Falling Dominoes (CCw/UC Adult) [COMPLETE]

This is the gallery for the winners of the fanfic awards to show off their fics, and their banners!

Moderators: Itzstacie, Forum Moderators

trulov
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Falling Dominoes (CCw/UC Adult) 11/14 Part 38 pg10

Post by trulov »

Sorry its been a while since I updated (well, at least it seems like a while to me). My computer has not been cooperative.

Thanks for your feedback and for continuing to enjoy this story. Hope you like!

Chapter 39

Max was silent on the ride back to the motel. Liz took in his tense face, his clenched jaw, the white of his knuckles as he gripped the steering wheel and she wondered what was on his mind.

She got her answer moments later when Max pulled off the long stretch of road onto the dirt. He sat for a few minutes, staring straight ahead of him, until she said, "Max?"

He turned at the sound of her voice, looked at her big brown eyes, her brow furrowed in concern and almost lost his nerve. And then he remembered Michael's words, his warning of the night before, that his actions were putting Liz in danger, and he forced himself to speak. "Liz, I love you." he said calmly, sincerely, making sure she understood how much he felt for her.

Liz nodded and said, "I know. I love you." She whispered reverently in return.

"Do you trust me?" He asked, sounding forlorn.

"Of course I do." She nodded again, "With my life."

Max took a deep breath and nodded. It was time.

"I think…I think we should try the connection again. I think it will work now."

"Here?" Liz asked, slightly confused.

"If I don't do it now, I don't think I ever will." Max croaked out.

And then Liz understood. This was it - once he accessed the scion, there would be no reason for her to stay. It - they - would be over. She had hoped they would have more time together, a few days at least. But as she looked into Max's tortured eyes, she knew he had his reasons for doing this now - and if he believed it was necessary, she wouldn't question him.

"Okay, Max." She caressed his hand, and tried to sound reassuring, knowing this was not easy for either of them.

"Okay." Max breathed out, sounding sadly resigned, almost as if he had been hoping for her to disagree with him.

He took her head in his hands and Liz tried to relax, "You know the drill." She heard Max say. And then she looked into his eyes, and he was in.

Inside her mind, her consciousness, her memories. He saw the images of her life as they floated by, drinking them in for a moment, wanting to stay close to all the things that had helped make her who she was.

He felt her love for him, her amazement of him, and her inexplicable delight that he returned her feelings whole-heartedly.

And he saw the now familiar scion, with its silvery blue glow, and he waited.

And waited.

And waited.

And nothing happened. They were connected, intensely, closer than he had ever allowed himself to be to another person, yet still the scion did not transfer to him, or open.

Max pushed harder into her, so that the connection was so deep he felt what she was feeling - could feel the contact of his own hands on her face, as if they were one person.

But still the scion remained closed.

Max pulled out of the connection, worried, confused as to why it hadn't worked yet again. It should have worked, according to what Langley had told him. And then a troubling thought occurred to him. If everything Langley had told him was true.

"What did it say, Max?" Liz asked, her hands covering his that still held her, giving him comfort.

"It…it didn't work."

"Why not?" Liz wondered aloud, now as confused as Max - she was sure it would have. They were so in tune, why wouldn't the scion have opened to him?

"I don't know." Max said before kissing Liz's wrist and palm. He didn't want her to think he doubted her feelings for him. If anything, after connecting with her, he was even surer of her devotion to him. And he had never felt so lucky - so blessed - that she felt that way about him.

"I guess, we just need to give it more time." Liz offered, "The upside is, I'll be here - we'll have at least a few more days together."

"Right." Max said, as he started the car. He tried to smile, at the thought of having more time with her, but he couldn't get passed the ominous feeling that something was wrong - very wrong.

He needed to talk to Langley. He needed answers - once and for all.

A little while later, Maria Deluca stepped outside her house to get the mail. Bills, bills, and more bills. She barely lived there, and wondered how she could owe so many different utilities money?

Her thoughts were abruptly interrupted when Michael pulled quickly into her driveway, the tires screeching as he stopped.

"Maria, we have to go!" He called, and she immediately saw the panic on his face.

"What's wrong?" She asked, her heart starting to beat rapidly.

"Max just called. Something happened to Liz. They were in the desert, driving and he pulled over and she just - collapsed. He said we all have to go there. He needs us all there to help her." Michael rushed out.

"Oh my God!" Maria exclaimed, fear for her friend making her run to the car leaving her purse, her keys, her phone inside - all of her thoughts focused on Liz.

As Michael revved the engine and backed out onto the road, Maria asked, "What happened to your bike?"

"It's in the shop." Michael explained, "They gave me this rental."

Maria nodded, buckled her seat belt and said, "Hurry Michael."

"I will." He answered her as he sped off down the road.

Song - Lauren Wood - Fallen

I can't believe it, you're a dream comin' true
I can't believe how I have fallen for you.
And I was not looking, was content to remain
And it's ironic to be back in the game.

Isabel put a dab of lip gloss on her bottom lip, finishing her makeup. She took a moment to look herself over in the mirror, fluffing her long blond hair, smoothing her red dress.

Alex had said to dress formal, though she had no idea where he was taking her. Anticipation bubbled in her stomach as she grabbed a cream colored shawl. She breathed deep to calm her nerves, though her smile remained firmly in place. She couldn't remember the last time she had been this excited about a date - probably never. But this wasn't just any date - this was Alex.

She'd chosen the dress especially because she remembered from her dream walks of him in high school, just how much he had liked her in red. As she put a few items in her clutch, her cell phone stared up at her from the vanity, but she made no move to take it.

How many times had her plans been interrupted by a frantic phone call from Max or Michael, that some illusive clue had been found, or an emergency meeting had been called. Not tonight. Tonight was hers, to enjoy, to be and feel normal, to have one night with Alex untouched by the alien madness that surrounded her life.

You are the one who's led me to the sun.
How could I know that I was lost without you…

When the doorbell rang downstairs, Isabel turned and went down to answer it, her phone remaining behind.

She opened the door to Alex, who looked dashing in a dark blue suit that brought out the color in his eyes, and a red tie that matched her dress. "You look…breathtaking." He said.

Isabel's smile glowed as she took the arm he offered and led her to the car with, "Your chariot, my lady."

Isabel stood before the open car door and said to him, "Thank you, Alex, for the best date of my life."

Alex smiled and asked, "How do you know it'll be the best? It hasn't even started yet."

She boldly leaned forward and kissed him on the cheek, stopping his heart as she said, "It already is."

And I want to tell you, you control my rain…
And you should know that you are life in my veins.

They drove far out into the desert talking comfortably all the while. Isabel was a bit shocked when Alex pulled up to the abandoned soap factory, and parked the car behind it. She had been expecting dinner at some high class restaurant, then maybe a moonlit walk in the park or something of the like.

Completely confident, Alex exited the car and walked around her side to open hers for her. She stepped out, and was about to ask what they were doing here when she saw the tent.

You are the one who's led me to the sun.
How could I know that I was lost without you…

It was a large tent, covered to the ground on three sides of thick white fabric. The last side was opened, giving her a view of a table with two chairs, set with white linens and china, candles burning softly in the center. Lining the ceiling of the tent were muted white lights and she could hear music playing softly within. Her face went slack in astonishment.

"Did you do all this?" She asked breathlessly.

Alex nodded shyly and said, "I've been dreaming of this for a long time. I wanted it to be…special. But before dinner, we have, for your viewing pleasure, a movie."

He gestured to her right and she saw two huge, comfy looking chairs facing the back wall of the factory. Although the sun was just setting, the back wall of the factory was cast in shadow - making it the perfect screen for the large projector placed just behind the chairs.

I can't believe it, you're a dream comin' true.
I can't believe how I have fallen for you.

Alex led her to the chair, and poured her a glass of champagne from a nearby table. Then he quickly plugged a cord from the projector into the receptacle in his car, and the movie started.

Isabel laughed, "I love Sleepless in Seattle!"

"I think all girls do." Alex replied, "It's a favorite of mine too, though. Tom Hanks is the nice guy, who gets the gorgeous girl in the end. My kind of movie."

As he sat beside her and took her hand in his, Isabel settled in to watch the movie, wondering happily what she had ever done in this life or the last, to deserve the affections of such a man.

And I was not looking, was content to remain.
And it's erotic to be back in the game.

Miles away, at the town limits, Michael was just returning from a long ride on his motorcycle out to the desert. He would often go for long rides. It not only served to clear his head, but give him time to learn the landscape of the desert, always looking for some clue, some sign of a new location to search for the Granolith.

He stopped at a red light and took a moment to observe the beautiful sunset. The setting sun was the color of blood, streaking the sky with pink and orange. He was so taken by the sight that he almost didn't see the car that passed right in front of him. A tan sedan that barreled through the intersection at break neck speed.

But it wasn't fast enough for him to miss the light haired passenger within the vehicle - it was Maria. Michael blinked and rubbed his eyes, thinking they must be playing tricks on him. Because it simply wasn't possible that the driver sitting beside Maria had looked so much like…himself. His hair, his face staring at the road.

"What the hell?" Michael whispered as he disregarded the red light and made an illegal left turn to follow the car as it raced down the road towards the open desert, away from Roswell.
trulov
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Falling Dominoes (CCw/UC Adult) 11/19 Part 39 pg10

Post by trulov »

Hey guys! I'm will try to update more often - like every day, or every other day - if I can. My computer is really doing bad and I feel like it may totally crash at any time. I have a lot of back chapters done for this story, so I'll try to get them posted for you before my antiquated computer dies.

Thanks so much for reading - I'm really glad you like this. Things are going to start getting exciting now, and more then a little sad too.

Twilighteyes - THANK YOU!
AvalonRose - The info about the scion will come out - eventually. As for the Tom Hanks reference - I'm so happy you caught that! I did it on purpose.
Natalie36 - Thank you soo much! Its you guys that keep me wanting to write more.
Garcia88 - Thank you! Many of your questions are answered in this part. But then, more questions are raised too.

Chapter 40

Back at the suite, outside Liz's bedroom, Max said, "I have to do some things. But I'll be back. Get changed - dress warm, okay?"

"We're going out again?" Liz asked, surprised that Max had barely left her side for the last two days.

"Yeah," Max answered, "Tess is working again tonight so I want to take you somewhere."

"Like where?" Liz asked, biting her bottom lip.

Max smiled mischievously, "It's a surprise."

"I thought I made my feelings about surprises quite clear? Am I going to have to force it out of you again?" Liz asked, heat suffusing her cheeks as she remembered her behavior in the car just that morning.

"I was kind of hoping you would." Max smiled.

"You're so bad." Liz teased.

"I'm bad? I wasn't the one going down on…" She silenced him with a kiss. She meant it to be a playful peck, but Max had other ideas. He gripped her waist and pulled her flush up against him as he deepened the kiss, showing her with his mouth, what he wanted to do with his body.

Minutes later, both panting, Max forced himself to pull back, knowing he had things to do, people to speak to. "Go get ready," He said, "I'll be back soon."

When Liz closed the door behind her, Max turned and walked determinedly into Langley's room, without knocking.

He found Langley behind his desk, looking over a stack of papers, a cigar burning in his hand.

"We need to talk." Max said gravely.

Kal looked up and raised his eyebrows at the solemn look of his King, "Well, this sounds serious." He chewed on his cigar and continued, "Dare I hope that you've contracted some fatal, incurable disease? Alien syphilis perhaps?"

Max ignored the barb and got straight to the point, "I tried opening the scion again. It didn't work."

"I told you, it takes…" Kal began, exasperatedly.

Max cut him off, "We can't get any closer then we already are," Max said, referring to himself and Liz. "I don't think it's going to work - ever. I think you knew it wouldn't work. I think you were just buying time, until you could convince Liz to leave or convince me to let her go."

Max waited hopefully for Langley to deny the claim. If his conclusions were wrong, he still had a chance, they still had time.

Langley didn't deny the allegations. He just sat, defiantly looking at Max, puffing his cigar, bracing himself for Max's next order.

But no order came.

"Okay, look," Kal began, "The truth is, the King would often, place scions within multiple commanders. If one died, or was injured, one of the others' would open, so there was never a need to transfer a scion that often."

He paused to let that sink in, and then continued, "There were only a handful of Antarians who were actually connected closely enough to do it. They were very…open people, like Liz - trusting. You…you've spent your whole life blocking others out, even blocking your own feelings from yourself. The trust, it has to go both ways, Max. Like I told you, you can't force it - it has to be automatic, and you're just too closed off. I had hoped, since you were the king…It was never impossible. But, for you, it would be damn close to impossible."

Max closed his eyes dejectedly. If there was no way for him to access the scion, keeping Liz in Roswell would be like signing her death warrant. It could open on its own, but he had no way of knowing what parameters his future self had set - no way of knowing when Liz would be privy to the information locked away inside her. Defeated, he sat down in one of the chairs facing Langley's desk.

"What's your next move?" Kal asked cautiously.

Max put his head in his hands and said, "The next move is yours."

Thinking he had heard wrong, Kal said, "What do you mean?"

Max looked up and Kal saw the pain swimming in his eyes, "I mean tomorrow morning you will take Liz and get on a plane and you will leave Roswell, forever."

"What?" Langley asked, still not believing what he was hearing.

"Take her and disappear. Leave me a number where I can reach you…" And then Max laughed bitterly at his own weakness. "No. Don't leave me a number. Just go. Away from here, away from all of this. Change her name, take her somewhere where we…where I will never find her."

"Why?" Kal asked, suspiciously.

Max stared at a spot on the wall behind Langley, and his voice was detached, as if he wasn't really there, "Because I finally get it. I finally understand why he did what he did. Why he gave her to you. Her happiness, her safety means more to me than anything. More than the Granolith, more than my people, more than returning to Antar. The longer she stays here, the more danger she's in. Nicolas will eventually get lucky and that's a chance I won't take…not anymore."

"And what will you do, once we're gone?" Kal asked, surprised because he actually cared.

Max shrugged, "I'll do what I did…before." Before Liz.

Max knew in that moment his life would forever be divided into before and after. Before she touched him, before she made him come alive, before she showed him how much a life on earth, love, had to offer. "I'll keep researching, looking for the Granolith. It was meant to be found by me, and someday, I will find it."

Kal couldn't help but feel sympathy for the tortured boy before him, "I'll make the calls." He said.

Max rose and turned to leave when Langley said, "Max. What you're doing…it's the right thing, as hard as it is. I think… you're going to make a fine King. I think you are a good man."

Max smirked bitterly and said, "But I'm really not. It's just that Liz…she just brings out the best in me."

Langley smiled, knowing exactly what he meant, looking at Max and seeing so much of himself in him for the first time. "Yeah, she does have a way of doing that, doesn't she?"

"Can I tell her?" Max asked, "I'd like to take her out tonight, one last night and explain everything. Say our goodbyes."

"Of course." Kal said, giving his blessing.

Just before Max walked out the door Kal called, "Max." He turned and Kal looked him straight in the eyes, "Keep her safe for me?"

"Always." Max vowed.

As Max exited Langley's room, Maria bounced with worry in the car beside Michael. She looked at him sideways, feeling that something about him felt...off. She watched how he drove, his face a mask of concern that did not match the relaxed stance of his body.

When Maria glanced out the window, her eyes happened upon a form in the rear view mirror. The unmistakable figure of Michael Guerin racing behind them on his motorcycle. Maria's eyes widened in fear, and her chest heaved quickly, as she realized the man driving was not who he appeared to be.

No, he was someone - something - else. Something alien, and not the good kind.

Maria didn't want to give herself away, didn't want him to know that she knew, so she forced herself to relax, for her breathing to even out, for her face to appear calm.

But when she looked at him next to her, she found his eyes not on the road, but aimed right at her, burrowing into her. He stared at her - knowingly - smiled coldly and said, "So, now you know."

Maria swallowed, "Who are you?" She squeaked out.

"Does it matter?" The Michael look-a-like answered, returning his eyes to the road. "It's a pity really. All that fear you're feeling at the moment - the panic - all could have been avoided. It's just too bad." He pulled off the road and drove about two miles into the desert, away from the road, as the night began to creep in. When he stopped the car he turned to her and said, "We're here."

He got out of the car and met the real Michael who was already off his bike and half way to the car. Maria heard Michael call, "Who the fuck are you?"

When Maria turned around to watch out the rear window, she was surprised that there were no longer two Michaels, but one - the real one - and an older looking man who she knew as Ed Harding, Tess' father.

"Get back on your motorcycle and leave, Michael," Nasedo ordered, "This does not involve you."

"Nasedo?" Michael asked, before pointing towards the car, "Why is she here? What are you doing?"

Nasedo sighed and said, "What I was sworn to do. I am protecting you. We will be leaving soon, things are underway as we speak. I thought it better to get rid of any threats to our departure sooner rather than later."

"Threats?" Michael couldn't believe what he was hearing, from the only father figure he had ever known. "Maria isn't a threat. What are you…Does Max know about this?"

"Max has lost perspective. Max has put all of us at risk. Surely you've seen this as well as I? The Parker girl has…infected him. He is incapable of rational decision at the moment, so until his objectivity returns, it is up to us, to make the choices that he cannot."

"And what decision is that?" Michael asked, his voice rising.

"Calm yourself," Nasedo chastised, "Think of your training. You are The General Royal - act like it. The decision of which I speak is to terminate any humans who have the knowledge of who we are - who you are."

Seeing the shock on Michael's face, Nasedo consciously lowered his voice, and softened his face in sympathy. "No human can be allowed to live with the knowledge that she has. Whether we remain on this planet or not. It cannot be."

"No." Michael rushed out, "You can't. This is crazy. Max would never allow this."

"We've already been over that." Nasedo insisted, and then put his hand on Michael's shoulder, "Stand down, Michael. I won't ask you to do this, but do not interfere with what I must do. You are a fine man, an excellent soldier, strong, loyal. Do not disappoint me now."

Michael shook his head weakly. Nasedo's words triggering a long repressed memory to come raging to the surface of Michael's mind.

The idea of going against the man who was by all accounts his father, tossed him down a spiral of fear - detachment - recalling all the other times he'd tried, and failed, to fight the other man who was supposed to be his father.

Michael was no longer there in the desert, a grown man. His surroundings faded and transformed. In his mind, he was an eight year old boy, huddled in the corner of a filthy trailer, trying to blend into the wall, praying for the power to melt into the floor, as a drunken, enraged, man towered over him.

A bottle smashed against the wall, and Michael felt the glass fall down on him, slicing his forehead, "I ask you to do one fucking thing and you can't even do that right! You are a piece of shit. You've never been anything but a fucking disappointment!" Hank screamed, as Michael squeezed his eyes in terror.

While Michael was lost in the prison of his past, Nasedo took his silence for acceptance and moved around the car towards Maria.

She looked to Michael for help, but he wasn't even looking at them. He was mumbling to himself, staring at the sand.

And then Maria turned and ran for her life.

Nasedo rolled his eyes, "Humans. Why do they always think they can run? It must be all those horror films they watch." He opened his palm and brought Maria down face first in the sand. And then he dragged her back to him, the sand scraping her skin and drawing blood.

Once she was again in front of him, he grabbed for her hands, trapping one wrist within an iron grip.

With her free hand, she pushed against him, scratched at his face, tried to poke at his eyes, struggling for survival. She wouldn't beg, would not plead for her life, instead she murmured, "No…no, no." through clenched teeth.

"This will be easier on both of us if you do not struggle, Miss Deluca." Nasedo explained politely. And then he put his hand on her chest, and the breath was sucked out of her. Maria opened up her mouth, desperate for air, but none would come. It was as if her lungs were frozen, she could not even cough.

As her chest tightened further, her face taking on a purple hue, Maria thought of all the things she'd never done, the people she loved who she wouldn't have the chance to say goodbye to. Her mother, Kyle, Jim, Alex, Liz, would any of them know what became of her?

And Michael. She didn't blame him for this. She knew without a doubt, that her death would haunt him, torture him. He would hate himself forever for his failure to act. She knew Michael was a lot of things, but a killer was not one of them.

Yellow dots of light appeared before her eyes, as her brain screamed for oxygen. The fringes of her vision blurred, and blackness was seconds away from taking her.

And then she was abruptly released.

She fell to her knees drawing big gasping breaths, coughing and sputtering. When she opened her eyes, she saw Nasedo unconscious in the sand.

The blast that he never saw coming, throwing him several feet away.

When she raised her eyes she found Michael staring, not at her, but at Nasedo. He looked eternally lost, tears in his eyes as he spoke, "I'm sorry. I didn't mean it. I didn't mean to be…I just couldn't let you…I'm sorry."

"Michael," Maria whispered brokenly. And then movement on the horizon caught her attention.

And she saw them.

Two dozen skins marching through the cool early night, coming in from the desert, some scratching and rubbing at their husks.

Coming right at them.

"Michael." Maria said, shaking his shoulder, trying to rouse him from whatever waking nightmare he was trapped in.

"Michael, they're coming!" She tried again forcefully, the fading sun shining right in her eyes, burning them. But still Michael would not respond.

Finally, desperately, she took his head in her hands and forced him to look away from the crumpled heap in the sand, "We have to go, now!" She yelled firmly, wondering if the mob somehow hadn't seen them yet.

She grabbed Michael by the arm and forced him into the car. She jumped into the driver's seat and started the car with the keys that were thankfully left in the ignition.

And then Maria drove as fast as she could, trying to think of a place where they could hide out until Michael got himself together, somewhere where they would be safe for a little while.

Max pulled into the parking lot of the motel a few hours after he had left. Everything was ready and he couldn't help but smile as he saw Liz sitting on the step, waiting for him. She wore a soft pink sweater, jeans and sexy knee high leather boots. He walked up to her and pulled out a large bouquet of white roses. "You look amazing."

Liz smelled the flowers and answered, "Thank you. These are my favorite. You look…wow too." She didn't think anyone but Max could look so scrumptious in jeans, boots and a black sweater.

"So?" She asked as he stalked around her, "What's the plan?"

"Well first, I have to do this…" Max said as he took her face in his hands and kissed her with all the love he felt for her inside, stroking her cheek with his thumb. "And this…" He said, as his mouth fell over hers again, deeper, firmer, more demanding.

He pulled back and kissed her nose sweetly and then her forehead. "And as for the rest, come on and I'll show you." He said, as he took her hand and walked to the car.

The young lovers were so caught up in each other, that they didn't see the small blond haired woman watching them in anguish from the side of the building. Their hearts beat so loudly from their desire for one another, they couldn't hear the sound of Tess' heart breaking.

But as she watched them, as she saw Max caress Liz's face in the way she had always dreamed of him doing to her, that was exactly what was happening. Her heart was crumbling inside her, leaving her achingly empty and hollow.
trulov
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Falling Dominoes (CCw/UC Adult) 11/20 Part 40 pg11

Post by trulov »

Hey guys - here's a short part. No time for feedback except to say - THANK YOU and THANK YOU again for all your support, interest and feedback!

Chapter 41

Song - More Like Her by Miranda Lambert

She's beautiful in her simple little way
She don't have too much to say when she gets mad
She understands she don't let go of anything
Even when the pain gets really bad
I guess I should have been more like that

Tess closed the door to her home and leaned back against it, the tears that hadn't stopped since the scene she'd witnessed at the motel flowing down her face.

Everyone had a breaking point - even her, and she had reached it.

She walked to the bedroom on shaky legs and took a duffel bag out of the closet. She placed it on the bed, and began gathering her clothing and necessities, and filled the bag.

Nasedo had told her that Max had betrayed her, and she hadn't believed him. She'd argued that Max had promised her nothing would change, and she had been so sure that he would live up to that promise.

But he hadn't.

Like so many times before, he failed her. But this time, it had broken her.
She couldn't stay in Roswell, wouldn't stay to watch Max choose Liz. She could imagine the matter-of-fact look on his face when he explained to her that he had found something else, someone else, better than her.

You had it all for a pretty little while
And somehow you made me smile when I was sad
You took a chance on a bruised and beaten heart
And then you realized you wanted what you had
I guess I should have been more like that

She'd always known, deep down in the places no one talked about, that Max didn't love her, and that their relationship had solely been based on duty and obligation. But she had always hoped to change that. She had lived with the desire to instill something else in Max, to draw out the feeling, the emotion she knew was trapped somewhere inside him.

But she had never been able to tap into it.

As Tess wiped at the never ending supply of tears, she looked at the bed she'd shared with Max for many years. How many nights had she laid beside him, woken up in the night to gaze at him, knocked breathless every time because he was just that handsome, that beautiful. How many times had she cuddled up against him, wrapped herself around him while he slept, grateful that he was there beside her, at least in body, warming her cold life, even if his heart had never been present.

I should have held on to my pride
I should have never let you lie
I guess you got what you deserved
I guess I should have been more like her

She'd thought she could be enough. She'd stupidly believed that what she felt would be enough to get them through, to make them last, that she loved him enough for the both of them. Again, she had been wrong.

She would miss him. Even though he had devastated her, she would ache for him when she was gone, for the assurance that she had at least one person in her life that would stand beside her, the dependability that she would never be alone.

But now she was alone, and she guessed she really always had been.

A sob tore from her throat as she replaced the pillow and stepped to the dresser for the last of her clothes. In her haste, she knocked a picture to the floor, cracking the glass.

Forgiving you, well she's stronger than I am
You don't look much like a man from where I'm at

She looked at the picture and traced Max's face with her hand. She'd always loved this photo. It was the two of them, at Isabel's eighteenth birthday party.

They were at a table, her hand over his, she had said something - she couldn't remember what - and Max had laughed, a genuine laugh so rare for him in those days. His smile had been real as he looked at her, and his mother's camera had captured the moment.

She had often looked at this photo when things were bad. It had reminded her of what she was striving for, how things could be, if she just worked a little harder, held out a little longer.

She put the picture down, finally understanding that no amount of effort on her part could gain her the life with Max she had craved.

She had nothing now, so there was no reason to stay, she was leaving nothing behind. Oh, there was Isabel and Michael, but they were Max's siblings - both of them, in their soul’s if not in truth. She was sure they'd be furious when he told them he was replacing her with Liz, but eventually they would accept it.

They would never choose her over Max. She had come to the scene too late. If she had been raised with them, emerged from her pod beside them, they might have felt differently. But it was what it was, and she hadn't grown up with them. Although they had accepted her, in some slight way, she had always been the outsider of the four.

Fresh tears fell from her face, down onto her bag as she hoisted it. She had only herself to depend on now. She didn't know what the world outside held for her, but it had to be better than the hell she would go through, that she herself had helped create, if she stayed.

She thought of that first meeting with Langley, when they had deduced that Kivar had attacked, that the world had ended because she had left. She remembered feeling doubt, never imagining what could have caused her to leave her friends, her family.

It's plain to see desperation showed its truth
You love her and she loves you with all she has

She remembered Max's words, 'because I loved her' and now, at last understood the pain of her other self, in that other time, that had caused her too to flee.

And if Kivar did come? If the world did end? She really didn't care - what had the world ever done for her?

She’d never been much of a fighter, not really. And if it came down to a battle between her and Liz for Max’s heart, she had no doubt in her mind, that she would lose. And that was what she had really always wanted - she’d had his body, but she couldn’t live with just his presence in her life - not anymore. Not when she’d seen how he was able to give his heart to another.

Tess' chest heaved and hiccupped as she walked to the front door. She left her keys, her car, her phone, not wanting anyone to track her down or guilt her into coming back. Not that she was sure any of them would even try.

I should have held on to my pride
I should have never let you lie
I guess you got what you deserved

She looked around her house, the place where her fantasies were supposed to have bloomed, and shook her head brokenly. Fairy tales were a lie, happily-ever-after's a cruel joke. Tess walked out and closed the door on every wish, every dream of Max Evans, she'd ever had.

She's beautiful in her simple little way
trulov
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Falling Dominoes (CCw/UC Adult) 11/23 Part 41 pg12

Post by trulov »

Hey everyone! Sorry for the extended absence, but between getting ready for Thanksgiving and helping my hubby get ready for a trip, RL has been all consuming. But now that all that is done and I have a big head start on my Chritmas shopping, I should actually be able to update a lot this week. Anyway - thanks for reading and I hope you like the new part!

Chapter 42

Maria and Michael walked into the abandoned silver mine, where groups of high school aged kids still came, to hang out and get drunk. Maria busied herself lighting candles, the falling darkness outside, now complete. She watched her shaking hand with morbid curiosity, as all that had just happened finally started to sink in.

She had almost died, been killed, and none of them were out of danger yet. She looked at Michael who had all but collapsed onto the couch. She sat beside him and said, "Michael? Is there anything you need? Anything I can do?"

Not looking at her, he shook his head and answered flatly, "I should be asking you that. I'm sorry…sorry it took me so long to react. I'm sorry he hurt you. I was just…frozen."

"It's okay, you did do something. You helped me, and that's all that matters." She paused, not sure if she should ask the next question, but unable not to, "What were you thinking about?"

"Hank." Michael whispered, and no further explanation was needed.

Maria had heard the rumors throughout their younger years - Roswell was a small town after all. SHe had even seen him once in school sporting a nasty black eye.

Michael ran his fingers through his hair and said, "I can't believe he was going to…I can't believe we trusted him all of these years. I believed everything he said - I depended on him. Everything's…its all falling apart."

Maria's heart ached for him, and for a moment, she was at a loss for words - a definite first for her. And then she said, both to herself and for him, "Or maybe it's all coming together."

Michael looked at her sharply and asked, "What do you mean?"

"I mean you four weren't doing all that great on your own. Maybe…maybe you needed us, Liz and I - even Alex. Maybe this is how it's supposed to happen. You can't make an omelet without breaking some eggs first."

Michael snorted at her logic, but didn't argue. He felt exhausted, drained, and absolutely terrified every time he thought of how close he had been to losing her. If he had stayed out in the desert a few more minutes, if he hadn't seen the car, Maria would be dead by now. The thought left him breathless, his lungs constricting painfully.

This was why he had never talked to her before - this was why he had stayed away. This was his worst nightmare coming true - Maria was in danger because of him. The thought had him standing up and blurting out decisively, "We should go, we need to get back. I have to tell Max what's going on."

Michael knew logically, that he couldn't push Maria away - that she was actually safer at the moment with him near. But old habits died hard, and with the threat to Maria still so close for him, his first reaction was to run, and get as far away from her as he could.

Still sitting on the couch Maria said quietly, "There's just something I need to know first. I can see how important he is to you. So, why did you do it? Why did you pick me?" She knew now, more than ever just how precarious life was, and she needed to know if what Michael felt for her was nothing more than a passing attraction, or something more. Like what she felt for him.

Michael sat back down beside her, his leg against hers. In a hushed voice, he explained, "A while back, just after high school, a few weeks after the first time I saw you sing, we were all going through a really tough time. There were no new leads on the Granolith, everything was just looking…bad. It was the first time I really considered the possibility that we wouldn't find it. That we wouldn't be going back. That we would be stuck here, forever. And when I thought of that, a picture of you came to me, and I remember thinking that it might not be such a bad thing. Because here, is where you were. And if you were here, and I wasn't leaving, maybe…maybe I would be able to see you, talk to you, know you. And the idea made me...happy. And I'd never thought anything or anyone on earth could do that…but you did." He breathed out harshly, looked Maria in the eyes and confessed, “So when I saw that it was you…in that car, that you were the one he was going to…I just couldn't. I couldn’t just let someone hurt you…even him. If it had been anyone else, Maria, I don't think…I'm not sure what I would have done. But not you - never you."

Having just spoken more words at one time than ever in his life, Michael closed his eyes and waited for her to respond - having no idea what that response would be.

Maria was moved to tears by what he'd said, tears he couldn't see, and without thinking of anything but him - them - she leaned forward and kissed him. The kiss started out grateful, gentle and sweet.

But soon it was desperate and primal. Having just gone through such a traumatic event together, both Michael and Maria were on edge and needy, and it showed in how they grasped at one another, and tore at the other's clothes.

They fell back onto the couch, tangled up in one another, and the last of his walls crumbled, the speck of fight he had left evaporated.

Michael gave in, gave up, and gave himself over to Maria, and she took all he offered, her every movement, every touch, a promise to keep him warm and safe and loved.

Song - I Shall Believe by Sheryl Crow

"That was just amazing, you know? That was so amazing!" Liz said, sitting atop a picnic table, not far from the bridge where they had just landed.

"Well, you did say that, like... a dozen times."

Max had taken her hang-gliding. It was selfish he knew, but he had wanted to do something before she left, something no other man would ever be able to do for her. When he had recalled their conversation on the Ferris Wheel that afternoon, he had known just what that something was.

"Well, did I say it like this?" She asked, as she leaned over and kissed him. "Or, uh... that?" She punctuated the question with another kiss, and an arousing swipe of her tongue. "Or, you know... I'm sure I didn't say this." Liz said, as she kissed him a third time, her hand wandering down to caress his thigh.

"Well, you do have a way with words." Max whispered close to her mouth. Then he reached for a strawberry, one of her favorite foods that he had packed for their impromptu picnic. He fed her the fruit and she gave a soft moan of pleasure as she tasted it. Max licked his lips, a thousand ideas of what he wanted to do to her flashing in his mind.

A moment later, she brought him back down to reality when she asked, "So what's going on Max?"

"What do you mean?" Max answered feigning ignorance, and not sure why.

"Well, you started to say something to me, about ten times tonight, and then stopped yourself before you could. And Kal, when I left, seemed unusually happy. More excited than when I signed Miley Cyrus as a client. So, I'll ask again - what's going on?"

Max sighed and stared straight ahead, "Well, Langley and I did talk. And we decided that…you'll be leaving…tomorrow."

"What?"

"The scion's not going to open Liz. Not this way." Max explained.

"But I don't understand. I trust you…"

"I know. It's not you – it's me. It has to go both ways…and I'm just not capable of…I'm not like you." Max thought of all the things he hadn't told her. Things such as Grant Sorrenson, and other dirty little secrets that he thought would change how Liz felt about him.

The sad truth was, Max didn't trust Liz - he loved her, yes, and believed she loved him. But he didn't trust that she would continue to love him - if she knew everything. He didn't see how she possibly could. He didn't yet know that part of loving someone was forgiving them, understanding them, seeing past their faults - even the big ones.

And because he didn't know, he was sure if Liz knew all there was to know about him - she would think him nothing short of the murderer he was. And he'd rather have her leave, still loving him, than tell her everything and keep her here, but lose her heart.

"I'm not open enough - I never have been - I won't ever be. It won't work." Max explained sadly.

"You two decided? So I'm just supposed to go - leave you here? Because the two of you say so?"

"Yes."

"And I don't get an opinion in this?"

"No."

"Well that doesn't work for me." Liz replied, angrily hopping off the table. She didn't want to leave - not yet - not like this. "You and Kal don't get to tell me what to do. I said I'd help you get home. The answers you've been looking all these years for could be right here. I'm not leaving." She insisted.

"Liz, it's not safe." Max tried to explain.

"I don't care!" Liz fought.

"I do!" Max yelled back, gripping her shoulders with his hands. "For the first time in my life - I care! About something more than myself, more than going back. Don't ask me to risk your life anymore than I have because I won't! If something happened to you, I wouldn't be able to live with myself. If you care about me, if you love me at all…you'll go."

Liz looked at him, hurt that he was using her feelings for him against her - suddenly wondering if he really wanted her to stay at all.

Before she could ask the question, Max read the look on her face and pulled her into his embrace. "I love you - you know I do. Don't ever doubt that. There just aren't any other options, if I can't transfer the scion, you'll die here Liz." He pulled back and caressed her face, her hair and whispered, "I can't lose you…you mean everything to me."

And then the song playing from the CD in Max's car changed.

Come to me now
And lay your hands over me
Even if it's a lie
Say it will be alright
And I shall believe.

Liz looked up into his face and the fight went out of her. She knew Max already carried a tremendous amount of guilt - because of his past, because of them, and now because of his inability to access the scion. If she stayed and was injured, she would only serve to increase that guilt, burden him more.

If they couldn’t open the scion, what could she really do for him here anyway? Liz understood, as loathe as she was to admit it, that their best option was for her to do what he asked, leave, and when the day came that the alien tool in her mind did open, she could come back, and help him as she’d said she would.

Resigned now, she held out her arms and asked "Dance with me?"

Wrapped in each other's arms, they started to sway to the music. "I love this song." Liz said, her head resting against Max's chest.

I'm broken in two
And I know you're on to me
That I only come home
When I'm so all alone
But I do believe

"I thought you would." Max answered, "The CD, it's for you actually. I went to the music store and picked out some songs. Ones that reminded me of us. This one - I liked this one the best."

That not everything is gonna be the way
You think it ought to be

Liz smiled, "You made me a mix tape?"

It seems like every time I try to make it right
It all comes down on me

Max shrugged shyly, "Well, technically, the kid at the store made it. I just picked out the songs. It's stupid."

"It's not stupid – it's very sweet. Thank you." Liz said sincerely.

Please say honestly you won't give up on me
And I shall believe
And I shall believe

"I just wanted you to have something to remember me. So you won't forget." Max said, unable to meet her eyes.

Open the door
And show me your face tonight
I know it's true
No one heals me like you
And you hold the key

Liz placed her fingers on his chin, forcing his face to hers and said, "I won't need anything to help me remember you Max. Don't you know what you are to me? What you're always going to be? You're the love of my life. There'll never be another you."

Never again
Would I turn away from you

Left speechless by her words, Max covered her mouth with his, wanting to show her how much he needed her, wanted her, his uncertainty of what he would be without her. Not breaking the kiss, Max hoisted her up on the table, and stepped between her legs. His hands found their way up her sweater to tease her breasts lovingly, making her moan.

I'm so heavy tonight
But your love is alright
And I do believe

Liz inched closer to him, wanting to feel him between her thighs, sighing when her heat made contact with his hardness, as she rubbed shamelessly against him. Max's hands were now at the button of her jeans, opening them and pulling them off as she lifted her hips to assist him, their mouths never losing contact.

That not everything is gonna be the way
You think it ought to be
It seems like every time I try to make it right
It all comes down on me.

When her pants were off, Max's mouth left hers and he knelt between her legs, kissing and nibbling the inside of her thigh. He pushed her back gently, so Liz was now lying on the table looking up at the star filled night above. He looked up at her face, the moonlight accenting her lovely features, her excitement bringing a blush stain to her cheeks.

Please say honestly
You won't give up on me
And I shall believe

He couldn't wait to taste her. He wanted to know her in this most intimate of ways, desperately wanting this memory that he knew would keep him up at night, torturing him wonderfully, for the rest of his life.

I shall believe
I shall believe

Max licked his way up her thighs, etching each taste, her every pant, every treasured gasp, within his mind forever. He would keep the promise he had made to her that afternoon in the car, and then after, he would spend the rest of the night, and some of the early morning making love to her, until their bodies were too exhausted for more.

I shall believe
I shall believe

And then, when the dawn came, Max would let Liz go. Leaving them to the rest of their lives with only their memories for comfort.

Isabel felt giddy from the champagne, light headed and happy, and more relaxed than she had ever been. She and Alex had exchanged stories of their childhood, reminisced about their high school years, how they had both noticed one another, but never had the nerve to act on it.

As their night winded down, Alex was busy packing up the remains of their dinner, while Isabel wandered outside the tent. A thousand points of light illuminated the sky, while the moon shone brightly, casting a white glow all around her.

She wasn't ready for the night to end.

Stealthily, Isabel glanced back at Alex, making sure he wasn't watching her, and she moved towards the car, running her palm over the hood, shifting the anatomy of the engine subtly, just enough so it wouldn't start. Once done, she turned and helped Alex carry the cargo in his hands to the car, and then sat down in the passenger seat.

Alex climbed in beside her and tried to start the car. The engine turned over and over, but the car wouldn't start. Embarrassment colored Alex's cheeks as he smiled at Isabel and tried again, with still no luck.

Frigging great, he thought. The night had been going so well, and now she was going to think he was an idiot for taking her out to the middle of nowhere in a derelict car. Or worse, Alex thought, that he had planned this, in the hopes of getting lucky in the backseat.

Little did Alex know at that moment, that to Isabel, the backseat was starting to look like a damn fine place.

Alex tried the car again and cursed under his breath when the machine remained uncooperative.

"You're going to flood the engine if you keep doing that." Isabel commented kindly. In truth she had no idea what the statement meant. It was something she had overheard Kyle say once, when a group of them had been handing down at the drive-in and his car had stalled. "Maybe…maybe it's a sign Alex, that we shouldn't go home just yet."

Alex looked in her sparkling eyes, seeing that she wasn't annoyed by the car trouble, and decided he agreed with her. "Well," He asked, trying not to sound like he was coming on to her, "What do you want to do?"

Isabel looked out the front windshield at the sky, "It's a nice night. I've always liked to look at the stars."

"Stargazing it is." Alex agreed and retrieved two blankets from the trunk.

He put one on the hood of the car, to protect her rear end, an item much too precious in his eyes to make contact with the cold, dirty steel of his car. The other, he used to drape around their front as he sat beside Isabel on the hood.

With ease, Alex draped his good arm around Isabel's shoulders and she leaned her head against him as they took in the wonder of the desert sky.

Can it get any better than this? Alex wondered, thinking he was the luckiest guy on earth.

Isabel looked up at him then, and he slowly lowered his lips to hers. When they made contact, Alex corrected, Make that the luckiest guy in the universe.

Tess sat on the bench, her bag on the ground beside her, waiting for the next bus. She didn't know when it would get there or where it was going, but it didn't matter.

As long as it took her away.

She had stopped crying a little while earlier. Now she was numb, too cold inside to feel anything.

And that was just how Kyle found her.

He had been driving home, in plain clothes having changed at the station, when he passed the bus stop and saw Tess huddled on the bench. His concern immediately spiked. She looked so raw, so lost, almost in shock.

He approached her slowly, "Tess? Tess? Are you alright?"

She didn't look at him when he spoke, but continued to stare at the ground. He was about to go call for an ambulance when he heard a whispered, "No."

Kyle sat down on the bench beside her, "Do you want to talk about it?" He asked, all the care and worry he felt punctuating every word.

"He touched her face…never with me." Was all she could get out, brokenly, but no further words were needed.

Kyle had seen Evans and Liz Parker together. He had very good instincts about people - it was part of what made him such a good police officer. And now he saw, from the devastated look on Tess' sweet face, that his assumptions about the two that night at the bar had been spot on.

Apparently they had acted on their attraction, and apparently Tess had caught them.

That mother-fucking son of a bitching bastard, Kyle thought, how could he -how could anyone - treat her that way?

He kept his anger toward her shit-headed fiancé hidden, however, and his voice level as he asked, "Do you want me to call someone?"

"No," Tess said softly, with a slight shake of her head.

"Do you…want me to leave?" Kyle asked hesitantly.

Tess thought for a moment, every cell in her body screaming in the negative. Her heart and her mind begging for her to see what had always been there, right in front of her.

She looked at Kyle - he'd always been able to make her smile, but she'd always associated him with everything she wanted - but could never have. In spite of that, he'd never failed to lift her spirits, either in thought or presence.

"No." Tess said, looking into his eyes.

Kyle looked at her face, even with her pale features, her puffy eyes, her red stuffy nose, to him, she was still the most beautiful woman in the world.

"Okay." He said and gently placed his hand over hers.

Tess looked at their joined hands on the bench, and miraculously, she didn't feel so cold anymore.
trulov
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Falling Dominoes (CCw/UC Adult) 12/2 Part 42 pg12

Post by trulov »

Hey! Thank you for your feedback - really, and for continuing to read this.

Here's the new part, as promised. Hold onto your seats - the bottom is just about to fall for all of them.

Chapter 43

Song - I'm Yours by Jason Mraz

Well you done done me and you bet I felt it
I tried to be chill but you're so hot that I melted
I fell right through the cracks
Now I'm trying to get back
Before the cool done run out
I'll be giving it my bestest
And nothing's gonna stop me but divine intervention
I reckon its again my turn to win some or learn some

Michael and Maria lay beside one another on the old couch, their bare bodies keeping them warm against the frigid desert air.

"I think we just took a huge step in human-alien relations." Maria joked.

But I won't hesitate no more, no more
It cannot wait
I'm yours

Michael laughed in response and kissed her forehead tenderly. Maria rolled over, so her upper body was lying against his chest. She looked up at him and asked, "Have you been with many women?"

"What?" Michael all but choked.

"I'm not worried about STD's or anything like that. I just want to know. Have you slept with a lot of women?" Maria asked again, with a smile on her face, relishing their closeness, feeling it in her body and in her heart.

Michael opened and closed his mouth, not sure how to answer, and then sputtered, "I've…never…slept with any…other women."

Well open up your mind and see like me
Open up your plans and damn you're free
Look into your heart and you'll find love love love love
Listen to the music of the moment, maybe sin with me
All - ah peaceful melody
And its our God-forsaken right to be loved loved loved loved

Maria's head popped up in surprise, "What?"

"There's never been anyone else Maria." Michael confessed, "There's no one…but you."

"Oh. My. God." Maria gasped, her mouth hanging open. When his answer sunk in, she was pleased, thrilled that he had shared this with her, that no other woman had known him like this.

So I won't hesitate no more, no more
It cannot wait I'm sure
There's no need to complicate
Our time is short
This is our fate, I'm yours

Michael looked at Maria as doubt began to creep under his skin. Had it not been good? Is that why she had asked - had his inexperience shown through?

And then her face chased away his insecurities as her expression softened from shock to tender gratitude, " I love you Michael." She whispered so softly, he almost didn't hear. And then she laid her head back on his chest, and wondered aloud before he could respond, "I can't believe…I deflowered you."

"What?" Michael sat up from the couch indignantly, "No, no you didn't."

Scooch on closer dear
And I will nibble your ear

"But you said…" Maria's brow wrinkled in confusion at his denial.

"There were no flowers involved here - men don't get frigging deflowered, Maria."

She laughed at his offense of the word, "Well it's still true - I deflowered Michael Guerin." Maria stated proudly.

"No way." Michael insisted.

"Well, what would you call it?" Maria asked, exasperated.

"My first time." He said, looking for a compromise - but there was no way in hell he would let her refer to their experience in such a girly way.

I've been spending way too long checking my tongue in the mirror
And bending over backwards just to see it clearer
But my breath fogged up the glass
And so I drew a new face and laughed
I guess what I'm be saying is there aren't no better reason
To rid yourself of vanity and just go with the seasons
Its what we aim to do
Our name is our virtue

"I think deflowered sounds much more poetic." Maria teased, causing him to flip them over, pinning her beneath him on the small couch.

"I said no."

“Oooh, you’re sooo tough - I’m very scared.”

Michael’s hands found her ribcage, a particularly ticklish spot for her and Maria writhed and squirmed and laughed as he tortured her with his hands.

"Okay! Okay - it was your first time!" She relented after a minute.

And then the teasing melted away from his embrace, as Maria felt him above her, hard and ready once more. Michael brushed his lips against her and rotated his hips, rubbing against her.

"You want to be my second time too?" Michael asked heatedly, "And my third?"

"Yes." Maria gasped between kisses, "Yes, please."

Oblivious to anything else, Michael and Maria spent the next few hours lost in each other, as if the outside world did not exist.

I won't hesitate no more, no more
It cannot wait I'm sure
There's no need to complicate
Our time is short
This is our fate
I'm yours.

Song - Making Memories of Us by Keith Urban

Garth Brooks blared from the speakers, singing of pina coladas, as Tess and Kyle downed their third shot since entering the bar twenty minutes earlier. Tess grimaced, and then sucked on the lemon Kyle held out for her.

"This is just sooo good!" She shouted, so he could hear her over the music. "What's it called again?"

"Tequila."

"Ooohh - I love tequila!" Tess announced.

Kyle smiled, relieved that her mood had lightened considerably since he'd first found her. A man in a cowboy hat approached them, stepping between them, in front of Kyle.

"Hey, little lady." He leered at Tess.

"Are you a real cowboy?" She asked him innocently, taking his hat from his head and putting in on her own, making her look all the more delectable to the patrons around her. "Do you ride horses? I've always wanted to ride a horse."

"I'd be happy to give you a ride anytime, sweetness." The man said suggestively.

"Really?" Tess asked, wide eyed, missing the double entendre.

Kyle stepped around the interloper, and took the hat off Tess' head, putting it to the other man's chest with a slight shove, "Beat it, cowboy," He said, his eyes as cold as steel, "The lady's spoken for."

The man slinked away, not wanting to take on the town sheriff, as Kyle led Tess to a nearby table, wanting to shield her from the interested stares of the remaining males at the bar.

"He was nice." Tess sighed as she sat.

Kyle chuckled and commented, "You don't drink often, do you?"

Tess shook her head, a giddy smile on her face, "Never." She answered, "But I plan on doing it more from now on, I can tell you that!" She laughed as she tried to punctuate her statement with a poke to his arm, but missed and almost fell out of the chair.

Another shot appeared before her, sent over to the table by the female bartender who was sweet on Kyle, hoping the blond newcomer would pass out at the table, leaving her gentleman companion free for her after her shift was over.

Tess greedily drank it, and sucked the lemon dry. "Whoo Hoo!" She shouted, feeling the liquid burn down her throat, loving the numbing tingles it sent through her whole body - making her feel wondrously silly.

His drink still in front of him, Kyle looked at Tess seriously and said, "I have to ask you something."

"Shoot." Tess replied.

"Why Evans?"

When she didn't answer, he elaborated, "I mean even in high school, the guy was always such a wet rag - so serious…dull. What made you fall for him?"

He'd never been able to figure it out. Through all the years he'd secretly yearned for her, and watched her chase the dark haired boy, he'd never been able to understand what such a vivacious girl, who had everything going for her, could find about him that was so irresistible.

"It's complicated." Tess said quietly, looking at her empty glass on the table. "You wouldn't understand."

"Try me." Kyle pushed.

"We were made for each other. We were meant to be." Tess said simply.

"Says who?"

Tess started to answer and then stopped herself as she contemplated the question. Who did say that she and Max were destined - had to be together? Had it been Nasedo? Nasedo who she had never trusted, once she was old enough to realize he was untrustworthy? No, it couldn't just have been him.

She had felt it - hadn't she? Hadn't she always loved Max, her King, her beloved - even before she met him? She had always known she was to be his bride. She'd always wanted it. Hadn't she?

Tess didn't know if it was the alcohol, her close proximity to Kyle, or a combination of the two, which suddenly had her doubting a fact that she had always held as absolute truth.

"Do you believe in past lives?" She asked Kyle.

"Yes, I do."

When Tess looked surprised, he said, "What? I'm not just some dumb jock turned cop, you know. I have layers, damn it. I've read about Buddhism." Tess laughed at him.

"Okay, Buddha boy, what do you believe about reincarnation?" She asked, curious about his perspective on the subject.

"Well, Buddha teaches that when we die, we are given the chance to return, come back to fix the mistakes of our previous life."

"Mistakes?" Tess asked, never having heard this theory before.

"Yeah, the people we've wronged. Those we've let down, or let go, the opportunities we've missed. We get a second chance to change, change what we did - who we were."

"And is that what you believe?" Tess asked.

"Yeah," Kyle said surely, "I mean, how boring would it be if we came back as the same person, with the same path laid out each time?"

"Yes." Tess whispered, her mind muddled with possibilities, "I see your point."

For the next hour, Kyle and Tess drank and talked at their table, like they were the only two people in the room.

A slower song came out over the speakers, and Kyle stood, "You want to dance?"

Tess looked at his outstretched hand unsurely, "I don't know. I've never done it before. I may not be any good."

Kyle smiled, "That's just not possible." She'd never danced? What the hell had Evans been doing with her all these years, he wondered, determined to right what he saw as a grievous dereliction.

I'm gonna be here for you baby
And I'll be a man of my own word
Speak the language in a voice that you have never heard

Tess smiled, and placed her hand in his. She was keenly aware of his hand that rested on her hip, and the other that was laced with her own, as they rocked slowly together.

"I almost can't believe you're here." Kyle said into her hair, breathing in the scent of lilacs.

I wanna sleep with you forever
And I wanna die in your arms
In a cabin by a meadow where the wild bees swarm

"What do you mean?" Tess asked softly.

"It's just…you were the one, you know? That girl I used to compare all the other ones to. Pam talked too much, she wasn't - classy - like you. Lisa's laugh was like fingernails on a chalk board, yours was sweet like...like a music box. Tara was pretty, but not, beautiful…like you." Kyle couldn't believe he was telling her this. He knew he shouldn't have had that third shot. Alcohol always made him run off at the mouth, though everything he had just said was the god's honest truth.

And I'm gonna love you like nobody loves you
And I'll earn your trust making memories of us

"That's…that's what you thought of me?" Tess asked, blown away that anyone would think of her as the girl - the standard.

Kyle shrugged, trying but failing to play it cool, "That's what I still think. I used to watch you, in class - made me feel like a frigging stalker, I couldn't keep my eyes off of you. I used to wait, hope, that you would notice - that you would see me, but you never did." Her eyes had always been too full of Max Evans, or so he had thought.

"I always saw you Kyle - always." Tess confessed truthfully, "I just never thought…that it was possible…that I could."

I wanna honor your mother
And I wanna learn from your paw
I wanna steal your attention like a bad outlaw

Kyle's heart quickened with her words. He had thought he was over her - that his adolescent feelings for her had long since faded away.

But he had been so wrong.

Standing here, holding her close, every dream, every desire he'd ever had of Tess Harding came rushing back, never having been extinguished - only buried beneath a cloud of seeming impossibility.

"And now?" Kyle asked, his face inches from hers, "Do you still think you can't?"

And I wanna stand out in a crowd for you
A man among men
I wanna make your world better than its ever been

Tess looked up into his eyes, whose image had always caught her when she fell. She wanted to know him - be close to him. And for the first time in her life, Tess didn't fight or ignore the feeling. Afterall, she had nothing left, and so she had nothing to lose. Aliens and monarchies be damned.

"No, Kyle. I think…I think now, I definitely can."

And then he kissed her. Unable to stop himself, years of deprivation and denial urging him on, he swept his mouth over hers in a kiss that was nothing short of electrifying.

We'll follow the rainbow
Wherever the four winds blow
And there'll be a new day
Comin' your way

Part of him knew he was being stupid. That he was most likely setting himself to be crushed. Tess was on the rebound, and that was putting it mildly. And they were both more than a little drunk. And he was breaking every guy-code in the book by showing her and telling her how much he'd always felt for her.

But Kyle didn't care.

In that moment, when his lips touched hers, he felt like he was finally able to breathe freely, after years of gasping for air. She had always been so far out of his reach. But now she was here, with him, looking at him, and he could feel her and touch her. He could not let the opportunity pass.

As Tess's mouth moved over Kyle's, all thought left her head. She'd never in her life felt anything like it - she could feel the kiss everywhere, her arms felt light, her head spun, her knees grew weak. Max had never kissed her like this. This moment outshone any incidence of passion she had ever shared with Max.

I'm gonna be here for you from now on
This you know somehow
You've been stretched to the limits but its alright now

Because this was real.

She could feel how much he wanted her, the desire coming off of him in waves. Tess had never known that anything like it was even possible. She basked in it, and was not a little surprised when she felt her own desire, for him, in return.

And I'm gonna make you a promise
If there's a life after this
I'm gonna be there to meet you with a warm, wet kiss

As thier mouths continued to mate, both oblivious to the stares of those around them, Tess's hands came around Kyle's neck and locked there. Wanting him to show her more - to teach her where this could go, what it could be.

And then a thought came to her, one that didn't fully make it past the haze of alcohol surrounding her mind, that maybe dreams did come true, after all. That maybe, she had been simply waiting for the wrong prince to come, all along.

And I'll win your trust making memories of us

Song - I Will Love You by Fisher

Till my body is dust
Till my soul is no more
I will love you - love you

Max and Liz sat in silence, in his car outside the motel, for how long neither of them knew, hands clasped tightly together.

It was just before four in the morning, and the quiet surrounded them, broken only when Liz whispered, "Come with me Max. We can disappear, we can go where no one knows us, where no one will find us. We could be together." She had promised herself she wouldn't do this, wouldn't make it harder than it had to be. But she hadn't thought it would hurt this much.

She felt like she was being ripped in two.

Till the sun starts to cry
And the moon turns to rust
I will love you - love you

Max bit his tongue till he tasted blood, to keep from telling her 'yes.‘ Leaving with Liz would be nothing short of abandoning Michael, Isabel and Tess, and no matter how tempted he was, he couldn't bring himself to do it. Not after all these years.

"I can't." He choked out. "I want to - you have no idea…but they've never really started their lives, Liz. Because I told them not to. Because of me. I told them I would get them back. I can't just…"

"I know." Liz nodded, and two silent tears crept down her cheeks, "I'm sorry."

But I need to know
Will you stay for all time
Forever and a day

Max felt like a vise was around his heart, squeezing and squeezing until he thought it would explode in his chest.

Desperately he turned to her and gripped her shoulders and Liz's hands fisted in his shirt, both of them holding onto one another for as long as they could.

Physically, they had already said their goodbyes. They had loved one another, till their bodies no longer could. Had tried to fit a lifetime of lovemaking into one short night. Now all that was left to do was say the words.

Then I'll give my heart
Til the end of all time
Forever and a day

"I want you to be happy, Liz." Max said, hearing the tears that clogged his throat, tasting them on his tongue. Liz shook her head in denial, but Max went on. "No, you be happy. You deserve that, and so much more. I want you to have your family, your children, a man…someone who is worthy of having you."

And he brought his forehead to hers, and softly kissed her lips and said, "Thank you. Thank you for letting me love you, know you. Knowing you has made me…human. Thank you."

Liz opened her eyes and looked into his, Max's hands now holding her face delicately. And she asked, "Do you love her, Max?" They had never talked about his feelings for Tess, but now, more than ever, she needed to know.

"Not like I love you. Never like I love you." Max said with certainty.

As grateful as she was for that, Liz whispered, "But I want you to. I want you to remember what this feels like, Max. Don't forget…don't go back. Don't close your heart up like it was before. Keep me here," She said as she placed her hand over his heart, "But have love and joy in your life - love her Max. Be happy with her."

But I need to know
Will you stay for all time
Forever and a day

Her face started to crumble as she said the last words, and Max knew he wouldn't be able to keep it together much longer.

She had breathed life into him, changed everything. Nothing had been the same since she had found him. Nothing would ever be the same when she was gone.

He kissed her lips again, and then her eyes, her cheeks as he murmured, "Thank you…for every kiss, every smile." He couldn't know that he had spoken those same words to the same woman, in another place, another time. He didn't know that the agony he felt when he said them was the same as well.

Then I'll give my heart
Til the end of all time
Forever and a day

And then they were in each others arms, chest to chest, holding on to each other one last time. When they pulled back, Max wiped the tears off her face with his thumb and said solemnly, "I love you, Liz. I'll love you forever."

Liz nodded slowly and touched his face, wanting to remember, "I love you, Max. Always."

A moment later, not knowing where she found the strength to stand, Liz left the car and walked to the suite door. She turned around as she reached it, gazing back at Max, trying to look brave, to leave him with the image that she would be alright.

In the open topped car, Max held the tears in his eyes by sheer force of will. He wanted to cry, he wanted to put his head on the steering wheel and sob. But he forced a reassuring smile to his face, and a nod, telling her without words that it was okay. Everything would be okay.

When the storms fill my eyes
And we touch the last time
I will love you - love you.

And then she was gone.

Liz walked through the door of the suite and closed it behind her.

Once she was out of sight, Max lowered his head, his hand covering his eyes. He breathed a shuddering breath and wiped at the few tears that had escaped.

He looked back up at the door, to be sure that she was inside and safe, and then Max drove away.
trulov
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Falling Dominoes (CCw/UC Adult) 12/3 Part 43 pg13

Post by trulov »

Thank you, everyone for reading and for all your comments - they are much appreciated.

The next part is kind of awful.

Seriously.

Be prepared.

Chapter 44

Max drove down the dark road, his face wooden, not quite believing that Liz was gone from his life. He had traveled less than a mile when his cell phone screeched beside him.

He almost didn't answer it - not caring who was trying to contact him, or why. But logic eventually won over and he brought the phone to his ear by the fourth ring.

He didn't get the chance to greet the caller when the sound of the screaming voice on the other end reached his ears. And he knew the voice - would know it even fifty years from now, whatever planet he was on, because it was Liz's.

"Max! Help me! Oh God, Max!"

"Liz?" He called, even as he was turning the car around, his tires squealing from the speed. "Liz I'm coming! I'm coming right now!" He told her.

But it was as if she couldn't hear him, she just kept calling, crying, "Max come back! Please, help me! Oh God!"

In seconds Max was back at the motel, driving his car right up to Liz's door, jumping out and running so fast his feet barely touched the pavement. He pushed through the doorway, the sight that greeted him stopping his heart cold.

The lights in the suite were out, the only illumination coming from the street lamps of the parking lot that oozed through the curtained windows. In spite of the darkness, he could make out Liz's hunched form on the floor, leaning over the prone body of Kal Langley.

"Max!" Liz screamed, not the least bit calmed by his presence, "Help him, Max." She begged, terror lacing her voice.

"What happened?" Max asked as he knelt on the other side of Langley. With a closer view Max could see the pure white of the shape-shifter's skin and the crimson blood that leaked from his mouth.

"I came in, I didn't see him right away, the lights wouldn't work. I tripped over him." Liz rushed out and then choked, "Oh God."

"It's alright." Max said, though he didn't know if anything would ever be alright again.

"Langley look at me." Max ordered, bringing his already glowing hand to the other man's chest. The protector did as he was told, trying to speak, blood falling from his mouth instead of words.

Seconds seemed to crawl by as Max brought forth all of his healing powers. But nothing happened - it didn't work.
"Why isn't it helping?" Liz asked, panicked.

"I don't…I don't know." Max said through gritted teeth, sweat forming on his brow from the effort.

Langley knocked Max's hand away, as if knowing he was beyond saving. He reached up, grabbing Max by the front of his shirt and pulled him close. "Her…out…safe." Kal hissed, using the last of his strength to get out the words, praying that Max would understand and do what he asked.

Max swallowed and nodded, knowing what the other man was trying to say, knowing exactly what it meant that he was saying it. "I will. I swear." Max pledged as he put his hand over Langley's, promising him that Liz would leave Roswell, whole, unharmed, in body if not in her soul.

"What are you…? Heal him!" Liz yelled, not understanding the silent communication between the two men who loved her.

And then Kal turned to Liz, his eyes, his face saying everything he no longer had the strength to voice. His hand cupped her cheek, caressing her face and in his expression, Liz heard his words. Thank you, my precious, my dear child. Thank you for coming into my life, for loving me and letting me love you. You are my world, my heart. Any good that I am, or have done, was because of you. Be strong, be brave, and live.

"Kal?" Liz whispered, disbelieving that it could end this way, that he would ever leave her. "Kal," She said more firmly, "It's going to be okay. Just stay with me. Max will make you alright. Just…stay."

When Langley's eyes started to close, Liz yelled, "Kal! I'm right here…don't go. Please. It will be okay. Stay with me. Kal."

Langley's eyes closed and he was gone.

Liz's face froze as the color drained, "Kal?" She whispered. "Kalvin?" She said softly, trying one last time, as tears filled her dark eyes, making them shine in the blackness. And then her brain relayed the message that her heart could not accept.

That Kal Langley, her protector, her friend, her father, was dead.

Liz's face cracked into a mask of despair, as a silent wail tore from her lips and she pulled him close against her chest. She rocked him, holding him, as if her love and pain could somehow restore him. She bent to kiss his brow.

And then she stopped.

Her eyes widened as she felt…movement…shifting underneath Kal's skin, and she put him down, rose and backed away as if she had been burned.

Max, who had watched the exchange before him in aching helplessness, rose with her, automatically taking her hand in his, as they backed another step away from the body.

And they watched in indescribable horror, as the skin on Kal's face and arms and hands shriveled and cracked like dried earth.

The only sound in the room was Liz's sharp intake of breath, as Kal's extremities caved in on themselves like parchment, and his face collapsed into a pile of dust. His clothing, flattened out sickeningly without a form inside to fill it.

And then even the dust dispersed into nothingness, so only the clothes remained.

Liz opened her mouth and screamed in agonized revulsion at what she had seen, at what had become of her beloved parent.

She put her hands over her ears, pulling at her hair, shrieking hysterically, the awfulness of losing him this way too much for her to stand.

As Liz continued to cry out, Max was pushed into action. He grabbed for her, clasping her to his chest, muffling her sounds but not ceasing them.

His mind couldn't process what had happened here, could not even begin to consider whose actions had brought them so devastatingly low. His only thought was to get her out. He had to get her away, from this room, from the stomach turning spectacle before them.

Max swooped Liz into his arms and carried her to the car. And then he got in and drove away as fast as the car would take them.
trulov
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Falling Dominoes (CCw/UC Adult) 12/4 Part 44 pg13

Post by trulov »

Hey everyone - thanks so much for your feedback!

Twilighteyes - yep, united they stand, divided they fall. Sad, that they finally take a moment for themselves - choosing what they wand over what the alien abyss needs, and it could be their undoing.

Natalie36 - it killed me to write it too. I loved writing Kal. :(

AvalonRose - there's a hint in the next part as to who the "ass" may be.

nitpick23 - yes, Liz's life has just been blown apart - and its only going to go down from here.

Kitten88 - its going to get sadder for Liz soon. Here's more for you.

I highly recommend this song - its so hauntingly sad. Thanks again :)

Chapter 45
Song - Hallelujah by Allison Crowe

I've heard there was a secret chord
That David played and it pleased the Lord
But you don't really care for music do you?

Max opened Michael's door with his powers and placed Liz on the couch. Somewhere between the motel and Michael's apartment, she had stopped screaming and settled into a glazed-eyed unresponsive state that worried Max much more than her gut wrenching wails.

Max called Michael's name and went to his bedroom. Finding the room empty and the bed unslept in, he returned to Liz.

Fearing she was going into shock, he wrapped her in a blanket from the couch, kissed her head tenderly and said, "I have to make some calls, Liz. I have to find everyone, and get them here, okay?" She didn't answer, didn't even turn her head towards him. She just sat there and closed her eyes.

Liz was lost in her memories. Pictures of Kal, from their life together, from her childhood, ran behind her eyes like a silent movie. She recalled so many of their moments together, all leading up to the image of him disintegrating on the motel room floor. She whimpered pitifully at the image she would never be able to forget.

Tears welled in Max's eyes as he looked at her and he promised hollowly, "You're going to be alright."

It goes like this - the fourth the fifth
The minor fall, the major lift
The baffled King composing Hallelujah

He left the couch and walked to the kitchen, not wanting her to overhear when he told the others of Langley's death. He tried Michael's cell first. It rang five times and went to voicemail. Max hung up and tried again.

Somewhere in the dark desert, where Michael's motorcycle sat, his phone, strapped to the bike in a pouch, rang and rang, with no one for miles to hear it.

Max cursed and tried Isabel's phone. It sat on her vanity table, without a soul at home to pick it up.

And then Max called Tess. When his call went straight to voicemail he called the hospital, only to be told that Tess had called out for the night.

Max's stomach twisted. Langley was dead - murdered. And none of the others were answering. Had they been attacked? Were they lying dead somewhere out there?

Hallelujah, Hallelujah

Max called Nasedo last, but still received no response. He knew it was too much to be a coincidence. His mind played out all the scenarios of what could have happened to them all - awful images of where they were at that very moment, taunted him. Because there was absolutely nothing he could do to help any of them.

He had to stay here with Liz - he had to make sure she was safe. All he could do was wait.

Hallelujah, Hallelujah

He picked up his phone and dialed again, and then again, praying as he never had in his life for one of them to answer.

Your faith was strong but you needed proof
You saw her bathing on the roof
Her beauty in the moonlight overthrew you

While Max was in the kitchen, Liz stood and stumbled out onto the small balcony. There was a heaviness on her chest and she needed the fresh air.

Once outside she breathed deep as the stars stared down at her, almost mockingly.

Liz fell to her knees, as the weight of all that had happened crashed down on her, threatening to crush her. Looking up at the stars she spoke. "I had that slumber party when I was eight. Do you remember? By midnight all of the girls were huddled together because they were afraid. The house was so big, and it was never quiet. They were scared of monsters and ghosts. But I wasn't scared. I was never afraid. Because I knew you were there. You were so strong, so indestructible, like, this super-hero. Nothing scared you. And I knew nothing could ever, ever get to me, because it would have to go through you first. And I knew you would never let that happen."

Liz tried to swallow but couldn't get past the lump in her throat that caused her voice to squeak, "But I'm scared now Kal. I need you. I need you more than ever. I don't know what to do. I can't do this without you. I know people die, and it's part of life, I know that. But you're not people. You're Kal - my Kalvin. I need you to come back. If there's anyway - anyway you can use your alien…Just come back. Please God Kal, come back. I'm so scared. Don't leave me here all alone." She begged on her knees, and only the darkness answered her.

She tied you to a kitchen chair
She broke your throne, she cut your hair
And from your lips she drew the hallelujah

Liz leaned forward, her head resting on the railing of the balcony, and when the wind blew softly she thought she heard a sound - a voice.

Her eyes widened as she stood looking down below into the trees and bushes. And then she heard it again. More defined this time - definitely a voice - calling her.

"Liiiizzzz." The night whispered.

"Kal." She answered in a hushed tone.

Hallelujah, Hallelujah

"Liiiizzzzz." It came again, from down among the trees, where she couldn't see. But she was sure of what she'd heard - it was her name.

And in her heart, she knew only one person would be calling for her now.

Hallelujah, Hallelujah

With hope rising in her chest, she ran back into the apartment to the front door. Ready to go out and find Kal, who she was certain was down there in the dark, waiting for her.

Maybe I've been here before
I know this room, I've walked this floor
I used to live alone before I knew you

Liz had just reached the door and was about to turn the handle when she heard Max behind her say, "Liz? Where are you going?"

She turned quickly, hope shining on her tear stained face as she told him, "It's Kal, Max. He's downstairs."

"What?"

"I was outside, talking to him, praying for him to come back and I heard him - he called me. I heard him say my name. He's down there Max, right now, waiting for me." Liz said, a sharp sparkle in her eyes, making her look a little wild, a little hysterical.

Max glanced towards the balcony doors, his face a mask of confusion, and then turned to her and said slowly, "Liz, Kal died. We saw him die."

"No." Liz shook her head, "He came back. He's not human Max, he's an alien. He can't die. He can come back."

Max wanted to weep at the certainty in her voice. A certainty he would have to crush, reopening a still fresh wound that had not even started to heal. He didn't know what she had heard, but he knew without question, he would die before he let her go outside to find it.

"He can't come back Liz. Aliens die. We're not…gods. Kal is gone." He said as gently as he could, standing now in front of the door, blocking her way.

Liz's brow wrinkled in confusion. Why was he doing this to her? "Why don't you believe me? I heard him! Get out of the way, I have to go to him, he needs me."

I've seen your flag on the Marble Arch
Love is not a victory march
It's a cold and it's a broken hallelujah

"Liz, no." Max said, with more force, needing to get through to her. "Kal is dead. You saw it. He is not downstairs, he's dead."

"Don't say that!" Liz yelled, her heart breaking. "Move out of the way!"

"No."

"Move!"

"No Liz!"

And then she slapped him hard enough to leave a red imprint on his cheek, the sound echoing off the apartment walls. A river ran down from her eyes as she looked at him and said, "Open the door, Max."

Hallelujah, Hallelujah

Max looked at her, his own eyes now full and said quietly, "If you want to blame me, that's okay. I blame me. If you want to scream and cry and hit me all night, you go right ahead. But don't ask me let you walk out this door, Liz, because I can't. I promised him I'd keep you safe. He wouldn't be in the bushes, in the dead of night wanting you to come get him. Whoever…whatever is out there - it is not Kal Langley."

When he saw understanding come into her eyes, when he saw the dreadful sadness take over her features, he knew she had heard him, believed and understood him. Liz put her hand over her mouth to stop the sobs that she couldn't keep in.

Hallelujah, Hallelujah

"I'm sorry Liz. I'm so fucking sorry." Max said, tears streaming down his face.

He hugged her to him and held her as tight as he could, wanting to absorb her pain, take it into himself if he could. Max and Liz sank down to the floor together, crying in each others arms.

There was a time when you let me know
What's really going on below
But now you never show it to me, do you?

Max stood outside the bathroom door a while later. Liz had wanted to shower, and he thought the water might be soothing. But he didn't want to be too far away from her, in case she called out for him, in case she needed him.

And then his eyes settled on the balcony doors.

Anger hardening his features, he walked to them and outside onto the balcony. He scanned the grass below, looking for whatever had taunted Liz. He didn't think the voice had been her imagination, he didn't think she'd made it up.

Whatever killed Langley was out here, or had been. It was trying to draw Liz out, to lure her to it. And the thought enraged Max like nothing else ever had. She was so hurt, so fragile and the thing responsible for her pain was using her vulnerability to try and do even more damage.

Max looked, hoping to see something, anything, the urge to kill burning at his fingertips.

And remember when I moved in you
And the holy dark was moving too
And every breath we drew was hallelujah

And then he felt a presence. He couldn't see anyone, but he knew something was there. Max raised his hand to blast it, whatever it was, but held himself back at the last minute. This was an apartment building. A building filled with innocent people, any one of whom might get caught in the crossfire.

Max stared down into the blackness and whispered, "Who are you?"

Hallelujah, Hallelujah

Then thinking of Langley, he shouted, "Who are you? Show yourself, you fucking coward!"

A voice from the darkness answered, "Time's not right. But don't worry Maxie, it's comin' - and soon."

Max shivered.

Not out of fear, but because the voice in the night had sounded so very much like his own.

He felt the presence retreat and disappear. And Max went back inside to check on Liz.

Hallelujah, Hallelujah

Maybe there's a God above
And all that I've ever learned from love
Was how to shoot at someone who outdrew you

He found her in Michael's bedroom, sitting on the bed, looking ever so small, a large black towel wrapped around her.

She glanced up at him as he entered and said in a flat voice, "I didn't know what to put on."

Max nodded and retrieved a T-shirt from the bottom drawer. "It's mine." He explained as he offered it to her, "I leave some clothes here, stay over sometimes, if we're out late…searching."

Liz nodded and robotically pulled the shirt over her head, looking so tiny, almost childlike as the clothing reached her knees. Max stepped behind her, running his fingers through her hair, drying it as he went, the pain radiating from her almost bringing him to his knees. Knowing he was responsible for it.

"I can't…I can't stop thinking about it. I can't stop seeing it, Max. His face, when it caved in…when he…"

"Shhh." Max whispered into her hair, his arms around her waist pulling her close, wanting to steal the image from her mind. "Tell me what to do Liz. What can I do to make it better for you? I'll do anything…anything you say. I don't know what…I'm not good at…just tell me." He begged brokenly, not knowing the words, or the actions to take her grief away.

He felt her tremble and she said, "I can't feel anything, Max. I'm just…empty." And then she turned in his arms quickly, her lips against his cheek and she said, "Help me. Please, I just want to forget. Just for a minute. Help me feel something."

And then she was kissing his neck and pulling at his shirt. Unsure, Max grabbed her wrists, "Liz…I don't think we should." And then he saw her face, filled with perfect despair and need. "Are you sure?" He whispered, but she didn't answer.

She stepped away from him, and pulled the shirt over her head, baring herself for him. She walked back to him and grabbed his face roughly, kissing him hard. "Please Max. Please" She said desperately, and he couldn't deny her.

He pulled her naked body up against his and took her mouth almost brutally.

He had come so close to losing her - not just by her leaving. Thoughts of all that could have happened if he hadn't answered his phone, if the monsters who had killed Langley had still been there, forced into overdrive Max's own urgent need to touch her, to feel that she was real and alive.

Liz ripped his shirt over his head, and he frantically removed his jeans, her hands over his, moving with him to rid him of his clothes. When they were both naked his arms were around her again, on her back, in her hair, rubbing, kneading her soft skin.

Liz gasped as the heat from his body touched hers, and the first tendrils of desire began to unfurl in her stomach. She wanted him inside her, making them one, she wanted to crawl inside his embrace and never leave. She wanted him to pound into her, rough and hard, driving out the memories, the sadness that engulfed her.

His movements were fierce and furious. He lifted her off her feet onto the dresser, sending all the items atop of it crashing to the floor, the sound of breaking glass and splintering wood unheard and unnoticed. Max pulled her by her thighs to the end, his fingertips digging in harsh enough to bruise. When her mouth was free she chanted, "Please, Max. Please." Urging him on.

And it's not a cry that you hear at night
It's not somebody who's seen the light
It's a cold and it is a broken hallelujah

And then he was pushing inside her, and she moaned her relief. He withdrew slowly, then slid in again, with more force, until soon he was ramming into her.

Liz scraped her fingernails down his back, leaving steaks of blood behind. Max's hands tangled in her hair and pulled, jerking her head back, her mouth open in a sigh, as he feasted on her neck. She shook out of his grasp and brought her mouth back to his, their tongues clashing, teeth gnashing as he continued to pound into her again and again.

Their lovemaking was violent and raw, but still an act of love. Of giving and taking what the other needed and offered, anything to make each other whole.

Max picked her up, one arm beneath her bottom, the other over her head against the wall for balance. He pinned her to the wall with his driving hips. Liz pulled at his hair and cried, "Harder Max, ah…harder." And he obliged.

Hallelujah, Hallelujah

He had no fear of hurting her. In that moment she didn't feel weak or fragile. She was a force - addictive and strong, beckoning him, pulling him to her, trapping him inside her.

She broke another savage kiss and bit his shoulder, making him cry out. His mouth never left her body, sucking and licking from her shoulder to her neck and then her breast. His pace was faster, his hips hammering her against the wall, the rhythmic thumping mixing with the sounds of their whimpers and pleas.

They raced together to the edge, the grinding of their hips bringing them ever closer to the completion their bodies sought and their souls craved.

Hallelujah, Hallelujah

And then they were there.

Grasping at one another, desperately, ferociously, falling over, together.

Liz screamed in agonizing ecstasy, clamping down around him, as her orgasm rippled through her, seeming never ending, as the blissful spasms went on and on and on.

Max groaned and gasped her name as he came long and hard, forcing her to the wall and holding her there with his hips, as his seed flooded her passage, pumping into her over and over again.

Hallelujah, Hallelujah

Sweaty, spent, and breathing hard, they raised their faces to one another. Max pushed Liz's damp hair off her forehead, and Liz kissed him softly in gratitude.

For just a moment, he had given her the gift of oblivion. She had forgotten the horrible turn her life had taken, and known only the joy their joining brought.

Still inside her, Max carried her to the bed and withdrew as he laid her down. He retrieved a blanket from the edge, and covered her gently before climbing in behind her, surrounding her in the healing warmth of his arms and his love.

It was almost dawn, and Liz's mind was as exhausted as her body, so Max watched over her as she fell, at last into a restless sleep.

Hallelujah, Hallelujah
Last edited by trulov on Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
trulov
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Falling Dominoes (CCw/UC Adult) 12/6 Part 45 pg14

Post by trulov »

Hey guys - Thank you for the feedback (it really means a lot!!) and for still reading this!

Chapter 46

The sound of Kyle's voice roused Tess from sleep, the early morning sun lighting the bedroom. She rolled over, her nose in the pillow that smelled like him and she smiled. She couldn't help herself as she recalled their night together.

She hadn't known…well, there was so much she now knew, that she hadn't known - about desire, about men, about what real lovemaking could be like. But Kyle had shown her. It was a lesson she would not forget, and one she wouldn't mind repeating.

She rolled to her side and watched him dress. When Kyle's eyes found her awake he smiled and leaned over the bed half dressed to kiss her soundly. "Don't get up." He ordered. "I have to go into work, I'll be back as soon as I can. But don't move. I want to find you just like this," His finger traced her bare arm, making her quiver, "When I get back."

Kyle stood and stretched his sore back, knowing it was covered in scratches - evidence of the passion they had shared. To say last night had been the best sex of his life sounded crude and cheap, but pretty damn accurate all the same. It had been an almost religious experience. Tess was both wild and shy, bold but timid, her contradiction making their lovemaking spontaneous and unique.

But it hadn't just been about the sex - as great as it was, not for him. He wanted more than just a one night stand with her, and he hoped she would want the same. Kyle was already planning what he would say to her, the talk they would have when he got back from work.

Tess watched him finish putting on his uniform. When he buckled his gun belt, she asked, "Nothing too serious, I hope."

"Don't think so." Kyle assured her, "Hanson called. There was a disturbance at the motel late last night. He drove around, didn't see anything, but thinks I should check it out."

The mention of the motel stole the smile from Tess' face, but Kyle didn't notice. "What kind of disturbance?" She asked.

"Some screaming, crashing. Most likely a tourist that had one too many, I'd guess. Probably thought aliens were invading." He joked, but Tess didn't laugh.

"Right." She said.

Seeing the worry on her pretty face now, Kyle caressed her cheek, "Hey, it's okay really. This time of year brings out all the crazies, but it's never anything serious."

Tess nodded and forced a smile.

"You can shower if you like, make yourself at home. There's coffee in the kitchen and cereal, but I wouldn't eat anything in the fridge if I were you. When I get back though, I don't want you anywhere except in this bed, got it?"

"Okay." She whispered, and then meaningfully added, "Be careful Kyle."

He nodded with a smile and left.

As soon as she heard his car drive away, Tess was out of bed and dressing. Something had happened at the motel. She didn't believe in coincidences, and contrary to her feelings last night, she had to make sure Michael and Isabel and Max were okay.

She didn't let herself think about Kyle, what they had shared, or how she felt about him. She would do that later, after she was sure the others were safe.

Once dressed, Tess grabbed her bag and walked out the door, only to curse when she remembered she hadn't brought her car. Her house was too far to walk, and she didn't want to risk calling anyone from Kyle's phone.

Tess thought for a moment and then decided. Her house was too far, but the house she had "grown up" in, Ed Harding's house, was just a few blocks away. That's where she would go. Maybe there, she would find some answers.

Tess walked up the front steps and knocked on the door, which was quickly opened by Nasedo, his car keys in hand. Looking genuinely surprised to see her, he said, "Tess, what are you doing here? I was just coming to see you." Then, his eyes fell to the bag on her shoulder, "Going somewhere?"

"No." Tess squirmed, "These are, clothes from work. I just came from the hospital and I keep a bag there to change."

He nodded and seemed satisfied with the explanation.

"What happened at the motel? Kyle said something happened there last night?"

Nasedo's brows rose in question, "Kyle?"

"Valenti - the sheriff. He, ah…gave me a ride here from the hospital. My car…gave me some trouble." Tess explained, hoping he believed her.

"I see." Nasedo said, distractedly. Tess noticed he was staring at her stomach intently. Luckily for her he was so focused there, he failed to notice the discrepancies in her story. When he continued to stare, Tess looked down at herself, What was he looking at? Did she have as stain on her clothes?

"So?" She asked. When he raised his eyes and she saw the confusion on his face, she clarified, "The motel - what happened. Are the others alright?"

"Yes, yes, the others are well - more or less. Any commotion at the motel is insignificant." Nasedo tried to focus on the conversation - the most important he would ever have with Tess. But what he was feeling from her kept distracting him. "Have you given any thought to our discussion yesterday morning?"

Had it been just yesterday, Tess wondered. Was it just twenty-four hours ago, that he had told her Max was cheating on her and she thought her whole world was ending?

"I did." She answered. "Max has made his choice. I don't see anything I can do about it."

Nasedo's eyes became hard as he said, "Max has no choice. You are the once and future Queen of Antar, his bride, his mate. Not some human whore. You must make him understand this."

"I can't make him feel something for me that's not there. That never has been." Tess argued. She realized then, the pain she had felt when saying the words was no longer sharp and jagged, like a blade sticking out of her chest. Today, there was only a dull ache, like a fading bruise, associated with the idea that she would not have the life she had always expected - at least not with Max.

His feelings had changed - it was a fact. But it didn't have to be apocalyptic - not for her - not today.

“I raised you to be a Queen,” Nasedo retorted harshly, “Not a fool. Do you want to be thrown away, like yesterday’s trash? Do you want to hand over your husband, your kingdom to some human who is not fit to bow at your feet? Mark my words Tess, if you allow him to stray any farther, there will be no place for you. You will be alone - reviled. You will be seen as a leper.” And then he added what he knew would be the death blow, “And so will your child.”

She paled and gasped, "What?"

Nasedo smiled eerily, "It's true. It is early, but you carry the heir inside you. At last.”

Tess felt sick. She turned away and walked to the window, but Nasedo followed closely, whispering behind her, “What kind of life do you want for him, Tess? Do you want him to be viewed and treated as the prince he is? Or do you want him to be denied his birthright, hated and resented by his own father? You must pull Max from the clutches of the human if your child is to have the future he is entitled to. And it must be now. You cannot birth him on earth - its not safe, for any of us. The only thing standing in the way of our return to Antar is Liz Parker. If you help me, if you help yourself, Max will have no choice but to relinquish his affections for her, and return them to you, as it always should have been. He can’t do it alone. She has ensnared him, bewitched and trapped him. She has made him weak. Only you can free him, Tess. Only you can restore him to greatness.”

Tess wasn’t thinking of Max at all. She was thinking of the life inside her. The heart beat she suddenly knew was there, that was not her own. What was she going to do?

“Liz Parker has the answers, all the answers we need, and Max has allowed her to keep them to herself for far too long. I can get them Tess. With your help, with your skills, I can get the information we require, and you…you will have Max, just like you’ve always wanted. Everyone wins…especially your dear, precious son. It’s the only way to be sure he will be protected. If you won’t save yourself and your King, at least act to save your child.”

Nasedo saw the effectiveness of his words in Tess’ expression. He saw her weighing the possibilities, the outcomes and he knew with just one more push he would have her just where she needed to be.

"Tess." Nasedo called firmly, "Everything hangs in the balance. Your destiny is now. The choices of a Queen are not easy - they never have been, but indecision will only lead to destruction...and death. You have a choice before you - you must act. You must choose - Liz Parker's life or the life of your child?"

For Tess Harding, who had always longed for a family, who had for years dreamed of a husband and a child to love, for she who had been raised to be Max’s Queen, there was only one choice to make.

With her hand on her womb she said resolutely, "What do I need to do?"
trulov
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Falling Dominoes (CCw/UC Adult) 12/8 Part 46 pg 15

Post by trulov »

Hey everyone! Okay - here's the next part - its a bit long, but I didn't think you would mind. Thanks for all your comments and for reading this. Things will start to get exciting from here.

kay-b - 'fraid this part will most likely bring more questions then answers. Its unclear what Nasedo's motive is at this point. An heir would certainly secure the throne for Max and Tess on Antar. Subjects always prefer king's with heir's b/c then they know who they're getting next. At the same time, Nasedo thinks (you'll see that in this part) that max and tess are already under his thumb. He's the master and they the puppets. They just don't know it yet. Either way - Nasedo is out for control - of Max, Tess and Antar.

Twilighteyes - thanks! Good point re: the baby. nasedo did talk with tess the day before and didn't mention the baby. Paternity will come out in a few more parts. As for the scion - nope pain and heartache can't do it. Sorry. There are very specific parameters that future max set - ask yourself, when would he want Liz to know whatever info. is in there? It will open before the story is over - promise.

TImelord31 - thanks!

AlysLuv - Yeesssssss! I agree - Tess got a crap deal in this story - then again - most of them did - except Liz during the the first 25/26 years of her life with Kal.

nitpick23 - all good questions which will come up in the part after this one. Nasedo is a sly dog - even when Max tries to make the right choice and work against him, he has his ways!

Natalie36 - I always thought of him as a master manipulator. THanks

roswell4life - YYeeeeeeeeeeeeessssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

AvalonRose - yes, you're right - things are about to get very, very ugly. The baby daddy will be revealed a few parts from now - sorry to make you wait - but I post often so it won't be too bad!

pandas2001 - anything's possible! A few more parts and we'll know who the father is. Thanks

Chapter 47

When Max and Isabel were nine years old, Diane Evans bought them an 800 piece set of wooden dominoes. It had been just after their vacation at the beach, where the two children had spent hours drawing meticulous designs in the sand. She had purchased the activity for them in the hopes to nurture what she saw as artistic potential. Instead of sand, they could use the dominoes for their detailed creations.

And they had.

For weeks it had been their favorite toy. No words had been needed as they set up the dominoes, one after the other, both knowing intrinsically the pattern they were making. And then, after hours of painstaking work, they would watch the dominoes fall. They took turns over who would get to knock the first one down. There had been something mesmerizing, something hypnotic about watching the configuration flatten, and the resounding click that was heard as one after another fell.

It was that image, of the falling dominoes, that kept coming to Max as he lay wide awake in Michael's bed, his mind filled with worry and questions. Those moments in his life personified perfectly how they had all come to be where they were today. By preventing Liz from ever coming to Roswell, his future self had set in motion the chain of events that had led them all to this point, this day.

Not that he blamed him. Knowing all he knew now, feeling all he felt, he wholeheartedly agreed Liz would have been better off having never met him, never knowing that his world existed. She would have been happy and safe. But because of his decisions, his selfish desire to have one more night with her, she was now neither and he wasn't entirely sure how she ever would be again.

Liz moaned in her sleep and Max whispered soothingly to her, as he had for the last few hours. Words of love and promises of protection lulled her back into a silent rest. Her disquiet brought Max back to the question that had plagued him above all the others.

Who killed Kal Langley?

It was the key to everything, because if he knew the answer, he would know who he was up against, who most likely held his friends at that very moment.

Shape shifters were by definition, adaptive. The microscopic organisms within their cells allowed them to change their form, and also made it exceedingly difficult for them to be killed. The shifter's cells would adapt to a foreign body, a bullet for example, or the blade of a knife. And their cells were regenerative, so any damage from the entrance of the object would heal itself.

Max knew that to kill a shape shifter you literally had to disintegrate the organisms within their very cells. It required a lot of power - power he had never known Nicolas to have. Maybe, Max thought, if there had been ten of them, if Langley had been ambushed, the skins could have managed it.

But this theory didn't satisfy him either, because he knew most of the skins - the regular infantry - were relatively weak. Practically defenseless pawns who followed Nicolas out of fear and the desperate hope that he could return them to their planet, where they could live without the need of a husk. He had seen Langley fight first hand. Yes, he had been out of practice, but he had been powerful and smart and Max just couldn't picture him being over run by the skins alone.

He turned on his side to watch Liz as she slept, needing the comfort looking at her provided. "What am I going to do with you?" he asked aloud, and then kissed her forehead tenderly. It was another puzzle that despite the hours of trying, he had yet to find a solution for.

He couldn't just send Liz away, out into the world, defenseless, not when Nicolas was obviously so determined to have her. That left the option of keeping her in Roswell, where she would remain in danger, but he would be here to protect her.

Not that he'd done the best job of that so far…not that he had been able to protect the others. As his thoughts turned to Michael and Isabel and Tess once more, the knife twisted in his gut, and he closed his eyes against the sting. He wanted to find them, he did…but he couldn't see how…he couldn't just leave Liz here all alone.

And then Max heard the turning of the knob at the front door. Someone was here and they were trying to get in.

He slid out from under Liz, careful not to wake her. He stalked down the hall soundlessly and grabbed the handle flinging the door open, his hand stretched out in front, a blast ready.

He sighed with relief when he saw that it was Nasedo.

Maria felt a dip in the couch and a loss of warmth, both sensations bringing her awake quickly. She opened her eyes to see Michael, stepping into his pants, dressing, his back to her.

"Michael?" She asked, her throat horse with sleep.

He turned to her, meeting her eyes for the briefest of moments, before gazing beyond her,

as he said, "Good, you're up. We need to go."

"It's morning?" Maria asked in surprise as she observed the sunlight peeking in from the door at the top of the stairway that led to the outside. She didn't remember falling asleep.

"Yeah," Michael answered as he put his shoes on, "I can't believe I got so caught up in…We need to get back and tell Max what's going on. We have to warn them." He finished. He still couldn't believe he hadn't gone right to Max immediately. His distraction had put them all in danger.

It wasn't what he was saying that had Maria feeling frustration and hurt clog her throat, but the way he was saying it. It was the flat tone of his voice - as if he was speaking to a stranger, it was how his body was turned away from her, and how he had still yet to look her in the eyes.

Internally, Maria sighed. She thought they were past this. After last night, after what they'd shared, how could he be this way?

She knew the answer of course. She had gotten too close - she had crossed over some imaginary line in his mind that he had created in some asinine attempt at protecting himself.

She had thought they were beyond all of that, but with every move he made, Michael told her she had been wrong.

"Michael?" Maria tried as she dressed, but he didn't answer her. He was looking up the stairs towards the door and would not even turn around to face her.

"Michael!" She tried again. And this time when he did look at her, Maria wished he hadn't.

His eyes were hard and impatient as he said, "What?" The tone in which he spoke making her feel as if she had been slapped.

She felt tears rise, but refused to let them fall as she quickly put on her shirt and shoes. She shook her head at him as he continued looking at her harshly and said, "We need to go, now. The others could be in trouble."

"Right." Maria said curtly and then added as she walked to the door, "Then I won't risk our friends' lives by wasting time telling you I think you're a bastard…and a coward."

Michael heard the hurt in her voice and hated himself for it. He hadn't decided to be an asshole when he woke up that morning. Actually, when he had first opened his eyes he'd felt happier, and more contented than ever in his life. He had smiled when he saw Maria's face, flawless and serene in sleep, her arms wrapped around him. He had thought it was a wonderful way to wake up, a sight he would happily rise to see every morning for the rest of his life.

And it had been that single thought that had him resurrecting his walls higher than ever.

He couldn't wake up everyday in her arms because the day would come when he would have to leave. How would he do that? How would he leave her, when after just one night he wanted forever - had no desire to be anywhere she wasn't?

And even if that day came ten or twenty years from now, what kind of life did he have? What could he offer her? He'd lived in the same run down apartment since high school. He was a half ass artist who could potentially be hunted by the FBI, or some other alien enemy he didn't even know about yet. A life with him would never be safe. And Maria deserved better…much better than anything he could ever give.

As they walked to the car he heard her say, "Go ahead Michael - go climb back in your coffin."

"My what?"

"Your coffin. It's sealed up airtight - nothing and no one gets in, you don't let anything out. But guess what? None of it even matters - because you're already dead inside."

Michael pushed his hand through his hair in frustration as he got behind the wheel of the car, "I don't know what the hell you're saying."

"And I'm done trying to make you understand." Maria said, sounding worn-out.

Michael started the car, but didn't move it. With both hands on the wheel, staring straight ahead he said sincerely, "I just…I don't want you to get hurt, Maria."

She gave a small, bitter laugh and said quietly, "Too late."

"What do you mean you don't know where they are?" Nasedo asked, after Max had begun to explain the current situation.

"When Liz and I got here last night, no one was here. And I haven't been able to reach Isabel or Tess."

Nasedo asked, "Miss Parker is with you? Why is she not at the motel?"

Max looked ill as he said, "Langley was killed last night, at the motel."

"Are you sure?"

"He collapsed into a pile of dust in front of us." Max explained.

How delightful, Nasedo thought but said, "How unfortunate." He wondered how the sneaky little bastard had pulled it off as he continued, "You realize Nicolas is behind this."

"I know." Max agreed.

Nasedo paused, and looked disapprovingly at Max, "So let me see if I have this correctly. You stumble upon the body of a shape shifter, who Nicolas has murdered. You are unable to contact your bride, your second or your sister? And your response is to hole up in Michael's apartment with Liz Parker all night?"

Anger flashed in Max's eyes…and guilt, "Whoever killed Langley was targeting Liz. I had to keep her…I had to make sure the information she has didn't fall into Nicolas' hands."

"I see." Nasedo conceded, "Well, if I were you, I may want to make sure that the royal family hasn't fallen into Nicolas' hands as well."

"I already planned on it." Max said.

"Good. You should dress and we will start immediately."

Max looked at Nasedo appraisingly, hating the doubt that filled his head but unable to forget Langley's warnings, "We're bringing Liz with us."

His facial expression completely neutral, Nasedo said, "If that's what you think is best."

As Max started to leave the room, he added nonchalantly, "Although, you do realize that if Nicolas has captured the others, he'll be using them for bait? To trade, for Miss Parker. You could be bringing her right to him."

Max considered this a moment and Nasedo went on, "If she is with us when we encounter the skins, it will also hamper our ability to rescue the others. She could be left out in the open alone, or caught in the crossfire."

Nasedo new Max well - knew how his mind worked, how he thought. It had been he who had taught him to strategize, to think like a King after all. So he knew just what to say without actually saying it, just how to nudge him ever so slightly, so Max would believe it was his own idea to leave Liz behind.

But he had miscalculated - he had misjudged the influence Kal Langley had had on Max, and the effect of one early morning conversation in particular.

Max looked at the shape shifter and tried to be objective. He searched his mind for any trace, any hint of a time when Nasedo had not made their interests his only priority. Any suggestion that he would ever betray them.

Try as he might, Max could not find even one.

Langley could have been wrong. Their life on Antar had been decades ago - a lot could change in half a century. He certainly had - so had Langley, for that matter. Was it so inconceivable to believe that Nasedo had changed as well?

"The last time you died because you trusted the wrong people. I hope to god you're smarter this time around."

Max wanted to trust him, he needed an ally, now more than ever. But something inside him believed in Kal Langley more - and always had where Liz was involved.

"Your concerns are noted. But I'm not going anywhere without her." Max said, in a tone that left no room for argument.

Nasedo nodded and said, "As you wish."

Max nodded as well and walked down the hall to wake Liz.

When Max was in the bedroom, the door closed behind him, Nasedo picked up his phone and spoke quietly when his call was answered.

"Our leader is having some difficulty leaving his pet behind."

"Well," Nicolas commented dryly, "That certainly throws a wrench into your plan. You're losing your touch. I thought you could steer the King down any road you wanted? Don't tell me the boy has chosen now to start thinking for himself."

"It's a habit I will rid him of shortly." Nasedo assured, "But at the moment, I require a distraction, something that will convince him the girl will be better off, for a time, away from him. We are at the apartment, we'll be outside soon."

"Then we'll be there to greet you." Nicolas answered.

Liz stood in the back of the church and smoothed the white lace of her strapless gown. She looked up and saw a smiling Kal beside her. "You sure about this? There's still time to back out, you know. The jet is ready and waiting."

Liz smiled, shook her head at him and chastised, "I'm sure Kal. This is it. He's the one."

"You look beautiful, sweetheart." Kal said as he kissed her cheek.

Liz bit her bottom lip, and peered through the crack in the door, to see her husband-to-be at the alter, waiting for her. The breath left her body as she saw his handsome smiling face - a stunning sight in his black tuxedo. Max Evans. Her soul mate, her love.

She looked up when she heard the musicians warming up. It was almost time.

Isabel approached her wearing her red satin bridesmaid gown. Liz frowned when she saw the sadness on the other girl's face.

"Oh, Liz, I'm so sorry." She said.

Liz looked down , where Isabel was looking and saw a red stain spreading out from her middle, defiling the pure white of the wedding dress she wore.

Isabel tsked, but made no move to help Liz wipe the stain away. Instead she said, "This is all Max's fault. If he hadn't left you, this never would have happened."

"Max didn't leave me." Liz insisted. Max loved her, he would never leave her.

Isabel smiled coldly, and Liz noticed the difference in her eyes. They were no longer soft and warm as she knew Isabel Evans' to be. They now glowed an unearthly green, as she opened the Church doors, revealing barren pews and an empty alter.

"See?" Isabel said, "I told you. He's gone."

Liz looked around, confused. Where had they all gone? Where was Max? Where was Kal?

"Poor Liz," Isabel cooed, "All alone."

"No!" Liz said firmly, pushing Isabel away, "Max is here somewhere. I'll find him."

Isabel laughed, "He's already gone, Liz." She pushed a lock of Liz's hair back from her face, caressing her cheek gently, "And now you're going to die because of it."

Liz jerked up in bed, a gasp caught in her throat as she woke up from the nightmare. Her panicked eyes found Max's concerned ones where he stood at the foot of the bed. He sat down beside her and took her in his arms.

He rubbed her back gently and said, "It's alright, I'm here."

Liz buried her face in his chest and held him tightly, his arms, his scent chasing away the fear that echoed through her. Max pulled back from her and gave her a pair of jeans and a long sleeve shirt that he had altered to her size.

"We have to go. Nasedo's here now, we need to find the others."

Not having the time to give into her grief again, Liz ignored the heaviness in her chest and the puffiness of her eyes. In moments she was dressed. She pushed her hand through her hair before clasping it in Max's, and together they walked out of the room.

As the trio exited the apartment building minutes later, Max heard Nasedo yell, "Down!"

As he crouched to the ground taking Liz with him, Max felt the blast whiz past him, just missing his head. What the fuck? He thought. It was early, and thankfully there was no one else on the street just then, but this attack was frighteningly bold - even for Nicolas.

Max heard more blasts and explosions - dozens of them, landing all around them as they took cover behind his car. They were pinned in.

He stood, his shield before him from one hand, a powerful blast coming from the other. Scanning the street across from him quickly, Max counted fifteen, maybe twenty skins and he saw Nicolas in an alley between two buildings. He fired again, taking out two skins, but missing his intended target.

"There's too many!" Nasedo warned. "We need to split up and divide their forces."

Down behind the car once more, Max agreed. Caught up in the urgency of the battle, thinking of nothing but getting Liz away from the immediate threat he said, "Liz, come around with me to the front, get in my car and then scramble out the other side. Stay down and get into Nasedo's car." Then he turned to Nasedo, "They'll think she's with me. I'll lead them away. You get her out of here and meet up with me at the pod chamber in one hour."

Nasedo nodded, his face a mask of concerned concentration as he stood and fired a shot of his own at the enemy.

"No, Max." Liz begged, "I want to stay with you."

Max's heart tugged at the plea in her voice, and he touched her face lovingly, "It will just be for a little while. This is the only way Liz. It'll be okay, I promise."

Her hands shaking, Liz nodded reluctantly. Max kissed her softly and said, "Ready? Stay close to me."

Then together they stood, Max's shield protecting them from the numerous blasts that came their way. Max brought them around the front of the car, making sure the skins saw Liz get in, then he ran back around to the driver's side. He opened the door and got in after Liz crawled out onto the ground.

Blasts rocked his car as he watched her get into Nasedo's car which was parked behind his.

Max started the car and drove straight. As predicted the majority of the skin faction started to follow him. His eyes remained on the rear view mirror, until Nasedo's car disappeared, going the opposite way.

He wasn't there to see Nicolas calmly walk to his own car and take off in the same direction Nasedo had gone.

Liz sat stiffly in the passenger seat. Despite her discomfort around the shape shifter, she was more concerned for Max than for herself. She had seen his fighting skills, his power, first hand, but still…what if he didn't get away, what if he was wounded?

So consumed by her thoughts, she didn't notice at first when the car stilled a short time later, out among the desert. When she did take note of her surroundings, it was without worry, Max having mentioned in their talks, that the pod chamber was somewhere in the desert.

She got out of the car thinking that was where they had arrived, until she saw a second car pull up behind them, until she saw Nicolas get out of it. Panic started thumping in her chest, but before she could move, Nasedo had her by the arm, pulling her towards the skin.

Nicolas smiled at her coldly, "Ah, we meet again. I do believe you've gotten even prettier than the last time I saw you. Ready for that game now?"

Hiding her fear, understanding what he was doing, she turned her eyes on Nasedo and accused, "How can you do this? You were supposed to protect them."

Unaffected, he explained, "I am protecting them. You are the greatest threat Max has ever faced."

Anger surpassing her fear, Liz spat, "Max will kill you for this."

Nasedo laughed and said, "Max will never even know. At this very moment he is watching you die before his eyes. But don't worry, I will be there to console him."

"Hate to break this up, but we are on a schedule, and the clock is ticking." Nicolas interrupted. Grabbing her arm, he said "Get in the car."

She pulled out of his grasp, "Don't touch me."

Nicolas shook his head at her stupidity. He licked his lips, looking forward to touching her any damn way he wanted once they reached their final destination. And there would be nothing she could do to stop him. "Don't make this harder on yourself than it has to be."

Liz eyed Nasedo and the half man in front of her, and knew now was not the time to fight. If she was to get away, she would need all her strength and her wits about her to find an opportunity to escape once they got to wherever they were taking her. Looking down on them, her chin raised in defiance, Liz walked to Nicloas' car and got in.

"Call me when it's done." Nasedo said, and entered his own car to drive to the pod chamber where he was sure Max and Tess would be waiting.

At the house, Tess paced the living room floor, wringing her hands and feeling like she would throw up at any minute. She was not at all happy with the decision she had made…but she didn't have any other options.

She looked at her watch - it was time. She picked up her phone and made the call, just as Nasedo had instructed.

Max fired the final blast, dispatching the remaining skins who fought him. He didn't think about how easy it had been to defeat them, as if they hadn't really wanted to win. He hadn't noticed when half of the group who had followed him had turned away several minutes after his departure from Michael's apartment.

He was just grateful that his victory had been quick. Now he could meet back up with Liz sooner than expected, and they would go find Michael and Isabel and Tess together.

Getting back in his car and driving from the remote location he had lured the skins to, Max's phone vibrated beside him. He picked it up and warm relief spread throughout his limbs when he heard Tess's voice on the other line.

"Max?"

"Tess. Are you alright? Where are you?" He asked.

"I'm at the house. Where are you?" She asked innocently.

Ignoring her question, he said, "Are Isabel and Michael with you?"

"No." Tess answered, with unease at the question. Why would Max think they were with her?

Her thoughts were cut off when he ordered, "Stay there. I'm coming now."

"Okay." Tess agreed meekly and hung up the phone.

Anxiety gnawed at her, telling her that what she was about to do was wrong, a mistake, one she would never be able to take back.

But she pushed it away and determinedly walked out the door to meet Max when he drove up. So that he would be outside when she started the mind warp, exactly as Nasedo had ordered.
trulov
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Falling Dominoes (CCw/UC Adult) 12/11 Part 47 pg 15

Post by trulov »

Sorry its been a while - my kids had a stomach virus and now one has an ear infection! It never ends.

Anyway - i'll try and get back to my regular posting schedule of every other day. Hope you like!

Chapter 48

Max pulled up to his house and was out of the car before it stopped. He ran up to a waiting Tess and pulled her tightly into his arms, "You're okay. I was so worried."

After what she had seen last night, it was not the greeting Tess had been expecting.

Max pulled back and looked her in the eyes, "Where were you? The hospital said you called out, your phone was off."

Not having any other explanation, the truth tumbled from her lips, "I saw you, Max. Last night, at the motel with Liz. I saw you." Although her night with Kyle had gone far in healing her damaged heart, the years of pining for Max and the hurt of being rejected and lied to, was not erased because of one night spent in the comfort of another man's arms.

So it was with pain in her voice that Tess asked him, "How could you? After everything I've done? After all these years? I trusted you…I believed in you, in everything you said. How could you do that to me?"

Max's head fell in shame. There was no point in hiding, in pretending, not anymore. He owed her the truth. "I didn't mean for it to happen. You have to believe me…I never meant to hurt you Tess. I'm sorry I did. I just couldn't help it…I…"

"You fell in love with her." She finished for him.

"Yes."

Tess turned away from him, tears burning in her eyes. Everything Nasedo had told her was true. "He was right. You were just going to throw me away…like… like garbage."

She closed her eyes to start the mind warp.

"What? No, of course not." Max argued, and then he said the last thing Tess expected, "Liz was going to leave."

"What?" Tess asked, opening her eyes and turning back to face him, needing to see his face.

"She was supposed to leave this morning with Langley. She was supposed to go…and never come back." Max said, his voice flat, grieving for the way Liz's life was supposed to have been.

"Why?"

"I couldn't…I can't open the scion. Her staying would only keep her in danger, with no way out." Max explained.

"Why didn't you go with her? You loved…you love her. Why would you stay?" Tess asked, genuinely interested. She had seen the way Max looked at Liz - not just last night, but the night at the bar as well. She saw the changes in him, the new man, the better man he had become because of her. She couldn't see why he would let that go.

Max's face hardened at the unfairness of it all as he said, "My first obligation is to you. And Michael and Isabel. I would never turn away from that."

"Your obligation?" Tess parroted. "You were going to stay for me? For us?"

"Yes."

"You were going to be with me? Marry me, even though you loved her?"

"Yes." Max said again, brokenly.

"Why?" Tess whispered.

"I made promises…through the years to all of you. But most of all to you. I broke some of them. I…I wanted to keep the ones I could. I couldn't just leave…not after everything."

Tess looked at him in awe, despite the ache in her heart. Wonder at his loyalty, his responsibility…strong enough make him go against his own heart.

"Don't look at me like that." Max said firmly, "Like it was some noble thing. It wasn't."

"But…"

"I was condemning you to a life with a man who could never love you. Who would always be thinking of someone else. Always be wishing you were someone else. Is that the life you want, Tess?" He paused and touched her face tenderly, "Because I think you deserve more than that. I think we all do."

A picture of Kyle came to her, and she knew the life Max spoke of was most certainly not the one she wanted for herself. She wanted to be loved and cherished…not simply tolerated.

She looked at Max, his eyes staring back at her, filled with such feeling, the likes of which she had never seen in him. Tess thought about his words, about the fact that he would have stood by her, even though everything inside him had wanted to run away. But he hadn't and he wouldn't.

And it all became crystal clear to her in that instant. Nasedo had been right. She did have a choice to make. But it wasn't between Liz Parker and her son…it was between Max and Nasedo. Who would she trust? In whose hands would she put her future - her child's future?

Faced with that choice, despite all that had happened, she knew without question she would pick Max every single time.

The words rushed out of her, "Nasedo wanted me to mind warp you."

"What?" Max said, thinking he couldn't have heard her right.

"He wanted me to make you see Liz die in a car accident, an explosion."

"Why?"

"So he could access the scion himself. Then, in a few days he would pretend he had stumbled upon the Granolith by chance." Tess answered, regret choking her, "I'm sorry, Max. I was scared, I didn't know what you would do. I didn't know what to do. He said you needed my help, that you couldn't bring yourself to do what had to be done. I'm so sorry."

Wanting to deny the horror that was crowding in on him, Max said, "But Nasedo can't mind rape."

"He said he had other means."

The color drained from his face and Max choked out, "Liz."

"She's with Langley. Isn't she?" Tess asked, praying that the damage done by her mistake was not beyond repair. That somehow, her error could be rectified.

Max said hollowly, "Langley's dead, Tess."

"Oh…no." She whispered.

Then the screech of tires turned their heads to the car that pulled up with Michael and Maria inside. As he ran to Max, Michael said, "Nasedo's got his own agenda. He tried to kill Maria. He said you'd lost your perspective, that we had to contain the threats…eliminate the humans because you wouldn't. He's gone completely rogue, Max."

Max felt like he had been punched with a brick. Refusal swirled in his mind, not wanting to face what he had done - not wanting to believe where he had put Liz. He couldn't move - for a moment he couldn't think.

Then Maria said, "Where is Liz, Max?"

He whispered, "I left her. I left her with Nasedo."

"Oh my God." Maria said fearfully.

Finally snapping out of his trance, Max ran to his car, the three others following behind, not needing to be told to do so. He could taste the bile in the back of his throat as he drove, all his focus on the road ahead of him. On getting to the pod chamber…to Liz…before he was too late.

When Liz was eight years old, Kal taught her to play poker - a skill he believed every young girl should learn. He would host monthly card games at the mansion, with many of the higher ups in the Hollywood hierarchy. Famous actors, studio heads, producers and the like would come to enjoy some good food, good liquor, and a high stakes game of 5-card stud.

Before Liz reached her ninth birthday, Kal thought she played well enough to join them.

And so each month, if he wasn't away on business, she would play cards with the men. Initially some of the players objected, not having the heart to take money from a little girl. At first some of the men let her win, thinking her too sweet, too cute to beat.

Then they realized just how good she was. After that, she was no longer seen as Kal Langley's adorable little girl who was being indulged. No, they viewed her as an equal at the poker table - a card shark who happened to wear the face of a child, one who was after and could easily take their money.

It was never about the money for Liz. If the thousand dollar chips on the table had been pennies instead, she still would have wanted to play, still would have enjoyed the game, just as much. For her it was about winning. Outsmarting your opponent, outplaying your adversary whether by luck of the draw or bluff.

And what made her so difficult to beat was her expression - or lack thereof. Her poker face, if you will - a mask so perfected that even the most seasoned player couldn't tell if she held a busted hand or a royal flush.

She schooled her features, she gave nothing away, she refrained from any and all signs of what her next move would be. Just as Kal had showed her. And he had taught her well.

It was with that same unreadable expression that Liz sat in the car as it pulled up to an abandoned factory miles from the heart of Roswell.

She saw other cars parked in front of the building, and she could make out shadowed forms through the windows- seemingly dozens of them - milling about inside.

Her captors exited the car, opened her door, and flanked her as they walked to the entrance. Liz's head was high, not an once of fear on her face. As one would imagine a Queen, in the days of old, would have held herself when being lead to the guillotine.

To look at her you would never know the dread racing through her. She gave no hint that her legs trembled so badly, it was a miracle she was able to walk. She would never let on how terrified she was of dying, in this place, on this day. She wouldn't give them the satisfaction.

She was stubborn - always had been, even as a child. It was that stubbornness that she hoped would give her the strength to face whatever awaited her inside - that and Kal's words. She didn't know if it was her own imagination, grasping at straws of comfort, or some otherworldly power. But ever since she had entered Nicolas's car, she could hear him - as if he was right beside her whispering in her ear. Screw these fuckers, Liz. Sure they got you by the balls, but that doesn't mean they have to know that you know. Poker face, sweetheart - poker face.

Isabel awoke with a sigh and tried to roll from her side-resting position on to her back. But a warm solid form behind her blocked the move. She opened her eyes to the bright New Mexico sun all around her, streaming through the windows of the car. Her neck was stiff, her body sore from spending the night in the cramped confines of the backseat.

A smile spread on her face as the events of the night before came to her, and she scooted out from Alex's arm and crawled out of the car. Alex turned on his back, stretching into the space she had vacated, mumbling to himself, still in a deep sleep.

Once out of the car, Isabel stretched her rigid muscles and then walked behind the white tent for some privacy. She had to pee - badly. Squatting behind the tent to relieve herself, she laughed out loud. What a picture she must make. What a princess she was. If only the Queen who had given birth to her on Antar could see her now.

Isabel had never thought of the ghostly apparition they had seen in the message from the orbs as her mother. Diane Evans was the only woman who would ever hold that place for her. But Isabel knew her own station on that planet, and the mortification the royal woman would certainly feel at seeing her regal offspring urinating in the wilderness, after losing her virginity in the back seat of a car.

She almost couldn't believe it. Giving her innocence in the confines of an automobile was such a cliché, she knew. But she had no regrets. It had been perfect - Alex had made it perfect.

Her only concern was that she had not told him the truth of what she was before hand - and was not sure how she would ever be able to tell him, now, after the fact.

Having changed some fallen leaves into toilet tissue, she stood and cleaned herself. Then Isabel waved a hand in front of her face to remove the day old make-up, and the mascara she was sure had run down her eyes, making her look like a raccoon. Next, she waved her hand over her hair, adjusting it to perfection. Lastly, she took care of the morning breath.

She adjusted her strapless bra that was now digging into her breast bone, and thought of turning the wrinkled dress in to comfortable jeans and a top. But she couldn't. How would she explain her change of clothes to Alex? She shrugged and left the uncomfortable garment unaltered - it was the price she had to pay for her deception.

As she walked back around the tent, her attention was caught by the slam of a car door and footsteps coming from the front of the soap factory. Curious, Isabel stalked to the side of the building and peered around the corner.

Her hand came reflexively to her mouth to cover the gasp of surprise that was on her lips as her eyes took in the sight of Nicloas and another skin leading Liz Parker from a car into the building.

Isabel backed away slowly and then turned and ran as fast as she could to Alex's car. Hoping with all she had that he had brought a phone.