Second Chances (UC/Slash, ADULT ) COMPLETED

All finished stories from the Unconventional Couples board, the Crossover board, and the Alien Abyss boards will eventually be moved here. See those forums for descriptions.

Moderators: Anniepoo98, Itzstacie, truelovepooh, Erina, Forum Moderators

magikhands
Obsessed Roswellian
Location: Trapped in my slashy mind with Max, Kyle, and Michael

Second Chances (UC/Slash, ADULT ) COMPLETED

Post by magikhands »

Title: Second Chances
Author: StormyBear30 and magikhands
Author’s Website: http://p206.ezboard.com/bslashygoodness17029
Pairing: Mi/M - Mi/Z
Rating: ADULT - SLASH
Genre: This was a challenge from a member of our board and we decided to write together
Disclaimer: We own nothing Roswell or any related parties
Summary: Michael‘s been abused and when he thinks that life can‘t get any better…he meets Max‘s twin brother Zan.
AN: Some chapters are long some are short since myself and StormyBear are alternating chapters. Also an angsty fic
Warning: This story contains graphic scenes of abuse and violence along with male on male sex. Yes, a favorite character is the bad guy here, if this is not your cup of tea, please do not read. FB is always welcomed, just no harrassing concerning our choice of characters in their roles.

Written by: StormyBear30

Part 1

“Why do you make me do the things that I do to you?” Michael heard his lover of two years scream at him as he stood before the bathroom mirror bloodied and bruised yet again. It was a hard fight…but he eventually got control of the tears that threatened to spill from his eyes as he tried to recall when he life got so fucked up. He remembered a time not so long before where he and Max were happy and in love…but now the fear over powered the love that he once felt for him. He knew that he should just leave…but he found that he didn‘t have the energy to…not after the last time that he had attempted it. That attempt had landed him in the hospital with four broken ribs and a severe concussion. He had told the doctors that he had fallen down the apartment steps while carrying to many groceries…but the truth was that Max had thrown him down them as he had tried to leave.

“I’m sorry baby…” He heard Max whisper behind him after a sob omitted from his lips. “You know I don’t mean to do these things to you…but you make me so angry some times. You know that I love you don‘t you.”

“I know…” Michael replied half heartedly…unable to put up any hint of a fight. “I love you too” He lied…because the truth was that he stopped loving Max nearly a year ago. “I was wrong to make you angry…I’m sorry” He went on…trying to side step out of the hold that Max held upon him…only to give up immediately as he was pulled back into the tiny room.

Again he put up no resistance as Max undressed him…kissing and nipping his way across his bare neck and shoulders. Tears splashed down his face a moment later…only to be carried down the drain of the near scalding shower that Max had forced him under as he fucked him as if there was no tomorrow. The next morning…as was the norm Max acted as if nothing happened…pretending not to see the remnants of angry hands and the beating that followed.

TBC...
Last edited by magikhands on Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:12 am, edited 34 times in total.
Magikhands' Little Roswell Obsessions
Come see my published print and e-books
Visit my website and blog
magikhands
Obsessed Roswellian

Part 2

Post by magikhands »

Written by: magikhands

Chapter 2

Warning: This chapter contains graphic violence and abuse.

Michael leaned against the bathroom sink, his eyes staring at the stranger that looked back at him. He no longer saw the young, ambitious youth he had been two years before. A frightened, nearly broken man stood before the mirror now. As his eyes swept over his face, he took note of all the tiny scars he’d ‘earned’ during his time with Max. The last remnant of his most recent bruise could still be seen on his cheek. That was for burning dinner several nights ago.

Michael ran a hand through his hair and sighed. He never dreamed his life would end up like this. He could still remember the night he met Max. Life had so much potential then. Life was good. It was his second opening for a collection of his recent paintings. He was only 17 and earning a reputation as the newest aspiring artist. He felt on top of the world.

He was immediately drawn to Max Evan’s boyish charm and good looks. His smile melted Michael’s heart and he lavished the attention Michael craved, having grown up with an alcoholic father that ignored him. Max was three years older and the owner of a chain of night clubs. Despite the piercings, Michael was attracted to the man and soon fell in love.

Michael looked at his watch and knew that his time was running out. He grabbed the few things on the counter and continued packing the suitcase that lay open on the bed. That was all he was taking with him. One suitcase to hold his possessions. All the other things were material and could be replaced.

This time he knew that he could leave and not look back. He couldn’t handle the beatings anymore. He didn’t love Max and he realized that he was turning into a man he didn’t want to be. After zipping the suitcase, Michael made sure he had the bus ticket and his new ID his agent Maria had gotten him. She was the only one who knew about what was happening to him but she didn’t know to what extent it had reached. She was helping him get away to a new city, under a new name. He would start fresh…without Max.

Michael knew Max would be furious when he came home to find him gone. His twin brother, Zan, was coming to town and Max had planned for the three of them to go out that night. Michael had originally planned on leaving after Zan left but Maria had called and told him that she had found him an apartment in Chicago along with a job at a museum there but he had to leave today and meet with the owner once he reached the city. So now he was trying to get out before Max could come home.

Michael took the suitcase in hand and headed for the front door. He paused to look around the apartment one last time. When he had moved in, he had a lot of dreams, now, this place was more of a prison and filled with more bad times than good.

The door opened and Michael’s heart stopped and his body froze. Max walked in smiling, a bag of groceries in one hand and a bouquet of flowers in the other. He stopped and his smile fell.

“Michael? What’s going on?” His eyes went to the suitcase that Michael still held.

Michael opened his mouth but the words failed to come.

“Where…are you going Michael?” Max’s voice was low and calm.

Michael knew what it meant when his voice reached that level. Max was angry. He could see in the now cold amber eyes that Max knew exactly what he was doing. Michael took a step back on instinct.

“Max.” Michael whimpered, the guilt of even thinking of leaving all over his face.

Max calmly walked over into the kitchen and laid the bag and flowers on the counter. He was silent but Michael knew that this was just the beginning.

“Were you trying to leave me Michael?” Max asked in surprisingly quiet voice as he walked over to Michael.

Michael knew that he should stand up to Max, tell him that he was finally leaving, that he was tired of all his shit but Michael shook his head.

“No Max. I was just…”

“Liar!” Max yelled as he punched Michael in the face. He turned and walked back into the kitchen.

“You know how much I hate liars Michael.” Max leaned on the counter and stared at his lover. “I’ve given you everything you need. I’ve made sure you wore the right clothing, met the right people, and had the best of everything. And how do you show your gratitude? You try to leave me.”

Max took a deep breath and closed his eyes for a moment. When he opened his eyes, they no longer had the soft glow that was there when Michael had first met Max. Instead the amber was like steel, a look that he had more and more as of late.

Michael stood there silent, not knowing what to say. He knew that no matter what he said, Max would never believe him. He just hoped this would be over with quickly. When he didn’t meet Maria at the bus station in an hour, she would know that something had stopped him from coming.

“You’re seeing someone else aren’t you?”

Michael shook his head. “No Max. I promise, there is no one else.”

“Strip.” Max commanded, his voice harsh.

Michael stood there for a moment and contemplated what to do. His eyes shifted to the door. He could pick up the suitcase and walk out but he just didn’t have the strength to fight anymore. His scars went too deep. Slowly, Michael did as Max wanted. He stripped out of his clothing and stood there and waited. Tears welled up in his eyes but he held them back by closing his eyes. Max didn’t like for him to cry. Michael had learned awhile back that it made the beatings worse.

Max nodded and approached Michael, but with his eyes closed, Michael didn’t see the large knife Max held.

“You’ve been gone a lot lately. You say that you are with Maria but I think you have someone else. Is that why you are trying to leave me?”

Michael squeezed his eyes tighter, trying hard to hold back the tears but expecting the first blow to come. “No…no one.” He sobbed.

“You’re probably meeting him in some cheap, dirty motel and letting him fuck your ass, MY ass. Aren’t you?” Max growled.

“Max…no…please. I’ve been working on my exhibit.”

“Or has he been letting you fuck him?” Max continued as if Michael hadn’t spoke. He raised the knife and laid it against Michael’s cheek, the cold steel making his eyes pop open.

Michael gasped when he realized that Max had a knife, the tip pressed against his skin. “Max…” He begged. He couldn’t shake his head for fear of the tip actually drawing blood. The tears that he’d tried so hard to hold back fell from his eyes along with any hope he had of ever escaping Max’s abuse. Max had never used anything other than his hands on him or an occasional kick. Fear rocked Michael and he didn’t know what to do.

“I should cut the shit out of your face. Maybe then they won’t want you when you beg for their cocks. They’d look at you in disgust.” Max paused and watched as he turned the blade slightly and let the light reflect off the sharp steel. “But then, I wouldn’t want you either.”

Max slid the blade down Michael’s face, neck, and chest until it rested just under Michael’s balls. Max felt an overwhelming sense of power as Michael whimpered while his chest heaved with each pant. He was enjoying watching Michael tremble in fear. Max had thought Michael had learned his lesson the last time he tried to leave. No one left Max Evans.

“Maybe I should show you what happens when you cheat on me. I won't touch your wonderful tight ass or that great mouth but I could make sure you never had another man.” Max raised his other hand and used his fingers to softly caress Michael’s bleeding lip. He could feel each puff of breath as Michael’s breathing quickened even more.

“I never cheated Max. I swear. I’ve had no one but you.” Michael’s voice came out in pleading sobs.

Michael felt the blow to his stomach and bent over. This was followed by several other blows to his body that caused him to fall to his knees, the breath knocked out of him. Before he could recover, Michael’s left arm was yanked back behind his back roughly and he felt the bones give as it broke. Michael screamed in agony.

“You make me do this to you Michael. You provoke me, taunting me, fuck around on me. I treat you like you’re a king and all I get in return is your attitude. You are mine. No one will love you like I do. No one will ever take care of you like I do.” Max used his free hand to brush Michael’s hair from his face as he kisses down the trail of tears.

“Please…stop…It hurts…” Michael beged between sobs of pain.

“Say you are sorry. Say that you’ll never do this again. Tell me that you are mine…always.” Max’s tone finally softens.

Michael shakes his head. The pain from his broken arm and the beating flows through his body. His head is cloudy but he hears Max’s words. Max wants him to apologize. But for what? Michael shakes his head crying. He feels dizzy as the pain intensifies. He knows that he’s close to passing out.

“No.” It came out barely a whisper.

“What?” Max’s tone hardens again.

Somewhere deep inside, Michael heared Maria’s words that she said to him the week before. ‘He’ll end up killing you if you stay with him.’ Michael realized that she was right. Max’s violence has slowly escalated until he’s using weapons. Will death be next?

“No. I hate you.” Michael somehow manages to gasp out between the pain and blood. “I’d rather die than be with you any longer.”

“Death?” Max asks, his anger blazing again. “You want death?” Max picks up the knife that lay on the floor and puts it to Michael’s broken arm that he still held behind his back. He pressed the tip to Michael’s wrist. “Tell me Michael. Do you still think that death is a better option than being with me?”

Michael could only reply by sobbing. He wanted to wake from this nightmare, to be warm and safe in his bed. He could feel the tip of the knife on his wrist and prayed that Max would come to his senses before he passed out.

The anger blinded Max from all common sense. All that he could see was the image of Michael with someone else. He couldn’t have it. He couldn’t have Michael leave him, not for someone else. No one would have his lover. With a flick of the wrist he sliced Michael’s arm and watched as the blood began to flow. It was thick and dark as it ran slowly down his arm. All he heard was a white noise in his head covering Michael’s scream. The red that flowed from Michael’s body mesmerized Max. It’s flow no longer slow but rushing from the cut artery.

Neither heard the door open or the footsteps approaching. But the press of a muzzle to his head and the click of a gun being cocked brought Max out of his daze.

“Drop the knife Maxwell.” A cold voice said over Michael’s cries.

TBC...
magikhands
Obsessed Roswellian

Part 3

Post by magikhands »

Written by: StormyBear

Part 3

The cop in Zan kicked in the moment he entered the home of his brother and lover…finding him kneeling over the man he could only assumed was that lover wielding a knife. He wasn’t thinking of childhood memories and the bond that has always been present between the two identical twins because he was the job…brother or not. He watched as Max knelt before him as if in a trance…not moving…not speaking and it seemed barely breathing as he clutched the knife even tighter within his grip. He could see anger and madness swirling around in eyes that were identical to his own and in a millisecond he knew what he was having to deal with…because he had seen this look of madness in Max’s eyes before. He knew what Max was like when he became like that and even worse he knew what he was capable of as he allowed his mind to wander briefly to another time and another place and how he had ended up standing there in some sort of horrible nightmare of his own.

Flashback…

Growing up Max had always been the more dominate between the two of them. He was the oldest by twenty minutes and yet it was as if that twenty minutes represented years to him. Zan always felt that there was something almost sinister and evil deep within his brother and with each year that passed, it only seemed to grow worse. It all came to a head one night during their Junior year when Max was arrested for nearly murdering his best friend after a night of poker and drinking. Zan still didn’t know all the details of the entire situation…but in the end it amounted to Max beating the shit out of the drunk and unsuspecting kid and then getting off scott free due to the fact that their father was a damn good defense lawyer.

Max was sent away to live with some distant family in another state and as much as Zan loved his brother…he was glad to see him go. They had lost touch after that as he had tried to move on with his life…but he found himself dealing with the stigma of being not only Max’s brother…but his identical twin as well. People took one look at him after that incident and made special attempts to avoid him like the plague. It was as if they expected him to be as sinister and evil as his brother...when in truth he was the complete opposite. He hated the idea of hurting people and only wanted to help where ever he could.

However...in Roswell...thanks to Max...he knew that there wasn't anything that he could do to help anyone...not even himself. He had been relieved and excited when Max had been shipped away…but he was even more relived and excited years later when he blew out of Roswell New Mexico with no intentions of looking back. He went to college…flourished in his studies and four years later received a degree in criminal justice. He knew from the beginning that he wanted to work in law enforcement…so when he learned that they were looking for officers in the big city of New York…he left on the first plane out. He had lost touch with his family for the most part…until years later he got a phone call out of the blue from his brother and from then on the healing from the past had begun.

Max wanted to reconnect with the brother that he had lost touch with…vowing that he was a changed man and wanting to make amends. At first Zan was leery of his brother’s motives…but after many phone calls and promises he finally gave in. The truth was, Zan was looking to leave the big city and moving back to Roswell and the slower paced life was just what he had in mind. He just never expected that the mean and dirty shit that he was trying to leave behind in New York was going to find him in safe and quiet Roswell.

End Flashback

“Drop the knife Maxwell.” He repeated again when Max hadn’t heralded his demand. “Drop the fucking knife…NOW” His cries out louder…pressing the muzzle of the gun further into his brow…finger taunt and ready on the trigger. His entire body was rigid and straight as he prepared himself for the battle he was sure to come and as expected Max didn’t disappoint as he lunged forward…knocking Zan to the ground as the gun when spinning across the hardwood floors.

A hefty fight ensued…Max fueled on anger and madness…Zan on fear and his own sense of madness…a madness to survive and save the man still unmoving and bleeding behind them. He could hear his own cries of pain echo around them as slice after blood letting slice was inflicted upon his skin by the knife wielding Max. His head was woozy…his lungs burning from the adrenaline and fear as he dipped into the last of his strength reserve and with one hell of a final punch…sent Max careening across the floor where he landed completely unconscious.

“911 emergency service…what is your emergency please?” He heard the emergency operator speak across the line after he had dragged himself across the floor towards the phone…dialing the numbers as he bled all over the key pad.

“My name is Officer Alexander Evans of the twenty third precinct of New York. My badge number is one…seven…four…three…three. I need backup and an ambulance now” He spoke heavily into the phone as he slide back across the floor…phone in hand as he went to check on the other man surrounded by his own blood. “I’ve got two men down…one with severe cuts to the his wrist and arm…and a it looks to be broken as well. The suspect is unconscious with no major injuries that I can see at this time.

“Have you sustained any injuries Officer?” The operator asked…sending out the assistance that the Officer had requested.

“I’ve got a few cuts…but we need that bus here pronto” Zan screamed into the phone…reaching for a discarded shirt that he had found on the floor as he applied pressure to the severed artery.

“It’s in route Officer…just keep me on the line until they reach you” She spoke calmly into the phone…but Zan found that he was anything but calm as the former nightmare of his life that he had left behind many years ago came crawling back into his present life and he knew that he was the only one to blame for it because he had trusted in the evilness that was Maxwell Evans.

TBC...
magikhands
Obsessed Roswellian

Part 4

Post by magikhands »

Part 4

Michael groaned and turned his head. His entire body ached, some places more than others. He slowly opened his eyes, one eye really; the other was nearly swollen shut and was blinded by the brightness. He quickly shut it and took a deep breath only to groan again with pain. He took a more shallow breath and recognized the scent that surrounded him. It was clean and sterile. He knew he was in the hospital.

Slowly opening his good eye, Michael managed to adjust to the brightness and turn to his right where he saw a mass of dirty blonde hair laying on the side of the bed. Her face was visible and Michael could see that Maria was sleeping. He had always loved watching her sleep. That was the only time she was calm and not butting into his life.

Michael turned his attention back to his body. He knew he had a black eye and when he licked his dry lips he could feel where it was swollen and split. The tightness of the wrap around his chest told him that he had at least two ribs broken. He looked to the left where the sharpest pain was coming from and found his left arm secured to a splint and from his wrist to the middle of his forearm wrapped tightly. As he looked at the arm he could remember hearing the snap of his arm.

Not wanting to think about what had happened he turned his attention back to Maria. Giving a small grunt he reached out with his right hand and gently ran it through her hair. He loved Maria. She was the one who had talked him into letting her show his work. She knew he would be a success and his first exhibit proved her right. She was his best friend, standing by him through everything. Maria and his artwork were the only things that Max was unable to control. Maria was his confidant while his artwork had been his escape from life.

Maria lifted her head and her eyes went wide. “You’re awake.” Tears filled her eyes and he could hear the joy in her voice. “I didn’t think you’d ever wake.”

“How…” Michael had to stop and swallow but found that his mouth was too dry and coughed making him groan in pain, the cough upsetting his ribs.

Maria reached next to her and got him a cup of water with a straw and held it to his lips. Michael slowly sipped it, thankful for its coolness coating his throat.

“Thank you.” His voice was scratchy but he was able to speak. “How long have I been out of it?”

Maria reached out and brushed the hair from his forehead. “Almost three days.” A tear slipped from her eye.

“I’m sorry.” Michael choked on his words as he fought back the tears. “I tried to…I had my suitcase…but he…he…”

“Ssshhh…I know Sweetie. I know. It’s ok.”

Michael closed his eyes and tried to control the sobs that wanted to wrack his body. He knew that once he started crying, he wouldn’t be able to stop and it would cause him physical pain.

Once he got control of himself again, he opened his eyes. “How bad?”

Maria knew he was asking about his injuries. She wiped her own eyes and tried to keep up a brave front for him. She knew that if she lost it, so would he.

“A black eye, busted lip, two ribs broken, one put pressure on your spleen and they thought it might have punctured it but it just bruised it.” She paused and let her hand caress down his unbruised cheek. “Your left arm is broken in two places and …” She paused but her eyes went to his wrapped forearm.

“He cut the artery didn’t he?” Michael asked softly.

Maria nodded. “They set the breaks in your arm but they can’t cast it until they are sure the cut won’t get infected and is somewhat healed.”

Michael closed his eyes and sighed. This time it was bad. He knew it would be but still he didn’t fight back and it made him angry with himself.

“I almost died, didn’t I?”

“Yes.” Maria’s answer came out in a sob. “The paramedics said five more minutes and you would have bled out.”

“Shit.” Michael whispered. He finally opened his eyes and looked into the tear filled emerald eyes. He swallowed the lump that was stuck in his throat. He didn’t want to ask but he had to know. He didn’t love him but he’s spent that last two years of his life under his thumb. “And Max?”

Maria’s eyes darkened with her rage. “Sitting in a fucking jail cell where he belongs.”

Michael nodded and let out a breath of relief. He was safe for the moment. He reached out and took Maria’s hand.

“Thank you. I couldn’t have woken to a better sight.”

Maria gave her prize-winning smile and bent over to hug him the best she could without causing him more pain. He wrapped his good arm around and squeezed her to him despite the discomfort it caused. He felt blessed to have someone like her in his life. Max had pushed out all his other friends after they got together. But Maria, being his agent, would not allow it and often stood up to Max. Max didn’t like Maria and it often caused fights but Michael never backed down about her being in his life.

They sat in a comfortable silence. Maria’s hand gripping his. She heard the door open and turned to see who was entering. She heard Michael’s gasp and knew exactly what was wrong.

“No…please, get him out.” Michael begged softly as he tried to move further in the bed. The movement caused him to cry out in pain.

“Michael…shhh…it’s ok.” Maria tried to calm him but Michael’s eyes were locked on the person that had entered the room. He was shaking his head as he winced in pain. He was trying hard to shake his hand from Maria’s tight grip.

“Don’t let him hurt me.” Michael whimpered as the scene from that night played over in his mind. He felt the knife slide down his bare skin and the pressure the blade put on his balls. He remembered every hit and the way his arm sounded when it snapped. He could even feel the knife slice through his skin as he relived the nightmare.

“Get out!” Maria turned toward Zan who stood just within the doorway. She was practically on top of Michael with her entire weight to keep him from hurting himself more. When Zan only stepped forward she screamed. “Get the fuck out of here. NOW!”

This seemed to have broken Zan’s trance as he watched Michael’s reaction to him. He slowly nodded and quickly left the room while Maria turned her attention back to Michael.

“Michael. Come on Sweetie. It’s me. He’s not going to hurt you any more.” She spoke soothingly to him. As he finally calmed down she kept talking to him, trying to get through. “It’s ok. He can’t hurt you any longer. I won’t let him. He’s not here. He’s locked away Sweetie.”

“But he was…oh god Maria. That was him. He was just here.” Michael sobbed.

“No.” Maria shook her head and looked at Michael. “That wasn’t Max. That was Zan. Max’s twin brother. He saved your life. He’s the one that stopped Max from killing you.”

“Zan?” Michael asked weakly. He felt so confused. Max never told him that his brother was a twin or that they looked alike. Max never really spoke about his life much.

“Yes. He’s been here as long as I have. He even sat here with you when I went home to change clothes or to get us something to eat. It’s ok.”

Michael gave in to his pain and wept. “I’m sorry. I just thought..” Maria gathered him into her arms the best she could. She knew that it was hurting him but this is what he needed as he clung to her. They sat there in each other’s arms and cried until they could not cry any longer.

TBC...
magikhands
Obsessed Roswellian

Part 5

Post by magikhands »

Part 5

“Maria…” Zan called out to the woman as she exited Michael’s room. “How’s he doing?” He rushed on…truly concerned about the man whom his brother had literally tortured for many years before hand.

“He’s freaked out. What the hell were you thinking when you just barged in there like that. You scared him half to death. He thought you were Max coming back to finish the job” Maria scolded…feeling sorry for Zan and the fact that he was being penalized for being Max’s bother…but more worried about Michael then anything.

“Look…I know you want to talk to him…but I think that it would be best if you just left him alone. He doesn’t need to be reminded of Max every time that he looks at your face. Max has put him through enough hell for a life time in the short time that they were together”

“Look Maria…I know that my brother did horrible things to Michael and I don’t know why this is so important…but I need to see him…need to talk to him. Maybe it’s just to clear my own mind…or maybe it’s to try and make amends for what my asshole twin did” Zan spoke truthfully because he truly didn’t know why it was so important to talk to his brothers former lover…but it was of dire importance. “Please…I just need to know that he’s ok and I need to hear it from his mouth”

“He’s not ok Zan…don’t you get that?” Maria shot back. “He’s never going to be ok. Max made sure to take care of that. He’s forever going to be reminded of the monster that your brother was by the scars that he has inflicted on his body. I think that you should just leave him alone…trust me its for the best. I’m sorry Zan”

Zan watched as Maria walked away from him…noticed the way that her shoulders slumped as if carrying the weight of the world upon them. He knew that only one person was to blame for that and that person was rotting behind bars at the moment and if Zan had anything to do with it…he was going to make it up to Michael and Maria by ensuring that he stayed there. He knew that he had to get in to see Michael and he knew that Maria was not the way to do it. He didn’t know what he was going to do…but he knew that he was going to see Michael soon…no matter what.

It was a few days before he attempted to see Michael…and despite the fact that he knew there could be dire results he went forward anyway. He spent most of the day hanging around the lobby as he waited for Maria to leave. He knew that if she were around that she would hinder his task…and that was something that was not going to happen as far as he was concerned.

As expected she left exactly the same time that she had left the night before and he made his move. With stealth and quietness he peeked in through the tiny window of the door and found Michael laying in his hospital bed…head turned towards the window as if in slumber. He knew that his time was limited as he slowly opened the door and stepped inside…nearly having a heart attack at the loud squeak that followed as he did.

“Maria…I told you I was fine…” Michael said with a grin as he turned to face his friend and confidant…that same smile disappearing as he came face to face with the man who had beaten his body and his soul. “NO…” he cried out in fear…throwing his arms up in fear to cover his already healing face. “Please Max…no” his cries got louder as Max rushed towards him…hands help up before him as if to strike.

“Michael…my name is Zan. I’m not Max…please understand that I just had to see you to make sure that you were ok” Zan tried to speak as quietly as possible as not to spook the wounded man before him…but he found that he was failing miserably.

“What…what do you want?” Michael asked in utter fear…still holding his arms up in defense of what he was sure to come.

“I just wanted to talk to you about what my brother did to you” He replied…cautiously moving forward before sliding into a nearby chair. “I don’t know if Maria or the Doctors told you this but I was the one that found you…the one that saved your life”

“I know…” Michael said with full skepticism…rolling his arms down slowly…but keeping a watchful eye on Max’s twin. “Maria told me”

“I just wanted to make sure that you were ok. Or as ok as can be expected” He corrected with a slight grin…the tension in the room so thick that he felt as if he were suffocating. “I won’t even try to make excuses for what my brother has done to you…but I wanted you to know that I know exactly what you have been through and that if you need anything that I will be there for you”

“You think that you know what I have been through” Michael fired out…not even caring that Zan might react to his actions in a Max like way. “You have no idea the hell that your brother has put me through…the things that he has done to me. You could not fathom the pain and suffering I have received from the man that claimed to love me” Tears poured down Michael’s face as he recalled all the times that Max had hurt him…not only mentally but physically as well.

“I do know what you have been going through…because he put me through the same things when we were growing up” Zan defended…getting upset when he knew that he shouldn’t. “This is a scar that I received when Max threw me through a patio glass door” He went on…standing up as he shoved his arm out towards a quivering Michael. “This…” He went on….lifting up his shirt as he pointed to anther set of scars on his stomach. “Was ten sutures after Max went into a rage and sliced me with a beer bottle and this…” He laid his hand upon his neck…brushing his long hair out of the way to show a long and purple scar. “This is what you get when Max thinks that you are trying to steal his high school boyfriend. He slices your neck open with a butcher knife and then leaves you there to bleed to death. Luckily…one of his friends stopped by and found me in the kitchen or else I would have died. So trust me when I tell you that I know exactly what you are going through”

TBC...
magikhands
Obsessed Roswellian

Part6

Post by magikhands »

Part 6

Michael stared at each and every scar Zan showed him. He heard the words Zan said and knew that they were true. He’d lived the nightmare of Max. Michael knew what Max was capable of. He looked up into the familiar amber eyes and saw that they were glazed with unshed tears. He also saw a compassion that Max never had.

Michael finally lay back in his bed again and let his body relax but his eyes stayed focused on Zan. He gently cradled his left arm that was still splinted. “What do you want from me?”

Zan sat back down in the chair and gave a sigh. “I want to help. I want to make sure that you, I, or anyone else will suffer at Max’s hands again.”

“How?” Michael asked. He saw that Zan was as much of a victim as himself.

“Did Max ever tell you what I do for a living?”

Michael shook his head. “Max never spoke of you until a few weeks ago. He only said that his brother was coming to town for a few days.”

Zan huffed. “Doesn’t surprise me.” Zan stood and paced at the foot of the bed. “I’m a cop. And I’m hoping that it will help me get Max locked behind bars for many years.”

“You do what you have to. I just want Max out of my life forever and start new.”

Zan stopped pacing and looked at Michael. “I’m really sorry Michael. If I’d have known he was dating anyone, let alone living with someone, I would have found a way to warn you…or help you.”

Michael looked down, his eyes starring at the newly scarred arm. “Yeah. Look…I’m tired and need some rest.”

Zan nodded. “If there is anything you need Michael. Anything at all, even if it is to talk, Maria knows how to find me.” When Michael didn’t answer he turned and opened the door.

“Zan.”

Zan stopped and turned. Michael was looking at him now and there were tears in his eyes. “Yeah?”

“Thanks. I mean…for saving me and all. I never did thank you properly.”

Zan gave a slight smile. “No problem.”

Michael’s eyes went back down to his arm. “Listen…in a couple of days they are going to finally cast this and discharge me. Maria has invited me to come and live with her and her boyfriend. They have an extra room.” Michael didn’t know why he was telling Zan this but it just fell from his mouth. “I need time. Time to heal.” Michael looked up and met Zan’s eyes. “Don’t come back here Zan. Don’t come looking for me. When I’m needed for court, I’ll be there but until then…I don’t…I can’t …”

“I understand.” Zan’s voice was laden with sadness. He did understand. He knew that every time Michael looked at him, he saw Max. The man who’d hurt him, almost killed him. It was bad enough that he’d have to face him once the case went to court but to be reminded day after day would hinder his healing.

Zan turned and walked out the door. He didn’t look back when he heard the sob Michael finally let out no matter how badly he wanted to go and comfort him.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Zan walked through the double doors of the Roswell Sheriff’s Office. Deputy Hanson was at the front desk flipping through a magazine. It was late in the evening and all was quiet around Roswell.

Hanson looked up and gave Zan a smile. “Good evening Mr. Evans. Or should I say Deputy Evans?”

Zan couldn’t resist returning the friendly smile. “Just call me Zan, Hanson.”

“Alright Zan.” Hanson closed the magazine and stood straight. “You aren’t to report until the morning, right?”

Zan nodded. “I just wanted to see him before I officially became a deputy.”

Hanson’s smiled faded. “Oh, yeah. Come on then.” He led the way down the empty corridor, their footsteps echoing in the silence. It had been over a week since they locked Max up and this was the first time he’d come to see him. Zan didn’t trust himself with Max; scared he’d do something to jeopardized the case…or kill his brother. But now that he spoke with Michael and knew that he was going to be ok, at least physically, Zan felt that he could control himself long enough to confront his own nightmare.

Hanson unlocked the thick metal door that led to the holding cells. There was only one other person in them, a local drunk.

“Need me to stay?”

“No. I’m good. Just wait outside, I shouldn’t be long.”

The metal clank of the heavy door shutting echoed loudly. Zan couldn’t stop the shiver that ran down his spine at the sound. He would never get used to that sound no matter how long he worked around jails. He walked a few steps past the cell that held the drunk to find Max lying on his back looking up at the ceiling. Zan stood there and watched his brother, neither saying a word.

“So…finally decided that you were good enough to stop by to check on your dear ol brother.” Max finally spoke without diverting his gaze from the ceiling.

“No. I finally calmed down enough so that I don’t kill you.” Zan answered through clenched teeth. He hated how no matter the trouble Max was in he was always sarcastic. It rubbed his nerves wrong like running nails down a chalkboard.

Max moved and rose from the cot. He turned and looked at his brother. “You don’t have the guts Zan. You’ve always been a weakling. Never taking what you want, just letting people stomp all over you.”

Zan looked at Max without expression. “And that really got you places, didn’t it?”

Max smirked at Zan. “Just wait. I won’t be in here for long. Dad will come and get me out.”

Zan took a step toward the bars. Now it was his turn to smile. “I don’t think so big brother. He says that it’s time you fend for yourself.” Zan turned and headed for the door. “Have a nice life Max.”

“What? No!” Max yelled gripping the bars. “Dad is coming. Just wait and see. He won’t let me stay in here for long.”

Zan knocked on the metal door and stepped through ignoring Max’s yells and curses. They abruptly stopped once the door slammed shut again. He closed his eyes and let out a sigh but he didn’t know if it was one of grief or relief.

“You ok?” Hanson asked.

Zan opened his eyes and looked at the deputy. “Yeah. I’ll be fine.” He said hoping to convince himself. He started down the hall not waiting for Hanson this time. He was tired and knew that he needed to get some sleep before returning to report to duty.

Zan pushed open the front door and nearly smacked an older man with it.

“Oh, sh…um…I’m sorry sir.” Zan started apologizing as he reached out to help steady the man before he fell back down the steps. The man wore a denim shirt and jeans, very laid back, along with a tan cowboy hat.

The man righted himself and looked at Zan. “It’s alright son.” He held his hand out. “You must be Alexander Evans.”

Zan took his hand but gave him a bit of a confused look. “Do I know you?”

“I hope so since you'll be working for me starting tomorrow. I’m Sheriff Jim Valenti.”

Zan felt a blush creep up in his cheeks. He realized he’d just about knocked his new boss flat on his ass. “It’s a pleasure to meet you Sir. Please call me Zan. And I’m really sorry about barreling out like that. I didn’t expect anyone out this late.”

“It’s ok Zan. I’m sorry I haven’t been able to meet you sooner. My son and I had taken a vacation out to our cabin out at Diamond Point. Hanson filled me in earlier on what happened and I’m really sorry about your brother.”

Zan almost told Valenti not to bother but he held his tongue. He mumbled a ‘Thank you.’ And let it lie. He looked at the older man and could have sworn that he heard a bit of bitter tone to his voice but he’d just met him so he wasn’t sure if that was it or not.

“If you need some more time off to deal with…”

“No Sir. I’m more than ready to start my shift tomorrow afternoon.”

“Alright. I’ll see you at two then Zan.”

“Yes Sir. Have a good night.” Zan said as he continued his way down the steps. He didn’t see that way Valenti watched him or his blue eyes darken with suspicion.

TBC...
magikhands
Obsessed Roswellian

Chapter 7

Post by magikhands »

Chapter 7

“I just don’t know why you hired him on here after the shit that his brother…twin brother no less has done to Michael." Kyle Valenti cried out in anger and upset as he paced before his father…the sheriff of Roswell’s desk. “I mean for all we know he could be exactly like him in demeanor as well as looks. What were you thinking when you brought someone like that back into our town. Don‘t you remember what they were like when I was in high school with them?”

“Kyle sit down…” The older Valenti said…indicating towards a chair located in front of his desk.

"I don’t want to sit” Kyle turned towards his father…sitting still for only a moment before he began to pace once again. “I just want to know what you are going to do about this Zan person and besides what kind of a name is Zan…it sounds so punkish”

“Aside from the fact that I am your father…you are now on duty and I am your boss…so that means that you do as I say either way and I said sit down Kyle…NOW” Valenti yelled…red in the face as he tried to control his own anger.

Kyle knew he had pushed his father and boss too far as he fell heavily into the seat and waited for him to speak. “Now if you will let me speak before interrupting me…” He heard his father say…keeping his mouth shut as he waited for him to continue. “Zan was brought onto this force because he has an exemplary record at his previous district. He is known for his bravery and dedication and I am sure that I know why” Kyle didn’t know what he father was trying to get at and as much as he wanted to argue with him…his trap remained shut.

“You seem to forget that when you all were younger…it was Max and not Zan that was always in trouble. Poor Zan was constantly blamed and pegged a trouble maker because of his brother. You also seem to forget that Zan has also suffered at the hands of his brother just like Michael is right now. Don’t you remember that he too was in the hospital near death after Max sliced his neck with a butcher knife. Now honestly…I have no idea why he wanted to come back to Roswell with Max still living here…but thank god for Michael that he did. He’s your partner now Kyle…get used to it. Keep and eye on him and report any thing suspicious to me immediately. Do you understand me?”

“I understand…” Kyle responded…standing up…only to fall back down as none other then Zan Evans entered the tiny office.

“Sheriff Valenti…Kyle” Zan nodded at the two men as they each sat gawking at him as he stood in front of them. “I ran into Hanson on my way in and he told me that I could find you here”

“That’s officer Valenti to you” Kyle growled jerking his eyes back towards his father before lifting an eye brow in irritation.

“Right…sorry…didn’t realize that you were all so formal down here” Zan apologized…feeling quite uncomfortable in the small room as the two men looked up at him as if he were the antichrist himself. “So…um…I’m here and ready to begin work whenever you are”

“Excellent…have a seat Zan” Valenti spoke as he searched for Zan’s file. “Seems that you remember Kyle…so lets get started shall we. He’s going to be your new partner…gonna show you the ropes if you will since I know that small town Roswell is nothing like the big apple”

“That’s what I am hoping for sir” Zan smiled at the older man…the smile disappearing from his face as he looked at his new partner and was met with pure and unyielding looks of hate.

TBC...
magikhands
Obsessed Roswellian

Part 8

Post by magikhands »

Part 8

Michael heard Maria enter his room and forced the smile to his face as he turned from the window to greet her.

“Great news.” She said plopping down on the bed. “The Doctor said he’s releasing you by tomorrow night. They will cast your arm in the morning and then after it sets and all the paperwork is done, you can come home.”

“That’s great Maria.” Michael reached out and took her hand in his good one. “Does Kyle know he’s getting a roommate this soon?” Michael gave her a genuine smile at the thought of leaving the hospital.

“Yep. In fact we are going tonight to get the rest of your things and take over to our house. So everything will be ready for you when you get home. Also, I’ve had that other room cleaned out so it can be your workroom. We’ll put all your painting supplies in there and when you feel up to it, you can organize it the way you want.”

“Thank you Maria. Thank you for everything you’re doing for me.”

Maria bent forward and kissed Michael. “What are friends for? Listen, I’ve got an appointment in thirty minutes so I’ve got to run. I’ll be in later, OK?”

Michael watched her get up and walk to the door. “I’ll be here.”

The door closed behind her and silence filled the room again. He turned to the window, the smile fading from his lips. He gazed out at the treetops but his thoughts slid somewhere else. His mind pictured the thick scar on a neck and how it happened. He thought of amber eyes, not the ones full of rage and disgust…but the ones he saw filled with a kindred sadness. He thought of the man the scar and eyes belonged to and how much he had suffered in his lifetime. Michael wondered how he had survived it, how he woke everyday and kept going.

Michael sighed and closed his eyes. He had told him not to return. He had thanked him for saving his life and now it was time to heal. But Michael couldn’t get thoughts of Zan out of his head.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Zan’s first day on duty as a deputy for the Roswell Sheriff’s Office was fairly quiet. Kyle drove the SUV that they were going to share for the time being. Another was due to come in at the end of the month and Sheriff Valenti had told Zan he could have it when they received it.

Kyle drove around town, letting Zan get reacquainted with the town he’d grown up in. Kyle spoke little except when he had to. They answered a few minor calls but nothing very exciting was happening that day.

“You don’t like me very much, do you?” Zan asked finally when they sat on the side of the highway watching for speeders. Zan had not been ignorant to the tone Kyle had used since he walked in that morning. He knew when someone didn’t like him. Being in the big city had taught him a lot on how to read people and their body language.

“I don’t know you.” Kyle said, his tone not sounding as nonchalant as he wanted. Every time he looked at Zan, he found himself thinking of Michael and all the injuries he’d suffered at Max’s hands.

“No, but you know Max and that’s who you are seeing when you look at me. Am I right?”

Zan and Max had gone to school with Kyle but Zan never associated with him. They had run in different circles. Kyle was a jock and hung out with jocks. Max had played football for a couple of years but he had gotten thrown off the team for being…too aggressive. Zan was actually a little surprised to find Kyle following in his father’s footsteps instead of going off to become a professional athlete.

Kyle said nothing as a car passed. He saw the radar register the vehicle going twenty miles over the speed limit. Kyle flipped on the siren and lights and pulled out. Zan saw that he wasn’t going to get an answer so he turned and concentrated on the car they were in pursuit of. When it slid over to the shoulder, Zan called it in, giving their location and the tag number before he got out and approached the vehicle with Kyle. Though his mind was on the job at hand as he surveyed the backseat of the vehicle on the passenger side, Zan knew that if this dislike from Kyle continued his job would be more trying than he ever experienced.

TBC...
magikhands
Obsessed Roswellian

Part 9

Post by magikhands »

Part 9

It all happened like such a blur that Zan still didn’t know what the hell happened as he lay on a gurney in the back of a ambulance. He remembered questioning Kyle about his dislike of him due to his brother. He also remembered assisting his partner as they pulled over a speeder…but after that it all seemed kind of hazy. Closing his eyes he tried to recall what happened…only to give up quickly as the pounding in his head continued.

“Can you hear me officer?” He heard someone speak out to him…but he couldn’t open his eyes because of the pain that was blinding him. “Officer…can you hear me?” He heard again but that was all he heard as the world around him went black.

“What the fuck happened?” Kyle heard his father question angrily as they stood outside of the emergency room entrance…waiting for any word on Zan’s condition. “Jesus Christ…it’s his first day here and already he’s been injured. I want answers Kyle and I want them now”

“He saved my life” Kyle answered shakily as he looked up at the man that was his father and his commander. “We pulled over this scumbag for speeding. I was trying to get his information…but I was distracted. He took that opportunity to reached for a gun…but before he had a chance to shoot me…Zan pushed me out of the way and took the bullet meant for me. I could have died tonight because I was pissed off at him for something that is out of his control. All I kept thinking about was Michael and what Max did to him…and because of it I slipped up and not only let my guard down…but I endangered his life because of it as well” Kyle could feel the tears pouring down his face as he launched into his fathers arms. They were tears of fear and also tears of relief that it wasn’t him laying in the emergency room with a bullet lodged in him.

“It’s ok son…at least you weren’t hurt” The elder Valenti soothed…fighting his own bout with tears at how close he could have come to losing his son. “Zan’s going to be fine. He’s a trooper” He tried to assure not only himself but his son. “Hell…he worked the mean streets of New York…this is just a walk in the park for him I am sure” He chuckled…but it fell short as Kyle continued to cling to his chest as if for dear life.

“Kyle…Kyle…” Maria cried in full panic and loud enough to wake the dead as she ran across the parking lot with a winded Michael in tow. “OMG…OMG…are you ok?” She searched for any signs of her lover being hurt and when she found none then she really let him have it. “You fucking jerk…what the hell were you thinking trying to scare me like that” She yelled at him before wrapping her slender frame around his bulkier one. “Michael and I were at home and we heard the scanner go off and then they were saying Officer down and…”

“Jesus Maria…breath” Kyle cut her off…pulling her even tighter into his arms in hopes of warding off the chills that were invading his body.

They all stay in thoughtful silence until Michael’s concern got the best of him and he was the first to break it. “What about Zan?”

TBC...
magikhands
Obsessed Roswellian

Part 10

Post by magikhands »

Part 10

Zan slowly opened his eyes only to shut them quickly as the blinding light bombarded him. He turned his head and groaned at the pain the movement caused. His head pounded and his shoulder hurt like hell.

“This will be better.” A voice said softly.

Zan tried opening his eyes again and found the lights off with just the bathroom’s dim light shining into the room. It was easier so he could open his eyes fully.

“What happened?” Zan’s voice was scratchy and dry. He still didn’t know who it was in his room. He thought maybe a nurse.

“You were shot during a traffic stop.” The voice drew closer and the dark figure roaming the room came into view. He watched as the man with a slight limp and an arm in a sling come to the little table by the bed and pick up the cup with a straw sticking out of it. He held it to Zan’s lips. “Here, this will help.”

Zan placed his lips around the tip of the straw and sucked, his eyes never leaving Michael. When he was done Michael put it back on the table.

“What are you doing here Michael? How did you know?”

“Maria took me home earlier and while we were cooking dinner we heard on the scanner that an officer was down.” He looked toward the door. He was beginning to feel uncomfortable being there with Zan alone. It was still too soon. “Valenti should be back, he just went to get some coffee.” He said then was silent settled in the room.

As Zan slept, Michael had taken the time to study him. He looked so much like Max did but even asleep Michael could see a difference between the two. While Max was always at ease and relaxed during sleep, nothing he did seeming to bother him, Michael could see that Zan could not seem to let go, even in a trauma induced deep sleep. Zan’s brow frowned slightly and he was restless as if he was having bad dreams but in too deep of a sleep to physically wake himself. Michael wondered if Zan saw the things Max did when he slept as he did.

Zan could see Michael’s discomfort grow the longer the silence settled over them. “Listen Michael…you don’t have to stay. Go on home and get some rest. You just left here, you don’t need to be here any longer. I’ll be fine.”

Zan used his good arm to try and sit up but ended up crying out in pain and falling back against the pillows. Michael rushed forward and used his good arm to help Zan get settled easier.

“Thanks.” Zan said looking up at Michael.

Michael, realizing his closeness to Zan immediately backed off. “No problem. I understand what you are going through.” Michael lifted his own slinged arm ignoring how Zan’s scent seemed to have filled his nostrils.

“Listen Michael…” But before Zan could say any more his room door flung open and Kyle walked in.

“I see you’re still alive.” Kyle walked over to Zan’s bed. Out of the corner of his eye Kyle saw the way Michael backed away from the bed. He caught himself from scowling at Zan for the way he was affecting his friend. He hadn’t wanted to leave Michael in here alone with Zan but Maria and his father had pulled him out to do his report while Michael insisted he would be fine. Now he had to wonder what happened in their absence.

“Maria is outside ready to take you home.” Kyle said to Michael who just nodded and left the room. Kyle turned and looked at Zan who was intensely studying the wound to his left shoulder.

TBC...