When the heck IS Max's birthday anyway? The Roscanon thread

Have a challenge you'd like to see written? Have an idea that just won't get out of your head? Want to talk anything and everything fanfic or writer related? This is the place.

Moderators: ISLANDGIRL5, Forum Moderators

Chrisken
Obsessed Roswellian

Post by Chrisken »

Shinigami wrote:1. IIRC, there were three races: Antarians, shapeshifters, and the Skins.

2. The pentagon device was some sort of weapon that releases a shcckwave with two effects: Disabling Antarian powers, and a physical shockwave that only affects those with Antarian DNA.
Me??

Well, I'm not sure how much help I'll be, but I think on both of those subjects (races on Antar and the pentagon devices,) canon is sufficiently muddled that you can get away with a lot on your own. A few notes.

- Regardless of how many races there were on Antar, 'skins' are not properly one of them. It seems pretty clear that 'skins' is a reference to individuals who are using a husk to function in a hostile environment, such as Earth's atmosphere. There is some evidence that all the Skins we have seen on Earth happen to be from another race, not the same Antarian species as the royal four used to be. Maybe the 'Antarians' can't even use husks. But it isn't appropriate to describe Courtney and Nicholas' species as the skins, because their family back home may have never used husks. (What the heck you do call them I don't know, LOL.)

- It isn't clear how many settings there are on the pentagon devices, except based on the design it seems possible and elegant for there to be five different states that they can be set to. (One for each side of the pentagon, for each alien character or symbol.) As well as the shockwave and the power drain, I usually postulate a totally passive 'off' setting and a 'tracking' function, (as seen at the end of 'destiny.') What the fifth state is would be less obvious.

Hope that this helps!
Read my other roswell stories!

"A man does not make his destiny: he accepts it or denies it. If the Rowan tree's roots are shallow, it bears no crown." From 'the farthest shore', Ursula LeGuin.

Chrisken
Obsessed Roswellian

Post by Chrisken »

tequathisy wrote:I was re-watching my season 1 dvd last night. (I fell in love with Roswell all over again) and something strange struck me that I've never noticed before. In the opening scene of the Pilot Liz clearly says "it's September 23rd and five days ago I di ed". But at the end she says "it's September 24th and five days ago I di ed" I checked the subtitles so I wasn't imaganing it.

So which is it?
The mind boggles. Just flip a coin and pick one. :wink:

I can't really make it come out to five days either, unless Liz is writing the journal entry days after the Crash festival. Either that, or maybe the montage of Liz struggling with what she learned about Max after he connected with her took a REALLY long time. :lol:

"A man does not make his destiny: he accepts it or denies it. If the Rowan tree's roots are shallow, it bears no crown." From 'the farthest shore', Ursula LeGuin.

maxandliz4ever1357
Obsessed Roswellian
Location: Backpacking through Europe (ok so I'm not, but I wish I were)

Post by maxandliz4ever1357 »

Who knows, maybe it was after midnight when she finished writing. Or maybe THAT particular entry was made on the day of the crash festival, and she started writing a day before...

You'd think they would have caught a mistake like that.
<center> I was terrified and would you mind if I sat next to you and watched you smile? </center>
Chrisken
Obsessed Roswellian

Post by Chrisken »

LysCat wrote:Who was the teacher that was talking about the star that died. It was during the episode of Meet The Dupes. It was the first scene that was based in Roswell. After class Liz ran after Max talking about it. Is it ringing any bells?
According to the guest star rolls at IMDB, I think that teacher was Mister Seligman. played by Michael Chieffo -- he showed up in seven episodes in all three seasons, including 'sexual healing' :)

Roswell4ever1
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Roswell4ever1 »

Question. On Summer of 47, the two aliens that were protecting the pods. Were they the protectors, like Nacedo? Did they ever say?
maxandliz4ever1357
Obsessed Roswellian
Location: Backpacking through Europe (ok so I'm not, but I wish I were)

Post by maxandliz4ever1357 »

Hmm, I don't think they ever said. I think they were just aliens on the ship that tried to protect the pods. And since I'm pretty sure they were in an FBI facility, we were supposed to assume that the aliens died.

I haven't seen the ep in a long time though (sadly, I don't own the DVD's for season two :cry: ) and I might be wrong. This is going from memory.
<center> I was terrified and would you mind if I sat next to you and watched you smile? </center>
Chrisken
Obsessed Roswellian

Post by Chrisken »

maxandliz4ever1357 wrote:Hmm, I don't think they ever said. I think they were just aliens on the ship that tried to protect the pods. And since I'm pretty sure they were in an FBI facility, we were supposed to assume that the aliens died.

I haven't seen the ep in a long time though (sadly, I don't own the DVD's for season two :cry: ) and I might be wrong. This is going from memory.
Well, it's not clear, but I always assumed that they were supposed to be two surviving protectors... Ed Harding and Kal Langley. For one thing, although the aliens were in the air force base or wherever, so were the pod sacs... the pod sacs that presumably became the Roswell and New York hybrids. Hal Carver essentially let them escape, taking the sacs to safe hiding places.

Of course, this doesn't add up with Agent Pierce's accounting of the aliens from the crash, but Roswell being inconsistent is nothing new.

lizard_queen
Addicted Roswellian

Post by lizard_queen »

I remember them mentioning something about having two of the protectors from the ship in captivity -> enter Nasedo and his hate for Peirce, therefore giving us the impression that he was the one that the FBI had, but then he escaped. I think i also remember something about the other protector dying in captivity? Or maybe thats just all the fan fiction i've read?

Eh, i probably just confused you more. Sorry.
:D Ki-ki :D

My Stuff

Roswell4ever1
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Roswell4ever1 »

No you didn't. See, I was thinking they were protectors also and that they had to have gotten out, or at least one of them, to be able to move the pods. I mean how else would the podsquad's pods ended up in the pod chamber and the dupes end up in New York? :?
Chrisken
Obsessed Roswellian

Post by Chrisken »

lizard_queen wrote:I remember them mentioning something about having two of the protectors from the ship in captivity -> enter Nasedo and his hate for Peirce, therefore giving us the impression that he was the one that the FBI had, but then he escaped. I think i also remember something about the other protector dying in captivity? Or maybe thats just all the fan fiction i've read?

Eh, i probably just confused you more. Sorry.
Yes, Pierce mentioned that four aliens had been recovered in 'the white room', two dead, two alive... that one of the live ones had escaped, (which he connected to 'Nasedo' who he'd heard them talking about on the surveillance footage,) and that one had been held in captivity and experimented on for years.

Not sure if the point about Ed Harding having a hate on for the special unit leaders and him having been captive briefly was ever made explicitly on the show. He always seemed to present himself as beyond emotion, persecuting the special unit because it was a necessity. (shrugs.)

And, as I said earlier, Pierce's counting doesn't seem to agree with the narration of 'summer of 47' or with the fact that Kal Langley was also kickin around. Go figure. (Unless Kal Langley was the only real protector who escaped, and Ed Harding was a fake who arrived later. ;) )