Preternatural Curses UC/Adult

Like to Roswell Role Play? Like to roleplay for other shows too? Like writing fic, but want to write with others and play off their writing? Then you'll like this place

Moderators: Anniepoo98, ISLANDGIRL5, Forum Moderators

StormWolfstone
Roswell Fanatic

Post by StormWolfstone »

We need posts for Liz and Maria please!! Thanks for the Tess post M!!

~~Isabel~~

I can see that Mista has already made her way to the Parker's campsite, but I don't care if it seems rude if I interrupt. As I told my brother, I decided that I would go and and see whether they wanted to join us for a small cook out, figuring that if once I asked them, I would go and ask Alex.

Walking over I greeted, "Hello, Mr. Parker." I smiled at Liz's father pleasantly before turning to look at Liz and Maria, "Max and I were wondering if all of you would like to join us for a small barbecue? We have burger's going on the grille now."
A List of All My Fics

My Avatar is an amazing Thai actor named Earth, he also goes by Cooheart and the BL's he acts in inspire writing.
isabelle
Roswell Fanatic

Post by isabelle »

*MAX*

I deliberately turn and start to rifle through our cooler to find the burgers and stuff, not wanting to watch as Isabel does what I want to do - go talk to Liz. Well, she'll be talking to Maria and Mr. Parker, too, but Liz is the one on my mind. I swore I would take a step back, but it's so hard.

"Mud," I say to myself as I pull the food from the cooler. Gotta keep my mind on something else. I'm suprised to see that Dad packed ten burgers and a pack of eight hotdogs. That just might be enough for this first night with everyone here - although I think the cupboard will be bare tomorrow.

"Dad," I call to him.

"Almost done, Max," he says from inside the tent.

"Isabel has gone to invite the Whitmans and the Parkers to share dinner with us," I tell him. I put the meat on the grill, and watch it.

Dad comes out of the tent a moment later with the lanterns. "That sounds like fun," he says as he starts to light them. "I guess you two really have become 'joiners'." he says with a smile.

"That's right," I tell him, sneaking a glance at Isabel and the Parkers. I wonder just how awkward this is going to be.

Last edited by isabelle on Sat Sep 11, 2004 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KatnotKath
Roswell Fanatic

Post by KatnotKath »

OOC: sorry this has taken so long, hope it's ok for you guys

~Liz~

Ok, it’s not that I don’t love my dad, but he’s really not getting the message about me growing up… I know that I used to love the parent/child camping trip from school, but really…spending the weekend in a tent with my dad is getting to be kinda awkward and I was hoping that he was going to give up on it this year… Unfortunately he hasn’t, which is why I’m stood here in the cold helping to set up camp. Of course Maria’s here too…I had to bribe her to come along, but at least it means there’s someone to act as a buffer between dad and I… He’s asking way too many questions at the moment and how I would have coped with a weekend along with him I really don’t know…

“Stupid Father kid camping week…”

I look over as I hear Maria muttering, I just know I’m not going to hear the end of this… I’m gonna owe her one big time…

I look over to where Alex is setting up camp with his dad too… You know if I hadn’t seen it with my own two eyes I would never have believed I’d see Alex camping… It’s not that he’s not practical, but more in a technological sense… Seeing Alex around all this nature somehow seems strange… Of course it doesn’t take much to work out why he’s here…and it’s not to keep Maria or I company… No…the reason he’s here sort of the same one that I’m currently facing in his direction…Max and Isabel are here too…

It’s taking all my self control not to go over…I want to talk to him, but then again I don’t… It’s all been made even more awkward since Maria made up that stupid story about us both having dates this weekend…yeah, a date with my dad… I sigh. I know that we can’t be together…a relationship between us just wouldn’t work…and yet… I shake my head and force myself to concentrate on something else. A few minutes later Mista walks up and asks how we’re doing with the fire. I groan. “It’s not, what can I say, we’ve been coming on these trips for years, but I’m still not exactly suited to these camping expeditions…” I tell her laughing a little. It feels good to be doing that, laughing and joking, enjoying myself normally… That’s why Max and I won’t work isn’t it…with him nothing would ever be normal… Thing is, I’m coming round to wondering if there’s anything so great about being normal…

Suddenly I become aware that Mista isn’t the only person who’s joined us… Right behind me, someone’s talking to my father…Isabel Evans… A moment later I hear my dad agree to go join them for something to eat…Could this weekend get any more awkward…?
My fics:

Dreams and Reality
Reality Revealed
Family Connections
When Love and Loss Collide
When Friendship and Love Combine - New!
If Only...
The Important Thing
Home for Christmas
I Knew Him Before (PB fic)
Love Always...
The First Time Around - New!
KatnotKath
Roswell Fanatic

Post by KatnotKath »

OOC: not very long, but here's Alex

~Alex~

Where did I get this stupid idea from…? Did I honestly think that coming on this camping trip with my father, just because Isabel Evans was coming, would be a good idea…? So far all it’s been is a nightmare… Everyone knows that I’m no nature boy, and it appears that my dad is even worse than me if possible. The ground is hard and rough, I have no idea how we’re gonna get this tent up, and to top it all off it appears that dad’s left the tin opener at home so how we’re going to get into the tins of sausage and baked beans we brought with us is anyone’s guess. Well no, I guess I do have one idea, but since Isabel has seemed to be ignoring me since we got here…I guess she thinks I didn’t get her message about not wanting anything more than a friend… Which I can’t admit I’m not still hoping…but still, can’t we be friends as she says…? I sigh and start to gather a few pieces of timber, deciding that even if we’re going to be hungry, we can be warm…if I can actually remember how to get this fire going…
My fics:

Dreams and Reality
Reality Revealed
Family Connections
If Only...
The Important Thing
Home for Christmas
Love Always...
isabelle
Roswell Fanatic

Post by isabelle »

*MAX*

I start with five burgers on the grill, sure that the Whitmans are going to accept Isabel's offer when she gets there. I don't think they have anything with them. Looking up, I notice Maria, Liz and Mr. Parker heading in my direction. I can feel myself tensing up at the thought of having Liz so close. Everything I want to do, everything I can't do. Can't even think about having any sort of relationship with her. I'm different. I don't know enough about how I'm different to think about involving someone-else in it all.

I try to force myself to breathe normally and I put three more burgers on. My hands shake slightly as I do it.

"Everything okay, Max?" Dad asks. "Want me to take over?"

"No, Dad. I'm fine," I tell him, quickly. If I'm doing the cooking, it should at least give me something to do while she's here. At least, I hope so.

Mud. I can't believe I'm trying to take advice from Michael but I do my best to think of mud.
StormWolfstone
Roswell Fanatic

Post by StormWolfstone »

Ok... so there are 3 different JP's here... done with Kat for Liz and Alex (plus some NPC's) and Me for Isabel and Mista ... I'd forgotten that I hadn't formatted them or seperated them..

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
JP Liz/Mista

Mista smiled, "I understand that, Liz. I'll take care of the fire for you." She took the torch and set it in the ground before moving to fix up the firewood as she spoke. She was used to this and she felt that the more 'points' she scored might help her when she finally came clean about who she was.

Liz smiled gratefully at Mista. "Thanks..." She looked over at her father. "Since we should have our own fire started shortly, surely there's no reason to intrude on the Evans's time..." She tried to persuade him, hoping against hope that she wouldn't have to spend the evening playing at being friendly with Max.

Unfortunately her father had other ideas. "It'll be a good chance for me to get to know your new friends..." He told her firmly. "I'd like to find out a little more about this Max and Isbael who you've seemed to be spending a lot of time with recently..."

Maria pulled a face, muttering to herself. "Don't know about friends..."

Liz grimaced inwardly, knowing that there was nothing she could do and nodded reluctantly. "Ok dad...if you say so..." She sighed. This was going to be one heck of a weekend...

Mista was glad that her back was to them as she listened to the conversation they were having. Boy, she could just imagine what Mr. Parker would do if he knew exactly who and what Max and Isabel were. She finished getting the firewood set and lifted the torch before placing it to the wood and watching the flame build on it. Once she was satisfied she turned to Liz, "There you go. Your fire is set. If you need help with anything during the weekend, feel free to let me know. Camping has been my life for a very long time."

Liz looked round and smiled at Mista. "Thanks so much..." She frowned. "You'd have thought that dad would have got the picture that I'm not very good at this stuff by now..." She shrugged but couldn't help thinking that there was something more to what Mista was saying than it sounded at first...the way she had said 'a very long time' suggested that she did indeed mean it... She shook her head, trying to dismiss it as being something to do with her having an over-reactive imagination and looked back at Mista. "You'll have to let us provide you with a meal tomorrow...it's the least we can do..." She invited her easily. If she was going to have to sit with Max that night, maybe she could ensure that she didn't have to do the same the next night, and at the same time, be able to spend some time getting to know Mista a little better. She liked the girl, she seemed a little quiet sometimes, but she knew that Alex got on well with her and she would enjoy the opportunity to talk to her outside the work or school enviroment.

Mista smiled in response to Liz's offer and nodded, "I'd like that. Maybe I can convince my father to be social and help distract your father for a while." She stood with torch in hand and started to back away from the fire. Her emerald eyes seemed to shift slightly to almost an amber fire as she felt a small surge from her beast. With brief concentration however, she managed to control her beast and sighed, "By the way, it sounds like you are coming down with a small cold. Do you have anything to take for it?" She asked Liz.

Liz sniffed a little, wiping her nose and nodding. "Yeah, Maria gave me some stuff, thanks for the concern." She smiled at Mista, not noticing the look on her father's face as he heard her say this.

Mr Parker watched his daughter talking to Mista who he knew from her working in the Crashdown. He wasn't purposefully evesdropping, and he didn't hear all the conversation but his ears perked up at the mention of Maria giving her something. He hated to think that Maria DeLuca...the girl who was virtually a second daughter to him...who had grown up with Liz and with whom his daughter had always been such firm friends, could be mixed up in anything dodgy, but right at this moment in time, he couldn't really think of many other explanations. Sighing, he resolved to have it out with both of them later that evening...

Mista nodded, "Well, should you need something more feel free to let me know. My father and I have a large collection of known natural remedies, different plants and herbs. I have a daily dose of a tea made out of rosewood root which helps a great deal." Mista smiled as she responded, it was so strange using the term father when she was actually talking about Daniel.

Liz nodded. "I'll bare that in mind...thanks..." She trailed off, her gaze drifting over to the Evans' camp, fixing on the figure of Max who was stood over their fire. Why did things have to be so complicated...? She shook her head and looked embaressed as she relealised that Mista would probably have been able to tell she had lost her attention. She blushed. "Sorry Mista...you probably think I'm really rude..."

Mista laughed softly, "Not at all, Liz." She assured the girl with a smile, lowering her voice as she told her, "Your feelings for him are evident and so are his. I don't understand why the both of you are fighting it." She commented and then backed away, "Anyway, I'll see you later. Got more to do." With a final smile she walked away heading toward Alex's camp and passed by Isabel who gave her a very strange look.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

JP Alex/ Isabel

Isabel heard Mista and rolled her eyes before telling Mr. Parker, "Great, the food should be ready in the next five minutes or so. Whenever you want to go over my brother and my dad can get you set." She smiled before walking past Mista and Liz, going toward Mr. Whitman and Alex's campsite.

Isabel got over to them and greeted, "Hi, Mr. Whitman, Alex." She turned to motion toward her camp as she explained, "Max and I thought that the both of you might like to join us for a small barbecue."

Alex looked up, surprised by Isabel's entrance. "Oh...uh Isabel..." He knew he sounded completely tongue tied and could see his father's amusement. "Dad...this is Isabel Evans, a friend from school..." He introduced him.

Mr Whitman nodded. "Nice to meet you...I think we'll be fine though...after all, the idea of the camping weekend is to practice individual survival..." He didn't look too sure about that as he said it and trailed off.

Alex tried to hide his excitement at the invitation. "Sure, we'd love to..." He started enthusiastically, breaking off as his father began to turn it down. He raised his eyebrows and picked up one of the tins. Somehow survival included eating in his book and he shook his head. "It's ok dad...it'll be fun..." He looked at Isabel. "How long until you're ready...?"

Isabel grinned as she heard Mr. Whitman start on about survival and such, thinking that he'd definitely never been camping before. At Alex's response she turned to face him as she answered, "Max should be done with the first bit within the next couple of minutes. So you both can come over when you are ready. I know that Mista is going around helping people with their fire's, so if you want to wait until after, that'll work."

Alex looked sheepish. "Is it that obvious that I'm not going to get anywhere with this...?" He commented giving a wry smile. He gave a softly laugh. "I think perhaps waiting for Mista might be a good idea..." He admitted smiling at Isabel again. "But we'll be over right after we're done, thanks for the invitation..."

Isabel laughed slightly as she nodded, "Alright, I'll see you both over there then." She was tempted to stay and help him herself especially since starting a fire wasn't actually all that difficult to do given her powers, but decided it was not a good idea. Instead she made her way back to her brother.

Alex smiled again, wishing that she would stay, yet realising that he couldn't ask her to do so without good cause...something he didn't have at that time...otherwise she might get the wrong idea and begin to pull away even more than she had been before. Even if he couldn't be anything more...Alex couldn't bare to think he could lose Isabel as a friend as well...

JP Alex/Mista

When Mista reached Alex's camp she sighed as she looked at her friend, "Hey, Alex. Need a hand with the fire?" She turned to his father, "Hi, Mr. Whitman. How's work been going?" She'd met Alex's father a couple of times and made it a habit to talk normally to him.

Mr Whitman smiled at Mista. "It's going fine thank you..." He told her, still struggling to try and put up the tent they had brought with them.

Alex looked up. "Oh hi Mista...fancy seeing you here..." He said jovially before nodding as he admitted defeat. "If you could get this fire going, you would be an angel..." He commented, stepping back a little to allow her to get closer.

Mista laughed, "Alex, you of all people should realize by now I'm no angel. I'm just a woodsy type of person." She grinned at her friend and moved over to the fire, adjusting the wood. As she did so she stated, "Do you have any idea why Isabel Evans doesn't like me, Alex?" She wasn't sure whether Isabel might have said something to Alex about her at some point or not, but she sure didn't like the idea that she was already seeming to be hated by someone that was like her in some ways.

Alex was surprised by her mention of Isabel. He shook his head. "I'm sure that's not true...Isabel's just not the kind of person who lets many people in..." He tried to explain, drawing on what he knew of her character. "She seems really cold and aloof, but really she's just trying to avoid getting hurt...she's nervous and shy..." He trailed off, not knowing what else to say.

Mista turned her head to look at him, "Alex, she doesn't seem shy to me. She blew me off rather easily when I offered to help them with their fire. I don't expect to be buddy buddy with anyone, but it would be nice not to feel like public enemy number one." She sighed and shook her head, "Before I began getting that sort of treatment, I really thought she seemed nice and I know how you feel about her, even though you haven't said it out loud to me."

Alex's cheeks flushed and he looked uncomfortable. "I don't know what you mean...she's a f-friend...that's all..." He told her quickly before trying to divert the attention elsewhere. "I wouldn't worry about it anyway...Isabel is probably just in a bad mood given her dad's dragged her along on this weekend...it's not like she's exactly known for roughing it..." He pointed out.

Mista returned to the fire and got everything set in order before she stood and placed the torch to it, letting it burn. Once set, she stood and looked at Alex, "Alex, she may be a friend, but I can tell you think more then that. No need to try and hide it from me." Mista could hear the rapid beating of his heart that told exactly what he was going through. Her lycanthrope eyes picked up the changes that normal people would never see. "One of these days, you'll even have the chance to learn one of my secrets." She joked soflty.

The mention of secrets made Alex turn sharply. He wanted to tell himself that Mista was just joking, but after everything he had found out about Max and the others, maybe he was a little too easy to catch. "Indeed...a secret like how to make a fire that actually burns maybe...?" He asked in a light voice, trying to joke back some. He was purposely not responding to her comment about Isabel...not feeling able to share that with anyone...scared that if he did Isabel might find out and decide that even being friends was too much...

Mista laughed softly and shook her head, "More or less." She grinned, "Anyway, I think I'll see if your father wants some help. By the way, did you want to join dad and I for dinner tonight? We have plenty of food with us."

Alex chuckled. "Well he might try and refuse, but if you can persuade him at all, please do...I don't fancy sleeping out in the open without a tent tonight, and knowing my dad's practical skills, that's exactly what is likely to happen if he's left to deal with that tent by himself..." He looked rufull. "Of course I'm not much better..." He mumbled. In response to her invitation, he pretended to look hurt. "Geez...does no one think we're able to feed ourselves...?" He asked joking before thanking her but explaining Isabel had already made a similar invitation to join Max, her father and herself. He looked at Mista. "I'm sure there would be enough for one more though, if you wanted to come along too..."

Mista shook her head and smiled, "Thanks for the offer, I think I'd rather not interrupt the times you all can have. Maybe tomorrow we can have a big group thing." She suggested, then turned to look at Mr. Whitman. "Sir, Alex just told me you and he were invited to join others for a barbecue. If you wanted to go ahead and eat since I'm rather certain you've worked up an apetite, I can finish the set up in your camp." She offered with a smile, hoping it would work.

Mr Whitman was reluctant to accept but after managing to drop a number of metal pegs, right onto one of his feet, he finally admitted defeat. "I guess I'm not very good at this..." He commented, pushing his glasses up his nose and hobbling back to sit on the ground. Alex chuckled and nodded, telling his dad they should get something to eat and shooting Mista a grateful glance as he helped his dad over to where the others were all now gathering.

~Isabel~

When I returned to where Max was, I saw him already getting the food ready and smiled, "They all agreed." I told him, not about to mention how reluctant some people had been because I had a feeling why there was that reluctance.

I turned to see that Dad had finished the tent finally and smiled, "Great job, Dad." I told him as I moved over to set up our own campfire as I had told Mista that we could manage on our own and that was exactly what I planned to do. I'd show her..
A List of All My Fics

My Avatar is an amazing Thai actor named Earth, he also goes by Cooheart and the BL's he acts in inspire writing.
Elf3748
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by Elf3748 »

~Maria~

Im still sitting here, freezing my ass off when Mista comes by. She asked us if we want her to light our fire. Liz nods and Mista smiles and starts to light it. Mista...I think she's kinda strange but she is lighting our fire so I can't complain too much. After she's done she ask if we want to go over to the Evans tent and eat some BBQ. I look over at Liz immediately. I personally dont want to go over and see the alien bitch princess, Isabel, but I notice that Mista is adressing it more to Liz not me. Thankfully she declines saying that once our fire is roaring we wont need to go over there. 'Go Liz!' I cheer mentally.

"It'll be a good chance for me to get to know your new friends...I'd like to find out a little more about this Max and Isabel who you've seemed to be spending a lot of time with recently..." Mr. Parker says interrupting my mini parade. All of a sudden the bands stop playing and people stop cheering and everything comes crashing down. I make a face and mutter something about how im not sure there friends. Liz looks about as grim as I do maybe even more and says "Ok dad...if you say so.."

'Liz...how could you! I thought you were a friend!' I feel like slamming my head against a tree. This is gonna suck.

Liz talks with Mista some more something about camping and what not and Im feel like totally zoning out when I here my name mentioned. I look up and listen as Liz explains about her cold and saying that myself had provided her with medicine. Mista then says that if Liz needs anything else to help that she should feel free to come to her. 'Hey! She's my friend!' I mentally yell but seeing as Mista can't mind read it didn't really help. I sigh and turn back to the slowly growing fire. Im sure having a blast...
KatnotKath
Roswell Fanatic

Post by KatnotKath »

OOC: sorry for the delay, hope that this is ok for alex, Liz coming also in just a few more minutes

~Alex~

As dad finally gives up on the tent I can’t help feeling relieved…at least with Mista in charge of it I know that I’m not going to be sleeping out in the open tonight… I smile gratefully at her, thanking her once more before going over to my dad who’s sat down, rubbing his foot. “Do you want me to take a look at it…?”

Dad shakes his head quickly. “I’ll be fine…” He assures me.

I shrug. “Okay, whatever you say…” I look over and see that Isabel’s heading back to where she, Max and her dad are camped. She looks so beautiful… I don’t want to seem too eager, but I don’t want to wait any longer either… Then again, Max looks to have the food well underway so maybe I wouldn’t be jumping the gun… “Come on dad…let’s go get something to eat…” I suggest, holding out my had to help him up. Obviously it’s still sore because he nearly falls over as we try to walk over. Inwardly I groan…this was such a bad idea… Quickly, I tell dad to lean against me and slip my arm around his waist to give him some support. He starts to hobble forward but we have to stop every few steps. It seems to take forever, but finally we’re stood in front of the Evans’ camp. “Hey…we’re not too early are we…?” I joke lightly. My laugh might be slightly forced though, cos out of the corner of my eye I’m seeing Liz and Maria…Mr Parker seems to be trying to get them to come over but both look rather reluctant. Not that I don’t understand…spending the evening with an ex-boyfriend…wait a moment, no…that’s not Max is it…they’ve never really gone out, he has this thing about putting them in danger right…? Boy this gets confusing… Anyway, whatever he is, I don’t blame Liz for not wanting to spend the evening around Max. It looks like they’ve lost their argument though, cos they’re coming over… Well, this should be fun…
My fics:

Dreams and Reality
Reality Revealed
Family Connections
If Only...
The Important Thing
Home for Christmas
Love Always...
KatnotKath
Roswell Fanatic

Post by KatnotKath »

~Liz~

"Not at all, Liz…Your feelings for him are evident and so are his. I don't understand why the both of you are fighting it."

Is that really true…? Of course I know it is really…Max has never tried to hide how he feels, it’s just that he says it’s too dangerous to act on that. How I wish that he would change his mind about that…how I wish we could find a way to get round it anyway… But there’s little point in moping about it…he’s made his feelings about the subject perfectly clear and I don’t know that anything will change them. My personal view is that it’s my risk to take…my decision to make… All I need from him is for him to tell me that he does want me, which he’s already done… But it’s not going to get through to Max. He believes that being with me would put me in danger…maybe he’s right…but I don’t care… Being without him is worse… Unfortunately it’s something that I’m going to have to get used to… I have to get used to the fact that Max will never be anything more than a friend, no matter how much I might want more.

Accepting it is one thing though…having to play at being ‘friends’ is another. If only there was some way in which I could change my dad’s mind about insisting on accepting Isabel’s offer of the barbacue. I do keep trying…pretty much every few minutes while I’m finishing getting things set up after Mista’s gone, but still he insists that it’s a good idea. He wants to meet my friends…oh, and but he wants to talk to Maria and I later too… This last is kind of worrying me. I know that we haven’t done anything wrong that he should be wanting to talk to us about, but still, the tone of his voice is very particular, and it means trouble… Whatever he wants to talk to us about, it’s serious…

“Lizzie…are you nearly ready to go over…?”

Dad breaks into my thoughts and I look up. Maria’s stood nearbye looking as miserable as I feel and I try one last time to change his mind. “Are you sure about this dad…we’ve got our fire and I’ve got plenty of stuff with us that we can cook…”

He shakes his head. “No, this is a great idea…I have’t seen enough of these new friends of yours who are occupying so much of your time…”

“But we’re going to have so much food that we’ll be wasting…” As soon as I’ve said this I know that it’s a mistake.

“Well how about we return the favour and invite everyone over to our site tomorrow night…?” Dad suggests, clearly pleased with the idea.

It takes every ounce of self control I possess not to groan at this suggestion. Things just keep getting worse and worse. “I don’t know if that’s such a good idea dad…I mean we’ll have stuff left over but I don’t know about feeding so many people, and I’ve already invited Mista and her father over for tomorrow night…” I really hope that he’ll accept this and not push any further.

Luckily he seems satisfied, at least for now and nods. “Alright, I guess we’ll wait and see then…”

What a lucky escape…

“Anyway, are you girls ready now…?”

Reluctantly I know that there’s not really much point in trying to put it off any longer. “Sure…” I stand up and brush off my trousers before we begin to head over. Let the torture begin…
My fics:

Dreams and Reality
Reality Revealed
Family Connections
If Only...
The Important Thing
Home for Christmas
Love Always...
isabelle
Roswell Fanatic

Post by isabelle »

*MAX*

Isabel tells me what I already guessed, that everyone's coming. "Okay," I tell her, keeping my voice even. "But we're going to be completely out of dinner food when this is done. Someone's gonna have to sneak out and do a grocery run if we're still here tomorrow night."

"Oh, we'll probably figure out something," she tells me, easily.

I glance at her, questioningly. How can she seem so calm? Is she making fun of me? Knowing how much having Liz here is going to be killing me? "Well, at least we know Alex and his dad will be fed," I say.

Isabel just smiles serenely. "I think you were right. They didn't have any food of their own." She moves off as Maria, Liz and Mr. Parker start over in our direction. I keep myself busy with the food, taking off the first three burgers and putting them on buns.

"Hello, Max, isn't it?" I hear as someone approaches me. I recognise the voice immediately, although I'd been deliberately not looking. Of course, the question rather gives it away, too.

"Um, yeah, Mr. Parker. Nice to meet you," I say, looking up.

"I understand you and my Lizzie are pretty close," he says.

I turn my attention back to the grill, turning the new burgers and taking off the first group. "Um, yeah. I guess," I tell him. "We're lab partners. Biology."