A Kiss to Build a Dream On (CC K/T, Adult) (COMPLETE)

This is the gallery for the winners of the fanfic awards to show off their fics, and their banners!

Moderators: Itzstacie, Forum Moderators

PML
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: A Kiss to Build a Dream On (CC K/T, Mature) Part 9- 01/08/10

Post by PML »

Thanks again to everyone following along this little story.

Earth2Mama- Thanks. We'll see the whole confrontation when we rejoin Tess. Isabel isn't so far gone as to strike down Tess at school. But her composure is definately cracked.

chanks_girl- Thanks. It is going to be nearly impossible for Tess to give up Kyle. Think how hard it was for either Max or Liz to truly let go. They always kept coming back, even against their own best advice. It will be as bad for them at this point.

And I agree, if the girls can keep from killing each other, this would be a good point to try to understand the other.

jake17- Thanks. Tess will pay at some point for that. Both Tess and Isabel are very vulnerable. It is mid December. Tess has been captured and tortured three times in the last two months. Isabel has found out her traitorous past, was captured and killed Whitaker. Christmas would have settled Isabel down, but its still more than a week away.

Tess is ready to warp Isabel if she has to, but is loath to do it unless her life is on the line. Because she knows where she stands in the group. And she does not want to leave Roswell. Not now. Isabel doesn't know how to read minds. She likely can mind rape, and maybe if really angry might do so. But at the moment, Isabel doesn't know how. Yet.

Aric should be about in a part or two. But will you recognize him. He is a shape shifter after all.

Disclaimer- Roswell is not mine and no infringement is intended.

A Kiss to Build a Dream On part 10

Kyle-

Kyle was totally confused this morning.

His popularity, which had been tanking this year due to his feeling so different lately. He just couldn’t fit in as well with his old friends. And when they found out he was Buddhist…..

Yeah.

But this morning he was the golden boy again. It felt nice. Strange but nice.

Of course, the reason was totally bizarre. And to be honest Kyle was kind of afraid of his life.

Who would kill him first? Max for besmirching his sisters good name? Or how about Michael? Michael might not be too happy that school gossip had Isabel sleeping with him.

Then there was Isabel herself.

Oh, God he was so dead.

Or rather he was very likely to meet his next incarnation very soon.

He denied it, of course. And you would think that would end it. Wasn’t it part of the whole teenager thing to up play your conquests? To brag about it?

Of course he had been seen at the Observatory last night with Isabel. Holding her very closely.

Comforting her over the loss of Alex. An Alex that seemed very close to Tess.

So his friends now believed him that his feelings for Tess had changed.

It was Malamoot who asked if it was open season on Tess.

Kyle’s reaction stunned even him. “No. And if you touch her, I will find you. And you will wish you had never been born……”

He had said it in such a calm and even tone. He had not expected the fear.

Malamoot’s eyes widened, “Uh, sure thing. I’ll uh, leave her alone. I need to go grab a book from my locker.” He turned to go.

“Malamoot, your locker is right there.”

He paused and shook his head, “Oh, um, yeah. Thanks.” Malamoot opened his locker and fetched a book. When he turned around he reached into his pocket for his wallet. “Here’s that twenty I owe you from yesterday. Uh, see you later.”

Kyle was perplexed as Malamoot hurried away.

He heard behind him in a voice colder than the depths of space, “Don’t you all have something else to do?”

An angry Isabel flanking an irritated Tess.

Kyle couldn’t help a smirk for as his fellow students found themselves walking away from the scene. Kyle felt Tess’s gaze flash across his.

There was a timeless moment when his body felt full of warmth. Memories flooded into him, impossible memories.

Memories of Tess. Memories of her crying his name in ecstasy as she writhed in abandon beneath him. The taste of her lips, the feel of her hands, her nails raking across his back……

“Hey, Kyle. You alright?”

Kyle looked up with a flushed face at Vicky.

And the memories went away. He felt only a sudden soul deep lack.

Kyle looked down the corridor after Tess. She had long since passed from his view. But you could draw a line to her, standing in front of the infamous Eraser Room on the second floor.

He didn’t know it, but he was bonded to her. And the thought that she could and would never be his, ever was filling him with despair.

He felt suddenly cold and empty. His eyes were empty as he looked up at Vicky.

She took a step back. “Sorry, I…..” She shook her head. “Okay, what is wrong? Is it Isabel? The bitch twisting your heart like yarn? I thought you were smarter than that, Kyle. I want you to be happy.” She kissed him lightly on the cheek.

“It’s not Isabel. Buddha wept, why won’t anyone believe me that nothing happened!”

“Hey, Kyle.” Vicky took his chin and forced him to look her in the eye, “I believe you.”

Kyle mumbled thanks.

“Okay, Kyle. Here is what is going to happen.”

“Vicky, I’m fine.”

“No, Kyle, you’re not. Anyone with eyes can see that. Now if Tess can’t see what a good catch you are, than that is her loss. Tonight, it’s you and me, and we’ll paint the town red just like she did yesterday. A little dinner, some dancing, and maybe a little fun under the stars…. Doesn’t that sound nice.”

“Vicky, I….”

Vicky’s eyes were tearing slightly, “Please. I, I don’t want to be alone. Tomorrow is his birthday, and I, I…..” She broke into tears.

Kyle held her. “I’ll go. Don’t worry, you’ll get over him, Vicky. The bastard wasn’t worth your time.”

“Hey, Valenti, you really get around.” Michael said, “Your other two girlfriends are going at it in the Eraser Room. I’m sure they’d just love you to join.” Followed by a loud grunt as a tiny fist slammed into his stomach.

“Michael! How can you say that about all your friends. Uh, hey Vicky.” Maria paused and took a closer look. Her gaze became very hard.

Vicky just sniffled slightly and wiped her eyes.

Michael had his patented smirk as he took it all in.

Maria walked up to Vicky and with one hand brushed lightly on one cheek.

Vicky hissed in pain.

Maria’s glare turned to Kyle. It was an ominous grumble, “If you had anything to do with this, Valenti, I swear…..”

Vicky shook her head, “No, Kyle would never do anything like that.”

Maria looked at Vicky. “That bastard is a dead man. Vicky, follow me.” She took one hand and started to pull her to one of the girl’s bathrooms. “I need details, girl.”

“Maria I just want to let it go, I mean its over and…..”

“And you think it’s okay for him to get away with this? To let some other girl get smacked around? No we nip this in the bud. And hard. When we get done with him….” Maria glared at Kyle and Michael, “What are you two grinning about? Men!” She kept dragging Vicky away by the arm.

“Doug is a dead man.” Kyle smiled. And he wouldn’t even have to break his pledge. It would be interesting to see what Maria came up with.

Michael grunted in assent. He then hit Kyle gently on the shoulder. “Come on, I’ve got something to show you.” Michael stalked off.

Kyle looked after Michael. Michael was calmly walking toward some of the faculty offices. A quick palm on the door and it was open.

There were times Kyle would kill for some of those powers.

Michael put one finger up to his lips and slipped into the dark room.

Kyle followed intrigued. He whispered to Michael, “You do realize, I don’t swing that way, right Guerin?”

Michael’s eyes glittered slightly, “Just thought you might want to listen in. And the next time you want to have a heart to heart, something more than a make out session…… Choose something other than the Eraser Room.”

“Why?”

Michael just smiled and raised his palm up, a slight glowing flicker.

And Kyle could hear them. Like he was in the same room.

Tess’s voice came in loud and clear, “…and I love him so much. I just wish, I wish I could keep him.”

Isabel sighed, “I know. But we can’t. It’s just not safe. Or fair. They should get to live their lives unencumbered by this damn destiny of ours.”

“What about Grant?”

“I like him. I do. But, well, honestly it’s just physical.”

“How far have you gone?”

“Not as far as you and Kyle….. You say he can’t remember any of it?”

“No. And it hurts, Isabel. It hurts.”

“That he doesn’t remember? You are warping him after all…..”

Tess‘s voice was ragged, slowly working its way to a wail. “No. That I have to take it all away. That I, that I can’t tell him I love him and show him and keep him…..” Tess began to sob.

Kyle’s head was spinning.

Tess…. Loved him?

Memories raced through his skull and Kyle collapsed.
PML
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: A Kiss to Build a Dream On (CC K/T, Mature) Pt 10- 01/15/10

Post by PML »

Thanks again to everyone following along. And thanks to everyone for all the nominations. I'm actually kind of staggered by it.

chanks_girl- Thanks. The confrontation will take place during Kyle's POV next part. The poor guy has got a lot to think about. Remember, he knows that Tess has been mind warping him and that they have made love before, but how does he seperate reality form the dreams he's also undoubtably had.

Earth2Mama- Thanks. Partly because she understands.... She's been dreamwalking Alex. And to do more than just dance.

Kyle will be okay, but he'll need a bit of a breather because of the regained fragments of memory.

jake17- Thanks. We'll see what Kyle will do with his POV next part. This one covers the rest of Isabel and Tess's confrontation. But yeah, not an easy way to find out.

stockman- Thanks. As for Michael, what makes you think it was a favor for Kyle? It was a down payment on his revenge on Isabel and Tess. That it found out so much more than either of them expected, well.....

The thing about their confiding in Alex and Kyle respectively, is that both of them see the other as a safe option. BOth of them are loyal and know how to keep their lips sealed tight. Saying that Tess and Isabel have trust issues is an understatement. The problem with confiding in the one they love is that that person can hurt them so much more deeply than either of them believe they can stand. And so they choose the safe option. To start with.

Kyle has a lot to think about. And you are right in a way about Isabel. You will see in this part.

killjoy- this part finishes up Isabel and Tess, you will have Kyle's confrontation with Tess in Kyle's POV.

A Kiss to Build a Dream On part 11

Tess

Tess looked up at the taller blonde hybrid. She had not expected compassion. Not really. Not from Isabel.

But then, in some ways there were in the same boat.

Tess tilted her head slightly and thought of the answer. Did Tess think Kyle remembered any of it?

Tess softly sighed and said, “No. And it hurts, Isabel. It hurts.”

“That he doesn’t remember? You are warping him after all…..” Isabel ran a hand through her hair and shifted position.

Tess‘s voice was ragged, slowly working its way to a wail. “No. That I have to take it all away. That I, that I can’t tell him I love him and show him and keep him…..” Tess began to sob.

“Oh, Tess….” Isabel hugged her, “I know, our lives just suck. Both of us want someone we know we can’t keep. At least you’ve been with him, all I’ve ever gotten were a few stolen kisses and….” Her mouth shut with an almost audible click.

Tess looked up at a blushing Isabel.

Tess didn’t think the girl could blush. But then if she was so off balance her powers were out of sorts, maybe she had lost some of her self control in that regard too. Tess felt her lips move into a wry smile. “So. I’m not the only one using their powers…. Am I?”

Isabel pulled away and wrapped her arms around herself. “I was just curious what it would be like. With Alex, I mean. Grant has been, well I don’t want to say impatient, but he’s been pushing for more intimacy and…..”

“Is, you should totally drop that guy. He is just so much older than you. Can’t you see he is just using you? Maybe you should think of someone closer to your age, for real I mean. Those dream walks of yours can’t be quite as…. Stimulating.”

“Oh, you would be surprised just how, uh, stimulating they can be. Luckily Max just thought it was a nightmare.”

Tess had to laugh at that, “I take it you found it pleasurable.”

“I haven’t been able to look Alex in the eye for more than a week. And then you invite him out to go to Jan’s Christmas Party…. And I don’t know, something inside of me just, just went kind of crazy. I mean I know I can’t have him. Not for real. Our lives are too dangerous. It would be better if they weren’t involved with us at all. But the thought of another…..”

“Why do you think I am going to that party? Vicky asked Kyle and well, I needed someone.”

“Alex.”

“Yes. He said he would, but only if he got to know me better.”

“Why?”

“Because he’s just a really good guy. He really just wanted to learn more about me. And then well our confrontation. I mean, I had just planned on dinner. Maybe some Miniature Golf or something. But, well, I remembered what you told me about him…..”

“Dancing. He’s good. You have got to give him that.”

“Oh, I agree. It was a magical night, and I just wanted to see…..”

“So you kissed him. And?” There was a tiny trace of fear in Isabel’s voice.

“Nothing. Oh, he’s a decent kisser. He did kiss back after a moment, probably trying to see if it was normal. But there is a spark with Kyle…..”

Isabel looked away.

“And he said there was one with you.” Tess looked at the taller girl much more closer, and with more than just her eyes. Could she already be…. “Isabel?”

“What?”

“Where is Alex?”

Isabel’s eyes flicked unconsciously down and slightly to the left. “How should I know?”

Tess nodded slightly to herself. Right towards Alex’s fifth period classroom. Probably just a nascent Bond. One that Isabel had probably been fighting all summer and into the fall.

Isabel might not even fully realize what was going on.

How would she react if Tess told her? Told her that the alien part of her was claiming Alex as her mate? That it was based off of emotional commitment rather than merely physical intimacy.

Although that would follow. It would be inevitable.

Tess knew that well enough.

It could develop the other way too. “And Grant Sorenson?”

Isabel’s puzzled gaze didn’t waver. “What are you talking about?”

Tess nodded and closed her eyes. Antarans trended to monogamy, the presence of the emotional bonds tended to insure it. But the biological pressures to suppress that bond, to go against that river of sentiment was also there.

And Isabel was Vilandra reborn. If anyone could fight against it, she could.

For a moment Tess was torn. Should she try to help Alex, help the bond bloom? It would make Isabel happier in the end, she was fairly sure.

Or should she ask how to resist the call to her soul that Kyle had set into her. And try to carry forth her plans for Destiny?

The choice was upon her. Continue as she had been. Or face off against Aric and struggle to keep Kyle. She felt a flurry of butterflies and knew what her choice was.

Kyle. She would choose Kyle.

So she turned and smiled up at Isabel. “I think you know, Isabel. If you were satisfied with Grant, would you have felt the need to Dream walk Alex? Particularly as more than just a friend?”

Isabel began to tear up, “But it is all wrong. He’s not supposed to be the one. I can feel that. That there is someone else I should be falling for and, and I can’t.”

“Michael. You are programmed to fall for him. But in this life he is your brother. Both of you care for each other, love each other. Just not the way that our creators devised.” Tess smiled. “And that is a good thing. We make our own destinies Isabel. I see that now.”

“Michael? Give me a break! I care for him, sure but not like that. Ugghh. We’d drive each other nuts.”

Tess nodded, “You’d look a lot like Maria and Michael. The only difference is you burn cold while she burns hot. Something probably like how you were on Antar. Of all of us, I think you have changed the most.”

“Do you remember a lot about us, about our lives?”

“Fragments of memories and impressions. But this much I know, you are a better woman as Isabel than you were as Vilandra.”

“How can you know that? I’m always afraid of her, that she will, will make me betray us all again. That I am, am evil.”

Tess nodded thoughtfully, “That is another reason you are keeping Alex at bay isn’t it? You are afraid of who you were.” Tess looked intently at Isabel, “Maybe it is a good thing our memories are so fragmented. It gives us a fresh chance. A new life. Isabel you are yourself. And we make our own fate. I see that now.”

“But what is some day Khivar comes. And he pulls on the part of me that, that…..”

“And you think that waiting uncommitted will help that if and when he comes to claim you? That waiting for him to claim you will somehow help you? The very part of you that you fear is making you act that way. Even if you and Alex never truly Bond. Even if it doesn’t last. You will know, and you will not regret and watch bitterly as someone finally realizes what he could be to them.”

Isabel was crying now, but there was a light in her eyes. A tiny touch of hope.

Tess smiled. She could feel a change in the air. Isabel had finally accepted her. Truly accepted her. Not just the grudging acceptance that Tess had so desperately held onto, the friendship with reservations.

“So how about we blow off the rest of the school day and grab some coffee. And talk about our new lives, new improved lives, that we are going to live.”

Isabel shrugged. “Okay. There’s nothing important in my last two classes I can’t miss. And after school I can call Alex.”

“Hey I still need him for Friday!”

“Then how about we do a double date on Saturday. Both of us clear the air with our respective others and get on with our lives.”

“Sounds like a plan. They’ll never know what’ll hit them. I suggest that we take separate cars on this double date. I feel that our little group will want to split at some point for, well…..”

Isabel grabbed Tess’s arm and they went out to fetch coffee.

Everything was looking up.

So why did Tess feel the slightest sense of impending doom?
PML
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: A Kiss to Build a Dream On (CC K/T, Mature) Pt 11- 01/23/10

Post by PML »

Thanks to everyone following along.

Earth2Mama- Well Kyle's reaction in this part is a little different than you are likely expecting. To be honest, it is different from what he was expecting, which was more in line with your expectations.... Is that clear? :lol:

That doesn't mean it won't get ugly. Because it still might, because you are right. Both Kyle and Alex have been wronged and there needs to be an accounting.

chanks_girl- Well the ultimate resolution to this whole situation might be nasty, but what happens in this part won't be. Well not that type of nasty anyway.

Poor Kyle is so confused at the moment.....

killjoy- Yes it could. But it won't in this part. Just remember that this is not the end of the story.

Disclaimer- Roswell is not mine and no infringement is intended. A quote is used from EOTW.

A Kiss to Build a Dream On part 12

Kyle-

Kyle stared blearily at the doctor who was rattling off a demand that he take better care of himself.

Kyle was confused. The last few hours were almost a blank. The last thing he remembered was Tess voice saying that she loved him.

How had he gotten here?

Not a question he was about to ask the good doctor, lest he be whisked away . Because there really was something wrong with him. He was certain about it.

But it was not a normal thing. It was an alien bewitched type thing and he wanted it to stop.

Except there was a part of him that wanted to sink deep into the sensation and…..

It was Tess. He could sense her.

Oh, she wasn’t close. That made it worse, the fact that he knew that she wasn’t nearby. But Kyle was certain that if you asked him where she was, he could point. And he would be right.

And that she loved him.

Which was great. Better than great. Exceeds all expectations level of great. Except that his last hazy memories were that she had been confessing to Isabel of all people that she had essentially used him. Had mind blowing sex with him and then TOOK IT ALL AWAY from him.

And not just once, but multiple times.

A brief flash of very intense emotions and sensations flooded through him.

Memories. Real memories. He really had held Tess, really had made love to her.

Whatever she had done to him was starting to come undone. And it was wrecking his ability to concentrate.

The doctor left, saying something about blood tests. And a prescription he needed to pick up at the desk on his way out.

Kyle shook his head trying to focus. He had to get home. Had to confront Tess. Had to make her stop.

He started to get dressed when the air suddenly seemed very thick. Like he couldn’t breathe.

Kyle rushed to the mirror and stared in horror.

His face was gone. Just gone.

He couldn’t breathe because he didn’t have a nose or mouth.

His hands rubbed all across his face to see if…..

The mirror rippled. That was the only way he could describe it.

It rippled and tiny fine cracks were woven across it. Cracks too small to see.

But Kyle knew they were there.

He could feel them.

And his face was back. He just stood there, staring at his face and gulping in air. Sweet precious air.

This needed to STOP….

Whatever Tess was doing to him was destroying his sense of reality.

And it had to stop. One way or another, it had to stop.

He walked on out, vaguely worried that he had apparently driven himself here with no recollection of the event. Kyle debated whether to call someone to pick him up or just go home.

Go home and have a little chat with Tess Harding. She had a lot of explaining to do.

So he drove home. And nothing odd happened. In fact he felt perfectly normal.

Or as normal as it was possible to feel with butterflies building in his stomach as he neared his house.

She was home. Tess was home. Home and waiting.

Waiting for him.

Two quick sprays of something to sweeten his breath. He felt a nervous energy build in him. He had to remember he was here to ARGUE with her.

His body was having other ideas.

Still he couldn’t stop himself from admiring her curled up on the couch. She was sipping something from a mug. Hot chocolate with extra sugar, or some awful coffee mixture.

She was just so damn beautiful. Even wrapped in his blanket staring at the TV, absently nibbling at one of her golden locks that swept around her face.

He tried to keep his voice grim, but he couldn’t help a trace of huskiness, “Tess. We need to talk.”

She turned to face him. Buddha save him, her eyes so blue. A myriad of emotions flashed across her face. He didn’t catch them all, but he did catch guilt….. Guilt and desire.

Tess Harding wanted him. Loved him.

And was a mind warping alien witch.

Whom he thought he just might be in love with. Despite her use of him as a sex toy.

Oh, hell, what was he saying. He didn’t object to that part at all.

What was that saying? To trim the lamp of wisdom we must attend to our bodily needs.

And apparently she had been attending to both of theirs.

But he wanted those memories back!

A swirl of flashes of him holding her, of him being with her. He stumbled slightly as an echo of a mind shattering orgasm swept through him.

He couldn’t help the desire roaring through him. He needed her. Right now.

Except…. How much of this was actually him? How much was him and how much of it was her twisted alien powers?

Tess’s cheeks flushed slightly. She opened the blanket as if she were suddenly too warm. “What did you want to talk about?”

“I know what you have been doing to me. And it has to stop, Tess. As in now.”

Kyle felt as if the world had suddenly shifted. As if he were almost ready to drown in sorrow.

The passion and desire did not decrease. He could still feel like he was being drawn in to her. His eyes drinking in her perfection.

Imagining how she would feel in his arms. Only knowing that his imagination was powered by reality. That he had held her.

And the thought of not being able to do it again, of not being able to touch her. Anxiety flooded into him. Fear that she might suddenly disappear, that this dream, this nightmare of sorts would end.

And she would go with it.

She gazed back up at him, her eyes brimming with tears. “I’m so sorry, Kyle. I never wanted to hurt you, I, I….”

Kyle was now close enough to touch her.

And he did, one finger brushing through the tears, the rest of them joining to softly brush and caress her cheek.

Her skin was warm to his touch. Her cheeks flushed and her eyes slightly dilated.

He felt a bit warm himself.

Why was he here again?

One of her little hands was on his arm caressing it. Little traces of electric fire flooded through him at her touch.

He needed her. Right now.

His other arm snaked behind her and lifted her up to him. Close enough to kiss.

“I am so sorry Kyle, I promise that I won’t do it again. It’s just so hard to stop.”

Yes it was.

Where ever Tess was touching him there was a fire that was consuming his rationality. Even her legs brushing against him as she tried to stand sent trickles of passion roaring through him.

It was made worse by a new sensation. He could feel Tess. Not just her touching him, but him touching her. And the effect that his touch was having on her.

He knew with the last shreds of reason that if he didn’t let go right this second he was lost. Totally screamingly lost.

And at the moment he frankly didn’t care.

So instead of letting go, he kissed her. And she kissed back.

It was like a nova going off in his head. And he needed more and more and more and…..

For flashes were pouring into him. Not just echoes of his own lost memories. But her. Tess.

And while his conscious mind was ignoring them in favor of the sheer pleasure he was having in their foreplay. In the long build up he could feel inside of her. He probably knew more about her, about the real Tess Harding than he had known from the months she had stayed with them.

You can not hide who and what you are at that level of connection. And you either accept or reject them.

Kyle did not reject Tess.

The long road they had been building toward was complete. For good or ill, they were a Bonded Pair.

And the Valenti house was full of sighs and moans and giggles……
PML
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: A Kiss to Build a Dream On (CC K/T, Mature) Pt 12- 01/30/10

Post by PML »

Thanks to everyone following along. I should warn you, this part is kind of dark. Things go very very wrong.

Hope you enjoy.

chanks_girl- Thanks. It wasn't so much a confrontation as both of them just flowing into each other. They still have some fairly serious trust issues to deal with. And what happens here will not help.

Earth2Mama- thanks. No poor Kyle is so confused. and the warps are not helping matters any. But she didn't warp him into sleeping with her. Oddly enough that part seems to come natural for good ole Kyle. They have some issues, serious trust issues to deal with. And as I noted above, in this part everything goes wrong.

jake17- thank you very much. Nope, poor Kyle is sunk where Tess is concerned. He's still angry, or he is when he is thinking straight. and she meant what she said. It is not going to help, but she was sincere.

A/N - should I change the header to adult? I'm neve quite sure where the line lays.

A Kiss to Build a Dream On part 13

Tess

Tess lay there on her bed basking in the afterglow.

Kyle was in the shower. He still had that date with Vicky. He had wanted to cancel, to spend his time with Tess.

Tess had said no. That Vicky was a friend and needed him. It might happen that she might want more that Kyle could give her. Well if it did then Vicky would just have to accept that he was Tess’s.

Which he was.

Sort of.

He was actually kind of mad at her. And wanted all the warps removed.

That was not going to be an easy task. Oh, she had thought it would be simple, but the layers and layers interweaved so intricately with his own thoughts…..

It was going to take time. She didn’t want to hurt him.

Tess sighed as the last of the euphoria left her. She was going to have to talk to Max too. Not only to apologize for all the hell she had put him through, but also to ask for his help.

Something was strange about Kyle. Not bad as far as she could tell, but there were some strange things going on in his head.

Things she had made worse by her constant meddling over the last few weeks.

Maybe Max would understand what she was seeing. Or Isabel, or someone. Because Kyle was becoming the most important thing to her.

It wasn’t the Bond. She had a fairly good grasp on that. And it was wonderful.

Even Kyle thought so. He was pretty wierded out by it, but still.

He loved her. He really did.

She didn’t think she’d ever had someone love her before. Certainly not in this life, quite likely not in the last. It was a dizzy scary feeling that made her feel wonderful.

She could feel Kyle lingering in the shower. Thinking of her if she had a guess.

Their argument after their first bout of sex had been sharp and painful. He had gotten flashes from her, flashes that had told him in no doubt what she had done to him.

And Tess had not denied it. She had pleaded with him. Had begged him to forgive her.

But she had not taken the easy way out. She had not warped him. Had not used her powers on him.

Because that was something both she and Kyle had feared. That his emotions weren’t solely his, but something that Tess had planted and manipulated. Much like she had manipulated him last year.

That was another reason Tess had wanted him to go out tonight. To give him a little time to think. And if he needed to talk with Vicky, ask her advice, Tess said that was okay.

Just to keep all the alien madness out of it.

Yeah, it was hard, but Kyle needed some space to think it through.

Not that it had stopped them from a second round of love making. And this time Kyle had been fully aware of all the past they had shared between them. Of why he knew Tess’s body so well.

The Bond had added an extra edge to the whole proceeding. Both of their bodies and minds in synch and while it hadn’t been perfect it had been close.

She sent her mind pulsing through the house. Good the Sherriff wasn’t home yet.

She rolled off the bed and stripped off the sheets. She caught a glimpse of herself in the mirror. And smiled.

She had always known that she was a beauty, but to see what Kyle saw in her. To see how it affected him so…..

Her lip curled into a smirk. Those magazines were history. If he really needed something to gaze at she would make him a magazine of just her.

That should get his engine running.

But first, clean up. She tossed the linens in the washer, careful not to turn it on.

She was trying to be nice to Kyle at the moment.

She was almost back into her room when she saw him. Aric just scowling at her with utter contempt.

Tess had never been a prude or body modest, but she couldn’t help but try to cover herself under that gaze. Her eyes caught sight of Kyle’s shirt, flung early on during their first fling. But she was afraid to move. Somehow that gaze made her feel tiny and weak and powerless.

“Don’t say a word. Not one word unless I ask you a question. Do you understand Tess?”

Tess nodded fearfully.

“I’ve been watching you Tess. For days. Hoping that you would get over this stupid crush you have for this simpleton. That you would remember your duty. Instead I find you rutting with your human lover, like some worthless animal.”

Tess opened her mouth to argue.

Aric closed the gap and with one hand lifted her body up by the throat.

Tess’s hands struggled and tried to remove his hands from her throat, but he was too strong. Simply too strong.

She lashed out with her powers…. And nothing.

Nasedo’s other hand rolled down her body, a slow caress along her right shoulder. He cupped her breast and twisted the nipple roughly. “Concerned only with your own needs and pleasures. So ready to give up on your sacred duty to Antar. To the loyalty you swore to Zan. To be true only to him for all of eternity.”

Tess whimpered and struggled to breathe. She could feel Aric using his powers on her, his touch bring both pleasure and extreme pain….

She longed to cry out for Kyle. For him to come rushing in to save her.

Only she knew what would happen.

Kyle would be killed almost immediately.

The thought of Kyle dead, of his life ended, brought more pain to her than any refined torture that Aric could conceive of.

“Are you only an animal Tess? Are you truly able only to follow your sluttish impulses and lay with any man who brings you pleasure?” Aric’s left hand reached her thighs and brushed against her sex.

She felt as Aric’s powers stimulated her, her back arching in a mix of searing pleasure and pain.

How she wished there was some transcendent being that could smite this evil that held her. That some force could destroy him.

There had been a time when Tess had thought she had hated Liz Parker.

Aric continued, “Because you see that is my conundrum. I thought you were a useful tool. That I could trust that you would do what you were made for. But I’m no longer sure.”

And her worst fears came true.

“Tess?” came Kyle’s confused voice. “Are you okay?”

Tess could feel herself blacking out. How she wished she could tell him to just stay inside the bathroom. That Aric might leave him alone.

Tess didn’t actually believe that. But the thought that at least Kyle might live was the only drop of hope she had left. She certainly was about to die.

She could vaguely make out Aric’s face through the growing spots in her vision. It was not a pretty expression.

Aric flung her across the room.

Tess slammed hard against the wall. She just lay there in the deepest part of hell as she recovered. For she could hear fighting in the background. And the sounds of pain being inflicted.

She used every bit of her force of will to stand up. To stand up and fight for Kyle. Fight for her love.

She stood and raced over to save him. Only to be smacked firmly in the cheek by Aric, hard enough to be flung to the ground.

When she regained her feet, Aric held Kyle suspended against a wall with his powers. Kyle’s wild eyes sought out hers. And when their eyes met, they knew that they would not survive this.

But that they would die together. And that maybe, in another life…..

Aric turned to her, “So what should I do to this adulterer? On Antar, the sentence would be death. Particularly for making the King a cuckold. But then he is merely human. Just an animal. One of which you seem inordinately fond of. So perhaps we should just geld him. He certainly wouldn’t be able to defile you anymore. In fact maybe it would be best if you castrated him. Surely that would earn a level of leniency in your own Court hearing. Unless you truly wished to be dipped in tar and set on fire?”

“Let him go.”

“Why? This is so much fun. Unless you are ready to do what you were actually made for. To bear heirs to the Iridium throne.”

“I will do anything. Just let him go.”

“Well, my princess, I never knew you were capable of anything approaching compassion. Truly I must have made some sort of mistake in your upbringing. Such weakness can only compromise you.”

“Just let him go.”

“And you will do your duty and obey?”

“Yes.”

Aric smiled. “Understand you are purchasing only a reprieve for him. If I ever so much as suspect that you are going against your duty……”

“You will kill him.”

Aric’s smile grew broader. “Oh, no Tess. Nothing that simple. I will destroy him. In the end he will beg for death.”

Kyle’s face pleaded with her to say no. To not let Aric win.

“I will do what you say. I will do my duty.”

Aric’s face turned serious. “Very well. Repair the damage this little fight wrought. Crush any feelings that this human may have for you. Make him all but forget you.”

“Yes sir.”

“And when you are done, you will pack your belongings. I certainly can’t have you living here.”

“But where will I go?”

“The Evans. This set up obviously has an advantage. He won’t be able to resist you if you are always around him. Seduce him like you did the Valenti boy. Appeal to his human animal nature. You seem to be good at that.”

“Yes sir.”

“And Tess, any hint of disobedience or stinting in your duty and Kyle’s life burns.”

Aric left.

Only, Tess couldn’t be sure he was actually gone. There had to be a way….

No. She couldn’t risk it. She couldn’t risk Kyle.

And so as she healed him she wove a tight warp around the part of him that knew and loved her.

And crushed it.

The agony she felt as the pain and loss that rolled through Kyle rebounded inside of her steeled her to finish her task.

She had known that this reckoning was coming. But she had hoped that it would just wait just a little longer. That she could have love for just a little while.

But Tess Harding was duties slave, just as Ava had been.

Hours later, as she removed the last affect she had remaining at the Valentis’, she realized that she had truly never known what hate truly felt like. She did now. She hated Aric. Hated Destiny and all it stood for.

Her mouth curled into a familiar position of sour bitterness. And she drove off to her new home.
PML
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: A Kiss to Build a Dream On (CC K/T, Mature) Pt 13- 02/05/10

Post by PML »

Thanks again to everyone following along this story.

Earth2Mama- Thanks. Tess is in trouble, there is no doubt about that. Getting out of her situation is not going to be easy. But remember, that Aric is a shapeshifter. How can she be sure that she or Kyle is not under constant surveiliance and that he won't hurt Kyle if she does something counter to his orders? Just how much of a hero is Tess Harding anyway? Unfortunately this is Kyle's POV so what she will do is for next week.

Sorry.

chanks_girl- Thanks. Am I that predictable? Tess needs to figure out a way to save Kyle, because that is her sole concern at the moment. Keeping Kyle safe. We'll see what happens to her next week.

jake17- Thanks. The path from here depends on two things. How much does Tess think her podmates can help her and how much of a hero is she? Because she is in a scary situation that will take a lot of luck and moxy to make work out to a happy ending.

stockman- Thanks. Sorry. I really did consider that as a possiblily, that she could bluff her way out. But then it occured to me that Aric would want to watch what she was doing himself. That he would already be there. And yes, they are all in danger. One thing. Don't sell Kyle short.

We will catch up to Tess in the next part.

A Kiss to Build a Dream On part 14

Kyle-

Kyle stared up at the ceiling and wondered where everything had gone wrong.

The date with Vicky certainly had gone well. Both of them had avoided the little landmines that ensured that they would never be a peaceful couple, and talked about pleasant things.

Her sense of humor was just as funny. Her outtakes on her fellow members of the cheer squad and the jocks he hung out with were made only funnier by his acknowledgement of the essential truth of it all.

Vicky might come across as a blonde ditz, in fact in some ways she really was. But she wasn’t stupid nor was she blind. That she didn’t always live up to her own beliefs was equaled by the fact that he had yet to live up to his.

And it wasn’t like he could argue it. She knew his religion better than he did.

That had been one of the reasons they would never make it. The day would come when she would find her perfect Christian guy, marry him and pop out some devout Christian babies.

Until then she was going to enjoy her youth while she could. Which had meshed with what he’d wanted at the time. In fact it meshed up with what he thought he had wanted right now.

Only he couldn’t escape the feeling that he was missing something. Something important and precious. He kept stopping and looking around to see what he was missing.

Part of Kyle felt hollow. And he didn’t know why.

Still despite a nasty almost fight with Doug Hoag, the whole night had been very pleasant. Dinner and dancing. A good night kiss at Vicky’s doorstep. Her mischievous voice in his ear.

Her parents were in El Paso.

The two of them giggling as the crept into the dark house. A couple of beers later and some more kisses. And then her room. Her bed.

And.

And nothing. A big nothing.

It had been like he’d been fighting himself the whole time. His body tingling with awareness of her, full of excitement.

A growing sense of total wrongness. It had felt good and very wrong and unsettling all at the same time.

Then came the visions? Flashes? Kyle wasn’t sure. But they’d had a completely different girl. On that he’d thought about, but seriously had never considered ever since she had used him last year to taunt Max Evans.

No, there was no way that he could have such images in his head. Him and Tess Harding?

Impossible!

The girl wouldn’t even give him the time of day let alone…..

Kyle shivered in the remembered ecstasy those visions had promised him. Memories that could never be. That were simply impossible.

A tear rolled down his cheek. How he wished what he saw was true…..

And yet, here he was in the bed of a different girl. A girl he had liked. A girl he had a history with. And he had ruined the whole experience for both of them because of some stupid burst of imagination.

“You are finally awake. Good.”

“Vicky?” He looked over to where the voice came from. She was seated at her desk, wearing only a dressing gown, her hair still wet from a shower.

His eyes naturally peeked to see as much of her trim body that he could…. Only what was the point? He’d had that body under him, she’d been ready for him. Their foreplay far along…..

He’d had his opportunity and he had blown it. But he’d been so certain that he would rise to the occasion at any moment, that the sight and scent of Vicky would drive his passion, despite a certain lack of enthusiasm from within.

“You really scared me when you collapsed, Kyle. Your temperature spiked for a moment, and you just kept babbling and sobbing about it all being taken away from you. About how wrong being with me was, that you had betrayed her.”

“I said all that?”

“What happened between you and Tess anyway? I have to confess I asked you some questions while you were out of it. Not a lot of it made sense. And other bits…. Other things I’m going to have to think about. But Kyle, Tess, what happened between you and Tess?”

“Tess, as in Tess Harding? I, I don’t know. I….” Internally it was crunch time for Kyle Valenti. He had spurned this girl sort of. They’d been in the middle of the act and he’d gone all spastic. His rep was indelibly tarnished at West Roswell. They’d be laughing at him for years.

But even if he knew that he and Vicky were never meant to be, not as life mates, and apparently not even lovers anymore. He did like her. He did feel protective of her, and she was, well as a friend. As much of a friend as Liz and Maria had slowly become over the last year.

Like Isabel might be.

He liked her. As a person he liked her. But could he trust her?

In fact, if he’d been babbling, who knew how much he might have inadvertently let slip. He might have endangered them all in one moment of uncontrolled weirdness.

Could he trust Vicky Delany?

Yes. Kyle thought he could. Probably not with the whole alien madness, but maybe the craziness of what he’d just experienced. She’d been there after all.

Kyle shook his head, “As far as I know there isn’t anything between me and Tess. But, tonight, when I, when I…..”

“Started going crazy? It was kind of frightening Kyle. I won’t deny that. But at the same time, I was pretty sure you wouldn’t hurt me. I’ve always been able to count on that. Even when you act a little weird. Of course this whole night has been strange.” She shook her head. “You’ve been sending me mixed signals all night, you know? Like you both really, really wanted me, and that you didn’t. I thought you must be on a total rebound when I felt all those love marks on your body. That you and Tess had finally had your fling and broken off just as suddenly.”

“Love marks?”

“Kyle, your back is like totally scratched up. And not by these nails.” Vicky glared at her short fingernails. “And I almost stopped when I felt that hickey on your neck.”

Kyle felt along his neck. And looked at her strangely. “I don’t remember it being there.”

“Well it was. And then there were the scattered moments of lost puppy dome you would flash into all night. You would just wander around for a moment, like you were desperately looking for something. So what give, Kyle?”

“I am sorry about all of this, sorry that I ruined your night.”

“Well that’s okay. After I made sure you weren’t going to die, I finished myself off in the shower. And its not like I haven’t had to do that before with Doug. At least you got foreplay done right.” A slight bitter laugh, “and better yet, no bruises.”

“Why did you stay with him?”

She smiled softly, “No, we aren’t going to talk about me right now. We can talk about the weirdness in my life after we talk about the weirdness in yours. So, you and Tess?”

“As far as I know there is nothing between Tess and me…. But tonight when we were, when I totally lost it, I had these visions, these totally realistic visions of her. Of her and me. Together.”

“You kept begging for her to not take it all away. That she had promised. That you loved her. And to not take it away.”

How could he say anything without breaking at least a part of the secret the hybrids were hiding?

Vicky continued, “Look, I know that there is something strange about her. She’s like Max, Isabel and Kyle, isn’t she? She’s different?”

Kyle felt a thrill of fear soar through him. This was bad. Really bad. If Vicky could notice these things…..

Vicky looked at him sardonically, “Don’t worry, I would never have noticed. Pam on the other hand….”

They were totally doomed. Vicky was a spacey cheerleader. Pam was the school gossip. Except that if Pam knew…..

“Oh, the look on your face….. No, don’t worry, Pam has nothing against them. Quite the contrary. From what she’s seen, they are only trouble if someone bothers them. But she was pretty quick to spot some trends. Like last year, after your friends beat up Max. All of you started having the worst luck. How they pull off their pranks, well she doesn’t know and she’s not about to find out first hand. Besides no one would believe her. It not like they’re pod people”

“Pod people?”

“You know, aliens pretending to be human before they take over the earth.”

“Is this why you’re afraid to date Alex Whitman? You are afraid that Isabel Evans is some evil pod monster from space that will eat your eye balls if you so much as look at him cross wise?”

“Don’t be silly. She’s just a girl. A formidable scary girl. Besides she’s like all the Czechs, safe if you just leave her alone.”

“Czechs?”

“That is what Pam calls them. Don’t know why.”

They were really going to have to watch out for Pam Troy. And apparently Vicky as well. It was kind of scary how close they were.

Kyle shook his head, “Tess is just a girl. A beautiful girl, sure, but well outside of those visions or flashes….. I don’t know.”

“You loved her earlier on today, Kyle. You didn’t think you would ever be able to bridge the gap, but you loved her. I could tell.”

“Maybe. I don’t know. I just feel so confused.”

Vicky nodded. And yawned. “Well it is late and we both have school. Why don’t you take a quick shower before heading home? Will you be okay driving home?”

“I think so. But I could use some coffee. And I guess that shower wouldn’t be so bad.” Kyle rolled onto his feet. “And I’m sorry about tonight.”

Vicky shrugged, “Don’t think I’m letting you off the hook about this whole weirdness thing.”

“And you said you have something to tell me.”

She smiled, “Yep. If only I can be sure you won’t blab it all to our classmates if only because I’ll have blackmail material of my own.” She stripped off the sheets of her bed.

That seemed oddly familiar to him. Like something he should remember.

Kyle shook his head and took a quick shower. Afterwards he had a quick cup of coffee with Vicky and drove home.

The house was dark. His father had been on a late rotation lately. Kyle had barely seen him.

Everything there seemed perfectly in place and yet subtly wrong. Like there was something missing, something that had been taken away.

He went into his room and flopped onto his bed. He didn’t bother with the magazines beneath his bed. If a live naked Vicky wouldn’t do it for him, Busty Biker Babes was sure to pale.

The only problem was that there no sheets on his bed. He just shrugged and wrapped a blanket around him.

He was so very tired.

But even in his tiredness, he could feel that something was wrong. Something had been taken from him… Something precious.

And deep within him, even as he slept, an anger began to build.

It had no target yet. But Kyle would find it.

Yes he would.

He would find out what was wrong and fix it.

Or die trying.
PML
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: A Kiss to Build a Dream On (CC K/T, Mature) Pt 14- 02/13/10

Post by PML »

Another wonderful evening. Thanks to everyone reading along this story.

Earth2Mama- Thanks, and sorry. Just remember that Kyle and Vicky have a history. This will be Tess's POV, will she meekly accpet her Destiny?

Or will she fight back?

A Kiss to Build a Dream On part 15

Tess-

Tess’s dreams had been bitter and cold all night long.

To live without Kyle…. To let him go forever…..

She didn’t really know if she could do that. If she could survive the experience…..

A sudden flash of inspiration, one that she desperately wished she could follow. How did Liz manage? How could she keep going on, keeping herself even slightly involved, when as far as Tess could tell she was still desperately in love with Max.

And Tess knew that Kyle had not slept with her, that the whole thing had been a set up.

But why? Why had Liz done it?

Another flash of inspiration. Aric. It had to have been Aric. He must have done something. Something to convince the girl to give the boy of her dreams up.

She drove up into the school parking lot. The back of her SUV was still crammed with all of her stuff. She hadn’t been able to push herself into the Evans’ life quite yet.

That would be for after school.

She just wished she could be certain that she wasn’t being watched even now. How closely would he watch her? Did he have any devices spying on her?

Tess shuddered. She had always known he was powerful, but it had only been since New York that she had really ever feared him. Even once she had known him for the killer he was, she had always assumed that she was immune to his rages.

Last night had proved that tragically false.

She was glad of the cool weather allowing her to wear a turtleneck sweater. Tess could heal, but such deep bruising took time an effort. Particularly since she couldn’t directly see it.

Using powers on yourself in the mirror was just asking for trouble. It wasn’t like manipulating your make-up, although Isabel was much to blasé about the whole thing. Twist the chemical balance too much and you were looking at an instant allergy.

Tess sighed. Chalk it up to Vilandra’s superior molecular manipulation abilities. Tess was better at Isabel as long as thought was required, but what Isabel did without thinking….. Yeah, Vilandra was still in there.

Of the Four Royals, Ava had been the youngest and least trained. It was actually possible, that she as Tess knew more than she had as Ava.

She felt rather than saw the Mustang pull into school.

Kyle.

How she wished she knew what had happened last night. Had Tess succeeded in making Kyle forget her? Enough so that he would, would sleep with, with that cow.

She could feel her control slip. A control she needed to hold on to, no matter how badly broken up about this she was.

Right now, Aric thought that she was simply besotted and lustful towards Kyle. If he knew of the Bond, if he knew how much she really seriously loved the twit.

Tess shuddered. For Aric had visited her again in the night. He’d accepted that it would have been strange for her to rush into the Evans household. That it needed more subtlety.

But that hadn’t been why he’d been there.

He’d examined her. Made sure she was not pregnant or diseased. He had scanned ever inch of her. Made sure that none of Kyle’s ‘contamination’ might remain to affect the King.

Tess had felt so mortified in her short life.

How she wished that had been one of her nightmares. That it hadn’t happened. But Tess knew. She knew. The feel of his cold alien hands…..

Why had she never seen it, never felt it? That he was truly alien, that he was totally and horrifically inhuman?

Tess shuddered in memory.

How she wished she could turn away, could not watch as Kyle left his truck. But this would be one of the few times she would be able to see him today.

And she wanted every minute that she could savor.

Kyle got slowly out his car and looked around. As if he had lost something.

A surge of hope flew through her. He was looking for something.

For her.

And then a sudden feminine squeal. Vicky Delany rushed to Kyle’s car, and suddenly Tess knew how well the date had gone last night.

Tess felt anger and despair fill her as Vicky clung to Kyle. That date must have gone very well. Very well indeed.

Tess closed her eyes in grief as she watched her give him a quick peck on the cheek and lead him into school. She couldn’t watch as they walked in arm in arm.

Get used to it Tess. This is what Life will be. A cold and colorless marriage to Max. He desiring Liz and she Kyle.

WHY!

WHY did it have to be this way?

Why?…..

Tess opened her eyes just a moment more, bracing for more pain. But Kyle had stopped. Was staring at her.

Puzzled but he was staring right at her. And somehow their eyes met.

And she felt it. It was still there. Buried but still there.

Vicky’s wave was friendly at Tess as she dragged a still confused Kyle back into school.

Tess was now more confused than she ever thought she could be. Her heart was fluttering at the thought that Kyle still loved her deep down, but full of rage that Vicky had her and…..

Stop this Tess. Stop. Aric will know. Aric would kill Kyle if he knew how much she loved him.

A sudden sense of clarity and calm surged into her. Her moment was now. She could still change it all. Could still have Kyle back.

It was not too late.

But how? How could she get him back?

By stopping Aric. By making him accept that Destiny be damned, she was going to choose her own fate.

Preferably without dying. Or without Kyle getting hurt.

She needed help.

But who could or would help her?

None of the hybrids trusted her enough. Oh, she might be able to persuade Isabel or Max eventually. But that talk, that conversation risked everything.

Aric would be watching. Possibly watching for just such an attempt.

But they had to know.

Tess nodded slowly to herself. They needed to know for themselves as much as for her or Kyle. Aric was dangerous. And he would try to manipulate their lives to suit his vision of Destiny.

Tess watched as Liz and Maria chattered several dozen feet away towards school.

That raised another problem. Aric would be watching her, Tess. If she tried to talk to anyone, he might hurt Kyle. Or them for that matter.

But there was a way she could do it. She could mind warp someone. Make them see a vision of her in their heads.

For the first time she looked longingly at Liz. Liz would be able to deal with it. She could hold the secret and she could and would be able to come up with a plan to help Tess. Even if they did hate each other.

But Tess could no longer warp Liz. It had slowly gotten harder over the summer, to the point where Tess no longer even tried. Liz was as hard to reach as any of the hybrids. And now that they knew of her power, they were subconsciously blocking her.

She might be able to contact Isabel…. That was a possibility. But she had softer targets. Maria maybe.

No. She’d freak. She might be able to cope in the long run, in the short….. Not a risk Tess was willing to take.

Alex, it would have to be Alex. A sense of warmth flooded through her. She could trust him. More than Liz, he would be willing to help her. He wasn’t as fast with a plan or as fast on his feet, but he was just as smart as Liz in his own way.

Yes, that would be her best bet.

Tess only wished she could make it work both ways, so that they could talk. But she had never been good at receiving thoughts, only sending.

She closed her eyes and made her plan. She had her first class with him in third period. Tess was sure that she could have the most effective warp planned by then.

This had better work.

She wanted Kyle back.

In fact she was willing to accept nothing less than total victory in that matter. Kyle was hers and she was Kyle’s and that was the end of it.

Now to make it a reality.

One that they could all survive.

She opened her eyes and walked into school.

It was going to be an interesting day.
PML
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: A Kiss to Build a Dream On (CC K/T, Mature) Pt 15- 02/19/10

Post by PML »

And this part is a little early, but hey, why not? Thanks to everyone following along this story.

Earth2Mama- Thank you as always. Just remember that Tess doesn't really fully understand what she is doing to Kyle. To her it is sort of like a superpowered lie. Sure, its a bad thing and it complicates things. But its not like its going to seriously hurt anyone?

And she can't do this to the Podsters or even Liz. They are not immune, but they are hard to effect and it would be fairly obvious what is going on. Remember, she is under the impression she is under continuous surveillance.

As for Isabel's reaction.... Well lets hope she's in a forgiving mood? I mean it is possible, right? Right?

Killjoy- Thanks. No, she has no clue how badly these things can mess people up. And she can't talk to Alex, because she believes she is under continuous surveilliance. This way she can give a message to Alex and hope he goes to someone who can actually help her. She could also call out to one of the hybrids, but this might be noticed, as they would resist.

And to Tess, a mind warp is just a little lying. Not good, maybe, but not fatal either.

Disclaimer- Roswell is not mine and no infrignement is intended

A Kiss to Build a Dream On part 16

Kyle

This morning when he woke up, he worked his usual routine. Only something was wrong. Something was off about his room.

Oh, everything was where it was supposed to be. His magazines were untouched and all in place. Everything looked exactly like it should.

So why did it feel wrong?

Why did it feel like his room had stayed the same for much too long? It was winter and he still had his baseball paraphernalia out. Where were all the football magazines? He couldn’t remember letting all of his subscriptions to the various sports magazines expire, so where were they?

Kyle had always had a system, one that he’d followed for years. And it wasn’t like the Houston Astro’s had had all that great of a year. Certainly not one good enough for him to still have it all out.

It was like his room had gone into stasis sometime around September and just not changed.

The magazines were out by the couch. They were all there, and just flipping through them, he knew he had read them all.

But what were they doing all out here? Sure his dad liked to read them, but he always complained how they cluttered up the table. That was why Kyle kept them in his room.

And then there was the fact that everything was too clean.

He wouldn’t have noticed it except he was kind of wigged out about the whole missing magazine thing.

Kyle couldn’t say why, but it had his hackles rising on the back of his neck. Something was not right.

Something was very wrong. Very wrong and missing.

He took a quick shower, again astonished by the fact that the hard water stains were gone in the tub.

Now it wasn’t like he and his dad were slobs and the place was always a wreck….. But the bathroom positively gleamed. Even the base boards….

Kyle closed his eyes and tried to remember if his dad and Amy had gotten back together. Because this was chick level clean.

The shelves were dusted. There were no cobwebs anywhere.

Too clean.

But what did it mean? Why did he feel so strongly that something was missing?

He opened the pantry door to pull out some cereal.

And stopped.

Twelve bottles of Tabasco sauce? Twelve?

Sure, Kyle liked the stuff from time to time, but twelve? The only people he knew that were truly addicted were the Pod Squad.

Unless, those changes he felt, those feelings of constant weirdness since Max had healed him had….

Kyle opened the refrigerator. Sure enough, there was an open bottle. He dabbed some on a honey nut cheerio. Not horrible, but nothing he felt any desire to eat a large amount of.

No his taste buds seemed fine.

He opened the fridge back up to grab some milk. Lots of yogurt.

Now he liked it from time to time, but his dad detested the stuff. And there was a lot there. Too much. It wasn’t like it lasted that long. Much too much for himself and his father.

Someone was living with us. A girl. A girl was living with us.

Kyle felt as if his world was full of crushing pain. Flashes of a beautiful blonde, smiling at him. Making fun of him.

Making love with him. The sights, the sounds, the smell and taste all of it overwhelmed him and he lost consciousness…..

-------
Kyle sat at the table and wondered what had just happened. For a moment he had felt like he had remembered something. Something important.

Kyle shrugged and ate his cereal.

He had forgotten the milk. He walked over and stared at the refrigerator. There was a twinge of pain, as if something were trying to warn him about something horrible that had happened long ago.

He shook his head and grabbed a Lemon yogurt. And the milk. He cocked his head aside and took the Tabasco just to be sure.

He’d been feeling strange lately, and as weird as it seemed he was using his taste buds as a testing bed. The Tabasco test. Liz had laughed at him when he had mentioned it to her the other day. It was good to hear her laugh.

He wished he knew why she had felt the need to hurt Max like that. It made him feel sorry for the guy. But even more for Liz.

Liz still loved Max. But no matter what Kyle said, she would neither tell him what it was all about or let him tell Max the truth.

Kyle sighed. It was Liz’s problem, but he hated to see her hurt so much.

Funny how time brought changes. There had been a time when he’d been passionately in love with Liz Parker. And he still loved her, but as a friend, almost like a sister. Just like…..
-----
Pain roared through his head.

There was something there, something being blocked from him. He could feel it, it was almost in reach…..

_____

Kyle opened his eyes. And shook his head. He was still tired from last night.

Man, that had been a let down.

No. Not thinking about that now. Trying to maintain a positive attitude for at least the morning. His other issues he would deal with later.

Kyle sighed and began to eat his cereal. It was still dry so he added some milk. He noticed the yogurt. Kyle smiled. Time for the Tabasco test.

He opened the container of yogurt and took some out and added a little Tabasco. He took a bit. Still disgusting.

Good. His life was still weird but not that weird. He made to finish off the yogurt. It seemed a little bland. So he added sugar.

A lot of sugar.

It tasted wonderful, the sour taste mingling with the sweetness of the real sugar.

He looked up at the clock.

He must have wasted more time than he thought. He tried to think about what he had done this morning…. He’d woken up early and completed all his exercises….. He could have sworn that he’d have more time….

Day dreaming. That must be it.

He carried over his ceramic bowl and the garbage to the sink. The garbage went in the bin and the bowl into the sink. But he took another moment to try and focus on where all the time had gone….

For a moment he felt a sharp piercing pain and then it was gone. He set the bowl firmly down in the sink. He ran a little water into it as he grabbed his multivitamins.

The bowl cracked under the water.

Kyle walked over and looked at the bowl. It seemed a little deformed and there were cracks all through the bowl. He went to pick it up from under the flowing water and the bowl fell apart.

That was what you got with cheap dishware, Kyle thought.

No time to worry about it. He quickly removed the broken crockery and tossed it into the waste bin. He’d tell dad about it later on when he saw him.

He rushed out and drove to school.

-------

The parking lot was the usual Thursday chaos. He saw some of his friends, but he was strangely reluctant to join them. He really didn’t fit well with them any more. And he really didn’t want to run into Doug right now.

In the mood Kyle was in, it would only take a word or two and they would be in a fairly nasty fight. That was last thing he needed.

He wished he had a little time to meditate and try to clear this edgy mood he was in.

No real time.

He grabbed his bag and walked into school.

He was met with a perky Vicky.

Morning people. He would never understand them. He understood the importance of getting things done early, but did they always have to be so cheerful about it?

“Hey, Vicky.”

“Kyle, come on. She’s agreed to take a look at you.”

“Who?” What crazy scheme was Vicky involved with now?

“Pam, she’s going to check to see if you really have been whammied or if you just had some, well….”

“Yeah. Well…. Pam? Why Pam? I mean, you didn’t tell her or anything?” if she had it would already be making the rounds of school that Kyle was having performance problems.

Not what he needed at all.

“Not the details, um, that would have been unwise.”

“You think?”

“Well, she’ll still check. And she’s kept my secret, so I’ll just have to make sure she keeps yours.”

Kyle stopped her. “Your secret,” he said quietly in her ear.

She smiled, seemingly genuinely, but he could feel how hard it was for her to make that expression while discussing this. “I was abducted.”

Kyle just looked at her.

“Really, I was Kyle. Trust me. I’ll explain. Now smile and laugh.”

Kyle laughed disbelievingly.

Vicky smiled a thousand watt smile and kissed him lightly on the cheek.

There were a couple of whistles. Kyle grabbed Vicky’s arm. The sooner this got taken care of the better.

Only……

There was something……

Something there. Right there. In the parking lot. He could feel it. He lifted his eyes and he shook slightly at the force of seeing her.

Tess Harding.

Pain and joy flooded through him before vanishing taking a confused jumble of images with them.

But he could not stop looking at her.

Their gazes met.

MINE.

That was what he felt. Only…. He didn’t really have anything to do with the blonde. She was a hybrid and….. His mind strained to remember. He NEEDED to REMEMBER!

His hands prickled slightly and he felt flushed.

He felt Vicky’s arm on his. “Are you okay?” She looked up and saw Tess. Her smile became genuine. “Oh, yes. I’m right. I’m right, I am so right about this. Oh, God if you could bottle that passion….. Come on Kyle.” She dragged him into school and past several lockers.

And into an empty classroom. Or so it appeared at first.

Pam was sitting at a desk reading quietly. You would think that someone known for her big mouth would look flashy or draw attention. But Pam Troy really didn’t. She was ordinary. Nothing special.

Average in looks. But one look at her eyes and you knew she was no dummy. At least all the smart people did. She could act the ditz, but the girl had eyes like a hawk. If it happened at school, Pam was likely to know about it.

At the career fair, Topolsky had placed her as journalist or paparazzi.

Personally, Kyle was surprised the woman had not enlisted Pam in her quest to find out about the Pod Squad.

Pam set her book down. “Right. Lets get this over with. Vicky wants me to take a look at you.”

“And you can do…?”

“Hypnosis.” She took a little crystal pendant out. “Just watch this pendant.”

Kyle looked questioningly at Vicky. This was something he would have expected Maria to try. He looked back at Pam, “This is stupid….”

“Just watch the pendant. I know its silly, but it works.”

Kyle looked at the pendant and then at Pam’s eyes. He had never noticed that her eyes weren’t a perfect hazel. Her left was green while the right was brownish. Only the colors seemed to be getting more pronounced and….

He felt himself drift.

From what seemed like miles away he heard a voice. Pam. “Oh, yeah, Vicky. You were definitely right about him. Someone really screwed with his head. And badly.”

Vicky’s voice, now worried, “Is he going to be okay?”

Pam’s voice was grim. “I really don’t know. But we’ll do more later on tonight.” She stopped swinging the pendant. “Okay, Kyle, you can wake up now.”

Only Kyle could…. Feel her now. She was over there. He wasn’t quite sure who she was, just that she was precious to him. And right over there.

There was a barrier, he just had to push, just a little harder….

“Uh, Kyle, you need to wake up…..”

Vicky’s voice, “KYLE, come on, come back to us. Please.”

Just needed to push just a tiny bit harder……

Almost there…….

A confused welter of feelings rushed through him. His head ached like someone had stared a jackhammer drilling into his skull.

Almost there….. Just a little more….

He could vaguely hear two frightened girls in the background.

Just a little harder

The pain was becoming unbearable, but he could feel a few memories slice back in….

Blackness.

Kyle Valenti collapsed to the ground, senseless.
PML
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: A Kiss to Build a Dream On (CC K/T, Mature) Pt 16- 02/25/10

Post by PML »

Thanks again to everyone reading this story.

Earth2Mama- Thanks. Sadly Tess couldn't make up her mind in time. Or rather, she had decided she wanted Kyle, but had spent her entire life believing something else. She tried to have her cake and eat it too, for too long. And now they are all paying for it.

We'll catch up with Kyle in the next part.

Killjoy- thanks. In regards to Pam Troy, I'm a bit of a contrarian. So many people write her as a standard baddie. Just because Liz hates her, and she does, doesn't mean that Pam is evil. Or useless.

jake17- Thank you very much. I will say this, I like Tess as a character. She is very flexible, and so very tragically flawed. As for the rest, all I can say is thank you.

A Kiss to Build a Dream On part 17

Tess-

Tess found the day more tedious than she had originally expected. Kyle was no where to be seen. And despite a sense of worry for him, she had to simply carry on her normal day routines.

As if she needed to get more paranoid, someone had placed a note inside of her third period history book. It was written in Aric’s fine script.

‘I am watching you.’

Tess closed her eyes and shuddered.

Would she know safety ever again? Could she truly defeat this creature of whom she had once so depended on?

If she had someone she could truly consider family, and not just by a past and distant association, it would be Aric. Aric had raised her.

Had been in most respects her father.

Her only family.

Until Kyle. Kyle and the Sheriff. For the Sheriff cared for her too.

And Kyle loved her. He truly did.

If she would only let him.

But to do so, to let him truly feel what they shared….. He would never be able to stay away from her. Never let her do what needed to be done.

He was too emotional. Too attached.

This part of her plan required too much subtlety for him to carry off. Not without her explaining everything in advance. But even if she could get him to completely trust her, he would still want to protect her.

And that would only get him killed.

She didn’t like her plan. But it was the best she could do.

She had sent a pulse into Alex during lunch. A pulse that should send him scurrying to the restrooms any moment now.

She could send this full pulse at anytime, but she wanted to make sure that no one saw Alex’s facial reaction as he received the message. Aric might be diligent, might have others watching their movements, but not even he would be spying on their every private moment.

Tess closed her eyes for a moment. She felt amongst her classmates for the telltale mind of Alex. She didn’t keep the tiny frown of worry wrinkle her face. He was with Isabel.

And from the telltale swirl of thought and emotion they were making out. Tess could almost make herself believe that she might be break in and therefore inform the two of them.

That would be excellent! Once Isabel knew, it would only be a short time before all the other hybrids knew one way or another.

How she wished she were telepathic. Or that she could remember what she had done on Isabel’s birthday. She had appeared to the girl then.

But unfortunately, it was like making walls of roaring flame….. Something she could only do during a crisis. And she could not remember how to do either. Both times she had been pushed to a personal limit.

It was possible this crisis would push her likewise. But while she was worried and frightened, either it was the wrong mix or she wasn’t desperate enough.

They would both be annoyed with her for breaking their little secret tryst, but she was sure they would agree that a psychopathic shape shifting alien was a little more important.

She reached out to send a filament to Alex’s mind…..

Nothing.

Or rather a wall of emotion. The parts of his brain she stimulated when she warped someone were already being stimulated.

That wasn’t normal unless…..

Flashes. Isabel was giving him flashes.

Tess wasn’t sure whether to cry out in frustration or cheer.

Isabel had mastered her fears of intimacy enough to let him in. Great for her.

Really bad timing. Really, really bad.

Alex was either now a target or soon would be.

Aric believed in Destiny. In resurrecting the past so as to preserve their best chance back on Antar. And while that meant making sure that Tess and Max were an item. While it meant that Tess would have to bed the boy soon and provide and heir so they could return home. It also meant that Michael and Isabel were to reunite their torrid love affair.

How soon would Aric begin to clear the field?

Suddenly Maria’s non-appearance at lunch became a lot more threatening.

It wasn’t like Tess herself cared for the girl, but she remembered only too well how Michael had focused on learning so hard this summer. At first, Tess had thought that he had simply gone full tilt into his duty.

And Rath had been like that.

But no, that hadn’t been all of it for Michael. He had wanted to learn as much as he could. But in particular he wanted to learn control. He had spent years breaking things and generally letting his emotions cloud his abilities.

It had been pathetic.

No, Michael had learned he could do more than break light bulbs. He could kill with a wave of the hand. One moment of anger, one quick gesture, and a burst of emotion, and someone could lie dead.

Maria could lie dead.

That had been what he’d been afraid of. Oh, he’d also been concerned for Max and Isabel as well, he fought with them. But it was a sibling type of rivalry he had with them. Maria on the other hand could really hurt him. Really affect him.

It never would have happened. Michael would never have hurt her. But just the possibility had lead him to push Maria away until he felt comfortable that he wouldn’t flip out and kill the girl he loved.

Tess let a sappy little smile flick across her lips. They had all found someone. Someone here, on this distant and dusty world that gave them something none of them had ever experienced Antar.

Now to just win the freedom to enjoy it.

She shook her head and let her mind focus. She had been wandering in her thoughts, and Alex was already moving swiftly towards the men’s room near the library. Close enough for Tess to not have to strain to warp the poor boy.

She reached into his mind, picturing in her own mind the sweltering emotions that must be going through them.

Sorry Alex, time to take away some of the joy.

It took her a couple of minutes to send the entire one sided conversation explaining all that was going on. And his need to be careful

She absently added a need to warn Michael to be on the lookout for something that might threaten Maria.

Tess hadn’t even heard the warning bell. An excited and glowing Isabel sat down at the table. You could almost feel the air crackle with her energy.

Isabel smiled at her, a warm genuine smile, “You and I need to talk. I need to thank you for all of your advice. Um, I think Alex will be mad at me. Once he gets over the shock.”

“It went well?”

A thousand watt smile answered her.

“So, it went very well.”

Isabel shivered with emotion, she glanced around, making sure no one was nearby to hear. “I will need to talk it all out, but it just was taking too much time and, well I connected with him.”

Tess nodded sadly. “How much did you share?”

Isabel’s voice was a subdued but happy squeak, “Everything! He knows everything, and I, I saw, really saw what he sees in me……” Tears began to slip down her cheeks. “I didn’t think anyone could, or would…. I mean, I know I’m pretty and……”

Tess looked at the radiant girl, tears were slipping down her own cheeks. A mixture of joy and despair.

How she wished she could be sure, really sure, that Aric was not there right now. So that she could just openly warn Isabel.

Or that she Tess, had not been such a manipulative bitch at times in the past. That they could trust each other, that she could just open a connection and let her see…..

But Tess was who she was, and she had done what she had done. You lived and used the resources you had, not the resources you should have had.

Tess gripped Isabel’s hand firmly. She was going to skirt the line. Tell enough of the truth to warn the girl, without actually spelling it out.

Isabel was a fairly bright girl. She should be able to connect some of the dots. And if she would just communicate with Alex….. She would know everything without Tess having to risk Kyle‘s life. “You have to be careful, Isabel. Just because we, you are done with Destiny, does not mean that Destiny is done with you. And as much as we might wish to enjoy what we have found here, duty still implores us to remember Antar. To remember our sacred duties and remain faithful to those who returned us to life.”

Isabel looked at her with utter shock. She pulled her hands back. “What are you saying? Just yesterday…. Is this why you are moving in with us? So you can have better access to my brother?”

“In part. Things changed yesterday, I realized something. That I still had a duty to fulfill, despite my desires. And, I fear you will likely come to the same decision. In time.”

“No. Never. How could I have fallen for your tricks again? Why couldn’t I have seen…..”

Tess looked at the agitated hybrid, “Calm down. Think. And go slow. It may be that we can only truly have what we want in our DREAMS. That in the real world we can’t always get what we want.”

“Whatever. I guess I will see you later.” Isabel got up to leave. Briskly wiping her face clean of any blemish. In seconds she was the proud golden goddess of West Roswell High, glaring down at her sometime friend.

Well, the more things change…..

“I’ll see you Is. I am happy for you. But be careful.”

“Careful. Right. How many times did you fuck Kyle? Scrapping his mind clean of the whole event? IS that what you mean by being careful? To use and abuse? Does Kyle even know he cared for you anymore? Or did you crush it out of existence again?”

Tess felt those powerful eyes pry into her, she couldn’t help but flinch slightly.

“I didn’t think so. If you believe for one minute, I will let you lay your poisoned hooks into my brother…. Well, I have never been your enemy, Tess. You do not want to try me. Believe me in this if nothing else.” And she was gone.

Tess closed her eyes. It was amazing how fast her life had gone from heaven to hell.

There had to be a way to stop Aric. There had to be.
PML
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: A Kiss to Build a Dream On (CC K/T, Mature) Pt 17- 03/06/10

Post by PML »

Ok, so technically I was supposed to work an a different story tonight. Oh well, here is another part. Just remember, we're deep in act two. So things are going to be grim for a few more parts. And then in the thrid act, well, everything will either come together or fall completely apart.

Thanks to everyone following along.

chanks_girl- Thanks. I'm glad you don't find me too predictable. Our friends need help badly, that is very true. We'll get back to Tess in the next part.

Earth2Mama- Thanks. I wish you had spread your protection a little wider. Alex and Kyle are still okay. Others, well, you will see. As to Tess's plan.... Well does it make you feel better that I agree with you that its a long shot to have an effect in time?

stockman- Thanks. One thing you have to know is that Tess does not realize how bad warps are for people. She does know that they're not good. But not just how catastrophically bad it can get.

Cellphones exist, but texting is not available yet, I don't believe. And I don't think, cells were ubiquitous like they are now. As for email, well thats not that bad of idea. But trust me when I say that Tess knows Aric, and what he can do. And email was not an option for her.

Thanks for the praise about the scene with Isabel. As for the connection it was a full two way split. So Alex got a lot of information he has to process.

Lastly. I'm not sure its entirely deliberate, but I do believe there is a certain reserve that the hybrids have that the pure humans do not share. Remember the hybrids consider themselves as something different from humans and that makes them have less of an emotional connection to them. IF that makes any sense. THe first part of compassion is the ability to feel the others pain. To see the similarities between you and them. and if you don't see yourself as the same.... It is one of the reasons why nations often try to portray the enemy as something other than regular human beings. Shrug.

A Kiss to Build a Dream On part 18

Kyle-

Kyle slowly floated on a sea of pain and darkness. Part of him just wanted to let go. To drift off into that dark sea and disappear forever.

Except…..

She wasn’t going with him. She was still out there. Still might need him.

She was in trouble. He knew that. He knew he should remember what that trouble was, should remember WHO she was.

But he didn’t.

There was a nearly impenetrable barrier between him and the knowledge he needed desperately. Because she was in danger.

And she needed to be protected at all costs. All costs.

He would fight. He would not let go. Not while she needed him.

But how did he find his way? How could he return to her, when he didn’t know where or even who she was.

Or who he was for that matter.

Funny, he should know that. Should know that much at least.

Who am I?

He sat there paddling away at that surrounding darkness and concentrated.

It hurt so much. Made him so very tired. So very willing to drift off into the night.

But he was stubborn. He knew that. It was why he had beat that arrogant twit from Westlake at State last year in Wrestling. The bastard had been good. Probably better than he was.

But he’d been to willing to quit.

Not him. Not a Valenti. We don’t know when to quit. We keep going after what we aim for long after other perhaps wiser people give up. Like Grandpa with the aliens. Or Dad with Max. Or me with Liz last year.

Suspicious and stubborn. But loyal to a fault. The doom of us Valentis.

Am I Jim? James? No, no… Kyle. I am Kyle Valenti.

With that thought he paused in that empty sea and pulled himself together. Too stubborn to fail, too stubborn to die.

After a timeless time he began to hear voices. He’d been hearing them all along, but before they hadn’t made any sense. Hadn’t meant anything to the catatonic that Kyle had been.

But now he could hear two familiar voices arguing.

“I am sorry, my dear. There is nothing more than I can say. The boy has the resources to pull himself out of it, but does he have the will? That is uncertain. But you are right even if your terminology is somewhat remiss. He has been attacked. By a high level practitioner at that, albeit one that lacks experience or subtlety. He or she is very strong and has the subtlety of a sledgehammer. Quite a rare gift at that level of power. Perhaps the Queen…..”

“The Queen?”

“Yes, before her death she showed some aptitude for mental manipulation. But that strikes me as odd.”

“Why?”

“My, dear, you do realize how much danger you put yourself in by prying into these matters? Your cousin has little choice. The deal we made precludes it. But even there I have tried to keep her safe. She is a good child, much like you despite how you feel about yourself. It would be better if you knew as little about these matters as necessary. Better in fact if you knew less than you already do. But that sadly is beyond my ability to remedy. You know what you know and I can not change that. But I hesitate to drag you or Vicky further into this mess. The Royals are marked, although whether for glory or for death it remains to be seen. Those who deal with them, who traffic with them may very well share their fate. And I very much fear that despite my own wishes that a dire fate awaits them rather than a return to their former splendor….”

“I want to help! Both for my cousin’s sake, and for what you have told me. Your people are here. We need to learn to deal with you. I, I understand why we can not let everyone know what is going on. I do. But still, I know! I know and I will not stand aside while I can help. So please! Please let me help you!”

“Very well. The Queen has marked this boy as her Chosen. They are linked in a way that is hard for me to describe to you.” There was a long pause. “I suppose the closest way to describe it is soul mates. That term is not precise enough I fear, but it must do.”

Pam’s voice was a whisper, “Soul mates….”

“But why would she attack him? It would be very much like attacking herself. She will feel the recoil surely? You humans for all your differences in biology are not that dissimilar to us in such a regard. Wait…. It appears that he is about to rejoin us. Welcome back, Kyle Valenti.”

A set of hands lifts his head slightly. “Kyle?”

Kyle opens his eyes and looks up at a worried Pam. His eyes flit over to Vicky. Only while the body is still hers, the eyes…. The eyes speak of someone else. Something else.

Not bad perhaps, but somewhat…. Detached from the whole seen.

“Who are you?” Kyle said hoarsely, propping himself off the ground. “And what have you done to Vicky!”

“Relax, dear sir, my name is Livian. Your friend was dying, and I was looking for a host. I am from Antar. I mean you and your friends no harm. I have been observing you and your friends for a while. Although I was unaware that the Queen had bonded you.”

Kyle looked sidelong at Pam, “How long have you known about tthis?”

“After summer vacation. She said that something had happened to her, that she had been abducted. And….”

“You used your hypnosis on her.”

“Pam is actually quite skilled for a human. Kyle, it was a pleasure meeting you. I have so many questions, but I am afraid that I have worn out this poor host. I may damage it if I linger. And I care for her. We will meet again, although I do wish that you keep my presence secret from your other friends and allies at least for a time. Goodbye.” Her eyes closed and an exhausted Vicky slumped down.

Kyle got up and held Vicky up. He turned to Pam, “Is it always like this?”

“Yes. Livian can never stay for long. I often wonder whether she is real or just some oddity packed away in Vicky’s head. But one thing is true. Her cancer is gone.”

“Cancer?”

Vicky just smiled up at Kyle. Her eyes fluttering with exhaustion.

“Some rare bone cancer I believe. Inoperable, even though they caught if fairly early. She was supposed to start chemo in October. But in September it was just gone. Complete remission.”

“I never knew.”

“She wanted to keep it quiet. Although it was hard for her to keep bubbly late last summer.”

Kyle nodded. He remembered. Vicky had seemed to be more withdrawn. They had already broken off their affair, and she had been with Doug again.

Plus he’d finally had to deal with all the crap that had happened to him that summer. If he hadn’t run into that guy with the Buddhism books he’d probably have snapped himself.

He rubbed Vicky’s back. She was like Brody. Whether the alien who used her was a friend or enemy remained to be seen. But to Kyle she was still Vicky.

He would have to watch her. Make sure she wasn’t a threat to his friends. But he couldn’t just rat her out either. What might Michael or one of the others do to her.

Or for that matter Pam.

Buddha save us all. Pam Troy knows that aliens are in town.

Except she had known. Since September. Maybe, maybe in this she could be trusted.

Pam cleared her throat, “I’m sorry. I just didn’t know what else to do. Livian, she knows things. Really amazing things. I thought she might be able to help you.”

“Maybe she can. Not today though. We need to get Vicky home so she can rest.”

Pam nodded. “I’ll go get us a pass and convince them to let you take her home.”

“You can do that?”

Pam just smiled, “Watch me, jock boy. Oh, before I go, how did your date with Vicky go anyway?”

“You know that is none of your business, Pam.”

“Oh, you are no fun. Vicky already gave me most of the highlights, but she said you were still hung up on Tess. And that that kept it from being a perfect flawless performance.”

Tess?

Tess?

Why did that name seem so important. So very utterly important to him.

A wave of blackness washed over him and through him. But this time he held his ground.

Traces and trickles of his memory came back to him. And he knew. HE KNEW that Tess was his.

That had had been made for her and she for him. Only there was a great deal of danger involved. A reason to trust no one.

Because……

Kyle remembered being held spread eagle against the wall. He remembered the feel, remembered the texture of the power that held him. A texture he would never forget.

He reached over and touched Pam. He could feel a substance under her skin. A texture that felt different from what he desired, but similar. He closed his eyes and…. Reached….out to the texture.

No.

Pam jerked her arm away.

Kyle opened his eyes and looked at a very shocked Pam Troy. He smiled sadly at her.

“Who or what are you? Are you really Kyle? Or, or is there something in you too…..”

“Livian was right when she said this was dangerous. That the more you know, the more danger you are in. I am myself, Pam. Only my life has been turned upside down as much as Vicky’s has.”

“Why? Are you okay, were you sick?”

Kyle shook his head slowly, “No Pam. I died. I nearly died again just a little bit ago. This is dangerous. Its as dangerous to talk about, so don’t spread the word around. They really are here. And some of them mean us harm. Some of them don’t. Some of them love us and want only good things for us.”

Pam just stood there. “Tess is the Queen isn’t she? The rest of the Czechs, they’re, they are the Royal’s Livian is always talking about. The ones she watches.”

“Pam….”

“No, don’t Pam me. I want to have children one day, Kyle. And I want them to live in a world that is safe for humans to live in. One of the reasons I work with Livian so much is that I want to make sure that she doesn’t hurt Vicky or that she isn’t a threat to mankind. Just so you know, Kyle, I’ve known that your friends have been different for a long time. I, I didn’t realize they were this different. I should have, what with all the clues Livian’s been dropping.” Pam shook her head, “Maybe I just didn’t want to believe. Are they even human?”

“Yes. Yes they are. They are as human as you or I. They do have their quirks. But, seriously, if they meant us harm, we would know.” Kyle finished up slowly, “And I don’t know what we could do about it.”

Pam nodded. “Just as long as you know that if they are a threat to my people, our people. Then, then I will do what I must.”

“Okay. You said something about getting Vicky home?”

“I’ll be right back.”

--------

Kyle sat quietly in the Quad. It was eerie that none of his new friends were here. Surely Liz and Maria would make and appearance?

Pam and Vicky were still at her house. Kyle had gone back to school. Anything to keep Pam from chopping away with her questions.

She would have to be dealt with at some point, but for now…..

He finished his lunch in silence. Not even an Alex or any of the Pod Squad. How very worrisome.

Plus he had been hoping to see Tess. To see if some of what she was hiding from him would be jostled loose if he saw or talked to her.

Finally near the end of lunch a haggard and seemingly shrunken Liz dazedly moving back to the main building.

“Liz? What is wrong?”

She did the unexpected. She grabbed him and began bawling. “Maria, Maria is, is…..”

Kyle held onto Liz. He rubbed her back gently and tried to will what comfort he had in him into her.

It seemed to help, because she began to calm down a little. “Ok, slowly, Liz. What is going on?”

“Maria, Maria is in the hospital. And they won’t let anyone near her. Max can’t get close enough… and, and she’s dying. My best friend in the whole world is dying and I can’t do anything to help her.” And once more she burst into tears.

And Kyle did the only thing he could think of.

He comforted her.
PML
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: A Kiss to Build a Dream On (CC K/T, Mature) Pt 18- 03/11/10

Post by PML »

This was a surprisingly difficult chapter for me to finish. My apolgies on the wait. Thank you to all of you who have been following along.

Earth2Mama-Thanks. They will need outside help. You will see more of Livian in a few parts. She has a small but critical part to play.

Killjoy- Thanks. Maria got hit by a van doing sixty. Aric means business.

chanks_girl- Thanks. Things are going to get interesting real soon.

jake17- Thanks. I never really know how to respond to such a nice compliment. I know that I'm always afraid that my writing is too spare, and it makes me happy that someone who is such a good writer herself thinks that i'm doing a decent job. Thank you.

Disclaimer- Roswell is not mine and no infringement is inteneded.

A Kiss to Build a Dream On part 19

Tess

It was sixth period and Tess could not wait for it to end. It was the only class she had Isabel in. and Tess could feel as the girl singed her hair with her glares from the seat behind her.

The cold glances she was getting from Pam Troy didn’t help. The girl was an acquaintance with potential to be friend if Tess let her. The problem being that the girl was too similar to her. Pam Troy was a manipulator, if only using rumor and words as her weapons.

She was actually feared by some of her classmates, although most saw little but the constant jabber the girl put on. The girl could talk. But more, Pam Troy was constantly watching. She knew all the gossip, all the pointless minutiae that ruled so many of the students.

And Tess knew her secret. Pam knew how to listen. Really listen to what her classmates were saying. People told her things because she would actually listen to them. The girl had a way with words and was enemies with no one. Talk to her, and the next thing you knew you were spilling your deepest darkest secrets.

Tess was immune, of course. But she could admire another persons strengths. In face, Miss Troy had been invaluable when Tess had first gotten to Roswell. She’d been able to give the strengths and weaknesses of all of her ‘friends.’

Thankfully the girl didn’t know the real secret, didn’t know that aliens walked among them even now. That would be bad. Pam was not stupid and was quite observant. Exactly the source that a new Special Unit could use to build profiles on them.

Pam noticed her interest and her face turned inscrutable.

Tess turned away, but it was not much later that a note made its way to her desk.

“I am watching you.”

Tess felt a thrill of terror rush through her. This was the fourth time she had gotten a note like this.

Aric was riding her. Making her realize how he could be anywhere and everywhere.

And Tess would never know.

Tess tried to keep her eyes casual, to slowly work her way over towards Pam. Pam’s ordinary brown eyes stared back at her.

Was that a trace of malevolence in them? Could Aric be so brazen as to impersonate one of her classmates, to risk such a possibility of detection.

A shiver rushed down her spine.

If he thought it worth it. If he thought it the only way to drill something into her skull.

Yes. Yes he could.

Pam quietly asked for a bathroom pass. And left.

Who knew who or what she/he would be after she found even the slightest bit of time alone? Changing shape usually was flashy- lots of glowing, even a bit of telekinetic turbulence. But Aric could do so much more. He might have to keep the girl’s shape, but he could walk unseen in any shape.

And walk through walls.

There were undoubtedly countermeasures to what the Protectors could do. But Tess had never learned them. Aric had certainly never seen fit to teach her his limits.

But she did know some of his powers.

There had to be a way to stop him. Somehow.

Tess had a hard time focusing on the class. Between the death glares Isabel was still sending her, and the worry of where and what Aric was currently doing…..

The hour couldn’t end soon enough.

The bell rang and Tess bolted from her seat and quickly made it to the door. She stopped when she saw the Sheriff, hat in hand waiting outside.

He looked up and smiled sadly at her. “Tess. Hope you are doing well today. Things going well at the Evans?”

“They are going okay, I guess.”

“Just remember that you are always welcome back, Tess. It was nice to have a female touch there for a while.”

“Thank you for putting up with me for as long as you did.” Tess sent another subtle warp on him, to the effect that her being there had been causing him trouble with some of the city’s more conservative members.

Which had the added advantage of actually being true. Not that a Valenti would let something so fragile as social pressure push them into doing something they did not agree with.

The stubborn fools, Tess thought fondly. “So is there something you need or?”

Just like that, Jim’s face became grim. “Not from you I’m afraid.”

Isabel sauntered by.

The Sherriff stopped her, “Miss Evans, if I could have a moment of you time?”

Isabel shot a look of hate at Tess, “Did SHE say something? Is this about HER?”

The Sherriff just looked at Isabel calmly. “I need your help. I wouldn’t ask this if I didn’t know how important he had been to you, and that you’re already eighteen. But, the next closest person I could call to view him is in Wyoming.”

“What?”

The Sherriff looked around, “Grant Sorenson is dead.”

-------

It had taken some work, but Tess had been able to convince Isabel to let her drive her to the Police station. But in the end, the thought that Tess could drive her straight home won her over in the end.

For some reason Max wasn’t home. And neither was Michael.

She was tempted to call Kyle, but that might be risking fate.

The Sherriff was waiting for them. Tess waited in the waiting room while Isabel walked further in.

A little later a visibly shaken Isabel walked out. She looked at Tess. “This is what you were warning me about?”

“About what?”

“That our Destiny has not forgotten us.”

“I take it was Grant.”

Isabel looked away, “I can’t talk about it.” She closed her eyes, a tear slipping down. “He didn’t deserve that. I don’t think anyone deserved it, no matter what Valenti said.”

Tess wasn’t sure what to think. Isabel’s emotions had been fluctuating towards her so much the last couple of days. Did the girl hate her at the moment or not. Either way, she should get Isabel home.

This had to be hard. She knew that Isabel hadn’t loved Grant. But she had cared for him. And now this….. She needed to know what had happened. Had it been Aric or something else?

But what could she say? I told you so, and this is why you need to keep Alex away…. That just seemed much to insensitive. Even to her.

Tess blinked back a tear. When had Isabel’s opinion started to matter to her? When had she begun to consider herself on the same side?

When Tess had first come to Roswell, she had been so full of fire for her Destiny. Been so sure that was what MUST be. Been angry that her other podmates had not been as willing or as eager.

With a sense of shock, she realized she felt like she was one of them now. That Aric was interfering with her life. A sense of self hatred flooded her. She had done this to them. Had made this possible. And now Grant was dead.

Who was next? Would he strike someone else in their group? Would their friends become hostages to fate?

She was pulling into the drive way when Isabel broke from her shock. “Why are we here?”

“I just thought that you needed to go home. You know to mourn, to, to….”

Isabel looked at her with a look of hatred. “Go right ahead and say it. Being with the humans risk them. I need to get rid of Alex. Just go and say it.”

Tess looked over at the larger blonde. She remained silent, a tear slipping down her face. “I didn’t want this.”

Isabel looked around and sighed. “Look, I know you don’t give a damn for any of us. But can you drive me to the hospital?”

“The hospital? Why?”

“Maria was in an accident. She’s badly hurt. Max must already be there. I, I just need to be there. To be with someone who cares.”

Tess looked away and started the SUV up again. She did care. She hadn’t. But she did.

Only how did she convince Isabel of the problem? Of the desperate need to protect their human friends?

Tess was about half way to Roswell Memorial when she could feel Isabel’s gaze on her. She glanced over and saw the hate. She blinked a couple of times and focused on the road.

Praying that Isabel wouldn’t suddenly attack her. Because if looks could kill…..

“So you must be happy about this set of affairs. Michael loses Maria, something I’m sure you’ve been working on. And Grant is dead. You know me well enough to know I want to protect Alex more than anything, so you’ve killed that love dead. And here I am, rushing to go comfort Michael. God, I don’t know what is worse, the fact that I can see your plan in motion, or the fact that I am compelled to go along with it. You MAKE ME PHYSICALLY ILL!” Isabel tossed her hair back in agitation.

What could Tess say? How could she make Isabel see? When she had to ration every word. When saying the wrong thing could mean Kyle’s life?

How she wanted to defend herself! How she wanted to tell Isabel off, to make her realize how much she had changed…..

Isabel continued her rant, ”How long have you been working on this? I should have seen it, because you’ve got Liz away from Max. No way that’s ever going to revive now. I even heard him saying nice things about you the other day. So your plan on him has got to be working. But to fulfill Destiny, you need me and Michael to hook up. So is that your new plan? To kill off our human lovers?”

“Wait, did you sleep with Grant?”

“What would it matter to you if I did? Is there some precious Destiny thing that I need to keep my damn virginity for Michael?”

“Not really, no.” She was beginning to lose patience with Isabel, beginning to feel her own substantial temper flare.

Calm. She had to keep calm. Serene.

“I suppose it must not be considering how often you’ve slept with Kyle. And if the future queen can be a slut…. But no, if you need to know, I never slept with him.”

“Good, he was creepy. I know you liked him, but Isabel…. The man was much to old for you. There had to be a reason he spent so much time and money on you.”

Isabel turned away. “There was. I guess it doesn’t matter anymore. BECAUSE YOU FUCKING KILLED HIM!”

Tess just looked at Isabel through the mirror.

Isabel’s face was a mix of anger, guilt, and shame. “Did you know? IS that why you killed him? Was it some twisted thing to protect the Group or, or was it just Destiny…..”

“What did he do to you?” Tess said quietly. She wasn’t calm, not anymore. Because she could sense that something was very wrong with her friend.

And Tess considered Isabel her friend, even if they were at odds. Because whether Isabel knew it or not, they were finally on the same side.

Isabel looked at Tess, her face red and blotchy. She slapped Tess.

Tess pulled the SUV over. She looked at Isabel, one hand on the cheek that Isabel had hit. “Do you want to fight? Is this what you want? Some pointless brawl to alleviate some of the pain and stress you are feeling? Because you may be stronger than me, but I actually know what I’m doing. And it doesn’t matter how hard you can hit if you can’t see what you’re aiming at!”

“Why did you come here, Tess? Things were so much better before you came into our lives. So much simpler. And if you hadn’t maybe I wouldn’t have….. “

“What did he do to you? Did he rape you or, what?”

Isabel’s anger had fled. She now just stared at her hands, tears sliding down her cheeks. “No he was always good to me. Always so nice. But…..”

“But what?”

“There were pictures.”

“Pictures?”

“Pictures. Of me.”

“Isabel…..”

“I didn’t think I would care, that it would affect me like this. But, I don’t know how I’m going to look the Sherriff in the eye again. And if dad sees them…..”

Tess closed her eyes. She had thought of doing something similar for Kyle, replacing her image in one of Kyle’s magazines. But that would have been for him only. To have photos out there for everyone to see….. “So how do you feel about this?”

The atmosphere inside the SUV had changed. Had decompressed so totally. This was such a normal, human problem.

“I don’t really know. I mean I hope Valenti got them all. I mean I look damn good in some of them, he wasn’t a half bad photographer. But Valenti thinks he was going to blackmail my father with them.” Isabel shook her head, “He always said I was so beautiful….”

“Does Alex know?”

“I held nothing back. But it would have been just flashes. I don’t know if he picked up on it or not. I should tell him.” Isabel looked over at Tess. “I am not giving him up. Not now.”

Tess shook her head. “It is too dangerous. Too dangerous to be defenseless and our friend.”

“You never change do you. Always pushing that Destiny crap.”

Tess looked at Isabel and made a decision. It was dangerous, risking Kyle. But Isabel needed to know, if only for the safety of Alex. Losing Grant had to hurt, losing Alex would be something Isabel might never recover from.

“I don’t plan on giving up Kyle. Not in the long run. But for now, for now we HAVE to follow Destiny.”

“Well I doubt Max is willing to share you,” She laughed slightly, “Maybe if you let him keep Liz.”

“If I thought I could do that I would in a heartbeat, Isabel. A heartbeat. But Aric, Aric wouldn’t be happy with that.”

“Aric?”

“Aric is the reason I’ve been messing with Kyle’s head so much. Aric is the reason I’ve switched so much in the last couple of days. Aric probably killed Grant. And if I am right, he probably hurt Maria.”

“You’ve known our friends were in danger and said nothing!”

“He threatened to kill Kyle. Or worse. Right now, right now I am risking the love of my life. To protect you. To protect Alex. I want nothing more to go on that double date with you on Saturday, but it is not safe. He would do something to push Alex away from you. Maybe he’d use those pictures, maybe something else.”

“Oh, my God.” Isabel was looking confused now, confused and worried. “But why didn’t you come to us, together we could have helped you….”

“Not against him. I don’t know how we stop him.” Tess shook her head, “Look, you know of him as Nasedo.”

“Nasedo is dead.”

“No, no, his is not. He was badly hurt. It took some time for him to recover. But he is back, and he’s not happy.”

“And he’s willing to hurt our friends?”

“If they stand in the way of Destiny yes. That was why he didn’t bother last summer. But I think, I think Maria and Michael have gotten really close lately. And well, you and Grant.”

“Yeah. So what do we do?”

“Be careful.” Tess sighed, “He’s very powerful. He can turn invisible. He can walk through most walls. He can be hurt, but even then it will take more than a small wound to put him down. And even then, even then he can be brought back.”

“How, how do we kill him?”

“I don’t know. I really don’t. But as long as he is around, as long as he is out there. I can’t be with Kyle. And you can’t be with Alex. It would have been better if we hadn’t found you. All of you would have lead your lives. You are right about that. I have made things so much worse. I’m sorry.”

Isabel’s face was still red, still tearstained. But the anger was gone. She seemed strangely compassionate. “But then you would not have found Kyle. We would not be complete. Trust me when I say this, we will find a way. We will beat him. Don’t doubt that. But for now, for now….. I hope to God, Alex forgives me.”

Tess smiled wanly at Isabel. She started the SUV and drove the rest of the way to the hospital.

Isabel quietly thanked her and walked into the hospital.

Tess pulled into park. She sat there for a few minutes. She was not sure if she would be welcome. She’d never been a fan of Maria. They had never really gotten along.

Plus behind her was Kyle’s Mustang.

She wasn’t really sure she could deal with Kyle at the moment. To afraid that she would just fly into his warm arms.

Strength, Tess. Serenity.

She walked into the hospital, only to see a sight she had not expected. Max. Max stood there sobbing.

At least Aric would be happy with her approaching him.

“Hey, Max. Is she okay?”

“Maria was hit by a hit and run driver. The man accelerated into her, Tess. He tried to kill her. It, its pretty bad. If Michael hadn’t seen it, if he hadn’t been there…. She would be dead.”

“Why haven’t you healed her?”

“I, I can’t get close to her. There are too many people, too many witnesses.”

“Okay, Can I help?”

“You would do that? For Maria?”

“Well, more for Michael, but yeah. Yeah, she is one of us.”

Max looked at her, his eyes tightening slightly. “You have changed.”

“I….”

“No, Tess. Its not a bad thing. I just,” Max paused his eyes pivoting to the hospital door as a small brunette slowly walked out.

Liz looked like she was completely broken by events.

Tess smiled slightly, “Go to her.”

“What?”

“She needs you.”

Max was silent. But Tess could read a brittle pain there.

Liz’s ‘betrayal’ colored everything in Max’s eyes.

“Do you love her?”

“I,” Max paused and took a deep breath. “I still do, that’s why it hurts so much.”

Tess hugged him and held him close. Aric would like this. Maybe would buy Max and Liz a bit of a break if he was watching.

Because those two were broken. And she knew that she had helped it. She was the reason they were suffering.

“Go to her. Don’t let your pride hold you back. No matter what she did or didn’t do…. She needs you now. And if you love her, truly love her. You will forgive her. And provide the comfort she needs.”

Max pulled back, shocked. His mouth opened and closed.

Tess smiled and gave him a peck on the cheek. “It’s not safe for you two to have what you both secretly want. It is just not safe. But someday. Someday….”

His grip tightened. “What do you mean by the fact it is not safe?”

“Ask Isabel. I can’t, can’t tell you. It is too dangerous.” Tess stepped away. “Now go to her.” She watched as Max gingerly walked up to Liz.

She hid the smile she felt as Liz broke down in Max’s arms. She had never thought this would feel so good, so right.

Destiny be damned. They still needed to find and defeat Aric. And that would be difficult.

“Tess?”

Tess could feel butterflies flap hard in her stomach at that voice. She turned around, trying to keep her face calm. But one look into his eyes……

And she was lost. She HAD to, she just had to.

She closed the distance and kissed him. Kissed him deeply and well.

There were no flashes, but she could feel as if a bright light were filling her whole being. Could feel as it seared away the darkness…..

After a timeless time, she backed away and fled. Leaving a confused but happy Kyle behind her.

Hopefully, Aric had missed that. Hopefully, none of the risks she had run would cause Aric to kill or harm Kyle.

Because if Kyle were hurt, if he were killed….. Tess would simply die.

Melodramatic maybe, but none the less true.

Tess got into her SUV and raced back to her new home. She slipped into her room, unwilling and unable to make any small talk. She undressed and got ready for bed. She slipped one of Kyle’s shirts over her body.

That was something she was not going to give up. Ever.

The smell of him that had once clung to the shirt was long since washed away, but the memories….. Those still lingered.

She lay there in her bed, her body keening for Kyle’s touch. For something she might never be able to feel again. For her actions at the hospital told her that she would have to completely avoid him.

She just couldn’t trust herself with him. And his safety and life depended on it.

No, she would simply have to completely avoid him at all times.

And she cried. Deep wracking sobs as the Bond that she had formed demanded his presence, if not his touch.

It took her a long time before she settled into a fitful sleep.