Gas Prices

Share stuff not relating to Roswell here (that means TV, movies, books, other forms of entertainment, school, work...everything)

Moderators: singerchic4, Forum Moderators

cookiely
Addicted Roswellian

Post by cookiely »

My question is, why do most North Americans still buy SUVs? I own a 1991 Honda Civic hatchback so it's very cheap on gas. I couldn't ever imagine owning a big ass car that sucks up as much gas as SUVs.

:D Perhaps they love to scrub off the remains of the schoolkids they have run over every week.

It's really awful how popular SUV's have become in the last years.

:roll: Like all those people who live in the city really need them.

:? The propblem is that they not only need way to much gas they are also beyond deadly in accidents that involve people.
Lolita
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Lolita »

cookiely wrote: :D Perhaps they love to scrub off the remains of the schoolkids they have run over every week.
:lol: You couldn't imagine the huge number of people I see who drive SUVs who cannot even park their cars. It's beyond humourous to watch these people drive. :roll:

My fiance wants to get himself and H3 which makes me mad. He can't afford gas right now so I don't know how he expects to fill up a tank that big. In his head, he thinks that once we get married we're going to go on all these road trips that would require us to go off-roading or something. :roll: What is it with guys and trucks? I don't get it. Whereas I want to get myself a little Smart car. Currently, they only have the 2-passenger model in Canada. However, when we get the 4-passenger one, you bet I'll be looking into trading in my Civic.
<center>Image</center>
Morning Dreamgirl
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Morning Dreamgirl »

Lolita wrote: My question is, why do most North Americans still buy SUVs? I own a 1991 Honda Civic hatchback so it's very cheap on gas. I couldn't ever imagine owning a big ass car that sucks up as much gas as SUVs.
I've asked a couple of people I know why they still have theirs, and these are the responses that I've gotten:

1. Status
2. Kids (and hauling sports equipment), and
3. "It's like a truck and car combo."

Of course, I have to admit that some of the people I know (and used to know) who owned SUVs, had them because it was what they were given after getting their license.

Other than that, I know that Realtors seem to like to use them because it "Offers the amount of space a mini-van does but is more professional."

If you want any more answers, you'll have to ask someone else! :wink:

Ashley
Lorastar
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Lorastar »

Professional is not something I think of when looking at an SUV. Ridiculous is more along the lines. My sister is a real estate agent and she drives a Chrysler 300 C class or whatever it's called. That's a lot closer to what I would call professional. Not the greatest gas mileage, but whatever.

Lolita, guys are strange when it comes to their cars. No money to spend...except when it comes to their vehicles. Honestly, I can think of much better things to spend money on. Like a savings acount. Hummers seem like such a waste of money to me. Does anyone really have that many kids/stuff to haul around to justify the purchase of one? They get an average of 16-20 miles per gallon.
<center>Image</center>
cookiely
Addicted Roswellian

Post by cookiely »

In his head, he thinks that once we get married we're going to go on all these road trips that would require us to go off-roading or something
:D This reminds me of a guy I used to know who said " Now I own a SUV, now I am going off-roading." :lol: He managed to flip over with his car and now has big scratches on the roof.

What is it with guys and trucks? I don't get it. Whereas I want to get myself a little Smart car. .
*cough* Perhaps they want to *cough* compensate for something

Other than that, I know that Realtors seem to like to use them because it "Offers the amount of space a mini-van does but is more professional."

:? But for what do realtors need so much space? The last time I checked they only sold houses, they didn't have to build them up themselves.

Hummers seem like such a waste of money to me. Does anyone really have that many kids/stuff to haul around to justify the purchase of one? They get an average of 16-20 miles per gallon

:? and Hummers are just so ugly
:? Fortunately you hardly see them in europe. Probably because gas is a bit more expensive here :? and I don't see a Hummer fit into an european parkingspace or through a small lane in southern europe.
Morning Dreamgirl
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Morning Dreamgirl »

cookiely wrote: :? But for what do realtors need so much space? The last time I checked they only sold houses, they didn't have to build them up themselves.
LOL! I have no idea exactly why - except for what I stated earlier. When I worked as a receptionist in a real estate office, that's just what a couple of women were talking about one day. (Shruggs shoulders)

I was perfectly happy with my little car until it was smashed by a nice (that would be sarcasm) big truck! Yet another gas hog! :wink:

My ex had a truck that (at best) would get 18 miles per gallon. The lowest average was 13 mpg and the average was about 15.

I thought it was stupid that he choose it, especially since he was going to start college and have all those bills, but, hey... I'm not dating him anymore! :mrgreen:
Calinia
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Calinia »

cookiely wrote: :? and Hummers are just so ugly
:? Fortunately you hardly see them in europe. Probably because gas is a bit more expensive here :? and I don't see a Hummer fit into an european parkingspace or through a small lane in southern europe.
Ha! Try driving a Hummer in downtown Vienna. You'd get stuck after three minutes tops. And it's true that you don't really see them in Europe. I've only seen one so far, and somehow I doubt that it belonged to someone who was from around here. Don't even get me started on the parking...

When I'm done with school and start working, I'm gonna get myself an Audi A3. Now that's a neat car, and a lot less gas-sucking than those ugly SUVs... :roll:
Tact is for people not witty enough to be sarcastic.
holier than thou | katastrophee
Updated 03/16/07 | Updated 02/10/08
Heavenli24
Obsessed Roswellian

Post by Heavenli24 »

I've seen a few Hummer limos around the UK, but not many normal vehicles - they do look kind of strange on our tiny roads though :lol: !

15 miles per gallon is low. What about 'normal' US cars? I've heard that in general American cars don't do many mpg anyway, I guess because they are bigger. My car (fairly small Nissan) does about 25 mpg, although it's supposed to do 30. I think the better cars here will do up to 35-40 miles per gallon.
Lolita wrote:Whereas I want to get myself a little Smart car. Currently, they only have the 2-passenger model in Canada. However, when we get the 4-passenger one, you bet I'll be looking into trading in my Civic.
My mum is dying for a 2- passenger Smart car! She's decided that our driveway is big enough for all of us to have one each (that's 5 cars) :lol: ! Not that we've ever be able to afford them, but it's nice to dream.
Lorastar
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Lorastar »

Ooh...I like those Hummer limos! We took one to prom when I was in high school. Very nice. And affordable if you cut the cost 8 ways.

It depends on the make, but I think most cars around her get around 25 mpg. The faster or bigger obviously get less, but I think that's pretty average. That's what http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/bymake/bymanuNF.shtml shows for several vehicles.

Big trucks are ridiculous too! Low mpg and they're dangerous! My coworker is this girl who's not even 5 feet tall, and she has a huge raised truck. When she stands by it, she barely comes up to the bottom of the passenger side window. She told me once that in our parking lot, she couldn't even see my car. Which kinda worried me cause I didn't want to be flattened in my little car with those huge tires!
<center>Image</center>
Lorastar
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Lorastar »

My dad sent me this link: http://autos.msn.com/everyday/gasstatio ... =&src=Netx . If you type in your zip code, it shows you what gas station near you is the cheapest.
<center>Image</center>