Falling Dominoes (CCw/UC Adult) [COMPLETE]

This is the gallery for the winners of the fanfic awards to show off their fics, and their banners!

Moderators: Itzstacie, Forum Moderators

trulov
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Falling Dominoes (CCw/UC Adult) 10/10 Part 28 pg20

Post by trulov »

Thanks to you all for reading and for your commments. Hope you like!

Chapter 29

Buried deep within the softness and warmth of her blankets, Liz Parker lay cradled in the sweet arms of sleep - a deep fulfilling slumber.

But then a tickle on her nose disturbed the perfect oblivion of her rest, pulling her towards wake-fullness. She pushed at the tickle with her hand, wanting to sink back down into bliss.

But then, it came again - a whisper of a touch on her cheek that had her wrinkling her brow and turning on her side, away from the disturbance.

And still again, a feathery sensation came, like a breeze, over each eyelid, causing her to raise her hand again to her face, to rid her of the nuisance. As she did she heard a deep chuckle, a sound she knew - had heard before.

She cracked open one eye, her retina objecting to the bright sunlight streaming from the window. Through the one eye, she identified the owner of the laugh and the cause of her now growing awareness.

Max.

She peered at his smiling face through the one eye and moaned, "Why are you here so early?"

Max looked down at the sleeping beauty on the bed, trying to ignore how enticing she looked, her hair rumpled, her skin a dusky pink. He had meant to just walk in the room, call her name and wake her up with a shake.

But when he'd looked at her asleep, looking so innocent, so serene, he couldn't stop himself from having some fun with her - tickling and teasing her awake.

If Max had thought about his playfulness, just for a moment, he would have realized it was an attitude strictly reserved for Liz. Something he'd never, in all their years together or even in the most recent days, had been tempted to share with Tess.

But he wasn't thinking clearly exactly. He was too busy fighting the urge to climb under the covers with Liz and pull her body against his - her looking so warm and inviting. He unknowingly took a step back as he said, "It's almost eleven o'clock Liz."

As his words registered, she took a deep breath, the oxygen awakening her mind so she could finally pry open the other eye. But when she tried to sit up, a drumbeat like pain thumped through her head.

"Ahhh," She moaned as her hand rose to her forehead to try and stem the ache.

"Are you alright?" He asked.

"Headache. Wine always gives me headaches." Liz responded, her eyes closed, still rubbing her forehead, "Don't you feel a little hung over, after last night?"

"No - I feel great."

"Ugg - you really are an alien."

With her eyes closed, Liz didn't see Max smile and reach his hand out to touch her temple. She couldn't see the glow at his fingertips, but she felt the gentle massaging of her scalp, banishing her headache.

"Better?" Max smirked.

Liz took another deep breath, her eyes now fully open and pain free, and said happily, "Where were you when I was in college? I could have really used you then."

Liz didn't typically sleep in so late. It was her habit to be in the office by seven-thirty in the morning. Her stay in Roswell had been anything but a vacation, but since she was more or less forced to stay in the motel, with not much to occupy her, she'd allowed herself to indulge the opportunity to sleep in later.

She rose from the bed, ready to start the day, and stretched languidly.

Max's eyes nearly popped out of his head as he watched her feline stretch, the arch of her back making the points of her pink nipples visible as they pressed against the white fabric of her tank top.

Jesus, was she trying to kill him? Did she even have any idea what she was doing to him?

Max turned his eyes to the floor as Liz walked to the dresser to run a brush through her luxurious locks as she asked, "So, what'd you have in mind for today?"

If she only knew what was on his mind at the moment, he thought and then stammered, "I…uh…thought we'd…um go…go for a run?"

Liz smiled at the thought. She hadn't had a good run in almost two weeks. "How'd you know I love to run?"

Max brought his eyes to hers, making sure they stayed right on her face, "Your list - question eighteen - hobbies."

"Right."

As Liz turned her back to him, she bent at the waist to retrieve two towels from the floor, giving Max an unavoidable view of her tight backside. He tore his eyes off her, back down to the floor, fighting desperately for control. From his view of the floor, he saw her feet move in slow motion towards him. His eyes moved of their own accord from her feet up her toned tan legs, that her miniscule boy shorts did little to cover.

Max stepped forward and spun Liz around, pulling her back flush against his front. She leaned her head to the side, so he could feast on her neck - kissing and sucking. He relished the feel of her firm ass pressed against his rapidly growing erection - nothing had ever felt so fucking good. "Max…Max…" She began to moan, her sweet voice ringing in his ears.

"Max!"

His eyes snapped up to Liz's face, as she stood a few steps from him with a peculiar look on her face. So lost in his fantasy, he hadn't realized Liz had been speaking to him for the last few seconds.

"What?" He asked almost breathlessly, as the sweat began to bead on his forehead.

"Clothes, Max." She handed him the towels she had picked up, her eyes wide, wondering if he really was feeling alright. "I need running clothes. Kal's been…you know." And she motioned with her hand, palm flat, grazing it over the towels.

"Oh! Right, sure." Max responded, grateful to have a task, something to occupy his wandering thoughts, even for just a moment.

He waved his hand over the towels, transforming them into a pair of gray sweatpants, a gray sports bra and white t-shirt. He handed her the outfit he had made, not realizing it matched his own perfectly.

Liz smiled and shook her head, still amazed at his abilities. She wondered if Kal understood the tens of thousands of dollars he could have saved over the years in her apparel bills by revealing his powers to her sooner. She smiled at the thought and said to Max, "Okay, I'll just get changed then."

"Sure." Max responded, unmoving from his spot.

Liz glanced down at the at the floor that seemed to fascinate him and then said, "Something I generally do without an audience, if you don't mind…"

"Huh?" Max asked, her words finally registering.

Liz raised her eyebrows at him, "I'm just going to change my clothes."

"Oh right!" He said, "I'll just wait…outside." And then Max practically ran out the door.

Song - What about now? By Daughtry

Change the colors of the sky.
And open up to
The ways you made me feel alive,
The ways I loved you.
For all the things that never died,
To make it through the night,
Love will find you.

Later, in his car, Max turned the volume up on the radio, enjoying the song that played as he drove while watching Liz's hair out of the corner of his eye being whipped into a frenzy by the wind of the open top.

Liz called to Max, loud enough to be heard above the music and the breeze, "So where are we going again?"

"To a neighborhood. It's not safe to jog on the highway." He answered, his eyes on the road ahead.

What about now?
What about today?
What if you're making me all that I was meant to be?
What if our love never went away?
What if its lost behind words we could never find?
Baby before its too late,
What about now?

"You mean because of the skins?" Liz asked, her voice hushed conspiratorially when she said the last word, though there was no one else to hear.

"No." Max scoffed, "Because of the pot holes - you could really twist an ankle if you step the wrong way. Nicolas would never try something when you're with me."

"Why's that?"

"Because he knows he can't win." Max stated confidently.

"You sound awfully sure of yourself." Liz commented with a smirk.

"About that? Absolutely." And he'd said it with such assurance, his jaw set in strong determination, Liz couldn't help but look at him and feel completely safe - protected.

The sun is breaking in your eyes
To start a new day.
This broken heart can still survive
With a touch of your grace.
Shadows fade into the light.
I am by your side,

Where love will find you.

She admired his forearms as he gripped the steering wheel, his well defined muscles on display in the sleeveless white t-shirt. Her eyes traveled down to his powerful legs, their outline still visible within his gray sweats. He looked - powerful - commanding.

She had to look away as she felt the heat unfurl low in her belly.

Max was still an enigma to her. So authoritative and intimidating at times, so boyish and unsure at others.

He was a puzzle Liz would love to solve. She wanted to peel his layers away - savoring each one till she reached the prize she was sure lay beneath - the treasure that knowing him would bring - feeling the beauty of his soul.

What about now?
What about today?
What if you're making me all that I was meant to be?
What if our love never went away?
What if its lost behind words we could never find?
Baby before its too late,
What about now?

Max pulled into the drive of a simple white ranch on a quiet tree-lined street moments later.

Having lived in LA her entire life, Liz instinctively asked, "Aren't the owners going to be annoyed that someone is parked in their driveway?"

"I'm acquainted with the owners - they won't mind." Max answered.

Just then, a dark blue Volvo pulled up behind them, and Liz saw an attractive blond woman, who looked to be in her fifties, get out and smile at Max.

"Hi Max," she said, "How are you honey?"

"Hey Mom. I'm good." Max answered as he walked up to his mother with Liz a few steps behind him. When Diane Evans opened the rear door to retrieve the groceries she had purchased, she was pleasantly surprised when Max took the bag from her hand, and then went on to grab the other three that remained.

Max had always been a good boy - quiet, always doing well in school, never one to get into trouble. But he had never been what she considered a helpful young man. He was not considerate - often giving no thought to the feelings and needs of those around him - including those of his parents and sister. So his help, without being asked, was a new and very nice change indeed.

As they turned to walk into the house, Diane noticed the pretty dark haired girl standing on her driveway.

"Mom, this is Liz Parker. She is…was a patient of mine. Liz, this is my mom, Diane Evans."

"Nice to meet you Mrs. Evans." Liz said with a smile.

"Likewise Liz." Diane returned.

As the three walked into the house, Diane said, "Isabel said you've taken some time off from the hospital?"

"Yeah," Max answered as he placed the bags on the kitchen counter. "I just needed some time - away. Plus, I'm trying to help Tess get the wedding together."

"I see - does that mean you two have set an actual date?"

Max scratched behind his ear, "Not exactly - but we're looking into it. Now that I have more time." He explained quickly.

"Well, I have to say honey - you look wonderful - so rested." And to Diane, Max did look wonderful - happy, relaxed - much different from the tense, pre-occupied man she always pictured when she thought of her son.

If this was how some time away from the hospital affected him, she'd be quite content if he never went back.

"Would you like something to drink?" Diane asked Liz, who stood in the kitchen doorway looking at a picture on the wall in the foyer.

It was a picture of Max, looking to be around eight, and a tall girl with long blond hair - who she assumed was Isabel. They were sitting on a log at a campground - Isabel wearing a huge toothy smile, her arm flung around Max's shoulders. While Max looked seriously at the camera, no hint of a smile to be found. He didn't look angry or sad, just - disinterested.

"No thank you. We were just going to go for a run - maybe afterwards." Liz replied.

"Yeah - we should go." Max said.

"Alright," Diane started, slightly disappointed that they were leaving so soon. "Well, call me during the week. Since you're at home, I'd like to have everyone over for dinner."

"Sure Mom," Max answered, and then without a thought, leaned over and kissed his mother on the cheek. "Bye." And then Max and Liz walked out the front door.

Stunned, Diane put her hand to her cheek. Max had not been an affectionate child. He had tolerated her endless hugs and kisses, but never had he initiated the action in return.

She glanced out the window and saw Max and Liz walk down the drive, talking and smiling. She wondered briefly, seeing the lively spark in her son's eyes, if the tiny brunette had had a part in the change she had seen today in Max.

It wasn't that she didn't like Tess. On the contrary, she thought the quiet girl was quite sweet - if a little shy. But then, Max had always been reserved as well so their personalities did seem to match. Diane had been concerned when they'd gotten engaged - simply for the fact that Max had never dated anyone else.

In fact, except for Michael Guerin, Max hadn't developed any other social relationships. As his mother, she had wanted him to meet more people, more women, just for the experience of doing so, before settling down to a life long commitment. But she had only voiced her concerns to her husband, not wanting to alienate her son, or make him think she was questioning his life choices.

Whether it was his new found friendship with Liz Parker, or his much needed time away from his job, Diane Evans said a short prayer of thanks that her son was obviously happier - more content - then he had ever been in his entire life.

Liz and Max jogged the two mile distance to the park silently. They walked to a picnic table to catch their breath, Liz holding the table for balance as she stretched her hamstring. Max sat on the bench, his breathing even, watching her.

Done with her stretching, Liz sat on top of the table adjacent to Max, while he remained below her on the bench, both enjoying the comfortable silence and the mild afternoon weather.

Liz broke the silence when she commented, "Your mom seems nice."

"She is." Max answered earnestly.

"I saw a few pictures of you and Isabel in the foyer - you were so cute."

Max chuckled, "Thanks."

"I keep trying to picture you as a little boy. I bet you were a sweetie." Liz said with a smile.

"I don't think that's the word my mother would use, exactly." Max replied somberly, looking in the distance at a group of children on the jungle gym.

Hearing the seriousness in his tone, Liz asked, "Why do you say that?"

Max shrugged, not wanting to make a big deal of his recent internal revelations, "I've just been thinking, a lot actually, since that night at the motel. About me and how I've treated people - the people closest to me. I just…I could have been better. I guess, I'm just not a good person Liz - is what I've been thinking."

Not understanding his line of thought, Liz offered, "Your mother obviously adores you. Isabel, Michael, Tess, they all…look to you - listen to you. They respect you. Why would you think you weren't… good?" She tilted her head to the side and added, "I do."

Still not looking at her, he said, "You wouldn't…if you knew…what I was like. Some of the things I've said…some of the things I've done."

"Like what?"

"I don't want to talk about it. Forget it." Max said decisively and stood up.

"No, wait. I don't want to forget it. Make me understand." When he said nothing, Liz continued, suddenly determined to get him to open up to her. "I'm here Max. I'm not going to run away - whatever you say. And the whole point to this…is for me to know you - trust you. I can't do that if you don't let me in on what you're thinking."

Watching the children play, Max began quietly, listing his sins, building his argument for why he was not a good man, maybe even an evil one. "My parents found us when we were six. They loved us, raised us like we were their own. I've never once thanked them for that, never told them…that I love them. Isabel did - all the time. It was easy for her…for some reason. But I just couldn't, no matter how many times they said it to me. And I saw how sad that made them. I saw it and I just didn't…care."

Liz opened her mouth to speak, to tell him that children who'd suffered trauma at a young age are often detached - unable to bond. But she kept silent as he went on, sensing that he needed to get this out - to purge the guilt that had apparently been eating at him for the last few days.

"And Michael. When we were ten, we found out his foster father was beating him." Liz flinched at this declaration, but he went on, "And I didn't do anything. I didn't help him - I didn't even tell him to run away. I made him just stay and take it, like…like a human punching bag. And he was just a little kid."

Liz could see the tears in Max's eyes, reflecting in the sunlight, and she said, "So were you Max. You were just a child too. What could you have done?"

"I was the leader. It was my job to protect him - them - even then. I could have done something. I should have at least tried." He was silent for a moment, and then the confession continued, " When we graduated from high school, Isabel wanted to go away to school - to the east coast. She had the grades, had lists of activities - she could have gone anywhere she wanted. But I wouldn't let her. When she got mad, I told her I'd tell our parents she'd cheated. She knew I could make it look like she had. I told her I'd drag her back if she tried to leave."

"You were just trying to keep her safe." Liz cut in, trying to defend him. "You didn't know what dangers were out there for her. You knew it was important for you all to stay together - and you were right. Kal said you thought the world ended because Tess, in that other time line, left. Who knows what could have happened if Isabel wasn't here?"

Max gave a small bitter laugh at the mention of Tess's name. "Tess? I have no idea why she hasn't left in this time line too. I can't tell you how many times I've hurt her, made her cry. I've never done anything for her - ever - that a man is supposed to do for the woman he's supposed to marry. I've just let her be there. Half the time, I was out right mean to her, and I never gave it a second thought, until…until the other night."

"None of that matters, Max. I still think you are a good man." Liz insisted.

"Then you're a fool." Max uttered quietly. He sat back down on the bench below Liz and asked, "How can you? After everything I just told you - and trust me, that's just the tip of it. How can you still think that?"

"Because I saw you. Last night, at the motel, when we tried to connect, I saw you Max…I felt what you felt. And you were so scared, and so lonely."

Max put his elbows on his knees and his forehead in his hands, "That doesn't excuse it Liz. It doesn't make it right."

"Listen to me, Max. History is filled with great men who did amazing things for the world, who were terrible sons, and fathers and husbands. That doesn't mean they weren't good men. It means they were human."

"Is that what you think?" Max asked, finally bringing himself to look at her, wanting to find comfort in her eyes, though he knew he didn't deserve it.

Liz looked him in the eyes, and gently pushed the hair off his forehead, and she said, "I think that you were a little boy, terrified of ever letting anyone in - scared of making a mistake. I think that an unimaginable responsibility was put on your shoulders before you were even a young man. And I think you did the best you could. And everyone's still here, Max. Everyone you care for is safe, and have good lives. And if you made mistakes? At least you feel bad about them, wish you could change them. You've learned from them. You'll do things differently now, you'll be kinder, more giving - for all of them. And that, Max, that is what makes you a good man."

And he believed her. Maybe it was because she was human. Maybe it was because she was still fairly new to the situation, so he trusted her to be objective. Maybe it was just because she was Liz.

Whatever the reason, it didn't matter - he heard the truth in her words. And as she touched his face, and looked in his eyes, Max found more than understanding. He found absolution.
trulov
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Falling Dominoes (CCw/UC Adult) 10/12 Part 29 pg20

Post by trulov »

Hey guys - sorry I've been gone so long.

My nieces and nephews are staying with us this week. That makes a total of seven children in my house - its crazy!

ANyway, they are all now in school, so I have just a few minutes to post. The next part probably won't come till this weekend. THanks to everyone for reading and posting your comments. I sooo appreciate it!

Chapter 30

Two hours after their discussion in the park, Max and Liz pulled back into the parking lot of the motel to find Maria Deluca looking every bit the diva, lounging on the hood of her car basking in the afternoon sun, wearing large white rimmed sunglasses.

They pulled up next to her and exited the car to her comment, "Well hello Gidget and Moondoggie!" Referring to their matching outfits, she said, "Don't you two just look too adorable!"

"Hey Maria." Liz greeted with a smile.

"Hi Maria." Max said.

"Max Evans," Maria greeted, looking him up and down. "Long time no see. How are you this fine day?"

"I'm good. How are things with you?" Max asked.

"Weird." Maria replied.

"I bet." Max said sympathetically.

"But I'm glad you're here! I had an epiphany last night." Maria announced.

"This should be good," Liz whispered to Max.

"I was thinking - about your little plan, about you and Liz getting to know each other. And I realized there is no better way to know a man, then to get to know his friends. You learn a lot about a guy when you see who he hangs out with." Maria explained, hopping off her car, "So, I was thinking we should plan a little get together for your gang and our gang. Tonight."

"My gang?" Max asked.

"Yes. You, Isabel and Michael should go out with Liz, Alex and I."

"And Tess." Liz added.

"Oh - right. Tess too." Maria agreed, looking at Max.

"I don't think that's such a good…" Max started, only to be cut off by Maria.

"Come on Max. Trust me. I know men, and I'm telling you this is the best way for you and Liz to really get acquainted. Plus, I need some serious girl time with her. So if you want to see her tonight - you're going to have to see all of us." Maria insisted.

Max thought a moment. Maybe Maria was right. The whole friendship thing was still so new for him. Also, with others present, Max would be better able to keep his actions in check. Being chaperoned would ensure his inability to act on his attraction for Liz.

"Okay," He agreed. "As long as it's alright with Liz."

"Sounds good to me." Liz offered, "But what are we going to do?"

"I was thinking of something fun - easy. We could start the night off with a good game of putt-putt." Maria said, having it all planned out in her head.

"Ohh, I love miniature golf!" Liz exclaimed.

"Good. It's settled then. You make the calls Max - though I think Alex will talk to Isabel himself. Shall we say - seven thirty?" Maria asked.

Why would Alex Whitman be calling his sister? Max wondered and then said, "Yeah, seven-thirty is good."

"Fabulous!" Maria clapped her hands, and then dragged Liz by the arm to the suite door, "Bye Max!"

Liz turned and waved to Max with an apologetic look.

Max smirked, waved back and then got in his car and drove away.

Once inside the suite, with Kal no where to be seen, Liz asked, "You want to tell me what this is really all about?"

"Like I said, last night I had an epiphany. I want Michael Guerin."

After Isabel and Michael had left her house, Maria's thoughts had turned to Alex and how for so many years he had pined for Isabel Evans, never suspecting that his feelings could be reciprocated.

And then she realized she had been doing the very same thing regarding Michael. Not that she had lived the life of a nun, waiting for him. But the idea of him had always been on the edge of her mind. She saw how every man she dated, whether it was the hair, the eyes, or the attitude, each of them possessed a shadow of Michael. He was for her, the pinnacle - her ultimate fantasy.

And now that she knew his secret, she had an in - a way to finally get close to him. Why waste the opportunity for fear of rejection? Maria was not one to cower in the face of a challenge - she attacked. And Michael was certainly a challenge, but one she was sure she could conquer.

Liz's eyes grew wide as saucers, "You do?"

Maria nodded, "I've wanted him for as long as I can remember - well, since I hit puberty anyway. And last night I started thinking, there's no guarantees - you know? I mean, you got shot - you could have died. We're leaving in a few weeks for LA - I may never see him again after that. Then, of course, there's the whole aliens are among us thing, and who knows what that could mean for the future of…well, the world. I guess it just hit home - life is short - and you only get one."

Liz raised her eyebrows at Maria.

"Well - okay - you got two. But me - normal people - we only get one chance. And I've wanted Michael Guerin for so long, I just figured, why wait? Why sit and do nothing and hope that maybe one day, he'll come to me? 'Cause I know that will never happen. So - I'm going to go to him. I'll make him see how good - how hot - we could be together. And if it never goes any further than one night? At least I'll have that - that for one night, he was mine."

"But Michael?" Liz questioned, not understanding her friend's attraction, "I'm just surprised. Don't you think he's…I don't know…angry?"

"He's not angry, Liz - he's intense. He's deep. He's wound tighter then one of Alex's guitar strings, and I for one want to be there when he pops." Maria shivered at the thought, "All that pent up emotion - frustration. God - he's so frigging hot!"

Liz smiled at Maria's fervor and shrugged, "If you say so. To each their own, I guess."

"Besides," Maria remarked, "You want to talk about anger? You should have seen your little Maxie in high school. He gave new meaning to the word brooding."

Liz tilted her head to the side and said, "He's not my Max, Maria."

"Right. Like I said Liz, I know men. And I'll admit I've never known Max very well, but I saw the way he looked at you. Not exactly the way a man with a girlfriend should be looking at another woman."

"Fiancé, Maria. They're getting married. They were married before - they belong together." Liz forced the words out, though deep down, she didn't want to believe them herself.

"Pfft. Anyone can get married. But not everyone can have passion. When he looked at you - just now? That's what I saw. He couldn't keep his eyes off of you."

"You're crazy, you know that?"

"Whatever. Be in denial – it's your right." Maria dismissed the subject with her hand, "Now let's go get beautified! We only have, like, four and a half hours to get ready. Let's go find Kal and have him poof us some clothes! I'm going for a look that will leave Michael Guerin speechless."

Liz laughed as the two walked to her room. She was excited about tonight. Even though she knew she should be nervous, she couldn't help but get caught up in Maria's exuberance. If she tried, she could almost imagine it was all normal. That she and her friend were getting ready for a simple double date.

And she did just that. As Liz hopped in the shower, while Maria was discussing their outfits with Kal, she closed her eyes and let herself pretend.

Song - You Shook Me All Night Long - by AC/DC

She was a fast machine
She kept her motor clean
She was the best damn woman
That I'd ever seen
She had the sightless eyes
Telling me no lies
Knocking me out
With those American thighs

Isabel, Tess, Michael, and Max looked at the three humans in their group, who were at that moment singing and dancing in place to the song blaring from the overhead speakers, as if they were the aliens.

Taking more then her share
Had me fighting for air
She told me to come
But I was already there
Cause the walls start shaking
The earth was quaking
My mind was aching
And we were making it and you -

Shook me all night long

It was nine o'clock and they were at the seventh hole out of fifteen. The miniature golf shop was busy - filled mostly with teenagers - as it was Friday night, and Roswell being…well Roswell, there weren't many alternatives for entertainment.

Isabel smiled as Alex imitated playing guitar to the song with his golf club. Not an easy task, with one arm still in a cast to his elbow. When he had called her that afternoon to ask if she wanted to join them for the night, she had been thrilled. He hadn't been far from her thoughts after her conversation with Maria, when she had discovered the actual depth of his feelings for her.

As delighted as she had been at the prospect that Alex's attraction to her could be more, she was also conflicted. Was it a mistake to start something with him when they were conceivably closer to returning to their planet than ever before? Could she, in good conscience, begin a real relationship with him when he didn't know she wasn't human? She'd done the same with other men - but Alex - Alex was different. And then, if she ever did get the courage to tell him, would it change his feelings for her?

These were just a few of the questions that had been cycling in her mind - and there were no ready answers. So Isabel decided to do what she had always done - pretty much nothing. She would continue her friendship with Alex - and leave it at that. Through friendship, she could enjoy his company and not risk his rejection. It was the safest course - in every way - for both of them.

And then her eyes and thoughts turned to Maria Deluca, who was currently gyrating her hips suggestively and flinging her hair back and forth in time with the music. If someone had told her just a few days earlier that she would one day soon consider the quirky girl a good friend, she would have thought them delusional. But Maria had become just that. Isabel had been so wrong in her initial opinion of her.

All of her life Isabel had had girlfriends. She'd lived the life of a normal popular teenager, complete with parties, dances and sleepovers. But the truth was, it had all been a façade. Never had she considered telling even the best of her friends the truth.

But Maria knew - and didn't care in the least. It was refreshing and freeing to have a human friend that she didn't have to hide from. She'd even gone as far as to change the color of Maria's nail polish when they'd first arrived to match her turquoise top.

Maria had then christened Isabel her very own personal stylist, and asked if she could change the color of her hair tomorrow. Yes, Isabel was now glad that Maria had found out about them, and she knew deep down, as Liz had insisted, that the fun blond was indeed trustworthy.

And speaking of Liz - Isabel was intrigued to finally meet the woman who had captivated all of their attention the last few weeks. She was not really what Isabel had expected of an LA semi-socialite who had unknowingly been raised by a shape-shifter.

In the hour that she had known Liz, Isabel concluded that she was outgoing, sweet and charming. She was someone that Isabel wanted to get to know better, her instincts telling her that Liz was good and would have a beneficial effect on all of them.

In fact, she already had, Isabel concluded as her eyes turned to the relaxed countenance of her brother. She'd never seen Max so…happy…so accessible, and she was elated by the change.

Her mother had called her just that afternoon raving about how great Max looked, how good the time off from the stress of the hospital was for him. But Isabel knew the real cause of the changes in her brother - his growing friendship with Liz Parker. And for that, she was thankful.

As observant as Isabel was, she'd missed the sucker-punched expression on her brother's face when Liz stepped out of Maria's car.

He'd thought her nothing short of breathtaking - in her low slung jeans, and tight red sweater - her hair gently curled to frame her face. If Isabel had seen his expression, she may have felt quite differently about Liz Parker.

But Isabel, in spite of knowing the pair's history in another lifetime, couldn't imagine her brother - this Max - falling in love with a human girl. The thought had never occurred to her. Max was dedicated to their cause - their planet. He was promised to Tess, had been with her for years, and Max was a man of his word.

For Isabel those facts were constants - unchangeable - as sure as the sun would rise in the morning. So she logically assumed that the changes in Max were due to Liz's fun loving personality - her humanness - rubbing off on him.

But, if she had seen that look on his face - if she had seen the way Max had continued to look at Liz, adoringly but with lust in his eyes, a whole alternate set of variables would have occurred to her - and she may not look at Liz's as a presence in his life as such a good thing anymore.

But she hadn't, and so she saw Liz Parker as nothing short of a miracle worker - who had given her the brother she'd always wanted - the one she always knew he could be.

Tess, however, had seen the look on her fiancé's face and with growing apprehension, continued to closely observe the way he looked at the other woman - in a manner she had never seen when he was looking at her.

When Max had presented the idea of a group night out, she had looked at it as an opportunity to quell her insecurities, to confirm that Max's time with the human girl was seen as a simple necessity on his part. A means to an end, as he would have put it - but not necessarily an experience he took pleasure in.

But the more she watched the two together, the deeper the dread in the pit of her stomach burrowed. It was becoming increasingly obvious that the human woman was more than just a project to Max - much more. He couldn't keep his eyes off of her and in his gaze Tess could see how much Max cared for Liz, and enjoyed being around her - that his face literally lit up when he spoke to her.

Tess would have had to be deaf and blind not to notice the changes in Max's behavior in the last few days. He was kinder, more considerate, and not just to her but to everyone around him. She had hoped those changes were because of her. She had held on to the idea that his feelings for her, something he had never hidden, were becoming something derived from more than just duty and obligation.

But like a bucket of ice water, Tess realized the changes were caused by Liz Parker - the time he was spending with her - and the feelings he had for her - that Tess knew he didn't even realize he was projecting as loud as a bull horn.

Gripping the golf club tightly in panic, Tess began to imagine what her life would be like without Max. She would truly be alone.

She couldn't lose him, she decided - she couldn't allow him to lose focus of their goals that they had spent a lifetime working towards. No, she had given him too much, had given up too much, for him to slip away now and leave her with nothing.

Oblivious to the thoughts swirling in the two female aliens' heads, Max picked up the golf ball from the cup and handed it to Liz as the song came to an end, and the game resumed. "Hole in one - nice shot." He complimented.

Liz smiled, "Kal had a little golf course built for me in our backyard when I was little. I used to play on it a lot. I'm very competitive."

"Well, in light of this new information, I think we should renegotiate the rules," Then he whispered, "Powers allowed."

"So sorry," Liz teased in a hushed voice, "Alex is here. Too bad for you."

"What about that quarters game - did you grow up practicing that too? Is that how you beat me so easily?" Max asked, looking up to make sure the others couldn't hear him.

"No," Liz responded, "I beat you because you suck at it."

"Oh - now my pride's been challenged. I demand a rematch." Max joked.

"Maybe tomorrow night." Liz replied, and couldn't help the heat that suffused her face when she thought of that night, by the lake - when she thought of how another drunken night could end for her and Max.

Tess frowned a few feet away when she saw Max and Liz whispering together - wondering what they were talking about that had Liz blushing and Max smiling.

Then, as Michael missed the hole on his sixth stroke, he yelled, "Shit - can we go do something else? This reeks."

"Stop being a baby," Maria remarked, suddenly beside him. And then, she nudged her own ball into the cup with the tip of her shoe.

As she bent to retrieve it, Michael accused, "You can't do that. That's cheating."

Maria met his eyes and said, "What are you going to do about it? Punish me? Spank me with a golf club?"

Michael's brow wrinkled in thought. Was she coming on to him?

Trying to be insulting he threw back, "I should have known you'd be into the kinky stuff."

Not insulted at all, Maria's smile widened as she brushed past Michael closely, her breasts rubbing his chest, though there was ample room behind her, while she said seductively, "You have no idea. But maybe, if you're very, very good, I'll show you exactly what I'm into."

And she walked past him swaying her hips.

Michael swallowed hard. His lips suddenly dry, his mind awhirl with images her statement invoked.

When Maria looked back over her shoulder and their eyes met through her long dark lashes, Michael knew he was in deep, deep trouble.

trulov
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Falling Dominoes (CCw/UC Adult) 10/20 Part 30 pg21

Post by trulov »

Hey guys - so glad you liked the last part. Sorry I haven't posted as often - I've been busy trying to get the rest of this written.

nitpick23 - Apparently it won't take too much to push Michael over the edge - as you will see. You might be
surprised by Max's reaction to the next part - he is a'changin'!

roswell4life - thank you - i'm a bit worried about Tess myself

Natalie36 - maria is awesome - and she gets better from here!

Alien-Friend - THANK YOU - I'm so glad you liked Max and Liz together - also, in regards to Tess - a scorned woman can be a scary thing - but its Max we're talking about - can anyone really blame her?

Timelord31 - Thank you. More trouble is heading their way soon

garcia88 - thank you, i'm thrilled that you liked that part - Max and Liz are sweet aren't they - too bad they are obvious too. Anyway - here's your wish - Tess' reaction.

Thanks again to everyone for reading!

Chapter 31

The bar was crowded. The group of seven had been lucky to squeeze two tables together and find enough chairs to hold them all. It had been Alex's idea to come here after their game. It was open mic. night, and he thought Maria would enjoy the practice. They sat and talked amicably, the humans sipping their cold beers, the aliens of the group sticking to soda.

While Max was lost in a discussion with Liz, about which, Tess couldn't hear, she left the table to go to the bar and refill her drink. While waiting, she heard a familiar voice to her left say,

"Wow! Look who's out of the house."

She turned and met the sparkling blue eyes of Kyle Valenti. Tess couldn't help but return his smile and say, "Shocking - I know."

"I saw you all come in," He commented. "I didn't know you were acquainted with Liz Parker."

"She's friends with your step-sister actually." Tess explained, "And Maria's close with Alex, as you know, whose friends with Isabel - and well - here we all are."

"She seems to have healed up from that gunshot rather quickly." Kyle observed, the policeman in him always noticing the unusual - the details in life that at times didn't quite fit.

"Her injury was more superficial than we first thought." Tess explained quickly, the lies coming easy to her after a lifetime of practice. Kyle nodded his head and Tess added, "Plus, you know, Max is an amazing surgeon."

"Yeah," Kyle responded dryly, "He's just super." His dislike for the man in question was unmistakable.

As Tess received her coke from the bartender, Kyle asked, "So, save a dance for me later?"

Instinctively, Tess replied, "I don't think Max would like that very much."

Both their eyes turned to Max, at the table next to Liz, as he laughed at something she'd just said.

I don't think he'd really notice, Kyle thought, but didn't say. He didn't want to hurt Tess's feelings by pointing out that her boyfriend seemed quite taken with the dark haired new comer.

Not knowing where the courage came from, Tess asked, "Are you here…alone?"

Kyle raised his glass and replied, "Sadly yes. Just got off work, so it's just me and Captain Morgan tonight."

Her mouth moved of its own volition as she asked, "Why don't you join us?"

When Kyle's face registered mild shock at the invitation from the typically introverted girl, Tess added, "You know – 'cause Isabel and Maria are right there - I'm sure they'd love to hang out with you."

Kyle pinned her with his eyes that were suddenly serious - sultry, "What about you Tess? Do you want to hang out with me?"

Lost for a moment in his gaze, Tess whispered, "I wouldn't have asked if I didn't."

Kyle smiled, "Then I'd love to."

As he rose from the stool with his drink, Kyle grabbed an empty chair and the two walked to the table together.

Tess scolded herself on the way. What was she thinking? She knew Kyle didn't like Max and the feelings were definitely mutual. Why had she invited Kyle to join them?

Because you wanted to, a tiny voice in her head told her. She liked talking to Kyle - had always wanted to talk with him more. And he was right - it wasn't like they ever went out. Who knew when she'd see him again? For the first time, she really didn't care what Max thought - if he'd be displeased. For once she'd done something she had wanted to do - and it felt pretty good.

Kyle sat down and greeted everyone at the table. When his eyes turned to Max he said stiffly, "Evans."

But Max returned his greeting with a smile and said simply, "Hey Kyle."

And then all eyes turned to Alex, as he began to tell the story of when Maria had most assuredly saved his life. They were nine, and two eighth graders had threatened to pound him into oblivion on the playground for some unknown offense.

The entire table chuckled when Alex reiterated the string of curses Maria had let loose on the two larger boys. There was no embarrassment on Alex's face - he was no longer the awkward, self conscious boy he had been in high school. He was a man - accomplished - confident - and it showed in how he recalled the events with bittersweet humor.

It was then that Max took a moment to observe the rest of the occupants at the table. Isabel sat with delight in her eyes, to Alex's left, with Maria beside her. Next to Maria was Michael, pretending to half listen to Alex's tale, while trying to keep his features uninterested.

But Max could see differently. He noticed how the ends of Michael's mouth would start to turn up in a smile, in particular, when Alex recounted Maria's feisty role in the tale.

At the end of the table was Kyle Valenti, who sipped his drink with a relaxed smile. It was the only time Max could recall not feeling immediately threatened by the man. When they were younger it had been because of who his father was – and later because of the job he had taken over. But in that moment, Max looked at Kyle, not as an imposing representative of the government, but as just a man.

Next to Kyle and to his own right was Tess, who was having a more enjoyable time than he could ever remember.

Completing the rectangle, at the other end of the table and to his left was Liz. She, who had been the catalyst for this night - the reason for all of them being here.

As he surveyed the group of eight, Max felt the rightness of it. He was suddenly struck by an unexplainable comfort that this was how it was supposed to be - perhaps how it always should have been. He didn't know where the feeling came from, but he accepted it.

They were all connected somehow - fated to be here together, at this time, in this moment. He was as sure of that fact as he was about any kingly destiny that awaited him. And, strangely, he found peace in it. That perhaps there was a greater plan at work - a picture - a tapestry - bigger than any of them.

He felt Liz's eyes on him, and returned her stare. When their eyes met he was once again transfixed by her beauty - she practically glowed tonight.

Biting her bottom lip, she asked, "Having fun?"

Warmly, Max said, "I am. This is…nice. Doing something…normal, for a change. With friends. It's good."

Liz nodded her head, no further words needed. She was so pleased Max was having a good time. She noted to herself how different he was from the man he had been, even just a few days ago. The one who'd been so angry about Maria finding out, the man who'd been so tense and closed off when they'd first met. She was amazed at how far he had come - how brave he was to open himself up to her, Maria, and Alex - when he had never before in his life done so. Once again, Max Evans amazed her.

Song - No one else on Earth - Wynonna Judd

A short time later, Michael Guerin was leaning on the wall, outside the men's room, waiting for his turn. He was debating if he should leave. He had not been thrilled with the idea of coming in the first place, but Max had insisted it would be good for their plan.

Since the moment the human faction of their group had arrived, Michael knew his initial instincts to stay away had been correct.

Isabel certainly seemed to be getting cozy with Whitman, but that didn't really bother him. She'd always dated, always had human friends. But he had no doubt that when the moment came, Isabel would be there, right beside them, when they stepped off the ship onto their planet.

And Max – well. Max appeared to be taking a bit too much pleasure in the plan to befriend Liz Parker. He seemed softer, distracted, and Michael planned on speaking to him about it later.

The real issue that troubled him was not Max's fascination with Liz, or Isabel's interest in Alex. No, it was his own wandering gaze that kept finding its way to one Maria Deluca. He always had a thing for her - a mild obsession - he admitted it. But he had always controlled it, never letting himself feel too much - get too close.

But now, all the walls were down - all the bets were off. And she had been coming at him all night - as if she was a starving woman and he was a damn filet mignon.

When she had put her hand on his thigh at the table, he'd jumped like he'd been scorched and fled for cover to the bathroom. If he was honest with himself, he was terrified of being near her. Afraid that if he didn't keep her at arms length, the candle of fascination he had for her would ignite into an uncontrollable inferno.

And then everything would change.

He was scared of change - of wanting other things - human - earthly things. Because if he wanted them, if he let himself have them, would he have the strength to leave them when the time came?

He just wasn't sure.

He was dragged from his thoughts by a voice - her voice, "That looks like some pretty serious thinking for a Friday night. Care to share?"

They were alone in the narrow hallway that ended at the men's lavatory. Michael averted his gaze and responded, "I'm not the sharing kind."

"No, I know. You're the quiet kind. My mom always told me to watch the quiet ones. But I don't know - your silence…kind of…draws me in. Makes me wonder what's going on in that head of yours." Maria said quietly, slowly inching closer.

"Maybe I just don't want to talk to you. Maybe I don't like you. Pushy woman don't really interest me." Michael said firmly. He didn't want to be mean - but she was making it damn hard not to be. His control was at its end, and she smelled… so fucking good.

If she took one more step, he thought, he wouldn't be able to stop himself from grabbing her, kissing her, backing her up against the wall and wrapping her legs around his waste…No - no - no - he couldn't let his thoughts go there.

Hockey - yes, he'd think about hockey - big ugly guys with broken teeth.

But Maria did not wound easily. She took that step forward, and she saw his fists clench when she did.

The thing Michael didn't get was that she understood him. She could feel how much he wanted this - wanted her. But he was nervous - afraid of getting too close. Just like her mother had been for years after her father had left.

She knew how he felt, but she could not let his fear deter her. "I'm not pushy," Maria defended, her voice velvety smooth. "I'm…determined. I know what I want, and I go after it."

Michael closed his eyes. Sweaty hockey players, he thought, without deodorant.

He sensed her move even closer. "God, you're sooo tense Michael. That must be exhausting. Don't you ever just want to give in? Just…let go." When she said the last part, she was so close. Michael could feel her warm breath on the skin of his neck.

He couldn't take it anymore - he was only human for Christ's sake - well…half human anyway. He opened his eyes, and Maria gasped at what she saw there - passion – need so powerful, her knees went weak.

Before she could blink, he grabbed her upper arms and pulled her close, fusing his mouth to hers. She moaned at the contact and moaned again when his firm tongue pillaged her mouth. She gripped his shirt at his chest so he couldn't get away as their mouths continued clashing - dueling - tasting, as they both had wanted to for so long.

Maria was in heaven, she was in ecstasy, she was… being called to the stage.

"Maria…Maria Deluca - last call for your song." A man's voice cut through the lust-filled haze that encased them, and she pulled away.

Breathing hard, she smiled at him and said calmly - sweetly, "Listen to the song Michael, it's for you."

And with that, she walked away, rounded the corner and stepped on stage. Michael followed behind, and leaned against the wall around the corner - refusing to contemplate what had just happened.

Maria smiled at the crowd and at the table where her friends sat, "This song is for a…special group of people here tonight. Well, you know who you are."

The music started, and as she sang, Michael's heart beat wildly, and warmth spread throughout his chest. He'd seen her sing a dozen times, and each time it had moved him. But this time, knowing she was singing to him…he felt the melody of her voice caress his soul.

"I've been a rock and I've got my fences
I never let them down
When it comes to love, I keep my senses
I don't get kicked around

I shivered once
You broke into my soul
The damage is done now
I'm out of control

How did you get to me?

No one else on earth
Could ever hurt me
Break my heart the way you do
No on else on earth
Was ever worth it

No one could love me like,
No one could love me like you."

Before the next verse, Alex was up out of his chair, pulling Isabel to the dance floor. He led her in a version of the jitter bug, but in time with the music. When he spun her into a twirl, Isabel laughed with surprise - impressed by what a good dancer he was.

Alex saw the look on her face and silently thanked his mother for forcing him to take lessons when he was twelve. The way Isabel was looking at him just then was worth every insult, every taunt he had endured at the time.

She was having fun, he could tell. She liked talking to him, he knew. And now she enjoyed dancing with him. Oh yes, Alex thought, the Master Plan was going well indeed.

"You could make me want you anytime you want to
You're burning me alive
I can't deny you even when I catch you
Weaving a weak alibi.

Cause when the night comes
You make me forget
Your love is killing me
And it ain't over yet

How did you get to me?

No one else on earth
Could ever hurt me

No one else on earth
Was ever worth it
No one could love me like you."

As the song continued, Liz couldn't help but look at Max, the words to the song pulling her eyes to him. But when she did, she found his heated stare already on her, the lyrics in the tune speaking to him as well - about her.

They both were fully aware of their hands on the table, just millimeters apart. Max knew he couldn't take her hand in his - no matter how much he wanted to at the moment. So he did all he could, he moved his finger slightly, so it rested next to Liz's - skin touching skin. Liz felt it when he did and she felt elctricity course through her body at his touch.

"I shivered once
You broke into my soul
The damage is done now
I'm out of control

How did you get to me?

No one else on earth
Could ever hurt me
Break my heart the way you do"

The words in the song struck a chord in Tess, and she hastened a glance at Max. She closed her eyes against the pain, as she saw he and Liz looking longingly at each other.

Tess sighed and looked down at her hands, folded in her lap. Then, she felt goose bumps on her arms and a prickling sensation in her mind. The feeling you get - when someone is looking at you.

"No one else on earth
Was ever worth it
No one could love me like…"

Tess looked up from her hands, right into the eyes of Kyle Valenti. She returned his look for a moment, and then he wiggled his eyebrows suggestively, causing her to laugh. And Kyle smiled at the sight.

"No one else on earth
Could ever hurt me

No one else on earth
Was ever worth it
No one could love me like you.

No one like you.
No one like you."

As the song came to an end, the bar burst into applause. After a hug from Liz and a good job from Alex, Maria went in search of Michael, eager to resume where they had left off.

She shook her head in disappointment, however, when she spotted his retreating form walking out the front door of the bar.

Later, while everyone was seated again at the tables, chatting and joking, Liz excused herself to go to the ladies room. She looked at herself in the mirror, a blush of excitement staining her cheeks. She was really having fun, though she'd noticed Maria had been unusually quiet since Michael's departure.

As Liz applied a fresh coat of lip gloss, Tess walked in the bathroom. Standing next to Liz she gave her a small smile and proceeded to adjust her hair. When she was done, before Liz could leave, Tess said, "Liz? Could we…talk for a second?"

"Sure, Tess. What's up?" Liz replied curiously.

Tess cleared her throat, avoided eye contact and said, "It's about Max. I'm a bit… concerned."

Liz rushed out quickly - mostly out of a growing sense of guilt, "Tess, there's nothing going on between Max and I."

Tess's eyes met hers in shock, a look of surprise carefully placed on her face, and she said calmly, "Of course there isn't. I know that," she said, kindly, "I just wanted to make sure you knew that."

"I'm sorry?"

"Liz," Tess explained, "Max is a wonderful…actor. He's had to do it his whole life - to pretend. Even his parents, the people who raised him, have no idea who he really is." She paused to let that sink in, and then continued, "Now, I know you know the situation, the reason Max is spending so much time with you. It's really not his choice – it's what he has to do - for the good of us all."

"I know that." Liz replied, suddenly thinking she was not going to like where this conversation ended.

"Well, like I said, Max is a good pretender. The more you know him, the more he becomes your friend, the easier and quicker it will be for him to access the scion. And that's his purpose Liz - the scion - nothing more."

"I'm aware of that." Liz responded stiffly.

"Are you? Because I have to be honest," Tess said, and looked at her sympathetically, "You seem awfully…involved…in Max - in his friendship. You seem to enjoy his company - his attention - very much. Maybe too much? I just don't want to see you get your feelings hurt, because you're thinking this could grow into something… more."

"I don't think that." Liz whispered.

"It looks like you do. That's what I'm trying to tell you. I know this is a difficult situation for you, but what I'm trying to say is…it's obvious, that you have feelings for Max."

When Liz opened her mouth to argue, Tess cut her off, and held up her hand.

"And Max would never want to hurt your feelings, or push you away by bringing it up. He most likely would just play along - for the good of the group - again. But, from one girl to another, I can't let you embarrass yourself by chasing after him, like you are." Tess said with concern.

"I wasn't aware I was chasing him." Liz said, starting to get angry.

"I know - I know. Which is why I wanted to say something to you, privately."

"And this wouldn't have anything to do with you, would it? Maybe you're uncomfortable with the time Max and I are spending together?" Liz asked.

Tess smiled, "Of course not. Max asked me just the other day if I was comfortable with everything - and of course - I am. I've known him for a long time Liz, I have no doubt whatsoever of his commitment to me. I just…you seem like a nice person." Tess said, and this time she was sincere. "But, it's important for you to remember, that if it wasn't for the scion, Max wouldn't even give you a second glance - he wouldn't want anything to do with you. And I know - how bitchy that sounds…but it doesn't make it any less true."

Tess took no pleasure from the pain that flashed across Liz's face. But, if her words hurt the other girl, it only proved that they were true - and that was something Tess could simply not allow.

Nasedo had taught her well about manipulation and weakness. She knew most women were inherently insecure when it came to men - she knew her carefully chosen words would be enough to stop Liz from pursuing Max - that she wouldn't want to risk humiliating herself.

"I get it. I understand." Liz said and turned away from Tess.

Tess nodded and turned to leave. It was for her own good, she told herself. The harsh truth was, Max would never choose anything over the Granolith - over their home - especially not some human girl he'd just met.

If she had allowed Liz's hopes to continue, she would have only been hurt and disappointed in the end.

Just like she had been, herself, almost her entire life.

No, it was better this way. This was best for all of them, Tess told herself, refusing to acknowledge the guilt or jealousy that still coursed through her veins, as she made her way back to Max.

Song - I'm not that girl - Musical Wicked Soundtrack

After Tess’ exit, Liz stared at her reflection in the mirror, silently seething at what the blond had implied. Chasing him? She’d never had to chase a man in her life!

As she left the bathroom, prepared to show Tess exactly what chasing a man looked like, her thoughts continued to rage. She was Liz Parker, goddamn it. She’d been propositioned by half of Hollywood. She was an executive at the top production company in the country. She was educated. She was strong and beautiful.

She was…an idiot.

The last thought hit her as she watched Tess approach Max at the bar. She watched her put her arms around his waist, hugging him intimately from behind. She saw him turn and look at her.

She missed the look of surprise on his face, and from her angle his smile looked anything but forced, though it was.

As she continued to watch Tess whisper something to Max, and his smile stretch even bigger, Liz’s breathing constricted.

Hands touch, eyes meet
Sudden silence, sudden heat
Hearts leap in a giddy whirl
He could be that boy
But I’m not that girl.

She backed back up into the bathroom, and observed herself in the mirror again, this time through tear filled eyes.

She looked at her sweater, the color of which she’d had Kal change three times till it was just right - just right to catch his attention. She saw the curl in her hair, that she had painstakingly created - with thoughts of him in her mind - hoping he would like it. She observed her makeup, now ruined, that she had applied wanting to look natural, but sexy - all for Max.

She had let herself imagine that this was all normal. That he was just a normal man, and she a simple woman. She had let herself dream - let herself forget his fiancé, his motivations - his destiny that did not include her. She had overlooked everything that was so not normal about the situation - and saw only him.

Don’t dream too far
Don’t lose sight of who you are
Don’t remember that rush of joy
He could be that boy
I’m not that girl

She was a fool.

If it wasn’t for the scion, Max wouldn’t even give you a second glance - he wouldn‘t want anything to do with you.

He will do anything - hurt anyone to protect his secret and get home.

The words, the warnings echoed in her head, and she cursed herself - her feelings. She didn’t want to be his friend - from the moment she’d met him, she‘d wanted more. And she had let herself pretend he felt the same.

But she had been wrong. It had always been about the scion. She had read into his actions, his expressions and let herself get swept up in the fantasy, let herself hope that he, that they, could be more.

God she was so stupid.

What could she give him? What could she, Liz Parker do for him? He was going to be a King - of another planet - one she really knew nothing about. He needed someone beside him…who was like him. Someone who could help him with the responsibilities he was sure to face, who was his equal - his partner. Not a music producer with a horrendous romantic history.

She only knew him as a man, but the truth was, he was part of a whole other world, that she just didn’t belong in.

It - they - could never be.

Every so often we long to steal
To the land of what-might-have-been
But that doesn’t soften the ache we feel
When reality sets back in

Humiliation heated her face as she thought about what Tess had said.

From one girl to another, I can’t let you embarrass yourself by chasing after him, like you are.

What must Max think of her? What must all of them think? If Tess had noticed her infatuation with Max, surely Isabel and Michael, and probably Kal had as well.

She must look so - pathetic.

And Max had probably been too uncomfortable to talk to her about it - afraid she’d leave. And he did need her afterall - because of the thing in her head.

Blithe smile, lithe limb
She who’s winsome, she wins him
Gold hair with a gentle curl
That’s the girl he chose
And heaven knows
I’m not that girl.

Tess was who he needed - who he wanted - who he had chosen to spend his life with.

Liz didn’t think about what she had seen from Max, the night they were drunk. She couldn’t recall the attraction, feelings she had seen from him, for her, that night. The wall of embarrassement was too high - the other woman’s words too fresh in her mind.

She wiped the tears from her face. She couldn’t go back out there. She needed time, alone, to pull herself together. Then, maybe tomorrow, she could face Max again.

Liz left the bathroom and slipped out the side door, pulling out her cell phone as she did. She wouldn’t be reckless this time - wouldn’t put herself in danger. She’d call Kal and have him pick her up. Then she’d call Maria and make her excuses so none of them would worry.

Don’t wish, don’t start
Wishing only wounds the heart
I wasn’t born for the rose and the pearl
There’s a girl I know
He loves her so.
I’m not that girl.
trulov
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Falling Dominoes (CCw/UC Adult) 10/24 Part 31 pg22

Post by trulov »

Timelord31 - afraid not - it was actually Tess.
nibbles2 - if i was engaged to a man like max i know i'd do everything i could to keep him
natalie36 - yeah, tess words were like a scalpal, cutting in all the right places, but she didn't really say anything that wasn't true. But the way she said it was meant to make liz feel ashamed, unwanted. Kal and Max's reactions will be in the part following this one.
katydid - tess definately needs to get more of a life - that's the problem - for her, all there is is Max so the idea of losing him makes her desperate. The reason she didn't go to Max is b/c he has told her at other times that she is too emotional, too needy - she didn't want to annoy him by appearing that way even more.
nitpick23 - i think a part of tess - a small part - did talk to liz out of girlish loyalty and concern. she's been let down and hurt by max her whole life - why subject this innocent girl to the same? the other part, the words that were said to embarrass her, make her feel unwanted, were said to push her away from max, for tess to protect her claim. it really wasn't evil though, hurtful - yes --- but very human, not sure i know many others who would have done less.
roswell4life - it will all play out eventually, but not quickly, though i will try and update as soon as i can. tess may seem more sympathetic in the part following this. thanks sooo much.
Alien-Friend - i'm so glad you liked the song. i love maria and michael, but michael always seemed like such a tortured soul - i find myself wanting him to just give in - so he can know what its like to be loved and cared for. and maria has always been a wild hoot for me. and yes, i thought tess was pretty devious - careful not to out right threaten or say anything that really wasn't true! Thanks so much
kay-b - max and tess talk in the part after this --- or the part after that one - i'm not sure. but we will definatly see a shadow of the old mean max - at least for a little bit.
garcia88 - if max is anything he is stubborn and he will surely notice a change in liz.

Thanks to you all for continuing to read this, and always a big thanks to Wench on a Leash, my beta, for getting these parts back to me almost as soon as i'm done typing them!

Chapter 32

After the fourth ring, Kal's voicemail picked up, and Liz closed the phone without leaving a message.

Where was he? She thought as she walked down the darkened street to the corner. She saw people, down the far end of the street but still nearby, and took comfort in the fact that she was not completely alone. She tried Kal again, with still no answer. She wrapped her arms around herself as the temperature had dropped considerably since they'd arrived.

Liz looked at the path that would take her back to the front of the bar, debating what to do. Attempting to walk to the motel was not even a consideration. She grudgingly acknowledged that standing out on the street was not the most intelligent option either.

She sighed and tried to compose herself.

Liz new she was being childish - letting her embarrassment override her better judgment. She should go back. She could continue calling Kal from inside the bar, or maybe Maria would want to leave now.

Before she could take a step, a voice from her left startled her.

"Yo, got the time?"

Liz turned, startled by the man's voice. She hadn't seen him there, almost right next to her. He wore jeans and a black hoody sweatshirt. The hood was up, concealing his features completely.

The hair on the back of her neck stood up, as she realized that the few people who had been on the street just a moment before were now gone. Trying to convince herself that she was just being paranoid, she checked her watch and answered, "Eleven-thirty."

There was no response from the shadowed man.

Anxiety crackled on Liz's skin as she looked at him. Where his face should have been was completely shrouded in black - like the ghost of Christmas Future in the play, "A Christmas Carol."

She made the move, again, to leave when he spoke, "What'cha doin' out here all lonesome? Town's Mayberry, but still, ya should be careful."

Liz swallowed nervously and stepped back as the stranger took a step forward. "My ride is coming any minute - I'm meeting him out here."

"Your man?" The faceless man asked.

"That's right." Liz answered, trying not to sound as frightened as she was.

He wasn't a skin, she thought. If he was, he would have made his move by now, not wasted an opportunity to grab her with conversation.

But still, something was…off... about him, and it scared her to the core.

"Funny ya' say that, cause I jus'…"

"Is there a problem here?" This question was posed accusingly by an average sized middle aged man, who walked briskly towards them from the direction of the main street.

"No problem. Me and the girl's jus' chillin'" The cloaked figure responded.

"The lady does not seem to want company. I suggest you be on your way before there is a problem." The veiled threat seemed ludicrous to Liz, as the older man didn't appear in shape enough to physically back up his words.

But miraculously, the hooded figure began to retreat, as he said, "Easy old man, don't get ya panties twisted. I'm out." And then he rounded the corner and was gone.

Liz's eyes turned to the newcomer who had apparently rescued her from an increasingly uncomfortable situation. But when she did, she was in no way relieved.

His eyes reminded her of an insect's - analytical, cold, soulless.

"I don't believe we've been introduced." He said politely, "I am Nasedo."

Kal had not told her much about the other shape shifter, but what he had told her had not been good. He'd said Nasedo was completely alien, and looked at the human race as just one step above a colony of ants.

Liz took a moment to observe him - and immediately concluded that he was nothing like Kal. No smile graced his face, no hint of any feeling at all showed on his features. He was like a mannequin at the mall - blank, void. She could not comprehend how this…this thing…before her and Kal were of the same ilk.

"Hello." Was all Liz could manage in return.

"You know, Miss Parker, this is becoming quite redundant, don't you think? How many times must you put your life at risk before you realize it is not prudent for you to be out alone?"

"My life wasn't in danger. He wasn't a skin." Liz argued, not appreciating his condescending tone.

Nasedo smiled then, and Liz found the action disturbing, "There are worse things than skins on your planet."

Feeling like he was trying to frighten her, and not wanting to give the impression that he was, Liz insisted, "I was fine. I'm not helpless."

"But you are." He said, his tone low, almost threatening, "You will be much better off when you realize that against those…like myself…helpless is precisely what you and your kind are."

"Do you always do that? Lurk in the shadows?" Liz asked, wanting to know how he'd known she was out here.

"I, unlike others with whom you are acquainted, do my job. I ensure the royal four are safe…always." Nasedo explained, the slight dig against Kal not unnoticed by Liz.

"By spying on them?"

"By monitoring their activities and who they associate with."

"But I'm not one of the royal four."

"No, you are not." His eyes raked over her disapprovingly, "But at the moment, you are valuable to them, to their cause. What were you doing out here anyway?" Nasedo asked.

"I was calling Kal to come get me." Liz explained, reaching for her cell phone to try again.

He snorted without humor, "I find it interesting, that - Kal - could so easily forget his commitment the pods, yet for you, he apparently drops everything and comes running. Like a dog."

This time, Liz did not let the obvious insult pass, "Kal Langley is a good man. A great man. He is trustworthy and dependable. He is capable of love and kindness and is not above showing it. He's more of a man then you could ever hope to be."

"Such a silly girl." He said as he shook his head at her, "Is that comment intended to insult me? You see, I do not hope to be a man at all."

Liz was ready to say something that would insult him - something that would make Kal proud. But she was stopped by the sound of someone calling her name.

And it was Max.

Max had been keenly attuned to Liz all night. Even if he wasn't looking at her, even if she wasn't near him, he knew where she was.

So it didn't take long for her absence to grab his attention. While the others continued to drink and talk, Max rose unnoticed from the table and went in search of Liz. After scanning the bar area and the dance floor with no sign of her, he walked to the ladies room and entered without pause.

Panic gripped his heart when he saw that it was empty.

"Liz?" he called out to the empty room as he looked under the stalls, hoping to see a pair of feet, though he knew inside, that hers would not be found.

Dread made him lightheaded, as scenarios of what could have happened to her danced in his head. Had there been a skin in the bar? Waiting for the moment that she was alone and unprotected? Had he been too distracted by the night's entertainment to notice someone watching them - watching her?

When he walked out of the bathroom, he saw the side door. His thoughts continued to taunt him - images of a skin grabbing Liz's small form from behind, a hand over her mouth cutting off her screams and forcing her out the door to the street beyond. He pushed open the door and stumbled out in his worry.

"Liz!" He yelled praying he would catch them in time, before she could be forced into a get-away-car he was now sure had been waiting.

He looked down one end of the street - towards the main road and saw nothing - no one. The urge to scream her name again bubbled in his throat as he looked at the other end of the road.

And then he saw her.

"Liz." He sighed her name - consumed with relief at the sight of her - safe - with Nasedo.

He jogged up to them and put his hands on her shoulders, on her arms, reassuring himself that it was her and that she was indeed unharmed. Breathing heavily, his hand cupped her cheek as he asked, "Are you alright?"

He didn't notice her downward look, his mind, retreating from terror, did not register how she would not meet his eyes.

He turned to Nasedo, who had witnessed and noted Max's every movement and expression. "What happened?" Max asked the protector.

"Miss Parker felt the need to make a phone call - outside." Nasedo explained.

"Outside?" Max asked, before turning to Liz, "Who were you calling?"

"Kal." Liz answered fully aware of Max's lingering touch on her face.

"Why?"

"I…wanted him to come pick me up. I have a headache," Liz lied, not wanting to explain the real reason for her sudden exit, "And I wanted to go home."

"You should have told me." Max said earnestly, "I'll take you home."

"No. Thank you for the offer, but I'd rather Kal come get me. You're having a good time - I don't want to ruin it for you." Liz said, lying again, not wanting to tell him she that didn't want to be around him just then. That being this close to him, feeling his touch and knowing it was forced - that his care and concern were counterfeit, made her heart ache so, it was a wonder she hadn't started crying again.

"Liz, don't be silly. My car's right there. Why make Langley come out here now? I…want to take you." And he did. He actually looked forward to a few minutes alone with her. Though he had enjoyed himself - a lot - and the presence of his friends had kept his actions respectful, it also made him realize how much he liked their time together - just the two of them.

When she still looked hesitant, Max added, "Please?"

Liz finally raised her eyes to his. And he looked so boyishly sincere, so eager, it squeezed her heart. He couldn't be that good of an actor - could he? Surely, his words, his actions, his look proved that he had to feel - something - for her. Her. Not just the scion in her mind.

Unable to deny him, Liz said, "Okay. If you're sure?"

Max smiled and unknowingly held out his hand to her, "Sure I'm sure. Come on, my car's just over there. I'll call Isabel on the way and let her know she can drive Tess home when they're done here."

At the mention of Tess' name, Liz stiffened, but Max didn't notice. He turned to Nasedo and said gratefully, "Thank you for being here. For making sure she was safe."

"Of course Max. It's what I do." Nasedo said, outwardly smiling. Inwardly, Nasedo's mind was whirling from the behavior Max had exhibited. He'd never seen the two together before. He'd never realized, until that very moment, exactly how much of a threat Liz Parker was to all he had planned. For him, what he had just observed changed everything.

"Well, I'll be on my way," Nasedo said cheerily, camouflaging his dark thoughts of the human girl, "I'll check on the others. And I hope your…headache…is alleviated soon, Miss Parker."

Having no doubt of the shape shifters insincerity, Liz only nodded. And she and Max walked the short distance to his car, while Nasedo left down the street in the opposite direction.
trulov
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Falling Dominoes (CCw/UC Adult) 10/29 Part 33 pg4

Post by trulov »

Thanks for reading and for your comments! :D

Chapter 33

The car drive back to the motel was silent. Liz was huddled close to the door, staring out the window watching as the town lights faded into the dark desert landscape. She wouldn't even look at Max - she couldn't - too many thoughts and emotions swirling within her.

She needed distance from him. She needed to regroup, to change how she saw him, how she viewed the entire situation, and their relationship. She needed to force herself to start looking at him as an acquaintance - a friend. A male friend with a fiancée, with a future before him that absolutely did not include her.

But it was tough.

She wanted nothing more then to relax against the seat and talk to him. To lapse back into the effortless conversation that had been theirs since they first met. To put her hand over his as it rested on the center gear shift, just to feel him, to enjoy the physical contact.

And then she hardened herself against the idea - too unsure - too insecure about his feelings and motives.

If what Tess had said was true, if Max's more than friendly attitude towards her was an act, to give into the urge to touch him would just be playing right into his scheme. And she would not let herself play the fool.

Though, she admitted, Max had been upfront with her about everything - about his feelings - since that night at the motel when she discovered his initial plan had been to mind warp her.

She knew their friendship had begun because it was required, it was what Max needed. There was no real reason for him to pretend to want more with her, as Tess had implied.

But if his feelings were genuine - if he did desire her in an unfriendly fashion, as much as the thought excited her - she acknowledged that that path could only lead to heartache as well.

He was leaving the planet for god's sake. He was committed to another woman. If he returned her feelings and their relationship became deeper would it be enough for him to change his plans? To choose her over an entire race, a kingdom? Would she want him to? Could she ask him to do that?

An actual headache began to form at the base of her skull, from the thoughts that pounded in her mind. She had to stop thinking about it. She just had to make it to the motel, and then in the privacy of her room, with Kal as her confidant, she could sort it all out.

It took effort for Max to focus on the road, so distracted was he by Liz's abrupt attitude change. She hadn't said a word, hadn't spared him a glance since getting in the car. Did she feel that unwell? Should he try to heal her? She didn't look sick.

She looked - angry.

He replayed the events of the night, searching for what he may have done to upset her. Should he ask her about it? Would talking about it only upset her further? But still, if he had distressed her in some way, he wanted to know - so he could make it right - make it up to her.

Max had never felt so uncertain in all his life.

Taking the plunge he asked, "Are you alright?"

"I'm fine." Was Liz's clipped response.

"You seem…different." Max commented, feeling different was a safe adjective – non- accusing, not critical.

When she didn't answer, he said, "Did something happen? Did…Isabel say something to you?" He was grasping he knew, but his sister could be very opinionated and outspoken at times. Though to him, she and Liz had seemed to be getting along just fine all night.

"No." Liz answered, and Max's frustration rose. Then what the hell had happened? Why was Liz suddenly so cold - so closed off?

Max felt alarmed as he pulled into the motel parking lot. He didn't want the night to end on a bad note. They had all been having so much fun - he knew Liz had as well. He couldn't leave things - leave her - like this.

The parking lot was almost completely filled. The fall crash festival would begin next week and apparently some enthusiastic tourists had decided to come early. Max had to park at the opposite end of the motel from Liz's room - in the back.

He would have walked her to the door anyway, but the added distance gave him an excuse to remain in her company and hope that in those additional few minutes, he could figure out what he had done wrong.

As soon as he parked the car, Liz jumped out the door. "Thanks for the ride, Max." She rushed out, and Max thought her voice sounded strangled, like she was trying to keep from crying.

That was enough for him. He was now determined to find out what had her so upset. He would not let her go until she told him.

"Liz!" He called as she started walking briskly across the lot.

"Liz, wait." He said firmly. "What…what's wrong?"

"Nothing." Liz stopped, and looked at her feet as she answered.

"No. Something…something definitely is. Did I do something?"

"No Max. I'm fine." She insisted.

"You don't look fine. Help me out here Liz, because I'm trying to figure it out. One minute we're practically holding hands and everything is great, and then the next minute, you won't even look at me."

Finally, Liz's eyes rose to his and he saw the tears swimming in them. "Exactly! That is what's wrong. We shouldn't be holding hands Max!" Liz all but yelled, "You shouldn't be looking at me like you do!"

Trying to understand what she was trying to tell him, Max asked, "You're mad at me because I look at you?"

"Yes! And how you stand so close to me, and how your voice softens when you talk to me, and how…" how you make me feel about you.

She finished the last sentence only in her mind, already feeling like she had said too much. Liz sighed loudly and finished, "Just forget it, okay. I'll see you tomorrow. I'm just…tired."

"No! Hold on one damn minute - I won't forget it." Max argued, slightly hurt by what she'd said. "Finish what you were saying."

"I don't want to talk anymore." Liz said, her voice now sounding truly tired - drained.

"Well too damn bad!" Max yelled. He felt…rejected, hurt, for the first time in his life.

She didn't want him to stand close to her? She didn't want him looking at her, talking to her? He loved doing those things. What the hell was he going to do if he couldn't look at Liz, couldn't touch her?

"It's not always about you Max!" Liz said, frustration and hurt making her yell once again. "You wanted to drive me home - so you did. You want to talk - so I have to? Is that how it is? You know what I want?"

"I have no frigging clue what you want right now!" Max retorted.

"I want…"And then Liz's voice lowered as an idea occurred to her. "I want to try the connection again."

"It will never work. You're being completely irrational." Max snorted as if it was the most ridiculous idea he'd ever heard.

Liz's eyes focused on him stubbornly and she said, "I think I'm allowed to be - this whole screwed up situation is irrational! You don't know that it won't work. And you don't get to call all the shots - not with me. I want to try the connection - now! The sooner we do this, the sooner I can get back to my life. Away from here!"

Liz spit out the last word, sounding almost disgusted. She'd said 'here' - but in her tone, Max knew she'd really meant him - she wanted to get away from him.

And in that moment, Max couldn't swallow - could barely pass air through his constricted throat. He was so confused - how had things between them deteriorated so quickly? What had he done?

He knew that through the years he had done things that hurt Tess' feelings. And though it now bothered him that he had, if he was honest, he still didn't fully comprehend what those things were exactly. What he had done or didn't do that had upset her time after time. And apparently, he was doing or not doing those things once again - but this time, to Liz.

"Okay." He agreed, all of his frustration deflating into sorrow.

Max put his hands around her face, knowing it could very well be the last time he did. He took a moment to memorize the feel of her skin, her hair. And then their eyes met and the connection opened wide, flooding, drowning each of them with the other's emotions.

Max saw himself as Liz saw him, feeling her awe and pride, her longing - all for him.

And then the image changed and he saw and heard Tess, and all things she'd said, and how Liz felt when she'd said them - humiliated, disappointed, devastated.

And still, the scion was there - Max saw it and waited - waited for some change, some movement to indicate that it was opening or that the information was passing to him, but none came.

Liz too saw herself as Max saw her. How he wanted her, adored her, was consumed by her - and she knew then, without doubt, that his feelings were real and undeniable and unstoppable.

She felt his panic when he couldn't find her.

She felt his confusion and pain because of her attitude in the car.

She saw his self-blame for her behavior, his certainty that he had been the cause.

They came out of the connection staring at each other, Liz's eyes filled with regret, Max's with understanding.

Liz was the first to look away as she asked, "So? Did it work?"

"Not yet." Max answered, still reeling from the intensity of Liz's emotions. That she could feel such acute sadness at the thought that he might not want her. He had to make her understand.

Max licked his lips, still holding Liz's face in his hands as he whispered, "She's wrong you know."

Liz's brows knitted in confusion, and Max clarified, "You. This. It's not just about the scion, Liz. Not for me. Not anymore."

Her heart began to beat furiously at his declaration and Liz said, "I'm sorry Max. For what I said…I didn't mean any of it."

"I know." Max reassured her, "I'm sorry too Liz."

He didn't realize how easy the word that had stuck in his throat just a few days prior now came from his lips. Max couldn't see how quickly all of Nasedo's lessons had melted away to nothingness in the light of what Liz had taught him. How knowing her had changed him so drastically.

"What for?" Liz asked, "You didn't do anything wrong."

Max held her closer and said, "I'm sorry all this can't be different...more. I wish it could. I wish that so much."

Liz blinked, and a tear fell from her eye, "Me too." Liz whispered.

But things weren't different, and they couldn't be, Liz knew. She should have been comforted by the fact that Max wanted her - wanted more with her. She now knew that if he could, he would build a relationship - a life - with her.

But the sad truth was - he couldn't.

And that fact made the situation all the more tragic to her.

Liz rubbed her lips together as they turned as one to walk to the motel. As they did, Max protectively put his arm around Liz. When she looked up at him in surprise he said, "I just…want to keep you warm."

Liz nodded and snuggled into his chest, taking pleasure from his embrace while she could.

A few minutes after Max and Liz arrived at the motel, Kal came charging through the door. His meeting with the Colonel had run late and security had not let him keep his cell phone during it.

He didn't know what time Liz would be back, and though he was pretty sure Max was smart enough not to leave her alone, he couldn't take any chances.

Max left then, with a promise of seeing Liz the next day. Alone in the suite Kal took in Liz's red-rimmed eyes, her dejected stance. "Did I miss something?" He asked.

Liz looked up from the couch and shrugged, "It's nothing."

"What did I tell you when you were thirteen and tried lying to me?" he asked, trying to brighten her mood.

A smile tugged at her lips at the memory, "You can't bullshit a bullshitter."

Kal nodded, "A fact that remains true today." He sat beside her on the couch and asked, "You want to fill me in?"

The tears slowly leaked from the corners of her eyes as she confessed, "I'm just stupid, Kalvin. I think…" She took a breath, "I think I'm falling in love with him."

He put his arm around her and she leaned her head on his shoulder, "You're not stupid." Kal declared with certainty, "I don't like stupid people, and I like you very much." This got a snort of laughter from Liz as she wiped at her runny nose with her hand.

Kal pulled a tissue from his pocket and handed it to her. "And as for loving him - I was afraid you would."

Using the tissue, Liz looked at him surprised, "You were?"

He nodded, "I don't know why. I don't for the life of me know what the hell you see in him. But I guess," He paused in thought a moment, "You don't get to always pick who you love. Sometimes, your heart just does it - without the brain's permission. God knows I didn't want to love you when you were a baby." He smirked, "And look at me now. I'm utterly pathetic."

Liz laughed.

And then she looked at him seriously, needing to hear the truth, to squash the hope that she still felt inside. "This isn't going to end good for me - is it? I mean," and she tried to smile, "It's not going to be like a movie or a romance novel, where the guy gives up everything for the girl and they somehow end up together against all the odds?"

Wishing he could lie to her, his heart breaking because he wouldn't, Kal looked her in the eyes and said, "No Liz. It's not going to end that way."

She nodded and tried to wipe the tears away, but they just kept coming, "I knew that. I did," And then her voice broke, "But I just realized that I really wanted it to, you know? I just really wanted it - so much."

And then the dam broke, and Liz sobbed as Kal said, "I know you did, sweetheart." He tried to comfort her. But he knew his words would not console her - not tonight. Because although Max Evans had not yet broken her heart, he had most certainly fractured it.

And as the light of his life continued to cry her heart out on his shoulder, Kal Langley's thoughts turned violent. Max was lucky he was the king, because if he had been an ordinary man, or even an ordinary alien, Kal would have soon made him a dead one.

It was at that moment that the door burst open and Maria Deluca stood in the doorway with two gallons of ice cream. "Ah," she said, taking in the scene before her, "I see your night ended about as well as mine." She walked into the room and closed the door with her foot.

"Men suck!" She said viciously.

And then she looked at Kal. "Oh. Sorry Kal."

He shrugged, uncaring.

"Alien men suck!" Maria clarified, holding up one finger as if she'd just made a monumental discovery.

And then she looked at Kal again. "Oh. Sorry Kal."

He rolled his eyes at her, as Liz's tears slowly subsided.

Maria held up one of the gallon containers, "I brought mocha-chip."

Kal stood and said, "I'll get the jalapenos."

Maria looked wide-eyed at Liz to see if he was serious, and then said, "That is just so wrong."

Tess had just taken off her shoes when Max came through the door, slamming it behind him.

He pinned her with an angry stare and asked, "You want to tell me what the fuck you were thinking?"

Tess didn't realize how used to the "new" Max she had become until that moment, when she stood facing his cold eyes. This was the Max she knew - the one she had dealt with for many years - before Liz Parker had come into their lives.

"What…what do you mean?" She asked hesitantly.

"Don't play dumb with me, Tess. The things you said to Liz - what were you trying to do?"

"She told you about that?" Tess said, truly surprised. She had thought of a few scenarios that could've occurred following her conversation with Liz. Not one of them had included Liz running to Max.

"No. We tried the connection and I saw it. Now fucking explain yourself. Do you know you could have ruined everything?" In truth, Max's anger did not flow from the possibility that Tess' words could have set back their plan. No, his fury stemmed from the picture of Liz's tear-stained face, from the personal knowledge of just how much pain those words had caused her.

"All I did was remind her of the truth - if Liz can't handle that then that's not my problem!" Tess shot back, her own anger over the situation bubbling forth.

"Are you fucking kidding me?" Max asked, incredulous of her short sightedness.

"Do you know how hard this is for me? How much it hurts me to see you do things with her that you've never done with me?" Tess yelled, laying it all out for him, hoping against hope that he would care.

"So let me get this straight." Max said, deceptively calm, "You all but sabotage our best shot at returning to Antar because I don't take you to play putt-putt?"

"You don't see the way you look at her - how you treat her! Like…like she means something to you - like she's precious." Tess explained, jealousy laced in every word.

"The fate of our planet hangs in the balance and you try to ruin it because you're fucking jealous?"

"Do you even hear yourself? Do you even know how different you are, because of her?"

"What are you talking about?"

" I'm talking about what you just said - Antar - our planet. You've always called it home - before." Tess said, her voice more sad now than anything else.

Max laughed at her bitterly, "Now you're trying to justify your actions with semantics? Give me a fucking break!"

"I hate this!" Tess yelled, her voice screeching, "I hate that you're with her!'

"I asked you about this! You said you were fine with it!"

"Well, I'm not fine with it anymore!" Tess yelled, "Just crack open her fucking head, like Michael said, and get the information yourself!"

Max froze, the venom in her voice shocking him. He looked at Tess like…like she was a monster. Softly, he asked, "Is that really what you want me to do?"

Tess sighed, tired of the argument, tired of fighting all together, "No." And then she asked, needing to know, "But would you do it. If I asked you to?"

"No." Max answered simply, firmly.

Tess nodded, not surprised. She had given up everything for him, would have done anything for him. But she'd always known he didn't feel the same. His answer only confirmed that.

She sat down on the couch, her eyes on her lap. In a small voice she said, "I think you're falling in love with her, Max."

"Come on, Tess." Max responded, exasperated, pinching the bridge of his nose with his fingers. His anger quickly gave way to guilt as a small voice inside him whispered that Tess was not too far off the mark.

And then he shut that voice up - quickly. He wouldn't listen to this - he could not at this moment, analyze his feelings for Liz. If he did - if he admitted how strongly he felt for her - even to himself - he wasn't sure what he would do.

"I think you're in love with her - and maybe you don't even know it yet. Are you Max? Are you in love with Liz Parker?" Tess asked, tears in her voice. "I need to know. I have nothing, Max. I have no friends, no other family. I need to know if I'm losing you - if I've already lost you."

Max sat on the couch beside her, and spoke soothingly, convincingly, "Listen to me, Tess. We are going to find the Granolith. We are going to go…home." Max wouldn't acknowledge how strange it felt, for the first time, to use the word in reference to a place he'd never seen. A place that was beginning to mean less and less to him. "And then we will get married. That will not change."

Tess looked at him, wanting so desperately to believe him. Her whole life - he was the only dream she'd ever had.

She brought her hands to his face and kissed him gently. After a moment, Max kissed her back, knowing she needed reassurance, even though his heart wanted him to pull back.

She stood and held out her hand to him and asked, "Are you sure?" She knew he hadn't really answered her question. He hadn't denied the feelings for Liz that she had accused him of. But her fragile heart couldn't push further. She didn't want to - she was too afraid of what he would say if she did.

Max stood with her, and said, "You won't lose me, okay. Nothing is going to change." And he let her lead him to the bedroom.

When Max had said the words, a small part of him actually believed them. He really thought that he and Liz could control their growing feelings. That however difficult it would be at the time, when all was said and done, he would return to his planet and Liz would return to her old life in LA. He thought his declaration to Tess was the truth.

But what Max didn't know, was that sometimes - most of the time actually -the unexpected happened. And even the best laid plans, did in fact, change.

And in only five short days, despite his words, Max's life would in no way resemble what it had been when he said them.
trulov
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Falling Dominoes (CCw/UC Adult) 10/29 Part 33 pg5

Post by trulov »

hello everyone! First, I'd like to add a little disclaimer - at times in this story, lines from the show Roswell will be used - they might be slightly changed or said by different characters - but no infringment in itended!

Twilighteyes - thank you soo much. I'm really glad you are enjoying this. As for Tess - i'm glad you feel sorry for her. I think she deserves our sympathy.
Wench on a Leash - as always, thank you. You understand where I'm going with Max perfectly and pointed out exactly what I'm trying to do with all the characters in this story - its all a big ball of gray - not to much obvious right and wrong side here.
nitpick23 - although it seems like Max is stringing everyone along - i think he's just trying to make the best of a tough situation - his feeling of right - his duty is pulling him in one direction, but his heart is going the other way.
Timelord23 - Ha! You'll be happy then - the second section in this part skips ahead 3 days!
roswell4life - yep - too late - Tess will not be getting out of this story unscathed or unchanged. As for kissing - its coming (not in this part) but very very soon - by the end of the week!
Alien-Friend - i love kal too - really! As for 5 days - mwaahaha - you'll see! As for the situation - yes, there's not a whole lot of need for deception - the situation itself presents more then enough potential drama
Natalie36 - thank you - the fact that you can feel sad for tess is a great compliment.
garcia88 - nope - no awkwardness for Max and Liz - they are off and running - wonder where their feelings will take them?

Thanks to you all for reading - your continued interest and support keep me going!
And thanks to Wench on a Leash for betaing this for me - for helping me past my doubts about certain parts and for always getting these parts back to me so fast.

Chapter 34

The sun was just creeping over the horizon when Max exited his car and walked to the parking lot where Langley was waiting for him.

"What's going on?" Max asked, assuming Liz was still inside, asleep.

"I have a proposition for you." Langley stated, not looking at Max, but scanning the parking lot.

"I'm listening."

"I didn't want Liz to know, or I would have discussed it with you last night."

"Go on."

"I have a friend, in the airforce. A Colonal." Kal explained.

"You're kidding."

Kal snorted, "You know what they say, keep your friends close, your enemies closer. Anyway - the airforce has your ship."

"My ship?" Max asked, now looking around the parking lot as well, wondering what Langley was looking for.

"From the '47 crash. They have it. They've reassembled it. And I can get to it."

Max considered all of the implications of Langley's statement.

"I can get you - all of you – in to see the ship. You could disguise yourselves and then you could - voila - fly away home - just like ET" Langly explained, "On the condition, that you agree to let me take Liz out of Roswell - immediately."

Max thought for just a moment and then said decisively, "No."

Kal smirked, "Why not?" He hadn't really expected Max to go for the idea. He knew Max wanted the Granolith and it was there that Liz came into play. It had been a long shot, but a shot he had to take all the same, if it meant he could get Liz out of this mess.

"I don't need to explain myself to you." Max said.

At his authoritative tone, Kal finally looked at the other man and said, "Ah, now there's the king I know."

Ignoring the mocking in the other man's voice, Max asked, "Was that it?"

"No, actually, there's something else we need to discuss, something you need to understand."

"And that is?" Max asked distrustfully.

"Liz told me she met Nasedo last night."

"Yeah," Max confirmed, "He made sure she was alright - she had been out on the street, alone."

Kal shook his head at his King's naiveté. Then he looked Max dead in the eyes and said slowly, "He is not to go near her again."

Max's brow wrinkled in confusion, "But he's our protector, it's his job to…"

Max was cut off when Langley stepped close to him, his finger pointing in Max's face, "Listen to me boy - this is not negotiable. This is not up for discussion. If you want this little plan to continue you will swear to me here and now, as a man, as my King, that that evil bastard will never be alone with Liz again. I don't want him protecting her - I don't want him anywhere near her - do you understand me?"

Max was shocked by the vehemence with which Langley spoke. "Evil? Don't you think you're being a little dramatic? I know Nasedo can be…unemotional - but, he's been here - he trained us, taught us, kept us safe when no one else did." He and Max had disagreed at times over the years, but Nasedo had never been anything but loyal to them.

In frustration, Kal grabbed Max by his shirt and pushed him back up against a car, "He is evil." He said without doubt. "I've seen first hand what he can do. Did he ever tell you about Antar?"

"Of course." Max spat out, challenging him with his eyes.

Kal smirked, "Let me guess - rolling green hills and red water? Did he ever tell you what he did on Antar?"

"He was a soldier." Max answered.

"He was a killer. A hired gun. He killed hundreds."

"Sometimes killing is a soldier's job." Max defended.

"Listen to me, dammit!" Kal yelled, slamming Max us against the car. "Open your eyes! He enjoyed it - the slaughter. He got off on the power. I've killed - I admit that - it was the job, but even then, even before Liz, it was never something I took pleasure in. Nasedo taunted them - made them beg for their lives. He tortured them - he liked to draw it out - make simple assassinations as painful as he could. If he can do that to his kind, his own people - your people - what do you think he's capable of doing to Liz?"

Max was silent in the wake of the protector's speech.

"Order him not to hurt her - do something. But don't ever let him close to her again. If you don't I will have my men chloroform Liz and toss her on the next plane out of here. She'll hate me for it - but she'll be alive."

Hearing the desperation in his voice, realizing just how much thought Langley had given to a last resort escape plan for Liz, Max had no choice but to agree. He didn't believe for a second that Nasedo would harm any of them, Liz included, but if it meant keeping her in Roswell, he'd do it. "Alright. Okay, Langley. Nasedo doesn't go near Liz. I'll take care of it."

Kal nodded and released Max. "The last time you died because you trusted the wrong people. I hope to god you're smarter this time around."

As Kal turned to leave, Max's voice stopped him, "Wait, there's something I need to know."

Kal stopped, but didn't look at Max. He'd resumed scanning the parking lot.

"I've tried to connect with Liz. Twice. I've tried to access the scion, and… it's not working."

Kal shrugged, "I told you it wouldn't be easy. It takes time."

"But, we know each other - we've gotten, close." Max explained.

"If Nicolas stormed that door right now - who would Liz call out for? Who would she go to to help her - save her?"

"You." Max admitted.

"Exactly. You need to change that. It's not that she can't depend on me and you, but she has to trust you - with her life - with everything. She can't force it - she can't trick herself into doing it. It has to be automatic, subconscious. That's the best I can explain it."

Max nodded, "Okay." And then, seeing where Langley's attention was, he asked, "What are you looking for?"

Not moving his train of vision, Kal answered, "I think I'm being followed."

"By skins?" Max asked, now looking around as well.

"Don't think so."

"By your airforce friends?" Max wondered.

"No."

"Then who?"

"I'm not sure yet. I'll let you know when I do."

When he saw the concern on Max's face, Kal said, "Don't worry your pretty little head about me. I know how to take care of myself. You just focus on Liz - don't let anything happen to her."

"Right." Max nodded uneasily, because he knew if someone or something was targeting Langley, their ultimate goal would be Liz.

3 days later

Michael stared at the eggs on his plate, covered in Tabasco. He didn't dare look up. If he did, he knew he would see Maria's emerald eyes staring at him and the wall that he had spent three days rebuilding would crumble.

It had been amazingly stupid for him to come. When Isabel had woken him early that morning with a phone call inviting him to breakfast at the outdoor café on Main Street, he should have suspected something was not right. He should have sensed by the urging tone in her voice, that she had an ulterior motive. But he'd missed it. And that was how he found himself sharing an early morning meal with the woman he had desperately avoided since - the kiss.

And oh, the kiss, how it had haunted him. He'd always had fantasies of Maria - even in high school. He had convinced himself they were just about sex - about the physical attraction - as some men feel towards the stars they view in porn films. He'd told himself that the reality could never live up to the fantasy.

But he had been wrong.

Having tasted her, just that once, he had instantly known that being able to love, to touch, Maria Deluca would blow any wet dream he'd ever had of her way out of the water. And since he'd had that glimpse of just how good it would be, he'd felt like a drug addict having had his first taste of heroin. Now knowing the euphoria of the drug, he craved it constantly - the idea, the want, never really leaving his thoughts - always at least on the periphery of his mind.

He'd spent most of his time since the kiss in seclusion, venting his feelings as he always had, through his paintings. But even his own creations betrayed him - they were filled with images of lust and want - of things so badly desired that could never be. Looking at them had nearly driven him to seek her out, so much so, that he'd had to put them away in a closet, one by one, as soon as they were completed.

If he could just hold out a little bit longer. He knew Maria was leaving Roswell. Not as soon as he would have liked, but as soon as Alex's cast was off. And Michael believed, if he could just stay away from her until she was gone, life as he'd always known it would return to normal. Well, at least normal for them.

Michael looked at Isabel, sitting beside Alex, gazing at him like a love-sick teenager as the lanky man spoke. Michael wondered if she even knew what she had done by inviting him here. Didn't she recognize how difficult this was for him? How hard he was fighting what every cell in his body wanted him to do?

As he looked at her, he didn't think she did.

Isabel was so lost in Alex, in her elation at being able to see him, spend time with him, he didn't think she could see anything else. Michael wished he could be more like her. He wanted to be able to enjoy Maria for a time, while he could, as Isabel was obviously doing with Alex.

But he wasn't like Isabel. He knew himself well - he understood his strengths and weaknesses. It could never be half way with Maria Deluca. It was all or nothing. And if he wanted to fulfill his obligation to his people, to Nasedo and Max and Isabel and Tess - well then, it would have to be nothing.

While Michael pondered the limits of his resolve, Maria began to doubt herself, and her own powers of deduction. She had been so sure he had wanted this. So sure they could be incendiary together.

But looking at Michael, in the early morning light, she admitted his behavior indicated he really wanted nothing to do with her. And that he was perhaps even slightly repulsed by her.

When he and Isabel had walked up to her and Alex's table, Maria saw Michael's body tense - and it was the only sign she had, throughout the meal, that he knew she was there at all. He hadn't looked at her, hadn't spoken to her.

In the days since that earth-quaking kiss, Maria had spent quite some time with Isabel. They'd talked, had lunch, gone shopping - and each time they met, Maria hoped for some sighting of Michael, but none had come.

She'd broached the subject of him with Isabel - had told the other girl how attractive she found Michael - how much she liked him, just as Isabel had confessed her feelings regarding Alex. But unlike Alex, Michael had never given any indication of returning her feelings.

And she hadn't wanted to push the topic with Isabel. Maria didn't want her new found friend to think she was using her just to get close to Michael, which was not the case. She genuinely liked her - finding her funny and smart and warm. The fact that she was practically the sister of Maria's all time crush was an added bonus, but not one she wanted to exploit. And so she'd done the only thing she could. She waited for him to come to her.

And here he was, at last. But he was like a blank slate - a brick wall. He gave her nothing. How do you catch a fish that refuses to even swim in your lake, let alone taste the bait on your line?

With an achingly sinking heart, she began to contemplate the likely idea that Michael really didn't return her feelings. And that she was setting herself up to look like a loose, desperate woman. And that was someone Maria Deluca would not be - she crawled for no man - not even Michael Guerin.

Alex's voice cut through Maria's thoughts, "Hey, The Clone Wars is showing at the Regal in an hour - you guys want to go?"

"Sure." Isabel agreed quickly, "I'm really into Star Trek."

Alex looked at Isabel, his confidence doubling at her mistake, "Great, I'll fill you in on the back story on the walk over. How about you Michael? You up for some sci-fi?"

Michael deadpanned, "Don't need to see it on the big screen. I live it, man."

"Right." Alex replied, though he didn't get what Michael meant at all. He turned to Maria, who had been uncharacteristically quiet.

"No, I'm not really in the mood for a not of this earth drama - had my fill of those lately," she said. "You two go ahead. Live the life I desperately want."

Hearing the sadness in her voice, Michael rose abruptly and threw a ten doller bill on the table as he said, "I've got somewhere to be. Bye." And he walked to his motorcycle, parked a few feet away at the curb.

As Alex and Isabel rose to leave, they looked at Maria in concern, "You sure you don't want to come? It'll be fun." Isabel asked her.

Maria forced a smile and shook her head, "No - don't worry. I'm fine."

After the two walked off towards the theater, Maria continued to sit at the table, staring pensively at her coffee cup.

She'd blown it, she thought. Her one chance with Michael and she'd misread him, badly. What had he said? He didn't like pushy women? She guessed he had been telling the truth.

Unfortunately for Michael, as he unlaced his helmet from the side of the bike, he happened to look up, and observed Maria's forlorn silhouette at the table. His chest squeezed tightly at the sight. He took in the heartbroken look on her face, the sag of her shoulders, and cursed under his breath.

She had always reminded him of a mustang - wild, unfettered. And seeing her now, knowing he had been the one who had broken her - he just couldn't bare it. The rope that had kept him restrained snapped inside him, and Michael found himself standing before Maria at the table once more.

"So, that artist you like?" He heard himself say, "There's a show in a few days at this gallery not far from here. I have to stop there - I did some work for the curator. You wanna come?" he asked gruffly - not sounding inviting at all.

But the offer was all it took - and Maria Deluca was back with a vengeance. A bubble of glee welled inside her, and all she could do was nod her head while she smiled ear to ear at him.

Michael allowed himself a moment to look at her radiant face, pleased because he had put that smile there. He held out the helmet to her, "Put this on," he said, before walking to his bike without waiting for her.

Maria took the helmet, dancing inside as she thought - she had been right! He did like her - he did want her! And now, she would be riding behind him on a motorcycle, her arms engulfing him tightly the whole way. Yes! Michael Guerin was as good as hers.

While Michael and Maria were leaving the café on the motorcycle, Max was driving to the motel. In the days since their talk, Max, Tess and Liz had fallen into a sort of routine. He would rise early and have breakfast with Tess. Then Max would go to Liz's and spend the majority of the day with her. If Tess was not working in the evening, Max would return for dinner with her. If she was working, he would remain with Liz. It was an unusual situation by anyone's standards, but the conventional had never been part of their lives.

As Max drove, a smile played on his lips as his thoughts turned to Liz. He loved their time together - missed it when they were apart, looked forward to it through the night. Sometimes they would just stay at the motel, sometimes they would go running, or have lunch at the park. Mostly, they talked.

And theirs were the best kinds of talks - about nothing and everything.

They had even discussed his planet - what he expected to find when he got there, the kind of leader he hoped to be if Kivar could be defeated. Strangely, Max had felt detached during that conversation - as if they were having a hypothetical discussion or talking about someone they had read about in a book.

Returning to Antar had always been such a certainty - his only certainty. But now it seemed less and less concrete for him - more of an idea - an if rather than a when. And Max wasn't exactly sure how he felt about that.

But what he felt when he was near Liz - that he was very sure of. It was increasingly difficult for him not to touch her, to hold her. She seemed to become more beautiful every time they were together, more tempting, and he had to increase his effort not to give into that temptation.

They hadn't really been alone since that night in the parking lot. In part by chance - Langley had either been at the motel, or they had been in a public place. In part intentional - with Maria or someone else present Max knew he would control himself - that he wouldn't turn his ever increasingly detailed fantasies of Liz into reality.

He wanted to – God, how he wanted to just give in to his desire for her. But he knew that if anything happened between them, it would only serve to hurt her more in the end. And the idea of hurting her was an abomination to him, one he couldn't and didn't want to contemplate.

For the time being, he was just happy he could be with her - he felt lucky to know her. He wanted to be a better man for her - knew he was already a better person because of her.

As he passed an outdoor supply store, an item in the window caught Max's eye, and an idea of what they could do this day struck him. Tess was working tonight, so he and Liz would have the whole day and night to themselves. He quickly pulled over, ran into the store and purchased two items. A few short minutes later, he found himself at the motel.

Liz opened the door for Max to come in. He thought she looked adorable - her hair in two braids, a snug white t-shirt and khaki shorts. It was as if she had read his mind.

Liz saw the excitement in Max's eyes. His hair was still damp from his morning shower, and as he passed her, the scent of soap and spice - something she associated only with Max - had her heart pumping faster and heat spreading throughout her thighs. He was dressed in jeans and a green t-shirt - the color setting off the gold flecks in his eyes.

"What's up, Max?" Liz asked as she saw the shopping bag in his hands.

"Feel like a picnic?" Max asked.

"Sure, sounds like a great idea." Liz answered as she glanced out the window and saw the deep blue of the flawless sky.

"Great." Max said eagerly, "And how do you feel about hiking?" He asked as he pulled out a pair of hiking boots, just her size.

Liz's eyes widened. She loved hiking, and the opportunity to explore the vast desert and rock formations on a cool, clear day such as this, sounded fantastic. That Max would be with her would make the adventure all the more wonderful.

"Oh God! Yes." Liz said animatedly, "I'll grab some backpacks, and pack a lunch, and then we'll go."

Max nodded his head, his smile even wider, "Perfect." He whispered.

And that was just what Max thought this day would be for them - perfect.

"There's an elephant."

"I think that one's a giraffe."

"That one's a hot air balloon."

"No - it looks like an alien."

"What kind?"

"A shape shifter. He's not good looking enough to be my kind."

"I can't believe you never did this before."

"I wasn't the most imaginative child, Liz."

"But still, Kal and I would do this for hours."

"Really? Langley doesn't seem like the type."

"Well - it wasn't aways animals and furry creatures. Sometimes it would be 'that one looks like a Porsche - that one a Mazaradi.' Or, 'that one looks like a six carat diamond - that one's only a four carat.'"

"Yeah. That sounds more like him."

It had been several hours since they left the motel, and Max and Liz had hiked about five miles from the car. They had just finished lunch atop a large hill, and now lay on their backs with their heads touching, on the soft blanket gazing up at the white clouds that had rolled in - making pictures out of them.

"Oh, look!" Liz said, "That one looks like a baby."

"I can't see it."

She took his hand in hers, her eyes on the cloud, his on where their hands touched, and she traced his hand over the image she saw on the cloud, "Look. There's the head, and that's the hand, and it's wrapped in a blanket."

When she released his hand, Max rolled to his side so he could look down at her, almost leaning over her. He wanted to kiss her. His face wasn't far from hers - if he just leaned forward - just a bit - their lips would touch. Max wet his lips and searched for something to say - anything - to push away the thought of bringing his mouth to hers.

"Is that something you think you want?" He asked.

"A baby?" Liz looked up at him, his face shadowed by the still shining sun behind him, "Oh, definitely. I would love to have kids."

"Yeah?"

"Yep. I mean, I love my career - really. But I would give it all up in a heartbeat to have a family. I want the whole package. Mom, Dad, two point five kids, a dog…"

"A white picket fence around the mansion." Max teased.

"Exactly - I had a lot growing up, but I didn't have that…a family." Liz smiled. "Kal was great though," she said quickly, not wanting Max to think she had felt in any way deprived by Kal raising her. "He can't wait for me to settle down and have kids."

"Again, that just doesn't sound like the Langley I know." Max tried to picture Grandpa Kal - and a dozen dark haired children running around him - but couldn't manage it.

"You'd be surprised. He's a hard ass to you, because…well, I think you scare him." Liz explained.

"I scare him? Now I know you're messing with me."

"He's afraid you'll hurt me." Liz explained in a small voice, pushing an imaginary hair back from Max's forehead. "Plus, I think you remind him just a bit too much of himself, once upon a time. But the truth is, Kal was an amazing father - and he'll be a wonderful Grandfather - though I'm sure he'll spoil any offspring of mine rotten. He says it won't take him a year and a half , this time, to get his head out of his ass and enjoy the little snot noses. His words, not mine."

Max leaned back and swallowed hard, suddenly nauseous by the thought of Liz having children. He felt sick at the idea that there was a man out there who would get to have her…and keep her.

The quiet of the afternoon was obliterated by the explosive bang of thunder. Max and Liz both looked towards the sound and saw ominous gray clouds in the distance, but heading their way.

"We should clean up and head back before the storm catches us." Max said.

"Right." Liz agreed, standing up. "I just have to…ah…use the little girl's room."

"Oh." Max said, looking around for a secluded spot. He walked a few feet away to a large rectangular shaped rock that stood taller than he was. He waved his hand over it and the symbol for the woman's rest room appeared. "Your facilities." He joked, making a show with his hands, of presenting it to her.

Liz laughed walking over to the rock, "You're too kind." And she disappeared behind it as Max went to start putting their things into their backpacks.

After shaking out and folding the blanket, Max put the remainder of their picnic lunch away. He looked around the desert, once again enjoying the view. He knew this part of the desert well, had searched here and the surrounding area countless times through the years in the search for the Granolith.

But being here, today with Liz, it had felt like the first time. Everything seemed brighter, better, more breathtaking when he was with her, as if he was seeing the world though new eyes.

Another rumble of thunder brought his eyes to the darkening sky. The storm was coming in fast. "Hey Liz," he called, "Are you almost ready?"

When silence was all that answered him, he walked closer to the rock, but stayed far enough away as not to invade her privacy.

"Liz?" Max called again, "I know you didn't fall in - are you okay?"

He waited three beats, and when there was no response from behind the rock, Max felt the first whispers of fear in his stomach.

"Liz?" Discretion be damned, Max quickly walked to the rock.

"LIZ!" He shouted again, panic making him louder, because when Max walked behind the large boulder, no one was on the other side.

Liz was gone.
trulov
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Falling Dominoes (CCw/UC Adult) 11/6 Part 35 pg5

Post by trulov »

Hey guys - sorry to keep you waiting!

Thanks for reading and for all your great feddback!

Chapter 35

Max's head whipped from left to right, searching randomly - where was she?

Christ almighty, she was gone - taken.

Because he had been careless. Because he had been too fucking busy gazing at clouds and thinking about her lips, when he should have been checking their surroundings, making sure she was safe. Max tasted the terror on his lips as he uselessly called her name again, and scrambled down the side of the hill, his eyes scanning everywhere - anywhere for a trace of Liz.

And then he stopped.

Giving into the panic that threatened to over take him would not help her. He had to get a hold of himself - on the feelings raging through him. He had to get control.

Max blew out a harsh breath and closed his eyes. Just as Nasedo had taught him, he detached - he blocked every ounce of emotion within him. He was a rock, he was steel, he felt - nothing.

His mind blank, his heart now calm, Max listened to the sounds of the desert around him. He waited, and searched with his mind, with his senses for any trace of that which didn't belong.

And then he heard them.

Footsteps. Pairs - not an animal's, quickly shuffling away from him, and a muffled voice - a whimper - Liz's.

Max walked quickly, with sure steps back up the steep hill, and then traveled down the opposite side.

And then he saw them.

Roughly two hundred yards away - four men, with their backs to him. He could make out Liz's form in front of one, being half dragged, half carried - the man's arms around her middle with one hand over her mouth.

Max took several step towards them, and sent a perfectly aimed blast in their direction, shattering a boulder to their left, bringing the group to a stop. As they turned to face him, he continued to walk closer to them in long confident strides. He picked up a stick on the way, swinging it - testing its use as a weapon.

His face was void of expression, his eyes blank and deadly as he approached them. The skin holding Liz called out, "Stop. Stop right there or I'll snap her fucking neck."

Max saw Liz's wide fearful eyes, but wouldn't acknowledge them. He slowed his steps but continued to move towards them. He smirked and responded, "No you won't. Nicolas needs her alive. If you break her - you ruin his plans, and he'll…well we both know how well that will go over."

Max stopped his forward motion, and looked over the group as the skins flexed their hands, readying for battle. He looked each of them in the eyes, wanting them to see what was coming for them - death - swift and certain.

The humorless smirk remained as he offered, "I'm in a good mood today. I'm feeling…merciful. Let her go now, and I'll let you live."

The skin furthest to the right, he looked young, his husk a boy of no more than seventeen, said, "You'll let us live? There's four of us - only one of you."

Max regarded him with contempt, "Did you ever ask yourself why Nicolas didn't come himself? He knew he was sending you on a suicide mission. Let her go. I won't ask again."

Liz shivered involuntarily - not because of the skin who restrained her - but because of the ruthlessness in Max's eyes, the cold indifference of his voice. For the briefest moment he reminded her, as he looked the group over, of Nasedo.

The charcoal colored clouds were above them now, a bolt of lightening flashed above and reflected in Max's eyes, making them look inhuman…alien. A bellow of thunder followed, warning of the storm that was to be, as a breeze blew back the hair from Max's face, revealing the strong crease of his brow and the relentless set of his jaw.

Not one of the skins responded to his warning. Instead, the young one sent a blast at him, which Max easily deflected with his shield. And then three of the four rushed at him, working together, determined to overtake the King.

Liz saw the skins' blasts fly, but they were erratic and untrained. When they reached him, Max elbowed one in the face, breaking the nose of his husk with a bloody crunch. He sent the other two flying back with a blast, as he spun the first around and clipped him on the back of the head, reducing him to dust.

Her fear forgotten, Liz watched the fight before her, stunned at the deadly grace with which Max moved. Each thrust, every blast sent with deliberate and calm calculation to inflict the most damage. She couldn't help but see the strain of his muscles, attesting to his power and strength. He was magnificent to watch. Even while battling for their lives, Liz couldn't help but find his movements - him - beautiful.

The second skin went down with a back kick to the head, while Max swung the stick at the third's middle, doubling him over to his knees. And then he struck the death blow, on the bowed head.

Liz could feel the panting of the last man against her back, like a cornered animal. In a final attempt at victory and survival, he threw her to the ground and rushed at Max, a battle cry coming from his lips, drowned out by yet another deafening clap of thunder.

She saw Max stand, feet spread, waiting for the enemy to reach him. And she watched as Max sent out his shield, just before the skin touched him - trapping him within the green bubble. Max took his other hand and placed it on the green dome, filling it with flames as inside the skin's mouth opened in a soundless scream. When Max removed his hands, the ball of fire within the shield evaporated into the air, the skin that had been within it gone - not even his ashes remaining to blow in the wind.

Liz rose slowly from her knees, her eyes never leaving Max, her mouth slightly open in awe and wonder. He had saved her life - again. Her heart clenched as she watched him breathe rapidly from the effort he had expended. He was looking down at the cracked ground, but Liz could see the color, the emotion return to his face.

When he looked up at her, she saw all that he was feeling in his eyes. Regret that she had been in danger, relief that she was unharmed, and desire - the burning want that always seemed to be in his eyes when he looked at her.

Max walked to her, unsurely, as the clouds rippled with lightening. His confidence suddenly gone, his throat dry because of what he had done in front of her. He knew he had only done what was necessary, but did Liz know that?

The crash of thunder filled the air as he reached her, so loud Max had to yell, "Liz?" He put his hand to her bare arm as she just continued to stare - her expression unreadable. "Are you alright?" He asked, loud enough to be heard above the wind, concern snaking into his voice at her lack of response or movement.

And then Liz did the last thing he expected, but wanted above all else.

She took two steps towards him, wrapped her arms around his neck, and brought her lips to his, kissing him with all that she had, giving him all that she was.

Helpless not to respond, Max's arms came around her waist, pulling her to him, touching the soft skin where her shirt had risen. His lips covered hers, his mouth moved with hers, his tongue slid against hers, in a kiss that was not gentle - but desperate and filled with all the passion and longing he'd held in check these last weeks.

And as their bodies melted together, so as not a whisper of distance between them, the sky opened up and the rain, at last, began to fall.
trulov
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Falling Dominoes (CCw/UC Adult) 11/7 Part 35 pg7

Post by trulov »

Sorry I don't have time to post individual feedback. But thanks to all of you who continue to read this and post your comments. I'm thrilled that you like it!

And now, the part most of you have been waiting for! :D

Chapter 36

Song - Show Me Heaven by Maria McKee

The blanket of rain poured down on them, with huge droplets that rendered them drenched in seconds, but neither noticed.

Max was too focused on the feel of her mouth on his, the perfect way her body molded to his. He turned his head for a different angle, still kissing her, and tasted the rain on her lips.

The thunder crashed above them, and a blaze of lightening lit up the sky, rousing his attention to the conditions around them. He ended the kiss, gently resting his forehead on hers, catching his breath.

He had to get her out of here - it wasn't safe. They were out in the open - he didn't know if there were more skins waiting to attack. He knew mudslides were possible in this kind of raging storm - the parched ground unused to such a deluge.

There was a cave not far from this very spot. He and Michael had explored it last summer. They could stay there until the storm passed over, they could dry off, they could…well, he just had to get her there.

Max took Liz's hand, and wordlessly Liz followed him, squinting against the downpour. Max grabbed their packs as they passed the spot where they had lunched, and minutes later they entered the mouth of the cave. It was dark within, but dry and warm - the rocks emanating the heat the outer layer absorbed from the harsh sun.

As soon as they crossed the threshold, Max dropped the packs to the ground and pulled Liz back into his arms, needing to taste her again, having to touch more of her, all of her.

As they devoured each other with their lips, Liz hoisted herself up and naturally wrapped her legs around Max's waist. His hands fell to her bottom, grasping and kneading both to support her weight and to relish the delicious feel of her flesh. His touch elicited a moan from her that was lost in Max's mouth.

Liz leaned back and pulled her saturated shirt over her head. Max fell to his knees, Liz resting on his thighs, her legs pulling him tight against her as he too removed his dripping shirt.

When they came back together, their mouths fused once more, it was Max's turn to moan as the soft silk of her skin glided against his own. One hand traced down her spine, his finger tips alternating between delicate touches and grasping on her back, pushing her even closer against his body, while his other hand rose up the back of her neck into her hair, holding her head while his mouth loved hers.

Liz heard him moan again, and felt the vibration of it against her chest when she sucked his bottom lip into her mouth, scraping her teeth against it when she released it to join once more in a tongue tangled kiss.

She could feel her wet hair on her shoulders as his hand dislodged what remained of her braids. She was wet - soaked to the bone, but her skin was on fire - the heat from his embrace making her want to crawl even closer to him, while she wondered if they would go up in flames.

Not knowing where he found the resolve, Max gave Liz one final languid kiss and then lowered his head, resting his forehead on her breast, his breath coming out in short desperate pants.

He needed to say this, she had to understand. He would never forgive himself…after…if she didn't.

"God, Liz…"His voice was hoarse with emotion and with the effort not to lose himself in her before he uttered the words that needed to be said. "I want this…I want you - so much. I've never wanted anything this much."

He swallowed hard, hating what he had to explain, wanting nothing more in that moment than to stay in this cave with her forever. "But…whatever happens here, between us. I still have…I can't abandon the others…any of them." He looked into her eyes, pleading for her to understand.

And she did. He wanted her, needed her as badly as she did him. But he wasn't hers - could never be hers - not to keep anyway. When he'd said 'them', Liz knew he meant Tess, more than Isabel or Michael.

"I know Max," she answered, her voice just as ragged, "You won't leave them behind, no matter how much you may want to." She took his face in her hands and whispered, "I think that just makes me love you more. I want this too Max, so much. I love you. And I know you're not free, but…I just don't care. And if that make me pathetic, then I don't care about that either. I need you. And I know you can't give me forever. I know you'll leave. And maybe all you can give is two days, or eight, or twelve. But I want those days with you Max. If all you can give me is twelve then we'll take those twelve days and…"

"And we'll live twelve lifetimes." Max finished for her, his stomach tightening at her declaration, his soul screaming for him to return it with a declaration of his own.

But before he could, she nodded slightly and said, "Yes."

And then she was kissing him again, and Max let go, and was lost in her.

Miles away from the cave, Alex and Isabel were forced to take shelter from the storm as well, under a big oak tree in the park. After the movie, they had stopped for lunch and then decided on a relaxing walk in the park.

When the storm hit, almost without warning, they had gone for the nearest cover. Although some drops still made their way through the branches, they were saved from the shower that fell all around them.

Isabel self-consciously pushed a wet strand of hair back from her face. God, I must look awful, she thought.

To Alex, she had never looked more lovely.

He had been patient these last few weeks. He had held himself back - not wanting to blow what he saw as his first and only chance with Isabel. They got along so well - had so much fun together. And Alex was sure the signals she was sending him were more than just those of a friend - Maria had certainly never looked at him the way he caught Isabel doing at times.

So, although it was ahead of schedule, Alex decided to go for it. The moment was perfect - the day had been perfect - just as she was.

"Will you have dinner with me tomorrow night?" Isabel heard Alex ask her, and she turned towards him, hearing the seriousness in his voice. He was gazing at her intensely, his blue eyes dark, not sparkling with comedy as they usually did.

"Sure." She said quickly with a smile, "Do you want to bring Maria and Michael too?"

"No, Isabel, I don't think you understand me. I want to have dinner with you….a date." Alex tried to sound confident, but the truth was his palms were sweating with anxiety. This was it. The moment of truth. This would decide it all for him. If he and Isabel would start to be something…more, as he had always - always dreamed of. Or, if they would enjoy their time together, and then go their separate ways when he left for LA.

He saw the second of confusion on her face that melted into clarity, and then…regret - sorrowful disappointment. The way a woman looked when she knew she was about to crush you, and didn't want to - but still had no choice. That look said it all for him, and before Isabel could utter a sound Alex said, "Forget it. Never mind. Just pretend I didn't say anything, okay?"

She shook her head slowly, her features sad, "Alex, it's not that I don't…"

Alex snorted, knowing what was coming - and he didn't think he could bare to hear her say it, "I know. It's not that you don't like me - just not in that way. I get it. It's not me – it's you. Don't worry about it."

"No, Alex, it's not like that - I swear, it's just…" The words died on her lips at his crestfallen look, and she knew he wasn't really listening to her. Her chest was tight, her brow knitted together, trying to think of how to explain to him what she felt. How she wanted to date him - be with him - more than she could ever remember wanting anything. But that she just couldn't.

Isabel turned and looked out at the rain. Her time could come at any moment. Any day, Max could open the scion and the way to their planet would be revealed. Or maybe they would come for them - send a ship that would drop from the sky and whisk them away to a place she didn't know, had never seen. A place she had never been sure she wanted to see.

And if they did - if and when she left, she would spend the rest of her life alone. At least, in her heart she would be alone - never knowing the touch of a man she truly loved and who she knew without question loved her in return.

Could she live with that - could she live that life?

Or was it better to know love - even just for one night or one week or one month? And she could keep those memories close - she could have them, relive them - enough to get her through a lifetime of loneliness.

She knew if she rejected Alex now, he wouldn't ask again, and her chance would be gone forever. She didn't want to live her life never knowing what they could have been - what they could have had.

Isabel knew she was standing on a ledge. She had to decide - did she want to leap off, just to know what it felt like to fly? Or did she want to back up, and keep her feet safely on solid ground.

She looked at Alex's kind and gentle and handsome face and knew without question what the answer was.

And so, she lept.

"Yes, Alex." The certainty in her voice brought his head snapping back to hers. "I want to have dinner with you. A date. I would absolutely love to date you, Alex Whitman."

"You would?" Alex asked, needing confirmation that her words were not a figment of his imagination.

Smiling, Isabel took his hand in hers, held it tight and said, "Yes."

"Yesss." Liz whispered and her breath tickled Max's ear as he sucked on her neck, leaving a mark. Touching her - tasting her was ecstasy - he was flying - falling - he was in heaven.

There you go
Flashing fever from your eyes
Hey babe, come over here and shut down tight

Max knew he needed to slow down if this was to last like he wanted, but his body had other ideas, spurring him on - feeling like if he didn't bury himself inside her now he would suffocate.

He kissed her shoulders, her breasts, anywhere his mouth could reach as Liz ground her hips against his, her heat stroking his hardness. He tilted her back, laying her on the ground as his lips returned to hers.

Liz flinched slightly as the gravel of the cave floor bit into her back. Max saw it and the action served to cool his body enough so that his mind thought of an alternative. He wanted this to be perfect for her.

I'm not denying
We're flying above it all
Hold my hand, don't let me fall
You've such amazing grace
I've never felt this way

Max breathed hard, and knelt back, diving in to kiss her one last time before he stood. He walked further into the cave and waved his hand over the ground, turning the rock into sand the softness of baby powder. Liz leaned up on her hands, watching him, completely unashamed of her bareness from the waist up, as he retrieved the blanket from the pack and laid it over the sand.

Then he turned towards her and held out his hand.

She took it and let him lead her to the blanket. Max knelt before her, his eyes looking on her with a reverence that rivaled any spiritual believer. He placed slow, wet kisses on her stomach. She cupped the back of his head and leaned down for an unhurried kiss. Then Liz fell to her knees as well, in front of him, and his hands cupped her face and his mouth continued to join with hers.

Show me heaven
Cover me
Leave me breathless

The thunder moaned in the sky, but Max didn't hear it. The outside didn't exist. There was no tomorrow. There was only Liz.

Show me heaven please

Liz's fingertips skimmed Max's chest, down his torso, tracing the ridges of his abdomen. She felt him gasp when her hands dipped under his waistband, kneading the skin there, and then with a feather light touch, they came around to his front unbuttoning his jeans. She looked up at him, her big brown eyes filled with trust and adoration, and held his gaze as she laid back on the blanket, her hands slowly unclasping her own pants.

Here I go
I'm shaking just like the breeze
Hey babe I need your hand to steady me

Max's hands trembled as he peeled her pants down her legs, taking her panties with them.

He gazed down at her, bare before him, her breasts hidden beneath her damp hair that fell over her shoulders, while her chest rose and fell rapidly - breathlessly.

She was the most beautiful sight his eyes had ever seen.

On his knees, he removed his own pants, and Liz's eyes devoured him - memorizing every inch of his bronze body - amazed at how his muscles strained with strength, yet his touch was ever so gentle.

A contradiction, just like everything else about him - how he appeared to be a superbly human man, but on the inside his alien DNA gifted him with unearthly powers. How he could order and lead with such self-assuredness, and then turn to her with such doubt and vulnerability in his eyes. How he could frigidly dispatch his enemies, and then touch her with the heat of one hundred flames. And all these conflicts made him who he was - who she was sure he would, from this moment, always be - the love of her life.

He lay down on top of her, covering her warm body with his own. Max moved over her, delighting in the feel of his skin sliding against hers, and settled between the cradle of her thighs.

I'm not denying
I'm frightened as much as you

Liz reached up and touched his face tenderly, delicately tracing his lips with her fingers. It all seemed so simple in that moment. She loved him. Somewhere in her mind she knew they were meant to end up here, since their first meeting. Somehow her heart had known, even then, that she was destined to love him.

Max knew he didn't deserve this. Knew he was unworthy of her, but he was helpless to stop their fate. In some way, he knew he belonged to her - belonged here with her, as she belonged to him, and a part of her, even when they were long since separated always would.

Though I'm barely touching you
I've shivers down my spine
And it feels divine

Max lowered his head to hers, his mouth grazing, brushing hers with a sweet, gentle kiss. And then the kiss turned more sensual, as his tongue entered her mouth. There was no need to ask if she was sure. He knew she was, knew her soul was begging for him to join with her, just as his was pleading for the same.

Show me heaven
Cover me
Leave me breathless
Show me heaven please

Slowly, torturously, he entered her and his eyes squeezed shut from pleasure as he felt her wet warmth wrap around him.

She felt him deep within her, filling her and nothing in her life had ever felt so perfect, so right.

Max continued to kiss her, licking, nibbling on her lips, as he withdrew to the tip and entered her again, with long slow strokes.

Liz's hips rose up to meet his as he thrust again. She wrapped her legs around his hips, her moans echoing off the walls of the cave, joining his. She was lost in him - offering everything she had, her body, her heart, her soul.

And he took it all, giving himself to her in return. He had never felt like this. He wanted to be her master and her slave. He wanted her to own him, and never release him. He was at her mercy, just where he wanted to be.

Of their own accord, his thrusts came faster, their hips quickened, clashing, grinding, taking and giving paradise with every movement.

Max felt the tingling in his spine, high in his thighs and he knew the end was near. He wrapped his arms under her shoulder blades, cradling the back of her head with his hands, raising her up to meet his mouth - his eyes, now open, capturing hers.

If you know what it's like
To dream a dream
Baby hold me tight
And let this be your…heaven

Liz felt herself climbing as Max moved inside her again and again. Each push of his hips sending her higher, higher - and then she was falling, crying out his name as she stared into his eyes - those beautiful eyes. As she fell, Max's arms were around her, clasping her to him, holding her.

He heard his name on her lips, and Max felt like he was floating on the sound of her voice. He felt Liz's walls grip him, tighten around him, and he was gone, thrusting forward one last time, emptying himself within her.

Cover me
Leave me breathless

As they came down, the kisses returned to gentle nips, both savoring the moment. Max withdrew, but kept his arms around her, each part of their bodies - their chests, stomachs, thighs, still touching as he rolled them to lie on their sides.

He pushed the hair back from her face. "I love you, Liz." He confessed, the words ripped from somewhere deep inside him. He never thought he would know what those words meant - never thought he could feel them. But he did - for her.

Somehow, those simple words felt inadequate. He wanted to tell her more but anything that came to his mind paled in comparison to how he felt, so he said, "More…more than I could ever, ever tell you."

Liz heard the ragged tears in his voice, the sincerity of his words. She held his face, and looked deep into his eyes. She felt the tears well in her own eyes as she smiled at him, leaned into him and whispered, "Then show me."

Show me heaven please
trulov
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Falling Dominoes (CCw/UC Adult) 11/8 Part 36 pg8

Post by trulov »

Hello all! Again no time for individual feedback today - sorry. But i wanted to leave this part with you and say
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU, for all your comments on the previous part. I am touched and delighted that you liked it - i'm sooo not confident writing the sexy stuff (contrary to this next part)so it means a lot that you enjoyed it. Sadly, i must warn you, the good feelings won't last long - so enjoy them while you can. Dark skies are coming and i don't mean the rain!

Anyway - here you go - its a long one!

Chapter 37

The cave was quiet, save for the sound of the steady rain that continued to fall outside. Max lay behind Liz, her back pulled close against his chest as he affectionately kissed her neck and nibbled on her shoulder.

"Are you sleeping?" he asked.

"Nope." Liz said. She knew she shouldn't feel this content - knew that there were problems and complications and heartache waiting for her outside the cave walls. But lying there, in Max's arms, she could not seem to feel anything but happiness.

"Are you sleepy?" she asked.

"Are you kidding? With that image of you naked on the blanket, burned into my brain? I don't think I'll ever be able to fall asleep again." Max answered with a smile in his voice. He felt his arousal start to stir once more as his words brought the picture of her to his mind.

They fell silent a few moments more until Liz commented, "I love thunder storms."

"You do?"

"Yeah. I know some people are afraid of the lightening and the thunder and the wind, but I've always loved it. It makes me feel…safe for some reason - protected. Does that make me weird?"

"Definitely." Max teased, and then they fell silent again.

"We should head back soon, shouldn't we?" Liz asked with trepidation.

"Not yet. After the storm."

"Do you think it will work now? The connection?" Liz asked quietly.

Max sighed, inhaling the scent of her hair. It smelled like rain and earth, like the wind on a fall day.

He didn't want to think about the scion. He didn't want anything intruding on the cocoon of normalcy they had built in the last hours. He wanted to indulge himself just a bit longer, and imagine that what they shared was safe and real and lasting. But still he answered, "Probably."

"Should we…" She was going to ask if he wanted to try accessing the scion, feeling so close to him in the afterglow of their lovemaking, but he cut her off.

"No. No, I don't want to. I don't want to talk about it. Not yet." And then he kissed her neck, to smooth over his abruptness. "Let's just…be. I just want to lay here with you, just a bit longer - while we can." And he pulled her tighter against him.

"Can we have a fire?" She asked.

"We can try." Max said as he rose to gather rocks. He quickly arranged them in a circle, while Liz found some dry kindling and leaves on the cave floor, both unconcerned with their nakedness.

Max stared at what could be a campfire, raising his eyebrows, "Matches are going to be a problem."

Liz looked at him, slightly confused, "You mean you can't?" And she waved her hand over the sticks to mimic him using his powers.

"Not unless you want the whole cave to become a fireball. I'm an alien Liz, not a member of the Fantastic Four." Max joked, his mouth watering as she stood there in all her bare glory. He suddenly wanting to forget the fire, there were so many other more enjoyable ways to stay warm.

Liz caught the heat in his gaze, saw his eyes rake over her, and she felt herself grow wet in response.

But still, she wanted a fire.

She remembered something in her pack suddenly and went to retrieve it. "It's a good thing I have powers of my own then." She joked as she walked back to him. She held up her hand, and struck the lighter she had packed as a last minute thought, "Flame on."

Max took the lighter, and within minutes a warm solid fire was burning, illuminating the cave in a soft orange glow. He settled back on the blanket as Liz stood before him, with lust in her eyes. She straddled his lap, coating his length with her wetness, rubbing herself against him, enjoying the friction.

"My hero." She whispered as she kissed his jaw, his neck. "You're like my very own personal cave man…my Adam."

Max moaned as she rose up and he effortlessly slipped inside her. With his arms around her back, pulling their chests together, he relished the feel of her breasts, her hard nipples against him. "I guess that makes you Eve." He panted.

Liz rose and fell slowly, drawing out the pleasure. "That's us," she whispered, "Adam and Eve, the only two people on earth. Sounds nice, doesn't it?"

"God, Liz." Max moaned, unable to stand her torturous pace anymore. He thrust up hard, burying himself to the hilt, as his pushed her down, his hands on her shoulders.

She rose up and crashed back down on him, their pace faster now, harder, wilder. She leaned back as he thrust up into her, and his mouth attacked her neck, her breasts.

"Max." She whimpered, knowing she was already close, right there on the edge, wanting him to come with her. "Max, Max." She chanted again, as she continued to rise and fall on him, her inner walls gripping him tight, like a fist.

"Liz!" Max called out, and then pulled her to him hard, his mouth colliding with hers as intense pleasure rippled through his body.

When Liz felt him let go, her own climax tore through her and the scream of his name was muffled by their kiss. Her whole body tightened around him, her hands splayed across his shoulder blades as the rapture went on and on.

When the pleasure finally subsided, and his strength drained, Max lay back, pulling Liz with him, her limp form covering him, her head resting on his chest. With their bodies utterly spent, and the heat of the fire lulling them, Max kissed Liz's forehead and in moments they both fell into a deep exhausted sleep.

An hour later, Max still lay on his back on the blanket, Liz tucked securely to his side. His closed eyelids began to move in REM sleep.

In the dream, Max was right where he wanted to be - buried deep inside Liz's warmth as they lay on their sides, him behind her. He loved this position as it gave him open access and free range to touch every part of her. And he did. His hands roamed to cup her breasts, to taunt and squeeze her nipples, making her cry out. Then his palm traveled down her stomach, and his fingers rubbed the bundle of nerves between her legs, beneath her dark curls. All the while he pumped in and out of her as she moaned and keened, "Don't stop. Ahh, don't stop, Max."

"I won't." He heard himself say as he grabbed her thigh and lifted it, so as to plunge even deeper. "I won't stop. Jesus Liz, I'm going to fuck you all night." He swore, closing his eyes, sinking into the moist heat that felt so god damn good.

And then he opened his eyes, and froze. There was a man, sitting on a rock across from them, watching them.

It was Grant Sorrenson.

When Max stilled, dream Liz stopped as well, and Max glanced down at her to see her eyes now closed in sleep - her hand tucked under her head, her legs curled into a fetal position. He looked up back to the rock, thinking he had woken, but Sorrenson's face still stared back at him - his face streaked with the blood that leaked from his nose and ears.

"Did you think it would be this simple, Max? Did you think you could finally open your human side, and every awful thing you've ever done would be forgiven? Some things are unforgivable, Max - unfixable."

Max swallowed, fear and guilt churning within him, making him feel sick, "I'm…I'm sorry." He whispered.

And he was, desperately so.

The specter of Sorrenson laughed at his apology, "Well, that just makes me feel so much better then - Thanks." And then his face turned angry, his eyes glowing a ghostly green, turning the bright red blood on his face to black. "You don't know what sorry is, Max. But you will, I promise."

And then the figure changed, morphing into someone else, as Max lay there, too shocked to move, his arm draped across Liz's chest and stomach protectively. The shape took a form - Kal Langley's form.

Langley's face looked back at Max, not in anger now, but in pity. And when he opened his mouth to speak, crimson blood poured out. "It's simple physics Max. Action…reaction. It's about consequences. And you have some serious consequences coming your way. They're the price you have to pay for what you're feeling right now - your happiness. That's something you have no right to feel, and the costs will be high Max. Very high."

And then Langley was gone - vanishing. And Max looked down at Liz as she lay beside him, now on her back. His mouth opened in horror as her eyes opened - they were black - as black as death - staring unseeingly at him. Blood flowed from her ears and nose and eyes and mouth covering her face as she said, "The cost just might be too much for you to bare."

Max shot up from the blanket with a shout, pulled from the nightmare by terror coursing through his veins and his heart pumping like a wild animal in his chest.

Immediately he turned to Liz, running his hands over her still sleeping form, checking her for injuries, making sure she was okay. His breath still came out in pants, the dream shaking him to the core, disturbing him as he had never been.

Was it a premonition of things to come? A warning? Or just his own subconscious projecting the guilt he felt over his past, how undeserving he still felt to be sharing this time with Liz?

He looked on her in sleep, so calm and lovely, her skin alight from the fire that still burned. In that moment Max vowed he would not let the dream come to pass. The incarnation he saw of her in the dream would not be.

He would do anything, give anything, and give up everything, to prevent it.

He lay back down beside her, wrapping his arms, his legs around her tightly, as if he could shield her, protect her, from the dangers that lay in wait outside the walls of the cave.

A few hours later, the storm passed, and the rain stopped. Max had begrudgingly woken Liz and they journeyed by flashlight back to the car. Familiar with their surroundings, Max led the way, every one of his senses on high alert as they walked back to the car, the horror of his dream still weighing heavily on him.

At some point in the night, Liz had called Kal and explained the situation, assuring him repeatedly that she was safe, but wouldn't be returning anytime soon because of the storm. It was around four o'clock in the morning when Max pulled into the parking lot of the motel, the suite dark.

Max had intended to walk Liz in, to be sure she reached her bed safely, but Liz held him captive with her lips outside the door to the suite. "Come in with me." She begged, not yet wanting the night to end.

Max forced himself to pull back from her mouth and weakly argue, "Langley already despises me. I don't want to give him just cause to hate me any more than he does."

Wickedly, Liz smiled, "You could come to my window. Like Romeo. You could stay till the sun rises, and he'll never know you were there. I'm awake now, Max. What will I do all alone, in that big soft bed, until morning?"

Max smiled as he willingly gave in to her temptations, "Okay. Go inside, I'll meet you at the window." He said, not really wanting to leave her – well, ever. But certainly not until the light of day - not after that awful dream.

Liz smiled and kissed him one last time, before letting herself in the front door of the suite. Pleased with himself, Max backed down the steps and turned to go around the back of the motel, looking forward to having Liz to himself, in her bed, for a few more hours.

That's when he saw Michael's familiar form leaning against his car.

Sobered by the sight, Max walked towards him, and stood awaiting his friend's judgment. But no curses or condemnation came from Michael. Just the hushed question, "What are you doing, Max?"

Max looked away, searching for the right words to answer him, but unable to find them.

Again Michael asked, "Max. What are you doing?" He uncrossed his arms and stood accusingly across from his friend, his brother. "You were always the one, Max. I've followed you because you were steady and calm. I trusted you. And Tess trusted you. And now you're throwing everything away for a piece of…"

"Don't." Max warned, his eyes flashing at the insult before it was uttered. "Don't finish that sentence, Michael. It's not like that."

"Then what is it, Max? True fucking love?" Michael scoffed.

Max's eyes softened and he looked at the ground, "What if it is?" He said softly, "What if I told you that's exactly what it is."

Michael shook his head slightly, the slouch of Max's shoulders somehow calming his rising anger - turning it to sympathy. "Then I'd tell you I'm sorry, Max. I'm sorry because you have put yourself in a no-win situation. And everyone's going to get crushed because of it."

Max nodded, acknowledging the truth of Michael's observation.

"Have you tried to connect with her again?" Michael asked.

"I've tried, twice. It didn't work…then." Max confessed.

"But it will sure as hell work now, I bet." Michael commented. "And you haven't tried it again - since you two…?"

"No. Not since." Max answered.

"You need to end this Max. And not just because of us and Tess. Because if you care about that girl, at all, the longer you keep her here, the more dangerous it is."

Michael pointed towards the suite as he spoke. And then a disturbing thought occurred to him, "But you already know that, don't you? You'd rather ignore what you have to do - what's right? For…for what? So you and Liz can play house for a few more days?"

Max said nothing.

Michael shook his head at his friend's stubbornness and selfishness. "End it Max. For all of us - Liz too. Or one of these days, Nicolas is going to end it for you." And with that, Michael turned and walked away, knowing if he stayed his anger would get the better of him.

It wasn't that he didn't understand - he did - sadly - all too well. His afternoon with Maria had been sweet torture, but he hadn't crossed the line. It - he - wasn't safe. And that had been the only thought that had kept him from giving in and falling into Maria.

The idea that knowing her, being close to her, would bring her to the attention of their enemies. That she could be hurt, or worse, because of who - what - he was. That was something Michael knew he would never be able to live with or forgive himself for.

Max was being careless, selfish, and it was his job as second in command to bring him back to his focus, though this was the first time Michael could recall ever having to do it.

It was his job - his duty - to watch Max's back, even if he was too far gone to watch it himself.

As Michael left, Max felt torn, split, his emotions pulling him in two opposite directions. He felt guilty because of his actions - his betrayal of Tess, knowing he was putting his own desires before the needs of the group.

But then there was elation too - the pure delight and wonder that Liz could and did love him, that he knew he loved her in return. And of course there was the pleasure - so heightened, so intensely incredible - that physically expressing those feelings brought for both himself and Liz. It was something he and Tess had never, ever shared - something he now knew they never could or would experience.

Max looked to the still dark sky.

Tomorrow.

Tomorrow he would connect with Liz.

But tonight she was his - this time was theirs. And he would enjoy it - he would give her all he had - all he could - just for tonight.

With thoughts of Liz in his mind, Max jogged to the back of the building, to Liz's window, where he knew she was waiting for him. Waiting with open arms.
trulov
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Falling Dominoes (CCw/UC Adult) 11/12 Part 37 pg9

Post by trulov »

Hey guys - Thank you so much for your feedback. I'm thrilled you're liking the last few parts. Here's a nice lovey part too - enjoy them - really. Dark days are coming soon!

Thanks

Chapter 38

In high school, Max had been assigned to read The Tragedy of Romeo and Juliet, and like the good student he was, read it he did. He had been able to discuss it, write a book report about it, and argue the finer points of the play, but he had never really understood it.

He hadn't, at the time, the empathy to understand why Romeo couldn't have built a new life for himself after being banished from Verona. Why Juliet hadn't been able to accept her father's wishes and build a friendly partnership of a marriage with Paris. Why Romeo couldn't just stay put when told that Juliet had died - she was dead, after all - it wasn't like he could bring her back. He had been able to explain that the reason these things weren't possible was because Romeo and Juliet had been in love - but although he could explain it - he still hadn't understood it.

Not until that morning.

Not until the moment, so much like Shakespeare's play, when the sun streamed in through the window, piercing his eyes and waking him, signaling it was time for him to leave.

Then he understood.

Max closed his eyes against the light and wrapped his body around Liz's equally naked one. His nose buried in her neck, she no longer smelled of fall, but the more enticing scent of sex and sweat and him. He didn't want to leave. He didn't want to start a new day - possibly the last day he would have her.

"Maaaxxx." Liz whispered, "The sun is up - Kal will be up."

Max smiled into her neck, beneath her hair and said, "That's not the sun... Go back to sleep."

"Okay." Liz readily agreed, pulling his arm tight against her chest. "I'm not the one who was worried about a certain shape shifter blasting my ass into oblivion."

Max opened his eyes and sighed, "Good point, Juliet."

"What?"

"Never mind, just something I was thinking about." Max said as he rolled her over and kissed her lips. "Okay, I'll go. But I'm coming back. Two hours. Be ready to go."

Liz's brows lifted, "Where are we going?"

He whispered close to her ear, making her shiver, "It's a surprise."

She turned into him, rubbing herself against him and asked, "Will this adventure end as pleasantly as yesterday's did?"

Max closed his eyes and groaned, "Definitely possible."

Liz kissed him and said, "You're going to spoil me."

Max kissed her forehead and touched her face, "That's the plan." He kissed her once more and stood from the bed, his overworked muscles protesting at the movement as he dressed and crossed to the window.

Liz followed him, wrapping the bed sheet around her. Max turned to her, kissed her yet again, softly and slowly, a kiss for her to remember him while he was gone. "Two hours." He reminded her, "I'll be back then - with coffee."

Max climbed out the window and turned back to face her, just before reaching the corner of the building that would lead to the front, where his car was parked. He waved to her as she watched from the window, and mouthed, "I love you."

She said it back aloud, though he couldn't hear her. And when he turned the corner out of sight, she said, recalling a line from her favorite play, "Be fickle fortune; for then, I hope, thou will not keep him long. But send him back." And with that, Liz backed away from the window and turned towards the bathroom to shower and dress.

Back at his house, Max stepped under the shower spray of the scalding water. His muscles ached from overuse but he couldn't stop the smile that spread across his face as he recalled the activities that had resulted in his soreness.

He gave himself a moment to indulge the joy he felt in his chest. He loved Liz Parker - was completely, unquestionably head over heels in love with her. Knowing that was a glorious feeling.

He remembered Liz's sighs, her breathy moans of his name, how she had held onto him so tightly - like she'd never wanted to let go. It had been an amazing night - a life- changing, heart-stopping night.

But now it was over.

His smile faded as he thought of his conversation in the parking lot with Michael. He was being self-centered, he knew. And it had to stop. Liz had pledged to be satisfied with twelve days - but Max knew he couldn't even give her two. They'd had their moment, their time, but for all their sakes, he knew it had to end today.

He would do his duty - access the scion - which he was sure would open to him now. He would find the way to the Granolith, and Liz would leave with Langley. He tried to ignore the constriction in his throat at the thought. It was what had to be. There were no other options - not for him.

She would go and live the life she was meant to have - the life she deserved. A life filled with security, safety and love - with a human man who would worship her and the half dozen children she craved. The kind of life he would never, ever be able to give her.

Max stepped from the shower considerably less light-hearted than when he'd entered it. He felt like a lead weight was sitting in his stomach. As he dressed in a fresh pair of jeans and a black t-shirt, he tried to cheer himself with the plan he had for himself and Liz for the day. He knew just where he would take her - had wanted to take her since he'd seen the sign yesterday morning. He was sure she would love it, and it would give them more memories to hold onto, to cherish, when they both were forced to go their separate ways.

His pants not yet buttoned in his haste to get back to Liz - to take advantage of every minute they had left - Max grabbed his wallet and keys and shoes near the front door.

It was then that Tess walked through it.

Max looked up at her as she placed her purse on the table and rubbed her eyes wearily. She really was lovely, he thought. But he knew he could never give her what he now - finally - understood she'd always wanted from him.

She'd wanted him to love her.

And sadly, Max knew he never would. His heart belonged to Liz - and it always would, even when they were worlds apart.

And the guilt crashed over him like a tidal wave. He hadn't thought of Tess - had not hesitated because of her - not once - during the time he'd been with Liz. And here he was now, ready to rush past her, overlook her, to get back to Liz as soon as he could.

He was a bastard.

"Hey." Tess greeted.

"Hi." Max's smile was tight.

Tess plopped unceremoniously onto the couch, prompting Max to ask, "Long night?"

"Ugg, the worst. I covered in the ER again. The police brought in two abandoned babies - twins. Someone just left them on the street in a cardboard box - like a litter of puppies. And in that awful storm, no less." Tess' brow furrowed, "Who could do that, Max? What kind of monster could just throw away two little babies like that?"

"I don't know, Tess. Are they going to be alright?" He asked.

"Thankfully, yes. We treated them for exposure and hypothermia. Social services is going to take them in a few days. They're sure they'll find a home for them - but probably not together." Tess shook her head sadly in disillusionment.

"That's terrible." Max said.

"Yeah." Tess answered, just noticing the shoes in his hand, "Are you on your way out?"

"Oh - yeah - I was just going…" Max couldn't bring himself to say Liz's name to Tess - the guilt eating him up inside.

"It's just as well. I'm beat. I'm going to shower and just crash into bed for the next eight hours." Tess smiled tiredly.

Max stilled, his face becoming very serious, very sincere and he said softly, "I'm sorry Tess. So sorry." Sorry I'm lying to you. Sorry I'll never make you happy. Sorry I'll never be the man you want me to be.

Tess shrugged, dismissing the words that held so much double meaning, "Don't worry about it, Max. I'm not really in the mood for breakfast anyway."

Max nodded and had to look away when she smiled. He swore to himself then that when they reached Antar, he would spend the rest of his life trying to make it up to her. He would never stray again - he would be the ideal husband, even if his heart would never be in it, and his soul would still be here on earth. But he would try - try to make her as happy as he could.

Max didn't think his opinion of himself could drop any lower.

"Hey?" Tess said with concern, "Are you okay? You look a little pale."

And then it did.

The self hatred burned in his throat like acid. He was scum - and now she was asking him how he was.

The worst part was although he felt bad, Max couldn't bring himself to regret a single moment with Liz.

"I'm fine." He assured, "Just tired." He lied. He'd never lied to her in his life. And he promised himself that after today, he would never have a reason to lie again.

Max put his shoes on - he had to get out of the house. "I'll be out most, if not all of the day, Tess. We're…close. I think this whole thing will be over soon."

"Really?" She said with more enthusiasm than he'd seen from her in weeks, "That's great, Max - really great. And I'm on again tonight anyway - so I'll most likely be back at the hospital by the time you get in."

Max nodded, and then leaned down and kissed her forehead, "Bye Tess. You get some sleep, okay?"

"Sure, Max." Tess replied, warmed by his actions, his concern, right down to her toes.

And then he left.

Tess pulled herself from the couch and into the shower, washing away the gloom her night in the ER had bestowed upon her. As she brushed her wet hair, she heard a knock at the door. Wrapping her robe tightly around her, she wondered if Max had forgotten his key.

But it wasn't Max at the door.

When she opened it, Nasedo walked inside without invitation - like he always did - like he owned the place. And he looked Tess over as he always had - like he owned her as well.

Tess didn't know what he wanted – or why the protector was here. Since she'd grown into adulthood - since they'd found the other three, he'd paid her less and less mind and focused mostly on Max - showering his attention on Max and at times, Michael.

Which was fine with Tess. Even having been raised by the man, he made Tess uncomfortable, his expressions or lack-there-of, his way of thinking, disturbing her more than she cared to admit.

"Nasedo?" Tess questioned, "Max isn't here."

He turned to observe his little Queen thoughtfully for a moment and then said, "Yes, I know. I'm here for you, Tess. We need to talk."

"Are you going to give me a hint? A little one?" Liz asked as she sat in the passenger seat of Max's car. The sky was crystal clear and blue, the wind that blew through the windows crisp and fresh.

"Nope. You'll just have to wait and see." Max teased with a smile, thinking not for the first time since he'd picked her up, just how pretty she looked, with her hair falling down her back in a shiny cascade, and the brisk autumn air bringing a blush to her cheeks that wouldn't fade.

After leaving the house, Max made a conscious effort to leave his guilt in regards to Tess behind. Upon seeing Liz, it hadn't been a difficult thing to do. When he was with her, it was difficult to think about anything but her.

"Will it take long to get there?" Liz asked, trying to figure out their destination.

"Not very long." Max answered mysteriously.

And then Liz leaned over in the seat and whispered seductively in his ear, "I bet I could make you to tell."

The heat rose in Max's eyes, not sure what she was alluding to, but liking the idea of Liz doing all she could to persuade him to do anything. He licked his lips and said, "I bet you can't."

"I have very strong powers of persuasion" Liz whispered, as her hand traveled down his chest, rubbing his inner thigh, "But I've never had to try this…hard," and then her hand was on his groin, his jeans already tight with arousal, "before. Let's see if I can make you talk."

And with that, Liz kissed his ear and his neck, while her hand undid his jeans. Once she freed him from the constraints of his clothing, she lowered her head with a devilish smile and proceeded to run her tongue up and down his shaft, licking him from base to tip.

She had never been this adventurous - this much of a sex fiend. But it seemed with Max, now that she knew what it was like to have him and be had by him, she couldn't keep her hands to herself. And then there was the constant though unspoken knowledge that their time together was short - was not limitless, and so she didn't want to keep her hands off of him.

She heard him moan, and looked up to see him fighting to keep his eyes open and on the road. "Do you give?" She asked from down in his lap.

"No way." Max panted, his grip tightening painfully on the steering wheel.

"Guess I'll just have to try harder." Liz said, her breath tickling him, making him twitch. And then she took him in her mouth, sucking him, pulling him in deep. She rose up and down, over and over, caressing him with her tongue as she did.

"Christ, Liz," She heard him say, "You're going to get us killed." He wanted nothing more than for her to continue,but he was afraid of the very real possibility that he would crash into a tree if she did.

And then she was on him again, and he couldn't think of anything except how her hot wet mouth felt so fucking incredible. He felt himself tighten, ready to explode at any second.

Then Liz suddenly stopped.

The heat of her mouth was gone, the breeze feeling cold from the moisture that remained on him, and he begged, "Don't stop, Liz. Please don't."

"Well that depends on you. Ready to tell me where we're going?" She asked, her head still in his lap.

"Carnival." Max caved, putty in her hands, or in this case, her mouth. "There's a small carnival up the road. Ferris Wheels, Fun Houses, cotton candy - I thought…I thought you would like it."

Even before they had become lovers, Max had seen the sign in town, and immediately warmed to the idea. A Carnival seemed innocent, care-free - something they might have done for fun if they had known each other since childhood, if they had grown up together and dated as teenagers.

He wanted to ride the roller coaster with Liz and hear her scream. He wanted to win her a teddy bear at one of the game booths - an area where most proud human males chose to show off for their girls. He wanted to hold her hand on the ferris wheel. He wanted to see her smile and laugh and be childish and silly with her - even if it would just be for this one day.

"Mmmm." She hummed and Max felt the vibrations against him, his head falling back against the seat. "I will. And now you get your reward." She said just before she engulfed him in her mouth again, bobbing slow at first, and then faster, her lips tighter, sucking harder.

Moments later, Max cursed in a strangled cry, as he came hard, erupting, pumping into her mouth, and she took all he had to give.

When she felt him go limp, she released him, and adjusted his pants while he continued to drive, slowing now that the fair was in sight.

Liz sat up with a victorious smile and drank her coffee, feeling worked up herself by her actions, but at the same time satisfied by how good she could make him feel.

Max was speechless for a few minutes, still recovering, but as he parked the car he turned to her and said, "I will be getting you back for that."

And then he kissed her hard and long.

Liz pulled back from him and said, "Is that a threat or a promise?"

Max stared into her eyes, the look on his face making her shiver, "It's a promise. Definitely a promise."

The promise made, they both got out of the car and walked hand in hand to the carnival.

Song - Matt Nathan son - Come on Get Higher

I miss the sound of your voice
And I miss the rush of your skin
And I miss the still of the silence
As you breathe out and I breathe in

Two hours later Max and Liz had enjoyed all the small carnival had to offer. They had ridden the merry-go-round, Liz atop a unicorn, Max sitting on a Lion. They were oblivious to the stares of the children on the ride, who wondered what the two old people were smiling about.

They ate funnel cake, and Liz had laughed when Max scratched his face, leaving a streak of powdered sugar behind. She bit her lip and wiped it from his face, licking it off her finger in a way Max found very seductive.

If I could walk on water
If I could tell you what's next
Make you believe
Maybe forget

Max had insisted on playing a pitching game. When three milk bottles were knocked down, a large brown bear was won. Max handed it to Liz after his third try, proud that he had not used a bit of his powers to get it.

And they had finally discovered a game that Max could beat Liz at - ski ball. They played several rounds, Max scoring higher than Liz each time, after which he pestered her unmercifully until she admitted he was "The Best - King of all ski ball."

So come on get higher, loosen my lips
Faith and desire and the swing of your hips
Just pull me down hard
And drown me in love
Just pull me down hard
And drown me in love

Sitting side by side on the wooden bench of the Ferris wheel as it took them high into the air, Liz enjoyed the view of the desert when they paused at the top.

But Max was too busy looking at Liz, committing her beauty to memory to notice the landscape.

When his hand covered hers, lacing their fingers together, she turned to him and lost her breath. He was so handsome, his dark hair falling over his forehead, his eyes lively and warm.

She took a moment to look at him and said, "Tell me something I don't know about you."

"Like what?" Max asked, unable to think of anything she didn't know.

"I don't know," Liz shrugged, "Anything."

I miss the sound of your voice
The loudest thing in my head
And I ache to remember
All the violent, sweet
Perfect words that you said

Max looked down at the carnival in thought, and then, still clasping her hand as the ride began to move, said, "When I was eleven my parents bought me a mountain bike. I loved it. I'd ride all over our neighborhood, out to the desert. Sometimes Michael would come with me, but he would have to borrow Isabel's, and it was pink so he took issue with that. Most of the time it was just me. And I would walk it up the steepest hill I could find, and ride straight down. It was amazing. I didn't worry, didn't think - about anything. I'd just go as fast as I could down the hill. Like I was flying. It's the closest to happy I ever remember being as a kid."

If I could walk on water
If I could tell you what's next
I'd make you believe
I'd make you forget

Liz smiled softly, liking the story, picturing a younger Max on his bike riding around the desert. "I know what you mean." She answered. "When I was ten Kal took me skiing in Colorado. Have you ever been to Colorado?"

Max shook his head.

"It's beautiful. Just white as far as you can see - everything always looks clean and new. So, we stayed at this resort and I didn't take any lessons because Kal wanted to teach me himself. And we get to the top of this hill, which I later found out was an expert hill. And Kal's explaining to me how to slow down, use my polls, turn side to side. And before he's done talking, I just went for it. Straight down, non-stop. I think I scared the hell out of him at first - he thought I was going to break my neck or hit a tree or something. But I wasn't scared at all. I felt like I was soaring off the mountain - it was…magical. When we got to the bottom, I thought he was going to flip out - but he looked… proud, instead. I think he was proud that I could surprise him, that I was so not afraid. Anyway, after that there were no more lessons, we just kept going and going until I thought my toes were frozen."

Just pull me down hard
And drown me in love
Just pull me down hard
And drown me in love

"I've seen pictures of Colorado," Max offered, "It does look beautiful."

Without thinking, Liz said, "We should go one day." And then to try and cover her mistake, "I mean...you should go one day...I bet you'd be a great skiier."

"What do you think it would be like, if we did go?" Max asked wistfully. "What would we do? Tell me - even if we never get to do it."

I miss the pull of your heart
I could taste the sparks on your tongue
I see angels and devils
And God when you come on
Hold on, hold on, hold on, hold on

Liz bit her lip, thought a moment and said, "Well, we would vacation there, for a week I guess. Or - no - we could live there, but only during the winter. I'd be a ski instructor - I'd teach the little ones, the beginners. And you…you'd be part of the snow patrol - the medic team. We'd stay in a small but cozy cabin at the top of the hill. I'd get home before you because kids' classes end in the late afternoon, but you'd have to stay on until after dark. I'd start dinner - probably some kind of hot soup - maybe spicy Tabasco soup? And warm bread." Liz's voice took on a soft tone, as she became lost in the fantasy. Max's eyes glazed over as he too was caught up in the dream - picturing every word she said in his mind.

"And you'd come in, chilled to the bone, the snow blowing in the door behind you before you could close it. Your nose would be red from the cold. And we'd have dinner together, by a big bay window, and we'd eat and talk and watch the snow fall. And then I'd run a bath for us. The bathroom would be filled with steam and the scent of jasmine. And we'd soak together, and make love. And then we'd sit on the couch, in front of a huge roaring fire, in fuzzy robes. And we'd drink hot chocolate or coffee with just a bit of Irish Whiskey. And we'd watch the fire and talk some more. Then we'd go to bed, and make love again. We'd sleep bare but it wouldn't matter because we'd keep each other warm."

When she ended the tale, Max had to clear his throat, that had become clogged with emotion and want. How he suddenly, desperately wanted that life she spoke of - simple, normal - a life with her.

"That…" He cleared his throat once more and tried again, "That would be nice."

Liz squeezed his hand tighter, a wave of sadness settling over her, because she could see that dream - the dream of them - so clearly in her mind, but she knew it wasn't meant to be theirs.

And then she shook off the sadness, refusing to be weighted down by what couldn't be.

Just pull me down hard
And drown me in love
Just pull me down hard
And drown me in love

She had now with him - he was here with her - she could touch him, kiss him, see the love in his eyes. She wouldn't waste a minute of it.

As they stepped off the ride, Liz forced a smile that soon became genuine when she saw the sign before her. "Oohh look, The Maze of Mirrors." Max returned her smile and stepped ahead, pulling her by the hand to the entrance. They navigated the labyrinth together, hand in hand - enjoying themselves once again.

Before they exited the maze, just as they reached the end, he couldn't help but take her in his arms for a breath stealing kiss. And all around them were dozens of Max and Liz's - reflections. In each of the mirror images they were entwined, and in love, together and whole.