Love of the Land (M/L ADULT AU) (Complete)

This is the gallery for the winners of the fanfic awards to show off their fics, and their banners!

Moderators: Itzstacie, Forum Moderators

Emz80m
Roswell Fanatic

Love of the Land (M/L ADULT AU) (Complete)

Post by Emz80m »

Winner - Round 10

Title: Love of the Land
Author: Emma
Rating: ADULT
Category: M/L
Disclaimer: I don’t own Roswell, or McLeod’s Daughters. These are owned by their creators etc.
Authors Note: This fic is a Roswell fic but I’ve used names, places, and ideas from the Australia Series of McLeod’s Daughters.
Summer: Max hasn’t been home to ‘Killarny’ in almost 16 years. This story is about his journey home and being reunited with his friends and family.

Part 1

“Hey, hey, hey, hey, hey, hey,” Liz yelled at the sheep as she mustered them into the lower paddock. She worked her white horse Sandstone like an expert along side Alex on his own horse Blaze.

Jeff Parker smiled proudly at his son and daughter as they worked hard together.

“They’re looking good,” he commented as he looked over the sheep they were bringing into the yard.

“Yeah,” Alex smiled.

These days Alex handled most of the running of their two properties. Sometimes he wondered why his father had held onto Wilgul for so long but now that he was older, and craving his own space he was grateful for his father’s foresight.

“They should fetch a good price tomorrow,” Liz piped up.

Liz was the surprise of Jeff Parkers children. Liz was beautiful and graceful and Nancy Parker would have loved for their daughter to appreciate more of the finer things of being a women, but unlike her mother, who loved the kitchen and dresses, Liz loved the land and most days would be by her brothers side working it.

Liz and Alex pulled their horses to a stop then, unmounting and leading them towards the stables where they would remove their saddles and brush them down for the night.

“Are you staying for dinner Alex?” Jeff asked his son.

Alex had moved out of their family home on Parkers Run a few months earlier. At 25 he thought it was time. He still spent most of his time with his family but he liked living by himself now at Wilgul. The homestead there wasn’t as nice or homey as the one on Parkers but Alex had made it his home.

The only thing left now was to fill it with the women he longed to have in his arms. He knew she would do a fine job turning Wilgul into a place to call home.

“Yeah might as well. What’s mum cooking?” he asked.

“Aimee cooked tonight,” Jeff told him.

Aimee Deluca was Nancy Parkers childhood best friend. She had come to Parkers twenty years earlier after her husband had left her pregnant and alone, and had been with their family ever since. Her role was a magnitude of things from house keeping to farmhand. Aimee also had a daughter who was only two years younger than Liz. At 23 and 21 they were complete opposites but at the same time the best of friends.

Alex’s eyes lit up at his father’s words “Did she make pie?”

Aimee made the best pies in the district and Alex was her biggest fan.

“It’s a sure bet she did,” Jeff parker smiled at his son.

The Parker family, Aimee and Maria sat around the grand dinning room table enjoying the scrumptious meal that Aimee had cooked.

Working the land was hard. There were many things to contend with and the worst of all was Mother Nature, but she had been kind to Jeff Parker in the past. He had built a solid life for his family and even in the midst of the worst drought in history, Parkers Run and Wilgul were holding their own.

“This is great like usual, Aimee,” Alex grinned at his second mother.

“Thank you Alex,” she replied.

They all heard the phone ring to life in the next room, surprised that someone would be calling during the traditional dinnertime.

Jeff Parker excused himself and went to answer it.

“Michael, hi,” they heard him answer in the next room.

“Oh God,” Jeff said then. “Michael, I’m so sorry… thanks for letting us know…. Don’t hesitate to call if there is anything we can do.”

Jeff was white as a ghost when he returned to the dinning room, falling into his seat as he took in the information.

“Jeff what’s wrong?” Nancy asked.

Jeff looked up at his expectant family. He could see all the questions in their eyes.

“That was Michael Evans,” he told them. “Phillip had a heart attack this afternoon.”

“Oh God!” They all gasped.

“Is he ok?” Alex was the one to ask.

Jeff swallowed the lump in his throat. Phillip Evans had been his best friend and neighbour his entire life. Killarny was the other neighbouring property to Parkers and Phillip had inherited the property after his own father had passed away. Jeff had been through a lot with him, the death of his first wife during childbirth and his separation from his second wife Dianne. He had never anticipated loosing him.

“No, he died,” he told them.

“Oh no,” Liz immediately started to cry, her hand on her heart as she thought about the man who had been like a second father to them.

The Evans and Parkers were best friends, they worked together, and they grew up together. Liz thought of Michael and Isabel then, and finally her thoughts drifted to Max and she wondered if he would finally come home.

“What happened?” Nancy asked. All the women were crying now, the news rocking them to the very core. Phillip wasn’t much older than Jeff and he was in very good shape from working the land most of his life.

“Michael only said he was working in the yard. Isabel found him.”

“Oh poor Izzy,” Liz cried.

“Do they need anything?” Nancy asked.

“Michael said they will call,” he told them.

They all sat with their own thoughts for a while before the women all pitched in and helped clean away the meal.

Alex lingered in his family home feeling a sadness he couldn’t explain. His thoughts were mostly of Isabel. He wondered how she was doing, she appeared strong on the outside, but Alex knew her better than that.

“Stay in your old bed tonight?” Liz asked, her big brown eyes holding a plea.

Alex smiled at his baby sister. He didn’t care how old she got she would always be his little sister, and he would look out for her. Alex pulled her into his arms and hugged her tight.

“Yeah,” he nodded. He liked the sound of that.

They walked up the stairs then together.

TBC....This fic will not be updated regularly sorry

ETA: Up to Part 3 is posted at WO
Last edited by Emz80m on Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:44 am, edited 48 times in total.
Emz80m
Roswell Fanatic

Post by Emz80m »

A/N: Hi everyone. Thank you so much for reading and leaving feedback. I appreicate hearing from you guys.

I forgot to mention on the first part the wonerful banner was made by Behrsgirl77. Thank you Tanya.

I hope you like this part

confusedfool
Sternbetrachter
KarenEvans
begonia9508
cocopucks
tequathisy - ah interesting questions which will all be answered soon.
Behrsgurl*87
Sweet Liz
guelbebek
BehrObsession
kittens
Pheobe04
FSU/MSW-94
L-J-L 76
Alien614
Jason's Lover
POM - thanx chica
g7silvers

Part 2

Michael Evans watched his sister carefully as she sat staring at the phone. He knew she was only barely holding it together and if he could force himself he would make this call for her but he just couldn’t. He was just too angry. He was angry that they left, he was angry that they never came back. But most of all Michael was angry that they weren’t there when his father passed away.

“You should call before it gets to late,” he whispered.

Isabel turned and looked at him. She knew without a doubt she would never get the picture out of her mind, the picture of her father lying lifeless and gone in the middle of the paddock.

Killarny was her fathers home his entire life and in a way Isabel knew it was right that he had died on the very soil he was born on. Phillip Evans was a quiet and proud man, who loved his family but above all else he loved the land.

He had married Loretta Guerin just before his 30th birthday just after his father’s death. A year later after complications during childbirth Loretta passed away, leaving Phillip to raise Michael on his own.

Several months later he met Dianne White and after a short courtship they married. Isabel knew that her father loved her mother. She remembered the way they would look at each other whilst she was growing up, and knew without a doubt her fathers last thoughts were probably of her.

Isabel and Max, twins, were born three months after Michaels second birthday. When they were little Isabel and Max were inseparable but over the last sixteen years they had drifted far apart. She hated that she had to pick up the phone and tell her brother that their father was gone.

Picking up the receiver she dialled the familiar number and waited for it to ring.

Max stared at the notes in front of him. Tomorrow was his final exam and provided everything went well he would soon graduate from Melbourne University. It had been hard work but he had loved every moment of university life. With a major in a business, and for some unknown reason a minor in agriculture, Max knew that his life was just beginning.

He picked up the phone, which was lying beside him on the lounge, absentmindedly when it rang. “Hello?”

“M-Max?”

“Yeah?” He replied not recognising the voice “Who’s this?”

“It’s Isabel,” she replied.

Max put his book down. Although they weren’t close Max loved his twin and would always make time for her. Max and his mother had lived in the city now for close to sixteen years, and although Isabel visited on every school holiday, and now as often as she could, he still missed her.

“Hey Izzy,” he smiled. “What’s up?”

The phone went silent for a while.

“Izzy?”

“Max, I’ve got bad news,” she cried.

“What’s wrong? What happened?” he asked alarmed.

“It’s Dad,” she told him.

“What about Dad, Isabel?” he asked his heart stopping as he waited for her to answer.

“He’s gone Max,” she whispered.

“Go…” he couldn’t get the words out. “ How?” he asked instead.

“He had a heart attack a couple of hours ago,” she explained.

He felt tears stinging his eyes and wiped at them furiously with his free hand.

“Max?” Isabel asked.

“Yeah I’m still here,” he told her.

“Is mum there?” she asked then. The last thing she wanted to do was go through it again but she knew she had too.

“No,” Max shook his head, “She’s at the café.” He explained.

“Can you…?” Isabel didn’t want to ask the question. Was it unfair to ask him to deliver the news she was sure would break her mothers heart?

“Um yeah,” Max whispered.

“Will you come tomorrow?” she asked then.

Max closed his eyes at her question. He hadn’t been home to Killarny in sixteen years and this was the not the homecoming he wanted. Max knew his sister needed him, and that he needed to be at his father’s funeral so why was he shaking right now?

“Not tomorrow,” he told her. “I have an exam, my last,” he explained. “If I don’t go I’ll fail and I’d have to take the class all over again,” it sounded horrific even to his own ears but it was the truth none the less.

“Ok,” Isabel replied. At least he hadn’t said no to her all together.

“We’ll hold off the funeral until Friday,” she told him. Friday was three days away and she thought it might take that long to organise everything anyway.

“Will you both be coming?” she asked hopefully.

“I think so,” he told her. “I’ll talk to Mum when she gets home.”

“Ok,” Isabel whispered, his voice was comforting but she wanted her brother and mother more than anything right now. Isabel cast a glance at Michael then who was frowning as he listened to the conversation.

“Call me and tell me your plans,” she requested.

“I will.” Max said.

There was silence again then before Max spoke up. “I love you Iz,” he whispered.

Isabel let a sob go then. “I love you too, Max,” she told him before gently placing the receiver down.

“Are they coming?” Michael immediately asked.

“Yes,” she nodded.

“When?” he probed.

Michael had never forgiven his stepmother and brother for leaving and never coming home. Michael and Max had not spoken a word in ten years.

“Thursday,” she told them.

“Why not tomorrow?” he asked appalled that they wouldn’t rush straight there.

“Max has his last exam and he can’t miss it,” she told him. “And I guess Mum will have to find someone to look after the café.”

Michel scoffed.

“Please don’t,” Isabel pleaded. “They’re family and we need them,” she cried.

Michael’s face was hard as he looked at his sister. “I only need you,” he told her before storming out of the house leaving Isabel to cry her heart out.

At that moment she wasn’t sure why she was crying. Was it because her daddy was gone and she would never see him again? Or was it for the family she missed with her whole heart, the family that they would never be again?
Emz80m
Roswell Fanatic

Post by Emz80m »

A/N: Hi everyone. Thanks so much for taking the time to leave feedback. I know some of you have a lot of questions and they will be revealed soon. I hope you like this new part :D

guelbebek
tequathisy
FSU/MSW-94
belleoftheball
BehrObsession
KarenEvans
begonia9508
L-J-L 76
g7silvers
LegalAlien
Alien614
Mariael311

Part 3

“Do you think Max will come home?” Liz asked Alex and Maria as they trotted on their horses. They were on their way to Killarny to see how Isabel and Michael were, and if there was anything they could do.

“I don’t know,” Alex answered. “I guess so.”

It had been sixteen years since Liz had seen her childhood friend. She remembered the last time she had seen him like it was yesterday, and the next thing she knew he was gone.

“Why do you think he stayed away so long?” Maria asked.

Maria had only been five when Max had his accident and didn’t really remember him to well, or what had happened.

“I don’t know. Alex?” Liz asked.

“Would you be able to come back if you were him?” he asked them. “If you couldn’t ride Toxic anymore, or even walk?” he asked.

Alex and Michael had been 10, Liz, Isabel and Max 8 and Maria 5 when the accident had happened.

Phillip had rounded up a wild brumby, one of the most beautiful brumbies they had ever seen and was trying to tame her. The boys had thought they were so big and brave back then and Michael had dared Max to ride her. Max had been like every other little boy who looked up to his older brother, and after a little coaxing was soon trying to mount the brumby to prove he was the best.

Time stood still when the brumby reared up on its back legs and sent Max flying. He landed halfway across the yard and his leg had been severely broken in several places. He had been flown to the best hospital in Melbourne and had spent several months healing before being moved to a rehabilitation centre. Isabel told them that he still walked with a limp and had been told by the doctors that he would never be able to ride again.

It was the last time any of them had seen him.

Eventually the treatment had come at a price to the Evans family. After spending so long in the city, and Max requiring long term treatment Dianne Evans eventually moved there for good. No one was really sure what had happened but what they did know was that Max had refused to visit Killarny after that.

Isabel look tired and drained when she opened the door.

“Hey,” Liz whispered.

“Hi, come in,” she replied.

Alex’s hand took hold of Isabel’s and he squeezed it tightly as he walked past.

“Where’s Michael?” Liz asked.

“Not sure, probably out working.” Isabel shrugged.

“I’m so sorry Isabel,” Liz whispered.

“Thank you,” she said tears springing to her eyes.

“Is there anything we can do?” Maria asked. “Nancy said that her and mum would be quite happy to organise refreshments for after the service if you like?”

“That would be great,” Isabel nodded.

Phillip Evans would be buried on Killarny with his parents, and grandparents. It was a family tradition and one that Isabel and Michael knew meant a lot to their father.

They all sat down in the beautiful living room of the Killarny house. Dianne Evans had done a wonderful job at decorating the house; the furniture was old antiques and had a beautiful mix of paintings to bring the room alive. It was Isabel’s favourite room because it reminded her most of her mother, Michael hated it.

“When is the funeral?” Alex asked.

Isabel cleared her throat as she looked at him. She wanted desperately to reach out for him and she could see from the look in his eyes he felt the same way.

“Friday,” she whispered. “We have to wait for Mum and Max,” she added.

“How did they take it?” Liz asked.

“I spoke to Max last night, I think he was a little shocked. Mum rang this morning and she was really upset,” Isabel answered.

Liz nodded not knowing what else to say.

They heard the kitchen door slam then and Isabel called out to Michael.

Michael nodded in acknowledgement as he spotted each of them. His eyes lingering a little longer on Liz.

“We just came to pay our respects and to tell you if there is anything we can do…” Alex told him standing so he could shake his hand.

Michael nodded.

Liz stepped forward then, her eyes filled with tears. “I’m so sorry Michael,” she said and reached up to embrace him. Michael welcomed her into his arms and held her close for a few minutes.

Maria stepped into his arms next but Michael released her quickly. “Thanks,” he whispered.

“What will you do now?” Maria asked them.

“With what?” Michael asked.

“The farm?”

“Killarny will continue to run the same way it has for the past 50 years,” Michael told her fire in his eyes.

Michael was a stubborn man, but he had learnt well from his father and had been practically running Killarny for years. Killarny was a beautiful farm a similar size to Parkers and shared boundaries with both Parkers and Wilgul. Phillip and Jeff had often talked about merging one day and Liz knew that they hoped it would happen by Liz marrying Michael.

Michael had never commented much on the subject but Alex always suspected that secretly he liked the idea, but Liz had told her father that she would not be married off, to an Evans or anyone.

Liz was a romantic at heart. She truly believed that there was someone out there who would be perfect for her; she just hadn’t met him yet. What she did know is that person wasn’t Michael Evans. Michael was a friend, a brother almost.

“I just thought that with Dianne and Max coming back…” Maria said.

Michael’s eyes narrowed and Maria sunk back into the couch. Maria had a bad habit of always putting her foot in things.

“Come on Maria, I think we should go,” Liz said standing up and coming to Maria’s rescue.

“Yeah, you’re right.”

“Are you coming Alex?” Liz asked as she hugged Isabel one more and said her goodbyes.

“I won’t be far behind,” he told her.

Liz waited until they were back on their horses before she turned to Maria. “What were you thinking?” she asked.

“I’m sorry ok,” Maria said. “It’s just that I’m sure Phillip left Max an equal share of Killarny. What are you going to do if he wants to sell it?”

Liz sighed. Maria had a very good point and Liz knew that she was probably right. Max hadn’t been home in years but that wouldn’t have changed Phillip’s mind about his son. Max had always been close with Phillip when he was young. He loved the farm and had been very clued in for his age. Liz knew that Phillip would have left Max his share of Killarny and that most likely Max wouldn’t want it.

Liz also knew that Michel and Isabel wouldn’t be able to afford to buy him out if it came to that either. Killarny was worth a lot of money but unfortunately Phillip had been doing it tough for a few years. He would have left a nice nest egg for his family but it certainly wouldn’t fix everything.

When Liz and Maria excused themselves Michael disappeared as well leaving Alex and Isabel alone.

Once she was sure they were alone Isabel flew into Alex’s arms and allowed him to pull her close. She let her walls fall then and she cried for her father and the deep whole his death had left in her heart.

“Shh Bella,” Alex soothed as he ran a comforting hand through her beautiful blonde hair.

It broke Alex’s heart to see her this way. Isabel was the strongest women he knew, she was stubborn and strong willed but she was also such a caring person and he loved her with everything he was.

They had been secretly seeing each other for six months now. Alex had always had feelings for Isabel and had finally worked up the courage to kiss her while they were working in the middle of a paddock one day, arguing whilst they tried to fix a boundary fence together. They hadn’t told anyone about their relationship because they knew that their families would make such a big deal out of it. They decided to wait to see if things were going to work out before they came out. In fact they had decided to tell their families this coming weekend. Alex knew that probably wouldn’t happen the way they wanted it to now. He did know one thing though, Isabel needed him, and he was going to be there for her.

“It’s going to be ok,” Alex told her. Moving them to the lounge as Isabel continued to sob.

Eventually Isabel cried herself out and she fell asleep against Alex’s chest, clinging to his shirt.

“Are you ok?” Max asked his mother.

Dianne looked away from where she was staring out the window, her eyes red from crying.

She nodded at Max. “What time will you be home?” she asked.

Max was leaving for his exam. He didn’t know how he was going to go, he hadn’t been able to study after Isabel’s call and when his mother got home telling her had been the hardest thing he had ever had to do. It broke his heart to watch his mother shatter around him. Despite the fact they weren’t together, Max knew that Dianne was still in love with Phillip, he also new that Phillip had still loved Dianne. It was unclear to Max why they were no longer together, yet never divorced and for the first time in sixteen years Max felt regret. Because it was the first time it had occurred to him that the reason they were apart was because of him.

“Three,” Max answered. “I thought we could leave tonight and drive some of the way so its not such a long trip for you tomorrow.”

“That sounds fine,” Dianne answered.

“Ok,” Max nodded. “I’m going to go now,” he told her.

Dianne didn’t turn to look at him again she just continued to gaze out the window so with one more worried look Max quietly left the room.

“Hey,” Alex smiled as Isabel stirred and looked up at him.

“How long was I asleep?” Isabel asked concerned.

“Not that long,” he told her. “You were exhausted.”

Isabel nodded. She hadn’t slept since she found her father. Every time she had tried to close her eyes the night before all she cold see was her fathers face.

Isabel sat up then and straightened her clothes despite Alex trying to pull her back down against him.

“Hey come back here,” he whispered. “Bella you need to sleep,”

Isabel shook her head. “No, I don’t have time. I have so much to organise and Mum and Max will be here tomorrow so I need to set their rooms up.”

“Let me help,” Alex pleaded. “You’re not alone, you don’t have to do everything.”

His words broke Isabel’s strong resolve. “It feels that way,” she sobbed.

Michael was distant and angry. He was sad over their loss and he was dealing with it by working the farm. He didn’t see that Isabel needed him.

Alex cupped her face in his hand gently. “I love you Isabel Evans,” he whispered passionately.

Isabel smiled through her tears.

“You’re not alone,” he assured her. “Tell me what I can do?” he requested.

Isabel sunk into his arms. “Just being here is enough,” she whispered.
Emz80m
Roswell Fanatic

Post by Emz80m »

A/N: Hi everyone. Just dropping off a new part. Thanx for all your feedback :D

tequathisy
KarenEvans
begonia9508
Alien614
guelbebek
FSU/MSW-94
Sternbetrachter
g7silvers
orphyfets
believer_evans
BehrObsession
Mariael311

Part 4

Max couldn’t believe how little had changed as he pulled the SUV into the long driveway leading to Killarny.

Despite the drought the paddocks were green and the house he had lived so many years ago still stood beautiful and proud.

“It hasn’t changed much,” Dianne voiced his thoughts. Unlike Max, Dianne had been back to Killarny over the years and had thought the same thing every time she drove up the driveway towards it.

They got out of the car slowly and Max stretched his leg painfully. He had driven most of the way despite his discomfort because Dianne hadn’t been in much of a state too.

Isabel rushed out when she heard the sound of a car engine and doors.

As soon as Dianne caught sight of her daughter she flew into her arms. Max watched, feeling like an outsider, as mother and daughter re-united, both sinking to the ground as they sobbed over their loss. Max also felt guilty. His mother had cried, Isabel had cried but he hadn’t been able to. Did that make him a bad son?

Michael stood on the porch and watched Isabel and Dianne. His eyes drifted to Max’s then and when Max’s eyes rose to meet his he nodded his head but quickly looked away.

Max shook his head at his brother and took a tired step toward his sister. His limp was heavier after the long drive and as soon as Isabel heard him she looked up.

“Max,” she cried.

Max wanted to sink down to her but he knew if he did he would never be able to get up. Seeing his dilemma Isabel stood and fell into his strong arms. She held onto him as tightly as she could, afraid that if she let go he would disappear again and she didn’t think she could handle that right now.

“Thank god you’re here,” she sobbed.

“I know,” he whispered.

The three made their way into the house then, stopping when they reached Michael.

“Michael sweetie.” Dianne smiled through her tears. “I’m so sorry,” she said to him.

Michael nodded coldly. Once upon a time he had called Dianne mum but now he couldn’t look at the women, who as far as he was concerned, broke his fathers heart.

“Dianne.”

Max stepped forward then and held out a hand. “Long time no see Michael,” he said. “I just wish it was under better circumstances,” he added.

Michael turned his head so he couldn’t see the pain on Max’s face as he limped over to him.

“Who’s fault is that,” He snapped in reply to Max’s comment, ignoring his hand and shoving past him towards the door.

“You might be my brother by blood but you deserted us. He loved you but you would never come home. Do you know what that did to him?” he asked bitterly.

Max bit his lip to keep from yelling at Michael. “Do you know what this did to me?” Max whispered pointing to his leg.

“Dad might have forgiven the two of you but I haven’t,” he continued angrily ignoring Max’s comment. He couldn’t allow himself to think about it because his guilt would consume him.

Without another word then he stormed out of the house.

Max silently listened as Isabel and his mother spent the afternoon going through everything. From funeral plans to catching up on what was happening. Eventually Max couldn’t take it any longer, and with the excuse of needing to stretch his leg Max left the house and began to wander. Before he knew it Max found himself at the bottom of the paddock and leaned against the fence as he stared at the acres of property around him.

Liz faulted as she pulled her Ute into the driveway at Killarny. There was an unfamiliar car parked there already and she hesitated not wanting to interrupt anything but she knew that her mother would kill her if she didn’t deliver the hot food her and Amy had prepared for Michael and Isabel.

Once Nancy had heard that Dianne and Max were coming home she decided that she would have to cook for them to ensure they all ate well. Liz had gotten the job of delivering the food.

She was at the door, her hands full of food when she spotted him. He was striding towards her and her first thought was the he was the most beautiful thing she had ever seen.

She watched a frown mare his features as he saw her.

“I couldn’t knock,” she explained as he finally reached her.

Max looked over her arms which were full of dishes and he took what he thought was the heaviest from her without speaking.

Liz frowned when he didn’t say a word. Did he know who she was? Did he care?

“Mum and Amy started cooking when they heard you would be here,” Liz told him.

Max’s brows furrowed as he tried to remember who the beauty in front of him was. A memory of a small young girl with brown braids flashed through his mind then and he smiled.

“Lizzie?” he questioned.

Liz Parker had been his childhood friend. She was always a wisp of a girl though, very shy and her mother always dressed her in pretty pink dresses that she got dirty from playing with the boys.

“Yeah.” Liz smiled and then blushed as he looked her over.

The Liz Parker in front of Max though was very much a women. A beautiful one. Her long brown hair was still in braids but gone were the dresses, they were replaced with tight jeans, a tank top, and cowboy boots. He doubted that she even realised her face had smudges of dirt all over it.

“Hi Max,” she whispered her eyes locking with his beautiful ones and causing her to gasp.

Max opened his mouth to say something to her but before he got the chance Michael interrupted them.

“Liz,” he called out as he approached. His walk turning into a jog.

Liz turned her head as he approached.

“Hey Michael.”

“What’s all this?” He asked taking a dish from her and opening the door to let her walk inside completely ignoring Max or the fact he had interrupted.

“Mum and Amy have been cooking,” she replied stepping in as he held the door open. As soon as Liz was inside though he shut the door in Max’s face and with a hand on the small of her back guided her into the kitchen. Liz cast an apologetic look over her shoulder at Max as she was steered away and Max smiled and shrugged already used to Michael. He knew Michael didn’t want him there anymore than Max wanted to be there, so Max would stay as long as it took to sort everything out and then he would leave Michael alone for good.

Liz bit her lip and contemplated whether she should approach him. Dianne had kept her busy for the last hour wanting to know everything that had been going on. It was strange for Liz, she hardly remembered Dianne Evans, but at the same time it was just like sitting and talking to Isabel.

So now Liz stood outside staring at Max’s back wanting desperately to go and talk to him but not sure if she should approach him.

The decision was taken out of her hands then, as though Max felt her staring at him he turned and their eyes met. The corner of his lips turned up slightly and that was enough of an invitation to join him.

“What are you doing out here?” Liz asked.

“I forgot how beautiful it is,” Max replied.

The sun was almost set but the sky was a mixture of bright oranges and pinks.

“Yeah it really is,” Liz agreed.

“I’m really sorry about Phillip, Max,” Liz said then placing a hand on his shoulder.

“We all really loved him, he’ll definitely be missed.”

Max did his best to smile. “Thanks Liz,” he whispered.

Liz nodded. “How long will you be staying?” she wondered then. She hoped that he wouldn’t leave so quickly. It had been so long since they had all seen him and she knew how much it would mean to Isabel if he were to stay.

“Not sure,” Max shrugged.

“Its good to see you,” Liz whispered then.

Max turned and studied Liz then before he smiled slightly, “You too Lizzie.”

Liz grinned back at him then. “Only Alex gets away with calling me Lizzie anymore,” she teased.

“Really?” Max grinned.

“Yep so you better watch it Maxie.”

“Ohh,” he laughed.

“Anyway, I better go, I’ve still got a few things to do,” Liz said. “But I’ll see you tomorrow,” she informed Max.

“I’ll be there,” Max nodded.

With a final smile Liz turned and headed back towards the Ute with a bounce in her step.

Michael frowned as he watched her go. He didn’t like the idea of Liz around Max one little bit.

“So Dianne and Max have arrived?” Liz asked Maria.

“Yep,” Liz nodded.

“So?” Maria asked.

They were sitting on Liz’s bed eating ice cream, and gossiping about things happening around Gungahlin, it was a weekly ritual but one that both girls loved.
“So what?” Liz asked confused.

“What’s Max like?”

“Um well he’s Max,” Liz blushed.

Maria picked up on it straight away. “No way, he’s hot?”

Liz blushed again. “Totally,” Liz grinned.

“Oh man I can’t wait to see him,” Maria said. “A bit of new blood in Gungahlin is exactly what we need.”

“Speak for yourself Maria, some of us are happy being single,” Liz tried to argue.

Maria laughed. “Oh you’re kidding aren’t you? This is me Liz and I saw the way you blushed when I asked about Max.”

“I did not,” Liz denied.

“Right, keep telling yourself that,” she said.

“Michael doesn’t seem to happy to have Max and Dianne there,” Liz told Maria.

“What do you mean?” Maria asked.

“Well for one when I got there I ran into Max straight away and we were having a bit of an awkward first time seeing each other in years moment and then Michael just waltzes in and practically drags me away from him but not without slamming the door in Max’s face.”

“Wow,” Maria says.

They were all used to Michael and his moods but that seemed a little worse than normal for him.

“Well we knew he was angry with them,” Maria points out.

“I don’t know how to explain it Ria it was just weird, he was almost possessive,” Liz continued.

“Well lets keep an eye out for him tomorrow see how he acts?” Maria suggested.

“Good idea.” Liz agreed.
Emz80m
Roswell Fanatic

Post by Emz80m »

A/N: Thank you for your feedback, I hope you like the new part :D

pandas2001
guelbebek
FSU/MSW-94
LegalAlien
BehrObsession
orphyfets
KarenEvans

Part 5

“I wonder how Isabel is this morning?” Liz wondered over breakfast.

“I’m sure it’s a hard day for all of the Evans's today, sweetie,” Nancy Parker replied.

Today was Phillip’s funeral. He would be buried on Killarny along with his parents. It was fitting that he would be laid to rest on the very same property he was born.

“Yeah, you’re right,” Liz agreed.

Alex stood up from the table then. As much as he wanted to be with Isabel today he knew that he couldn’t. Neither of their families new about them yet and today wasn’t the time for them to all find out. Instead he would have to trust that being with her brothers and mother would be enough.

“Come on Lizzie, Ria, lets get to work,” he said.

Liz and Maria both stood up and followed Alex outside.

“What’s on the agenda today?” Maria asked.

“Well we only have a few hours before we’ll need to come home and get ready for the funeral,” he pointed out. “So there is a boundary fence that needs fixing, the troughs need cleaning and refilling and we need to lay some feed down.”

“I’ll take the boundary fence,” Liz spoke up. It would be a good opportunity to get some time to herself, which she always enjoyed.

“Ok,” Alex agreed. “I’ll do the troughs and that leaves you the feed Maria.”

They parted ways then to take care of their tasks. Liz went to the stables and pulled out Sandstone. It would be easier for her to take one of the Utes but she really wanted to feel the wind against her skin as she rode through the paddocks this morning.

She loaded Sandstone up and soon she was galloping to the western boundary fence. On approach she could see the Killarny homestead and everything look relatively quiet there. Her thoughts went to Isabel again, she knew that today would be the hardest of her friend’s life. Liz was close to her father and she couldn’t even begin to understand what it would be feel like to loose him.

Liz’s thoughts turned to Michael then. He was tough, a stonewall but he was also his fathers son. Michael had barely left Killarny most of his life and she doubted he ever planned too.

Lastly she thought of Max. She wondered how long he would stay at Killarny, and if after this he would ever come back.

She tied Sandstone up to a nearby fence pole before she unloaded all the gear she would need to fix the fence, which was down. It wasn’t very bad but it was enough for the sheep to get through and onto Killarny, which is something that neither property wanted or needed at the moment.

A half an hour later Liz was cursing the fence. It was taking longer and turning out to be a lot harder to fix it by herself that she had anticipated.

“Need a hand?”

Liz looked up startled when she heard the voice. She watched as Max limped his way down the paddock towards her, a small smile lifting the corners of his mouth as he watched her.

Max had come out into the paddock to escape his sister and mother in the house when he had caught sight of Liz down at the fence. He watched her for a while struggling with the fence before he began to make his way towards her.

“You know how to fix a fence?” Liz laughed.

She doubted that Max had ever fixed a fence in his life. He had only been seven when he had left Killarny and she knew he hadn’t been back since.

“It’s like riding a bike isn’t it?” he asked.

“I guess,” she agreed. “If you learned to ride,” she added with a smirk.

“Well you look like you could do with a hand so why don’t you let me try?” he suggested.

“Ok,” she smirked.

Liz watched as Max strode towards the clamps and began to tighten one end. Seeing the tension increase Liz did the same at her end and was finally able to twist the wire which was giving her trouble.

A few more expert manoeuvres later Max had helped Liz repair the fence.

“There you go, all fixed,” he announced before shooting her a smug smile.

Liz blushed. “Yeah thanks for that,” she replied.

Liz had repaired hundreds of fences in her life and she wanted to tell Max that. The last thing she wanted was for him to think that she was a useless woman.

“Are you the only one that works on this farm?” he asked then.

“Um no,” Liz shook her head. “Alex and Maria do as well. I just volunteered for this job.”

Max nodded.

“How are you feeling this morning?” she asked then.

“Ok,” Max replied. He wanted to tell her he felt numb, he couldn’t cry even though he wanted to desperately but worst of all he felt guilty. Michael’s words rung in his head over and over a gain. Do you know what it did to him when you refused to come home?

“It must be strange being back after all this time,” Liz said as she began to gather the tools up.

“Yeah it is,” he replied.

“Did you miss it?” she asked.

Max avoided her gaze and the question.

Realising that he wasn’t going to answer her Liz spoke again. “How long are you staying?” she asked.

“Not sure,” Max shrugged. “As long as it takes to sort things out I guess.”

“You could stay,” Liz pointed out.

“What for?” Max asked.

It was on the tip of Liz’s tongue to tell him that she wanted him to stay but she stopped herself and wondered where the hell the thoughts had come from. Max had been home two days and she was falling over him like a puppy dog, what was wrong with her? She never acted this way around guys.

“This is your home,” she said.

“It was,” He nodded. “But there is no point being here when I can’t do anything.”

“Have you tried to ride since the accident?” she asked him then.

Max’s head snapped towards her, the smile now gone from his face altogether. “No, the Doctor told me I’d never ride again.”

“And you just took his word for it?” Liz asked her eyebrow lifted in question.

Max was saved from answering by Isabel who was standing at the top of paddock calling out to him.

“You should go,” Liz whispered.

“Yeah,” He nodded but hesitated from moving. He wasn’t sure what it was about Liz but he felt drawn to her, like he could talk to her.

“Will I see you later?” he asked.

“Yeah, I’ll be there,” she assured him.

With a final nod Max limped his way back up the paddock towards where Isabel was waiting.

Liz waved at Isabel before she began to load her stuff back on Sandstone before saddling him making her way back to Parkers Run.

“As we lay our brother Phillip into the ground we give thanks to the Lord for the gift of his life,” the priest said.

“No person is ever truly alone. Those who live no more, whom we loved, echo still within our thoughts, our words, our hearts. And what they did
And who they were, Becomes a part of all that we are, Forever.” He continued.

“Phillip James Evans was born on this very property in 1950 to James & Barbara Evans. He was there only child and after James passing in 1977 took over running the property.

“He married Hannah Guerin in 1978 who gave birth to his first son in 1979, unfortunately Hannah passed away during childbirth leaving Phillip to raise their son alone.

“Phillip met and married Dianne Smith in 1980 and in 1981 Dianne gave birth to twins.

“Phillip is survived by his children Michael, Max and Isabel and his wife Dianne,” the priest told them.

“Phillip’s daughter Isabel would now like to say a few words about her father,” he stepped back as Isabel stepped forward from her place between Max and Michael.

“Thank you all for coming,” she whispered.

“I would like to start by sharing a poem with you,” she explained.
“When I come to the end of the road,
and the sun has set for me.
I want no rites in a gloom-filled room.
Why cry for a soul set free?
Miss me a little—but not too long,
and not with your head bowed low.
Remember the love that was once shared.
Miss me, but let me go.
“For this is a journey we all must take, and each must go alone.
It’s all a part of the master’s plan, a step on the road to home.
When you are lonely and sick of heart, go to the friends we know.
Bear your sorrow in good deeds. Miss me, but let me go.”

Isabel was sobbing as she finished the poem. Alex wanted to step forward to comfort her and was on the verge of it when Max did. He stood next to Isabel and wrapped a comforting arm around her.

“Daddy, I know you’re listening and watching us right now and I wanted to tell you how much we love you,” she cried. “You were the best father we could have asked for and we’re going to miss you so very much.”

Unable to talk any longer Isabel buried her head against Max’s chest and sobbed her heart out.

Max felt tears spring to his own eyes but he took a deep breath. “Dad was taken from us quickly and unexpected and we never got the chance to say goodbye, to tell him how proud we were of him and to thank him for the wonderful life he provided us all.” Max said.

“We love you Dad,” he whispered before he led Isabel back to Michael and his mother.

Liz looked around the hundreds of people that had returned to the homestead for the wake but she couldn’t spot him anywhere.

She caught sight of the stables out of the corner of her eye and her feet began moving towards it like they had a sixth sense. She wasn’t surprised when she found him standing inside. He had lost his jacket and tie and was standing by Princess stroking her beautiful mane.

“She’s beautiful isn’t she?” Liz smiled.

Max turned at the sound of her voice, his face registering his surprise that she had found him.

“Phillip bought her for Isabel a few years ago,” she informed him.

Max nodded.

“Did you want something?” he asked eventually.

“No,” Liz replied moving towards him. “I was just worried about you.”

Max looked up surprised again. “You were?”

“Yeah,” she smiled. “I just wanted you to know that when you’re ready to talk that I’m here.”

Max smiled. “Uh, thanks,” he replied.

“Just don’t keep it bottled up for too long, ok?” she whispered.

Max nodded.

Without much thought Liz reached out then and took his much larger hand in her own small one. Max looked down at their hands and watched as she entwined their fingers together in a similar fashion to something she would have done when they were little.

“Come on,” she whispered. “Lets go up and get something to eat, I’m sure we can still find a piece of one of Amy’s pies somewhere,” she smiled up at him.

“In a second,” he replied not quite ready to face everyone.

“Ok,” she agreed.

“You can go,” Max told her.

“No, it’s ok.” Liz smiled happy where she was. “I’ll just wait with you,” she told him.

Michael continued to stare at the stables where he had seen Liz disappear into. He wondered what she was doing down there and was about to go and see if she was ok when he finally saw her emerge. He stepped forward to meet her half way to make sure everything was ok when he caught sight of the person trailing behind her.

He watched in shock and anger as Liz, with her hand tightly enclosed in Max’s led him out of the stables and up towards the house.

Quote 1 - No Person is Ever Truly Alone - by Richard Fife
Quote 2 – Miss Me But Let Me Go – Author Unknown
Emz80m
Roswell Fanatic

Post by Emz80m »

Opps :roll: I totally forgot to update this the other night. I'm so sorry. Thank you to everyone who is reading, i really appreciate your feedback. :D

Six

Liz and Maria looked up when they heard the sound of the car coming towards them.

“Looks like Michael,” Maria commented.

Liz squinted against the sun trying to see better before nodding. “I guess so,” she assumed not knowing anyone else that drove a black Ute.

Michael smiled as hopped out of the car and found the two women working hard. They were both wearing tank tops and the signs of their hard work showed from their sweaty skin, which was glistening in the heat.

“Ladies,” Michael greeted.

Maria smiled at him removing her hat and doing her best to straighten her hair.

“Hi Michael,” she replied.

“What’s up Mikey?” Liz asked not once taking her eyes off her shovel and the ground she was digging. Liz hadn’t seen him or any of the other members of the Evans family since the funeral last week. She had wanted desperately to go and see Max, she was worried he’d leave without saying goodbye but they had so much work to do on Parkers that she hadn’t had time and when the day was over she was exhausted.

“Not much just came over to see what you ladies were up to tonight?” he asked.

“Why?” Maria asked.

“I was thinking of heading into the Pub for a game of pool, how bout it Lizzie?” he smiled.

Liz was a shark when it came to playing pool.

Finally setting her shovel down Liz pulled her own hat off and wiped the sweat off her brow with her forearm.

“Who else is going?” she asked.

It wasn’t that she didn’t like Michael but she was conscious of the fact that her parents hoped that she might marry him someday and she didn’t want to do anything that might make them think it was a possibility. To put it quite simply Liz considered Michael an annoying brother.

“I’m in,” Maria piped up.

Although Maria had never admitted it to Liz, she had had the biggest crush on Michael Evans for years. She knew that he had never looked twice at her, it was quite obvious that he had a thing for Liz but that didn’t stop her from hoping that one day he might wake up and realise that she wasn’t a little girl anymore. She was after all only a couple of years younger than Liz.

“I’m sure Alex will be keen too.” Maria said.

“What about Isabel and Max?” Liz asked Michael.

Maria and Liz both watched as Michael visibly tensed at the mention of Max’s name.

“Isabel will probably stay at home with Dianne,” he said.

“Yeah true,” Maria agreed. “But that’s ok there still four of us and that’s enough for a game of doubles,” she pointed out.

Liz looked between Michael and Maria while she considered her options. On one hand she was relieved to hear that Dianne was still at Killarny because that meant Max was too but she was disappointed that Max would probably not be coming with them.

“If Alex is going then yeah I guess,” she finally answered.

“I’ll go see if I can get Alex on the radio.” Maria said eagerly before walking off towards the Ute leaving Michael and Liz alone.

“Maybe we could head in early and grab some dinner?” Michael suggested.

Liz looked up at him. “Yeah if the others are keen, why not?” Liz shrugged.

“I thought maybe just the two of us, we could meet up with Maria and Alex afterwards.”

Liz cocked her head to the side as she thought about Michael’s question. Was he asking her out? If so why? He had never shown any real interest in being anything more than her friend over the years, as far as Liz was concerned he had always just considered her and Maria one of the boys.

Before Liz could answer Maria returned from the Ute wearing a frown.

“Alex isn’t answering,” she informed them.

“That’s ok we’ll ask him later,” Liz said. “He’s probably just out away from the radio.”

“Great,” Maria grinned. “So we’ll leave at seven?” she asked Michael

“Whatever,” he grunted.

“We should all just go together.” Liz said then, her eyes giving Michael an answer to his earlier question.

Michael nodded and did his best to hide his disappointment. “Maybe another time?” He whispered.

“Yeah,” Liz nodded.

“See you girls tonight,” he said then before making his way back to his Ute, hopping in, and driving off.

Maria waited till he was gone before she turned to Liz. “What was all that about?”

“What?” Liz feigned innocent.

“The secret little conversation the two of you had at the end?” Maria pointed out.

“Oh nothing. He just asked if I wanted to grab dinner before hand,” Liz shrugged.

“Like a date?” Maria frowned.

“No,” Liz shook her head. “Just dinner.”

“Sounds like a date to me,” Maria told her.

“Well since it’s not happening then it can’t be a date now can it?” Liz smiled. She wasn’t as oblivious to Maria’s feelings as her best friend thought she was. Liz saw the way Maria stared at Michael when she didn’t think anyone was looking. She also knew that Michael didn’t really pay very much attention to Maria. As far as he was concerned Maria was still the tomboy who he used to pick on when they were little.

“I’m going to try Alex again,” Maria said.

Liz continued digging the trench until she returned with a frown.

“Alex said he can’t come,” she told Liz.

“Why not?” she asked.

“He said he had things to do” Maria shrugged not having any idea better than Liz about what those things would be.

“Oh,” Liz frowned. “That leaves us one short for doubles.”

“You could ask Max?” Maria suggested knowing that secretly Liz wanted too.

“I don’t know,” Liz sighed knowing that Michael wouldn’t be too happy about it.

“You were going over there this afternoon anyway so just ask him.” Maria said. “You know you want to,” she teased.

Liz blushed at Maria’s teasing. “Fine,” she said. “I’ll ask.”

Liz grinned then as a plan formed in her mind. She wanted to do something nice for her best friend and she thought this might be the perfect idea.

“You know Ria,” she said. “I think we should knock off a little early tonight and really go all out getting ready for tonight.”

“Why, we’re just playing pool?” Maria said.

“Yeah but we’re playing pool with two of Gungallens most eligible guys,” Liz smiled.

Maria thought about Liz’s comment before nodding eagerly. “What will I wear though?” she asked.

Liz laughed then, “Oh Ria don’t worry about it. I knew all those expensive clothes my mum insists on buying me every time we go to the city would pay off eventually. Good thing we’re about the same size.”

“Yeah,” Maria smiled. “But first you have to convince Max,” Maria pointed out.

Liz frowned as she thought about what a hard task that was going to be. Liz knew that Michael would hate it when he found out that she had invited Max, she also realised that as soon as Max found Michael was going that he would probably say no. The last thing Liz wanted to do was to get in between the guys but she thought that there little feud had gone on for long enough. On top of that Liz liked both Michael and Max and she didn’t want to have to choose between the two. Truthfully Liz knew that she liked Max in a completely different way to Michael.

“You’re right,” Liz agreed. Her shoulders stiffened then as she already began to prepare herself for not taking no for an answer from Max. This might be the last time she got to spend time with him before he left her life again, this time maybe for good and she was determined to make the most of it.

Liz flicked the mirror down on the sun visor and checked her appearance one last time before she hopped out of the Ute and walked towards the front door of Killarny.

After her and Maria had finished digging the trench she had gone home and had a shower, washed her hair and changed into a clean pair of jeans and top.

She raised her hand and knocked hesitantly on the door.

Liz and the others didn’t normally knock when at Killarny but with Dianne and Max being home she thought it was the right thing to do.

“Liz!” Dianne greeted as she opened the door.

“Hi Dianne,” Liz smiled.

“You look nice,” she commented causing Liz to blush.

“Thank you,” she said.

“Would you like to come in?” she offered then stepping aside.

“Um actually I was looking for Max?” she explained and blushed again when Dianne smiled at her.

“Well he’s down in the sheds I think,” she told Liz.

“Thanks Dianne.” Liz replied before she headed off towards the sheds to look for Max.

Liz poked her head in all the sheds until she finally found Max. He was sitting at the desk Phillip used going through all the things that had been forgotten.

Liz smiled at the way he sat back in his chair much like his father had.

“Are you busy?” she asked startling him.

He smiled when he saw her and waved her in. “No I’m just going through some of this stuff trying to see what’s important and what’s not.”

“I thought Michael would have done that?” Liz frowned.

“I think Michael’s too busy with all the other stuff,” he replied diplomatically. The truth is Michaels hadn’t been able to bring himself to enter what was obviously their father’s office yet. But Max knew that there were most likely important things in there that had to be taken care of.

“Yeah, true,” Liz nodded. For years Phillip, Michael, and Isabel had run Killarny on their own and Liz wondered if Michael had ever really had anything to do with all the paperwork before.

Liz noticed then that Max was looking at the ordering sheets and stock lists. He appeared to be making notes as well.

“You seem to know a fair bit about this stuff,” she said surprised.

“Um, well yeah, I guess,” he shrugged. “I studied this type of thing at uni,” he admitted then.

“Really?” Liz asked surprised.

“Yeah, I majored in business and minored in Agriculture.” He said feeling embarrassed to admit that to her.

“That’s what I did too,” she told him then.

“You went to uni?” Max asked surprised he didn’t think Liz had ever left the farm.

“Yeah by correspondence,” she told him.

“You must have done it pretty quickly,” Max said then. It had taken him four years to finish the course. Because of his injuries and rehab Max was always behind in school from an early age. It had taken him till he was 20 to finish his HSC.

“Um yeah I did it in three,” she explained.

Max nodded and smiled at her.

“So what brings you by?” he asks then taking in her clean appearance. She looked nice, very nice in fact although he thought she looked nice whatever she was wearing. But today her hair was hanging loose, it was the first time he had seen it like that and he couldn’t get over how beautiful she looked.

“Actually I was looking for you,” she smiled. “We’re going to the pub tonight to play some pool and I wanted to ask if you would come,” she said.

“Oh,” Max said surprised.

“You do play pool don’t you?” she smirked.

“I’ll have you know Parker that I’m quite a good pool player,” he said then.

“Really?” she teased, she was just happy that she had distracted him from asking who was coming. “Well then I guess you’ll be joining us tonight to put your money where your mouth is.”

Max recognised what she was doing and he had to smile at our cute she was. “Ok, what time?” he asked.

“Seven,” she replied. “I’m driving so I’ll pick you up.”

“Ok,” Max nodded all of a sudden looking forward to getting to spend the night Liz.
Emz80m
Roswell Fanatic

Post by Emz80m »

Thank you to everyone reading, especially those leaving feedback. I know this is very different to my normal stuff, and certainly different from amything else on the board and i appreciate your support! :D

behrluv32
guelbebek
BehrObsession
begonia9508
Jason's Lover
Mariael311
Ellie

Seven

“Why are you all dressed up?” Isabel asked Michael as she watched him trying to tame his wild hair in the bathroom mirror. He was wearing a clean pair of jeans and long sleeve shirt that was normally reserved for dates. He was also going to a lot of trouble to do something with his appearance, which was uncharacteristic for Michael.

Michael shrugged as he looked at Isabel through the mirror. “No reason.”

“What are you doing tonight?” she asked.

“Going into the pub,” he replied.

“You?” he asked.

“Oh, I’ll probably have tea with mum,” she answered. The truth was that as soon as Michael left she was heading over to spend the night with Alex. She had missed him so much over the past few weeks.

“Ok, well I’ll see you later,” Michael smiled.

Dianne looked up as Max limped into the living room.

“Hey sweetie,” she greeted him.

Max smiled. “Hey Mum. I won’t be home for tea tonight I’m going to the pub with Liz,” he told her.

Dianne smiled at her son, it had been a long time since she had seen him so happy as he looked tonight and she couldn’t help but think that it had something to do with Liz.

“Oh that’s great honey, have fun,” she smiled at him.

Max nodded and moved forward to kiss her just as Michael and Isabel walked into the room then.

“Are you going out too?” Isabel asked when she saw that Max was also dressed up. He was wearing a pair of faded blue jeans and a black t-shirt, which showed off his toned torso. It was also a contrast to Michael who had on plain blue jeans, cowboy boots, and a blue button down shirt.

“Why, are you going out too?” Max asked Isabel completely ignoring Michael. Over the past week it had become obvious to Max that Michael wanted nothing to do with him. He went out of his way to ignore him and Dianne even going as far as not showing up for meals and frankly Max was sick of it. If that was the way that Michael wanted things to be then Max had no problem doing the same thing.

“Um no,” Isabel replied.

“Yeah I’m going out,” Max smiled at his twin sister.

Isabel frowned. “Where?” she wondered.

“The pub,” Max told her.

Michael frowned when he heard Max’s answer. He wondered who Max knew in Gungahlin that he would be going to the pub with.

Car lights shone through the windows then as Liz and Maria pulled one of the Parkers Ute’s into the driveway at Killarny.

“That will be the girls,” Michael said. “I’ll see you later Iz,” he said.

A few seconds later Liz’s voice drifted through the screen door. “Hello?”

Michael smiled as he walked towards her. “Hey,” he greeted.

“Hi,” Liz replied.

“I’m ready so lets get out of here,” Michael declared waiting for her to walk back out the way she had come. He couldn’t wait to get away from Dianne and Max, he wished they would just head back to the city again.

Max frowned as he watched Michael talk to Liz.

Liz didn’t move though her eyes were locked guiltily with Max.

“What are you waiting for Liz?” Michael asked.

“Max is coming with us,” she said her eyes still locked with Max’s.

“I think I’ll pass Liz,” Max said.

“No don’t,” Liz stepped forward ignoring Michael’s glare. “Come, please?” She pleaded.

Max looked up and met Michael’s angry glare. It was obvious that his brother had a thing for Liz and it was just as obvious that either Liz didn’t realise this or she didn’t feel the same. But one look into Liz’s hopeful eyes there was no way he could say no to her and he realised he didn’t want too.

“Ok,” he nodded.

Liz rewarded him with a huge grin.

“Whatever,” Michael snapped. “Lets get going already,” he said as he stalked angrily out of the house towards the waiting car.

Maria hopped out of the passenger side of the car as Michael approached. Liz had leant her hipster jeans and a new top, which showed off her ample cleavage. She hoped that maybe a change in appearance might cause Michael to notice her.

“Hey,” She smiled.

“Hey,” Michael said as he opened the back door and hopped in. Maria decided it would best then if she sat in the back with him leaving the passenger seat to Max.

“Looks like you get the front with me,” Liz said as her and Max walked towards the car.

Max remained silent and Liz sighed. “You’re angry with me for not telling you Michael was coming aren’t you?” she asked.

“I just don’t understand why you would do that, you know he can’t stand me,” Max replied. He wasn’t angry he was a little annoyed, he had thought he was going to be spending the night with Liz and it turns out would have to deal with Michael and Maria as well.

Liz looked over at him and instantly felt bad. She hadn’t really thought about anyone’s feelings but her own when she had invited Max. “I’m sorry I just wanted to spend some time with you,” she admitted embarrassed.

Despite himself Max smiled at her admission. “Well you just have to ask,” he said quietly.

“Ok,” Liz smiled.

She was surprised when Max followed her around to the driver’s side and opened her door for her before rushing back around to his own.

“Hi Max,” Maria said cheerfully from the back.

“Hey Maria,” Max replied.

Liz could feel the tension in the car and she instantly regretted her decision. She had a feeling it was going to be a long night.

“Lets go,” she said.

The Pub was fairly busy which was unusual for a Friday night. Gungahlin was a small town and there wasn’t really anything else to do for most of the men that worked on of the farms in the area.

Luckily for them though the pool table was open and Michael wasted no time claiming it.

“Ok so it will be me and Liz versus Max and Maria,” Michael declared.

Maria looked at Max and eyes him sceptically. “Can you play?” she asked.

Max shrugged. “I’m ok,” he lied.

Maria shook her head then and turned back to Michael. “No that’s unfair. You and Liz are the best players so you should be on separate teams,” she pointed out.

Liz nodded. “Fair enough. I’ll play with Max and you can play with Michael, Maria,” Liz agreed.

Liz could tell that Michael was going to object. “We’ll switch around for the next game,” she said silencing him.

They flipped a coin to see who would break and Michael and Maria won. Michael set the balls up and with a powerful stroke broke, sinking two balls.

“We’re colours Maria,” he informed her.

He missed his next shot and Liz shared a look with Max to see if he wanted to go first.

“You go,” he smiled. He watched as she leant over the pool table giving him a wonderful view of her firm toned ass, he also noticed he wasn’t the only person in the pub checking her out.

Liz sunk three of their half coloured balls before missing a shot.

“Ok Maria,” Michael stood up. “Try and sink that yellow one,” he told her pointing to one that was sitting in the pocket already.

“Ok,” Maria nodded.

Both Liz and Michael knew that Maria was a dreadful player but with Michaels skilful coaching Maria was able to hit the yellow ball putting it into the corner pocket.

“Yes I got it!” She squealed jumping up and down a few times before lunging into Michael’s arms. He was surprised at first but quickly recovered to catch her and hug her back awkwardly. She looked nice tonight he noticed for the first time. He wondered when his little Maria had grown up.

Maria’s next shot wasn’t as lucky and soon Max was lining up to take his shot.

His first shot he sunk an easy corner. Liz watched anxiously, she knew he said he could play but she hadn’t expected him to be very good. His next shot he bounced the white ball off the side of the table to sink two of balls into separate corner pockets. Liz’s mouth fell open in shock. “Wow,” she said.

Max looked up and winked at her with a smile. A few shots later the only ball left on the table for Max and Liz was the black and Max sunk it easily giving them the game.

“Looser’s buy drinks don’t they?” Max smirked at Michael and Maria.

Michael glared at his brother. “What do you want?” he asked.

“Beer,” Max nodded. “Liz?” he asked.

“Yeah a beer sounds good,” she grinned at Max.

“Way to go Max,” Maria congratulated him as she followed Michael to the bar to help with drinks.

“You’re good,” Liz smiled at him.

“Yeah I play a bit,” he replied with a shrug.

“Yeah it looks like it.”

“You’re not too bad yourself,” he told her.

“I try,” she shrugged.

“Thanks for inviting me, I’m glad I came,” Max said then.

Liz smiled shyly at him then. They were standing close together and to an onlooker they looked like potential lovers.

“I’m glad you came too,” she replied.

They stood staring at each other for a few seconds then until Michael loudly slapped their beers onto the nearby table.

“Lets play again,” Michael declared.

Liz regretfully looked away from Max then and towards Michael.

“How about me and Maria versus you guys this time?” she suggested.

Max and Michael shared a look before Michael grunted. “What ever.”

By the end of the night it was obvious that Max and Liz were by far the best pool players whilst Maria was the worst.

Maria was slightly drunk by the time they called it a night and Michael had to help her walk to the car while Max and Liz trailed slowly behind them. Liz could tell that Max was tired because his limp had got progressively worse through the night but she didn’t ask him if he was ok. She sensed it was something he wasn’t ready to talk about.

“She’s a firecracker isn’t she,” Max laughed as he watched Michael trying to handle Maria who refused to shut up.

“Yeah,” Liz agreed.

“I had fun tonight,” she blurted out then.

“Me too,” Max agreed.

“Maybe we could…” Liz trailed off nervously. She had never asked a guy out before and was surprised she was doing so now.

“Yeah I’d like that,” Max quickly said.

Liz smiled then. “Good.”

“Yeah,” Max grinned back.

Eight

Max pulled up in the driveway and got out to take a look around. Unlike Killarny, Parkers had definitely gone through a lot of changes in all the years he had been gone. The homestead had been extended and the gardens had grown to give more privacy. Max thought it was truly beautiful and wasn’t surprised that Liz and Alex loved this place.

“Hey you made it,” Liz smiled as she spotted him.

Max looked up at her and smiled. Once he was on the road it was easy to remember how to get to Parkers. What he was doing here he wasn’t quite sure.

“Yep,” he smiled.

He couldn’t help but admire how beautiful she looked once again. Her hair was neatly braided in two braids and her jeans fit her petite body very nicely.

“Well we should go,” Liz declared walking off the porch towards him.

“Where exactly is it that we’re going?” Max asked curiously.

Liz had called him earlier that morning and asked him if he would go somewhere with her that afternoon. Of course he had agreed eager to spend as much time with her as possible before he left. It was still going to take a few weeks to sort out his father’s estate and Max and Dianne had decided to stay on during that time.

Liz grinned at Max’s curious expression. He was wearing a football cap today and Liz thought he looked cute.

“Just follow me,” she told him and waited for him to fall into step beside her as she headed towards the sheds.

Max looked around the enormous shed as they entered and admired all the up to date equipment stored in there.

“Parkers must be doing well,” he said.

Liz smiled and nodded. “Yeah, the last few years have been pretty good. We’ve got some prime cattle in which is getting us a higher market price,” she told him.

“That’s good. It might be more up front costs but you’re proof that it pays off in the end,” he said. He had been studying the books at Killarny for the past few days and he had noticed that his father’s profit margin had been dropping every year. Even with Michael and Isabel taking a small pay cheque they were barely staying above water.

“Exactly. The first year was tough but every year it’s just got better and now with Wilgul we’re able to run with thousands more cattle.”

They stopped walking when they reached a blue and white trail bike parked near a smaller red and white one.

“Can you ride?” Liz asked.

Max looked at the bikes and then Liz. “Why?”

“We purchased these bikes to go between Drovers and Wilgul,” Liz explained. “It cuts down your travel time by taking the long way around and these things are great on the land.”

“Who’s is this?” Max asked pointing at the larger bike.

“Alex’s and this one is mine,” she replied and pointed at the red and white one.

“Cool.” Max smiled. The idea of Liz riding was kind of sexy.

“So you want to go for a ride?” she asked hopeful. This was the only way she could think of to get Max out in the land. She wanted him to remember his roots, where he came from, and what he loved about it.

“I can’t ride,” he said regretfully.

“Oh,” Liz frowned and contemplated her options. “Well I guess you’ll just have to ride behind me,” she smiled then. “And one day I’ll teach you,” she said proudly.

“You sure?” Max asked.

“Yep.” She grinned and pulled her bike out from the wall and kicked it over. She sat on the bike and waited for Max who was just staring at her unsure.

“What are you waiting for?” she yelled over the roar of the engine. “Hop on.”

Finally Max stepped forward and kicked his bad leg over so he could straddle it.

“Don’t we need helmets or something?” He asked, his mouth pressed closely against Liz’s ear.

Liz shivered slightly. “Nah we’ll be ok. Just hang on tight ok?” She yelled back.

Max nodded and shifted forward on the seat until he was pressed against Liz’s back. His large hands slipped easily around her tiny waist and once Liz was sure he was on she pushed off and rode slowly out of the shed.

Jeff and Nancy Parker were sitting on the porch and looked at each other curiously when they saw Liz’s bike zip across a paddock with Liz and someone on the back.

“Is that Max?” she asked.

“It looked a bit like him,” Jeff nodded.

“Kids are funny,” she sighed. “It doesn’t seem to matter that it’s been sixteen years since they’ve seen each other. Those two have easily slipped back into their old ways.”

As children Liz and Max has always been exceptionally close. Max was always protective of Liz and most of the time would prefer to stay and play with her then to take of with Alex and Michael to be a boy.

“We should have them over for tea,” Jeff commented then.

Nancy looked at him curiously. “The whole Evans clan. It’s been ages since we had a barbeque.”

“Ok,” Nancy nodded.

“Great. I’ll organise it for the weekend,” he nodded.

Max smiled as Liz raced the bike across the paddocks. He couldn’t remember the last time he felt so free. The further away from the homestead they got the more beautiful everything became and even though it had been sixteen years he still remembered a few of the places they were passing.

Eventually Liz pulled up near the creek and turned the bike off.

Max slid off the bike first and looked around with a grin.

“So what do you think?” Liz asked.

“That was awesome,” He grinned.

“Yeah it is,” she agreed.

“Not as good as a horse but still good,” he added quietly.

“Yeah, I don’t think anything beats racing through the paddocks on the back of a horse but this is definitely a close second.” Liz acknowledged getting off the bike and moving to stand next to Max who was watching the creek.

They walked slowly towards the edge of the creek and soon they were sitting on the edge their shoes off and their jeans rolled up as they dipped their feet in the cool area.

“So Liz tell about me something about you,” Max eventually broke the silence and asked. The whole time he had been there everything had been about him.

“What do you want to know?” Liz asked.

“Everything,” he smiled.

Liz blushed. “Well my life really isn’t that exciting but lets see….” She thought about what to tell him and soon she was talking his ear off about growing up on Parkers through the drought and the hard times. How she had refused to be sent of to boarding school in Adelaide and instead travelled on the bus to school every day in Gungahlin.

“So why didn’t you leave to go to college?” he asked curiously.

“I would have missed this place too much,” she shrugged. “I’m a simple country girl Max and the city has never really appealed to me.”

“Yeah I can see that,” he smiled. He knew she would fit in the city without a problem but he knew her heart belonged on the land. You could take the girl out of the country but you would never take the country out of the girl.

“You must like the city to have stayed for so long,” she commented then.

“It’s ok,” he said. “Mum has a coffee shop and I used to work there after school when I could,” he replied.

“Why did you stay away so long?” she asked then.

Max looked down at the water where he was kicking his good foot.

“It wasn’t to punish him,” he whispered. “It was never to punish him.”

Liz could hear the sob that had gathered in his throat and she knew that this was a long time coming.

“He knew that,” Liz replied. How many times had she heard Phillip talk about something Max had done that he was extremely proud of? He was always talking about how well he did in school.

“I loved him so much Liz but I hurt him so much too,” he cried.

It was his fault his parent’s marriage hadn’t lasted. He had taken so much of his mother’s time and attention that eventually she had nothing left for Phillip.

Liz moved closer and wrapped her arm around his shoulders. “He knew that,” she soothed him. “He understood,” she added knowing deep down that Phillip did.

“I was so selfish. I didn’t care about anyone else but myself,” he said. “It was my fault mum never came home. I had to have all that rehab and then when the Doctors said I could stop I didn’t want to come home.”

“Was that because you couldn’t walk properly?”

Max nodded. “What use was I when I couldn’t do anything?” he asked.

“Hey,” Liz chided him. “Just because you can’t ride doesn’t mean you can’t do anything,” she said.

Max snorted, “I can’t help with the cattle or anything.”

“Ok, maybe that was true back then but now you could get a bike, Alex uses it all the time to round the cattle up and there is plenty of other things that you could do. I saw you with all that paperwork the other day and you were very good,” she pointed out.

Max looked up at her surprised. Liz always knew what to say to make him feel good about himself and he wondered if she did that to everyone or just to him. Unable to stop herself Liz reached out and wiped the tears gently away from his eyes.

Their eyes locked and soon they were both slowly leaning in. The first touch of their lips was gentle but explosive and Liz sighed in pleasure. Max pulled back and looked at her reaction before he leaned in and kissed her harder. Liz responded immediately shifting so that she could get closer to him. Max’s hand drifted to the back off her head and he wished that her hair was loose so he could run his hands through it.

“Wow,” Liz whispered when the kiss eventually ended. Liz had kissed a few boys in her life but she had never been kissed the way she had just been by Max.

“Yeah,” he replied with a small smile.

Max looked around their surroundings then before turning back to Liz. “We probably should head back before it gets dark,” he said.

“Yeah,” Liz agreed regretfully.

They headed for the bike and when they got there Liz stopped. “Did you want to give it a go?” she asked.

Max looked at her surprised. “Are you sure?” he asked. After watching Liz ride he had a fair idea of what to do and thought he would be ok. It seemed it was about balance and he was okay with that.

“Positive,” she grinned. Liz loved the idea of sitting behind Max, her arms wrapped around him as she was pressed against his back.

“Ok,” he grinned back. He hopped on the bike and Liz told him to go for a spin by himself before she attempted to jump on.

Liz watched as he shakily drove in circles around the paddock but he managed to do it without any problems and Liz was cheering for him as he finally pulled the bike up next to her.

“Ok hop on,” He grinned proudly.

Liz slid on easily and smiled as she wrapped her arms around Max’s strong chest.

“You ok?” Max asked enjoying the feel of her pressed up against him.

“Uh huh,” she replied.

Hesitantly and slowly at first Max pushed off and began the ride back to Parkers. As the journey continued he grew more confident and soon they were flying across the paddocks just like they had been a few hours earlier.

Once back at Parkers Max rode the bike back into the shed into the position it was in earlier.

“That was awesome,” Max grinned as he turned off the bike.

“You’re a natural,” Liz replied as she slid of the bike.

“Well I had a good teacher,” Max flirted his arm reaching out to rest on Liz’s hip.

Liz blushed and stepped forward preparing to lean in and share another kiss with Max. They’re lips had barely touched when someone made their presence known by clearing their throat.

Liz jumped back from Max startled and looked up to find the amused eyes of her older brother.

“Alex!” she yelped.

“Liz,” he said. “Max.”

Max cleared his throat. “Hi Alex.”

“What’s up?” Liz asked her brother now avoiding his gaze.

“Mum sent me out to ask if Max wanted to stay for dinner,” Alex replied.

Liz and Max shared a look before Max nodded. “Yeah that would be great,” he replied. “I’ll just have to call and let mum and Isabel know.”

“Actually Isabel is here too,” Alex told them.

“Great,” Liz smiled. “We’ll just finish up in here and come in,” Liz told him giving him the hint that it was time for him to leave.

“Ok,” Alex grinned. He couldn’t wait to tell Isabel what he had just walked in on. He knew that Isabel wanted Max to stay on at Killarny and maybe Liz was a reason he would.
Last edited by Emz80m on Mon Jun 19, 2006 6:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Emz80m
Roswell Fanatic

Post by Emz80m »

So sorry guys, was going to post Wednesday night but RF was down and then last night i went out to dinner, anyway here is the part for you, i hope you enjoy :D

Nine

Michael frowned as he entered the kitchen and only found Dianne. She was standing at the stove stirring something and he had to admit it smelt good. Isabel tried hard but she wasn’t the best cook in the world.

“Where is everyone?” he asked.

Dianne turned surprised to see him in the doorway.

“It’s just us tonight. Isabel and Max are having dinner at the Parkers,” she told him.

Michael frowned as he wondered what his sister and brother were doing at the Parkers. “What are they doing there?” he asked Dianne.

Dianne eyed Michael carefully before answering. “Isabel is seeing Alex,” she told him.

“As in dating?” Michael asked surprised.

Dianne nodded.

“Since when?” he asked.

“A little while. They wanted to keep things quiet,” she shrugged.

Michael snorted.

“Max called a little while ago and said he was staying too. He went over to see Liz this afternoon,” Dianne informed him. She knew she could have left that information out, as it was Michael was already jealous of all the time Liz and Max were spending together.

Michaels frown deepened.

“Nancy Parker rang earlier and invited us to a BBQ on the weekend,” she told him.

“I said we’d all come. I hope that’s ok with you?” She told him.

“Fine,” Michael answered.

“Are you hungry? Dinner is almost ready?” she said.

“What is it?” Michael asked.

“Its my famous stew,” she told him.

Michael frowned further. Dianne’s stew was a favourite of Michaels.

Dianne sighed when she noticed Michael watching her suspiciously. “Look Michael its just stew, if you’re hungry sit down and we’ll eat if not that’s fine too.”

Michael nodded and sat down at the table. Dianne smiled as she turned back to the stove and place some stew in the bowls she had ready.

They sat in silence eating and when Michael finished he stood up and placed his bowl into the sink.

“Was it ok?” Dianne asked.

“Yeah,” Michael said. “Thanks,” he added.

“You’re welcome Michael,” Dianne said.

Michael moved to walk out of the room then but stopped as he reached the door. “When will you and Max be leaving?” he asked.

Dianne looked up surprised. “We haven’t decided,” she told him.

“Don’t you have a coffee shop to run?” he asked.

Dianne nodded. She would have to back sooner rather than later but right now she had someone who was running it for her. “I have someone helping me out for a while.”

“Humph,” Michael said. “Must be nice.”

“Michael?” Dianne called out.

Michael stopped and turned around slightly to listen to Dianne. “I know I hurt you when I left, and I know you think that Max and I abandoned everyone but you don’t know the full story,” she told him.

“What I know is that you and Max left sixteen years ago and this is the first time he’s stepped foot on Killarny since then,” Michael snorted.

“You have no idea what he went through Michael,” Dianne said pained. “You have no idea what any of us went through you were too busy being a child, running around without a care in the world while Max went through operation after operation to mend his leg and years of rehab. You remember that next time you judge Max,” she said angrily standing up and turning her back on her stepson.

Michael hesitated in the door for only a second before he turned and stormed off to his bedroom.

It didn’t matter what excuses Dianne made it didn’t change the fact that she had deserted his father and him.

“Wow, we have a full table tonight,” Jeff Parker commented as he sat at the head of the formal dinning table.

“Yeah, it’s nice,” Nancy said.

Nancy sat next to Jeff on one said and Amy sat on the other. Alex sat on the other end with Isabel next to him and Liz sat on the other side with Max next to her. Maria rounded off the table seated in between her mother and Isabel.

Isabel looked nervously at the full table. She hadn’t expected everything to be so formal. She was glad that Max was there however it gave her a little bit of comfort. She eyes her brother and Liz careful who kept exchanging small smiles. Alex had told her what he had witnessed earlier and she had been shocked but at the same time very hopeful. If by some miracle something happened with Max and Liz then he might be tempted to stay at Killarny.

“So Isabel how have you been?” Nancy asked.

“Ok, thanks,” Isabel replied.

“Are things ok over at Killarny?” Jeff asked concerned. “Because you know if you need anything you just need to ask.”

“To tell you the truth I have no idea. I’ve been really pre-occupied,” she admitted realising for the first time how much she had been neglecting her work since her father’s death.

“Things are fine Jeff,” Max spoke up. “We’ll have to make some adjustments to stay on top of things in the next few months but it will be ok,” he said.

Jeff seemed surprised by Max’s answer, as did Isabel who had no idea that Max had been paying any attention to Killarny.

“I didn’t realise you were involved in the farm anymore Max.” Jeff smiled. “Phillip would be very proud.”

“I just finished a double degree in Business and Ag,” Max replied shyly.

“Wow a double degree,” Jeff grinned.

“Isn’t that the same thing you did Liz?” Nancy asked.

“Yep,” Liz smiled.

Max and Liz exchanged small smiles then.

“Does that mean you’ll be staying on Max?” Jeff asked.

Max looked up startled by Jeff’s question. “Oh um, you know…”

“He doesn’t have to decide that right now Dad,” Liz spoke up.

“No of course not,” Jeff agreed.

“So...” Alex spoke up then. “Isabel and I wanted to have dinner with you to tell you that we’ve been seeing each other.”

Jeff and Nancy looked up surprised and soon the surprise turned to smiles.

“That’s wonderful news,” Nancy told them.

“Thanks,” Isabel smiled.

Liz and Maria both looked shocked and Max just smiled happy that his sister had found such a great guy.

“That’s great,” he told his sister.

“Well all this time I thought it would be Liz and Michael getting married and joining the Evans and Parker families together that you two slipped under the radar” Jeff Parker laughed.

Max shot a surprised look at Liz who just shook her head at her father’s comment.

“We’re not engaged,” Alex told them. “Yet,” he added sharing a smile with Isabel.

“All in good time,” Nancy laughed knowing quite well that if Alex were anything like his father it wouldn’t be long before he and Isabel were planning a wedding.

“I just wish I’d gotten the chance to tell Dad,” Isabel said sadly.

The table went quiet at her comment. “He’d be proud sweetie,” Jeff told her.

“Yeah I think so too,” she smiled at Jeff.

The dinner went very well after that. The table was alive with conversation for the most of the night and food that Amy and Nancy prepared was wonderful.

“Max, we’re having a BBQ on the weekend. I already rang your mum and invited her but I hope you’ll come too?” Nancy smiled as Max said goodnight to everyone and prepared to leave.

“Sounds great. Thank you,” he said politely.

Liz walked him out to the car after that. Isabel and Alex had left a few minutes earlier to take Isabel home but Liz suspected that they would be heading straight to Wilgul. Her brother’s decision to move to the farm months earlier now made a lot more sense to Liz.

“So that was interesting,” Liz smiled.

“Yeah,” Max replied.

“Did you know about Iz and Alex?” Liz asked.

“No I didn’t, but I’m happy for them,” Max smiled.

“Yeah me too,” Liz agreed.

“So you and Michael?” Max couldn’t help but ask then.

Liz groaned and looked to the ground. “It’s just a bunch of crap that my father and Phillip used to joke about.”

Max nodded. “So have the two of you ever...?”

Liz looked up at Max and smiled shyly then. “Are you jealous?” She asked hopefully.

“What?” Max’s eyes went wide.

Liz giggled. “No there is nothing and has never been anything between Michael and I,” she told him.

“Oh ok… good,” Max smile slightly.

“I kind of have my eye on another Evans,” Liz added in a small whisper then.

Max’s smile got a little bigger at her declaration.

“Yeah?” he asked.

“Uh huh,” Liz nodded.

Following his instincts Max reached forward and pulled Liz the last step towards him. His hand rested on her hips as he met her eyes. “We’d be ruining our fathers well thought out plans,” he told her.

Liz smirked at him “I don’t think they were very well thought out,” she told him.

Her pick tongue darted out of her mouth then to moisten her suddenly dry lips.

“Well in that case then…” Max whispered just before he lent forward and claimed her mouth again.

Liz stepped forward again as Max kissed her and wound her hands around his neck. Max pulled her tighter against him if even possible and was amazed at how perfectly she fit against his body. The kiss went on for what felt like hours but yet was merely minutes and when they pulled back they were both grinning.

“So I guess I’ll see you later,” Liz whispered.

“Um yeah definitely,” he nodded.

Reluctantly Max released Liz from his grasp and she stood back and watched him open the drivers side door of his SUV and climb inside.

Liz watched as the SUV started to drive away until suddenly it stopped. Worried Liz jogged forward until she was peering in the open window.

“Did you forget something?” she asked.

“Yeah,” Max grinned. “Go out with me tomorrow night?” he asked.

Liz’s eyes widened in surprise. “Of course,” she said.

“I’ll pick you up at seven,” he told her before he leant through the window and kissed her again.

He waited for a dazed Liz to step back before he put the car bank into drive and continued to head down the driveway.

Liz stood watching until she could no longer see his taillights, and then with a wide grin she turned and rushed back into the house never remembering being more excited about anything in her life before.

On his way home to Killarny Max was having similar thoughts. He had no idea what he was doing with Liz but he knew that it was the first thing in a long time he had cared about anything so much.
Emz80m
Roswell Fanatic

Post by Emz80m »

Thanks everyonw, i hope you enjoy this next part :D

Ten

“Wow,” Liz said as Max opened the door for her and she stepped out into the parking lot of Mario’s, the most expensive restaurant in Gungahlin. This was where her father brought her mother for their anniversary dinner but Liz had never actually stepped foot inside.

“Isabel assures me the food is wonderful,” Max replied.

Liz’s eyes went wide. “Isabel has been here?” she asked.

Max chuckled; sometimes he forgot that Liz was just a simple girl from a small town. “Yeah a few times, I think Alex might have brought her.”

“Figures,” Liz scoffed.

Max continued to chuckle at Liz’s antics.

The restaurant was quiet when they entered and as such they were shown to the best seat, which over looked the golf club.

“It’s really nice here,” Liz said.

“Yeah it is,” Max agreed only mildly surprised. It was nothing compared to some of the restaurants they had in the city and he wondered if he might be able to convince Liz to visit him some time so he could take her.

“It’s very popular for weddings,” Liz informed him.

“I’m not surprised,” he agreed.

After almost ten minutes studying the menu they finally placed their order and Max ordered them a bottle of wine. He would only be able to have a glass but he knew that Liz would enjoy a couple with dinner.

“So,” Liz said, “Tell me a bit about your life in the city, what do you do there?”

“Well school has kept me fairly busy for the past four years,” Max replied. “I had a pretty full on schedule and I help mum out at the coffee shop when I can.”

“What type of coffee shop does she have?” Liz asked curiously.

“It’s just this small little thing which serves coffee, cakes and sandwiches, that type of thing. But she loves it and it pays the bills,” he replied.

“It sounds great I’d love to see it one day,” Liz smiled.

“Yeah that would be great. You could come to the city to visit,” Max smiled.

However at Max’s words the smile slipped off Liz’s face and Max noticed it immediately.

“Is something wrong?” he asked.

“I guess I just forgot for a while that you don’t live here, that you live thousands of miles away,” she replied sadly.

Max didn’t know what to say because what Liz said was right. He had a life in the city and he wasn’t quite sure he wanted to give it up. Tomorrow his father’s attorney was visiting the house to talk about his father’s estate. Max had no idea what would happen then. He knew he didn’t deserve a share in Killarny but he didn’t think his father would have cut him out, and he was starting to wonder whether Michael and Isabel were cut out to run the property.

“Yeah,” he said.

“Do you have a lot of friends and stuff there?” she wondered.

“Yeah I guess,” he said. “My best friend Tess is there.”

“You have a girl best friend?” Liz asked surprised.

“Yeah,” Max smiled. “Tess and I met when I was in rehab,” he explained.

“Oh,” Liz said.

“Yeah, Tess and her parents had been involved in an accident and she was thrown from the car, her back was broken and she had to learn to walk again.”

“Oh my god!” Liz said.

“Yeah she was in a pretty bad way and I guess I was in a similar way so we bonded.”

“Is she ok now?” Liz asked.

“Yeah, I mean she’ll never run marathons but she walks normally and lives a fairly normal life.” Max told her.

When their food arrived they continued to talk about their lives while eating and when the waiter asked if they would like dessert Liz couldn’t resist ordering the death by chocolate item on the menu.

When it arrived it was a rich piece of chocolate cake accompanied by 3 different types of chocolate ice cream.

“Oh my god just wait till I tell Maria about this,” Liz moaned.

Max couldn’t take his eyes off her and when he heard her moan his imagination took him on a journey, which involved Liz moaning for a totally different reason.

“Do you date much?” Liz asked him then.

“What?” Max asked

“In the city have you had many girlfriends?” she asked curiously. He was an extremely good-looking guy and she thought the girls would go crazy over him.

“Not really,” he replied. When he saw the disbelieving look on Liz’s face though he elaborated a little bit.

“I mean there have been a few girls since I started uni but nothing serious,” he said. “What about you?” he asked then.

Liz smiled slightly. “My options are fairly limited here,” she explained with a blush.

Max watched her carefully for a few minutes before he asked his next question. “Are you saying you haven’t dated before?” He asked shocked.

“Why are you so shocked?” Liz blushed. “I mean sure there have been a few boys that I’ve kissed but none that I’ve liked enough to see.”

“Wow,” he said.

“I know I’m pathetic,” Liz sighed.

“I just can’t believe such a beautiful women could go so long with out capturing the attention of someone truly amazing,” he said awed.

Liz blushed bright red at Max’s words before answering, “Well I kind of hoped I had,” she said.

It was Max’s turn to blush at Liz’s reference to him being that someone wonderful. “You definitely have my attentions,” he whispered reaching across the table and taking her hand in his own.

A half an hour later Max escorted Liz out of the restaurant, their hands tightly clasped. They drove in a comfortable silence back to Parkers where Max helped Liz out of the car and walked her to the house.

“I had a wonderful time tonight,” Liz said.

“Me too,” Max grinned nervously, his hands shoved in his pocket.

“You’re coming to the BBQ on the weekend aren’t you?” she asked hopefully.

“Of course,” he agreed.

He had no idea what was going to happen tomorrow but he knew he wouldn’t leave before the weekend, before seeing Liz again.

“Great,” Liz smiled. “Well I guess I should get to bed I’ve got an early start in the morning.”

“Some things never change,” Max grinned. He had gotten used to being a late sleeper whilst in the city but it was impossible out on the land. Isabel and Michael were both up every morning before six making a whole heap of noise and on most occasions his mother was too.

Liz grinned, “True.”

“Well goodnight,” Max whispered as he took a step forward. There was no way he could walk away with out a kiss.

His hand raised and cupped Liz’s cheek, caressing it softly. “You are so beautiful,” he whispered just before his mouth descended on Liz’s.

The kiss was soft and quick but when Max went to pull back Liz would not allow it. Instead she wrapped her arms around his neck and pulled him snugly against her as her tongue swept along his bottom lip begging for entrance.

Max gave into her instantly and soon their tongues were dancing together. When they pulled back for air neither moved completely away instead they stood with their foreheads pressed together.

“Thank you,” Liz whispered.

“What for?” Max asked confused.

“For tonight, for calling me beautiful, for that kiss,” she replied.

Cupping her cheek again Max pressed his lips against hers once more letting her know that she didn’t need to thank him because it was his absolute pleasure.

“You are beautiful,” he told her.

“So are you,” Liz said with wide eye honesty.

Max blushed and then grinned at her. “Go inside before I throw you over my shoulder and kidnap you,” he joked away the seriousness of the moment. He knew without a doubt that he could fall very hard for Liz Parker if he let himself and what scared him the most was he now wondered if he was already too late.

“Night Max,” Liz said as she opened the door and disappeared inside.

“Night Liz,” he whispered after her.

The Evans family sat around the living room nervously as Robert Cook, Phillips Attorney, organised the papers in his briefcase.

“Ok, I won’t keep you waiting any longer,” he told them aware that everyone in the room was feeling anxious.

“Phillip has requested that any moneys in his personal accounts be shared between his wife Dianne and his children Michael, Maxwell and Isabel,” he informed them.

The all nodded at him no one really knowing what to say during a moment like that.

“Any idea how much money that is?” Isabel finally asked. She didn’t care if her father had nothing but it would be nice to know if there was anything left for them.

Robert Cook smiled at her. “I have a statement which says there is just under $50,000,” he told her.

“Wow,” Michael said shocked.

“Phillip also had trusts accounts set up for each of you Michael, Max and Isabel” he informed them and handed them a piece of paper with the relevant information. The trusts accounts were locked until they were 30 but it was clear from the statements that they were maturing nicely and would have close to $50,000 in them.

“I can’t believe he did this,” Max whispered.

“Now that brings us to property,” he said.

Max saw Michael stiffen at the mention of Killarny.

“Phillip has a mortgage with the National Australia Bank for Killarny,” he explained. “So the property is not owned outright.”

“The information I got from the bank informs me that Killarny is worth 1.6 million dollars in its current condition, and with the earnings your father submitted over the past 12 months. The mortgage outstanding is in the amount of $170,000.”

Max nodded, from the information he had found in his fathers office that seemed about right. He also knew that his father had been ahead on the mortgage until the past few years when he had been withdrawing a fair bit of money. What he was spending it on Max was unsure of.

“Phillip has left Killarny to his three children, Michael, Max and Isabel,” he informed them then.

The only sound in the room was the surprised gasp of Isabel whose eyes went wide.

“You seem surprised?” Robert Cook said.

“I figured Michael would get it all,” she said.

“Dad never would have done that Isabel, you worked just as hard around here as I did. You deserve it,” Michael told her. His words had a double meaning though which were clearly understood by the glare that accompanied them.

“The bank will want to speak to you about what you plan to do,” Robber advised them then.

“Nothing,” Michael answered quickly. “It will be business as usual, they’ll get their money,” he said.

Max sighed at his brother’s ignorance. “Its not that easy Michael,” he said. “We have to show them how we plan to pay them back,” he pointed out.

“It’s got nothing to do with you,” Michael snapped.

“Like hell is doesn’t, in case you didn’t hear him before Dad left me a share in Killarny too,” Max replied angrily.

“Well Dad was too damn kind hearted for his own good. You don’t deserve it and if you think you’re going to come in here and try to ruin what we’ve got going here then you’re mistaken. The moment my trust fund comes through I’ll buy you out,” he yelled.

Max shook his head. “Your trust fund is worth about $50,000 and my share in Killarny is worth 10 times that,” Max told him.

“I’ll find a way,” Michael gritted out.

“Enough!” Isabel stood up and yelled. She hated the fact that her brothers didn’t get along and in truth she feared it would come to this. In some ways she agreed with Michael but then other times she knew that it was only fair Max got a share in what was rightfully his.

Max immediately backed down and apologised. “I’m sorry Iz, now is not the time,” he also nodded to Robert Cook.

Michael however shook his head and stormed out of the house.

“I’m sorry Mr Cook please continue,” Isabel said quietly.

“As I was saying you will need to talk to the bank. What Max said is right you will need to show them how you plan to pay them back otherwise they don’t have to continue your line of credit.”

“Well we’re going well so that shouldn’t be a problem,” Isabel said confidently.

“Iz how much have you had to do with the books and accounts?” Max asked worried.

“Nothing really Dad always took care of that and when he wasn’t here Michael did,” she shrugged.

“Well Iz I’ve been going through them over the past week and things aren’t that good. If Killarny is going to survive we’re going to have to make some drastic changes,” he said.

Isabel looked shocked and turned to Robert Cook for confirmation. “I’m not an accountant but Max is right. The bank is concerned that more money is being withdrawn and spent than earned,” he told her.

“Oh god,” Isabel closed her eyes.

“Is there anything else Mr Cook?” Dianne spoke up.

“Just some personal items,” he said “but I can leave the list here for you.”

“Thank you,” Dianne smiled politely

As Dianne saw Mr Cook to the door Max sat with Isabel.

“Max are we going to loose Killarny?” she asked.

“No,” Max said. “I promise we wont.”
Emz80m
Roswell Fanatic

Post by Emz80m »

Thank you everyone :D

aussietrueblue
LegalAlien
BehrObsession
FSU/MSW-94
Oz
behrluv32
orphyfets
guelbebek
Luzser1800
Jason's Lover
Mariael311a
Vapor
Michelle in Yonkers
Ellie

Eleven

“So this is where you’ve been hiding?”

Max looked up and smiled when he saw Liz standing at the entrance to his father’s office.

“Hi,” he greeted her.

Liz walked towards him with a smile. “Hi yourself,” she replied.

Pushing his chair back Max wrapped an arm around Liz’s waist and pulled her down onto his lap and leaned in and kissed her hello. Like usual she looked gorgeous. Freshly showered, she smelt like coconut and Max couldn’t help but breathe her in.

When he pulled back Liz rubbed her lips together and smiled.

“What are you doing here?” he asked. He was happy to see her but surprised.

“Well I remember you promising me you were coming to the BBQ this weekend. Now there are a couple of Evans at my place but no you,” she mock pouted.

Max looked at the clock then and cursed. It was 4pm and his only excuse was that time had gotten away from him. He had locked himself in his father’s office the past couple of days trying to get through everything so that he would have a clear picture of exactly how good or bad things were.

Isabel had joined him on a number of occasions but she didn’t really understand a lot of the stuff and so she told Max she would leave it to him. Michael hadn’t said a word to him since storming out of the reading the other day.

“I’m so sorry,” he sighed. “I totally lost track of time.”

“That’s ok,” Liz smiled. “But now your leaving with me,” she grinned.

“Yep,” he agreed, the thought of a cold beer sounded pretty good to him right now. “I need to grab a shower though so why don’t you head back and I’ll drive over when I’m ready,” he suggested.

Liz grinned. “Nah I’ll just wait and drive you over,” she told him. “That way I know you’re not going to try and stand me up again,” she teased. Liz didn’t really know what was going on between them and that once at Parkers they would probably just act like friends but she still wanted to spend as much time with him as she could. It had surprised her how much she had missed him in the past couple of days.

“Ok,” Max smiled. He stood from the seat and groaned as he stretched his bad leg.

“Hurting?” Liz asked.

“Just a little stiff,” he replied.

He took Liz’s hand as they walked out of the shed and towards the house.

“So what has you so interested you’ve barely left that office in days?” Liz asked as she sat on Max’s bed while he was in the shower. He had called her and told her about what Phillips solicitor had said. Liz hadn’t been surprised. She knew Phillip well and never once thought he would cut Max out of a share of Killarny.

Max walked out of the bathroom wearing only a pair of jeans that were slung low on his hips, and a towel in his hands.

“I have to come up with a proposal for the bank,” he replied.

Liz’s mouth went dry as she stared at Max’s naked chest. He obviously worked out a lot because he was ripped. She was so busy staring at him that she hadn’t noticed Max had finished talking and was now watching her in amusement.

“Um Liz?” he called out a little embarrassed. He was used to girls staring at him, it happened in the city but he didn’t think he’d ever seen someone look at him the way Liz was.

Liz’s eyes snapped to meet Max’s and when she saw the amusement in his eyes she blushed bright red.

“Sorry,” she apologised.

“No it’s fine,” he shook his head approaching her. “I kind of like the way you were looking at me,” he whispered.

“Yeah?” Liz asked.

Leaning down Max brushed his lips against Liz’s. She looked so beautiful he thought. Her hair was out and she was wearing a tight white tank top, which showed of her beautiful tanned skin, and her also nice body. And today instead of a pair of jeans she was wearing a denim skirt that came just below her knees.

“Yeah,” he replied.

Liz wrapped her arms around Max’s neck as she arched up into the kiss but soon the position became uncomfortable and Liz was crawling back on the bed as Max climbed on top.

Liz’s hands wandered the naked skin on Max’s back while Max’s hand crept under the hem of Liz’s top.

“You are so gorgeous,” Max groaned as he moved his lips from her mouth to her neck.

“So are you,” Liz replied in a breathy moan.

Fisting a hand in Max’s hair Liz brought his mouth back to hers, her tongue darting into his mouth and deepening the kiss right away.

Max moaned into her mouth and kissed her back with as much feather. It was obvious that they were quickly getting out of control Max couldn’t stop his bodies reaction to Liz. He knew that if Liz’s mobile phone hadn’t rung at that very moment that who knew how far they would have went.

Liz broke apart from Max to find the phone in her pocket.

“Hello?” she panted.

“Liz, where the hell did you get to?” Maria asked on the other end. “Everyone’s looking for you.”

“I just came to Killarny to pick Max up,” she replied. “I won’t be long.”

“Oh ok, see you soon then,” she said before hanging up.

“I’m sorry about that, I shouldn’t have let us get so carried away,” Max apologised.

“Don’t,” Liz said her hand on his shoulder. “I enjoyed it and I’m not sorry,” she replied with a small smile.

Max smiled back then and leaned in to give her a peck on the lips. “Good, I’m not sorry either,” he said.

“We should go,” she said regretfully.

“Yeah,” Max nodded and stood up to grab a shit out of the closet.

He pulled it over his head before going to the bathroom and fixing his hair and when he came out he pulled on some shoes.

“Ok I’m ready to go,” he smiled.

Liz took his hand again and they walked out to Liz’s Ute.

“Hey,” Maria smiled as she approached Michael. He was sitting back in a chair with a beer and what she could only describe as a scowl on his face. Something she was getting more used to.

“Hi,” Michael replied.

Taking the seat next to him Maria took a swig of her beer. “How are things?”

“Ok,” He nodded. “You?”

“Pretty good thanks,” she replied. “It’s quiet around here at the moment thank God. It will pick up again in a couple of weeks.”

Michael simply nodded.

Maria frowned. “You know you could at least act like you’re interested in what I have to say,” she finally snapped.

“I was listening,” he shrugged.

“What is it with you lately?” She asked standing up. “You’re always scowling about something or the other.”

“Maybe I just don’t want to listen to your annoying voice,” he countered.

“Yeah because you’ve got so many friends knocking your door down,” Maria laughed angrily.

“I’m too busy to have friends. I have a property to run,” he pointed out.

“Not to busy to try and take Liz on dates though,” she said sarcastically.

Michael scowled at her again then. “That’s none of your business.”

“Or maybe that’s what’s got your panties in a twist. The fact that Liz won’t go out with you,” she said realising that she had hit a nerve and wanting to hurt him as much as he was hurting her.

“You don’t know what you’re talking about,” Michael said.

Maria laughed a little more then. “God you are so blind, aren’t you? Do you know where Liz is right now Michael?” She asked.

“She’s around,” he said. He’d seen her when he’d arrived but hadn’t been able to find her since.

“Yeah she’s at Killarny with Max,” Maria said.

The minute Maria saw his face she knew she’d gone too far. Michael instantly stood up look furious.

“Bullshit,” he spat.

As if she timed it herself Liz’s Ute pulled into the shed then, and from where they were standing they could both see clearly as Max got out of the passenger side of Liz’s Ute.

Michael instantly took a step forward intending on rushing over there but Maria reached out, grabbing his arm to stop him.

“Where are you going?” She asked.

“Over there,” he pointed to Liz. “If he thinks he can just come into town and steel what’s mine he had another thing coming,” Michael raged.

“I hate to disappoint you space boy,” Maria spat. “But Liz isn’t a possession and if she was she certainly isn’t yours.”

“Liz and I belong together,” Michael told her. “Out dads wanted it that way.”

“Yeah well Liz doesn’t see it that way and obviously neither does Max.”

Why did he have to be such a stubborn asshole? Maria wondered. Why couldn’t he see what was right in front of him?

“Michael don’t,” she warned.

Jerking his arm away from Maria, Michael walked in the direction of everyone else, not coincidentally the same place Max and Liz had just approached.

“Liz, Max,” Jeff Parker greeted them as they approached.

Jeff stood and shook hands with Max, followed by Alex.

“Hi everyone,” He smiled.

“We were just wondering what had happened to the two of you,” Nancy smiled from her spot in a chair next to Dianne and Amy.

“I didn’t even realise the time to tell you the truth,” Max shrugged.

“Good thing I showed up when I did,” Liz hit him playfully.

“Want a beer Max?” Alex asked.

“That would be great,” Max nodded. “I’ll come with you,” Max offered and followed Alex towards the eskies.

“So you took off quickly and quietly,” Nancy grinned at her daughter. Her grin only got bigger when Liz blushed a bright shade of red.

Michael reached them just in time to hear Amy, Nancy, Isabel, and Dianne all break out in laughter over Liz’s blush.

“Shut up guys,” Liz laughed with them.

“Hi,” Michael greeted.

“Hi Michael,” Liz smiled.

“Um do you think maybe we could go for a walk?” He asked hopefully. He felt awkward asking her in front of everyone else but he knew it would be suspicious if she moved her away to ask her.

“Oh,” Liz said surprised and looked over to where Max and Alex were coming back with some beers.

“Maybe later?” She asked hopefully. “I was just about to have a beer,” she said.

“Bring it with you,” Michael pushed. He wanted to get her away from Max and ask her out before he lost his chance. It was obvious that Max was after her.

Liz frowned wondering why Michael was pushing the issue. She felt bad saying no but she really just wanted to stay with Max.

“Here you go,” Max said as he came back to stand beside her and hand her a beer.

“Thanks,” Liz smiled sweetly at him.

“You’re welcome,” Max smiled back.

“Liz!” Michael snapped annoyed.

“Oh shit sorry Michael,” Liz apologised feeling guilty.

“Um maybe later ok?” she said before she turned her attention back to Max, not seeing the glare that Michael sent Max’s way before storming off.