The Fourth (AU, K/T, CC ADULT) (Complete)

This is the gallery for the winners of the fanfic awards to show off their fics, and their banners!

Moderators: Itzstacie, Forum Moderators

Icalynn
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by Icalynn »

I'm back from my trip- and I'm so behind on everything, but I thought I should update first!

Thanks to alizaleven, Timelord31, Flamehair, imnotlc, and Fehrbaby for the feedback. Enjoy!

~ 21 ~

Days stretched into weeks and soon a month had passed without an incident. Kyle relaxed more, knowing that Liz's flashes must have been false after all- Tess was safe and sound.

"I think it's safe," Kyle sighed as he rubbed his neck. "Can you call Nasedo off?"

"He doesn't always listen to me," Max replied. "Are you sure?"

"It's been more than a month," Kyle pointed out as he glanced across the room to see Tess still sleeping in their bed. "It would have happened by now, wouldn't it?"

"Liz's flashes tend to come true within the week, so it's safe to assume everything is fine." He agreed the point and Kyle sighed with relief.

"I don't like him around," Kyle added. "He's creepy and Tess hates him."

"Does she know?" Max questioned and Kyle sighed.

"No," he whispered. "It was just a safeguard, I couldn't tell her-"

"Tell me what?" Tess implored as Kyle jerked, glancing over at Tess as she sat down on the plush chair across from him. "Kyle?" She added, a little more sternly.

"Hey, Max, I have to go." He replied quickly into the phone, hanging up, not giving Max a chance to reply.

"You were talking to Max?" She asked as Kyle nodded in reply. "Is there something wrong?"

"Nasedo wants to see us," He rushed to explain and she frowned instantly.

"Do we have too?" She groaned as she nervously ran her fingers through her hair. "I just don't like him very much-"

"Why?" Kyle questioned. "I mean he's a tad creepy, but he really hasn't done anything to you."

Tess shrugged, "not sure. Just a funny feeling I get every time I think about him- he's not what he seems."

"No kidding," he snorted as he shook his head.

"Is that what you didn't want to tell me?" She began as she studied him briefly.

"Yeah," Kyle nodded as Tess' eyes narrowed.

"But, that's not all," she added and his eyes widened in surprise.

"Are you sure you don't have telepathy or something?" Kyle sighed, shaking his head.

"Kyle," She laughed. "You're a horrible liar."

"Am not," Kyle denied as Tess laughed harder.

"You look to the right, just a little, and your eyes crinkle up just a tad." She explained as he stared at her.

"I do not," he grumbled as she laughed in response.

"Yes, baby, you do." She grinned as she got up from her chair and crossed over to him.

"That's kinda disappointing," Kyle sighed as Tess playfully slapped his arm. "Hey."

"You shouldn't want to lie to me," she argued as she sat down beside him.

"Yeah, but if I ever want to surprise you I can't-" he grumbled as she laughed, shaking her head.

"I'm sure you can think of something," she stated. "And don't change the subject- what's up?"

"Nasedo's here." He complied, giving her the half truth.

"He is?" Tess gasped, stiffening at once. "Why?"

"To watch over us," Kyle sighed. "I knew, if you knew, you wouldn't like it."

"I don't," she stammered, crossing her arms over his chest. "Is that why you were talking with Max?"

"Yes," he nodded. "I didn't want him around us anymore."

"Anymore?" She questioned. "How long has he been here?"

"Your guess is as good as mine," he sighed, exaggerating the truth. "He's Nasedo and I doubt he's ever in one place long- and he's been looking for you for years."

"He obviously wasn't looking very hard," she sighed. "Ugh, I don't even want to speak about him- just tell Max to order him out of here."

"He claims that he doesn't always listen to him," Kyle shrugged.

"That's so not true. Nasedo doesn't have that option- he must obey a direct order from the king." Tess stated with a degree of authority that Kyle couldn't help but smile.

"And what if the Queen orders him?" He asked as Tess shook her head.

"I have to have the approval of the King to make any rulings of my own." She sighed as she interlaced her fingers with his.

"That's pretty stupid," Kyle commented as he squeezed her hand.

"Tell me about it," She whispered as she turned to him. "So, what are our plans for the day?"

"Practice?" he replied and she sighed, shaking her head.

"Practice on a Saturday?" She grumbled. "The coach is inhumane."

"I'm sorry," he whispered as he kissed her softly. "We have to make up, Sanders was ill the last few days and we have a big game coming up."

"How long will you be?" She sighed.

"Don't know," Kyle shrugged. "I'll call- we can go out to dinner."

Tess forced a small smile to her face. "If that's all I can get, I'll take it. Tell me again, why do you play?"

"Scholarship," he reminded her and she frowned.

"Maybe my dad will adopt you," she mused as Kyle laughed.

"But, then we'd have to stop seeing each other." He chuckled as she playfully hit his arm.

"You know what I mean," she insisted.

"Yeah," he smiled. "I do." He leaned in and kissed her once more before he jumped up and grabbed his bag. "See you later."

"Yeah," Tess nodded as she got up and saw him to the door. "Have fun." She called out after him and closed the door.

TBC
Icalynn
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by Icalynn »

Thank you, Flamehair, killjoy, imnotlc, Fehrbaby, Timelord31, and eric1978 for the awesome feedback!

And as most of you pointed out, the last part was indeed the calm before the storm... As for Max, he doesn't know he can order Nasedo around and it'll be a painful lesson that he'll have to learn.

This part may not be suitable for some, you have been warned. Enjoy.

~ 22~

Tess glanced up as the door opened and Kyle walked in. "Hey," she smiled as she jumped up from her seat and place her book to the side, happy to see him. "You got out early, I wasn't expecting you until later."

"Yeah," Kyle nodded.

"Did you still want to go out for dinner?" She questioned as she turned away, reaching for her purse. "It's a little early-"

"No," Kyle replied and Tess glanced back at him in confusion.

"Oh," she stammered, disappointment washing over her. "Why not?"

"I don't think this is going to work," he stated as he glanced away from her and Tess' mouth opened in shock, her heart skipping a beat.

"What do you mean?" She questioned, her voice rising sharply. "Kyle?"

"I said I don't think this will work," he stated once more, turning his gaze to her.

Tess blinked at him as she tried to process his statement, the words sounding horribly cruel to her ears. "What- oh." She mumbled as she shook her head, unable to accept his words. "What do you mean?" Tess managed to reply as she crossed over to him. "This morning you-"

"You're pathetic Tess," he drawled, staring at her. "I don't love you anymore."

Tess stared at him, her heart aching painfully at his words. "What?" She questioned, her voice cracking as she tried not to cry.

"I had a change of heart-"

"Just like that?" She gasped, shaking her head. "Kyle. Please, what's wrong? Did I-"

"You," he groaned. "Nasedo was right, you are worthless."

"Nasedo?" She repeated her eyes narrowing as she studied him closely. "What does he have to do with anything, with us?"

"He stopped me today. He made me realize, how stupid this relationship is- how wrong we are together." He explained. "You have a destiny Tess."

"Destiny?" She growled. "What the fuck is going on? I thought you were over that-"

Kyle shrugged as he turned away and headed for the door.

"No," she shouted as she reached out for him, tugging on his arm. "I don't believe you- tell me to my face, that you don't love me."

He turned sharply, glaring at her. "I don't love you."

Tess felt hot tears sting her eyes as she realized one thing, he wasn't lying. "No, I don't believe you, this- the Kyle I know loves me."

"You're mistaken," Kyle hissed as he pushed her away. "Guess you didn't know me very well."

"No," Tess whispered. "No. This isn't like you. Kyle!" She gasped as she threw her arms around him and kissed him. She gasped as their lips touched and she was blindsided by flashes of complete darkness, the kiss was so foreign, so uncaring.

Kyle growled, pushing her away with enough force to have her sail back against the edge of the counter top. She cried out in pain, blinking back her tears as she tried not to double over with the intensity of it all, but failed. "You're pathetic," he hissed.

She couldn't help but stare at the man before her, he looked so much like Kyle, sounded like him, he even tasted like him- but, he wasn't the man she loved.

She groaned, forcing herself to stand up. "And you're not Kyle," She insisted as she held her hand up and sent an energy blast toward him.

Kyle laughed, blocking the blast with a force shield. Tess gasped, her eyes widening as the blue wall shimmered between them. She knew at that moment, that she was right. He was an imposter- no one but Max had the power to produce a viable shield. Kyle had told her so himself.

"You're powers are less than to be desired, Ava." He hissed as he sent an energy blast back at her.

The blast hit her full force, causing her body to be thrown across the room. She saw black for a second as she hit the back wall. Her body trembling in pain as she tired to right herself back up.

She whimpered as he neared, not sure if she could do this. "What do you want from me?"

"To follow your destiny," he hissed as helped her up, grabbing her by the throat and raising her up against the wall.

She clawed at his hands, unable to look at the crystal blue eyes that she loved. "No-" she rasped, her lungs burning as she ached to draw a breath.

"You were to be the true Queen and now you are nothing but a whore, sleeping with a human." He continued, increasing his pressure around her neck. "You destroyed my plans. You were the key and now I'm stuck on this pathetic planet."

"Nasedo," she hissed as she managed to draw what little strength she had left and kicked him in the groin. He stumbled back, dropping her as he continued to curse at her in the language that haunted her dreams.

Her vision clouded over as she panted for air, barely registering that the phone was ringing. She gasped, frantically reaching for the phone. "I don't think so," he hissed as he raised his hand and instantly shattered the phone into a thousand pieces.

She stared at the phone and forced herself to stand, her legs trembling underneath her. "What do you want from me?" She demanded as she closed her eyes and tried to produce a mindwarp, anything to give her the advantage, a chance to escape.

"Your mind games won't work on me," He laughed as he towered over her. "And to think you were so powerful in your past life. You're pathetic."

"Please," she gasped as the mindwarp she tried to create shattered and she felt as if he was in her mind, punishing her even more.

He grabbed her, squeezing her arm painfully tight as he forced her to look at Kyle's face. Her heart ached to see such cold eyes glaring at her. "You will go to your king, you will seduce him, and bring me his heir," he ordered and her eyes widened.

"No," she whispered, shaking her head, unable to even imagine herself doing such a thing.

"I can kill you," he stated and she whimpered, knowing that he could. "This isn't even a fraction of my true power," he smirked as she attempted to pull away.

"Let go of me!" She cried. "I am the queen."

"You have failed me," he growled as he pushed her away with another blot of electricity.

She cried out as she fully collapsed to the ground, no longer having the energy to pull her self back up. "No," she whispered as she tasted her salty tears and the bitter taste of copper in her mouth. Her hand trembled as she wiped at her mouth and she moaned as her hand drew back blood. "Please."

"And once I kill you, your little boyfriend is next." He growled as she began to sob at his threat.

"No." She gasped, shaking her head. "Not Kyle. Please, don't hurt him."

"Ah," he chuckled as he shifted back to his true self and Tess glared at him. "You really love him, this human freak. You'd give up your life for him." He stated and she couldn't deny it.

"Please," she pleaded as she felt her body growing numb.

Nasedo laughed, kneeling down beside her. He grasped her hair into his hand and yanked her up. "You bring me the true heir and I'll leave your precious boyfriend alone."

She gasped as his words sunk in, "I can't-"

"Then he'll pay for your disobedience," he smiled, sending Tess into a full panic as she grabbed onto him.

"No!" She sobbed. "I'll do it- please, don't hurt him."

"Good," he nodded as he pushed her back to the ground. "Let this be a lesson." He added as he lifted his hand up once more.

She sighed with relief, knowing that Kyle would be spared- she would do anything for him. Tess barely registered the pain anymore, all she saw was blackness as she found herself slipping away.

~

Kyle followed the other players off the field and he started to strip off the football padding. He groaned as he dropped to the bench and began to wipe off the dirt that clung to him.

"Valenti, don't you every answer your damn phone?" Chris snapped and Kyle glanced blankly at him. "Your phone is ringing," he snorted as Kyle realized that he was right.

"Hello?" Kyle questioned with a hint of annoyance as he glared back at Chris.

"Where's Tess?" The voice on the other end demanded and it took Kyle a second to realize it was Michael.

"At the apartment," he replied, his body filling with dread and all pretense of cleaning up left him. "Why?"

"Something's wrong," he stated and Kyle froze. "She's in trouble, I can feel it- I tried calling but no one answered."

"No, no, no," he chanted more to himself as he hung up the phone. Ignoring the calls from his teammates, he grabbed his bag and dashed out of the locker room.

Once he was outside, away from prying eyes, he teleported back to their place. He exhaled sharply as his eyes adjusted to the dim light, only to reveal his worst fear. The place was in ruins, just like Liz's image.

"Tess?" he called out, his heart beating rapidly and he walked further into the apartment. "Oh, Tess!" he cried as he saw her crumpled body on the floor. "Please, no."

He dropped his bag and the phone and rushed to her side. "Oh, baby," he whispered as he cradled her body to his and he sighed with relief as he felt her short gasps of breath and faint pulse. "Stay with me," he pleaded as he kissed her softly and reached for his phone.

He instantly hit redial and he only had to wait half a ring before Michael picked up. "It happened," He whispered, his voice heavy with tears. "Get Max."

"Is she alive?" Michael questioned and Kyle glanced down at her frail body.

"Barely," he sniffed. "Where can I meet you, we don't have much time."

"What are you planning?" Michael asked and Kyle refused to answer, knowing that he'd attempt talk him out of it. "Kyle-"

"Where's Max?" Kyle questioned harshly, cutting him off.

"He's here with me, we're at my place." Michael answered as Kyle dropped the phone to the side, no longer needing to speak to him.

He gathered Tess into his arms, and stood up, placing a kiss to her paling lips. "For you," he whispered softly as he concentrated everything he was, everything he needed to be to save the one he loved.

He didn't know if he would make it, but he knew that neither would live if he didn't try. He felt a surge of powers as he teleported. He wavered dangerously, dropping to his knees as he heard voices rush around him.

He blinked, his eyes barely focusing on Max as he held her out to him. "Save her," he managed to say before he too drifted off into the darkness that was surrounding him.

tbc
Icalynn
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by Icalynn »

Thank you, Fehrbaby, Flamehair, Drogyn, killjoy, and alizaleven for the awesome FB.

~23~

"Well?" Max questioned as Michael shook his head.

"Liz's flash came true after all," Michael groaned, slamming the phone down.

"What are they going to do?" Maria asked, her voice raising in alarm. "Is he going to take her to the-" her voice trailed off as the lights around them began to flicker.

"What's-" Max began as the room was plunged into darkness, only for the lights to flash to a brilliant white, blinding everyone in the room for a second.

Max blinked as Kyle appeared out of nowhere with Tess in his arms. "Oh, my god!" Maria gasped to his right as Kyle's haunted gaze locked onto his.

All Max could see was the pain in Kyle's eyes, and he reached out to help him. Kyle dropped to his knees, holding Tess out to him. "Save her," he managed to whisper as Max took her into his arms and cradled her body close to his.

Max was torn, feeling the need to help them both, but figured that Tess needed his undivided attention first. He tried to ignore the concerned voices around him as he turned and placed Tess gently on the couch.

He took a deep calming breath before he placed one hand on her brow and the other on her abdomen, willing himself to make a connection with her, unsure if his powers would work without her being conscious. Max tried, but couldn't form a connection with her. "Damn," he groaned as he stood up in frustration.

"Oh, Kyle!" Maria cried out and Max turned his attention to her hovering over Kyle's prone body. He gasped as he realized that Kyle was worse off then he originally thought, blood was trickling from his ears and noise, he was dying as well.

"Fuck," Max cursed as he crossed over to him, pushing Maria to the side. He hoped that his previous connection would help him form one now, when he needed it. He closed his eyes and pressed his hand to Kyle's head, a connection forming almost instantaneously.

He sucked in a quick breath as he scanned him and began to heal the brain hemorrhage he caused by teleporting so far. He withdrew as flashes of Kyle and Tess flickered before him, tears stinging his eyes as he felt the love and devotion he felt for her. Kyle was willing to give up his life for her.

"Will he be okay?" Maria questioned as he pulled away.

"I healed all that I could," Max whispered. "The rest is up to Kyle."

"What about Tess?" Michael questioned and Max looked up at him. "You have to save her-"

"I can't reach her," he sighed as he turned his attention back to Tess.

"But, you were married to her in your past life! She was your wife, how can you not connect with her?" Michael protested, not willing to give up. He reached out to his sister and ran his fingers gently down the side of face. "You have to do something, Max. Save her."

Max's eyes widened as he noticed the soft flicker of light coming from Michael's hands, he was connected to her as only a sibling could be. "I can heal her through you," he gasped as Michael glanced up at him in confusion. "You have the deeper connection with her, you can bridge the gap."

Michael nodded. "Hurry," he whispered. "Her breathing is so shallow."

"Take her hand and give me your other hand," Max instructed as Michael quickly followed his instructions. Max took his hand and placed his other hand on Tess' abdomen. Max eyes fluttered close as the connection flared to life and he was slowly able to heal her battered body. "Give her some of your energy," he added after a short pause, not having enough power to fully heal her.

Michael nodded, giving her a boost of his energy. "Tess," he whispered. "Please come back to us."

They pulled away as Tess' eyes snapped open. "No!" She cried out as she scrambled up and pushed their hands away.

"Tess," Max began as she searched him. "How do you feel?"

Tess blinked, realizing that she felt fine, the intense pain she felt moments ago was gone. Tess wrung her hands as she glanced nervously at the people around her. She couldn't trust her eyes, she didn't know if these were her friends or not.

"Tess?" Michael questioned as he reached out to her, touching her shoulder.

She sighed as the wave of familiarity calmed her senses. "I'm okay," She whispered as she slowly let down her guard, fully accepting their presence. "How did I get-" she began, her voice trailing off as she noticed Kyle lying on the floor, just behind Maria. "Kyle!" She cried out as tears stung her eyes. Tess swayed dangerously as she attempted to get up off the couch, a wave of dizziness hitting her full force.

"He brought you here," Michael stated as he offered his hand to her. "Be careful, you almost didn't make it."

Tess took his hand as she closed her eyes, trying to regain her balance. "Kyle?" She questioned as she opened her eyes and managed to cross over to him with Michael's help. She knelt down beside him and picked up his hand, squeezing it slightly.

"I healed the damage," Max explained as she ran her fingers over Kyle's face, her tears falling as he didn't respond to her touch.

"Then why isn't he-" she stammered as she tried to find her words. "Awake?"

"I don't know," Max whispered as he knelt down beside her. "He has to wake up on his own, I repaired the damage he caused by coming here. He shouldn't have tried to bring you here- I warned him."

"We teleported-" she gasped as the pieces started to fall into place. "He shouldn't have risked it, he shouldn't have-"

"He was willing to give his life for yours," he added as Tess turned her attention back to Kyle.

"Oh, Kyle!" She sobbed as she wrapped her arms around him, crying harder as he didn't respond to her once more. She held onto him, crying into his shoulder, willing him to wake up.

Michael glanced over at Max. "What should we do?"

"Let them be," Maria offered as she wrapped her arms around Michael. "Let's give them a moment." She whispered softly.

TBC
Icalynn
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by Icalynn »

Thank you, alizaleven, Flamehair, tequathisy, Fehrbaby, killjoy, and Drogyn for the fantastic feedback... it really keeps me going.

Enjoy.

~24~

Tess pulled herself together and glanced up at the two other men in her life. "Can we move him," she sniffed. "Clean him up?"

Max glanced at Michael. "Oh, yeah, sure." Michael stammered. "He can use my bed."

"Thanks," Tess smiled as she stood up and allowed Max and Michael to carry him back into the bedroom.

"Maybe you should clean yourself up first?" Maria offered as Tess glanced down at her rumpled and bloody clothing.

"Oh," Tess nodded, as almost in a daze. "Yeah."

"And when you are ready," Max added softly as he came back into the main room. "We need you to tell us what happened-"

"Didn't you see flashes when you healed me?" Tess questioned and Max shook his head no.

"Michael?" Max asked, turning to him. "Did you?"

Michael sighed. "I'm not sure what I saw- for a second I thought Kyle hit you."

Tess bristled, shaking her head. "Of course not." She stammered. "Why would he risk his life to save mine, if he was the one that attacked me?"

"Who did attack you?" Max pushed and Tess flinched, dropping her gaze to the ground.

"I- I don't remember." She whispered, glancing back up to them. "Please, can we talk about this later?"

Max and Michael shared a glance and then nodded. "The morning," Max stated. "No later than that."

"Yes, El Presidente," Tess drawled as she turned sharply, slamming the door to the bedroom behind her.

She placed her back against the door as fresh tears stung her eyes. "Oh, Kyle. What am I going to do?" Tess groaned, angrily wiping at her tears as she crossed over to the bed and crawled up beside Kyle. She wrapped her arms around him and rested her head on his chest, running her fingers over his chest. "Don't leave me, baby, you promised you'd never leave me." She whispered as she kissed him softly. "Come back to me, I can't face Nasedo on my own."

~

Maria stared at the closed door. "Something's way wrong," she commented as she turned to Michael. "Tess is hiding something- I haven't known her that long, but she's a terrible liar."

Michael sighed. "I know."

"Did you really see Kyle hit her?" Max questioned as his eyes narrowed on Michael.

"There's no way Kyle would ever hit her!" Maria protested and Michael nodded in agreement.

"I agree, but I saw it- there was only a few flashes, but I could have sworn it was Kyle who hurt her." Michael sighed, shaking his head.

"Or someone that looked like him-" Max began as he rubbed the back of his neck. "I know Kyle didn't do it- I saw it from Kyle's perspective."

"Are you saying what I think you're saying?" Maria gasped as she shook her head. "But, why? What did Nasedo gain from doing it this time? I mean it's not like he fooled Liz-"

"I don't know," Max groaned. "We keep this to ourselves- we have to wait until Tess confirms our thoughts."

"I don't like this," Michael grumbled, shaking his head.

"She's protecting him- we have to find out why, first." He stated as he glanced back at the bedroom door. "We wait."

"I need to go tell my parents- that, Kyle- oh what do I tell Jim about his son?" Maria groaned, turning into Michael.

"That he'll be okay," Michael whispered. "He has to be, for Tess, for us, for his father."

~

A few hours later, Tess reemerged from the room to find Michael speaking with Kyle's father. Fresh tears threatened to fall as he gazed at her. "I'm sorry," she whispered as she crossed over to them. "It's my fault-"

"Oh, Tess." Jim sighed, wrapping his arms around her frail body. "It's not your fault."

"Yes," Tess sniffed. "Yes, it is. If he didn't teleport he'd be fine."

"You were dying Tess- you wouldn't have made it that long." He whispered, holding her close. "Kyle will pull through this, he's stronger than you think."

"God, I hope so." She whimpered, her heart skipping a beat. "I don't know what I'll do without him."

"It hasn't been too long," he tried to reassure her. "He'll be fine in the morning, you'll see."

"Perhaps we should call Nasedo," Michael offered from the side and Tess visibly stiffened.

"No!" Tess gasped, turning away from Jim to face her brother. "No, please. You can't."

"He might be able to help Kyle," he stated, shrugging. "I know they weren't exactly friends but, he-"

"No," Tess interrupted, shaking her head.

"Give me a reason not to," Michael challenged, almost wanting her to respond in some manner, to confirm his suspicion.

Tess glared at him, she wanted to tell him the truth, but she didn't know how Nasedo would retaliate. "Fine, call him. Not like he'll help." She spat, crossing her arms across her chest, hoping to god that Michael wouldn't.

"I don't think we need to call him just yet," Jim stepped in. "Give Kyle some time."

Tess sighed, relaxing her stance. "He's strong." She smiled as she looked to Jim.

Jim smiled at her, squeezing her shoulder briefly as he glanced back at the bedroom. "May I see my son?" he questioned, gazing at Tess.

"Yes, of course," Tess nodded. "You don't even have to ask, he's your son."

"I'll only be a moment," he stated softly.

"Take all the time you need," she whispered as she followed him back into the room, tears stinging her eyes once more as she looked at Kyle listless form.

"Kyle," Jim exhaled as he took a seat beside his son.

"I'll give you some privacy," Tess stammered, unable to witness this just yet. Her heart aching at the sight of Jim's face- how can she even compare the loss of a child to that of a lover, her soul mate?

She turned and returned back to the living room where Michael and Maria where talking softly. Tess frowned as she realized she didn't remember seeing Maria a few minutes earlier.

"How are you feeling?" Maria questioned softly, studying her.

"Empty," Tess simply replied as she sat down on the couch, bringing her knees to her chest. She sighed as she wrapped her arms around her legs and rested her head on her knees. "Scared. What am I suppose to do?" She whispered as she glanced out the window. "How can I even go home?"

"We'll have to take one hour at a time," Maria responded hopefully. "He'll pull through-" her voice trailing off as Jim walked out of the bedroom in a rush.

"Call Max," Jim demanded, instantly alarming the three sitting in the living room.

"Why, what's wrong?" Tess gasped as she stood up, quickly crossing over to Jim. "What happened?"

"He's burning up." Jim stated gravely. "And he's having a seizure of some kind."

"Oh, Kyle," Tess murmured as she turned and ran back to the room, Maria and Michael following closely behind her. She gasped as she noted the sheen of sweat over his skin and the mild convulsions running through his body. "Oh, god-"

"I remember this," Maria gasped as she turned to Michael. "River Dog- the sweat. That's how you looked- before."

Michael's eyes widened. "How's that possible?" Michael questioned as Tess stared at them, confused.

"The sweat? River Dog?" Tess grumbled. "What are you talking about and how does that help Kyle?"

"He's out of balance," Maria whispered in awe. "We have to get everyone together- the stones."

"Out of balance?" Tess repeated, frowning. "Kyle never mentioned any of this-"

"He didn't know," Michael explained. "He wasn't a part of the group at the time, he only knows minor details about the healing stones."

"I remember him mentioning something about the stones," Tess nodded. "But, that's what heals us-"

"Exactly," Michael sighed, shaking his head as he reached for his phone on the bedside table.

"Maybe he's more alien then human now," Tess mused as she glanced once more at Kyle.

"Max healed him again, right?" Maria continued. "Maybe his whole body is out of whack, it doesn't know what the hell it is anymore. He's out of balance."

"That's possible," Tess nodded as she reached over to Kyle. "What do we have to do?"

"We need everyone together- and the healing stones." Maria whispered as she glanced at Michael talking in hushed tones on the phone.

Michael hung up the phone. "Max is on his way, Liz is with him. He was updating her on what was going on."

"And the stones?" Maria questioned and Michael frowned. "Michael, you do remember where you kept the stones?"

"It's been forever since we've had to use them," Michael grumbled as he glanced toward his closet. "Wait." He stated as he opened up his closet door and pulled out a shoe box. He lifted the lid to reveal the healing stones.

"So, this will help him?" Tess asked as she lifted one of the stones from the box.

"I hope so," Jim whispered as they glanced once more at Kyle.

TBC
Icalynn
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by Icalynn »

Thanks, Flamehair, alizaleven, imnotlc, killjoy, and Drogyn for the feedback, it keeps me writing!

Enjoy!

~ 25~

Tess held the small stone in her hand as she gazed at the one she loved in the middle of the room. He had only gotten worse over the few minutes it took to gather everyone for the healing circle. She was eager to heal him, to have him smile at her once more. It was pure agony to stand by helplessly and watch as a web like substance wrapped around him in a cocoon of sorts.

She tried to concentrate on what Max was saying, but all she could think about was Kyle and she didn't even notice as the stone began to glow in her hands. She closed her eyes briefly and took a deep breath, her eyes snapping open as she heard his voice.

'Tess,' his voice repeated in her mind and her eyes locked with his. She barely registered that they were no longer standing in Michael's apartment and that they were on a desert landscape instead. The others were standing close by, completing the healing circle and yet they felt so far away from her, from them.

Her eyes watered as they crossed to each other and he immediately pulled her into his embrace. Kyle rested his forehead on hers, holding each other close before they shared a heated kiss.

Tess reluctantly pulled away as Max neared and Kyle turned to him, greeting him. Tess watched on as Kyle interacted with everyone else that participated in the healing circle- Liz, Michael, and Maria. They slowly disappeared and soon only Kyle and Tess remained together on the desert sand.

'Love you,' Kyle's voice whispered through her mind as he kissed her once more and she stiffened at the finality of the tone as if it was the last time he'd say it.

'Love you too,' she replied clinging to him, not wanting to let him go. 'Kyle,' she stressed, kissing him softly.

~

Michael scanned the room as he shifted back to reality. He smiled as he noticed the cocoon around Kyle was thinning and literally disappearing from his body. However, his smile faltered as he turned to Tess and noticed that she was still in a trance like state.

"He's starting to get better," Liz commented, but Michael continued to focus his thoughts on Tess.

"Tess?" Michael whispered as he reached out to her and was immediately shocked as a force field shimmered around her, blocking his touch. "Max!" He called out, immediately alarmed. "Look." He gasped as he triggered the force field once more.

"What's happening?" Maria questioned as they turned their attention to Tess standing motionless to the side, holding the glowing healing stone in her hand.

"I'm not sure," Max stated as he reached out, his fingers skimming over the force field between them.

"This didn't happen with Michael," Liz stated softly. "Of course, why it happened to Kyle is still up to debate- this is all new territory for alien-human relations."

~

Tess was reluctant to leave him, knowing that she may not be able to hold him when she left his side. 'This is all in your mind,' she tried to remind herself, but it didn't stop how real it felt to have his arms wrapped around her.

'He hurt you,' Kyle stated as he pulled away. 'I couldn't stop it,' he sighed. 'I failed you-'

'No,' she corrected, running her hands over his chest. 'You risked everything to save me-"

They shared one more kiss and Kyle pulled away, 'you can't stay here any longer.'

'You're healed now-' she began hopefully, knowing deep down that something was still wrong.

'Not exactly,' he replied softly as he kissed her brow.

'But, the stones-' she insisted,

'Regained my balance,' he explained as he ran his fingers through her hair. 'My body is still too human- I need rest.'

'How long?' She questioned sharply, not sure if she could watch helplessly at his side much longer.

'I don't know.' He replied as he slowly disappeared from her sight and she blinked.

~

"No!" She cried, dropping the stone in her hands as her eyes focused once more on the familiar surroundings. "Kyle!" She gasped as she knelt down beside his body. "No." She whimpered as he remained motionless once more.

"Tess?" Michael questioned to her right. "Are you okay?"

She blinked back her tears and glanced back at him. "I'm fine, why wouldn't I be? The love of my life is in a catatonic state, for god knows how long! The stones weren't enough-"

"We should call Nasedo," Max stated and Tess stiffened at his name.

"And what can he do?" Tess groaned. "Kyle said his body is still too human. That he needed rest."

"Nasedo can't help him now," Liz spoke up and all eyes turned to her. "His body cannot maintain itself without nourishment- he needs a doctor."

"A doctor," Tess whispered, her eyes widening as she considered the ramifications.

"But, wouldn't his blood be all alien, since he's been changing?" Maria commented, shaking her head. "It would send up red flags instantly."

"My mom," Tess gasped, rubbing her hands together, her heart racing. "My mom can help. She'd help us."

"Your mom?" Jim questioned and she turned to him, forgetting that he was still present in the room. "But, you said she didn't know about you."

"I know," she nodded. "I guess it's time I tell her- it's our only hope. For Kyle."

"If that's what you want to do," Jim whispered as he reached his arm out to her and she quickly took the open invitation.

"I don't think I have any other choice," she whispered, glancing once more at Kyle before burying her face into Jim's chest, crying once more.

tbc
Icalynn
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by Icalynn »

Thank you, killjoy, Flamehair, and Drogyn for the fb!

I just hit 40,000 words on this fic, which is by far the longest fic I've written so far.... and I still have more to write!!

Enjoy!

~26~

The plan was simple. Tess would return home to speak with her mother and bring her back to help Kyle, if all went well. Tess nodded, agreeing to the plan without really saying anything. She felt drained and alone, her focus on Kyle.

She withdrew from the conversation, letting everyone else discuss the options and final details. She didn't care, she just knew that in a few hours, she'd be telling her mother the truth- and everything was dependent on her mother's response.

"Tess," Jim began softly and she blinked up at him. "It's time to go."

"Oh," she gasped as she stood up, glancing around the room at the others. Michael and Max were worried, Liz was trying to appear as though she wasn't as worried as she was, and Maria was frantic. Tess knew that they all wanted to go with her, but the timing and money wouldn't allow it.

"Call us if you need anything," Michael whispered as he wrapped his arms around her and hugged her.

"Kyle-" she began and Michael kissed the top of her head.

"We'll watch over him, he's safe." He assured her and she nodded pulling away.

"We need to go," Jim added softly. "The plane is waiting for us."

"Good thing you're sheriff," Tess added with a weak smile. "A private escort back home."

"It has a few perks," Jim smiled as he reached over and took her hand, knowing that she needed his support.

Tess squeezed his hand and glanced at everyone in the room. She opened her mouth to say something, but found that she couldn't. She smiled weakly at them and offered a small wave before she knelt down beside Kyle once more.

"I'll be back soon," she vowed as she kissed him lightly on the lips and abruptly stood up, walking out the door before anyone else could add anything else. She sucked in a quick breath, blinking back tears as she waited for Jim to follow her.

She vaguely heard Jim pledge to keep her safe from harm and to reassure the rest of the group that she would be fine. And all she could think of was that no one could help her now.

~

"Thank you," Tess whispered as Jim escorted her to her seat and she looked out the tiny window and down the old airstrip.

"You're welcome," Jim smiled as she sat in the seat across from her. "Why don't you try to rest?" he offered and she nodded absentmindedly.

She closed her eyes, almost hoping to fall asleep, but sleep evaded her as flashes of that morning attack flashed before her eyes. She gasped, her eyes snapping open.

"Tess," Jim began softly as the plane started to lift off. "Is there anything you'd like to talk to me about?"

Tess studied him briefly and then shook her head no.

Jim sighed, "I'm here when you are ready."

She nodded, smiling weakly at him, before she turned her gaze back out into the night flying by.

Tess remained quiet for most of the trip and Jim remained at her side, for any support she could use. To him she looked even more fragile than ever before.

~

The plane landed two hours later and they were ushered to a rental car. Tess waited by the car as Jim finalized the return flight. He turned and walked toward her, motioning for her to get into the passenger side.

Tess climbed into the car and buckled in, glancing at the clock as the car purred to live. "It's late," Tess began as she turned to Jim. "Should we wait until the morning?"

"That's up to you," he answered softly. "But, we can't dally too long. Kyle's waiting for us back home."

Tess nodded, sucking in a quick breath, her body running on pure adrenalin. "Okay." She exhaled. "She might be on call-" she whispered as she immediately reached for her cell phone, forgetting that she didn't have it with her.

"Would you like me to call her and see?" Jim asked as he pulled out his cell phone and she sighed with relief.

"Thanks," she nodded. "Her pager number is 555-7246."

Jim paged her and within minutes his phone rang. "Jim Valenti." He began as Tess reached for the phone.

"Mom?" She began, her voice hitching in tears.

"Oh, Angel, what's wrong?" Her mother replied and Tess sniffed.

"I need to speak to you, are you at the clinic or at home?" She questioned, her heart racing in anticipation.

"I'm at the clinic," she stated. "I was just about to close up for the night- where are you?"

"On our way," she began as she put the phone to her chest and turned to Jim. She glanced to see what street they were on and sighed with relief. "She's at the clinic- just take this road to 20th street and take a right. It's only a few blocks down, you can't miss it."

Jim nodded and Tess turned her focus back to the phone in her hand. "I love you," she whispered softly, needing to tell her how much she did. "See you soon," she added quickly, hanging up before her mother had a chance to respond.

A few minutes later, they were pulling into the Angels of Mercy Clinic. "Park in the circle lot," Tess instructed as she shifted nervously in her seat. "The clinic is pretty dead at this time of night- there should be plenty of parking."

As Jim pulled the car closer it was apparent that she was right. He parked the car closest to the door as he could and turned to Tess. "Ready?"

"No," she exhaled as her breathing hitched and tears threatened to fall once more.

"You don't have to do this," he stressed as she shook her head.

"Yes, I do." Tess sighed. "It's the only thing I can do." She whispered sadly as she unbuckled her seatbelt and got out of the car. She stared up at the clinic as she waited for Jim to join her.

"Tess," her mother called out and she turned to her, forcing a smile to her face. She took one look at her daughter and instantly frowned. "What's going on?"

Tess' smile faltered and she looked to Jim. "Mom this is Jim Valenti- Kyle's father."

"And the deputy of Roswell," Claire gasped, smiling. "Or you were, when we first met."

"Dr. Harding," Jim smiled with recognition as Tess glanced between them in confusion. "I had forgotten that we had met so long ago, and it's Sheriff Valenti now."

"Mom?" She gasped, staring at them as the shook hands as if they were old friends. "How- When-"

"Before we could make the adoption final, we had to bring you back to the county that we found you in. We had to make sure that there was no missing child report filed and fill out some other paperwork." Claire explained as Tess frowned.

"I don't remember that," Tess stated as Jim laughed, shaking his head. "What?"

"You meet Kyle that day-" he began, his eyes sparkling. "You had a play date."

"That's right-" Claire gushed. "You two were so cute. You had a picnic lunch on the front lawn and you two made a flower chain-"

"Of daisies that we dug up from the little garden out front," Tess gasped, her eyes widening as she recalled the event.

"And you were covered in mud," Claire continued, laughing. "I remember being so mad at you for destroying your new sundress, but I had never seen you so carefree and happy like that- I didn't have the heart to punish you."

"That day was the first day that Kyle laughed since his mother left," Jim added softly. "He was so solemn- he didn't want to go to anywhere without me, that's why he was in the office with me that day. To think it was also your real first date."

"I knew that I had met him before!" Tess giggled. "I can't wait to tell him-" her voice trailed off, suddenly remembering why she was there in the first place. "Oh, Kyle!"

"Did something happen to Kyle?" Claire asked as she reached out to her daughter. "Something happened to bring you here in the middle of the night."

"It's a long story," Jim stated as he glanced around them. "Maybe we should go in and discuss this in private."

"Oh, of course," Claire nodded. "Follow me."

tbc
Icalynn
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by Icalynn »

Thanks to killjoy, imnotlc, alizaleven, katydid, Fehrbaby, and Flamehair for the feedback- it really keeps me going!

Here's a quick update. Enjoy!

~27~

Claire led them down the hall and into an empty conference room, so that they could talk in private. Jim entered taking a seat and Tess sat down beside him, tucking her hands in her lap as she stared blankly at the table. Claire closed the door behind them and took her seat beside her daughter, so that they were almost sitting in a semi circle.

Silence lapsed between them as Tess tried to build up the courage to tell her mother the truth.

"Tess?" Her mother began softly and Tess' gaze snapped up to hers.

Tess took a deep breath and smiled weakly. "I'm not who you think I am," she whispered, her eyes darting between her mother and Jim. "I'm not exactly, um-" her voice trailing off as she mumbled the rest of her statement under her breath.

"Not what?" Claire prompted as she glanced between them. "Angel?"

"No," Tess groaned, shaking her head. "I'm no angel, more like alien."

"Alien?" Claire questioned softly, encouraging her to continue.

"We prefer, not of this Earth," Tess replied, watching her mother closely. She was surprised that her mother wasn't freaking out. She was simply smiling at her, tears glistening in her eyes.

"I know, Angel-" Claire whispered as she reached out to her. "I've know since they day you came into our lives."

"What? How?" Tess gasped, her own eyes filling with tears. "I- I don't understand."

She squeezed Tess' hand. "To begin the petition for your adoption, the state required a physical and routine blood work. It would have been a simple hospital visit, but you were so scared of everything. There were too many new people and the place was very daunting, I almost didn't blame you. In order to ease your mind, your father and I took you to the clinic late one night when no one else was there. I drew your blood-"

"I don't-" Tess began as she suddenly recalled the night her mother was referring too. "Daddy was trying to distract me from the needle stick with sock puppets that he made from his own socks," she continued, her voice light with laughter. "Then he gave me a lollipop as you ran my blood-" her voice trailing off as her gaze locked with her mother's. "You ran my blood. You've known about me all this time? And you didn't- and I didn't say- I didn't know. "

Claire nodded, tears in her eyes. "I've waited for this day to come- I had hoped that you would in time trust me with your secret."

Tess sniffed, glancing at Jim. "I wanted to- I was so scared, so alone. Kyle was the first to-"

"We've always loved you, Tess." She smiled. "You were always a gift from heaven to us. You were my little angel."

"I'm not sure Antar is considered heaven-" Tess snorted, shaking her head. "Oh, I can't believe you've always known- wait." Tess stopped her mouth dropping. "The pill- the meds you gave me?"

"Were made for you," Claire nodded. "It's why I spent so many of my free hours at the clinic- I've been studying your alien make up and chemistry. I wanted to be able to help you if there ever there became the need, but you've always been healthy-"

"You studied me like some lab rat?" Tess gasped, jerking her hand away as she stood up. "But, I'm your daughter."

"Teresa Marie Harding," her mother snapped and Tess stilled, staring at her. "You will sit down and show me the respect that I raised you with."

Tess sat down with a plop and continued to stare at her mother in disbelief. "I don't know what to think anymore."

"I kept you safe. I did what any mother would do to protect their child-" she sighed, sharing a glance with Jim, knowing instantly that he did the same. "I risked my career to help you. Like you have, I assume?" She questioned him.

"Yes," he agreed. "But, we aren't here to share my story."

"Of course," Claire replied, focusing her attention onto her daughter. "I assume the reason you are telling me now, is that you need my help."

Tess nodded, unable to blink back her tears. "Yes."

"Oh, Angel." She gasped as she wrapped her arms around her and hugged her. "Whatever is wrong, I will help-"

"Kyle's not well," Tess groaned as she cried into her mother's welcoming embrace. "He's in a coma- we don't know what to do. We can't take him to the hospital, you are his only hope."

"Kyle?" Claire repeated as she pulled away slightly to look into Tess' eyes. "Your boyfriend- he's like you?"

"Not exactly," Jim clarified. "He is my son, born and raised in Roswell. But he was shot and Max healed him, altering his DNA."

"Max?" Claire questioned trying to get the full picture. "Healed?"

"Max is like me," Tess whispered. "Along with two others- Isabel and my brother Michael."

"You have a brother?" Claire gasped, raising her hand to her mouth. "Oh, Angel- if I had known, I would have made sure you were raised together. Here."

Tess smiled, nodding her head. "I know."

"Where's Kyle now?" She questioned as she glanced at Jim.

"Roswell." Jim and Tess replied at the same time.

"No more talking, we can talk about this later- let's get to work." Claire nodded, pausing for a moment. "I'll have to clear my schedule, give me a few hours and we can leave."

"Thank you," Tess whispered as she threw her arms around her mother.

"Oh, Angel-" she sighed as she hugged her in response. "I'd do anything for you and for those you love. Kyle means a lot to you, even I can see that."

"He means the world to me," Tess nodded as she pulled away and glanced at Jim.

"I have no doubt," Claire smiled. "Well, let's not stand around here. I have to rearrange my schedule and break the news to your father that we'll be out of town."

"Oh, yeah." Tess gasped, her eyes widening as she realized she didn't factor her father's reaction into the mix.

"He knows all about you, Angel." She added quickly. "He loves you- I fear he'll be disappointed that he won't be able to come with us- maybe he can join us later."

"Naturally," Jim nodded, glancing at his watch. "But, we should hurry. The plane is waiting on us."

"Of course," Claire smiled. "I can meet you back here in say, two hours?"

"That's perfect," Jim agreed as he laid his hand on Tess' shoulder. "We will see you soon."

tbc
Icalynn
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by Icalynn »

Thank you, alizaleven, rowedog, Flamehair, imnotlc, killjoy, and Fehrbaby for the fabulous feedback- it really keeps me going!

I'm totally spoiling you guys... Enjoy!

~28~

Tess stood at the door to her apartment, hesitating slightly before she entered. She stepped in, her heart skipping a beat as she actually took a moment to survey the mess that remained from the day before. She trembled slightly as visions of Nasedo's attack flashed before her eyes and she turned sharply, bumping into Jim who was right behind her.

"Oh, Tess." He gasped as he looked around the room, wrapping his arms protectively around her as she started to cry. His heart ached as he realized that this was what Kyle had walked into, he couldn't image what his son had gone through. "Tess?" He urged as he forced her to look into his eyes. "Tell me what happened."

She shuddered, her eyes widening with fear. "I- I-"

"You shouldn't keep this to yourself, I can help you-"

"No, you can't-" She whispered harshly, wiping away her tears. "No force on Earth can protect me."

Jim's eyes widened at her statement, there was only one that fit that description. "Did Nasedo attack you?" Jim questioned, knowing that he was the one that they all had suspected.

"He, he," she gasped, unable to form the words to deny or acknowledge the question.

"He pretended to be Kyle," Jim supplied as he recalled Michael's conversation earlier that day.

Tess groaned in pain, her whole body shaking as she recalled every vivid detail. "He told me he didn't love me," she hiccupped. "And that he wanted to break up with me- I didn't understand. I didn't believe him- so I challenged him."

"And that's when he attacked you," Jim added, running his hand over his head. "I never thought he'd do something like this."

Tess eyes flashed dangerously in the dark night, shocking Jim as she grabbed onto his arm. "You can't tell the others."

"Tess, together we may find a way to-" He began to protest.

"No," Tess growled, shaking her head. "Not yet, not until Kyle is safe-"

"Tess." He stressed as she turned away from him and then turned back to him in grim determination.

"You don't understand," she gasped as tears rolled down her face. "I made a deal with him. It's the only reason he spared my life- he, he, threatened Kyle."

"Oh, Tess" Jim sighed, immediately torn with his duty to protect and to follow the law.

"I shouldn't have told you-" she began as she closed her eyes and he stared at her blankly. "I'm sorry," she whispered as she entered his mind and locked the memory away.

He blinked and turned around, leaving her side as he went to wait for her down in the car. She watched him sadly go as she wiped her tears away. "I'm so sorry." She gasped as she sank to the chair.

She took a deep breath and tried to compose herself, knowing she had to be strong, for Kyle, for her family. She glanced around her apartment and slowly began cleaning the mess left, knowing that her father would come over to check on things when she was gone. With a few more waves of her hand, she felt completely drained- but no one would have known anything had happened there.

Tess solemnly packed an overnight bag for both her and Kyle. She glanced once more around the apartment as she grabbed her purse and cell phone. She crossed to the door, reaching out to it as she heard Jim knocking.

"Hi," she replied, forcing a smile to her face as she opened the door.

"It's time," Jim whispered as he reached for her bag. "Tess-" he began as she slowly turned his gaze to her.

She shook her head, knowing exactly what he wanted to say. "Please, not now."

Jim sighed as he wrapped his arm around her. "You shouldn't keep this to yourself, I can help you-" he stated as he did just moments ago. She closed her eyes, pushing back the tears that threatened to fall.

"Please," she whispered, interrupting him. "I can't do this now- not when Kyle is still hurting."

Jim nodded and they slowly made their way back to the clinic. They picked up her mother and drove back to the remote airfield in silence.

The plane ride seemed shorter as they made their way back to Roswell. Tess couldn't help but smile as Jim and her mother made small talk, and she only wished that they could have met again on better terms.

"I'd like to exam Kyle before I take him into the hospital." Claire began after a short pause in the conversation.

"He's currently at Michael's." Tess replied softly, gazing out the window. "Then what?"

"I made arrangements to have privileges at the local hospital- I hope we don't have to, but I may have to have him admitted."

"What about tests?" Tess questioned softly.

"I will handle all of the testing myself," Claire replied. "I'll make sure there is nothing in the files, if there is anything to be found. Are you sure his blood work would be abnormal?"

"He has powers like us," Tess shrugged. "So, I'd assume his blood would be like ours."

"Powers?" Claire gasped, losing her professional calm. "What powers?"

"Oh," Tess gasped. "Well, as Jim mentioned earlier, Max has the power to heal."

"I was wondering about that," she nodded. "How did he heal him?"

Tess shrugged once more. "I don't know- he just can. We can manipulate the molecules of things."

"Manipulate?" She gasped, raising her brow. "How is that-"

Tess smiled as she hesitantly reached out and touched her mom's jacket and turned it from a pale yellow to a dark blue. "Like that."

"Oh, wow." Claire whispered in awe. "What else can you do?"

"We all have special powers," Tess explained, not really wanting to get into what her powers were.

"Prepare for landing," the intercom buzzed and Tess sighed with relief.

"I'm sure we'll have time to talk about this later." Tess added quickly as they started their descent. "Kyle comes first."

~

"How is he?" Tess questioned as she entered Michael's apartment with a wave of her hand.

"The same," Michael replied as he crossed over to Tess, obviously waiting up for them. "How was the trip?"

"It was fine," she smiled as she squeezed his hand, glancing back at her mother. "Michael, this is my mother- the one who has raised me."

"Hey," Michael nodded, studying her briefly.

Tess smiled, "Mom, this is my twin brother, Michael."

"It's nice to meet you, Michael." Claire smiled as she walked into the room. "I had no idea that by taking Tess to Arizona, I would be separating siblings. I didn't even to think to ask if there-"

"It's in the past," Michael shrugged, cutting her off.

"Yes, I suppose it is," Claire agreed as she glanced around the room. "Where is Kyle?"

"He's in the bedroom." Michael stated as he squeezed Tess' hand.

"Thank you," Tess whispered as she let go of his hand and led her mother into the bedroom.

"He looks as if he's just sleeping," Claire remarked as she glanced over Kyle's sleeping form.

"But he won't wake up and he doesn't respond to anything," Tess added as she stood to the side.

Claire quickly stepped into doctor mode and went about examining Kyle under the watchful eyes of her daughter. She sighed and turned to Tess. "I need to admit him to the hospital and run additional test."

Tess sighed as she reached over and ran her fingers over his arm. "Whatever you think is best."

"How long has he been out like this?" She asked and Tess blinked, glancing at the bedside clock.

"Over twelve hours," she figured as she turned to her mother.

"When was the last time he had anything to eat or drink?" Claire questioned and Tess froze.

"Oh, I don't know." Tess sighed. "He was at football practice before everything happened."

"Football practice?" She repeated. "How did he get here? It doesn't add up."

"Oh," Tess gasped. "Well, he, um, teleported- which caused this in the first place."

Claire's eyes widened. "Teleported?" She whispered. "Oh, I don't think I'm ready for all this."

Tess frowned. "But, I thought you were okay-"

"I am, Angel." She sighed. "I have had years to come to terms that my daughter was half alien- but, powers? I didn't think that was even feasible, I never noticed anything outside of your blood work. This is out of my realm of knowledge, it shouldn't be possible."

Tess laughed. "I think you should speak with Liz at some point, she's our resident scientist- and she's like Kyle. Max healed her and altered her DNA as well."

"I think I'd like that," Claire nodded. "But, first let's get Kyle to the hospital."

tbc
Last edited by Icalynn on Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Icalynn
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by Icalynn »

Thank you Flamehair, imnotlc, rowedog, and alizaleven for the feedback!

And I think a little clarification is needed. Tess did tell Jim about the attack, but she panicked and blocked it away- a modified mindwarp. I thought it was pretty clear, but based on the feedback I guess it wasn't.

Now onto the next part, enjoy. Oh, and I do use some medical jargon- if you need an explination, just let me know!

~29~

Two hours later, Kyle was seemingly sleeping in a hospital bed. Tess briefly glanced around the room, before crawling up into the bed with him. She wrapped her arms around him, needing to be close to him.

"Come back to me," she whispered as she rested her head on his chest, closing her eyes for just a moment. She didn't mean to fall asleep, but she was lulled to sleep by Kyle's steady heartbeat.

"Te-," Jim began as he opened the door, immediately stopping in his tracks as he spied Tess sleeping next to Kyle. He smiled, knowing that she needed the rest just as much as Kyle seemed to. "Sleep well," he whispered as he pulled the blanket from the end of the bed and covered them with it.

He turned the lights down and took a seat by the bedside, needing to watch over his children. He smiled at the thought, officially, thinking of Tess as one of the family.

He started to nod off himself when he heard a knock at the door and he glanced over to see Claire at the doorway. "Oh, Angel," she exhaled as she entered and closed the door behind her. She walked over to the bed and smiled at the two, ghosting her hand over Tess' head. She glanced over at Jim and smiled. "Keeping vigil I see."

"Of course," he nodded. "Kyle may be a young man, out on his own- but, he's still my son."

She nodded as she glanced back at their children. "I don't think that's hospital policy," she remarked with light laughter in her voice.

"I won't say anything," Jim smiled as he took a deep breath. "What did the tests show?" He questioned as he turned his attention back to her.

Claire sighed, rubbing the bridge off her nose. "Just by a simple neurological exam, I'd say he's brain dead." Claire began as Jim stiffened at the comment. "He's not responding to painful stimuli or to voice. His pupils are fixed and dilated, but his EEG is off the charts- he's using more of his brain than humanly possible, and his blood work is more advanced then Tess'."

"How is that possible?" Jim asked and Claire shrugged.

"I wish I could answer that," she whispered. "I'll run a few more tests, but based on all the results as it stands now, I'd say he's more advanced than he was just a few days before."

Jim nodded, unable to comprehend the news. "I see," He exhaled as he glanced over at his son. "Then why hasn't he woken up?"

"Tess mentioned that Kyle told her that he needed to rest," Claire mused. "If he is advancing as I hypothesize, then he would need to rest to give his body a chance to adapt- for how long, I don't know."

"So he could wake up tomorrow- or never?" He questioned as she nodded gravely. He exhaled slowly, trying to accept the possibility that his son would never wake up again. "What is the next step?"

"He is slightly dehydrated, so we'll supplement some fluids and hopefully he'll come out on his own-" she whispered. "I'm not sure what else to do."

"We'll just have to go one day at a time," Jim whispered as he glanced back at the two sleeping.

~

Tess yawned, jerking awake as she realized that she had fallen asleep. She sat up quickly, the bright lights blinding her as she opened up her eyes. She blinked, trying to adjust her eyes to the abrupt change.

"Morning," a cheerful voice stated and Tess turned to her right. She blinked once more, clearing her vision to see a young woman dressed in a pair of navy scrubs. "My name is Cara and I'm Mr. Valenti's nurse."

"Mr. Valenti?" Tess repeated, slightly confused as she rubbed at her eyes.

"The young man you are sleeping with-" the nurse teased and Tess gasped, flushing as she quickly pushed herself off the bed.

"Sorry about that," she whispered. "I didn't mean to-"

"It's all right," Cara smiled. "It was sweet- if I had a boyfriend as cute as yours I'd sneak into his bed too."

Tess blushed as she turned her gaze to Kyle. "He's more than just my boyfriend."

"Oh?" Cara gasped and Tess couldn't help but notice the sudden bitterness in her tone. "The only reason you were allowed to stay past visiting hours was because Sheriff Valenti and Dr. Harding thought it for the best."

Tess stiffened slightly at the reprimand. "I'll keep that in mind," she nodded as she reached out and squeezed Kyle's hand. "Is my mother around?"

"Your mother?" Cara questioned, sharply.

"Dr. Harding," Tess replied as she studied the nurse. "She's my mother."

"Oh," Cara whispered as she made a note on the clipboard she had in her hand. "No wonder they let you stay."

Tess forced herself from rolling her eyes and glanced back at Kyle. "Have you seen my mother?"

"She's resting in the on-call room," Cara explained as she turned to leave. "I'll page her."

"Thank you," Tess sighed. "Is his father-"

"He's still on hospital grounds," she continued as she opened the door to his room. "Apparently his wife was having contractions-"

"Oh, no!" Tess gasped, her eyes widening at the news. "Was she admitted? I didn't think she was due for a few more months-"

"I wouldn't know," Cara replied. "I can page him overhead, if you'd like."

"Yes, please." She nodded, needing to know Amy was all right.

"Of course," the nurse stated as she left the room.

Tess sighed and immediately dropped into the seat at the bedside. She reached out and took his hand in hers, squeezing Kyle's hand. "I hope it's just a false alarm," she whispered softly, studying Kyle for any reaction. She blinked back a fresh wave of tears as he remained motionless in the bed.

"Did you know that my parents and your dad meet years before?" Tess began to talk as she smiled at the memory. "Well, apparently my parents had to return to finish the paperwork for my adoption and guess who came with them?" She teased lightly. "Me." She giggled as she squeezed his hand. "And guess who just happened to be with his father that day?" She couldn't help but giggle. "You. We had our first date, Kyle! I didn't even remember it until our parents were talking about it, talk about, duh! I didn't tell them that the whole reason we got all muddy in the first place was because you pushed me into the flower garden and I pushed you back! Which resulted in mud and flowers everywhere- I knew you liked me."

Tess smiled as she lifted his hand to her lips and kissed it. "And I liked you too. To think we'd meet again after all those years, it was fate." She whispered as she kissed his hand once more. "Kyle, wake up. Please-" Tess' voice trailed off as she heard the door open and she glanced up to see her mother. "Mom!" She smiled as she jumped up from her seat.

"How are you feeling?" She asked as they hugged.

"Better," Tess sighed. "Sleeping helped a little- what's going on? I feel so out of the loop."

"We are going to let him rest, give him some fluids, and hope he comes out soon," she explained as she gazed over at Kyle.

Tess groaned, "I was hoping you'd have better news."

"I'm sorry, Angel." She whispered as she rubbed Tess' back.

"And did you hear about Amy, Mrs. Valenti? Is she okay?" Tess questioned as she turned her attention back to her mother. "The nurse said that she was having contractions, and she's-"

"She's fine," she assured her. "She was having some Braxton Hicks contractions. I think the news about Kyle probably stirred them on. Jim just went to take her home, I told him I'd look over his kids."

"Kids?" Tess questioned slightly confused.

"Yes," Claire smiled. "He considers you as one of his own- and I'm sure one day you'll marry his son and make it official."

Tess flushed, her heart skipping a beat at the very thought of being accepted into the family. "That's all I want."

tbc
Icalynn
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by Icalynn »

Thank you alizaleven, eric1978, killjoy, BETHANN, Flamehair, and imnotlc for the great feedback!

I'm sad to report that I don't know when I'll be able to post again. I have my PALS exam this Friday and I've yet to study and take my pretest! So, if I do good and study, then I might be able to post sooner than Friday- *crosses fingers*

Enjoy!

~ 30~

The day passed by slowly as Tess waited vigilantly by his side. Maria and Michael swung by around noon, bringing her something to eat for lunch. Max and Liz visited a few hours after that. Tess knew that they were all taking their time, checking up on her.

It was sweet, but it was starting to annoy her the longer it took for Kyle to wake up. She wasn't sure if she could watch Max attempt to heal him again and fail. She just wanted to be alone with him, but even the nurse seemed to be around every time she looked.

She groaned and glanced at the clock, she half expected Alex and Isabel to show up soon. They had been absent over the weekend, it wasn't until Maria pointed it out earlier that she had noticed- her thoughts were solely on Kyle.

"Tess!"

Tess snapped out of her inner musings and glanced up to see Isabel at the doorway. She immediately forced a smile to her face and stood up from her seat. "Hi."

"Oh, my god, how are you doing?" She questioned as she crossed over to her and hugged her. "I can't believe no one had the decency to call me and tell me what had happened! We had waited weeks and nothing and the one time we go away, bam."

"It's okay, Isabel." Tess assured her as she turned her attention back to Kyle.

"No, it's not," Isabel groaned. "Alex and I could have come back early-"

"It was your anniversary," Tess sighed. "You couldn't have done anything anyways-"

"I should have been here for you," she gasped. "For Kyle. You're family."

"Thanks, but, really it's okay." Tess smiled as she noticed Alex walking in behind her.

"Hey," Alex waved, immediately crossing over to Isabel.

"Hey." Tess acknowledged as they all turned their attention to Kyle.

"How is he?" Alex questioned softly. "We don't know much. Max was very cryptic on the phone and we drove straight here."

Tess sighed, reaching out and trailing her fingers over Kyle's. "He's resting."

"Ah, resting," Alex nodded as he glanced over Kyle and turned back at Tess. "Is that some Czechoslovakian code or something?"

"Czechoslovakian code?" Tess repeated, her brow rising in confusion. "Huh?"

Isabel rolled her eyes, "he means, is it 'Alien' in nature. Maria and Liz invited the code word so they could talk about us in public."

"I see," Tess drawled, shaking her head. "But, why Czechoslovakian?" She couldn't help but ask. "Wouldn't that be a red flag as well?"

Alex shrugged as Isabel grinned. "I've always wondered that too," Isabel added with a chuckle.

Tess smiled, turning her gaze back to Kyle. "To answer your question, we think it does, but we aren't sure."

"So, we're waiting." Alex stated and Tess nodded in agreement.

"Unfortunately, that's all we can do." Tess whispered, crossing her arms across her chest. "It's Sunday night, so it's only been 24 hours, but every hour that ticks by makes me more nervous that he won't come out of it."

"He will," Alex grinned. "It's Kyle after all."

"I hope so," Tess whispered. "Thank you both for coming by-"

"I think that's our cue to go," Alex chuckled as he wrapped his arm around Isabel.

"Are you sure we can't do anything?" Isabel questioned once more.

Tess smiled, "I wish you could."

Isabel nodded, reaching over and squeezing Kyle's arm before turning back to Tess. "If there is anything I can bring you," she added. "Just let us know."

"I will," Tess vowed. "Thank you, both."

Isabel and Alex quickly said their good byes and they were on their way. Tess sighed, feeling drained by all the visitors and by keeping up a brave front.

She took her seat beside Kyle as the nurse walked back in. "Well," Cara smiled. "Kyle must be a pretty important person to warrant so many visitors."

Tess bristled at the comment, wondering why she even wanted to know. "Yes," she replied. "He's one of the most caring people I know."

"And here I thought he was just a dumb jock," she shrugged and Tess couldn't help but stare at her.

"Excuse me?" Tess gasped and Cara laughed lightly.

"My brother was on the football team with him," she shrugged. "He had a story or two, but you can never truly relay on that."

"No, you can't." Tess grumbled. "Isn't your shift over?"

"Oh, no," Cara shook her head. "I wish, but I still have a few more hours-"

Tess tuned her out, no longer caring to speak to her. She watched as she busied herself around the room, doing nothing that actually resembled nursing care. "Are you back tomorrow?" Tess questioned out of curiosity, hoping that she'd say no.

"I wasn't," Cara replied as she crossed over to the door. "But, your mother offered the nurses a nice little bonus if we would work extra and do one to one nursing care," she explained. "And I couldn't pass that up. Mr. Valenti is one of the easiest patients I've cared for in a long time."

"Oh, of course," Tess agreed quickly, suddenly wishing her mother hadn't offered her anything.

"Is there anything you need?" She asked

"No, thank you." Tess replied as she forced a smile to her face. "We're good."

The nurse nodded and left. Tess sighed with relief as she leaned against the bed, "I thought she'd never leave."

"Who would leave?" A voice questioned and Tess stiffened, only relaxing to see that it was Amy, Mrs. Valenti. "I hope I'm not interrupting."

"Of course not," Tess smiled. "Please, take a seat- is Jim with you?"

"He's on his way," Amy laughed. "He's parking the car- I have a few contractions and he's gone over protective."

"That's probably what makes him such a good Sheriff," Tess added with a wink and Amy laughed once more.

"That's not the half of it," Amy smiled as she rubbed her rounded abdomen. "Did we ever tell you how we meet?" She questioned and Tess shook her head no. "Well-" she began as she went on to tell her more than one story.

Tess relaxed, fully enjoying Amy's stories, including a few of her brother and her daughter. For a second, Tess forgot why they were sitting in that hospital room, and for a moment it was enough.

tbc