Roswell Plot Holes?

This forum is for all general Roswell stuff. That means, general book and show discussion.

Moderators: Anniepoo98, ISLANDGIRL5, Forum Moderators

BlueCherokee
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Roswell Plot Holes?

Post by BlueCherokee »

I have been watching the episodes again (for the 4th time or so now) and I just realized a few weeks ago that I have never completely known the entire background story. By "background" I mean the motivations behind the actions of the other aliens. Such as The Skins, the "renegade" Skins, Kivar, Naseto and even Tess. We all hear that Kivar wants "Valandra" back and for Max/Zan to be killed and to continue his rule and some of the skins are helping him do that (while Nicholas is probably secretly plotting against Kivar to gain the throne) either way there are MANY questions that I have that make me wonder if there are accidental plot holes. For example:

~WHY were the "Royal Four" sent to Earth?
~WHY didn't Kivar simply just kill the other three and bring back Valandra?
~WHY was Naseto plotting against the aliens, but warned Max in his last breath of the skins?
~What "deals" were made between the "protectors", "The Skins" and Kivar?
~The Skins came to Earth in the year 1950 - HOW did they get to Earth, but were only able to leave through the Granilith?

These are just some of my questions that I have yet to answer.

I don't mean to sound obsessed, but frankly I don't really care at this point. I think Jason Katims is brilliant and did an awesome job on the show, really, but did he make some mistakes?
jake17
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: Roswell Plot Holes?

Post by jake17 »

OK I'm not really sure if this is fits into the category of plot holes but I always HATED this sloppy mistake...

Remember when Riverdog and MIchael are running in the woods, and Riverdog falls and twists his ankle?

Michael reaches down and heals him... :shock: ok isn't Max the only one that is supposed to be able to have that power??

That was such a huge blunder to me... it's not like its a little detail... its the entire reason why LIz is alive and the show began! :roll:

Max can heal!

Is it just me, or did this piss any one else off... :?

Carrie

"Doubt thou the stars are fire; Doubt that the sun doth move; Doubt truth to be a liar; But never doubt I love."

Hamlet, by William Shakespeare
jake17
Obsessed Roswellian

Post by jake17 »

ooh I almost forgot this one...

ok maybe I just need this explained to me...

Why the hell did Nasedo pretend to be Max and kidnap Liz?

OK i'm guessing it was to draw out agent Pierce so he could kill him BUT didn't he think for a second that Max would go after her and thus get caught by the frigging alien hunters??? :roll:

Then once Max is caught he is right there helping them? WTF? he wouldn't have even been there without his doing... :shock:

He acted like he was their enemy and could care less about them but in the second season it was all "Your the KIng" and with the warnings about the skins ...

none of this made sense to me...

but once again it could've just flew over my head ... as most things tend to do :wink: :lol:

if anyone knows the answer to this please let me know...

Carrie :)

"Doubt thou the stars are fire; Doubt that the sun doth move; Doubt truth to be a liar; But never doubt I love."

Hamlet, by William Shakespeare
RoswellOracle
Addicted Roswellian

Post by RoswellOracle »

Oh yes, BlueCherokee, mistakes were made, and there were MANY plot holes. I can answer these to a certain degree, but not all of the backgroud story was explained, and some just didn't make much sense.
~WHY were the "Royal Four" sent to Earth?
~WHY didn't Kivar simply just kill the other three and bring back Valandra?
~WHY was Naseto plotting against the aliens, but warned Max in his last breath of the skins?
~What "deals" were made between the "protectors", "The Skins" and Kivar?
~The Skins came to Earth in the year 1950 - HOW did they get to Earth, but were only able to leave through the Granilith?

The royal 4 were killed on their planet in the war when Khivar was trying to take over. They were sent to Earth to be reborn and come back and save their planet.

Supposedly Nasdeo made a deal with Khivar to hand over the granolith and the royal four after Tess got pregnant. What Nasedo got out of this it is never really said. But maybe he was promised he wouldn't be killed, or money, or power.

My question always was, why didn't Nasedo just hand over the pods and granolith when they first made the deal instead of waiting 50 years until they hatched, grew up, and got Tess pregnant? Maybe there never was a deal. Maybe Tess just made that part up. Or maybe she made the deal and lied about Nasedo.

It would make more sense of why Nasedo would warn them about the Skins. Because if he was working with them, why did Whitaker kill him?

As for how the Skins got to Earth, that was never said either. I always assumed there was a ship. Maybe they were told if they left without the granolith they would be killed. Or maybe the ship was somehow disabled and wouldn't work again without the granolith?
Last edited by RoswellOracle on Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The world is full of stories, and from time to time,
they permit themselves to be told - Prey

RoswellOracle.com - The most comprehensive Roswell reference & archive
My Stories ~ My Roswell Store ~ My Roswell Archive

Check out Roswell Heaven!
RoswellOracle
Addicted Roswellian

Post by RoswellOracle »

Carrie, that thing about Michael always bugged me too. Okay, he heals Riverdog's broken ankle, fine. Maybe he can heal simple things. But then in the epi 'Independence Day' he can't heal his own black eye and asks Max to do it. huh? He forgot he could heal. lol

Nasedo said he pretended to be Max and took Liz to lure Pierce. He said Liz was insurance. For what I am not sure. Liz said Pierce would just kill her, and Nasdeo said, 'well there's a thought'. So maybe he was trying to get her killed to keep her away from Max?

I know of lot of these things you just have to put down to the writing in the show, trying to make it more suspenseful.

Nasedo did act very weirdly when he first got to town, sending messages and burning pics. Why not tell Max who he was right away instead of pertending to be Ed Harding? Couldn't he protect them better if they knew who he was? And if there was a deal with Khivar, shouldn't he be trying to get Max and the others to trust him instead of acting all creepy?

Misha
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Misha »

Oh, you mean you've never read the CHAD list?? The 700+ Continuity Holes and/or Annoying Discrepancies that the fans put together back when Roswell was on the air? :lol:

Though many of your questions are addressed in Kathy W's The Shapeshifter Series, which you can find in the Alternative Universe section. They are completely canon, but since they are prequels, they have to be there. She's a genius though, putting it all together to explain their Antar origins and what happened when the ship crashed, when the Skins came, the Rebels, how the Dupes ended up in NY City, etc, etc, etc. You can find the Fifth book (which has the links to all the other four) here: http://www.roswellfanatics.net/viewtopi ... 35&t=20866

Jake17, I always assumed that they could all heal to some degree. Tess heals Max's cheek in Ask Not, and Isabel checks for injuries on Michael on that same episode. However, only Max can heal much more advance injuries -like a bullet hole- or illnesses, like cancer, yet he was unable to heal Grandma Claudia from a severe stroke. Think of it as drawing. We can all draw, it doesn't mean we are any good at it ;)

Regarding Michael in ID, Michael does say he "tried to fix it but..." obviously failed. Maybe healing a broken bone is nothing like healing a black eye. Or maybe Michael just wasn't in the right state of mind, like he couldn't focus as well on himself than he did with River Dog. Add to that the circumstances about how he got the black eye and how miserable he was feeling as well...

I always thought The NasedoPact was made out of necessity than anything else, and that Nasedo himself never intended to follow it. Plus, forty years is a looooong time, and too many things could have happened. And, the only source we have that this ever happened is one line from Tess. I'm not saying she made it up, just that maybe she didn't have all the facts to begin with. She wasn't around when it happened, after all :P

The truth is, there are huge unexplained things in the show. Can they be explained? Sure, sometimes with a lot of imagination, but unfortunately, we don't have much to go when it comes to canon.
"There's addiction, and there's Roswell!"
dreambeliever
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by dreambeliever »

Misha wrote: Regarding Michael in ID, Michael does say he "tried to fix it but..." obviously failed. Maybe healing a broken bone is nothing like healing a black eye. Or maybe Michael just wasn't in the right state of mind, like he couldn't focus as well on himself than he did with River Dog. Add to that the circumstances about how he got the black eye and how miserable he was feeling as well...
I always thought it was becuase he wasn't very good at controlling his powers.....like when he said "tried to fix it but..." meant he tried but ended up turning his face blue or something...lol. There were always many references about how Michael was not very controlled with his powers so.....
Anyways just a thought.
RoswellOracle
Addicted Roswellian

Post by RoswellOracle »

I was a CHADD back in the day, and reposted the CHAD list in my Roswell archive if anyone is interested. - http://www.roswelloracle.com/chaddslist.html.

Kathy W isn't the only one who wrote a story explaining that time. There were plenty of fics once upon a time about the alien's past life and journey to Earth.
I even wrote one myself that focused on trying to clear up as many CHAD as possible. You can find it here - viewtopic.php?t=8887

killjoy
Roswell Fanatic

Post by killjoy »

Hmmmm well for me the BIGGEST one has always been Wipe Out. :roll:

You mean to tell me a whole freaking town folk vanish but than show back up after hours have passed and NO ONE in the town notices that hours have gone by ?! :roll:

What they should have done was that when Maria removed the rod time reverted back to the same second the rod was put in and no one but the hybrids who never vanished could remember any of it.
RoswellOracle
Addicted Roswellian

Post by RoswellOracle »

That always bugged me too, Killjoy. Everyone is in the Crashdown still 'eating' breakfast, and amazingly somehow it is now dinnertime. :lol: Not to mention all the car crashes and other accidents. Maybe they just crack it up to living in Roswell. :D

One of my biggest problems is the crash itself.

Liz saw in her vision in Sexual Healing that a ship flew through our solar system and crashed on Earth. But we know an alien ship was here on Earth collecting DNA to make the pod squad in 1936. That is when Laurie Dupree's grandfather was kidnapped. And we know the ship with the pods crashed in 1947.

So were there two ships? One that came earlier and collected DNA and another that brought the pods and crashed? Or was it the same ship that collected the DNA and then later crashed in 1947, and the vision that Liz had was from different snatches of memory at different times?

Not to mention that the Granolith was never reported as being in the crash. The government collected 4 aliens, 2 dead and 2 alive, one communication orb, and the 2 sacks that contained the 8 pods. No one said a word about the Granolith. So it must have been put in the pod chamber before the crash, and how did that happen if the ship came straight to Earth and crash? :?