Falling Dominoes (CCw/UC Adult) [COMPLETE]

This is the gallery for the winners of the fanfic awards to show off their fics, and their banners!

Moderators: Itzstacie, Forum Moderators

trulov
Addicted Roswellian

Falling Dominoes (CCw/UC Adult) [COMPLETE]

Post by trulov »

Winner Round 14

Winner Round 13

Author - trulov
Rating - Adult
Pairing - CC with some UC. I will warn you at the start of those chapters.
Disclosure - I own nothing of Roswell - please don't sue
Note - ANY feedback would be great.
Summary - Instead of going to 16 year old Liz Parker to save the world, future Max goes to someone else, to try and change everyone's lives and prevent the end of the world. THis future Max if from the 1st timeline - the one who cemented the nite of Gomez and came back to Liz - he doesn't know Nasedo and Tess are bad...Also, in this Jeff and Nancy Parker are only children so no aunt in Florida. Thanks for reading!

Chapter 1

The Domino Effect - a simple chain reaction that occurs when a small change causes a similar change nearby, which then will cause another similar change, and so on. The term is used as an analogy to a falling row of dominoes, and typically refers to a linked sequence of events.

Lightening tore through the California sky, but the rain would not come. This was no ordinary thunder storm - this storm had brought a visitor. The thunder blasted and shook the ground beneath his feet, as he stared at the mansion before him.

So Langley had told him the truth. He had been living the dream before the war, before Kivar. Max Evans walked up to the front gate surrounding the huge house and unlocked it with his powers. Confidently he walked to the front door and opened that as well. He was a man on a mission and he didn’t know how much time he had.

He closed the door quietly behind him and walked up the large staircase. He heard the music coming from the room down the hall and followed it - was it Mozart maybe Bach. He slowly opened the door and saw Kal Langley sitting hunched over a file on his desk, a cigar burning in the tray beside him.

“Langley.”

Kal looked up to see the man he had hoped never to meet during his time on this planet. The man he had abandoned as a boy in the sewers of New York - his King. “Zan” he whispered unbelievingly, as he rose to his feet.

But wait - it couldn’t be Zan - it was too soon - the pods weren’t set to hatch for another six years - and this - this warrior before him covered in leather and scars - was a full grown man. But if not his charge then who the hell was he?

“No, I’m not one of the NY set, Kal. I’m Max Evans - from Roswell.”

Max saw the realization dawn on the protector’s face and then the disdain.

“What are you doing here. You’re not my problem. What the hell do you want with me?”

“I came to you because I had no idea how to find the other protector. When we met you told me stories - stories about this” he gestured to the house “you were the only one that I knew who could do what I need.”

“Listen Max - I’ve never met you - and I don’t need to do shit for you.”

Max calmly cut him off “We both know that’s not true. Let’s not waste time.”

His voice completely devoid of emotion he continued, “We meet about thirty years from now - in prison - a month before I get rescued and you get executed. Kivar took over the earth, he decimated everyone, everything. All these things that you value - your human life that you adore so much - he takes it all. I’m here to make sure that does not happen and like it or not you will help me.”

Kal’s closed his lips tightly and begrudgingly said, “What do I have to do.” His Antarian side was switching into soldier mode. This was his King after all, regardless of what time he came from, and he was physically obligated to do as he ordered. Inside he was afraid. Fear was something Kal was completely unfamiliar with, he was usually the one instilling the emotion in others. But now, faced with the possibility of being forced to destroy the life he had so carefully built for himself on this planet, he was swamped with the feeling, but he would never let the man before him know that.

Kal was surprised then when Max held out a piece of paper to him and unfolded it.

“Who is this exactly?”

Max walked around the finely decorated room, admiring the books along the walls. He paused when he saw “Of Mice and Men” on the shelf. He remembered a simpler time so long ago, when he had loved Steinbech. There wasn’t much time to read when you had a war raging around you. He fingered the book and replied, “His name if Jeff Parker. That’s his current address and phone number. He’s got a band.”

Kal held the folded paper out to him, “Sorry kid - I produce films and television - I don’t do musicians.”

“You’ll be branching out.” Max turned and looked the protector in the eyes. “You will manage the band. Bring Jeff Parker, his wife and their baby girl to L.A. Do whatever you have to. Make them successful, watch out for them,” He quietly added, “Especially the little girl.”

Kal eyed Max distrustfully, “And that’s it? How is getting a nothing band started going to stop the destruction of earth?”

“You don’t need to know the details - it just will.”

Max strode towards the door of the office. He had another stop to make - he didn’t know when his actions would change things - when he would cease to exist - and there was one other person he desperately needed to see.

Kal’s sarcastic voice stopped him, “Well okay then, it was nice seeing you again, your Majesty.”

Max looked at the man in front of him with narrowed eyes and angrily ordered, “You will do this and do it well. Make sure the Parkers are always cared for - even if the band for some reason fails. You will protect their daughter and see that she grows up happy and healthy. Do you understand? If you don’t - if you fail me - you will suffer the unpleasant consequences as well, I assure you.” Kal nodded. Before Max walked out the door he stopped and said “And Kal, make sure she stays away from Roswell.”

The last order was an after-thought. Changing the future certainly created unforeseen consequences. The best laid plans….and all that. But of one thing he was certain. If Liz Parker ever went to Roswell, if she ever met Max Evans, this plan would never work. It wouldn’t matter if he met her when he was eight or eighty, once he did, he would grow to love her - and as much as it crushed him to give that up - it was what had to be done.

As Max walked out the door of the mansion, he contemplated ordering Kal to do something about Tess. To be there before Nasedo - to give her a happier life. He dismissed the thought though. Kal was going to take care of Liz. He couldn’t save them both and he needed to keep Liz away from anything alien - other then Kal of course.

He offered an apology to the night for Tess, for the loveless childhood to was leaving her to. He was sorry he couldn’t help her - but he just couldn’t.

As he traveled to his next and most likely final stop he thought, this had to work, it just had to, all their lives depended on it.
Last edited by trulov on Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:40 am, edited 70 times in total.
trulov
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Falling Dominoes (CCw/ some UC Adult) Ch1- 8/7/08

Post by trulov »

Thank you for the feedback!

Chapter 2

Later that night

The thunder roared again, sounding like glass shattering on the floor, as Max took in his surroundings in the small apartment. There was a tattered couch and no TV. In the corner, a cockroach crawled slowly as if it new the occupants of the home were asleep.

In spite of this, the Parkers had done their best to turn the dingy apartment into a home. The windows were clean, with polka dot sheets hung for curtains. Frameless pictures decorated the walls. Max peered at one in the darkness - the one of a new born - taken just six months before.

He went soundlessly down the hall, past the first door where Nancy slept and Jeff snored. He pushed the half closed door at the end of the short hall open and stepped into the room, by the crib.

She was asleep. Her chubby face serene in rest, just a puff of dark hair on her head. Max stared at her and smiled as the tears pooled in his eyes. Is this what their children would have looked like? It was just one of many things they sadly had not been able to do together. Having gotten married so young, they thought they should wait till they were settled, done with school. But then Kivar had attacked and there had been no room for even the thought of a child.

He blinked his eyes to clear his vision, but as the tears streamed down, their siblings took their place. In the distance he heard an ambulance scream as he reached out and stroked the baby’s hand. She was so soft - he’d never felt anything so soft.

And then she slowly opened her eyes and looked right at him. She didn’t cry, but stared, almost knowingly, and for a moment Max couldn’t breath past the lump in his throat. They were her eyes - exactly the same.

Suddenly the weight of what he had done tonight smacked him right in the gut. He would never know those eyes. He would never see her smile or know the joyous invincibility he felt when she turned that smile towards him. He would never know her love. A love so passionate, and unfailing that even during the darkest days of the war, he had actually still felt blessed - lucky - just because she was his wife.

Panic began to beat is his chest at the thought of living - no existing - without her - for growing up without Liz Parker would be no life for him at all. He had to fix this - undo it - go back to Langley’s and tell him to forget it.

And then a picture of Isabel appeared before him.

Isabel - his beautiful, strong sister - dead on the grass, her eyes unseeing, a bright red gash in her throat where the skins had cut her. They had raped her first, and had left her exposed for all the see.

Then he saw Michael - so unbending and loyal - he saw him screaming in pain - crying and writhing as the infected wound in his abdomen festered. They had used a poison when they shot him - something that Max couldn’t heal. He never left Michael’s side while he suffered. He watched Michael break, begging him to get Maria. Max held him tight and told him Maria was waiting for him - and at last, after eight days of agony he had gone to her and was at peace.

Max stared down at the angelic child, but saw them all instead. His parents, Liz’s, whole cities set aflame, he saw the tortures and enslavement and remembered why he was here.

He saw the baby again before him and whispered, “I couldn’t do it Liz, I’m sorry.” He choked back a sob as the tears fell from his cheeks on to the baby’s blanket. “I know what we talked about, what we planned, we had to keep Tess from leaving. But I went there, and I saw you standing in front of your mirror with a veil draped over your head,” he smiled without knowing at the memory, “and I just couldn’t do it. How could I ask you to break your own heart?”

The baby chose that moment to smile at him, and despite the ache in his soul, he couldn’t help but laugh. God he was loosing it - confessing his sins to an infant! Rationally he knew the six month old before him was not his wife. But she was all he had left of his Liz in this world, the only thing he could touch and hold onto that was actually a piece of her. And he needed her now - any part of her.

His whispered declaration continued, “It will be better this way. This way, we’ll never know…we’ll never know what we could have had, what we would have been. You’ll find someone, someone human, and you’ll be happy loving him because you’ll never know…you won’t know the perfection that was us. This way…it will be better.”

He heard the phone ring in the next room and the sleepy voice of Jeff Parker answering. He felt the change - the pull - like the wave tugging on your legs when you stand on the beach, as it returns to the ocean. He hoped wherever he was going, his Liz would be there waiting.

The thunder struck again outside and the room lit with the bluish glow of lightening. He turned back toward the baby. He couldn’t just go - not without…what? He wanted to do something - leave something for her. He didn’t want to just disappear like he had never been, like they had never been. In this rash moment of weakness, he gently laid his thumb on the babies forehead. When he removed it there was a glowing mark and then it was gone.

“Just a memory,” he whispered. Just in case she ever needed it.

“Goodbye Liz,” the pull was stronger now, “I love you, always.”

Nancy Parker couldn’t process what her husband was saying. She was a new mother and sleep deprivation was already eating at her, and here she was at two in the morning while her husband talked about having to get up and pack and be on a plane tomorrow to… somewhere. Something about a manager, the guys in the band, she wasn’t sure.

Nancy turned towards her open door and frowned. Call it mother’s intuition, a sixth sense if you will, she had just gotten the strangest feeling that they were not alone in the apartment. Quickly she got up, wide awake now, and went the few steps to Lizzie’s room. Her daughter was awake and smiling when she glanced in the crib, but when the next burst of lightening hit, she swore she saw the silhouette of a man, by the window. Frightened, she ran to the light. The room was empty, there was no one there.

Waving it off as her imagination she picked up the baby as suddenly Liz began to cry
trulov
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Falling Dominoes (CCw/ some UC Adult) Parts 1-3 8/7/08

Post by trulov »

Chapter 3

7 years later

Kal Langley walked through the door of his home, relieved to finally be there. He’s just suffered an 11 hour flight that had felt like 20. Next time, he reminded himself, he would take the private jet - global warming and all that be damned.

He whisked past the servants up to his private office. He still had a lot of work to do. As he sat down to get started, a voice appeared from the doorway.

“Hello Kalvin.”

A smile came unbidden to his face at the use of what had become an endearment.

“Hello Elizabeth. Why are we not at school today?”

“Oh. Well Kalvin, I overheard Ms. Jensen telling Rosa you’d be home today, so I had her clear my schedule for the day.”

Now a chuckle came from his lips as he took in the dark haired pixie at his desk. She had started calling him “Kalvin” when she was four, explaining that everyone called her Liz, but when she was naughty, they called her Elizabeth. She wanted to know what his “naughty” name was. When he told her he didn’t have one, she created Kalvin, which had now become her daily designation for him.

He had also noticed when she was four, to his delight, that she began to speak like him. The “clear my schedule” comment was all him. He was enchanted by the thought that he could have such an influence on this little person, that she would mimic him at every turn.

He’d had to begin censoring himself, however, when she was five and he passed by her playroom and overheard Malibu Barbie threaten to rip Ken’s balls off if he missed another deadline.

“So what are we going to do today, now that you’re home?”

“Unfortunately, I have work to do.”

“Can I help?” she asked hopefully.

“No.”

“Can I watch?”

“No.”

“Well then, I’ll just do some work too.”

With that, she sat down at the white antique desk, next to his, that he’d gotten her for her birthday. She opened her laptop and began typing.

God she was stubborn. The grumpier he was with her, the more affectionate she was with him. When he shooed her away, she held on tighter, like some crazed little chiwawa.

And he adored her.

Kal had always been intrigued by human things. When he’d first arrived on this planet and rid himself of his charges, he’d sought out all the sensory pleasures this world had to offer. Due to his lack of human DNA, some delights would always be out of his reach. He would never know touch, for example, would never experience the electricity of feeling another’s skin against his own. But, through the years, by suppressing his powers, he had begun to taste and smell strong flavors like lemon and coffee. He enjoyed both immensely.

Emotional senses had never occurred to him. The joy of loving another with your soul and not your body was as alien to him as he was to this planet, and truthfully he’d had no interest in developing those feelings.

And then he’d had his midnight visitor and everything had changed.

He was sure when his time traveling King had come to him, he did not know that he would ultimately be placing the care of the Parkers’ little girl in the protectors hands. He could not have known that both Jeff and Nancy would be killed, just a month in L.A., in a car wreck on their way to the band’s first big gig. He would not have foreseen that Claudia Parker, Liz’s only relative, would pass away of a stroke, just two months after the death of her only son.

These events had left baby Liz all alone. Had it not been for the orders of his King, he would have let the child go to foster care - she was not really his problem after all. But the Kings orders were clear - he was to make sure she grew up healthy and happy - and the most efficient way to do that was to take responsibility for her himself. And so he had made her his ward.

At first Kal left her care to the nannies. Wanting nothing to do with the bothersome little human, he avoided her at all costs. When she was a year and a half she had wobbled out of her nursery, and he found her at the top of the stairs, moments from tumbling over and most likely joining her parents. Kal’s biological imperative kicked into hyper-drive and he raced down the hall and scooped her up - a heart he didn’t have - pumping wildly in his chest at the thought of her being injured.

When he scooped her up she looked him dead in the face, smiling, and said “KAL!” and he was a goner. It had been her first word. He told himself, from then on, that his interest in her was purely scientific. Surely she was a genius. Surely not all human children could be so smart, so inquisitive, so, well…wonderful.

Quickly, he had become addicted to the emotions she invoked in him, as addicted as he was to the tastes and smells of his lemons - feelings- that he had once spurned. Pride in her accomplishments, joy when she was happy, the need to protect her from the evil of this world and others, and even the ache that came when she was injured or sick or sad. And in the end, he recognized the emotion, as a whole, was love. He loved this little human creature more then any of his possessions or his power, and she loved him in return. That was the most rewarding aspect of his life - an aspect he was sure - Max Evans had never planned for.

Kal was pulled from his thoughts by the sound of her voice.

“So, where did you go this time?” she asked already knowing the answer.

“London.”

Liz had read about London in one of the travel books Kal kept in his office. Big Ben, Buckingham Palace. She had wanted to go with him, but this time, Kal said she couldn’t miss school.

“Did you…get me anything?” Still sitting at her desk Liz looked sideways at her guardian.

“Did I get Liz anything. Did I get Liz anything?” Kal made a show of contemplating the question and tapping his pockets as if to look for something. Liz raised her eyebrows at him and he knew his act wasn’t working.

“Oh, that’s right. I did get you a little something. I think its - that’s right - its in the back yard.”

“The backyard?” Liz’s eyes opened wide with excitement, “Well let’s go see it!”

She grabbed his hand and dragged him downstairs, through the kitchen to the backyard.

Then she froze at the sight before her.

It was a playhouse. But not just any playhouse. It was a castle playhouse, complete with domed towers, flying flags and a balcony! Liz didn’t say a word, as she stared open mouthed at her latest gift.

Kal began to wonder if she didn’t like it.

“Wait - there’s more - watch.” He brought around to the rear of the castle. Jutting out from the back was a giant key, as big as Liz herself. He turned the key and the twinkling sounds of “Some day my prince will come” floated around them.

Kal knelt down next to Liz as her silence continued. Tentatively he asked, “Do you like it Liz?”

Did she like it? Did she like it? Breaking out of her trance she shouted “I LOVE it!”

Although Liz always got the feeling Kal didn’t like her to touch him- he always sort of stiffened when she did - this time she couldn’t help herself. She threw her arms around his neck and yelled, “Thank you, thank you Kal - it’s beautiful!!”

Without thought Liz turned and kissed her guardian, the only family she had ever known, on the cheek. Although Kal couldn’t feel her kiss on his face, he felt it with his heart.
trulov
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Falling Dominoes (CCw/ some UC Adult) Part 4 8/9/08

Post by trulov »

Thanks so much for your feedback - it inspires me to keep writing!

Nibbles2 - yes, it was a selfish decision - and not well planned out. When Max saw Liz, and realized he couldn't go through with the plan - he came up with an alternative plan - based on emotion - it is yet to be seen if his was a better plan. He'd also leaving a lot up to chance - remember - no Liz - no orbs - no Nasedo - it's all "yet to be determined."

Getoverit - Thank you.

CHAPTER 4

About one thousand miles from where Liz Parker was discovering her castle, a quiet dark haired boy was riding a bus, to start what he was sure would be the most awkward and hellish day of his young life.

His sister, Isabel sat bouncing with excitement next to him in her brand new, “first day of school clothes” Mrs. Evans had bought for her. She couldn’t wait to get to school. To finally be around kids her own age, to finally feel normal.

Max, on the other hand saw school as a place where he would have to further repress his words and actions. Where he’d have to be extra cautious at hiding who - or more to the point - what - he was. Living in the Evans’ house so far had been fine - much better then the group home they had stayed in while the adoption paper work was processed. But try as they might the Evans weren’t their family - their house - this planet - was not their home. And that’s what Max wanted more then anything - to go home - where he would finally feel like he belonged. The only problem, of course, being that he nor Isabel knew where their home was. Only that it was assuredly not on Earth.

The bus lurched to a stop, and Isabel practically dragged her brother off the bus. As he stepped down the bus steps, his hand momentarily released from his sister’s grasp, he took in the school yard around him and the children on it.

He saw a tiny girl with blond hair thumb wrestling a thin dark haired boy - and the girl was definitely winning. He saw a red haired girl with the name “PAM” sewn on her sweater, surrounded by other girls eagerly watching her apply lip gloss. At the far end of the yard was a short brown haired boy expertly throwing football passes to three others. Max sighed dejectedly. No he definitely did not belong here. For him, this could never be home.

While Max Evans was getting off the school bus, Michael Gurin was across town, in the trailer he shared with his foster father. Hank had kept him home that day, to help entertain the friends he had coming over to watch the afternoon baseball game. He was presently teaching Michael how to mix a martini. “That’s it kiddo - and then you put the olive in.” Hank took a swig of the newly mixed drink. “Perfect.” He said as he affectionately messed Michael’s hair. “Nice job, Mike - you might have a real talent there.”

Michael, so unused to any praise from Hank, basked in the glow of the compliment.

A few short hours later however, Michael was cleaning up, trying to avoid Hank’s attention at all costs. Hank’s team had lost and his friends had left, and after several hours of drinking he was officially drunk and in a foul mood.

As Michael carried a stack of cups to the kitchen sink, he lost his grasp on one and it crashed to the floor. Hank’s reaction was immediate and cruel. “You stupid little shit!” He took two steps toward Michael backhanded him across the face. An angry red imprint immediately appeared on his cheek. “Get this crap cleaned up before I get back, or there will be hell to pay.” He warned as he walked out of the trailer, slamming the door behind him.

As Michael cleaned up the glass, tears burning behind his eyes that he refused to let fall, he reaffirmed his opinion of humans. None of them could be trusted. One minute they might be nice to you, but they could turn as fast as the snakes in the desert. He would never let himself be taken in by their falsehoods again.

No, the only people he could trust were his true family. The girl and the boy he hoped he would one day find again. They were the only thing he could count on, the only thing that mattered. Them and others of his own kind.

Two hours after Michael had put the last shard of glass in the trash, and about four thousand miles north of Roswell, Tess Harding was getting ready for bed. Bedtime was her favorite time - the only time her protector, as he called himself, seemed warm and kind. For this little while, she could pretend he was actually her family, maybe her father or a nice uncle. For this little while she could forget how callous and indifferent he was towards her and not just a little bit scary even.

In the Harding house, bedtime meant story time. While Nasedo told her her bedtime story, his face was animated and cheerful, his voice a soothing whisper. It didn’t matter that he smiled at the exact same moments in the story - or that he said the words the exact same way every night. She new it was an act - it was rehearsed - he really wasn’t the gentle man he sounded like when he told her the story. But this was her time to pretend he was, to imagine for once what it felt like to have someone who loved you enough to want to send you to sleep with the peaceful, magical images his words evoked.

Tess snuggled into her pillow and pulled the covers up to her neck, her soft blond curls fanning out around her. She looked at Nasedo seated next to her, her round blue eyes shimmering with anticipation.

“Once upon a time,” he began, “there was a handsome king and a beautiful queen who ruled over the mystical land of Antar. It was a lovely planet with water as red as rubies, grass as soft as silk, and two moons that shimmered like diamonds. One day, an evil dragon invaded the land. Because he loved her so much, and couldn’t risk loosing her, the King sent his Queen and himself far far away. The trip was so far and took so long, that they lost some of their memory, and when they landed, they were separated. But the King had no fear, for he knew the moment he saw his Queen, he would know her and he would love her. Many years after their arrival - they found each other - and they were both overjoyed. During their years apart, the King had found a new ship to lead them home. But they needed one more thing…”

“A baby.” Tess whispered confidently.

“That’s right - the King and Queen needed to return home with a baby. That way the power of their love, their love of family, would defeat the dragon and bring peace once again to their beloved Antar. And then, the King and Queen, their dutiful protector, and their darling child would live happily ever after.”

Tess sighed as the story came to an end. She looked to the gray ceiling of her bedroom, but in her mind’s eye, she saw it all. The red water, her kingly long lost love, the beautiful child she would return with to the delight of her people, and lastly, she saw the cannon firing, flag waving confetti filled procession of their homecoming.

Tess’s heart filled with contentment at this future that would one day be hers. For she knew the secret, the story wasn’t just a story - it was real. She was the magical Queen, and someday she would find her King, and their love would be a love like no other in the universe.

Nasedo stood and wordlessly left the room. No wishes for sweet dreams, so good night kiss. But Tess didn’t need those things - not from him - she knew there was someone else, waiting for her who would make up for all these years of loneliness.

As the door closed behind him, Tess sat up in bed. When she was sure he was gone, she picked up one of the two pillows on her bed. Tess was not permitted to have toys - any toys - they were silly and “human” as Nasedo called them. Tess waved her hand over the pillow and it transformed into a doll. Not just any doll, the doll of a dark haired King. She kissed the doll and hugged it tight and laid her head on the pillow holding him close. Tess closed her eyes and fell asleep, a sleep filled with dreams of Kings and Queens, and magical lands and most of all, love.
trulov
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Falling Dominoes (CCw/ some UC Adult) Part 4 8/9/08

Post by trulov »

Thanks for the feedback and for reading!

Chapter 5

9 years later

Warning - bad words and violent images ahead

Liz Parker quietly closed the front door of the mansion. Sunglasses firmly in place, she tiptoed to the staircase, hoping to make it to her room unnoticed. She made it up two stairs when she heard his voice.

“Liz, is that you?”

Dammit! How did he do that? Not that she’d had much experience sneaking past Kal, but the few times she’d tried to pull a fast one on him - he’d somehow always seem to know what she was up to. She froze on the stairs.

“Liz?” He came out of the front parlor and stood in the grand foyer. “Oh, it is you. You’re late. I thought you were coming home early to get ready for tonight?”
She turned and saw that Kal was already dressed in his tux.

“Yeah, about that,” she started trying to sound confident. “I’m not going to be able to make it tonight. You know, things to do, people to see, time is money and all that. Maybe, I’ll make the next one?” She finished quickly and turned to head back up the stairs, but his voice stopped her once again.

“Wait, wait - what are you talking about? We’ve planned this function for weeks. Yesterday you were so excited you could hardly wait - what’s going on?”

Tonight they were having a big industry party. It would be Liz’s first as hostess. As she’d gotten older, Liz had taken quite an interest in Kal’s production business - particularly the music end of his company. He was proud when he’d realized she had quite a head for business and quite an ear for talent. Tonight, he’d planned on introducing her to all the “right” people. When she was old enough, he was sure she could take the reins of his music department - she was the reason he had started it after all. That was irony for you.

But now, now she suddenly didn’t want to attend? He was confused and Kal Langley did not appreciate being made to feel uninformed about anything - least of all when it concerned the wishes of his young protégé.

“Come in here Liz - let’s discuss this - reasonably.” He gestured towards the parlor and Liz begrudgingly followed him in.

“I’ve just changed my mind Kal,” she stated once they were in the large room. “Something’s come up and I just don’t think I’ll be able to make it. I’m sorry if I’ve disappointed you.” She was sincere about the last part - she knew he would be horribly disappointed in her, if he knew the real reason she was flaking out on the party.

Kal looked Liz over as she stood before him staring at the floor. He certainly didn’t want to force her to do something she didn’t want to. Maybe she was nervous? Maybe she was…He noticed the large sunglasses she had yet to remove from her face. Was she high? Was his Liz doing drugs? He was shocked by the thought - but he had read that teenagers often experimented with all types of drugs - he‘d seen it himself with many of his clients - Liz definately lived in the right town for it.

“I’m just gonna go to my room then.” Liz turned her back to him to make a fast exit.

“Just a minute Elizabeth, we are not done with this discussion,” he said in a disciplinary tone she had never heard him use. “And please do me the curtsey of removing those sunglasses while we speak.”

Liz sighed defeatedly. She knew getting past Kal would be a long shot. Better to just get it over with quickly. She straightened her shoulders, took off her glasses, and turned to face him.

Instead of the outburst or raging look of disappointment she was expecting, Kal’s face went from confused to blank. She looked at him, through her one good eye, and his face was completely devoid of any emotion what so ever.

During his training as a soldier on Antar, they were instructed extensively on body language, to know when the enemy was lying, when they were about to break. Likewise, they were taught how to school their own emotions, so as not to give anything away, particularly when one was experiencing an extreme emotion, like fear for example.

Kal did not even realize he was reverting to that old training as he looked over Liz’s battered face. The swollen left eye, freshly wounded, but already starting to bruise a vivid blue and yellow. He knew quite a lot about injuries, particularly in regards to inflicting them on others, it had been part of his job description for years before coming to earth. As his mind worked quickly, he knew the damage to Liz’s face was no accident - no mere tumble or collision with an unseen door. He knew someone had struck her - closed fisted - probably more then once. With that thought, Kal suddenly recognized the emotion coursing through his body, the emotion that was unknowingly hidden on his face - and it was rage.

“Who did this?” he whispered.

“Ryan.” Liz didn’t even think about lying - he would know if she did. “He thinks I’m cheating on him - I’m not - but… he didn’t believe me.”

Ryan Sullivan - Liz’s boyfriend of two months. Kal didn’t like the little bastard when Liz had brought him over for dinner. He thought the sonofabitch looked sneaky. But Kal mistrusted all humans - so he had dismissed his impression of the boy as his own paranoia. Now he knew he had been right about the prick. The knowledge that he may have prevented Liz being harmed if he had trusted his own instincts, fueled the rage within him even more.

But on the outside, Kal’s face remained passive as he asked, “Is this the first time?”

Liz looked down, ashamed, and said, “No.”

“Why didn’t you tell me?” Kal quickly asked, and despite all his training, Liz heard the hurt and sorrow in his voice.

“I was afraid.”

“Of me?”

“Yes, no… I mean…” She took a breath so she could explain, “ I was afraid you’d get mad. And that you’d do something…terrible. And that they’d take you away from me.” She looked him in the eyes and finished affectionately, “I didn’t want you to get into trouble because of me. You’re all I have…I didn’t want to lose you.”

Kal let out a shaky breath he didn’t know he was holding during declaration. He stepped forward and took her in his arms - something he’d rarely ever done. He stroked her hair and tried to get himself under control so he could say the right things - so he could give her the comfort she obviously needed.

“It’s okay Liz. It’s going to be okay. I promise.” He leaned back, looked at her and swore, “You will never lose me, you understand. What ever happens - I’m not going anywhere. But, you have to let me help you when things like this… if you ever get in over your head, you have to let me know so I can help. Okay?”

“Okay.” She nodded. She actually felt a lot better now, but still wanted to know, “What are you going to do?”

“Well, I’m going to call the boys parents,” He easily lied. “He’s obviously troubled and needs help.” Help Kal couldn’t wait to give him. He released Liz and stepped back, “Some therapy at least. But regardless, I don’t want you to worry - Ryan Sullivan will never hurt you again.”

“Thanks Kalvin.” Liz couldn’t resist giving him another quick hug. “You’re the best.”

As she turned to go Kal added, “And Liz - about that eye. Some ice and the magic of Alice Armstrong should make you presentable for tonight. She does the makeup for all the movie stars these days. That is if you still want to host tonight?”

“Oh my God!” Liz bounced up and down as she spoke, “That would just be sooo awesome!!”

“Good,” Kal chuckled at her excitement, “Go take a nice bath and I’ll make the call.”

“Okay - and really - thank you for…everything.”

With that Liz went upstairs and Kal closed the doors behind her. As he turned to walk to his desk, the calm facade was gone. His eyes were completely black, his face the mask of a monster. His palms screamed with the need to use his powers - to maim - to kill - to quench his need for vengeance and to protect what was his.

He’d kill the little fuck. That little insignificant piece of motherfucking garbage thought he could hurt Liz and get away with it? He’d burn him from the inside out. He’d hold that fucking shit against the wall, cut out his intestines with his bare hands and make the groveling asshole eat it before he killed him. Yeah, that was it - that bastard would be begging for sweet death once he got to him. He’d…

“ I was afraid you’d get mad. And that you’d do something…terrible.”

“And that they’d take you away from me.”

And they would take him away. Not the police like Liz thought, but if he did this, if he did what he wanted - how he wanted - there would be questions and evidence. Possibly alien evidence. And they might come for him.

“You’re all I have…I didn’t want to lose you.”

And if they came for him, they might take Liz too. At the very least, she would be alone again. He couldn’t leave her alone.

The boiling anger inside him lowered to a simmer. He had to be smart. He had to use the skills that had let him go undetected on this planet for all these years. He couldn’t do the Sullivan boy…But…that didn’t mean he didn’t know people who could.

Kal sat at his desk, picked up the phone and dialed.

A week and a half later, Ryan Sullivan, his mother, his father, his twin sisters and their dog disappeared. The rumors around Liz’s school were varied, some said Ryan’s father had gotten into financial trouble and the family went on the run, some said the family went into the witness protection program because of dealings with the mob.

Most days, Liz chose to believe Ryan had gone to some type of therapy program, to help boys like him, and that his family had relocated with him. But Liz was a smart girl. Once in while she’d let herself think about how that story really didn’t add up.

She never asked Kal about it. She just couldn’t bring herself to do it. She couldn’t ask him about the secrets he kept - dark secrets, she thought - he’d been too good to her.

And although she was NEVER afraid of him, once in a while Liz found herself looking at Kal and wondering exactly what her guardian was capable of.
trulov
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Falling Dominoes (CCw/ some UC Adult) Part 5 8/10/08

Post by trulov »

Warning - UC sex scene ahead - (I’m sorry about this next part - but for the sake of the story, it had to be done.)

Chapter 6

Roswell, NM

Diane and Phillip Evans loved their two adopted children as if they had bore them. They had provided for their every need, almost every want - nice rooms, nicer clothing, a solid education in the public school system, even used but well running cars. All they asked for in return, as any parent asked, was their children’s respect and obedience to the household rules. Max Evans was in the process of breaking one of those rules. He was in his room, in his bed to be exact, and he was not alone.

“Yes, yes Max - God I love you. Yes like that…Ahh…mmmm…Max” Tess panted out, her hand stroking the hair at the base of his neck, as Max laid above her, driving into her. With one last thrust he pinned her to the mattress and groaned in to the pillow behind her head. Once his orgasm was complete, Max took a moment to catch his breath. He then pulled out of her and rolled onto his back, next to Tess, his arms slung over his forehead, still breathing hard.

Tess smiled contentedly and turned to place her head on Max’s chest. God she loved him - from the first time she had seen him - his beauty had surpassed any of her childhood dreams. As she moved to cuddle, however, her head met with the warm pillow instead of his firm chest. He was already up out of bed, standing naked before her.

“I’m gonna hop in the shower. You should get dressed, my parents will be home in an hour and I want to get you home before then.”

Tess swallowed the lump that was suddenly in her throat. She didn’t know why his words and attitude still stung - he was like this every time they were together - why did she keep expecting something different from him?

Max looked at Tess a moment, thinking he should say something more. But not knowing what that more was, he simply turned and walked out of the room, to the bathroom.

Tess watched the door close behind him and tried to hold back the gathering tears. She laid her head on the pillow and put her fist in her mouth so he wouldn’t hear her sobs. “No boy wants a bawling mess of a girl after sex” - that’s what Nasedo had told her the first time Max’s unfeeling attitude had upset her, but she just couldn’t help herself.

It wasn’t supposed to be this way. It had been two years since they had found the three. Nasedo had painstakingly reviewed the newspaper clippings of the areas surrounding their pods. When he’d seen the small story of the two children rescued from the desert, he’d hacked into the child care network of Roswell, and discovered the adoption records of those two children. They’d unknowingly observed them for weeks - how Max, Isabel and Michael seemed to stick together - even though their home lives presented no inspiration for them to do so. Although Isabel was active in school activities, Max and Michael shunned most outside social contact. Finally, when they were sure they were right, Tess and Nasedo had approached them, and revealed themselves.

Their initial distrust had surprised her. She’d thought her King would know her the moment she’d revealed herself as his former wife, his former love. Nasedo had explained that living amongst the humans and having to suppress their powers for so long must have suppressed their memories as well.

Still, she had been equally shocked that none of the three had any memory of their planet. Her memories were so vivid. She remembered the deep red of the water, how soft the grass had been - it was as clear and real to her as the blue sky of earth that she saw everyday. Unfortunately, even after two years of memory retrieval, two years of secretly practicing their powers with their protector, Max, Isabel, and Michael’s recollections of their former lives were no clearer today, then when they had first found them.

Tess tried to calm herself, as she laid in Max’s bed, but the tears flowed like rain. She breathed in his scent and reminded herself that he wasn’t trying to be mean - he didn’t intentionally hurt her - this was just how he was. Max Evans was cold. He treated his sister and parents the same. It wasn’t that he set out to upset anyone, he just didn’t care if he did. That was what it was - he was indifferent - uninterested - when it came to the emotional workings of others - and how his actions affected those emotions. He just didn’t have it in him to care.

Unless, of course it concerned their hunt for the Granolith. It was the only time she had ever seen Max passionate about, well... anything. He walked through life like a robot - doing his school work - saying all the right things to go unnoticed - to not stand out. But, if a clue was discovered that could possibly lead to the unearthed alien power, Max was suddenly alive with energy, with questions and determination.

She would just have to try harder, she thought, still hiccupping as she stood to dress. She would have to do better - be what Max needed her to be. Maybe if she found something new on the Granolith - maybe he would see her differently. Maybe he would be grateful, and finally caress her face as she always dreamed he would. If she showed him she could be his partner in their search - as asset - maybe she would finally see the love in his eyes that she burned for. Maybe.

Two doors down, as the bathroom filled with steam from the shower Max stared at his reflection in the mirror as he heard Tess’ weeping from his room. What had he done wrong? He honestly didn’t know. His confusion turned to anger - anger at Tess and her stupid fucking neediness - anger at himself for not being what she obviously needed him to be.

He was a King for Christ’s sake. He had a mission - a destiny. According to Nasedo, the Granolith had been programmed to hide itself, upon impact with earth. It would be within the vicinity of their pods, and it was up to the royal four to find it. But with the pods in the middle of the vast New Mexico desert, with its caverns and rock formations, the possible locations were endless.

That was his duty, his purpose - find the Granolith, get back to their planet and save his people from the dictator currently ruling them. An entire race of people were counting on him, and what was he doing? He was here, wasting time, contemplating why his "bride" was in tears in the next room.

He rubbed his hand down his face in frustration. He didn't have time for this.

He fucked Tess when she wanted and he was pretty sure she came when he did - what the hell else did she want from him? He didn’t have the luxury of worrying about her fragile frigging feelings.

He stared at the eyes in the mirror and didn’t know in another lifetime those eyes had been described as amber or honey colored - as if there was a soft light within them. The eyes looking back at him were just yellow - like those of a lion - hollow - flat eyes with no warmth.

He hated this. He hated feeling like something was missing inside him. As if the answers were on the tip of his consciousness, always just out of reach. It had been this way as long as he could remember.

When he looked at his parents, he felt indebted to them - they had protected and provided for he and Isabel - but did he love them? When he thought of Isabel and Michael he felt protective of them - the were his responsibility - but beyond that, did he have any affection for them? And Tess, well unfortunately, when he saw Tess he felt - nothing.

When she and Nasedo had first found them, he thought they were the missing piece in his life. Their explanation of their origins - he the King - Michael the second and so on had given him a clearer purpose he had lacked before.

When Tess had first offered herself to him, he had turned her down. It had just seemed wrong. Shouldn’t he feel... something... for the person he was sharing his body with? But she had persisted and eventually he had given in. She was his mate after-all, she was certainly pretty enough and oh so willing.

Besides it wasn‘t like the four of them had any other options - the humans were off limits for obvious reasons - not that any of them had ever really appealled to him. But even after two years, her presence in his life and the presence of his destiny had done nothing to close the aching void within him. The sheer absence that he suspected was in his soul.

Maybe this was how it was supposed to be. Maybe since he was the King he needed to be detached - uninvolved. He’d suspected as much before, when he observed how easily Isabel gave affection to their parents and how warm she was with her “friends.”

In the end, it was all inconsequential - Max couldn't allow it to matter. As he stepped under the shower spray he told himself, all that could matter was finding the Granolith that would take them home. Maybe then, when he was home he would feel…whole. Maybe.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

An hour later Tess found herself walking home. She’d wanted time to get her thoughts together, and didn't want to annoy Max with her melancholy. When she’d told him she’d prefer to walk, he’d shrugged indifferently and mumbled, “Okay, whatever.”

Now, however, she was starting to regret her decision as she saw the thunder clouds gathering above her.

“Perfect,” she whispered to herself. It didn’t rain often in New Mexico, but when it did, a deluge fell from the sky. Being soaked to the bone would be the perfect end to her day.

As her thoughts fell to the task of finding some new piece of information on the Granolith for Max, she didn’t notice the red mustang that pulled up beside her.

“Hey,” the driver called. “Hey, your Tess right - the new girl?”

Tess turned to see the boy, about her age, who’d called to her. She’d been in Roswell for two years, yet was still known as “the new girl.” But that was Roswell for you.

“That’s me.” She forced, faking a cheerfulness she didn’t feel. “Your Kyle right - the sheriff’s son?” she asked back.

“That’s me,” he mimicked. “So, it looks like its gonna pour any minute. You wanna ride?”

Tess thought it over for a moment. Socializing with the humans was frowned upon in her circle, but at that moment she really didn’t care. It was only a five minute drive to her house from there anyway.

“Sure.” She told him. Kyle opened the door for her and she climbed in.

Kyle had noticed the pretty blond when she’d first moved to town. They didn’t get new people around Roswell often, certainly not many who looked like her. He’d tried to talk to her, her first few days at school, but she was shy and unreceptive. Then he’d noticed her following Evan’s around and he'd stopped trying be befriend her. But he'd alway taken note of what classes she was in and where her locker was.

Evans - what a dumbass. Not that he’d said more then a few words to the boy his whole life - but he just didn’t like him. Kyle got the distinct feeling that Max thought he was too good for the rest of them - he never hung out or talked to anyone - as his his sister often did.

“So,” he attempted, trying to make conversation, “you go with Evans right?”

“Yeah.” She nodded and didn’t elaborate.

Kyle glanced at her - saw the red rimmed eyes - the pale unhappy face.

“How’s that going for you?”

“It’s going.” Tess replied almost bitterly.

Doesn't soundlike its going too well, Kyle thought.

“You want me to kick his ass for you?” he asked straight faced.

Tess chuckled and pretended shock, “Why Kyle Valenti, that does not sound like a comment the son of a local law officer should be making.”

“Oh contrar mon frere. See my dad’s the only sheriff around here.”

“And that means…?”

“Well, not that I’m bragging, but that means I could get pulled over with a blood alcohol level of 5.5 and a gram of coke on the front seat and I won’t get a ticket.”

Tess laughed again, “But you’re not bragging.”

“Never,” Kyle smiled along with her, “Not that my dad wouldn’t kick my ass all over town. But the long arm of the law? Can’t touch me.”

Tess’s smile reached her eyes as she shook her head at his logic.

“Now that’s better,” Kyle commented as he looked into her eyes, “ A smile as pretty as that should really come out to play more often.”

Tess stared at him a moment. It was the first time anyone had ever called her pretty.

Kyle broke the moment as he stopped the car and gestured to the house in front.

“This is you, right.”

“What? Oh - yeah - this is me. Thanks for the ride Kyle.”

Before she got out of the car, Kyle couldn’t help but ask seriously, “So, you gonna be okay?”

Tess paused, well this was certainly a day for firsts. That was also the first time in her life, anyone had asked her that question. It was so…so...nice.

She looked at him seriously and said, “Yeah, I’ll be fine. Thanks again.”

As she got out, the rain started to come down and Kyle yelled out before she closed the passenger door, “ Oh, and hey Tess, about Evans - you just say the word.”

She graced him with another smile and answered, “I’ll keep it in mind.”

As Tess ran to her front door she couldn’t help but think what a shame it was that Max wasn’t more like Kyle. Her life would be much more pleasant if he was. For that matter, it was a shame that she wasn’t more like the other girls of Roswell - normal - human. If she was, she would definitely give one Kyle Valenti a second look.

She shook her head at herself, surprised by her own thoughts. She’d never in her life wanted to be anything other then what she was - Tess Harding - alien queen.

She’d never, for a moment, wanted to be human.

Never that was - until today.
Last edited by trulov on Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
trulov
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Falling Dominoes (CCw/ some UC Adult) Part 6 8/11/08 pg 2

Post by trulov »

Chapter 7

Thank you for your wonderful comments and feedback - it really means so much!

Warning - some explicit UC sexual situations ahead - sorry to those who are put off.

Across town two other young aliens were attempting to complete their destiny. Michael Gurin sat stiffly on his couch, his lips pressed against those of Isabel Evans, the girl who, up until a few years ago, he thought was his sister. He angled his head to the side and raised his hand to touch her hair. Trying to take it to the next level, he slid his tongue against her lips. She abruptly pulled back.

“Ugg, this isn’t working Michael.”

“I know.” Michael sighed. He rubbed his eyes tiredly.

“I’m trying, really. I try and picture someone else in my mind. But when I kiss you, like that,” Isabel tasted the bile as it rose up her throat at the thought, “it feels like I’m kissing Max.”

Michael felt the same. This was Isabel after all. The moment he’d seen Max and Isabel again, he’d recognized them and he’d been thrilled - to finally have found his real family - people he knew were like him. For the next six years they'd grown together as siblings - they’d come from the same pods and were the same age - it’d made sense to them that they must have had the same parents.

And then Nasedo had found them and dropped the bombshell. The were royals - they were the only hope for a whole planet - they were betrothed. Nasedo had answered all their questions and had given them what had been sorely missing before - direction - purpose. They knew now why they were here and what was expected of them in the future. But those expectations clashed with the way they had always felt about each other. And try as they might, they couldn’t see each other in any light other then that of brother and sister.

Which made their current course of action just… gross. “I know Iz, but you know what Nasedo said. We’re it. The last of the royal line. Eventually, we’re going to have to propagate that, create descendants. We’ll be stronger if we go back home with heirs.”

Isabel looked at Michael as Nasedo’s words came out of his mouth. He worshipped the protector. He took his word as law. She could see why. The guilt washed over her again, as she thought of all he had suffered at Hank’s hand. When she’d first seen the bruises she’d wanted to kill the man and she was sure she would have, had it not been for Max. Although he didn’t like what was happening to Michael either, he’d convinced her there was nothing to be done. They couldn’t raise suspicion - they couldn’t draw attention to themselves. They also couldn’t report Hank and risk having Michael placed with some other family that could live miles away, possibly another state. They had to stick together. So, though it galled her, Max had convinced Michael to stay quiet and to just try and stay out of Hank’s way.

But when Nasedo found them, when they’d come to trust him enough to let him know what was happening, he had quickly done away with Hank. They didn’t know what had happened to him exactly, only that one day he was gone from Michael’s life, and it appeared as though he had just run off. At seventeen, Michael had been granted emancipation and Nasedo had set him up in an apartment, even found him a job with a house painting company. Michael saw the protector as the father he’d always wanted - his savior. He was indebted to him from that moment on - never doubting or questioning - just doing as he was told in the hopes of making the shape shifter proud.

“Okay. I have an idea,” she looked Michael in the eyes and said, “Let’s get naked.”

“What?!!”

“Pam told me once that when her brother really wants to get some, he just gets naked, and then he figures the girl will have to do something.” She paused to see how Michael was taking this. “So let’s just do it and…you know, see what happens.”

Michael swallowed - he’d never been naked in front of a girl before - at least not outside his dreams. But they were desperate - they’d been trying to start some attraction between them for months and were getting exactly no where. “Okay.”

Isabel stood up and turned her back to him as she lifted her shirt over her head. She was confident in her looks - she saw how the boys at school reacted to her - she knew she was attractive. She ignored the dread that settled in her stomach as she took off her pants. God she did not want to do this. Every cell in her body screamed at her that this was wrong - wrong wrong wrong - as she unhooked her bra and skimmed her panties down her legs to the floor. Instinctively she covered her breasts with her arms as she turned around, her eyes squeezed shut.

She didn’t want to do this - but she knew she had to. There was no one else - it was just the four of them. Despite her fantasies to the contrary, she knew she could never be with anyone else - never trust anyone enough to show them the real her. In her heart she knew any boy who discovered what she really was - an alien - a monster - would run from her in horror.

It was a life with Michael or a life alone. She knew she was luckier then most. When Nasedo had first told her of their betrothal, she’d read up on arranged marriages. She was sickened when she’d read about young girls, even in today's age, being traded off to old men, cruel men. Michael was not the most open person in the world but he was good and he was handsome. And they did care for each other - if only they could somehow change those feelings from friendship to passion.

As Isabel stood naked before her friend, eyes closed, Michael sat on the couch, in his boxers. He’d clasped his eyes shut as soon as he saw Isabel’s shirt going over her head.

Jesus - what were they doing? He felt sick - God don’t let him puke. He’d never in his life been so nervous as he stood and pulled his boxers down. Did he really want this to work? What if it did? He didn’t want to hurt Isabel - and if it did work - after…after they had done it, would he even be able to look at her again? What if she didn’t look at him the same anymore. What if one day she realized he could never really love in that way. What if she started to resent him? What if she started to hate him? He didn’t think he could take it if Isabel hated him. This was all just so fucking fucked up.

Her voice pulled him from his jumbled thoughts, “Are you ready?”

He took a breath - and forced himself to calm down - he could do this - they could do this. “Yeah - yeah I’m ready. How ‘bout we open our eyes on three?”

“Okay.”

“One,” he counted softly, “two…three.” The both opened their eyes simultaneously and stared directly into the others’, both unable to look down at first. After two beats, Michael was the first to let his eyes wander. His first thought was, Wow - Isabel had a nice body. Big boobs - nice perky nipples. He’d seen a porno on cable once and the girl’s nipples had been huge and saggy like a cow’s utters. But Isabel’s were - nice. His eyes continued down - flat stomach - long legs - soft manicured blond curls between her thighs. She was toned but not hard. He thought she was beautiful. He waited for the desire to come upon him. It didn’t.

Isabel did some looking of her own. Michael had nice arms - a firm chest with just a hint of hair - strong thighs. He was muscular, but not huge like those body builders - she didn’t like big muscled guys. Her eyes traveled downward finally bringing herself to observe the organ that would take her innocence. It rested on a bed of dark curls - shrunken - like a snail afraid to leave its shell. She covered her eyes in disappointment and embarrassment, “Oh God this will never work! Its physically impossible!!”

Michael quickly put on his boxers, grabbed the blanket off the couch and wrapped it around Isabel. He hugged her as he did and pulled her onto the couch next to him.

“This is awful Michael - what are we going to do?”

He felt bad that she was so upset - not wanting to acknowledge his hidden relief that this attempt had failed. “Maybe when we’re older?” he tried.

“Oh please. We’re teenagers - at the height of our sexual desire. You get turned on if you stare at cantaloupes too long.” Isabel chuckled at her own joke. Part of her regretted their inability to do what their protector had said was imperative. Another larger part was thrilled with the reprieve.

They sat huddled together on the couch - taking comfort from each other in their failure to mate. Finally Isabel said, only half in jest, “Do you think they know about artificial insemination on our planet?”

Michael snorted a laugh - God he hoped so.

************************************************************************************************************************************
A few hours later Michael found himself on Main street. He parked his motorcycle - a birthday present to himself - and walked towards the small shop that was his destination. He wanted to get something for Isabel. When he thought about the situation they were in - hell their whole lives - he knew it was all hardest on Isabel.

Tess had grown up with Nasedo, had always known what was expected of her. Max had seemed to accept his destiny with his typical detached passiveness. As for himself, Michael had made a rule in his life - don’t get involved - don’t get attached. As far as he was concerned, earth was not their home and as soon as they found the Granolith, they were out of here. But Isabel, she was different.

She loved the Evans as if they really were her parents. He remembered the fight they’d gotten into the summer before Nasedo had found them. There was some small fire at the house and Max had used his powers to control it. Isabel had wanted to tell their parents the truth about them, when Mrs. Evans had started questioning Max about how exactly he’d put the fire out. Max had gone ballistic at Isabel’s suggestion. He’d yelled at her that the Evans weren’t really their parents - that they weren’t even the same species.

The look on Isabel’s face when he’d said that - well - although he’d agreed with Max one hundred percent - Michael was just glad he wasn’t the one who’d had to say it to her.

Isabel was also the only one amongst them who dated and was involved in school activities. Michael remembered the argument she’d had with Nasedo over her involvement with the humans. He’d told her such socializing was beneath her. She’d come right back at the protector and told him she was “blending in,” that it was the rest of them who stood out by isolating themselves - that out of the four of them, she was the one who appeared most human and thus the least likely to raise suspicion about their origins. Nasedo had chastised her to “remember who she was, remember her place.”

Michael chuckled to himself as he recalled how Isabel had looked every inch the Princess when she’d told the shaped shifter that it was he who should remember his place, that he worked for them and it was he who answered to her brother. Max had put a stop to the discussion at that point, but not before Nasedo had informed them that it was his place to protect them, by whatever means necessary, even if it meant protecting them from their own foolish ideas and actions. To an outsider, the comment could have almost sounded menacing, but Michael knew Nasedo would never threaten one of them.

As far as the dates Isabel went out on - it’d never bothered him. But, at the same time, he didn’t really understand it. He’d never met any human who’d ever sparked any interest from him.

As he walked into the small shop, he glanced at the girl with the short blond hair at the register and thought, well maybe that wasn’t exactly true.

The shop was named “Amy’s.” It was a kind of a combination convenience store and odds and ends shop. Sometimes Amy Deluca, the owner, even sold homemade pies. Michael thought he’d definitely be able to find something to cheer Isabel here. As he picked something off the shelf and considered it, he didn’t hear the girl approach him.

“Need help with something?” she inquired.

He’d had wood shop with her last semester, and contradicting his previous thoughts, she’d made quite an impression. For their final project she had made a gigantic stick. Mr. Donaldson, their teacher was a burly old fashioned guy, who’d been riding her all semester because he didn’t think girls really belonged in wood shop - they belonged in home ec. When the teacher inquired as to what exactly her final project was used for, she had handed him the stick and told him that it was for him, when it was time to replace the giant stick that was currently shoved up his ass. Needless to say, she had failed that class, but the incident had made her difficult to overlook.

“Umm, yeah I guess - I’m looking for a present for someone.” he answered, looking at the item in his hands.

“Girlfriend?”

“Yes…ah no. Well, she’s a girl and she’s a friend.” He explained awkwardly.

The girl took the item out of his hands and replaced it on the shelf. “If your going to buy a girl shampoo - don’t buy her the generic kind.”

“That was shampoo and conditioner - in one.” Michael tried defending his choice.

“Yeah - real time saver.” She replied sarcastically. “Come here,” she motioned him towards a glass box at the front of the store. She reached in a pulled out a small silver locket. “This is what you need.”

Michael looked skeptical, “What is it?”

“It’s a locket. See, you put your picture and her picture inside,” she opened it to show him. “Then you give her a sappy card that says - so I’m always close to your heart - or something like that.”

Michael stared at the locket. It was perfect. He could use his powers to shrink his, Max’s and Isabel’s yearbook pictures, and then combine them into one photo. Isabel would love it.

“Helloooo!” So lost in his thoughts, Michael hadn’t realized the blond had been speaking.

He glanced up at her and said, “Sorry - spaced out there for a second.”

“Well “Spaceboy” - I was asking if you wanted it?”

“Definitely.”

She led him to the register and said, “That’ll be thirty nine dollars.”

He paid her the money and turned to go. He stopped suddenly and turned to her, “Thanks, um…you know for this.” he held up the bag.

She smiled softly at his stuttered gratitude, “You’re welcome, Michael.”

He glanced up and not for the first time admired her features. Her green eyes were fiery - like her - they shined with spirit - spunk. And her lips- sweet Jesus, those lips were so full, so soft looking. He wondered if they tasted as sweet as they looked. Unbidden, an image burst into his head of him kissing those lips - of how those lips would feel kissing his chest - of how those red lips would look wrapped around a particular part of his anatomy.

Suddenly Michael felt the groin area of his jeans tighten as he hardened. Oh shit. “I gotta go.” he said abruptly, and practically ran out of the store.

“Weird.” Maria said to herself, as she watched him leave.

************************************************************************************************************************************

As Michael tore out of the store, he practically knocked over the lanky, dark haired young man rushing in. Alex muttered a “Sorry” as he hurried in to find his best friend.

“You are not going to believe what happened to me today!!” Alex started as soon as he saw Maria. Without waiting for her reply he continued, “Guess who knows me? Guess who knows the name Alexander Charles Whitman and knows that its mine?”

“Santa?” Maria teased, “No wait - the gang at Cheers?” When Alex looked at her blankly she explained, “Get it - where everybody knows your name?”

Alex rolled his eyes at her lame joke and continued with his news, “Isabel Evans.”

Ahh, the mighty Isabel Evans, the girl who had filled Alex’s dreams since he was thirteen. The girl who, as far as Maria knew, he had only spoken a handful of words to. Now his exuberance made sense.

“And you know this - how? Was she moaning your name while sleeping through Calculus?” she asked.

“No.” Alex started pacing in front of Maria waving his arms in excitement as he told his story, “I was walking, well jogging, through the quad this morning - late for English, and I tripped over this rock - don’t even know how it got there - must’ve been like fate or something for it to be there. And I fall right into Isabel and knock every book out of her hands. So I’m helping her pick up her stuff and ya know apologizing, and she puts her hand on my hand,” he reenacted the moment using Maria’s hand, “She looks me right in the eyes and says, “Really Alex, its okay.”

When Maria said nothing Alex put his hands above his head and said, “Yes!! Who’s the man, huh? Who? Step one complete.”

“Step one?” Maria raised her eyebrows having no idea what he was talking about.

“Yeah - I told you - my multi-step plan to winning the heart of Isabel Evans. Only 326 steps to go.”

“Three hundred and twenty…Alex, how long is this little plan of yours going to take?”

“That’s the genius of it. By the time my master plan is complete she’ll have to marry me - we’ll all be too old for anyone else.”

"You are completely hopeless, you know that right?" She decided to change the subject, “Are we practicing tonight?”

“Huh?” Alex replied suddenly lost in thought.

“The band, Alex - your band. Are we practicing tonight at your house?”

“Oh, no, no, I switched it to Thursday. I gotta go - step two requires some planning. See ya.” And as quick as he came in, Alex Whitman was out the door.

“Weird.” Maria said for the second time that day, as she shook her head at her best friend’s antics and the overall strangeness of most of the male population of Roswell, “Maybe it’s something in the water.”
Last edited by trulov on Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
trulov
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Falling Dominoes (CCw/ some UC Adult) Part 7 8/13/08 pg 2

Post by trulov »

Hey everyone - just reposting the parts that got deleted - Thanks! :D

Chapter 8

Max hit save on his computer as he finally finished his lab report due the next day. He’d done most of the work himself - not that he minded too much - but it would be nice just once to have a lab partner who knew their ass from their elbow. He leaned back from his desk and closed his eyes tiredly.

He heard a noise to his left and turned to see Tess’s blond curls as she climbed through his window.

“Tess, what are you…” He was cut off as she straddled his lap and kissed him hard. After a moment he pulled away, “What are you doing?”

She looked him in the eyes, a soft smile on her lips, “Guess where I’ve been.”

“Tess - I'm tired..." he answered, refusing to play along.

She continued as if he’d said nothing, “I’ve been at the library. Actually, I’ve been at the library every afternoon for the past two weeks - not that you’ve noticed.” She paused hoping to see a flash of guilt on his face for neglecting her. His face remained blank. She wasn’t surprised.

“After blind reading through documents and staring at computers, guess what I put together?” Now his interest was piqued. She was obviously excited about something, and although he didn’t pretend to understand her mood swings, he was curious as to what she was talking about.

She continued as she pulled out a slip of paper and held it up for him, “I was able to compile a list of all the approved permits for archeological digs within a fifteen mile radius of the pod chamber.”

He hadn’t thought of this. The last few months they had taken rotating shifts going out into the desert looking for rock formations and caves that could contain the Granolith. Although they kept a map at Michael’s apartment detailing where they’d searched, their hunt was random. Without any real clue as to where to start looking, they might as well have been trying to find a seashell on the beach. The Granolith could also have just as easily buried itself under ground.

Max took the paper and scanned it quickly. The list contained addresses of the individuals applying for the permits. It also detailed the dates of the excavations. Some of them had already been completed, some were future digs that hadn’t started yet. If they could get their hands on the information gained from these investigations they could save months, maybe years of their own time searching. At the very least it would tell them where not to look - at best, maybe one of the digs would yield something unusual, something that could give Max a clue as to the location of the Granolith. Now they just had to get their hands on the researchers‘ data.

“This is good Tess. I mean, this is big, it could help a lot.” Max said still looking over the paper a small smile on his face.

Tess’s heart swelled. It was just the sort of reaction she was looking for. His face was softer when he looked at her, and in his eyes - well it wasn’t love she saw - but for her, it was a start.

“Sooo, do I get my thank you now?” she asked trying to sound seductive.

Max put the paper down, and stood up holding Tess’ legs around his waist as he walked to the bed. As he lowered them down he said, “We have to be quiet. My parents are in their room.”

***************************************************************************************************************************************
Three weeks later

The four teens strode down the deserted dirt rode confidently. It was 2 o’clock in the morning, and there was only one house at the end of the dark street, so the likelihood of them being seen by anyone was slim. Their confidence was also derived from practice - this would be the fifth target they’d hit in the last few weeks and they now knew their parts well. Isabel would serve as lookout, Michael would restrain the targets, Max would extract the information, and Tess would mind warp the objectives when all was done. They would remember nothing of the late night intruders.

It was Nasedo who had devised the plan and the parts each would play. The first time, the initial researcher on the list that they had raided, had been filled with uncertainty - each was afraid of screwing up - afraid of getting caught. But by now their late night excursions were rehearsed - the only feelings that filled the four was the hope of gaining some meaningful information, which had yet to be obtained.

Max opened the locked door with his powers and walked in, followed by Michael. After a brief perusal of the one floor dwelling, they headed to the back bedroom where they were sure to find the sleeping occupant. His name was Grant Sorrenson and he had recently completed a small dig approximately two miles south east of the pod chamber. He had been looking for fossils and geodes in the New Mexico desert and his report to Las Cruzas University who had sponsored the dig had yet to be completed. Nasedo didn’t want to wait for the report to be finished. Why wait, when he could get the information he was after right out of Mr. Sorrenson’s head.? Max had seen his point and agreed.

As she peered out the front door, Isabel heard the terrified screams from the back room. Apparently, Mr. Sorrenson had a female companion with him. They had not anticipated this, but it wouldn’t be a problem.

“Oh my God! Who are you! What are you doing!!!”

Michael had the two pinned to the bed with his powers.

Boy, the woman was loud.

Grant observed the two teens standing above him and tried to stay calm. His brain, still clouded from sleep, couldn’t comprehend why his arms and legs weren’t working - why he couldn’t get up. Anna was freaking out next to him - she was also unable to move, but her voice box was working just fine.

“Please don’t hurt us - take what ever you want! Oh God Help Help!!

Max was annoyed be the incessant screaming, “You want to do something about this?” he asked Michael gesturing to the hysterical woman.

“What the hell do you want me to do? I have to focus on keeping them down. Do your thing and then Tess will shut her up.”

Max shrugged and approached the man. He placed his palm on the top of Sorrenson’s head and forced his way into his mind.

Grant’s consciousness exploded with the most intense pain he had ever experienced. It felt like a chisel was against the very flesh of his brain and a mighty hammer was pounding it in. He started to scream.

Max ignored the outburst - focused on what he was looking for. He disregarded the memories, visions of parents and family flashed by - images of sweethearts past and studying for finals. Finding the more recent information he needed, he zeroed in on Sorrenson’s memories of the dig in the desert. It took just seconds, but to Max’s victim it may as well have been hours. The pain was so blinding, he was unable to form words, he just screeched moans and syllables. “AHHHH, RRRRRR”

Anna begged them to stop whatever they were doing to Grant “Please, please don’t do this!”

Suddenly Max paused the assault and exclaimed to Michael, “He found something.” Max resumed the mind rape pushing further into Grant’s psyche and eliciting more painful squeals.

A few moments later, Max removed his hand and the man’s screaming ceased. With excitement in his eyes, Max went to the desk at in the corner and opened a locked drawer with his powers. He removed a smooth oval shaped orb from the drawer with a symbol they all recognized. He held it up to show Michael who was still restraining Grant and Anna on the bed.

“This is all he got. I’ll get Tess.” As Max walked out of the room, he didn't notice the blood that began dripping from Sorrenson's ears.

As Max walked back in with Tess, she looked at the two humans on the bed, closed her eyes, and began to wipe their memories with her powers. She started with the man first as the woman continued to sob and beg for release.

“Why are you doing this to us? PLEASE leave us alone.”

Tess closed her eyes and pushed harder at the man’s mind. She was having a hard time overlapping his recollections of this night. She strained harder, not seeing the blood that began pouring from his nose.

Tess opened her eyes when she heard the most piercing screech from the already loud woman beside the man.

“GRANT!! OH MY GOD - STOP - PLEASE STOP HURTING HIM!!!!”

Isabel came running in, hearing the terror in the woman’s voice and knowing something had gone terribly wrong. She saw the woman, momentarily released from Michael’s hold in his shock, cradling Grant Sorrenson’s head in her hands. He was spastically convulsing as blood poured from his face and pooled on the side of his head.

“Max,” Isabel whispered, stunned, grabbing her brother’s arm, “You have to do something. You have to stop this.”

Max considered it and quietly replied, “I can’t”

Isabel tore her eyes from the injured man and stared at her brother, “Of course you can. It’s what you do. You have to heal him or he’s going to die.”

Max's voice was soft, “I can’t Isabel. There will be evidence - the handprint. And then there’s no guarantee that Tess will be able to warp him again. He'll remember that we were here.”

Isabel’s voice rose in anger, “Are you fucking kidding me? He’s dying Max - we are killing him - do you understand that? We are not some fucking alien monsters from the movies who go around slaughtering people at night. You HAVE to do something!”

Max stared hard at his sister and asked, “Are you willing to trade your life for his? Or Michael’s or Tess’ or mine? Because that’s what you’re asking me to do Isabel - expose us all!! I can’t - I won’t do that!!!”

“Guys.” Michael’s soft voice interrupted the sibling’s debate. “It doesn’t matter now.”

He gestured to the man on the bed, now unmoving. The convulsions had stopped, and his eyes were open, unseeing. Grant Sorrenson was dead. Isabel covered her mouth in horror. The woman holding Grant’s head sobbed quietly next to him, unintelligible words of sadness coming from her lips.

Max pushed his hand through his hair, shocked at what they had done, when Michael asked, “What about her.”

Isabel knew the thoughts racing across her brother’s mind, and for the first time in her life she was afraid of him. She knew he was contemplating killing the woman too. It was just a moment - a quick cowardly consideration, but Isabel saw it. As sure as she saw on his face, the second he decided against it. It would be too suspicious. One man dying in his sleep could be explained by natural causes. Two healthy adults dying in bed would raise questions.

He turned to Tess, “Warp her.”

Numb, Tess did as she was told. And the woman’s face was suddenly calm, blank. She released the man’s head and laid back down next to him, and slept as if she had never been awakened.

The four stared at the couple on the bed, speechless. Max swallowed hard, picked up the orb and said, “Let’s go.”

Max relocked the front door as they left. No living being, but the four of them would ever know they had been there. But they would have to live with it. For the rest of their lives on earth, or any other planet, they would have to live with the knowledge of what their powers… of what they had done.
trulov
Addicted Roswellian

Post by trulov »

Chapter 9

A few nights later Max lay wide awake in his bed gazing at the ceiling. He’d killed a man. A man was dead because of him. Despite what the others believed, the act was often in Max’s thoughts, although he wouldn’t let it effect him the way the others had.

He’d killed a man. He hadn't meant to, but that didn't really change anything, did it? He went over the events of that night again and again. He’d killed a man with his powers, and in the end it had been for nothing. Nasedo had explained that the orb was a communicator - when joined with its counter part it played a message from his mother. The message contained information about themselves - information they already knew.

He had been at Tess’ earlier, studying in her room. He replayed their conversation in his head.

Max had asked her a question about calculus, “I have nineteen for number three, is that what you have?” She didn’t answer but just stared at her paper, not really seeing it. “Tess?”

“I killed that man, Max” She’d said it so softly he almost didn’t hear.

He looked back to his homework, determined not to let them torture themselves about the other night, “It was an accident Tess.”

“But I still did it. I put his name on that list. I kept pushing and pushing the warp and I felt it. I felt his brain crack.” She shuddered with the memory.

“Look, if you need to blame someone, blame me. I was in charge. I weakened his mind with the mind rape. I told you to warp him. You didn’t mean it.”

She turned her anguished face to him as he continued, “Besides, you know what Nasedo told us. Humans’ brains are more fragile then ours.” He shrugged, “None of it matters now anyway.” Max’s voice was calm and convincing.

An image of Kyle, across the quad, laughing, sprang to Tess’s mind. He smiled so easily. Was his brain fragile? Would his brain crack like Sorrenson’s if someone used their powers on him? The words were out of her mouth before she even thought about them, “Life matters Max. His life…yours.”

“No,” Max’s eyes hardened, “What matters is getting home. You’re the one who told me that, remember. What’s wrong with you? Why are you trying to make me feel things that I don’t want to even think about.”

Is that what she was doing? She guessed it was. But when she looked at Max, she saw the great man, the great leader he could be. She wanted to help him become that. If she could just get him to open up, just a little.

“You don’t have to hide what you feel, Max. I’m here you know. I won’t think anything less of you.”

Max smirked at her conclusions, “Is that what you think I’m doing? Hiding my feelings? I’m not hiding anything Tess. I’m not acting guilt-ridden about Sorrenson because I. Don’t. Feel. Bad. About. It. It was a tragedy - an accident. I didn’t mean for it to happen and I’ll try not to let it happen again. But you know what? This is a war Tess. We are at war - and there’s bound to be some collateral damage.”

Tess saw Max’s point, but she couldn’t shake the image of Sorrenson’t body on the bed, of the woman sobbing broken heartedly next to him. Didn’t he feel anything? Didn’t he pity them?

"Part of us is from this planet Max - we’re half human too.”

He snorted, “Not the better half.”

She didn’t know why, but Tess started to get angry - angry at his passiveness - at his unwillingness to share…any part of himself with her. If he let nothing effect him - how would he ever love her? How would he ever show love to their child?

“What gives you the right? What gives you the right not to even give a damn? What gives you the right to decide who’s better - who gets to live and who gets to die?”

“The throne of Antar.” he answered back, sounding just like Nasedo. “The throne and genetic superiority - I do because I can and the humans can’t. What do you think would happen if they found out what you are Tess? Grant Sorrenson died of a blood clot to the brain - you think you would go so easily if the special unit got their hands on you? You heard the stories from Nasedo - how they disected the other alien - alive. Where was their precious emotional superiority then, huh? You want to share your guilt and your feelings with someone? You want comfort? Go to Isabel or Micheal, cause you won’t get it from me.”

“So we’re just going to continue like it never happened. Just keep working our way down the list?”

The anger was gone from Max now, as he explained for what felt like the twentieth time, “We’ll be more careful next time…I won’t dig so deep - you won’t push so hard. But we have to keep going, we need that information.” He paused and then asked, “What do you think will happen if Nicolas finds the Granolith first?”

Tess countered, “They can’t operate it without the seal…”

Max cut her off, “Not now, but that doesn’t mean they won’t find a way. You know what will happen to this planet if Kivar gets his hands on the Granolith, or our planet for that matter. It’s a race Tess, a race for our lives - for everyone‘s lives. We have to win. We have to keep going. And I need your head in the game. Go feel whatever you need to feel - cry in the corner if you have to, but at the end of the day, I need you focused.”

He didn’t know what was going on in Tess’ head - what had made her - softer, towards the humans and her life here, but he needed her to understand. He took the pocket knife out. She had given it to him last Christmas. He opened it, and sliced the palm of his hand, showing the gash to her.

“Max!” Tess shouted

He let the blood drip on the carpet. Then he opened his hand, put his other hand over it and healed himself. When he opened his hand, the wound was gone. He swiped his hand over the stained carpet and it was white once again, as if the blood had never been there in the first place.

“See Tess, none of this is real - its temporary. It never happened. It doesn’t matter.”

Tess looked at Max. They’d made progress these last weeks. He looked at her more as an asset then an annoyance now. She didn’t want to backslide with him. She didn’t want him to slip further away from her. So she nodded her head and kept her mouth shut, even though inside she thought, “I bet it matters to Grant Sorrenson.”

Max had meant what he said to Tess - Sorrenson’s death didn’t really bother him. But it bothered him that it didn’t bother him. It had obviously effected Isabel - she walked around like someone just shot her dog - she couldn’t eat, she had nightmares. Michael was all of a sudden timid about using his powers - like he was afraid of them or something. And Tess was suddenly conflicted - like she didn’t know what she wanted and didn’t understand, herself, why she felt that way.

He wasn’t a sociopath. He didn’t enjoy killing or hurting… anything. But he had a responsibility - a massive responsibility. His destiny was to get them home and save an entire planet of people who were waiting for him - thousands, maybe millions. If a few humans had to be injured or killed in the process - wasn’t that worth it?

It was easier for Michael. Although Max knew Michael agreed with his decisions - it wasn’t Michael who had to make them. He just hides behind my decisions, Max thought, and if things go bad, he shrugs it off, because it wasn’t his call in the first place. And it was true. It was he who was the leader - it was he who had to keep pushing the others to find answers. Even with his powers - it was he who had to decide who got to live or die, as Tess put it- who got to be saved and who didn’t. Every day of his life was a constant weighing of options and outcomes.

Last year he witnessed a man saving his daughter from an oncoming car. The man himself had been struck and for a moment Max had wanted to heal him. Didn’t he deserve it? He had given his life for another. But when the crowd had gathered, Max shrank back. Would someone see him use his powers? Would the man turn him in if he realized what had been done to him, even if it saved his life. Would the special unit come for them all? Could he put them in that kind of danger? In the end he had left the man to die. He just couldn’t risk it.

Max looked out the window and contemplated the stars . Isabel and Michael, and now even Tess all seemed so connected to this planet, in some way that he just… wasn’t. It made him feel alone - like an outsider among outsiders. Even though Michael had tried to hide it - Max had seen the way he had looked at that girl in wood shop. The interest…the desire to know her - maybe to let her know him - it was there plain on his face.

He, on the other hand, had never met anyone or seen anything that made him want. He had never had the desire to know these people - to let these people see him - people with whom he just didn’t belong. For as long as he could remember his only desire had been to go home, to feel home.

He sighed as he turned over, willing himself to a sleep that wouldn‘t come. He had never felt so lonely. Is this how it felt to be a King? The chilling isolation crept into his chest as a small voice in his head whispered, “They think you’re a monster, Max. You saw the way Isabel looked at you that night. They’ll follow you, but they don’t understand you, anymore then you understand your own emptiness.”

Maybe it was better this way, he thought. Maybe he would go insane if he had to experience the pain, the need, the sorrow, the guilt that accompanied many of the decisions he had to make. He had a job to do and he would do it - it was his mantra. He would stay in control. Nothing else mattered. He would protect the four of them and get them to Antar, even if the other three hated him by the time they got there.

With that thought in mind, Max willed himself to block out the sound of the screams of Sorrenson‘s girlfriend. The anguished screams that, unbeknownst to anyone else, he couldn’t quite manage to get out of his head. Forcing them away, Max closed his eyes to fall, as always, into a sleep without dreams.
trulov
Addicted Roswellian

Post by trulov »

Chapter 10

Liz pulled up in front of Langely Towers, stepped out of her black BMW and tossed the keys to the valet. As she took the elevator up, she straightened her Armani suit and looked at her nails - she needed a manicure. Walking towards her office, she grabbed her coffee and her messages from Angela, her personal secretary. Sitting down behind her imposing desk, gazing at the magnificent view of LA, she looked every bit the successful, no nonsense executive her reputation hailed.

She had a full day ahead of her, so she was just slightly put off when Kal walked in her door.

Getting right to the point he asked, “What are your plans this weekend?”

She internally sighed. As thriving as her professional life had been - valedictorian of UCLA with a double degree in business and production arts - a comet like rise to the top of Langley Productions and Management Music Department - a long list of clients who were top performers that hung on her every word - her personal life, was spiraling rapidly towards failure. “I have no plans this weekend.”

Although Kal, the boss, had been hoping to hear just that, the fatherly side of Kal was more then a little concerned. Liz was great at her job and he knew she loved it, but to him she often she seemed lonely - a string of brief and unsuccessful relationships behind her. He inquired after her current beau. “Where’s…what’s his name…Steven?”

Starting to look over the contracts on her desk Liz replied matter of factly, “I broke it off with Steven last week.”

“But you two seemed so compatible?”

“Honestly, we just didn’t click - you know - it wasn’t going to go anywhere.”

“You didn‘t date very long. How do you know it wouldn‘t have worked?”

She looked up at him, and speaking to him like this, in confidence, to Kal, Liz looked like a teenager again. “I just did. I pretty much know within a few minutes of meeting someone if he and I could work out. It’s like I just feel this…click. Or…I don’t.”

“Don’t tell me I’ve got a romantic on my hands. You’re not talking “love at first sight” are you?”

“No, no nothing like that. But something inside me just knows if this is someone I could fall in love with, you know? Plus there was just no passion with Steven. Kissing him was like kissing a donut.” She resumed scanning her papers.

“I’m sorry, a donut?” Kal asked confused.

“Yeah, he was all mouth and no tongue.” Liz formed an “o” with her mouth and then shook her head distastefully.

“Wow, sorry I asked. There’s a visual I definitely didn’t need.”

Liz looked up at him with a sly smile on her face and a wicked gleam in her eye. “What about you? Been clickin’ with anyone lately?”

Slightly flustered, Kal responded, “This is not something I’m really comfortable…”

Liz so rarely saw Kal embarrassed by anything, she couldn’t help but have some fun with him, “Come on Kalvin. We’re both adults now. I remember Rosa telling Ms. Jensen about your “lady friends” who would come over in the evening after I was…”

“Liz…”

“That’s a pretty big bed you got in that room Kal. Level with me, how many notches do you have on the bed post by now?”

He was certainly not going to have this conversation with her. He’d been stupendously relieved when Liz was twelve and her nanny at the time had agreed to have “the talk” with her. He definitely was not touching this topic with her now.

“As fascinating a place as this conversation seems to be going, there is a reason I came in here.”

Laughing, Liz let him off the hook, “I’m sure there was - what’s up?”

“There’s a band I want you to go see, in Dallas. They’re making quite a buzz on the county fair and local bar circuit. If they’ re half as good as I’ve heard, I want you to sign them and get them in a studio this week.”

“And you’re not going because…”

“I have a meeting in New York on Saturday that I can’t reschedule. So I figured, if you were free, sending you would be the same as if…”

“You went yourself.” She finished for him.

“Exactly.” Kal smiled - he loved how they understood each other.

She through him off a little when she asked, “Why can’t I go to New York? I haven’t been to Manhattan in ages.”

He explained quickly, “There’s a director who's wasting money. I need to break his balls a little.” When she started to object he continued, “And although I know you can break balls with the best of them - this is something I’d prefer to handle myself.” When she still didn’t look satisfied he added, “How about next month, we schedule a shopping trip in Manhattan? On me.”

A blinding smile spread across Liz’s face. He was so sweet - he was so easy. “Sounds good” she wiggled her eyebrows, “Liz likey!”

“Fantastic.” Kal smiled. When did he become so goddamn soft? Oh yes - that’s right - the minute she’d said his name.

He handed her a file with the band’s information, and a first class plane ticket. When she saw the ticket, she pouted dramatically. “I suppose you’re taking the private jet?”

“Yes, poor little princess. You have to take first class.”

Liz stuck her tongue out at him, “It’s not my fault you’ve spoiled me.” She looked at the ticket and stood to leave, putting the file in her briefcase, while Kal responded, “True. I just didn’t realize how much until now. Hope I didn’t ruin you for the rest of the men out there?”

She chuckled as she looked over the airline ticket, “No, not quite. I'm sure there's a prince or a King somewhere who could top you.” He had no response to her joke, so she said, “I’ve got to run. I have just enough time to get home and pack before I have to be at LAX to make this flight, and I have to have Angela shuffle my today to next week. Have a good time in New York. I’ll call your cell after I see the band.”

“Okay,” he said affectionately, “Have a safe trip.”

As Liz walked out of her office, leaving Kal sitting on her desk, she poked her head back in and asked, “By the way - what’s the name of the band I’m seeing in Dallas?”

He glanced at the duplicate file in his hand and answered, “The Whits.”