Endings & Beginnings (M/L AU ADULT) (Complete)

This is the gallery for the winners of the fanfic awards to show off their fics, and their banners!

Moderators: Itzstacie, Forum Moderators

Emz80m
Roswell Fanatic

Post by Emz80m »

Twenty

Liz felt nervous as she picked up the phone and dialled the number in front of her.

It had been a week since she had sent the first email to Alex and since then they had been exchanging emails every day. Today though Liz had decided not to email but instead to pick up the phone and call him.

It had been a very intense week for Liz emotionally. Not just because she had heard from Alex for the first time in seven years, but also because of the change in her relationship with Max.

They had talked several times since the phone call a week ago and during those conversations they had both confessed a lot to each other. Max told her about his talk with Serena and Liz confessed her fear that their relationship would come between hers and Serena’s friendship. Of course, nothing had been resolved through the endless talks but one thing was clear to Liz and that was that Max was just as confused about his feelings as she was. It scared her because she wasn’t sure that she would come out on top when all was said and done but she had resolved to not push him for the moment, she would give him some time to work through things in his head.

So instead, Liz was concentrating on things with Alex. She looked forward to his emails but tonight she wanted to hear an old familiar voice.

Her hands trembled as she dialled the numbers, her breath hitched as the phone began to ring on the other end.

“Hello?” his deep voiced answered. Alex sounded different than Liz remembered and she found herself lost for words.

“Hello?” Alex asked again.

“Hi Alex,” Liz finally whispered out.

There was silence on the other end for a little while. “Liz is that you?” he asked.

“Yeah,” Liz replied.

On the other end, Liz could hear Alex’s breath hitch. “Wow, I can’t believe you’re calling,” he said honestly.

Liz smiled, “Well I thought it was time to move on from the emails,” she told him.

“I’ve missed your voice Lizzie,” Alex told her. “I’ve missed you,” he added.

Liz felt tears in her eyes. “No one’s called me Lizzie in a lot of years Alex,” she chuckled slightly then. “I’ve missed you too Alex,” she confessed.

“Sorry I’m late,” Isabel apologised as she rushed into the small coffee shop and took the spare seat next to Maria and Tess.

She had been on her way to meet the girls for their usual weekly coffee date when Alex had gotten a phone call from Liz, and he had been so excited that Isabel couldn’t bring herself to leave until she had found out what had been said between the two old friends.

Isabel knew that not everyone agreed with Alex’s choice to get in contact with Liz again, but she understood it perfectly. Isabel knew better than anyone how guilty Alex had felt for many years about not being in contact with her and that was why she encouraged him to get in contact with Liz years ago. Isabel had wanted to send Liz an invitation to their wedding but at the time Alex hadn’t been ready to bridge the gap between the friends, but now he was and Isabel was going to support him.

“No problem,” Tess smiled. “We were catching up on things.”

“Great so what have I missed?” Isabel asked.

Maria and Tess shared a look, “Actually I’ve got some news,” Maria confessed.

“Spill,” Isabel ordered.

“I have a gig singing again,” she smiled happily.

“That’s great Maria,” Isabel told her.

“Yeah I think so too. It’s nothing big but it has potential. The club does get some records scouts drop by occasionally.”

Both Tess and Isabel knew that it was Maria’s dream to get a recording contract. Unfortunately being involved with Michael had held her back for a long time but Maria never seemed to let it bother her. Something seemed different though about this gig than the others, Maria seemed more serious and Isabel hoped that maybe this time around Maria would get her chance.

“So what else has been happening?” Isabel asked curiously.

Tess sighed, “Not much,” she shrugged.

“How’s Max?” Maria asked curiously. Maria hardly saw him now that he travelled so much, she also suspected that he was keeping his distance from her since their conversation about Liz; she knew that he still spoke to Michael regularly.

“Actually he’s been very quiet, distant this week,” Tess admitted. It was something that she was getting used to. Max had certainly changed since he’d begun travelling to New Haven but something about his mood this week was different and if Tess was truthful with herself, it scared her.

Isabel frowned. “Is everything ok?” she asked.

“I’m not sure. I tried to talk to him about it but he just says he’s tired,” she replied.

“He’s been like that since he started travelling to New Haven. Maybe the travelling is just getting to him,” Maria pointed out.

“Maybe,” Isabel frowned.

“I’m not really sure what to do anymore,” Tess admitted. “I feel like we’re drifting apart from each other and I don’t know how to stop it.”

“Oh Tess,” Maria sighed.

“Have you told Max this?” Isabel asked.

“I’ve tried but he can’t see anything but his own unhappiness at the moment. He hates his job here and he loves the job in New Haven so he thinks the travelling is worth it. He doesn’t understand that the pursuit of happiness for him could potentially tear us apart,” she began to cry.

“It’s not like Max to be so selfish,” Maria frowned. “I think you really need to sit down and talk to him.”

“I agree,” Isabel nodded but she didn’t think it would do Tess any good. Isabel actually believed that if Tess pushed Max too much too soon then she could easily loose him.

“Why don’t you take some time off next month and go to New Haven with him? It’s a great way to spend some time together and to find out whether you think you could live in New Haven,” Maria suggested.

Tess dried her eyes, “You’re right. I think I’ll do that, it can be surprise for Max.”

“I’m sure he’ll love it,” Isabel told her doing her best to appear supportive.

“Ok enough about me, what’s going on with you Isabel?” Tess asked.

Isabel smiled slightly at the question. There was a lot going on in her life but she wasn’t quite ready to share it with Maria and Tess yet. Normally she wouldn’t hesitate in telling him, she considered them her best friends, but lately she felt a little out of the loop with them.

“Not too much to report,” she replied, “but Alex spoke to Liz today.” she told them.

Isabel watched both of the girl’s reactions curiously. Tess seemed surprised but curious and Maria seemed angry and hurt.

“Really? Where has she been all this time?” Tess asked.

“I’m not sure where she’s living right now but she did go to Harvard,” Isabel told them.

Maria’s frowned, “So what is she doing now?” she asked.

“Alex said she got her micro-biology degree and now’s she a department head of a research division,” Isabel shrugged.

“Sounds impressive,” Tess said not liking the idea of Max and Liz sharing a profession.

“Liz always had big dreams,” Maria whispered.

“Alex said she seems so different,” Isabel told them then.

“How?”

“I’m not sure what he meant he just said he feels like he has to get to know her all over again,” Isabel shrugged.

“I don’t understand why Alex couldn’t have left well enough alone,” Maria spoke up then.

“Why does it bother you Maria? I thought you of all people would understand why Alex wants Liz is his life again,” Isabel argued.

“Of course I do. There hasn’t been a day that I haven’t missed Liz but we made a decision consciously or not to not drag Liz into the alien abyss and now Alex after all these years is just going to drag her into it and make everything we’ve done over the past seven years mean nothing,” Maria responded passionately.

“Maria, all Alex is doing is talking to her and as far as I’m concerned it’s a long time coming. You might be able to live with your decision to cut your best friend out of your life but Alex can’t,” Isabel replied frostily.

“It’s not like Max ever gave us much choice in the matter is it,” Maria snapped.

“What’s Max got to do with it?” Tess asked.

“It was Max who didn’t want Liz involved with all the aliens in the first place,” Maria explained to Tess.

“Why not?” she asked pretending to not know Max’s reasons. Tess was curious to hear the other side of the story.

“Because he thought it wouldn’t be safe for Liz after the whole healing at the Crashdown thing. He thought that if he and Liz were associated too closely it could be dangerous for her.”

Tess nodded, “Makes sense.”

“Max never meant for Liz to be cut out of all our lives though,” Isabel spoke up in her brother’s defence. “He never wanted to alienate Liz; he cared too much for her to ever want to hurt her.”

“Yeah but he did time and time again Isabel,” Maria snapped. “You and I both know that every time he ignored her or rejected her that he hurt her.”

“He also hurt himself,” Isabel argued.

“God you two make it sound as though they had this great love or something,” Tess scoffed. As far as she was concerned she was Max’s first everything so she was ready to ignore their ramblings until she saw the look on both her best friends faces.

“What?”

“Tess, they were in love and when they both realised they weren’t going to be together it was really sad…” Maria admitted.

Tess looked at Isabel then hoping that she would dispute Maria’s words. “It’s true. Max might not have shown it to the outside world how miserable he was, but he spent weeks brooding in his room listening to the Counting Crows. It wasn’t until you and Nasedo showed up that he snapped out of it because he had all this responsibility lumped on his shoulders.”

“Oh,” Tess frowned. How on earth did this information escape her? Sure, she had assumed Max had a crush on Liz but since he made no move for it to ever be anything more Tess just assumed it was a passing thing. So was it true, had Max been in love with Liz Parker?

As soon as Maria and Isabel saw the crestfallen look on Tess’s face, they knew they had put their foot in it. Didn’t everyone know the Max and Liz history? Then they remembered. None of them had ever welcomed Tess into their group with open arms. Max had disliked her from word go, hating the idea that he had a preordained destiny. Michael and Isabel did everything they could to prove every word out of her mouth wrong.

“I’m sorry Tess. I assumed that you and Max discussed this. I mean you had your relationship with Kyle…” Isabel said.

Tess plastered a smile on her face, “Exactly, so it’s fine. I mean the important thing is that Max loves me now and Liz isn’t even in our lives,” she smiled.

“That’s right,” Maria nodded.

“I’m sure Max hasn’t even thought about Liz in years,” Isabel added.

“Exactly,” Tess smiled but as she said the words, Tess’s confidence in her words was quickly vanishing.
Emz80m
Roswell Fanatic

Post by Emz80m »

Thanks everyone

begonia9508 - oops complete mistake on my part. Just a detail i lost track of.
Thumbelina
BehrObsession
futuremrsmcdreamy - i love your username!!
Stars at Night10
L-J-L 76

Twenty-One

Max looked up from the suitcase in front of him when Tess glided into their bedroom. Her face was lit up with a smile and he could immediately tell that she was excited about something.

“Hey,” he greeted her and accepted the kiss she offered.

“Hey,” she replied resisting the urge to frown at the fact that he was packing to leave to New Haven again. He was getting a flight out on Sunday night this time because apparently his usual flight had been cancelled.

“Guess what?”

“What?” Max asked.

“I wanted to surprise you so I hadn’t said anything earlier but I just confirmation from work,” she started to explain.

“Ok?” Max nodded urging her to continue. He had no idea where she was leading with her story.

“I got some leave approved so I’m coming to New Haven with you on your next trip,” she grinned.

Max did his best to hide his shock and horror at her news. He thought he had been doing a good job at putting her off when she suggested coming with him.

“Isn’t that great?” she asked a little disappointed at Max’s lack of enthusiasm.

“Um yeah, but don’t you think you should have discussed it with me first?” he asked.

“I wanted to surprise you,” she frowned. “You’re not happy are you?”

“Its not that, I’m just worried about what your going to do while your there. I work all day Tess and we don’t have a car. I don’t want you to get bored and complain the whole three days.”

“Well I can see the sights. I mean if you’re contemplating moving there shouldn’t we at least see if we like it first? And I’m sure you’ll have some time to show me around.”

Max felt dread fill his stomach. If Tess came to New Haven how was he supposed to stop her from running into Liz, and how was he supposed to break the news to Liz that he would have to stay with Tess at the hotel?

The sick feeling in the pit of his stomach that he had been feeling for weeks intensified.

How much longer could he seriously do this? He wasn’t sure anymore.

Tess moved forward and wrapped her arms around his middle then. “I just want to feel close to you,” she whispered. “Since you’ve started travelling it feels like you have this whole new life that I’m not a part of.”

Max rubbed her shoulders gently and closed his eyes. “I’m sorry,” he replied.

“I just thought that if I came with you that you could show me where you worked, I could meet the people that you work with. I mean you love New Haven Max so why not show me what you love about it?” she pleaded.

“Ok,” Max agreed and kissed her head. “You can come and I’ll show you where I work and some nice little restaurants that I’m sure you’d love,” he agreed.

Tess pushed back from his chest and reached up on her tippy toes to kiss him. “Thank you Max.”

Liz was awakened to the feel of someone stroking her hair and her immediate reaction was to throw her hand up ready to attack.

“Shh it’s just me,” Max immediately spoke.

“Max?” Liz questioned as she sat up.

“Hey,” he smiled at her.

“What are you doing here?” she asked surprised. She had her alarms set to pick up him early the next morning.

“I got an earlier flight. I really wanted to see you,” he admitted.

Liz quickly wrapped her arms around his neck and pulled him down onto the bed with her.

“This is a nice surprise,” she told him.

“I thought we deserved it after the couple of weeks we’ve had,” he explained.

Liz’s smile dimmed a little. “Yeah it’s been hard,” she admitted. “But I’ve had Alex to distract me,” she reminded him.

“Yeah that’s right. How’s that going?” he asked as he continued to keep Liz close to him.

“Good,” Liz smiled. “There feels like so much to catch up on but once we start we sometimes forget to stop,” she told him thinking about the hours and hours of phone conversations and msn chats that they’d had.

“I’d be jealous if I didn’t know how head over heals in love with my sister Alex was,” Max grinned.

“Yeah they seems really happy,” she acknowledge choosing to ignore the fact that Max had mentioned being jealous. Shouldn’t she be the one who was jealous since he already had girlfriend?

“It’s late,” Liz said then. “Why don’t you undress and come to bed,” she suggested.

Max grinned, “I like how your mind works,” he told her. He hadn’t been able to stop thinking about her since he boarded the flight. He quickly removed everything except for his boxers and climbed into bed beside Liz.

“I’ve missed you,” Liz whispered.

“Me too,” he told her as he kissed her softly. Max knew that he should tell her about Tess’s impending visit soon but he didn’t want to ruin their week right away, he would wait a little while.

Their kisses turned more heated as they slowly removed the final of barriers of clothes between them, and as effortless as it had become between them their connection opened as Max slowly slipped inside of Liz, joining them body and soul. Tonight they concentrated on sending their love to one another through the connection as Max moved in and out of Liz.

“Oh Max yes,” Liz moaned.

“You feel so good Liz,” Max whispered.

Their slicked bodies glided together as they strove to reach their peaks.

“Ah Max more,” Liz pleaded.

“Oh God Liz I’m not going to last much longer,” Max told her.

“Me either but don’t stop yet,” she begged

Max reached between them and rubbed her clit in an effort to push Liz over the edge.

“Come with me Liz,” he whispered. “Come around me while I come inside of you.”

The combination of his hands and his words were enough to send Liz over the edge.

“Yes….ahh MAX!!” she cried out.

“LIZ!!” Max cried.

They slumped on the bed together, completely exhausted, and sweaty.

“That was amazing,” Liz spoke when she finally got her breath back.

“It always is,” Max whispered all of a sudden deep in thought. Love making with Liz was like nothing he’d ever experienced before in his life. The connection between them was so profound, so strong that sometimes it left him gasping for air.

They’d talked about the connection many times but it still intrigued them. Liz suspected that it sprung from Max healing her since he had had to connect with her so deeply to heal her. Max thought that her reason was the most probable but sometimes suspected that there was more to it, that maybe the day he had saved her life he had put events into place that couldn’t be changed.

“You’re thinking about why we have out connection again aren’t you?” Liz asked.

Max smiled, “Even without it you always know what I’m thinking about.”

“That’s because we’re soul mates Max,” Liz whispered.

Max looked down at Liz surprised by her words. It was the fist time he had heard her put a name to the relationship they had.

“Joined together through this life and the next no matter how far apart we are physically,” she added quietly, so quietly Max almost missed it.

Liz yawned then. “I’m tired,” she admitted. “Lets get some sleep or we’ll be useless tomorrow,” she suggested.

“Ok,” he agreed and wrapped an arm around Liz as she turned her back to him.

Liz quickly fell into a peaceful sleep, a smile on her face but sleep took a long time to come for Max that night. Instead, he was plagued with thoughts of soul mates and connections and the ultimate question he had yet to find the answer for to. Soul mates or Destiny?

Max waited until dinner that night to break the news to Liz.

“About my next visit…” he started.

Liz immediately looked up, his tone indicating that she wasn’t going to like what he had to say.

“Yeah?” Liz asked.

Max took a deep breath. “Tess took some time off work and has decided to come with me.”

Liz was silent as she studied Max’s face in an effort to see if he was joking with her or not.

“Why?” she asked.

“She wants to see New Haven, decide whether she likes it,” Max replied.

“And you told her she could come?” Liz asked clearly upset now. Obviously Max was still planning to bring Tess with him to New Haven if he ever finally accepted the transfer.

“I didn’t know anything about it until last night. She sprung it on me but I couldn’t exactly tell her no,” he replied.

Liz knew he was right but it didn’t change the fact that she was hurt, and upset that she wouldn’t get to spend any time with him.

“How do you plan on pulling it off?” she asked then.

Max frowned. “I have no idea. I was hoping you could help me,” he added then.

“You want my help in stopping your girlfriend from finding out that you’re fucking me behind her back?” Liz asked angrily. She was obviously hearing things because there was no way Max had just been so insensitive to ask her to help him hide their affair from Tess.

“I didn’t think what we shared was fucking,” Max snapped.

“No you’re right. We make love because apparently we love each other,” Liz said sarcastically. “I’m still not sure where Tess fits into it all.”

Max sighed, “She’s my girlfriend Liz; you know that, you’ve known it from the word go.”

“And I’m supposed to be ok with it?” Liz asked. “I’m supposed to be happy that you’re bringing her here to the only place I get to be with you?” she cried.

“No I don’t expect you to be at all. I’m not happy about it,” Max confessed.

Liz wanted to scream at him to do something about it then but her heart stopped her. Instead, she stood up and walked out of the kitchen.

“Just keep her away from work Max and I’ll stay out of your way,” she spoke over her shoulder.

Max sat for hours after she left in the kitchen. He could hear her crying in the bedroom but he didn’t dare go in because he knew she wasn’t ready.

Inside her room, Liz’s tears had finally disappeared and she picked up the phone and dialled the familiar number.

“Hey,” he answered. “Didn’t expect to hear from you tonight.” He added.

It hadn’t taken a genius to work out why Alex didn’t hear from Liz on the nights he knew Max was in New Haven. They had never verbalised it but Alex and Liz both knew that he knew that Max and Liz were in contact. It was the rest that Alex hadn’t worked out yet.

“Hey,” she replied. “Just thought I’d ring and say hi,” she told him.

Alex spent the next half an hour making her laugh and smile that she almost forgot about Max being in her living room but when she hung the phone up she realised she couldn’t avoid him any longer, it had already been hours. To make things better she also thought she had a plan of action to deal with the impending arrival of Tess.

Max jumped off the couch when she appeared in the doorway of the living room.

“I’m sorry,” he immediately said. “I don’t like this situation any more than you,” he told her.

Liz ignored his words. It was pointless arguing with him about how only he could change their situation so instead she chose to protect her heart.

“I talked to Alex,” she said.

“Oh ok,” Max nodded, jealously forming a knot in his stomach again. Not because he thought there was something going on, but jealousy that Liz felt she could talk to Alex when she obviously couldn’t to him.

“I’ve decided to ask for some leave I have owing and go home to Roswell when Tess is here.”

“Oh,” Max frowned.

“I can’t be here and see you two together, and she can’t see me so…”

“So you’re going to Roswell,” Max finished for her.

The plan was brilliant but Max still hated it. He knew he was driving her out of her home and he wondered what would become of Liz if he moved to New Haven with Tess permanently. It was the first time he realised the enormity of the situation. If Liz couldn’t be in the same city as Tess for three days, she wouldn’t live there with them in the same city. If he moved their affair would be over, their friendship too probably.

“Yeah,” Liz whispered as she wrapped her arms around herself. “It will be good to see my parents, and I’m going to see Alex too,” she told him.

“That’s good,” he nodded.

“Yeah,” Liz nodded. “I’m tired so I’m going to go to bed,” she added then before she made her way out of the room and back into her bedroom, leaving Max behind again.
Emz80m
Roswell Fanatic

Post by Emz80m »

Thanks guys! i hope you enjoy this new part too :D

Twenty-Two

“So you’re going to see her?” Isabel asked.

Alex had just finished telling her about Liz’s impending visit to Roswell and how they planned to catch up wile she was in New Mexico.

“Yeah but I’m going to go to Roswell,” he replied.

Isabel smiled. “I’m happy for you,” she told him.

“Thanks.”

“Are you going to tell the others?” she asked then.

Alex’s smile dropped then. “Liz asked me not too. She’s aware that you know and if you want to come with me I know she’ll be happy to see you.”

“But she doesn’t want to see Mara or Max?” she asked curiously.

Alex hated lying to his wife but he knew he couldn’t tell her about his suspicions that Max and Liz were already in contact. Neither had confirmed it but Alex knew that Liz lived in New Haven. He wanted to tell Isabel but he didn’t think it was a good idea. Obviously Max had a reason for keeping his contact with Liz a secret so Alex had decided to pretend he didn’t know for the time being.

“She didn’t say that exactly. Actually she didn’t even mention Max but she said that if the others wanted to see her then they could get in contact with her like I did,” he shrugged.

Isabel sighed, “Somehow I don’t think Maria will be lining up to see her anyway. I’m not sure what her problem is but she’s dead against bringing Liz back into our lives.”

“I know. I’m sick of arguing with her about it so I’m not going to tell her,” Alex replied.

“Are you sure that’s smart? Liz is bound to run into Amy in Roswell, what if she tells Maria?” Isabel asked worried.

“I’m sure it won’t be the first time Amy has seen her then. Liz comes home every Christmas and Thanksgiving,” Alex informed Isabel.

“Really? We’ve never seen her,” she said sadly.

“Yeah well that probably has something to do with the fact that none of us really go near the Crashdown anymore,” he pointed out. They had started frequenting the pizza pan instead of going in to the Crashdown and facing Jeff and Nancy Parker.

“True.”

“Anyway she won’t be here for another few week so you have plenty of time to decide if you want to come and see her or not,” Alex told her.

Serena could feel the tension in the air between Max and Liz the moment they walked into the office and she suspected that most of the other employees had noticed it too.

“What’s going on?” she demanded.

“Sorry?” Liz asked.

“What’s going on between the two of you, are you fighting or something?” she asked.

“It’s nothing,” Max said quietly as he spied a look at Liz who was concentrating on her coffee to avoid looking at Serena.

“Well it seems like something and I’m sure everyone else has noticed too,” Serena told them.

“I should get to work,” Max said. “I’ll see you both at lunch time,” he added.

He wanted to talk to Liz, he had tried that morning but Liz wasn’t being cooperative.

Serena barely waited until Max was out of the office before she pounced on Liz.

“Tell me.”

“Tess is coming to New Haven,” Liz shrugged.

“What!” Serena gasped. “When?”

“In a fortnight,” Liz replied.

“Why the hell is she coming here? Does she suspect?” Serena asked.

Liz looked up at her friend then, tears filled her big brown eyes. “She wants to see if she likes it here so she can decide whether she and Max should move here.”

“Oh Liz,” Serena whispered immediately seeing the problem.

If Tess was coming to check out New Haven then obviously, Max still planned to bring her.

“I never really thought about it until last night but what am I going to do if she moves here with him Sere?” she asked.

“I don’t know babe,” Serena replied.

Liz wiped her eyes and took a deep breath. “This is crazy,” she said.

“Liz, I wish I could tell you what to do here. If I thought you could end this and come out of it the other side I’d tell you to dump him right this second but I know you’re already in over your head.”

“I love him,” she whispered, “and I know he loves me,” Liz told her.

“Then the answer to both your problems is simple,” Serena shrugged.

Liz waited anxiously for the answer.

“Tell him to dump her ass and choose you,” Serena said.

Liz nodded. “I know you’re right but I’m just not there yet,” she admitted. “I have to be ready to face life without him before I give him the ultimatum and I’m just not ready yet.”

“So Max away again?” Kyle asked curiously.

This was the first time he had seen Tess in quite a few months but when she had called and asked him if he wanted to catch up, he had agreed.

At first, after returning and seeing Tess, Kyle had thought there might be a possibility of there being something more between them again, even after she revealed her relationship with Max. Kyle realised now though that it was unrealistic. Tess was so head over heals in love with Evans that he doubted she would ever see him, or their relationship for what it was. A Fraud.

Kyle just couldn’t wait to see Max Evans. After his talk with Alex, Kyle had confirmed with his father that Liz did indeed live in New Haven and still worked for Cellcon.

“Yeah,” Tess replied. “But next time he goes to New Haven I’m going with him,” she revealed.

“Really?” he asked curiously. That would be interesting. How did Max plan to hide Liz’s existence in New Haven from Tess then?

“Yep, gotta check it out sooner or later and decide whether I could actually live there or not because sooner or later Max will have to make a decision on whether he wants to take the transfer or not,” she replied.

“Well hopefully you’ll like it and that will solve all your problems.”

“Yeah maybe,” Tess replied vaguely.

“Things not too good?” Kyle asked curiously.

Tess hesitated in speaking. “It feels weird talking to you about this kind of stuff,” she admitted.

Kyle chuckled. “Yeah I’m not surprised. But if you need me I’m a good listener,” Kyle told her.

“Thanks Kyle,” Tess smiled. “You’re a really great friend.”

“Hey,” Max said when he poked his head in Liz’s office.

“Hey,” Liz replied when she looked up.

“Want to go for a walk and get some lunch?” he asked hopefully.

“Yeah,” Liz smiled and nodded.

They gathered their coats and walked out of the building. They were both aware that there was curious stares following them but they ignored them.

“So about last night…” Max started.

“Yeah,” Liz nodded. “I said some things…”

“Yeah we both did” Max added in.

“I just wish things could be different,” Liz said honestly. Her words held so much meaning and Liz wondered if Max would really understand what she was trying to say.

“Me too,” Max agreed, a far away look on his face as he contemplated all the things in his life he did truly wish were different.

“Anyway, I put in for my leave and I got it approved,” Liz explained.

“Oh well that’s good,” Max nodded.

“Yeah it is. I’m actually really excited about the trip now,” she told him honestly.

Max reached for her hand then and entwined it with his own. “Its going to be so hard not seeing you,” he admitted.

“I know. I’ll be in New Mexico and you’ll be here.”

“Yeah,” He agreed.

They walked in silence for a while until they reached the deli they both liked to get their sandwiches from. Once inside they ordered their usuals and then made the short walk to the park around the corner.

“Max?”

“Yeah?” Max replied.

“What’s going to happen between us if you ever accept this transfer?” Liz found herself asking.

Max finished the bite of sandwich he had in his mouth as he looked out at the scenery.

“I don’t know,” he replied quietly.

He turned to look at Liz then and saw the look of hurt on her face. “I’m sorry,” he added.

“Yeah well, we were only supposed to be casual,” she tried to shrug off but her actions were almost useless, her acting skills terrible.

“Liz…” Max started.

“No its ok. I mean this is what I signed up for,” Liz quickly added.

Max hated the reminder of what it was they had agreed to. A casual affair. He knew as well as Liz that they had stepped over the bounds of a casual affair months ago. He doubted what they shared could ever be considered casual.

Max opened his mouth to speak again but once again, Liz quickly talked over him to stop him.

“Enough of all this depressing talk,” she ordered. “We only have tonight and tomorrow before you go home so I want to make the most of it since it will be a month before I get to see you again,” she said trying to make her voice seem cheerier.

Max hesitated in going a long with her but one look at her face and he knew that she wasn’t in a position to continue their conversation any more.

“What did you have in mind?” he asked with a smile.

Maria was nervous as hell as she sat in front of the man in the suit. She couldn’t believe that one of the record label reps really wanted to talk to her. Sure, her gig had gone off well, but it usually did and nothing would come of it.

“Ms Deluca I was very impressed with your music the other night,” he said.

“Thank you,” Maria smiled.

“It was original and you have a very unique voice,” he continued.

Maria blushed.

“We’re interested in getting you in the recording studio to do a demo,” he told her then.

“Seriously?” Maria asked shocked.

“Very,” he nodded. “I think if this demo goes as well I think it will that you could be the next Christina or Alanis, Maria,” he told her.

Maria held her joy in for only a second before letting out a squeal and launching herself into the man for a hug.

“Oh thank you so much I won’t let you down,” she promised him.

As Maria walked out of the meeting and looked around the street of Las Cruses, she couldn’t remember ever feeling so positive about life. She couldn’t wait to tell Michael. This was her dream and all of a sudden, Maria could feel it in her grasp. Life was very good.
Emz80m
Roswell Fanatic

Post by Emz80m »

thanks everyone :D

roswelllostcause
BehrObsession
futuremrsmcdreamy
kj4ever
begonia9508
Addicted2AmberEyes
orphyfets
Natalie36
L-J-L 76
VeronicB

Twenty-Three

The next few weeks seemed to fly by for Liz and before she knew it, she was packing her bags for Roswell.

She had decided to fly out on the Friday night so she would get a whole five days in with her family before taking a flight back on Wednesday night. Also, she couldn’t help but hope that maybe she might get lucky and run into Max, although that seemed unlikely, since she hadn’t even told him about her plans.

Liz was excited about her visit, it wasn’t often that she got to just drop everything and go home to see her parents. It had been almost a year since she had been home but she was lucky because her parents made it out to New Haven a couple of times a year as well. Liz was also nervous about her meeting with Alex. It was easy enough to talk with him through emails and over the phone but face to face was a completely different thing. She knew that she would see the guilt in his eyes over the way he had treated her, and that he would see the sadness in her eyes that this was what their friendship had come to.

“You all packed?” Serena asked.

She was driving Liz to the airport. At first, Liz had suggested that Serena go with her but Serena had declined telling Liz that she thought this was something that she needed to do on her own. Of course she had been dead right and Liz had already known that.

“Yep. Let’s go,” Liz smiled.

The drive to the airport in traffic took longer than usual but the girls made the time up with small talk about gossip going around Cellcon. Luckily, Max and Liz had managed to avoid being part of that gossip for the time being with most people simply happy to believe that the pair were only good friends.

“Are you seeing Max?” Serena asked curiously.

They didn’t talk about Max too much because most of the time it would depress Liz. Serena knew that Liz was moving closer to making a decision about Max’s part in her life and she was content to let her do it on her own, knowing that she would come to her when she needed her.

“He doesn’t know I’m coming tonight,” Liz admitted.

“How come?” Serena asked surprised.

Liz shrugged, “It just didn’t come up. I think we’ve both been trying to avoid the whole Tess coming to New Haven conversation so he doesn’t bring up my trip to Roswell either,” Liz explained.

“You going to ring him when you get there?” Serena asked.

“Maybe,” Liz replied. “I doubt I’ll get to see him though. How would he explain that to Tess and the others? Or how would I explain that to my parents?”

“True,” Serena shrugged.

“So you’re not going to see any of your other friends while you’re there?” Serena asked.

Liz had finally confided in Serena the story about her friendship with Alex and Maria and what had happened. Serena had been shocked and appalled at their behaviour towards Liz and found it hard to believe that Liz had been willing to forgive Alex so easily.

“I wasn’t innocent,” Liz had said.

“You were a victim of circumstance,” Serena had objected.

“Maybe but like I said to Alex, I wasn’t ready to never be friends with him again. I didn’t want that regret on my shoulders.”

“You’re a good person Liz,” Serena had replied.

“Sometimes,” Liz smiled.

“I’ll see Kyle,” she answered.

“Well I think you should call Max and tell him you’re in Roswell. If he finds a way to see you then you know that you’re more than just a casual affair to him,” Serena pointed out.

“Maybe,” Liz said.

Once at the airport Liz and Serena hugged and kissed before Serena left Liz to board her flight. Prepared with a book for the flight Liz was just about to turn her cell off when it vibrated in her hand.

A quick look at the boarding gate told her she had time to answer the call from Max, so she picked up.

“Hey,” she greeted him.

“Hey,” he replied.

Liz could barely hear him with all the noise around her.

“Where are you?” he asked.

“The airport,” Liz yelled back.

“What? You’re flying in tonight?” he asked surprised.

“Yeah I get in late tonight,” Liz, told him.

There was silence on the other end as Max contemplated what she said. He hadn’t been prepared for Liz to arrive in New Mexico before he left for New Haven, but the thought excited him. He had been missing her like crazy and he had no idea how he was going to get through another two weeks without seeing her.

“Can I see you?” he asked her.

Liz grinned. “I was hoping you’d ask that,” she admitted.

On his end, Max was also smiling. “I’ll be there tomorrow afternoon. I’ll call you when I get there,” he told her.

“I’ll look forward to it,” Liz said. Liz looked towards the boarding gate then, the line was gone and she knew she had to board or she would miss her flight. “Max I’ve got to board my flight so I’ll talk to you tomorrow,” she told him quickly.

“Ok,” he replied. “Tomorrow and Liz?”

“Yeah?”

“I love you,” he whispered.

“Love you too,” Liz replied quickly before snapping her phone shut and handing her ticket over.

“Enjoy your flight to Roswell Mam,” the flight attendant smiled.

“Thank you,” Liz smiled back, normally she hated to fly but all of a sudden, excitement was the only thing Liz felt.

“So I thought we could see what the others are doing tomorrow night and all go out somewhere nice for dinner and then maybe bowling or a movie…” Tess suggested as she sat across from Max at the dinner table. It only took her a few minutes to realise though that he wasn’t listening to her though, he was distracted as usual.

“Max?” she yelled.

“What?” Max frowned. “You don’t have to yell you know,” he added.

“I wouldn’t have to if you would listen to me,” Tess replied.

“I’m sorry but I have other things on my mind,” Max replied.

“Yeah I’m getting used to that. Everything else is on your mind except me,” she snapped at him.

“Well I’m sorry if the world doesn’t revolve around you Tess,” Max replied as he stood up and walked his half eaten plate to the kitchen.

“I don’t expect it to but I do expect my boyfriend to at least listen to me when I’m talking to him. You spend half your time in New Haven lately and when you are here you always seem like you’re somewhere else,” she pointed out.

Max closed his eyes as he leant against the sink and listened to Tess’s words. He’d been hearing the same thing from her for weeks now; he was also hearing it from his sister. He knew what Tess wanted from him, he knew what his sister wanted from him, and he thought he had a pretty good idea now what Liz wanted from him, although she hadn’t said it, now he just needed to work out what he wanted.

“I just have a lot going on, a lot of my mind,” he spoke up.

Tess walked into the kitchen. “I know that, I understand it. I’m just asking you that when you’re here at home with me that you actually be here with me,” she told him gently.

Max nodded, “That’s fair enough,” he whispered.

He had been tripping out on her for weeks. “I’ll try to be more attentive from now on,” he added.

“Thank you,” Tess smiled.

“So what were you saying?” he asked then.

“I thought it would be nice if we called the others and organised dinner and something for tomorrow night,” Tess smiled.

She thought they could all do with some time out. Isabel was stressed about something, Maria was stressed about her music and Max was stressed about work.

Max frowned. “Oh actually I was going to go home and visit my parents tomorrow,” he told her.

“When did you decide this?” she asked.

“This afternoon. I haven’t seen them in a month or so and my mum misses me,” he shrugged.

“But you’ll be home tomorrow night though?” she asked.

“Maybe. I didn’t really want to have to rush home,” he told her. “Why don’t you organise to go out with the girls instead? I’m sure that Michael probably has to work tomorrow night anyway.”

Tess frowned and was about to suggest that she go with him instead. “I mean we’re going to be spending next week together in New Haven anyway,” he told her.

“True,” she agreed. “Ok. I’ll ring Maria and Isabel and see what they’re up to.”

Stepping forward Max wrapped his arms around her and kissed her forehead. “Thanks for being understanding,” he whispered before he quickly slipped away from her as quickly as he had come.

Liz loved the feel of her old bed. Her room was always the exact way she left it when she came home, except for the obvious signs that her mother would come through and clean the dust.

What Liz loved most about being home in Roswell was getting up the morning after arriving and going downstairs to the still closed Crashdown in her pyjamas.

“Morning Lizzie,” her father greeted her as she slipped on to a stool on the counter next to her mother.

Nancy Parker was already dressed and drinking coffee and Jeff Parker was behind the grill.

“Morning” she replied.

“What would you like for breakfast honey?” her mother asked her.

“The usual,” Liz smiled.

“Good because your father already started cooking,” Nancy laughed.

Liz looked around and smiled. The Crashdown had been given a mini face lift recently. It had been re-painted and the horrible orange was finally gone, replaced with a vibrant green.

“I looks good,” Liz commented.

Nancy and Jeff immediately knew what she was talking about. “Yeah we’re happy with it,” Jeff told her.

“I really missed this place,” Liz said then.

Jeff smiled at his only daughter. “We really missed you too,” he told her.

The Parker family shared a quiet breakfast before Liz returned upstairs to change and Jeff and Nancy opened the restaurant. When Liz returned downstairs an hour later, the place was packed. There weren’t too many familiar faces any longer but Liz knew a few and she greeted and smiled at them.

“What are your plans for today?” Nancy asked.

“I think I’ll go for a walk,” Liz told her.

“Ok sweetie, we’ll see you later.”

Liz, equipped with her phone, set out on the main street of Roswell after that and soon after found herself standing out the front of West Roswell High. The place held a million of happy and sad memories for Liz but she found herself smiling today.

“You’re too old for high school young lady,” a voice startled her from behind.

Liz grinned when she turned around and came face to face with Kyle Valenti.

“Kyle!” she smile and hugged him warmly. “It’s so good to see you,” she told him.

“You too Parker, you too,” he grinned.

“What are you doing here on the weekend?” she asked him.

“I was just catching up on some work. What’s your excuse?” he asked.

“Just taking a walk,” she shrugged.

“Nervous about seeing Alex?” he guessed.

“He told you?” Liz asked surprised.

“Yeah we keep in contact,” he nodded.

“Good,” Liz nodded. “I am a little nervous but it will be ok. I mean its Alex,” Liz shrugged.

“True, just remember that ok?” Kyle smiled.

“You look good Kyle,” Liz told him then. He looked fit and happy.

“So do you,” Kyle said, “but you always did and that was never really the problem between us was it?” he winked at her.

Liz laughed. “No you’re probably right about that, and I wasn’t suggesting anything by the comment either by the way.”

Kyle flung an arm around Liz then, “Sure you weren’t Parker, but this time I’ll let it slide.”

“Ok Kyle,” Liz rolled her eyes.

“Let me take you for a coffee,” he said then.

“I’d love that,” Liz agreed and followed him towards his waiting car.
Emz80m
Roswell Fanatic

Post by Emz80m »

Thanks everyone :D

Twenty- Four

It felt surreal to be standing where he was. Over the years of high school, Max had had many dreams and fantasies about climbing the ladder that led to Liz Parker’s balcony. He had never gotten the chance though. He knew that was his own fault. He was sure Liz would have welcomed him but he had been too scared, hell he still felt scared. He was scared of the feelings that the small slip of a woman waiting at the top for him made him feel.

“Liz?” he called out.

Sitting on her lawn chair Liz had been writing in her journal when she heard her name.

A few seconds later, her head popped over the side of the balcony and she smiled when she looked down on Max.

“Hey,” she replied.

“Hey,” he grinned. “Can I come up?”

“Sure,” she agreed.

Max made quick word of the ladder and soon was standing across from Liz.

“Impressive,” she smiled. “I’m surprised it’s still safe to climb actually,” she added.

Max chuckled, “You could have told me that before you let me risk my life.”

Liz stepped forward and flung her arms around his neck and brought her body against his closely, “Was it not worth it?” she flirted.

Leaning down Max kissed her gently but passionately. “It was worth it,” he whispered.

Max had arrived in Roswell just before lunch. He had made it a point to visit with his parents and have lunch with them before telling them that he was off to meet up with a friend.

Dianne Evans had immediately sensed that something was up with her son though, and Max knew right away that his mother was on the verge of asking questions so he fled before she had gotten the chance. He didn’t want to lie to his mother but at the same time he knew he couldn’t tell her about Liz because there was no way she would ever approve.

“How are your parents?” Liz asked.

“They’re ok; I had a hard time getting away from my mum though. She misses us.”

“Yeah I can understand that.” Liz nodded, knowing that her parents felt the same way.

“So what are we going to do?” Liz asked him then assuming he had come up with a plan for them to spend some time together.

“Well my parents are home and so are yours…” Max sighed.

“Yeah and lets face it we can’t go to the movies or a restaurant because we’re bound to run into someone we know,” Liz added.

An idea popped in Max’s head then, “I know the perfect place,” he grinned. “We just need a few supplies that I’m sure we can get from your room and the Crashdown,” he added.

“Ok,” Liz agreed confused.

Five minutes later Liz was downstairs waiting on an order for them both for the Crashdown and Max was waiting in his 4WD with a blanket and a dooner off Liz’s bed.

“Did you find everything?” Liz asked as she got in the car next to him and looked into the back seat.

“Yep,” Max grinned.

It took about fifteen minutes for them to reach the desert out near Pullman Ranch.

Liz’s mouth opened in shock as they got closer to the cave. “Are we going where I think we are?” she asked.

“Yeah,” Max nodded. He had always wanted to take Liz to show her where he was born and the granolith but he had never done it.

“I always wanted to see this place,” she admitted.

“I always wanted to show you,” he admitted.

“Why didn’t you then?” Liz asked looking at him seriously.

“Because I knew it wasn’t fair to you to only include you in parts of my life when I wanted to,” he replied. “I know you’ll never agree with what I did but I truly believe that it wasn’t safe for you to be with me back then,” he added.

Liz had come to terms with Max’s reasoning months ago and had forgiven him for the hurt he had caused her.

When they pulled up Max helped Liz out before grabbing all the stuff from the back seat. They set up on one of the rocks near the door before Max gave Liz a tour. Liz was awed at the things she saw.

“Serena will die when I tell her what I’ve seen,” she smiled at him as her hand continued to graze the granolith.

Max chuckled, “I’m sure it will but don’t go giving her any ideas about seeing this place. It’s bad enough that the other don’t know that she knows about us. If they find out she’s seen the granolith…”

“Yeah I know,” Liz replied.

“Come on, let’s go eat.” Max suggested then, grabbing Liz’s hand and leading her back out to the dooner.

After eating, they snuggled together and watched as the sun set out in the desert.

“It’s so beautiful out here,” Liz whispered.

“Yeah it is,” Max agreed.

“I think I’d like to get married out here on sunset one day,” she said then.

Max looked down at her surprised. “Really?”

“Yeah,” she nodded.

Max took his time that night making love to Liz slowly, savouring every taste and touch of her body and memorising it so that he wouldn’t forget.

When they came down from their high, their connection dimming, Liz was gasping for breath. The connection had been stronger than normal, different. It almost felt like they were one person.

“That was intense,” Liz told him.

“Yeah,” he agreed.

“Do you think that we’re the only one’s that share this connection thing?” Liz asked unexpectedly as they redressed preparing to drive back into Roswell. Max was planning on spending the night at his parents and driving back to Las Cruses the next morning.

“I have no idea to tell you the truth. Michael’s never mentioned it and I don’t exactly ask Isabel about her sex life,” he replied.

“That’s understandable,” she agreed. “What about Tess?” she asked then.

“Um no, no connection,” he replied.

Liz immediately wondered what it meant. “It must mean something then,” Liz told him. “There has to be some reason that we’re the only two people in the world that share this connection.”

Max knew she was right and he suspected that she already knew the answer to her own question but was putting it out there for him to think about. If only Liz knew how much thought he had already put into it.

Kyle didn’t know what had possessed him to show up at the Crashdown that night. He knew it was unlikely that Liz would be there but all the same, he found himself at a loose end so here he was.

As he suspected, Liz was nowhere in sight so he ordered a piece of Men in Blackberry Pie to go. As he stepped out of the restaurant, his eyes were drawn to the 4WD which was pulling into the alley next to the Crashdown. He watched as it pulled up right next to the ladder leading up to Liz’s balcony, and a few seconds later both Liz Parker and Max Evans got out.

Liz used the front door to enter the apartment oblivious to Kyle standing in the shadows and watching her, and Max used the ladder.

Kyle shook his head in disappointment. What was Liz doing? Surely, she had to know that Max was involved with Tess Harding.

Kyle made a decision then, he was going to wait and have it out with Evans there and then. He took a seat in the shadows of the alley and ate his pie as he waited for Max to re-emerge from Liz’s apartment.

Isabel frowned as she placed the phone down.

“What’s wrong?” Alex asked worried when he saw the look.

“Tess told me that Max went home to see Mum and Dad for the night,” she told him.

“Ok,” Alex nodded not seeing what the problem was.

“I just rang Mum and she said he’s been gone all afternoon, apparently he was catching up with a friend.”

It didn’t take long for Alex to put two and two together. Max was in Roswell to see Liz. He wondered how long it would take for Isabel to come to the same conclusion.

“I’m sure he’s just doing something with the alien stuff and didn’t want to tell your mum,” Alex shrugged.

“Maybe,” Isabel frowned.

Alex watched as she picked up the phone and started dialling again and he wondered how Max was going to talk himself out of this one.

Max ignored his phone as it vibrated in his pocket. He knew it would just be Tess or his mother wondering where he was.

“You should go,” Liz whispered in between kisses. They had been on her balcony, sitting in her new lounge chair, talking and kissing since they returned from the desert.

“I don’t want to leave you,” Max whispered.

“I don’t want you to either,” Liz replied.

“Can I come back?” Max surprised her then by asking.

“What? How?” she asked.

“I’ll put in an appearance at home, tell mum and dad I’m tired and then slip out the window,” he grinned.

“How old are we again?” Liz giggled.

“I know but I want to sleep with you in my arms,” he whispered.

“Ok, I’ll lock my door and leave the window ajar for you,” Liz quickly agreed.

With a final kiss Max jumped up, “Ok. I’ll see you soon,” he told her.

“I’ll be waiting,” Liz smiled.

Max climbed down the ladder with the same ease that he came up it.

Kyle was getting ready to give up when he caught sight of Max. He waited until he got into the 4WD and began reversing it out before stepping out of the shadows and making his presence known.

Max slammed on the breaks when he caught sight of the person come out of the shadows.

“Shit Kyle. What the hell are you doing?” he cursed as he wound down the window.

“I should ask you the same question Evans,” he scowled.

Instantly Max knew that Kyle knew everything, and that wasn’t a good thing.

“Last I heard you were with Tess so mind telling me what you’re doing with Liz?” he asked.

“That’s none of your business,” Max snapped.

“That’s cool,” Kyle shrugged. “I’ll just ask Tess.”

“Look Kyle…”

“Don’t Evans. I know that Liz lives in New Haven and that the two of you work for the same company. I was hoping that that was all there was to it but now I’m not so sure…”

“Kyle...”

“Tess loves you man, she hates all this travelling you’re doing. I can’t believe you’re doing this to her,” he yelled at him.

“When were you talking to Tess?” he asked.

Kyle laughed then, “So she didn’t tell you about the lunches and dinners then?” he asked. “Well I guess you’re not the only one keeping secrets then Evans, only difference is that Tess and I are platonic. I bet you can’t say the same thing.”

“Look Kyle just stay out of it,” Max told him. He didn’t need someone he barely knew butting into his life.

“No, I won’t. So I suggest that you fix this situation Max or I’ll have to involve myself more fully,” he warned him.

“You don’t know anything,” Max told him.

“I know enough that I can bring your happy little life down around you,” Kyle replied.

Max scowled. “Tell Tess or I will Evans,” Kyle told him one more time before he walked out of the alley.

When Max got back to his parents place he sat down and had a cup of coffee with them.

“Did you have a nice night?” Dianne Evans asked.

“Yeah it was good,” Max nodded. He knew that both parents were probably wondering where he had been, and who he had been with but thankfully they weren’t giving him the third degree.

“I’m actually tired though so I think I might grab a shower, give Tess a call and hit the sack,” he told them as he stood up.

“Ok sweetie,” Dianne smiled. “We’re going to bed too.”

After a quick kiss, Max made his way to his old bedroom. Once inside he flicked open his phone and checked his message. He saw that both Tess and Isabel had called and he frowned.

He was too preoccupied with his encounter with Kyle to call Tess. Had Kyle been goading him when he told him that he had been having dinner and lunches with Tess? Max suspected he wasn’t. He knew that Tess hadn’t been very happy with him lately so it was surprising that she was choosing to keep her relationship with Kyle a secret. Max knew though that there wasn’t anything going on. Unlike him, Tess respected him too much to have an affair behind his back.

Pulling his clothes off Max climbed into the shower, his thought immediately returned to the predicament he found himself in. He knew there was no option. He either had to tell Tess everything or risk her hearing it from Kyle. Either way he would break her heart, which he hated, but he knew which scenario would be worse.

Max promised himself then that he would tell Tess everything as soon as they got back from New Haven. He wasn’t sure what would happen after that; it was too far ahead to think about.

After standing under the hot spray for a good ten minutes Max got out and dressed in a loose pair of sweats and a shirt he had brought to sleep in. He knew it would be enough clothing to slip out the window and over to Liz’s.
Emz80m
Roswell Fanatic

Post by Emz80m »

Sorry I'm running a bit late guys

I hope you enjoy :D

Twenty – Five

Liz was nervous as she sat in the booth at the Crashdown and waited. She had agreed to meet Alex there for lunch on Sunday. She thought it would be best to be in a familiar place but close enough to home that if things didn’t go the way she wanted she could flee to her upstairs apartment.

It had helped spending the night with Max the previous night. He had calmed her nerves and fears as he held her closely reminding her that it was Alex and that despite the things that had come between them in the past that he was still the same person, and so was she.

Liz had hated watching him slip out of her arms in the early hours of the morning. She knew that he would be on his way back to Las Cruses, if he wasn’t already there, where he would be packing and planning for his trip to New Haven with Tess.

That’s the part that Liz hated the most. She so desperately wanted to tell him how she truly felt but something just kept holding her back.

Liz was drawn from her thoughts when the door opened and the bell above it jingled.

Alex spotted her the minute he stepped up to the glass doors. His eyes drank her in as he walked inside and she stood to greet him. In that second it felt like an eternity to him since he had seen her. Liz was no longer the 17 years old teenager he remembered, she was now a beautiful women and he knew that he was going to love every second he spent getting to know her all over again.

Liz felt awkward under his gaze. Alex was exactly as she remembered, just a little older in the face but she had seen photo’s through Max so she knew what to expect.

“Hi Alex,” she finally broke the ice when he had made the last few steps towards her.

“Liz…” he replied.

His arms came around her so quickly that Liz didn’t have time to respond. “It’s so good to see you,” he whispered. “So good,” he added.

“You too,” Liz smiled when he finally pulled back.

“God you’ve changed,” he said then.

Liz laughed. “People do that Alex,” she told him.

“I know but I guess I had just continued to picture you as this seventeen year old.”

Liz laughed again. “Well some of us still look like we did when we were seventeen,” she teased.

And just like that, the tension was gone. They settled into the booth after that and spent the next hour talking about everything that had been going on in their lives. Alex showed her pictures of his wedding to Isabel and Liz showed him a picture of Serena. They stayed away from the topics that they knew would hurt for as long as they could but eventually they both knew that there were things to be said.

“Can you ever forgive me?” Alex asked quietly. It was so quiet that for a second Liz almost wasn’t sure she had heard him.

But she did. She looked up at him startled. “Alex…”

“No, let me say this Liz,” he pleaded. “I want us to be friends again, friends like we used to and we can’t if there is all this stuff from the past between us that we haven’t move forward from. I know I’ve said it already in emails and on the phone but I want to say it to your face, to tell you how every day I missed my best friend, the one who knew me better than anything. That I cried at my wedding because I had been too proud to call you and ask you to be there on the most important day of my life. To tell you that I will do whatever it takes to fix things between us and for you to know how truly sorry I am for cutting you out of my life.”

Liz felt tears spring to her eyes at his words and in a quick moment, they were flowing down her face.

“Thank you,” she told him. “I missed you too Alex, and I want us to be great friends again too but I don’t think we’ll ever be the Alex and Liz we used to be. Too much time has passed, too many things have happened,” she admitted. “But I would like to start again, for this Liz and Alex to be great friends.”

Alex smiled at her words. He regretted that they could never be the friends they once were but he understood what Liz was telling him. She could forgive him if they could move past it but they couldn’t make it go away.

“I’ll take whatever I can get,” he smiled as her.

And so the friendship was reborn. They both suspected it would take time and considerable work but they were both willing to commit to it. One day Liz knew that she would be standing out in the dessert ready to marry a man that she intended to love for the rest of her life and that Alex Whitman would be there. She hoped that man would be Max but Liz knew that she couldn’t count on anything. Her relationship with Max was still unpredictable.

Tess was nervous and excited all at the same time on the flight to New Haven.

She had ended up spending the night before alone whilst Max was in Roswell. Isabel had dinner reservations with Alex and Maria had been acting peculiar lately. Tess suspected it was about the demo she had made of her music. So she had used the night to pack her things and she did some research on New Haven to see if there were any particular landmarks or sites that she should see.

Nothing had grabbed her attention though, which is why Tess was nervous about the trip. She suspected she would hate it and she didn’t know if her relationship with Max would survive that. At the same time, she was excited to be sharing the trip with Max, to get an insight into this other world he lived in.

“You ok?” Max asked noticing her nervousness.

“Yeah I’m just excited,” she told him and grabbed on to his arm that was resting on the armrest next to her. “I just hope I like,” it she added with a smile.

“Yeah,” Max agreed with a tight smile, wondering if Tess would be doing him a favour if she turned out to hate New Haven.

“What do you normally do to pass the flight?” she asked then.

“Sleep,” Max told her.

“Oh,” she frowned knowing she was too keyed up to even think about sleeping.

Max was hoping she would go to sleep so that he didn’t have to talk to her. He couldn’t look her in the face since his run in with Kyle. He kept wondering what else she was hiding from him, and is this how she felt when she looked at him? Did she know that he was keeping secrets from her?

Max wondered for the millionth time in the last 3 months how he managed to get himself into all this trouble. Why had he thought trying to juggle two women was a good idea? And why the hell couldn’t he just be a man and make a decision and choose one of them already? He had been doing this for five months now and he knew where his heart lay, he just needed his head to catch up.

Tess noticed that Max’s thoughts were somewhere else and she sighed in frustration. The whole purpose of the trip was to try to get their relationship back on track but that would be impossible if Max continued to remain closed off to her.

“So will we be staying at your usual hotel?” she asked him.

“Oh yeah I guess so,” Max shrugged. He assumed that the standing reservation was still in place.

“Is it nice?” she asked.

“Yeah, it’s ok,” he nodded. He couldn’t tell her that he had hardly been spending any time there recently. He would check in but that was mainly all for show.

“So do you have some fun things planned for us to do?” she asked.

Max looked at her and frowned. “I have to work remember? This isn’t a holiday for me.”

“I know but I thought you’d have picked some of your favourite places to show me,” she tried to smile.

“We’ll see how much time I get,” he shrugged. The truth was he knew he couldn’t take Tess to his favourite place in New Haven. It was Liz’s apartment, and even worse, she wouldn’t be there.

Tess didn’t need to be in New Haven long to work out that all her thoughts and fears were becoming a reality.

Tess hated New Haven.

She couldn’t imagine ever living and being happy there and worst all she suspected that things with her and Max wouldn’t improve if they moved here either. Max seemed to have his own life in New Haven and it was becoming increasingly apparent that she was in his way by being here.

For two days she had tried to find something about the place she liked, and apart from the shopping, she was coming up short.

“How was your day?” Max asked her when he got back to the hotel.

“Ok,” she shrugged. “How about you?”

“Great,” he grinned. “What do you want to do for diner?” he asked.

“I thought I was going to meet some of the people you worked with?” she frowned.

“Oh did you still want to do that?” Max asked. He had been trying to avoid introducing Tess to anyone afraid that they would mention Liz.

“Yes of course.”

“Ok, well I’ll see what I can organise but it might be hard at this late notice,” he warned her.

“That’s ok.”

When Tess left to grab a shower, Max dialled Serena’s number.

“Hey,” she greeted him.

“Hey. I need a big favour.”

“What?” Serena asked.

“Tess wants to meet some of the people I work with and since…”

“No. Absolutely not Max. I can’t sit across from her knowing what I know,” she instantly replied.

“Please Serena I’m desperate. She’s expecting to meet the people I hang out with here,” he told her.

Serena was torn. It felt like she would be betraying Liz if she went to dinner with Max and Tess but at the same time she was curious to meet the woman who Max felt he couldn’t leave, and that he owed something too.

“Please Serena,” he added again.

“Alright,” she finally agreed. “But you’re paying for my dinner and you have to tell Liz.”

Max grinned, “Deal.”

“Ok where and when?” she asked.

“How about that little café you and Liz love, at sever thirty,” he suggested.

“Ok I’ll see you there,” she told him before she hung up the phone.

When Tess remerged from the shower, Max told her about their dinner plans.

“Whose coming?” she asked intrigued.

“Actually only Serena was available at such short notice.”

“Who’s Serena?” she asked.

“Well she’ll be my new boss when the promotions at work all go through.”

“Oh okay,” she said, wondering why Max had never mentioned her before.

“What’s happening to the one you’ve got?”

“Being promoted to head of the department,” he replied.

An hour later Max and Tess were being seated at the café. Max had rung ahead and booked a table knowing from experience that it was a popular spot.

“This is nice,” Tess said. “Do come here often?” she wondered.

“Yeah I guess,” Max shrugged.

“With Serena?” she asked.

“Yeah sometimes, and some of the others from work,” he added.

Tess looked up when she botted the gorgeous women heading their way. Her eyes widened when it was obvious she was walking towards their table. This couldn’t possibly be Serena could it?

Max stood as she reached their table.

“Hey,” he grinned at her.

“Hey,” she replied and hugged Max eagerly.

“Serena this is Tess, Tess this is Serena,” Max introduced when they had pulled back from the hug.

Tess’s eyes narrowed as she took in the other woman’s appearance. Who the hell did she think she was to hug her man?

“Hi,” Tess replied.

“Hi Tess, it’s nice to meet you. Max has mentioned you a few times,” she added.

“Oh that’s nice, it’s a shame he’s never mentioned you before,” she replied.

“Tess!” Max exclaimed at her hostile tone.

“What? You haven’t mentioned her. You barely talk about anyone from New Haven,” Tess replied.

Serena raised her eyebrows at Max. “Well that’s a surprise. We love Max here. He’s great at what he does and I can’t wait until he’s working for me. You must have been happy to hear about his promotion.”

Tess looked at Max, “What promotion?” she asked.

Max shot Serena a glare letting her know that he saw through her act. “Um it’s nothing much. They’ve just offered me Serena’s job when she moves up to Team leader that’s all.”

“It’s a massive compliment given how long he’s been working in New Haven,” Serena pointed out.

“Yeah,” Tess smiled tightly. “You should have told me,” she added.

Dinner was an awkward affair from then on. Tess continue to eye Serena suspiciously, positive that she was after Max and even trying to find signs that there was something going on with the two. Serena continued to goad both Max and Tess with smart comments. She had instantly disliked Tess on sight and her instincts had been dead on. She planned to have a chat to Max the next day about getting rid of the bitchy blonde. Tess definitely didn’t suit him. Max tried to be the peacemaker. He tried to include Tess in his conversations with Serena but found it difficult because she had no idea, and no interest, in what they were talking about. By the time dinner came to an end Max was relieved.

He bid Serena goodbye and made sure she got her car before he found a taxi for he and Tess.

Tess was quite the entire ride home and Max knew it wasn’t a good silence.

“So what do you think of New Haven?” he asked her as they entered the hotel room.

Tess placed her bag down and removed her coat. “Honestly?” she asked.

“Yeah,” Max shrugged.

Tess knew what he wanted to hear but she just didn’t think that she could get the words out.

“It’s not really me,” she finally replied honestly. “I also had a look at the wanted ads and there aren’t very many jobs for nurses going either,” she added.

“Oh,” Max frowned.

She moved towards Max then and wrapped her arms around his waist. “It’s ok. We’ll work it out,” she told him.

“Right,” Max replied tightly.
Emz80m
Roswell Fanatic

Post by Emz80m »

Thanks everyone

orphyfets
BehrObsession
begonia9508
VeronicB
Natalie36
Stars at Night10
L-J-L 76
Addicted2AmberEyes
Thumbelina

Twenty-Six

Isabel had waited patiently for her husband to return from his visit to Liz. She had decided not to go with him knowing that he really needed the time with Liz alone. But she was anxious to see him and to hear about how his meeting with Liz had gone.

She stood up from the couch when she heard the front door open.

“Alex?” she called out.

“Yeah it’s me,” he replied as he walked out of the shadows and into the room.

He wore a grin that almost lit up the room and Isabel felt her heart soar. If Alex was grinning, it meant that he was happy. Isabel was glad that things had gone well with Liz; she wanted to tell him her news when he was happy, not sad.

“So how did it go?” she asked grabbing his hand and pulling him down next to her on the couch.

“Oh God Izzy, you should see her,” he sighed. “She looks so different.”

“Well it’s been seven years,” Isabel pointed out. She wasn’t surprised that Liz had changed a lot.

“I know but I still had the image of a seventeen year old Liz in my mind and when I saw her she blew me away. She’s this woman now and she has a successful career that she loves, she owns her own place.”

Isabel grinned. “So you two bonded by the sounds of it?”

“Oh definetely. She’s forgives me and she wants us to try and be good friends again,” he replied. “I know it can’t be the way it used to be but that’s ok because we can build something just as good,” he added.

“Oh Alex, I’m so happy for you,” she told him. Isabel didn’t know what she would have done if things hadn’t gone well. She might have been tempted to hightail it to Roswell and kick Liz’s ass.

“Me too,” he grinned.

“I’ll have to come with you next time,” she said then. “If you and Liz are going to be good friends again then I need to know the new Liz too.”

“I’d love that,” he smiled. “Now enough about me. How are you?” he asked.

Isabel grinned brighter. “Actually I have something to tell you,” she told him.

“Ok,” he nodded.

“I, we’re pregnant Alex,” she whispered.

Alex’s eyes widened. They had been trying for a few months but so far, they hadn’t had any luck.

“Are you sure?” he asked awed.

“Pretty sure,” she laughed; “I can feel a connection,” she giggled. “So if it isn’t a baby then I have butterflies in my stomach.”

Alex crushed her against him then. “I’m so happy,” he told her.

“Me too,” she grinned.

A thought occurred to Alex then, and he pulled back and looked at Isabel. “You do realise what this means don’t you?” he said then.

Isabel’s brow furrowed as she tried to think about what he was talking about. “Um no, what?”

“We’re going to be the first parents of an alien baby,” he said wide eyed.

Isabel giggled then, “Oh Alex.”

Alex grinned at her, happy that he had once again been able to make her smile.

“I love you,” he told her.

“I love you too Alex,” Isabel replied.

“So you met her?” Liz asked Serena.

Liz had gotten home on the Wednesday Max and Tess had flown out, only barely missing them. She was glad to be home but she was missing Max like crazy.

“Yep,” Serena replied.

Now Liz was catching up with Serena. After telling her about her week in Roswell and her meeting with Alex, Serena was now filling her in on her dinner with Tess and Max.

“Did they look happy?” Liz asked sadly. She didn’t really want the answer but something made her ask the question anyway.

“Not at all,” Serena replied. “And I’m not just saying that because you’re my best friend. Max hasn’t even told her about the promotion.”

“Really?” Liz asked shocked.

If Max hadn’t discussed it with Tess did that mean he was not going to take it? Or did it just mean that he didn’t think she had a say in his decision because he wasn’t bringing her with him?

“Yep. I put my foot in it. Actually, she didn’t seem to like me very much. I think she might think there is something going on with me and Max,” she grinned.

Liz laughed, “What did you do to make her think that?” she asked.

“Nothing,” Serena denied. “Max is to blame, he’s hot and so am I, so she just assumed,” Serena laughed.

Liz rolled her eyes, “Ok.”

“For the record I don’t like her,” Serena sad then.

“Thank you but you don’t have to not like her because of me,” Liz replied.

“Actually I just disliked her on sight. She’s sour and fake with that peroxide hair and perky tits,” Serena replied. “She’s your exact opposite except her height. I have no idea what he see’s in her, they have nothing in common either.”

“Well he obviously likes something about her a lot,” Liz pointed out. “Because I don’t think he’s ever going to leave her,” she added sadly.

“Oh Liz…”

Isabel smiled when the door opened and Max stood on the other side.

“Hey Iz,” he greeted her with a hug.

Isabel had called him that morning and asked if he could drop by for lunch with her that day. It was unusual for her to not want to go out for lunch so Max was slightly nervous about what she was going to say once she had his attention.

“Hey,” she smiled back. “Come into the kitchen I made toasted sandwiches,” she told him.

Max eyed her as she moved around the kitchen getting him lunch and a drink before joining him at the table.

“So what’s up?” he asked.

“Can’t I just have lunch with my brother?” Isabel replied.

“Of course but usually you want to talk to me about something,” Max said.

Isabel blushed, “Well your right in this case.”

Max finished of his sandwich and gave Isabel his full attention. “It was actually Alex’s idea for me to ask you,” she started.

“Ok.”

“Can you connect with me and confirm if I’m pregnant?” she asked.

Max was shocked and for a second he was lost for words. “Oh my God Isabel,” he whispered in awe and then a big smile covered his face.

Isabel felt tears come to her eyes. “So will you?” she asked.

“Of course,” he nodded eagerly.

A few seconds later Max was connecting with Isabel, his hand sitting low on her abdomen.

“So?” Isabel asked when Max came out of the connection and looked up at her.

Max grinned, “Congrats big sister, in several months you’re going to be a mother.” he told her. He didn’t add that he knew the sex of her baby already; he thought he would let her find out on her own, or wait to ask.

Isabel squealed and Max quickly hugged her, “You’ll be a great mother,” he whispered.

“Thank you,” Isabel said. “I’ve got to ring Alex,” she announced then and quickly made her way to the phone.

Max finished up his drink whilst she excitedly talked to Alex for a few minutes.

“Alex is ecstatic and he said to say thank you.”

“It’s a pleasure, and I won’t say anything to anyone until you guys do,” he replied.

“Thanks,” Isabel smiled. “Now tell me how the trip to New Haven went?” he asked then.

Max groaned, “Do I have to?” he asked.

“That bad?” she guessed.

“Tess hates it,” he shrugged, “but she had already made up her mind before we stepped foot in the place. I’m not sure what she expected, it was like she thought we were on some holiday, she knew all along that I had to work,” he continued and Isabel could tell right away that he was less than impressed with Tess and their recent trip.

Isabel sighed, “What are you going to do?” she asked.

“I don’t know what to do about anything anymore,” Max replied miserably.

“Max, I think you really need to ask yourself whether your job in New Haven is worth your relationship with Tess, because the way things are going you may very well have to choose.” she pointed out.

“I know,” he nodded.

“You and Tess have been together a long time and maybe this job thing isn’t so much about the job but more about your relationship with Tess?”

Max frowned, “What do you mean?”

“Well its no news to you that Tess wants marriage and children with you and maybe you’re just not ready for that so your using your job as an excuse to put some distance in your relationship,” she explained.

“Or maybe I’m blaming my job for all my unhappiness when really I’m unhappy in my relationship?” Max voiced.

Isabel was stunned by Max’s words.

“Anyway,” he said looking at his watch. “I better get back,” he smiled. “Congrats Isabel. I’m so happy for you and Alex.”

“Thank you.” Isabel replied, and after a brief hug and kiss from Max, Isabel remained sitting in the kitchen still trying to catch up with Max’s words and quick departure

“So tell us all about New Haven,” Maria said as soon as Tess sat down.

The three girls had gotten together for their usual weekly lunch and Tess had just arrived when Maria had immediately wanted to know all about the trip to New Haven.

Isabel waited patiently for Tess to begin speaking but she already knew the answer to the question. Isabel had spoke to Max the day before and he had pretty much summed up Tess’s opinion with a few words.

“I hate it,” Tess cried. “Oh guys what am I going to do?”

“What is really that bad?” Maria asked surprised.

“There is nothing to do. I don’t know anyone and there isn’t even a lot of jobs for nurses available at the moment,” she replied.

“I’m sure you’d meet people,” Isabel spoke up. “Max has,” she pointed out and Max usually found it the hardest to make friends.

“Yeah well of course he’s having no trouble. Why wouldn’t woman want to throw themselves at him?” Tess replied.

“I’m sorry, I’m confused,” Maria told her.

“The only friend I met was a beautiful woman who made it more than clear that she’s interested in Max. I was starting to wonder if there was something going with them. She wouldn’t keep her hands off him,” Tess replied.

“Max would never do that Tess,” Isabel was quick to defend her brother.

“I hope not,” Tess replied.

“Did you tell Max?” Maria asked.

“I told him it didn’t think it was for me but he didn’t say anything,” she replied.

“Maybe you just have to give it a go. You were only there 3 days. That’s not exactly long enough to decide,” Isabel suggested.

“It was long enough to know that I will feel more excluded from Max’s life in New Haven than I do here. All he does is work there,” Tess replied.

“So what will you do?” Maria asked.

Tess took a deep breath. “Well I guess I’m going to tell him when he asks that I don’t think we should go, and tell him all my reasons why. We both need to be happy, not just Max,” she replied. “Then we’ll have to compromise. Maybe find somewhere we’ll both be happy together,” she told them.

“That sounds like a good idea,” Maria smiled at her.

Isabel remained quiet, she knew she needed to speak to her brother and she needed to do it soon.
Emz80m
Roswell Fanatic

Post by Emz80m »

Twenty-Seven

Max watched his sister and Alex happily, as they stood in front of the gang. He knew that they planned to tell everyone about Isabel’s pregnancy and he was excited for them.

“Guys, Isabel and I have an announcement.” Alex spoke up to get everyone’s attention.

The room went quiet as everyone waited. “Alex and I are having a baby,” Isabel finally announced.

The room was only silent for a second before squeals erupted from Tess and Maria, and soon there was chaos as hugs and congratulations were shared.

“Oh Izzy this is wonderful! I wasn’t sure that we were actually going to be able to have children,” Tess said.

“I know, it’s so good,” Maria agreed.

“Do you know what this means Maria?” Tess said excitedly. “That one day soon, Max and I are going to be able to have a baby together,” she said.

“You have to get married first,” Maria pointed out.

“Of course,” Tess agreed with a grin.

Max, who was talking to Michael and Alex, stiffened when he heard Tess’s words.

Michael chuckled though. “Looks like you’re next Maxwell, better be making that trip to the jewellery store soon.”

Max did his best to smile so that the dread he was feeling didn’t convey. How was he supposed to tell his girlfriend that marriage and children were the last thing on his mind?

Liz groaned as she opened her eyes and looked at the clock. Her alarm was about to go off telling her that she needed to get up so she could drive to the airport to pick Max up, but her head was killing her and the last thing she wanted to do was get up.

A few seconds later though she was left with no choice when her stomach protested and she was forced to run to the bathroom where she was sick.

After five minutes bent over the toilet, she went back to bed, picked up her phone and called Serena.

“Hello,” a sleepy Serena answered.

“Sere it’s me,” she told her.

“This better be good Liz, do you know how early it is?”

“Yeah I do, and it is important. I’m sick and I’m supposed to be picking Max up at the airport in an hour,” she explained.

“You ok?” Serena asked concerned. In the entire time she had know Liz she had never gotten sick except for a cold.

“Yeah just the flu,” Liz replied, “but I can’t get out of bed. Do you think you could get Max for me?”

“Of course,” Serena agreed. “Call me if you need anything.”

“I will, and thank you.”

Once she hung up the phone Liz settled back into the pillows, all thought of Max’s arrival gone, and soon she was fast asleep.

Max was surprised when he saw Serena waiting for him, and if he was honest also slightly alarmed.

Liz had been distant since he had last seen her in Roswell. Their phone calls had been short and he felt like she was pulling away from. Max knew he could hardly blame her. They had been together now for almost six months and both he and Liz knew that sooner or later he was going to have to make a decision about accepting the transfer and promotion in New Haven. It made sense that Liz was trying to protect herself from him.

“Hey Sere,” he greeted. “Where’s Liz?” he asked.

“Actually she’s home in bed.” Serena replied.

“Is she ok?” Max asked quickly.

“I think so, she said it’s just the flu,” Serena answered.

Max frowned, he assumed since he had changed Liz and that she was more like him now that she wouldn’t get sick anymore.

“Does she get sick often?” he asked.

“No not really, just the odd cold.” Serena replied as they started the walk towards her car.

“So where to?” Serena asked. “The hotel, work, or Liz’s place?”

“Liz’s place,” Max replied quickly.

Serena could tell that Max was concerned during the drive to Liz’s place. He didn’t say much, he just stared out at the scenery.

Once they reached the apartment Serena hesitated going inside, instead she stayed in the car.

“Are you coming in?” Max asked her.

“No. I’ll leave you to take care of her. Just call me if you need anything.”

“Ok,” Max nodded.

“Oh and tell Liz not to worry about coming in to work,” Serena called out.

Max let himself into the apartment using his powers, placed his bags down inside the door, and made his way straight to Liz’s bedroom.

Inside Liz was fast asleep, cuddled up in the bed.

Max sat down next to her, pushed her hair out of her face before bending down and kissing her forehead gently.

Liz stirred in her sleep and along with the slight consciousness she felt Max and she slowly opened her eyes.

“Hey,” she whispered.

“Hey sweetheart,” Max replied.

Slowly, Liz began to sit up and was happy to note that her stomach didn’t feel as queasy but she still had a headache.

“How are you feeling?” he asked.

“A little better,” she said. “I’m sorry I wasn’t there to pick you up.”

“Don’t be silly. You need to sleep so I want you to stay in bed all day,” he told her.

“No I have to work,” Liz argued.

“Work will be fine for a day without you,” Max told her.

Liz contemplated what he said and realised he was right. She really didn’t feel like going to word today.

“I missed you,” Max told her then before leaning in and kissing her lips gently.

“You did?” Liz asked surprised. It had been over 2 weeks since they had seen each other, the longest they had gone since starting their relationship. Liz had definitely missed Max but the longer time went on and Max continued to stay with Tess; the more Liz was beginning to doubt his feelings for her.

Max frowned as he wondered why, after all these months, Liz didn’t believe him.

“So much,” he said honestly.

“I missed you too,” she told him.

“Do you feel like some breakfast?” Max asked then.

Liz thought about it, “Maybe some toast and a poached egg?” she asked.

“Of course.” Max grinned. “Lie back down and I’ll bring it in here for you.”

The next day Liz was feeling a bit better and went back to work, but Max still felt troubled by the way she was acting towards him, and he didn’t know how to talk to her about it.

But it was that night when he finally admitted to himself, what the signs had been telling him for the past month; Liz was slipping away from him.

Max sighed as he looked at the distance between he and Liz as they lay in bed. He had been looking forward to his trip back to New Haven for weeks. He missed Liz like crazy and he wanted nothing more than to hold her. He knew that she was sick but it didn’t feel like that was the reason for her being on the other side of the bed to him.

“Liz?”

“Yeah?” she replied, her back to him as they lay in the dark.

If I built a wall
A hundred feet tall,
would that keep you in?

When Max didn’t answer her, Liz turned and found him staring at her.

“What is it?” she asked.

“Am I loosing you?” he whispered painfully.

If I shackled your feet
so you couldn’t leave,
would you try and run?

Liz felt tears instantly fill her eyes and begin rolling down her cheeks.

This was the opening she had been waiting for.

Slowly she nodded. “I-I can’t do this anymore,” she sobbed, immediately feeling somewhat relieved that she had finally found the courage to tell him.

Max started at her, his heart breaking, as he prayed she wasn’t about to say what he thought.

“Can’t do what?” he asked croakily his mouth suddenly dry

If I promise not to fight
At least not tonight
would you stay the night?

“I love you Max,” she whispered. “I love you so much that it hurts sometimes.”

“I love you too,” he quickly assured her and reached out for her hand. Maybe if he held on with all his might then he might not loose her.

“But its not enough for you is it?” she asked him then.

If I wore that little dress,
you like the best
would you pass my test

“Of course it is,” Max replied.

Liz cried harder, “No it’s not enough for you to choose me is it?”

would you stay?
Would you stay with me?

“You want me to choose you?” Max asked dumbly.

Liz nodded. “I know I told you that I would take whatever you could give me, but it’s not enough anymore,” she whispered.

“I want all of you Max Evans, I want you every day and every night, I want you forever. I don’t care if it’s here or in Las Cruses that doesn’t matter to me,” she cried.

“Liz…”

If I poured another drink,
what would you think
about staying in?

“I can’t share you anymore Max,” she interrupted him before he could speak. If she let him talk now she might not get out what she needed to say, and now that she had started, Liz knew that was no longer an option.

“I want to be the only woman you’re in love with, and I have to know that I’m the one you want to be with, the only one,” she added.

If I was sincere
and whispered my fears,
would you still be here?

“So what are you saying?” Max asked. He knew what was coming but he had to hear her say it to truly accept it.

“I’m saying its time to choose, me or Tess, you can’t have us both anymore,” Liz whispered. “And I really want you to choose me,” she whispered.

Would you stay?
Would you stay with me?
Would you stay?
Would you stay with me?

“I, you want me to decide right now?” Max asked.

Liz covered her mouth to hold the sob in. She had given him months to make a decision. If he hadn’t decided in the last six months that she was the one for him then Liz doubted he ever would.

If I built a wall
A hundred feet tall,
would that keep you in?

“Then I guess what I’m saying Max, is that yes, you are loosing me,” Liz whispered. “I love you but I can’t do this with you anymore because it’s killing me slowly.”

Max felt like his world went into slow motion as he processed Liz’s words and before he knew it, she had fled from him, and just as quickly the bed, the room, and lastly the apartment. But what Max feared most was that it could very well be the last time he saw his soul mate again.

Stay – Michelle Featherstone
Emz80m
Roswell Fanatic

Post by Emz80m »

Thanks everyone :D

orphyfets
kj4ever
roswck
Thumbelina
Natalie36
Stars at Night10
begonia9508
Mariael311
isha00
googi
carolina_moon
begonia9508
Michelle in Yonkers
VeronicB
roswell4life
L-J-L 76

Twenty-Eight

Max looked around the airport in Las Cruses and wondered how he had gotten there. The past 24 hours he felt like he was on auto-pilot; his life seemingly falling apart around him. He felt like a train wreck as he walked toward the baggage claim and the worst part was he knew all of it was completely his fault. He had broken Liz’s heart and his own in the process.

Liz had never come back to her apartment. Max had waited. Then he had gone to work expecting to see her, praying that she would talk to him but she had called in sick. Finally, he had tracked her down to Serena’s apartment but she wouldn’t talk to him. According to Serena she was heart broken and wasn’t ready to see him yet.

“Max, you have to give her time,” Serena had pleaded.

Max’s eyes were full of tears, a five o’clock shadow covered his face and it was obvious he hadn’t slept a wink the night before. People at work were already discussing his appearance.

“I need to see her, I have to tell her that I love her and…”

Serena smiled sadly. “She knows you love her Max,” she informed him, “that’s not the problem.”

Serena could tell that Max wasn’t ready to give up. “Max, can you honestly tell me that you don’t understand what she said to you last night?” Serena’s asked.

“She wanted me to make a decision.” Max spoke.

“Yeah she did. Six months Max. You’ve had six months of understanding and space to choose her,” Serena pointed out. “Last night Liz finally put herself on the line and told you that she wanted you to choose her, and you still couldn’t do it.”

“It’s not that easy,” Max argued.

“Yeah Max, it is. You either love Liz enough to end your joke of a relationship with Tess, who you clearly don’t love or you wouldn’t be with Liz in the first place. Or you don’t. It’s simple.” Serena told him.

Max opened his mouth to speak but Serena spoke over him before he got the chance to let his words out.

“So Liz had decided to let you go. It broke her heart and I don’t know if she’ll ever recover but…”

“Can you tell her I love her,” Max interrupted her.

Serena nodded.

“Thank you,” Max said and began to walk away.

“Max?” Serena called out.

Max stopped and turned back to look at Serena. Serena could tell that the last spark in his eyes was now gone, killed by her words.

“Please choose her,” she begged, “because I’m not sure if she’s ever going to recover if you don’t, and I really want my best friend back.”

Serena didn’t wait for him to respond, she quickly walked away before her emotions got the better of her in front of Max.

So Max had gone back to Liz’s apartment, packed his bag and caught a taxi to the airport to get on his regular flight back to Las Cruses.

Liz felt empty as she entered her dark apartment.

It was confirmed. Max had really gone; he had left her to return to Las Cruses, back to his life with Tess.

Liz had thought she had no tears left to cry after the night before but that was quickly proved untrue when her body was once again overtaken with sobs.

I always needed time on my own
I never thought I'd
need you there when I cry
And the days feel like years when I'm alone
And the bed where you lie
is made up on your side

When you walk away
I count the steps that you take
Do you see how much I need you right now?

Liz made her way into her bedroom where her bed was still unmade.

She fell on top of it as she cried, and the first thing she noticed was that it still smelled like him, and that just made her cry harder because all she could think about was that she was never going to smell him ever again.

When you're gone
The pieces of my heart are missing you
When you're gone
The face I came to know is missing too
When you're gone
The words I need to hear to always get me through the day
And make it OK
I miss you

She didn’t hear the phone ring. She simply sobbed harder and harder as she pictured the way he had looked when she had woken up next to him only two mornings before. He had smiled at her, kissed her, and wished her a good morning.

I've never felt this way before
everything that I do
reminds me of you
and the clothes you left
they lie my floor
And they smell just like you
I love the things that you do

The machine picked up the ringing phone and Liz froze when she heard his voice.

“Liz?”

“Liz are you there?” he asked. His voice was husky and Liz suspected that he was crying, which was confirmed a few seconds later when he released a sob.

“Please just pick up and tell me you’re ok. I just need for you to be ok,” he pleaded.

When you walk away
I count the steps that you take
Do you see how much I need you right now?

“I’m so sorry,” Max sobbed.

Liz closed her eyes at his words and sobs. She desperately wanted to pick up the phone but she knew she couldn’t.

“I love you,” he whispered. “Please don’t forget that, please don’t doubt that,” he added.

When you're gone
The pieces of my heart are missing you
When you're gone
The face I came to know is missing too
When you're gone
The words I need to hear to always get me through the day
And make it OK
I miss you

“I love you too,” Liz spoke aloud. She needed to say the words even though she knew he couldn’t hear them.

Liz knew that she wouldn’t give up hope until she had to. That there was still a chance that by setting Max free, that he could come back to her.

We were made for each other
out here forever
I know we were
yeah, yeahhh

All I ever wanted was for you to know
Everything I do I give my heart and soul
I can hardly breathe I need to feel you here with me
Yeah

In Las Cruses, Max sat outside of his apartment in his 4WD, the tears in his eyes not subsiding as he held his cell phone to his ear.

Why was it suddenly so clear to him that he had left his heart behind in New Haven?

When you're gone
the pieces of my heart are missing you
When you're gone
the face I came to know is missing too
When you're gone
the words I need to hear will always get me through the day
and make it OK
I miss you

Liz leaned over the toilet, the last of the small breakfast Serena had made her eat, now gone from her stomach. That morning had made it four mornings in a row that week she had been feeling like death warmed up and all of a sudden, Liz felt her life halt.

She looked down at her stomach and her hand came up to press against it gently.

“Oh God,” she whispered.

Tess was confused when she woke up to an empty bed. Where was Max?

She got up, grabbed a robe and made her way into the living area of the apartment she shared with Max but all she found was the same silence and loneliness she had found in her bedroom seconds before.

Max was obviously gone.

She looked for signs that he had been in the apartment somewhere that morning but the kitchen hadn’t been touched, the curtains were all still closed.

A frown marred the beautiful features of Tess then.

Something was definitely wrong.

The moment Jerry stepped into Max’s office he was instantly alarmed at what he saw.

Max sat at his desk surrounded in paperwork, a normal occurrence, but it was the appearance of him that worried Jerry.

Max looked like he hadn’t slept in days. His face was covered with a five o’clock shadow, and where he usually wore a shirt and tie; today he was wearing an open dress shirt and a pair of jeans.

“Max, is everything ok?” he asked.

Max was startled and looked up. “Hey.”

Max couldn’t remember what time it was that he had gotten to the office that morning, only that it was early.

He couldn’t be in the apartment with Tess, he had been unable to lie in bed with her, and after spending a sleepless night on the couch he had thrown on the first clothes he could find and had fled to the office.

Once there he was almost shattered to find no email waiting from Liz and it had taken every ounce of self-control he had not to try to ring her again knowing that it was far too early for her to be at work anyway.

“You’re here early,” he commented.

“Got a lot to do,” Max shrugged.

Jerry sighed, “You sure you’re ok? You don’t look so good. Maybe you should take the day off,” he suggested.

“No I’m fine.” Max lied.

“Ok then,” Jerry agreed. “Do you have a second?” he asked.

“Sure.” Max nodded.

“I spoke to Eddie yesterday,” Jerry informed him. “He told me about the promotion they offered you.” he smiled.

“Yeah.”

“I hope you’re going to take it Max,” Jerry told him. “You’re far too good to be wasting your talents here,” he added.

“Thank you.”

“No problem.” Jerry replied. “So when you’re ready to finally take that transfer just tell me and I’ll make it happen as quickly as possible. I know that they can’t wait to have you permanently in New Haven.”

Max’s thoughts flashed to Liz again then.

He nodded.

“See you later Max.”

“Bye Jerry.”

Once Jerry was gone all Max could think about where his words.

I know they can’t wait to have you in New Haven permanently

Max knew that it was true. He had a wonderful job waiting for him, and he had a woman who loved him, all of him, the good the bad and lately, the incredibly ugly parts of him.

He picked up the phone again and dialled Liz’s work number. He hung up when the office secretary picked it up. He wondered where she was and before he knew what he was doing, he was dialling Serena’s number.

“Serena speaking,” she answered on the second ring.

“It’s Max.”

The phone was silent for a few seconds. “What’s up Max?” she asked.

“Liz isn’t answering her phone,” he told her.

“I know, that’s because she’s not at work today.” Serena replied.

“Is she ok?” he whispered.

“Actually she’s sick,” Serena informed him.

“What! What’s wrong with her?” he asked alarmed.

“Just the flu.” Serena told him exactly the lie Liz had fed her earlier that morning when she had called in again.

“Are you sure that’s it? Liz doesn’t normally get sick remember. Maybe she should go to the doctors or maybe I should come and check her out…” he rambled.

“Max stop it,” Serena snapped. “If she’s not feeling better I will make her go to the doctors but the last thing she needs is for you to come out here and give her false hope if you’re not planning on staying.”

“But…”

“Not buts Max. I don’t want you to come back to New Haven until you’ve made a decision. You got me?” she told him.

Max nodded. “Ok.”

“Ok, I’ll talk to you later Max.” Serena said before she hung up the phone.
Emz80m
Roswell Fanatic

Post by Emz80m »

Thanks everyone, Enjoy the new part

mezz
begonia9508
Thumbelina
LoveIsForever
futuremrsmcdreamy
bigears
Starts at Night10
Addicted2AmberEyes
Natalie36
Mariael31
carolina_moon
L-J-L 76
orphyfets
VeronicB
BehrObsession
dreamon
Michelle in Yonkers
katydid

Twenty-Nine

It had been three days since he had returned from New Haven. Three long and hellish days. Liz wouldn’t return his calls and Serena wasn’t giving anything away either.

To make matters worse, Tess wouldn’t leave him alone either. She had been waiting for him when he got home from work every day and Max knew that she sensed that there was something very wrong with him.

He did his best to try to concentrate on the food in front of him but he was more than aware of her eyes on him from across the table.

“What happened in New Haven?” she finally asked.

Max looked up at her. “What do you mean?”

“Something happened; don’t tell me that it didn’t. I’ve known you a long time and I’ve never seen you this….”

“Broken?” he answered for her.

Tess nodded. “So something must have happened.”

Max placed his knife and fork down on the plate and slowly rose from his seat. He picked up the plate and began walking it to the kitchen. He had barely touched any of the food on it anyway.

“Max?” she persisted.

“It’s nothing,” he answered. “I don’t want to talk about it,” he added.

“Don’t do this.” Tess demanded. “Don’t shut me out. It’s killing us Max,” she cried out finally having enough of his silence. Tess needed him to understand that she wouldn’t put up with it any longer.

Max remained quiet.

“Why can’t you just be honest with me?” Tess demanded then. She was now out of her seat and standing behind him in the kitchen. Max could tell that she was angry; it was conveyed in her voice.

“Like you’re honest with me?” Max demanded.

Tess was shocked by his words. “What do you mean by that?”

“Oh you honestly didn’t think that I wouldn’t find out about your dinners and lunches with Kyle Valenti?” he scoffed.

“You obviously don’t know Kyle very well then Tess, because he couldn’t wait to rub it in.”

Tess’s mouth opened in surprise.

“What were you trying to make me jealous or something?” he asked.

“No,” Tess snapped. She wouldn’t admit to him that she was extremely hurt that he didn’t appear to be jealous either, just annoyed at her.

“But maybe I was hoping you would know what it felt like to have things kept from you, and to be shut out of a part of my life,” she told him. “Because that’s how you make me feel Max,” she told him.

Max shook his head sadly. He immediately felt guilty about Tess’s words because he knew that she was dead right. He had shut her out and he had opened himself to Liz.

“You’ve changed Max,” Tess told him then.

“I know,” he replied.

He knew he was being a bastard shifting all the blame on to Tess but in that instant he saw his chance to escape from her and before she knew it, he had moved past her, retrieved his wallet and keys, and was headed to the door.

“Where are you going? You can’t just leave,” Tess yelled.

Max opened the door.

“If you walk out that door, so help me God, Max, we’re going to have a problem,” she warned him.

The door was shut and Max was gone before Tess even finished her sentence.

She couldn’t believe he had walked through the door after her warning. Had their relationship really been reduced to so little to him now? She wondered.

Tess stared at the door in shock for what felt like hours, but Max didn’t come back through it. After hours of waiting, she began calling the others but none of them had heard from him either.

Tess began to seriously worry until Isabel called her back.

“He’s in Roswell,” she informed her. “Staying with Mum and Dad but he wouldn’t talk to me.”

“Oh.”

“What happened?” she asked Tess then.

“To tell you the truth I’m not sure,” Tess admitted. How was she supposed to tell Isabel that a small harmless discussion had gotten so out of hand she wasn’t quite sure she had a boyfriend anymore?

Serena continued to knock on the door of Liz’s apartment. She hadn’t seen her in two days, and she was beginning to become seriously concerned about her best friend. Liz hadn’t been coming to work and would only talk to Serena via the telephone.

Eventually she gave up, pulled out he spare key she had to Liz’s apartment for emergencies and slipped inside the apartment. It was dark and quiet but Serena wasn’t deterred and made her way into Liz’s bedroom.

The bed was crumpled but there was so sign of Liz. Serena was almost ready to give up when she heard sounds coming from the bathroom.

Liz was once again hunched over the toilet after being sick again, but this time she was crying.

“Oh my God Liz, are you ok?” Serena asked as she rushed to her side.

Serena helped her to her feet. “How long have you been sick?” she asked. It was unlike Liz to hide things like this from her. Why was Liz getting sick all of a sudden anyway, after years of good health she wondered then?

“All week,” Liz replied croakily.

Serena stared at he friend then, tears were running down her face and she looked awful.

“Liz are you pregnant?” she whispered. It was the only explanation that she could come up with for Liz being so sick all week.

Liz only cried harder at Serena’s words. Her voicing the question only make the reality all that more real to Liz.

“I’m not sure but I think so,” Liz finally replied.

“Oh Liz,” Serena whispered as she helped her back down onto the bed.

“Do you want something?” she asked.

Liz shook her head.

“I’ll get you some crackers and water. You should try to keep something down,” Serena told her.

When Serena returned Liz was still lying in the same position, her tears had settled.

“Here,” Serena offered.

Despite her earlier protests, Liz took the crackers and water and began to nibble and sip on them.

“What are you going to do?” Serena asked eventually.

Liz looked up at her. “I don’t know,” she admitted.

“Have you told Max?” she asked.

Liz shook her head.

“Liz you should tell him,” Serena told her. “He’s so worried about you,” she added. “He’s been calling me every day.”

“I know,” she said. “He calls here too but I just can’t talk to him yet,” she admitted. “I want him to choose me for me Serena and he won’t do that if he finds out I’m pregnant. He’ll come back just because of the baby and I can’t live like that. If Max wants me he knows where I am.”

“Are you sure?” Serena asked not really liking Liz’s plan.

Hesitantly, Liz nodded. “It’s what I want for now.”

“Ok,” Serena agreed.

Max looked up as he heard the familiar sound of a bike coming towards him. It didn’t take long for Michael to pull the bike up next to his 4WD and get off.

“How did you find me?” Max asked his eyes focused on the horizon.

He knew eventually someone would come looking for him.

Michael cast a glance at what he was staring at and then back to him. “Actually I come out here a lot myself, it’s a good place to think,” he said.

The truth was Michael hadn’t gone looking for him exactly, but finding Max was a bonus.

Max looked at Michael surprised, and not quite sure he believed him but when Michael didn’t immediately start questioning him Max realised that Michael wasn’t there to drag him back to fix things with Tess.

“What’s up?” Max asked him.

It was obvious that he had something on his mind.

Michael was silent for a while before he finally began to speak. “Maria’s demo was a hit,” he informed Max.

Max smiled. “That’s great,” he told him. Max was genuinely happy for Maria. He knew it had been her dream for a very long time to be a singer and she deserved to have her dreams come true.

“The record company want her in New York for the next few months to do the album,” he told him then.

“Oh,” Max nodded knowing then what had Michael so troubled.

“Yeah,” Michael agreed.

“What is she going to do?” Max asked.

“She’s going,” Michael confirmed. “She wants me to go with her,” he added on then.

Max studied Michael from his side profile. “You don’t want to go?” he asked.

“It’s not that exactly,” Michael admitted. “I guess I just never really saw myself as living in New York but I know that it’s where Maria needs to be.”

Max nodded.

“I just have this feeling that our relationship is at this cross roads you know?” he said to Max then.

“I can go to New York with Maria but that means I have to break my pack to you and Iz, which I don’t really want to do,” he said. “But I just have this feeling that if I don’t go then I’ll loose Maria. I would like to think our relationship is strong enough to survive the distance but I realise that it’s not so much about the distance as it is being involved in each other’s day to day lives. This has been Maria’s dream for so long you know and she wants to share it with me, and I want that too.”

“You should go.” Max told him.

Michael seemed shocked by Max. “Really?”

Max smiled. “Really Michael. Iz and I will be fine and let’s face it I spend most of my time in New Haven now anyway. We should have realised it a long time ago but it’s just not practical for us to all live in the same city, or even state. I know that you’re the second in command and you think it’s your job to look after us all but there’s no danger, we don’t have anyone after us. There comes a time Michael where we all have to be selfish and put yourself first, that time has come for you and Maria. Don’t loose her, or this chance, over some misplaced sense of duty to me and Isabel.”

“But what about Isabel’s pregnancy?” he asked unconvinced.

“Isabel is fine.” Max assured him. “You can’t use us as an excuse. This is Maria’s dream and she’s put it off for a long time because of us Michael. She deserves this.”

“I know,” he agreed. “I want her to succeed,” he told Max.

“Then go, try New York on for size. We’ll always be here for you.”

Michael contemplated his words for a few moments before nodding. “Thanks.”

“No problem.” Max agreed.

“So what’s going with you?” Michael asked then. “Maria said you and Tess had some blow out over her having lunch and dinner with Valenti?” he added, his tone surprised.

“Leave it to Tess and Maria to make it sound so trivial.” Max chuckled. “Its not about Kyle, it never was.” Max told Michael.

“Ok?”

“I think I’ve been using my unhappiness in my job as an excuse.” Max admitted then.

Michael nodded but remained quiet allowing Max to talk at his own pace.

“If I was happy, genuinely happy with my life then my job wouldn’t matter.”

Michael had to agree; it was what he suspected had kept Maria going for so long too. He was lucky, he loved to cook, and the bonus was that he could do it anywhere in the world.

“So what are you saying? That you’re not happy with Tess?” Michael asked.

“Do you believe in destiny Michael?” he asked instead of answering the earlier question.

Michael was surprised by the sudden change in question and didn’t answer for a second.

“No.” he said. “Just because someone says something is your destiny, it doesn’t make it true. Look at Isabel and me,” he replied referring to the fact that they were supposedly destined to be together but had moved on with other relationships successfully.

“I used to agree with you. In fact I would tell myself until I was blue in the face that destiny had nothing to do with the fact that Tess and I were a couple.”

“What’s changed?” Michael asked.

“I think I altered my destiny. Our destiny, yours, mine and Isabel’s, even Tess’s the day that I saved Liz’s Parker life.”

“What?”

“Think about it. If I hadn’t saved Liz’s life then it’s doubtful that Maria and Alex would have ever been involved in our life,” he said. “What I did, it changed everything…”

Michael had to agree. If Max hadn’t taken the first step bringing humans into their lives, he doubted that either he or Isabel ever would have and then he wouldn’t have Maria, and he was pretty sure that Maria was the one person he was supposed to be with. He couldn’t imagine loving or being with anyone other than Maria.

“That’s true, and eventually Isabel and I probably would have listened to Nasedo,” he shrugged. “I’m sure as hell glad you did it.”

“Yeah me too,” Max replied.

“What’s this about Max? Are you saying that Tess isn’t your destiny and that now you believe in it?”

“I’m saying that maybe Tess was right, maybe there is such a thing as two people meant to be together.”

“Ok.”

“I think Liz Parker is my destiny,” Max revealed then.

“What? Where the hell did that come from?”