Senior Trip (AU CC Mature) (Complete)

This is the gallery for the winners of the fanfic awards to show off their fics, and their banners!

Moderators: Itzstacie, Forum Moderators

greywolf
Roswell Fanatic

Post by greywolf »

Darkness had come to the Baja desert.

She found the junction on highway four, and had traveled about 3 kilometers further when she saw the flare of the cigarette in the distant car parked along the road. She quickly turned off the headlights of the Lincoln and drove it slightly off the road, out of sight behind some succulent plants and a few small trees. The road had been a winding one, and she still was unsure just where the airstrip was in relation to the car guarding the roads.

But fortune favored her as the first of the night’s AN-2s came into the area, the 1000 horsepower Shvetsov supercharged radial engine droning through the sky like an enraged bumblebee. It was running without lights, and the landing field lights had been carefully aimed to avoid detection from the ground, but the rumble of the big rotary engine gave away the location of the airstrip, just as if it had been illuminated by searchlights. Isabel saw that she could bypass the vehicle standing guard on the road by cutting across the desert a few kilometers.

As she started out on the trek through the desert night, she reflected on the advantages of being an Ice Princess, the enforced narcissism of two hour a day aerobics sessions and cheerleader practice actually getting her in pretty good shape for such exertions. But in fact, there was only one other upside to being an Ice Princess. If you rejected others first, you could never get close enough to them to be hurt by their rejection.

She knew that Alex could never care for the real Isabel…the alien that she was. This really wasn’t about happy ever afters, for she knew that was not a possibility. Still, she owed him…owed him for six years of wonderful dreams…six years when she could pretend..just for a few hours each night, that it really was possible for someone to love her for herself.

She owed him for those wonderful memories. He could never be hers,...but even so…the thought of his death sickened him. She had to save him…even if she could never have him.

I still love him,’ she said to herself with resignation. ‘I guess I always will.’

Forty miles south a Jeep was speeding northward. The Jeep actually was little different from the black Jeep back in Roswell, and as he drove it Max thought of how many times in the last two years he’d dreamed about having Liz in the passenger’s seat, like she was tonight. Those would be DAYdreams, of course. It was too hazardous to dream about such things when actually asleep, what with Isabel and her damn ‘sacred vow.’ If it wasn’t for Alex’s life being in danger…and Isabel potentially placing herself at risk as well, Max would have been enjoying himself quite a lot…watching Liz’s hair being blown by the wind in the open top Jeep.

Liz looked up from the map, the small flashlight from the glove compartment held in her hand.

“I’m pretty sure we continue up highway four for forty or fifty miles…then we’ll need to go east.”

Liz found herself surprisingly comfortable, given the circumstances. They’d worked as partners almost every school day for the last five years. Somehow things always worked for Max. She remembered one time when she would have sworn she’d put the wrong ingredients in a chemical reaction by mistake. Nothing should have happened, the molecules should have just sat there….but nonetheless, they had reacted. Every project that she and Max touched seemed to work out…maybe this one would too.

In the back seat, there was more anxiety. Maria didn’t dislike Michael, she often smiled when she would remember the egg nurturing exercise they had done together. But that was for two weeks…in one of the few classes she had ever shared with him. He wasn’t as much of an unknown as Isabel,…but even so, it wasn’t like Maria knew either of the two all that well. And while she trusted Liz normally, …Liz around Max was never quite normal. The girl had been starry-eyed about him for years. Maria figured she’d escaped death once when Alex had managed to pull himself out of the ropes and free them, had escaped death again when she’d survived the airplane crash, and yet a third time when the Marine had rescued them. ‘How many times do you think you can get away with this?’ she asked herself.

The anxiety on Michael’s side of the back seat was as great as Maria’s. He was pretty sure he hadn’t made the best of impressions on Maria…what with Hank poaching their pretend offspring, and….sacred vow not withstanding, he really did want to make a good impression on her. Yeah…she could be argumentative…but somehow he felt more alive around her…even when they were fighting, than he’d ever felt in his whole life with anyone else. Michael knew he couldn’t be the one to break the sacred vow…but if anyone did, …well…he was already imagining a future that included Maria. Somehow he just couldn’t picture himself with anyone else.

As she got closer to the airfield Isabel could hear the noise being made by the pump,...filling the AN-2s big tanks from the stockpile of 55 gallon drums alongside the airfield. She could hear the men talking as they worked...oblivious to her presence in the area.

She looked at the buildings by the airfield…saw the pole building that had to be the one where the three teenagers had been held captive. She already had her plan…find Alex...untie his bonds, and then backtrack across the desert to where she had hid the car. She just hoped, as she crept quietly toward the hut, that Alex was still alright. And most of all, she reminded herself, she had to do this without ever letting Alex know...without letting anyone know...without breaking her sacred vow.
greywolf
Roswell Fanatic

Hope springs eternal in the human breast; …..

Post by greywolf »

• Hope springs eternal in the human breast; …..
    -Alexander Pope,
    An Essay on Man, Epistle I, 1733

In 1733 A guy by the name of Alexander Pope penned the phrase, ‘Hope springs eternal in the human breast,’…Liz had made Alex memorize that from one of her damn SAT-Prep books. And Alex, not really understanding about the extent of the corruption in the local police force…or that his country had completely written him off, really still did have some hope up until the last thirty minutes.

He had hoped that Liz and Maria could give enough information to the locals that there would soon be a squad of Federales rescuing him, or perhaps even some US Marines. He didn’t think that real likely, to be sure, because what little contact he did have with these guys…they’d given him a drink of not particularly good tasting lukewarm water….once, led him to believe they were pretty confident about themselves.

But right now, Alex’s morale was at an all-time low. A half an hour ago Miguel…the guy who’d broken his kneecap, had come in to the room with a small lantern…carrying a cardboard box full of videotapes and DVDs. He’d taken out one of the videotapes and three of the DVDs, checking thename and dates carefully, before taunting Alex.

“See these…these are the reason you will soon be joined by your two friends. ¿Usted pensó que usted era un héroe? You are no hero…merely a fool with a broken knee. I have promised your Mr. Atwater I would give him these and I will…the original tape, and one DVD I think. The other two…well, I may have need of his cooperation at some time in the future."

The man had left him in the dark…still handcuffed, handcuffed so tightly that his hands were far too swollen to even consider slipping them through the cuffs. He’d been trying for twenty minutes in the darkness to pull the spike holding the chain from the timber…but with only one leg working that wasn’t going well either.

Hope may spring eternal….but laying there in the darkness his hope was at an all time low. That’s when he heard the door open and heard more than saw a body slip through into the room. As the small flashlight came on…playing first over his face..then his handcuffs and chain…he wondered what new disaster was about to befall him.

It was all she could do to keep from crying when she saw him…the battered face…swollen hands…bloodied knee.
Omigawd, Alex, what have they done to you?

His wrist was caked with blood, the hands that had held her in a thousand dances were red and swollen, his right leg outstretched on the floor….the knee swollen and bloody. Michael was right, at times Isabel really could be a dangerous bitch…and if she’d had the person who did this in front of her it would have been real interesting…but her anger now was overcome by her compassion.

“What is it now..?” Alex asked angrily.

“Shhh!” came the response as she put the flashlight in her mouth and held it on him as she lifted his handcuffs, wincing herself when she saw the pain it caused him. There was a ‘click” in the darkness as she unlocked them with her powers. She tried to help him to his feet, but his right leg gave out and the flashlight fell to the floor as he stumbled against her.

His eyes blinded by the small flashlight, Alex couldn’t see the face…not even the shape of the person who had entered the room…but when his handcuffs unlocked…when he felt himself being pulled to his feet…he dared to hope that it was a friend…not one of the thugs.

But he’d been lying on the dirt floor for hours. His body was stiff, and he wasn’t at first prepared for the rush of pain he felt when he tried to bend the right knee. He collapsed into the person with the flashlight, and it went out as it fell.

But …..as unbelievable as it seemed to him, as she supported him there in the darkness…he knew…he’d felt that body against his in a thousand dreams, danced against it in thousands of dances….

”Isabel…???”

“Uh….hi Alex. Is it too late to apologize about the computer geek and music freak comment last night?”
greywolf
Roswell Fanatic

Post by greywolf »

As they came up to the dirt road on Highway four Max braked the Jeep slowly to a stop and shut off the engine.

"We aren't making real good time here, Maxwell," came Michael's voice from the back seat.

And that was true, but when you don't know which way you ought to be going...speed really didn't matter all that much. Max was looking for a light...a landmark that might look familiar to either of the girls...anything to help guide them, but there was only darkness. And then it happened. The AN-2 cranked to life and started to taxi to the end of the runway...it's 1000hp engine like an audio beacon in the quiet desert night. Max turned the Jeep down the dirt road, in the direction of the noise, and accelerated.

It was only a few miles later that they saw the outline of the large biplane in the air..and as they looked up the lights came on in their face and they braked to a stop before two men with AK-47 assault rifles. Both girls were terrified...and actually that helped. Neither guard paid the least attention to Michael or Max...in the darkness, all cops looked the same. They shown their flashlights briefly over both terrified girls, confirming that they were the ones that were expected, and waved the Jeep on, grabbing their small radio to tell Miguel that the girls had arrived.

"Isabel!! What are you doing here!! There are guys here with guns...MEAN guys!!"

"Then maybe you ought to speak a little less loudly, Alex," she said, although the roar of the aircraft taking off was likely drowning out anything being said within the little hut.

"Why are you here?...how did you unlock the cuffs...?"

"I uh...I came to apologize, Alex. Liz and Maria got back...said there weren't enough seats for you to fly with them, I found this car and thought I'd drive out here and give you a lift back to town...and apologize to you. I..uh...unlocked your handcuffs with a bobby pin. I'm not just an Ice Princess...I used to do magic shows for Max and Michael when I was a kid."

"But Isabel...that's crazy. There are criminals here...people who will kill you. You need to leave right now."

"Well I wasn't planning on taking a lease on the dump, Alex. Come on..it's only a couple of miles to the car..."

"You go, Isabel. Go right now. And don't wait for me at the car..just get out of the area. I doulbt that I can get two miles on this leg before daylight, and I want you out of the area long before they can see you...so you get going...I insist."

Alex found out that Ice Princesses really did have icy stares sometimes, and he also found out what Max and Michael had long known...there was no one more stubborn than Isabel. Ten minutes later they were a kilometer away...Isabel with her arm around his waist, supporting the right side of his body as he hobbled along. Alex couldn't shake the feeling that he'd had earlier...that although he knew he'd never touched her...held her...not really, that somehow she felt just like he'd imagined her for all those years...the years he'd spent dancing with her in his dreams. Every touch seemed to carry with it a sense of deja vu....

"Really..I'm far enough away now...you could just leave me, get yourself safe....send someone else back...." The glare from her eyes as she looked up at him...it almost seemed like her eyes glowed with a cool silvery radiance...

"We've already had this discussion, Alex...I'm staying until we get you back to the car." Alex could see it would do no good to argue. He endured the pain...sucked it up, and tried to move just a little bit faster, still marveling how comfortable he felt with her sweaty body against his.

Two miles away...

"We can't leave them there behind us," said Max as he stopped the jeep around the bend in the narrow dirt road. "We can't have them where they can block us in once we fing Izzy and Alex."

"Max, those guys have guns!" reminded Liz.

"Well...so do we...but we aren't going to use them anyway...just sneak up behind them...get the drop on them...and then tie them up."

As Max and Michael crept down the road, Maria was shaking her head. "Do you realize how stupid this is, Liz? I mean, Max might be great as a lab partner, but what does he know about rescuing people...what does any of us know about this. Michael...hell, Michael can't even take care of an egg...let alone rescue people."

But two quick powerblasts from the darkness left both guards unconscious, and it took Max and Michael only seconds to use the police handcuffs to restrain the men. They hurried back to the Jeep.

"So what happened?" asked Maria when she saw them trotting back to the Jeep.

"No problem, blondie," said Michael. "You're dealing with the 'A' team here."

"Yeah....well we'll see about that. What now?"

"Now I think we ought to walk," said Max. "We can't risk them hearing the Jeep coming."

The four started down the road toward the airfield.

At the airfield, Miguel put down the radio with a broad grin. He told the two other men to stay at the airfield, to be ready to refuel the next aircraft. Then he went down to the hut to meet the two Policia with the women. When he got there it was empty. He quickly called to the men back at the gas dump on the radio.

"Get your guns and come to the hut. He got away again. But he's limping badly...leaving a trail in the desert you can see even in the night."

"Si, Jefe..."

He looked at the trail again...it was almost like there were two sets of tracks...one dragging a leg. When the two men arrived, he sent them after the boy, waiting at the hut for the arrival of the Policia with the girls.
greywolf
Roswell Fanatic

Post by greywolf »

Alex was amazed at her strength...her endurance...but then...she'd always been strong and agile as a dance partner...but that had just been a dream....hadn't it??

He hadn't eaten for a day...had only the one drink of water since he was captured...no sleep...his injuries...he knew he was tiring fast....and as he touched her...felt her helping carry him each step along the way...he thought he was starting to lose the ability to discern fantasy from reality. For six years she had hardly looked at him...almost like she was avoiding him personally, as if an Ice Princess could even notice him enough TO avoid him. But she had to know she was risking her life for him...had to know how incredibly dangerous this was, and to do this for a stranger.....except...every movement she made...every muscle in her body seemed so...familiar.

It had to be the thirst...the exhaustion, he knew, but it still seemed like he could anticipate her every step...every movement, as if they'd worked together for years....not just the last twenty minutes.

Alex was surprised at how fast he could move with her assistance, like she could anticipate his movement just as he could anticipate hers. But he was still afraid it wasn't fast enough..and he was proved right when he heard the footsteps closing fast from behind them.

"They're coming....go now, Isabel....just go."

"But Alex.."

"Do it Isabel! Leave me. Run...I'll hold them here as long as I can."

She looked at him and looked back along the trail they had made, hearing the footsteps closing. She knew that she could stop them...a single powerblast could likely get them both...but Alex would see...and she'd made a Sacred Vow.

"OK Alex....I'll go," she said, and she slunk silently into the darkness.

The two men had been working hard refueling the aircraft and they were already hot and sweaty, before the run to the hut, and before tracking down the gringo. And they were in no mood for this. They had worked overtime last night...with no reward, once the girls had escaped, and they had a long night's work tonight yet to do. As they rounded the dune and saw him collapsed on the log, they were much less than sympathetic. The Americano had walked two kilometers into the desert with a broken kneecap...he could damn well walk back.

"On your feet, Gringo." said the taller man. "I believe your lady friends are about to join us back at the hut. Perhaps you can watch us party with them..."

The second man was yanking Alex roughly to his feet when the sound of a "thunk" was heard from the back of the head of the taller man.

The Chollo cactus has a skeleton and when the plant dies it often appears like a braided baseball bat. It is often used by those in the desert as a walking stick...but it's a formidable club when an Ice Princess swings it out of the darkness at the back of a person's head.

As his partner fell, the shorter man tried to disengage himself from Alex. to turn his attention...and his pistol...to the unexpected threat. But Alex clung to his gun hand...not long...but long enough, as another "thunk" sounded in the desert night and the man fell at Alex's feet.

Alex looked up at Isabel...."Wow...you aren't just another pretty face, are you?" Then he blushed, "Well..., I mean you do have a pretty face...but I mean.."

"Come on Alex. Let's just get to the car. We're two-thirds of the way there..."

"But what about what he said...If Maria and Liz have been recaptured..."

"That couldn't have happened, Alex. Max and Michael were going to pick me up for dinner just about the time I left. They would have been there...Max wouldn't allow anything bad to happen to his precious lab partner...he's been drooling over Miss Scientist since third grade. And Michael...can you believe Michael hasn't eaten a single egg since he took that class with Maria? No, the boys will be with them...they'll be OK."

"But Isabel, these guys have guns..."

"It doesn't matter, Alex, Liz and Maria will be OK with Max and Michael. You have no idea what a pain in the butt those two can be. You're lucky you didn't have any siblings. But don't underestimate them, Alex. If the girls are with them...and they are...well, they'll be alright. Let's just get going."

Miguel was getting worried. Not only hadn't the Jeep arrived with the girls, he could no longer contact the two guards down on the road...or even the two men he'd sent after the boy. Just when he thought nothing else could possibly go wrong...he heard it...the drone of the turboprop engines of the Mitsubishi as it circled in a great arc, ...preparing to land. He grabbed his AK-47 and started in a slow run along the path of the boy. That way would also take him back toward the highway...back to where the guardpost had gone silent. Sometthing was wrong....very wrong... He had to find the boy...and the two girls, and he had very little time to do so.

It was 15 minutes of hard running before he caught them...he had found the two unconscious workers first...then outflanked them to come up unnoticed....the boy...and a girl helping him...almost to the car Raul had been using. Somehow everything was going wrong. If Raul was captured...if the guards at the road were gone...the two workers....he raised the AK-47....the US State Department had already said they wouldn't trade for Velez.....all they really needed was the boy's body. He would finish him quickly...then go find the two girls....

Max and Michael found the deserted hut, Liz and Maria following carefully behind. But there was no one there. An airplane was landing at the airstrip....but no sign of Alex other than the chain and handcuffs...and a little blood. Then they heard the sound of the AK-47 firing...back towards the road. All four ran outside the hut...and looked in the distance in the direction of the automatic weapons fire.

When the AK-47 started to fire, time seemed to stand still for Alex.

He pushed Isabel behind him knowing she had no other cover, hoping his body had enough mass to stop the bullets from hitting hers....he watched helplessly as the automatic rifle spit bullets at him, hearing the first one pass several feet to his right as he saw the empty cartridge fly through the air by the light of the muzzle flash of the second round. The second bullet passed even closer as the shooter swept the stream of bullets toward them, and he saw that shell casing fly too by the light of the third flash, even before the first had hit the ground, as that bullet zipped by him too, he realized the next one would hit him...he said a quick prayer...asking only that he could stop it...that Isabel would live.

As the bullet left the chamber it headed for his heart. It was traveling 1800 feet per second and was only ten feet from him ...when the powerblast hit it.

Maria looked up in surprise at the bright golden flash coming from the direction of the automatic weapons fire...the explosion that accompanied it taking a second to arrive.

"What in hell was that?" she asked Liz.

"No idea, Ria,...Max, do you know?"

She saw a smile come to his face as he held his hand up toward Michael.

"Unless I miss my guess, that was the sound of a Sacred Vow being broken, Liz."

"YESSS!" said Michael, completing the high-five...
Last edited by greywolf on Tue May 01, 2007 3:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
greywolf
Roswell Fanatic

Post by greywolf »

“You know,” said Michael, “The gunfire and the flash came from up by the road. It would be quicker if we just backtrack to the Jeep, and then ride it back to where they are.”

“But what if that wasn’t Alex or Isabel?” asked Maria.

“Oh, that was Isabel alright,” said a smiling Michael. “There’s no doubt about that…” ‘..and we won’t let her forget it, either…’ Both couples turned around and went back along the road toward the Jeep.

As Roberto Velez landed the turboprop and stepped out, he was not a happy man. He had given Miguel a simple job…abduct three teenagers from the United States to blackmail the US into releasing his brother. Roberto was not a stupid man, he himself doubted even the US State Department would be foolish enough to actually go through with the deal, but by doing so he knew he could at least show his competitors that the syndicate was still stong, even with Manuel in jail and with the economic resources of the syndicate…enough US lawyers, enough muscle applied to witnesses families…it was still possible his brother would walk free.

But this…this was a disaster. Machismo is important in the culture of Columbia, and nowhere is it more important than in crime. The syndicate was strong only because it did not have to waste its energies fighting competitors, and it did not have to waste its energies because it had credibility…credibility that a threat once made would be carried out. Now this idiot Miguel had lost the two girls….lost them AFTER the syndicate had posted their pictures and identification on the net in their threat to the State Department. And these mere women had made fools of Miguel…stealing a syndicate aircraft…escaping. Already the syndicate’s competitors were making jokes in Bogota….and that was the beginning of the end if he let it continue.

So Roberto had come himself, piloting the aircraft with six of his soldados aboard, six of the fiercest enforcers in his syndicate. He had briefed them himself about their priorities. He needed three things. Miguel must die for his incompetence…for shaming the syndicate by his handling of the two girls. They must recover from the airstrip the records Miguel had…the tapes and DVDs of the important people who had visited the bordellos of the syndicate along the border since these were still important in assuring the policies of the US officials were ….reasonable.

But most important of all, they needed the three teenagers whose photo he had showed them…and he needed pictures of them dead. What the soldados did with them before they died was unimportant, except as it might motivate them to find the girls faster, but in the end he needed pictures of them dead…the syndicate needed that, to post on the internet as a warning that the syndicate always kept its threats. Even if they had to drag them from the US Consulate itself, it made little difference. He had many Latin American politicians on the take…many who would decry any actions as US Imperialism…even if they were merely defending their own consulate. Roberto had no fear of the State Department, and the State Department kept the CIA and military in check. The two girls were as good as dead.

Roberto was surprised when no one greeted their arrival, but when they got to the hut and even the boy was missing….the incompetence of Miguel apparently knew no bounds. His men quickly found the trail of the boy leading off toward the road…and as he heard the staccato firing of an AK-47 in the distance, saw a golden flash and heard a small explosion, Roberto smiled, realizing where they had gone. He pointed at the sound and yelled, “Rápidamente... después de ellos”

Six enforcers took off toward the sound, moving swiftly through the desert night. Roberto himself huffed and puffed in their trail, wondering if he ought to spend more time in the gym. He had once been just such an enforcer but prosperity had softened him. He was getting out of shape.

The persona of an Ice Princess had served Isabel well tonight, the long hours of aerobics and cheerleading practice, meant to hold the world at bay, had in fact helped make her strong enough to get Alex that far, that fast, even after dispatching two thugs with the chorro stick. But that didn’t mean she wasn’t tired, she was in fact very tired. Only years of dancing with him, understanding every movement he made, knowing when he too was tired, when he too could endure no more…only these things had let her get him to within sight of the Lincoln Town Car.

But physically, she was nearly spent as she helped hurry him along, and perhaps that’s why she reacted so slowly to the first bullet.

Isabel scarcely knew they were under attack before he shoved her behind him, and although the second bullet registered in her mind, she was out of position..unable to even see Miguel behind Alex’s body.

It was never really a conscious decision…perhaps sometime in those countless dances and those wonderful dreams where he told someone who knew she could never really be loved, that he did love her…perhaps at some level of her subconscious, the decision had long ago been made. She leaned against him, thrusting her hand toward Miguel almost instinctively, fearing it was already too late.

She was bone tired..but she held nothing back as she put all the energy she had into a blind powerblast hoping to stop Miguel before Alex was killed.

The bullet was ten feet away when the powerblast hit it…the wavefront of the powerblast not just stopping the lead slug, not even just turning it back, but vaporizing it. It was only milliseconds later that the lead vapor passed through the area where Miguel had been standing, but Miguel was long since gone, the wavefront from the powerblast half stripping the flesh from his bones as he was propelled backwards into the darkness of the desert, the magazine of the AK-47 exploding as the remaining 16 rounds were detonated by the powerblast.

Isabel herself collapsed on the ground as Alex turned toward her…her right palm still showing the fading golden glow.

“Isabel…are you OK?”

She looked at his wide eyes…the amazement in his face….this was the moment she’d dreaded all of her life…but especially the last six years..the six years she'd dreamwalked him.

“I just need a few minutes to recover, Alex. I’m…I’m fine I guess. Let’s get to the car…I can rest there.”

They made it the last little bit to where the car was waiting, both too tired to talk at first. But she knew it was coming…knew that she now had to pay the price.

“What was that, Isabel?...….how did you..??”

There was no sense lying to him she decided. It would be less painful perhaps if it were done quickly.

“That was …well, we call it a powerblast, Alex. We…well, that would be me…and Max……and Michael. We were carried as embryos in pods…incubators, sort of,.. on the 1947 saucer that crashed in Roswell. We were released from the incubators about twelve years ago. We have the power to do things like that, and a few other things.”

Even before she'd told him this, Alex couldn’t figure out why Isabel would have come for him…even when he believed she was just an Ice Princess rather than an alien. It had made no sense…Ice Princesses didn’t put their lives on the line to save…well, computer geek and music freak really wasn’t that far off the mark. But she had not only put her life on the line, but obviously revealed this incredible secret about herself to him…and Ice Princess Isabel had never revealed anything to anybody. He had to know….

“Why Isabel? Why me? Why did you really come here tonight?”

And she was too tired to lie, too frightened…too depressed, to do anything but tell the truth…and to watch him reject her.

“I owed you, Alex. I’ve been sharing your dreams for the last six years…those dances were the closest thing I had to any kind of a normal life…the happiness they gave me…well, I owed you…and then, well, the only reason you got kidnapped was that terrible remark I made…, but I’m sorry…I had no right to invade your dreams like that…invade your privacy. Please forgive me, Alex. I'll do anything you want if you'll just forgive me.”

Alex couldn’t be mad at her for reading his mind…for seeing his dreams. After all, it was her he was dreaming about. And they had been beautiful dreams, from their very first dance, to their very last…

‘OMIGAWD, SHE SAW THE DREAM I HAD IN THE AIRPLANE.’

As Alex’s mouth dropped open in shock, Isabel knew her worst fears were becoming reality. She saw the color drain from his face…his face grow panicky...his head turn away…like he was afraid even to look at her. Her heart was breaking, but she had to tell him the whole truth…knowing it would make him hate her even more.

“And worst of all, I not only peeked…I changed them..lived them with you. I know you never really liked the tango, but you danced it anyway, because I asked you to.”

That really wasn’t true, Alex thought. He loved the tango, it’s just that when he’d tango with her they’d be so close…his thoughts would start to make him get excited, and he was afraid that she’d notice that certain parts of his anatomy WERE getting excited…. ‘WAIT A MINUTE??? SHE PARTICIPATED IN THE DREAMS? NOT JUST WATCHED?’ But that would mean… ‘OMIGAWD!!!’

When she saw his eyes widen, she realized he now understood the full magnitude of her violation of his privacy. He seemed to be incapable of coming up with the right words, he was so vexed with her. She was certain that when he finally found his voice, the words would break her heart.

She was almost relieved when the rifle shot hit the side mirror of the car. If she had someone to fight, she wouldn’t have to hear Alex tell her how much he hated her for what she had done to him.

It was actually about the third bullet hitting nearby that finally pulled Alex out of shock….convinced him to think about taking cover rather than marveling over the fact that Isabel could actually love him that much…and that way.

He actually did take cover after the fourth shot from the attacking soldados hit the car. Survival IS more important to an eighteen year old male than sex…but only just.
Last edited by greywolf on Thu May 03, 2007 8:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
greywolf
Roswell Fanatic

Post by greywolf »

When they had found the still smoldering body of Miguel, they'd hesitated...but only briefly. The syndicate did not reward caution, it rewarded ruthlessness, and the six enforcers were the most ruthless in the syndicate, each already having demonstrated the lengths they would go to...the people they would kill, for the syndicate. So their hesitation was short, anly one taking the time to cross himself as he looked at Miguel, wondering what weapon did this to him. 'it looks like a shotgun...then someone took a flamethrower to him....' he thought before joining in the pursuit.

They had spread out into three groups of two...when the first group saw the two teenagers. When the initial shots weren't returned, and they could see no weapons, two men rushed the quarry huddled behind the Lincoln Town Car that was fast resembling Swiss cheese. It proved a fatal error as the golden light stabbed out once...twice, when they were at close range. But it was apparent even from the failed attack that the power of the girl's weapon was waning...barely capable of reaching the thirty feet needed to stop the second man.

The plan was unspoken...but obvious. Two men kept up the fire, pinning the two behind the car, while they other two circled eastward, to come in from the flank. It was a classic strategy, the two were trapped behind the car by the first two riflemen. Once the other two flanked them, they could only die in a hail of bullets.

As the bullets clanged off the fender above her, the only thing that kept Isabel from wishing she'd never been born was...well, she was too busy wishing she'd never been hatched from the pod. But it wasn't about her...or at least not about what she was going through, it was about him. She had been the one that had spent six years interfering with his dreams...keeping him from having a normal life...sucking him into this alien abysss that she hated...but had no chance to avoid. But Alex could have, she realized, and it was only because of her that his life was being threatened.

Her strength was almost drained...by what she had done to Raul..what she had done to Miguel...by the long run from the hut...by the powerblast with which she'd killed the first man who had run at them with his AK-47 spitting death. It was a miracle neither of them were already dead, and another miracle when she pulled the power from deep within her to blast the second man as he was about to shoot Alex. But she knew with tat powerblast that she had no more energy to give...that it would be hours...maybe days before she could powerblast again.

She looked at Alex...remembering all those years...all those dances...the guilt overwhelmed her. Her only wish now was that she die first..to spare her from seeing the end to the harm she had caused him.

The gunfire more than covered up the noise made by the Jeep going down the dirt road. Max had the lights off... driving by the light of the stars and the moon, and the uneven dirt road through them around in their seats. But they had a pretty good view of the action shortly after the fighting started as they came around the bend. Maria still thought they were all insane...then she thought she'd gone insane as well when she saw the first man fall to a powerblast....

"Max...Michael...what did she just do...what was THAT?"

"Uh, Maria, ..Liz, ..what you need to know about Isabel is...well, Izzy isn't exactly from around here.."

"Where's she from, Max?" asked Liz warily.

"Well, she'd from an incubation pod that had been carried by the 1947 saucer. She was hatched from an embryo about twelve years ago....that's why she has some alien powers."

"AND YOU'VE KNOWN ABOUT THIS HOW LONG...AND DIDN'T TELL US?" asked a panicky Maria, realizing she had an alien for a roomate.

She knew that Isabel and Max were adopted...maybe he was used to being under the same roof as an alien...but she wasn't.

Maria HAD seen that movie Michael had talked about with Natasha Henstridge...that Species thing. Pamela Troy had set her up on a blind date in seventh grade with a guy who said he was going to take her to see a romantic comedy. He'd taken her to that movie instead, hoping she'd be scared enough to not notice him groping her. She'd given him a black eye, but even so...the movie had frightened her so much she'd almost peed her pants. She found herself looking out at Isabel with more and more apprehension...especially when the second man fell to her powerblast.

"Actually, Maria," said Max. "I've known about it since about 20 minutes after she crawled out of her pod...when I crawled out of mine. She's been lording it over me for the last twelve years, ....'I'm the big sister, Max...you have to do as I say'," he said sarcastically, in a pretty good imitation of Isabel's voice.

Liz giggled at his imitation, but Maria pulled further and further away from him...almost crawling into Michael's lap. "My God, Michael," she whispered. "Did you have any idea about those two being.....aliens?"

Max chuckled, "Yeah he did...about three hours later...when HE hatched."

"Hey, I overslept...it happens," protested Michael. Maria froze wide-eyed...then quickly moved back to her own seat.

As Max pulled the Jeep to a stop, he and Michael quickly got out. Max went with Liz to flank the two men providing covering fire while Michael went to intercept the other two. Maria sat in the back seat of the Jeep for only a few seconds...than ran off into the desert.

As the two men on their flank opened fire..it was almost like some bizarre dance as Isabel and Alex each sought to shield the other with their own body. A ricocheting round found Alex's forearm, carving out a superficial scratch before the night was lit up by four golden flashes with accompanying explosions. Then all was quiet.

As she passed out from exhaustion, all Isabel could think about was the joy of knowing that he'd live. Even if he hated her forever, she could at least be happy for that.
Last edited by greywolf on Thu May 03, 2007 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
greywolf
Roswell Fanatic

Post by greywolf »

Maria ran blindly into the desert, repeatedly looking back over her shoulder as she feared their pursuit.

She had always been …uneasy with Isabel Evans. And she realized as she saw the golden beam come from Max’s hand… smashing to death the men attempting to kill his sister…his ALIEN sister, that he really knew no more about Max…at least not from first hand knowledge. Maria had listened to Liz talk about him incessantly for years…clearly she wasn’t objective.

In fact, Maria knew Michael better than either of the other two, and the only thing she knew for sure about him was he couldn’t take care of an egg worth a damn. But she’d now seen him do that golden beam thing too… 'My God…I’m surrounded by them…’ she thought as she ran through the brush, trying to put as much distance between them and her as possible.

And she was making good time, she could tell as she looked behind her and saw the Lincoln retreat into the distance, very good time…until the arm reached out and grabbed her in a chokehold.

Roberto listened as the firing stopped, uncertain what was going on.

He would have been willing to bet that whatever had happened, his enforcers had been victorious…they were the most aggressive and the most ruthless of the many men who worked for him….he would have bet, that is, if the sound of explosions had not followed each of the golden flashes.

He had slowed his advance, regretting for this once that he carried only the six-shot revolver that had been his since he had been a young man like these enforcers, making his reputation in the streets of Bogota.

The young bulls kidded him about the ancient revolver…most carried automatic pistols with fifteen round magazines, but it had killed many people in its time, and would likely serve him again tonight he decided as he saw the Lincoln in the distance with the small group surrounding it.

They seemed to be scarcely more than children…but he recognized two of them…the boy and one of the girls that Miguel had captured. His eyes narrowed as he saw them…those two he needed…alive or dead, and he needed the third as well for his credibility was on the line with his competitors.

But luck was with him as he saw her suddenly, stumbling toward him in the darkness looking backward at the others. ‘Six gringoes…six bullets, a coincidence perhaps?’ Roberto Velez did not think so.
greywolf
Roswell Fanatic

Post by greywolf »

As Max and Liz got to the Lincoln, Max looked down at his sister and Alex. Alex clearly was injured and in pain, but Isabel was unconscious. In the darkness he couldn’t tell for sure if she was even breathing… or how badly hurt Alex might be. He kneeled down to where they were laying next to the car and connected to both of them….

The connection to Izzy was easy…she was his sister and the connection was almost intuitive. He was pleased to see she wasn’t seriously injured…although she was totally exhausted, both physically and mentally. As the flashes from her mind went by him….well normally he’d have taken a peek at them…just to annoy her. I mean, it wasn’t like she didn’t poke her nose into Michael and his dreams all the time,…but Max let it go…he needed to get to Alex.

Alex was exhausted as well…and dehydrated…and bruised and scratched ..and had a kneecap broken in three parts.

As Max forced the pieces of the broken kneecap back into position with his mind, and started the healing process, he had a few seconds to look at the flashes from Izzy….boring….he switched to Alex…more boring…programming computers in assembly language…playing a twelve string guitar…. dancing with Izzy in a dream…how boring did it get.

As a matter of fact, Max decided they both led real boring lives. Outside of dancing with each other the only other thing that seemed to excite either of them was the recent airplane ride….although he’d swear they’d both slept through the whole trip.

His mind went into Izzy’s mind…saw her walking toward the restroom…Uck…switched rapidly to Alex’s mind…saw him sitting in the restroom…how strange…suddenly the door opened….Izzy tripped…and he saw from Alex’s perspective…that is, with Alex’s chin on her sternum….a 200 degree view of his sister's cleavage……TOO MUCH INFORMATION!!!

Max retreated from the flash in horror before he could see anything else, continuing the connection to finish healing Alex’s injuries but careful to look in no more flashes. He already knew he was a dead alien walking if Izzy ever found out about reading the diary but….God help him if she ever found out about this.
greywolf
Roswell Fanatic

Post by greywolf »

With Max connected to Izzy and Alex, he was virtually helpless, and neither Alex nor Isabel were in much better shape. Michael was worried about Maria, but had to stay with the other four…just in case they’d missed any other attackers..,and when he heard the noise to his right, he turned to face the danger, stepping between the four at the car and the new threat, raising his right hand to powerblast…and then stopping with his hand outstretched, a look of terror on his face.

Roberto advanced with the girl before him, his left hand gripping her throat to control her. The ancient revolver had only the six shots…he had to be careful. He had seen the bodies of his soldados…there was something strange going on here…something Roberto did not fully comprehend. As the boy with the funny hair stepped forward, protecting the four behind him he was willing to compromise, even though the boy appeared unarmed…

“Give me the other girl and the boy…the ones that were first captured…and the other three of you can live.”

Michael shook his head, unable to take his eyes off a terrified Maria, unable to powerblast without hitting her.

“Let her go…then we can talk.”

“I think not,” said Roberto Velez, as he fired the pistol into Michael’s abdomen.
greywolf
Roswell Fanatic

Post by greywolf »

He felt the flashes come from Max first…as the healing began. He saw two little children walking naked down a gravel desert road….saw a very Isabel making Max and Michael take a Sacred Vow to never….ever…ever tell humans about them…or even associate with them. And he saw flash after flash of Liz Parker…and felt the strength of Max’s feelings for her.

Somehow he was able to see flashes of Isabel through the connection with Max…saw the same event…her forcing Max and Michael to make a Sacred Vow…feeling the depth of her fear…fear that she could never be accepted by any human. The next flash he saw broke his heart…it was her memory of the first dream in which he’d told her he loved her….he saw a Young Isabel dressed as a princess in a low cut gown....who had been dancing with a young Prince Alex....and he saw that young girl speak...heard her say… "I love you, Alex," she said, ".I always will…whatever happens… wherever you are. I’ll never stop lov...ing you…" but while he heard her words...while he was humbled by the love she had for him....he also felt her feelings…feeling the fear…the insecurity…the dread of rejection within her.

She’d have never been able to say that to him really, he could tell. Only in a dream could she have said them...only knowing he thought she was human.

He could feel her feelings…feel them way down to his soul….feel them with every fiber of his being. He knew then…understood….there was no way that she could believe that Alex could accept her…that he could love her, now that he knew she was an alien. It just wasn’t in her. Isabel Evans would never let herself believe it.

For all the love she had for him...her fear of rejection was even greater. She would love him...love him forever.....but she'd never believe he could love her....never really let her get close. Isabel Evans would always keep him at a distance....for fear of rejsection.