Favorite Place to Travel?

Share stuff not relating to Roswell here (that means TV, movies, books, other forms of entertainment, school, work...everything)

Moderators: singerchic4, Forum Moderators

Morning Dreamgirl
Addicted Roswellian

Favorite Place to Travel?

Post by Morning Dreamgirl »

I'm located in the US and I'm trying to save up money to travel internationally because it's always been something that I've wanted to do.

I was just wondering if anybody in the US has traveled other countries, and if so which ones? What did you like/dislike about them?

Also for fans who are located in other countries, where have you traveled and what did you like/dislike? What do you like about where you do live?

What are the top places that you would love to travel to? I'm trying to get some general info, so I can figure which places I want to visit.

I know for sure Italy, but I don't know where else.

Although it'll take many, many months (if not a year or so) I'm curious as to what others have experienced and what suggestions they can offer.

Thanks all!

Ashley
lazza
Enthusiastic Roswellian
Location: In the special place where all is right in the world of Roswell...aka Australia

Post by lazza »

Depends what you like to do and what you want to do? Do you want to just travel or work?

If you want to work you have to check out what countries having working visa's available to US citizens (not many as the US wont issue them to anyone else!) and then see if any of them take your fancy.

If you want to just travel what kind to travel? Do you want to settle in one area for a little while and just be at one with nature? Or do you want to be on the go, seeing a new place every few days?

I'm from Australia and I've travelled Australia pretty extensively but I've also done a heap of the US and a little of Canada. I enjoyed all these places, and am saving up for my next trip (I'm always saving for a holiday).

I recommend seeing you're own country first, honestly the number of people I've meet that have travelled the world but haven't been to Brisbane or Hobart is crazy. Or the number of people in the US that have never been to Washington DC or NY is huge.

Europe is really expensive (well it wont be so bad for the US dollar but for the Aussie dollar it's horrible) and travelling in winter can be hard.

Asia is CHEAP and very diverse, I've been to Hong Kong and my sister lives in Beijing so I'm off there soon. Hong Kong is amazing, so go there if you have a chance.

One of my friend is living in Peru right now and says it's the best place nshe's ever been.

Anyway I hope this helps, if you decided on visiting Australia and want more info feel free to PM me or ask on the Australian thread in the other countries forum!!

Enjoy :)
Morning Dreamgirl
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Morning Dreamgirl »

I think that for the most part I would love the freedom to just take a year off from everything and travel. A month here, a couple weeks there, two months in-between... you get the idea.

Alas, I don't have the ability to do that right now.

However, I am hoping that after college is done I'll be able to take some time and just enjoy myself - especially since I didn't get to do that after HS.

I didn't even think of Asia!

I guess that's another place to add to my list!

Ashley
killjoy
Roswell Fanatic

Post by killjoy »

I LOVE anything to do with history. But so far the only history based vacation I've ever done is go to Cozumel,Mexico and while there went to the ancient Mayan ruins. I loved it there. The whole back of the city was on the edge of a cliff that over looked the Gulf of Mexico. It was beautiful.

Now having said that I've always wanted to go to and see these other famous historical sites.

The Great Wall of China, The Coliseum in Rome, riding in a gondola while in Venice (preferably with a beautiful woman),The Leaning Tower of Pisa, Parthenon Ruins In Athens, Greece, The Great Pyrmiads,The Tower of London (plus Big Ben, Crown Jewels and other great sites in England and Ireland) The Sydney Opera House in Australia and many many many more.
Flamehair
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Flamehair »

I have been to the USA (Florida, New York and Boston) and had holidays in spain, in brazil and in thailand and greece. Sure one time a year hubby and I go to germany to see old castles :lol: - like killjoy we love anything that has to do with history. I would love to go to Rome and to Greece again. My favorite country is scotland - this autumn we will visit the orkneys. London is very nice too - one of my favorite towns besides Edinburgh. One day I want to visit Ireland. And next year we'll go maybe to France for Castle-Sightseeing :lol:
Lorastar
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Lorastar »

I'm from California and have done VERY little travel. My one and only vacation out of the state was to Hawaii. Which is beautiful. If you're interested in staying in the US, I would definetely recommend going there. Especially if you go around Thanksgiving. It's amazing there, especially if you stay in a hotel at Waikiki. It's a gorgeous island if you do a drive around, and North Shore has HUGE waves that time of year.
<center>Image</center>
Calinia
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Calinia »

I live in Vienna, Austria, but I've also lived in the US, France and Portugal (Austin, Paris and Lisbon to be more exact). I've come around quite a bit. In the US I've been all over Texas, to New Mexico, Nevada, California, Florida and New York. In Europe I've been to Portugal, Spain, Italy, Croatia, Greece, Turkey (not the European part though, so I guess that counts as an Asian country), France, Hungary, Slovakia, the Czech Republik, Germany and Great Britain.

Basically, I've never been anywhere that I didn't like, but I would definitely recommend coming to Europe if you can. The good thing about Europe is that you have a lot of different countries (and therefore lots of different cultures) really close together, so you can drive 200 miles and end up in a completely different world.

Personal favorites of mine are Paris, Prag, Vienna and Italy (Rome, Florence and Venice are must-sees in my opinion). Paris and Vienna are kind of expensive, but basically living is a lot more expensive in the US than it is in Europe. In any case, you can get a bed in a youth hostel for less than 20 Euros (which is approximately $20) in Vienna, which isn't that expensive if you ask me.

I've also heard that island-hoping in Greece is lots of fun. And Ireland is supposed to be amazingly beautiful.

A friend of mine lived in Sweden for half a year, and she also loved it. Scandinavia tends to be pretty expensive though.

Basically, Europe is great if you like sightseeing and the historical and cultural side of traveling. It has some great landscapes too, but for a really great landscape, I'd go to Australia.

If you like ancient cultures, I'd go to Italy and Greece, but even more so to Egypt or Mexico.
Tact is for people not witty enough to be sarcastic.
holier than thou | katastrophee
Updated 03/16/07 | Updated 02/10/08