Broken (ADULT M/L) (Complete)

This is the gallery for the winners of the fanfic awards to show off their fics, and their banners!

Moderators: Itzstacie, Forum Moderators

Emz80m
Roswell Fanatic

Re: Broken (ADULT M/L) - 30; Pg 17, 17/3/08

Post by Emz80m »

Liz POV

I can’t sit still the entire ride to the airport. “You ok?” Max asks.

“No,” I shake my head. “There has to be something I can do. Maybe if I call Eric or...”

“No.” Max snaps.

“But it’s me they want. Maybe I can convince him to let her go?” I argue.

“I doubt it. If he’s willing to go this far to find you then I doubt he’s going to just let her go because you speak to him. He’ll want something in return, most likely you and there is no way in hell I’m letting you swap yourself, Liz. Michael will get Maria out safely.”

I’m not sure if I believe him. I saw the premonition and I saw the guns they had. Michael can’t heal so what happens if they shoot her or something before Max can get there?

I still feel on edge when we get to the airport. Max and Isabel go to the reservations desk to get our seats so I pick up my cell and dial the number to Amy’s shop. Maybe if I can’t speak to Eric directly I can at least try and negotiate Maria’s release with the goons that have her.

“What are you doing Liz?” Kyle asks from the back seat.

“Just give me a sec,” I tell him walking away a few steps.

The phone rings out but I know if I keep ringing that eventually someone will have to pick it up.

Maria POV

“Who’s ringing?” Goon number one asks when the phone rings again for the third time in a row.

“I don’t know,” I croak.

“Answer it,” he demands to goon number two.

“What do I say?” he asks.

“Just tell whoever it is the place is closed and to stop ringing,” he snaps.

Liz POV

I almost can’t believe it when the phone is finally picked up.

“We’re closed, stop ringing,” the voice answers gruffly.

“Wait,” I cry out. “I know who you’re looking for, I can help you.” I tell them.

I see out of the corner of my eye that Kyle has moved closer and it looking at me with an unhappy look.

Maria POV

“Who is this?” Goon two demands after a second of silence.

Goon one doesn’t like the sound of things anymore than me and quickly approaches the phone.

“She says she knows who we’re looking for and she can help us,” he explains.

I almost gasp because I know without a doubt that it’s Liz on the other end and if that’s the case then it must mean that someone knows that I’m in trouble and that help is already on the way. I sigh in relief.

“Who is it?” he asks.

Liz POV

“It's Claudia,” I tell him.

“Why should we believe you?” he asks.

“Who else would know that name since it doesn’t really exist, and who else would know that it’s me you’re looking for?” I ask sensibly. Like I thought, these are Eric’s guys and they aren’t exactly FBI or anything.

“What’s going on?” I hear Max ask Kyle as he approaches us.

“She’s talking to someone and she just told them that she’s Claudia,” he explains.

“I’m not sure why you guys have my friend Maria but I can tell you one thing, she doesn’t know who I am so she’s going to be useless to you,” I inform them.

I hear a rustle then and the phone is passes to someone else.

“How did you know we had your friend?” he asks.

“Tell your boss I know a lot more than he thinks,” I replied.

“So you claim your friend doesn’t know where you are?” he asks.

“That’s right. She doesn’t. So just let her go.” I demand.

“Well it seems to me that even though she might not know where she is that we should keep hold of her, she’s obviously important to you and if you don’t want her hurt I suggest you come to Roswell.”

“Why would I do that?” I ask.

“Because that’s the only way you’re ever going to see your friend alive again,” he warns.

“Please don’t hurt her,” I plead.

“The boss wants to see you. I'll tell him you’re on your way.” he says before he hangs up.

Immediately tears well in my eyes. I never honestly thought that Maria could get hurt because of me.

“What’s wrong?” Max demands.

“They said that unless I come to Roswell they’re going to kill her,” I sob into Max’s chest.

“Why did you call them Liz” Max sighs.

I know he’s not happy with me but I just couldn’t sit by and let Maria be hurt because of me.

Max looks to Isabel then. “Call Michael,” he says. “We get Maria out now before these guys have a chance to do anything stupid.”

Michael POV

Valenti’s men have the place surrounded now. At first I thought it was the best move but now I realise I’m going to have to get Maria out without using my powers. I watch as they talk to someone on the phone and wonder how I can get a message to Maria that we’re out here and we’re going to get her out.

I watch as the main guy hangs the phone up before he marches to the front of the shop and looks out the window.

“Shit, we’ve been made,” I curse to Valenti.

My phone vibrates in my pocket and I answer it quickly.

“What’s going on?” Isabel asks.

“We’ve just been made,” I tell her.

“Yeah, Liz just spoke to them so they must have realised someone had tipped her off.”

“What the hell is Liz thinking?” I demand angrily.

“She was trying to help.”

“Yeah well tell her that she’s blown our element of surprise now, they’re ready for us.”

“Can’t be helped now. They threatened to kill Maria if Liz didn’t give herself up. Max says it’s time to get her out before they do something stupid.”

“They’re already on the phone, probably tipping off their boss,” I inform her. I agree with Max. Now that they’ve threatened Maria’s life it’s time to take them out quickly.

“Yeah, I think it’s a certainty that he’s in Roswell somewhere because they told Liz to bring herself to Roswell straight away.”

“Yeah,” I agree. “I’ve got to go. I'll call when we’ve got her.”

“If we don’t answer we’re in the air, ok? Good luck and stay safe.”

“Thanks,” I reply before I hang up the phone.

“What’s going on?” Valenti asks.

“They know we’re here”, I tell him.

“Yeah, I figured when they came to the front of the shop,” he shrugs. “Doesn’t change anything.”

“Liz spoke to them,” I say then. “They told her that if she didn’t come to Roswell they’d kill Maria. Max wants us to go in now.”

“Yeah I think that’s the best idea but you should stay out. There are too many people now for you to risk using your powers,” he says.

“So give me a gun.” I shrug.

“I can’t do that Michael. You know that as well as I do.”

“I’m going in,” I tell him.

I stand up then and make my way to the front of the shop and using my powers I open the glass door and walk straight in.

Maria POV

“Michael,” I gasp when the front door opens and he walks right into the firing line.

The two goons both turn and point their guns at him.

“Who the hell are you?” they ask.

“Your worst nightmare unless you let her go,” he replies and despite the situation I smile. I don’t know what he’s doing here but I’ve never been so happy to see him before. He looks good, but worse than that he looks angry and I know that things are about to get ugly.

They both look at each other before they laugh at him. It only takes the one second that they take their eyes off him for Michael to act. His hand goes up and they go flying across the room, their guns falling to the floor.

Michael races over to me and another swipe of his hands the binds holding my arms behind my back and feet are gone.

One of the goons is back to his feet and scrambling for the gun now and Michael wastes no time pushing me behind his body.

“How did you do that?” he demands. “Are you some type of freak?”

“I’m the worst kind of freak,” Michael sneers at them.

Valenti and a group of deputies burst through the front door then, guns raised.

“Put the gun down,” Valenti demands.

“He did something to me!” the guy yells whilst point his gun in our direction.

“Put it down, I won’t warn you again.” Valenti tells him.

I see Michael’s hand poised by his side and ready to use in case we need it. I cling to his back, his shirt crushed in my hands as tears of relief flow down my face.

“Didn’t you see it, he threw me across the room without even touching me,” the goon continues to rant.

“One,” Valenti warns

“Two,” the gun is still being pointed at us.

“Three,” the bullet is released before the goon knows it and hits him in the shoulder sending him flying to the floor.

The deputies rush the body then and make sure that the guns are all secure.

“It's over now,” I hear Michael whisper as his body turns around and his strong arms wrap around me tightly.

“Oh God. I thought they were going to kill me,” I sob into his chest

“Shh it’s ok now. I won’t let anything happen to you,” he assures me and in that second I know without a doubt that he’s telling me the truth. Michael Guerin will protect me with his life and with that knowledge I’ve never felt safer in my whole life than I do right then, wrapped in his arms.
Emz80m
Roswell Fanatic

Re: Broken (ADULT M/L) - 31; Pg 18, 24/3/08

Post by Emz80m »

Thanks everyone

Natalie36
Tamashii
begoinia9508
xmag
IzzyEvans2201_PuertoRico
Christable
Timelord31
L-J-L 76
roswell2448

Michael POV

It’s hours later and I’m still with Maria at the Sheriff’s department. After the goons were taken away Maria and I had to go with Valenti to give him a statement.

“Is everything ok?” I ask as Valenti approaches us. Maria and I are sitting in his office but neither of us has really spoken since we got there.

“The guy that passed out doesn’t remember much but the other guy is sticking to his story that you did something to him,” Valenti replies

“So? Who’s going to believe him?” I ask. I’m pretty confident that I have nothing to worry about.

“No one probably, but I wouldn’t advise sticking around too long. The FBI is bound to still have their ears open for things around here,” he sighs.

“Great.” I reply in frustration.

That’s all we need. Just when Maria was able to come home and the others are on their way I go and blow everything.

“I'll tell the others to stay out of town.” I tell him regretfully. I know that Isabel and Liz will be disappointed that they will miss the chance of seeing their parents, along with Kyle.

“The others are coming?” Maria asks.

“Yeah, they should be here in the next few hours.” I nod.

I see a smile light up her face and I instantly wonder who it’s for. Is it because she is going to see Liz again or is it for Max? I find myself frowning at the thought. It brings back memories of everything that has happened between us over the past 12 months and reminds we why it is that we’re no longer together. It's wasn’t just because we were different people but it was because Maria fell in love with my best friend, my brother.

Maria POV

The news Valenti delivers isn’t exactly what I wanted to hear. Apart from being kidnapped and held at gun point by the two goons, I’ve enjoyed being back in Roswell and I don’t really want to have to leave, but now I don’t think I want to be here on my own either because I can see it’s not exactly safe. If Michael hadn’t been there for me tonight who knows what might have happened.

I smile though when Michael informs us that the others are on their way. I’ve missed them and it will be good to see them all, especially Liz who I can see from all the photos is looking more pregnant every day.

I see Michael frown at my reaction and I can practically feel the walls go up around him from where I’m sitting.

“What’s wrong?” I ask.

“Nothing.” he shakes his head.

I get the feeling that right now he’d move across the room if he could.

“What do we do now?” he asks Valenti.

“You’re free to go. Lay low though, especially since we have no idea where this Eric guy is, or what he’s capable of.” Valenti replies.

“Thanks,” Michael replies and stands up.

I follow and after giving Jim a hug I follow Michael out of the room.

“Where are we going?” I ask as we make our way outside.

“My hotel room,” he shrugs.

“I need to call my mum,” I tell him.

“Go for it,” he nods.

I frown. “Why did you come?” I find myself asking him instead of taking my cell out and calling my mum.

“What?” he asks.

“Why are you here in Roswell?” I ask.

There are a million thoughts running around in my head about why he could possibly be here. At first I was convinced it was because he came to help me but now I realise that the others wouldn’t have let him come by himself, and he rode over here on his bike which meant he rode the whole way out here.

“You gonna call your mum or what?” he asks ignoring my question.

My frown deepens. Why won’t he look me in the eye? I know that Serena went home to her family Liz filled me on it but she never went into why and I’m wondering why right now.

I know that now isn’t the time to push him so I quickly call my mum and let her know where I'll be.

“Ready?” he asks.

“Let's go.” I agree.

Liz POV

Max has been quiet the entire plane ride and I can’t say I blame him. I know he’s angry with me. It's bubbling under the surface just waiting for the right time to come out. I know it won’t be directed at me when it does, and I pity the person who pushes him over the edge, feel sorry for them even.

“I’m sorry,” I whisper.

He looks over at me and smiles. “I just want to make sure you and the baby are safe, always.” he whispers.

“I know.” I nod.

“Promise me that when we reach Roswell that you won’t do anything stupid. You won’t go somewhere without me or Michael?” he pleads.

“I promise,” I tell him and this time I intend to keep his promise. Being back in the hands of Eric scares me.

“Ladies and gentleman we will be starting our descent into Albuquerque, please return to your seats and fasted your seatbelts.”

“Not long now,” I sigh in relief.

Max nods, “It will all be alright. There is no way Michael would ever let anything happen to Maria.” he assures me and I nod and smile knowing that he’s right. Michael would have moved heaven and earth before he let any harm come to Maria.

Michael POV

This Romeo is bleeding
But you can’t see his blood
its nothing but some feelings
that this old dog kicked up

I can barely stand the tension when we reach the hotel room. I know that there is only so much time before Maria will start asking questions again and I have no idea how I’m supposed to answer them, or if I’m ready.

It’s been raining since you left me
Now I’m drowning in the flood
You see I’ve always been a fighter
But without you I give up

I watch as she looks around the hotel, apart from my backpack, which I threw on the bed after checking in, there is nothing.

“Do you know what time the others are getting here?” she asks.

“Max will call as soon as they land,” I tell him.

She nods. I have no idea what that means. There was a time I used to know her so well, when I knew what she was thinking without words. Those times have past and like many other things, I miss them.

Now I can’t sing a love song
Like the way it’s meant to be
Well, I guess I’m not that good anymore
But baby, that’s just me

I pull my cell out of my pocket and place it on the table before I sink tiredly into the bed. I close my eyes so that I do not have to look at her stare.

“Michael,” she whispers.

“Yeah?” I ask. I still don’t open my eyes though.

“You never answered my questions. Why are you here?” she asks.

“Does it matter?” I ask a few seconds later.

“Yes, it matters to me.” she replies.

Intrigued I open my eyes and raise my head to look at her.

And I will love you, baby - always
And I’ll be there forever and a day - always
Ill be there till the stars don’t shine
Till the heavens burst and
The words don’t rhyme
And I know when I die, you’ll be on my mind
And Ill love you – always

“I just got on my bike one night planning on going for a ride and I found myself in Roswell,” I shrug finally deciding to give her some semblance of the truth.

“Why now?” she asks.

“I’m not sure,” I tell her.

“Did you come to see me?” she wonders.

Now your pictures that you left behind
Are just memories of a different life
Some that made us laugh, some that made us cry
One that made you have to say goodbye
What I’d give to run my fingers through your hair
To touch your lips, to hold you near
When you say your prayers try to understand
I’ve made mistakes, I’m just a man

“I guess so. I’m here aren’t I?”

“After what you said, I didn’t think you ever wanted to see me again,” she whispers and I’m reminded of how much I hurt her when I said those words. Doesn’t she realise why I said them? That it hurt that she was running from me again.

“Someone has to make sure you’re safe.” I reply.

“Liz checks in all the time and Valenti keeps an eye on me,” she tells me.

“Is that your way of saying you don’t need me?” I challenge. “Because...”

“That’s not fair,” she cries. “No one could ever have predicted what happened.”

“Liz did,” I remind her.

When he holds you close, when he pulls you near
When he says the words you’ve been needing to hear
Ill wish I was him cause those words are mine
To say to you till the end of time

Yeah, I will love you baby - always
And I’ll be there forever and a day – always

She turns away from me in frustration. I can hardly blame her.

“Why do you care anyway?” I find myself asking.

“You think I don’t care about you?” she asks.

I shrug again.

“God Michael, don’t you know how important you are to me, who you are to me?” she asks.

“I guess I don’t,” I shrug not sure what words are going to come out of her mouth next.

“Wow, we really made a mess of things, didn’t we?” she sighs and sits down on the bed near my feet.

If you told me to cry for you
I could
If you told me to die for you
I would
Take a look at my face
There’s no price I won’t pay
To say these words to you

”Michael, I can honestly assure you that if I have learnt something over the past few months, especially since I’ve been home, it’s that I definitely took the people in my life for granted in the past. Especially you. I’m sorry for that, but I’m mostly sorry that you don’t believe how much I loved you anymore, and that I’ve probably lost you from my life forever.”

“What about Max? Are you still in love with him too?” I ask and my eyes narrow as I wait for the answer.

“No Michael I’m not.”

Well, there ain't no luck
In these loaded dice
But baby if you give me just one more try
We can pack up our old dreams
And our old lives
Well find a place where the sun still shines

“To tell you the truth I’m not sure what it is that I ever felt for Max but I do know that it’s not something I want to pursue anymore. Max is my friend, period,” she adds.

“What does that mean?” I ask in frustration as I get off the bed and begin posting.

“It means that I’m going to leave Max and Liz alone.” she replies.

“That’s not what I mean. Where does that leave us?” I ask.

And I will love you, baby - always
And I’ll be there forever and a day - always
Ill be there till the stars don’t shine
Till the heavens burst and
The words don’t rhyme
And I know when I die, you’ll be on my mind
And Ill love you – always

I watch as she opens her mouth preparing to answer me when my cell rings to life.

Both our eyes dart towards the cell for two different reasons. One because we know it means our time alone has come to an end and two because now that the others are here the fun and games are only just beginning.

Always – Bon Jovi
Emz80m
Roswell Fanatic

Re: Broken (ADULT M/L) - 32; Pg 19, 31/3/08

Post by Emz80m »

Posting and running today guys, Enjoy!

Max POV

As soon as our feet touch the ground I turn my cell on and it begins ringing. Not recognising the number I answer.

“Hello?”

“Max?”

“Is that you Jim?” I ask surprised.

“Yeah it is. I’m glad I finally got hold of you,” he sighs in relief.

“Is everything ok?” I ask. “Did you get Maria out?” I ask quickly.

We’ve come to a stop in the airport and the others are watching and waiting for a response.

“Yeah Michael went in and got her out, but he had to use his powers.” he replies.

“Shit.” I curse.

“FBI?” I ask.

“No sign yet but the way this guy is carrying on they’re bound to hear about it sooner or later.”

“I guess we better be careful then,” I say.

“Yeah that would be wise but I have some good news,” he informs me.

“Yeah?”

“I found this Eric guy.”

I can’t believe how happy his words make me. This is going to save Michael and me a considerable amount of work.

“You got the details?” I ask.

“Yeah, he’s staying in the pent house of this unfinished unit complex they just built outside of town. One of my deputies pulled him over and it’s a bit hard to miss the high end rental car in a small town like Roswell.”

“Thanks for that Jim.” I tell him.

“What are you planning on doing?” he asks then and I can tell from the tone of his voice that he’s slightly worried, maybe he should be because I don’t have any intentions of letting Eric Johnson hurt anyone again.

“Taking care of my family. I’ll keep you out of it as much as I can,” I tell him.

“That would be good,” he says.

“Thanks again Jim and hopefully we’ll get to see you before we leave again,” I tell him.

“You better, tell that son of mine to take care.” he says.

I grin, “Will do Jim. Bye.”

As soon as I hang up, I see three mouths opening to being firing questions at me so I silence them with my hand.

“Maria is fine. Michael had to go in and he exposed himself but so far there is no sign of the FBI,” I tell them.

They all sigh in relief accept Isabel. “Does that mean we can’t stick around in Roswell?” she asks.

I know she desperately wanted to see our parents and I hate that there is a possibility she might not be able to now.

“Maybe,” I tell her. “We’ll just have to assess the situation once we get there.”

“Where are we heading now?” Liz asks.

“I’ll call Michael and find out where he wants to meet. Jim has also been able to establish where Eric is too,” I tell them.

Liz’s face pales. “What are you going to do?”

“I’m going to take care of him once and for all.” I declare.

Maria POV

I watch as Michael picks up the cell and talks into it briefly telling someone, whom I assume is Max, where to find us.

“Max?” I ask when he hangs up.

“Yeah they’re on their way,” he says and stands up reaching for his duffel bag.

“What are you doing?” I ask.

“Jim was able to find out where Eric is. Max wants me ready to go as soon as he gets here,” he replies.

“What is he planning?” I frown.

“To take him out I assume. That’s what I’d do.”

“But that’s so unlike Max.” I cry.

“It’s amazing what someone would do when the person they love is being threatened,” he tells me and his eyes say it all because isn’t that exactly what he just did for me? He exposed himself, and possibly the others, to save me.

“Michael…” I whisper.

“Yeah?” he asks distractedly as he searches his bag for something.

“About your earlier question...”

“What about it?” he asks still not looking at me.

“I’m not sure what’s going to happen when everything is said and done but I do know that I don’t want to lose you from my life again, I care too much for you for that to happen,” I tell him.

Finally, he looks up at me. His eyes are full of emotion. “What am I supposed to do with that Maria? I mean does that mean you just want us to be friends? Do you want to try us again?” he asks.

“I don’t know,” I tell him honestly. “Honestly, Michael, I thought that you and I were over for good. After the way we left things I never thought that you would want to see me again let alone have some type of relationship with me, and there’s Serena…”

“What has Serena got do to with you and me?” he asks.

“The two of you were together for a year Michael. Obviously you had feelings for her and you have only been broken up a few months.”

“You’re right, I did have feelings for Serena but at the end of the day we were never going to work out because Serena knew that my heart didn’t lie with her, it lied with you,” he says passionately. “It’s always going to lie with you,” he adds with a whisper before averting his eyes again.

I feel tears fill my eyes. “That’s the nicest thing you’ve ever said to me,” I cry.

He looks up at me surprised. “Well I mean it.”

I nod and smile at him knowing that somehow we’ve finally reached some common ground and maybe, just maybe, we can actually find our way to the other side.

Liz POV

I can’t define what I’m feeling as we drive to the motel to meet Michael and Maria. I know I’m excited that I’m going to see Maria again but I’m nervous about Max’s plans to take out Eric. One thing I am certain of is that none of his plans involve me. Max doesn’t want me anywhere near Eric and I can’t blame him. I’m just worried about what is going to happen.

“So what’s the plan Max?” Kyle finally asks.

“Well, we’re going to meet Michael and Maria first and then I think it would be best if you guys stay at the hotel with Isabel whilst Michael and I confront this Eric guy.”

“Are you sure you two can handle it?” Isabel asks unsure.

“Yes,” Max nods.

“Max, you have no idea how much security this guys has,” I argue.

“Does he normally have a lot?” Max asks surprised.

“He’s bound to have a couple of body guards,” I nod.

“Even with the two that took Maria out of action?” Kyle asks. It’s amazing how much Kyle picked up from his Dad unconsciously over the years.

“Yes,” I nod. “If he’s planning on getting me back he could have more,” I warn.

“I’m coming with you.” Kyle speaks ups.

Max eyes him in the rear-view mirror before nodding. “Ok, but Isabel has to stay with the girls.”

“Maybe we’d be safer relocating to one of the parents places?” Isabel suggests then. “If Eric thinks for a second that Liz is on her way to Roswell one of the first places he’s bound to be watching in the motel and the Crashdown.”

“Good point,” Max agrees. “But we only have one car.”

“I could call mum,” Isabel says hopefully.

After a few seconds of thought, Max nods and passes his cell to Isabel who quickly begins to dial.

When we pull up at the motel room Michael gave us Isabel has already arranged for her mother to come straight over but none of this has calmed my nerves.

We all exit the car and Max knocks on the door and we wait for Michael to answer.

Maria POV

My eyes light up when I hear the knock on the door. I wait for Michael to answer it, knowing that if I get up and race towards it I'll only get a lecture about it not being safe.

When the door opens the first person I see is Max but soon he is pushed aside by Liz and Isabel who come racing towards me and embrace me in a hug.

“We were so worried about you,” they say.

“I’m ok.” I promise them.

“Are you sure?” Liz asks again. “I’m so sorry that you got dragged into this mess,” she apologises. “It's all my fault,” she adds, tears coming to her eyes.

“Don’t be silly,” I tell her.

“No, I mean you wanted to get away from all of this but because of how stupid I’ve been you ended up right in the middle of everything.”

“Liz the only person who is to blame in all of this is Eric.” I tell her sternly.

“But...”

“No buts,” I tell her. “This wasn’t your fault ok?” I smile.

“Ok,” she nods.

“It's so good to see you,” I tell her.

“You too,” she agrees.

I look at her stomach then and grin, “You’re getting big.”

“I know,” she says and I can tell how happy she is. “Is Max taking care of you?” I ask then.

“You know he is,” she whispers.

“Good,” I agree.

I cast a glance at Michael then who is talking quietly with Max in the corner. Kyle is also there and I can tell that they’re planning their next move which I have to admit scares me.

“What happens now?” I ask Liz.

“Max and Michael are going to take Eric out,” she whispers. “Max wants us to go to his parents; Dianne should be here any minute.”

“Oh,” I frown. I don’t know why but I guess I just assumed we’d all be going.

As if on cue a horn blows from outside the hotel room door and we all look at each other.

Max quickly moves across the room and takes Liz in his arms. Kyle and Isabel are already hugging. I stare at Michael longingly and slowly make my way towards him.

Max POV

“Please be careful,” she whispers as I take her in my arms. “Don’t take any risks,” she adds before she pulls back. Her small hand is on the bump of her stomach and there are tears running down her eyes. “We need you so much.”

“I know baby,” I whisper. “I love you both so much and I promise I’m coming back to you, ok?” I assure her.

I feel her nod against my chest. “Whatever you do stay safe and hidden and don’t leave my parents until you hear from me or I come for you ok?” I tell her.

“Ok,” she agrees.

“Valenti is going to keep an eye on you too.”

She pulls back then and I kiss her passionately. It's a kiss that says everything that we both feel about each other as well as all her fears that this could be our last.

“I love you, I'll see you soon,” I tell her and step back.

“I love you too,” she whispers before joining Isabel and making her way out the door.

Michael POV

I feel the awkwardness as the others all pair up and soon Maria is walking towards me.

“Be safe Space boy,” she whispers and I smile slightly. It's been a long time since I heard her call me that. I used to hate it but now I just miss it.

“I will,” I nod.

“Don’t be the hero ok? Just come back to us, come back to me.” she adds.

“Maria...”

“No don’t,” she stops me. “Just concentrate on what you have to do right now,” she tells me and I understand what she means. Everything between us can wait, right now I need to concentrate on my mission and what’s important, and that’s making sure we’re all safe.

“I'll see you soon,” I whisper.

“Yeah, you better Space boy.” She smiles before she makes her way out room with Isabel and Liz.

I look to Max and Kyle then, the only two other people left in the room. We wait until we hear the car pull away before I speak.

“Are we ready?” I ask.

“Yep, let’s do this,” Kyle claps his hands together.

“It's time to end this.” Max agrees and I know for a fact that I have never seen my brother, my best friend more serious about anything before. This is a war and I know without a doubt that when everything is said and done that I'll be on the winning side.
Emz80m
Roswell Fanatic

Re: Broken (ADULT M/L) - 33; Pg 20, 7/4/08

Post by Emz80m »

Enjoy!

Liz POV

It was hard to get in the car with Dianne Evans knowing where my husband, Michael and Kyle are going and knowing that anything could happen.

Although it’s wonderful to see my mother in law for the first time since she became my mother in law it’s hard to concentrate on the chatter in the car between her and Isabel.

“Liz?”

I look up when I finally realise that I’m being spoken too.

“I’m sorry Mrs Evans.” I smile.

“Don’t be darling, and its Dianne now, or mum, you’re family after all.” she tells me.

It's comforting to know that she doesn’t know about my past with Max right at this moment. I doubt somehow she would be smiling at me this way if she knew why her son was going off to kill someone, or what I had done to him.

“Stop it,” Maria whispers next to me.

I smile at her before turning my attention back to Dianne.

“I was just saying that I invited your mother over for coffee,” she grins.

“Really?” I ask.

“Yes and Amy too,” she adds for Maria.

“Oh that’s wonderful, thank you.” I tell her.

“It's fine honey, it’s the least I could do. I wish I could organise for your dad too but I thought it was best to air on the side of caution in case someone is still watching and listening,” she explains.

“Good idea,” I agree.

Eric POV

I sit and watch the dingy diner from the front seat of my car contemplating my next move.

After sitting in my hotel room waiting for my men to call for hours I realised that something hadn’t gone to plan. By now I should have either known the whereabouts of Claudia or at the very least she should have arrived in Roswell. So that’s why I find myself sitting outside her family restaurant.

Making the decision that it’s now or never I get out of the car and head inside.

“What a hole,” I whisper as I look around. No wonder she looked so comfortable working in that road side diner when I found her.

“Jeff, I’m heading over to Dianne’s now.”

I turn when I hear the voice and watch as a red headed women walks through the restaurant. I immediately realise that these are Claudia’s parents.

“Excuse me,” I stop her.

“Yes can I help you?” she asks.

“Yes, I wanted to talk to you about your daughter.” I smile.

I see her falter. “What about her?” she asks.

I look around the almost empty restaurant. “Is there somewhere more private we can talk?” I ask.

I see her hesitate. “It's important. I have some information which I’m sure you and your husband would like,” I add.

I see her curiosity has gotten the better of her and she nods. “Follow me out the back, my husband is there,” she tells me.

“Excellent,” I grin.

Valenti POV

The first thing I do when I walk into the Crashdown is look for Jeff or Nancy Parker hoping I might be able to steal a word with them in hopes of getting the news of Liz being in Roswell to them. But they’re nowhere to be found.

“Hi Sheriff, what can I get you?” a waitress asks.

“Oh I'll grab a special and a coffee to go,” I tell her. Just before she’s about to walk off I call her back.

“Are Jeff or Nancy around?” I ask.

“They just went out the back room with some guy,” she shrugs. “I could get one of them for you.”

I frown; I’m on alert about everything and everyone today after the incident with Maria. I glance out at the streetscape and notice something that I didn’t when I first pulled up. A car, an expensive car which is definitely out of place in Roswell.

“Do you know who it is?” I ask.

“Nah never seen him before, he looks wealthy though, wearing a suit and all,” she shrugs.

“Do you know what?” I say. “Can you cancel that order? I'll have to come back. I just remembered something,” I smile.

“Sure,” she says.

I reach for my phone as soon as I’m through the glass doors. The phone rings out the first time so I dial the next number I have and almost sigh in relief when it’s finally answered.

Max POV

We’re on our way to the building that Valenti informed us about when my cell rings.

“Sheriff?” I greet.

“Max thank God you answered,” he sighs in relief.

“Is everything ok?” I ask worried.

“Where are you?” he asks.

“On our way to the hotel outside of town,” I reply.

“Turn around.” he orders.

“What? Why?” I ask.

“I think that Eric Johnson is in the Crashdown as we speak.” he informs me.

“How?” I ask.

“I haven’t seen him but someone is out the back with the Parkers and there is definitely a very expensive car parked out the front.”

“Where are you?” I ask.

“Out the front. Do you want me to go in?” he asks.

“Yes,” I nod. “Turn around,” I tell Michael, “we need to get to the Crashdown now.”

“Sheriff?”

“I’m here Max.”

“Whatever you do don’t let your guard down. I don’t know what he’s doing but obviously he’s realised his earlier plan has been foiled. Who knows what he might do,” I tell him.

“I’m aware of that Max,” he says.

“We’ll be there in ten minutes.” I promise.

“What’s going on?” Kyle asks from the back seat immediately after I hang up. “Is dad ok?”

“Yeah he’s fine. Looks like Eric realised that his plan was foiled and Jim thinks he’s at the Crashdown with Nancy and Jeff right now,” I explain.

I feel the car move faster at my revelation and look over at Michael and smile in thanks. Liz would never forgive herself if something happened to her parents and neither would I.

Eric POV

The minute we’re behind the closed staff door and Jeff Parker joins us I pull out the gun from my pocket.

“Not a word.” I warn them.

“Who the hell are you and what do you want?” Jeff asks.

“Your daughter,” I tell them. “Tell me where she is and no one gets hurt,” I add.

“We don’t know,” Nancy cries, “we haven’t seen her in years.”

“Bullshit,” I spit. “I know you have recent photos of her.”

“How do you know that?” Jeff asks angrily.

I smirk. “I know everything and I want Claudia.”

“Who?” they frown.

“Liz, whatever the hell her name is. I don’t care just tell me where she is or I'll start shooting up this place starting with your wife,” I tell Jeff Parker.

“Jeff!” Nancy cries.

“Jeff, Nancy,” a voice calls out as it approaches the door so I quickly shove the gun back in my pocket but move closer to Nancy Parker, leaving no mistake what I mean by my actions

“One word and she’s my first shot,” I warn them.

I almost curse when it’s the local Sheriff that walks through the back door.

“Jeff, Nancy,” he greets.

“Hi Jim, what can we do for you?” Jeff asks nervously.

“Just hoping you might have time for a coffee.” he smiles.

“Oh I wish we could but we just received a visitor who we were going to show upstairs,” he explains.

“Hi. I’m Jim Valenti, the local Sheriff,” he introduces.

“Pleasure Sheriff,” I respond and purposely don’t supply my name.

“Must be your nice car out the front,” he says.

“Oh yes,” I nod.

“Don’t see too many cars like that in Roswell, bound to catch a bit of attention so I’d be careful if I were you,” he babbles.

“Yes, thanks for the advice.” I say.

“You look familiar,” he says then. “Do I know you?”

“I don’t think so,” I tell him.

“You sure?”

“No. I’ve never been to Roswell before,” I tell him.

“Right. My mistake,” he nods.

I shoot a look at Jeff Parker then and convey with my eyes that it’s time to get rid of the cop in front of me.

“Right well thanks for dropping in Jim, Nance and I will catch up with you later,” he says and moves towards the stairs. I place a hand on Nancy Parkers back and guide her to follow. My foot is just about to touch the first step when we hear the squeal of tyres in the alley way.

“What the hell?” Jeff curses and I can tell he’s shocked as hell by the noise.

“I'll check it out,” the sheriff offers and opens the back door to the alley way.

All too quickly he moves to the side and three men enter. I can’t react quickly enough and before I reach for the gun in my pocket I feel my body being moved against my will and flung against the wall.

“What the hell?” I curse touching my sore head before looking up at the new arrivals.

Standing above me is a young man, fire blazing in his eyes, his hand outwards.

“Who the hell are you?” I ask.

“I’m your worst nightmare so I suggest you get up,” he hisses.

Regardless of the baby face youth of this guy and of one of the others behind him I can’t help but believe he’s serious.

“You think you can come after my family?” he bends down and growls. “You think you can touch my wife?” he adds.

It's then I realise exactly who it is that is standing above me. “You’re Max Evans,” I say.

“Good guess,” he grins.
Emz80m
Roswell Fanatic

Re: Broken (ADULT M/L) - 34; Pg 5, 14/4/08

Post by Emz80m »

Hi everyone. Thank you so much for your feedback, i'm glad that you liked the last part. There is only one part to go after this and i will probably post it later this week. Enjoy

Max POV

I watch as he gets to his feet fixing his suit as he goes.

“No wonder she came to me so easily, you’re just a kid, and she wanted a real man” he smirks at me.

Michael’s fist connects with his jaw before I get the chance and I turn and glare at him.

“What?” he asks. “It's my job remember” he tells me but I still shake my head. I wonder if the time will ever come where Michael will realise he’s not my second, but my brother, my equal.

“She used to tell me about you. About how you couldn’t give her what she wanted” he smirks.

I grind my teeth together knowing that he’s just trying to get me to lose my temper so I will do something stupid.

Instead I turn to Nancy and Jeff. “Are you ok?” I ask them.

Nancy Parker is crying and I can tell that she was really scared but she nods.

“What are you doing here Max?” Jeff asks. “It's not safe” he says.

“It's ok” I tell him. “We had some problems we had to sort out” I tell him and gesture with my head to Eric. I step towards them then.

“Is Liz here?” they ask and I can see the hopeful looks in their eyes.

I nod.

“Oh my baby” Nancy cries.

“Can we see her?” Jeff asks hopefully.

“I’m sure that can be arranged” I smile.

Liz POV

“Liz why don’t you come and sit down” Isabel suggests.

I turn from my spot at the front window where I’ve been staring out since we practically walked through the door. I can’t help it but I’m nervous and scared and I won’t be able to sit and relax until Max walks through the door again.

“How about a cup of coffee or something?” Dianne suggests when I don’t move from my spot.

“I’m sorry” I apologise.

“Don’t be sorry Lizzie, we’re all worried” Maria replies as she comes up next to me and wraps an arm around me.

I feel the tears gather in my eyes and I’m helpless to stop them. “I know, I’m sorry I’m being such a baby but I’m so scared something is going to happen to them and all because of me” I tell her. I turn around so she can engulf me into her arms and I let the tears fall.

“This isn’t your fault”

“Of course it is” I cry.

“I brought him into our lives. If I hadn’t been so stupid if I’d...”

“Liz you can play the what if game forever but eventually you’re going to have to realise that Eric and only Eric is responsible for his actions” Isabel speaks up.

I try to wipe the tears away and notice that Dianne Evans has discreetly left the room and for that I’m thankful.

“I would never forgive myself if something happened to one of them, if either of you lost Kyle or Michael”

I see the fear appear in their eyes from my words and instantly regret it.

“They’re going to be. You’ll see” Maria assures me.

Michael POV

“So what’s the plan?” I ask Max.

“I’m not sure” he replies.

I can tell by the look on his face that Max isn’t as prepared for this as he first thought. None of us has ever killed someone in cold blood and somehow I don’t think we’ll be starting today either.

“We can’t do this Max. It's not you, it’s not us” I tell him.

“I know” he replies with a sigh.

“What do we do then?” he asks me.

I look towards Eric who is still standing by the wall Max threw him against but it doesn’t produce any answers.

“I honestly don’t know” I tell him.

Isabel POV

When my cell phone rings on the coffee table I watch as we all resist the urge to leap on it at once.

I pick it up calmly and meet Maria and Liz’s eyes before I answer.

“Hello”

“Iz, it’s Max”

“Thank god” I sigh in relief. This is the first time I’ve allowed my fears to become apparent to Liz and Maria. I knew that I needed to be strong for them.

“Tell me everyone is ok”

“We’re all ok” he replies. “But we have a problem”

“What’s wrong?” I ask alarmed.

“Eric showed up the Crashdown, pulled a gun on the Parkers”

“Oh god” I gasp causing Maria and Liz to rush to my side.

“They’re ok” I assure them and they both sigh in relief.

“But we’re not quite sure what to do now” Max says.

“Oh ok”

“Any suggestions?” he asks and I can hear from the tone of his voice that he’s hoping I can supply the answers he needs.

“Can’t Valenti lock him up?” I ask.

“His hot shot lawyers will have him out so quickly it won’t be funny and there is nothing to stop him from having people continue to track Liz from jail” he replies.

He’s right and I guess that leaves us in a pickle. “I'll talk to the girls but I think you might be on your own with this one” I reply.

“Thanks Iz, we’ll call again soon”

“Bye” I reply before hanging up.

Max POV

I’m just hanging up the phone after my call to Isabel when I see Eric move out of the corner of my eye.

I immediately curse myself for letting my guard down as he makes his move and reaches for Jim’s gun from his holster.

“Jim!” I call out trying to warn him but it’s already too late. Eric has the gun in his hand and is pointing it straight at the back of Jim Valenti’s head.

“You don’t want to do that” I warn.

Eric smirks at me, “no I’m pretty sure I do” he replies.

Michael comes rushing into the room then and a string of curses leave his mouth as he takes in the situation.

“Take him out Max” he says.

“It's ok Max” Jim tries to assure me, “he doesn’t have the balls”

“Don’t I?” Eric chuckles.

“Max this is my dad” Kyle whispers from next to his father. I see the look on his face and I know there is no decision to be made.

“I’m going to warn you once Eric, put it down or I'll make you” I say calmly.

He looks at me with the patented smirk I’ve come to know in the hour since I’ve met him. I won’t deny that in his suit with his sandy blonde hair most women would find him attractive and I have no doubt his act is good, it must have been to get Liz to trust him in any capacity.

“I want that bitch Liz and I want her now” he says. “Get her here and I'll let him live” he says.

“You’re never going to see my wife again” I tell him.

He chuckles again then, “what makes you think I don’t already have my men out there looking for her”

I freeze at his words and turn my gaze to Michael who with a nod quickly takes off. It's only seconds later I hear the car peal out of the alley below.

“You know what, I don’t even know why I’m wasting time with the old geezer, I think I'll just get rid of you and then there will be no one in my way of being with Liz and our baby”

I realise then how completely unstrung this guy is.

As quick as a flash the gun is on me and he’s pulled the trigger. I react immediately and put up my shield stopping the bullet with ease. As soon as I see shock register on his face I drop it quickly and shoot an energy blast at him before putting my shield up again just in case.

Through the shield I watch as his body crumbles to the ground before I slowly release the energy from my hand.

Eric is slumped against the floor and without going near him I know that he’s dead. I killed a man.

Jim walks towards him and checks his pulse and when his eyes meet mine he nods.

My shoulders slump and I’m not sure if it’s in relief or guilt.

“You had no choice” Jim says. “He was going to kill you”

“I know” I nod. “Or he was going to kill you” I add.

“I shouldn’t have let my guard down” he chastises himself.

I feel Kyle pat my shoulder then, “I'll help dad take care of him” he says.

“No its ok, Michael and I need to get rid of him so no one can find him” I say.

“You sure?” he asks.

I nod. “But first I have to go and make sure my wife is ok” I tell them.

“I'll come with you” Kyle agrees.

“Do you mind taking care of this for the time being, maybe take him out to the dessert and we’ll meet you?” I ask Jim.

“No problem Max” he smiles.

I turn to Jeff Parker then who is white as a ghost. “You ok?” I ask.

“Yeah. Thank you Max I don’t know what would have happened if you hadn’t been here” he says.

I nod. “Could I borrow your car?” I ask.

“Sure but on one condition” he says.

I nod again. “That you bring my daughter back”

“Of course” I agree.

Liz POV

“Is that them?” Maria asks when we hear the sounds of a car pulling up out the front.

I peer out the window and frown when I see Michael running towards the house. Isabel is already at the front door opening it for Michael.

“Michael is everything ok?” she immediately asks.

He looks around the house frantically taking us all in, his eyes lingering on Maria for a little bit longer. “Is everything ok?”

“Yes” we reply.

“No one snooping around?” he asks Isabel.

“No one” she assures him.

I feel the hair on the back of my neck stand up when he sighs in relief. “What’s going on? Where are Max and Kyle?” I ask.

“Still at the Crashdown” he says.

“Why are you here?” Maria asks.

“It's nothing” he shakes his head.

“Michael?”

“Eric said something about having his guys out looking for you” he admits.

“God is this ever going to end” I cry and sink into the couch.

“Liz...”

I hold my hand up to stop his words as I let the sobs over take me. I’m pregnant and hormonal and right now I just want this whole nightmare to be over. I just want to be able to live my life with my husband and my baby in safety. Safety from Eric Johnson, safety from the FBI.

“I just want it all to be over” I cry.

“It's over baby,”

My head snaps up when I hear his voice and I let a sob out as I see him standing in the doorway.

I don’t hesitate, in a second I’m in his arms and he’s crushing me against him.
Emz80m
Roswell Fanatic

Re: Broken (ADULT M/L) - 35; Pg 7, 21/4/08

Post by Emz80m »

HI everyone,

Well this is the last part of Broken. I would like to thank all of you for reading and leaving your feedback, i really appreciate your support. I hope you enjoyed the fic as much as i enjoyed writing it.

Liz POV

I look up when I hear the quiet and hesitant knock on the door.

“Come in,” I call out.

I smile when Maria’s head appears in the door way.

“Hey.” she smiles.

“Hey,” I reply. “Come in,” I encourage her.

“You sure?” she asks.

With a bright smile I nod before turning my attention back to the bundle in my arms.

I can hardly believe that I’m a mother.

“He’s beautiful Liz,” she tells me.

12 months ago I never thought I’d get to experience being a mother nor did I think I would ever be sharing this with my best friend. But here I am, my child in my arms and my best friend sitting across from me.

“Thank you,” I tell her. “I think so too but I’m a bit biased,” I add.

“He looks like Max,” she says then and I find myself nodding.

Our son is definitely all his father. From his beautiful dark eyes to his little ears that are slightly too large for his head.

Cooper James Evans arrived a few hours earlier and I haven’t been able to take my eyes off him since.

“Thanks for coming.” I smile at Maria.

“I wouldn’t be anywhere else,” she assures me.

“Where’s Max?” she asks then.

“He went to call our parents. They wanted to make the trip as soon as he was born,” I explain.

It’s hard to believe that three months has passed since our visit to Roswell. At the time I honestly believed things would never be the same again, that having a normal life would be impossible but thankfully somehow we’ve managed to put together a wonderful and happy life.

The FBI showed up as expected but we were already long gone, and like the first time Maria was with us.

I know that Michael has felt guilty every day since but hopefully it won’t be long before he realises that Maria is where she wants to be.

We made our way back to New York after leaving Roswell and spent a few days packing up our belongings, giving notice at our jobs before making our way back to New Mexico. Despite the FBI’s appearance in Roswell they didn’t stay long and we were all convinced that it was time to live our lives. So we settled in Albuquerque where we were close enough that our parents could visit whenever they wanted but far enough away that we weren’t easy targets.

We still have to watch our backs every second of the day and I imagine we will for the rest of our lives but for now it seems we’re off the FBI’s radar.

“You look so happy.” Maria says.

“I am I really am, Maria. In fact I never thought I could be this happy,” I share with her.

“I’m glad Liz.”

“Do you want to hold him?” I ask.

“Can I?” she asks.

With a nod I hand the small bundle that Isabel and Max helped deliver over to his aunt.

“Where’s Michael?” I ask.

“Waiting outside, he thought we’d need a few minutes to ourselves.” she replies.

The door opens then and Max returns followed by Michael. The grin on his face is still there and I feel like my heart might burst with happiness as seeing my proud husband.

“Isn’t he beautiful?” Max says to Maria.

“He sure is Max. You do good work,” she replies.

Michael walks over to Maria and eyes Cooper curiously. “He’s small.”

“He’s a baby Michael,” Maria scolds him. “Do you want to hold him?” she asks.

“No,” Michael replies and holds his hands up.

Max joins me on the bed, his arm wrapping around me as he offers me a soft and lingering kiss.

“Both our parents are on their way,” he says.

“Good.” I smile.

It will be nice to see them all again. Seeing my parents after three years on the run was much more emotional that I could ever imagine. As I look at Cooper I finally have an idea of the anguish I must have put my parents through when I disappeared. Cooper has only been with us for mere hours and I already can’t imagine my life without him. I hope now that we’re back in contact that we never have to leave them again. I want Cooper to know both sets of grandparents and to feel a sense of security and safety that Max, Michael and Isabel never had because of who they are.

“Where are Isabel and Kyle?” Michael asks then.

“Isabel went to pick Kyle up. He decided he didn’t need to be here,” I grin, remembering Kyle’s exact words about being present at Coopers birth was something like, “No way in hell.”

“Wimp.” Michael scoffs.

“You won’t even hold him Michael,” Maria points out.

“That’s different. I’m thinking of the baby,” he argues.

I look at Max and see he’s smiling too at the interaction between our friends. They’ve come a long way in the past three months and I have no doubt that it’s only a matter of time before they give in and are all over each other.

We’re joined by Kyle and Isabel then and in true Isabel form she’s showered and changed and looking absolutely perfect again after spending hours helping deliver Cooper.

“We’re here.” Kyle announced, a large teddy in hand.

I accept his offered kiss and hug of congratulations and watch as he like Michael looks curiously at Cooper in Maria’s arms.

“Nice work Liz, too bad about the ears though.”

“Shut up,” I laugh at him.

“Kyle, what did I tell you about teasing my nephew?” Isabel asks.

“Um, don’t?” Kyle gulps.

“Exactly,” she glares before taking Cooper out of Maria’s arms and into her own.

I study my sister in law as she rocks Cooper and am surprised when I see the longing in her eyes. I have a feeling that Cooper will have a new cousin before too long.

Kyle and Isabel surprised us all in Roswell when they announced they wanted to get married before we left. Isabel wanted the Evans’s and Jim Valenti to be present.

I don’t think I remember seeing Kyle happier than he did when Isabel said ‘I do’ to her wedding vows nor do I think I will ever see Jim Valenti shed a tear like he did as he watched his son. The moment was so different from Isabel’s first wedding and I found myself thinking of Alex as they exchanged vows and wondered if things were different if he might have ever been the one up there with Isabel. Somehow though I think he would have been happy to see her marry someone like Kyle who loved her just as much, if not more than he ever did.

“You ok?” Max asks interrupting my thoughts.

“I’ve never been better.” I reply and I mean it with my whole heart. I am happier in this moment, with my husband, son, and family than I ever imagined being in any life.

“Good,” he nods and kisses the side of my head.

Maria POV

“You know all this sneaking around is really silly,” I manage to say in between kisses.

“Huh?” Michael asks his attention clearly elsewhere.

“You, me, us. Why are we sneaking around again?” I ask as I push him off me slightly.

He stares at me dumbly for a few seconds before he finally replies. “I thought you wanted to see how things went before you told everyone?”

“I did,” I admit. “But now it just seems silly. I mean we’re back together aren’t we?”

“Yes,” he answers immediately. “I mean I want to be,” he adds.

“Me too,” I smile.

“If you want to tell them we can.” he agrees.

“I’m scared.” I admit then.

“I know,” he nods.

I’m surprised by his response but I‘m not sure why. Michael is definitely different this time around. I guess you can say we’ve both learnt a lot in our time apart. Firstly, we’ve stopped taking our love for each other for granted. We finally see how special and lucky we are to feel the way we do about someone and we also understand that we are who we are and we have to stop trying to change that.

“I love you Maria and I really want this to work this time,” he says.

I don’t know if I will ever get used to hearing those words come from Michael so easily and I throw myself into his arms.

“I love you too,” I tell him.

“Then we’ve decided we’ll tell everyone tonight?” he asks.

“Tonight.” I agree.

Liz POV

“Mummy loves you so much Cooper. Sleep tight,” I whisper as I place him down in his bassinet.

I don’t know how long I’m standing there before Max comes up behind me and wraps his arms around me.

“I love you,” he whispers.

“I love you too,” I reply and sink into his embrace.

Later that night I’m woken from the strangest dream. It felt so real and I find myself smiling about it somehow sensing that it may have been much more than just a dream.

Unable to sleep I slip quietly from the bed, careful not to wake Max or Cooper in the crib next to the bed. I pull out the new leather journal that was handed to me only hours earlier from my mother. A gift she thought I might like to record things for my new son. I contemplate recording my latest premonition but instead decide that some times its better to not know what the future holds. To enjoy the surprises that life brings and to be happy in the moments you have. Instead my hand begins creating something completely different.

Dear Cooper,

Today you joined me and your father in this crazy thing called life.

I wish that I could promise you that it will be easy; that you will never feel pain or heartbreak, or that making your dreams come true will be easy. But I can’t.

I can promise you however our unconditional love and some very good advice that was given to me once by a very wise woman, your great grandma Claudia Parker.

Follow your heart, my Cooper.

This advice, however simple as it seems, will not always be easy to follow. If you should ever waiver in your resolve to follow your heart you should know that there will always be second chances, when these second chances come along be sure to take hold of them and never let them go because its these chances that will lead you to happiness.

My hope for you is that, like me, you will find friends that love you and know you, and a soul mate who will complete you, and remember if it’s not complicated then they’re probably not your soul mate....

THE END