Broken (ADULT M/L) (Complete)

This is the gallery for the winners of the fanfic awards to show off their fics, and their banners!

Moderators: Itzstacie, Forum Moderators

Emz80m
Roswell Fanatic

Re: Broken (ADULT M/L) - 20; Pg 5, 14/1/08

Post by Emz80m »

Thanks everyone, i hope you enjoy the new part :D

Liz POV

“Are you ok?” Max asks as I walk him out to the car.

After we told everyone about the baby things became slightly awkward. I couldn’t really blame them all for being shocked since we had just dumped all this information on them and then told them we were having a baby.

“Yeah,” I nod. “It's understandable that I shocked them.”

“Yeah,” he agrees. “Are you sure you don’t want me to stay?” he asks unsurely.

I don’t really want him to leave. I won’t lie and say a part of me is still worried that he is going back to the home he shares with Maria. I’m thinking it will take some time for me to get used to it, and to accept it.

“I would love for you to but I don’t think you should,” I reply. “You wanted to take this slow remember?” I remind him.

“I know. I just don’t want to leave you here by yourself,” he tells me.

“It's ok Max. I’m surrounded by friends and family,” I remind him.

“Ok,” he agrees.

He opens the car door before he turns to look at me. “Do you want me to pick you up tomorrow so you can come over to talk to Maria?”

“No, that’s ok. I'll get a lift over.” I tell him.

“Ok, well I'll see you tomorrow.”

He leans in and kisses me softly and briefly. It's not enough but I let it go because it’s definitely a start for us.

I wrap my arms around myself as he gets into the car and drives away.

“Come inside Liz,” Kyle’s voice startles me. I have no idea how long I was standing out there.

“It’ll be ok,” he assures me.

I welcome the hug he gives me as he leads me back into the house. “I missed you Kyle,” I whisper.

“I missed you too Liz.”

Maria POV

I walk to the window when I hear the sounds of a car door opening and am surprised when Max is walking towards the house with his bag in his hand.

I never expected him to come back. I have no idea what it means. Where is Liz?

“Hi.” I greet when he enters.

The corners of his lips turn up in his trademark smile. “Hey,” he replies.

He throws his bag down near the door and makes his way to the kitchen, pulling a can of cherry coke out of the fridge.

“Where’s Liz?” I finally blurt out not able to take the suspense any longer.

Max’s hand freezes mid sip. “I dropped her off at Isabel and Kyle’s,” he replies.

“Oh ok,” I nod. “How is she? I mean were you able to heal her?” I ask.

I might be extremely hurt with Liz at the moment but I still care about her and don’t want anything to happen to her. It would break my heart if Max wasn’t able to help her.

Max heads towards the lounge and takes a seat and I take that as my cue to join him, and take the seat across from him.

“I’m sorry that I took off on you without explaining what was going on,” he apologises.

I nod, “Will you tell me now?” I ask.

I watch his face as he considers my question. “We will tell you everything, I promise.”

“We?” I ask. What does that mean? I wonder.

“Liz is coming by tomorrow and I know that she wants to talk to you and that there are things that she wants to explain to you,” he tells me.

“Liz is coming?” I whisper in surprise.

“Yes.”

“Oh,” I frown. I’m not sure I’m ready to see her.

Max frowns when he sees my reaction. “I thought you would be happy?” he says.

“What, that she can finally spare me five minute of her precious time?” I ask sarcastically.

“I know you’re hurt.”

“Don’t patronise me Max,” I snap.

“I’m not trying to. If you give me a chance, I’m trying to explain a little about what is going on.”

“I should have known that you would take her side.”

“Woa!” Max jumps to his feet. “I am not taking sides here. Do you think that any of this is easy for me?” he asks. “I’m the one she walked out on Maria, I more than anyone have reason to be upset, hurt and angry with Liz so don’t you dare act like I don’t understand how you feel or have the right to tell you that you should hear Liz out!” he tells me.

“Is some of this stuff that Liz is going to tell me how she had a premonition that I was sleeping with you behind her back?” I ask.

Max freezes. “How do you know that?”

I laugh sadly. “I ran into Michael who apparently Liz did have time to fill in. He assumed that you had told me and mentioned it.”

“I’m sorry you had to hear about it that way. I couldn’t imagine how much that must have hurt you given how much I knew it hurt me and the circumstances in which I found out were much different,” he says.

“I should have heard about it from Liz!” I yell, “Or the very least you should have told me!”

He nods, “You’re right. I probably should have but I honestly believe that it wasn’t my place. It was Liz’s. It was her story, her mistake, her place.”

I look away as tears fill my eyes. “After everything we’ve been through you should have told me the truth. You owed me the truth,” I whisper hurt.

“I’m sorry, I’m so sorry,” he whispers. “I don’t want to hurt you,” he tells me. “It's the last thing I want but it seems not matter what I do I hurt someone, including myself,” he tells me.

“Well you won’t have to worry about me soon,” I say then.

He looks at me strangely. “What are you saying?" he asks.

“I’ve been doing a lot of thinking and one thing is obvious to me right now and that’s that I don’t belong here anymore, I don’t belong with you guys anymore,”

“Maria...”

“No Max, don’t! I’ve made up my mind.”

“It's not safe for you to leave by yourself,” he objects.

“Of course it is. I’m human,” I tell him. “And I won’t be by myself,” I add then.

He looks at me confused. “I’m going home Max. I’m going home to Roswell.”

Liz POV

“So you’re really going be a mum hey?”

I turn, slightly startled, at the sound of his voice.

“Yeah,” I smile and pat my stomach.

I look at him as he takes a seat next to me on the porch swing. “I’m glad you’re talking to me,” I tell him.

“Yeah well there’s no reason for me not to. You didn’t do anything wrong,” he replies.

I pat his hand. “Thank you for saying that but you and I both know that I completely fucked up both our lives.”

He remains silent for a few seconds. “No you didn’t.”

“Michael...”

“The truth is Liz, I needed to get away from Maria to break away from the terrible cycle we’d found ourselves in. She felt stuck; she felt that because she was with us that she had to be with me.”

“But you didn’t feel that way,” I point out knowing that deep down Michael still loves Maria.

“No, but things with us were never going to work. She thinks she came to be with me but she really came to be with you.”

I look away to avoid the truth I see in his eyes. Maria and I have been together since we were in diapers and there is nothing we haven’t shared together. She’s been with me through everything, until I deserted her.

“She’s never going to forgive me,” I whisper admitting my biggest fear.

“Yes she will.”

“How can you say that?” I ask, tears filling my eyes.

“Because, just like Max will forgive you if he hasn’t already, it’s you,” he smiles.

“Thank you for saying that but I don’t deserve her forgiveness.”

“Does she deserve yours?” he asks me.

“Huh?” I ask confused.

“You seem to think since your found out your premonition didn’t come true that Maria hasn’t done wrong by you,” he says.

I open my mouth to talk but he beats me to it.

“They might not have acted on it but Maria knew that what she was doing was wrong. She should have sent Max home to talk to you after the first time he showed up on her door step.”

I know Michael is right.

“So before you beat yourself up too much about how you were such a terrible friend, just remember that she wasn’t the best friend to you always either.”

Michael stands then.

“Thank you Michael,” I say.

“It's time to live our lives now Liz, no regrets. You’re about to become a mum and for me it’s time I stopped running.”

“Does that mean you’re going to be sticking around?” I smile.

“Yeah it does. I’ve been away from my family for too long.”

“I’m glad. I was really proud of you today,” I tell him.

He looks at me confused.

“For talking to Max, for apologising to him. I figure that it couldn’t have been easy but you were the bigger man and you said sorry. I just want you to know I’m proud of you for that.”

He smiles a little then before he takes a step towards the door.

“Thanks Liz,” he says before he disappears inside.

Isabel POV

“You look happy tonight,” Kyle comments as I crawl into bed beside him.

“I am,” I agree. “It's the first time in so long that I feel like everything is going to be ok with all of us.” I tell him. “I have both my brothers back, Liz is on the mend, now if maybe we can get things patched up with Maria everything will go back to the way it used to.”

“I don’t think anything will ever be the same again Iz,” Kyle points out.

“I know that, but there’s hope that one day we can all get back to something close to what we used to or maybe even better.”

Kyle smiles at me before he pulls me into his arms. “I love your optimism babe,” he whispers.

“I love you Kyle,” I tell him.

“I love you too.”

“I can’t be unhappy for us getting stuck on this run from the FBI because it brought us together but I really wish it hadn’t come at such a high price to everyone else,” I sigh then.

“Do you honestly believe that this was only brought on by being on the run?” he asks surprised. “Iz, it’s obvious that Liz and Max’s issues had nothing to do with being on the run and they probably would have surfaced regardless.”

“You’re right,” I agree.

“Just promise me that we’ll never get to that point?” I ask then.

“How about I promise that I'll always talk to you if I have a problem?” he asks.

“Deal,” I grin before sealing our conversation with a kiss.

ETA: sorry guys i posted the wrong part. I've deleted it and posted the correct part which hopefully will clear some things up
Last edited by Emz80m on Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Emz80m
Roswell Fanatic

Re: Broken (ADULT M/L) - 21; Pg 6, 21/1/08

Post by Emz80m »

Hi everyone. Sorry about the confusion last week. I am reposting part 22 tonight for those of you who didn't read it last week, or for those who might just like to re-read it. I will hopefully be back sometime this week with another new part if all goes well. Thanks for your feedback everyone :D

Max POV

I’ve been awake all night and the coffee in my hand is doing nothing to chase away the tiredness I feel. The last week has taken its toll on me physically, mentally and emotionally.

Maria is still asleep. After her declaration last night she pretty much went to her room right away and I haven’t seen her since. I don’t know what to do to try and convince her to stay.

I rise from my seat when I hear the knock on the door. I know it’s Liz before I open it and I do my best to put a smile on my face.

“Hey,” she whispers.

“Hey,” I reply and step aside to let her in.

“I hope I’m not too early.”

“Maria’s still asleep,” I inform her.

“Oh,” she frowns.

“You know what she’s like. She’d sleep all day if she could,” I smile.

Liz nods.

I stare at her awkwardly for a few second before I take a tentative step forward and lean down. I kiss her lips gently and she meets me half way. Her eyes are still closed when I pull back and I rub my lips together as I taste her strawberry lip gloss. It's nice to know that some things don't change. She still smells like strawberries and vanilla.

“Thank you,” she whispers with a smile.

“What are you thanking me for?” I chuckle slightly.

“For that, I really needed that,” she tells me. I can tell she still feels unsure about where we’re going, just like I am but I haven’t changed my mind over night and if all it takes is a kiss to assure her of that then I can definitely handle that.

“Are you ok?” she asks me.

I sigh. “Come into the kitchen I'll make you a cup of tea,” I tell her and she follows behind me.

“Maria knows,” I tell her as I prepare the kettle.

“Knows?” she asks confused and then it dawns on her what I’m talking about.

“Oh, how?”

“Michael let it slip,” I tell her.

“How is she?” she asks concern evident on her face.

“She was upset understandably but more so because of how she found out. She told me last night that she wants to go home to Roswell.”

“What!” Liz cries. “She can’t do that. We don’t know if it’s safe. What about the FBI?”

“I know, I know I said all the same things to her but she doesn’t think it applies to her because she’s human.”

“They won’t care Max. If they think they can use her to get to us they will,” she says passionately. I see the fear in her eyes of what could happen and I understand it because it’s the same fear I’ve felt since Maria’s declaration.

“We can’t let her go.”

“We’ll do everything we can to make her stay,” I assure her as I place the tea in front of her.

Maria POV

I hear their voices talking about me as I approach the kitchen. She’s been here for ten minutes at least and I lay in bed trying to ignore the fact that she was out there, waiting to talk to me.

Should I make this easy on her? My head says no not after everything that’s happened but my heart reminds me that this is Liz, my best friend, and that very thought has me moving out of bed and pulling my robe on.

I should resent the fact that she’s in my house and right now cuddling up to Max when she doesn’t deserve him.

“Stop it Maria.” I tell myself.

They’re talking stops as they hear my footsteps padding quietly down the hallway and they’re both staring at the door as I walk through.

“Morning.” Max greets.

I turn and nod, “Morning.” I reply.

Liz stands but I walk straight past her and to the waiting kettle to pour some water for a cup of coffee.

Liz should know better than to try and talk to me before I’ve had my morning coffee fix.

“Hi Maria,” she eventually speaks.

I turn and spare her a glance before turning back to my task. “Morning,” I mumble.

There is silence as I pour my coffee and after my first sip I turn to face them, my back leaning against the counter.

“So Max said you were coming to talk, so talk.” I say.

Liz looks at Max briefly. “Do you want to get changed, have a shower first or something?” she asks.

I roll my eyes, “Well since I already know most of what you came to say I didn’t think this would take that long.” I reply.

If Liz thinks I’m going to make this easy on her then she is wrong.

“Ok then.” she starts.

Liz POV

I didn’t expect her to make it easy on me, I don’t deserve that. But I guess I’m not used to this hard, non caring Maria.

“I’m sorry that you had to find out about my premonition from Michael,” I start. “I should have told you before he got the chance to.”

“You should have told me when it happened.” she snaps.

“You’re right,” I nod. “But at the time there was this huge gaping hole between us and I didn’t have anything left to bridge it with.” I admit.

I see her considering what I’m saying; she has to remember how far apart we’d grown over the baby thing, over everything.

“I actually went to your house afterwards convinced that I would see how wrong it was, and then I got there, and here is my husband and my best friend together, behind my back,” I explain.

“You should have trusted me, you should have trusted Max,” she demands.

“In hindsight yes, but then again I used to always be able to trust myself too and my gut was telling me that everything I saw...”

“Well you were wrong.”

“I know that now,” I say. “I fucked up everyone’s lives and for that I'll never be able to forgive myself,” I tell her

I hear Michael’s words in my head then and for the first time I know he is right. I was wrong, very wrong but this wasn’t all my doing. Max and Maria also played a role, a huge role in making me believe what I saw happened. My husband was going to my best friend instead of me and my best friend was allowing it.

“How could you ever think I could do that to you?” she asks me then.

“I never thought you’d do a lot of things but people change Maria,” I reply.

“What’s that supposed to mean?” she asks her eyes narrowing at me.

“You and Max were constantly together behind my back, you think I didn’t know but I did. Instead of coming home to me and talking about our problems he was going to you,” I say. “You should have sent him home to me, you should have stayed out of our problems but instead you interfered like you always do and you took his side. Don’t you think I was feeling vulnerable enough about my own husband not wanting to have children with me without having to deal with the fact that he was going to you instead of me?”

“So you’re blaming me now?” she asks.

“No,” I reply quickly. “I’m not blaming either of you. I’m simply asking you to understand where I was coming from, the circumstances that lead to this absolute fuck up that has been our lives for the past 12 months,” I tell her.

Max can acknowledge he was wrong, I can, so I wonder why Maria can’t.

“So you thought you’d go out and fuck the first guy you could find as a way of getting back at us?” she asks me then.

“That’s none of your business,” I whisper ashamed.

I see her roll her eyes. “Right,” she says before she turns her attention to Max.

“And you bought all of this? You can accept the fact that she thought we were cheating on her and that gave her license to go out and cheat on you, to leave you?” she asks Max

“That’s between Max and me,” I stand and yell bringing her attention back to me.

“This is what I mean,” I tell her. “Max and I were none of your business then and we’re none of your business now. You and Max aren’t together so how Max and I work out our problems is between us,” I state bluntly.

“Liz is right,” Max whispers.

Maria is angry I can see it in her eyes but I don’t care. I need to draw the line here and now. Max is my husband and Maria is his friend, if the lines aren’t drawn clearly then we’re never going to be able to fix things.

Tears come to her eyes after Max’s words.

“Max is my husband,” I whisper then. “I don’t deserve his forgiveness and don’t need you to tell me that.” I tell her.

“You’re right. You don’t deserve him.” she says meanly.

She pushes off the counter then and makes her way to the door. I know she’s going to walk out and not return but I’m not finished with her yet.

“I’m pregnant.” I tell her.

My words stop her and when she turns around a loud sarcastic laugh falls from her lips.

“Wow you’re really fully of surprises this morning. Do you even know who the father is?”

“Maria!” Max snaps.

“No, its ok Max. She’s entitled to be angry, I would be too if I realised the life I was living was a sham,” I reply meanly.

“Oh no you didn’t just say that to me!” she snaps stepping forward.

I rise to me feet again. “I did and I mean in,” I tell her. “You can blame me for Max not loving you and you can even blame me for Michael leaving too but one thing you can’t blame me for is how miserable and unhappy you are because you brought that all upon yourself,” I tell her. “Michael was a great a guy who loved you but that was never good enough for you. You were always trying to change him even though you knew it was a lost cause. So you think things will be better with Max?” I laugh then, “No one is ever going to be good enough for you Maria because just like your mum you’re convinced that guys are no good and that in the end they’re always going to leave. But news flash Maria, you drive them away.”

I see my words have hurt her and for a second I’m happy, but only a second and then I instantly regret it and sink into my chair.

“Wow tell us how you really feel Liz,” she whispers.

“Look this is getting out of control.” Max speaks up.

“You’re right.” I agree. “I should go. Max can tell you the rest,” I say.

“The rest?” she questions. “You mean there’s actually more than you being pregnant to some stranger?” she scoffs.

Max runs a hand through his hair then. “Yes there is more. A lot more actually. I think you should sit down,” Max tells her.
Emz80m
Roswell Fanatic

Re: Broken (ADULT M/L) - 22; Pg 7, 28/1/08

Post by Emz80m »

Hi everyone. Sorry i had hoped to get here earlier to post this but i've just been so busy that i haven't had time. Anyway enjoy, i'll probably delay posting to a bit later in the week.

Max POV

Telling Maria everything was probably one of the hardest things I have ever had to do. I watched as her emotions played on her face as everything unfolded. At first there was disbelief, then shock and fright, until finally sadness and maybe even a little anger.

“So Liz’s baby is yours?” she whispers.

“Yes,” I nod.

“Wow,” she breathes out.

Liz remains quiet, simply sitting and watching Maria and listening. I can tell that she’s still upset and angry from her confrontation with Maria. I know it wasn’t how Liz wanted it to go but I never saw it playing out and differently after I realise how upset and angry Maria was.

“Wow,” she says again and then follows it up with a laugh.

“What’s so funny?” I ask her.

“That’s fucked up,” she announces. “This whole situation is fucked up. I mean you and Liz aren’t even together and now you’re having a baby,” she says.

“Liz would have died Maria,” I point out.

“I get that,” she says, “I mean obviously there wasn’t a choice but I mean seriously, this poor kid.”

I shake my head at her.

“Max and I are going to do everything within our power to make a good home for our child.” Liz finally speaks.

Maria looks between us then. “What does that mean?” she asks. “Are you two back together?” she asks incredulously

“Yeah we are,” I answer after a few seconds of silence.

I know it’s not going to go down well with Maria. She’s still angry and upset with Liz and it will hurt her that I wanted to be with Liz and not with her. I don’t know how I can fix that. Realistically I can’t, but I don’t want to hurt her unnecessarily.

“Because of the baby?” she asks.

I look at Liz who seems just as interested in my answer as Maria.

“No,” I whisper, “it's not just because of the baby, Maria.” I tell her. “I love Liz, always have and always will. She’s my soul mate and I know we have a lot of stuff to work out and its going to take time and a lot of work, we both know that and we’re prepared to do whatever we take to work through it.

“We almost lost Liz, Maria,” I add then. “You have no idea how close we came,” I tell her and tears come to my eyes as I think about how very close we did come, “and I know I would have regretted so many things if she’d gone and I don’t want to live with regrets. And I know that I’d regret everything I would have done in my life without Liz if I didn’t try and fix things between us and give us another chance.”

Maria POV

I look over at Liz as Max pours his heart out to me about their relationship and it finally dawns on me. I see the tears in her eyes as she wears her heart on her sleeve and her heart is all Max. She loves him as much as he loves her and I finally realise that nothing or no one is ever going to change that and it was silly of me to believe it ever would. Not even Tess the evil alien bitch could break the bond that they share. I never stood a chance.

She reaches a hand out to him and without even looking at her his own reaches out to take hers.

“Well,” I lick my dry lips, “congratulations then.” I whisper.

I see them both turn shocked eyes to me.

“Really?” Liz asks.

I smile sadly, “Of course. I guess now we know why you wanted that baby all of a sudden.” I say.

“Yeah,” she nods sadly.

I wonder if Liz ever realises how much knowing the aliens has screwed up our lives? Time and time again she always seems so willing to believe them, even this time when it almost cost her her life.

Serena POV

“How do you think things are going over at Max’s?” I ask Michael.

He’s been quiet most of the morning and I have to resist the urge to ask him what he’s thinking. It reminds me that I don’t know him as well as I thought and that I probably never will. He doesn’t open himself up very often and to a lot of people.

“Frosty.” he replies.

“You think Maria will make it hard for Liz?” I wonder.

The truth is I don’t really know Maria and I can’t see us becoming close friends anytime soon.

“You don’t know Maria. She’s stubborn especially when she thinks she’s right.”

“You don't think she’s right?” I ask.

He snorts, “No.”

“So you think she’s at fault like Liz and Max?” I continue to question him wanting to know what he really thinks about everything. This is the first time he’s ever really opened up about the Maria and Max thing to me.

“Of course. If she kept her nose out of things, especially their relationship none of this would have happened, I was always telling her that but she’d never listen to me.”

“Maybe she just thought she was being a good friend?” I argue for some reason.

“Being a good friend is sending your best friends husband home, not taking his side,” he replies.

“True, but I understand why Maria didn’t agree with Liz’s plans for a family. You guys are on the run from the FBI and it isn’t exactly super safe.” I tell him.

“But that’s the thing. It was between Liz and Max. The rest of us didn’t get consulted about it now or then so why should Maria have?”

“True,” I agree completely seeing his point.

I think about the whole safety things then. “Do you think it’s safe now?” I wonder.

“As safe as it’s been but we’ll never be able to let our backs down,” he replies.

I’ve never had to run for my life so I have no idea what they have all been through. Even being with Michael for the past 12 months our lives have been relatively quiet. Michael was constantly looking over his shoulder. We were lucky I guess but I see what Michael is saying. Just because they aren’t here now doesn’t mean that they won’t be one day soon.

I notice the worried look on Michaels face then.

“What are you thinking about?” I ask

“What’s going to happen when Liz has the baby?” he says.

“What do you mean?” I ask.

“I mean we can’t go to the hospital and none of us really know anything about having a baby,” he replies.

“Oh,” I say understanding what he’s saying.

I’m sure it’s something that Liz and Max have thought about.

“Well Max is a healer so that’s a plus,” I point out.

“I know but there are just so many unknowns,” he sighs. “I don’t like it,” he adds.

I smile. It's nice that he cares. “Well there are books and classes that they can read and attend and I’m sure Isabel and I can help out too,” I inform him.

He looks at me then and smiles, “Does that mean your sticking around?” he asks.

“I-I...”

“I want you to,” he says.

“Are you sure?” I wonder. I know that Michael cares for me, what we have is great but it’s not love, not like what he had with Maria and I wonder how long before we both realise that what we have is great but it’s not what we want for the future.

“Of course.” He frowns, Wwhy would you think I didn’t?” he asks.

I sigh, “I guess it’s just coming back here with you and meeting your family and Maria I realise that as much as you would like to think you have you haven’t really found any closure on your relationship with Maria...”

His frown deepens.

“It's ok,” I tell him. “It's just that you’re not in love with me Michael, you still love her, maybe you always will and I don’t want to be the person you settle for,” I explain.

“I’d never do that to you,” he assures me.

“I know but I also don’t want to hold you back,” I add

“You’re not in love with me either, I don’t want to hold you back,” he points out to me.

I reach to take his hand. “I do love you but I realise after coming here and seeing Isabel and Kyle and Liz and Max that’s it’s not the forever and ever type and I do want that Michael.”

“So what do we do?” he asks sadly.

“Well for now I’m happy with what we have,” I tell him. I’m not ready to let go quite yet.

“Me too,” he agrees.

Liz POV
I thought I was hearing things when Maria congratulated us. I know that it doesn’t mean that everything is ok but it means that she’s accepted things to a degree and that’s a big step.

Max stands, “I might just go and let you two talk.” he says.

“You don’t have to,” I tell him.

“It's ok,” he smiles at us both.

“Thanks Maria,” he says as he squeezes her shoulder.

She looks up at him and I can see sadness in her eyes. I have a feeling that this is the part where Maria finally lets Max go, or the idea of Max that she has.

“I understand,” I whisper when he finally walks from the room. Both our eyes followed him every step until he disappeared.

Maria’s eyes turn from the empty door way to look at me with a questioning glance.

“Understand what?”

“How you could have feelings for him,” I clarify. “He’s this amazing man, he’s so kind and sensitive,” I whisper.

“Yeah.” she agrees.

“But he’s your husband,” she whispers tears in her eyes.

“Yeah he is,” I whisper.

“I’m sorry,” she says then and I look up at her surprised.

“I don’t know how it happened or even why but he was your husband and it shouldn’t have,” she whispers.

I sit there stunned. What do you say when your best friend finally admits out loud that she’s in love with your husband?
Emz80m
Roswell Fanatic

Re: Broken (ADULT M/L) - 23; Pg 9, 3/2/08

Post by Emz80m »

Thanks everyone. Hope you enjoy the new part :D

Maria POV

“So you’re going to be a mum?”

Liz smiles, “Yeah I am,” she says. “It's so weird because I’d honestly convinced myself that I had gotten to this stage where I realised I was never going to have children and that I had accepted it. And now I’m pregnant and it feels so surreal.”

“Are you scared?” I ask. “I mean you’re having an alien baby. Other than Tess who was a hybrid, we have no idea what could happen,” I point out.

“I know but I don’t think the seal would have done what it did to me if I wasn’t meant to have Max’s child,” she says.

“Yeah, that whole seal thing is really whacked.”

“Yeah.” she agrees with me.

“Look Maria,” she says then. “I know that we have a long way to go before we’re the friends we used to be, but I really want to try.”

“You do?” I ask.

“Yeah. I understand if you’re not ready or...” she trails off unsurely.

“No, I am. I guess I just never thought it was going to be this easy,” I tell her.

“You think this is going to be easy?” she laughs. “Nothing about today has been easy and I doubt this will be the last time that we yell and cry at each other over the mess that has become our lives.”

“I know,” I agree, we still have a lot to talk about.

“What are you going to do now; I mean where are you going to live?” I ask her.

“I’m staying with Isabel and Kyle at the moment.” she replies.

“Yeah but I figured you’d want to move in with Max.”

“I don’t think Max and I are there yet,” she says sadly.

“But I thought you were back together?” I ask confused.

“We are but we’re going slowly. We have a lot of shit to work though.”

“Oh, ok.” I say surprised. I thought for sure that Max would be either moving Liz in or moving out on me.

“Max mentioned that you’re talking about leaving,” she says then.

“Yeah,” I nod. “I want to go home Liz.”

“I know, I think we all do Maria but you have to know it’s not possible. It's not safe,” she argues.

“Why not? I’m human,” I remind her.

“But the rest of us aren’t Maria and the FBI would have to realise by now that you left with us. If you show back up in town there is no way they will pass up the opportunity to get their hands on you and who knows what they could do,” she tells me.

“I wouldn’t tell them anything,” I argue.

Her hand comes out to rest over mine then. “I know you wouldn’t that’s not what I’m worried about.” she says. “I’m worried about what they will do to you. Somehow I don’t think the special unit is exactly going to follow the law, Maria.”

I gulp. I hadn’t exactly thought about that. “So I can never go home?” I ask feeling the tears spring to my eyes. For the past few days all I had been able to think about is seeing my mum again, being able to confide in her everything that is going on.

“I’m sorry Maria,” she whispers.

“No I’m being silly. I mean we’re all in the same boat aren’t we?” I say.

I know Liz realises that I don’t think we are. I left Roswell to be with Michael and Liz and since that time I not only lost Michael but I somehow managed to lose Liz too.

“Maybe we could try and contact Valenti and see if there is still any activity?” I suggest. It's my last option. Although I’m happy that things look like they will be ok with Liz I know that I really need to get away from this life I’ve been living. I need time to get over this whole Max thing and to work out who I am again. Over the years I’ve let so many pieces of myself go that I feel so lost now and as much as I know Liz and Max don’t want me to return to Roswell I think going home is the only way that I’m going to find myself again.

Liz hesitates. “Maria I don’t know...”

“We could drive a few towns over, or maybe Serena could get someone to ring for us?” I ask as a last ditch effort.

Liz seems to be considering my words. “Let's talk it over with everyone,” she suggests.

“You mean like a meeting?” I ask.

“Sure.” she agrees.

She must notice the surprised look on my face then.

“What?”

“It's been a long time since we had one of those,” I point out.

“Yeah well, it’s been a long time since we did a lot of things but I think now is the time to change. We need each other, for better or worse, we’re family and its time we started acting like it.”

“Do you think it’s a good idea? I mean Michael is bad enough but now that everyone knows everything?”

“It will be ok Maria.” Liz assures me.

I really hope she means it.

Max POV

I was surprised when Liz told me that she wanted us to have a meeting about Maria wanting to go back to Roswell. I didn’t really see what there was to talk about but I understood that Liz was trying to do what she thought was best for Maria.

The room is silent as Isabel gets us all drinks. Can you say awkward?

Michael is avoiding looking at Maria and vice versa, you can tell that Serena feels uncomfortable because she knows what Michael and Maria are trying to do.

Kyle is sitting back all relaxed, nothing fazes him as he talks quietly with Liz.

Isabel is fussing all around us, the way she deals with things best, and I’m standing watching over everyone.

“So what’s this meeting about?” Michael asks eyes turned up to me.

“Actually it was my idea,” Liz speaks up.

“Ok, well let’s get this show on the road.” he tells her.

Liz opens her mouth to speak but Maria’s voice halts her.

“Liz its ok, I can tell them,” she says.

“Ok,” Liz nods and offers her a smile of encouragement.

“Liz suggested we have this meeting because I told her and Max the other day that I want to go home to Roswell.”

“What!”

“Are you crazy?”

“Max, she can’t be serious!”

The room instantly erupts just like I expected it would and I hold my hands up to get them to be quiet.

“Let her explain,” I say with a shrug.

The room goes quiet and everyone turns their attention back to Maria.

Maria licks her lips. “I think you all know that the last 12 months have been pretty hard on all of us, I don’t need to point that out, and I also want to say that I know I’m not blameless for that either,” she begins.

“But even before the last 12 months, the two years before that as well have been...”

“We all know that Maria, we were living it too,” Isabel points out.

“I know,” Maria says and now I can see the tears in her eyes. “I know all of that Isabel but you have Kyle, you have Max. Max and Michael are your family; you’re planning a life with Kyle. I don’t have that, I don’t have anything,” she tells her.

“You have us.” Liz whispers.

“Thank you for saying that and I know if you don’t agree to try this that it will probably be the only thing that gets me through but I have been so lonely for so long now that I just feel lost. I need my mum and I need to find myself again and I don’t think I can do that here with you guys. I don’t think I can do it living my life like this.”

“What’s the plan? I mean what about the FBI? They could just be waiting for you,” Kyle asks.

“I know. Liz and Max have pointed all that out but I still think that because I’m human I have the advantage. It's not so easy just to take me,” she replies.

“Maria was thinking we might be able to contact your dad Kyle to ask him if he thinks it’s safe?” Liz speaks up.

“That’s a good idea,” he agrees.

“Isabel?” I ask wanting to know if she’s open to it.

“We all miss our family,” she whispers.

“We are in a different position to Maria, Iz. We’re on the run because of who we are, Maria just came along for the ride,” I tell her.

“I know,” she nods. “Ok, but there has to be a better plan than just ringing Valenti because I don’t want our position given up to the FBI if they still have the phones bugged or whatever.”

“I was thinking that Serena might be able to help us,” Maria suggests.

Both Serena and Michael seem surprised with the suggestion. Michael hasn’t stopped scowling at Maria since she began speaking but he is yet to offer his opinion on the matter.

“How can I help?” Serena asks.

“I know you don’t know me and that you certainly don’t owe me anything,” Maria starts, “but I was hoping that maybe you know someone who could get in contact with Sheriff Valenti somehow and ask him how the situation is, and ask him whether he thinks it would be safe for me to come home?” Maria explains.

Serena considers Maria’s words and I can tell she’s turning them over in her head.

“Are you sure about this?” she asks.

Maria nods.

“Then I think I can help you.” Serena agrees.

“Are you crazy?” Michael turns to his girlfriend and asks.

“Michael,” Serena sighs.

“She could get killed or worse, lead the FBI right to us,” he yells.

“I would never do that Michael.” Maria argues. “And that’s my risk to take and I’m willing to take it.”

Michael stands angrily then his glare enough to cut through Maria.

“You really want to get away from us that badly that you’d risk your life?” he asks harshly but I can hear the edge to his voice, the sadness that Maria really wants out that badly. He’s taking it personally and I know this is going to get ugly.

Maria’s tears fall harder and her head nods slowly.

“Then go,” he whispers. “But if you go don’t bother coming back,” he adds before he turns and stomps out of the room.

Serena’s head drops after he’s gone and Isabel stands. “I'll go after him,” she whispers.

“Thanks,” she says.
Emz80m
Roswell Fanatic

Re: Broken (ADULT M/L) - 24; Pg 10, 7/2/08

Post by Emz80m »

Thanks everyone for your feedback. I hope you enjoy this new part :D

Maria POV

It’s amazing how quickly a plan can take form when several people are working together.

Yesterday going home was just a dream but tonight it feels so close that I can almost remember the smell of the desert in Roswell.

I gave up coffee and cigarettes
I hate to say it hasn’t helped me yet
I thought my problems would just dissipate
And all my pain would be in yesterday

After a quick phone call to her mother, Serena had arranged for someone to ring Jim Valenti and to gather as much information about Roswell as they could.

A few hours later Jim rang Serena’s cell and after a quick chat with Max I was given the all clear to return to Roswell.

I poured my booze all down the kitchen drain
And watched my bad habits get flushed away
I thought that that would keep my head on straight
And all my pain would be in yesterday

I feel Max’s presence standing in the doorway and turn to regard him.

His eyes are locked on my hands which are folding clothes and placing them in the duffel bag. I have managed to accumulate a few things over the last year, much more than I anticipated.

I know that no one is very happy with me decision to leave. I know Max isn’t but he’s being quiet about it because I think he understands now why I need this. I need to find me again but most of all I need to get over whatever it is I’m feeling for him.

But it’s true
I’m still blue
But I finally know what to do
I must quit, I must quit, you

“So you’re really going tomorrow?” he asks.

I nod. “Yeah. I figured the sooner I leave the sooner I get there.”

“Have you spoken to Michael?” he asks me.

“No,” I say sadly. Michael’s words the day before hurt but I have no doubt he means it. The worst part is I see what I’ve lost now, Michael might very well have been that person for me but because of who I am, because of my issues that boat has well and truly sailed.

I thought that if I didn’t go and play
The sadness would get bored and go away
I thought that if I didn’t go astray
That all my pain would be in yesterday

“I’m sure he’ll come by tomorrow with everyone else,” he says.

I smile sadly. I admire Max’s optimism but I know better. I stuffed up with Michael and without realising it I hurt him even more by wanting him to leave.

“I'll stay in touch,” I promise.

“Good,” Max smiles. “Hopefully you can visit when the baby is born,” he adds

But it’s true
I’m still blue

I feel my facade begin to crumble then and tears leak out my eyes.

“Yeah I’d like that,” I tell him.

“Maria...”

“No don’t,” I stop him. “I’m happy for you and Liz. Really I am.” I tell him. “I’m just sad for myself,” I tell him.

“I never meant to lead you on or hurt you,” he whispers.

“You didn’t,” I assure him. He really didn’t.

I sold my guitar and my piano
I thought that it was these that kept me low
I thought if only I could try and change
That all my pain would be in yesterday

In the last few days things have really become obvious to me about my life. I sold out who I was. It was no one’s fault but my own and now it is my cross to bear as well.

I stopped listening to my best friend, I lost the only guy who I have ever loved and been loved by and friendships that I cherished have fallen by the wayside.

The truth was, I wasn’t happy and I thought that maybe if I could change things, who I am, who I was in love with, that maybe I could mend the void in my heart. I realise how silly that was now, how childish.

Liz was right. I definitely have issues with guys.

But it’s true
I’m still blue

“Just don’t forget that you can come back at anytime. We came up with the email thing so you could contact us at any time and there is always Serena’s mobile sine they don’t know about her,” Max says.

“Thank you,” I tell him.

“That’s what friends are for,” he whispers before he turns and walks as quietly out the door as he came leaving me to my packing and my regrets.

Serena POV

I almost didn’t come this morning to Maria’s send off when Michael refused to go with us. I don’t want to be the one to tell Maria that he isn’t coming to see her off and I didn’t really want to deal with all the reasons why I know why he isn’t. A few days ago I told him I was happy with the way things are between us for the moment but now I realise how wrong I was. I can’t be happy that the man I’m with is in love with someone else and I shouldn’t be.

I approach the group slowly. Liz is crying as Maria says her goodbyes to Isabel and Kyle before turning to her.

They cling to each other like you would expect two best friends of years to, not to friends only recently reunited. When they pull back I see Maria is crying too. Her hands cups Liz’s face.

“I love you Liz,” she tells her. “That will never change and I want you to know it never did.” she promises her. “I’m so sorry for everything I did,” she whispers again.

“Stop it.” Liz tells hers. “We’ve put that behind us and I love you too.”

They hug tightly again until Max slowly eases Liz away from Maria and into his waiting arms.

I take this as my cue to step forward.

“Thank you for coming,” she smiles.

“No problem. I’m sorry that Michael isn’t with me,” I add.

She nods sadly. “I know Michael. He’s stubborn as hell when he’s passionate about something, just don’t let him get away with it too often,” she advises me.

“Ok.” I nod.

“Just give him a hug for me and tell him I’m sorry,” she whispers so only I can hear.

“I will.”

She reaches forward and hugs me then. “Thank you for giving me this chance,” she whispers then.

“You’re welcome,” I reply.

Max releases Liz into my arms then and steps forward. I know it much be awkward for both of them doing this in front of an audience but he wraps an arm around her tightly.

“Stay safe,” he tells her. “And call the minute something doesn’t feel right,” he adds.

“I will,” she agrees with a nod against his chest.

Her eyes close and I avert my gaze slightly feeling out of place.

“Look after Liz,” she orders him.

Max chuckles. “I will,” he promises.

“Be happy.” she tells him then, “Just promise me that you’ll be happy?”

“I will be,” he says before dropping a kiss to her head and stepping back.

The minute he takes the step back his arms reach out for Liz and she goes to him easily.

“Well this is it guys. I guess I'll see you soon,” she smiles at us all.

“When the baby comes,” Liz says. “You promised,” she adds.

“I promise.”

We all watch as she gets into her Jetta then and with a final honk of the horn she drives down the street.

Everyone watches the cars tail lights until they disappear but I find my gaze turned in the opposite direction when I find Michael standing staring sadly into the distance and just like Maria I finally realise what I have to do.

Max POV

As the others leave Liz and I go into the house that I used to share with Maria. I look around at the all the empty spaces now where some of Maria’s things used to be. She didn’t take much really considering most of it is stuff that she bought. I’m thankful for that in some ways but curse it at the same time.

Liz looks around the house and notices it too.

“What will you do with the house now?” she asks me.

I’ve thought about that in the past 24 hours and I don’t really have an answer.

I take a seat on the lounge and pull her next to me. I know it was hard for her to say goodbye to Maria especially after they just started talking again.

I thought about asking her to move in and wondered what her answer would be. I know I told her I wanted to take things slow but it seems silly that she’s staying at Isabel and Kyle’s when there is plenty of room for her with me. But then I wasn’t sure that she would want to move into the house I shared with Maria for the 12 months that she wasn’t part of our lives.

“What do you think I should do?” I ask her opinion.

She seems surprised by my question. “I’m not sure.”

“Would you want to move in here?” I ask her then.

She considers my question. “No,” she shakes her head.

“Well then maybe I could give it up and we could get a place together, maybe somewhere closer to Isabel and Kyle?” I suggest.

“Really?” she asks happy and surprised.

“Yeah,” I nod. “We’re a family and we belong together,” I whisper.

Maria’s right about one thing. It is time for us all to move on with our lives and for the first time since Liz came back into mine I finally feel in a place where I’m ready to do that. I want my wife, my life and my marriage back and I want it to be better than it was before.

“Yes.” she whispers.

“We’ll start looking straight away,” I tell her before I lean in and seal our lips in a kiss of hope.

Eric POV

I resist the urge to throw the phone against the wall as I listen to the private investigators latest report.

“She can’t just disappear off the face of the earth!” I yell.

“We have no leads,” he tells me.

“Her family must know something, someone must know something?” I scream.

“We’ll keep an eye on Roswell; we’re still checking all the hospitals for reports of people matching her description as well as her friends from the hospital.”

It's not good enough. I want Claudia back and I want her back yesterday. I want her to pay for running away from me, for her lies. No one makes a fool out of me and gets away with it.

“Have you found out why the hell she was on the run in the first place?” I ask.

“No,” he sighs. “Whatever it is someone is going to a lot of trouble to keep it a secret.”

“Shit!!” I yell.

“We’re doing everything we can.” he tries to assure me.

“Just call me when you have something,” I snap before I hang up the phone.

Coffee & Cigarettes by Michelle Featherstone
Emz80m
Roswell Fanatic

Re: Broken (ADULT M/L) - 25; Pg 11, 14/2/08

Post by Emz80m »

Thanks everyone. Hope you enjoy the new part :D

Maria POV

I’m nervous as I drive my car down Highway 285 and see the sign approaching.

Welcome to Roswell. Despite my nerves I feel my heart speed up in excitement because in ten minutes I’m going to be home.

I look in the rear-view mirror when I hear the sirens behind me and check my Speedo. I was doing the speed limit so wonder why I’m being pulled over. I slow down the car though and pull it over to the side of the road.

I don’t have to wait long before the deputy is out of the car and heading my way.

“License and registration please Miss,” he drawls.

I freeze. I would know that voice anywhere and I find a smile lighting up my face.

“Sherriff Valenti?” I ask.

“It's Deputy but yes,” he nods. He still hasn’t looked at my face.

“You have no idea how happy I am to see you!” I squeal and take off my seat belt so that I can jump out of the car to hug him.

He stops and looks at me then. “Maria is that you?” he asks clearly shocked.

“Yes,” I grin.

He steps back as I get out of the car and eagerly accepts my hug. “How the hell are you?” I ask.

“Me? How are you?” he asks.

I laugh. “I’m better now,” I assure him.

“I couldn’t believe it when they told me you were going to come back.”

“I know it sounds crazy but...”

“It's been hard?” he guesses.

“The hardest,” I admit tears coming to my eyes. “I just really need my mum. How is she?” I ask.

“She’s good,” he smiles and if I’m not mistaken there seems to be something else behind it but I'll leave that alone for now.

“How did she take it?” I ask referring to my leaving without saying goodbye and the whole aliens are among us.

“It was hard for all of them at first but they’ve had a lot of time to come to terms with it and now they wish they’d know so that they could have helped you.”

“Did you tell her I was coming?” I ask.

“No. Since I didn’t know if you were and that there was the chance something could happen to stop it I thought it was best not to.” he informs me.

“Ok, well I guess I'll just head on over there and surprise her,” I smile.

“Let me escort you,” he says.

“It's definitely safe?” I ask feeling a little worried then.

“As far as we can tell. We regularly sweep our houses and the restaurant and we haven’t found anything in a long time.”

“Good.”

“That doesn’t mean you don’t have to be careful. You do. You can’t contact the others without a lot of careful planning and if something happens and you have to run you’ll be your own this time,” he says seriously.

“I know but I’m willing to take that risk,” I assure him.

“Then let’s get you home to Amy,” he grins.

Max POV

Isabel, Serena and Kyle are sitting quietly sipping on coffee when Liz and I walk hand in hand into the house.

“Hey.” I smile.

“Hey guys,” they reply.

I can barely hide the smile on my face. Despite my nerves about asking Liz to move in with me, now that I have I feel like I could take on the world. Next to me Liz is also glowing and I feel the love she has for me bouncing off her and it makes me feel invincible.

“Where’s Michael?” I ask curiously.

They all exchange awkward looks. “We’re not sure. He wasn’t here when we got home,” Isabel explains.

“Oh ok. Should I be worried?” I ask.

“No,” Serena assures me.

“What are you two up to?” Isabel asks us then, “Something has made you both look extremely pleased with yourselves.”

I chuckle. “Thanks Iz.”

“Is it wrong since Maria just left?” Liz asks worried.

“No not at all. I guess it kind of just reiterates what Maria was saying,” Isabel shrugs.

I know what she means. We’re all paired up and building lives and she felt left out.

“Well we actually do have something we wanted to tell you,” I inform them.

“Yeah. Isabel, Kyle, thank you so much for letting me into your home, for all your help. I don’t think I'll ever be able to repay you,” Liz tells them.

“You don't have to Liz. You’re family,” Kyle replies with a smile.

“Thank you,” she nods. “But I wanted to tell you guys that I'll be moving out.”

“Oh really?” Kyle grins.

“Yeah. I’m going to move in with Max,” I nod.

“That’s great guys.”

“Yeah,” I tell them. “We’re going to look for our own place but we didn’t want to wait so Liz is going to move in with me until we move out.”

I thought about Liz staying put until we decide on a new place but in the end we both decided we didn’t want to wait. It's time we started trying to work on our marriage.

“Are you staying around here?” Isabel asks worriedly.

“We thought so,” I nod. “We want to stay close to all of you,” I add.

“Good,” she agrees.

“But maybe it is time to move on?” Kyle speaks up.

“You think?” I ask him surprised that he brought it up.

“We’ve been here for over 12 months, it’s the longest time anywhere and maybe we’re tempting fate. Besides it would be good to move away from the psycho Eric guy.”

I turn and look at Liz. “What do you think?” I ask her.

“Kyle has a really good point. We’ve been here for a long time, maybe too long,” she agrees.

“Well we’d all need to talk about it. I want us to agree on one place,” I tell them. “Splitting up again isn’t an option,” I add just to make my feelings very clear.

I know they’re right. We’ve gotten a little too comfortable in Newport, a little complacent. I don’t like leaving because it means that Maria won’t be able to find us if something happens but she knew that could be a possibility when she decided to leave. Besides it isn’t like we can’t communicate with her.

It was nice to be able to call somewhere home. Apart from Liz and Michael we all have jobs we like that pay alright and it’s never easy to start all over again. I look at Serena then and wonder if there isn’t maybe something we can do about it. We have contact with our family now through Serena now and maybe there are things we can do that we couldn’t before, which would give us a more stable life.

“Yes, if everyone doesn’t agree then we stay.” Isabel voices.

“Serena what do you think? You and Michael will come won’t you?” Liz asks the other girl.

Serena moves awkwardly in her chair. “There’s isn’t really a reason for us to stay here if you’re not here,” she shrugs.

I can tell that there is something that she isn’t saying and I know the other sense it too but we all choose to remain closed mouth about it.

“Well let’s talk to Michael about it,” I suggest. “If we’re going to do it then we should do it as quickly and quietly as possible.” I add.

“If we ever find him,” Kyle says.

“Excuse me,” Serena says before standing and making her way out of the room.

We all turn to glare at Kyle. “What? What did I say?”

Maria POV

“You ok?” Jim asks me as we stand outside my mother’s door.

“Just nervous,” I tell him.

“What if she isn’t happy to see me?” I ask then the thought only just occurring to me.

Jim chuckles. “Maria, believe me, she’ll be over the moon.” he says.

I feel selfish then. “I’m sorry Sheriff, you must really miss Kyle.” I whisper.

“I do,” he nods, “but he’s happy and that’s all I ever wanted for him.”

“I have some things for you from him, letters and stuff,” I tell him then. I should have thought to give them to him earlier.

“Don’t worry about that right now, just knock on the door.”

I stare at the door again. For some reason I just can’t bring myself to knock.

“Want me to wait?” he offers.

“Would you?” I ask hopefully.

“Of course but just for the record, you don’t need me,” he says before he steps forward and knocks on the door and takes a step back.

“Coming,” I hear my mother’s voice and my heart speeds up.

This is the moment I’ve been waiting for and now that it’s almost here I can barely breathe.

The door opens in slow motion but I can tell the minute my mother realises that it’s me standing on the other side. She drops the towel in her hand and it goes to her mouth as she gasps.

“Hi mum,” I smile.

I know I’m crying right now and I can’t help it.

“Maria?” she whispers clearly not believing what her eyes are telling her.

“Yeah it’s me.”

“Oh my God,” she cries and engulfs me in her arms.

“I missed you mummy,” I cry against her shoulder.
Emz80m
Roswell Fanatic

Re: Broken (ADULT M/L) - 26; Pg 12, 18/2/08

Post by Emz80m »

Thank you to everyone reading, especially those of you taking the time to leave feedback. I hope you enjoy the new part :D

Serena POV

Da Da Da Da
The smell of your skin lingers on me now
You’re probably on your flight back to your home town
I need some shelter of my own protection baby
To be with myself and centre, clarity
Peace, Serenity

I feel like I should be crying as I pack my clothes into the duffel bag, but I can’t.

I can’t because no matter how I feel right now I saw it coming and there still wasn’t anything I could about it. Life is like that sometimes. You win some and then ultimately you lose some too.

I don’t look up when I hear footsteps enter. I know its Michael already.

I hope you know, I hope you know
That this has nothing to do with you
It's personal, Myself and I
We've got some straightenin' out to do
And I'm gonna miss you like a child misses their blanket
But I’ve got to get a move on with my life
Its time to be a big girl now
And big girls don't cry
Don't cry
Don't cry
Don't cry

“What are you doing?” he asks, his voice is hoarse and even though he’ll never admit it, or confide in me, I know it’s because he’s been crying. He’s been crying over Maria and that should devastate me but it doesn’t because I’ve prepared myself for this.

“Packing” I reply.

“I can see that, but why?”

The path that I'm walking
I must go alone
I must take the baby steps until I'm full grown
Fairytales don't always have a happy ending, do they
And I foresee the dark ahead if I stay

“The others are talking about moving on” I inform him.

“Oh” he says.

“So I figured this was as good a time as any for me to go home” I whisper.

“You want to go home?” he asks confused.

Silently I nod.

I hope you know, I hope you know
That this has nothing to with you
But I've got to get a move on with my life
And big girls don't cry

“I thought you liked these guys and that we were going to stay for a while?”

“You should stay” I tell him.

There is a deadening silence and I still haven’t looked at him.

“What are you saying?” he demands.

“I’m saying that I think you should stay, by yourself, and that I should go home where I belong”

I feel him step towards me. “Serena?”

“W-What?” I ask.

“Would you turn around and look at me dammit” he yells.

Like the little school mate in the school yard
We'll play jacks and uno cards
Ill be your best friend and you'll be mine
Valentine
Yes you can hold my hand if u want to
Cause I want to hold yours too
Well be playmates and lovers and share our secret worlds
But it’s time for me to go home
Its getting late, dark outside
I need to be with myself and centre, clarity
Peace, Serenity

I shake my head. The tears are falling now. This is harder than I thought it would be. It hurts more than I thought it would.

“The least you can do is look at me when you’re breaking up with me” he yells again.

I nod and slowly I turn.

hope you know, I hope you know
That this has nothing to do with you
But I've got to get a move on with my life
And big girls don't cry
Don't cry
Don't cry
Don't cry

La Da Da Da Da Da

“Is this really what you want?” he asks.

“You’re in love with someone else and I can’t pretend that I’m ok with that anymore” I whisper.

He opens his mouth to deny it but I stop him. “Don’t. Right now you’re still hurt and angry with her but before long you’re going to move past that, you’re going to get on your bike and you’re going to win her back”

“You’re wrong. We’re over”

“So are we” I smile sadly.

“I don’t want you to go” his strong facade crumbles slightly then.

“I'll only ever be a phone call away. I'll always be there for you but right now I have to put myself first”

“Will you come back?” he asks.

I laugh, “in a few months you won’t want me to”

“Don’t say that”

“I love you Michael” I whisper.

“But?”

“But we’re not meant to be together and we can’t keep pretending different” I sigh.

He avoids my eyes. “I love you, I do”

“But not the way I want to be loved” I tell him. “I see what Max and Liz have, and even with all the crap they’ve been through you can still see how much they love each other, and that’s what I want Michael. I know you want it back too, it’s what you had with Maria you just have to really fight for it”

“Sere...”

“If it’s not complicated then they’re probably not your soul mate” I whisper remembering words that I heard Liz whisper to herself one morning when she was sleeping.

“I’m going to miss you. I wish you’d just stay with us” he argues again.

“You won’t get rid of me too easily. I'll stay in touch and pass message between Roswell” I explain.

He nods.

“When are you leaving?”

I shrug. “Haven’t even checked the bus schedule but tomorrow if I can”

“You told the others?” he asks.

“No I wanted to tell you first”

“Thanks”

“I just want you to be happy Michael. We both deserve it”

Liz POV

We’re all relieved when Michael finally returns that night. I know Isabel was beginning to worry that he had taken off or done something stupid.

He falls into the only unoccupied chair in the lounge room and we all look at him. His head is down and he looks sad and concerned about something.

“You ok?” Isabel asks.

After a few seconds where is obviously considers Isabel’s question he nods.

“So Serena said something about moving on?” he asks.

“Yeah” Max nods. “Kyle actually suggested that it was time to move on. We’ve been here a lot longer then we planned and it’s not really a good idea to become too complacent with the FBI or this Eric guy who is probably still looking for Liz” he replies.

I shift uncomfortable next to Max. I hate the idea that Eric might be out there somewhere ready to snatch me whenever he has the chance.

“Sounds like a good idea. Where are we going?” he asks.

We all exchange surprised looks. Normally Michael would argue with us about our decision or at least be annoyed that we were making decisions without him.

“Well the only suggestion so far we’ve had without any objection is New York” Max tells him.

“Great when do we leave?” he asks and moves to get to his feet.

“Well we figure it will take a week at least to tie up some loose ends around here with jobs and stuff. Does that sound ok?” Max asks.

“Yep. Just let me know where and when and I'll be ready to go”

He’s about to leave the room when he seems to have second thoughts about something so he stops, and turns back around.

“Serena won’t be coming with us. She’s going to head home to her family” he tells us.

Before we get the chance to ask why he’s gone as quickly as he comes. I immediately rise to my feet to go after him but Max’s hand on my arms stops me.

“Let him be” he suggests. “Obviously something has happened and we should give them some time”

I nod knowing that he’s right. It was pretty clear this afternoon that something was up with Serena. I know we all were surprised at how well she seemed to be taking Michael’s reaction to Maria’s leaving but obviously there was more going on behind the scenes then we realised if she’s leaving.

I won’t like and say I’m not disappointed. Something inside me believes that Serena belongs with us but I also can acknowledge that she doesn’t belong with Michael.

“Do you think she’s ok?” Isabel voices my question.

“I doubt it, it’s obvious that they’ve broken up Iz,” Kyle replies.

“We should stay out of it” Max tells us.

I nod. I know better than anyone that you shouldn’t get involved in other people’s relationships.

“I’m going to miss her” I tell them.

“Me too” Isabel agrees. “I know we haven’t known her long but she just fit with us didn’t she?”

“Yeah but I think we all know that she doesn’t’ exactly fit with Michael. It was only a matter of time before one of them figured it out” Kyle nods.

“Do you think he’ll go after Maria now?” Isabel asks.

We’re all silent as we think about it.

“Soon” Max surprises me by saying. “What?” he asks when he sees the surprised look on my face.

“I’m just surprised that you think that?” I shrug.

“I know Michael better than you think. It might take months but one day he’ll tell us he’s going for a ride and we won’t see him for weeks. He’ll go to Roswell because he won’t be able to stop himself” he shrugs.

“What will happen when he gets there though?” Kyle asks.

“Fighting. A lot of fighting” I smile.

Isabel scoffs, “then a lot of really gross making out”

We all share a chuckle.

Yes we’ll miss Serena but I’d rather say goodbye to her now before there’s a chance that she could get really hurt by Michael. He’d never do it intentionally but I guess it’s just inevitable. Michael and Maria belong together and just like all good love stories, tragic or not, I think they’ll find their way back to each other eventually.

Big Girls Don’t Cry by Fergie
Emz80m
Roswell Fanatic

Re: Broken (ADULT M/L) - 27; Pg 13, 25/2/08

Post by Emz80m »

Thanks everyone. I hope you enjoy the new part :D

Three Months Later

Max POV

I smile as I watch Liz climb out of the shower and reach for a towel. Her stomach is starting to show against her small frame and I’m amazed by it every day.

“What?” she asks when she notices me staring at her through the mirror as I shave.

“You’re beautiful.” I tell her.

It amazes me that she can still blush after all this time. “I’m getting fat,” she replies.

“You’re pregnant with our baby and it’s beautiful,” I tell her again.

“Thank you.” she says.

We’ve been in New York for 2 months now. At first I wasn’t sure about moving to such a large city but for the most part we’re all happy here.

Liz and I found a great townhouse to live in. There are 2 bedrooms, a bathroom and a living area on the top floor and a third bedroom with an ensuite along with the kitchen on the bottom so we asked Michael to move in with us. Most of the time we don’t really see him but it’s nice to have him close so that we can keep an eye on how he’s doing. He misses Serena a lot but more than that it’s obvious that he’s missing Maria.

Michael and I both managed to get jobs working in a popular little bar in Manhattan. The money is pretty good especially with the extra tips we’re able to score from large female population that frequent the bar.

Liz is working in a library. She wanted to get something that earned a little more money but we both agreed in the end that the library job would be better for her once she progressed in her pregnancy.

Isabel and Kyle found a unit closer to the city. Isabel is working at a little boutique and she’s definitely in her element whilst Kyle is doing security. I think the move has been good for all of us. It's given us the chance to move away from some good and bad memories and to look to the future.

“Are you working tonight?” Liz asks.

“Yeah.” I nod.

The only downside to my job is all the night work whilst Liz works mainly days.

“Will you be ok?” I ask.

“Yeah, I'll see what Isabel is doing,” she replies.

“Ok,” I tell her.

I make a mental note to take a Friday night off soon and take her out.

“Did you hear Michael come home last night?” she asks then.

“No,” I frown. It's not unusual for Michael to come and go at all hours but lately he’s been jumping on his bike and taking off for days at a time which is starting to worry all of us.

“I’m worried about him,” she tells me with a sigh.

“I'll talk to him tonight,” I promise her with a kiss.

Private Investigator

I have no idea why I agreed to take this case to begin with. Eric Johnson is definitely one crazy guy but he’s also a very rich one. That’s why I find myself for the second time in 6 months back in Roswell New Mexico.

I walk into the Crashdown and take a seat in an empty booth so that I can look around.

As usual everything is the same and I notice that Jeff Parker is behind the cash register where he normally is when I come here. Everything looks the same so after ordering a burger and space rings and eating I prepare to pay the cheque to leave.

“How was your meal today?” he asks with a smile as I hand over the cash.

“Good thanks.” I reply.

I’m waiting for my change when I hear the bells chime; I don’t pay attention though until I see Jeff Parkers face light up at the new arrivals appearance.

“Maria,” he grins as he hands me the money. “Have a nice day,” he tells me.

“Hi Mr P,” she greets coming forward to offer him a hug.

“Where’s Mrs P?” she asks.

“Upstairs,” he replies.

They seem to share a secret language after that and I find myself riveted. I’m almost positive that this young woman in front of me is one of the girls that took off with Liz Parker.

“Why don’t you head upstairs and I'll meet you up there in a few minutes,” he suggests to her.

I see them send me an awkward glance then and I realise I’ve been staring. Turning around I make my way out of the restaurant wondering what I’m supposed to do with this new found information.

Michael POV

“Spit it out.” I snap as I find Max staring at me for the hundredth time tonight.

The bar has been busy and we’ve both made a fortune on tips from very drunk women who seem to think we’re attractive. But I know that Max has something on his mind that he wants to talk to me about.

He sighs. “I promised Liz I would talk to you,” he tells me as we both go about cleaning and stocking up the bar.

“About?” I ask. I’m not a mind reader after all.

“Well we’re both a little worried about you. You’ve been taking off a lot lately and I guess we just wanted to make sure you’re ok?” he says.

I’m not used to these heart to heart moments with Max. We’re definitely out of practice, this is no longer high school and this is definitely not the bathroom at West Roswell.

“I’m fine.” I reply.

“You sure?” he asks.

I’m waiting for him to ask me we’re I’ve been going but he surprises me by remaining quiet.

“Good.” He nods. “But you know we’re all here for you if you need to talk or anything right?”

“Sure,” I reply.

“I mean if there was something you wanted to get off your chest about Serena or Maria maybe then you could talk to me about it?”

I frown.

“Why would I want to talk about Maria?” I ask.

“Well you haven’t really said much about her since she left and...”

“That’s because there is nothing to say,” I snap.

“Well ok then, but it would be okay you know if you were missing her, or if maybe you were thinking of getting in contact with her.”

I pause.

“She’s ok right?” I ask. Liz and Maria have worked out a way to keep in contact on MSN.

“She is,” he says.

“Has she said something about me?” I ask.

“I’m sure she has,” he grins.

I sigh. “Look, I do miss her ok but that’s all over and done with.”

“You could probably slip in without anyone noticing you if you wanted,” he shrugs then.

“What?” I ask not quite sure I understand what he’s saying.

“Roswell. There’s been nothing since Maria returned home so if you maybe thought you wanted to take off and visit or....”

“NO.” I reply.

“Ok,” he nods.

We go back to work in silence then but I can’t get my thoughts clear. I keep coming back to what Max said about Maria and Roswell.

“Just make sure you tell one of us, ok?” Max breaks the silence.

I look up in confusion. “If you think you might want to take off for more than a few days to wherever,” he shrugs. “Just make sure you leave a note or something because Liz and Isabel will worry. And take a phone just in case...”

“Ok.” I agree.

He smiles and slaps my shoulder. “Hurry up I want to get home to my wife.”

Private Investigator

I watch the Crashdown and wait for the blonde girl to leave. She stays for close to an hour and I follow her back to where I assume she lives.

Afterwards I return to the hotel when I fire up my laptop and connect to the internet. Sure enough the girl is definitely one Maria Deluca and she was definitely one of the teens that disappeared along with Elizabeth Parker three and half years ago.

“What are you doing back in Roswell after all this time?” I wonder.

After a little more research I decide there is only once course of action. I need to follow her for a few days and see if I can find out anything about where she’s been or who’s she been with.

Maybe my luck has changed and it’s time to ask for a little more money from Eric Johnson for all my hard work.

Maria POV

I smile as I leave the Parkers. I’ve just been to visit to fill them in on my latest chat with Liz.

I know the Parkers and the Evans live for my visits where I fill them in on their children’s lives and sometimes even manage to get them some pictures. It's one of the things I love most about being home in Roswell. I love being able to make them smile and be happy.

The one’s I delivered to the Parkers today is a picture of Liz’s small baby bump. Nancy Parker cried when she saw it and soon I was blubbering like a baby too.

The last three months since I’ve been home I feel like a different person. At first it was hard getting used to, I was so used to keeping secrets that I wasn’t sure how to deal with the fact that everyone knew the truth and I didn’t have to keep everything so closed off. It's been so good for me. I feel like myself again. I feel happy.

Being home has given me time to evaluate how I got to where I was in my life. How I lost my relationship with Michael and my friendship with Liz. I don't think I'll ever totally understand how I got so lost and how my feelings got so mixed up. The time away from everyone has helped me get my feelings for Max into perspective and I realise now that what I was feeling for him wasn’t really love. I was more in love with the idea of being in love with Max, then actually in love with him. It was hard at first to come to terms with but now that I have it’s been easier to move on. It also helped me realised that I wasn’t over Michael. I don’t think I ever will be.

I sigh as I walk back into my mother’s house. Although I love being home and feeling normal again I do miss everyone like crazy and can’t help but wonder what their lives are really like in New York.

Private Investigator

When I see them leave I see the perfect opportunity to break into the apartment and have a look around. After watching Maria for most of the afternoon only to not move from out front of her mother’s house I remember that Maria was holding an envelope when she entered the restaurant that morning and that she hadn’t left with it that afternoon.

My curiosity peaked I find myself breaking into the Parker’s apartment.
Getting in is easy its finding what I’m looking for that’s the hard part. I spend a half an hour going through drawers and piles of papers until I finally find it.

“Jackpot.” I grin as I stare at the piece of paper perched behind some photos on the mantel piece.

It's bad quality but sure enough it’s her. Elizabeth Parker. I remember the fax machine in the study and I quickly take a copy before placing the picture back where I found it. No sense in letting the Parkers know that someone has been in the apartment. I have what I need and now it’s time to call Eric Johnson.

I grin as I sneak out of the apartment and head back to the hotel. Man is he going to be pissed. Not only is his girlfriend fine and well it appears that she’s pregnant.
Emz80m
Roswell Fanatic

Re: Broken (ADULT M/L) - 28; Pg 14, 3/3/08

Post by Emz80m »

Thanks everyone, i hope you enjoy the new part :D

Eric POV

“So you’re saying that her friend is back in Roswell?” I ask almost impatiently.

This is the break I’ve been waiting for and for some reason this private investigator doesn’t seem to be taking this seriously.

“Yes.”

“For how long?” I ask

“Not long,” he replies.

“Well what have you found out?”

The phone is silent for a few seconds and I’m about to start yelling when I finally get the news I’m wanting.

“She showed up to see the Parkers with an envelope yesterday and when she left she wasn’t carrying it. I snuck in to have a look around last night and I found a picture. It looked recent, and it was definitely this Claudia that you’re looking for,” he explains.

“Does it give us any idea where she is?” I ask excitedly.

“No,” he tells me. “But there’s something that you should know.”

“What?” I snap.

“She doesn’t look sick; in fact she looks awfully well.”

“Obviously she’s gotten treatment,” I tell him.

“She’s also pregnant.”

I freeze. “Wh-hat?”

Surely I haven’t heard him right.

“In the photo she looks a few months along.”

I feel my face grow red as my anger grows. Claudia is pregnant with my baby and she actually had the hide to run away from me and try to hide it. I plan to make her pay but now I have twice the reason. Once I have her back and my baby in my possession Claudia Whitman will be sorry for every crossing me.

“Find her.” I order.

“How do you expect me to do that?” he asks. “I doubt this Maria is just going to tell me.”

I realise now what a mistake I’ve made bringing an amateur into the mix.

“True. Well thank you then, I think our business together is done.” I inform him.

“What?”

“I no longer require your services. I will wire the last of your payment into your account tomorrow.”

“But Mr Johnson...”

“Thank you for your help.”

Liz POV

I stumble into the kitchen for a glass of water and almost send a blast of power when I’m startled by someone opening the door.

“Whoa Liz,” Michael calls out.

“Michael?” I question.

“Yeah.”

“What are you doing?” I ask and then cast a glance at the clock on the microwave, “at 4am?” I add.

“Oh yeah I left a note,” he shrugs.

I look to the table where sure enough a note is placed.

I look down and notice the small bag in his hand along with his helmet.

“Are you going somewhere?” I ask.

“Yeah, I’m just going to take off for a few days. Clear my head,” he replies.

“Can I ask where you’re going?”

I wonder then who he will finally decide to go after. Will it be Serena whom I know he loves but is not the one he belongs with, or will he go after Maria the only woman he will ever truly love with his whole heart, the only one he will want to give everything up for?

I see then that even he doesn’t know yet.

“Just call every day and let us know you’re ok,” I tell him.

“I will. Bye Liz,” he whispers

Michael POV

This is the way you left me,
I'm not pretending.
No hope, no love, no glory,
No Happy Ending.
This is the way that we love,
Like its forever.
Then live the rest of our life
But not together.

Wake up in the morning, stumble on my life
Can't get no love without sacrifice
If anything should happen, I guess I wish you well
A little bit of heaven, but a little bit of hell

I wasn’t sure where I was going when I got on my bike so I just let it drive and before I knew it I’d been on the road for hours.

It wasn’t long before I realised where I was going and somehow I knew all along that it was the right.

It was time to put the past behind me and look to my future.

This is the hardest story that I've ever told
No hope, or love, or glory
happy endings gone forever more
I feel as if I feel as if I'm wasted
And I'm wastin' everyday

When I pass the welcome to sign it finally occurs to me that I don’t really have a plan of action. I have no idea how she is going to react to me showing up like this. Or even if she’ll want me here. I suddenly feel like this is a bad idea but I’ve come too far now to turn back. I have to see this through to the end or otherwise I could spend the rest of my life playing the ‘what if’ game.

I'm not pretending.
No Happy Ending.
Like its forever.
Then live the rest of our life,
But not together.

2 o'clock in the morning, something's on my mind
Can't get no rest; keep walkin' around
If I pretend that nothin' ever went wrong, I can get to my sleep
I can think that we just carried on

I sneak into town easily. I figure there’s no point in making my presence known until I know that she’s here.

I travel to her childhood home where I assume she’s staying and I sit and wait to get a glance at her for the first time in three months. When she appears I am almost blown away by how beautiful she is. It's amazing how much can change in such a short time.

This is the hardest story that I've ever told
No hope, or love, or glory
Happy endings gone forever more
I feel as if I feel as if I'm wasted
And I'm wastin' everyday

I'm not pretending.
No Happy Ending.
Like it's forever.
Then live the rest of our life,
But not together.

She’s smiling as she says goodbye to her mum and gets behind the wheel of her car. I decide to follow her curious about her life here now.

When she pulls up in the main street I’m not surprised. I find a street bench and watch as she gets herself a cup of coffee before going to work for the day.

I can deny she looks happy. Happier than I remember seeing her in a very long time and I wonder whether I really should be here to disturb that.

To live the rest of our life,
But not together.

After a few hours of just watching the front of the shop I decide it’s time to find a room for the night and check in with Max before Liz and Isabel send a search party out for me.

Eric POV

I glance at the clock again and towards my phone. I know it won’t make it ring any faster but I can barely contain my excitement at what I know is about to happen. Soon I will have all the answers I need to find Claudia and my child and the anticipation is killing me.

Maria POV

I’m almost thankful when the day ends and I can finish work and head home. Don’t get me wrong I’m grateful to be home and have a job but Roswell is so quiet and being around all of my mum’s alien paraphernalia is a little freaky sometimes.

I am just about to head to the door and change the sign from OPEN to CLOSED when two large men enter. They look around curiously and I wonder what two men like them would be doing in my mum’s store.

“Nice store,” one of them comments as he approaches.

“Thanks.” I try to smile but suddenly something feels very wrong, the hairs on the back of my neck are standing up.

I don’t think as I press the alarm button that Valenti installed in the store for my mum’s safety.

“Can I help you with something?” I ask.

“You closing for the day?” he asks

“Yeah, so if I can get something for you now is the time to ask.” I say.

“How about you just flick that sign to closed,” he says opening his jacket and showing me the gun he has.

“Do you want the money?” I ask. “You can have it. Just take it and go,” I say already opening the register to pull the cash out.

“Just do what I say.” he snaps.

“O-okay.”

I walk slowly to the doors and looks out hoping desperately that there will be somebody out there that can see I’m in trouble but there’s nobody so my only hope is that someone at the Sheriff’s department heard the alarm I set off.

When I turn back around brick and brack are both staring at me.

“Now why don't you tell us everything you know about where we can find Claudia Whitman,” they tell me.

Happy Ending – Mika
Emz80m
Roswell Fanatic

Re: Broken (ADULT M/L) - 29; Pg 15, 10/3/08

Post by Emz80m »

Thank you everyone for your feedback. I hope you enjoy this new part :D

Valenti

“Jim are you there?” I hear Hanson’s voice over the radio.

“Yeah Hanson, what’s up?” I ask.

“One of those alarms that you got installed a couple of years ago just went off,” he informs me.

I frown. After the kids went on the run Jeff, Phillip and I all decided that we needed to take charge of things, especially security and I had the Crashdown, Amy’s shop and the Evan’s home fitted with a panic alarm in case something, mostly the FBI, happened one day.

“Where at?” I ask.

Since being installed I haven’t had the alarms go off except for when we’re testing them.

“Amy Deluca’s shop.”

My footy automatically presses to the floor as I move the cruiser in the destination. It's too big a coincidence that it has gone off when Maria has recently started working there.

“Should I send someone over?” he asks.

“I’m on my way. I should be there in a couple of minutes,” I inform him. “I'll let you know if I need backup. Maria or Amy might have just bumped it,” I tell him. I already have my cell in my hand and am dialling the shop. If it’s been bumped accidently then someone should pick up and tell me that everything is ok.

Michael POV

I almost sigh in relief when the answering machine picks up. I didn’t really want to have to talk to Liz or Max right now because I know they’ll have all sorts of questions about where I am and when I’m coming back.

“It's just me,” I say after the beep. “Just checking in, wanted to let you know that I’m safe and sound and I'll keep my cell phone on if you need to reach me.”

I hang up after that and reach for my wallet and cell and place it in the pocket of my jacket. I figure that she will be getting ready to leave work for the day and I want to follow her to find out where she goes next.

Maria POV

I look between the two men in front of me and I do my best to mask my surprise at the mention of Claudia Whitman. I figure the only think I’ve got going for me right now is that they don’t know for sure that I actually know a Claudia Whitman.

“I’m sorry, who?” I ask.

The biggest guys narrow his eyes at me. “Claudia Whitman, where is she?” he asks.

“I do-don’t know a Claudia Whitman,” I tell him.

The other guy steps forward then and hands his partner a picture to which he goes about shoving in my face.

“Her,” he tells me. “Now tell me where she is and we’ll leave you alone.”

I look at the photo he’s showing me and sure enough there is a photo of Liz. She’s sitting with an attractive blonde man but even at first glance you can tell that something isn’t right about him. Maybe it’s the way he’s staring at her instead of the camera; his eyes have this gleam to them, a gleam of possession.

“Wow. Liz,” I whisper.

“So you do know her?” he asks happily.

“This is Liz Parker, we were best friends.” I tell him.

“Where is she?”

“I’m sorry but I haven’t seen Liz in over 12 months. She just took off one day from her job and I never saw her again.”

I can tell that these guys mean business and I’m hoping that if I give them a half truth I might buy myself enough time before Valenti or someone else shows up to help me.

He studies me for a while. “I don’t believe you,” he says.

He takes another menacing step forward and reaches for my arm, grabbing it hard and causing me to cry out in pain.

“Like I said, tell us what we want to know and we don’t hurt you. Play hero and things are going to get ugly.”

“I can’t tell you anything,” I cry as he yanks me across the room.

“Where is she? What name is she going by?” he screams at me.

“Her name is Liz Parker,” I say again.

I don’t even have time to prepare before his hand comes across my face.

“You’re lying,” he hisses at me.

Liz POV

I almost sign in relief when I see the front steps of our house. It's been a long day and I feel the start of a headache approaching.

I take the steps quickly and pull my keys out; I have the door pushed open when I feel the first signs. I place a hand against the door to brace myself as the flash over takes me.

It doesn’t last long, they never do but I’m instantly on alert.

“Oh God, Maria,” I whisper as I hurriedly push through the door and make my way to the phone.

Michael POV

I’m just about to start the bike when I feel my cell phone vibrate in my pocket. With a sign I pull it out and answer it.

“Hello?”

“Michael? Oh my God where are you?”

“Liz?” I ask when I hear the panicked voice on the other end.

“Michael, please tell me you’re in Roswell, please tell me you went to Maria,” she cries.

“Liz calm down. What’s wrong?” I ask.

“Maria’s in trouble. These guys, they’re big, I think it happens at Amy’s shop.”

“Shit.”

I don’t let Liz speak again before I’ve ended the phone call and move my bike at speeds I didn’t know existed to get to Maria before something bad happens.

Valenti POV

I pull the cruiser up a few shops up and with gun in hand quickly make my way to Amy’s shop. I’m careful not to be seen as I make my way to the window. I

The first thing I see is the CLOSED sign in the door way and try to get closer so that I can see inside. If there is someone in there with Maria or Amy it shouldn’t be too hard to see.

I keep low to the ground and move slowly until I have a good view of most of the store and my blood turns cold when I finally spot Maria. She’s sitting in a chair, blood running from her nose with two men standing over her with guns.

“Shit,” I curse. I should have known better. I should never have let her come back to Roswell.

I am just contemplating the best way to take care of the situation when I hear the roar of a motor bike. I look up just in time to see it being pulled up quickly next to the cruiser and almost sigh in relief when I recognise the person racing towards me.

Max POV

“Did you call Isabel and Kyle?” I ask Liz as we shove our bags into the back of my car.

“Yes, she and Kyle will be waiting,” she informs me.

“Did you get hold of Michael?” she asks.

“No,” I frown. I’ve been trying Michael ever since I got Liz’s frantic phone call about her premonition. I can only assume he’s on his way to Maria if he isn’t already in Roswell.

Despite that, Liz and I both knew we need to high tail it to Roswell as quickly as possible.

“Keep trying Maria,” I tell her. “Then try Valenti again. If you can’t get either of them by the time we reach Isabel and Kyle’s then it’s time to start calling Amy’s,” I inform her.

“Ok,” she nods. I know she’s scared, the premonition really knocked the wind out of her. But right now we just need to concentrate on getting to Roswell as soon as possible in hopes that we have bought a little bit of time.

“I hope Isabel got the flights booked.”

“I’m sure she did.”

After ten minutes in the car Liz throws her phone into her lap in frustration. “No one’s answering. Why won’t they pick up their God damn phones,” she cries.

I reach over and take one of her small hands. “It's going to be ok.”

“How do you know?” she asks me.

I don’t but I have to believe that it will be or otherwise what have we got?

“I don’t but normally your premonitions give us some time.”

“I just wish I knew where Michael was.” she says.

“You and me both.”

Michael POV

“What’s going on?” I ask Valenti as soon as I next to him on the footpath out the front of Amy’s shop. I knew as soon as I pulled up and the Cruiser was there that Liz’s premonition had already happened. Normally we have some time but for some reason, this time, it hasn’t given us any warning.

“Two guys with guns have Maria,” he informs me.

“Shit,” I curse. “Is she ok?” I ask concerned. Why did I leave? If I had just stayed out the front where I had been all morning then I would have known something was wrong sooner.

“She’s got a bloody nose, that’s all I can tell,” he replies.

“FBI?” I ask fearing the worst.

“I don’t know Michael. If it was the FBI I think they would have just taken her but these guys they don’t look like the normal FBI types.”

“Let me see,” I demand and wait for Valenti to move so I can take his position.

I peer in and the first thing I see is the blood dripping from Maria’s nose. I silently promise her that I'll make them pay for hitting her.

“You’re right,” I agree. These two guys don’t look like the normal FBI type. “But if they’re not FBI who are they?” I ask.

Valenti looks at me and then shrugs.

I feel my phone going off in my pocket and curse. “Shit, Liz saw this in a premonition. She thought I’d have enough time to get here. I should call them and tell them what’s going on.”

“You go and call her and I'll try and work out how we’re going to get in there and get Maria out.” he says.

I move away from the shop and pick up the phone and dial Liz’s cell.

“Thank God Michael where are you?” she answers on the first ring.

“Roswell,” I reply.

“Is Maria ok?” she asks quickly.

“No. Two guys with guns have her holed up in Amy’s shop,” I inform her.

“My premonition,” she whispers.

“Yeah, only thing is they don’t look like the FBI so I could just be a burglary or something and Valenti and his guys can take care of it.”

“No, No, No,” I hear Liz chant.

“What is it Liz?”

“No Michael, I would have told you earlier if you hadn’t hung up on me but I recognised one of the guys who had Maria in my premonition,” she replies.

“Who is it?” I ask.

“It's one of Eric’s guys Michael. He’s looking for me and he’s going to use Maria to find me.” she cries.

“Shit,” I curse. “Listen Liz, stay where you are, ok? Don’t come here that’s what he’s going to want. I'll get Maria out safely, ok?”

“No Michael we’re coming. We’ve booked a flight we’ll be there as quickly as we can.”

“Put Max on.”

I hear a shuffle and seconds later Max’s voice greets me on the other end. “What the hell are you doing letting her come here if you knew this Eric guy was after her?” I ask.

“We can keep her safe Michel,” he replies.

“I can take care of this,” I tell him.

“Then do it. But either way I’m taking care of this Eric guy once and for all,” he informs me.

“Max...”

“We’re not going to live in fear any longer Michael. It's time to take back our lives once and for all.”

I end the call after that and head over to Valenti to tell him everything I know.

“You better get back up,” I tell him.

“You sure?” he asks.

“They’re human and they’re after Liz,” I tell him.