Cinderella can kiss my ass!! (Polar / Adult) (Complete)

This is the gallery for the winners of the fanfic awards to show off their fics, and their banners!

Moderators: Itzstacie, Forum Moderators

polar4eva
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Cinderella can kiss my ass!! (Polar / Adult) (Complete)

Post by polar4eva »

WInner Round 11

Disclaimer

Title: Cinderella can kiss my ass
Rating: Polar Smut (Maybe more later)
Disclaimer: The characters of "Roswell" belong to Jason Katims, Melinda Metz, WB, and UPN. They are not mine and no infringement is intended."

Summary: Our favourite group has managed to make it to Antar and are fighting against Kivar and his army. Conflicts have resulted in the group being split and intrigues forming.

Liz lay in the opulent room. It was bathed in darkness and the normally beautiful features of the room seemed threatening. The bed was the size of a Queen bed so there was ample space for her small form. Tossing and turning she tried in vain to fall asleep.

Every night. There was no difference. If she was dog tired she would still lie and wait for hours until sleep claimed her.

Her Grandma Claudia always said that sleep never comes easy to those with a heavy mind or a heavy heart.

Liz had both.

The sound of the door opening caused her to close her eyes and still her movements. She listened to the soft padding of feet, the noise of clothes being thrown on a chair and the usual sounds of a nightly bathroom routine. Those sounds never changed.

It brought her a small measure of comfort.

The duvet on the other side of the bed was pulled back and another warm body entered the bed. Still feigning sleep Liz listened to the noises from the other person attempting to find a comfortable position. Like clocklwork he was asleep in seconds.

Her Grandma's words came back to haunt her.

A heavy heart or a heavy mind...

Turning quietly she looked at his silhouette. She listened to him breathe and sigh. The faint scent of perfume wafted over to her side of the bed.

... apparently he had neither.
Last edited by polar4eva on Mon May 28, 2007 4:57 pm, edited 23 times in total.
polar4eva
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by polar4eva »

Thanks to all those who voted - sorry about the delay. Thanks to KarenEvans for beta-ing!!!

Liz woke early the next morning and saw the shaggy hair on the pillow beside her. Michael was still asleep; usually he woke before her and she didn’t see him all day.

Must have been tired out yesterday, she though bitterly.

Liz went to the bathroom and climbed into the shower. Mentally suppressing the overwhelming sadness she seemed to feel constantly; she shampooed her hair and washed her body clean.

After finishing her morning routine in the bathroom she dressed quietly and went through to the kitchen to order some breakfast. Sitting at the kitchen table with the household staff she set out a menu for that day including when meals were to be delivered to Michael in his study.

After eating breakfast she stood on the balcony and breathed deeply. This was the only time of day that she actually liked this damned planet. It was quiet and peaceful and once again Liz made the decision to ignore what she knew was going on behind her back and just pretend that everything was ok.

Thinking back she was always amazed as a child how Maria could convince her of just about anything. She believed with her heart and soul and saw what she wanted to see; castles, forts, unicorns and aliens.

Quickly brushing all thoughts of Roswell away from her mind she sat down. There really wasn’t anything for her to do. She spent her day as she did every other…trying to learn the language. She would point and her staff would tell her what the word was; it involved a lot of mime but it was the only way she was going to learn.

After a long and uneventful day Liz decided to check in on Michael. There was no sound coming from his study so she pushed the door open slightly and peered in. She was always reluctant to enter his study. Michael had made it clear in the past in no uncertain terms that this was his private domain.

Standing shadowed in the doorway Liz saw them standing in front of Michael’s desk in a passionate embrace. Michael cupped the woman’s face gently and kissed her fervently. He slowly stripped her of all of her clothing and laid her on his desk. Removing his own clothing he proceeded to make love to her.

Blinded by shock and nausea Liz stumbled to her bedroom. She felt sick. Denial wasn’t going to work anymore. She tried to pull herself together as she entered her bathroom and sat down at the vanity mirror.

Tears streamed down her face. Her hands were clenched in tight fists and her body was shaking. He had promised! It didn’t make any difference but she thought that that had meant something.

When the eight of them had arrived on Antar the Royals had been informed that they had to marry. After much shouting and many refusals; they realized that there was no other option. Antar worked on a very delicate balance. Everything was symmetrical and very precise.

Isabel and Kyle had been dating and they paired off. Their wedding had been an elaborate affair, exactly as Isabel had planned since she was a little girl. Maria and Max confessed that they had been having a secret relationship for months and wanted to get married. Relations between Max, Maria, Liz and Michael were still frosty. Alex and Tess followed soon afterwards. Their marriage was not one of passion but of companionship and mutual admiration.

Michael on the other hand had not been so easily dealt with. His family had attempted to pressure him into marrying a family friend who was deemed suitable. Michael had balked at the idea of marrying a complete stranger. Liz had never had any illusion that Michael proposed to her out of any affection but out of a need for a wife.

He had knocked on her door late one evening and asked to speak to her. After a long and rambling speech Liz finally managed to get him to confess the real reason for his visit. She was unsurprised; Kyle had already told Liz that he suspected Michael’s intentions. He had been very honest and sweet. He had not promised her any grand like love or devotion but he had promised her honour and respect. Liz saw that Michael was effectively laying himself bare before her and consented to marry him. Their wedding had been a small and private affair.

He promised to honour me! She mentally ranted. He promised to respect me!

She didn’t need to guess who the woman was. It was always her. Very few women were accepted into the army. They had to be exceptional soldiers and she was. Alina! Her family was supposed to be very prestigious and she was appointed Michael’s second in command.

Tears were marking her dress as she struggled to quiet her sobs. She had no family here. Maria and Max had betrayed her. She would have been happy for them had they not lied to her about their relationship. Alex naturally sided with Maria as did Kyle out of loyalty to his step sister. Liz and Michael had been isolated for months. She had nobody to talk to.

The sounds of the bathroom got louder and louder. Liz covered her ears to try and stop the din. Her breathing echoed loudly off of the walls and panic set in. She didn’t want this. She wanted it to stop. She wanted it all to end.

Liz took a deep breath and opened the drawer to her right. Her fingers grasped a knife that was buried underneath a mountain of other toiletries. She held the heavy metal in her hands for a few moments in shock. She remembered putting the knife in the drawer. It had been intended for her safety. If anything happened and the house was attacked she could run and get the knife and protect herself. Sitting at the vanity the reason sounded pretty thin to her ears. Maybe it was subconscious?

Working on autopilot Liz took the knife and cut into her left wrist. She bit her lips and winced in pain. Changing hands she repeated the action on her right wrist. Another lump formed in her throat as she realised that she would never get a chance to see her parents again. The knife slipped out of her bloody fingers and slid to the floor. She began to feel light headed not only from the blood loss but also from the smell of the blood.

Suddenly a large body embraced her from behind and two huge hands encircled her wrists. Liz was too unaware of what was going on to struggle against the intruder. She could feel a tingle in her wrists as her cuts were healed. Looking up into the mirror Liz saw a face she had never seen before. It was a kind face with sympathetic eyes. He was classically handsome with a compassionate air about him.

“Why did you do that?” Liz asked before thinking.
“For you to die would be a great waste.” He replied in unaccented English. His voice was soothing and quiet.
“Who are you?” Liz asked. She was still wrapped in his arms and truth be told she didn’t want to move. She felt a bit stupid for her hero worship but at that moment in time he was her white knight.
“I am here to give you an opportunity to end this war.” He stated in a deep voice.
“Me?” Liz asked puzzled.
“I believe you have the ability.” He replied.
“Who are you?” Liz asked a sudden feeling of dread crashing down.
“My name is Kivar.”
polar4eva
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by polar4eva »

Thanks to all of those who have left feed back! I am so glad that people like this story.

Liz sat in shocked silence for several moments before she panicked and began to fight against him. She tried in vain to pull her arms away from him but he continued to hold her tightly. A scream of fear tore from her throat but was muffled by Kivar’s hand.

“I need you to calm down and trust that I am not going to hurt you.” Kivar whispered into her ear.

Liz was deaf to his pleas and continued to beg for him to release her. All of the sounds out of her mouth were muffled but Kivar understood her.

“Elizabeth, I am not going to hurt you. I give you my word. If I remove my hand and release you will you promise to be calm?” Kivar questioned.

Liz nodded and Kivar removed his hand. His hand was wet with tears but Liz kept her promise and calmed down. She moved away from Kivar and sat on the edge of the tub. She tried to calm her breathing and clasped her hands together tightly in an effort to appear more in control.

“If my intention was to hurt you then you would have felt those effects by now.” Kivar reasoned.
“That doesn’t really give me much reason to trust you, does it?” Liz replied quietly. “You would be willing to hurt me to get what you want…”
“Yes, I would.” Kivar replied. “My ambitions take precedence over everything.”
“What are your ambitions?” Liz asked. “And how do they include me?”
“Of all of the earthlings; you are in the best position to help me. And I believe you will help me after I give you my word that none of your friends will die.” Kivar replied.
“If Max is still alive then you can’t be King.” Liz reasoned. “To become King you would have to hurt him… kill him.” Liz’s lower lip trembled as she tried to not cry. She was terrified but wanted to understand what was happening.

Kivar just smiled.

“Your position in the inner circle gives you access to a great deal of information. Your intellect is renowned and perhaps most fortunate, or unfortunate in your case, you are not the most central member of the group anymore. Your ability to move around without arousing suspicion or having to explain anything to anyone will be most beneficial.” Kivar stated in a condescending tone.
“Basically, because Michael doesn’t give a shit about me I can do what I want and when I want without anyone caring.” Liz spat back.
“It is a convenient situation.” Kivar replied in a soothing tone.
“You still haven’t told me what it is that you want from me.” Liz stated. She was beginning to feel more and more insecure about her current position. She was under no illusion that she could defend herself against Kivar or that Michael would come to her rescue.
“You can access the archives and I want you to research something for me.” Kivar revealed.
“What? What could possibly be in the archives that could help you?” Liz asked.
“The answer to a riddle.” Kivar responded.

Liz’s jaw dropped slightly.

“The answer to a riddle?!” Liz stuttered. “That’s what you want?”
“It is not quite that simple; but yes. That’s what I want you to do and make no mistake you will do it. It is important and I cannot stress that too much.” Kivar stated firmly as he rose. “I think that I have taken up too much of your time.”

He reached for her shoulder and pulled her with him as he exited the bathroom. Liz followed him, her mind too confused to protest. She was surprised to be pulled out onto the terrace. Kivar stopped and looked at her with an odd look in his eye.

“I understand your confusion and I am in no-way surprised by your distrust of me. But I believe that you are my best hope so I am willing to do anything it takes to ensure your participation in my research.” Kivar stated.
“I can barely speak Antarian, how am I supposed to research anything?” Liz asked.

Placing his fingers on her temples Kivar used his powers to enter Liz’s mind and give her the ability to speak and understand Antarian. Kivar’s invasion of her mind left her a little dizzy. He was still invading her personal space but she was too disoriented to notice.

“For my part I don’t understand your husband at all.” Kivar moved even closer to Liz and brushed her lips with his fingers. “Your intelligence is equally matched by your beauty.”

Grabbing both of her shoulders Kivar planted his lips on hers and kissed her passionately. Unaware of what she was doing, Liz responded to the pleasurable assault on her lips. After a few moments Kivar broke the kiss. With sudden realisation Liz stepped back in horror and covered her mouth with her hands.

“Take this.” Kivar demanded as he held out a slip of paper. He pressed it into her hand and walked away into the darkness.

Liz took a minute to gather herself together and opened the slip of paper.

THE PATHWAY OF THE STARS LIES IN THE EYES OF THE KING

Feeling very confused Liz walked back into the house with the need to lie down and try to process what had just happened. As the doors to the terrace closed a figure stepped out of the shadows on the other side of the terrace.

In deep confusion and with a worryingly heavy heart Michael walked towards his study.
polar4eva
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by polar4eva »

Thanks again for all the wonderful feedback!

Merry Christmas!

Michael sat down at his desk and pondered the situation. Liz was involved with somebody… but whom? Unsure of how he felt about the events he had just witnessed, Michael jumped into protection mode. The guy could be a threat! That was his biggest concern. Somebody could be using her to get to him.

His mind continued to whirl as he created more and more dangerous scenarios in his mind. A knock at the door startled him from his thoughts. He gave permission for his guest to enter. A shimmering halo entered his study with a predatory grin.

All panic left Michael’s body as he grabbed her wrist and pulled her over to the desk. His lips crushed hers as he proceeded to remove her clothing and position her on his desk. As her fingers unbuttoned his shirt not a single thought in his head was focused on his wife lying in their bed along the corridor.

The next day Liz rose to an empty room and proceeded to get dressed. She tentatively placed the note Kivar had given her into her pocket. With a final determined sigh she walked out of her room and down the hall to the front door. She turned to the footman and asked in fluent Antarian for a transport to take her to the archives.

Less than twenty minutes later Liz was standing outside of the small library with feelings of trepidation simmering in her stomach. She pushed open the door and entered the dusty room. There was the same old book smell in the dark archives as there had been in libraries back on Earth. It was comforting in a way.

Without a clue of where to start Liz walked around the shelves running her fingers over the dusty tomes. She was suddenly startled by an old man who popped up behind her demanding to know what she was doing.

Answering in perfect Antarian Liz, after a moment to compose herself, replied that she was doing research on Antarian history at the request of the King to further their understanding of the planet. The curator seemed satisfied with that answer and merely requested that she be careful when handling the books.

Liz called after him as he left asking him for advice on where she would find the latest books; figuring that Kivar’s riddle had to only date back a few generations. There were only ten stacks but each was filled with at least thirty books. It was an enormous task and one that seemed increasing impossible.

Later that day, Liz was sitting out on the terrace in the evening sun reading one of the tomes she had borrowed. It was tough reading; she could understand all of the words but the syntax and the grammar were another story.

A slight cough startled her from her intense scrutiny. She jumped about a foot in the air before she realised that it was Michael standing in the doorway.

“What?” Liz demanded in a harsh tone. Composing herself after her fright she spoke again. “You startled me! What do you want?”
“We are going to dinner tonight with the others.” Michael replied.
“Have fun. I’m not going.” Liz retorted in surprise.
“Yes you are.” Michael returned. “Consider it a command performance.”
“Question. Am I supposed to curtsey after you give me a command?” Liz shot back with barely disguised venom in her voice. “I have no intention of speaking to any of them so I am not going.”
“There is no choice here, Liz!” Michael practically yelled. “I don’t want to go but I have to so therefore you have to. Consider it one of the perks of being married to me.”
“There are perks?” Liz retorted.

Michael glared at her and turned on his heel.

“Formal dress!” He called back over his shoulder.

Stamping her foot in anger, Liz picked up her book and stormed into her room. Dumping the book on her bed Liz walked over to her wardrobe and began looking for something to wear. She turned and found a beautiful gown in soft lavender. She removed the dress from the hanger and changed clothes. As she was about to leave she noticed a folded slip of paper on the floor. Picking it up, she read it. With fury in her eyes Liz stormed out of her room and towards the front door.

Liz was moodily silent the entire journey to dinner. Michael wasn’t about to initiate conversation and the only sound in the air was the hum of the motor. The exited the transport silently and entered the palace silently. They were ushered into the dining room to find everyone already seated. All motion and conversation halted as two servers seated Liz and Michael on opposite sides of the table. Max sat at the head of the table with Maria to his right. Next to Maria was Alex and Liz was seated next to him. Kyle sat at the bottom of the table with Tess on his right. Michael was seated in between Tess and Isabel.

It took several minutes for the conversation to start flowing again; as Alex continued a humorous story he had started before Liz and Michael entered. Whilst it was funny it didn’t have the impact that it would have had before.

“So, Michael how was your week?” Max asked in a friendly tone.
“Unproductive.” Michael replied in a sullen tone.

Everyone at the table shifted uncomfortably. The only sound was cutlery scraping against plates. The conversation was sporadic and light. Just as desert was arriving Maria gathered the courage to speak to Liz.

“So Liz, what is it that you do during the week?” Maria asked.
“You’ll have to ask Michael.” Liz returned coolly. She thought back to the note she had found in her wardrobe. “He’s having me followed so surely he knows all of my movements.”

Liz pushed her seat back and rose from the table.

“By the way, your men need a little bit more training if they are so easily spotted. If you will excuse me, I’m not hungry.” Liz turned and stormed out of the room.

Back at her room Liz removed her dress and changed into her pyjamas. She grabbed her book and walked through to the living room. She snuggled down on the sofa and pulled a blanket over her. She opened the book to her book mark, the note from Kivar warning her that Michael was having her followed, and continued to read.

After turning a few pages she stopped dead. Feelings of confusion trickled over her as her brow creased. A completely new angle had formed in the last few moments. And it made less than no sense. Lying back into the sofa Liz closed the book and laid it on the floor.

Michael came home later after an excruciatingly long dinner. His mind had tried to figure out how Liz knew she was being followed. He did not trust whoever it was Liz was involved with. He could be dangerous to the group. He walked straight into the bedroom and was surprised to discover it empty. Walking through the hall Michael pushed all of the doors open until he found a light in the living room. He walked over to the couch and found Liz sleeping under a blanket.

Torn as whether or not to leave her there he finally decided to not disturb her sleep. He returned to the bedroom, stripped and slipped under the duvet. He closed his eyes and tried in vain to sleep. He tossed and turned for over an hour before he gave up.

Rising from the bed he walked through the hallway and down to the living room. He crept up to Liz and gently lifted her from the couch. Liz’s arm snaked around his neck as she snuggled into his bare chest. Michael felt a shiver as the silky fabric of her nightie caressed his skin.

He carefully carried her to the bedroom and placed her on her side of the bed. Wrapping the sheets around her he walked around the bed and climbed into his side. Within minutes he was fast asleep.
polar4eva
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by polar4eva »

Hope all of you had a merry christmas and will have a happy new year!

Liz once again rose to an empty room. Michael was gone; where she didn’t know. She walked into the bathroom and stripped before entering the shower. After lathering her hair she started for a second as she realised that she had fallen asleep on the sofa but had woken up in the bed. Realising that Michael must have carried her through to their bedroom caused her to panic. She quickly rinsed her hair and towelled herself dry. Wrapping the towel around her still damp body she walked through to the living room.

Water from her hair trickled down her body and left water spots on the floor. Liz felt relieved when she found the book in the same position she had left it the night before, with Kivar’s note acting as her bookmark. Returning to her room she finished drying her body and styling her hair. Dressing in comfortable clothes Liz positioned herself on the terrace under the morning sun and opened her book.

She opened the book to the page that had startled her the night before. The book was hundreds of years old but it was definitely Kivar’s face staring back at her from the off white page. How was it possible? A family resemblance couldn’t account for the carbon-copy image she was looking at. Deciding to put her current puzzle aside for the moment Liz continued to read the book. After learning more than she ever wanted to know about the tax reforms and the grain reforms of the Antarian government over the last four hundred years Liz gave up for the day.

Feeling hungry she wandered through to the kitchen to make herself something to eat. After sitting down at the counter with her food platter Liz heard the sound of the door opening. Assuming that it was one of the kitchen staff she continued to eat.

“Enjoying your meal?” A female voice inquired.

Confused about hearing someone speak English Liz turned around and came face to face with the women she least wanted to ever meet.

“Yes, thank you Alina.” Liz replied coolly. “What can I do for you?”
“I was looking for your husband.” The word ‘husband was said with disdain. “I felt the need to ‘confer’ with him.”
“I don’t know where he is but when I see him I will tell him that you are desperate to see him.” Liz returned trying to smile; but it was difficult trying to get her jaw unclenched.
“I wouldn’t get used to having him around if I were you.” Alina stated as she began to eat from Liz’s plate.
“And why not?” Liz asked with false concern.
“You never know when he may need to suddenly leave you…” Alina replied smugly. “He is very important after all.”
“Really?” Liz stated unhappy that she couldn’t think of a better retort. She wanted nothing more than to punch the harpy in the face but she was outmatched. Alina was a soldier. “I am sure that working girls, such as yourself, in the army will make sure that he is well taken care of.”
“We have an old saying in Antarian.” Alina replied with thinly veiled anger. “I’m sleeping with your husband.” Alina said proudly in Antarian.

Liz was stunned that Alina would ever say something like that but she knew that Alina would have never said it if she knew that Liz understood Antarian. Gathering all of her courage Liz plastered a smile on her face and rose turning to face Alina.

“Good!” She answered in perfect Antarian, delighting in the stunned look on Alina’s face. “Men are so tricky you really have to run them for ten thousand or so miles before you know they are reliable! You are really saving me a lot of trouble!”

Leaving Alina with a confused look on her face Liz walked out of the kitchen and back to the living room where she was determined more than ever to answer the riddle and beat that bitch. If the war was over Alina would have no reason to be around her home and her husband. Liz walked back to the terrace and resumed reading her book. She was almost finished and the only thing she had found of value was the picture of Kivar.

Three weeks later Liz was finished reading all but one of the books. Her eyes were constantly tired and her mind was eternally running over the facts that she had read trying to capture the elusive answer to the riddle. She had not seen anything of Alina since their meeting in the kitchen. Tonight she was due to go to a banquet in honour of the Royal Four. It was the anniversary of their fall from power and was to be celebrated for their return.

Tonight would be the first time that Liz would see Max and the others since the dinner she had walked out on. Michael still hadn’t asked her how she knew she was being followed nor had he explained his actions. Things had returned to what passed for normal and the only times that Liz saw Michael were in the morning and evening in bed. Few words were ever spoken and if Michael knew of her conversation with Alina he did not reveal it.

With a sigh Liz opened the last of the tomes. Skimming her eyes over the first few pages she tried to pick out words such as ‘pathway’ ‘stars’ or ‘king’. After the first few pages she closed the book. This was the most ridiculous thing she had ever done. Her head was full of information about Antar before the reign of Zan’s dynasty.

Antar and the four other planets in the alignment were all ruled by a higher class of being called the ‘trolds’ or ancients as they would be called in English. These ancients had been similar to the Greek Gods on Mount Olympus who had controlled all aspects of life for the Antarians and native people on the other planets. Crops, weather, seasons and peace all lay in the hands of the ancients. They possessed the power and created store houses of knowledge to solidify their absolute power. They seemed despotic but as Liz always remembered from her history classes history is written by the victors.

Zan’s ancestor started a revolution amongst the people of Antar and managed to secure one of the stores of information – the granolith. That at least explained the significance of the granolith and why it was sent to Earth with the Royal Four. They were supposed to access the information stored in the granolith and learn who they were and how to get home. Unfortunately none of them had figured it out and it had taken a rescue ship from Antar for the royals to return.

That was as much information as Liz had been able to obtain from the books. Granted she still had one to read but it didn’t look good. She needed to speak to Kivar and understand why he had started this war. Why was the information in the tomes so important? What did he want her to figure out? A riddle? How could the answer to a riddle be so important?

Groaning in frustration Liz set the book on the floor. She looked out of the window and was surprised to see that the sky was darkening. Looking at her watch she was startled at how late it was. She needed to get dressed for the ball. Michael had muttered something about a masquerade. Liz though it was the dumbest idea she had ever heard and knew that Isabel had had something to do with it.

She found a box on her bed with a note from Isabel attached. Opening it up she found a mask; it was black and trimmed with white lace. It was the ugliest thing Liz had ever seen so she pulled the lace off. All she was left with was a black mask. It seemed quite plain. Walking through to her bathroom she searched through her drawer for her nail tip whitening pencil. Closing her drawer she was about to leave the bathroom when she noticed her knife sitting in front of her mirror. It had disappeared after her… attempt and she hadn’t seen it since. Not that she really wanted to. She picked it up gently and turned it over in her hands. Written on the blade in black ink was a message from Kivar.

For self defence and self defence only.

Replacing the knife in the drawer Liz left the bathroom with a small smile on her face. Took the nail pencil and started to draw different sizes of stars on her mask. It was the strangest thing. She had never found Kivar frightening. Her first encounter with him had not been frightening but startling. He was kind. He valued her. It was nice.

Looking down at her mask Liz realised that amongst the stars she had drawn the letter K.
polar4eva
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by polar4eva »

Thank you for all of the wonderful feedback - my beta Karenevans is in the process of moving house so I hope any mistakes will be forgiven.

Michael dressed for the masquerade wearing a traditional suit and carrying his plain white mask in his hand. Liz had entered the dressing room about forty minutes earlier and Michael was getting sick of waiting for her.

“Liz!” He spoke loudly. “Are you even ready yet?”
“One minute.” Liz’s muffled reply came through the closed door.

Michael began counting to sixty slowly in his head. He hated this. It started out with him waiting for Isabel to get ready for school then the hours that he spent waiting for Maria. His body shuddered just thinking about it. Now Liz! It was never ending!

Just before he reached forty-five he heard the door open. With frustration he turned to Liz prepared to glare at her but found himself unable to.

“Sorry about the delay but I’m ready to go now.” Liz said an arctic voice.

Michael felt an uncomfortable flutter in his stomach. He turned away from her and gruffly demanded that she follow him out to their transport. Their journey was silent and highly uncomfortable… at least for Michael. He kept having to turn his head away from her.

What the hell? He panicked.

Their transport dropped them off at the entrance to the palace and departed again to make room for the other guests to enter the masquerade. Michael instinctively offered Liz his arm. After a moments hesitation Liz accepted and the couple walked up the entrance steps and through the door. Acknowledging people with a nod or smile as the passed; Liz and Michael walked up the grand stair case and towards the garden where the masque was being held.

They walked out onto a balcony to make an entrance before descending the intricately carved stone steps that led from the first floor to the ground floor. As they paused at the top of the steps to survey the colourful splendour below them both noticed that it seemed to become quieter. Faces turned to look at them.

Liz was uneasy about their gazes but rationalised that it was because of Michael. As second in command to the King he was a man of influence and power and knowing how much he hated crowds it was probably one of the few times that people had seen him.

Michael was under no illusion that the people below were looking at him. They were looking at his wife. Her brilliant white dress clung to her breasts and hips with precision but dropped to the floor in waves. The sleeves were made of delicate lace and the contrast of the white against her olive skin made her glow. Her mask covered her upper face and her curled hair was partially up as the rest fell down her back. She looked beautiful.

The uncomfortable flutters got more persistent as Michael guided Liz down the steps. They reached the ground and walked through the crowds of people bowing their heads in reverence of their positions.

Liz walked through the throng of people with ease, completely unconcerned believing that all of the attention was focused on Michael.

Michael’s posture became more and more stiff. He did not like all of this attention. Years of hiding in plain sight were difficult to over come. Michael had spotted the other royals from the balcony and he was steering them towards the reserved seating area. He quickened his pace and quickly arrived at the designated royal box.

“Michael.” Isabel stuttered in happy panic. “I didn’t expect to see you here.”
“Max made it pretty clear that we were expected to attend.” Michael returned indifferently.

He turned to see Liz sitting off to the side. Her face was turned towards the dance floor. She had a pensive look on her face. Max saw the look in Michael’s face as he watched his wife. It was one of uncomfortable admiration. Max wanted to mend the rift between the four of them so he approached Liz.

“How have you been?” Max asked.

Liz looked at Max with a curious look on her face.

“Max, would you care to dance?” Liz asked as she rose from her seat.

With a quick look at Michael, Max agreed and led Liz out onto the dance floor. The other couples on the floor made room for the King and his beautiful dance partner. Max slipped his arm around Liz’s waist and gently held her right hand in his. The two began to waltz around the floor.

Michael watched Max dance with his wife. He was not happy. He watched Liz’s eyes look upwards and gaze into Max’s eyes. Michael’s fists clenched at his sides.

Liz’s mind was whirring as she looked up into Max’s eyes. In the eyes of the King… She had looked into Max’s eyes on many occasions in the past but she had never seen anything that could remotely answer Kivar’s riddle. The pathway of the stars. In the King’s eyes?

“Is something wrong?” Max asked nervously. Liz’s gaze wasn’t one of affection. It was measures and full of concentration.

“Nothing.” Liz answered as she was startled back to reality. “It’s uh just been a while since I have seen you.”

Liz pulled away. She gave Max a small smile before walking off of the dance floor. She walked towards the hedge maze and out of sight. Max walked around the couples still on the floor and joined the others at the royal box.

“What did you say to her?” Michael demanded.
“I didn’t say anything.” Max retorted in anger.

Michael stormed off in the direction that Liz had taken.

Liz had realised how foolish she looked gazing into Max’s eyes and had decided to make a hasty retreat. She had spotted the high hedges and decided to hide for a while. She had turned two corners before she spotted him.

Kivar.

He smiled at her and beckoned her over. Feeling relaxed for the first time that evening Liz walked over to Kivar with a smile on her face.

“You have made progress with my challenge?” Kivar asked pleasantly.

“Not much.” Liz confessed. “I have read through all of the books but I need more information from you. There is nothing in any of the books about a pathway.”

Without any warning Kivar’s arm shot out and grabbed Liz by the throat. He pushed her against a fence post and increased the pressure on her neck. Liz’s eyes widened in fear. Her hands rushed up to her throat and clawed at Kivar’s arms.

“I have given you all of the information you are going to get. You will give me the answer.” Kivar demanded. His eyes had turned black and his face turned red.

Liz struggled against his hands as she tried to tell him that she didn’t have the answer.

“I have killed before and I will kill again.” Kivar said conversationally. “One of my favourite methods is drowning. The lungs filling up with water as the victim tries to scream for help. The sound… that indescribable sound of anguish. It would be such a pity to hear that sound from your beautiful mouth.”

Liz could feel her body convulsing. She tasted water in her throat and knew that Kivar was somehow filling her lungs with water. Her eyes were dimming and her body giving up. It was in her last few seconds of consciousness that she saw Michael running towards her.
polar4eva
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by polar4eva »

Thank you thank you thank you one and all who have left me feedback! Once again this piece has been un-beta'ed (wanted to leave Karenevans in peace for a while to settle in) This is for nusta - she knows what it means!

Michael had followed Liz into the hedge maze but instead of turning right like she did he turned left. Realising that he had taken the wrong path Michael returned to the entrance of the maze and took the other passageway. He heard a low voice and followed the sound. He was stunned to see Liz at the mercy of a tall man. He called out for the man to let her go. By the time Michael had reached Liz the man had disappeared into the maze and Liz had slumped to the grass.

Michael hesitated for a moment. Should he stay with Liz or go after the man who had attacked her? A quick look at Liz provided the answer, she wasn’t moving. Michael knelt down on the ground and pulled Liz to him. He supported her weight with one arm and turned her face towards him with his free hand.

“Liz.” Michael called out gently. “Open your eyes.”

She didn’t move. Michael lowered his face to hers with worry. She wasn’t breathing. Michael lowered her to the ground and tilted her head back. He opened her mouth and lowered his lips to hers. Pinching her nose he forced breath into her lungs. Sitting up slightly he detected no movement.

Michael’s heart thundered in his ears. He placed his fingers on her throat and tried to find a pulse. Liz’s body suddenly convulsed as she expelled the water from her lungs. Michael pulled her to him with her back pressed against his chest so she could cough up the liquid.

Liz gasped and cried out in pain and confusion. Her body was being confined and she was frightened. A soft voice whispered in her ear that she was safe. She felt a pair of soft lips against her ear as the voice continued to comfort her.

Liz’s mind and body were exhausted. Her eyes fluttered closed as she slipped into unconsciousness. Michael breathed a sigh of relief as he lifted Liz into his arms and discreetly left the party. He walked around to the servants’ entrance and used the back passageways to get to his room.

Before any of them had been married they had all lived together in the palace. Michael noticed that nothing had changed in the room since he was last in it. He placed Liz gently on the bed and entered the bathroom. Pulling at the buttons of his stupid suit he allowed himself to calm down. His blood was still boiling and his hands were shaking slightly after the adrenaline rush of trying to get Liz to breathe again.

Michael turned on the tap and let the cold water pour into the ornate basin. He splashed the icy water on his face in an attempt to gain some clarity. Something was very wrong. Michael dried his face and took a deep breath. After a moment he released the breath and angrily threw the towel across the bathroom.

Of course something was wrong! He thought furiously. A man had just tried to kill Liz! Not just any man, though. The same man he had seen her kissing on their terrace!

“What the hell is going on?” He whispered out loud.

Ever since he had tried to delve into his prior life his mind had felt cloudy. He had no idea why but something was not right. He hadn’t spoken to the others about how much they remembered about their former selves but he remembered little. A lot was going on that he knew nothing about… and most of it seemed to involve Liz.

Walking out of the bathroom Michael walked over to the bed and sat down next to Liz’s prostrate body. He took her hand in his and gently traced her fingers. A dark bruise was starting to form on her neck and Michael could still see the tear tracks on her face.

“What are you up to?” He asked her.

Michael walked around the bed and lay down next to Liz. He pulled her to him and snaked an arm under her body and rested his palm on her stomach. Her curled hair tickled his face as he breathed in her scent. He had no idea what had happened or even how it had happened but Liz stirred something in him.

He had been so busy. All he seemed to do at the moment was work. Not that there ever seemed to be that much that he accomplished. Commanding an army was a full time job and one that he would happily hand over to someone more qualified.

Pulling Liz closer to him, Michael tried to switch off his brain. He could still hear the muffled sounds of the party going on in the distance as they slowly faded and Michael fell asleep.

It was the next morning before he woke and only because Liz had moved. Michael opened his eyes after he heard her whimper.

“It’s alright.” Michael soothed. “You’re safe.”
“Michael?” Liz croaked in confusion.

Liz was in a lot of pain and really confused. Where was she? She certainly wasn’t at home. Why was Michael with her? What had happened? Reaching up to her throat Liz winced as she remembered the events of the previous night.

“Don’t talk.” Michael commanded. “I’d imagine that hurts a lot.”

Liz nodded in agreement. She turned in Michael’s arms to face him. Using her eyes and hands to communicate she asked Michael where they were.

“We are in my old room in the palace.” He answered understanding her. “Can I try to heal you?” Michael asked quietly.

Liz was surprised that he would even consider it. Michael was never one to use his powers and the only time he had ever been successful in healing was with Riverdog after he hurt his ankle. She nodded rationalising that it would be Michael or Max and she really didn’t want to deal with Max at the moment.

Michael gingerly touched her throat with his fingertips. Liz flinched involuntarily. Raising his fingers to her face Michael looked her in the eye.

“I won’t hurt you.” He whispered. “I promise.”

Liz subconsciously pulled her lower lip between her teeth and nodded to Michael. He replaced his fingers on her throat and slowly placed his entire palm over the bruise that marred her neck. Liz was surprised at how gentle he was and how soft his hands were. Michael closed his eyes and channelled his powers into his hands. He didn’t want to connect with her. Most of him was curious about what he would see but the other part of him was repulsed at the thought of seeing her with this other man.

Feeling a small surge of energy Michael opened his eyes and removed his hands from Liz’s throat. The bruise was gone.

“Are you still in pain?” Michael asked hesitantly.
“No.” Liz replied in a stronger voice than earlier. She coughed slightly and cleared her throat. “Thank you.”
“Did he hurt you anywhere else?” Michael asked cautiously.
“No.” Liz replied as she sat up and swung her legs over the side of the bed. Her back to Michael she had a better chance of thinking straight.

Michael was undecided about questioning Liz. He didn’t know enough to be able to trick her into revealing what was going on. If she lied to him he would know it but how would he be able to contradict her? Deciding to bite the bullet, Michael had to know what was going on.

“Do you know who he was?” Michael asked. He saw her tense slightly.
“No.” Liz replied. “Do you?”

Strike one! Answering in the negative Michael knew that he had to see her face, her eyes to know if she was telling the truth or not. The last answer had been a definite lie. Rising from the bed Michael slid over to sit beside her. She turned her head away so he reached for her hand. Startled Liz turned back to face Michael.

“Did he say anything to you?” Michael questioned.
“Um, not that I could understand.” Liz replied.

Strike two! That was a lie. One thing Liz could not do was lie. Her face flushed and she avoided eye contact. So this guy either speaks English or Liz had a better grasp of Antarian than he thought. It was probably a safer bet that the guy spoke English Liz wouldn’t have been exposed to Antarian enough to learn it properly.

“What did he look like? I only saw him from the back.” Michael continued.
“He was tall and had dark hair but he was wearing a mask so I couldn’t see his face.” Liz answered her gaze focused on their joined hands.

Strike three! The guy had not been wearing a mask. Even though he didn’t get a clear picture of his face Michael had seen enough to know that his face was uncovered. He wasn’t going to get any information out of her. Why would Liz protect a man who had tried to kill her?

“Excuse me.” Liz interrupted his thoughts. “I have to go to the bathroom.”

Michael released her hand and watched her leave the room. Placing an elbow on each knee Michael’s head dropped into his hands and he sighed deeply. Frustration at not knowing anything and feeling helpless was slowly turning into being severely pissed off!

Liz exited the bathroom a few minutes later. Even in her dishevelled state Michael found her alluring. Liz avoided his gaze as she walked over to the window and looked out at the servants cleaning up from the night before.

“I don’t plan on letting you out of my sight for a while so you had better get used to having me around.” Michael told her.

Liz seemed to start at his words. She turned to him and looked at him straight in the eye. Becoming self conscious Michael raised an eyebrow at her. That seemed to break her concentration. A little flustered Liz’s eyes fluttered around the room. A small smile played on her face.

“Thank you Michael.” Liz replied. Gazing out of the window the smile on her face became wider.

Michael was highly confused. He had expected resistance from her. Yet another thing he didn’t understand.
polar4eva
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by polar4eva »

Loving the feedback You guys rule! Here is the next bit. Hope you like!

Without speaking to any of the others Michael and Liz had left the palace and made their way home. Liz was constantly lost in though and Michael often had to raise his voice to get her attention. She seemed a lot more relaxed and was not acting at all like she had just been attacked and almost killed.

Michael groaned in frustration… not that Liz noticed. She was elsewhere. At times Michael saw her lips move as though she was talking to herself. What could she possibly be thinking about that was so involved?

They reached their home and silently walked inside. They were still dressed in their formal clothes and neither had showered. Michael allowed Liz to shower first whilst he waited in their bedroom for her to get out.

He had been serious when he said that he wasn’t going to let her out of his sight. Well, as much as he wanted her to remain in his sight he was fairly certain that Liz would not be pleased if he insisted on watching her as she showered. No matter how appealing that thought was. He heard the water turn on and his mind wandered into dangerous places.

He imagined Liz as she striped off her white gown and other items of clothing. His mind pictured vividly the curves of her body. There were times when he cursed his artistic eye but at times like this he was grateful to his creators. The image of Liz washing her body in the shower was so vivid that Michael was convinced he was standing in the steamy bathroom watching her.

He was so involved in his thoughts that he failed to hear her turn off the water and exit the bathroom. Michael was startled and looked up at Liz with wide eyes. Even better. Her hair was wet trailing water down her thin robe making it slightly transparent. The cooler air of the bedroom made her nipples more visible and the short robe did in no way cover her tanned legs.

“The shower is free.” Liz said unnecessarily. “Is everything ok?” She asked in concern.
“Fine.” Michael squeaked. He coughed trying to return his voice to normal.

He waited until Liz walked over to the closet before rising from his chair. It was a good thing he was going for a shower. Walking uncomfortably Michael entered the bathroom and undressed. He turned on the water again and stood under the spray. Quickly washing his hair and body Michael once again pictured Liz’s naked body in his mind. His hands attempted to relieve the tension that had suddenly built up but as his mind formed a clearer image of Liz Michael wanted to prolong the agony. The sweet agony of want. It was not an unfamiliar feeling for Michael but this was stronger than anything he had ever experienced. He wanted her.

Uh oh! Michael thought.

As Liz dried her hair she drowned out the sounds of the dryer and shower with her thoughts. Ever since Michael and she had spoken that morning her mind had been running in top gear. It was so stupid. All of the research she had done and everything that Kivar had obviously tried to do was based on a translation error!

Whilst she was still uncertain of the answer she was more confident that she had ever been about being able to solve the riddle. It wasn’t a matter or what was the pathway. But where? Thinking of Kivar Liz turned of the dryer and laid it on the dresser. Her hands went to her throat and her brow furrowed.

Kivar was obviously as dangerous as she had believed when she was on Earth. All she had done was asked for more information and he had tried to kill her. Well, frighten her at least. Then Michael had turned up. She didn’t know how much Michael had seen and heard and that worried her. His inquisition this morning had indicated that he didn’t know much, if anything.

Waking up in his arms this morning had been an unusual experience to say that least. She was torn about how she felt about Michael. Yes, he was having an affair and obviously did not care for her in any real way. However, it wasn’t a marriage based on love or any deep friendship. Michael was protecting her because that was what he did. He was the protector.

But the soft lips of her ear and the tentative fingers on her throat this morning made her think fondly of him. He was strong, far stronger than even he knew, but he was gentle and kind too. A small smile played on her lips as she thought about his long fingers tracing hers as he spoke to her this morning.

The sound of the door to the bathroom opening brought Liz back to reality. She saw Michael’s reflection in the mirror and discreetly watched him move around the bedroom. Her face tinged pink and her lips curled upwards as she watched Michael turn away from her and drop his towel to the floor.

“I need to work in my study today.” Michael told her over breakfast. “Is there something you can bring to read or anything else you can do?” Michael’s eyes seemed focused on her lips as his thumb scratched his eyebrow.
“Yes.” Liz replied in surprise. Michael had always been clear in the past that the study was his domain. “I have reading that I can do.”

Liz spent most of the day on one of the sofas in the study whilst Michael worked at his desk. Liz was finishing the rest of the last book whilst Michael worked on supply lists and field reports. It was peaceful and comfortable. They took breaks for lunch and again for dinner. Very few words were spoken between them but glances were often exchanged.

At ten o’clock Liz decided to go to bed.

“I still have work to do. Call one of the male servants to stay outside the bedroom door until I come to bed.” Michael stated.
“Is that really necessary?” Liz asked.

Michael made no verbal reply but looked at her with an eyebrow raised. After a few moments Liz gave in. After Liz departed for bed Michael continued to read over reports. A knock at the door roused him from his thoughts.

“What?” He demanded.

The door was pushed open and Alina entered. She shut the door and turned the key before walked over to Michael with a sultry pout. Her fingers began to unbutton her shirt as she swayed her hips. She halted her movements when she stood in front of Michael.

Michael pushed his chair back from the desk and Alina straddled his lap. Michael’s hands finished the job of undressing her. He removed her shirt and pulled her skirt up to her waist. As usual she wore no underwear. Michael took one of her nipples in his mouth and sucked hard as Alina unbuttoned his shirt and unzipped his trousers.

Michael released her breast and helped her manoeuvre his sex into hers. Alina fused her lips to his and began to rotate her hips. Michael’s hands ran up and down her body. After a few moments Michael grabbed her by the hips and stood up. He lay her down on the desk and stroked into her vigorously. Alina moaned and groaned as she neared her orgasm. As she came Michael joined her in ecstasy.

Michael slumped back into his chair exhausted. Alina sat up on the desk with a devilish smile. She redressed and fixed her hair. She turned her attention to her deflated lover. She zipped up his trousers and buttoned up his shirt. She ran her fingers through his hair and wiped the lipstick off of his face. With a final kiss on his lips Alina turned towards the door and unlocked it. She quickly scanned the hall before exiting the room.

Michael stretched his arms over his head and yawned. He exhaled in a long breath wondering how he got so tired. He glanced over at the clock and was surprised to find that it had been over an hour since Liz had gone to be. Yet again he had gotten very little done. Frustrated Michael rose from his chair and walked to his bedroom. He found the servant sitting at the door and thanked him before sending him off to bed.

As quietly as possible Michael opened the bedroom door and entered the darkened room. He walked over to the bed and made out the silhouette of his wife sleeping on the other side of the bed. Stripping off his clothes Michael slipped under the covers and next to the sleeping beauty. A small smile played on his lips as he snaked an arm between the sheets and placed his hand on the small of her back.

Soon sound asleep Michael’s breathing became soft and even. Liz opened her eyes. Pulling her lip between her teeth Liz sighed sadly. She would hate the scent of that perfume until the day she died.
polar4eva
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by polar4eva »

I realise that I am posting this story really quickly but it is a combination of lots of ideas and of deadlines approaching for other stuff. Thanks for all the feedback - I love knowing what people think of my writing!

It had been two days since Michael and Liz had returned from the palace and the masquerade ball. What had started as an unending feeling of pleasurable tension between the two had, in Michael’s opinion, become an arctic hell. Liz was freezing him out and he had no idea why. There were no more timid glances, no more gentle looks or touches. All gone. Evaporated. Seemingly overnight.

Any attempts that Michael had made to reconnect with her had been pushed back in his face. She was beginning to drive him nuts. Every time he entered a room she would leave. The only time he was in the same room with her was when they slept and even then her body was turned away from him.

Michael had received a message from Max that stated they needed to meet urgently. Michael had little patience for Max. Especially after the looks Liz had been giving him at the ball. Was she still in love with him? Immediately shoving that thought aside Michael stepped out of his transport and entered the palace.

Liz had not reacted at all when he told her that he was leaving and that she was to remain under the watchful gaze of one of the male servants. Michael felt a little better knowing that there was someone that could protect her. He was still uneasy about leaving her alone. With a heavy sigh Michael walked through the halls until he found Max’s office. With a sharp knock of the door Michael entered.

“Thanks for coming.” Max stated as he looked up to see who was disturbing his train of thought.
“Well, you said it was urgent.” Michael replied, bored.
“I received a message about an hour ago from Kivar.” Max revealed.

That got Michael’s attention.

“What did it say?” He demanded.
“He wants us to meet at a summit. The destination is our choice.” Max replied.
“What does he want to discuss?” Michael asked warily.
“That, he didn’t state.” Max replied.
“It’s a trap!” Michael declared.
“I had thought about that too but he says that the destination is up to us so we can secure any location we want and cut down the risks.” Max stated.
“You want to do this!” Michael clarified. “Why?”
“Are you not sick of fighting this war and not knowing who we are up against?” Max retorted. “This will give us an opportunity to size him up. None of us have ever seen him before let alone met him. I don’t think this is something we can decline.”

Michael leaned back in the chair with a pensive look on his face.

“There are several stipulations!” Max revealed.
“Right!” Michael snorted.
“He wants to meet with all of us, including the Earthlings.” Max continued.
“No fucking way!” Michael nearly yelled.

Max was surprised at the strength of Michael’s outburst.

“Why not?”
“Why not? Are you serious?” Michael shot back. “How the hell are we supposed to protect them? They have no powers! If things get dicey then the four of us can use the foursquare to defend ourselves but we can’t do that if the others are there.”
“Why would Kivar be interested in them?” Max asked.

Michael muttered something as his hands covered his face in frustration.

“What?” Max queried.
“Someone tried to kill Liz at the Masquerade thing.” Michael tensed for the inevitable explosion.
“What?” Max yelled. “Why the hell didn’t I know about it?”
“After she left you on the dance floor and walked over to the maze I followed her. I found a guy grabbing her by the throat. I yelled at him and he walked off into the maze. Liz was on the ground not moving or breathing.” Michael explained.
“Is she alright?” Max demanded.
“I tried to get her to open her eyes but she didn’t move so I started CPR. She woke up and started coughing up water or something.” Michael continued.
“How did the water get into her lungs?” Max asked puzzled.
“I guess he put it there.” Michael responded coolly.
“Jesus! Why didn’t you tell us?” Max asked in confusion.
“Getting her home was my main priority. We spent the night in my old room and then travelled back to our house the next morning.” Michael answered.

Max slumped back in his seat slightly deflated. He had seen the message from Kivar as a sign that the war was going in their favour. But to find out that Kivar or someone had sent a killer after Liz added a new layer of intrigue.

“How is she?” Max asked gently.
“She won’t talk about it. She knows a lot more than she is telling me but for some reason she won’t say anything.” Michael revealed. “I asked her if he said anything and what he looked like and if there is one thing Liz can’t do…”
“It’s lie.” They said in unison.
“Why protect someone who tried to kill you?” Max asked. Michael just shrugged.

Max paused before continuing.

“I understand and applaud your need to protect Liz. I really do. But we need this meeting.” Max stated. “We need to get some kind of clue about who this man is and why he is so desperate for the throne.”
“I don’t like it.” Michael replied through gritted teeth. “All of the security measures are in my hands and I get to control all points of entry and exit. Agreed?”
“Agreed.” Max replied.
“It would be better for the course of the summit that you and Liz reside her with the rest of us…” Max ventured.
“Yeah, probably.” Michael replied. “I’ll start looking at possible locations and you get everything organised about when the summit is to be held. We’ll see what we can come up with before then.”
“Sounds like a plan.” Max approved.
“I should get going.” Michael stated with a nod at Max. This had by far been their best meeting. They were finally on the same and age there seemed to be at least a little consideration for what Michael thought was best.
“I’m surprised you let Liz out of your sight.” Max said with a sly grin.
“One of our servants is with her.” Michael replied wryly.
“Give her my best.” Max requested.
“I will.” Michael promised.

Just as he was about to open the door Max spoke quietly.

“It was good to see you.”
“You too.” Michael replied as he walked through the door without looking back.

Some of the ice between them had thawed.
polar4eva
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by polar4eva »

Sorry to tease but this is just a small opener for the next section that I am working on. How long it will be until I get it to you is unknown at this point - could be tomorrow could be in a fortnight!

Once again thanks to all of you who read this story and to those who reply.

A little over a month had passed before a location was settled upon and Michael and Liz moved into the palace along with the others. Tensions still ran high between the pair with Liz freezing Michael out in every way. She only spoke to him when necessary and even then no more than she had to.

Michael had left her with two guards, one on the balcony and one at front of the door. Liz sat in the room annoyed. She was tired of this over protective act. It was as though Michael was trying to smother her.

She looked at the bed with a sad smile on her face. That day after the ball Michael had been her hero. He had saved her and with his kindness and compassion he had made her feel safe. How quickly he had fallen. With an ironic snort Liz chastised herself for turning into Max. Placing people on pedestals was a dangerous game.

When she wasn’t ignoring Michael her mind was in constant motion. A simple turn of phrase from Michael had clarified the riddle for her but she still hadn’t found the solution. Rising to her feet Liz paced the room and once again tried to pry some semblance of sense out of the riddle.

Feeling claustrophobic Liz called for the guard on the balcony and told him that she wanted to go for a walk and tour the palace. After some initial hesitation the guard realised that Liz was serious and would not be dissuaded.

Accompanied by her two guards Liz walked through the halls and rooms of the vast and beautiful palace. She had had so little opportunity the last time she lived there to see much. Room after room of opulent furniture and colourful masterpieces soon became tiring. But she persisted.

Liz entered the throne room and stated at the seat of the king. The last time she had been in that room was for Max’s coronation. It had been a lavish affair with all of the splendour that Antar could afford. Liz had found it a little garish and lacking in style or grace but she had wisely kept her mouth shut. Michael had later told her that Isabel had planned the festivities.

Liz circled the room as her guards positioned themselves at the entrances and exits. The hall was beautiful with ornate sculptures and images of previous kings. It reminded her of the pictures she had seen of the palace of Versailles. Full of gold, glass and marble.

Liz’s eyes swept the room once more and her eyes landed on something that seemed out of place. Realisation dawned as she broke out in a smile of relief. She straightened up and turned to her guards.

“Where can I find a lawyer?” She asked.