Rosfic and Twilight

Have a challenge you'd like to see written? Have an idea that just won't get out of your head? Want to talk anything and everything fanfic or writer related? This is the place.

Moderators: ISLANDGIRL5, Forum Moderators

kj4ever
Addicted Roswellian

Rosfic and Twilight

Post by kj4ever »

I'm not a huge fan of the Twilight series, I did enjoy the first book but really didn't have the desire to read any of the rest of them. It had struck me how this book seemed to be heavily, and I mean HEAVILY influenced/similar to Roswell.

Well my niece, who is a Roswell and Twilight fanatic, told me about "Midnight Sun", the companion book that is online that shows the book in Edwards point of view.

I actually liked it better then the Twilight book, but while reading it something hit me like a ton of bricks.

Twilight isn't a rip off of Roswell, it's a rip off of Rosfic!!!

It has all the ways the authors here and at other sites have made their own "improvements" on the Roswell story.

Let's take a look at what I found so not coincidental:

Amber eyes. She describes his eyes over and over as looking Amber when he's full.

He can only love Bella, and will love her forever. A very popular theme in Rosfic, one I personally like :)

He considers himself a monster, and says it over and over again in Midnight Sun. In Roswell they hinted that Max thought of himself that way, but Rosfic is where that really came to life.

He can make Bella a "monster" but doesn't want to. He also has a beautiful girl who's crazy about him (they tell that part in Midnight Sun) but he only has eyes for Bella.

Even the twist of him saving her - he did it and no one knew. Very popular in Rosfic.

I can't help but wonder if Stephanie has an account here!
Find all the links to my fics in one place:

My Author's Page

New Fic!

Little Girl Lost in the alternative universe w/aliens forum!

Check out my website! http://kel.uppercaseliving.net
Kristy
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Re: Rosfic and Twilight

Post by Kristy »

That is actually why I didn't continue with the series. Because as I read, I was always thinking "I've seen this done before, and I've seen it done *better*" in rosfic. There are total comparisons to be made, and it reads like a fanfic (a well beta-ed, coherent fanfic, but a fanfic nonetheless).
Kristy

"I'm not normally a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me, Superman!" - Homer Simpson

"No sprinkles. For every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!" - Stewie Griffin
tequathisy
Addicted Roswellian

Post by tequathisy »

It's utter fanfic. And not even done all that well. Bad, awful characterisation and Bella is such a Mary Sue. That being said I would not be at all surprised if it turned out that Miss Meyer had cut her writing teeth on Roswell fanfic.
Banner by Evelyn
kj4ever
Addicted Roswellian

Post by kj4ever »

Kristy wrote:That is actually why I didn't continue with the series. Because as I read, I was always thinking "I've seen this done before, and I've seen it done *better*" in rosfic. There are total comparisons to be made, and it reads like a fanfic (a well beta-ed, coherent fanfic, but a fanfic nonetheless).
I think Midnight Sun, which probably didn't have the advantage of having editors pouring over it, really, really made me see the comparisions.
Find all the links to my fics in one place:

My Author's Page

New Fic!

Little Girl Lost in the alternative universe w/aliens forum!

Check out my website! http://kel.uppercaseliving.net
Raychelxluscious
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Raychelxluscious »

I wanted to write SM and say, "I liked Roswell, too."

Though, that wasn't because I thought it was fanfic, but because I saw the parallel with Roswell, Max and Liz, the Pod Squad, etc.

Bella totally was a Mary-Sue, but I loved the series, definitely because it was very Roswell-esque to me.

Now, however, I'm going to have to reread it with a more critical eye and try and discern the fanfic in it. I didn't think it was a masterpiece in regards to writing and literature and what not, but I still never associated it with fanfic (except for the similar Roswell storyline, of course).
writing is a socially accepted form of schizophrenia

Roswell, New Mexico S1 Watch Party
Roswellian117
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Roswellian117 »

I love Twilight because it gave me an ending that my beloved Roswell never did. I think Eclipse is by far the best in the Twilight series, due to action and just a good story line. Maybe Mayer has opened the door for a new generation of Roswell. I think it is about time.
Misha
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Misha »

I've read in a few places how Twilight resembles Roswell so much, but it didn't really hit me how much until I saw this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTEetnIRxo4

:lol: :lol: :lol:
"There's addiction, and there's Roswell!"
nibbles2
Obsessed Roswellian

Post by nibbles2 »

wow, spooky.
Lorastar
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Lorastar »

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought that. Besides all the reasons you guys listed, even some of the character descriptions are similar. Take for example, Bella's best friend/sister Alice, is the equivalent to Liz's best friend/sister Maria. Right down to the overenthusiastic energy and pixie hair. Then the other girl vampire, Rosalie, is Isabel. The striking cold blond who doesn't really accept the human into their secret lives.

Edward does seem like a more secure version of Max, if only because he knows his history and what he is.

That said, Liz is a lot more of an actual person than Bella. Bella didn't really even seem to be worthwhile until the last book, in my opinion. And yet, I STILL read them all. Haha.
<center>Image</center>
Karen O
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by Karen O »

Raychelxluscious wrote:I wanted to write SM and say, "I liked Roswell, too."
:lol: