Forever and a Day (AU,M/L,ADULT) Part 24 - 5/4 [WIP]

This is the place where fics that have not been updated in the past three months will be moved until the author asks a mod to move them back to an active board.

Moderators: Anniepoo98, ISLANDGIRL5, truelovepooh, Forum Moderators

kay_b
Addicted Roswellian

Forever and a Day (AU,M/L,ADULT) Part 24 - 5/4 [WIP]

Post by kay_b »

Title: FOREVER AND A DAY

Category: AU without Aliens

Disclaimer: I do not own anything from this story except the plot.

Summary: Max Evans and Liz Parker have been close friends for a few years now. What happens when things change? Best friends turning into lovers…is it really a good thing or not?

Rating: Adult for language

A/N: I’m not normally fond of the best friend fics but this one just won’t leave my mind.

Thanks to Ella for my really wonderful banner.

~*~*~*~*~
PROLOGUE

Max walked in the house wearing just a pair of black shorts and his running shoes, with sweat glistening down his bare chiseled torso. After a rigorous run as his exercise, he was simply parched.

He quickly went into the kitchen, got a glass from one of the cabinets and walked towards the fridge to get some cold water. While gulping down the cool liquid, he opened the fridge door, perusing the items in it. Upon seeing a carton of orange juice, he decided to chug that down as well.

As he was drinking from the carton, he heard the tapping of paws on the wooden floor coming closer. When the dog saw him, he immediately jumped up on max and excitedly licked his face.

“Hey, down boy, I’m all sweaty.” Max moved the dog away from him and patted his head. He started to walk up the stairs and down the hallway, the dog following him closely. He entered the master bedroom and upon seeing a figure on the bed totally covered by the sheets, he broke into a devilish grin.

He walked to the French doors that led to the balcony, making sure that his steps were as quiet as they can be. He then drew back the drapes, letting sunlight in to fill the room.

The figure on the bed groaned from the harsh brightness and turned away from the source of the light.

Max looked at the dog that was sitting by the bed, looking up at him as if warning him before he did anything stupid. He then motioned to the dog to remain silent by putting a finger to his lips. Then he put up one finger at a time and when he got to three, he deliberately plopped himself on the bed with a big bounce.

The figure screamed at being woken up so mischievously, knowing only one person who could do such a thing.

“Max!”
Last edited by kay_b on Tue May 04, 2010 10:25 pm, edited 41 times in total.
kay_b
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Forever and a Day ~ AU, M/L, Adult - Prologue - (2/21)

Post by kay_b »

Thank you so much for your feedback. Hope you'll like reading this as much as I enjoyed writing it. Seriously, I had a smile on my face the entire time, LOL.

~*~*~*~*~

CHAPTER ONE

“MAX!”

Liz screamed as she bounced unattractively off the bed. She quickly sat up and grabbed the sheets tighter around her body, covering her flesh.

Max couldn’t help but laugh though he stopped short as he noticed her position. His hazel eyes twinkled in mischievousness and a hint of a smile graced his gorgeous face. He was watching Liz moving around the bed, gathering as much cloth around her body as she could.

“What’s the matter? You got something under there that you don’t want me to see?” he asked while moving his hand closer, posed to grab the blanket from his friend.

Noticing what he was up to; Liz quickly slapped his hand away and looked at him menacingly. “Stop that!”

“Awww, is my Lizzie all shy around me?”

“Shut up. Why are you here at…” Liz reached behind her to look at her alarm clock. “6:30 am?! Max, do you have—”

She stopped short when Max’s proximity began to get to her. She moved back a bit and looked at him with a raised brow, “Could you move back a little bit?”

“Come on, Liz, let me have a peek.” Max was dipping his index finger at the edge of the sheet tucked around Liz’s chest to pull it off her.

“Let go!” Liz began pulling back. “What has gotten in you today?”

Max then stopped and lied back down. Then he turned on his side to face Liz once more and propped his head up with his hand to answer her. “Nothing, I was just being—”

“Horny?” Liz completed his sentence for him and got off the bed along with the sheet wrapped all over her making herself look like an egg roll. She went into her bathroom and closed the door behind her, signaling that that was the end of their conversation.

Max laughed at that. He had to give it to her; Liz always has the last say when it came to their playful bantering. He got up and looked at the dog, “Do you think she’ll be in a foul mood today, huh, Bailey?”

Bailey, the brown and white Akita Max gave Liz for her birthday last year, just looked at him and walked towards the doorway. He looked back at Max then went down the stairs. This time, it was Max who followed him.

Liz found both of them in the kitchen with Max making a breakfast feast of bacon and scrambled eggs and Bailey eating dog food off his bowl.

“Thanks.” Liz said as she moved behind Max to grab two cups and pour coffee in each one. She proceeded to make their morning beverage the way they liked it, hers with little sugar and lots of cream and his with no cream and tons of sugar.

Max got a couple of plates and filled them with food before bringing them to the table where they both ate. This was their routine every morning, him and Liz having breakfast together. But recently, Liz was wondering about the moods that Max had been showing lately. He was known to pull off some type of prank like the one this morning and the rude awakening she got from him, but he was never in that kind of playful behavior. No, this wasn’t just being playful, it was borderline sexual teasing.

Max had been Liz’s best friend for three years now. He never thought he could one day proclaim that one of his best friends was a girl. Well, back then the case was any girl who he considered close to him was someone he has gotten in the sack with, hence the “closeness”. Although that may still be the case till recently, something changed in him to alter his way of thinking.

Ever since he started on his teen years, he had been working as a model along with his siblings. Max, Michael and Isabel Evans are all known in the world of fashion and modeling. They’re all famous but with level-headed minds. Their parents did their best in keeping their kids’ feet on the ground. And as they grew older, the way their parents had raised them shone through.

Max was always a charming kid and as he grew into the man he is now, his looks and charismatic personality had worked to his advantage. He always had a job and the women kept throwing themselves at him and he had no qualms about being at the receiving end. He loved the special benefits that came along with it, the operative word being “loved”.

At 29 years old, he has been thinking about moving on to the next phase of his life. It has been on his mind a lot lately but he kept wondering who he could see himself being tied down to. At this point in his life, he never had a serious relationship let alone one that lasted more than three, maybe four months, tops. He was enjoying life to the fullest so to speak.

Maybe it was about growing old-er, or maybe it was about being tired of the life that he has. It’s not that he was ungrateful for it; he knew that there were a million other guys who were currently wishing to trade places with him. But recently, he has been seeking something more to his life. He knew that soon his looks will fade, people will find someone better looking, someone younger and where would that leave him? A has been living all alone in his beachfront home.

That’s why marriage has been on the foreground of his thoughts of late. But even before he gets to that he has to find himself a girlfriend first; but who? The only girlfriend he has known for the past four years has been Liz and the title had a much different meaning.

Elizabeth Parker was his next door neighbor. He, along with his brother, even helped her move in. Both he and Michael just came from a photo shoot and when he drove towards his driveway, they saw a petite brunette trying to lift boxes that to him looked heavier than her own weight. So he pulled over and offered to help. If he was being honest, he wanted to check her out, in more ways than her just being the new girl next door. But as the day passed, he found himself liking the way their conversations went. They clicked instantly and he could talk to her about anything and everything.

The days turned into weeks and weeks turned into months. As time went by, Max and Liz became closer. Max would think he was even closer to her than his own siblings because he could tell her things about himself that nobody else knew. Even the industry that helped Max get to where he was, knew Liz as his best friend since they kept denying any rumor about the two of them being a couple. Although candid photos taken of them by the paparazzi showed gestures that could be considered as romantic, to them it was anything but. It was simply two good friends having fun together.

Their relationship did make their families and friends wonder as to what they really meant to each other. However, friendship was the only answer. The connection was purely platonic. And as time kept going, they became much more comfortable with each other that they even have keys to each other’s houses, hence Max being able to walk into Liz’s house so freely.

That was usually the case, if Max wasn’t at work, or with some chick, he can be found at Liz’s place. His sister once joked that it would save him some money if he just sold his house and moved in with Liz. Max and Liz just laughed it off, not noticing that Isabel was half serious about it. But Max was welcome to come and go into Liz’s house as he pleased and the same went for Liz. Soon people just came to accept the way their relationship worked.

“So what’s your schedule today?” Liz asked as she bit a piece of bacon.

“Got a commercial to shoot today and tomorrow.” Max replied while shoveling some eggs into his mouth without even looking up. “You?”

“I’m just going to do some deliveries then I need to check on a catering gig we have scheduled for this afternoon.” Liz answered.

“Ok, I’d ask you to come with me if you like but I know you’ll just get bored.” Max told her.

“Yup, you know I can’t stand waiting for hours on end.”

“Where are you headed today?” Max asked her.

“Just downtown, I only need to drop by two stores then I’m done till about 4. Why do you ask?”

“Nothin’ but I thought maybe I could go with you. The shoot won’t start till lunch.” Max said finishing his meal.

“Sure, if you have nothing better to do.” Liz responded, following Max to the sink.

“I bet people would get a kick out of seeing me, Max Evans, helping li’l ol’ you carrying a box of food.”

“Right, cause everyone is a fan of yours?” Liz said with a raised brow.

“Yup.” Max answered smugly.

Liz just laughed and started doing the dishes. “Uh huh, keep telling yourself that.”

“What? It’s true. People love reading about me.”

“Ok, who are you and what have you done to my down-to-earth friend?” Liz looked behind her shoulder at Max who was clearing the table.

Max looked at her at the exact same instant and was mesmerized by his best friend’s simplistic beauty. He smiled at her and asked, “How come you don’t want to try modeling? I told you I can get you in the industry easily, just let me know when.”

Liz sighed; she thought for sure this topic wouldn’t come up again. In the first couple of years that they have been friends, Max had been nagging her to seek a modeling career but she didn’t want it. She wasn’t the outgoing person that Max and his siblings were. She was a homebody, just living her normal life, working, hanging out with friends and family. Sure she liked to party every now and then but she couldn’t do it at the same pace that the Evans sibs did.

“Max, haven’t we been over this back in…oh I don’t know…1970.”

“We weren’t born yet then”, he quickly countered.

“I told you before I don’t want to be a model. I don’t have the looks not to mention the height requirement.”

“Liz, you’re pretty, you can be in billboards or commercials and you’ll make tons of money.”

“Not everything revolves around money, you know that right?”

“Yeah, people say that but when you’re hungry, your moral values ain’t worth a slice of bread.”

“What? Where did that come from? What about happiness and love? Are you saying that you need money to have those?”

“To be a good provider, yeah, you do.”

“Ok, I’m not going to waste my time and delve into this line of conversation with you because I know we will just keep on arguing and not agree on anything.” Liz said as she put the last pan in the dishwasher and wiped her hands on her kitchen towel. She turned on the machine and began to walk back up to her room to get dressed.

Max was quick to follow, not eager to let the topic go just like that. “It’s not a waste of time. Ok, you tell me how not having money can make you happy.”

Liz walked to her closet and started perusing the clothes inside, mentally choosing an ensemble. “You can’t buy love, Max. Even prostitutes don’t sell that, they sell sex, nothing more. Falling in love doesn’t factor in how many digits there are in your bank account. And I for one wouldn’t want someone loving me for my money, do you?”

Max stayed silent as he sat on her bed, pondering her words. She was right, he knew she was and this was a topic that struck him most especially now that he was thinking about starting the process of finding that special someone and settling down.

“Of course you don’t”, Liz continued, “no one wants that. Otherwise, it’s not real. I would want to be in a relationship because I’m in love with the guy and he’s in love with me. And love is something that can’t be bought, my friend. It finds you.” Liz looked at Max with a smile before heading in her bathroom to change.

“But what if it doesn’t?” Max whispered with a sad look on his face as Liz closed the door, leaving him alone with his thoughts.
kay_b
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Forever and a Day ~ AU, M/L, Adult - PART 1 on pg 2 - (2/27)

Post by kay_b »

A/N: Sorry I can't reply to each feedback. I've started taking some classes so I'm still struggling a bit to stabilize my schedule. Anyway, I just hope you'll all enjoy this new part. I'm loving all your fb so keep 'em coming, lol.

~*~*~*~*~

CHAPTER TWO

Max was sitting on a couch, waiting for his sister to be done with her pictures. He looks on, watching but not really seeing as his mind was far from where his body was.

Isabel Evans, Max’s 25 year old sister, was happily posing for the camera. Only a couple of hours of non-stop clicking and lights flashing and she’s done for the day. And the salary she gets can last her for half a year. Not that she really needs it since her parents are top notch lawyers. But she wanted to be independent and following in her brothers’ footsteps was a snap. Her looks had easily landed her job after job, and she even had offers to go into the movie industry. Although she has been seriously considering the jump, she wanted to discuss it first with Max and her parents.

She glanced over to where her brother was and was puzzled at the pensive look he had. She noticed that he’s been caught lost in his thoughts a lot lately and she was worried that something big was troubling him. Although she was the youngest, she was the most protective of her family.

As soon as she was done, she went over to Max who had his photos taken before her. She plopped down on the sofa beside him and raised a brow that Max didn’t even seem to register that she was already seated next to him.

“Earth to Max”, she said, snapping her finely manicured fingers in front of his face.

Max blinked twice to shake off the thoughts clouding his mind.

“What’s going on with you?” Isabel asked her brother before taking a sip of her raspberry flavored water.

“Nothing.” Max replied.

“No, that’s not nothing. Come on, let’s get out of here and talk.” Isabel stood up and went to the photographer to check if they can leave. When she was given the go signal, she hoisted her bag over her shoulder, walked over to Max, grabbed his hand and led him out of the building. The siblings headed over to the parking lot where Isabel got in her white silver Audi roadster, a present she gave herself upon landing her first major gig. Meanwhile, Max hopped onto his black Ducati and waited right beside Isabel.

“Where to?” he asked.

“Is Liz busy?” Isabel asked back.

“Yeah, she has a catering job at 4 o’clock. So that means she’ll be out of the restaurant by 2.” Max answered.

“Do you want to go there? At least we’re sure that we’ll have privacy there. Or we can just order some take out and eat at my condo?”

“Let’s just head over to Liz’s. That way you won’t have to wash the dishes after we’re done eating.” Max said putting on his helmet and roaring up his bike’s engine.

“Who said I’m doing the dishes?” Isabel called back, but Max never heard it since he was already out of the parking lot.
~*~

As soon as they walked into Elizabeth’s, there were some people who were surprised to see them, while there were some who weren’t fazed at all since they were used to seeing the Evans siblings in the restaurant.

Liz’s workers were accustomed to their famous patrons and had explicit orders that they were to be given total privacy. They didn’t mind following those instructions because the Evans were nice to them, they weren’t obnoxious as some of the customers that have been into Liz’s illustrious establishment.

Elizabeth’s is Liz’s pride and joy. She enjoyed growing up in her parents' alien-themed diner in Roswell, New Mexico. But as she got older, she wanted to have her own place. She never considered running Elizabeth’s as work because food and cooking are her passion; she loved every minute of it.

Max and Isabel kept walking to their booth which was in a designated space for them. Max pulled out his sister’s chair for her, before seating himself right across her.

One of the waitresses went up to them and they greeted her with familiarity. The workers, from the waiters to the cooks, considered Max as a friend, the same way Liz wanted them to refer to her. She wanted Elizabeth’s employees to have camaraderie as that of a family. And with the frequent visits Max paid to the place, he might as well be part of them.

“Hey, Sarah, Liz not back from her catering yet?” Max asked.

“Hi, Max, Isabel. Nope, it won’t be done till about 6. Does she know you’ll be waiting for her here?” the blonde waitress replied.

Isabel answered that, “No, we just came in here to grab a bite.”

“But if she gets back before we’re done then she might join us.” Max added, not seeing the somewhat bewildered look on his sister’s face.

Sarah did however and she could only hide her smile by getting their orders.

Isabel perused the menu while Max already knew what he wanted. “I’ll just have a roast beef sandwich, fries and a cherry coke.” he told Sarah.

“And I’ll have your Asian salad with the crunchy noodles and a white wine.” Isabel declared.

“White wine? It’s only 5 in the afternoon, Iz?” Max questioned.

“I think we’ll need it.” Isabel stated.

Sarah then took the menus and headed back to the kitchen to place their order. At that, Isabel decided it was time to get down to what was really bothering one of her older brothers. “Alright, talk.”

“I told you, it’s nothing, Iz.” Max replied, fiddling with the fork on his side of the table.

“Look at yourself, how could you say it’s nothing?”

Max sighed. Isabel thought he was going to get mad at her and opt to leave but he surprised her by finally talking.

“Have you ever felt tired of all this?” he began.

“Tired of what?”

“This, the work, the popularity thing…” Max trailed off; he never wanted to acknowledge the fact that paparazzi followed him sometimes. In the beginning he found it funny, but when they started to include Liz in all the craziness, and the tabloids were printing false information about them, it angered him. That’s when he tried to remove himself from all the prominence he was getting. However, the more he tried, the more they hounded him until he just gave up and granted an interview to set the record straight.

“So Max, tell us about this woman seen with you most of the time? I believe her name is Liz,” a reporter named Courtney asked him while a picture of Liz and him shopping was posted on a screen behind them.

She was quite happy to be granted the interview. Max on the other hand wasn’t, but he wanted to do it for Liz’s peace and quiet. She was never part of the industry he was in and just for being his friend; she had paid the price and lost her privacy. Liz kept denying that it bothered her and claimed that it was free publicity for her restaurant but he knew better.

It was just too much already, especially when even Philip, Max’s dad, questioned them about their relationship. Max almost choked on the bite he just took but good thing Liz was there to respond quickly on his behalf.

“Yes, she’s a friend.” Max answered briefly.

“Just a friend?” the reporter went on.

“Yes, let me straighten this out once and for all. This is mainly why I agreed to this interview. People know I separate my private life from my work but I must end all the speculation about me and Liz. She has suffered so much from being hounded by the paparazzi due to all the lies printed about us. So please, stop harassing her, she’s a good friend of mine, a best friend actually. That’s all that’s going on between us, nothing more.” Max sternly spoke.

“You heard it here, ladies, Max Evans is still single.” Courtney looked back at the camera with a grin. Then she turned back to him with more questions.

“So why are you seen going into her house late at night, and coming out early in the morning if there is really nothing going on between the two of you?”

Max was quickly steaming, didn’t he just say that they were merely best buds. “Look, I don’t see why that’s any of your business.”

“But Max, I thought you wanted to do this interview to clear things up?” Courtney was worried but she had to try to keep things cool and probe more while Max was talking.

Then without a warning, Max stood up and yanked out his microphone set from his shirt. “Well, consider this interview over.” Max said with a smirk as he threw the piece on the chair he was seated at and walked out of the studio.

If he thought the media would leave him and Liz alone after that stunt, it did nothing but fan the flames even more.

There was a mixture of reactions from everyone: Michael enjoyed his brother’s rebellious side coming out. Isabel was seething at the immaturity he showed. His parents were worried that he was becoming stressed out. And Liz, his sweet friend Liz who should have been thinking about how the press would stalk her more, was only concerned about him and his career. Now that was a true friend.

“What did you do this time?” Isabel asked warily.

“Nothing, I didn’t do anything. I’m just…thinking…” Max replied.

“Thinking. Thinking about what?” Isabel prodded. However, she had to wait for her brother’s answer because Sarah had returned with their food.

After their meals were set down in front of them, Isabel was already getting a taste while Max hardly even touched his sandwich.

“Aren’t you going to eat?” Isabel looked at him curiously.

“I’m not that hungry after all.” Max simply answered.

Isabel then set down her fork and moved her plate aside. She looked seriously at Max and told him to tell her what’s going on. “Come on, Max, you’re scaring me here. What’s got you so down?”

“That’s just it, Iz. I feel like something’s missing, I feel like I’m getting too old for this.”

“Well, yeah, we all know that time will come. Isn’t that why we agreed to do this till we can and save up as much money for our future?”

Max looked at her and said, “I think my time is here.”

“Oh.” Isabel sat back and just stared back at her brother. She didn’t know what else to say. “So, uh, what brought this on?”

“I don’t know. I just feel like I should move on and do other things, for my future.” Max then sipped on his soda.

“Like what?” Isabel was curious.

“I haven’t figured that out yet.”

“O-kay…” Isabel answered uneasily.

“Well, it’s not like it’s gonna happen tomorrow, but I’m thinking of quitting once I figure out what I want to do with my life.” Max stated.

Just then, Isabel saw Liz headed towards their table and motioned for her to join them. If there is anyone who can understand what’s going on in Max’s head, it would be her.

Max noticed Isabel waving at someone behind him and looked over his shoulder. He quickly smiled when he saw Liz and stood up to pull out the chair beside his for her.

“Hi, Iz, glad to see you here.” Liz greeted Isabel before popping a fry she stole off of Max’s plate.

“I’m sorry I haven’t stopped by for some time, work has been hectic.” Isabel immediately started on a lighter conversation with her friend.

“I know exactly what you mean.” Liz replied.

“So maybe you can tell me what’s going on with my brother.”

“Hello, I’m right here.” Max exclaimed.

Liz looked at Isabel then at Max questioningly. “Why? Is something wrong? You’re not sick are you?” She quickly placed her palm on his forehead to feel his temperature.

Max moved his head away but not before Liz could check him. “No, I’m not ill.”

“He’s thinking of quitting.” Isabel swiftly provided.

“Iz.” Max scolded.

“What?” Liz looked at him as if he grew another head.

“Can we talk about this later?” he requested from his friend.

“What’s with you today? First there was this love thing you were going on about this morning and now this.”

“What love thing?” Isabel interjected with lightning speed.

“It’s nothing.” Max told his sister; then echoed the same to Liz, “it’s nothing. Let’s just eat.” He didn’t want to discuss this anymore and motioned for Sarah from the other end of the room to take Liz’s order, signaling to the girls that their conversation was over.
Last edited by kay_b on Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
kay_b
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Forever and a Day ~ AU, M/L, Adult - PART 2 on pg 4 - (3/6)

Post by kay_b »

Disclaimer: I do not own anything in this fic except for the plot.

A/N: Thanks for all your feedback:

L-J-L 76
Emma
Eve
yayaliens
Gidget2
confusedfool
veronica
tinie38
Natalie36
jake17
XYZ
Dreamer 4 Ever
dreamsatnight
francesca
roswell4life
Jessibelle47
Michelle
Cocogurl
Blink1lit
LegalAlien
RoninBehr
Alien_Friend

Your words mean a lot to me so thank you so much. I'm just happy people are still reading my works, but I'm not complaining about fb, they drive me to write even though my muse doesn't cooperate at times.

Anyway, enough talk. Enjoy the installment below. :D

~*~*~*~

CHAPTER THREE

Max didn’t even need to hear from Liz that he should go home with her, he just knew…well, judging from the threatening look she gave him, yeah, he just knew.

As soon as she opened the door, Bailey greeted Liz by wagging his tail excitedly upon seeing his master. Make that two masters, because it was not only the one who feed him that walked in but as well as the one who would play at the beach with him.

“Hey, Bailey” Liz greeted the dog with a pat on his head while Max knelt by him scratched behind his ears.

Not even a minute after they greeted her pet, Liz immediately started on him. “What’s going on with you?” She headed straight for her kitchen, took a bottle of water from her fridge and went back to the living room where Max was now standing. He instinctively reached for the water bottle, twisted the cap off and handed it back to her.

Bailey then went to his own bed, he sensed something was wrong and he didn’t want to get in the middle of it. Instead, he settled on just watching his owners from afar.

Liz moved to the couch and sat on her legs, placed the bottle on the coffee table before motioning him with just a stare to join her. Max reluctantly sat beside her; he wasn’t in the mood for this tonight. He just wanted to go home and ponder on what was really going on in his head or was it his heart? He himself couldn’t understand it. Though if he was honest; he probably would’ve just wound up back at her place and in her bed – but only to sleep!

Liz placed her elbow on the back of the light yellow sofa and rested her head on her palm, her dark tresses cascading on the side.

Max looked at her and as always was in awe of her simplistic beauty. He couldn’t fathom why she can’t see it. He copied her position and took a few strands of her chocolate colored locks and began twirling them around his fingers.

“Talk to me, Max.” Liz was looking at him with her doe eyes; how could he resist that? She knew him inside and out, she knew how to play him like a fiddle if she wanted. But Liz was too good to do that to him, she knew he needed to get this out or he wouldn’t have a moment’s peace.

Max sighed, there was no escaping this so might as well get it over with tonight. Maybe Liz could make some sense out of all that’s bothering him; it has always worked in the past. He’d share his thoughts, she’d explain it back to him, it would clear his head, and everything was alright in his world once again.

“I don’t even know what’s going on with me. How could I tell you?” he began.

“Ok, start with what you’re feeling.”

“Don’t go and act like a shrink on my behalf.” Max taunted.

“I’m not.” Liz picked up a throw pillow and hit him with it.

Max quickly raised a hand to catch it and he threw it behind him, far from Liz’s reach.

“Come on, you’re veering away from the topic.”

Max exhaled, “Look, I’m not really in the mood for this right now. But,” he cut Liz off after sensing that she was still going to force the issue, “if I still can’t get a grasp on this after a week, then I’ll come to you; deal?”

Liz knew when to push and when to back off, and the time for the latter was now. Whatever it was that was bothering Max, he wanted to sort it out for himself first. But with the promise that he was going to go to her when needed, that was more than enough for Liz.

“Deal.” Liz stood up, drank from her bottle and looked back at Max. “Are you sleeping over here?”

Max smiled but shook his head no. “Nah, I want some time alone for tonight.”

“Ok.” Liz walked Max to the door. “Call me when you get home.”

Max laughed; that was always a rule with Liz whenever she would part with a friend especially at night. She always wanted to make sure that they got home safe and sound. “I live right beside you, you know that right?”

“You should be used to this by now. Just call, ok? I won’t keep you on the phone long.” assured Liz.

“Alright, alright. See you tomorrow.” Then he reached down to pat Bailey. “See you tomorrow too, boy.” He stood up and faced Liz. “I’ll call.” Then kissed her cheek and left.

As Liz locked the door behind him, she hoped that whatever was going on with her friend will be resolved soon.

Max parked his car in his garage, locked it then went into his own house. As much as Liz’s home was bright, cheery and cozy, his was the complete opposite. It was your typical bachelor’s pad, black being the predominant color in his furniture. The living room had two black leather sofas, and a huge entertainment center that housed his wide screen TV, along with a DVD player, a couple of speakers, a subwoofer, a Nintendo Wii, and a PlayStation 3. Right beside it was a tall rack containing several movies and games.

He walked to the kitchen counter where the phone was and dialed Liz’s number.

“Hello?”

“It’s me, I’m home.”

“Ok.”

“Sleep well. Goodnight.”

“Night.”

The phone call was that quick. Max hung up and checked his answering machine for any messages. There were a few; one from his agent telling him about a runway gig he was being considered for. Another was from his mother, reminding him of the Sunday lunch they were having. And the last one was from his brother, Michael:

“Hey, bro. Just got back. Iz called, told me you’re acting weird and shit. Drop by my house tomorrow morning for a quick game. See ya.”
~*~*~
“Hey!” Max greeted his older brother as he entered the house from the back door early next day. He quickly dropped his gym bag on the kitchen floor and gave him a fierce hug and a pat on the back.

“How have you been?” Michael asked as he returned his brother’s gesture. He came down the stairs upon hearing Max’s bike pulling up his driveway.

Similar to Max’s house, Michael’s also clearly belonged to a bachelor. However, it had a woman’s touch with a few knick knacks strewn everywhere; like an aqua colored throw draped on the couch in the living room, a bowl of lemons on the kitchen table, a couple of pillows with ruffles on his king sized bed, and framed photos of him and his girlfriend all over the place.

“What exactly did Izzy tell you?” Max was curious. Though Isabel didn’t get that much out of him, he wondered what she could have told their sibling.

Michael was turning the ball in his hands and looked at Max with a smirk on his face. “Let’s take this outside. My mind works better when I’m playing ball.”

And with that, Michael strolled out to his backyard where a half court was built when he had his house made. Max was following closely behind him, all decked out in a black sleeveless shirt, black shorts and his black pair of Nike’s. Michael on the other hand, was wearing a pair of blue shorts, a gray sleeveless shirt and black sneakers of the same brand.

They walked on to the court, no one saying a word. Michael began dribbling the ball slowly, not knowing that Max was trying his hardest to be patient.

‘Patience is a virtue…I do not have.’ Max thought as he looked on.

“So are you gonna speak up or did you just want to play in silence?” Max asked sarcastically.

“Woke up on the wrong side of the bed?”

“Sorta.”

“Who was beside you?” Michael bounce passed the ball which Max quickly caught and ran under the net for an easy lay-up.

“What?” He asked as he caught the ball and threw it back to Michael.

Michael caught the ball with a thud. “Who was sleeping beside you?” he reiterated.

“What kind of question is that?” Max’s brows drew together.

“A simple one.” Michael started dribbling again as Max moved near him to block him from making a shot. Both men leapt off the ground, arms stretched up, one pair holding the ball, the other trying to tap it away. But Michael was able to release the ball and it sailed through the air, earning him three points.

Max walked towards the post and retrieved the ball, quickly stepping on the sideline and back in the court while bouncing the ball by his feet. “If you must know, I slept alone, in my house.”

“Well there you go.” Michael replied while being on the defensive.

“What’s that supposed to mean?” Max stopped dribbling and stood up, effectively halting the game.

Michael followed suit. “All I’m saying is maybe you need to do something to get you out of this funk you’re in. Izzy told me you were thinking of quitting.”

“So? What’s wrong with that?”

“Maxwell, this is our livelihood. What else would you do if not this; be a waiter at Liz’s restaurant?”

“How did Liz become involved in this conversation? Besides, what’s wrong with being a waiter? It’s a decent profession.” Max defended.

“I’m not saying it’s bad, man. But can you seriously see yourself doing that?”

“Look, I haven’t really thought this through yet,” Max noticed Michael was about to interrupt so he swiftly continued. “I don’t even know if I will quit. I’m just trying to figure out what to do with my future. We can’t keep doing this forever; we’re nearing the end of this journey.”

“Are you high?” Michael asked.

“Huh?”

“What’s with all this crap? ‘We’re nearing the end of this journey’." Michael mocked his brother. "Maxwell, do you even hear yourself?”

“I just want to know that in case this career ends tomorrow, I have a fallback.” Max explained.

“Max, you’re one of the sexiest men on this planet as voted by your fans and the press; your career won’t end tomorrow. Hell, maybe you can imitate Clooney, be all old and gray and still get named Sexiest Man Alive.” Michael laughed.

“You don’t get it.” Max said with a shake of his head.

Michael stepped beside his brother and put a hand on his shoulder. “You know what you need?”

“No, why don’t you enlighten me.” Max said sarcastically as he looked at Michael with a raised brow. Somehow he already knew that whatever his brother had to say would not be sound advice.

“A good lay. You, li’l bro, just need to get laid.”

“This is your solution to what I’m going through?”

“Yeah, you feel alone, maybe at a crossroad in life or something like that as they said in Oprah. Just go hook up with someone.”

“I doubt that Oprah gave that as a solution to her viewers.” Max sneered. “And even if she did, I won’t just hook up with someone I bumped into on the streets.”

“Well, it won’t be just anyone. You gotta look for one that has curves in all the right places and can get really flexible.” Michael said this while making an action as if squeezing an orange.

“You’re disgusting. Does Maria even know you talk like this?” Max moved away from Michael.

“Are you kidding me? If she could hear me now, I’d be single like you.” Michael swiped the ball from Max and started dribbling it between his legs.

“No wonder you fight all the time.”

“See, I don’t think the same way you do, although you’d think I’d have more reason to since I’m older. But I’m content with what I have; an easy job with a huge pay, and a super sexy girlfriend that gives me all the lovin’ I need. That’s what you need to look for. At least you got the job part already. Now you just have to look for the right woman.” Michael continued.

“What if I never find her?” Max voiced out one of his fears.

Michael stopped and stood up to face Max, all signs of joking around gone from his face. “That’s what’s really bothering you, isn’t it?”

Max just shrugged.

“How long has it been since you last went out on a date?”

“Two, maybe three years.”

“That long?!” Michael was stunned. Here was his brother, Mr. Loverboy himself, the one who could always get a girl with just one look, yet he’s been single, not to mention being ‘in need’, all this time? What happened?

Max nodded.

“Wha—? How…how did that happen?”

“I dunno. Time flies, I guess.”

Michael was already shaking his head even before Max was finished speaking. “We gotta find you a girl man, and fast. Tell me what you like. Maybe I can ask Maria if she knows someone she can hook you up with or maybe Cal can introduce you to some new faces.”

“You sound like you’re going to hire a hooker. And are you seriously going to tell Maria about this talk we just had?”

“Well, I’ll skip some parts, but dude, desperate times call for desperate measures.”

“I’m not desperate.” Max stated firmly.

“Yeah, you are. Now come on, tell me your preferences; blondes, brunettes, redheads…”

“Looks don’t count. I just want someone sweet, caring, affectionate, thoughtful, understands the job I’m in.” Max kept talking as Michael started shooting hoops. He figured it wouldn’t be so bad if he started dating again. He couldn’t even remember why he stopped. But maybe, Michael…no, maybe Maria could find someone for him. “She has to be someone I can easily talk to, someone I’ll click with, and we can talk about anything and everything under the sun.” Max raved on and on, describing his dream girl without really even thinking about what he was saying.

Michael, on the other hand, just continued listening to his brother while playing. He jumped up to throw the ball but then realized where or rather whom Max’s words were pertaining to. The second his feet touched the ground, he was stunned because what Max thought was a small problem about being uncertain of his future has just turned into a huge shocker.

Yeah, Max didn’t want just anyone, he wanted Liz and he doesn’t even have a clue about it.
Last edited by kay_b on Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
kay_b
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Forever and a Day ~ AU, M/L, Adult - PART 3 on pg 5 - (3/13)

Post by kay_b »

A/N: So sorry for the long wait. I was in Disneyland all of last week and I didn't have an internet connection the entire time I was in Anaheim.

Anyway, enough of my blabbing. Hope you'll enjoy reading this new installment as much as I've enjoyed writing it. :D

p.s. Yes, Tanya, I'm back! LOL

~*~*~*~*~

CHAPTER FOUR

“Max, do you know who you just described?” Michael questioned astonished.

“You know someone who fits that?” Max asked with his hazel eyes full of hope.

“Uh, yeah…don’t you?” Michael’s brows furrowed together.

Max scoffed, “If I did, don’t you think I would’ve made a move on her already to spare me from going out of my mind?”

Michael couldn’t understand it. His brother wasn’t really this dumb… was he? “You’re joking, right?”

Max was getting pissed; his brother obviously knew something that he didn’t. And the worse part was that it’s about him.
“Why would I joke about something like this? Since you seem to have an idea who I’m describing, why don’t you tell me?”

“It’s Liz!” Michael all but yelled.

“What?! No!’ Max was vehemently shaking his head. “No. NO! She’s my best friend. I practically live with her. I think I would know if I’ve fallen for….”

Suddenly, Max felt all the blood being drained from his head. “Oh shit.”

Max had to sit down. How did he not see this happening? “Oh my God” he whispered as he threaded his fingers through his jet black hair. “How… I mean, when… uh…how?” He was utterly speechless.

“Maybe during one of your sleepovers?” Michael offered an answer.

Max only looked up at him angrily from his position on the ground. “You’re not helping.”

“Hey, just remember who helped you reach this epiphany of yours.” Michael responded.

“What the fuck am I supposed to do now?” Max was stressed, he only cursed when he was stressed.

“Stop freaking out for starters.” Michael ordered.

“Stop freaking out? I just found out I’m in love with my best friend! Don’t tell me to stop freaking out.”

“And what’s so bad about that? It’s about time you moved your relationship to the next level.”

“Michael, you don’t understand. This is Liz we’re discussing; she knows about my past. My past, meaning the women I’ve slept with.” Max explained.

“Well who was it who gave you the idea to blab to her about that?” Michael started to walk back in the house. He knew the game was over because Max clearly had a lot more thinking to do now that he’s gotten to the bottom of his dilemma.

Max quickly scrambled off the cement and ran after his brother straight into the kitchen. “You’ve got to help me figure out what to do.”

“Why don’t you call Isabel, she’s better at this.” Michael suggested.

“No, I need to know from your point of view, what would you do if you were in my shoes?”

“Like I said, I would stop freaking out and ask Liz out on a date.” Michael said after gulping down a glass of water.

“You make it sound so simple.”

“And you’re making it sound so hard.”

“What if she says no?” questioned Max.

“Am I hearing you right? This; coming from the guy who could get any woman in bed with him?” Michael laughed.

“This is Liz we’re talking about.”

“What’s so different about her? She’s still a woman, isn’t she?”

“No, Michael, if I pursue this, if I go after her and she rejects me, how can I continue to be friends with her?”

Michael stopped, “Hmmm, good point.”

Max only looked on, he still couldn’t wrap his mind about this revelation but he knew it was real, his heart told him so.

“I got it! Ask Isabel to ask Liz how she feels about you.” Michael advised.

“That might work.”

Michael was shaking his head. “No, wait, Liz will wonder what’s up.”

Max sat on one of the barstools and tried to think of an idea to get Liz to go out with him, for starters.

“Are you going to Mom’s for Sunday lunch?”

“Yeah” affirmed Max.

“Bring her with you.”

“Michael, she always goes with me to lunches with Mom and Dad. And you’d probably know that if you attend more often.” Max gibed.

“Well, Maria wants me to be with her on Sundays. It’s usually her only off day.”

“Wow, I never thought I’d see the day when you get pussy whipped.” Max was motioning the act of cracking a whip in the air as he chuckled.

“Speak for yourself, Mr. I’m-in-love-with-my-best-friend.”

“Shut up.” Max smile quickly turned into a frown. He reached over his brother who was leaning against the counter and punched his arm.

“Ow! That’s gonna bruise, you idiot.” Michael was pouting as he rubbed where it hurt. “I got a photo shoot next week.” he whined while he tried to see if the spot was beginning to turn black and blue.

Max could only laugh, “You’re such a fucking baby!”

“That’s ‘cause he is a baby.” Maria spoke as she came down the stairs and found the brothers deep in discussion. She went to Michael and kissed him deeply before turning to Max to greet him a good morning.

“So what’s this I’m hearing about you being in love with your best friend?”

“You remember Liz?” Michael asked his girlfriend.

“Oh, of course. Sweet girl, gorgeous eyes, really pretty.” Maria commented. “That’s the one you’re in love with?”

“Yeah, I mean no, I mean I don’t know yet.” stammered Max.

Maria laughed, “Yup, you are.” She tapped Max on his shoulder as she moved to prepare some brunch for the three of them.

“Is it that obvious?”

“Um-hmm.”

“Then why didn’t I see it before?” Max voiced out to no one in particular as he put both elbows on the table, his hands cradling his head.

Maria spoke from where she stood behind the kitchen counter as she was dipping some bread in a mixture of eggs and milk. “Maybe you subconsciously didn’t want to see it that way. You were comfortable with her being your friend, your best friend at that. And you knew that if you moved in on her, there was no assurance that you would like the outcome. And that scared you, it still does.”

Max was listening intently. So was Michael who was cooking up a batch of omelets for himself, his girlfriend and his brother.

“So you put it all behind you. You settled on just being her friend though you still wanted to be close to her. But now, your heart is trying to open the door of opportunity again. And it won’t let you shut it this time.” Maria continued.

“You’re so smart, babe.” Michael leaned over and kissed his girl’s cheek. He knew he was lucky to have Maria in his life. Would he admit that out loud to his brother? No. Maria knew that he loved her, and that was all that mattered.

“Thank you.” Maria responded and pulled Michael in to deepen the kiss.

“Ugh, please.” Max rolled his eyes at the couple, even though he envied that they had that. He wanted that love too, and realized that he wanted it with Liz.

“Shut up, if Liz was your girlfriend, I bet you a thousand bucks you’d be far worse. Besides, you’re in my house, if you don’t like what you see, then leave.” Michael demanded jokingly.

“Later, I’m starving,” Max laughed in response.

Soon enough, French toast and omelets were served along with some OJ.

“I’ve got to hand it to you, Michael. This is good.” Max spoke in between bites.

“Even better than Liz’s?” Michael goaded.

“Uh, no. Hers is better.” Max stated.

“I bet.” Michael mumbled to which he earned a quick slap at the back of the head from Maria.

“Don’t be rude,” she scolded and looked at her significant other sternly.

“I was kidding.” Michael groaned.

Max could only laugh; despite the lovey dovey stuff his brother and his brother’s girlfriend did, they were also funny to watch when they argued. There was never a dull moment between those two. And again he had to wonder, if he and Liz did give themselves a chance to become more, would they be like the couple in front of him or would they be, as his brother mentioned, far worse?

tbc....
kay_b
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Forever and a Day ~ AU, M/L, Adult - PART 4 pg 6 - (3/23)

Post by kay_b »

A/N: I'm not going to bother you with a lot of talk since I know you all want to get on to the story already. Just want to apologize for the long wait and thanks for all your feedback. :D *hugs*

~*~*~*~*~

CHAPTER 5

Sunday morning and Max just picked Liz up for his family’s weekend luncheons. She was wearing a strapless white sundress with brown and aqua flowers printed on the material that reached just above her knees. He, on the other hand, wore acid washed denims and a white tee and a blue blazer, matched with a pair of black boots that had scruff marks on the toes, not because he wore them out, that was just the way he bought and paid hundreds for them.

They used his black Boxster as he drove through the freeway towards his parents’ house, the home he and his siblings grew up in.

“You’re quiet today.” Liz commented.

Max wore a pair of dark sunglasses and didn’t really say anything.

“Are you still thinking about quitting like Isabel said?” Liz tried to initiate a conversation once more.

“Maybe.”

Liz began to wonder what was going on and she was getting pissed by the minute. “You know, if you don’t want me to go to your parents’ house, you could’ve easily said so and I won’t mind.”

“What?” Max turned to look at his companion.

“Well, you don’t want to talk to me so obviously you don’t want me to be here.” Liz replied.

“No”, Max exhaled heavily as he continued to drive. “It’s not that, ok. I just have a lot on my mind lately.”

Liz was thinking whether she should stay mad at Max or not. But as usual, their friendship and her concern for him always won out.

“Do you want to talk about it?” she asked softly.

“Not really.” Max answered.

“Ok.” Liz sat straight in her seat and looked ahead to where they were going.

After some time, Max spoke up. He took Liz’s hand in his, letting go of the stick. “I’m sorry. I just have a million things running through my head and I’m still trying to process them all.”

Liz just nodded.

“Michael’s coming today, and he’s bringing Maria”, he said to lighten up the mood in the car.

“That’s nice.” Liz smiled a bit at that.

“Yeah, I think those two will just get hitched soon.”

“Well if their relationship is serious, then I wouldn’t be surprised if they get married. And if Michael is ready to take the next step, he should really bring Maria more to your family’s lunches.”

“I told him the same thing.” Max released Liz’s hand and motioned to their heads. “See, great minds think alike.”

Liz laughed, “Who said you had a great mind?”

Max smiled, noticing how Liz’s laugh seemed to sound melodious to his ears.

“Don’t worry about me, ok? Whatever this funk I’m in, I’ll get over it soon.” Max said seriously.

“I know you’ll be able to handle it. I just want you to remember that in case you need help with anything, I’m here. Besides, I don’t like seeing my friends going through something and not be able to do anything about it.”

“I know, because that’s just the kind of friend you are.” Max said.

“And what kind is that?”

“The sweet, caring, understanding, thoughtful, and dependable kind.”

~*~*~

They soon arrived in the Evans home. Despite the income that the siblings earn, not to mention the salary of their top notch lawyer father, Philip; their house wasn’t a mansion. But it was surely big enough for a family of five. It had a living room, a family room, dining, kitchen, a den, an office for Philip, a master suite, a guest room and 3 large bedrooms for each of their kids. The patio, where most of their lunches were held, opened out to a beautiful landscape that their mom, Diane, took care of immaculately.

Max parked his vehicle on the driveway and got out of the car. He waited for Liz to reach him before walking together into the house that Max grew up in.

As soon as Max opened the door, Diane warmly greeted them.

“Max, sweetheart.” Diane hugged her son as if she hadn’t seen him in years. She was always close to her children. When they began to move out, she was in tears and would drop by the kids’ new homes everyday for a month. It took her some time before she began letting go. HOWEVER, Sunday lunches were compulsory.

“Hey, Mom.” Max said, returning the gesture.

Diane was always happy whenever her family was complete. After releasing her second son, she then turned to Liz.

“Hi Liz.” Diane hugged the petite brunette that her son was so fond of. “I’m so glad you came.”

“Thanks for having me.” Liz said with a smile.

“Oh please, you’re always welcome here. Even without Max.” she whispered conspiratorially, leading Liz into the hallway with an arm on her shoulder.

Max followed right behind them, “You know I can hear you, right?”

The women just laughed, with Max shaking his head as they continued to walk out to the patio.

Out there, he saw his sister and his father talking as they sat at the table.

When Max walked through the doors, his dad stood up to greet him, each of them giving the other a manly hug.

“How’s work, son?” Philip asked.

“It’s good.” Max replied cautiously, glancing at Isabel to see if she said anything about their talk at Liz’s restaurant last week.

Then Diane and Liz came out. Philip let go of his son and also hugged the woman he came with.

“Hello, Liz.” Philip welcomed.

“Hi Philip.” Liz responded with a hug too.

“Hey Liz.” Isabel spoke from her seat, still munching at the luscious strawberries on her fruit plate.

“Hey Iz.” Liz smiled.

After the pleasantries were distributed, Philip sat at the head of the table, Diane was at the other end. Isabel was seated on one side, while Max and Liz were at the other, cozily smiling and laughing at something their father said.

Isabel was watching them closely, shaking her head slightly from time to time. She still couldn’t understand why her brother never asked Liz out…or why Liz never asked her brother out for that matter. They looked so good together. And hell, practically every news article about Max always included Liz. All the media are still speculating that they were a couple but are adamantly denying anything going on between them.

Frankly, she wasn’t surprised that that was what the press and everyone else in the industry thought. They were always together; it was like they were joined at the hip. Most, if not all of the photos the paparazzi have taken of Max always had Liz right there with him. Even her and her own parents thought Liz was Max’s girlfriend when he just first announced at one of their Sunday lunches that he was bringing a friend along the following week.

Now expectedly they were all surprised at that since Max has never brought home a girl, ever. So imagine the shock on their faces when he walked in with a young and beautiful girl in his arms. At first, Diane and Philip were beside themselves, flustering over a girl that their golden boy had finally decided to bring home and introduce to them.

She was happy too that her brother had found a nice, decent woman to have a relationship with. Not like all those other women she only found out he was dating through the gossip magazines. All of them looked like trash to her. But Liz, no, Liz wasn’t like any of them at all. She was a breath of fresh air for Max.

And then he had to disappoint everyone; turned out that they were just ‘friends’. Ha, that was such a showbiz line to use. Isabel thought they were lying, that they just didn’t want to publicize their relationship. Because what other reason would you bring a girl home to meet your parents if you weren’t serious with her. But no, they really were just friends.

And they still are, years later and still nothing. She didn’t know if she should bang their heads together to get them to see that they were absolutely perfect for each other. But then she decided it was better to let her brother handle his own love life rather than get yelled at for trying to meddle in it. After all, their mother has been doing that well all by herself.

“So Liz how’s your business doing?” Diane asked.

“Oh we’ve been really busy this last month. More and more people want us to do catering jobs for them.” Liz replied.

“That’s nice, hun. Just make sure you don’t work yourself to the ground.” Diane addressed Liz before looking at her son. “You make sure she doesn’t work too hard, Max.”

Max who was sitting quietly just listening to the conversation with a look that showed he was actually thousands of miles away, suddenly sat up straighter after hearing his name called. “What was that?”

“I said, make sure that Liz doesn’t work too hard.” reiterated Diane.

“Mom, she’s a big girl, I’m sure she knows that.” Max answered.

“But you’re supposed to look after her. After all, you’re not getting any younger and with each of your careers going so well; why not take a break and think about marriage.”

Liz choked on her drink and Max almost spit out the slice of strawberry he just popped in his mouth.

“MOM!” Max whined.

Isabel laughed as she handed Liz a napkin.

Liz took it and gave Isabel a look of gratitude with a strained smile before wiping her mouth.

“What? Is it so wrong to want to see the two of you settling down already?”

“Dad?” Max turned to his father, who coincidentally was making himself busy wiping his fork.

“Don’t look at me.” was the only reply he gave his son without even looking at him.

Max looked back at him mother, “Mom, you know Liz and I aren’t together. Every week, you keep pushing this.” He wasn’t even embarrassed anymore, unlike the first time when his parents mistook Liz as his girlfriend when he brought her to their weekend luncheons. His mom always brought this up, and although he kept thinking that maybe this weekend she wouldn’t, she never failed to do so.

Max knew she had good intentions, but for crying out loud, give it a break already. It’s been every weekend for years now! His mom was relentless with a capital R. Even Liz had gotten used to it by now. He sometimes wondered though why he kept bringing Liz anyway, knowing that they would get grilled about their relationship. And if he didn’t bring Liz, it would be a whole lot worse.

That one time she couldn’t come because she was sick, the interrogation became like the Spanish Inquisition. His mom thought maybe Liz was pregnant and that was why she wasn’t feeling well. He even had to have Liz call his mother just to prove to her that all she had was a bug and not a bun in the oven.

“Well, you’re both unattached as you claim. And you’re such good friends, why can’t you be together?” And then Diane went for the jugular, “I just want to see you both happy.”

“Who said we weren’t?” Max asked.

“Well, Izzy said—”

“Hey, there’s Michael and Maria.” Isabel interjected upon hearing how the conversation turned.

The Evans and Liz all looked at the newcomers but Max had his eyes trained on his sister. Unfortunately for Izzy, they were burning with fury.

She looked at her brother with fear.

“This isn’t over, Isabel.” Max vowed spitefully.
kay_b
Addicted Roswellian

Forever & a Day ~ Chapter 6

Post by kay_b »

A/N: I actually have to be finishing up my cake for my final class this afternoon but I can't not reply to each and everyone of you after still being here to read my fic.

Thanks so much, everyone. I love reading all your feedback.

Ok, so here goes all my responses, answers, replies, whatever you want to call them.

Natalie36, roswell4life, Alien_Friend, Cocogurl, RoninBehr: Yeah, Diane is one of the many people (actually the entire Evans clan) pushing for Max and Liz to just get on with it and be together. Even though, Max didn't know he had feelings for Liz, the family sees how perfect they are for each other. And we all know how moms can get with these things.

jake17: LOL, um, you're going to have to wait for a bit on that one.

Addicted2AmberEyes: Unfortunately, Max is going to get a lot of frustrations in this one. But it's only because they care about him. Although I agree with you, let him get there in his own time.

keepsmiling7: Thanks for the feedback.

yayaliens: Yup, you can't keep me away from this site for long. LOL, good idea on that last question. I know I'd say yes in a heartbeat.

EVE: Yeah, you'd think they'd be used to it by now. But I know how that feels, being pushed all the time, and no matter how close you are to the people doing it, the embarrassment is always there, more so if the person involved is sitting right beside you. Thanks for still reading.

Emma: Thanks so much for the fb, chica. :D

Becca1974: Um....

L-J-L-76: Wow, lots of questions, lol. Ok, first one, yes, Maria and Michael know since Max talked to them. As for them trying to get them together, um, not sure yet. Diane and Isabel can only do so much especially since they have no clue about Max's feelings. All other questions, you'll have to wait for the next chapters, don't want to reveal too much.

Kylie: Yes, I'm back. Hopefully you'll like this one, though I doubt it. :twisted: And see, I did post the new part right after your post, lol.

To everyone reading, feedbackers and lurkers, thanks so much for giving this fic a try.

Enjoy the new part.

~*~*~*~

CHAPTER SIX

“Hi guys!” Michael greeted as he and Maria came waltzing out to the patio where the rest of his family was gathered. He kissed his mom and hugged his dad. He then moved to hug Isabel, greet Liz and lastly, give Max a hard pat on the back.

Maria too greeted Philip and Diane with hugs as well as Isabel, Max and Liz. Then Michael had a chair out for her right beside Isabel, whom she noticed to be staring at Max with something akin to fright.

As soon as Michael was seated, he was looking directly at Max, who was sitting right across him. Michael looked like the cat that ate the canary. He was sporting an amused look on his face and a smile that clearly said, ‘I know something!’

And Max didn’t like it one bit. Why did Michael have to show up today? Today, when things weren’t going right in his head…well, more like his heart.

Then again, if it was the other way around, he knew he’d be here as well, without a doubt. He would definitely show up for lunch to watch his brother squirm. And that was exactly why Michael was looking at him that way; he wanted to see him wriggling in his seat.

“Liz, so glad you can make it today.” Michael grinned.

Liz’s brows furrowed though she answered Michael with a smile, “Uh, yeah, I’m glad you could too, Michael.” Then she looked over at Max in confusion. But what she saw surprised her; her best friend was absolutely fuming.

“Max?” Liz turned to him with worry but Max just ignored her.

“What did Isabel tell you, Mom?” he asked after setting his sights on his sister once more.

“Nothing. Why, should we be concerned about something?”

Max looked at his dad then.

Philip heaved a sigh and began, “Max, don’t get mad at Izzy for telling us what’s going on with you. You hardly talk to us whenever something’s bothering you. She was just worried about you. Although frankly, I’m glad that you’re thinking more about your future and what to do once you’re done with your modeling business.”

“I can’t believe you!” Max shouted at Isabel. He quickly got up, making his chair topple back in the process.

“Max!” Diane yelled.

“I’m sorry, Max.” Isabel started apologizing with tears in her eyes. “I didn’t mean to say anything.”

Max threw his napkin on the table and went back into the house.

“Max!” Diane kept calling her son and was about to go after him but Liz beat her to it.

”Max”, Liz was running to catch up with him as he headed straight to his old room.

Once he was in, he unceremoniously plopped himself on his bed, his eyes staring blankly at the ceiling.

Liz didn’t even bother knocking and just went into his room. She couldn’t even count how many times she’s been in there. The first time Max gave her the tour, she was amazed. It didn’t reflect anything like his bachelor pad. It was homey and cozy in a masculine way.

Looking at the queen sized bed, the study desk, the bookshelves, the blues and the olive green colors of the room; it clearly still bore Max’s personality. Diane never did redecorate her children’s room even after they’ve moved out. She wanted it to remain the same as they left it, in case of a bizarre twist of event and they decide to move back into the house.

Liz sat on the bed beside him, studying him closely.

Max couldn’t look at her so instead he just closed his eyes.

“You can’t block me out, you know.” Liz started.

“I know.” he replied, his eyes still closed.

“You’ll have to talk about it.”

“Yup.”

Liz waited in silence. She knew Max would tell her what’s bothering him eventually. It just never happened like this before. He had never yelled at his sister like that, nor has he ever stormed out the way he did just a mere minute ago. He never acted childishly whenever there was something wrong. He always played it cool and let it draw out till whatever mess he was in sorted itself out for him. So she couldn’t help but agonize over the turmoil he’s been dealing with, for him to act so callously.

“Will you just lie with me?” Max asked with his eyes still closed.

Liz nodded though she knew he couldn’t see her and just lied down right next to him.

As soon as the bed dipped, Max sought out her hand and just held it to his chest.

Liz watched him quietly, feeling his heart beating a mile a minute, knowing that it was anger that was fueling him on. She knew that Max needed some time to calm down, so that was what she did. They just lied there, both looking up, saying nothing, and only the sounds of their breathing filled the room.
“What the hell just happened?” Michael asked then looked at his youngest sibling.

Isabel couldn’t look at her eldest brother.

“What type of shit did you do this time, Iz?” Michael asked once more.

“Michael.”

“Michael!”

Both Maria and Philip spoke his name to call his attention.

“I didn’t mean to.” Isabel whispered; tears about to pour out of her eyes.

“Michael, Isabel only told us what was bothering Max because we asked her to.” Diane explained.

“Wait, you know what’s wrong with Max?”

“Yes, and honestly, I don’t think there’s anything wrong with wanting to quit.” Diane replied.

“Quit? Who said anything about Max quitting?”
“I want to stop working.” Max said suddenly.

“Why?” Liz asked. She never sat up, she never turned her head to regard him; she just listened.

He didn’t know what to tell her. Did he want to quit because he wanted to concentrate on his future? Or did he want to quit so he could focus on Liz. However, he couldn’t tell her that so instead he gave her a lame excuse.

“I’m so tired, Lizzie.” Max turned and hugged his friend, encircling his arms around her.

Liz allowed him, and hugged him back just as tightly.
“Isn’t that what’s been troubling him?” Philip asked.

“Well, not entirely…”

“Do you know something, Michael?” Diane inquired.

“Michael.” Maria’s tone was a warning. He shouldn’t have opened his mouth.

He cautiously looked at Maria. “Look, as much I would love to tell you, and believe me, I do, I can’t. It’s not my secret to tell.” Michael replied.

“So it’s a secret now?” Diane voiced out. It somewhat hurt that there was something wrong with one of her babies and she couldn’t do anything about it. She knew Liz would be able to help and she knew that someday Liz would take over her role of looking after her son. And dare she acknowledge it, she already has. But still, it hurt that she was kept out of it, and judging from Michael’s words, it looks like Max has no plans of going to her with his problems.
Max just held on, relishing in the feeling of having the woman he loved in his arms.

Wait, so was he really admitting it, even if it’s just to himself? So he’s really in love with her now?

He pulled away slightly and looked at Liz…his Lizzie. His eyes were dreamy, his lids half closed as he stared. He gave her a small smile which she easily returned.

With the sunlight pouring in the room through his window, he noticed how her hair seemed more brown, the color of melted chocolate. He saw her eyes sparkling, her lips had a tinge of pink to them, either that was its natural shade or she dabbed on some lip gloss, he couldn’t tell.

Looking at her, really looking and taking in her serene face, he was once again struck by how beautiful his best friend was.

“How come you never want to go into modeling?”

Liz groaned, “Are we discussing this again?” She moved to get up but Max tightened his grip on her.

“Yes” was his only response.

She sighed before talking once more. “One, you just said you wanted to quit. And now you want me to go involve myself in that career? Besides, I’m not as gorgeous as you and your brother and sister, Max. I don’t have the face that Isabel has, nor the body, nor the height, or anything else that would make anyone stop in their tracks to look at me.”

“I would.”

Liz laughed, “Yeah, right, you’re just saying that cause you know I’d hit you if you claim otherwise.”

“I’m serious. Why do you think I decided to help you move into your house when we first met?”

Liz blinked and looked for any signs that he was joking, but she found none.

“I think your parents are getting worried about what happened. Maybe we should get back to them.” Liz said and entangled herself from Max’s embrace.

The quick change of topic didn’t escape Max’s notice but he let her go. Now wasn’t the time for this. He himself didn’t know if he was ready for it.

“You’re right. Come on, let’s go before they send out a search party.” He helped her up and together they walked back out to the patio where the rest of his family was still seated.

He knew he would have to do some damage control with his earlier outburst. He might as well face the music and get it over with it. At least, he’ll only have to deal with Isabel’s blabbing mouth…for now. He could only hope that Michael wouldn’t follow in their sister’s footsteps.

tbc
kay_b
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Forever & a Day ~ AU, M/L, Adult - PART 6, pg 10 - (5/1)

Post by kay_b »

A/N: I'm not going to bore you with too much talking since I know you all want to get to the new chapter below. BUT I still do want to thank everyone for reading this and for posting your feedbacks and bumps. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Now without further adieu...

~*~*~*~

CHAPTER SEVEN

Both Max and Liz walked back out to the patio hand in hand. But as soon as they reached the table, they let go. Liz sat as did Max, neither uttering a word.

Everyone was watching them, and all had confusion etched on their faces.

Max was the first one to break the silence.

“I’m really sorry about my earlier outburst, Mom. I didn’t mean to disrupt the lunch like that. I was just really angry.” He said softly.

“I understand how you may feel that Izzy betrayed your trust by blabbing, Max. But don’t blame her, we were the ones who kept asking.” Diane responded.

“We were only concerned about you, son.” Philip added.

“I know and I’m grateful for that, but I would’ve appreciated it if you came to me.” Max said.

“But how can we do that when you yourself won’t even open up to us?” Diane was feeling helpless as the conversation went on.

Max sighed and was about to respond, but he felt Liz’s hand reach out for his. He looked at her but found that she wasn’t even looking at him. She wasn’t showing any type of emotion at all. She was simply trying to calm him down to be able to talk rationally and not let his anger reign over the conversation.

Max knew what she was trying to do. After all, Liz wasn’t his best friend for nothing. She knew him inside and out though they’ve only known each other for a few years. It was having spent all that time together that made them close. Michael even made a joke about it once when after trying to get in touch with Max several times and was unsuccessful, he tried Liz’s number. Sure enough, it didn’t even take a minute before the phone was transferred to Max.

Michael referred to them as being glued at the hips. And it was true, wherever Liz was, Max wasn’t far behind. The only thing that would take him away from her was when he had a job some place else. But the minute he can come back home, he would have Liz pick him up at the airport.

No, he wasn’t clingy. Not clingy at all.

“Ok, you want to know what I’m going through right now, I’ll tell you.”

Michael visibly perked up upon hearing that. Would his brother candidly say his feelings for his best friend in front of the entire family? Or maybe he already told Liz when they disappeared for a few minutes and now they were coming out in the open. Well, whatever he was going to say, he was really happy he came to the family lunch today.

Maria took a glance at her boyfriend and could literally see the gears working in his head. Michael was hoping to see his brother squirm with the knowledge that was revealed to them a few days back. But boyfriend or not, she wasn’t going to let Michael torture Max.

Liz looked at Max. While she didn’t push him to tell her what was bothering him, she also wanted to know what was wrong. Because then, she’ll know how to help him.

Everyone was waiting for him to continue. Max looked at Liz, then at Michael and imperceptibly shook his head at him in the negative.

Then Max turned to his mother. “It’s nothing bad. I’m just thinking that eventually, this will end. And I have no idea what to do after.”

Philip was smiling, he knew Max has always been the most sensible one among his children and he was glad that he was thinking about his future. When they all decided to go into the modeling industry, he was worried for them. He knew how fickle it could be, one minute you’re on top, and down the next. Everything could be gone in a second, and that bothered him. There was no stability unlike having an occupation like that of a doctor, or a lawyer.

But with this turn of events, Max looking beyond the here and now, he was pleased that he did something right. Max has a good head on his shoulders, and he could only hope that his other two children would do the same.

“Max, that’s actually a wonderful thing.” Philip commented.

The three siblings turned to look at their dad in confusion.

“How can that be a good thing?” Isabel asked, finally speaking since Max rejoined them.

“Well, it shows that you’re thinking of your future. You understand the business that you’re in and you’re planning the next step.” Philip replied. He then focused on Max, “I’m really proud that you’re doing this. The answer doesn’t have to come to you today. Just take it one step at a time and I’m sure you’ll find your niche soon.”

“But that’s just it, Dad. I don’t want to just sit back and wait until I’m already out of a job before I go looking for another one. I want to find one now.” Max answered.

Liz was so relieved that finally she knew what was bothering him. But Michael was disappointed and it clearly showed on his face as he wore a scowl.

“Don’t worry so much about it, Max. We’ll help you find something, I’m sure.” Liz offered.

Max looked at his best friend and smiled at her. ‘There she goes again with that kindness’, he thought.

Michael noticed the exchange and swiftly dealt a kick under the table to Max. Unfortunately he missed and nicked Liz’s leg instead.

“Ow!” Liz yelped and reached underneath the table to rub the sore spot.

“What happened?” Max was immediately alarmed.

“Liz, are you alright?” Diane asked.

Everyone was showing their concern except Michael.

Max had already pulled Liz’s chair out and saw her rubbing her leg, and wondered out loud what was wrong. He knelt in front of her and took her leg, putting her ankle over his knee and quickly saw the red spot.

Isabel who was leaning over to see what was going on saw what Max was tending to and sprung into action, “I’ll go get some ice.” Without another word, she went to the kitchen and got a towel and put some ice cubes in it, wrapping those in a bundle. She came right out and handed the makeshift cold compress to Max.

“Thanks.” Max gave her a small smile as he took the bundle out of his sister’s hand.

Isabel smiled back, and even though she knew she wasn’t completely forgiven, at least her brother was speaking to her again.

When Max ceased rubbing and removed his hand to put the ice on, he saw that a bruise was quickly forming.

“What the hell?” He couldn’t understand how Liz got hurt.

“It’ll be ok.” Liz kept insisting over the fussing that everyone was showing.

Everyone that is, except for Michael.

When the ice in the towel began to soothe the ache, Liz told everyone to continue the lunch. She kept persisting that she was fine and it was nothing to fret about. She actually felt embarrassed over all the attention and how she was disrupting their meal.

“Don’t worry about that, Liz. Are you sure you’re ok?” Diane asked.

Liz nodded, “Yes, the ice is helping a lot.”

Max stood up and was still baffled by the incident, until he saw his brother’s look.

The guilt plastered there was so obvious, Max wanted to jump over the table and kick him in the face. Max ran his fingers through his hair in exasperation. It was just one mishap after the other.

“Michael” Max called his attention, his voice monotonous.

Everyone seated at the table knew, that a yelling Max was far better than a calm one. Because yelling showed his anger, while if he was talking calmly, that meant he was seething and his fury was quickly boiling to the surface.

“What?” Michael looked back at Max. He knew what was coming.

“Apologize.” It wasn’t a request. It was an order. He didn’t care when Isabel did something wrong. He was the victim in that incident. But when it came to Liz, hell hath no fury like Max’s when it concerned her.

Maria looked at Michael, “What did you do?”

Normally, Michael can control Max. Even when his brother was that angry at him, he still stood a chance at being able to calm him down. But adding Maria to the mix wasn’t a good combination. If he didn’t do something fast, he would be smack dab in the center of a maelstrom.

He scratched his brow and admitted his sin sheepishly. “I was aiming for you”, he confessed, addressing his younger brother.

“What?” Maria was flabbergasted. So Liz’s injury was caused by her doofus boyfriend?

Philip gasped. “Michael, how could you?”

“I said apologize.” Max reiterated.

Michael looked at Liz, “I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to uh… kick you.”

“Michael!” Diane was shocked and ashamed of what her eldest son has done toward their guest. She quickly turned her attention to Liz, “Oh goodness, I’m so sorry about that, Liz. Sometimes, I wonder how old these kids really are.”

Liz smiled at Philip, Diane and then at Michael, “It’s fine, really.”

Max rubbed his face with one hand in annoyance. If it weren’t for his parents, he wouldn’t have come to their lunch at all. And that would have meant a safer and uninjured Liz.

“You know what, I think we should just go home before something else bad happens” Max suggested though he was already getting up off his chair. He leaned over Liz’s chair, ready to pull that out as well.

“Max, no.” Diane didn’t want them to leave. She looked at Liz and saw that the girl was torn.

Liz felt exactly that. She knew Max was pissed and it was better to leave now before he gets any more enraged. But she also felt sorry for Diane, the woman just wanted to have a nice family lunch together with her kids.

“Max, it’s ok.” With her doe brown eyes, she conveyed to him that they shouldn’t leave.

“Are you sure?” Max asked back.

Liz only nodded with a small smile and Max sat back down.

With that disaster averted, the Evans family plus their two guests went on to enjoy their lunch.
~*~*~*~
Max drove Liz home but instead of parking his car in her driveway, he went on to drive to his.

Liz knew that Max wanted to look at her leg again and assure himself that she was going to be alright. Knowing how Max could get protective of her if she so much as get a paper cut, he was bordering on obsessive especially since it was his own brother that caused her injury.

So she just got out of the car and followed him into the house without saying a word.

Max motioned for her to sit on a dining chair as he went to get his first aid kit from one of the lower cabinets in the kitchen.

Liz sat and looked at the red spot. Only then did she notice that some skin was nicked which was still causing the sting she was feeling.

Max sat right beside her and lifted her leg to rest on his.

“Jeez, what the fuck did he do to you?” Max asked when he really saw the damage.

“Max, don’t get so dramatic, it was an accident.”

Max shook his head, “No, he was intentionally trying to kick me. It just so happens he had a bad aim.”

Liz giggled. Max looked up and his face certainly showed that he didn’t share her amusement. “What’s so funny?”

“Why are you in such a grumpy mood today?” Liz asked back, all signs of laughter gone from her face.

“Nothing,” Max mumbled as he started to tend to her wound.

“That’s what you keep saying but obviously it’s anything but. I believed you when you told your parents that you were just worried about your future. That was all an act, wasn’t it?”

“It’s the truth.” Max replied heatedly.

“Maybe part of it, but there’s something more. And I bet Michael knows what’s been bothering you. That’s why he was trying to kick you under the table.”

Max had an irritated look, “What are you talking about?”

Liz removed her leg from its perch and stood up. “I don’t want to talk to you anymore if you’re going to act this way. If you don’t want to tell me, that’s fine. I said I won’t push anymore and I meant it. But that doesn’t give you the right to be angry at me for something I have no knowledge about.” Then she started walking towards the door.

“Where are you going?” Max was starting to yell.

“Home; where I don’t have to deal with such childish behavior.” She walked out, slamming the door behind her.

Max was beyond pissed; swiping the bandages and antiseptic ointment off the table. Then he stormed into his room.
kay_b
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Forever & a Day ~ AU, M/L, Adult - PART 7, pg 13 - (5/28)

Post by kay_b »

Thank you, thank you, thank you. :D I'm so glad you all found it funny. I'm going for that light, romantic comedy everyone loves to watch...well, in this case, read. I've wanted to write something non-dramatic ever since the idea for my first fic came to mind, and now I'm finally getting somewhere close, after what...4 years? :lol:

Anyway, enough with the chit chat. Thanks again for reading this and enjoy the new part.

~*~*~*~*~

CHAPTER EIGHT

Five minutes before midnight, the cell phone began to ring.

“What?” Liz answered irritated. She already knew who was calling her, thanks to the magic of technology and caller ID, though if she was honest she didn’t really have to check.

“I’m sorry.”

Liz sighed, her anger dissipating. “I’m sorry too, for leaving the way I did. I don’t want to fight with you.”

“I don’t want to fight either.”

“Then why, Max? Why does it feel like you’re pouring your anger at me?”

“I’m not. But if that’s how it seems to you, then I apologize. I’m just angry that Isabel and Michael can’t keep their mouths shut.”

“So there is more to this than what you’ve told your parents. And Michael and Isabel know what you’re going through.” That stung a tad, although Liz dejectedly acknowledged that she had no right to feel hurt that his siblings knew what was going on with him and she didn’t.

“Mike does.”

“Ok.”

Silence filled the air as both persons on the line didn’t utter a word.

“I’ll tell you, just not at this moment.” Max spoke.

“You don’t have to. It’s something that obviously is a big deal for you. I don’t want you to feel like you have to tell me every little thing that goes on in your life.”

Max smiled at that, “Thanks…for understanding me.”

“It’s not that hard.” Liz grinned though she knew the guy she was talking to could not see her.

“This is why we’re such good friends.”

“Best friends.”

“Yeah…best friends.” Now it was Max’s turn to wear a smile, only, his was bittersweet. And for one, he was glad that Liz couldn’t see him from the other end of the line.

“Does your leg still hurt?” Max asked with concern.

“Just a little bit.”

“I still can’t believe Michael kicked you.”

Liz laughed, “Now you must admit, it is sort of funny.”

“I guess.”

“Oh come on, Max. It is. Did you see the guilt on his face when he realized what he did?”

“Ok, maybe it was a little funny, now that I think about it.” Max grinned. “But I was just so mad at him for kicking your leg.”

“He didn’t mean to. He said he was aiming for you.”

“Yeah, the bastard.”

Both Max and Liz laughed.

“So…am I forgiven, for acting in such a…what was that again?”

“A childish behavior.”

“Ah, yes, that.”

“Yes, you are, Max. But you have to forgive me too, for storming out on you like that.”

“I understand why you did it though. You don’t have to apologize.”

“Yes, I do.”

When Max heard that, he was struck with what those three words would mean given a different setting. Once again, his mind was plagued with doubts about his future and his rapidly deepening feelings for Liz.

“Max? You there?”

“Huh? What? Oh yeah, I’m here.”

“Did you even listen to what I just said?”

“Uh…something about how you had to apologize to me?”

“After that.”

“Um…”

Liz chuckled, “I knew it. I said I should apologize because I should’ve talked it out with you. I was saying that you were acting like a little brat when I practically did the same thing.”

“Enough with the apologies. I forgive you, though you didn’t really do anything wrong, you forgive me. And we both forget this whole thing. Deal?”

“Deal.”

“So we’re good right?”

“Of course.”

“Then, we’re ok…. So, what are your plans for tomorrow?”

And just like that, everything went back to normal in the world of Max and Liz.

“Hold your horses, I’m coming.” Michael grumbled as he walked to open his front door, which currently seemed like it was being pounded by a freaking sledge hammer.

As soon as it opened though, he fervently wished he just kept it locked as a hard fist crashed against his jaw.

“Fuck!”

“Yeah, fuck is right. What the fuck were you thinking, Mike?” Max yelled; barreling into his brother’s house as Michael stumbled back from the blow.

Michael was about to tackle his brother down when he got back his bearings but thought against it after he saw Max’s defensive stance. The boy wasn’t going to back down despite Michael being bigger than him. Max was ready to fight, and not the brotherly rumble, tumble kind. He was in full blown war mode.

While Michael may be bigger and taller with regard to his weight and height, Max was the better built. He took pride in his body, sculpting it just right, buff as the ladies called it. His body tone had just the right amount of muscle, as if he was chiseled to perfection. It didn’t come easy though. He exercised a lot to keep it the way it is. And it didn’t help that he was practically living at his best friend’s house, who just happened to be a chef in her own restaurant.

As Max’s thoughts drifted back to Liz, the flames of anger doubled.

“I apologized.” Michael spoke.

“Yeah, you said I’m sorry and that was it?”

“What do you want me to do, man? Beg on my hands and knees?”

Max just raised a trimmed brow at that.

“Come on, Liz said she was ok.”

“Did you see what you did to her leg? You fucking tore a piece of her skin off!”

Michael had the humility to blanch at that. “It was that bad?”

“Do you seriously think I would screw up your face if it wasn’t?” Max asked back. “I could’ve hit you anywhere. But being the vain guy I know you to be, I wanted to hit you were it would hurt the most.”

“Oh shit, man. I’m sorry. I wasn’t intending for her to get hurt.” Michael said sincerely from his seat on the couch.

“Yeah, yeah, you’re wasting your words on me, bro.” Max got a bag of frozen peas from Michael’s refrigerator and handed it to his brother.

Michael accepted the peace offering and gingerly held it against his aching jaw. “If my face becomes crooked because of that sucker-punch, you’re paying my cosmetologist.”

Max’s eyes widened, “You’ve got to be kidding me. I could hit the other side to make it even if you want.”

“No, no. I’m good. My insurance can cover it.” But as Michael responded to his brother, he was already picking up the phone, dialing a friend’s private line.

“Hey, Michael.”

“Liz, how are you?”

“I’m good, you?” Liz’s cheery voice carried through the phone lines. That’s one of the things Michael liked about Liz. No matter the circumstances, she always had a smile ready for everyone she meets.

“No, seriously Liz, how’s the leg?”

Liz’s smile quickly disappeared. Michael wouldn’t be calling her just to ask about that, unless…

“Give him the phone”, she demanded.

“What?” Michael had a weird look on his face directed at Max. “Liz, I just called to apologize. I’m really sorry about what happened. I didn’t mean to hurt you like that.”

“I know and I accepted your apology…yesterday. It was an accident. Now, hand the phone over to Max.”

Busted.

Max knew he was caught when Michael slowly offered the phone to him on an open palm, looking at it like it was possessed.

“She wants to talk to you.”

Max took the phone and held it against his ear, knowing what was to come.

“I can’t believe you! You said you’d let it go.”

“No, I believe I said I would let OUR incident go, not him.” Max looked menacingly at his brother as he walked away towards the kitchen.

“Max, it’s done. It’s not like you can hop on some time machine and prevent this from happening. LET IT GO.” Liz punctuated the last three words.

“Fine”, Max huffed. “I’ll pick you up as soon as I’m done here, ok?”

“Ok, and don’t hurt him.” Liz instructed.

“What? I barely touched him.” He groaned out his defense.

Michael walked into the kitchen, just hearing that last statement and shouted, “He punched me in the jaw!!!”

“What? Max!”

Max glared at Michael right after he told on him and winced when he heard Liz’s response to his brother’s whining.

“Bye, Liz”, Max said and quickly hung up.

Michael gulped at the look of murder seeping out of his younger brother’s eyes.

“Oh shit.”
kay_b
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Forever & a Day ~ AU, M/L, Adult - EIGHT pg 14 - (6/5)

Post by kay_b »

Disclaimer: I do not own anything in this fic except the plot.

A/N: Thanks so much for all your feedback.

Dziumka
Crazywolf
veronica
pandas2001
RoninBehr
omwf
Cocogurl
Becca1974
roswell4life
- Glad you liked it.
keepsmiling7 - Max has his reasons which will be revealed soon.
Natalie36 - Yeah, Michael just loves putting his foot in his mouth
ISLANDGIRL5 - Thanks so much for leaving fb. Yeah, siblings have strange ways of showing their love, lol.
Alien_Friend - Let's just say, Liz keeps Max grounded.
Emma - Thank you. How are you doing?
EVE - Yup, and that's why their the best of friends. Hmmm, you might be on to something. ;)
jake17 - I like Michael in this fic too. He's not as uptight as in the show. And you are so right about waiting.
roswell3053 - As Max always says of his BIG brother: "...such a f***ing baby!"
Michelle and Kylie - What pictures?!!! Do I have more pics with him that I haven't seen yet? And I have to emphasize that my voice has gone beyond the pitch that humans can hear. So if there are more pics, I NEED THEM ASAP!

Thanks again, everybody, feedbackers and lurkers alike. Thank you so much.

~*~*~*~*~

CHAPTER NINE

Two weeks later….

“I can’t believe that Michael finally did it!” Liz said as she put on her tank top.

“Believe it.” Max commented, playing with Bailey.

Liz’s Akita, a gift from Max, was loving the attention his other master was giving him at the moment.

Max was seated on the edge of Liz’s bed, providing the pooch a good rub down. “He planned it really well too.” he added.

“I’m sure Maria had a great time.”

“According to Mike, she screamed his ears off the second he got down on one knee.”

Liz laughed at that. “I bet she did.”
That week with the incident of Michael kicking Liz’s leg accidentally, was busy.

After Max hung up the phone call with Liz, he went after his brother.

“You’re such a baby!” Max was charging after him and Michael ran behind the sofa.

Max walked back into the living room; where Michael was now holding a poker. He was ready to swing should Max come any closer.

Max laughed at the sight. “You’re seriously ready to hit me with that?”

“Hey, you punched me.”

“And you kicked Liz.”

“Which I already apologized for!”

Max shook his head and laughed, “Ok, ok. I won’t come any closer.”

Michael narrowed his eyes at his baby brother then slowly put the poker back in front of the fireplace.

Max sat down on the sofa and waited for Michael to join him. After a period of silence, he spoke. “I don’t know what’s happening to me. Last night, Liz and I got into a fight and now, I hit you all because I couldn’t get her scraped leg out of my mind.”

Michael clapped his brother’s shoulder, “You’ve got it bad for her. I don’t understand why you just don’t come out and say it already.”

“Because I don’t think I can.”

Michael scoffed, “You? Of course you can. Max, I’ve seen you go out and get any woman back in the hotel room with you so you can fuck her brains out. And the next night, they’re crawling back for more.”

“That’s the past, Mike. That’s not what I’m about anymore.”

“Then what are you about now?”

Max didn’t talk.

“Max?”

“Don’t tell anyone I said this, because I’ll deny it if you do and I’ll tell them that you once wore women’s lingerie.”

“I was drunk!”

“So? You still wore it.”

“Fine, I won’t say a word.” Mike muttered.

“I want to marry Liz.” Max said it so softly that Michael wasn’t sure if he heard him right.

“I’m sorry, you said what?”

“I said I want to marry Liz.” Max repeated.

“Yeah, I thought that’s what you said.” Then Michael had an outburst, “Are you fucking serious?”

“Why would I blackmail you into keeping your trap shut if I wasn’t?” Max said with a one brow raised.

“You have a point there.”

Both boys were quiet, until Michael started up again.

“Where in the world did that come from?” He still couldn’t comprehend what his brother just told him.

Max stood up and started to pace back and forth. “I dunno, but it’s what I feel. The more I think about my feelings for her, the more I realize that she’s the one I want to spend the rest of my life with.”

“Whoa”, Michael leaned back in his seat as he watched Max.

“I know. I’ve pictured it a thousand times in my head, Mike.” Max got a faraway look in his eyes and he stopped pacing. “I can see us getting married, running the restaurant together, living in a big house with white picket fences, having kids, taking them to school. I’ll be picking them up and Liz will be at home baking cookies for our kids to come home to.”

“Shit, you…you’re beyond having it bad.” Michael ran his hands through his sandy brown hair.

“I know!”

“Well…” Michael looked guilty.

Max turned to face his brother. “Well what?”

“Well, I can totally relate to what you’re saying there, Max.”

Max remained silent, waiting for his brother to continue.

“I’m planning on proposing to Maria this weekend.”

Max’s eyes widened. “Really?”

Michael nodded. “Got the ring already.”

Max smiled, he was happy for his brother, though he couldn’t help envying him. “That’s really wonderful, Mike. I’m happy for you.”

“Thanks, bro. I just hope she likes it.”

“She will. Hell, you’ve been stringing her along for far too long.”

“Fuck you.”

Max only laughed in response.

Max grinned as he recalled that conversation. He finally admitted to himself that he wanted Liz more than anything else he ever wanted in his life. But up to now, he didn’t have the guts to tell her.

“Oh, did I tell you that Mike and I have a shoot in New York next week?”

“That’s great, Max.” Liz said as she walked out of her closet fully dressed and ready for work. She was buttoning up her chef’s jacket.

“Yup. It’s for the new Armani ad.” Max grinned.

“Wow, that’s big.” Liz said, moving about as she went looking for her shoes.

Max got up and went back into her closet. “No, not big. Huge.”

He came out dangling a red pair of sandals and a smirk on his face. “I don’t understand why you wear heels to work.”

“I feel more comfortable wearing them.” Liz said. Then she added in a whisper, “Plus it makes me taller.”

Max bit his lip to stifle his laughter.

Liz sneered and snatched the shoes from her friend’s hand. She then proceeded to wear them. “Are you sure about helping me today at the restaurant?”

“Yeah, is that a problem?”

“No, no problem at all.”

“What?” Max looked at her.

“What?” Liz answered, avoiding eye contact.

“Something’s bothering you.” Max commented.

“No.”

“No?”

“No.” Liz reiterated.

“No, that’s it, just no. No other explanation whatsoever.”

“Exactly.”

Max didn’t believe her for one bit. “Out with it, Liz.”

Liz sat down on the bed. “I just…are you sure you want to do this? Don’t get me wrong. I appreciate that you’ve been helping me and I know you get a kick out of surprising people when you show up but…”

“But?” Max moved to sit right beside her.

“But why are you doing it, Max? It can’t be just because you like hanging out with me.”

“Why not? What’s going on, Liz? You never complained before. If it’s becoming a hassle, then I won’t go.”

“No, that’s not it.”

“Then what is it?” He asked, emphasizing the last word.

Liz sighed, “I read somewhere that I’m making you into an errand boy and how you’re not supposed to be doing it cause you’re a supermodel.”

Max instantly saw red. “Where the fuck did you read that?”

“Don’t get mad.” Liz tried calming him.

“Liz, I thought we said we wouldn’t believe whatever is on those damn tabloids or whatever those stupid reporters say about our friendship.”

“Yes, we did.”

“Then why are you believing their shit?”

“I’m not. But I just thought maybe you were doing it because you felt obligated or something.”

Max shook his head adamantly. “No, stop it. I don’t feel like helping out at the restaurant is some chore. If I can be honest, I’ll say I like doing it. And I’ve considered maybe continuing it after I’m done with modeling.”

Liz was surprised at that admission.

“Don’t worry, I won’t be a competitor. I was thinking maybe we could go in business together.” Max shrugged.

“Really?” Liz was back to smiling again.

“Yeah, what do you think?”

“I think it’ll be awesome.” Liz wore a smile that only made Max love her more.

Now if only he could muster up the courage to tell her.