Love is Like a Cabbage (AU,MATURE,A/I) (COMPLETE)

This is the gallery for the winners of the fanfic awards to show off their fics, and their banners!

Moderators: Itzstacie, Forum Moderators

Applebylicious
Addicted Roswellian

Love is Like a Cabbage (AU,MATURE,A/I) (COMPLETE)

Post by Applebylicious »

Winner Round 14

Love is Like a Cabbage
Author: Lindsay
Category: AU Isabel/Alex with M/L and M/M
Rating: MATURE – just to be safe.
Disclaimer: The characters of Roswell belong to The WB, Melinda Metz, and UPN. No infringement intended.
Summary: Third in the To-Hell-You-Ride series, featuring our favorite gazer duo.
Author’s note: First time writing Gazer, so feedback is a must. This one is dedicated to a few Gazer’s I adore and worship: Biged, cardinalgirl42, TrueLovePooh, and Mt Gazer. Big smooches to these guys for getting me to even contemplate this. **Heehee** Hope I don’t totally screw this up…

Shoutouts go out to my two best friends, Nate and Les, for contributing indirectly to this fic. I love you guys, even though you’ll never know just how much you inspire me. **evil laugh**

banner by truelovepooh

Love is Like a Cabbage

My love is like a cabbage
Divided into two,
The leaves I give to others
The heart I give to you.

-Anonymous

<center>Part One</center>

Alex Whitman liked blondes. He liked them in all shapes and sizes; tall, skinny, short, stout, with a handle or a spout – he didn’t care much. He had nothing against brunettes or redheads, it was just that when a woman walked by with a mane of flowing golden tresses, it was all he could do not to start panting like a bitch in heat.

He figured it was probably this affinity that had first led him to making the cardinal sin of dating his best friend. Well, so that wasn’t exactly true. Maria had a lot more going for her than just blonde hair. She was spunky and witty and gorgeous, and he loved her to death. But sometimes he just wanted to kill her. This was definitely one of those times.

He often wondered why he couldn’t have just dated Liz, then all would be right with the world. Liz was shy where Maria was blunt and outgoing. Liz was polite where Maria had a tendency to butt in and take over. Liz was…much easier to handle. But he hadn’t felt that snap attraction to Liz, despite the fact that she was one of the most beautiful and wonderful women he’d ever had the pleasure of knowing.

They’d all three been best friends since their school days back in Roswell, and Alex had suffered endless ribbing from his male cohorts due to his close relationship with the two women. He hadn’t cared; he understood women. He got along them, and they adored him. It was one of the few blessings he’d been bestowed with, and he wasn’t about to let it go to waste.

Alex knew he wasn’t what women considered a hunk. At best, he’d been illustrated as the dreaded cute, the same adjective used to decribe fluffy ducks and puppies. He was too tall, his body too lanky, and his mouth too sarcastic. Add in there a fanatical fear of Jell-O gelatin, and he wasn’t exactly a prize - to him anyway. But still…he didn’t think he was too bad off. He’d seen worse…or at least, he figured there were worse out there.

Then the unthinkable had happened. He’d met someone, actually met someone. She wasn’t his best friend, or even one of the women that Liz and Maria had pushed at him from time to time during their double dating days. This was a bonafide wo-man and, God help him, she was blonde. But that wasn’t where the goodies had ended.

He’d been minding his own business, tuning up his guitar at one of the clubs he played at occasionally and waiting for Maria to show up for her gig, when he’d literally felt the hair on the back of his neck rise. He’d looked up, drawn for some reason to the club entrance, and been struck dumb.

She had to be nearly six feet tall, or at least her legs had made her seem so. They were long, shapely, and gave a guy the automatic image of them wrapped around his middle. The light caught her hair, making the burnished strands sparkle.She had the lushest figure he’d ever seen on a woman, a reminder of times past when women actually allowed themselves to have curves, and all of those curves were encased in a tight red sheath that clung to every inch of her like a second skin.

He couldn’t help it. He’d popped a string. Then she’d moved, and the spell was broken. It was obvious she was looking for someone, but whomever the lucky guy was, because let’s face it – with a woman who looked like that, there had to be a guy – he hadn’t shown up yet. She took a table near the stage and ordered a martini, straight up, with three olives. He admired that kind of daring.

He’d given her surreptitious glances every few minutes, wondering who she was and why she seemed almost familiar. He was pretty damn sure he’d never seen a woman who looked like that before in his life. Hmm…he’d always liked a mystery.

Maria had eventually arrived in her usual flurry of flash and excited babble, and Alex had been momentarily distracted by his friend. He was careful not to show any attention to the mystery woman, because he knew Maria only too well. They might have broken up and stayed best friends, but she was still wildly territorial of him. He knew it wasn’t due to any lingering desire on her part, it was simply the way Maria had always been with him. Alex often teased with Liz that she was like a fiercely protective mother bear; always checking up on him and making sure he toed the line. Never mind that it was Maria more often than not getting into trouble and needing someone to bail her out.

They’d played their set, Maria doing an amazing performance that filled Alex with complete pride. It was her biggest dream to one day get a record contract, and he thought she had the skill for it, in spades. As for him, he was just happy goofing around in Roswell, playing his gigs when he could get them and mooching off his trust fund the rest of the time. It was probably the only good thing about being considered a “rich kid” in a town like Roswell.

He’d done the out-of-state college thing, graduated summa cum laude from Ohio State University with a major in music education. He’d come back home with the vague thought of teaching private guitar lessons to high schoolers, but he’d just…never done it. It wasn’t that he was lazy exactly, his “highest academic distinction” proved that. It was more that he just didn’t feel ready to pursue an actual career yet. The timing felt…wrong.

Liz and Maria, being the awesome and accepting friends that they were, had understood and supported him. Although he hadn’t actually told them that he really had no idea of when he planned on getting a headstart on his life. For all they knew, he was just taking a year off…or two. Or three.

He’d hooked back up with some friends from high school who were still doing the band route around town, and taken to completely destroying his parents’ hopes and dreams as he wasted day after day doing nothing but catering to the Roswell nightlife circuit. His dad had threatened to cut him off, more than once, but there wasn’t really anything he could do seeing as how Alex had been of-age to reach his assets since he’d turned twenty-one. So they just bitched back and forth, while Alex basically ignored them. It was pretty much business as usual at the Whitman’s. But back to the night that had changed everything…

He and Maria had finished their set, and she and the others had gone off in search of refreshment while Alex took a breather offstage at one of the nearby tables that just happened to be next to the gorgeous blonde. He loosened his collar, gladly accepting a free drink from one of the waiters and downed it all in one long gulp.

A quick glance over proved Long Legs was watching him, a vague expression of disdain coloring her features. He’d felt the tips of his ears grow red, a characteristic that had plagued him since grade school whenever he was embarrassed. As a result, he’d eventually let his dark, choppy locks grow out into tousled waves that covered the tops of his ears and spared him any further discomfiture.

Their eyes met over the few feet that separated them, and he felt his heart start to play a game of ping-pong within his chest. She was even more beautiful up close, with long-lashed brown eyes the color of a spring fawn. It was an interesting contrast with her silvery blonde hair, and one that he could appreciate.

He wasn’t quite sure what had come over him at that moment; by all means he should have been intimidated. She was definitely sending out “do not touch, do not pass go and collect two-hundred dollars” signals, but for whatever reason he ignored them and concentrated on the almost imperceptible vulnerability shining in her gaze.

He took a chance and mouthed, “Hi”, fully expecting her to give him the brush-off. When it didn’t happen, and she didn’t immediately double over laughing at his audacity, he perked up and awaited her reaction with baited breath.

She blinked, appearing confused for a moment before she glanced around at the surrounding tables. She all but pointed at herself and asked, “Who, me?”

Alex was flabbergasted. Was she serious? Did she actually think he was flirting, well attempting to and probably doing a sucky job of it, with anyone else in the room? When she was sitting there? Ha! Not freaking likely. But he only nodded, debating over whether or not he really had enough courage to go over and sit with her.

God, he didn’t. He wasn’t a Gryfindor, he was a freaking Hufflepuff! The thought of his favorite book series nearly made him grin, until he realized he was staring at Legs with what resembled a scary clown face, the ones that were painted on and exaggerated to immense proportion. No wonder she was giving him a really weird look.

He cleared his throat, and schooled his features into as serious an expression as he could manage. Since he wasn’t really used to being serious, it was harder than he’d thought, and the woman giggled out loud at his facial contortions. At least he’d succeeded in making her laugh, which might not have been his aspiration, but still worked out just fine. She wasn’t laughing at him…and even if she was, she had a wonderful smile so he could forgive almost anything because of that.

Just when he’d garnered enough balls to stand up, a figure approached the table and successfully captured her attention as she stood up to accept the man’s embrace. Then they started kissing right there, in front of him. Ouch.

He felt sort of like he used to when he’d been ruled out in dodgeball; depressed and utterly humiliated by the older kids who liked to throw their balls directly at his head, even when he was already down and incapable of defending himself—

Er, okay, so he apparently still had dodgeball issues. And here he’d thought he was doing so well, not even needing to visit a pyschiatrist as Maria had suggested sarcastically when he’d gotten drunk one night and rambled on about the hazards of school sports.

As it was, he’d just stood there and stared like an idiot as the two had walked off, arm in arm towards the bar, the woman’s husky laughter trailing behind like a slap in the face. Look and dream, buddy, a voice inside of him seemed to sigh. Look and dream.

He hadn’t had long to wallow, because just then Maria rushed over in her lime green platform shoes and skidded across the floor to him. “Alex! Alex, you are not going to believe what happened…”

“Probably not,” he’d sighed, allowing her to take his arm and drag him further away from his mystery woman, half-listening as she rambled on about some producer she’d met while at the bar.

He’d assumed he’d never see the woman again, and had succeeded in putting her out of his mind. Well, that night anyway. Because bright and early the next day, he stepped out of his parents’ house and nearly got hit by a speeding bullet that resembled a silver Camry. And behind the wheel, staring at him with a white face was the goddess from the night before.

“Oh my God, are you all right?” she’d cried out, throwing open the door as one lengthy leg appeared. He watched, transfixed and unable to do more than stare, as she emerged from the vehicle in a flash of tight jeans and leather boots. His gaze got lodged somewhere around her chest, but hey, he was a guy.

“All right?” He’d managed to answer, although his voice resembled a strangled kitten. “Yeah, yeah I’m fine. Are you all right?”

“Me? Why wouldn’t I be all right?” she’d wondered in confusion. “Look, are you sure I didn’t give you a panic attack or something? You look a little green.”

He did? Damn it. He tied for a very un-green look, perking up and shrugging his shoulders in practiced nonchalance. “Nah, I’m fine.”

She’d watched him a moment longer, then a faint smile appeared on the edges of her lips. “All right. See you around, Alex.”

His jaw had dropped, and he’d totally missed the opportunity to find out just how the heck she knew his name, knew him, as she got back in the car and threw him an absent wave before speeding back off. He’d watched her leave, staring out into the distance long after she’d disappeared.

It wasn’t long until he determined that she was staying at the Evanses place across the street from his parents. He’d used the excuse of his apartment being fumigated to stay there and up the possibility of running into her.

Who was she? The Evanses had a son, he knew. He was older than Alex had been, finished school years ahead of he and his friends. There had been a younger Evans, as well, but Alex couldn’t remember much about her except that she was shy and somewhat pudgy. He’d caught her watching him a few times when he’d been practicing his guitar underneath the old oak tree in the quad, but she’d never dared to approach him. He wasn’t sure why; out of all the people in that school, he was probably the least formidable, but they’d never even spoken.

Wait. There had been one instance…

He’d been rushing to make it to gym on time, horsing around with some guys from English class when he’d had a headlong collision with a figure who’d been turning the corner at the exact same time as him. Books had gone flying, his guitar case slamming to the ground, along with a sharp crack.

When he’d looked down, he’d met wide brown eyes before they both glanced down at the now destroyed salt map of New Mexico. His friends had yelled at him to hurry up, they were going to be late, but he couldn’t quite tear his eyes away from the sight of those brown orbs now brimming with frustrated tears.

“I’m sorry,” he’d stated quietly. “Can I…do anything?”

She’d seemed taken aback, as if she hadn’t expected him to notice her distress, but simply run along and follow his friends. She just shook her head, her voice sounding quiet and surprisingly feminine. “N-no. It was my fault.”

They’d stared at one another as the seconds ticked by, until one of his friends’s had finally turned and grabbed his arm. “Alex, let’s go, dude! She can fix it herself, and next time watch out where she’s going.”

He’d been filled with an irrational anger as she’d winced, seeming to draw into herself as she hunched her shoulders and backed away. He shrugged off the restraining arm and called back, “Go ahead without me.” And he picked up the map, somehow managing to juggle it along with his own books as he beckoned for her to follow him. “I’ll walk you to class, explain what happened. It won’t be your fault…?”

“Isabel,” she’d responded in a tiny voice. “And you’re Alex Whitman. It’s okay, I can handle it from here.”

In the end, he’d given up the map, recognizing the faint flush on the younger girl’s cheeks and feeling a mixture of sympathy and some other unnamed emotion that he couldn’t have identified at that age. He gave her an encouraging smile, flipped her two thumbs up, and was gone.

Weird. He hadn’t thought about that event in years…what could have made him remember it now? That’s when it hit him, like a bolt of lightening. Jesus, he was a complete moron. An idiot. Mystery Woman and Awkward Girl were one in the same. No wonder she’d seemed somehow familiar, although he had to admit she’d changed so much over the years since he’d last seen her, that he probably wouldn’t have put two and two together if he hadn’t seen her coming out of the Evanses home.

After coming to his startling realization, he’d purposefully put himself in her path whenever possible, and their encounters turned from slightly awkward, to a hint of underlying playfulness. Over the next few days, he’d managed to crack her icy veneer and bring out the memory of that girl he’d tried to rescue with a broken salt map. It became something of a game to see what he could do to make her smile, and his antics ran the gamut from sunbathing on the front lawn to accidentally happening upon her at the mailbox in the morning.

A usual exchange between them went something like this:

“Good morning, Isabel Evans.”

“Good morning, Alex Whitman.”

“Nice…Pottery Barn catalogue you got there.”

“Nice Spiderman pajamas.”

Toss in a few more witty comments on his part, and he was pretty sure he was getting to her. She was definitely warming up to him, and he tried to assure himself that tomorrow would be the day that he’d finally get up the nerve to try an actual conversation. His chance ended up coming at a completely unexpected time.

He’d been sitting on the front porch; the moonlight filtering down on the quiet neighborhood as the warm desert night air blew through the trees. He was strumming his guitar absently, thinking of Isabel when a shadow had fallen across him. He’d looked up, and there she’d been.

They’d spent the entire night talking, and he’d learned that she was currently taking a break from a modeling agency in LA that she’d joined after high school. He’d been shocked, having remembered the quiet, clumsy girl she’d been back in those days. As it was, she couldn’t have been more than twenty-two. How could things have changed so drastically?

Then he’d felt like an ass. God, was he one of those kinds of guys who only judged on outward appearance? Isabel, long legs and big boobs or not, was someone he truly wanted to get to know better. He felt a connection with her; he’d felt it back when they’d been awkward teenagers together, both living on the crust of school society, but generally accepted due to their parents’ wealth and circumstance.

“Have I changed so much then?”

He’d looked up, realizing he’d been quiet so long after she’d told him of her career choice, and found her watching him with faintly amused eyes. It also appeared as though she’d expected him to react this way. It was slightly off-putting, and made him overly aware of the fact that he was wearing ratty old sneakers and his favorite pair of jeans, whereas she was a veritable fashion plate.

He didn’t want to lie, and knew she’d know he was if he tried, so he went for honesty. “You do seem…different.”

Something had come over her expression then, something that tightened her features as she looked away and out into the night. “Better, you mean. Acceptable.”

He was taken aback by the bitterness in her tone. “Isabel, I didn’t mean—”

“I know you didn’t,” she interrupted quietly. Then she smiled. “You know, I had the hugest crush on you back in high school. And you never even knew I existed.”

“Not true,” he managed, mind spinning around at the implications of her statement. “I knew you did, I…I…”

“You were busy with your own life, and couldn’t be bothered with a gauche, fat girl with who never even talked, much less hung out and did normal things.”

He stared at her. “Isabel…”

“It’s okay, Alex,” she laughed lightly. “I know how it is. And you’re right, I’ve changed. I’m not shy anymore, and I know how to get what I want.”

He wasn’t quite sure what to say when she turned and moved closer to him. He felt vaguely hunted, and couldn’t claim he disliked the feeling one bit. Still, he’d felt the need to point out, “You weren’t fat.”

“Just gauche and weird, then?”

“No! I didn’t—”

“Alex, you’re so cute,” she’d laughed, and then she’d simply leaned over, and placed her lips on his.

She’d tasted like cinnamon, warm and spicy as he sat there and simply let the amazing feeling seep inside of him. Just when the thought had entered his barely coherent brain to try to put his arms around her or something, she pulled back, licked her lips and gave him a sly smile worthy of a siren. “Mmm…” was all she said. “Maybe we’ll have to try this again some time.”

Then she stood up to leave, and his brain finally caught up to reality as he jumped up. “Wait! Did you just ask me out?”

“Maybe I did,” she’d called back. “Got a problem with that?”

Did monkeys crawl out of his butt in the morning? But what came out of his mouth was, “What about that guy?”

That caught her attention, and she’d shot him a confused look. “What guy?”

“The one from the other night…the one you were kissing.” He felt his ears start to burn, but really, he needed to know. The memory of the handsome man he’d seen escorting her that night at the club kept replaying in his mind, and he felt like he was moving through syrup, everything in slow motion as he awaited her response.

Her forehead wrinkled, then she laughed. “Who, Grant? We’re just friends, Alex. Besides, he’s gay. See you on Saturday?”

“Wait, gay? As in…happy?” he’d called back, his head spinning as she laughed and continued on her way across the street. He watched her go inside, and patted his chest with one hand.

“Don’t shut down on me now,” he muttered.

Three months later, they’d been an official couple. Another six months and they were living together in LA, where he was attempting to start up his own music studio. He was in love, and figured she was well on her way as well. He felt like he knew her better than he knew anyone and she was privy to everything of him, as well.

It had been only natural when he’d asked her to marry him. She’d accepted, over a romantic dinner at home where he’d popped out an antique cladaugh ring that he’d found at a pricey jewelry shop on Rodeo Drive, and within minutes the ring had been on her finger, and he’d been inside her. Dinner had gone uneaten, but neither of them had cared.

That’s when the shit hit the fan. He’d managed to keep their relationship lowkey, wanting only to spend time with Isabel without the well-meaning prying of friends and family, but the time had come to spill his guts.

It wasn’t like they didn’t know he was living with her, or even that things were getting pretty serious. But he was pretty sure that no one was expecting the kind of news they had, at least not this soon. He could practically read Maria’s reaction, and was not particularly anticipating that moment.

He’d have rather told Liz first, because she understood the subject of love more than Maria, and would have served as a backup of sorts when he went to tell his other best friend of his upcoming nuptials. But unfortunately he’d somehow managed to lose Liz’s phone number in Colorado, and the only person he could get it from, would have been Maria. Which kind of defeated the purpose to begin with.

So…he’d sucked it up, and he and Isabel had gone back home to face their families and Hurricane DeLuca. It had gone over fairly easy with both of their families, surprisingly easy, in fact. He got along with the Evanses and knew they respected him, as well. He’d yet to meet Isabel’s older brother, but she’d assured him that she had him wrapped around her finger and he’d have no objections, so long as she was happy.

His family had been slightly more misgiving, but only slightly. His mother hadn’t been too crazy at the idea of them settling down for good in California, but when it had come out that they’d decided on someplace much closer to home, Albuquerque, they’d both given in with smiles on their faces. Now all that was left, was telling Maria and Liz. He wasn’t worried over the latter, but the former…

Maria and Isabel had managed to get off on the wrong foot. Maria had a tendency to be pretty frank and blunt, even upon meeting a person, and Alex hated to say it…but she could also be slightly judgemental. And she’d taken one look at Isabel, in her designer clothes and cool attitude that covered inner insecurities, and deemed her a bitchy bimbo. The fact that she’d as much as said so, to Isabel’s face, hadn’t helped matters any.

Isabel thought Maria was flaky and self-involved, and was extremely jealous of the closeness he shared with her. It had caused their first big fight, when Isabel had discovered that he and Maria had once did some “mattress bouncing” as Maria had so crudely put it. He usually appreciated that kind of humor in her, but at the time he’d wanted nothing more than to scream. Which brought him to the reason why he wanted to kill her.

He’d decided it was time to get the hell out of Dodge, and quickly made plans to spend New Years up in Telluride, Colorado, which was where Isabel’s brother lived and worked, and quite coincidentally, was where Liz also resided. On an even more odd twist of fate, Max and Liz had met and fallen in love, and Alex now had even more of a reason to get a look at his fiancee’s big brother.

In order to get away from Maria before she either ruined his relationship or gave him cause for murder, he dragged Isabel to the airport and took her down to Florida under the guise of meeting more of his family. They’d stay there until New Year’ Eve, then fly out to Telluride.

Unfortunately, a huge blizzard had struck the small mountain-town and all flights in or out of Colorado had been canceled until further notice. So they’d made plans to visit Max and Liz later on that month or the next, and flew back to California.

They spent all of January trying to sell their old studio apartment. Finally, an old college buddy of Alex’s took the place off their hands, and they started to search for the comfortable two-bedroom apartment that they would then call home, all the while living in the guest-house behind the Evanses house. In the midst of everything, wedding plans had gotten underway.

Then Alex thought he might go insane. Isabel had a tendency to become a tad controlling when it came to planning big events, which he’d learned over their first Christmas together, that same year. Her family affectionately gave her the name “the Christmas Nazi”, and Alex had warily laughed in agreement, all the while hoping to God she didn’t find out. It just wasn’t worth the pain and torture sure to follow.

When he’d received the call from Liz, demanding that they come and visit before she was forced to fly down and see them, and then he’d really be in for it, he jumped at the chance to take a much-needed break from wedding plans and get out of New Mexico. Colorado was looking pretty damn good to him.

It was February now, and winter had still not subsided in the Centennial State. Six feet of snow plagued Denver, with still more flurries coming every hour. Which is how they found themselves currently on an undeterminable layover stop, shacked up in a Holiday Inn outside of Oklahoma City. But he had to admit they were enjoying just being by themselves again.

A faint purring interrupted his daydreaming, and Alex rolled over to find himself staring into a pair of sleepy brown eyes. He shifted, and came into contact with a wet spot that spread across the hotel bedsheets. He let out a groan, throwing his arm over his face and calling out, “Hey Iz, your dog did it again!”

The sound of a hair-dryer stopped from inside the bathroom, and Isabel’s voice rang out. “What?”

“I said, your excuse of a dog pissed everywhere again,” Alex glowered at the innocent expression of the tiny teacup poodle that blinked back at him. “Bad pooch. That was bad. Do these look like a fire hydrant?”

“Oh honey, you know Jesse doesn’t know any better,” Isabel responded with a sigh. She stepped out of the bathroom, fluffing her silky hair as she approached. “He hasn’t been properly trained yet and—” Her gaze fell on the expensive silk blouse that was laying by his feet, sporting a yellowish stain similar to the one now soaking through their sheets. “Jesse, I’m going to kill you!”

Alex tried not to smirk, but it was hard. “I told you to leave him at home with your parents. He’s just gonna piss all over everything he sits on.”

“I’m telling you – bad dog! – that it just takes a little bit of patience – we do not touch Mama’s Gaultier’s!” Isabel rubbed frantically at the ruined shirt, then gave a frustrated little squeak. “It’s hopeless! I can get blood, sweat and tears out of fabric, but dog urine…arrgh!

“You have like, five of those same shirts,” Alex pointed out. “Wear the one in black instead.”

“I can’t. I had it all set out to match my shoes, and now I can’t wear the Ferragamos I wanted.” She was pouting, and even if she was speaking what consitituted as Greek to him, he still couldn’t resist wrapping her in his arms.

“It’s okay, baby. You’ll look perfect in anything you wear. Trust me.”

“I just…Maria’s going to be there,” she started hesitantly.

Alex lifted a brow. “Yeah, she is. I hope you’re not about to bring up that crazy situation that happened between us years ago, Iz. You have nothing to worry about Maria.”

“She hates me.”

“She does not, she just…she doesn’t know you. Give her a chance, baby. Maybe she’ll surprise you,” Alex squeezed her shoulder. And who knows, maybe you’ll surprise each other.

Isabel was quiet for a moment, then sighed. “I can’t wait to see Max again. It’s been years…”

“Yeah, I’m pretty psyched about seeing Liz again, too,” Alex grinned happily. “That girl’s just so—” He trailed off when Isabel’s sharp gaze pinned him threateningly.

“You have way too many girl friends,” she decided airily. “Always have.”

“Me?” he bleated through a disbelieving chuckle. “You’re kidding, right? You, the woman who makes men fall out of their chairs when she walks past?”

Her expression grew coy and she leaned over to nip his lips. “Yeah, but there’s only one man I want to make fall out of his chair.”

“He better be sitting right here, in a puddle of puppy piss.”

“Hmm…”

Then they were both laughing, Maria and other troubles forgotten as they fell into a world all their own.

End of Part One. To Be Continued
Last edited by Applebylicious on Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:27 pm, edited 10 times in total.
Applebylicious
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Applebylicious »

Hey guys, sorry for the insanely long wait. :oops: I won't even start to try and explain, but believe me when I say that I wasn't just sitting around on my ass the last month or so, lol. And...I'm here with a new part so hopefully that will make up for some of the wait. This is just part A of the second chapter, so there's still more to come...but this is all that I had time to get edited and posted today. I'll be back, most likely tomorrow, with the second half. Then chapter three sometime later this week. If not, I'll try and have someone post it for me, since I've had a bit of trouble posting long parts on the board lately. Anyway...enough blabbing. I hope you all enjoy!

hugs, Linds

Part Two-A

Isabel Evans was a lot of things, but a fan of flying wasn’t one of them. It wasn’t something she was particularly proud of, especially considering her jet-set career choice. It was her dirty little secret that she preferred trains and buses to planes.

However, fears were meant to be overcome. That, if nothing else, she understood only too well. Especially if there were worst fears. This was why she currently found herself white-knuckled and teeth gritted as the pilot’s voice cheerfully announced their arrival at TEX and the stewardesses did their walk-by and checked that everyone was safely buckled in.

Alex snored obliviously next to her, his hair tickling her arm as he shifted in his seat. She accidentally let her elbow slip and jam into his ear. He came awake with a yelp, staring at the airline attendant bending over him.

“Excuse me, sir,” she chirped. “I need you to please put your tray-table up. We’re landing.”

“Yeah, sure,” he answered in a sleepy voice. The woman eyed him like a hawk until the deed was done, then walked off looking for her next unsuspecting victim.

Alex leaned closer to Isabel, rolling his eyes to the heavens. “Like if we crash a hundred feet off the ground, my life will be tragically lost because I had my tray down. At that point, you just gotta have faith, babe.”

Isabel’s teeth clenched harder. “That’s great.”

“I could have slept another…” he consulted his watch, lips forming a pout, “…five minutes. Damn.”

The plane jerked a bit and Isabel let out a squawk of protest, digging her nails into the armrest as she glanced around wildly. “What? What’s happening?”

Alex stared at her. “It’s normal, Iz. Just a little descent-turbulence.”

Isabel glanced over and saw two little kids across the aisle, busy throwing the remnants of paper cups and peanuts at each other despite their harried mother’s protests. They squealed and laughed, and she felt like the biggest idiot on the face of the planet. Determinedly, she loosened her grip on the seat and tried for a bland expression. But understanding had already dawned on her fiance’s face.

“Aw Iz, why didn’t you tell me you were scared of flying?” he asked softly, reaching out to stroke her hair. “You seemed fine on the flight to Oklahoma. And I know you’ve flown before, lots of times.” His voice took on a questioning hint and Isabel felt her cheeks flood with color.

“It’s a flaw,” she mumbled, looking away so as not to meet Alex’s knowing gaze. “I guess I’m just…just tired. It only gets bad when I’m tired.”

Alex opened his mouth, then seemed to think better of it. His hand closed over hers and he began playing with her fingers while smoothly switching the subject to their imminent arrival in Colorado.

“Max and Liz are supposed to be there to greet us,” he explained, and something inside of her lit up at the thought of seeing her brother again after so long.

“Well then, let’s land this sucker,” she gamely smiled, making Alex laugh. The pilot came back on to give the local time and weather forecast, and the plane skidded onto the runway with nary a complication.

As she stepped inside the Telluride Regional Airport, she stared in wonder through the large windows at the outside world. She saw nothing but white. White mountains, white sky, white ground. It was like being inside of a snow globe, and it was like nothing she’d ever seen before.

She caught sight of one of her bags on the baggage rail and reached for it, only to hear her voice being called. One glance over her shoulder had her ready to burst out laughing.

“Isabel, come get this mangy dog before he starts peeing on everything again. No, Jesse!” Alex frowned darkly as he lifted the doggie carrier and glared into the little pup’s brown eyes. “You are a menace.”

“Aw, there’s mama’s little baby,” Isabel cooed upon their approach, knowing it would irritate the hell out of Alex. She reached through the carrier and caressed Jesse’s cold nose, then looked back up at Alex, lips quirking. “He really likes you, you know.”

“Oh yeah, we’re best friends,” Alex growled. “Come on, let’s get out of here. I’m starving.”

“When aren’t you?”

“All they had on that flight was a bag of peanuts. Why, I ask? Do you think they give you that little bag, then go back there and laugh their asses off? There’s like four nuts in there.”

“You could have had the pretzels.”

“You know, you’re totally throwing off my whine here, babe.”

But Isabel didn’t hear him, because they’d just rounded a corner and she’d caught sight of a familiar head of dark brown hair. To her complete shock she felt her eyes sting and her bags slid out of her hands to fall at the ground beside her.

The noise was loud enough to capture Max’s attention and he glanced over, his eyes going from curious to warm. A slow smile slid across his face and before she even felt herself move, she was in his arms. He caught her easily, saying nothing about the fact that she was crying into his throat.

This was her Max. Her brother, her champion, the only person who had ever truly understood her. Her diamond engagement ring caught on the threads of his sweater and she ammended her previous thought. One of two people who truly understood her.

He laughed, easing her back to study her. “Let me look at you for a minute. God, sugar, you look great.” He hugged her again, neither of them hearing the approach of footsteps.

“Max, it’s been too long,” Isabel whispered into his throat.

“Too damn long,” Max agreed roughly. “I missed you, Iz.”

“I missed you, too.”

This time she pulled back, managed a watery smile as Max draped an arm over her shoulder and turned her slightly to the left where she came face to face with a lovely petite woman with heartbreaking brown eyes and a similar shade of hair.

The woman smiled brightly at her, although Isabel sensed a sort of anxiety hidden behind her pretty features. “Hello, I’m Liz Parker. It’s so nice to meet you, Isabel.”

The name clicked, of course, and she abruptly remembered their reason for coming to Colorado in the first place. “Of course, it’s nice to meet you, too, Liz,” she greeted warmly, aware of the pride shining in Max’s eyes. She’d been ready to dislike the woman on sight, as she had Maria, but she just couldn’t manage it. It was easy to understand why her steadfast older brother had fallen for this woman.

She reached back and yanked Alex to the forefront. “This is Alex Whitman.”

It was Max’s turn to stare at Alex with an appraising eye as Liz squealed and rushed into her fiance’s arms. Alex laughed and the two spent several seconds rapidly firing questions back and forth that Max and Isabel could only blink at.

“You look awesome!”

“You too! Where’s Maria?”

“At the bar with Michael. Oh my gosh, she’s going to—”

“—answer to me for that.”

Isabel caught her brother’s amused expression and shrugged her shoulders warily. “They seem to get along well,” she spoke softly, hating that she felt that slight tug of envy at Alex’s ecstatic happiness.

“Liz gets along with everyone,” Max stated with the look of a man besotted. “And it’s been awhile since they’ve seen each other, I’d imagine. Just wait until Maria gets to him, it’s bound to be ten times worse. That girl is louder than a colony of howler monkeys,” he chuckled, obvious affection in his voice.

Isabel wasn’t sure how she felt about that, seeing as how she and Maria got along about as well as Ashlee Simpson and a live audience. But she had determined before they’d left Roswell, that she would not let anything that wannabe diva had to say upset her. She was here to see Max and to meet his friends. Maria meant nothing to her, wouldn’t even register on her radar.

With that firmly in mind, she followed the others outside to where Max’s Jeep waited, snow flaking on the windshield. Isabel snuggled inside her down coat and beneath Alex’s arm, turning her eyes up to gawk at the range of mountains in the distance. “My God,” she breathed incredulously, the cold air stinging her cheeks.

Liz smiled, completely understanding Isabel’s reaction. “I felt the same way the first time I saw them,” she spoke softly, turning her own gaze towards the majestic scenery. “It’s like living in another world.”

Max looked back as he started the Jeep and grinned. “Pretty amazing, huh? Beats the hell out of cacti and dust any day.”

“Are those the Rockies?” Alex wondered.

“Yeah, we’re right in the middle of the San Juan range,” Max explained. “Hey, are you into skiing or boarding?”

Alex swallowed hard. “Like…snowboarding?”

Isabel and Liz shared a moment of camaradarie and a giggle at his horrified expression. They both knew that Alex’s idea of extreme sports was watching them on his television with a bowl of nachos.

But Max remained oblivious. “I’ll have to take you up there before you leave. We’ll take a couple of beers and some thermoses of warm soup…spend the day on the slopes. Trust me, you’ll never want to come down.”

“Um, is it a good idea to drink then operate heavy machinery?” Alex asked queasily. Isabel choked, but out of love managed to hold back an outright laugh. Max just glanced at him oddly.

Liz stepped in and smoothly changed the subject before her brother could go off on a sporty tangent. “Where are you guys planning to stay?”

“Well, we’re staying in town at the Bear Creek Inn,” Isabel replied. “It looked…I don’t know, cozy.” She’d fallen for the little European style inn nestled in the heart of downtown Telluride upon first glance when searching the Internet for accommodations.

“I’ve been there, it’s very nice,” Liz approved. “Plus, you’re really close to everything there.”

“You mean you guys aren’t staying with us?” Max wondered.

“Yeah right, Max,” Isabel winked. “You forget I lived with you for eighteen years. I have no wish to repeat the experience.”

Max made a mock-expression of outrage. “You let her talk to you this way, Alex?”

“Yes sir, I do,” Alex nodded gravely. “I think she could take me.”

Isabel slapped him playfully on the arm as Max roared with laughter. Alex batted his lashes innocently, but managed to sneak a kiss as they pulled into the snowy parking lot in front of a quaint building. The sign read To-Hell-You-Ride Bar and Café.

“Hope you guys feel up to one more reunion,” Max was saying cheerfully as he got out of the Jeep. “I got a call from Mike while we were waiting for your flight to land, and he says Maria’s been chewing his ear off wanting to know when she can see her ‘Snookums’.” Max finished with a grin from ear to ear, not noticing that Isabel had gone rigid beside him.

Alex turned beet red. “I hate when she calls me that,” he mumbled, shooting Liz a dark look as she pressed her hand to her mouth and turned away, shoulders shaking. He spared a glance at Isabel and shrugged his shoulders as they entered the bar.

Isabel momentarily forgot her irritation as she looked around at her brother’s pride and joy. She’d been around the country, visited some of the most glamorous restaraunts and trendiest clubs, but she’d never felt as at home as she did in this small bar/café snuggled at the base of a range of snow-capped mountains. It was decorated for the upcoming holiday, with pink and red roses adorning each table, and cute heart cutouts that appeared to be made by children covering the walls. The aroma was a tantalizing mixture of cinnamon and vanilla, with just a hint of chocolate.

“Oh Max, it’s just wonderful” she sighed, pulling off her coat and gloves, a wide smile on her face. Her eyes began to water again as she stared at the wall where a framed photo of her modeling head shot hung. Before she knew it, words were pouring from her mouth. “I was so angry with you for leaving,” she whispered. “I never understood why you weren’t happy in Roswell. I felt like…I felt like it was something I’d done, that you were tired of me hanging around like a leech.”

“That was never it, Isabel,” Max answered solemnly. “I just…this place called to me, even before I knew it existed. I know, I sound crazy,” h laughed, dragging a hand through his hair.

“No,” she shook her head, turning to him with a smile. “No, you sound happy, Max. You are happy, and I think a lot of that has to do with Liz, as well. And I’m so glad.”

“What about you?” Max’s eyes were searching as he held her hands. “Is this…is he what you really want, Iz?”

She knew he wasn’t demeaning Alex in any way, but was simply being who he was. Max Evans, her older brother who had only ever wanted to protect her from any harm. “Yes, he’s what I want,” she answered, her eyes unconsciously seeking out Alex among the small crowd of people in the bar. “Now, ask me about everything else.”

Max frowned, but before he could question those enigmatic words, a band began to play and a gorgeous female voice started crooning a playful version of the Rolling Stones’ Get Off My Cloud. Isabel craned her neck until she found the source of the music, then felt her heart plummet.

“Isn’t she great?” a male voice boasted at her back. “Of course, I’m gonna have to rearrange that guy’s face in the front if he doesn’t keep his eyes on the…microphone.”

Isabel turned and was greeted with a pleasing vision of masculinity complete with shoulder length, coffee-colored hair and brooding eyes. His body wasn’t half-bad, either. She let her lips curve into a harmlessly teasing smile and lifted a brow in question. “Hello, handsome.”

Max laughed. “Michael Guerin, meet my sister Isabel,” he quickly introduced. “Iz, be nice.”

Michael glanced askance at Max. “You don’t say? Max has told us all a lot about you, Isabel,” he held out a hand in friendly welcome. “Welcome to Telluride, and To-Hell-You-Ride.”

“Thank you, Michael,” Isabel began, but Michael was already shouting across the room for someone named Kyle. She heard Max groan right before a sinfully handsome man appeared from out of nowhere. Isabel blinked, taking in his gorgeous attributes, and realized she’d met her match as he slid her a flirtatious smile that made her insides heat up. This man was no amateur, yet she garnered he was no more serious about his flirting than she had been with Michael. She immediately liked him.

“This is Isabel, Max’s little sister,” Michael emphasized with a wiggle of his brows to his handsome friend. Max rolled his eyes, apparently used to their antics, even as he shot them both a warning look.

Mr. Hunka-Hunka lifted a brow and murmured, “She don’t look like anyone’s little sister to me. How ya doing, beautiful?”

“I feel like I should be asking you the same thing,” Isabel smiled, causing Kyle to hoot as he reached forward and pulled her into a friendly embrace.

“I like your little sister, Max,” he grinned devilishly.

“Yeah? Well, if you like your balls you’ll get your hands off of her. Tracie’s coming this way.”

Even as he pulled away, Kyle puffed out his chest and drawled, “Aw, Tracie knows I’m just playing around. Our relationship goes beyond trivial misunderstandings.”

Just then, a curvy brunette walked by and slapped Kyle upside the head. “Tracie thinks something around here smells like shit, and it ain’t coming from the bathroom,” she huffed, walking off.

Michael and Max shared an amused look as Kyle followed her. Isabel just shook her head, wondering at the familiarity of the people in the bar. There had to be at least thirty and they all acted like they knew one another intimately. Was it just one of the benefits of a small town? She didn’t think so, after all, Roswell was as small as they came, but she’d never seen this kind of behavior from the locals.

She pondered this as Kyle returned and Max introduced Alex to his friends. Someone asked her something, but before she could answer, her eyes locked with Maria’s green gaze across the room. Her hackles immediately raised, and the blonde’s eyes narrowed in hostility. She abruptly changed songs and Isabel felt her cheeks flush as Maria began belting out Poison’s Devil Woman.

“Maria! Get your ass over here!” Alex called out jovially, momentarily squeezing Isabel’s hand.

Maria shrieked so loudly that everyone put their hands over their ears, save for Michael who simply griped at her to shut up. She spared him an evil look before practically leaping into Alex’s arms and planting a firm kiss on his lips. “Snookums!” she cried out, wiggling in his arms. “You’ve come home to me at last

“Have you gained weight?” was Alex’s sly rejoinder. Maria gasped and lowered herself, glaring at him as he burst out laughing. “You know I hate when you call me that.”

“Remind me to seriously hurt you when I get over being so excited you’re finally here,” Maria hugged him hard. “God, boy!”

“God, girl!”

Maria’s eyes fell on her and her expression turned calculating as she stepped away from Alex. Isabel wondered if everyone else heard the sound of tumbleweeds blowing across the distance that separated them. But a quick glance showed that no one else was privy to the animosity flowing between the two women.

Maria made the first move. “Isabel,” her lips curved into a semblance of a smile as she moved forward to pat her on the back. “It’s so…nice to see you again. Have you dyed your hair? It looks great.”

“No,” Isabel gritted her teeth in a struggle to remain polite. “But thank you for noticing.”

Okay bitch, she thought, hating that they’d barely spoken and Maria had already gained a reaction out of her. She recognized Maria’s own insecurities; she’d been the victim of it with many women before. Sometimes it amused her, remembering how she’d once had nothing but disdain from the same kind of women who now seemed to fear her, and envy her. It was human nature for a woman to feel threatened by the existence of another equally pretty woman. Maria needed to stake a territorial claim, she got that. But she was hard-pressed to feel the slightest bit of compassion for the bloodthirsty blonde.

She took a deep breath, baring her teeth in a smile. You don’t exist. I’m here to visit my brother, so do what you want. I won’t get in your way.

As if on cue, a rattling sound came from across the room and Isabel heard Kyle say, “Hey there, dawg. C’mere, I won’t hurt you…hey, were ya off to?”

“Oh no,” she whispered, wondering how she could have forgotten all about Jesse. “Oh no! Don’t let him—” she cut off as a blur of black fur shot past her. “Jesse, come back here right now!”

Maybe he’d felt the anxiety pouring off of his mistress, or maybe it was simply the result of being locked up for too long. But either way, Jesse cowered, gazing apologetically at Isabel as he began to pee. Right on Maria’s feet.

To Be Continued in Alex's POV, Part 2b...
Applebylicious
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Applebylicious »

Part 2-b

“She did it on purpose,” Maria gritted out as laughter continued to spill from the opposite side of the room. She glared to where Michael was doubled over, holding onto Max’s shoulder as his face turned red from mirth. “She told that stupid mutt to piss all over me.”

“Oh, Maria, she did not,” Liz tsked, unable to hide the amusement coloring her features as she rolled her eyes in Alex’s direction. “I swear, I don’t understand the hostility you have for her. I, for one, think Isabel’s wonderful.”

“Thank you, Liz,” Alex pouted, giving Maria a pointed look as he finished wiping up the puddle of puppy urine. “Nice to know I have one supportive friend in all of this.”

Maria opened her mouth to respond, but apparently thought better of it after Liz loudly cleared her throat. She fell back in a sulk, crossing her arms against her breast and chewing her lips.

“She was obviously mortified,” Liz continued softly. “You don’t have to sit here and stew over it, Mar. It was an accident.”

“The dog has some kind of irritable bowel syndrome,” Alex grumbled, scratching the back of his neck as he caught sight of Isabel coddling her pooch across the room. What Liz said was true; he could easily read the embarrassment highlighting Iz’s beautiful expression. Any lingering resentment he might have felt at having to play clean-up boy disappeared at the blatant distress in her eyes.

He turned to his best friend, not trying to disguise the pleading in his tone. “She really didn’t mean it, Maria.”

Maria blinked, surprised, he knew, by the fact that he was willingly begging her to drop it. He’d never minded Maria voicing her opinions – harsh as they might be – about anything. But the idea of her attacking Isabel when he could read the vulnerability on his fiancée’s face…it was unthinkable.

They stared at each other for a long moment before Maria released a belabored sigh and shrugged. “Fine, it was an accident,” she admitted.

Alex released the breath he hadn’t realized he was holding. “Great. Then no hard feelings, right?”

Maria quirked a brow, but rolled her eyes and shrugged again. “Whatever. If it makes the Ice Princess feel better, I won’t make a big deal out of it.”

“That’s the spirit,” Alex murmured, pulling her into an affectionate hug. It was quite a statement from his hot-tempered friend, and one he was prepared to be grateful for. “Now let’s go play nice.”

Before he could pull her across the room, Maria pulled away and let out a disbelieving laugh. “Nice try, pal. But if you think I’m going to go over there and watch everyone fawn all over your girlfriend du-jour, think again. I’m late for something, anyway. Later.”

Alex watched her leave in exasperation. Turning to Liz, he threw up his hands in mock-defeat. “I just don’t get it. Was it something I said?”

Liz nibbled her lip, gazing after Maria with a vaguely worried expression. But when she met Alex’s eyes she smiled brightly. “Everything’s going to work out, Alex. Maria’s just being…Maria. Don’t let her upset you, okay?”

Alex sighed, rubbing the bridge of his nose. “Thanks, Parker. And you’re right, I know. I guess I was just…well, never mind. Anyway, be honest with me. What do you think of her?”

Liz smiled, humming softly as she tucked an arm through his and began leading him back across the room towards the others. “What do I think…well, I think Isabel’s perfect for you. Anyone with eyes can see that.” Before he could grin, she punched him lightly in the arm. “What do you think about Max?”

Alex couldn’t help it then. He busted out laughing. “God, we’re two peas in a pod, Parker.”

“What are you two laughing about?” Max smiled as they approached. He held his arms out so that Liz could slip inside them as if it were the most natural thing on earth and didn’t require any thought on his part whatsoever. Alex almost envied that kind of confidence.

Sure, he knew Isabel loved him. But he couldn’t deny that there were moments when he looked at her and wondered what an ex-model was doing with a lanky loser like himself. The thoughts that followed were never pretty, so he always managed to shake it off.

“Just catching up,” Liz replied, turning her face up to kiss Max softly. She glanced at Isabel, smiling sympathetically. “Maria had an appointment, but she said she’d catch up with us tomorrow.”

Isabel flushed, obviously realizing there was more to the story than Liz was graciously admitting.

Further proof came when Michael bellowed, “Appointment? What appointment? I don’t remember any appoint—” He lost his breath as Liz discreetly elbowed him in the stomach.

“How’s Jesse?” Alex desperately tried to change the subject, moving to pet the shaking bundle of fur in Isabel’s arms. The fact that he was voluntarily attempting to touch the hairball made Isabel’s lips quiver into a smile. It was enough for him.

She handed the dog over and nervously ran her hands through her hair. “I’m so sorry about Jesse…he must have been frightened on the flight over. I promise he won’t be peeing all over your apartment, Max.”

“No worries,” her brother waved it off with amusement. “It was worth everything I own to see the look on Maria’s face when he squatted over those skank shoes. Oh…the sweet scent of revenge. Surprisingly, it smells like dog urine.” He cackled evilly.

“Oh, don’t listen to him,” Liz rolled her eyes. “He’s loving it because Maria accidentally set his favorite shirt on fire last month.”

“That was no accident,” Michael snickered.

Isabel appeared as bewildered as Alex felt. He shook his head, not sure if he wanted to know what had turned Maria into a pyro. “Um…okay then.”

Max abruptly stopped laughing and glanced at his watch. “Well, we’d better go ahead and head out. I have the early shift tomorrow morning.”

“Nice to meet you, Alex,” Michael put out his hand and clasped Alex’s in a strong grip. He moved on to Isabel, kissing her affectionately. “You, too, Isabel. Nice to know there’s some class in Max’s family after all.”

“Bite me,” the offended party grumbled, wrapping his arms around Liz.

“It was wonderful meeting you,” Isabel smiled, magically transforming into her public persona. “I hope we’ll all be able to get together again before we leave.”

“Count on it,” was all Michael said before drifting away to man the bar.

The outside temperature had dropped a good twenty degrees while they’d been inside the bar. Alex was immediately grateful for the layers of cotton he’d packed. The image of a warm blanket and a roaring fire nearly made him drool as he made his way to Max’s jeep.

He smiled and sighed happily as he mentally added a naked Isabel Evans to his fantasy. When she glanced at him questioningly, he simply wrapped an arm around her and pulled her up snug against him. “Much better,” he purred happily.

“What’s gotten into you?” Isabel wondered in amusement as they slid inside the backseat. “You have the naughtiest look on your face, Alex Whitman.”

“Wouldn’t you like to know,” he returned flirtatiously, loving when she flushed prettily and looked away. But not before he caught a glimpse of pleasure shining on her features. God, he loved her so much. It still humbled him that she’d actually agreed to marry him. The realization that she’d burned for him for even longer than he’d wanted her was like a fan to his flame.

They spent the ride to Max and Liz’s curled up happily to each other, talking in quiet voices as Liz and Max traded adoring glances in the front. Alex couldn’t help but be amused by the fact that two Evans’ had so successfully stolen both he and Liz’s dysfunctional hearts.

They reached the apartment in no time, both couples saying quick goodnights and disappearing into their rooms. Alex glanced around the spacious guest room, his eyes landing on the queen-sized bed where Isabel had laid out one of the tiny negligees she always slept in. The deep red silk and lace made him wiggle his brows as he made his way towards the adjoining bathroom where the shower was running.

“Admit it, Iz. You put the red one out to torture me,” he called out before he lost track of every thought in his head. The shower stall had no curtain, just steamed glass that revealed more than it managed to hide. He felt like a cartoon dog whose tongue had rolled across the floor as he stared at the line of Isabel’s curvy figure. “Holy Halloween, Batman.”

Isabel looked up at his voice, a question in her eyes as she held one palm over her breast. Soap dripped from her fingers and Alex gulped. “Did you say something, honey?” she wondered sweetly.

“Say…something?” he parroted like a fool. “Was I talking? Am I alive?”

She laughed, the sound low and sultry as she crooked a finger. “C’mere, Whitman. I need someone with…capable hands to wash my back.”

Alex took a moment to glance around the small room. “Since I’m the only one here, I suppose I’ll just have to take one for the team.”

And he did.

To be continued in Part 2-c...
Applebylicious
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Applebylicious »

Okay...only one more part after this. I'll try and have it up sometime tomorrow. Things are just nuts here right now, lol. Hope you all enjoy! :D

hugs, Linds

Part 2c

The next week flew by so quickly that Isabel barely had a chance to notice. There was a whirlwind of activities that Max and Liz insisted on dragging her and Alex along for, although she couldn’t complain. It was quite possibly the most fun she’d had in a long time.

She’d never much considered herself an outdoorsy type, but she couldn’t deny the pull of the mountains and the general beauty of Colorado. It called to a person’s soul; even someone as jaded as she’d become. She’d laughed more in the time she’d spent there than she could ever recall. Even more than that, the constant insecurities that plagued her seemed to have disappeared like a breath of fresh air. She found herself easily joking and teasing the others, never once wondering if they merely tolerated her.

She and the Telluride gang had become fast friends, with the obvious exception of Maria DeLuca who had gone out of her way to avoid any and all gatherings where Isabel was present. Isabel had to admit it stung; more because she knew just how much it pained Alex to have the two of them at odds. But she refused to cower before her fiancé’s friend and ex. She’d done enough of that in her life and had vowed to never do so again.

Still, it made for a few awkward moments when they were all together. Maria was never exactly subtle about her disdain for Isabel, although she’d mellowed over the weeks to simple sneers and occasional rolls of her eyes.

Isabel was pulled from her musings by a pair of warm palms that covered her eyes. She smiled softly, leaning into the lanky body behind her as she pretended confusion. “Mmm…Alan?”

“Alan! What the…!” an affronted voice growled in her ear, before she burst out laughing. The pair of hands dropped from her face and she spun around to find Alex pouting. “Very funny.”

“Hi,” she smiled brightly, giving him a gentle kiss on the lips as he struggled to remain indifferent. She deepened the kiss with a playful nip of her teeth and his sulking frown faded away to be replaced with eagerness. His hands slid down her back to cup her bottom and he squeezed softly.

“Hi yourself,” he managed after she finally pulled away, his expression dazed and more than a little hungry. “And what was that for?”

“For convincing me it was a good idea to come visit,” she replied, patting him on the chest. She met his gaze. “I love it here, Alex. Seeing Max again…being here with you…all of it. It’s just so…”

She wanted to say “magical”, but flushed in embarrassment at how sappy she must sound. She settled for clearing her throat and turning slightly away. However, Alex caught her wrist and made her face him. The wide grin on his face said it all, and she stifled a groan.

“I was right,” he smirked. “I, Alexander Charles Whitman, bet Isabel Amanda Evans she’d loosen up long enough to toss those designer digs to the wayside and live life. And I…was right.”

“One of the things I love most about you, Alex, is your modesty,” Isabel replied sweetly.

Their playful banter lasted throughout the morning as they got ready to meet the others at the slopes. True to his word, Max had dragged Alex along for several snowboarding lessons and had proven both a dedicated and challenging teacher. Alex had taken his first jaunt down the bunny hill and was instantly addicted.

A knock sounded on the bedroom door and Isabel paused in the act of zipping up her down parka before answering. “Come in!”

Liz’s head appeared in the doorway, a small smile on her features. “The guys went ahead…something about ‘shredding the backcountry’ before the sun gets too hot. It pretty much went over my head, but I think the gist of it is every woman for herself.”

Isabel grinned, remembering how pumped Alex had been to get back out on the mountain. “I see. So it’s just you and me, then?”

Liz hesitated, her smile slipping before returning bright with force. “Well, actually…”

Before she could finish, a familiar voice called, “God, what’s taking so damn long? Let me guess… Queenie can’t decide between whether to wear the ruby or diamond tiara?”

Isabel flushed a deep red as Liz winced and looked back to hiss, “Maria! Shut up!” She looked back at Isabel with an apologetic expression, but Isabel was too angry to notice.

How dare that woman? She honestly couldn’t think of a reason why Maria would dislike her so, but it was apparent that the other woman needed absolutely no provocation to be snarky. Isabel had about had enough of it.

“It’s okay, Liz,” she answered quietly.

“No, it really isn’t,” Liz replied, an embarrassed flush raising along her own cheeks. “I swear, she’s acting like such a bi—” She trailed off, growling incoherently before taking a deep breath. When she spoke again, it was with her normal serene tone. “Do you still want to go?”

Isabel blinked. “Of course.” Like she’d give that harpy a moment’s worth of satisfaction by being scared off of spending time with her friends. It was about time that Maria DeLuca discovered that there was more to Isabel Evans than a pretty face.

She jerked her coat on the rest of the way and followed Liz out into the living room. She found not only Maria waiting, but Michael’s gorgeous blonde sister, Tess. The teenager offered her a beaming smile, one that Isabel couldn’t help but return.

She hadn’t spent much time with Tess because it always seemed that the young woman was either busy with school or one charity event after another, but she’d spent enough time in Tess’s company to know that despite her obvious attachment to Maria, she was a kind and caring person. In spite of the handicap that made every day of Tess’s life a hurtle, she simply blossomed. Not even Michael’s overprotective nature seemed to aggravate the teen. She took it all in stride, and made the atmosphere that much more pleasant when she was around.

If only the same could be said for the other woman in Michael’s life. Isabel’s eyes traveled away from Tess to rest on Maria, who was gifting her with a smirk as she ran her verdant gaze up and down Isabel’s clothing. One blonde brow raised beneath her fringe of bangs.

Isabel bared her teeth. “The tiara didn’t go with the outfit,” she purred sweetly. She had the momentary pleasure of seeing the amusement wiped from Maria’s face before Liz hurried forward.

“Ready? Great! Let’s go before Max has them all jumping off Mt. Elbert,” she muttered, taking Maria’s arm and practically forcing her out the door before she could speak.

Isabel watched in bemusement, turning towards Tess. The blonde was watching with a half-smile on her pretty face, and for some reason it was all Isabel could do to stifle a snort of laughter. “Shall we?” she held her arm out questioningly.

Tess took her arm with a giggle, sliding her a glance from beneath her lashes. “She’s not really so bad, you know.”

Isabel didn’t reply.

<center>*** </center>

“Holy shit! Did you see that face plant? Dude completely beefed!” Michael exclaimed as they watched a newbie boarder attempt to pull himself out of a fresh snow bank. “Damn, he’s gonna be feeling that later.”

Alex tried not to cringe, knowing that his skills about matched the ill-fated snowboarder…if they weren’t worse. What the hell had he been thinking, agreeing to follow the others off-piste? Just because he’d had a few successful rides down the slopes didn’t mean he was ready for this.

He gulped, surveying the scenery around him from the top of the hill Max had chosen for their first descent. White snow threatened to blind him, rolling over the mountain’s ridges like a sleek blanket. Alex knew that many dangers lurked beneath the seemingly tranquil scene.

On his first jaunt, he’d managed to trip across a hidden tree root and had been catapulted headfirst into a nearby snow bank. Luckily, both he and his board had come out of it unharmed, though it had sent Kyle and Michael into gales of hysterical laughter. At least, until an irate Max reminded them of their first attempts. Alex had to admire the guy for that.

On his left, Max took a deep breath of the frosty air and grinned. “Nothing better in the world,” he murmured happily.

“Oh yeah? I bet Liz’d have something to say about that,” Kyle teased, wiggling his brows as Max turned beet red.

Alex wasn’t sure how he felt, seeing as how they were talking about his best friend. But then again, it wasn’t like he’d ever thought Liz was a virgin. He knew she had…sex, for God’s sake. Just because she looked sweet and innocent didn’t necessarily mean she was—

“What’s with the face, Whitman? You look like you got a whiff of Kyle’s jocks,” Michael snickered, seizing the moment to bash his friend unmercifully. Kyle returned with a rude hand gesture.

Alex wasn’t sure how to respond, so he was grateful when Max interrupted.

“Hey idiots, are we doing this or not?”

A chorus of ayes echoed, including one from Alex’s own mouth, and they all began helping each other with their gear. Within minutes, they were all making their way down the hill and having the time of their lives.

On his third jaunt, Alex paused and wiped the perspiration from his forehead before turning to the others and asking, “Where’s the girls anyway? I thought they were meeting up with us?”

Max immediately answered. “I talked to Liz and she said they were sticking around the bunny hill. We’ll meet up with them for lunch.”

Alex opened his mouth to further question, but Michael slugged him playfully in the ribs.

“Come on, Alex. If Lover Boy here can manage to separate himself from Liz’s hip for a mere few hours, then surely you can, too. Although the lovely Miss Evans’s hips are divine.”

“Man, that’s my sister you’re running your mouth off about.” Max looked disgusted.

“Forget this! I’m hungry!” Kyle exclaimed, rubbing his flat stomach with one gloved hand. “If my stomach growls any louder, it might start a freakin’ avalanche.”

“You’re always hungry,” Max and Michael drawled together. Alex snickered.

But they all packed up and started the long journey back to the trucks. While Max whipped out his cell and started cooing into the phone with Liz, Alex helped the others toss the used equipment into the truck bed.

“So, you having fun?” Kyle asked, flashing him a grin. “You really took to it after that one bonking you took. Impressed the hell outta me, man. You’re made of tough stuff, Whitman.”

“Here, here,” Michael chortled. “Valenti here bawled like a baby the first time he ate snow.”

“Suck me.”

The good-natured ribbing continued the entire way to To-Hell-You-Ride, and eventually even Alex joined in. When Max pulled up in front of the bar, they spilled out and made their way inside amidst laughter and jibes.

As soon as he walked in the door, Alex’s senses trained on Isabel. She was sitting in the corner, talking with Liz and a stacked brunette who was wearing the To-Hell-You-Ride service uniform. After a moment, Alex placed her as the woman Kyle was seeing. This was proved seconds later when Kyle strutted across the floor and slapped her on the ass on his way to the back room.

Isabel looked over and met his gaze. She smiled, but there was a faint strain around her eyes that worried him, and he immediately moved to step forward. However, he was intercepted by Maria, who grabbed his arm and began dragging him towards the small stage that was set up in the corner of the room.

“Alex! You’re hee-rrre!” she sang. “Guess what time it is?” Before he could attempt a reply, she wiggled her hips and squealed, “Karaoke night, baby!”

Michael groaned behind him, passing by with a sad shake of his head as he met Alex’s gaze. With one final glance at Isabel, Alex sighed and threw his hands up in the air, knowing there was no way he was getting off the stage until Maria had had her way. “What torture are you gonna put me through tonight, Mar?”

His friend’s lips poked out in a practiced pout. “Alex, I thought you liked karaoke,” she wheedled. Within seconds, she would surely start crying. He could almost see the tears welling in her big green eyes.

Torn between amusement and exasperation, Alex shook his head. “Maria, you know I hate making an ass out of myself in public. But for you, I’ll do anything. Just pick the damn song and let’s get this over with.”

She immediately brightened; all traces of the oncoming tantrum disappearing. “Yay!” she squealed. “Okay…let me think…”

Minutes later, Alex decided that some things just weren’t worth friendship. He shot Maria a dirty look as he stumbled his way through quite possibly the worst version of Shania Twain's Man, I Feel Like a Woman. The crowd was cheering, and his friends – minus Maria, who was belting it out next to him – were all laughing. Even Isabel looked reluctantly amused.

“Remind me to kill you after this,” Alex said between his teeth as the final notes echoed through the bar. The room erupted in cheers again as Maria took a dramatic bow, but Alex merely turned to stalk off the stage, hoping his red face would be attributed to windburn.
Applebylicious
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Applebylicious »

Thanks to Truelovepooh for the awesome new banner! *smooch*

Part 3

As Valentine’s Day grew closer, the town of Telluride seemed to fall under the spell of the holiday. Everywhere Isabel looked, couples were enjoying one another’s company. She’d never seen so many open displays of love that weren’t raunchy or crass, and once again thought about how glad she was to be away from Los Angeles.

She was infinitely more attracted to the charm of the small Colorado town – with it’s gleaming, snow covered mountains and captivating sense of character – than she was to any trendy night club or lewd beach.

What’s more, she found herself growing extremely reluctant to return to New Mexico as the days progressed. Just as her brother before her, she’d fallen completely in love with Telluride and the idea of leaving it all behind nearly broke her heart.

She’d also grown attached to the friendships she’d cultivated there; Michael, Kyle, Liz and Tess…they’d all welcomed her into their fold without hesitation and for the first time in her life, Isabel discovered that she didn’t have to be gorgeous or witty to be liked. She could simply be herself, and everything would happen as it should.

She was lying on the couch in Max and Liz’s apartment, reading quietly while the snow fell outside the window. The house was empty, save for Alex who was taking a late shower. Completely caught up in the drama of the new Nora Robert’s romantic thriller, she didn’t hear anyone approaching until it was too late.

Letting out a shriek as a shadow fell over her, she sat straight up and threw the book as hard as she could, where it collided with a thud against the intruder.

“Ow!” Alex howled, grabbing his groin and hopping comically on one foot, then the other. “That was my dick!

“Oh, God, Alex!” She said, stifling a hysterical laugh as he looked down at her with incredulity. “I’m so sorry…I was in the middle of finding out who was stalking—I just didn’t realize it was you,” she finished lamely as his jaw worked.

“S’okay,” he squeaked, backing away slowly and cupping himself protectively. “I just hope you haven’t got your hopes set on kids in the future.”

“Oh, come here,” she said firmly, then let her lips tilt seductively. “Do you need me to rub it and make it feel better?”

Interest bloomed across his features, and he moved quickly toward her. They were both laughing as he crushed her into the cushions, hands roaming and groping through clothing.

The sound of the front door opening registered seconds later, and they both looked up to see Maria entering.

“Liz? Max? Anyone home?” She called out, then glanced up and realized what she’d interrupted. Several various emotions warred across her face, and then she pulled a face and let the door slam.

“Can’t the two of you take that behind locked doors?” she wondered, tucking her set of keys in her purse.

Isabel fumed, opening her mouth to blast the smug bitch, but Alex beat her to it.

“We did,” he snapped, eyeing the front door pointedly. Blatant irritation was present in his tone, and Maria’s brows rose. “What the hell are you doing here, Maria?”

“Touchy,” she sniffed, although she appeared slightly sheepish. “I’m looking for Liz. We’re supposed to pick up Tess and go get pedicures. It’s all on Michael and Max, for Valentine’s Day. You know – girl’s day, and all.”

She looked down her nose at Isabel, as if to make the fact that she hadn’t been invited impossible to miss. Despite herself, Isabel felt her cheeks flame and all the old insecurities of her youth rise up to strangle her.

Don’t ask her! I don’t care how hot her brother is, she’s such a loser!

She needs to lose some weight before she’s too wide to fit through the classroom door!

Shh…I think she heard us…although, she always looks that way, doesn’t she? Like her dog just died.

Eyes stinging, she stood up woodenly. “I’m not feeling well,” she managed, avoiding Maria’s sharp gaze and Alex’s concerned one as she picked up her book and made to leave the room.

“Isabel, wait—”

She ignored Alex, shutting the door behind her and resting her head against it. Her breath was coming hard and fast, and she felt her nails biting into her palms as she fisted her hands at her side.

Why did she let what Maria DeLuca said and did matter to her? Had years of therapy solved nothing? She’d thought she’d learned to distinguish between what was important to care about, and what was not. Maria DeLuca and her bitter attitude were definitely not something she needed to care about.

And yet…and yet…Isabel couldn’t stop the automatic reflex to please the other woman. To prove to her, once and for all, that there was something impressive about Isabel Evans. Besides her bra size.

She could hear lowered voices going back and forth in the living room, and pulled herself together long enough to crack the door open and hear Alex’s next snappish statement.

“Why are you treating her this way, Maria? What did Isabel ever do to you?”

“I have no idea what you’re talking about,” Maria replied, defensively.

“Oh come off of it. Prancing around, bragging about pedicures when you know damned well that she knew nothing about it,” he hissed.

“Hey, that’s not my fault, okay?” Maria answered sharply. “It was all Liz’s idea, buddy, so don’t take that tone with me just because your precious Princess didn’t get an invite.”

Isabel winced at that.

“Yeah, well, did you have to rub it in her face?” Alex shot back, absolutely livid judging by the expression on his face. “You’ve acted like such a bitch since we got here, and I’m sick of it.”

“Did you just call me a bitch?” Maria’s mouth was gaping. “You’ve never…see what that woman’s done to you, Alex? She’s completely brainwashed you! She’d like nothing better than for you to completely drop me and run around making her every wish come true!”

“No, Maria, that’s you! And let me clue you in on something else; if you don’t cut this shit out, Isabel won’t have to brainwash me – I’ll forget you ever existed myself!

Isabel’s eyes widened at the shouted declaration, and she clapped a hand over her mouth as Maria’s gasp echoed in her ears. Her heart was beating rapidly as silence ensued for several long seconds.

Finally Maria spoke, a watery edge to her voice. “I-I can’t believe you just said that to me, Alex.”

Isabel couldn’t quite believe it, either. There was a pained expression coloring Alex’s features, but he didn’t back down as she half-expected him to.

“What do you expect?” he wondered in a tired voice. “You’re forcing me to pick between the two of you, Mar, and I just…I can’t. I refuse to be your security blanket anymore.”

“Security blanket?” she repeated incredulously. “Is that what you think? Alex, I’m just trying to protect you. Isabel Evans is way out of your league, sweetie. She’s an ex-model! She’s used to the high-life, and you still lived with your parents’ until a few months ago. There’s no way you two will last.”

“How do you know, you’ve never even tried to get to know her!” Alex returned in exasperation. “If you did, you’d realize that none of that matters to Iz. She’s perfect for me, and I really resent you saying otherwise!”

“Alex—”

“I’m not finished!” he interrupted firmly, and Isabel bit back a surprised jolt of arousal as she witnessed Alex being all forceful and determined, standing up to his best friend. For her.

“I’ve looked the other way while you’ve been rude and snarky for longer than I should have, because you are my best friend,” he continued. “But good God, Maria! You’re giving me nothing to work with here! You’re the only one being antagonistic about this, and I just really don’t understand why. Unless…”

He trailed off, a half-horrified half-sympathetic expression crossing his face. “Unless…you don’t still…? I mean, you’re happy with Michael, right? You’re not, like, still feeling things for me? Are you?”

Isabel froze after his bumbling question. She’d wondered the same thing ever since she’d known Maria, to be honest. The other woman treated Alex like her own personal property; not bothering to hide the intimacy they shared. Sure, she obviously had Michael wrapped around her little finger, but what if that wasn’t enough?

Maria began laughing hysterically, doubling over and grabbing her knees. “You’re not serious!” she exclaimed, eyeing him in disbelief. “I mean…you think I’m in love with you or something? Oh, my God!

Alex began to blush. “You don’t have to laugh quite so loud,” he grumbled, while Maria continued howling.

“I’m in love with Michael,” she added, sobering as she said the words. “You were fun to be with, that way, but you’re nothing like he is.”

Ouch. Isabel would have liked to bash Maria’s brains in for that unfeeling comment, but Alex merely seemed relieved.

“Yeah, well, ditto,” he replied quietly. “Isabel is the one for me. You’re gonna have to accept that, or else we’re not going to be able to hang out. Period. I love her, and if you force me to choose, I’ll go with her.”

Tears stung her eyes once again, and she rested a palm against the door while letting his words sink in. She’d never had anyone say anything remotely like that to her, before. Sure, she’d had men profess their undying love…but it had always been based on superficial things. They’d never really known her, and they certainly never would have truly meant it the way she knew Alex did.

She was overcome with the need to prove to him, as well, how much she loved him. Unfortunately, Maria was still there and the last thing she wanted to do was bare her soul in front of Maria DeLuca. So she continued to wait in the guest room.

“You really love her?” Maria was saying, uncertainty evident in her soft voice. “This isn’t some momentary lapse for you, like college or getting a real job?”

“Yes,” Alex replied. “Yes. I love her, and this is nothing like what you’re thinking. I’m dead serious about her, Mar. Can’t you be happy for me? I’ve found my Michael Guerin.”

“Oh, that was a low blow,” Maria muttered, but Isabel could see tears shining in her green eyes. Maria bit her lip and appeared undecided for a long moment, before finally groaning, “Fine. I’ll try to be nice to Miss Model.”

“Isabel,” Alex corrected with narrowed eyes. “Say it.”

“Isabel,” Maria repeated through her teeth, glaring at him. “But don’t go expecting us to be best friends. I doubt we have a thing in common, and I’m not really interested in being—”

She was cut off as Alex embraced her hard, saying, “Thank you.”

“Yeah, yeah. You’re wrinkling my coat.” But she didn’t sound angry. “I guess I better go. Liz obviously didn’t mean for me to meet her here, and we only have a half-hour before we have to be at the salon.”

She turned to leave, but was drawn up short as Alex cleared his throat loudly. She glanced over her shoulder. “What?”

He gave her a look, then nodded his head toward the room where Isabel was hiding. She breathed in sharply, ducking behind the cracked door as Maria’s gaze traveled over.

Apparently reading the intent in Alex’s gaze, Maria groaned. “Alex, no. I don’t want to…arrgh, fine! I’ll ask her if she wants to come,” she cried out, throwing her arms up.

Isabel heard footsteps approaching and hurried toward the bed, opening her book and pretending she’d been reading the entire time as Maria threw the door open.

She looked up and they stared at each other for a long, tension-filled moment, then Maria sighed. “Listen…I’m sure they could squeeze in another person. If you want to come along.”

Isabel was about to politely decline, thinking that she’d really rather eat nails then spend any alone time with Maria. Then she caught sight of Alex’s earnest expression behind his best friend, and bit back a sigh. He wanted so badly for them to get along, the least she could do was make an attempt.

She closed her book, offering Maria a guarded smile. “Thanks, I’d like that,” she answered coolly.

“Great!” Alex rubbed his hands together happily. “While you lovely ladies are gone, I think I’ll catch a nap. Need any money, honey?”

Isabel arched a brow. “I think I can handle it, darling.”

Something that sounded suspiciously like a snort came from Maria’s direction, but when Isabel glanced her way, her face was blank.

<center>***</center>

“I’m so glad Maria found you,” Liz was saying as they all sat in the salon later that afternoon, having their feet massaged with scented oils that sent Isabel into a relaxed state like no other.

“Mmm…this is so incredible. I haven’t had a decent pedi in so long,” Isabel sighed, sinking deeper into the plush chair as she curled her toes into the hot water.

“What, they don’t do them in LA?” Maria asked from beside her. There was a hint of sarcasm in her voice that made Isabel open one eye.

She smiled. “Yes, but they don’t massage feet,” she said pointedly, and was surprised when Maria laughed.

“Bet they’ll massage everything else, though. That sounds like heaven.”

“Where in the world is Tess?” Liz wondered aloud. To Maria she added, “Are you sure she said she had another way to get here?”

Maria shrugged. “That’s what she told me when I left the house. Oh, look, there she is.”

They all looked over to find Michael’s sister standing in front of the salon, standing extremely close to a tall boy with shaggy brown hair.

Isabel cocked a brow. “Who’s the cutie?” she asked, watching as the boy in question flicked a finger down Tess’s cheek, causing her to blush prettily.

“Kyle’s brother, Shon,” Maria answered with a smirk in her voice. “Can’t you tell?”

Isabel took a longer look, noting the similarities between the young man and Kyle. “Damn, the gene pool was kind to that family.”

“Amen, sister,” Maria chortled. “Tess has the biggest crush on him, but she’d never admit it in a million years. Too shy.”

“Shon has a huge crush on her, too,” Liz reminded. “And he’s definitely not shy.”

As if to prove her words, Shon pulled Tess into his arms and planted a kiss on her surprised lips that had all three women lifting their brows.

“Oh…oh, my,” Liz said faintly. “Definitely Kyle’s brother.”

“Would you look at that?” Maria breathed, grinning like a loon as Shon ended the kiss and waved at a completely bewildered Tess before turning and walking away. “That boy has balls. Well, that kind of goes without saying.”

They grew quiet as Tess entered, walking toward them as if in a daze. As she took a seat next to Liz, she finally looked up to see them all grinning at her.

To Isabel’s surprise, the rest of the afternoon passed without incident. Even she and Maria got along fairly well, although there was still a lingering tension that made things awkward when they were alone.

Which was why Isabel’s first reaction was a groan when Liz said she would drop Tess off back at home on her way to the bar to see Max. Leaving Maria and Isabel to make the ride back to Max’s together again.

“It doesn’t make sense,” Maria had protested, sounding as if she weren’t too excited by the prospect, either. “You, driving to my place and me driving to yours? Why not take Isabel with you?”

“I seriously doubt Isabel wants to help her brother clean out beer kegs,” Liz answered wryly. “I promised Max I’d help, but I’m not about to force it upon anyone else.”

Then she and Tess left, and Maria and Isabel stared at each other warily.

“So,” Maria began, twirling the car keys around her finger. “Do you really want to go back to Max and Liz’s?”

Unsure what she meant by that comment, Isabel hesitated. “I’m not really tired, no,” she admitted.

“Wanna get a drink? I know this seedy little bar just outside of town – it’s great. Nothing like To-Hell-You-Ride, but really cheap and awesome.”

Cheap and seedy. Just the description of a place she’d like to visit, Isabel thought in disgust. “I don’t know…”

“Oh come on, just one drink. Unless…it’s not high class enough for a socialite like you?” Maria sneered, twisting the proverbial knife in challenge.

Isabel stiffened. “Fine,” she clipped off, brushing past Maria and moving quickly toward the bar. “But you only get one drink, since you’re driving.”

“Fine.”

Twenty minutes later, they were inside a bar that reminded Isabel of something from a horror movie. Someplace where the victim stopped when his or her car broke down on a deserted highway, and the killer got their first good look at them.

The soles of her shoes stuck to the floor, making disgusting suctioning sounds every time she moved. The tables were clean, but dull and scratched.

Maria greeted the owner like an old friend, accepting a robust hug before immediately requesting a round of tequila shots. Isabel straightened, blinking slowly.

“I thought we were just going to get a beer or something,” she said nervously, toying with the beads that hung around her neck. “I don’t do hard liquor.”

“Why not? Afraid you might actually like it?” Maria wondered. “Just one shot, to cleanse the palate.”

And just like that, Isabel found herself throwing back limejuice and tequila quicker than she could blink. Maria cheered her on, making her feel incredibly proud of herself. She did two more in a row before turning to Maria.

Hiccupping slightly, she said, “Your turn.”

Maria shook her head. “Oh, no. I did one. I’m driving, remember? But help yourself.”

“Think I will,” Isabel giggled, feeling loopy as she reached for the small shot glass. “Excuse me, sir! Would you mind?” She waved the glass drunkenly. “Alex is going to die when he finds out about this.”

Maria watched her closely, green eyes gleaming in the dim lighting as Isabel sucked her lower lip between her teeth.

“What are you looking at?” Isabel demanded.

“You’re not as tough as you pretend to be, are you?” Maria asked. “The whole Ice Bitch Princess thing…it’s a total front. You’re really just a softy.”

“I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

“Why do you act like such a bitch then?” Maria questioned, completely ignoring her comment. Isabel felt her hackles beginning to rise.

“Why do you?” she snapped, wobbling slightly in her chair.

“Because I am one,” Maria answered, amusement coloring her tone and expression. “But you’re not. Not really, anyway. I admit you had me fooled for awhile…but anybody who gets that goopy look on their face when talking about a goof like Alex Whitman can be all that bad.”

She wasn’t sure, but that sounded like an insult. “And just what’s wrong with Alex?” she asked in annoyance. “He’s goofy, yes. But he’s incredibly sexy and funny and he—” She trailed off as Maria grinned widely. “What?”

“Yup, you’re really and truly hooked aren’t you? That’s good, because he is, too.”

Isabel blinked at the satisfaction in her tone. Unable to resist, she said, “Are you sure I didn’t brainwash him?”

Maria winced. “You heard all that, huh?”

“Yes, I did. You really are a bitch, you know.”

Maria’s face registered surprise, and then she laughed out loud. “You know, Alex was right about you. There’s definitely more than meets the eye.”

“About time you realized it.”

“Yeah, well, he’s my best friend. Him and Liz, both. If it makes you feel any better, I put Max through his paces, too.”

Isabel cracked a smile. “Does this have anything to do with burning his shirt?”

“How’d you know about that?” Maria blinked. “No, that was an accident, actually.”

Isabel smirked, bringing a glass of water to her lips. “If you say so.”

“Listen, try not to barf inside of my car when we leave, okay?”

“Is that your warped way of asking if I want to be friends?” Isabel wondered.

Maria just smiled. “How’d you know?”

<center>***</center>

She entered Max’s house nearly an hour later, holding onto Maria’s arm as they giggled together. She knew she was beyond smashed, but the sight of two Alex’s jumping up from the couch still managed to make her burst out laughing.

“Hello, honey,” she said to the first Alex, then looked at the second. “Hello, honey.”

Maria seemed to think this was hilarious, although Alex simply stared at her with wide eyes.

“Where have you two been?” he demanded sternly, looking at Maria with accusation. “Is she drunk?”

Maria mimed zipping her lips. “I promised not to tell,” she answered solemnly.

“Don’t you dare tell him I’m drunk!” Isabel cried out.

Alex appeared pained, although a semblance of humor was lurking in his eyes. “I think it’s time to go to bed, sweetie,” he said gently, sending Maria a look. “Remind me to either kill or thank you tomorrow, depending on how this turns out.”

Maria saluted him. “No problemo, boss.” She turned to leave, then looked back at the last second. “Oh, and Alex? You were right about her. She’s not so bad.”

Isabel ignored Alex’s shocked expression, grabbing him by the collar and dragging him into the guest room. Careful not to awaken Max or Liz in the next room, she started ripping at his clothes and biting his lower lip. “I am so drunk,” she admitted with a whisper. “And I really want you.”

“Uh…okay,” he managed, taking hold of her hands to still their progress to the fly of his pants. “Give me a second to catch up.” He paused, and then said, “Okay. I’m caught up.”

With that, he lifted her in his arms and tossed her on the bed. She bounced once, and then he was on top of her, kissing her hungrily as she went back to work ridding him of his clothes.

“Hurry, hurry, hurry!” she whispered, giggling as he made a strangled sound deep in his throat and tore her shirt over her head. “Alex, you’re making me so hot!

“I hope you’re serious,” he muttered, then drove himself inside of her with a groan. “Geezus…what did Maria do to you, baby? Wait…why do I care?”

Their coupling was hot, frantic and extremely satisfying. When it was over, Isabel lay sprawled on top of him, playing with the sparse hair covering his chest. When she spoke, her voice was thoughtful.

“Alex, do you really like New Mexico?”

He glanced down at her, perplexed. “It’s all right, I guess. Why?”

“Do you like Colorado?”

“Yes…?”

“Good,” she snuggled up close to him. “Because I want to live here. Screw the wedding plans…let’s just do it on valentine’s Day and be done with it.”

Alex’s mouth opened in shock, then he smiled. “You’re on. You do realize what this means, don’t you?”

“Hmm?”

“I’m gonna have to find a job.”

She snorted, then stilled as her leg brushed against a wet spot on the sheets. She leaned down, sniffed it, exchanged a look with Alex.

They both rolled their eyes and shouted, “Bad, Jesse!”

THE END.
Itzstacie
Forum Moderator

Re: Love is Like a Cabbage (AU,MATURE,A/I) (COMPLETE)

Post by Itzstacie »

bump