Dialogue That Makes You Cringe

This forum is for all general Roswell stuff. That means, general book and show discussion.

Moderators: Anniepoo98, ISLANDGIRL5, Forum Moderators

AngelicFairy
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by AngelicFairy »

MARIA: Did you hear?

MICHAEL: The Max-Liz thing, with the flashes? She's your friend. What do you think?

MARIA: That Max and Liz have discovered some new sensation? It seems somewhat unlikely.

MICHAEL: Extremely unlikely.
Actually, I didn't mind this one at all and I can no way see how how M&M were jealous. In Michael's mind, M/L hadn't discovered a new sensation because he was actually getting flashes from Maria.

I agree about the second quote though.
Max never said that it was alright that either] one of them was hurt. Liz was the one who said that Max must think it was okay for Sean to be hurt. That shows a real lack of knowledge of the guy that she's supposed to love, and absolutely no understanding of his motivation. She thought the worst of him. I didn't like her after that.
I always feel really bad for Max watching that scene, no matter what choice he made he couldn't really win either way. :(
~*Sonia E.*~

Post by ~*Sonia E.*~ »

DreamKeeper wrote:Max never said that it was alright that either one of them was hurt. Liz was the one who said that Max must think it was okay for Sean to be hurt. That shows a real lack of knowledge of the guy that she's supposed to love, and absolutely no understanding of his motivation. She thought the worst of him, and she said it. I didn't like her after that.
I hear ya, but how did you feel about Liz after CYN?!! Liz told Max that he was responsible for Alex's death because Max didn't want to think that an alien killed Alex. You must have wished Liz a thousand deaths and found that Max was better off with his own kind or someone else.
Chrisken
Obsessed Roswellian

Post by Chrisken »

~*Sonia E.*~ wrote: I hear ya, but how did you feel about Liz after CYN?!! Liz told Max that he was responsible for Alex's death because Max didn't want to think that an alien killed Alex. You must have wished Liz a thousand deaths and found that Max was better off with his own kind or someone else.
I'll just throw in that I interpreted this line very differently, more along the lines of "You don't want to consider the idea that an alien might have killed Alex, because you tend to take responsibility that anything any alien ever does."

She didn't think that he was responsible for Alex's death. She didn't think he could have prevented it. Liz was just frustrated, (and a little justifiably,) because Max's hangups were getting in the way of her quest to find out what really happened.

Of course, she could have phrased it better, but it was an argument - you don't always say things the right way in an argument. And so, no, the line doesn't make me cringe. Does that make sense??
Read my other roswell stories!

"A man does not make his destiny: he accepts it or denies it. If the Rowan tree's roots are shallow, it bears no crown." From 'the farthest shore', Ursula LeGuin.

cookiely
Addicted Roswellian

Post by cookiely »

First, there is the idea that Max should heal Sean and reveal himself to a guy who hates him.

Well and Max and kyle were best buddies

And, even if Liz got him to agree not to reveal Max's secret for the moment, this is a secret that Sean would be privy to for the rest of his life. It was information that he could use anytime he wanted. And it's not like any great regard for Max, or a whole lot in the way of personal scruples, were going to hold him back.

Do you really think that anyone would believe him. At that time there wasn't any special unit anymore. And as you said he is a juvie, if he said anything he would propably be accused of drug abbuse and risk his propabation.

And its not like Sean wasn't vulnerable to blackmail. He was on probation watch if Max and the others accused him of something and planted evidence he would have gone straight back to jail.

Yet Liz is clear that she thinks it's all Max's fault that Sean got stabbed. To listen to Liz, she believes that Max is completely okay with Sean getting hurt, and might even be glad it happened. She totally crushed Max. Again.

Well he is the reason that Sean got stabbed. If Max hadn't warned Brody Sean would have propably overpowered him. Brody might have been innocent but that doesn't chande the fact that he was mentally unstable and threatened everyone with a gun and even shot on Isabel and Michael.

Aside from that Sean didn't know the cause of Brody's mental illness.
For him he was just the regular madman. Would it have been fair if Sean had died because he tried to overpower an armend madman when he got the chance but failed to do so because of Max intervention. Sean wasn't the aggressor in this whole thing he just tried to play the hero.

He had no idea that Brody was going to stab the kid! He didn't say it was okay at all and I'm sure he didn't think that, either. He could only act on what he was seeing.

Well but he did know that the suprise effect was vital for Seans attack and that Brody/Larek wouldn't be happy about beeing attacked and propably hurt Sean for trying

Liz was the one who said that Max must think it was okay for Sean to be hurt

Well the thing is that Max did make an judgement when he decided to warn Brody. He did put Sean at an disadvantage by warning Brody and therefore chose Brody over Sean.
~*Sonia E.*~

Post by ~*Sonia E.*~ »

Chrisken wrote:I'll just throw in that I interpreted this line very differently, more along the lines of "You don't want to consider the idea that an alien might have killed Alex, because you tend to take responsibility that anything any alien ever does."

She didn't think that he was responsible for Alex's death. She didn't think he could have prevented it. Liz was just frustrated, (and a little justifiably,) because Max's hangups were getting in the way of her quest to find out what really happened.

Of course, she could have phrased it better, but it was an argument - you don't always say things the right way in an argument. And so, no, the line doesn't make me cringe. Does that make sense??
Yes it makes absolute sense to me, and Liz's line to Max never made me cringe either. Liz even told Max in Departure that she never blamed him or any of them.

I just bought it up because it seems that each and every little thing that Liz or Max said or did seemed to be taken to heart and held against them. I love both characters and they were not perfect or saints and neither were any other characters on Roswell. :wink:
DreamKeeper
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by DreamKeeper »

My problem is that Liz believed the worst of him.

Max saw Sean go after Brody with a knife. Max didn't want anyone to get hurt. I would have had some respect for Liz if she would have told Max that she understood why he did it. When he tried to explain to her that he just didn't want Brody to be hurt because he's a good man and what was happening to him wasn't his fault, Liz jumped all over him with her "so it's okay for Sean to get hurt?"

And she loves him.

Sean was juvie, and hardly a choirboy. Kyle, for all that he didn't care for Max, was more of a standup guy, plus he had his father to keep him in line. There are more people to reveal the secret to than just the special unit. There's military and all those alien hunting freaks who come to Roswell every year. Max was almost killed by Hubble, because Larry Trilling stood up in the middle of the convention and blabbed about how Max was suspicious. Was Hubble the *only* bonafide alien hunter in the world?

Keeping on topic about dialogue that makes me cringe, there's this:

LIZ I mean I saw you with Tess.

MAX Saw me what with Tess?

LIZ I saw you with her. I came by your house yesterday to talk to you about something and you were with her.

MAX We were just trying to find out things about where I came from, that's all.

LIZ I know, I know, I mean, you know, you keep saying that. but you um, keep on leaving out this really pertinent fact. That you were married to her. I feel like my whole life for the past year has been waiting for some really bad news. Oh, you know, by the way Liz, I remember Tess, and I love her. It's really paralyzing.

MAX I know it's not easy.

LIZ No, Max, it can be. It can be really, really easy. You know, we both just stop pretending.

MAX What do you mean?

LIZ You know, maybe we're both just holding on to something that'll never be. Max, maybe we should just let go. I have been in so much pain. This whole year. and it's like I'm suffocating.

Liz tells Max before Prom that she's had her dress for a year, and she always thought she'd go with him. He follows her lead and says that they could still go together. Liz lets Max know that it's as friends, nothing else, and it will be fun.

And there, on the dance foor when he's holding her in his arms for the first time since Vegas, she decides that this is where she has to tell him all this. What, there was no other less horrible place and time to tell him that? Was she looking for reassurance? If so, why tell him that she's been in pain and suffocating for a whole year because of him, i.e. you're ruining my life? Why not just say "I saw you with Tess, and I'm worried."
maxandliz4ever1357
Obsessed Roswellian
Location: Backpacking through Europe (ok so I'm not, but I wish I were)

Post by maxandliz4ever1357 »

Well and Max and kyle were best buddies
Ah, but we never got to see what Max would have actually done. It's one in his defense to say that he didn't like Sean, but I bet he would have healed him anyway. Come to think of it, what happened to the stab wound? Max didn't heal it, so did it just disappear when Liz agreed to go on a date with Sean? Or was it not as bad as they thought, even though he was lying on the floor, dying, after it had happened?

I'll just throw in that I interpreted this line very differently, more along the lines of "You don't want to consider the idea that an alien might have killed Alex, because you tend to take responsibility that anything any alien ever does."
I definitely agree with that. I don't think she was blaming him. I think she was saying that he'd blame himself, which is why he didn't want to know. I think she did say that later on. She was pointing out that Max would feel responsible.

You know, it sucks to be Max. It's always Max's fault, no matter the circumstances. :roll:
<center> I was terrified and would you mind if I sat next to you and watched you smile? </center>
~*Sonia E.*~

Post by ~*Sonia E.*~ »

maxandliz4ever1357 wrote:You know, it always sucks to be Max. It's always Max's fault, no matter the circumstances. :roll:
I think it sucked to be Liz too. Hell, it sucked to be Max and Liz, but I still love them both anyway; faults, flaws, mistakes, and all. And I wouldn't have enjoyed Roswell at all without them. :wink:
maxandliz4ever1357
Obsessed Roswellian
Location: Backpacking through Europe (ok so I'm not, but I wish I were)

Post by maxandliz4ever1357 »

I think it sucked to be Liz too. Hell, it sucked to be Max and Liz, but I still love them both anyway; faults, flaws, mistakes, and all. And I wouldn't have enjoyed Roswell at all without them.
You know, that's true. There's always someone out there willing to pick apart their actions and blame everything on either one. Not saying they don't deserve to be picked apart, or to be blamed, but they're human. Er, well... you know what I mean. :wink:
<center> I was terrified and would you mind if I sat next to you and watched you smile? </center>
~*Sonia E.*~

Post by ~*Sonia E.*~ »

maxandliz4ever1357 wrote:You know, that's true. There's always someone out there willing to pick apart their actions and blame everything on either one. Not saying they don't deserve to be picked apart, or to be blamed, but they're human. Er, well... you know what I mean. :wink:

Yeah, they were human and made mistakes. Well, Max was half-human and a sexy one at that. :wink: I don't mind anyone picking apart, or blaming Max and Liz for any and everything under the sun because it's their right. It was Max and Liz's relationship and if they still loved and forgave each other after all the blame, guilt, and mistakes; then that's all that mattered to me. :D