them.” Serena added. Liz’s head shot up to look at her.

“She-she didn’t really mean anything by that. She-she was just…just trying to look out for them…” But even as she said that, doubt clouded her thoughts.

“Liz, open your eyes!” Alex snapped much to both Serena and Liz’s surprise. His face was twisted in anger, his eyes flaming with hatred and his voice was bitter. “She is not your friend, no matter how much you want to think the opposite true! I highly doubt she ever truly was! Why do you think she’s here all of a sudden? Huh? Do you really think she’s here to ‘help’ our friends? Are you that naïve? That blind?! Especially after what we just saw and what Serena told us?”

Now that Alex was started he couldn’t stop. Seeing Ava deliberately trying to hurt his friends, causing them more heartache and making life difficult for them made him furious. Just thinking about how she had managed to deceive them all made him snap finally. Being on the sidelines, he could finally see everything clearly, all her lies, her half-truths and it made him even madder to think he couldn’t do anything. That he couldn’t even warn the people he cared about!

Liz and Serena could only stare at him, speechless, as he ranted on, not letting them get a word in edgewise. “Do you want to know why she’s here? Because she wants something from them!” Alex said, jerking his thumb towards the others general direction. “Just like every one of our enemies, she too wants something! Only she managed to get past our barriers way better than anyone! All she had to do was help ‘save’ Max! And we blindly took her in! How stupid! How utterly idiotic! I’ll bet the only reason she let me go in Las Cruses is because my work for her turned out useless and…”

Suddenly he trailed off, his eyes wide, just like Serena and Liz’s when they simultaneously realized what he had just said.

“Wh-what did you say Alex?” Serena asked breathlessly.

Alex had suddenly fallen silently, his eyes wide and disturbed. Though he was looking in their direction, his gaze swept through them, as if he was unaware of anyone around him. Liz touched his knees gently, her voice shaky. She was sure Alex hadn’t meant to say that. That memory might have been triggered by his anger towards Ava.

“Alex?” she whispered, trying to get his attention. As soon as she touched his knee though Alex bolted to his feet. His distracted gaze darted all over the room, though he took nothing in, his mind already assaulting his senses with parts of his blocked memory.

“Alex?” Liz said again, this time fearfully.

“I-I need to get out of here…” he said, before he took off outside. Liz and Serena jumped to their feet and Liz seemed ready to go after him, worry clouding her features. But Serena laid a restraining hand on her arm.

“Let him go.” She advised gently. “His memory seems to be returning. I’m sure that slipped out and he didn’t even realize what he was saying until it was too late. Leave him. He’ll be all right. He just needs to figure this out on his own. Besides we need to check on Maria.”

Liz bit her lip uncertainly. She shot a look towards the doors Michael had gone and then the ones through which Alex had darted. She was still staring at the door Alex had gone through when she felt Serena’s hand on her shoulder.

“He’ll be fine.” Serena promised. “He just needs a bit of space.”

Liz finally nodded, turning her head away and looking at Serena. “You’re right. He’ll be fine…Let’s go see Maria…”

Serena nodded and led her through the doors, down the corridor where she finally stopped in front of a room. Liz looked inside from the window and felt her throat clog with tears when she saw Michael sitting besides Maria, his stance defeated. She saw the tubes running into Maria and her friend’s pale and unmoving form.

“Oh God, Maria!” she whispered, her hand flew to he mouth. Serena gave her shoulder a sympathetic squeeze. “Oh God…” Liz whispered again. She turned her head away; a tear making it’s way down her cheek. She turned teary eyes to Serena and said with a determined voice, “I’m going to help her…in any way I can. I don’t care if it’s dangerous or anything! I have to help her!”

Instead of arguing Serena simply asked, “How?”

Liz’s gaze flitted back to Maria. “By doing exactly what Ava apparently doesn’t want done…. Dream walking…”

Letting her gaze linger on her best friend, Liz ignored the pain in her heart. She had been betrayed but no way was she going to stand by and let Ava do it again.

No way at all! She thought fiercely.

TBC......
FallenMagic
Addicted Roswellian

Shadows -- Part 76

Post by FallenMagic »

Author's Note: Wow, I can't believ you more people are coming into read this. Thanks! :D I love all the feedbacks! I would have gone into a personal fb but I'll wait a few more chapters when a bit more of my story unfolds so I can honestly give you guysanswers without giving too much away. So without further ado...

Part 76

Alex had no idea where he was going. He didn’t even care if he bumped into people in his haste to get away. He didn’t care about anything at the moment. His only thought was to get as far away from Ava as possible and as fast as possible. He briefly thought about how his hasty retreat must have left Serena and Liz worried but even that didn’t seem to make him want to care. His only concern right now was for Maria and Isabel.

His hands clenched in anger when he thought about Maria lying in a hospital bed, the others helpless to save her…just because of Ava.

She’s responsible for this! He thought angrily. I know she is!

He didn’t know how he knew; he didn’t question it, in a way knowing that if he did then it would bring him across memories he didn’t want to wander into right now.

** Flash **

“…I’ll bet the only reason she let me go in Las Cruses is because my work for her turned out useless and…”

** End Flash **

He stopped in mid stride as the words he had let slip rushed at him. Why had he said that? He didn’t even remember what had happened in Las Cruses? But his words implied that Ava had been responsible for his ‘vacation’ to Las Cruses. She may have even been his captor…. But was she really? How could he know that so surely when he barely remembered anything? Maybe he hadn’t really meant to say that at all. He had been so angry at heart that moment that he just flew off the handle. Maybe that was it; maybe it was his anger talking and not some latent memory.

Alex slid down on the bench nearby, letting his head fall into his hands. But then why do I doubt that? He wondered. Why do I feel so sure that Ava was and still is responsible for whatever is happening to all of us right now?

God, he hated this! He wished things were back to normal, back to the way the once had been. He had been happy and safe. He and Isabel were growing closer, he had the best friends in the world and though they might have faced certain hard times, they had been okay. But now…now nothing was okay. Liz and him were presumed dead for god’s sakes! Dead! Isabel was hurting, he could feel it, something was wrong with Tess, they had an enemy infiltrated into the group and now Maria was lying in a hospital bed, in who knows what kind of condition.

At the thought of Maria, guilt crept up on him. He hadn’t even bothered to check to see how she was doing. He didn’t even know if she was awake of not. He was so busy trying to fend of his own haunting thoughts that he forgot about the person for whom they were risking their lives for, for who he would happily risk his life for, if it kept her safe! He had forgotten about her so easily? He let his own problems over shadow her? Was he that selfish?

What kind of person does that make me? I’m should be thankful to be alive! I might not have an ideal life now but at least I’m alive! Alex thought guiltily. But Maria…God, I don’t even know if she’ll be all right!

And at that moment he hated Ava. He hated her so much that it scared him. Even though he didn’t have any memory of her or Las Cruses, some inner part of him flared in anger at the thought of what she had done to him in Las Cruses. He hated her for using Liz and her friendship. He hated her for trying to hurt his friends once again. She was hurting the people he cared about and he couldn’t do a thing about it.

He wished he remembered what Ava was doing in Las Cruses with him. He wished he knew why she was going to such lengths as to befriending her enemies.

What do you want from us Ava? Alex asked silently. He let his head fall back on the bench as he squinted up at the bright sky. His eyes narrowed further in concentration as he tried to recall what he didn’t remember. He knew it was there, just out of reach. If he tried harder maybe he could grab hold of it. Maybe he could…

** Flash **

Alex opened the door to his room and shut it behind him, simultaneously switching on the lights. When he turned around he gave a startled jump when he saw someone else sitting by his desk.

“Ava!” He cried. “What are you doing here?”

Ava just smirked at him. “Did I scare ya?” she asked.

“Yes.” Alex replied. He warily looked at her. “Is something wrong? Another problem with Rath and Lonnie?”

Ava shook her head, an odd smile on her lips. “No. No problem from Rath an’ Lonnie.” She told him.

“Then what is it?” Alex asked, suddenly a bit scared. He edged away slowly towards the door. Ava saw this and pushed herself to her feet. Slowly she walked up to him and looked him in the eye. Alex felt all his fear crumbling as a soothing peace filled him.

After a minute, Ava said. “I need your help.”

“H-how can I help?” he asked. A flicker of rebellion flared up in him at the thought but that died down just as quickly.

“I need you to come to Las Cruses with me.” Ava told him, still staring intently at him.

“Why?” Alex managed to ask. He felt so tired. He didn’t want to speak at all.

“That’s none of your business. Now you’re gonna help and do exactly what I ask you to do…there is no option in this!” She replied icily.

** Flash **

Alex backed away from Ava slowly. His hair prickled as she drew closer, circling around him predatorily. He shot a look to his left and right but found that he was trapped in the empty schoolroom. What had possessed him to come here after hours anyway? He wondered.

“How are you going to explain my absence?” he heard himself ask Ava shakily. “People are going to notice if I just disappear. My friends are going to notice!”

Ava just smirked at him. “You underestimate me. I’ve got it all planned out.”

“Mind letting me in on it?” Alex asked, false bravado in his voice.

“Let’s just say you’re going to join the Exchange Student program soon.” Ava informed him with a smug smile.

“That what?” Alex asked in disbelief. “Who’s going to believe that?”

Ava stepped closer to him, pining him against the desk as she purred, “Oh you’d be surprised by how many people will believe that.”

“They’ll find out…Liz, Maria…they’ll know…”Alex gulped, already wondering how to escape and tell them.

Ava waved aside his comments breezily. “Not from you they won’t.” Then she gazed into his eyes, lulling him. When he was unable to resist, she flashed him a quick, mirthless smile. She shut her eyes and Alex saw places he had never seen before. Sweden.

** End Flash **

Alex opened his eyes slowly, disoriented by what he had seen. He picked his head back up, his eyes unfocused and dazed. He sat there his mind going a mile a minute, trying to make sense of the scenes that had flashed across his thoughts.

It had been Ava. She was the one who was behind this. She had come to his home and asked for his help. Before he knew it he was under her mind warp. He remembered how she simply thought and he obeyed. How he had fought against her mind warps but that got harder to do as time went on. He remembered the helpless feeling that accompanied his visits when he went to see her. It was like he was called there against his will…like a pull he couldn’t resist even when he wanted too. Oh he wanted to so badly.

She called me there against my will. I didn’t want to go but I did because I couldn’t fight her off. Alex thought in self-disgust.

He felt fury run through him. So fast and so hard that he clenched his hands to stop himself from knocking someone out. It wasn’t until he felt the sharp pain in his hand that he came out of his daze. Looking down at his palm, he saw red, angry marks where his fingernails had cut into his skin. He looked at them in partial surprise. The raw skin hurt but he only stared in part awe, part satisfaction.

He flexed his hand, wincing with the pain but reveling in it. He deserved this. He deserved this pain and more. He couldn’t stop Ava from controlling him. He should have been strong; he should have fought her off. He shouldn’t have fallen into her mind warps that easily.

If I had managed to fight her off, if I had been strong enough, then none of this would have happened. Alex thought angrily. Yes, he deserved the pain. He was suddenly overcome by another memory. It was like once he managed to get past one barrier, all the barriers fell down for him.

** Flash **

Alex watched Ava from the corner of his dorm room, scared and frustrated. He needed his questions answered. He needed to know why she chose him and not someone else. He needed to know if there was any way out of this.

“Why did you bring me here?” he asked her. This time, he saw her. He saw her eyes flash with impatience before returning to their frosty demeanor.

“Because I need you; that is all you need to know for the moment.” She replied coolly.

He felt so tired. He was so damn tired. He didn’t know why he was here and what she wanted. How was he supposed to do anything when he knew nothing!

“Why are you doing this?” Alex asked. “Why didn’t you just kill us before when you had the chance? Why now and done so elaborately?”

Ava didn’t reply immediately. But Alex knew immediately that he was not going to get his answers. “We have work to do…” she replied coldly.

“How can you expect me to help you if you don’t tell me what it is you want!” Alex cried out in exasperation and frustration. “Now I want to know why the hell my friends’ lives are being put in danger and why mine!”

Ava’s eyes turned into cold fury as she lashed out at him. “You are in no position for any kind of negotiation! Now I will tell you only what and when I deem it okay for you to know!” she yelled. “Now shut the fuck up!”

With that she threw up her hands at him, throwing him across the room with her powers and in the mean time letting out her frustrations. Alex lay groaning, as he tried to get his bruised body to sit up. Ava smiled coldly as she watched him struggle to get up.

“That felt so much better.” She muttered to her self before stalking off.

** Flash **

Alex found himself glaring at Ava as the scene changed once more around him. He was still in his dorm room but this time he noticed the changes. It appeared more lived it, notes lying around the room. He noticed the destiny book in Ava’s hand as she stood angrily in front of him.

“What aren’t you telling me?” Ava demanded. “What have you kept from me?”

“Nothing.” Alex replied.

“Do I look like an idiot to you?” She snapped. “I know there is something missing! This doesn’t make any sense!”

“I did exactly as you asked me to.” Alex told her. “I translated that damn book for you and that’s all there is in it!”

“There has to be more!” Ava ranted as she paced around the room. “This is just filled with useless things…Royal Four…destiny…it’s all crap!” She whirled around and leveled a scathing glare at Alex. “How’d you manage to fend off my mind warp? She asked. “Where is the rest of the translation?”

“I told you,” Alex cried. “There is no more! This is it!”

“But it doesn’t say anything about the granolith!” Ava told Alex. “Nothing, not a word!”

“Maybe they don’t have it.”

“Of course they have it.” Ava replied scornfully. “They are the royal four. It is there duty to protect it.”

“Why is it so important anyway?” Alex asked cautiously. “I mean, why does everybody want it?”

“Because…”Ava replied impatiently. “Because whoever controls it, controls Antar. All of Antar’s power is held in it. Only with the granolith does a ruler become the true king!” Suddenly she looked suspiciously at him, “That as way too much information for you.” Then with a quick nudge, she erased it from his memory.

** End Flash **

Alex slowly opened his eyes once the flashes faded. It all had become so clear to him all of a sudden. Ava, why she wanted him, what she wanted him to do…. Alex frowned though.

But if she’s already got the translation…then why is she here? He wondered. What does she want from them?

There were still so many things that appeared hazy to him, things that would be of so much help to them. But he knew he would have to wait patiently for them to become clear. Maybe he could ask Serena to do the memory retrieval thing again. He was sure he was remembering because of it.

But I wish it was done faster. Alex thought irritably. He sat upright slowly, pondering over what he so far knew. There was something missing here, he was sure of it. Like the fact about what Ava was still doing here.

Watching the people walking past him as he sat in the park Alex clenched his fists. He wanted to be a part of the world again, wanted to be one with the crowd and he was going to try his damn hardest to make sure Ava would no longer be a threat to his friends.

TBC.....

Quick A/N: Umm...did Alex come off too bitter? Was it appropirate?
FallenMagic
Addicted Roswellian

Shadows -- Part 77

Post by FallenMagic »

Author's note: Boy i've sure got people riled up about Ava :lol. Don't worry she'll get what's coming to her. Now this part is a bit short but it's just a Kivar/Ava one...it kinda sucks since I've got writers block of the worst kind...the words aren't flowing while I know what I want to do with the story! *sigh*

Part 77

Kivar’s eyes flashed angrily at Ava when he saw her enter the abandoned factory they had occupied. Ava stopped in her tracks when she saw Kivar’s look. Kivar gave her glare, which told her to follow him. He then turned and headed into his room, expecting her to follow him.

Darting her eyes nervously around her, she saw that she was getting smirks from various skins around her. She knew Kivar was pissed when she saw Rath wink at her and smirk. It figured that Rath would enjoy her discomfort.

She narrowed her eyes at him and gave his mind a little tweak that had him yelling in pain as he grabbed his head. This time Ava smirked, her features plainly conveying her amusement. Bastard! She thought as she resumed walking after Kivar.

She rapped once on the open door before entering inside. She saw that Kivar had his back to her, his arms clasped behind him, staring out the dusty window. She suddenly felt really nervous. She was getting really angry vibes from Kivar even though he appeared calm and cool. Sucking in her breath, putting up a false bravado, she said, “Kivar, you wou-”

“Close the door Ava.” Kivar’s voice was cold, cutting. The tone stopped her from saying another word as she nodded wordlessly and shut the door behind her. “Sit.” He commanded.

Shaking only slightly, she obeyed. She sat there for a full two minutes, with Kivar not even turning around to greet her. He just stood there, staring at an unseen object in the distance. She clasped and unclasped her hands nervously, wondering what had gotten Kivar like this. As the seconds ticked by, she felt choked by the oppressing silence. Can not standing it any longer, she ventured forth, only to be cut off again.

“Kivar-”

“I’m considering if I have made a wise decision Ava.” Kivar spoke softly but his words were chilling. He turned around and fixed a penetrating gaze on her. She shifted inconspicuously in her chair, unnerved by the look and tone.

“About what?” she asked hesitantly.

Kivar ignored her question as he began to walk slowly around the desk he had been standing behind. “I’ve made some very foolish choices over the past as you may know…” he continued. He came to a stop in front of her and held her gaze. “And I’m beginning to wonder if you are one of them.”

“W-what do you mean?” Ava asked. Her eyes followed him as he began his slow, predatory pacing of the room once again. She wished he would sit down because he was scaring her this way.

“Where is Zan?” Kivar asked, smoothly side stepping the question. He didn’t appear angry but his eyes hardened, turning dark and angry.

“I’ve told you, I’m still working on it.” Ava replied. “I’ve almost got-”

“I have been patient with you Ava!” Kivar shouted suddenly, slamming his fists on the desk, causing her to flinch. “I have wasted months over this ridiculous plan of yours! Not only wasted time but resources! And I have yet to see anything for it!”

“It had to be done systematically.” Ava argued, trying to hide her fear. “You know how they are. One wrong move and they’ll be on me in a minute!”

“It’s been months, dammit!” he yelled. “I want results and I want them soon!”

“I got you the translation didn’t I?” Ava shot back. “Until I showed up you were no where near it! I was the one who managed to gain Liz Parker’s trust! I was the one who got Alex Whitman to decode that fucking book! So don’t tell me I haven’t got results!”

“That book is useless without the key and without Zan!” Kivar yelled. He picked up the book, which was lying, on his desk and he threw it at her feet. “Just useless pieces of paper! I don’t need it! What I need is that damn key and Zan! I want Zan, here, now! I want him to lead us to the granolith! You know it will only work with his energy!”

“Then why did you make me decode the damn book?” Ava asked furiously. “If it is so unimportant, then why did I waste my time and energy on it?”

“You know as well as I that it holds the explanations on how to use the granolith!” Kivar reminded her. “Those damn scientists had to rewire everything!”

“Then how come we didn’t find anything in it?” Ava demanded. She had gotten up to her feet, angry at being accused and taken for granted and was now facing Kivar, her face set. “It was just filled with crap about destiny and their heritage! And even I can tell you that there is no destiny for them!”

“You decoded it wrong.” Kivar told her scathingly. “Whatever information those people had left them had to have been in the book. There is nothing else!”

“The book was decoded just fine!” Ava answered, her eyes flashing with fury. “I can’t help it if you don’t know anything accurately! Obviously you’re at fault!”

The second the words left her mouth and she saw Kivar’s eyes narrow in rage she knew she had gone too far. She backed up a step when she saw the pure rage in his eyes. Before she could open her mouth to apologize, she was flying across the room.

She hit the wall and fell down with a groan, her stomach searing with pain where Kivar’s blast had hit her. Her head also ached where she had hit it against the wall. Not to mention her body with groaned in protest as she tried to sit up.

“I’m sorry.” She coughed out as she stood up. “I-I didn’t mean that…”

Kivar glared at her from where he stood, his hand still out stretched. “Listen you little bitch! If it weren’t for me, you’d have been dead long ago at the hands of Lonnie and Rath like that no-good boyfriend of yours. So if you don’t want to die a horribly painful death like him, you’d better shut the fuck up and get this half-ass plan of yours to work! Consider it as your life depending on it!” he tilted his head slightly and grinned at her twistedly. “Got that?”

Ava nodded, her eyes filled with fear and anger at his words. But she bit her tongue, not daring to say anything that might piss him off further. “Got it.” She replied.

“Good.” Kivar replied. “Now get out!”

Ava hurried away without looking back. Inside she was fuming. Who the hell does he think he is? She snarled. I’ve done more for him in these past months than he has been able to do these past years! I will get him Zan like I promised, if nothing more than to show him that no one, and I mean no one under estimates me!

TBC......
FallenMagic
Addicted Roswellian

Shadows -- Part 78

Post by FallenMagic »

Author's note: ckitten, I just had to let you know about the dissent amongst the ranks. :wink: roswellover, I kinda like Kivar bearing down on Ava... :twisted: neo, I'll get to Alex and Maria soon! Next part in fact! frenchkiss how can things ever be smooth between people like Kivar and Ava lol. Cherie, Stacie, you guys scare me :) I was thinking the smae thing! :lol: Though I doubt I'd do that! Where's the fun in that :wink:
This part is a bit short but I'll make up for it in the next part. It's really long and it's what you have been waiting anxiously for. But for now, may I present...

Part 78

It was a couple of hours later when Max finally managed to get to the hospital. Although he had every intention of coming here straight away when he had left Maria’s, once he began driving he found himself unable to go to the hospital just yet. He needed to see that file again. He needed to go through all the details again. He felt compelled to.

So he had driven to the deserted school quad where he sat under the bleachers and pored over every word and every trail and clue Liz and Maria had followed up on or had found. The more he read, the more guilty and anguished he felt. How could he have not seen it? How could he have been so blind?

Because you didn’t want to see it, to accept the reality of it. A part of him answered to his disgust.

He had sat there, reading and re-reading the notes until he had memorized each and every one. By the time he reached the hospital again, he was ready to know everything. About what Maria had found, about why they went to Las Cruses and what they found there. But most importantly, what had happened with Maria. He seriously doubted it was just a car accident. After everything he had just read and realized, he couldn’t shake the feeling that whatever had happened until now, Liz and Alex’s death and now Maria…all were connected somehow. He just wasn’t sure how.

When he got to the waiting room he saw that Kyle and Tess sitting there with Isabel. He gave them a surprised look, having thought they had left. Isabel jumped up when she saw him and hurried to him.

“Did you find it?” she asked. When he nodded, she asked almost hesitantly. “What is it?”

Max didn’t say anything as he looked down in at the file in his hands. Then, slowly raising his eyes to meet his sister’s he said, “Call Michael and tell him that I found it. Tell him that we need to talk and right now.”

Isabel hesitated. “He might not leave Maria.” She finally replied.

“He has some questions to answer and he might not want to talk in that room.” Max shot back.

Isabel nodded and then said, “I’m coming to this meeting too.”

She had fully expected Max to disagree and stop her so she was taken aback by Max’s slow nod. “Fine.” He paused and shot Kyle and Tess a look before going further. “Tell Kyle and Tess to join us too.”

Isabel’s eyes flickered in surprise but she didn’t say anything. She nodded slowly.

“Kyle, Tess and I’ll go ahead and why don’t you and Michael meet up with us at our meeting place. I think it’ll take a bit of convincing to get him out of that room.” Max said.

“Where do you want to meet?” Isabel asked.

Max paused as he considered his various options. A voice kept nagging in his head that wherever they met, it had to be someplace no one would think of checking. He didn’t know why but something inside him warned him to be wary of Ava.

“Max?” Isabel called, trying to get his attention.

Max looked up at his sister, suddenly knowing where to meet that would be the last place anyone, even Ava would think of looking for them. “Liz’s.” he said. “We meet in Liz’s room.”

Kyle watched Max as he sat stiffly in the corner chair, his eyes darting all over Liz’s room, apparently taking it all in. He saw Max’s eyes linger on the pictures that were scattered on her bedside and her dresser. He knew, that like him, Max was remembering the time he and Max had snuck up into Liz’s room and went through her underwear while she was on a blind date. Kyle bit back a smile as he hazily recalled getting caught.

His smile vanished though when he saw just how nervous and tense Max seemed. Max hadn’t told him or Tess why they had come here, or what was going on, but he figured it was important. But he didn’t get why Max had chosen Liz’s room to meet in if it made him that nervous and tense. Kyle’s eyes darted to Tess who was standing by Liz’s dresser, fingering the dry flowers that still stood there. He sighed when he saw how tense Tess was too. He felt a stab of jealousy when he saw Tess’s gaze flit over to Max who was looking at Liz’s picture with love mingled with grief. He saw Tess turn away abruptly from the sight, apparently hurt by Max’s open affection for Liz.

Kyle closed his eyes, trying to calm the raging jealousy and when he opened his eyes he saw Tess looking at him thoughtfully. But as soon as their eyes met, Tess dropped her gaze and turned back to Max who was now staring at the bed with a hardened gaze.

“So Max,” she began, “You didn’t tell us what we’re doing here.”

Max slowly tore his eyes away from the bed to meet Tess’s and Kyle thought he saw Max’ eyes settle on him briefly, his eyes filled with anger and remorse, before landing on Tess. “What?” he mumbled, clearly not having heard a word she said.

Tess sighed inaudibly and repeated, “I asked what we’re doing here.”

“We’re here to discuss what Michael and Maria were doing in Las Cruses.” Max told her. “Plus, I need to show you guys something.”

“What?” Kyle asked.

“Something we should have looked into a long time ago.” Max replied cryptically.

Kyle was about to ask what the hell he meant when a sharp rap on the window announced the arrival of Isabel and Michael. They slid through it and stood inside, looking at the small gathering.

“So,” Michael said looking at Max. “You’re finally ready to listen?”

Max nodded. “Yes. I want to know everything. And I mean everything. I want to know what Liz told Maria, I want to know what you found in Las Cruses and what happened there.” He met Michael’s gaze and said determinedly. “I want to know everything.”

“Everything Maxwell?” Michael asked with a raised brow. Michael then suddenly turned slightly to look at Kyle and instantly Kyle knew what was being asked of him. Should Max be told about Future Max?

Was it time yet? Should they tell him just yet? Could he handle it? No, Kyle decided. Maria has to be the one to do this. He knew he was being a coward because they had no idea if Maria would ever wake up, but he knew that if there was any hope for her, she should do this. So he shook his head very slightly. Michael paused but then gave a curt, accepting nod, having come to the same conclusion.

“Okay Maxwell,” Michael replied turning back to his best friend. “Before we get into any of this there is something you should know.” He paused again and looked around the room. “Something you all should know.”

“What is it Michael?” Tess asked.

“It’s about Maria. The reason she’s hurt…it wasn’t any car accident…it was Rath and Lonnie…”

The silence that followed was deafening.

The prolonged silence stretched into minutes as everybody stared at Michael in shock. They had suspected that something was off, but had not even considered that it might be Rath or Lonnie. The questions flew through their heads, showing on their faces yet not coming to tongue. They were all trying to figure out why and how?

“Michael, I don’t understand.” Isabel finally spoke up, her voice oddly choked and a bit apprehensive. “What would Rath and Lonnie want with Maria?”

“They were looking for something, something they said Maria would have. Maria mentioned something about them looking for a key.” Michael told them.

“A key?” Max asked with a small frown. “A key to what?”

“We don’t know.” Michael replied as he ran a frustrated hand through his hair. “Just that she had the key and they wanted it. He said she wouldn’t be at Las Cruses otherwise.”

“A key…” Tess whispered, her eyes transfixed at some spot of the wall, her eyes far away. Why does that sound so familiar? She wondered. The key…the key to…what?

Kyle glanced over at Tess at that moment and saw her blank stare. “Tess?” he asked, shaking her lightly. “Are you all right?”

“Huh?” Tess asked, looking at him blankly.

“I asked if you were okay.” Kyle frowned at her as he scrutinized her. “You look pale, are you sure you don’t want to go home?”

“No!” Tess shook her head vehemently. “No I’m fine!”

But Max also looked worried. “Tess, maybe he’s right. Maybe you should—”

“No!” Tess cut him off with a sharp shake of her head. “I told you I’m fine.”

“If everybody is done discussing Tess, can we get back to the matter at hand?” Michael asked impatiently. He ignored the glare Kyle sent his way as everyone nodded.

“All right.” Isabel said. “Michael, Max, we need you to tell us everything.”

Michael began to tell them all that had transpired so far, right from him following Maria, to what he had found about Leanna. He told them what he had found about Alex and the super computers at the Litvack building. He told them about how Rath and Lonnie had attacked Maria twice, how they had pushed her car off the road. By the end of it, the others were either gaping at him in horror or looking extremely worried.

Max was pacing the room restlessly. “God Michael! So much has happened and you didn’t tell us!” he accused. “We could have helped! You were stupid to run into this without us!”

“It seemed best at the time!” Michael argued defensively.

“Yeah and it got you into trouble didn’t it!” Max shot back, angry at being kept in the dark for so long and maybe feeling a bit guilty as well.

“Both of you shut up!” Kyle cut in. “Right now we need to figure this out. We need to see what’s this Leanna girl abut and we need to keep in mind Maria!”

“He’s right.” Isabel put in. “There is obviously something going on and we need to figure out what.”

“Fine.” Max blew out. “Let’s start with what Alex was doing in Las Cruses. You said he was decoding our language?”

Michael nodded.

“But why didn’t he tell us?” Isabel asked. “Why didn’t he tell me? Why did he lie? And if he was successful where is the decode version?”

“That’s exactly what we’re going to find out.” Michael told her.

“We need to work on that.” Max agreed. “Now what about this key? What’s it for and why do they want it so badly?”

And you shall be the key… the words flashed across Tess’s mind before she could make any sense of them. “Something’s wrong…” she said, but it came out barely above a whisper. No one seemed to hear her as they divulged into their own theories.

“Most importantly where is it?” Kyle put it. “They think Maria had it if she was in Las Cruses, do you think it could be there?”

“Something’s wrong…” Tess whispered again but again no one heard. Her had throbbed as the room spun before her eyes. The phrase ‘key’ kept repeating itself over and over again in her head until she felt sick.

“We should go check it out.” Isabel offered.

No one noticed Tess, who had backed herself into a corner, shaking and trembling as flashes of blurred images raced before her eyes. The world tilted and spun as the pain in her head spread to her stomach. She clutched her stomach with a low groan that finally caught the other’s attention.

“Tess!” Max’s panicky voice reached through her fog. “Tess!”

She felt hands jerk her to her feet and lead her to the bed, but all she was really aware of was the pain. She held her stomach protectively as a scream tore through her mouth. The pain…oh God! Her mind whimpered.

“What’s wrong with her?” Kyle asked frantically as Tess began to shake violently.

“Max, do something!” Isabel shouted in fear.

Max was already reaching for Tess, laying his hands on her stomach, but he didn’t know what to look for. He didn’t know what to do. “Tess, look at me!” he urged. “Tell me what’s wrong!”

“Max…” Tess moaned as yet another blinding pain ran through her. “Kyle…” Then the tears came as Tess began to sob, tears streaking her face. “Please…” she whispered though her cries. “Make it stop…”

“Max! Do something!” Kyle shouted again, silently thankful that the Parkers weren’t in town today to hear the commotion.

Max reached to form a connection but the second he touched Tess, a bright red light engulfed Tess and blasted him across the room.

“Maxwell!” Michael hurried to him. “What happened?”

“I can’t connect to her. Something powerful…” Max gasped out.

** Flash **

“…key to…”

** Flash **

“…no idea what you’re playin’ up against…”

**Flash **

Tess felt fear, intense fear coil around her and a sudden dawning.

** End Flash **

As soon as the flashed stopped, Tess felt the pain subside slowly. She sat back up with a gasp, struggling to breath. Everyone was around her in an instant, though Max looked hesitant to touch her.

“Tess?” Kyle asked looking at her with worry. “Are you all right? What happened?” he took her hand in his and held it.

Tess shook herself from the remnants of her pain, pushing away the cloud of pain still lingering in her head. She was surprised by the intensity by which they had come and gone. She looked from one person to the next, seeing only concern and worry for her. Her eyes met Kyle’s and she squeezed his hand softly before turning to look at Max. She had to tell him something important. She didn’t know how she knew but she did. She also didn’t realise that she was still shaking, that the shivers running through her right now were not of cold but of fear. Fear she couldn’t name nor put her finger on but knew lay just within grasp.

“Tess?” Max’s voice broke her from her thoughts.

She continued to look at him quietly, her eyes filled with fear and caution. “They’re here, Max…” she told him softly, her voice trembling only slightly.

“Who’s here?” Michael asked, unnerved by the look in Tess’s eyes. He had never seen her this spooked.

“Our enemies…”she replied. Turning to look at each member of the group she said, “They’ve been here all along…”

TBC......
Last edited by FallenMagic on Mon Oct 20, 2003 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
FallenMagic
Addicted Roswellian

Shadows -- Part 79

Post by FallenMagic »

Author's Note: First off, thank you once again to all who nominated and voted for this story! thanks a million! i can't tell you how much this means to me! Glad everybody is liking the story so far and I see some people are following it on two and three boards even! That's gotta make me feel special! :D :wink:
Okay, after a long and tenseful wait (which I must admit I enjoyed every minute of :twisted: ) I think I'd better end the suspense. Thus enfolds the 'healing'. It's a quite long chapter which, for once doesn't end as a cliff hanger. I though of putting it into two parts but then decided you guys had enough suspense :wink:

Part 79

Liz stared at her reflection in the hospital’s bathroom mirror before looking down at her hands. Her hands gripped the sink in a death grip as she prepared herself for Serena’s signal. She moved her gaze away from her perusal of her white knuckles to her pale face. She noticed how much darker her eyes looked against the paleness and she briefly considered changing their color to another color. But then she cast aside the idea, wanting to have some aspect of her original self when she finally met Maria. It was stupid, she knew, but she wanted something of her old self to shine through when she connected with Maria. She couldn’t risk keeping her hair the same way, so she had opted for her eyes.

I’m going to be able to talk to Maria. She realized with part apprehension and part joy. It had been so long since she had been face to face with any of her friends let alone had talked to them, aside from Alex, that she was very nervous.

How long has it been? She wondered, still observing her reflection. Two months? More? Three maybe? God it has been almost three months since I last saw any of my friends! Since I last saw Max!

Her heart constricted in anguish as it hit her just how long she had been forced to live like this. Could she ever go back? Could she ever take back her life? Even if she could, could she still be the same girl who left Roswell? Could she possibly forget all the things that had happened? Could she still be as optimistic as before?

She sadly realized that no matter how much she wanted to, she could never go back. Even if they, by some miracle, managed to get their lives back, she could never go back to being Liz Parker. She was changed forever. She had seen too much, been through too much to ever go back.

Am I that broken? She wondered. That disillusioned?

She let her right hand let go of the sink and raised her hand to her face. She ran her fingers through her now blonde hair, letting the tendril slip through her fingers with ease. As they did so, she changed their color back to their chocolate brown shade. Once her hair was back to their normal shade, she silently observed herself, noticing all the changes. She saw the grimness in her mouth and her eyes that, were once so bright and hopeful, were now sad and disillusioned. Is this who she had now become? Had she become the people she carried the name of? Caitlin Hurst or Lisa Davis?

“Can life ever go back to normal?” she repeated the words that had once, so long ago been said.

“What’s so great about normal?” she heard Alex reply.

Her eyes flew up to meet Alex’s in the mirror. She hadn’t seen or heard him come in and so she smiled softly when her gaze met his. She turned around slowly and leaned back against the sink as Alex came to stand next to her, also leaning back the same way as her.

“Where’d you hear that nonsense?” she asked lightly.

“A very good friend.” Alex replied. He turned to her, his voice serious. “Liz, what’s wrong? I could feel your emotions a block away.”

Liz averted her eyes. “It’s nothing. It’s stupid really…”

“It can’t be stupid if it’s got you so tensed up.” Alex replied.

“I-I’m just nervous that’s all.” Liz replied, not meeting his eyes.

“That’s all?” Alex asked skeptically. “Are you sure it has nothing to do with the fact that you’re feeling lost? That you’re questioning if things can ever go back to the way they once were?”

Liz didn’t say anything as she stared at the floor, in a way not surprised at all that he knew all that. Nowadays he just knew what she was thinking or feeling so it didn’t really surprise her anymore.

“Liz,” Alex sighed when she didn’t answer. “Liz, look at me.” He waited until she reluctantly looked up at him. “It’s perfectly all right to feel those things. I do too. In fact I’m asking the same questions you are. And the fact of the matter is that we can’t know. We don’t know how things are going to turn out so it’s useless wondering all that. We need to be in the now; we need to be focused. Because it’s our way out of this. You got that?”

When Liz nodded he smiled. “Good.”

A silence fell between them as they both wondered what else to say. Alex didn’t know where to start telling Liz why he had bolted and Liz wasn’t sure she should ask. Finally, making up her mind she asked hesitantly, “What made you come back?”

Alex looked at her in surprise, knowing she wanted to know what had happened. He shrugged noncommittally. “I wasn’t going to loose to her.” he replied carefully, intentionally not mentioned Ava’s name.

Liz nodded slowly, fully understanding Alex’s meaning. “Neither am I.” She replied. Her gaze fell to the floor as she paused before venturing further. “Maria’s in bad shape you know.”

Alex swallowed the lump in his throat as he replied, “I know…”

Liz raised her head to meet his gaze. “Why do I get the feeling that she has something to do with this?”

“Because she does.” Alex answered with cold conviction. “Just like she had something to do with me.”

“What did she do to you Alex?” Liz asked softly as she raised her hand and lightly placed it on his shoulder in a gesture of comfort.

“She used me.” He replied bitterly, letting his gaze wander away from hers. He didn’t want her to see the bitterness and anger in his eyes. He briefly noted that both he and Liz were refraining from saying her name aloud, almost as if saying it would cause her to appear.

Not that it needs to be said. Her name hangs between us like a thick, poisonous cloud! He thought angrily.

“I’m so sorry, Alex.” Liz whispered, her eyes filled with pain and remorse. “I’m so sorry for not knowing. I’m so sorry…” Her voice cracked and she slid her hands away from Alex’s shoulder, instead using them to hug herself. She should have known something was wrong. She should have known that Alex was being mind warped. She should have done something. If she could have figured it out then, then maybe none of this would be happening.

Alex saw her retreat into herself, he saw the haunted look on her face but it was what he felt that made him envelope her into a hug. “Hey, hey…” he soothed. “Stop that. You couldn’t have known. None of you could have known.”

Liz nestled her head on his chest and hugged him tightly, as if trying to ward off all his pain and hers. “But I’m your best friend Alex.” She replied, her voice muffled by his shirt. “I should have known something was off.” She raised her head to look into his eyes, “I knew you were acting strange, with ignoring Isabel and your spacing out. I knew something was off but I never…. I should have known…”

“No one could have known. Not even me.” Alex replied firmly.

“We’re not going to let her get away with this Alex.” Liz said. “We’re going to fix this and makes sure she gets what she deserves.”

Alex nodded, seeing the steel determination in her eyes. “Yes, Ava’s going to pay…” he looked at Liz and suddenly frowned slightly. “Are you still going to try it?” he asked. “Are you going to try dream walk Maria?”

Liz nodded. “Yes. Ava didn’t want them to do that so I’m guessing there lies our solution. So yes, that’s exactly what I’m going to do.”

Just then the door to the bathroom opened and Liz and Alex’s heads shot up. They relaxed when they saw it was only Serena. After locking the door behind her, she paused to give Alex a welcoming smile.

“You okay?” she asked quietly.

Alex nodded, not wanted to bother her right now with his flashes. “I’m fine. Is everything ready?” he asked instead.

Serena nodded. “Yeah. We’re lucky Michael and everyone else just left right now.”

“Left?” Liz asked with confusion. “Where?”

“Don’t know. But Isabel went to talk to Michael and then they followed the others.” Serena told her.

“Well whatever the reason they left, it works for us.” Alex interrupted. “This give us more time to work.”

“Right.” Liz agreed, nodding. She looked from Alex to Serena, giving each a nervous look. “Everyone ready?”

The steady beeping sound of the monitor reverberated through the room, making the room seem oppressing and depressing. A hand reached out cautiously to shut it off. Slowly, the lines and sounds of the monitor faded and disappeared. Serena turned away from the monitor and gave Liz and Alex a silent nod. They didn’t want to take any chances now. If Maria’s heart rate jumped or changed drastically while they were working on her then the nurses might be warned and they couldn’t afford anything to disturb them while Liz and Alex dream walked Maria.

Liz unconsciously gripped Alex’s hand tightly as she stared down the frail looking body of her friend. Alex rubbed soothing circles on the back of her hand, though he himself was shaking.

“You guys ready?” Serena asked quietly, shooting a scrutinizing look at both.

Alex nodded for the both of them. “Yeah.” He managed a small smile. “Let’s go save Maria.”

“I’ll be right here.” Serena reminded them as she went to the window and shut the blinds. Then she took her position by the door to keep watch.

“Hey, you okay?” Alex whispered to Liz to get her attention once they were alone. Liz glanced at Alex before turning back to Maria. She took Maria’s hand in hers and held it for a minute.

“Let’s save Maria.” She echoed softly.

Alex then walked to the other side of the bed and took Maria’s other hand in his. Liz and his eyes met over the bed and she shot him a small, yet brave smile. He nodded in response.

“You sure you can pull me in too?” Alex asked, afraid that Liz might not be able to pull him into Maria’s head and that it would be too much of a strain on her.

“I’m sure.”

Taking a deep breath, Alex and Liz both closed their eyes. Liz immediately felt the pull. In fact she was taken aback slightly by how quickly the connection between her and Maria opened up. Liz smiled inwardly, realizing that it was all due to that close bond they shared…the ones best friends had.

Liz let herself be pulled in, going deeper and deeper. She felt herself floating in a hazy cloud, with mists of colors swirling all around her.

Maria’s aura. Liz realized.

She reached out her hand as she was pulled deeper, trying to touch the swirling, colorful mist but it just slipped through her finger’s, tickling her hand slightly.

Smiling to herself and can not help thinking how much the colors reminded of Maria’s vibrant nature she felt herself stopping. Once the mist and clouds around her cleared out Liz took a look around her.

She blinked once, twice to make sure she wasn’t imagining things. Biting back the laugh that threatened to erupt from her, Liz quickly concentrated on pulling Alex in. Within seconds Alex was standing besides her. For a second, he too could only stare at the surroundings.

“Umm…Liz?” he asked carefully. “What are we doing here?”

Liz chuckled. “I forgot. You weren’t here for this trip.”

Alex’s head swiveled around to look at her in disbelief. “This is that place? This is the place Michael and Maria ended up at?”

Smiling in reminiscence Liz nodded. “Yes.”

“She never told me it was so…so…” Alex struggled to find the appropriate word. Finally he sputtered out, “So kinky!”

Liz laughed, her first real laugh in days. That was just what she had thought when she had seen this place and this was only from the outside. Alex had yet to see the rooms inside the motel.

“According to Maria it was like the porno version of Aladdin.” Liz chortled.

“I’m going to have a talk with Maria when we are through with this!” Alex said in mock annoyance. Then he smiled a little. “She must have freaked!”

“You don’t know the half of it!” Liz said rolling her eyes. She began walking towards the motel. “Come on. I think I know where to go.”

Alex followed her up the rickety stairs and past several dirty, dull green doors. “Where are we going Liz?” he asked her as she moved along, not even glancing at the rooms.

“To the room Maria spent the night in with Michael.” Liz replied.

“How do you know that it’s the where we’re supposed to go?” Alex asked.

“I don’t.” Liz replied, shrugging slightly. She stopped abruptly in front of a non descript room and turned to Alex. “This is it.”

Alex gave the shut door a hesitant look. “What’s behind it?” he asked.

Liz gave the door a long, observing look before she reached for the doorknob. “Let’s find out.” She replied, pushing the door open.

As soon as the door opened the thumping beat of music filled the air. Stepping through the door, which closed behind them automatically, they could feel the air change. It turned from a cool night to a hot and humid one. Everywhere they looked they saw kids their age dancing to the loud beat. Bodies gyrated and swayed in time with the music and Liz and Alex stood in the center looking about them.

“It’s the soap box factory.” Alex reminded Liz. “This was where we got arrested.”

“I remember.” Liz answered, looking around the familiar place. “But what are we doing here?”

“Don’t ask me.” Alex replied, holding up his hands. Suddenly his head swiveled sharply to the right. He thought he had seen Maria among all the people but he couldn’t be sure.

“Alex?”

Alex turned to look back at Liz who was looking confused. “Did you see her?”

“Maybe.” Alex murmured. He began to head in the direction he had seen Maria go off to and Liz followed him. Alex and Liz shoved their way through the crowd, finding it difficult to get through. The crowd was going the opposite way and Alex and Liz were finding it difficult to push their way through the huge crowd.

Finally, they reached the back where there was only a few kids lingering about. Alex scanned the area, carefully observing everyone there. His gaze lingered on a girl with blonde hair and was wearing a red dress. She looked so much like Isabel that he had to remind himself that this was Maria’s head so it wasn’t possible for Isabel to be there. He continued his careful scan when he felt that he might have lost her. Suddenly Liz grabbed onto his hand, tugging it furiously.

“There!” Liz cried out, pointing towards a secluded area that led outside to the dessert. Liz began to hurry towards the area she was pointing and Alex followed. But the further they went; the more everything around them began to change. Slowly the walls around them began to turn a cream color, with drawings of aliens on them. As they walked further, the partygoers also began to fade, being replaced by people sitting in booths and tables and chairs.

Pretty soon, the entire place had converted itself into the Crash Down. Liz glanced at Alex to see his reaction and saw he wasn’t that surprised by the change or the place.

Alex nodded his head towards a table in the back. “There’s our table.” He said.

“It’s vacant.” Liz said a bit disappointed. She had hoped Max would be sitting there. She let her gaze wander around the café, taking in the crowd and the familiar activity. She felt her heart ache for it, for the routine she was so used to. She longed to have her life back. Almost as if reading her thoughts, Alex’s hands snaked around her shoulders for a quick comforting squeeze.

“Soon.” He promised. “Very soon.”

Liz smiled gratefully at him as his hands dropped back down. She nodded her acknowledgement at him, not needing any words. “I know where she is.” She said abruptly, when the information hit her suddenly.

“I do too.” Alex replied, getting it at the same time as her. His eyes went to the back room and he and Liz both began to walk there. They reached the door and paused, both hands held up in mid air, ready to push the door open. They knew she was there, they knew she was waiting. Taking a deep breath Liz turned to catch Alex’s eye and gave him a small encouraging smile. Alex nodded and smiled back. Then together they opened the door and walked through.

For a spilt second they didn’t see anyone, they were only hit by the intense amount of power the room held and then their eyes settled on Maria. She was sitting in the corner chair, her chin in her hands, staring out a window. Liz briefly registered the fact that there was no window that looked out in real life but she figured that was Maria’s addition. She wondered if she should say something, that if she should announce their arrival because Maria still had her back to them, seemingly unaware of them. Just as she was about to speak up, Maria turned around gave them a smile that didn’t entirely reach her eyes.

“I’ve been waiting.” She said.

“Maria…” Liz breathed out her name in partial relief and partial shock. She could practically feel the energy that was in the room and was surrounding Maria. She couldn’t see it but it crackled with power, stirring rumblings in her.

“Is that…” Alex began, trying to put into words the power he was feeling.

“Yeah.” Liz cut him off with a nod, her eyes turned sharp, cold. “Yeah, that’s the barrier Ava put up.”

“It’s strong, isn’t it?” Maria asked from her spot. She looked around her, at the invisible barrier that held her captive in her own mind. She put her hand out and pushed lightly. Instantly a red light shot vertically down, just in front of her hand, indicating the limit of the barrier. “Too strong…” Maria murmured. She let her hand drop, the light vanishing, and turned to look at Liz and Alex’s stunned faces. They hadn’t expected it to be this powerful.

“I’ve tried to breach it myself but I can’t. At least not without any powers.” Maria explained. She titled her head and regarded Alex and Liz with worried eyes. “You can do this, cant you?”

Liz nodded nervously, and Alex shot her a hesitant look.

“How are we going to bring this down?” he asked Liz. “How can we fight such power?”

“With the only weapons Ava doesn’t have.” Liz replied, already moving forward, a calm expression in place.

“Which are?” Alex asked.

Maria, who had been watching Liz with quiet, observing eyes smiled softly as it struck her. “Love, friendship…something Ava doesn’t have.”

Liz nodded, stopping just in front of the barrier. “Something she’ll never have.” Liz replied with cold determination. She held out her hand much like Maria had done and touched the invisible barrier. Again the weird, red light appeared before her hand. Her eyes traveled upwards, seeing the light disappear through the roof.

Alex eyed Liz nervously. He took in her calm features, almost unfeeling coldness and slow calculated moves. It made him nervous.

“Liz?” he asked hesitantly.

“I’m okay, Alex.” Liz replied instantly. She let her hand drop and turned to give him a reassuring smile. It calmed him a bit to see some semblance of her normal self in her eyes and yet the look disturbed him. “I was just…thinking.” She replied with an odd smile.

Alex and Maria both this time looked at Liz with doubt. She was acting very strangely all of a sudden.

“I think I know what to do.” Liz told them, unaware of the concerned look that had passed between her two friends. She motioned Alex over. “We need to hit this with our connection. Connections bring with it memories, feelings, loyalties. That’s what’ll break this. Our strengths combined together with our love.”

“You sure it will work?” Maria asked, for the first time nervous.

Liz smiled a little, a smile that held no real mirth. “Ava’s not as indestructible as she thinks.”

Not really wanting to know what that really meant, Alex quickly placed his hand on the wall and Maria did the same. Again the red light flared, this time pulsing as it sensed the bond already emanating from Maria and Alex. They both turned to look at Liz who still had the odd smile on her face.

“Ready Liz?” Alex asked.

Liz nodded, stepping up and placing her hand next to Alex’s. The moment her hand touched the barrier, the pulsing light intensified. It writhed and flickered under the bond Liz was already projecting towards it. Alex and Maria both felt the pull when Liz closed her eyes and began to throw images, memories, and feelings at the wall.

She took Maria, Alex and her own energies and threw everything she could think of at it, hoping to break it down. The light pulsed as if in agony, growing darker, then lighter before flaring up again. On and on it continued, more and more Liz pushed. Maria could feel Liz grow weaker so she tried to add her own strength to Liz through their bond. Alex helped intensify it as they all concentrated on their bond.

For a while it didn’t seem to be doing anything but then it slowly began to fade and they could feel the power draining from it. They could feel the power ebb with each passing image, almost like the images Liz sent to it were absorbing it’s power. As Alex and Maria watched Liz use their bond, they felt awe and part fear at the extent to which her powers seemed to be growing. But Liz was barely aware of anything except her main aim. She didn’t care if she was draining, or that she was lashing out her anger at the barrier that held Maria, all she could focus on was that Ava had done this and that she had to be stopped. If this was the first step, then she would make sure that it was a steady one.

The anger she had buried inside her now bubbled to the top along with the power. Each burst; each aim was now shoved fiercely at the barrier. She didn’t pause to think that Alex and Maria could feel what she was feeling, especially when they were connected like this; she didn’t pause to consider where her thoughts were taking her. All she could think was that this had to end. One way or another, she had to end this.

And then, suddenly, the barrier shattered before them. The red light dispersed and disappeared, the power slowly evaporating away. Liz opened her eyes, finally aware how tired she was and how much out of breath. Looking over at Alex and Maria she saw that they, too, were panting hard, tired by the ordeal yet there was satisfaction on their faces.

“You did it!” Maria said, offering them a smile. She reached out her hand and where she would have been met with a wall before, she now met air. With a strangled sob, she steeped forward and towards Alex and Liz. “You did it!”

“No.” Liz replied with a soft smile at her. “We did it.”

“Together.” Alex added.

He wanted to go to Maria and hug her, to hold her close and revel in their temporary safety but something inside him warned against doing so. Something told him that if he touched Maria she would know. So, reluctantly, he stepped back and inconspicuously pulled Liz back as well. Liz glanced at him and suddenly understood.

Turning back to Maria she smiled at her, trying not to notice the puzzlement and hurt in Maria’s eyes.

“We have to go ‘Ria.” Liz said.

“Liz…” Maria began. “Don’t leave just yet, please!”

But both Liz and Alex were already backing away. “We love you, remember that all right?” Alex told her softly.

Blind panic and desperation came into Maria’s eyes as she tried to get them to stay for a while longer. “Please, just stay…I need you…God, there is so much I want to talk to you about…I – I miss you…” she sobbed.

“I miss you too, Maria.” Liz replied, her own tears pooling in her eyes. “But we really do have to go.”

“Why?” Maria cried.

“We can’t stay, Maria.” Alex told her gently, his own heart crying out in anguish and revolt. “Take care of yourself, okay? We’re very near…” he bit his lip, wondering if he should say anything and then decided to. “Maria, keep following the leads. You’re almost there…”

“What?” Maria asked bewildered. “What do you mean, Alex?”

“Just…just have faith, Maria.” Liz said. Then she began to pull herself and Alex out.

“Wait, Liz! Alex!” they heard Maria cry out. “What do you mean?”

But Liz firmly pulled herself an Alex out. When they opened their eyes, once more in the hospital room, Liz realized that there were tears on her cheek. Glancing at Alex she gave him a watery smile.

“She’s going to be okay.” She whispered.

Alex nodded, picking up Maria’s hand and turning it over. Squeezing it gently, he replied, “Yeah, I think she is.”

Just then Maria began to stir and Liz and Alex tensed. She opened her eyes a bit and thought she saw Liz and Alex standing next to her bed. Where am I? Is that…? She wondered blearily. But everything was so blurry and she felt so tired.

“Liz?” she managed to choke out of her parched throat. “Alex?”

Gentle hands pushed back her hair and she heard a voice, so much like Liz’s, whisper, “Go back to sleep Maria and rest. It’ll all be over soon. Ava will pay…”

Ava? What is she talking about? She wondered. But before she could make more sense of it, her eyes dropped down and she felt herself being pulled back to sleep.

TBC....
FallenMagic
Addicted Roswellian

Shadows -- Part 80

Post by FallenMagic »

Author's Note: Here I am! :P Sorry I made you wait so long, I'm not fond of having such large pauses between posting but RL can suck :roll: Anyhow, unfortunately after this chapter might be another long wait since I've got a major final exam on Tuesday, so I might not be able to write the next chapter this week. I'll try to though since I want it up on Tuesday or before if I can. Meanwhile, enjoy Part 80...and as always, tell me what you think.

Part 80

The silence in the car was thick with questions and worry. Max could feel the tension in his shoulders as he gripped the steering wheel, staring straight ahead. Tess was sitting next to him, her legs pulled up, a lost expression on her face as she stared out the window.

It had started raining by the time they had left the Parker’s house and now had turned into a steady downpour. The dark, gloomy weather somehow seemed appropriate right now, as if it matched their mood. Max glanced over at Tess, his jaw tightening when he remembered what she had said.

What had she meant by that? How did she know that they were here? Who were they anyway? Skins? Kivar? The FBI? They had so many enemies; where did they even begin?

Asking Tess, demanding answers from her hadn’t helped. She kept insisting she didn’t know, that she couldn’t tell them. Didn’t…couldn’t…she kept alternating between them, as if she herself wasn’t sure which one it was. No amount of questioning could get her to tell them.

“I don’t know…” she had whispered through her tears, the tremors still racking her body.

“Tess, there must be something…anything!” Michael had asked, running a frustrated hand through his hair.

She had shaken her head, her face upturned towards them as she pleaded silently for them to understand. They all saw the combination of fear, anger, hatred and confusion in her eyes as she let out a strangled sob. “I can’t…please…I can’t!”

When Tess had finally broken down, the fear and desolation obvious on her face, Kyle had stepped in, demanding this interrogation to be stopped. He wanted to take her home, insisting she had to rest. The others had reluctantly agreed. After a heated argument between Max and Kyle, it was decided that Max would take her home.

Now, on their way, Max kept glancing at Tess, wanting to ask her so many of the questions that were running around in his head yet he didn’t know how to start. Tess felt him shift and she could feel his occasional quick looks, and she knew he wanted to talk, that he needed to. Yet she didn’t feel like it. All she wanted to do was curl up in a safe place and sleep. She wanted to wash this tiredness away from her body; she wanted this ache in her head to go away. She just wanted some peace.

She didn’t know why she couldn’t answer the other’s questions. She didn’t know how she just knew about their enemies being in town and it disturbed her to feel the chilling fear that accompanied that knowledge. They were here and they were dangerous.

How long had they been here? Why were they here? Had they already made contact with one of them without any one being aware of it? She didn’t know the answers to any of those questions and yet she felt fear, intense fear. She couldn’t place her finger on it, but she felt that there was so much more to her reaction than just the idea of them being in danger. That didn’t explain why she felt angry and frustrated. Like there was this knowledge just out of reach.

Her hand unconsciously went to her stomach as she racked her brain for her answers. But she knew they wouldn’t come…at least not yet.

She closed her eyes and let out a silent prayer for help. She didn’t realise what she had prayed for, until it was already done. With a jolt she realised that she had just wished for Liz to be here. She was surprised by the sincerity of that prayer, by the pain she felt at the thought of both Alex and Liz gone. They could have helped, she knew. Liz would have figured this out.

Then she remembered that she was carrying Max’s child. She looked down at her stomach and her hand resting on top of it. She wondered if Liz would have refused to help because of this. But then Tess smiled sadly to herself. No she wouldn’t, because Liz would always help her friends, regardless of how much it hurt her. That thought, brought with it a memory.

Tess recalled a night when Liz had shown up and told Tess that if she wanted to win Max over, she would need her help. Tess remembered with vague amusement that she had refused her help at first, insisting she could win Max on her own. At that time she had chalked her refusal to take help from Liz as pride, but now she knew the real reason. She simply hadn’t wanted it. She finally realised and accepted the fact that had not Liz come and interrupted that moment between Kyle and her, she would have moved on…to Kyle.

Kyle. She thought with fondness and some pain. He had moved on to Liz. But she didn’t get why or how. It didn’t seem right. So many things don’t seem right… she mused.

She needed to talk to someone about it, she realised. She wanted to share her pain and grief. She looked over at Max and pondered over talking to him. He should be able to understand, wouldn’t he? They were both in the same boat after all. They had been through the same heartache and same problems. He would understand, she concluded. Plus, she felt this need to tell him what had really happened.

Unsure how to begin she turned to look at Max waiting for him to look at her. Max felt her gaze but hesitated in turning to look at her. He didn’t know how or why but suddenly he felt nervous. He wasn’t sure he wanted to hear what she wanted to tell him and he knew she wanted to talk.

When he refused to turn to look and acknowledge her Tess touched his knee lightly. She knew he was avoiding her. She knew he knew she needed to tell him something he might not want to hear.

“Max…” she said softly, her voice pleading yet hesitant.

Max let out a shaky breath as he suddenly began to pull towards an empty parking lot. He slowed down the car, finally pulling to a stop. He shut of the car, though he let the engine run so that the wipers could move back and forth over the window. He also turned the heater up a little.

She watched him fiddle, knowing he was stalling. But she waited patiently, allowing him to take his time. Finally when he had gathered up enough courage, he turned to look at her. He smiled a little at her yet she read the wariness in his eyes.

“I take you want to talk.” He said.

She nodded slowly, not taking her eyes off him as she assessed the situation. Was he ready? Would it be too much for him? Would it matter? Finally, coming to a conclusion, she let out a long breath she hadn’t known she had been holding.

“Max…I need to tell you…” she began, her eyes turned to watch the gentle swishing of the wipers back and forth.

Max stiffened at the tone of her voice. She sounded tired, apologetic and maybe even sad. When she turned to meet his eyes he sucked in his breath. He knew what this was about. He could read it in her eyes. This was about Liz. Suddenly he wasn’t sure he wanted to hear this. He didn’t know what this was about but he wanted to tell her to stop before she even began. He wanted to tell her he didn’t want to know whatever she felt compelled to tell him. Because that’s exactly how she felt…compelled, he could read in on her face. But he held his tongue, letting her continue.

“She came to me that night…” Tess whispered, her eyes once more dropping to her clasped hands in her lap. She couldn’t get herself to meet his eyes for some reason.

Max didn’t need to ask who ‘she’ was or which night Tess was talking about. He already knew.

“Out of the blue…there she was standing on my door step, telling me she wanted to help me.”

Max watched her talk, an odd, choked lump lodged in his throat. He wanted to ask about what but found he couldn’t. He didn’t need to ask as Tess herself continued.

“She told me that if I wanted to…to win you over…” Tess swallowed the bitter taste in her mouth as she said that. “She said that she could help me. She told me I had no other way but to allow her to help because other wise I’d never be able to do it. I’d never be able to get you away from her.” Tess raised her eyes to meet his closed off ones. “I don’t know why she did it, I don’t know why she wanted to help me…but there was a desperateness about her that night. As if she was defeated and had no choice. It was like something had made her see how futile it would for you two….for you two…” she trailed off unable to finish that sentence.

“For us to be together…” Max finished for her. Tess nodded.

Max was shocked Liz had done that. That she gone to Tess offering her help just to keep him away from her. It hurt him to know she would go to such lengths, but then he had known hadn’t he. He had known that when he had met Tess that night, it hadn’t been any accident that she was wearing that shirt and she was reading that book. But still it hurt…it hurt like hell. Yet, even then he didn’t know why she did it. Didn’t fully believe her argument of wanting a normal life. Somehow none of it ringed true.

“Why’d she do it, Tess?” he asked hoarsely. “Why go to such lengths?”

Tess bit her lip, shaking her head. “I don’t know Max but something was up that night…”

“The things she said, the things she did…” Max said more to himself than Tess, “They just don’t make sense. Why would she do that?”

“I don’t know.” Tess answered honestly. She took a deep breath before going on. “But, that’s not the only thing I wanted to tell you.”

Max turned to look at her, confusion marring his features.

“I…I’ve been having…well you could call them memory lapses.” Tess told him.

“Memory lapses?” Max asked with worry and puzzlement.

Tess nodded. “Yes, sometimes…sometimes I can’t seem to remember clearly what I did last night, or where I was…” she paused, a frown on her face. “I know this sounds weird but I can’t explain it…”

“When did this start happening?” Max asked.

Tess shook her head. “I’m not sure…”

“Okay, do you know when you first noticed this?” Max tried.

Tess thought back before nodding slightly. “Around the time I found out I was pregnant.” She replied.

“Why didn’t you tell me before?” Max asked, shock lining his features. “What if this is hurting the baby?”

“Well, at first I wasn’t sure what was going on. I thought it was just me but then it got worse and there was no appropriate time to tell you…” Tess trailed of, knowing Max knew what she was talking about.

Max did know. With Tess’s health and then Michael and Maria, they hadn’t had a chance to talk openly. “What about the baby, Tess?” Max asked. “Do you think this is because of him?”

Tess frowned and bit her lip. “That where this get weird…”

“What do you mean?”

Tess shifted in her seat till she was facing Max. “Well…something doesn’t seem right, with the baby I mean.”

Instantly Max bolted up right, his eyes filled with worry. “What do you mean? Is he okay?”

“Yes, he’s fine. That’s not what I meant.” Tess replied, soothing him. “What I mean is that…” she sighed in frustration. “This is going to sound insane but…Max something doesn’t feel right…it just seems…well, wrong for us to be having this child…”

Tess wrung her hands, unsure how to put into words what she was feeling. She placed her hand on her stomach, not wanting to see Max’s face. She didn’t want him to think she hated this. That she had never wanted this. How could she let him think that when she was basically responsible for breaking his and Liz’s relationship in the first place? And it wasn’t like she didn’t want this baby. She did, no matter how much the situation worried her; she was beginning to love the life growing inside her. But still, something felt out of place, like it wasn’t supposed to happen.

It wasn’t supposed to be this way. She thought, forcing back the tears lodged in her throat.

Max sat quietly; taking in what she said and feeling worry flutter inside him. He understood what Tess was saying. To be truthful he was feeling it too. Yet he didn’t understand how.

“Why, Tess?” Max asked softly, out of the blue.

“Why what?” she asked, puzzled yet knowing deep down where this was going.

“Why are we doing this?” he asked, looking at her with sad confusion. “We both don’t want this. I know you don’t. So why are we forcing this?”

Tess sat back in shock for a moment. She hadn’t really expected Max to pick up on her feelings. “It’s not that I don’t want this, Max because I do…” she began carefully. “It’s just…it’s just that…” She sighed in frustration when she couldn’t find the words or the courage to go on.

“Just what?” Max prodded.

Tess looked up from her hands to Max, her face helpless. “It’s not the way I pictured my life would be. At least not after Nasedo died.” She shrugged. “When I was with Nasedo, he kept telling me what my destiny was, that it was my only goal, to be your Queen. I didn’t have any identity, no say in what I wanted. Once he died…well I woke up, I guess. I saw that destiny isn’t laid out for us. We can choose our paths in life and still be happy, still make the right choice. These past few months…” She stopped, shaking her head as she struggled to swallow back her tears. Max laid a gentle hand on her knee, encouraging her to go on.

She took a deep, shaky breath before she continued. “These past few months have been an eye opener for me. I realised that I could lead my life however I wanted to. Nasedo and destiny had no hold on me. I wasn’t bound to you or anyone else. I was, for once, my own person.” She looked down to her stomach, placing a gentle hand on it. “But then we…well…you know…” She looked up at him with an embarrassed smile. “And I got pregnant with this baby of ours. I guess this just makes me feel that someone else is once again controlling my life for me. And after so many months of freedom, it just unsettles me.”

“Then why are you doing this?” Max asked gently. “Why are you binding yourself to me when you know that neither I nor you really love each other?”

Tess knew that should have hurt, to be told that Max wasn’t in love with her but oddly that only brought relief with it. There was no pain, no hurt. Okay so maybe just a little, but that was probably her ego.

She understood what Max was saying but how could she just walk away? It was his child too; he deserved to get to know him too.

“Maybe because it’s our only option.” Tess replied after a moment’s silence.

Max shook his head. “Since when? Who says we have to be together to raise this child? Who says we have to be bound by this?”

“What else can we do, Max?” Tess cried, “We don’t have a choice!”

“Yes, we do.” Max answered. “We were friends before this Tess and we can still be after this. Nothing has to change. I’m still going to be there for you, I’m still going to be your friend. Who says that has to change?”

“Were we friends, Max?” Tess asked, looking at him sharply. “Were we really?”

“Yes.” He answered honestly. “You were there for me when I needed a friend, you were there when no one else was. Of course you were my friend.” He looked at her, his eyes open and honest. “And now you need me. You don’t need a lover or a husband; you need a friend. I’m that friend!”

That statement brought tears to her eyes. It also brought with it relief. “Thank you, Max.” she whispered. She leaned forward to give him a hug and he held on to her tightly, letting the new relationship between them settle.

Finally she let go and gave a teary laugh. “We would never have done well together.”

“We’d drive each other up the wall.” Max agreed with a grin.

“Yeah…”

The sat there in silence for a while before Max spoke again. This time his voice was light, almost teasing. “So, you and Kyle huh?” he asked with a side-glance at her.

“What?” Tess exclaimed, blushing faintly. “What are you talking about?”

“Isn’t it obvious?” he asked with a smirk.

“There is nothing between me and Kyle, Max!” Tess protested.

“You’re in with love him, aren’t you?” he asked.

Tess considered lying but then nodded. “Yeah…I guess I am.” She answered. Her tone turned sad as she turned to look out the window. “Unfortunately he doesn’t feel the same way.”

Max didn’t say anything as he regarded her. He doubted Kyle wasn’t in love with her. If the way he looked at her was any indication, there was defiantly something between them. He hoped they would work things out before it was too late.

Max started the car and began to make his way back to the Valenti house. Now that everything was behind them, he turned his mind to matters that were bothering him. Namely what Tess had meant back in Liz’s room. He was considering asking her again when his cell phone rang.

He quickly picked it up. “Hello?”

“Max!” he heard Isabel’ frantic, yet joyous voice.

“Isabel?” Max asked, unsure why she sounded so out of breath. Tess glanced at Max, wondering what was wrong.

“Max, come back to the hospital. Quick!” Isabel told him.

“What happened?” Max asked, instantly feeling worry clouding his senses. Did Maria’s condition worsen? Then why was Isabel so happy?

“Nothing’s wrong!” Isabel cried. “It’s great news. Max, Maria’s awake!”

TBC.....