Roswell got compaired to the pop culture phenomenon Twilight

This forum is for all general Roswell stuff. That means, general book and show discussion.

Moderators: Anniepoo98, ISLANDGIRL5, Forum Moderators

Roswell 10/2/00
Addicted Roswellian

Roswell got compaired to the pop culture phenomenon Twilight

Post by Roswell 10/2/00 »

I was not that far off in my theory of Twilight being very similar to Roswell

Even after 6 years of being off the air Roswell is still making Headlines! We got compaired to the biggest pop culture phenomenon Twilight

Twilight Vs. Roswell: Are aliens more romantic than vampires?

Twilight Vs. Roswell: Are aliens more romantic than vampires? - VIDEO - TV Squad
Twilight Vs. Roswell: Are aliens more romantic than vampires?

Posted Dec 2nd 2008 10:02AM by Mike Moody
Filed under: Other Sci-Fi/Supernatural Shows, TV on DVD, OpEd, Video, Vs., Reality-Free

Even before I caught Twilight on the big screen, I was comparing it to Roswell, the great teen sci-fi/romance series that aired on The WB (and later The CW UPN) from 1999-2002. The Twilight ads and trailers seemed to tell the same story Roswell told more than nine years ago: A sensitive girl is saved by a supernatural hunk who makes it his mission to protect her at all costs. The two fall in love, but the relationship is complicated by his other-worldly circumstances.

It's not exactly the most original story in the world. This sort of thing goes back to Bram Stoker's Dracula, (and probably further back than that). Still, after watching Twilight, I was a bit shocked by its similarities to Roswell, especially since Roswell wasn't half as popular as Twilight. I haven't read the Twilight or Roswell book series, so I can't tell you if the similarities persist in print (but my friend Stephanie can). I can only compare the big screen and TV versions.

From major plot points to character motivations, these two franchises have a lot in common, but one clearly stands above the other. Let's compare, and you'll see what I mean:

The Set-Ups:
Roswell - In the pilot, we're introduced to Liz Parker (Shiri Appleby), a bright Roswell teen who writes everything down in her diary. In the first scene, she's saved from certain death by Max Evans (Jason Behr), her quiet biology lab partner who just happens to be an alien. Max's secret and life are threatened when he publicly uses his powers to heal Liz from a gunshot wound.

Twilight - In the opening scene, we're introduced to Bella (Kristen Stewart) a lonely teen who just moved to the dreary town of Forks, Washington. Bella is soon saved by her quiet (wouldn't you know it) biology lab partner Edward Cullen (Robert Pattinson), a vampire masquerading as a normal teen. Using his supernatural strength to save Bella from being hit by a car puts Edward's secret and his life in jeopardy.

The Romances:
Roswell - Max and Liz form an alien-powered bond when he heals her. They exchange emotions and memories instantly and fall deeply in love. Unfortunately, Max's alien roots and a revolving door of big bads get in the way of their happily ever after.

Twilight - Um, Edward likes the way Bella smells. That's about it. Her aroma is so intoxicating that he feels the need to gawk at her from a distance day and night. (Is this love or just animal magnetism?) Bella seems to dig that Edward isn't a nice, polite, normal teen who can go out in the daylight like all the other boys. Her sweet stank attracts a sociopathic vamp who tries to kill her and Edward, which briefly gets in the way of their romance.

The Diaries/Voiceovers:
Roswell - Liz Parker's voice is the first thing you hear in the Roswell pilot and in most of the following eps. Her diary entries narrate the bulk of the series and give each ep a warm, intimate feeling, partly thanks to Appleby's sincere voice.

Twilight - The movie opens with a voiceover from Bella, and the voiceovers continue throughout the film. They don't offer much in the way of warmth or intimacy. Instead, they feel mopey and stock, but that might have something to do with Stewart's unimpassioned line readings.

The Lead Characters/Actors:
Roswell - Appleby is endlessly appealing as the sharp, warm and capable Liz. She might be a sensitive teen, but she's rarely mopey, even when circumstances keep her apart from her first love. Jason Behr's subtle turn is perfect for Max, a character who's pulled from the sidelines to become a benevolent leader and protector.

Twilight - Bella is written as a bright girl who's experiencing the thrill of first love. Stewart plays her as an angsty, pretentious, and unlikeable emo kid. Pattinson fares better as the valiant Edward, but it's clear that he comes from the John Lovitz school of ACTING!

Other similarities:
Twilight and Roswell both feature supporting characters with supernatural gifts who feel threatened by the main characters' relationships. In Twilight, these characters come off as one-note, but Roswell's supporting characters were, of course, allowed to develop over three seasons. Also, both franchises portray Native Americans as somewhat mystical people. In Roswell, they have a spiritual link to the aliens. In Twilight, they're territorial onlookers who might be werewolves.

The Verdict:
So -- at the risk of having my likeness burned in effigy by a mob of angry teens -- I must admit that Roswell is the better franchise. Maybe it's an age thing (I haven't been a teen for ten years), but after re-watching the Roswell pilot, I found it to be warmer and smarter, better plotted and acted, and more compelling than the movie version of Twilight. It's also way more romantic. I think Twilighters should give it a shot (especially since you can stream it for free online). It's got all of Twilight's basic elements, but it's a lot less pretentious. Plus, there's more of it (three seasons worth)! Sure, Twilight might seem edgier and more glamorous, but all the hair product and Paramore tracks can't hide the fact that it's one of the most unromantic "romantic" movies out there.

Stream the Roswell pilot below and judge for yourself.
Roswell - Pilot - AOL Video
I have never been more prouder to be a Roswell fan in my life! :in_love:
pijeechinadoll
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: Roswell got compaired to the pop culture phenomenon Twilight

Post by pijeechinadoll »

As much a twilight looks interesting and i havent read the books
and i really do wanna read them (at the reccomdation of monica).

ROSWELL was the best and was around longer than twilight.
Yes ROSWELL got axed, but in my heart roswell still lives on.
I love Liz and Max. i love their love and relationship. yes it was perfect, but who's relationship is.
and if you think about how many fans there still is of ROSWELL
ROSWELL will still be around for a very long time.
pingx

~I WILL BE A FAN FOREVER~
♥LUv roSWEll♥lOvE MaX eVAns♥LoVe Liz PaRKeR♥luV bEiNg a DrEamR♥LuV FANFICS♥
xoxoxox
To see a World in a Grain of Sand,And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand, And Eternity in an hour
(william blake)
Anchespatoon
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by Anchespatoon »

This was exactly the first thing popped into my mind when i first heard about (only) the plot of Twilight. I thought: "Oh no! They steal the sttoryline, the couple, the essence, the high-school setting, the characters from Roswell and make an all new teenage garbage merchandise story out of that." and i was right. Iam glad to see that other people feel the same way. When i see all this mad hype around this Twilight shit, i feel between *rolleyes* and *angry*. They cast two sweeties with no aura and no spirit. Then they push them into weekly interviews, previews, MTV shows and so on. And all Teenies start crying, screaming going wild about a bad hair day guy. Oh i wish they would continue Roswell instead of making teenies dumb and silly. But than - if you make Teenies dumb and silly - they will spend money.
pijeechinadoll
Obsessed Roswellian

Post by pijeechinadoll »

Anchespatoon wrote:This was exactly the first thing popped into my mind when i first heard about (only) the plot of Twilight. I thought: "Oh no! They steal the sttoryline, the couple, the essence, the high-school setting, the characters from Roswell and make an all new teenage garbage merchandise story out of that." and i was right. Iam glad to see that other people feel the same way. When i see all this mad hype around this Twilight shit, i feel between *rolleyes* and *angry*. They cast two sweeties with no aura and no spirit. Then they push them into weekly interviews, previews, MTV shows and so on. And all Teenies start crying, screaming going wild about a bad hair day guy. Oh i wish they would continue Roswell instead of making teenies dumb and silly. But than - if you make Teenies dumb and silly - they will spend money.
hmm... thats a bit harsh. i can agree with some of the stuff you say. but the books are essential what makes the twilight story. and actually Robert Pattinson is a good actor: not a sweetie with no aura and no spirit. express your opinion but dont go over board because there are alot of twilight fans on here who will be offended at what u said.
pingx
xoxoxox
(william blake)
Anchespatoon
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by Anchespatoon »

I understand your concern. But this is a Roswell Board, not a Twilight Board - right?

An dont get me wrong - i dont know these books. Maybe theyre really nice stuff. Maybe its a romantic and beautiful story.What i hate most about that is what producers, hollywood etc make out of it. Just high-definition-photoshop Popcorn. And there are a lot more guys who could play a real angelic Vampire. Pattison just fits into this role, Teenager like. And anyway - we saw everything before (Roswell, Buffy, Dracula, Underworld etc etc)
pijeechinadoll
Obsessed Roswellian

Post by pijeechinadoll »

But this is a Roswell Board, not a Twilight Board - right?
yes it it a roswell board but we do talk about a lot of other things. and twilight is one of them. :D
xoxoxox
(william blake)
Anchespatoon
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by Anchespatoon »

yeah in a critical way and compared to Roswell. :D
Didnt you got the intention of Roswell 10/2/00 (Thread-opener)?

But we have finally a discussion here. Hope it will last a bit longer. 8)

(btw.: i have some technical problems with this board this night. Cant post any smileys, pages dont open or very slow, html is not working.)
Cocogurl
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Cocogurl »

My heart goes to both Roswell and Twilight. Two amazing stories! :D
ken_r
Obsessed Roswellian

Post by ken_r »

Both stories are of the Romeo and Juliet genera. I hope I can us genera that way. Both stories have a personal world attacked from without by prejudice. You have lovers who if everyone would just go away they would find happiness.

In Roswell you have Tess who would tare Max away from Liz and in Twilight you have Jacob who would take Bella away from the vampires. This is a complication because in Romeo and Juliet If their families would just quit fighting they could find their happiness but in the two modern stories There are more complications. Roswell has its bad aliens and Twilight has its bad Vampires. What does Roswell have to be analogous to Twilight’s werewolves? The werewolves, who are in twilight are both friend and foe. Maybe it is the humans that discover the aliens after Liz, especially the sheriff and maybe Kyle.

The Roswell High books are very different from the series. I have both read them and have a complete set. I think the comparison should remain between the books/movie of Twilight and the TV series Roswell. My Shakespeare is so rusty I wish some younger reader would see what they could do with this comparison.

In Shakespeare things get so messed up that they each take their own lives. In twilight it is Bella who dies and becomes immortal. For Liz in Roswell she sparks a little but unfortunately we do not see her ultimate fate. They ended too fast.
Good teachers are born that way, not made. No! Good human beings, are born that way. Some of them become teachers.

Of course, life is not fair. You shouldn't expect it to be fair, but you should expect it to be ironic.
JKR 1981-2001
History is made of wars, recovering from wars and preparing for the next war.
JJR 1975-
paper
Addicted Roswellian

Post by paper »

ken_r wrote: Both stories are of the Romeo and Juliet genera. . . . You have lovers who if everyone would just go away they would find happiness.
Isn't that the underpinnings of 80% of the love stories out there?

ken_r wrote:What does Roswell have to be analogous to Twilight’s werewolves? The werewolves, who are in twilight are both friend and foe. Maybe it is the humans that discover the aliens after Liz, especially the sheriff and maybe Kyle.
What about the skins? Courtney vs Nicholas? Courtney was just one of Michael's worshippers. :twisted:

ken_r wrote:The Roswell High books are very different from the series. I have both read them and have a complete set.
I've never had a chance to read the books. Do you recommend it?
ken_r wrote:In Shakespeare things get so messed up that they each take their own lives. In twilight it is Bella who dies and becomes immortal. For Liz in Roswell she sparks a little but unfortunately we do not see her ultimate fate. They ended too fast.

The best laid plans & all. The previews I've seen have me very interested. Who cares if the story is similar? I usually watch all the vampire shows that come along sooner or later. They even had Dracula in the 3rd Librarain show with Noah Wylie. Vamps are everywhere.

I have gotten so much enjoyment out of Ros-fic that I'm . . . glad . . . no. No. No. You are right. They ended it too fast! The fools!

Kavar Khivar A Despot's work is never done.