Falling Dominoes (CCw/UC Adult) [COMPLETE]

This is the gallery for the winners of the fanfic awards to show off their fics, and their banners!

Moderators: Itzstacie, Forum Moderators

trulov
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Falling Dominoes (CCw/UC Adult) 01/25 Chapter 58 pg 10

Post by trulov »

I'm really sorry for the big delay in posting this next part. RL has been a big pain in the ass lately! But I'll try to have the next part up tomorrow or the day after!

Thanks so much for sticking with me.

Chapter 59

Song - Light on by David Cook

Max Evans never really minded being an alien. From the time he emerged from his pod, he knew it was what he was, who he was, a part of him as surely as his hands or his limbs were a part of him.

Later, as he grew and his inherent arrogance developed as well, it was something he was proud of. Though he had to keep his abilities hidden, there was a self-conceit within him because he had the ability to do things no human ever could. His alien heritage was mysterious, and being different was difficult at times, but it was never something he regretted - never something he would change if he could.

Until today.

Sitting in the Granolith chamber, staring at the pulsing pyramid with Liz crouched beside him, for the first time in his life Max hated what he was. He loathed the unearthly part of himself because of what it now called him to do.

Leave.

It had been two hours since the last remnants of the duplicates had been wiped away. The blood had been evaporated, the bodies - disappearing before their eyes - had been absorbed into the Granolith's great cone, all at his command.

The injuries - the cuts and the gashes - were healed, though Max knew the memories - the nightmares - brought on by the horrific ordeal would stay with them for much longer.

He had done what had been needed - his enemies had been purged from earth - there would be no evidence that alien life had ever visited - that any of them had even been here. Except within the hearts of the four humans who waited with them now.

Liz had been unusually quiet. Their eyes had met briefly when he put his hand on her throat to heal the damage Zan's grip had done. He had smiled at her reassuringly, and she had returned his grin, but he knew it had been forced.

Though Liz's body was right beside him, though he could easily reach out and touch her, hold her, Max sensed her mind was far away - closed off. Preparing to withstand the next step - the inevitable separation.

She had been through so much. He had put her through so much. Guilt crawling on him like an army of ants for the tattered shreds Liz's life had become. And now it seemed, he was going to leave her to face the remains of that life - alone.

He wanted to ask her to wait for him. He wanted to tell her there was still hope - a fragile flickering chance that he didn't have to go - or if he did - he yearned to promise that he would return.

But he didn't tell her any of those things.

He couldn't be that selfish. He didn't know what would happen in the next few minutes. He wasn't sure what the others would decide. And to build Liz up - to have her looking for a reunion that may never materialize would just be too cruel.

He dragged his eyes over the huddled pairs scattered throughout the room, and Max marveled how any of them had ever gotten by without them.

It had been Kyle who had soothed Tess' hysterical sobs. It had been Maria who had calmed Michael's anger. It had been Alex who had restored Isabel's self worth, shattered when she had seen just what she was capable of - well, what a version of herself was capable of. And it had been Liz who had done…everything… for him. She had saved his life - inspired his spirit - restored his soul.

But there was no point in delaying any longer - they were all worn-out and hungry. And Larek - Larek was awaiting his contact. It wasn't right to make him wait any more.

Max forced himself to stand and say, "It's time."

Never really said too much
Afraid it wouldn't be enough
Just try to keep my spirits up
When there's no point in grieving

He watched Liz's every move as she pushed her hair back off her forehead and blew out a harsh breath he hadn't realized she'd been holding. As she stood, she wearily rubbed her hands down her face. And then she faced him.

For as long as he lived, Max Evans would never forget the look in Liz's eyes in that moment.

The rich brown orbs, that were always so vivacious, so full of life - were utterly flat. There was no shine, no vibrancy. They were achingly dull, and as he gazed at them he was shaken by what that meant, "Liz."

"I can't stay." She said, her voice as lifeless as her eyes. "I can't watch you leave - I can't stand here while you disappear. I'm sorry."

"Liz, don't…" Max said, trying to tell her that she had nothing to be sorry for. That she was the strongest person he'd ever known.

But Liz took his words to mean 'don't go, don't leave me' and something broke inside her at the plea.

She had given him everything she had - she had nothing left.

Doesn't matter anyway
Words could never make me stay
Words will never take my place
When you know I'm leaving

Nasedo had not been wrong in his assumptions about the workings of human emotions - or in his plan to rid Max of them. Like the body, there is only so much abuse the heart can stand before it shuts down. Victims of car accidents, for example, suffering from catastrophic injuries, report feeling no pain, no discomfort, only numbing cold. It is the body's act of self-preservation, an effort to save the host from experiencing the unimaginable agony of the wound.

In that moment, Liz was very much like the victim of a collision. But instead of her brain sending out anesthetizing chemicals, it was her soul that was disconnecting and disengaging.

Suddenly, she felt nothing.

She knew she was supposed to. Just as Max knew, that night in his room days after Sorrenson's death, that he was supposed to feel guilty, but didn't - couldn't. Liz knew her chest should be aching, her eyes should be overflowing, her throat should be clogged and her voice hoarse. She should be overcome with sorrowful yearning and heartbreak.

But there was none of that.

It was curious - strange - but some small part of her was grateful.

In the few weeks she had been in Roswell, she had endured an unbelievable prism of feelings. Like the peeks and valleys of some gravity-defying roller coaster, she had experienced unimaginable love…and equally unfathomable loss. Her life had been threatened countless times, she had been kidnapped, accosted, she had held her dying father in her arms and then watched as her friends were tortured. Then, she herself had helped kill a man who wore the face of the only man she had ever really loved.

It was a miracle her system had not blacked out before this.

Try to leave a light on when I'm gone
Something I rely on to get home
One I can feel at night
A naked light, a fire to keep me warm

Liz brought her finger to Max's lips. She touched them, traced them delicately, marveling at their softness. She leaned foreword and kissed him, because she knew, if she ever regained the ability to feel, she'd want to remember what it felt like to have her lips on his, one last time. Then she broke the kiss, her hand resting on his chest.

It was just as before. Just as she had seen from the scion. Max and Liz, in a cave in the desert saying goodbye. Maybe this was how it was meant to be - how it was always supposed to end.

He wanted to shake her until there was color back in her pallor cheeks. He wanted to hold her to him and swear that he would never, ever let her go. He wanted to kiss her until the shimmer of passion was back in her beautiful brown eyes.

But he didn't.

He wanted to tell her that he loved her. That he would never love another. That he would die with her name on his lips.

But he didn't say any of those things.

He wouldn't make it harder for her, with his own self-serving pleadings and declarations of love that she had already heard.

If this was the way she needed to leave him, then he would let her go - like this. He knew none of his words would matter anyway - it wouldn't heal her shattered soul, it wouldn't stop him from doing what he had to do.

"Goodbye Max." Liz whispered, her words final, and tired, and sad. And she turned from him and walked out the chamber door.

Even in the daylight, shine on
And when it's late at night you can look inside
You won't feel so alone

Max was struck silent as his own dream played out before his eyes. And just as in the dream, he wanted to go after her - his mind screaming for him to tell her what he planned, to stop her - to do something.

But he didn't.

He tightened his jaw, balled his hands into fists, and forced his feet to stay just where they were. He stood there, and made what he would always see as the biggest mistake of his life - he let Liz Parker walk away.

You know we've been down that road
What seems a thousand times before
My back to a closing door and my eyes to the seasons

Maria watched Liz walk out the cave door and said, "I guess that's our cue."

She turned to Michael and took a moment just to look at him, to memorize every curve of his face. She told herself to be strong - that she knew when she started this it would not be for the long haul. Still, despite her protests that she would be happy with just one night with Michael Guerin, inside she had wanted more…much more.

And achingly, she still did.

"I hope you find what you're looking for, Michael. I hope…it makes you happy." She told him softly, "You deserve that."

That roll out underneath my heels
And you don't know how bad it feels
To leave the only one that I have ever believed in

Holding her hands in his, Michael tried to find the words to tell her what was in his heart. How much she meant to him…how much she would always mean. But he failed to find them, so he pulled her close instead and kissed her. Trying to show her with his actions all the feelings he was unable to voice. The kiss was passionate and bittersweet, and when it ended, with their foreheads touching, Michael breathed, "Maria."

A moment later she backed away, the tears she could no longer keep down shining in her eyes. She smiled at him and nodded, telling him that she understood. And then she turned, following the same path Liz had taken, and was gone.

One I can feel at night

Alex caressed Isabel's hand with his own, before bringing it to his lips and placing a chaste kiss on her knuckles. He looked deeply into her eyes, smiling sadly and said, "It's been an honor."

She didn't want to do this. She didn't want to say goodbye - to Alex, to her parents, to everything about her life that she loved.

It hadn't been enough.

The moments they'd shared hadn't given her enough recollections to get her through a lifetime. They had only made her crave more - more time, more memories - with him.

Alex pulled her into his arms and kissed her with all the passion she had felt from him the night before. He pulled back and kissed her cheek and whispered in her ear, "If there's ever a way…you can come back. I'll wait for you, Isabel. I'll wait for you forever."

And when its late at night you can look inside
You won't feel so alone

She pulled in a breath, as he looked in her eyes one final time, and then Alex let her go, walked to the door, and left.

Sometimes it seems like we've run out of luck
When the signal keeps on breaking up
When the wires cross in my brain
You'll start my heart again
When I come along

Four sets of eyes turned expectantly to the only human left in the room - Kyle Valenti. He returned their stares unabashedly and said, "What? I'm not leaving. Fuck that."

Isabel laughed, Max and Michael chuckled, and Tess allowed herself a soft smile.

"Okay…seriously. Listen to me." Kyle said, looking at Tess first, and then the rest of them, "All of you - listen. You're talking about leaving the planet. You're talking about going to a place that you know nothing about, where most of the people who came from there with you, have tried to kill you. This is crazy. You can't do this."

"Kyle." Tess stepped closer to him, "You have to go outside."

Kyle shook his head like a stubborn child, "No. Tess…you can't leave." He begged, "I …I just found you. You can't just leave. Not now."

Tess gazed at him lovingly, torn by the pleading in his voice. "We need to talk Kyle - alone. Go outside."

"Come with me." He implored her, "Tell me you'll come out."

"I will." She lied.

"Swear it."

Tess looked into the sparkling blue eyes that she loved so much - eyes that could heal her of any hurt, any pain, and she promised, "I swear, I'll find you again."

One I can feel at night

Needing the hope her lie gave to force himself to leave, Kyle nodded.

Tess kissed him regretfully - sorry for all the time she had wasted, for all the things she couldn't tell him, for her son who would never know what an amazing man his father was.

Backing away from Tess, Kyle gave a nod to Max and Michael, and a smile to Isabel and then, he too moved out the door.

And when it's late at night you can look inside
You won't feel so alone

As the afternoon sun faded to evening, Maria, Alex, Kyle, and Liz sat inside the police cruiser.

And waited.

It had been a half hour since Kyle had left the chamber. They stared at the hill, looking for some signal, some sign that they would be coming out…for them.

Liz was the only one staring in the opposite direction.

Max had made the situation very clear to her. There was no hope. He had never given any inclination, any hint that he would not be leaving. The idea that he would stay had never been mentioned or discussed.

So she wasn't looking because if anyone did appear from the cave, if any of them did come walking down that hill, she was sure - certain - it would not be Max.

With resignation in her voice, Maria said, "Kyle, we should go."

"No. She told me she would come out."

"Kyle," Maria said softly, sympathetically, as she put her hand on her step-brother's shoulder.

She almost told him about Tess - about what she had overheard Nasedo say. But for once in her life, she kept her mouth shut - not wanting to add to Liz or Kyle's pain. Instead, she told him, "Liz shouldn't be here."

Kyle turned his head to look at the dark haired girl in the seat beside him. The girl whose life had been turned upside down - who had lost more than any of them. Her face was devoid of expression and she looked exhausted. He knew he should get her away from here. But he just couldn't bring himself to give up. Not until he was sure that Tess was really gone.

And then, as if hearing his thoughts, the ground started to rumble and the car shook from the vibration and a mighty blast came from the mountain that hid the Granolith within it. Rock and dust and debris scattered in the air and on the windshield, and a trail of white smoke laced the darkening sky.

If they hadn't been looking - if they had even blinked - they would have missed it. The large, silver, bullet shaped cone shooting out from the mountain and up into the night.

They were gone.

Knowing the quaking and noise might bring attention to this area, Kyle told Alex to drive Max's car back to town.

When they were ready to go, Kyle just continued to stare straight ahead for one more minute. In a shattered voice he said, "I can't believe she lied to me. I can't believe she really left."

Wordlessly, Maria hugged him, feeling the same loss, the same pain. Knowing only time would heal it for both of them, she said, "Let's just go, Kyle. Just drive."

And slowly, steadily, that's just what he did.
trulov
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Falling Dominoes (CCw/UC Adult) 02/03 Chapter 59 pg 11

Post by trulov »

I'm back! :D

Chapter 60
Song - Love Story by Taylor Swift

Three hours later

Alex Whitman was not a melancholy kind of guy. He was an optimist, a look on the bright side, glass is half full type. At least, usually he was.

But tonight was not a usual night in his life.

Two days ago it had seemed to him that all of his dreams were about to come true. Tonight, the girl of those dreams, the object of his affection since he was fourteen, had gone away, taking all of his 'make lemon-aid when life gives you lemons,' and 'keep your chin up,' ideals with her.

And as a result, he was terribly, hopelessly, depressed.

He sat on the back porch of his parents' house, doing what he always did when his emotions ran high. He played his guitar.

Not an easy task considering one of his hands remained encased in a plaster cast. But he did his best, strumming a sad tune, hitting the notes as best he could, jotting them down if he thought it was something worth remembering. Maria would add the lyrics later on.

His parents were in Albuquerque for the night, which was best. It saved him from having to suffer their concerned expressions as they tried to cajole him into explaining his dark mood.

Humming, he tried a chord, before suddenly putting his hand over the strings to stop the sounds from the guitar.

He had heard something - a high pitched wail.

He listened hard for it to come again. What the hell was that?

It sounded like two cats fighting in the front yard - or getting it on - one could never tell with cats.

Alex put his guitar down and walked around the house, through the side gate to the dimly lit front - only the moon and street lamp allowing him to see who was standing on the lawn.

And the sight stopped him cold.

Because it wasn't the sounds of blood thirsty, lust driven felines had pierced his eardrums.

It was Isabel Evans.

She was standing in front of his parents' house.

And she was singing.

"We were both young when I first saw you
I close my eyes and the flashback starts
I'm standing there on a balcony in summer air

See the lights see the party the ball gowns
See you make your way through the crowd
And say hello
Little did I know

That you were Romeo you were throwing pebbles
And my daddy said "Stay away from Juliet."
And I was crying on the staircase
Begging you, "Please don't go."

She was awful - tone deaf, without the proper pitch or volume.

But to Alex, her voice outshone all the choirs of heaven.

To him - she was a symphony.

"And I said
Romeo take me somewhere we can be alone
I'll be waiting all there's left to do is run
You'll be the prince and I'll be the princess
It's a love story, baby just say "Yes"

By the time she reached the end of the chorus, he was standing right in front of her. He was shocked, enchanted. Her eyes reflected the same, but held a joyful nervousness as well.

"Is this a dream?" Alex whispered.

Isabel smiled, "No. No more dreams for us. Only real life from now on."

"But we thought...how?"

Isabel sighed as the memory of the conversation at the Granolith chamber, the words that had allowed her to be here at this very moment, flashed in her mind.

After the door closed behind Kyle, Max stared at it for a long minute before turning back to Michael and Isabel and Tess. "It's time to decide." He said, his face serious.

Confusion swept across Michael's brow, "What's to decide? We find the Granolith, we go back. That's always been the plan."

"Plans change, Michael. People change." Max explained.

"But Antar…" Isabel started to ask.

"Doesn't need us." Max finished.

"How can you say that?" Tess asked, "The war may be over, but there's still work to do."

"I'm not saying there aren't things we could do. I'm sure each of us could help in our own way. They may want us - but they don't need us. Not like they would have if the fight was still going on. I think…I think we're more legends to them now, than real people. And Larek - he's fought for so long - and he's won. Without the help of the Granolith. If anyone has the right to rule, to decide…to rebuild Antar, it's him." Max said, trying to make them understand.

"So…you don't want to be King?" Tess asked.

"I don't deserve to be King." Max told her, "I never did. I won't go back there and just take over. I would be no better than Kivar if I did. It's Larek's struggle that freed our people …and it's his dedication that's freed us too. If we do decide to go back, I'm giving up the throne, I'll defer to him. And if he doesn't want it…if he's tired - then - then I trust his judgment to decide who should take his place. Either way, I don't plan on being King of anything."

"So you're saying we can stay? We don't have to go?" Isabel asked with unconcealed hope in her voice.

Max smiled at her, "We don't have to do anything - except choose. Decide what we want - the lives we choose to lead. That's the only thing we have to do anymore."

"But why all of that? Why did you let them all leave? Why didn't you say this before?" Isabel asked, wondering why Max let them go through all the pain of good bye.

"I didn't want their presence to pressure you. I wanted you all to be free to choose what you wanted." He told her.

"Just wait a minute." Michael objected, "You're just looking for an excuse - for a way out of going back so you can stay with Liz. Our people sent us here, we have an obligation to them."

"I do want to stay with Liz, I won't lie about that. But if Antar needed me - really needed me, and I had the ability to help - I would go. What I'm trying to say is as far as I'm concerned, our obligation to them has been fulfilled. We've killed Nicolas. Kivar is defeated. The Granolith is safe from our enemies and ready to be returned to its rightful place. I don't think we owe them anything else. There are others - more deserving - just as capable, if not more so, to rule, to govern. We don't owe Antar the rest of our lives, Michael."

Max's words were met with silence as they thought about what he'd said - about things they had never considered.

And then he went on. "If any of you want to go back, I'll go with you. You won't be alone. I'll stand by you, just as you've stood by me all these years. But you each have to decide for yourselves, and it has to be because it's what you want. Not because Nasedo told us it's what we have to want. Not because I'm telling you what you should want. But because it's your choice."

"God Max." Isabel said, pushing a hand through her long hair, "This is just…I never thought we'd be able to. All this time…we've had our destinies shoved down our throats, our lives planned out for us."

Max cut her off, "I realize it's a big decision…but it doesn't have to be a difficult one. I think, deep down, each of you already know what it is you want. I won't presume to guess what that is, but I will tell you this - whatever it is, you have to go after it - grab onto it with both hands. Don't let it slip away. We won't be getting any more lives after this. This is our chance - our one chance - to be happy, to make our lives what we want them to be. What we've been told all this time doesn't matter anymore. This is the only moment that counts."

And looking more regal, more like a King than ever in his life, he told them, "As for destiny? We make our own destinies. Starting right now."
[/i]

"So you're staying? You're really staying?" Alex asked almost not believing.

Isabel sighed, "Remember when you said you'd wait for me? Well, I think you've waited long enough. I'm staying - right here - for as long as you'll have me."

Alex's face slowly broke out into a smile, "How's forever sound? Does forever work for you?"

And he leaned in to kiss her, but her words stopped him. She had to ask - she had to be certain.

"Are you sure, Alex? Are you sure this is what you want? I still have the whole alien thing going on. My life…it won't ever be normal."

Alex tilted his head to the side, looking at her appraisingly as he formulated the words that would make her understand. "When we were in high school, I thought I loved you. You were a goddess - unattainable, unreachable. And then, when I got to know you? When we became friends? I loved you even more. Since then, every new thing I've learned about you has just made that feeling grow deeper and deeper. So, the whole alien thing? For me, it's just one more amazing thing about you to love, Isabel."

She smiled, despite the tears in her eyes. And she leaned in to kiss him, but then his words stopped her.

"Besides - my girlfriend is like…a Jedi! Do you have any idea how cool that is for a guy like me?" He said excitedly.

Isabel rolled her eyes, "Alex."

"Where do you stand on outfits?" He asked her.

"You're pushing it, you know."

"What? I'm not talking about cinnobuns on the side of your head or anything. But there is this gold bikini - I'll show you the part from the movie later - that I think you would look fantastic in."

"Alex." She warned

"Maybe for Halloween?" He asked.

With teasing seriousness, Isabel said, "Shut up and kiss me."

He smiled and told her, "Your wish, is my command."

And then Alex Whitman wrapped Isabel Evans in his arms, and kissed her with all the love and acceptance and desire that was in both of their hearts.

And in that moment, all was right with the world.

So I sneak out to the garden to see you
We keep quiet cause we're dead if they knew
So close your eyes, escape this town for a little while
Cause you were Romeo I was a scarlet letter
And my daddy said "Stay away from Juliet"
But you were everything to me, I was begging you "Please don't go"

Kyle Valenti lay in the same position where he had deposited himself three hours ago. On his couch, on his back, his arm thrown over his eyes. Unable to sleep - unable to think about anything - except Tess.

He'd barely had her. But he missed her already.

A knock came from his front door. But he pretended he didn't hear it.

It came again, and he yelled out harshly, "Nobody's home!"

The knock came yet again and he picked up his shoe from the floor and launched it toward the offending sound, "Go. Away!"

When a forth knock echoed through the house, Kyle dragged himself up from the sofa, ready to tear into the annoying person who had dared disturb his personal pity party.

He made his way to the front door muttering, "Maria - I told you I don't want to talk about…"

He stopped mid-sentence as he opened the door, and his eyes took in the face of his night-time visitor.

It was not Maria.

His eyes met the crystal blue of Tess Harding's, as she stood outside his door. The overhead light from the porch cast her in a divine glow - her golden hair alight, her skin pale and perfect - Kyle thought she looked like an angel.

His face was slack with shock, a part of him wondering if he was actually still asleep on the couch and would awaken at any moment to discover that none of this had been real.

He suppressed the urge to pinch himself.

Tess squirmed under his gaze - his lack of expression offering her no guidance on how to proceed. Her hands clenched in front of her as she said softly, "Hi."

"Hi." Kyle returned, still too surprised to say more.

Tess licked her lips and said, "I…I said I would find you."

"Yeah." Kyle agreed, expressionless. "You did."

In her anxiety over his reaction, Tess then began to babble, "We have a lot to talk about Kyle. I like you - I mean, I like you a lot. But, you know, I'm old fashioned in a way. I know you wouldn't think that because - well because of everything. But I am. And I think that a baby should be born in marriage, but I don't think we need to rush into anything, you know? I think we should get to know each other - date. Take things slow, maybe go out to dinner…or dancing. That was fun. I just think we should…talk."

Shaking out of his astonishment, Kyle stepped foreword and said, "Anything. We can do anything you want. Just…just don't go leaving the planet anytime soon. Okay?"

Tess smiled, knowing then, that everything would be alright. "Deal."

And then, when he was just a breath away from kissing her, Kyle stopped and asked curiously, "Did you say…a baby?"

Tess smiled apologetically at him as she reiterated, "We really do have a lot to talk about."

He chuckled a bit and told her sincerely, "I can't wait. There's nothing I would rather do, than spend the rest of my life talking to you." Then he added sheepishly, "Well, you know, talking and doing other things too."

Kyle caught her laugh as he finally brought his mouth to hers. She wrapped her arms around his neck, and he pulled her close at her waist.

And Tess knew, at last, that she had found her happy ending.

And I said,
Romeo take me somewhere we can be alone
I'll be waiting all there's left to do is run
You'll be the prince and I'll be the princess
It's a love story, baby just say "Yes"
Romeo save me they're tryin' to tell me how to feel
This love is difficult but its real
Don't be afraid we'll make it out of this mess
It's a love story baby just say yes.

I got tired of waiting,
Wondering if you were ever coming around
My faith in you was fading
When I met you on the outskirts of town

Maria moved quickly around her house, randomly picking things up - things she would need - and placing them in one of the two bags that lay open on the floor.

Liz had had the right idea.

She needed to get out of here too - she needed to start her life again. The life she was supposed to have had weeks ago - before Liz got shot - before she had been sucked into the vortex of the alien abyss.

It was time to move on.

Plus, despite what Liz had said, she knew her friend needed her. She didn't want Liz in LA all alone for two weeks until she and Alex could join her. Everything had happened so fast, there had been no time for her to grieve. And Maria knew, when that grief did finally hit, Liz would need someone with her - someone who could understand what it all was really about.

She would be that someone.

A sound outside - on her front step - startled her from her thoughts. She dropped to her knees, crawled to the window and peeked out the blinds. She was being paranoid, she knew, but after everything that had just happened - after all they had just been through - she thought a little paranoia was called for.

Maria could make out two shadowed figures nearing her front door. She started to panic. Who would be coming to her house at this time of night? It wasn't Kyle or Alex - she could tell - though because the front bulb was out, she couldn't make out the faces.

She crawled across the floor to the closet and got out the baseball bat she kept there for just such occasions. She made her way over to the front door and jerked it open, fully intending to take off the head of whatever threatening force - human or alien - happened to be standing on the other side.

But she paused mid-swing.

Because standing at her front door, his hand raised and ready to knock, was none other than Michael Guerin.

Slowly, cautiously, Maria lowered her bat, her face a mixture of shock and suspicion.

"So," Michael began clearing his throat, "I have this idea for my next painting. I thought about it the whole way here. I'm thinking rolling green hills and fields, in every kind of green you can imagine - Kelly, lime, whatever. And covering the hills and fields are stems - thousands of stems - but not one petal anywhere. And I know just what I'll call it. Deflowered."

And then Michael smiled - full and genuine.

And it was the most beautiful thing Maria had ever seen.

But still she held back, needing to know, "You stayed?" She asked, "For me?"

And I said,
Romeo save me - I've been felling so alone
I keep waiting for you but you never come
Is this in my head I don't know what to think
He knelt to the ground and pulled out a ring and said

Michael's expression became more serious as he told her, "I wanted to go. I did. But when the time came - when it came down to it - I just couldn't imagine that anyone or anything up there…could ever be better than you."

The bat fell from her hand, forgotten, as Maria launched herself into Michael's arms. He felt the tears on her cheeks as she kissed him long and hard and lovingly. He held her tight, so she couldn't get away - so he would never slip away from her again. "I love you Maria." Michael whispered in her ear, so softly she barely heard him.

Marry me Juliet you never have to be alone
I love you and that's all I really know
I talked to your dad go pick out a white dress
It's a love story baby just say
"Yes"

Before she could respond in kind, the clearing of a throat behind Michael had her raising her head from his lips. She slid her legs down from where she had locked them behind his waist when she saw Max staring at them in anticipation.

He hadn't wanted to interrupt them - he'd tried to be patient - but that was one virtue he'd never possessed.

"Is Liz here?" He asked in such a boyishly hopeful way that Maria's heart broke for him.

"No Max. She's gone. She left." Maria said sadly. "As soon as we got back to town, she had Kyle take her to get her purse from the motel, and then she called a cab. She kept saying she had to get away, she couldn't take it, she couldn't stay here a minute longer. I tried to stop her, I tried to go with her, but she wouldn't let me. She told me she'd call me in a couple of days."

"Where did the cab take her?" Max asked, undeterred by the information.

"To the airport. I think she's going back to LA."

Max nodded, "I need a car."

"Here," Maria told him, grabbing her keys from the front table, "Take mine."

She tossed them to Max, who caught them gratefully and jogged towards the Jetta. As he did, he could hear Maria and Michael already starting to bicker playfully.

"What took you so long to get here? It's been hours."

"Well, it takes hours to get back from the desert when you have to walk half the way and hitch-hike the rest. Why did you take both cars?"

"Well excuse us. We didn't think you'd need a car - you know - from outer space! Next time we'll leave Max's car and let the FBI have the damn thing."

"There won't be a next time, Maria."

Max chuckled as he started the car, leaving Michael and Maria to the heated reunion only they could have.

Larek had taken the news that the royals would be remaining on earth much better than Max had expected. He told them he would be able to contact them using the Granolith from time to time - to keep them updated on their people and their progress. He said he understood - that though their memories were the same, they were not the same people they had been - and Antar was no longer their home.

Home.

He couldn't help the smile that crept up his face as he drove, of the tingle of excitement that curled in his stomach at the prospect of seeing Liz. Of sweeping her into his arms and telling her that he was free - that he loved her - that there would never be a reason for him to leave her again.

He had a lot to make up for, he knew.

He had put Liz second. He had stayed behind to give Michael and Isabel and Tess his support- because he felt he owed that to them.

But in doing so, he had left Liz out in the cold - shut out from his plans and his hopes - at a time when she had needed him the most.

But that would never happen again.

From this point on they were all free to live their lives. Just as they had fulfilled their obligations to Antar, Max believed he had repaid his debt to the others.

Nothing would ever come before Liz in his life - ever. She was all that mattered to him - and he would gladly spend the rest of his days proving it to her.

If she would let him.

But she had to, he argued with himself. It had all worked out so well for the others.

He had seen how readily Maria had accepted Michael back into her life. And he had no doubt the same had gone for Tess and Isabel. And though Max knew the others all cared for each other - he also knew their feelings couldn't hold a candle to what he and Liz felt for each other - what they had built together over the last few weeks.

God, he couldn't wait to hold her again.

Every cheesy romance movie Isabel and Tess had ever forced him to watch ran through his head. Every sappy love song he had only bothered to listen to during the last few days filled his mind.

He would sing to Liz, serenade her, shower her with poetry and gifts and flowers. He would run…he would crawl…he would beg and plead and happily do whatever she told him, just so long as she let him love her the rest of their lives.

Finally, Max parked the car at the airport, and ran into the terminal. He scanned the departing flight board and was relieved when he saw that the one flight leaving for LA was still there.

He jogged to Gate Two and searched each and every face in the waiting area.

But he didn't see Liz anywhere.

Where was she?

He checked the awaiting passengers once more to be sure, and then he made his way over to the clerk's desk.

"Excuse me." He said, trying to sound calm, "I'm looking for a Liz Parker. Can you tell me if she's listed on this flight please?"

Annoyed, the clerk glanced up briefly from the newspaper he was reading, and said, "That information is classified and can not be released, sir."

Max ground his teeth.

There was a time, not long ago that he would have simply reached over and taken the information right out of the man's mind, with Tess by his side of course, to mind warp the victim and whoever may have witnessed the act.

But Max didn't even consider it.

Liz had forever changed him. He would never be that person - that alien - again.

But, that didn't mean he was above bending the truth when needed.

"This is a medical emergency." Max explained, taking his hospital badge from his wallet and handing it to the clerk, his tone and manner now strictly, but urgently professional. "It is imperative that I find Elizabeth Parker. Trust me, you do not want to be the one responsible for letting her on one of your planes. You would be opening yourself up to a barrage of law suits, if she were to infect the other passengers."

Now giving Max his full attention, the clerk parroted, "Infect?"

"That's what I said. Now, if you would be so kind as to assist me in this urgent matter? Elizabeth Parker - is she on this flight?" Max asked slowly, as if speaking to a child.

The clerk's hands flew across the keyboard and he skimmed the information that came to him on the screen, "No sir - ah…doctor. There is no one with that name on the passenger list."

"Is this the only flight to LA?" Max asked.

"Yes it is."

Max cursed under his breath. Then an idea occurred to him, "Langley. Could you please check for Liz Langley? If not on this flight, then any others that may be departing soon."

Again the clerk typed rapidly, and squinted his eyes at what he read, "There is no Liz or Elizabeth Langley listed on this or any other flight, doctor."

Before Max could curse again, the clerk added, "However, there is a private jet, registered to a Kal Langley, that is scheduled to depart in…well any moment now."

"What gate?" Max asked, frantically.

"Gate 12."

Max was off and running down the main airport walkway. Arms pumping, legs reaching. It was not an unusual sight to see at an airport - someone dashing for a nearly missed flight. But it was the look on his face that had people pausing to stare after him - the naked desperation in his eyes as he ran.

He could not be too late.

He could not miss her.

He could not let her go.

Max saw the display for Gate Twelve just ahead of him, and in seconds he was rounding the corner to the waiting area.

He got there just in time.

Just in time to see Kal Langley's jet, with Liz inside, leave the ground and climb high into the evening sky.
trulov
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Falling Dominoes (CCw/UC Adult) 02/11 Important AN pg 13

Post by trulov »

Happy Valentine's Day!

I'm posting two parts today - to make up for the long wait. And because I think you all deserve some happy closure - today of all days.

Thanks for all your comments and for reading!

Chapter 61

Song - Dear God by Avenged Sevenfold

A lonely road, crossed another cold state line
Miles away from those I love
Hope is hard to fine
While I recall all the words you spoke to me
Can't help but wish that I was there
Back where I'd love to be

Dear God
The only thing I ask of you
Is to hold her when I'm not around
When I'm much too far away
We all need that person who can be true to you
I left her when I found her
And now I wish I stayed
Cause I'm lonely and I'm tired
I'm missing you again, oh no
Once again.

Kal Langley's jet never landed in California.

Max tried to track it down, to get access to the pilot's flight plan so he could follow, but his medical badge and title only got him so far. Having no other recourse, he stayed in LA.

To wait.

It would be two long weeks before there was any word from Liz. That word came in the form of a letter. To Maria

Liz wrote to apologize for not contacting her sooner. To explain that she needed time - alone - to get herself together, to deal with everything that had happened too quickly for her to deal with before. To confess how she couldn't stand the thought of returning to the mansion and finding that it was no longer the home of her childhood, but just a big empty house. She promised that Langley Productions would take good care of the The Whits - she had made sure of it. She assured them, the time would come when she would to return to LA - to reunite with them, her dear friends. She just didn't know when that time would be.

After the letter arrived, Max was even more consumed with finding Liz. When he'd touched the letter, he'd gotten a flash of Liz writing it. She'd been crying - lonely, sad and afraid. And it tore him up inside.

He tried to speak to the executives at Langley Productions, implored them for any clue, but they insisted they had no idea where Liz would have gone. He even searched out Liz's attorney, begging for information, but they too had no information to give.

As days turned to weeks, Max began to sink into a dark depression. One day, he drowned himself in a bottle of wine, thinking of Liz - trying to relive the memory. Drunk, he returned to Langley Towers, angry and accusing, convinced they were keeping Liz from him. Security was called, and he was promptly escorted from the building and arrested.

Max had been lucky that day, in more ways than one.

Miraculously, he hadn't, in his stupor, used his powers. The executives at Liz's company never knew they had been dealing with an inebriated former alien King. They simply presumed he was a slightly unstable ex-boyfriend on a tirade.

Isabel also just happened to be in town that weekend, visiting Alex. She bailed Max out of jail, and used her skills as an attorney to smooth things over, convincing the production company to drop any charges.

It was a visit from Michael and Maria that finally brought Max back from the brink. Maria had told him he needed to get his shit together - that he and Liz still had a future together...it had only been delayed. Michael asked him what kind of man he wanted to be - who he wanted Liz to find waiting for her when she did eventually return.

It was that thought that made him finally drag himself out of bed.

He never stopped trying to find her though. He would orchestrate situations where he would "accidentally" run into acquaintances of Liz's, trying to glean any idea of where she would have fled to. He continued with his story about a medical urgency, resulting in her attorney's promise to inform Liz that a Max Evans was looking for her, when and if she chose to make contact.

Despite his repeated attempts to find Liz, the truth was much of Max's time was spent simply thinking about her. He knew he needed to do something else - find a job.

But he was reluctant.

He was waiting for Liz, in every sense of the word, and he wanted her to know that. He never wanted her to think that he had just gone on with life without her.

About six weeks after Liz's disappearance, on the day Max achingly realized he and Liz had by then, been apart much longer than they had been together, he walked past a free clinic near the eastern side of LA.

He thought of all that Liz had told him, about making amends for Grant Sorrenson - of all she had tried to teach him, of the kind of human being she thought he could be.

So it was for her that he walked into the clinic to volunteer his services. The patients who came usually required simple surgical procedures - stitching and irrigation - the more critically injured were taken to fully equipped hospitals. It was a small thing, but for Max it was a start.

Isabel had been thrilled with the idea. She worried about Max constantly. As her relationship progressed with Alex, she couldn't help but turn her thoughts sympathetically to Liz and her brother. It was they after all, who had brought them all together. It was just so unfair, that while the rest of them were so delightfully content in their relationships, and moving forward, Max and Liz remained separated.

She'd tried to dream walk Liz. Once.

It had not gone well.

The moment Liz saw Isabel, she had been terrified, and somehow forced the hybrid right out of her dream. The knowledge made Max wonder if he had not been the only victim of Lonnie's twisted dream walks.

It tortured him to wonder what else Liz had gone through, in those days, that he was unaware of.

There was so much they hadn't had time to talk about. So many things he wished that he had told her. Hopes and plans, that at the time, he thought he was being noble in keeping to himself. In hindsight, he now realized how foolish he'd been. That in trying to shield Liz disappointment, he had only succeeded, in the end, of driving her firmly away. He had never given her the impression that there was a possibility, however remote, of a future for them together.

It was no wonder that Liz seemed in no hurry to return - to start her life again - a life that she was fully certain, could never, ever include him.

Not a minute passed when Max didn't think of her. Was she lonely, was she scared? Did she have someone to hold her? To make the pain and grief easier to bare? Although the thought of Liz with someone else was a difficult one, the alternative actually disturbed him more.

That she was utterly alone in life - hounded by the things she had seen, and felt, and experienced.

That she believed he didn't want her, need her - at least not enough.

That her time with him had somehow broken her inside - robbed her of the joyous passion for living that had always been so profound in Liz.

These were the thoughts that filled his days, and haunted his nights. These were his greatest fears. That when he did finally find Liz, it would be too late.

That she wouldn't be able to trust him again, that she would be too afraid of being hurt again, that their emotional separation would be much too far for him to ever bridge.

There's nothing here
For me on this barren road
There's no one here while the city sleeps
And all the shops are closed
Can't help but think of the times I had with you
Pictures and some memories will have to help me through, oh yeah

Dear God
And now I wish I stayed
Once again.

Lightening tore through the California sky, but the rain would not come.

Max sat in his car across the street from the mansion. He watched as the last servant left the house, setting the security system and then locking the door behind her.

After the worker was gone, and all was quiet, Max got out of his car and used his powers to open the gate and front door.

The only sound in the house was the echo of his lonely footsteps as he climbed the stairs to Langley's office.

This was his church, where he came every night - not to pray - but to touch a piece of Liz, to be close to her.

Like a ghost, he haunted the mansion, touching things she had touched, and seeing Liz as she had been, reliving the memories she had made. It was sweet torture, to see her, to hear her - the flashes were all he had left.

He walked around a bit, drinking in her presence that lingered all around. He touched the small desk that sat in the far corner, though the owner had long outgrown it. As Max's fingers sailed over the white wood, the flash came.

Liz at five, her hair in long braids, her dark soulful eyes unchanged by time as she holds out her hand across the desk to the brown stuffed bear sitting in the chair across from her, "This will be a lucrative deal for us both. I look forward to working with you, Mr. Bear."

Langley, at his own larger desk, pen in one hand, cigar in the other, laughter crinkling his eyes as he watches her.

She looks at him suspiciously, "Are you laughing at me Kalvin?"

"Who, me? I would never. You, my dear, are much too smart…and pretty I might add…to ever be laughed at."

Still not completely convinced, Liz turns back to the "work" at her desk with a small, "Thank you."

Max smiled at the images.

He moved out into the hall, where a table stood below a mirror. On the table were photographs, some of Liz and Langley, some just of Liz alone. Max's eyes found one of Liz, she looked to be about seventeen. He traced the photo with his finger, in the same way he longed to touch her face.

Max walked to Liz's old bedroom. It was his favorite room in the house. Langley hadn't changed it at all after she'd moved out to her own apartment.

And she was everywhere. Every book, every picture, every piece of furniture held some part of her. He sat on the bed and ran his palm over the soft comforter. He inhaled sharply as he saw her in his mind.

Liz, about nineteen, sitting on her bed, writing in her journal, a small smile playing at her lips. Writing about the future…about what she wants her life to be. Her endlessly long hair falls all around her, her eyes soft and warm in the dim light. She sighs tiredly, and puts the journal away. She snuggles back into the pillows and closes her eyes, giving herself over to sweet slumber.

Max opened his eyes, his heart aching in his chest.

He missed her so much.

Some search, never finding a way
Before long they waste away
I found you, something told me to stay
I gave in, to selfish ways
And how I miss someone to hold
When hope begins to fade
A lonely road, crossed another cold state line
Miles away from those I love
Hope is hard to fine

Dear God
And now I wish I stayed
Once again.

Max walked into his hotel room, where he had lived for the last two months. Isabel kept telling him to get an apartment, that he was throwing money out the window. But he wouldn't. This was not where he lived - it was just a place to sleep. When he found a place - be it an apartment, or a house - it would be somewhere that he and Liz would choose together.

He pushed the button on the answering machine and Maria's voice filled the room. "Hey girlfriend! So Alex and I are at the airport. The flight to Roswell leaves in two hours - so there's still time for you to get your butt over here and come home."

Max snorted at her words.

Home.

"Isabel said your mom is freaking because you refuse to come back for Christmas. You should think about it - it'll be fun, I swear. Alex and I are going to spike the punch at your sister's party. I am just dying to see what Michael's like when he's drunk! Anyway, like I said…we'll be in Roswell if you need us. If I don't talk to you in the next few days…have a Merry Christmas Max. Try not to think too much, okay? She'll come back. I know she will. Bye Max."

Max pushed the delete button on the machine, and then lifted his shirt over his head. He was tired - it had actually been a long day at the clinic. There had been an high number of patients who had been mugged and robbed. Apparently, the holidays brought out the best and the worst in people.

He stretched and lay back on the bed, shirtless, clad only in jeans. As soon as his head hit the pillow, the phone rang.

Like clockwork.

He picked it up, not needing to check the ID, "Hey Isabel." He greeted his sister, who called each and every night.

"You're still at the motel? Did Maria not call you?" He could hear the annoyance in her tone.

"She did. She left me a message."

Isabel sighed, "I was hoping she would get through to you. You know our mother is a basket case, Max. She doesn't understand why you've just taken off to California, abandoning all the people in your life."

"I didn't abandon anyone. I told her that."

"Well, you should tell her again. She saw Tess at the supermarket. If looks could kill, Tess would be six feet under. You know mom blames her for your leaving? She thinks she was cheating on you with Kyle, and when you found out you couldn't take it and took off."

Max rubbed his eyes, "I'll call her tomorrow. I'll try and explain." And then he asked, "How is Tess, by the way?"

"She's good. She's getting big and uncomfortable. But Kyle's been great. He's taking good care of her." Isabel said, her voice softening.

"That's good."

Pleadingly, Isabel started, "Come home Max. It's Christmas. You should be with your family…not in some cold hotel room all by yourself." She paused and then continued softly, sympathetically, "She's not there, Max."

"I know that. But someday she will be - and I plan on being here when that day comes." Max answered.

"I'm just worried about you. I don't know how to help you."

Max smiled at her concern, "You can't help me, Iz. This is the bed I made, remember? I've got no choice but to sleep in it."

Trying one last time, Isabel told him, "But couldn't you just come back for one day? For Christmas? Mom and Dad would be so happy. Oh and guess what? They're calling for snow on Christmas Eve! Can you imagine what Roswell will look like covered in white? Everything will be so crisp. Just like a…"

Max bolted straight up in bed, cutting her off he asked, "What did you just say?"

"About the snow? Yeah, they're saying maybe six inches. Don't you think it will make a beautiful Christmas? Clean and…"

Max wasn't listening to Isabel anymore. All he could hear were the words - Liz's words - that she had spoken on top of the Ferris Wheel months earlier.

Have you ever been to Colorado?

It's beautiful. Just white as far as you can see - everything always looks clean and new.

We should go one day

"Isabel, I have to go." He said seriously as he rose from the bed.

"What? Why? What's wrong?"

"Nothing." Max assured her as he shoved the few items he owned into the bag, "Nothing's wrong. I have to get to the airport. I think…I think I know where she is. I have to go."

"Okay Max. Call me soon?" Isabel said softly, afraid to hope for her brother.

"I will." He promised, already walking out the door, "And Iz? Thank you."

PART 62 IS ON THE NEXT PAGE :D
Last edited by trulov on Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
trulov
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Falling Dominoes (CCw/UC Adult) 02/11 Important AN pg 13

Post by trulov »

There's a line in this part, inspired by a line in the movie - When a Man loves a Woman. No copyright infringement intended.

Chapter 62
Song - No Place That Far by Sarah Evans

Nancy Jeffries had come to Colorado three weeks ago. She was a good skier, and was working to earn her instructor certification. She was always ready with a kind greeting, but otherwise kept mostly to herself.

She was beautiful, but her eyes held a silent sadness that no one who saw her could quite understand.

She'd had offers for dinner dates from other guests, as well as the young shaggy haired men who worked there - but she turned down each and every one.

She came in early, spent her days on the slopes, and went back to her own cabin at the top of the mountain when the sun went down for the rest of the night…every night.

This was what Max learned after arriving at the elite ski resort, just outside of Aspen. After he had shown the young man at the desk Liz's picture - the one Michael had sketched for him.

At the airport, he had made some calls to find the top resorts - those who catered to the very rich - the only place a man like Kal Langley would have gone. It seemed that luck was finally turning in his favor, as his plane came in, minutes before a heavy blizzard hit. That luck stayed with him as he arrived at the secluded resort, simply named The Lodge, and discovered that this one - the first on his list - was the right one.

And then it seemed that all of Max's good luck had been used up, as he was told that the storm, which had already covered the area with a foot of fresh snow, had also made the only road to Liz's cabin impassible by car.

They had offered him a room, which he declined. He wouldn't need it.

Liz Parker had changed many things about Max Evans in the few weeks she'd been in his life. Two things she had not changed, however, were his stubborn streak - so much like her own - and his arrogance.

Max gazed up at the blackened night and the silhouette of the impressive mountain that stood in his way.

She was here.

He had found her - after what seemed like an eternity - he had finally found her. And there was no way he was going to let such an insignificant force as mother nature keep him from her.

He was going to her. And he was going tonight.

Two hours later, Max was having serious doubts about his own intelligence as he trudged up the steep road, covered in slick ice and snow. Icicles hung from his lashes, his shoulders were hunched, and his bare hands were shoved into his pocket in a futile attempt to keep warm.

He had stopped shivering about thirty minutes earlier - a fact which he knew from his medical training was not a good sign. Shivering was the body's way to try and maintain warmth. The fact that his no longer was showed that his brain had gone into survival mode - using all of its energy to try and keep itself functioning and alive - letting his limbs fend for themselves. His bag had been discarded somewhere behind him as he no longer had the strength to carry it.

His knees gave out just then and as he fell to the icy ground the very real possibility that he could die, on this night, in the middle of nowhere, occurred to him.

He might actually die - and Liz would never know he had come for her.

That he had stayed for her.

That he loved her enough to forsake everything in his life that he had always held dear. She would never know.

He lay on the ground, trying to gather his strength, as the cold seeped into him like a thousand sharp blades. His breath came out in visible puffs of white, as a dizzying array of flakes continued to fall upon him.

He was so cold. He had walked so far. He was so tired. Maybe if he just rested a moment, if he just closed his eyes he would find the power to get up and keep going.

But his mind - the part that had actually been gifted enough to complete medical school, told him that was a mistake. If he stayed where he was, if he closed his eyes to rest - even for a little while - he would die - plain and simple.

And then he saw Liz in his mind - her tender smile and warm loving eyes. And with that image giving him strength, Max forced himself to move. He rolled to his side, braced his weight on his knees and hands, and he stood.

And then he saw it.

Right in front of him - down a long driveway - there were lights. Lights from the windows of a small cabin set back, but visible from the road. He had been so focused on putting one foot in front of the other, he could have marched right past, had his legs not failed him.

Max stood frozen in wonder, and he breathed deep, smelling the sweet smoke of a burning fire that rose from the cabin's chimney.

He'd made it.

And with renewed excitement, Max found the energy to move - to walk - to run. He ran up the driveway, oblivious to the thick snow that was as high as his knees and threatened to trip him. He ran towards the comfort and shelter of the cabin.

He ran to Liz.

Every night that they had been apart, Max had fantasized about what his reunion with Liz would be like. He dreamed up a thousand scenarios of her falling into his arms, of passionate kisses, of maybe even a few heated words.

But in all his imaginings, Max had never anticipated Liz's response to seeing him again would be fear.

Complete and utter terror.

But that was exactly the emotion that reflected back at him when Liz opened the door to find him standing on her front step.

Her face went deathly white, her eyes widened, and she stepped back from him wearing a look that spoke of absolute panic.

"Who are you?" She whispered.

Confused, he took a step forward, "Liz?"

"Don't! Don't come any closer!" She yelled as she backed away and grabbed for the poker next to the fireplace. She held it out in front of her.

"Liz? Liz it's me – it's Max." He tried, as the wind pulled the door closed behind him.

"Max is gone." She stated flatly, and he flinched from the absolute certainty in her voice. "What are you? A skin? A double? Some kind of shape shifter?"

"Liz…" Max whispered brokenly as he took another step towards her.

"Stay away!" She screamed, and Max stopped, his hands held up in surrender.

"Go away - just leave me alone!" She cried and Max's heart broke just a little more.

He didn't want to frighten her - it was the last thing he ever wanted to do. But there was no way he was leaving either.

He had to find a way to make her see.

He had to make her believe.

Max looked into her eyes and said, "The name you're using? Nancy Jeffries? Those were your parents' names - Nancy and Jeff Parker. They were killed in a car accident when you were a baby. I finally figured out you might come here - to this place - because the man who raised you, Kal Langley - you called him Kalvin when you were little - brought you here when you were young. When you skied straight down the mountain, scaring him half to death."

Still seeing the distrust in her eyes, Max took a hesitant step forward and continued, "You…you don't like to lose and you're good at almost everything you do. You love music. You think it's because your father was a musician, but I think it's just you - how you see the world, you find beauty in everything you see - everything you hear around you. You like to drink wine, but…it gives you a headache in the morning. You like to jog."

When she didn't protest, Max took another small step towards her, inching closer.

"You got that scar above your eye when you were seven and you slid down the stair railing and fell, even though Langley had told you over and over not to do it. You love thunder storms - they make you feel…safe. You're brave and fearless and so heartbreakingly loyal. You trust…you give your whole heart, everything you are to the people you love. And there's nothing…nothing you wouldn't do, wouldn't face for them. You have a hundred different kinds of smiles and I have thought about every single one of them, every day, for the last two months. It's me, Liz. I swear it's me. I tried so hard to find you - I've missed you…so much."

By the time Max had finished speaking, tears were falling on his icy cheeks.

Hypnotized by his words, Liz had slowly lowered the poker and stared at him, "Max?" She choked out.

He managed half a smile, "Yeah. Yeah, it's me."

Liz sucked in a breath, dropped the poker on the floor and flew to him.

He caught her in his arms and buried his face in her hair, both in tears, both filled with aching relief at finally, at last, having found one another.

After a moment, Liz pulled back and wiped at the wetness of her face. "God, Max - you're freezing!" She looked at his red and raw hands that refused to let go of her, and she gasped, "Your hands! You walked all this way? In this storm - without gloves - without a hat - are you crazy?"

"I think… I think I might be…a little bit…yeah." Max answered as he let her drag him near to the fire and throw a soft blanket over his shoulders. She held his hands between her own, and pressed them to her flannel covered chest, to warm them.

They knelt facing one another, and she released his hands to touch his face, marveling that she could actually touch him - that he was really here - that this wasn't just another dream.

She took a moment to look at him. His hair was longer, the dark strands brushing the nape of his neck. He looked tired and his cheeks were flushed from the cold. His golden gaze devoured her, his eyes intense and filled with love - for her.

Max rubbed his hands on her shoulders and upper arms, and then his fingers combed through the softness of her hair. He couldn't stop touching her. He couldn't take his eyes off of her.

She was lovelier than he remembered - more stunning than anything his mind had conjured while they'd been apart. The only sign of how hard the last months had been for her, the only mar to her countenance, were the dark circles that hung beneath her beautiful eyes. Eyes that sparkled with love - for him.

I can't imagine, any greater fear
Then waking up, without you here,
And though the sun, will still shine on,
My whole world, would all be gone,
But not for long,

Liz's brow wrinkled as she asked, "When…when did you get back?"

"I never left."

"But…?"

"We sent the Granolith back to Antar alone. We all decided to stay - that this was where we wanted to be. I tried to get to the airport in time, but I missed you."

"So all this time you've been…"

"Looking for you…waiting for you. I'm sorry Liz. I never should have let you walk out of that cave alone."

If I had to run, if I had to crawl
If I had to swim a hundred rivers, just to climb a thousand walls,
Always know that I will find a way, to get to where you are,
There's no place that far

Her face softened in understanding, "It's alright Max. I always knew it was what you had to do. I always understood who you were - that your obligations came first."

"But they shouldn't have. And they never will again. Nothing will ever come before you - before us. I love you, Liz - so much. More than I ever thought possible - even more than the last time I saw you. I love you more." He paused to caress her cheek with his now warm hand, "I want a life…a lifetime with you. I always did."

Liz's gaze fell to the floor and she asked softly, "What about Tess?"

Max gave a small smile as he told her, "Tess married Kyle six weeks ago."

Liz's eyes snapped back to his in surprise.

"They're expecting their first child in about a month."

She shook her head slightly in disbelief, "A month? But how?"

Max shrugged, "When alien and human DNA mix, it changes things a little. It's a long story." And then he added truthfully, "There would have been no going back for Tess and I anyway. We were over before you left. We were over the day you touched me. I just didn't know it yet."

She opened her mouth to respond, but Max cut her off, "There's something I need to tell you. Something I should have said a long time ago - that I've regretted not telling you all this time."

It wouldn't matter why were apart,
Lonely minds or two stubborn hearts
Nothing short of God above
Could turn me away from your love
I need you that much

His hands had risen to hold her face, and she covered them with her own - rubbing her thumbs on his reassuringly, silently begging him to go on.

"My whole life, I've been searching for something. I can't remember a time when I wasn't yearning for it - looking for it."

"The Granolith?" Liz asked.

And Max smiled again at her, "No. My home. I've been looking for my home - the place where I belong. And I finally found it…but… I let it slip away. I won't ever make that mistake again, Liz."

Deeper confusion filled her eyes at what he was trying to tell her, and Max was staggered by it.

She really didn't know.

"You mean Antar? Earth?" She tried.

"I mean you. You are my home. By your side, in your arms is the only place I've ever felt like I belong. I found my home - the only one I ever want - in you. And I don't ever want to be apart from you again. I want you, Liz - I want us - forever." Max lowered his eyes and said hesitantly, "If…if you still want me, that is."

Liz heard the uncertainty in his final words, saw the self-doubt in his expression. And she told him, "Do you know why I came here? To Colorado?"

Max shook his head.

"When I first left Roswell, I went everywhere…and nowhere. The Caribbean, Europe…I just wanted to forget, to disappear. I ran and ran as fast as the jet would take me. After three weeks, I ended up in New York. Kal and I were supposed to go there…together." Max heard the hurt - still fresh and raw when she spoke Langley's name.

"New York was nice. It kept me busy, I never had to sit still. There are people - all kinds of people - and I could blend in…make believe that everything was…normal. But it wasn't home. And then I thought of that day at the carnival - I was so happy that day - with you. And I thought of all I'd imagined for us on the ferris wheel. And that's when I came here. I still keep busy - I ski, I study for my certification. But every night, I come back here. And do you know what I do?"

Again, Max shook his head.

Tears shined in her eyes, reflecting the firelight, and her voice broke as she told him, "I pretend. I pretend that Kal isn't really gone. That he's just on some business trip and I'm waiting for him to call. I pretend that you're not really gone either. That you're out on the slopes, or at work and I'm waiting for you to come home. It's pathetic, I know, but it's the only way I've been able to make it this long. I missed you so much. It hurt…everyday…it hurt like…like this open wound that never healed - that never got any better. And now you're here - and it doesn't hurt anymore, Max. You healed me…again. "I love you Max, I haven't stopped. I want that life we imagined - forever. I want to be your home…because…you're mine."

Her words were a gift, a treasure, like her love and Max was grateful and humbled. Unable to hold back any more, he held her face and caressed her cheek with his thumb. Ever so slowly, torturously so, he brought his face nearer to hers.

He wanted to savor the moment, remember every breath, every detail. This would be their first real kiss - their first free kiss - when the only duty he had was to Liz - to live for her, to love her.

Finally, his lips met hers, both of his embracing her upper one, encasing it languidly, tenderly.

Baby there's no place that far.

He pulled back and caught her smile, before delving back in for more. He turned her head slightly to the side as he brought his mouth once more to hers. This time lip to lip, firmer with more pressure, their mouths slightly opened, just enough that he could taste the sweet breath that made him giddy.

As Max's lips came to hers for the third time, Liz was soaring, coming alive like she never imagined, never dared hope she would again. The third touch was longer, just as gentle, but passionate too.

It was she who traced Max's bottom lip with her tongue, begging for entrance. A request he was thrilled to grant.

And when she brushed her tongue against his, a fire spread throughout her body, starting low in her stomach, lighting a scorching path through her chest and down her thighs to the tips of her fingers and toes. The sensation caused her to raise up on her knees, wrap her arms tighter around his neck pulling him closer as their tongues continued their embrace, and she helplessly pressed her body more firmly against his.

Max continued to kiss - to love Liz with his mouth. Slowly, deliberately, and then fervently, over and over his lips moved against hers.

In all the times they had made love, some dramatic situation or traumatic event had always been at the cusp on their consciousness. It had given an urgency to their movements, a frenzied heat to the act, which had at the time been anything but unpleasant.

But this time, this first time since they had found one another again, renewed and reunited, this time Max swore they would take their time. He wanted to worship her, rediscover and memorize every inch of her, savor and delight in each sound that fell from her delectable lips.

He heard her sigh as he moved his mouth to her neck, kissing a trail from her jaw to her ear and down to her shoulder, as his hand pushed the fabric aside before returning to trace tiny circles up and down her spine.

Liz caught his hands with her own and raised them up above their heads, entwining their fingers, until Max's palms skimmed down her arms to the hem of her shirt, that he raised over her head and off her body. She lowered her arms then, as his hands, now hot as cinders, held her bare waist. She deftly unzipped his jacket and unbuttoned the shirt below it, and with his help pushed the garments off his chest and down his arms.

And then Max brought his arms back around Liz again. With a feather light touch his fingers traced her spine once more, up to her neck, before they were buried in her hair. He felt her moan against his lips and answered with one of his own as their bare torsos touched and her full breasts stroked against the hardness of his chest.

Liz caressed his neck with her mouth, with her tongue, burning a trail down to his abdomen, loving the taste of him, the feel of him, not knowing how she ever survived without him. As she brought her mouth back up to his, needing more of him, wanting to feel his mouth on hers again, she whispered, "I can't believe you stayed for me. That you gave all of that up…for me."

Hearing her words, Max pulled slightly back from her searching lips, and touched his forehead to hers, holding her still as he told her, "I would die for you. I'm going to spend the rest of our lives showing you. You'll never have a reason to doubt it."

And then he was kissing her again, his embrace tightening, pulling her so hard against him, her knees lifted from the floor. Then he was slowly, tenderly, laying her down onto her back, and as she touched the soft carpet, Liz said in a hushed voice, "I believe you."

Minutes turned to hours and still they stayed, in front of the fire, their bodies tangled, their hands touching, their lips tasting, skin to skin. Finally, they were one, joined so close, so deeply in mind and body, they couldn't tell where one ended and the other began. They moved as one, their skin sliding against the others in the timeless dance of lovers, giving and taking the ultimate pleasure.

And every gasp, every moan, every fevered whisper of the other's name, each reverent touch and gentle caress was a promise, a pledge, of many nights - a lifetime of nights - just like this one.
trulov
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Falling Dominoes (CCw/UC Adult) 02/14 Part 61 & 62 pgs 13/14

Post by trulov »

Hey guys! Ok - so this is the last part and then the epilogue.

Thank you for all your comments. For reading this and taking this ride with me. :D

Chapter 63

For two weeks Max and Liz stayed in the cabin. Like honeymooners, their days were spent making love and talking about everything and nothing. No topic, no secret, no feeling was left out - and after fourteen days they were as close as two people could be.

Then, when there was not a scrap of food left in the cabin - not a crumb of bread or a can of beans, they were forced to venture out - back to reality - back to the world. Their first stop had been the grocery store, where they stocked up on supplies and necessities. Once those items were put away, they spent the remainder of that day naked, in front of the fireplace, in the bedroom, in the bathtub. To renew their strength, they made dinner together that they shared as they watched the snow fall outside the window.

The next day, Liz convinced Max to try skiing. Just as she had predicted, he was a natural. After a few falls, they took on even the most challenging of hills together, with enjoyable success. Over the course of the next few days, they partook in all the activities The Lodge had to offer - tubing, racing on snow mobiles, even trying their hands at bingo, which was held for all the guests in the main building each night.

They built a snow man outside their cabin, and ended one day with a vigorous snow ball fight, laughing and wrestling like children.

It was perfect. It was paradise.

Then, almost a month after Max had found her, they got the call from Isabel.

Tess was in labor.

Due to the alien-related nature of her pregnancy, going to a hospital was out of the question, so Max was needed back in Roswell to assist.

And there was no doubt that Liz would be going with him.

"Okay Tess, push!" Isabel coached as the tiny blond struggled through the contraction on the bed. She had been in labor for sixteen hours, and was visibly exhausted.

As the last contraction ended, Tess wailed, "I can't take it anymore. Just kill me already. It hurts, Kyle." She whimpered, holding his hand, "It hurts so much."

Deeply concerned blue eyes met amber ones as Kyle asked, "Is this normal? Is it supposed to be this bad?"

Max had diligently monitored Tess' progress and assured Kyle without worry, "Everything's fine. Childbirth is painful. Most women can use drugs to dull the pain, but unfortunately that's not an option for us."

They already knew, as hybrids, that they were sensitive to alcohol - they had no idea how the baby would be affected by narcotics, so Tess was forced to labor completely naturally.

Isabel popped an ice chip in her mouth as Tess rested back against the pillow and said wearily, "What do you mean 'us'? I'm the one doing all the work here."

Max smiled at her from the foot of the bed, "Sorry. I meant - you. You're doing great Tess, you're almost there."

Tess' face contorted in pain, "Oh God - here comes another one!" Kyle grimaced as she squeezed his hand - for a small girl, she had one hell of a grip.

Waiting out in the living room, Michael and Alex amused themselves playing Kyle's Wii, while Maria and Liz were going over the song lists for the Whits' first album. The two young women had talked on the phone in the days after Max had come to Liz and their friendship was as strong as ever.

"If you ever touch me again, you will lose your penis - I swear to God!" Tess yelled from the bedroom - loud enough for the four to hear.

Michael turned to Maria and told her, "I am so glad you are not an alien right now."

"That makes two of us." Maria replied dryly.

"It's all worth it in the end." Alex offered as he swatted the remote-striking Michael out on the game, "What could be better than a baby? A little mini-you? I want four or five - at least."

Another pain filled screech came from the bedroom and Alex paled, "Or one. One would be good."

"I don't want kids." Maria stated surely, "Any kids. They're too much work - too much trouble, and they just end up hating you and telling you everything you did wrong when they grow up."

Michael turned his attention from the game to Maria, astounded by how much alike they thought, "Will you marry me?"

Maria rolled her eyes at him.

He had been joking - but then the idea came to him, the image of being bound to Maria for the rest of his life, and warmth filled his chest. He put the remote down and moved closer to her, on one knee. "What would you say if I told you I was serious?"

Maria narrowed her eyes at her boyfriend and told him matter of factly, "I'd say that was one piss poor proposal."

Offended, he gaped at her, "I was being spontaneous! And….sweet." He stuttered, "Girls are supposed to love shit like that."

"Michael, Michael, Michael" Maria shook her head at him, "Marriage proposals are not supposed to be spontaneous. They are supposed to be well planned, well thought out - to the last detail. You should work on it." She told him as she patted him on the head.

Michael scowled and went back to his game, as Alex and Liz shared a smirk at their friend's expense.

Meanwhile, back in the bedroom, Tess collapsed back after another contraction. She whispered, "I can't. I'm done. I'm too tired. I can't do it anymore."

A part of him dying inside because of what she was going through, Kyle tried to be supportive, "I'm so proud of you, Tess. You're doing so well. I know you can do this."

Tears leaking from her eyes, Tess pleaded, "I can't Kyle. I'm sorry. I don't have anything left. I can't."

As she started to sob, Max's cold voice cut through the air like a scalpel, "Oh, suck it up, already. You're a nurse for crying out loud - not a baby. Stop your blubbering and deal - it can't be that bad."

Isabel turned offended eyes on her brother, while Kyle just looked at him, shocked, as one would look at a man taunting an injured but still very dangerous lion. "Are you crazy?" Kyle asked softly.

But Max's eyes were fixed on Tess - on her now extremely pissed off gaze, "Fuck you Max!" She yelled at him, sitting up and pointing her finger, "You want me to show you what this feels like? Because I can! You'd be the one crying like a baby if you had to deal with this pain for a minute - let alone half a day! Asshole!"

Max smiled, his plan working just as he hoped, "Well, looks like you've found some more energy after all, huh?" And then he told her kindly, "Now come on Tess. Just one more push - I promise. Your son wants to meet his mother."

As another contraction ripped through her, Tess bore down and pushed with all that she had.

Twenty minutes later, Kyle emerged from the bedroom with a tiny bundle wrapped in his arms. "Anyone want to meet James Valenti? We're going to call him Jimmy for short."

Maria, Liz, Michael and Alex converged on him, cooing and congratulating him on the little miracle - the first of his kind. Even Michael was unable to wipe the amazed grin from his face as he stared at the newborn.

Max pulled Liz to the side, and wrapped his arms around her asking, "You okay?"

She returned his embrace and said, "'Course I'm okay. Why wouldn't I be?"

Max looked up at the wall and said, "I don't know. This isn't too weird for you?"

"You mean the fact that you just helped deliver your ex-fiance's baby? The same ex who used to be your wife and queen on a distant planet, in another life?"

"Yeah - I mean that."

Liz shrugged, "Some people, I guess would find it awkward. But not me. This," She looked around the room at those closest to them - at Isabel who had come from the bedroom after tucking a sleeping Tess in, who stood beside Alex who was always able to brighten the darkest mood with a simple word. She looked at Maria and Michael who for all their bickering held an undeniable passion and protectiveness for each other and for those around them. She looked at Kyle, who was able to calm even the most frenzied situation or challenge, and she looked at the adorable newest addition to what was - her family. And then she gazed at Max, no longer the King, but always the leader with a plan, still the defender of them all. And Liz told him, "This is our normal, Max."

He smiled and kissed the top of her forehead. "Let's go home."

For now, home was his parents' house - he and Tess had sold the house they had once shared.

Max wanted his parents to get to know Liz. He also wanted to take this time to offer them what he had been unable to show them before her - gratitude and love.

They both knew that in a few days, however - probably a week - home would mean LA. Where Liz would have to face the sad prospect of the mansion - of returning to it…without Kal. It was an experience she was not looking forward to, but something she knew she could face now that Max was by her side to help her through it.

6 months later

Song - Amazed by Lonestar

It could have been a lavish, star-studded event. It was not everyday that one of Los Angeles's most sought after agents, daughter of one of its most successful producers, got married. Liz Parker was practically Hollywood royalty. It could have been an ostentatious, opulent affair, and everyone from Roswell would have understood.

But it wasn't. That just wasn't Liz's style.

It was simple but elegant - quiet and low key, with some of Liz's coworkers and LA friends in attendance - but only the closest and dearest. The church was white and wooden, and was built over one hundred years earlier. Despite the fire hazard, it was filled with hundreds of tiny white candles - the only illumination, save for the moon and the stars, for the evening ceremony.

Liz stood in the back, the double doors that opened to the Church hiding her from view. She couldn't help but peak through the crack in the center to see Max, walking to his position at the altar. He had never looked so handsome. He wore a black tuxedo with a necktie instead of a bow. His hair was still a bit on the longish side, a rebellious lock falling over his eyes once in a while.

Liz watched as he breathed out deeply. She thought he almost looked nervous. Was he kidding? Did he think she would...what…not show up? She smirked at the utter ridiculousness of the thought.

She pulled her eyes away and watched Isabel as she checked over herself, and the other bridesmaids - Maria and Tess. For some it might seem strange that her soon-to-be husband's ex was her bridesmaid, but not for Liz. The hurts of the past were healed, as if they had never been, and they now all considered each other - family.

For just a moment, as Liz saw Isabel, the nightmarish dream walk flashed in her mind.

But Liz pushed it away. Those dark days were over. Only happiness waited for them, for her - now. They had earned it.

Then Liz thought of Kal, and tried to imagine what he would have said to her at a moment like this. Something totally inappropriate, she was sure. But still, it would have been something that told her clearly how much he loved her and always would, of what a fine man he thought Max had become.

Her smile turned sad…she missed him… so much.

Phillip Evans, the man who would walk her down the aisle in just a few minutes, cleared his throat beside her, bringing Liz's attention to him. Reading the look in her eyes, Phillip said, "Liz, Max told us how close you were to Mr. Langley. Being a father myself, I just want you to know…you look lovely, my dear."

And then he said the words that brought tears to her eyes, as her face crumpled just a bit, trying to hold them in. "He would have been so proud of you."

"Thank you." Liz whispered past the lump in her throat, "Thank you Phillip."

"And," Mr. Evans continued, "If you don't mind, Diane and I would be honored if you called us Mom and Dad. You will be our daughter, after today, after-all."

Liz smiled through her tears - touched beyond words. "I've never called anyone that before. Not in my whole life. I would really love to. Thank you."

As Mr. Evans dabbed at Liz's eyes with a tissue, he said, "No, my dear. It is I who thank you."

They smiled at each other a moment and then Isabel was at her side, swiping her hand over her face, to fix the makeup her tears had smudged. "Only happy tears today, Liz. Remember?"

"Right." Liz assured her, "Only happy ones. Got it."

Isabel returned to her place in line as her father shook his head at her retreating form. Though his children had told them who they were, and had shown them what they could do almost six months ago, he still wasn't used to it. His children had always amazed him, but their gifts, their abilities had just made him and his wife love and admire them all the more - if that was possible.

The music began and the doors were opened. Tess walked down the aisle first, followed by Isabel and then Maria. When Liz and Phillip took their places, the instrumental music changed.

Liz and Max had heard the song one night, as they lay tangled together, listening to the radio. The lyrics spoke to both of them, tugged at their hearts, as it said perfectly how they each felt about the other.

Every time our eyes meet
This feeling inside me
Is almost more than I can take

Baby when you touch me
I can feel how much you love me
And it just blows me away

I've never been this close to anyone or anything
I can hear your thoughts
I can see your dreams

Liz floated towards him, wrapped in a white satin and pearl beaded confection. And Max was overcome. He felt his knees weaken as his eyes met hers.

She was beautiful - devastatingly so.

But then, he always thought she looked beautiful. What had him near collapsing was that she was his. She could have had anyone, but she had chosen him. The idea never ceased to amaze him, and always made him strive to be…more…to be a better man, all for her.

I don't know how you do what you do
I'm so in love with you
It just keeps getting better

I wanna spend the rest of my life
With you by my side
Forever and ever

Every little thing that you do

Baby I'm amazed by you

When Liz reached the altar, Max took her hand from his father. He rested his other palm on her waist and pulled her in for a breath stealing kiss that made Liz momentarily forget where they were - and that they were not the only two people in the room.

The minister cleared his throat, and Max regretfully ended the kiss.

"That part comes later, my boy." The minister chastised him gently.

"Sorry," Max said to Liz and the holy man, "Just couldn't wait that long." Liz bit her bottom lip, the heat in Max's gaze making her blush.

"I don't blame you, son." The minister told him, "Shall we get on with it then?"

"Yes. Please." Liz answered for them both, though her eyes never left Max's face.

The smell of your skin
The taste of your kiss
The way you whisper in the dark

Your hair all around me
Baby you surround me
You touch every place in my heart

Oh it feels like the first time every time
I wanna spend the whole night in your eyes

Later, after the vows were said, the rings exchanged, and the groom kissed the bride. After the pictures were taken, the happy tears shed, and the white rose petals were thrown on the newly blessed couple. After all of that, there was dancing and celebration at the flower and candle filled reception hall. The food was exquisite, the wine sublime, but what made the occasion truly perfect, were the joyful smiles the honored couple wore as they danced the first song together - and every one after.

I don't know how you do what you do
I'm so in love with you

With you by my side
Forever and ever

Baby I'm amazed by you

Maria swayed in Michael's arms, utterly content. She glanced at Max and Liz as they danced nearby, oblivious to those around them, and she smiled. They had traveled such a long road to get to this day, and she couldn't be happier for her friends.

Michael's words brought her out of her thoughts, "So…this is nice, huh?"

"It is."

"Is….this something you might want to do, one day…with me?"

Maria smirked and narrowed her eyes at her boyfriend, "Is that your way of asking me to marry you - without really asking?"

Nervously, Michael looked away and then returned to Maria's twinkling green eyes,

"If it was, what would you say?"

Maria looked to the ceiling, contemplating her answer, "I'd say, you - Michael Guerin - have come a very, very long way. But, you still have a ways to go, buddy."

Scowling, Michael returned, "Then I'm not asking. Forget I said anything."

"That won't be difficult to do."

Michael's hands resting on Maria's waist began to move at that, tickling her as she squirmed - retribution for her words. She tried to keep the laughter in, to not make a scene, but it was increasingly difficult. Finally, she laughingly gasped, "Stop, Michael…stop, please."

Smiling, but halting the torture, he informed her, "Later, when it's just you and me back in our room, I'm going to make you pay for that comment."

Maria smiled back at him, "Can't wait."

I'm so in love with you

With you by my side
Forever and ever

Oh, every little thing that you do
Baby I'm amazed by you

After the reception, Max and Liz took the limo to the hanger where the private jet was waiting. She had changed out of her lovely, yet restricting wedding gown, to a strapless white satin cocktail dress, that fell just above her knees.

They were going to Italy - to start - and then France, and then Hawaii.

Max had never really been out of Roswell, and Liz couldn't wait to show him the world. Even though she had traveled extensively, she also knew any place they went would seem new to her - different and better - because he was with her.

"Will you need anything else, Mrs. Evans?" The stewardess asked Liz.

"No thank you, Charlene. We're fine for now."

The stewardess left the rear private cabin and returned to the main area, closing the door behind her.

Now in the air, with their seats unbuckled, Max leaned across the couch and whispered in his wife's ear, making her shiver. "I don't think I'll ever get tired of hearing that."

"What?"

"Mrs. Evans." He smiled and kissed her bare shoulder as he spoke.

Liz turned then, sitting on his lap facing him, straddling him. She asked, "Did you join any clubs when you were in school Max?"

Confused, he answered, "No."

"I did." She whispered seductively, making hold back a moan as she raised herself up and down, grinding herself against his lap with every word she spoke, "The French Club, Chess Club, Glee Club. There was one, though, that I've always thought about, but I've never been able to join."

She smiled naughtily at Max before swirling her tongue around the shell of his ear. His head fell back against the sofa, eyes closed as she whispered, "You want to help me out with that, Mr. Evans?"

"O-okay." Max stuttered, completely at her mercy, "Wh-what club would you like to join, Mrs. Evans?"

Her eyes found his, and again the smile was there, devilish and anticipating, "The mile high club, of course."

Liz rose from his lap and crossed the cabin to the luxurious private bathroom. Over her shoulder, she raised a brow at him and asked, "Coming, Mr. Evans?" Before opening and entering the other room.

Max loosened his tie and did not walk, but ran, to the lavatory - chasing after the wife he adored.

One Year Later

Song - Bless the Broken Road by Rascal Flatts

The sun's rays just started to peek out from behind the horizon as Max lay in bed with Liz sound asleep beside him. They had returned from South America two weeks earlier.

After the wedding, Max continued to volunteer his surgical services to the local hospitals and clinics in the LA area. But after a time, his soul had craved more - wanting to do more.

It had been Liz who suggested the group Doctors Without Borders. The charity traveled to war torn and oppressed areas and provided much needed medical attention to the poor souls there. It was an opportunity for Max to offer what he could - to make up, as Liz had said, for the sins of his past.

There was so much he could do - not just with his powers, but with his very human medical abilities - and there were so many people in need. Like the infant he had operated on last month.

The child had been born with a digestive abnormality that, without surgery, would surely have taken his life. Max's heart still missed a beat as he remembered telling the distraught parents that their son was alright - that he would recover - that he would live. The young mother had thrown her arms around him, grateful tears coursing down her face. She told him, through the translator, that she would call her son Max, in honor of the doctor who had given him a chance at life. Though Max had told her that was not necessary, she had insisted, and he had felt completely honored.

That had been quite a day.

And not for the first time, Max knew he owed it all to the amazing woman beside him. There wasn't a day that went by that he didn't thank God for Liz - and for this wonderful life that he loved sharing with her.

He had been hesitant, at first, when Liz told him she would be going with him on his humanitarian endeavors. Not that he ever wanted to be away from her, but he still carried the memories of what Zan and Nicolas had done to her. And he was absolutely terrified of Liz being hurt again, because of him.

But like a mule, she wouldn't budge. She explained that she knew what it was like to live with him and what it was like to be without him, and she had chosen to be with him. She argued that life itself was dangerous - unpredictable - that's what made every moment so precious.

She convinced him that this was something she wanted to do, for herself - and not just for him.

Kal Langley had given her love and shelter and security. His money had shielded her from any hardship. And now she wanted a chance to give that same gift to others. Her wealth and connections afforded her the opportunity to make a difference in the world, to raise funds and awareness about the devastated areas Max would be going to.

He had finally given in, and though he worried furiously about her - and probably always would - he had been able to put that worry and his own guilt aside, so she could do the things she wanted…live the life they both wanted.

And so they spent the majority of the last year traveling the world together, aiding their fellow men and women. Every day was an adventure and a humbling experience - making them both all the more grateful for what they had - and for each other.

Liz had resigned from Langley Productions, and now worked full time with a number of philanthropic organizations - scheduling benefits and fundraisers, as well as traveling to devastated areas to see for herself what she could do - what was needed.

As much as both Max and Liz relished their charitable work, it was a soothing comfort to be home - with no real plans in the near future to go far.

Home was now the LA mansion. In the months before their wedding Max and Liz had lived in an apartment. But, little by little they spent more of their time at the mansion. It was hard for Liz at first, but with Max there to comfort her, her grief for Kal had eased. Though the home was larger than Max would have chosen, it was an amazing house, one Liz was particularly attached to. So it wasn't a hard choice when they decided to make it their own.

They had redecorated however, changing the colors, the floor coverings, and the furniture to their own tastes. When they were finished, their home was breathtaking, but warm and welcoming all the same. The only room left untouched was Langley's office - a place where Liz still felt close to Kal - the room where so many of her best childhood memories had been made. And Max had liked the room exactly as it was anyway - with its huge stone fireplace and walls lined with bookshelves. They both used the office every day, Liz for her charitable work and phone calls, Max to read or prepare for a surgery.

Their life was good - their first year of marriage blissful, and both were completely content.

Max turned on his side to gaze as the sleeping face of his wife. His wife. His passion for her knew no bounds, his desire unlimited, even after a year of marriage all she had to do was look at him and he found himself growing hard with want for her.

He was unable to stop his hand from wandering across her bare stomach, and unwilling to stop his mouth from gently grazing her neck with soft kisses. She moaned in response and in the next instant, Max was gazing into her luminous eyes, and his heart beat sped up at the sight.

She smiled at him sleepily and pushed the tousled hair off his forehead. "Hi."

"Hey." He returned.

"What are you doing?"

Max smiled wickedly, "I thought that was fairly obvious." Liz gasped as his hot mouth closed over one already hardened nipple, caressing it with his tongue.

"You know," She breathed, "Opening my eyes to find a gorgeous man…a gorgeous naked man, all ready for me…a girl could get used to this kind of treatment."

Max raised his head and whispered, "A girl should." Before showering the other breast with the same attention as the first.

Liz arched her back and moaned, "Mmmm, I love you Max…so much."

"So much." He repeated as he covered her body with his own, covered her mouth with his mouth.

Liz was very wide awake now. But as her arms snaked around Max's shoulder, she remembered what day it was.

Eyes wide, she turned her head to the side, breaking the kiss, to try and remind him, but the movement just gave him free access to the sensitive skin of her neck, which he suckled and kissed. As he continued with that assault, Max slowly rotated his hips, sliding his arousal up and down through Liz's increasingly wet folds.

"Max." Liz gasped again, trying to get his attention. She swallowed hard, as the sensations he was creating almost rendered her mute. "Max, we're supposed to leave today - this morning…ah…for Roswell…mmmm…the wedding, Max. " Isabel would kill them if they were late.

Isabel and Alex were getting married this weekend. The Whits had taken off with meteoric success after the release of their first album, so although they had been engaged for some time, it was hard to work the wedding and honeymoon into Alex's booked schedule.

Isabel had offered to reduce the size of the occasion - willing to settle for a simple affair at the town hall with only close family and friends present. But Alex wouldn't hear of it. He knew she had dreamed of her wedding day since she was a little girl, and he had rather they postpone the day, so Isabel could have every detail, the perfect day she had always wanted.

And finally, that day had come.

"Mmmm," Max moaned as his hand slid down her front, caressing and teasing between her legs, with his hand, with his fingers. "I know." He assured her, "That's why I woke you up so early. We have time." And then he slipped two fingers inside her, his desire surging as he felt her tight walls close around them, "We have plenty of time."

"Oh thank god." Liz sighed as she kissed his neck while her hand smoothed over the ridges of his stomach, causing them to contract.

And they took their time finishing what had started out as a very pleasant morning.

I set out on a narrow way, many years ago
Hoping I would find true love along the broken road

But I got lost a time or two
Wiped my brow and kept pushing through
I couldn't see how every sign pointed straight to you

The wedding had gone perfectly. Everything had been just as Isabel had wanted and her face was the definition of joyful contentment as she danced with Alex at the reception - her husband, the man of her dreams.

As for Alex, there were moments in his life since he and Isabel had started dating, where he couldn't help but ask himself if this was all real. Sometimes he felt like he was still in high school dreaming it all up. But he knew he wasn't. He knew Isabel Evans….ah Whitman…loved him, just as much as he loved her - forever.

Step 327 - check. And decades earlier than he had planned.

Every long lost dream
Lead me to where you are

Others who broke my heart
They were like northern stars
Pointing me on my way
Into your loving arms
This much I know is true

That God blessed the broken road
That led me straight to you.

Kyle and Tess sat at a table watching the dance floor, their son, who had served as ring bearer, fast asleep in his mother's arms. Jimmy had done a good job, considering he had just started walking a few weeks earlier. He'd held Tess' hand and walked her down the aisle like a professional, smiling at all the unfamiliar faces watching him.

Max and Liz danced nearby, both still chuckling at the look on Maria's face when she had caught the bouquet. It had become a running joke in their group - Maria's growing dislike and avoidance of the traditional bonds of matrimony.

She had stood as far from Isabel as she could, when all the single women were called onto the dance floor. So when the bouquet turned in mid-air towards her direction, and when it fell directly into her arms that had been folded across her chest, Maria had looked suspiciously at Michael who smirked, raised his eyebrows and waved at her innocently from across the room.

I think about the years I spent just passing through
I'd like to have the time I lost and give it back to you

But you just smile and take my hand
You been there, you understand

It's all part of a grander planthat is coming true.

As he held his wife close, as they swayed in perfect time to the music, a strange sensation suddenly fell over Max, catching him completely off guard. Warmth, contentment, trust coursed through his mind, his body, and his heart. It wasn't that he hadn't felt these emotions before - but this time they were different - odd - feeling as if they weren't coming from him, but being sent to him.

Before he could comment on it, a whisper came, a fluttering deep inside his mind, like leaves blowing in the wind. Max looked down at Liz's head on his chest, her eyes closed as they danced, oblivious to his confusion.

He focused all of his attention on the new sensations, these new feelings. As he did, he felt something else. He felt it deep in his own chest, thumping in time with his own, though he knew most certainly that it was not. A heartbeat. Max swallowed a gasp and brought his hand around from Liz's lower back to rest on her stomach.

The movement caught Liz's attention and she raised her head to look at him questioningly, both of them now standing facing each other, no longer dancing. As she did, their eyes met and they connected instantly.

And at the same time, they both saw it.

A life, a child, a tiny baby that they had created - their baby. New but alive, growing and resting safe within Liz's womb.

Every long lost dream
Lead me to where you are

Others who broke my heart
They were like northern stars

Pointing me on my way
Into your loving arms

This much I know is true
That led me straight to you.

The connection ended as abruptly as it started - more like a flash - but they both were sure of what they saw.

Liz bit her bottom lip as Max whispered reverently, lovingly, "Liz." And brought his hands to her face.

He was going to be a father…they were going to be a family. He smiled even as the wondrous tears rose in his eyes.

Before he could tell her how happy he was, how much he loved her, Liz said, her voice hushed in awe, "A baby, Max. We made a baby." With joyous, grateful tears sparkling in her own eyes, Liz gripped the front of his suit with her hands, "Thank you, Max. Thank you."

"For what?"

"For making my dreams come true."

She was going to be a mother. They were going to have a child, to love, to raise…together. The perfect combination of them both. It was all she had ever hoped for.

Max smiled and laughed just a bit, and then his face became serious with emotion, overcome and disbelieving that this woman could love him so much, to give him such a gift. And grateful for it…so very very thankful.

Slowly, he brought her forward, bringing their lips together in the sweetest of kisses.

Oblivious to everyone around them, Max and Liz stood in the center of the dance floor holding one another, staring and smiling at each other, having just received the best surprise of their lives.

Now I'm just rolling home
into my lovers arms

This much I know is true

That led me straight to you
trulov
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Falling Dominoes (CCw/UC Adult) 02/20 Part 64 pg 15

Post by trulov »

Hey everyone. Here's the Epi - hope its long enough for you! :D

Thank you all soo much for your support, your feedback and your encouragement. It really kept me going and helped me finish this. Although I feel a great sense of accomplishment that this is done - its sad. I've really loved writing this and these characters in particular - who are in some ways the same as the ones we loved from the show - but a little bit different too.

Anyway - thanks again. Hope you enjoy seeing how everyone turned out!

Epilogue
Four years later(almost six years after Colorado)
The Bug

Jimmy Valenti launched himself at the sleeping form of his father on the couch, landing right on his stomach, waking Kyle from his nap with an "Ooomph!"

He was the replica of his father in every way, light brown hair, a strong jaw, and blue eyes that sparkled with mischief and merriment.

But he had inherited other characteristics from his mother. Gifts - as his parents referred to them. Luckily, he was very mature for his age - a month shy of six years - and he knew without exception, never to use his gifts where someone outside their family could see.

As Kyle rubbed the sleep from his eyes he found his boy smiling up at him, "Momma needs you. In the bathroom."

"Thanks sport. I'm on it." Kyle said as he rose from the couch and went in search of his wife.

He found her looking at the closed bathroom door worriedly, holding their two year old, Annie, in her arms. As much as Jimmy looked identical to his father, Annie was the image of her mother. Long wavy blond hair, clear blue eyes, a tiny pert nose. She picked her head up from her mother's shoulder as Kyle approached.

"What's up?"

Tess turned to him, "There's a bug - in the shower. It's huge Kyle, it's black and just…disgusting!"

Kyle sighed. Tess was an amazing woman, a fantastic mother. And she asked very little of him - content to play the happy homemaker while he was the breadwinner. There was almost nothing she couldn't organize, fix, solve, or handle, when it came to the house or their children.

Except bugs. She was terrified of insects.

Tess handed her husband his sneaker as his daughter told him enthusiastically, "Ya gotta smash 'em Daddy!"

Kyle leaned back and regarded the toddler in surprise, "Blood thirsty little monkey, aren't you?" And then he asked Tess, "Couldn't you just …you know…" And he wiggled his nose to imply her using her powers to solve the insect dilemma.

Tess raised a brow at him, "Do I look like Bewitched to you?"

"Well, now that you mention it…"

"I am not blasting a bug inside the house, Kyle." She cut him off as Annie wiggled to the ground. "What kind of example would that be for the kids?" She held the shoe up to him again, "Go kill me a bug, Sheriff. Be a man."

Kyle took the shoe as she turned from him. He was unable to keep his eyes from wandering down her back to her tiny, firm rear, and he smiled as he said suggestively, "Only if you promise to be my woman - maybe my naughty woman - later on."

Not amused, Tess turned towards him, "That's how this happened, remember?" She asked pointing towards her protruding, pregnant belly. They were expecting number three in less than a month.

"Oh, I remember alright," Kyle told her, desire burning in his eyes, "Fondly."

Tess smiled at him and shook her head, "You're sick, you know that? You have serious mental issues, if you think I'm at all attractive, looking like this."

The truth was Tess loved being pregnant, loved her children, more than anything. But, like all woman, there was a certain point in the process where she no longer felt cute. Just big and awkward and ugly.

Kyle shook his head, not understanding how Tess couldn't see how irresistible she was, even now - especially now. He wrapped his arms around her and nuzzled her ear with his nose, his soft breath tickling her, enticing her.

Her hands braced his chest to push him away as she whispered, "You're crazy."

"I am," Kyle agreed, not releasing her, "Crazy in love…with you."

In one swift motion he turned her around and dipped her back, his arms holding her securely as his mouth descended on her neck, biting and nibbling, feasting on her, causing her to cry out in ticklish laughter.

Jimmy shook his head at his parents, used to their antics, to their constant displays of affection.

Adults were weird. And kissing - yuck - that was just gross.

He picked up his sister and told her, "Come on Annie, let's go outside. You're too young to see this."

Oblivious to their son's disgust, Kyle and Tess continued to laugh affectionately.

Kyle wasn't a king, but Tess would happily worship at his feet if he asked her to.

And Tess didn't rule a planet, but she would always be the queen of her husband's heart.

The Closet

The day that Isabel told him she was pregnant was the day Alex quit The Whits.

It was not a difficult choice for him to make. She had given up life as a princess, on another planet, to be with him. So it wasn't hard for him to give up the life of a rock star - something he had never really aspired to be anyway - to be with her.

Though Alex loved the band, the music, life on the road was a difficult one - away from Isabel, away from home. Even when they were not touring, the demands of rehearsal and appearances and recording in the studio took up a lot of his time. He wanted to be there for her during her pregnancy, and more, he wanted to be there for their child after the pregnancy was over.

So, after retiring from the band, they moved back to Roswell, where Isabel worked as a partner in her father's firm and Alex taught music at the high school.

It was surreal for him to return to West Roswell.

His years there as a student had not always been easy. Though he was liked well enough and had many friends, he had not been part of the "in" crowd - and was often accurately described as a "geek."

It was endlessly amusing to him that now as an adult, he was the most popular individual at the school. All the girls had a crush on him - all the boys wanted to be like him. He was a real musician - had been part of a very popular band and was still the closest of friends with the lead singer of that band.

To the students of West Roswell, Alex Whitman was a legend, an icon. Though Alex didn't need that status to be completely satisfied with his life. He had the girl of his dreams, a job he loved, a beautiful daughter. Life was good.

Isabel had just been happy to come back to the place she had always thought of as home. As close as ever with her parents, she enjoyed working with her father and loved the idea that her mother was there to care for her daughter when she and Alex's schedule's conflicted. She couldn't have asked for a better life.

Those were the very thoughts running through her head as she rinsed her coffee cup in the sink and checked her briefcase to make sure the documents she needed for her morning meeting were there. Hannah, their two year old, born just a week before Kyle and Tess' Annie was across the room in the den watching television.

She was an adorable combination of her parents, her father's striking blue eyes, her mother's thick blond mane. She was laid back and easy going most of the time, but when given a project, she could be quite the perfectionist as well.

Isabel pulled her gaze from her daughter as Alex came down the stairs, dressed casually for work. "You're going to drop Hannah at my mom's on your way out, right?" she asked him.

"Yep," Alex checked the clock, "I have about twenty minutes before we need to leave. What about you?"

"I have some time to spare." She answered.

"Really?" Alex asked, "What do you say we make the most of that spare time, my beautiful Mrs. Whitman?" He never got tired of saying that, never grew tired of hearing it, and he never ever tired of kissing his wife.

Alex swaggered towards her, bracing his arms against the counter on either side of her. Hannah had been creeping into their bed at night, a situation neither really minded, but that had interfered with certain bedroom activities that did not include sleeping.

Isabel smiled at him, and Alex saw all of her feelings there in her eyes, happiness, desire, love - she held nothing back. "That's a fantastic idea, husband of mine, but the little girl in the next room may put a damper on those scandalous thoughts running though that head of yours."

Alex leaned in, and kissed her hard, the blood pumping faster in his veins. He wanted to throw her up on the counter, he wanted to inch his hand up her skirt, he wanted to…do lots of things he just could not do with his young impressionable daughter within view.

Then a brilliant idea came to him - brought on by a memory of his own parents - that he thought at the time would have scarred him for life.

He took Isabel's hand and quickly walked her to the hall closet. It was small but large enough for them both to fit. It was also near enough to Hannah that they would hear her if they were needed, though the door would muffle any sounds they were not able to contain.

Isabel laughed in the close confines of the closet, "Oh Alex, you are so romantic - this is just every girl's dream." She teased.

"Desperate times call for desperate measures." He told her as his hands began to wander and his mouth met hers in a loving kiss.

For years after, Isabel wouldn't be able to hang a guests' coat, or retrieve one of her own from this closet, without a giddy, secret smile appearing on her lips.

For a quick second, Alex's thoughts drifted to his parents, and how for years they had embarrassed him with their inability to keep their hands off each other – no matter who else happened to be in the house with them.

And now, he finally understood why.

Poor Hannah, he thought.

And then they both stopped thinking all together, as they lost themselves in loving each other.

The Talk

Somewhere in the middle of the country a caravan of buses and trucks rode smoothly down the road. Inside one of them, Michael and Maria's movements were equally smooth, in the back bedroom of the tour bus.

Michael lay on his back, gazing up at her as she rode him, her eyes closed, her back arched, blond hair falling over her high breasts that jiggled hypnotically with each sway of her hips.

"Tell me, Michael." She gasped, "Please say it." She begged.

"I love you, Maria." He told her, his voice strong and sure. He thrust up hard into her, making her moan, "God, even when I want to strangle you, I love you."

Maria laughed at his words, the vibrations of which further heightened their pleasure.

"Now you." He pleaded, his voice now not so strong, but raspy as he barreled towards completion.

"Yesss." Maria hissed, as his thrust hit her sensitive spot, "I love you, Michael." Quickening the stroke of her hips she added, "Even when I want to smack you upside the head…I love you."

And then there were no more words as Michael sat up, bringing their chests together, both their hips moving harder and faster. They moaned in unison, grasping each other as they spilled over the edge together.

The Whits completed the last performance of their tour the night before. This was their second tour in the last five years. Originally, there had been only one bus for the band. The drummer, base player, lead guitarist who had replaced Alex, and Maria and Michael, had shared the sleeping and living quarters on the large trailer-like vehicle.

And then the other members of the band had complained. They were sick of listening to Maria and Michael's arguments that at any time could escalate into heated fights. They were even more sickened by the make up sex that occurred unfailingly afterwards - both too consumed by the other to care who else was in earshot.

So halfway through the first tour, Maria and Michael had acquired their own bus, which suited them just fine. It also allowed Michael more room for his painting supplies, which was still his passion, even while accompanying Maria to her engagements around the country.

As their breathing returned to normal, and they lay against one another, Maria broke the silence with, "We need to talk."

Dreading that statement, Michael grimaced and asked, "What'd I do?"

Maria smirked, "Why do you automatically assume you did something?"

"Experience."

Conceding his point, Maria said, "Well, you're right, you did do something."

"What is it this time?" Michael sighed, though not really concerned in the least. This was just how they were - how they worked. They loved, they fought, they loved some more. Despite any disagreement, any argument, both Michael and Maria remained secure in the fact that each were completely infatuated with the other - and that their relationship would last.

Softly, Maria told him, "You've impregnated me."

It took a moment for the words to sink in. Michael wasn't entirely sure he had heard her correctly. And then he felt it. A warm presence, a soft heartbeat, a sweet innocent new life.

His face blank, his eyes found hers as he double checked, "I did?"

Maria nodded, and she felt his hand on her stomach, caressingly it tenderly. She watched as a sparkling smile came over his face, and her heart beat faster.

"So, you're happy?" She asked, just wanting to hear him say what she already knew.

"Oh…yeah." Michael replied, unable to stop grinning. And then another fabulous thought occurred to him, "Now, you'll have to marry me."

Maria rolled her eyes. That again.

"Not necessarily. Lots of independent women have children without marrying the father." She pointed out.

"But still," Michael reasoned, "The poor kid's going to be confused enough. Am I an alien? Am I human? You don't want him wondering about his parents too, do you?"

It was an ongoing discussion with them - a debate - about the pros and cons and benefits of marriage. Maria just didn't see the point. She loved him. He loved her. What did they have to prove?

"It's just a piece of paper, Michael. It doesn't change anything." And then she asked him sincerely for the first time, "Why is it so important to you?"

Michael shrugged, telling her honestly, "I love you. And I want everyone to know that you're mine." Realizing quickly that those words might rub her the wrong way, he added, "That I'm yours. That we're…each other's. I'd just be really proud to call myself your husband."

Touched his words, Maria - finally - had to agree with him. "Oh Michael. I would be honored to be your wife."

Surprised right down to his toes that he'd at last gotten it right, he turned to Maria with love in his gaze and asked, "So you're saying yes?"

With tears shining in her green eyes, Maria nodded, "Yes."

"Yes?"

"Yes."

"Yes!" Michael called out excitedly, wrapping his arms around her and rolling them around in the bed as they both laughed.

"Wait, wait - Michael - my God, I just thought of something."

"What?" Michael asked, leaning over her, seeing the panic clear on her face.

"We can't give this one back, can we?" She asked him, recalling the many times they had watched their nieces and nephews successfully, but with exhausted relief when their parents had returned to claim them.

Understanding her fears, Michael said, "No, this one is stuck with us."

"But what are we going to do?" She asked, still overwhelmed with dread. "I mean, can you imagine what a child of ours is going to be like?"

Michael chuckled at her, "What do you mean? Any child of ours will be good looking, talented…"

"Loud." She offered.

"True."

"And will most likely blow things up when they're mad." She added.

"Yeah, there's that." Michael agreed, but then said softly as he caressed her face, "Hey. Hey - we'll figure it out, Maria. Don't worry, okay? I promise we'll figure it all out. And there's no one on earth I'd rather figure it out with than you."

Finally calmed by his words, Maria said, "Me too."

After a moment of silence, of just lying in each other's arms, she told him, "You know, we're going to pass through Nevada on our way back to LA."

Catching onto her meaning Michael said, "You mean Las Vegas?"

Smiling, Maria asked, "What do you say?"

Kissing her soundly, Michael looked down at her and said, "I say let's go get hitched." And then trailing kisses down her body until he reached her stomach, he said, "Vegas, baby, Vegas."

The Story

Miles away, in LA, Liz Evans walked to the nursery to retrieve her four month old son who had just awoken from his nap. As she looked into the crib at her precious baby she said, "Hello Kalvin. Did you have sweet dreams?"

As she changed his diaper, Liz couldn't help but smile as she thought about how Kal would have responded to her choice of names for her son.

You better come up with one hell of a nick name for that poor kid. Or else he's going to get his ass kicked all over the school yard, Liz.

She shook her head and picked Kalvin up.

Kal had been right. She now felt blessed and happy when she remembered their moments together, when she imagined what he would say if he were still here. Her pain and grief were over - only smiles and laughter came when she thought of him - which was often.

She walked down the stairs towards the front door, saying goodbye to the housekeeper as she left. When Liz had been a little girl, a whole staff of servants had been employed and lived at the mansion. Chauffeurs, cooks, maids, gardeners and assistants. Because the house was so big, she and Max agreed they needed extra help just to keep up with the daily chores.

They employed two part time house keepers, who went home each night.

Max and Liz were too passionate, too distracted by each other to have anyone else in their house inhibiting them. Once their children were in bed, the time was their own. And they always made the most of it.

Liz walked to the back yard, where her husband and their daughter, Abigail, lay on a blanket having just finished a picnic, looking up at the clouds. She smiled as their words reached her ears.

"I think that one's a unicorn, Abby. Can you see it?" Max asked his four year old.

"No, Daddy," She corrected him in her sweet voice, "That's a microscope!"

Liz smiled at her brilliant daughter - she was so much like Max. Though in high school, Liz had always enjoyed science - so maybe a little of that came from her too. Her petite frame and long shining hair came from her as well. But she had inherited her father's warm golden eyes and full mouth.

As well as his 'special' abilities.

When Abby was two, Liz found her changing the color of the grass in the backyard, blade by blade. Unlike Max and Michael and Isabel and Tess, their daughter had not been born with the instinct to hide what she could do.

So with great care, Max and Liz had tried to explain how she could do the things she could, and the importance of keeping her talents a secret. Lucky for them, she was an extremely intelligent child, and understood, as much as she could at that age, what her parents were trying to say.

Still on his back, Max turned as he sensed Liz approaching. From his angle he had a perfect view of her toned tanned legs, and he couldn't help but stare. Liz was as lovely as ever - she certainly didn't look like the mother of two children, the youngest of which had been born just a few months earlier.

His eyes rose to her face, where she raised a brow at him, letting him know she had caught him looking. He smirked unapologetically, with a spark in his eyes that promised he would do much more to her than just look, later on.

A stone marker sat in the garden, not far from where the young family sat. Carved into it was the image of Kal Langley - a dry smile in place, a cigar in his hand. Below it the inscription read:

Kal Langley
Father, Friend, Protector
You are with us in our memories and live on in our hearts.

Max still volunteered at the hospital, dedicated to using his talents to help others whenever he could. And Liz still worked with her charitable organizations, though neither traveled much any more. Their children were young, and their place was with them - neither having a reason or desire to stray far from their family.

From time to time Larek would contact Max via the Granolith. Antar had embraced democracy, and though things had been rocky at first, the planet now thrived, its people safe and content. Though Max still had a strong affection for the boyhood friend he still remembered, a visit by him to earth was never suggested.

Max would never endanger his family with the exposure it might bring. But he was satisfied to speak with Larek on occasion, knowing without question he had made the right choice for that planet, as well as himself, when he decided to abdicate the throne.

Liz sat on the blanket with baby Kalvin resting beside her. Abby was dressed in a princess costume, as she and her father had been playing with her castle playhouse. The very one her mother had loved so much as a child.

"Maria just called." She told her husband, "She and Michael are coming over this weekend. She said they have some big surprise for us. I thought we could call Alex and Isabel and Kyle and Tess to join us. Make a party out of it."

"Sounds perfect." Max said, smiling down at his baby boy.

"Tell me a story, Daddy." Abby asked.

Pulling his attention from his son, Max replied. "Okay. Once upon a time, there were three little pigs…"

"No - not that kinda story. A princess story." She explained, as if it were the most logical thing in the world.

Max looked to Liz for help, but she just shrugged at him. "Alright, a princess story. Oh, I know - how about a story about a King?"

"Okay." Abby said, looking up at her father with big, trusting eyes.

"Once upon a time there was a King. And he was cold and mean." Max dramatically lowered his voice to a growl, grabbing Abby around the waist, making her squeal and laugh as he tickled her.

"Why was he mean?" She asked.

"Because a spell had been put on him. A spell that made his heart as cold as ice, so he couldn't feel anything. He couldn't be happy or glad or even nice really." Max explained. "But then one day, the King met a young lady."

"And was she a princess?" Abby asked.

"Nope." Max told his daughter with a smile, as his eyes turned to his wife, "She was beautiful and brave and amazing, but still utterly normal. But - when she touched the King, the ice around his heart began to melt."

Liz smiled at him as he continued, "And soon, the King could feel - and he did. He felt love for the lady who had saved him. And the best part was…she loved him right back. And from then on, the King was never ever mean again."

"Yeah!" Abigail yelled, clapping her hands delightedly. "Again, Daddy! I want another story!"

"Another one?" Max asked, lying back resting his head in Liz's lap as her fingers ran through his dark hair.

"Okay." He told his daughter, "Once upon a time there was a King and Queen who loved their planet, their world, very very much. But one day, an evil man, a bad man, came to take it all way. He wanted to destroy their world and everyone who lived there."

Abby's eyes grew round, "What'dey do?"

Max smiled at her, "They made a time machine. And the King traveled back in time so he could save their world. But the plan that he and the Queen had made, said he had to hurt the young Queen. He had to break her heart. And when he got there, when he saw her…he just couldn't do it."

Max's eyes gazed up at his wife in adoration, her hand still stroking through his hair. She smiled down at him lovingly as he continued to tell their daughter the story - their story.

"So the King changed the plan. He made a different one."

"And was it better, Daddy?" Abby cut him off, "Did it work? Did they live happy ever after?"

Still looking at Liz…his heart…his home, Max smiled and said, "They did Abby. They all lived happier than any of them could have ever imagined."

THE END
Itzstacie
Forum Moderator

Re: Falling Dominoes (CCw/UC Adult) [COMPLETE]

Post by Itzstacie »

bump