Going Back (AU M/L CC ADULT) Chapter 28 03/31/12 [WIP]

This is the place where fics that have not been updated in the past three months will be moved until the author asks a mod to move them back to an active board.

Moderators: Anniepoo98, ISLANDGIRL5, truelovepooh, Forum Moderators

Behrgirl21
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Re: Going Back (AU M/L CC ADULT) Ch 19 6/12/08

Post by Behrgirl21 »

Hi guys so sorry for the MAJOR delay in this next part. I have been so busy changing jobs and I got married the other day so I've not been able to get on here to give you a decent update.

Since you've been waiting so long I'll give feedback a miss but thanks for all the great feedback and keep it coming!!
Hope you all are still interested in this!!

This next chapter is a little middle part that is really just to move the story along. It does have Liz's boyrfriend Lucas in it but I assure all you dreamers that they don't stay together much longer!! I just didn't want to do a fic where Liz is the unattatched girl...so don't be annoyed that she's with this guy in this part and he'll be gone soonish...

So happy reading!!
Elle xx

Chapter 20

"Izzy, Lucas is here!"

Stu yelled outside her bedroom door as she finished applying her make-up in front of her mirror.

"Send him in!"

She shouted back and after a few seconds, Lucas waltzed into her room, closing the door behind him.

"Hi babe."

He said as he leaned down to kiss her. She smiled up at his handsome face where his bright blue eyes and sexy grin greeted her. His short blonde hair was spiky on top and she loved how edgy it made him look despite his angelic features. He was tall and skinny but she very well knew that there was a well defined body under his faded blue jeans and white shirt.

"Hi yourself." She replied as she put her arms around his neck slowly.

"A bit over dressed aren't you?"

He questioned and she suddenly remembered that they had made plans to catch a movie.

"Oh god, I completely forgot! We had plans didn't we?"

At his icy stare and stiff nod she sighed,

"I'm sorry baby, I forgot and I made other plans to go out with Maria and Stu and Michael."

"Michael? As in the guy you grew up with? Who keeps coming to see you?"

His tone of voice left no doubt in Liz's mind that he was jealous.

"Yes, that Michael, it's not what you're thinking either. We're just going out as friends."

She tried to reassure but he pulled out of her grasp and she knew they were heading for a fight.

"Is he the reason you won't move in with me?"

He suddenly asked, blue eyes flashing with anger. Great, this is all I need, another fight about why I won't move in with him.

"No of course not! I won't move in with you because I told you I wasn't ready for that yet."

"Well when will you be ready because before he showed up you seemed eager for us to take the next step but now...you're moving away more each time he turns up."

"Lucas don't be silly, that's got nothing to do with it. I'm not ready and I wasn't before so I don't know where you got that impression, I'm sorry but that's just the way it is."

She turned around, effectively dismissing him as she picked her purse up and walked to the door.

"What about our plans for tonight?"

He said through gritted teeth as she opened the door.

"It's Michael's last night so we're going out for a drink, you're welcome to come but I can catch a movie with you anytime." She answered as she left the room and a fuming Lucas.

"What do you want to drink?"

Michael shouted to be heard over the music.

"Just a beer!"

Liz shouted back and he turned to Maria and Stu asking them the same.

Liz turned to look around the club they had gone to, bodies were dancing in a huge mass in the middle of the floor and the music thrummed through her body. Turning back to grab the bottle Michael offered her she took a drink as her eyes found the face of a familiar man making his way to her.

As he approached Michael raised an eyebrow at her and she rolled her eyes at Stu.

"Look who found us."

She said to him and he noticed the man almost in front of them.

"Play nice Izzy."

He replied and Michael's gazed flicked from Stu to Liz trying to understand what they were talking about.

"Well look who came out to play."

The guy shouted towards Liz and she smiled politely.

"Nick."

She nodded at him and he turned his gaze to Maria, Stu and then Michael.

"Where's the boyfriend Izzy? Finally let you out to play alone?"

He ran a hand through his jet black hair and gave a cheeky smile as she rolled her eyes at him.

"Funny Nick."

"I'm shocked that you aren't bare-foot and pregnant yet." He sneered and she glared at him.

"Never going to happen, now why don't you run along and manage this place properly?"

"Ouch Izzy, that hurts, why don't you help me manage this place tonight? I think I could find you something to do in my office for me."

He replied as his dark eyes roamed her body, taking in her short strapless black dress.

"In your dreams."

She replied quickly and he then reached out a hand to her arm.

"You're already there."

She shrugged her arm away from him and Michael stepped forward as he reached towards her again.

"You bought a bodyguard out? You think my place is that bad?"

Nick commented looking at Michael unconcerned and she laughed,

"This is Michael, a friend. Michael, this is Nick, he owns this place and is a permanent pain in my ass."

She made quick introductions and Nick laughed as Michael frowned.

"Now why can't you be nice for once in your life?"

"Got to keep you on your toes."

She replied as she took another sip from her bottle. Michael and Nick shook hands. This is going to be a long night, She thought as Nick made small talk with Michael.

She had met Nick when she had started running the club with Stu. He'd started their friendship, if that's what you could call it, by asking her on dates repeatedly. Liz turned him down every time but they continued to flirt and banter through the years, even though they were rivals for customers. Despite his attempts at dating her he looked out for her, he had more contacts than she did and so he was useful at times. He especially looked out for her in her relationships, currently that one being her relationship with Lucas, who he was convinced was no good for her and went about openly admitting it. This is where the conversation led with Michael when they continued to talk about her, despite her efforts at separating the two all night.

Liz and Maria were out on the dance floor and had been for the last half hour when Liz caught Michael's eye and waved him over when she saw Stu talking to a blonde guy at the bar. As Michael made his way over she turned to see Maria's gaze fixed on him.

"Like what you see?"

She teased her blonde friend lightly and laughed when Maria blushed and quickly looked the other way.

"Michael thinks you're cute." She shouted in Maria's ear.

"He does not!"

She protested and frowned when Liz rolled her eyes,

"I know him Maria, I assure you he does like you, he hasn't kept his eyes off you all night."

"Whatever Izzy."

Maria tried to ignore her as Michael appeared at their side smiling.

"Michael! Dance with us!"

Liz shouted feeling the alcohol buzzing in her system. He looked out of place for a moment then Liz grabbed his hand and pulled him in between her and Maria. They both started dancing with Michael in the middle, Maria looked around from Michael's back to Liz and glared at her so in response, Liz grinned back, turned Michael around to a surprised Maria and danced away towards the bar.

Michael had kept an eye on that Maria girl all night, when Liz had first introduced him to her he had been taken back by her beauty. She was slender with blonde hair, green eyes and full red lips that he found he wanted to kiss. As much as he tried to ignore the feelings she was causing in him, he couldn't ignore them, she was everywhere Liz was. She was funny and always honest to Liz, which made him a fan.

He looked out for Liz every time he came to see her and was constantly calling her every other day to check she was ok, when he had learned that she had a boyfriend he felt better that she had someone to take care of her and that she had moved on. Then he had met Lucas and it all went down hill. Lucas thought he was perfect and that Liz should be too. From what Maria had let slip a few times, Lucas was desperate to get Liz to move in with him and that the relationship was heading for marriage quickly, yet Liz had given no indication of the relationship moving in either of those directions. Michael was pretty sure the relationship was one sided but he was in no place to tell Liz what to do.

Now here he was dancing closely with Maria and even though he was glad to be having a good time with Liz and she was obviously pushing him and Maria together, he still felt a pang of guilt for not telling anyone about finding Liz. He'd told Liz that they were better off not knowing where she was, that they'd moved on and he knew it would cause more pain knowing that she had a new life without them and hadn't looked back once, yet deep down he knew they'd want closure on what had happened to her. He saw in his friends, his brother, Liz's brother and his parents everyday that not knowing for certain where she was or if she was even alive still haunted them.
He knew that if Liz didn't come home for Tommy then she had truly moved on and didn't consider herself the same person they all loved. If she didn't come back he didn't think he could keep seeing her and keeping it a secret. The only problem with that was whether he'd tell his friends and family about her or turn away and never see her again, leaving her to the life she had built for herself.

As the night drew to an end, Liz waved Michael and Maria off in a taxi to his hotel, after dropping Maria off at home, where he'd catch a few hours sleep before catching a flight first thing in the morning, well this morning I should say, she thought as she looked at her watch and seeing the time was 2am.
Michael sat next to Maria in the taxi and felt nervous for the first time in a while. Sure he'd had girlfriends and dates but nothing very serious, truthfully all the years they had spent looking for Liz caused them to neglect certain aspects of their lives. Girls didn't want to date guys who were always busy chasing after a friend who had disappeared, no matter how much they tried to convince them that the missing girl was just a friend from back home.

"So do you think Izzy will come back with you?"

Maria asked quietly and he frowned,

"I'm not sure, she's got her own life here, I think if she came back it might hurt her again, you know, because of all the bad memories."

Maria nodded and seemed to relax but soon they were pulling up outside her apartment building and she was turning to him.

"Do you have time for a quick coffee or something?"

She said quickly and he smiled.

"Sure."

They both got out and he followed her into the building and up to her apartment. Once inside he sat down on her sofa and waited for her to make the coffee.

"Do you mind if I go get changed?"

She asked timidly from the doorway.

He shook his head but couldn't talk, she was getting changed, into what? Actual clothes or what she wears to bed? Oh god please don't let it be something sexy, I won't survive it! He silently prayed whilst Maria was getting changed but his thoughts were stopped when she appeared a few minutes later in a pair of old sweatpants that hugged her figure and an old tank top that had a faded flower on it. She settled down next to him and passed his coffee, putting hers on the table.

"So..."

She mumbled and he smiled reassuringly at her as he settled back.

"So..."

He replied and as he stared at her beautiful face and thought, what the hell, I'm leaving tomorrow anyway. He leaned in a was about to kiss her when her phone rang loudly and caused Maria to jump, knocking Michael's arm that was holding his coffee, causing it to spill onto his trousers. He jumped up in shock, the burning liquid seeping through to his skin and burning him.

"Shit!"

He yelled and Maria jumped up panicking.

"Oh shit, I'm sorry! Here take them off!"

She told him as she took the cup out of his hands and helped him pull his trousers down quickly. Once they were off she grabbed a shirt that was lying on the back of the sofa and pressed it towards his legs.

"Wipe it off, does it hurt?" She asked, concern in her green eyes for him.

He shook his head and glanced up in time to see the blush making its way across her face, realising that she was looking at his now damp boxers. She quickly averted her eyes and picked up the still ringing phone.

"Hello? Mum hi...no...yes I'm fine...but...yeah but...no...of course not...ok...yes...I said yes mum...I have to go...no...speak to you later...yeah...love you too."

She rolled her eyes as she put the phone down, damn mother, calling at all hours just because I hadn't told her I was going out.

She smiled up at Michael and he smiled back. He felt his own face begin to heat up and then decided to make her less uncomfortable.

"You know, if you wanted to get me naked, all you had to do was ask!"

"Damn and here's me thinking my little plan was working."

She teased, her face turning another shade of red and he threw the now wet shirt onto the table. He looked at her for a moment before pulling her towards him and kissing her hard.

Maria stood there shocked for a second before responding to his passionate kiss and wrapping her arms around his neck to get closer to him.

Michael could feel Maria pressed up against him and he was painfully aware that he wasn't wearing any trousers. He was secretly pleased by her response, feeling glad that she hadn't rejected him, and now he could just marvel at how spicy she tasted but at the same time, leaving a sweet taste. He knew then that he'd get even less sleep now.

**********************************************************************************************

Arriving home in her own taxi, Liz silently made her way to her room. Pulling her clothes off and changing into her shorts and tank top she wore to bed, she frowned when her phone rang, who could be calling at this time?

"Hello?"

"Izzy?"

Lucas's slurring voice met her ears and she sighed, he's drunk, this should get interesting.

"Hey Lucas, what's up?"

"I love you, you know that right?"

"Sure I do."

She answered as she walked into the kitchen to pour a drink for herself.

"I think...hic...we should get...hic...married."

He slurred into the phone and Liz froze.

"I think we should talk about this when you're not wrecked."

She replied after a moments' hesitation, I don't want to be tied down, it only hurts more when I have to leave.

"I not wrecked, I mean...hic...every word I say...hic...why won't you move in with me?"

He said angrily and she pinched the bridge of her nose.

"Lucas, I'm tired and don't want to have this conversation with you right now, go home, get some sleep and we'll talk tomorrow."

"I don't want to talk to you tomorrow!"

He snapped and she felt her own anger rise as he continued on.

"All you want to do is work and hang out with that Michael when he comes up here, what's going on with the two of you?"

"Nothing! I've told you a thousand times, Michael and I are just friends. We go way back..."
He interrupted her,

"That's another thing, you never tell me anything about your past! How do you go way back with him and where? Where did you grow up?"

He sounded more sober, which annoyed her more, he knew she didn't like to talk about her past.

"Look I don't like to talk about my past, it's not something I want to remember so can we just talk about something else please?"

"No, what happened that made you want to forget your life? Tell me?"

He demanded and she snapped, how dare he speak to me like that!

"It's none of your damn business! I'm not going to speak to you when you're like this Lucas, if you think you can just order me around then you've got another thing coming. Goodnight."

She snapped her phone shut, closing the call off and braced her hand on the counter for support. She took deep breaths to take away the growing ball of fear expanding in her stomach at the thought of her life she left behind and especially the people who suffered from her decision. Like Tommy.
I’ve never looked back since I left, I've worked hard to put that life behind me and forget it but now Michael's opened up that whole can of worms. Tommy has given up everything for me and I never knew it until now. Seven years he's been waiting for me to save him from a life he was determined not to have and now he has it all because I was too selfish to stay and face everything.

"Hey are you alright darlin'?"

Stu's husky voice spoke from behind her. She spun around and gasped, she hadn't heard him come up behind her and her heart pounded in her chest.

"You scared me!"

"Sorry sweetheart."

She turned back around and took a sip of her drink as Stu made his way next to her to lean on the counter.

"You're thinking about going back aren't you?"

He asked quietly and she swung her head to look at him.

"What makes you say that?"

"I know you Izzy."

He replied with a shrug and she immediately felt angry.

"Do you?"

How can anyone really know me, I've been living a fake life for seven years, I don't even know me anymore.

"It doesn't matter what your name is, you are the person you are and I know that person."

"I can't leave him there like that, he never wanted a life like that for himself, he's there because of me and the least I can do is fix it for him."

"You don't owe anyone anything Izzy, it's not your responsibility to save them from what their lives have become. Only they are responsible."

He put a tanned arm around her slim shoulders and gave her a reassuring squeeze. She was slightly shocked that he knew what she was feeling about Michael's revelation. She had told Stu and Maria about it and they had been supportive and would back whatever she chose.

"I don't know what I'd do if I didn't have you in my life."

She whispered as she leaned her head on his shoulder.

"It would be an incredibly boring life without me."

He joked and Liz laughed at his attempt to make her smile.

"I guess it would."

"So you're going home?" He asked after a minutes silence.

"I am home."

She replied quietly. I am home, She told herself persistently, trying to ignore the nagging little voice trying to be heard in the back of her head.
************************************************************************************************
Behrgirl21
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Re: Going Back (AU M/L CC ADULT) Ch 20 7/15/08

Post by Behrgirl21 »

Hi guys...getting a bit worried that everyone has forgotten about my fic and left me!! So thought I'd get this little part out to try and bring you all back!!

Alien_Friend So happy you're still reading my fic!! Sorry to have kept you waiting sooo long!! You raise an interesting point with Liz choosing relationships that are doomed to fail. Yep I knew Lucas would be annoying and unfortunately he gets worse before we get rid of him. Thanks!!

L-J-L 76 Glad to see you're still reading!! And I se you have lots of questions again!! Afraid I can't tell you much but thanks for the feedback!!

trulov Thanks for reading!! I'm glad you see that Liz was too low to feel worthy of Max's help. I know some people don't quite understand why she didn't tell him sooner etc,
as for when she sees the others and how they all react, you'll have to wait and see! Thanks though!!

Chapter 21

One Week Later.

Liz nervously tapped her thumbs against the steering wheel as she pretended to listen to the radio in the rental car. Truthfully, she was trying to ignore all the feelings that past memories swimming around in her head were causing, everyday she had thought about her past but everyday she had fought against it taking over her new life.
I am not a victim anymore.
She repeated in her head as her therapist had advised her to do when things got tough, even though that piece of advice had worked for the past 5 years since she last saw her therapist, it wasn't helping much now. The fear or possibly coming face to face with the man who had tried to kill her was overwhelming and soon Liz had to pull the car over on the side of the deserted road to calm herself down.

Stepping out onto the dry road she took a deep breath, pushing her long dark brown hair away from her face, she scanned her surroundings. She could see Roswell in the distance, in about 15 minutes she would be driving right into her past and she hoped she survived the trip down memory lane.

Taking one last shaky breath she told herself loudly,

"Pull yourself together, just arrive, sort the restaurant out and get out of there."

Avoid as many people as possible and go back into hiding, she confessed silently as she started the car up and drove towards a place where all her nightmares began.

After having driven around the block twice because she'd lost the nerve to stop outside the restaurant the first time, Liz pulled into the space outside and stepped out of the car, putting her sunglasses on to protect her eyes.

Just then her phone rang.

"Hello?"

"Izzy? Where are you?"

Lucas's angry voice met her ears.

"Lucas, hi, um...I'm out of town."

She stumbled, angry at herself for letting him get to her like this.

"I know that, I got your note, I meant where, as in geographically, are you?"

He spat sarcastically and Liz felt her anger get the better of her.

"I'm in Roswell."

“You’re in Roswell?”

“Yeah, it’s in New Mexico.”

She replied sarcastically.

“I know where it is Izzy.”

“Ok.”

"What are you doing in Roswell?"

He sounded surprised and she sighed.

"I'm sorting out some business arrangement."

"A business arrangement?"

"Yes. It's just a few things to sort out."

She tried to be vague.

"A few things to sort out?"

He repeated and she got annoyed.

"Did you need something or are you just calling to repeat everything I say?"

"Don't use that tone with me Izzy."

"Then don't wind me up, I've got things to sort out so I have to go."

"Listen, how long will you be out there?"

"I'm not sure, hopefully only a few days at the most."

"You want me to come out, help you out?"

"No I'll be fine."

"Right, ok, well call me later."

He told her and she gave a sound of agreement.

"I love you."

He said and she nodded even though he couldn't see her.

"I know. "

Then she hung up.

Looking up at the restaurant, it was hard to believe that it hadn't seemed to change in the seven years since she'd been gone. It doesn't look any different, she thought as she glanced in the windows but couldn't see her brother or anyone who resembled him. Taking a long breath she straightened her shoulders and walked in through the doors and almost stopped in her tracks as she saw that the inside hadn't changed one bit. Keeping her eyes straight ahead she strode over to the counter and leaned forward on it as the waitress finished serving two customer at the other end of the counter.

"Kyle will you stop whining!"

Isabel huffed when her brother asked her yet again to hook him up with a friend of hers.

"Isabel, I need to get laid, seriously, girls my age are in short supply around here..."

He trailed off as Max interrupted him.

"What about Stacey Lindman? She's your age."

"Girls my age and hot, I meant girls my age and hot are in short supply!"

He emphasized with a horrified look on his face at the mention of Stacey.

The occupants of the table laughed at his expression and Alex snorted.

"You are so vain Kyle."

"Yeah right, you act like I'm the only one who wants a hot girl."

Kyle snorted as he took a sip of his drink.

"Well, looks like you may be in luck, dear brother."

Isabel commented quietly as she watched a pretty brunette stroll into the restaurant at that moment. The occupants at the table turned to see who Isabel was looking at and Kyle whistled under his breath.

"Damn she's hot and I haven't seen her around here before, have any of you?"

"No but she looks a little familiar."

Isabel mumbled, she looks like I should recognised her from somewhere but I don't know where, maybe from school?

"Looks like I'll have to go introduce myself, offer to show her around."

Kyle replied smugly as he ran a hand through his hair.

"Bet you $10 she turns you down." Max replied immediately and Kyle laughed.

"$10 says she'll leave with me now."

Kyle offered and Alex tapped the table.

"I'll take some of that."

Max raised an eyebrow at his best friend.

"Not lacking any confidence today are we?"

He retorted and Kyle gave a devilish grin.

"Not at all. Get your money ready Max."

He said quickly as he stood up. He watched the brunette lean on the counter and speak to the waitress. She had incredibly long brown hair that fell down to the middle of her back and from what he could she, she had a great body. Slim and curvy in the right places, she wore a simple short, light blue, denim skirt on top of pair of incredible legs ending in black flip flops and a black halter neck top that stopped presumably above her belly button because Kyle could see the lower part of her back where a black tattoo showed clearly. He watched the waitress walk out the back before making himself known.
Behrgirl21
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Re: Going Back (AU M/L CC ADULT) Ch 21 7/22/08

Post by Behrgirl21 »

Hey guys!! So I have a little part, a lot shorter than normal, but I couldn't keep you all waiting too much longer.

Feedback!

L-J-L 76 Again lots of questions, you'll find out all the answers at some point!!
pandas2001 :lol: OK I'm back...
Emz80m Yep she does need to do this, you're right. Thank you!
begonia9508 wow you are a busy woman Eve, I'm glad you cna find time to read my story and leave me feedback! Yep Liz is kinda testing herself with this little trip. You are so right with the others not recognising her because they don't think it could be her. Thank you so much for the congrats and best wishes!
keepsmiling7 Yeah can you imagine what he's going to be like when he knows who she is...who he's been flirting with haha, you'll find out in this next part.
roswell3053 Glad you're back here reading, I have no idea why you wouldn't ge the email replies...you don't like Lucas? Who does? Even I don't like Lucas...but didn't Liz to be the single girl in this story...needed an obsticle right?
Alien_Friend I think everyone is a little proud of Liz for facing it. You think Lucas will show up? I like how you say he'll add more stress on Liz, that's probably an understatement. Max will be interesting...maybe not what everyone expects... glad you liked it!!
Blink1lit lol ok ok I'm back, see everyone telling me to get back here made me finish this part quicker!
GraceisGone26 Yes she does. Thank you!

Chapter 22

"Hi what can I get you?"

The waitress asked sweetly and Liz felt a smile appear despite her nervousness.

"Is Tommy Parker around?"

"Sure, I'll just go get him for you."

She said as she turned to walk out the back door. Just as she had disappeared, someone leaned next to her on the counter.

"Hi."

Said a deep voice and Liz rolled her eyes, great I've been back in town 5 minutes and someone's hitting on me. She continued to stare straight ahead as she replied.

"Hi."

"So you new in town or just passing through?"

He asked and she sighed.

"Just passing through I guess."

She replied, trying to sound bored to give this guy a hint.

"That's a shame, I was going to offer my services for a guided tour of our little town."

When she didn't reply and he hadn't seen her eyes rolling beneath her glasses he plodded on, slightly taken aback that she hadn't even looked at him yet.

"I'm Kyle by the way."

A hand appeared almost in front of her and Liz slowly turned to look at him, it couldn’t be my Kyle, could it? She thought as she let her gaze travel up the arm attached to the hand and settle on the familiar features on Kyle's face. The face that, no doubt about it, was once the cute face of Kyle Valenti. Is now the handsome face of Kyle Valenti! She said silently as she looked over his features slower than before, and she then realised that he hadn't recognised her yet.

Taking her silence as another rejected effort he pointed at her back.

"Nice tattoo you got there."

"Yeah I think so."

She commented slowly, trying to work out something intelligent to say because as soon as Tommy saw her she was going to encounter a very confused and angry Kyle. A Kyle she no longer knew or knew how he'd take her sudden appearance.

"I've got one on my back, at the top."

He admitted and she smiled, she'd have fun before Tommy got out here.

"Tattoos are hot."

She saw the interest flicker in his eyes and she tried to contain her laughter, if only he knew who he was flirting with, he'd have a heart attack.

Kyle was pleased that he'd finally got her interested, she's obviously not into talking about stupid things, she must be a bit of a wild one, my kind of girl.

"So do you fancy grabbing a bite to eat? I'll even show you my tattoo if you're good."

He winked and she gave a small laugh, unable to keep it in any longer.

"You don't recognise me do you?"

She blurted out and he frowned at her.

"Should I?"

He asked and she shook her head.

"I guess you'll find out..."

She began but she was interrupted by another male voice speaking next to her, the other side of the counter.

"I'm Tommy Parker, what can I do for you miss?"

Liz looked up into her brother's face and couldn't talk.
No matter how much she had convinced herself that she had moved past all her friends and Tommy, seeing him now pointed out for her that she had missed them all very much.

"Miss? Is there a problem?"

He asked, confusion etching his face as he looked at Kyle quickly. She shook her head and as she spoke she took her sunglasses off.

"No, I hope not."

She looked at him and she saw the moment his brain registered that it was his little sister staring back at him.

"Oh my god!"

He whispered as he walked to the end of the counter quickly and made his way in front of her, this caused her to have her back to the table where Max, Tess, Alex and Isabel were still watching.

"Is it really you?"

He asked again and Kyle frowned at Tommy.

"You know her?"

"Surprise Tommy!"

She said calmly, trying to joke, spreading her arms wide.

"Oh my god! Liz?"

He said again and she nodded as he swept her into his arms in a tight hug. She wasn't sure whether to hug him back or not but before she could do anything, he let her go.

"Holy shit! Liz?"

Kyle all but shouted and Isabel and Max looked at each other before making their way over to them.

Kyle turned her towards him and gasped.

"Jesus Christ! It is you!"

He pulled her into a hug and she smiled, feeling a familiar warmth that she once felt from being around her friends. As they pulled back a female voice broke through Liz's thoughts.

"Lizzie? Is it really you?"

Isabel asked and Liz turned to her, dreading the look of anger she thought would be there, instead, Isabel's bright blue eyes had tears swimming in them.

"Hi Isabel."

She whispered and before she knew it, Isabel had thrown her arms around Liz's neck and was crying into her shoulder.

"Oh god, it's you, it's really you!" She muttered as Liz's eyes then found a familiar pair of amber eyes watching her.

Max sat watching Kyle approaching the brunette and shook his head.

“I hope she turns him down.”

“He so deserves it if she does, he’s way too egotistical.”

Isabel agreed with Max as they watched Kyle attempt to make conversation, it seemed that the brunette wasn’t much into talking.

After a few minutes they saw Tommy walk towards her and speak to her and when she turned to face Tommy, with her back to the table, they saw the shock cover Tommy’s face.
When he rushed around the counter and stopped in front of her Max turned to frown at Isabel. What is going on? He wondered and when he heard Kyle shout he turned back to see Tommy hugging the brunette. Max took one look at a very pale Isabel and stood up at exactly the same time as her.
Liz? Is that Liz? Surely I would know if it was her? I’d have felt something the minute she’d walked in the door?

Since Liz had left all Max had convinced himself of was that he would know the instant she was back, so why hadn’t he known that the girl he was betting on was his old sweetheart?

Please don't hate me for leaving it there!! haha!!
:oops:
Behrgirl21
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Re: Going Back (AU M/L CC ADULT) Ch 22 7/31/08

Post by Behrgirl21 »

Guys I am so sorry for leaving you for a looooong time...hope you're all still here!!! :)
I tried to post a while ago but the site wouldn't let me on so I kept having to wait, took me about a week until I finally got back on and this next part isn't perfect enough for me but I didn't want to leave you much longer.

I'll Leave feedback this time because I'm sure you just want the next part to see how Max is with Liz. :wink: I know you guys think Liz is a cold hearted bitch right now, (some don't) but majority vote is Liz=bitch but you can't honestly expect her to be the same person after everything?? Can you?? :?

Chapter 23

"Max?" She asked and he nodded, standing stiffly to the side of Isabel but he made no move towards her.

"Liz, you look...so...so..."

He stumbled as he looked at her closely, definitely Liz, her eyes are still the same, showing everything she's feeling and she still looks the same just a little older.

"Hot! You look so hot! Way hotter than before!"

Kyle added onto Max's sentence and Liz grinned at him, feeling a blush spread across her face. This is going better than I thought, at least they seem happy to see me. She was a bit disappointed that Michael wasn't there, even though she hadn't told him she was coming back, it would have been nice have his secret support.

Isabel stepped forward, engulfing Liz into another hug and cried out.

"I thought I'd never see you again!"

Liz put her hand up to soothe Isabel by running her hand over her head awkwardly. I can't get attached again, it'll make it worse when I leave.

She took in the sight of them, Isabel was still beautiful, even more so now she was older, with her big blue eyes and long blonde hair.
Kyle had filled out, from what she could see of his muscular arms, his sandy coloured hair was slightly longer but he still looked as cheeky as ever.
Max looked like he hadn't changed a bit, he still had a very defined body from what she could see and his hair was still the same dark brown colour but longer and it made him look dangerous almost. She found her heart beating slightly quicker at the sight of him after all these years.

"I'm ok, I‘m here now."

She admitted quietly to Isabel and she saw anger flash across Max's handsome face.

"What the hell are you playing at?"

He ground out through clenched teeth and Liz frowned.

"What..."

He interrupted her quickly, his anger showing in his body language and face.

"You've been gone seven years Liz, seven years without a word and now you stroll back into our lives and what? What are you expecting to happen?"

She just stared at him, he's right, I know what this must look like and I don't expect anything from them, I'm not sure I want to stay for them either. Before she could reply, Tommy suggested they go into the back room to talk and they followed him. Once out the back from the restaurant Liz frowned at the blonde who had followed them to stand next to Max, who the hell is she?

Max spun around and cut her thoughts off,

"Well?" He snapped and she sighed.

"I know it's been seven years Max but I just...I couldn't..."

"Couldn't what? Call or write or anything to let us know you were safe? God Liz, we thought you were dead! We had convinced ourselves that there was no other explanation as to why you never got in touch!"

He was furious, how dare she walk in here now after all this time and act like nothing has happened, like we should forget that she left us all to carry on a life without us.
When Liz didn't answer but simply stared at him he felt his anger grow.

"Well aren't you going to say anything?"

"What do you want me to say?"

She shrugged, nothing I can say will make you less mad at me. She thought but continued speaking.

"Sorry isn't going to cover what I did and you'd just shout at me again anyway."

She watched as his face drained of anger into disbelief.

"You're not even going to apologise!" He stated rather than asked.

"You want an apology, fine, I'm sorry? I'm sorry for leaving and not saying goodbye, I had my reasons but maybe I could have dealt with it better than leaving a letter so I'm sorry for hurting you all."

She could feel her anger rising, I don't even want to be back here but I am, I'm back to help Tommy out, not to make amends with everyone.

"You're right, sorry doesn't cover it."

Max snorted with disgust, how did I ever love this girl, she's not the same person I knew back then.

"God Max what do you want from me?"

She said angrily, her voice rising slightly and Max strode forward so he was inches away from her face. His eyes showed a burning anger for her and she realised that she'd never seen that look on his face ever, despite all the things she had done in the past, yet she didn't back down or move away.

"I don't want anything from you. You aren't wanted here Liz, you should have stayed away. We've gotten on with lives that don't include you, you're nothing to me anymore, you're as good as dead to me."

He said with a calm voice that deceptively hid his fury. With that said he stormed out of the restaurant, the blonde running after him, leaving a stunned Liz, Kyle, Tommy, Isabel and a dark haired man behind.

"I guess I deserve that."

She sighed, running a hand through her hair as she turned to look at Isabel who regained her composure after Max's outburst. I should really go see how Max is, he's probably taking this harder than anyone but I don't want to leave Liz, this could be my final chance to make amends with her. She looked at the door once more and Liz spoke up.

"You can go after him if you want."

"I'm sorry, I should really go make sure he's ok."

Isabel said apologetically and Liz dismissed it with a wave of her hand, it's not like I expect any of you to take my side or listen to anything I have to say. She thought as she spoke.

"Don't worry about it."

"Can we talk later? Will you still be here?"

Isabel asked uncertainly and Liz nodded stiffly.

"Yeah."

"OK, great." She stepped forward and hugged Liz again.

"I'm so glad you're back."

She whispered before letting go and dragging the dark haired man with her. Kyle then opened his mouth to speak but Liz cut him off.

"I guess you need to go too. Don't worry about me, I was here to see Tommy anyway."

She winced as Kyle shrugged, nice Liz, just make it seem like you don't care whether you see them or not! Actually do I? She asked herself as Kyle waved, promising to see her later too.

She turned to her brother and saw the angry expression on his face.

"Where the hell have you been?"

He asked stiffly, she just appears out of no where and acts like she hasn't been gone for seven years!

"Just around."

She said quietly, not wanting to tell him exactly where she was in case she needed to hide again.

"Just around? That's not good enough Liz! Max was right, we thought you were dead, you just disappeared without a word..."

"I left a letter..." She begun but he cut her off.

"Is that all we deserved? We did everything for you and that's how you repaid us, by running away and leaving us a letter saying so! We thought you'd call or write after a while because leaving a letter suggested that you didn't want us to worry in the first place."

"I'm sorry, I don't know what you want me to say."

She argued and he sighed as his body sagged and he ran a hand over his face.

"You don't know how happy I am to see you alive and healthy."

He stepped forward and pulled her into a hug again. He smiled into her hair.

"What made you decide to come back?"

"I've come for the restaurant actually."

She said quietly as she pulled away from him. He frowned at her and she continued.

"It's what mum and dad wanted me to have and I just think that I've run away for long enough now and it's time to sort it out."

She shrugged, so that wasn't one hundred percent true but he didn't need to know what might hurt him.

"Just tell me one thing."

"Depends what it is." She asked wearily.

"Why did you run?"

"I needed a clean break from my old life."

She admitted truthfully, well, as truthful as she was willing to be at that moment.

"OK. Things are bad Lizzie, we need to talk."

He motioned for her to sit down on a chair and she did. Then she listened as he explained how bad their uncle made it for them during the last seven years.
******************************************************************************************************

Max stormed out of the restaurant and didn’t know where to go, so he just kept walking. He vaguely heard Tess calling to him but he didn’t slow down.

What was going through Liz’s head? How could she just turn up after all this time and act like nothing was wrong, or like she hadn’t just disappeared for seven years?

“Max wait!”

Isabel’s voice broke through his angry thoughts and he stopped and spun around to face her. She was running to catch up to him with Alex and Kyle jogging behind her and Tess behind them.

“Max…” Isabel began but Max cut her off.

“What the hell does she think she’s doing? Why after all this time?”

He asked her angrily and she shrugged. Isabel really didn’t know what was going on and she genuinely knew there wasn’t anything she could say to Max to make him understand or feel better.

“I don’t know, I really don’t know.”

She replied as the others came to a stop beside them.

“Max? Who was that?”

Tess asked curiously and Max turned his amber eyes to look at her, his girlfriend who was the total opposite to Liz.

He wasn’t sure who he was trying to convince more, Tess or himself, with his next statement.

“No one Tess, she’s no one.”
Behrgirl21
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Re: Going Back (AU M/L CC ADULT) Ch 24 9/11/08 AN 9/3/08

Post by Behrgirl21 »

Hi guys, here's the next part for you.
My last authros note pretty much covered what I wanted you guys to know reguarding the fic.

Feedback

pijeechinadoll hahaha my very own sound effects reader lol!!
Natalie36 Yep crazy times indeed, here's the mor you couldn't wait for.
keepsmiling7 Yep mad Max...
extingman Yeah as my author notes days it is most definately a max and liz fic. I wouldn't be writing it otherwise lol. Also just because it doesn't look like it in the near future doesn't rule out the possibility that it can happen. :mrgreen:
begonia9508 Yeah he could have been but wheres the fun in that?? :twisted:
roswell3053 You're right he probably will want to talk to her...you'll have to wait for that...and yes I can't stand Tess either...it will be a max and liz story again, not immediately because having them rush into each others arms would be an easier story for me to write about and a sloppy quick fix of the major problems they've had so far, and I'm not going to write and easy fic lol...

Chapter 24

She walked through the familiar grounds towards a place she only ever visited twice. Kneeling down on the soft grass she smiled despite the sad feeling working it's way around her stomach.

"Hey mum, hey dad, it's Lizzie."

She thought she would feel silly talking to them like they were sitting across from her, instead she found it oddly peaceful. She could tell them anything and they couldn't judge her or tell her off, they would simply listen whilst she worked things out.

"It's been a while huh? I'm sorry I haven't been back, I just couldn't face it, or I had just convinced myself that I was this whole other person where you never existed in my past. Coming back to Roswell is messing everything up again, I thought this would be a simple job to do, but it's not going to be, I can tell."

She paused as she heard a throat clear behind her. Turning around she saw Michael standing to the side and smiled.

"Hey Michael."

"So imagine my surprise when my brother calls me to tell me you came back from the dead."

He announced as he settled beside her on the ground. She rolled her eyes at him.

"I think he exaggerated just a little bit there."

"He's pretty worked up."

"I know, he didn't take my arrival very well."

She admitted as she ran her hand through her long dark hair.

"How'd that go? I heard that everyone was there."

Michael asked as he ran a hand through his own longer brown hair as his piercing green eyes watched her.

"It could have been worse. Actually I was surprised at their reaction at the beginning. Kyle hit on me but he hadn't recognised me at that point...."

"Typical Kyle then." Michael commented and Liz snorted.

"Isabel cried and hugged me, she seems genuinely happy to see me and wants to speak to me later. Max...he...pretty much hated on me from the start. Told me I was dead to him and that I should go away and never come back basically."

She shrugged, so it hurt that Max had said those things to her but really, who was she kidding, she fully deserved it.

"Yeah he said he'd told you some home truths, I guess he wasn't lying. He's distraught Liz, he's really upset about this whole thing. I don't think he truly let you go all those years ago, I don't think he's ever really moved on like he insists he has but he was hurt by you leaving, you have to understand that."

"I do understand it Mike, but it's not my burden to carry anymore, I've put it all behind me and I've moved on. I'm sorry if he hasn't been able to let me go but I never asked him to keep hold of me. He only has himself to blame for that."

She reasoned and Michael nodded slightly.

"I get where you're coming from and this is why it's hard, I've forgiven you and moved past it, it looks like Kyle and Isabel will be able to but Max? He's going to keep this against you."

"Well it doesn't matter anyway because I won't be here that long."

"That's what I'm worried about, he's going through this now after you've come back but what happens to him when you leave again and I can't tell him where you are?"

"Mike I'm so sorry that you're in this position but I promise you that I won't tell them that you've known where I was for the last few months. There's nothing I can do for Max, we're two different people now and he needs to deal with this in his own way."

She sighed and stood up.

"Let's go see your parents, the quicker I see them about the restaurant, the sooner I can get out of here."

She offered a hand to Michael, who accepted it and they started walking back toward the car park where his car was.

"I still can't believe you're sitting here right now."

Diane said quietly as she stared at Liz, it had been seven long years left wondering if the daughter of their best friends was alive or not but she couldn't be angry at her for leaving. It was simply too much for her to bare staying in Roswell, but looking at the young woman sitting next to her, she would never have guessed that this woman had been through such a heart breaking past.

"I know, I can't quite believe that I'm back, I never thought..."

She trailed off and mentally slapped herself, if you keep shooting your mouth off before filtering your thoughts then you're going to offend someone pretty quickly. These are your parents' best friends, act happier to see them!

"Well, not that we aren't glad to have you back but why did you come back?"

Philip asked getting straight to the point and Liz felt relief pour through her, at last, someone who wants to talk business!

"Well, I'm here for the restaurant actually or rather, I'm here to sign it over to someone else."

She spoke in her efficient business voice that always made people feel like they had no room to argue. All the years spent becoming a different person paid off when she dealt with her business because the old Liz Parker would have never been able to say everything she was thinking regardless of the consequences.

"I see, well we can certainly sort that out for you but..." Liz cut Philip off.

"I can pay you whatever your fee is for doing this for me but I want it done as soon as possible as I'm not sticking around too long."

"I understand, Liz I don't expect you to pay me for this..."

"I'd feel much better about this if you'd just accept my payment because if I don't know what your fee is then I shall simply leave the cash here for you before I go home."

"OK well, if that's what you want then I'll get on it..."

They were interrupted by someone entering the living room. Liz knew who it was before she had even turned around.

"What's she doing here?"

Max snapped at his parents, here they are playing happy families with her after all she's done to us!

"Mind your manners Max."

Diane scolded him and he frowned.

"I'll mind them when I have reason to."

He said to his mother before turning his amber gaze onto Liz.

"So you're jumping straight back into your old life and you expect everyone to just play along?"

Liz frowned at him when he was rude but her gaze moved to the blonde standing next to him. She was very pretty, with curly blonde hair, big blue eyes and a body other girls would be jealous of and one that men would dream of.

She must be a friend of Max's, Michael never mentioned a girlfriend or anything. At least I hope she's not his girlfriend, he never liked blondes before.

She thought but then Max's comment made her gaze move to him, she sighed, here we go again, can't he just give it a rest?

"No I'm not, I'm not that person anymore, I haven't been that person for years and you being hostile isn't going to make the situation any better. I know I hurt you and I'm sorry, whether you believe me or not but I'm going to be here for a while so if you can't be civil to me then don't speak to me at all."

She snapped back, she couldn't help that he made her so angry, why does he have to make this difficult, why can't he just leave me alone to deal with what I'm here for?

Max stared at her, did Liz just tell him off? His Liz was never this out-spoken before! She's not your Liz anymore, she hasn't been for years and she's certainly not the same Liz that left all those years ago.

"Hi, I'm Tess, Max's fiancée."

The blonde stepped forward and held her hand out to Liz. Liz froze when her hand was shaking Tess' hand, he's engaged? Michael never told me that! Her gaze flicked to Michael who had the decency to look guilty. She recovered when Tess frowned at her slightly. Liz could see that she was testing the waters, to see who she really was and whether she was a threat. Two can play this game sweetie. Liz thought as she smiled and replied.

"Liz, the alienated ex-girlfriend, nice to meet you."

She said sweetly, as Tess's smile faltered, she then found it hard to breath as she watched Tess step back beside Max and put an arm around him possessively.

"I have to go but I'll arrange a meeting with you at some point Philip."

She said as she gathered her bag and Diane hugged her one last time.

"Liz, I'll drive you back to your hotel."

Michael offered quickly, I need to apologise for not warning her that Max was engaged.

Awkwardly she made her way past Max and Tess and out towards the front door with Michael behind her. Once in his car she turned to him.

"Thanks for the warning back there." She snapped and he winced.

"I'm sorry Liz, I didn't know he was bringing her home with him and I didn't even know you were going to show up."

"You still should have told me before we got to your parents' house!"

She was angry, angry that Max was engaged? She didn't really want to think too deeply on that one.

"I know but what would you have done if I had? Not gone around there? You said so yourself, he needs to move past you and with Tess he is."

When she didn't say anything he took a deep breath and said what he was really thinking.

"Seeing him after all this time, does it make you...I mean do you still have feelings for him?"

Liz's head swung around to look at Michael, am I that transparent?

"Of course not, I stopped feeling things for anyone when I left, I had no right to feel things for Max after I left him. What gives you that impression?"

Michael shrugged but stayed silent. Just the fact that you went pale when Tess introduced herself as his fiancée. That and the fact that your eyes betray your emotions every time.

Liz sat and watched Roswell passing by, seeing everyone after so long was hard, no matter how much she told herself and tried to convince Michael that she didn't feel anything for them anymore, she was afraid that it wasn't true. She didn't want to admit to that because if she did then leaving again would be harder and she wasn't sure she could handle another clean break this time.

********************************************************************************************************************************
Liz was lying on her bed reading a magazine when there was a knock on the door, she got up and opened it to find Isabel standing there, twirling a piece of blonde hair around her finger.

"Isabel hi."

Liz quickly glanced behind Isabel to make sure no other visitors lurked there.

"Tommy told me where you were staying, I hope you don’t mind but I was hoping we could talk."

She said quietly and Liz nodded, feeling her body tense suddenly at the thought of where their talk would go. As much as I don't want to talk about the past, I can't stop Isabel from doing it.

She let Isabel step past her and closed the door. Taking a seat on one of the two chairs in the room she watched as Isabel took the second chair and began talking.

"I don't know where to start. I had this whole speech planned out before I got here, I was going to tell you how angry I was at you and how selfish you were for leaving but now...sitting here in front of you...I can't be mad at you and now my speech just...I can't say..."

She paused and took a deep, shaky breath and gave Liz a small smile,

"I'm not explaining myself very well am I?"

"I understand."

Liz commented and to say she was shocked at Isabel's confession was an understatement.

Isabel watched shock find its way across Liz's face before disappearing quickly. She was taking a chance when she told Liz that when she really wanted to be angry at her, she couldn't be, because since Liz had left she had found it difficult to open up to anyone except Max, Michael and Kyle. They had stuck together through all their pain and anger over Liz leaving and not being able to find her and she had never been able to let anyone else in to take the place that Liz had left behind. Not even Alex.

After a few minutes of awkward silence, in which the ex best friends avoided looking at each other, Isabel shifted uncomfortably and spoke quickly before she lost her nerve.

"I'm sorry for everything I said to you that day in the hospital."

Liz snapped her chocolate coloured eyes onto Isabel's pretty face. Where did that come from? What is she talking...oh that day. Realisation dawned on Liz and she sighed.

"I don't want an apology Isabel. It's all in the past, I've forgotten about it."

"Have you? I mean...how can you just forget everything that happened? I remember every little detail from back then everyday."

She whispered the last sentence and Liz felt her heart break for Isabel. Here I am moving on and assuming they have when Isabel has reminded herself everyday about it and let it consume her.

"You can't let it take over your life, no one can live like that."

"I can't help it, I never forgave myself for what happened to you back then, none of us did and I haven't been able to forget either."

A tear slipped down Isabel's cheek and Liz felt a lump form in her throat. What was she supposed to say or do? She didn't know Isabel anymore, she certainly wasn't the lively, bubbly girl she was way back when, yet Liz found that she wanted to comfort Isabel and reassure her that from then on, everything would be alright. But I can't promise her that, I'm not sure it will be.

"I'm so sorry Isabel, I never thought..."

Liz began but Isabel cut her off with a wave of her hand.

"Yeah well, it's all in the past now right? No sense in going over it all again with 'what ifs'."

"Sure but I am sorry, for everything I've put you through, I never meant for it to hurt you as much as it has. I just...had to go...staying wasn't an option and I couldn't speak to any of you and for that I'm sorry too."

Liz felt a tear slip down her face and she wiped it away. Isabel smiled at her then.

"I forgive you Lizzie, I'm not saying I'll forget but I will forgive you and I just hope we can start over for the time being."

Liz stared into Isabel's bright blue eyes, I can't believe she wants to start over with me after all I've done and everything I've ruined. She should hate me, they all should but for some reason she's giving me another chance.

The only problem was whether Liz was willing to allow them to start over or crush any hope Isabel had at getting her friend back all because she now had a different life that couldn't coincide with her past.
*************************************************************************************************************************************

Wasn't sure where to leave this so i chose here. Their conversation will continue in the next part after I get some feedback. :twisted:
Behrgirl21
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Re: Going Back (AU M/L CC ADULT) Ch 24 9/11/08

Post by Behrgirl21 »

Hi got a new part for you but I'm posting it and runnign so no feedback for you guys but thatnkyou for yours!!

Chapter 25

Liz wasn’t sure what to say, Isabel was forgiving her? Well she hadn’t expected that in a million years, yet a part of her knew that Isabel was one of the most forgiving people she knew, or had known.

“Liz I’m not going to pressure you into anything but I do want to get to know you again.”

Liz took a deep breath, she wasn’t sure why her heart was pounding, or why she felt happy that Isabel still wanted to be friends after everything she had done.

“Sure, I’d like that.”

She found herself saying even when the other part of her was screaming at her not to get attached.

Isabel beamed at her before moving on to talking about her life since Liz had been gone but Liz barely listened because she was torn between taking her ‘sure I’d like that’ back or just going with it and seeing what happened.

"...that's how we met and since that day I think he knew he wanted to be with me forever, I just took a little longer to realise it but now we're making the wedding plans and I'm so excited!"

Isabel gushed and Liz couldn't help the genuine smile she felt on her face. Isabel isn't doing so badly, she's got what sounds like a great fiance and a nice life. Yet Liz couldn't understand why she suddenly felt jealous and upset that Isabel was engaged and she hadn't known about it.

"I'm so happy for you Isabel, really, Alex sounds like a wonderful guy."

"Oh my god, you should meet him! He's home right now, he's cooking and I'm sure there's more than enough for you, you should come over for dinner."

Liz laughed at the quick plans Isabel was making, I guess that's one thing we still have in common, planning things, she thought as she remembered that she had the club booked for a party in a few weeks. Maybe dinner with Isabel wouldn't hurt, it's only dinner and Isabel really wanted her to go.

"Alright, if you're sure Alex won't mind."

She checked and Isabel waved her hand.

"Please, Alex will do anything for me and he knows how important you are to me..."

She trailed off, uncertainly whether Liz would close up if she mentioned her departure again. Liz has definitely warmed up to me since I first saw her, she seems a bit like her old self.

"OK let's go then."

Liz stood up and grabbed her purse and followed Isabel out to her car and jumped in beside her.

They drove for a few minutes before Isabel parked in front of a large house. Getting out Liz whistled.

"Wow Isabel, this is a beautiful house."

She followed Isabel to the front door as she spoke.

"Thanks, it's great, took me ages to organise where I wanted everything to go, I think that was the closest Alex came to wanting to kill me..."

She was cut off by a tall, thin, dark haired guy opening the door and smiling brightly at them.

"She only made us men move the furniture seven damn times in each room! Even after that it all ended up in the same place it started in!"

He said in a deep voice as he stared lovingly at Isabel. Liz couldn't help the little pang of jealousy at the sight, Lucas never stares at me like that, ever.

Isabel kissed him quickly then grabbed Liz's arm and dragged her into the house. Turning her around to see the man, he held his hand out.

"You must be Liz."

He said with a twinkle in his eyes, and Liz immediately felt at ease around him. She took his hand and gave a bright smile.

"Nice to meet you."

"I invited Liz over for dinner, I hope you made enough."

Isabel told him as she led Liz towards a room.

"Of course, I just spoke to your brother, he's on his way round, he invited himself."

He chuckled and Liz rolled her eyes.

"Kyle was always inviting himself over."

Isabel offered Liz a drink and she accepted the glass of wine with a nod. They sat down in the lounge and Alex looked at Liz.

"I have to be totally honest with you Liz, I really don't know what to talk to you about since every polite conversational question will refer to your life and Isabel has obviously told me that it's a bit of a sore subject."

Liz almost spat out her drink, well that certainly was honest, yet he was right, any question would make her answer one to her life as it is now and it may upset Isabel to find out that she has a good life away from everyone. She thought as she wiped her mouth from the tiny bit of wine that had escaped her mouth.

Isabel looked shocked and she slapped Alex's shoulder.

"Alexander Whitman! That was incredibly rude!"

"No no, it's ok, I understand and thank you for being honest Alex."

Liz said quickly to try and rescue the poor guy from being beaten by Isabel. Isabel frowned at her but Liz waved a hand at her.

"Honestly, it's fine, I appreciate a bit of honesty but he's right, small talk will make us all uncomfortable. So let's just skip that."

"Sure, great, so I hope you like Italian food Liz."

Alex said brightly as he stood up and bowed to the girls, earning him a laugh from both.

Some time later as they sat at the dinner table, Liz couldn't resist herself as she glanced at Kyle sitting opposite her.

"So Kyle, we've had dinner now do I get to see your tattoo since I've been good?"

Referring to his flirting earlier in the restaurant. His face turned red and she couldn't help but laugh as Isabel frowned.

"What are you talking about?"

"In the restaurant earlier, when Kyle came up to me and was shamelessly flirting with me, he told me if we had something to eat and I was good then I could see his tattoo."

"Yeah thanks Liz, way to ruin a guys reputation."

Kyle mumbled into his hands covering his face. Alex laughed and clapped Kyle on the back.

"I'd feel sorry for you mate but you lost me $10."

"You made a bet on me?" Liz asked surprised.

"Yeah and he lost badly."

"That's so funny, wow, you really have some ego Kyle."

Liz teased and he shrugged.

"Dude I needed some action and I didn't recognise you at all."

"So you don't find me hot then?"

She teased in a sultry voice that made Isabel giggle.

"Liz, you're like my long lost sister, I do not want to go there."

He teased back but didn't realise the implications of his words as the table erupted into silence and Liz coughed awkwardly, well that put a damper on things. She pushed her chair away from the table.

"I'd better be heading back now. Thanks for dinner, it was delicious Alex."

She watched as Isabel glared at Kyle then stood up and walked Liz to the door with Alex in tow.

"I'm so sorry about Kyle."

Isabel said quietly and Liz smiled, pulling her jacket on.

"Don't be silly, he didn't do anything wrong. I just have some business to take care of that requires a few phone calls that's all."

Alex smiled and held a hand up in a wave.

"It's been nice getting to know you Liz."

"You too Alex, thanks for having me over."

"Liz you're welcome here whenever you want."

Isabel whispered right before she grabbed Liz in a tight hug. I don't want to loose you again Liz, but I'm scared that we'll say something to frighten you away again. Isabel thought silently as she felt a tear threatening to slip down her face.
Although this time when Liz hugged her back the tear did slip and she held on tightly for what seemed like forever until Liz spoke.

"Thank Isabel, I'll keep that in mind."

She felt Isabel smile as she pulled away. What was I supposed to say, thanks but no thanks? Really, what am I going to do because I came here adamant that I wouldn't get tied up with them again yet here I am missing our friendship and wishing I...well I'm not sure what I'm wishing for but I don't like feeling this out of control.

She quickly let herself out and began the walk to her hotel. Once inside she quickly took a shower then as she pulled a brush through her hair, she called Lucas.

"Hello?"

His deep voice floated down the line, suddenly Liz felt home sick, she wanted to go home and be with Lucas and Stu and Maria. Maybe I do love Lucas and just don't realise it, if he can make me feel homesick by just talking then maybe my feelings run deeper.

"It's me."

"Izzy? How's it going babe?"

"OK I guess."

She reluctantly said as she pulled on a pair of bed time shorts she loved with red hearts on them and struggled to get her tank top over her head.

"You guess? That arrangement not going well huh?"

He said sarcastically and she sighed, he knew that she wasn't here for business.

"Who told you?"

"Maria let it slip. So, Roswell is your hometown huh?"

He sounded smug, like he had just found out a crucial piece of information that was going to get him what he wanted.

"Yep."

She replied, annoyed with Maria for not keeping her mouth shut.

"Don't worry baby, I don't care where you're from. So are you there to see family?"

"Something like that."

She replied vaguely, no way was she going to offer more information than necessary.

"You don't sound too happy to be there."

He responded quietly and she felt a lump form in the back of her throat, give the guy a gold star, I've only told him a dozen times that my past is one I don't want to remember so it doesn't take a genius to figure out that I wouldn't be happy here. Yet his words caused her to think about her old friends, and the reaction they'd given her.

"I'm not, really, it sucks right now to be honest."

She pinched the bridge of her nose to stop the tears threatening to spill.

"Do you want me..."

She didn't hear the rest of his words as someone knocked on her door.

"Listen I have to go, I'll call you in a couple of days ok?"

She flipped close her phone before he could reply and she swung open the door to find Max standing the other side, his hands in the pockets of his jeans.

She stood staring at him, what the hell was he doing here, standing at my door... She frowned as Max swept his gaze down her body and back up again. What the hell is he doing looking at me like that...oh god...am I naked? Oh god I might as well be! She thought as she glanced down at herself and saw her tiny shorts and tank top that she wore to bed.

"What are you doing here Max?"

She asked politely, resisting the urge to cover up, not that it matters, he's seen you naked before.

"We need to talk."

He said stepping into the room as she stood aside. He paused in the middle of the floor and turned to watch her as she closed the door. She still looks as beautiful as I remember.

"Well?" She asked with a raised eyebrow.

"I'm so angry with you."

He simply stated and she nodded.

"I got that."

"We looked everywhere for you."

He almost whispered and she knew it wasn't because it was a painful memory, it was because he was that angry at her he was trying to control himself.

"I didn't want to be found."

She replied softly, this is going to get worse before it gets better.

"Why did you leave?"

He asked quietly, his amber eyes boring into her own.

"Max I don't think we should be doing this right now, I don't want to bring up painful memories..."

"Painful for who?"

He demanded and she sighed, running a hand through her still wet hair.

"For everyone."

"You at least owe us an explanation as to why you left, and not the excuse you used in the letter."

"I don't owe you anything!" She snapped at him and he frowned.

"You've changed."

He couldn't believe she was being like this, the Liz he knew would never have acted this way.

She nodded at him, it's great that you've finally noticed! Now I don't have to pretend I'm not this whole other person.

"Yeah I'm not the poor little victim I was back then, I've moved on and evidently so have you with...Tess...was it?"

She couldn't help the bitchiness in her words, he was making her angry, judging her after all this time.

"You don't know what you're talking about, I've gotten on as best as I can with my life since you left me..."

His voice was beginning to rise but before he could continue, her phone started ringing. She turned and answered it quickly, grateful for the interruption.

"Hello?"

"Baby it's me."

"Lucas, I'm a bit busy right now..."

She began with a nervous glance at Max.

"I was thinking that maybe I should come over there, be with you for this, you sounded upset and I want to be there for you."

His deep voice rushed out, knowing that she probably wouldn't go for it. She resisted the urge to roll her eyes, he's trying, what more do you want? He wants to spend a life with you and Max can't stand you...wait when did Max come into the equation? The thought shocked her and she swallowed nervously.

"Baby I really don't think that's a good idea, and I'm fine now, really, I was just having a bad day."

"I just think you'd cope better with someone there who is there for you."

He persisted and she sighed.

"Honestly, I was just being emotional earlier and I'm doing fine now. You don't need to worry."

She tried to lower her voice in awareness of Max but wasn't sure it was working.

"Look I'll call you tomorrow."

She rushed to get him off the phone and when he grudgingly agreed to a call she hung up and took a deep breath before turning around.

"Looks like you've moved on like I have, that the boyfriend was it?"

He said with a sarcastic tone to his voice as she turned to face him. Glaring at him she shook her head and pointed her phone towards him.

"That's none of your business and I'm not about to discuss my life with someone who would rather me dead!"

She almost shouted at him, how dare he think that he could interfere with her life? He wasn't in it anymore and he had his own life to sort out!

Max flinched at her words, reminded of what he had said to her earlier, how could I have said that? Despite being angry at her I would never wish her dead! But at that moment I did mean it, thinking that she was dead was easier than thinking that she was alive out there somewhere without him to protect her.

"I'm sorry about that, I didn't really mean it, I was just angry."

He offered as an apology but Liz shook her head slightly, anger still flaming in her brown eyes.

"That's the thing Max, you did mean it, and I'm not the only one who has changed. The Max I knew would never have said that to me. I'm not asking for forgiveness Max, I'm not even asking you to like me anymore, all I'm asking for is for you to be civil to me. I'm going to be seeing your parent's quite a bit and I just want to sort the restaurant out without getting into huge fights every time I see you. Can you do that?"

She saw him nod stiffly as he looked over her shoulder. He can't even bare to look at you anymore. That's how much you screwed him up.

"Fine, if that's what you want then that's what I'll do. I'd better go."

He began to move to the door and Liz watched him go. As he stepped outside he turned back and she raised an eyebrow as he spoke softly.

"There's something I need you to do for me."

"What?"

"If you plan on leaving again, say goodbye to everyone face to face this time. I don't think we'd survive another disappearance."

He waited for her reply as he hoped she hadn't heard his slip of the tongue when he'd said 'we' instead of 'they'.

"I will"

She promised, it's the least I could do this time round. Yet he'd included himself in that statement, what did that mean? She didn't dwell on it any more as she saw Max close the door, leaving her standing in the middle of the room alone.
******************************************************************************************************************************
Behrgirl21
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Re: Going Back (AU M/L CC ADULT) Ch 25 9/15/08

Post by Behrgirl21 »

Hi guys new part for you! It's not as long as the others but it'll keep you going until I finish the next part. :D

Feedback

begonia9508 Yeah you're right, they've both put walls between them and they can't break through.
keepsmiling7 Thankyou so much and you are spot on, there are a lot of issues unresolved, lots of work for them ahead.
nitpick23 lol are you feeling better after that rant. You're right though. And you'll see the uncle soon...
Alien_Friend Of course he still thinks he's attractive. You are so right, she hasn't moved on as well as she thought.
Natalie36 yeah they have.
crazedearthgirl LOL I know I need to do something about Tess!! I'm working on it...
Emz80m Yeah her actions are that great right now.
pandas2001 hmmm I think you're on to something...
roswell3053 Thanks, I think...I promise I'm going to sort the Tess situation out!

Chapter 26

"Hey Tommy."

She said as he opened the restaurant door to let her in. He smiled at her stiffly and she noticed.

"What's wrong?"

She asked as she took her jacket off, leaving her in faded and ripped jeans and a blue tank top.

"Nothing really." He mumbled as he led her out the back into the office.

"Are you sure."

She didn't believe her brother for an instant and it surprised her to realise that she still recognized his mannerisms after all these years.

"It's just...Brian's been gone for a week and it's just normal but I'm expecting him to come through the door any second now and ruin something else."

He sat down on one of the chairs and rubbed his face. For the first time since she'd arrived, Liz saw the weariness in her brother's face and thought he looked old, with the tension lines around his face, lines no doubt had been there since she had left.

"OK...well we'll deal with him when he shows up but just forget about him for now."

She couldn't deny that she was nervous about seeing the man who was supposed to be her uncle but had been her abuser instead. I've changed, he can't hurt me anymore, I won't let him. She convinced herself silently, hoping that she was right.

"So let's go over these figures shall we?" She said brightly as they began to work the day away.

***************************************************************************************************************
After receiving a call from Philip inviting her and Tommy over for dinner, Liz agreed at his insistence, and so later that day she had gone back to her room to shower and changed.

Dinner was a little awkward with Max and Liz stealing glances at each other whilst the others watched amused but when dinner was finished, Liz was thankfully saved from small talk as her phone started ringing.

"I'm sorry, I have to get this, it's work."

She said quietly as she turned around in her seat and answered the phone.

"Hello?"

"Izzy, thank god you answered, the Taylor party want to up their number of guests and I can't find the contract."

Stu's deep southern drawl came over the line and Liz found her self missing him fiercely.

"Firstly calm down, the contract is in my room, I was going over a few things the other night but they've signed the contract for a set number of people, they can't change the numbers."

She sighed, she knew this party was going to be more trouble than it was worth.

"I told them that but they won't listen, they're insisting that we change it."

"Is Mr. Taylor there?"

"Yeah."

"Put him on." She demanded and as she listened to Stu walking around she turned back to the table to find everyone staring at her.

"I'm really sorry about this."

She whispered to them and Philip waved her away.

"It's business, we understand."

She nodded but then Mr.Taylor came over the line.

"Mr.Taylor, you've signed the contract for a set number of people..."

She began but he cut her off.

"I know but you're the owner, you can make another one. We have to up the numbers by another 100."

"OK but if you want to up the numbers by 100 people then it's going to up the cost considerably. I'll need to hire more door staff and security and close the club to the public."

She was painfully aware that this was not the most ideal conversation to be having in front of everyone because she was revealing where she worked.

"I don't care what the cost is, it's my daughter's birthday, she's gets whatever she wants. Is everything else in order?"

He asked briskly and she rolled her eyes.

"Yes, the ice sculptures are ordered and we've got a final list on the male dancers that needs to be approved..."

"I'm sure you're more than capable of hiring some dancers, you make the final call on them as long as they are exactly what my daughter wanted."

"Ok I'll sort that as soon as I'm back in town."

"That's another thing, you aren't going to be disappearing every couple of days are you? We came to you because you're good at what you do and you're very hands on with the planning, I'd hate for it to be neglected, it wouldn't be good for your reputation."

He left the underlying threat open and she recognised it instantly.

“I do hope you aren’t threatening me Mr. Taylor.”

She replied politely, mentally swearing at the man.

“I’m merely pointing out the facts Miss. Hudson.”

Came his smug reply.

"I assure you I am on top of this. As soon as I'm back in town I'll draw up another contract and personally bring it round for you to sign."

"Great."

He said then hung up, without giving the phone back to Stu. Putting the phone onto the table she turned back to face everyone and Tess spoke up from next to Max.

"So what is it you do Liz?"

Liz thought for a minute, does she tell them and accept the fact that now they know she's alive that they could easily find her now or refuse to tell them and make them suspicious, undoubtedly they'd still try to find her?

"I co-own a club and do event planning on the side."

She admitted truthfully. Across the table, Michael smiled at her and she knew he was happy that she was opening up to them, it would make it less harder on him.

"So you get to audition male dancers all day?"

Isabel teased and Alex feigned a shocked look to which Isabel poked her tongue out at him.

"For this particular party, yes, but that's not just what I do and I've watched much worse."

Liz laughed nervously and wriggled in her seat when she saw Max staring at her and Tess looking from Max to Liz and back to Max again.

"How much do you charge for planning events?"

Kyle asked next to her and she shrugged.

"It varies depending on the occasion and how big it is. My fee is usually a certain percentage of what the total event costs, so the bigger it is and the more stuff they want, the more I get for the planning."

"Cool, maybe I should become a planner."

Isabel said jokingly and Liz smiled at her.

"You'd make a good planner."

She nodded, then her attention was drawn to Diane as she asked.

"How did you come to co-own a club sweetheart?"

"Well, when I left I got a job, paid my way through college, got my business degree and met my business partner as I was doing the degree. He got me a job in this club and just after I finished the degree the owner wanted to sell the place and offered it to Stu and I. We bought it eventually and worked from there."

She shrugged and looked at Tommy beside her when he spoke.

"You never said you'd done a degree."

He frowned, I don't even know my sister anymore. She's been back two days and I haven't tried to find out what she had been doing since she left...what kind of a brother am I? I promised myself I'd be a better brother to her if she came back and I haven't.

"You never asked, besides it's no big deal."

She shrugged feeling uncomfortable for some reason, but her brother didn't let it go.

"Yes it is, the restaurant is yours and you have a business degree, if anyone can pick it up you can. Better than I ever could."

As Liz began shaking her head Max cut in from across the table, his amber eyes staring right into hers as she looked up at him.

"He's right and I think it's great that you got your degree and did it on your own terms. I'm proud of you."

His eyes melted into her and she could swear her heart skipped a beat and she stopped breathing for a second before she blushed.

"It really isn't that big of a deal. It was just something I had to do."

"Why choose a business degree?" Alex asked, leaning forward and leaning on his hands.

"It seemed like the best option for me at that point."

She answered vaguely and Alex frowned.

"Did you always want to do business management, I mean, is it something you saw yourself doing or just something you chose because it was there?"

"Um, well, it was the sensible option right then, an option that would ensure I could provide for myself."

She took a deep breath, he was obviously fishing for information for Isabel, whether she knew it or not and Liz decided that she'd give him the information he wanted as she carried on.

"I had just left here and was struggling to get a job that paid enough for me to survive. I figured the smartest move was to do a degree which would be beneficial to me the most and business was that."

She looked Alex straight in the eyes and hoped everyone else was happy now they knew how she had struggled, evidently they all wanted to know what she had been doing and now they knew. Despite her better judgement of not telling them anything, this was quickly going out the window with every hour she spent with them.

"I admire that you chose that path at such a young age when things were obviously very difficult for you."

Alex said quietly and she smiled softly,

"Thank you."

He winked back at her then, showing her she had a friend and she chanced a glance at Max, noticing Tess glaring at her from his side. What is her problem? She wondered as Isabel cleared her throat and smiled at Liz.

"Maybe you could help us plan the wedding? You know, give a few tips and such?"

Liz nodded, what can I say? No? It's not an option anymore, I've let them get closer than I wanted and now I can't just turn my back on them.

"We appreciate it and we'll pay you for your services."

Alex piped up and Kyle burst out laughing.

"You make her sound like a prostitute!"

He laughed and Alex blushed as he rolled his eyes, small amounts of laughter erupted around the table and Liz reached over and slapped his head.

"Hey! No need for that!"

Kyle complained as he rubbed his head.

"Whatever."

She replied then turned to Isabel and Alex.

"Don't be silly about paying me, I wouldn't charge you but I can't give you my full attention for another few weeks because of other arrangements."

"Sure, we don't expect you to drop everything else, I'm sure you're very busy."

Isabel responded with a smile lighting up her pretty face. They were interrupted by Tommy's phone ringing and him answering.

"Hi...wait what?...I'll be right there...yeah...sure..."

He hung up and looked over to Philip.

"I have to leave, Brian has finally shown up."
***************************************************************************************************************************************
Behrgirl21
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Re: Going Back (AU M/L CC ADULT) Ch 26 9/25/08

Post by Behrgirl21 »

Hi all, sooooo sorry about the long absence. I've had some stuff going on and haven't been able to post the next part. Things are starting to sort themselves out but this time I'll leave the feedback and just say thankyou for it all and get on with the new part.

Chapter 27

Liz froze and nine pairs of eyes all settled on her. So this is it, I have to see my uncle once again, I have to go with Tommy to get rid of Brian for good.

"I'll come with you."

She said after a moments pause in which she composed herself. She would not show any weakness.

"No, you aren't going anywhere near him."

Tommy shook his head, I've failed her once before, no way am I going to expose her to him again.

"It's my restaurant Tommy, I'm taking it back and I'm going to get rid of him."

She said stubbornly, despite her nerves rolling around in her stomach.

"Are you sure that's a good idea? You haven't seen him since..."

Isabel asked quietly and Liz shook her head as she stood up.

"I'm not scared of him anymore, I've got to see him sooner or later to throw his ass out of my restaurant."

She picked her bag up and the others began to follow suit.

"We'll come too, for support."

Kyle added and they all agreed to go except for Philip and Diane and Tess. So the old friends gathered their things and left for the restaurant.

Their arrival at the restaurant was greeted by the shouts of Brian from within. Tommy ran ahead and ushered an abusive Brian out the back as Liz entered the restaurant and took charge, reassuring the few customers in there that they would receive a free meal for the interruption. Her friends stood and watched a whole new Liz stride around professionally and confidently in her business. When the last customer had left, they helped Liz to clean as she sent the staff home.

Some time later Tommy came back downstairs and gave Liz a small smile.

"He's upstairs."

She moved over to him and gave him a hug, she could tell he was tired of this game, and she felt guilty at having left him here with this to deal with. As she pulled away the door opened from the back and out stumbled Brian Parker. He stopped in front of Tommy and pointed at Liz.

"Who the fuck is she?"

He demanded angrily, getting closer to Tommy. Liz stepped forward and glared at the wreck that was once her uncle. She was disgusted to think that he was related to her father.

"It must be hard to recognise me without all the bruises on my face."

She snarled at him, aware that getting him mad was probably not the best thing to do but all her anger was building up and she had to let it out.

He squinted at her then his eyes widened for a second before returning to their glare.

"It's you, little Elizabeth has come home, well guess what? You are not coming back in here, get out!"

He growled at her and she shook her head.

"No, this is my restaurant, you have to go. You will no longer be needed to run this place since I will be taking it over from here."

She demanded back. His face began to turn red with rage as he stepped closer to her.

"I should have gotten rid of you when I had the chance!"

He snarled and Liz heard Isabel gasp somewhere behind her. Taking the last remaining steps towards him she was barely containing her anger.

"I'm not scared of you, you can't scare me anymore. If you think you can intimidate me into leaving the restaurant to you then you have another thing coming."

She could feel her whole body shaking with anger but she didn't care.

Max watched this new Liz oozing confidence in the face of, probably, her biggest fear. Brian Parker. Yet here she was verbally kicking his ass and he was so proud of her and who she had become.

Brian scowled at Liz but she didn't back down.

"You left, I've kept this business going, you have no right to waltz back in here and take it back!"

He shouted at her and she snorted, putting her hands on her hips.

"Tommy has been keeping this business running not you. You're pathetic, still the same old drunk..."

She stopped as he grabbed her arm roughly, his fingers digging into her arm painfully, but she refused to show that it was hurting her. He doesn't control me! He's nothing! She repeated the mantra in her head and saw, out of the corner of her eye, someone step forward as if to help her but she shook her head and told them,

"No don't interfere, this is my fight."

She put her full angry gaze onto his older, wrinkled face and spoke from the hate in her heart.

"He can't help it if he's so pathetic that he has to hit people to make him feel better about himself. You disgust me, you're nothing to anyone, I hate you, Tommy tolerates you but who else is there?"

She paused as she gathered her nerves for what she was about to say, vaguely aware that they were all listening and watching the scene unfold before them as she continued.

"No one, you're more alone than I am, I pity you."

She spoke those last few words with more hatred for him and herself than she knew she could feel in a life time. She watched, unsurprised when he raised his hand and she growled a warning at him,

"If you hit me I swear you'll go down for it and this time, I will be around to make sure you get what you deserve."

He studied her for a minute and then laughed in her face, his breath stinking of alcohol and making her feel sick.

Before she could do anything he slapped her so hard she fell straight back onto the floor. She had been hit before but never that hard from a slap, her vision was blurry and she felt dizzy as she laid on the floor, holding her jaw. It felt twice it's normal size and she was sure she could feel blood trickling down from her lip.

Max watched as Liz took all her anger out on Brian and he was so proud of her to be standing up to him after everything he had done to her.
She had really come a long way in the seven years he hadn't seen her. He was beginning to see the old Liz in her more and more as she told him exactly what she thought of him but when he grabbed her he stepped forward, along with Tommy and Kyle and Michael.
They were all ready to get her away from him but she stopped them and continued to talk to Brian. She's taunting him and he's going to get really pissed, more so than now if she's not careful. He thought just as Brian slapped her so hard she crumbled to the floor and didn't move for a moment.

Max saw red, how dare he! She didn't deserve it back then and she doesn't deserve it now! He moved forward and grabbed Brian, along with Kyle and Michael, when he looked over he saw Tommy moving towards Liz with Isabel.

Max looked over to his brother and Michael was the picture of rage, his face red and he looked like he was barely restraining himself from hitting Brian. They all noticed when Liz sat up with the help of Tommy and Isabel.

"Liz, are you ok?"

Isabel's worried voice came from in front of her. Liz nodded carefully and began to stand up.

"I think so."

She winced when it hurt to talk. Great, that's going to leave a nice bruise.

She looked up at the three men holding the older man and sighed.

"Don't hit him guys."

She warned as she saw the look in their eyes. Her gaze connected with Max's and she was sure she saw concern for her in their amber depths but it was quickly covered up when Brian started swearing at her. Wiping the blood off her mouth, she took small steps over to Brian and the guys held him tighter. She needed to call Philip and get a restraining order on Brian or something, so he couldn't get close to her ever again. Tapping the pocket of her jeans she realised that she had left her phone at the Evans'. Great, now I'll have to go back there tonight.

"You have half an hour to get your stuff and get out of my house and restaurant and don't ever come back. You'd best be gone by the time I get back or I'll have you arrested by the sheriff." She turned to Max.

"Can you give me a ride back to your parents', I left my phone there."

It felt natural to ask Max to take her and he surprised her by nodding and leading her out of the restaurant.

The drive back was quiet, Liz was in too much pain to be thinking about talking to Max.

Max, on the other hand, kept stealing glances at Liz. He saw her wince as she touched her face, he knew it must hurt because the sound of the slap was enough to convince everyone it would have hurt. How did she survive those kinds of beatings when she was younger and us not notice it?
He felt the anger begin to return as he thought back to that night when she had barely dragged herself to his house and collapsed on the street. Stop it, there's nothing I can do about it now, it's over, she doesn't want anything to do with me...but if she did? No, no way, I'm with Tess now. We're getting married, I don't want Liz anymore...or do I? He argued back and forth with himself until they pulled up outside the house. He took her inside and straight into the kitchen, walking past the living room where Tess was with his parents. He didn't see the suspicious look Tess sent his way when she saw Liz with him.

"Sit down, I'll get some ice for your face."

He ordered her and she did as she was told because she didn't think she could move her mouth enough to argue with him. He placed an icepack on the counter and pulled out some antiseptic wipes to clean the cut. As he was doing this he studied her face. The gentle curves of her face were even more beautiful than he remembered. She looks gorgeous, even with the beginning of a bruise on her face, how could I ever think I was over someone like this?

"Max? What's going on?"

Tess's voice shrieked behind him and he jumped.

"Tess! What..."

He began but she strode forward and stopped when she saw Liz's face.

"Oh my god what happened?"

She asked loudly and Philip and Diane entered the kitchen looking concerned. They both fussed over Liz’s face when they saw it and she shrugged out of their grasp. Max handed her the icepack which she gratefully placed on her face and told them briefly what happened.

"You need to press charges."

Philip insisted at the girl he thought of as a daughter.

"If he doesn't leave then I will."

She assured them, trying to move her mouth as little as possible. Max appeared at her side again with a glass of water and some pills.

"Painkillers. I think you'll need them."

He offered and she smiled at him,

"You're an angel, thanks."

She swallowed them as Diane tried to convince her to press charges.

"Liz with his past record you have to go to the sheriff, he'll only do it again. You know what he's like and you can't let him get away with it."

"I know what he's like, I have a scar on my forehead to remind me! I don't want to talk about this anymore, I've made my decision."

She sat down again and saw her phone lying on the kitchen table.

"Since when did you become so stubborn?"

Diane joked and Liz shrugged.

"I had to learn quickly because growing up on my own wasn't all fun and games, people tried to walk all over me."

That was all she was offering and looked at Max.

"Can you take me back now?"

He nodded and she saw the glare Tess sent her way she walked past her to the front door. What is that girls' problem? She thought as she went outside with Max.

********************************************************************************************************************

Liz woke up the next morning with her jaw still aching. After a long shower she inspected the bruise in the mirror of the tiny bathroom. It was deep purple as she had suspected.

“Wow, doesn’t that look attractive.”

She mumbled to herself as she tried to cover it up as much as she could with makeup. Giving up when the bruise was still very obvious, she got dressed in some cut off shorts and a gypsy style white top. Leaving her hair down she began the walk to the cemetery as she thought about the previous night.

Driving back with Max was awkward, after he had helped her she hadn’t known what to say so she kept quiet. Max did the same and when they arrived back at the restaurant, Brian was gone and Tommy was relieved. Assuring everyone that she was ok she let Michael take her back to her room, convincing him all the way that she was fine being alone.

She wasn’t sure what was happening to her because now her feelings were all over the place, and she wasn’t as dead set about leaving straight away now. Yet how much of that was down to Max she wasn’t sure.
***************************************************************************************
Behrgirl21
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Re: Going Back (AU M/L CC ADULT) Author Note 03/16/12

Post by Behrgirl21 »

Hi everyone! Thanks for the feedback, I'm glad people are interested in the fic! Here's the next part for you!

Feedback
Natalie36 Oh lots of angry faces from you! I agree though, I wouldn't come back either.
begonia9508 Thankyou! :D
secretk I understand why you are a bit confused as to why they thought she was dead. Yes she left letters but they looked for her (little flashbacks in future chapters will show this) and couldn't find her. To them, because they didn't hear from her or find her then they assumed the worst thing had happened, that something had happened to her. They don't see how she could have run away and not at least contacted them to let them know she was ok as that's what kind of person she was, remember that they were like a family so they could only assume something bad had happened to stop her from getting in touch. :? Hope that explains it a bit. But thatnks for the feedback too!!
IceQueenMay This is true... :roll:
zaneri1 Thankyou!! Yes they do need to be honest with each other, it will happen...eventually... :roll:

Chapter 28

She sat down in front of the two stones and sighed, putting the flowers she had bought on the ground. She just sat there for a while not thinking about anything, just being with her parents when she felt someone sit next to her.
Looking over she saw it was Max. He smiled at her and she smiled back. After several minutes of simple sitting and not thinking, Liz finally spoke.

“I never said thank you for cleaning me up last night.”

“Don’t worry about it.” He lightly turned her face to his as he inspected her bruise. His fingers burned where they touched her skin and she felt a shiver travel down her body as she looked at his handsome face.

“How does it feel?” He asked quietly and she shrugged.

“It hurts but I’m more worried that my face is purple and will be for a while.” She teased slightly and his amber eyes flashed with some emotion she couldn’t place.

He was feeling some mixed up feelings right about now, he couldn’t resist touching her and when he did, he couldn’t deny that he felt the connection between them. A connection he hadn’t felt for years.

“Don’t worry, your face still looks as beautiful as ever.” His husky reply came and she stopped breathing, why did he say that? He can’t still like me after all this time, he has a fiancée! Taking her face from his grasp she looked away,

“Don’t say that Max.”

“I’m sorry, I don’t know why I said it.” He ran a hand through his hair and Liz watched the action with her heart pounding wildly.

What am I supposed to say after that? What is going on? Kiss me…wait where did that come from? Oh my god I’m going completely crazy…I have a boyfriend! She thought and then a familiar voice spoke from the back of her mind, a voice she hadn’t heard for years, a boyfriend that you never told about your past life, even after he met Michael and you told Stu and Maria. Some relationship you got there.
She frowned, It’s complicated with Lucas, he doesn’t understand me…

She could almost hear the voice snort at her thoughts, and yet here you are fawning over Max, hoping he’ll kiss you when you supposedly have no feelings for him. How’d you work that one out?

She was taken from her thoughts as Max spoke.

“I meant what I said last night. I am proud of you.”

“Thank you.” She replied quietly.

“So what happened to teaching?”

“I don’t know, it just never happened.” She shrugged and he nodded, understanding.

“Everyone is going for lunch, do you want to join us?” He asked after a few minutes. Liz nodded and they made their way towards his car.
They all went to a small café a short distance away from the restaurant.
Liz was annoyed to see Tess arrive with Isabel and Alex, as soon as they sat down, Tess was hanging all over Max who looked uncomfortable and kept glancing up at Liz from across the table.
Could she be any more desperate? She thought.

They ate and when they had finished and Kyle rolled up his shirt sleeves, Liz saw the small scar across his elbow. Smiling she reached out and touched it,

“I remember this.” She said and he grinned at her,

“I should hope so, it was your handy work.”

“It was an accident!” She laughed and Isabel leaned over Kyle to ask,

“What was an accident?”

“Kyle’s scar.”

“The one Liz gave me.” Kyle answered and Liz elbowed him lightly.

Alex frowned,
“What happened?”

“Well…” Kyle began and Liz rolled her eyes,

“Here he goes…” She teased whilst throwing her hands up and Kyle put a hand over her mouth as Max and Isabel laughed together, remembering their days when they were younger and everything was simple.

An hour late Liz was laughing so hard she never saw the tall blonde haired man enter the café to ask for directions.
She nodded at Alex,

“I’m not kidding, she pushed me off the damn thing and I cut my side so bad, her dad grounded her for…how long was it?” She looked at Isabel and she pulled her head from her hands,

“I think about two months, something like that.”

“So my Isabel has violent tendencies?” Alex teased her and Liz laughed,

“Poor Izzy, good thing we were such good friends back then or I might have held a grudge.”

“You called me Izzy!” Isabel whispered and Liz frowned,

“Sorry, an old habit.” She shrugged not knowing what the big deal was.

“No one’s called me that since you left.” She admitted and Liz sighed,

“Sorry.”

“No! I think it should come back, since you are.” She laughed and Liz smiled.

“Do you still have the scar?” Max asked with a smile on his face, ignoring the sour look Tess gave him. Nodding, Liz stood up and pulled her top up a tiny bit, and turning sideways,

“Right here.” She pointed it out and Max laughed. Before she could say anything else she felt a hand grab her butt. Spinning around she came face to face with Lucas and she just stared at him as Kyle stood up,

“Hey dude, keep your hands to yourself!”

Liz just continued to stare, what the hell was he doing here? How did he know she was in here? She realised things were going to explode pretty soon if he stayed here.

“Relax dude, she’s my girl.” He replied coolly as he possessively placed a hand on her waist. Liz could hear the silence behind her at the table, oh god what do I do? She suddenly was thankful that Michael couldn’t make it, Lucas would have recognised him and blown their whole secret.