Australian Roswellians #4 - Home of the Drop Bear

The place for non-Americans to talk about the show and everything else.

Moderators: Island Breeze, Forum Moderators

pLANETv33n3ss
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by pLANETv33n3ss »

ooo nicki we have a newbie!! :D

heyy chloe, what part of aus you from?

i've jst recently found myself falling in love with clarke kent and all smallvile related things... hehe

by the by, my name's vee, i'm 15 and i'm from melbourne

oh btw luv ur siggie

l8rez xo
BlackBetty41
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by BlackBetty41 »

hey vee! i'm from melb too but i'm in bris now

i started watching smallville last august and i got really into it and yeh i'm a huge clark fan too....

awww thankies for the compliment on the banner, it's not that great cause i'm still learnin..hehe...

I'm your dream, mind astray
I'm your eyes while you're away
I'm your pain while you repay
you know it's sad but true
killjoy
Roswell Fanatic

Post by killjoy »

Hey I'm needing some help from the Australians on this board.I'm writting a story with Brody in it......and I'm assuming because I can't remember but Brody was Australian right? Well that was what his accent lead me to believe. :oops:

Well anyway I need a cultural reference here. In America if we don't care about something we say something like "Oh I don't give a crap about that!" I need the equivalent of that in Australian :D

Knowing my luck it's just the same and I've embarrassed myself :oops:
BlackBetty41
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by BlackBetty41 »

killjoy wrote:I'm writting a story with Brody in it......and I'm assuming because I can't remember but Brody was Australian right? Well that was what his accent lead me to believe. :oops:

Well anyway I need a cultural reference here. In America if we don't care about something we say something like "Oh I don't give a crap about that!" I need the equivalent of that in Australian :D

Knowing my luck it's just the same and I've embarrassed myself :oops:
uhm Brodie was British actually, not Australian :D

as for the "Oh I don't give a crap about that!" I said that like 5mins ago, so yeh I'd say it's the same thing :wink: hope that helps!

killjoy
Roswell Fanatic

Post by killjoy »

British,huh :oops: Sorry,I'm a little new to the show and somethings I haven't picked up yet.

Thanks
pLANETv33n3ss
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by pLANETv33n3ss »

killjoy wrote:British,huh :oops: Sorry,I'm a little new to the show and somethings I haven't picked up yet.

Thanks
iv been a fan of roswell for 3 years and didnt really pick up that brody's accent was all that different till i read the latest posts about 5 seconds ago... :oops:

ps did his daughter live in Sydney or was that her name??
BlackBetty41
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by BlackBetty41 »

no one picked up on it???? uh well :P

Sydney was her name :wink:

Heavenli24
Obsessed Roswellian

Post by Heavenli24 »

Sorry, I'm coming to intrude on your thread for a moment :) .

Brody was definitely British - the actor who plays him is from London. I know this for sure because I used to watch him in the kids TV show 'Grange Hill' about 15 years ago and he had the same accent then!

It seems weird to me that his accent is confused with Australian because as far as I can tell, the two are nothing alike :lol: .

As far as the equilavent to "Oh I don't give a crap about that!", you could try a 'Like I care' (which I think is a shortened version of 'Do I look like I care?') or 'I don't give a shit', but 'I don't give a crap about that' would probably be okay.
killjoy
Roswell Fanatic

Post by killjoy »

Thanks for all the info and help everyone.

Sadly I don't get to meet hardly anyone from another country where I live. So the only examples I get of accents of people from other countries is by watching tv.

And we all know how truthful and reliable tv is with the truth and facts. :roll: :lol:
Aussie_Dreamer
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by Aussie_Dreamer »

Hey all...

OMG a newbie!!! And some gatecrashers!

Lol. Kidding, guys. Pop in anytime, really.

So. Welcome Chloe. I'm the oldest Aussie on this board, looks like. I'm 21, 22 in November.
Like anyone here, I reckon I'll be into Roswell til my dying day. My parents don't think so (they hope not, cos I talk about it too much when I'm there, though I try not to), but we'll see.
I like Smallville too, you may have noticed. But I was amused by season 3. 'Native American' cave paintings, a healer...there's this whole thing on my yahoo group about it when it showed in the US.

killjoy, I suppose it is hard to pick up the difference betwen a Brit accent and an Aussie one. If you don't really hear either. It's like Canada and the US. We can't tell the difference...well, I can't.

If you want some great Brit phrases - listen to Spike or Giles talk. Especially Spike.

And I don't know about them, but we're fairly ...vocal sometimes. As a stereotype, we get drunk a lot, we swear a lot, we're sports mad...
For me, one out of three ain't bad...I'll leave you guys to guess which one.

Our latest tourist campaign - which was banned in England for this, btw - ends with 'So where the bloody hell are you?'

I like it, but they didn't.

I was noticing the other day they were showing an OC special again, and interviewing everyone after season 1.
When I watch an American show, I think nothing of the accent.
Same with an Australian show.

But when you put an Aussie in an interview with Americans and you hear them talk, it's like, 'do we really sound like that?'
Same with Lost. Emilie and Kimberley (only one of which we really know at all) sound so different...exaggerated, sometimes...next to the others.

Vee, you've been a fan for three years? You only got into it once Fox8 started showing it, didn't you?
I've been a fan (technically) since TV Hits announced its premiere on Nine...almost a year before it actually started. I thought, 'hey, this sounds cool'. Waited semi-patiently for the Pilot, hooked ever since- and I started tracking down the original book series.
I own all the books from both lots, and I'm trying to track down Roswell High books with the original covers.
Did you guys know Liz (Ortecho) is Spanish, Alex (Manes) is Native American and Max is BLONDE?

Weird. I started writing a fanfic ages ago, never finished, though I plan to, set after Book 10. Tying up loose ends, sort of.

Few other things in the works at the moment. Few fanfics, Few originals, and lots and lots of homework.

Gotta go, it's almost 2:30am and I have work in a few hours.

Nicki
I have ADOS. Attention Defici...Ooh, Shiny!

"I always thought Australia was just like England, only with Vegemite instead of Marmite."
"Don't let any of the natives hear you say that. You'll have a riot on your hands."
~ Rose and the Doctor in LJC's fic 'Not a Busman's Holiday'