what's in a name?

This forum is for all general Roswell stuff. That means, general book and show discussion.

Moderators: Anniepoo98, ISLANDGIRL5, Forum Moderators

tequathisy
Addicted Roswellian

what's in a name?

Post by tequathisy »

have you ever noticed that all the guys in Roswell have names that can be boys or girls names?

Alex,
Kyle,
Max,
Jesse,

all girl/boy names.

Even Michael can be a girl's name but it's not as common as the other four.
Banner by Evelyn
Stargazer's Delight
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by Stargazer's Delight »

Does Max & Alex really count sinse they're only shortened versions of their names?
catdog-runs-fast
Enthusiastic Roswellian
Location: Somewhere South Of Mexico If My Broken Compass Is Correct

Post by catdog-runs-fast »

well thats what everybody called them so i think it does :)
Wheels will soon be made of ells!
You say it won’t ever happen? – No one believed the man who said the earth was round either!
A wise person once asked a very wise question - do you believe in otters?
khepri
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Re: what's in a name?

Post by khepri »

I don't believe I've ever met a girl named Kyle.
Man is least himself when he speaks in his own person, give him a mask and he'll tell you the truth.
Fehrbaby
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by Fehrbaby »

Interesting.

There was a girl on one of the America's Next Top Model seasons that was named Kyle, so I've seen that before.

I have an Alex (short for Alexandra) in my class.

Jesse, for a girl, is usually spelled Jessie - I've had one or two of those as students.

Max, though, I've never heard for a girl. The closest I've heard is Mac, which is usually short for Mackenzie or any other surname that ends in Mac/Mc.
Raychelxluscious
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Raychelxluscious »

There's Maxine. And the shortened variation is Max. I've heard that before. I actually interact with this woman on a weekly basis, but I call her Ms. *LastName*, lol, but I have heard Max used as a female's name.

As well as Kyle - and that's outside of ANTM. (:

Veeery interesting!
writing is a socially accepted form of schizophrenia

Roswell, New Mexico S1 Watch Party
StarGazing101
Addicted Roswellian

Post by StarGazing101 »

I have met girls named Michael. Also, to add to Fehrbaby's observation of ANTM Kyle (huge ANTM fan here), I have also met a girl named that in real time. Alexander has many feminine variations, and the nickname of the longer version is also used as a regular first name, so that's no surprise. Maxine is an older name that's not seen as often as it once was, though like some of the names beginning to crop up again, it may come back into popular rotation once again. I have also seen Jesse spelled such for both males and females, and it's a common nickname for Jessica. /obvious

Overall, very interesting observation. (Reminds me that on Grey's Anatomy, Meredith and Addison are both masculine names, but we'll leave that for said show's thread.)
cardinalgirl
Addicted Roswellian

Post by cardinalgirl »

I went to high school with a girl named Michael. Actually, I think it was spelled Michel, but it sounded the same as Michael.
nibbles2
Obsessed Roswellian

Post by nibbles2 »

Wasn't Jessica Alba's character in Dark Angel called Max? I'v met women called Alex and Kyle. Jesse can be a girl's name too. And I think there was an actress called Michael Michele in ER once.
Bloody Crow
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by Bloody Crow »

One of the Student in my first year sociology class was named [b]Alexis[/b], but I heard her friends calling her Alex during a chat.

i never heard a woman called Michael, but I know that there is a fmale version of that name Michella, I believe it is. I once met a girl named Michella