My Favorite Regret ~ [ML, Adult] [COMPLETE]

This is the gallery for the winners of the fanfic awards to show off their fics, and their banners!

Moderators: Itzstacie, Forum Moderators

kay_b
Addicted Roswellian

Re: My Favorite Regret ~ [ML, Adult] Chapter 35, pg 8 - (9/21)

Post by kay_b »

Thank you for all your fb and bumps and for still reading my stories.

La'Shon
EVE
- The fight was on White Plains, then the Granolith moved them to Roswell, NM. They never went to Antar. Khivar came to Earth to find them.
Natalie36
Michelle17
Lena
paper
Cocogurl
Flamehair
RoninBehr
Kris
bella_svetlana
keepsmiling7
Tina
pijeechinadoll
elci
Lurkers

This wasn't the type of showdown I was hoping to provide. But I just couldn't change it no matter how much I want to and I tried, trust me, I did. I just hope you'll still like it nevertheless.

~*~*~*~

CHAPTER 36

“Well, isn’t this cozy.”

“Khivar.”

Max, Michael, Isabel and Liz all stood side by side in the vast expanse of the New Mexico desert. Right across them was the usurper.

“Nice to know that you know my name, Max.”

“How do you know my name?”

“Oh come on, you didn’t think I would be an incompetent ruler, did you? I make it a point to know everything I can about my enemies. Though I have to admit, I didn’t think that you would have Thala by your side. Whatever happened to little Ava?”

“Don’t you dare speak her name.” Liz yelled

Khivar’s eyes narrowed at her before returning his gaze at Max. “Did you finally figure it out?”

“Yes.”

“Ava did have her uses.” Khivar commented.

“You forget that there are two sets. Ava is nothing like Tess.” Liz said.

“Maybe.” Khivar was stalling. Using his powers on the four hybrids in front of him, he was trying to measure their strength.

“It won’t do you any good.” Michael commented.

Khivar was surprised that this Rath knew what he was up to. Maybe they were trained better than his general led him to believe. If that was the case, it was a good thing that he was already dead. Otherwise, he would kill him himself.

“Why don’t we just end this once and for all? I’m tired, and I want to go home already.” Isabel added.

Khivar chuckled, “You’re still the princess I remember, Vilandra.”

Isabel became angered at that, “I am not Vilandra.”

Khivar leered at her, “You are definitely the weaker clone but physically, I’d say you clean up nicer than Lonnie.”

“You have them?” Liz asked.

“Had.” Khivar smirked. “She’s served her purpose.”

Michael’s and Max’s hands clenched into fists. They were trying their hardest to control their emotions and not let Khivar see that he was getting to them.

“Do you really now know the reason why all this came to be?” Khivar questioned.

“Do we look like we care?” Michael answered.

“Shut your trap, boy!” Khivar roared.

“Don’t you dare talk to him that way! He is far nobler than you will ever be.” Isabel spoke.

Khivar laughed heartily. “You fools! You aren’t the real royals. Your grandfather and father were weak substitutes, just like you.”

Max’s anger was quickly coming to the surface but he tried his best not to let it show.

“Maybe a quick history lesson is in order.” Khivar teased. “Your family was second to mine. My grandfather was the true royal line of Antar.”

“Until he abused it.” Liz added.

“Abused it? Zanthor was the one who abused it! He married you off to a king, a rule that was forbidden!”

“No, what was forbidden was taking someone against their will. Your grandfather raped a guardian!” Liz shouted.

Isabel and Michael were shocked at that bit of information and turned to look at Liz before returning on their defensive stance against the enemy.

“NO!” Khivar moved a step closer to Liz, one arm outstretched and ready to strike.

Michael and Isabel raised their arms as well and were aimed to fire at any minute.

Max was ready to place himself in front of Liz, but she stopped him from doing so by moving her arm to halt him.

Liz began to tell the tale. “Your grandfather, a former king, raped a guardian, creating your father as a result. He was stripped of his title and banned from Antar by the Granolith itself. Zandros, Zanthor’s father was a wise adviser and he was appointed by the Granolith to become king, and thus reuniting all five planets in the Whirlwind Galaxy.”

Khivar kept shaking his head. “The House of Zan is a farce!”

“A farce?” Liz repeated. “Zandros in his old age, gave strict orders to his successor. One of them was to allow you and your mother to return to Antar from the cold regions of the galaxy when you were born. All because he felt that you didn’t deserve the punishment bestowed on your grandfather. He thought of you as an innocent!”

“An innocent? Am I supposed to thank him for thinking of me as an innocent? I should have lived the life of a prince but instead I was a pauper!”

“So instead, you deceived us and planned to kill us all?” Liz asked.

“I was meant to be king. I am the true king of Antar!”

“By all means, take your title and leave us be. We never wanted this. We only wanted to live our lives as normal human beings. You want to be king, go ahead! You’re welcome to the throne!” Max yelled.

“Ha! You say that now, but what of your loyalists and your descendants. How can I be sure that they won’t come back and take what is mine?”

“You mean like what you did?” Michael interjected.

“Antar is my heritage. The throne rightfully belongs to me!”

“No it doesn’t. Antar doesn’t belong to you. It belongs to the people. The Granolith doesn’t deem you fit to rule the throne especially someone who has such ill intentions.” Liz said.

Khivar was close enough and he grabbed Liz’s neck in a vise grip.

“NO!” Isabel screamed and fired at the enemy.

Max rushed to Liz and Michael fired a blast as well.

But Khivar was quick. With a flick of his wrist, his shield came up deflecting the blasts from Michael and Isabel. And another movement caused all three of them to be thrown away from him.

“You see, you’re all pathetic. The Royal Four, ha! You can’t even vanquish one and there are four of you.” Khivar spat. “But you”, he directed his gaze on Liz who was currently struggling to breathe. “You I will enjoy killing most of all.”

“Don’t.” Max spoke as he stood up.

“What is this? Is Zan begging for me to save his wife?”

“Max, don’t” Liz squeaked.

“It’s time we end this.” Max was looking directly at Liz though he was addressing Khivar.

“Is that a threat? Am I supposed to be scared?” Khivar laughed.

Liz stared back at Max and knew that he was no longer in control. Zan was.

“If you’re not scared, then why won’t you accept?” Max taunted.

“Are you seriously trying to tell me, that only you and I will settle this? And what of your other lackeys?”

“Max!” Isabel shouted, begging her brother not to take on Khivar by himself.

“They won’t interfere. It will be just you and me, Khivar. We end this once and for all.”

“Brave words from a mere boy.” Khivar sneered. “You’re willing to die for these people?”

“They’re my family.” Max answered.

“Ah, yes, family. Loyalty is something I find amusing in humans.”

“Stop stalling and fight me.”

Khivar menacingly stared at him but finally released his grip on the petite brunette.

Michael ran to Liz to hold her as she gasped for much needed air. Isabel looked at Liz’s neck, trying to soothe the pain Khivar caused.

Max looked at Liz, silently asking if she was alright. Then he stared back at his enemy and his eyes narrowed as Khivar looked a little too long at Liz.

“I will have fun playing with her once you are dead.” Khivar goaded.

“You will not touch her.” Max calmly said but his voice was laced with seething anger.

“And what will you do about it? What can you do about it after I’ve already killed you?”

“Zan, no!” Liz screamed while struggling against Michael’s hold. Tears wear pouring out of her eyes as she kept fighting Michael. She can summon the power of the Granolith and end all this. Max needed her. Zan needed Thala.

Khivar sharply turned to Liz before returning his gaze at Max. “What did she call you?”

When Max looked at Khivar, his eyes were all black causing the enemy to gasp. This wasn’t the half human he was supposed to fight.

“Have you forgotten me already, Khivar? I am the reason why you’ve brought the war here on earth. How could you not remember my name?”

“No, that’s impossible. You’re just a hybrid. A halfling.” Fear was beginning to creep into Khivar. This was no hybrid. This was his former enemy, no trace of any human sap he was told the boy king had.

“You’re dead, I killed you!”

“You should thank my sister. This was her doing after all.” Max said.

“This is all a trick!” Khivar was trying to back away but found that he was rooted to the ground.

“Oh I assure you that this is no trick. I am Zan. I am the King of Antar, Ruler of the Whirlwind Galaxy.” Max’s voice was getting louder and louder with each title and with every step he took closing the distance between him and Khivar.

And just when he was close enough, he told him his final title in a voice that only Khivar could hear. “And Keeper of the Granolith.”

And with that, he put both palms on Khivar’s chest and let out a power that was so great, it blinded them all.

TBC...
kay_b
Addicted Roswellian

Re: My Favorite Regret ~ [ML, Adult] THIRTY-SIX on 11 - (12/4)

Post by kay_b »

WOW! I'm glad I still have readers despite the severe delays of updates. Thank you so much for all your feedback.

Dziumka
Natalie36
keepsmiling7
LilLoucfer
thetvgeneral
RoninBehr
Kitten88
Kate
La'Shon
Cocogurl

EVE
- Actually, it was Khivar who was stalling at first as he was trying to assess who was the weakest of the four. After all, there were four of them and only one of him. Got to take out whoever you can to minimize the number of enemies. But once he got he ball rolling, Liz (or Thala) corrected him and effectively letting the others know the reason for their demise. And it certainly wasn't because Zan wanted a lot of change to happen on Antar. Wasn't that what Larek said on one of the episodes in S2?

Michelle17 - Glad to have made your day. I hope you're feeling much better now.

crazedearthgirl - Welcome and thank you for trying out my story. :D

roswell3053 - The missing notifications aren't that bad. At least you didn't have to wait too long with the way I've been writing this fic.

Thank you again to everyone. Enjoy the next part.

37 down, 3 to go...

~*~*~*~
CHAPTER 37
When the light from Max’s hands dimmed, he was the only one left standing. Khivar was dissolved into nothing but a pile of dark ashes at his feet.

He then fell to the ground, exhausted from all the power he had to call upon from the Granolith.

Michael, Liz and Isabel rushed to him. They all fell to their knees and Liz put Max’s head on her lap. Michael was making sure that he was still breathing, watching his chest rise and fall with every shallow breath.

“Can you…?” Isabel requested Liz.

Liz nodded. She held the sides of Max’s head in each hand and allowed their connection to come alive. She called on the power of the Granolith and checked Max’s body for any injuries within.

She was happy when she found none. And then she opened her eyes; looking back at the other two’s concerned ones.

“He’s ok. He needs to recuperate though. He took on a lot of power. It was too much.” Liz said.

“But he’ll be ok?” Isabel couldn’t help but ask once more.

“Yeah, he will be. Let’s go home.”
“Oh my goodness! Max!” Diane yelled right after she saw her only son being carried by Michael into their house.

“Is he alright? What happened?” Philip looked at Michael and Isabel to ask.

“Where to, Iz?”

“The guestroom, second door on your left.” Isabel pointed.

Michael proceeded into the guestroom with Liz right behind him, while Isabel stayed at the Evans’ living area to provide her mother and father with answers. Now that they knew their otherworldly origins, it wasn’t as hard to explain things than when she and her brother constantly had to lie to them.

“He’s just exhausted, Mom, Dad.” Isabel looked from one parent to the other.

“Exhausted from what, Isabel?”

“Where’s Zan?”

Isabel blinked. In all the commotion, she forgot about her nephew. “Oh my God.”

Without another word, she rushed to the bedroom where the others were. She opened the door with a bang, causing a jolt from Liz and Michael was ready to strike thinking an enemy had followed them.

“Wait,” she raised her arm in defense. “Liz, we forgot about Zan.”

“He’s fine, Isabel.” Liz turned to face Isabel, showing the tall blonde that she had her nephew in her arms.

“Oh thank goodness. Max would have a fit if we didn’t get him back.” Isabel moved toward Liz to take the toddler from her arms. “How did you—?”

“The Granolith”, was Liz’s only reply.

“Hey sweetie, are you ok?” Isabel asked little Zan.

The boy only nodded and beamed up at her aunt.

“Iz, I have to go.” Michael said; he wondered what happened to Maria and the others as well as the remaining Antarians who disappeared.

Isabel could only nod. She too wanted to know where Alex and the rest of their group were.

“I’m going back to the warehouse and check on everyone.” Michael informed the two women.

“Ok” Liz nodded but just as Michael stood up, she held on to his arm. “Please, find my grandmother.” she requested.

Michael nodded, “I will.”

Diane and Philip also came into the room to find Isabel and Liz giving Michael a hug. “What’s going on?” They were both concerned for their only son and the scene they came upon caused them to worry even more.

”Michael is going to the warehouse to see if the others are back.”

“Back from where? Weren’t you all together?” Diane questioned.

“Wasn’t that where you just were?” Philip was confused.

“No, the Granolith took us back to Roswell. Then Liz made it transport us back here. We don’t know what happened to everyone else.” Isabel replied.

“I’m heading out. Take care of yourselves.” Michael said. He wanted to get to where Maria was immediately. He wanted to make sure that she was alright.

“Stay safe.” Liz told him.

Michael only nodded and was quickly out the door.

“How long will it take till he wakes up?” Diane asked upon seeing her sleeping son. She moved to sit by the bed, brushing the hair away from his head. Seeing him in the state he was in brought her back to a time when he was just a young boy, getting ready for the first day of school. He was so afraid then but Max was trying his hardest to stay brave despite the new development.

Isabel turned to Liz for answers, “Not long, he just needs his rest.”

“Who are you?” Philip questioned.

“Mom, Dad, this is Liz. She’s a friend of ours.”

“Are you like them?” Diane asked.

Liz nodded. “But I just found out recently. I know it takes some time getting used to.”

Diane gave her a small smile. Then Philip spoke, “What happened?”

Isabel took a deep breath before relaying the entire story. “…We fought our enemy. Well, Max did and he won.”

“So that’s it? The fight is over?”

The two hybrids could only look at each other, both uncertain of the answer to that ever-constant question.

“We don’t know yet, Dad. ”

Michael ran as fast as his feet could carry him, his thoughts solely on Maria. As he was racing around the small town of White Plains, he finally saw the carnage as bodies of the dead and wounded reappeared. One by one the remaining soldiers from both their camp and that of Khivar’s began to rematerialize. Using the time where everyone was coming out of a state of confusion, he kept running, trying to avoid any enemy that might hamper his progress.

As he neared the warehouse, he saw the rest of his group appear. Then he saw Alex, followed by Kyle, and finally, Maria. It was only then that he felt the exhaustion. He started to slow down his stride as he got closer to his destination, savoring the sight of his fiancée alive and well.

“It happened again, didn’t it?” Kyle voiced out as he looked over his surroundings, making a mental count of the humans and Antarians he disappeared with. He saw Serena and Ava emerge to his left and the other soldiers were to his right. But it was obvious that they were missing four very important people.

Maria began looking for the other four. “Alex?” fear was evident in her voice.

“They’re fine, Maria. I know it.” Alex spoke without wanting to hear the question he knew his best friend so needed to ask.

“How do you know?”

Alex answered her with a small grin. “I can feel Isabel.”

“Maria!”

Maria did a 180 and saw Michael walking towards her. “Oh my God!” She took off and met him halfway in a tight embrace.

“I thought I would never get to see you again.” Maria sobbed as Michael crushed her in a fierce hug.

“You can’t get rid of me that easily. Unless it was the other way around.” Michael joked, though his action was the complete opposite.

“You jerk.” Maria hit his arm but she didn’t care, as long as he was back with her, breathing.

Michael smiled, “You know I was just trying to make you smile. I love you, Maria.”

“I love you too.” And the two kissed.

“Ok, you guys are getting real sappy. Where are the others?” Kyle couldn’t help but ask.

“They’re at the Evans’. Max needed to recover.” Michael explained, pulling away briefly from Maria but never letting go.

“You’re all ok?” Alex wanted a reassurance.

“Yeah, we’re fine.” Michael replied with a quick nod, clearly knowing whom Alex was referring to.

“And Liz?” Serena spoke up.

“She’s ok. A little shaken up but she’s ok too.” Michael still had his hold on Maria. “Now what of the others?”

Sam was off to the side, gathering reports from the other teams. After the calls were done, he was sporting a grin.

Valerie couldn’t help but feel elated at her husband’s look. She pulled Serena by her side as they all waited for Sam to speak.

“They’re retreating.”

“Yes!” Cheers rose from the small group and Michael closed his eyes in relief. It was over.

More reports came in as everyone began chatting and some of the Antarian elite were returning to the warehouse.

Sam was alarmed when he heard the biggest news of all from one of the captains. He knew he had to tell his general. “Michael, Khivar cannot be found and I’m afraid with Max out of commission—”

“Don’t worry about Khivar.” Michael said in a serious tone.

Sam was surprised at first. He wanted believe what Michael wasn’t saying but he needed to be sure in case they had to strategize another plan of attack. “Khivar is dead?” he said out loud.

All eyes turned to Michael. “Yeah, Max killed him.”

“How is he doing? Is he ok?” Maria asked.

“When I left him at the Evans’, he was still asleep. He spent a lot of energy to channel the Granolith’s power. But it took a lot more out of him to control it.”

Michael then turned his attention back to Sam. “I need you to check if Liz’s grandmother is safe.”

Sam nodded and quickly made another call. After a few minutes, he gave Michael the information he wanted. “She’s on her way back here.”

“Good. Now Sam, I…” Michael took a breath as he remembered the casualties he came across while running back to the warehouse. “I know Max should be doing this but he’s still out of it and I’m sure none of us wants to delay what I’m about to ask.”

“Go ahead, Michael.” Valerie coaxed.

“Please take care of those who died for this war, both the Antarians and those of the Skins. Give them an honorable burial, no matter what side they were on.”

“Even the Skins?” Ava finally spoke.

Michael turned to Ava. “They were just soldiers, fighting for what they thought was right. It wasn’t their fault that their leader deceived them. Khivar had a twisted way of recounting Antar’s history.”

Sam and Valerie along with the other Antarian soldiers looked at each other. At that moment, they were never more proud to serve their general.

“As you command, sire.” Sam complied with Michael’s orders.

Then Michael blinked in surprise as those of the Antarian Elite present formed a platoon and saluted the once General Rath.
kay_b
Addicted Roswellian

Re: My Favorite Regret ~ [ML, Adult] Chapter 37, pg 12 - (12.10)

Post by kay_b »

Look out for the new part next week.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

Hugs,

Kay
kay_b
Addicted Roswellian

Re: My Favorite Regret ~ [ML, Adult] 37 p12, A/N p13 - (1.1)

Post by kay_b »

CHAPTER 38

“Thala” Max finally opened his eyes. It was late and Isabel had left Max’s side some time ago after hearing the Alex and the others arrive at the Evans household.

“I’m here.” Liz responded though it was evident that it was for Zan’s benefit.

Max turned his head to the side, searching for Liz’s hand, his eyes unseeing. As soon as he felt her, he enclosed her hand in his fist and laid it on top of his chest. Liz could feel his rapid heartbeat and she worried for him.

“What’s wrong? Are you ok? Do you need anything?” Liz asked in concern.

“Your presence alone is enough.”

Liz wondered at how he sounded and could only come to one conclusion. “Zan?”

“Hmm?” Max had his eyes closed again but it was evident that he had not reverted back to his human self.

“I’m…not…Thala.”

Zan quickly opened his eyes and saw the slightly fearful look on Liz’s face. He sighed, “You’re Liz.”

Liz only nodded, not minding that Zan was still holding on to her.

“I wish there was a way to turn back time. Maybe then we could have prevented all this and I’d still be on Antar with my wife.” Zan said somberly.

Liz could only listen, not knowing what else to say.

“Do you…do you think you can summon her one last time? I just want to say goodbye, I didn’t get to when we were…”

“You don’t have to say any more.” Liz closed her eyes and focused within as she called forth her former self. When she opened her eyes, they were no longer the brown orbs but alien eyes as black as night stared back at the great King Zan.

Zan smiled and raised an open palm to Thala’s face. He caressed her cheek and Thala leaned on his hand.

“You were always so beautiful.” Zan said.

Thala had a soft serene smile on her face, “So were you.”

Zan sat up, still not relinquishing his hold on his wife, “I’m sorry.”

“For what?” Thala asked.

“For not being there to protect you when you needed me. For not being able to grant you your wedding night. For not being able to give you the life of a queen.”

Thala shook her head. “That wasn’t your fault. And none of that matter.”

“It does to me.” Zan countered.

“Zan, what matters is that we’re here. We may be different people now, but I’m satisfied with the mere knowledge that you are alive. That’s all I ever wanted. You can now get to live the life you want and that you’re happy.” Thala said with tears in her eyes.

“I love you. I know I didn’t say it to you often when we were still in Antar, but I want you to know now that I loved you then and I always will.” Zan vowed.

Thala heard the words but knew that there was a finality to them. It was time that Max and Liz got to live their own lives now, without the shadow of their past looming over them.

“I love you too, Zan. Always.” Thala leaned forward and kissed her husband.

With her face in his hands, Zan returned the kiss, deepening it as if pouring all of his emotions to that one act of intimacy.

Michael stayed to oversee the burial of the Antarians and the Skins on White Plains. The surviving soldiers of the elite force carried the bodies of their comrades up a hill by the forest where they used to train. Final rites were said as the fallen were commemorated. For the Antarians who died in battle, their bodies were cremated and their ashes spread on the ground. Markers were made for both the Antarians and the Skins, all looking alike unless one would look at them closely. Only then would people know whom it was for. Michael wanted it that way. His reasoning was, they were all people of the Whirlwind Galaxy, a galaxy constituted of five planets that a long time ago lived serenely and peacefully with one another. Maybe now that the war is over, they could once more go back to that time.

Afterwards, the remaining soldiers shared one thought: What now?

It was Sam who voiced out his thoughts. “Michael, what will you and the others do now?”

Michael only looked at Maria who remained by his side the entire time, “We’re getting married.”
“Alex!” Isabel rushed into his arms once she saw her husband. She had put Zan in his room and was checking in on a still sleeping Max when she heard him call her name.

Immediately, her eyes shone and she left the room and came running to meet her spouse and friends who came to see how they were.

Alex, Kyle, Ava and Serena were in the living room along with the older Evans.

Upon Isabel’s fierce embrace, Alex had to take a step back so he wouldn’t stumble. It didn’t take long till he felt her tears on his shoulder.

He tightened his hold on her as he spoke soothing words in her ear. “It’s ok. It’s over and we’re all safe. I’m here, you’re here, we’re together.”

Everyone just watched their exchange, reminding them once more of what they could have lost.

“I know,” Isabel sobbed. “I just thought I would never—”

“Don’t,” Alex shushed her. “Don’t think about that anymore, it’s over.”

Isabel nodded but still couldn’t let go.

“It’s nice to know that people care about my well-being.” Kyle spoke up.

Alex and Isabel laughed as they parted, though Alex still had an arm around Isabel’s waist.

“Sorry. How are you, Kyle?” Isabel asked with a smile for her dear friend.

“I’m fine. Missed the huge throwdown, but hey, I’m not complaining.” Kyle shrugged.

“Would you all like something to drink or eat or are you tired? There’s still another guestroom you can take.” Diane offered.

“Diane, it’s fine. You don’t have to do anything on our account.” Alex answered.

“Uh, we’d just like to ask, where’s Liz?” Serena inquired. She couldn’t hold it in any longer. While reunions were taking place, both she and Ava had no clue as to the whereabouts of their best friend.

“She’s in the other guestroom. Max still hasn’t woken up.” Isabel replied somberly.

The Evans along with Kyle and Alex shared a look of concern. But it quickly turned into surprise when Ava spoke.

“He’s awake but that’s not Max in there, and neither is it Liz.”
“Are you serious?” Maria turned to Michael.

“Yeah, isn’t that what you wanted?” Michael asked, confused.

“No, Michael.” Maria shook her head.

“What?” exclaimed Michael.

“It’s not supposed to be what I want. The both of us should want this. I don’t want to marry you if you’re just doing this for my sake.” Maria explained.

Michael had to breathe a sigh of relief. For a minute there, he thought that Maria didn’t want him anymore. “I want to marry you, Maria. I wouldn’t have asked the first time if I didn’t.”

“Good, just wanted to make that clear. Cause later down the line, I don’t want you blaming me fro trapping you into a marriage you didn’t—” Before Maria could say another word, Michael cut her off by kissing her.

When they parted, “Ok, so we’re getting married.” Maria said ecstatically.

“Yup, so we need to move your mom out here, God help me.” Michael uttered.

Maria gasped, “Really?” Tears sprung in her eyes as she took in the notion that she could see her mother again.

Michael wiped her tears away and nodded, “Really.”

She then whispered her gratitude as Maria embraced her fiancé, giving her devotion to the half-human, half-alien hybrid she fell in love with.

Liz opened her eyes, shocked to see that she was kissing Max Evans. He had his eyes closed and his long lashes rested on his skin. She then realized how soft his lips felt and how his hold on her tightened. And what dazed her more was that she was kissing him back, just as passionately as she was. She closed her eyes and was beginning to submit to the warmth but unfortunately, the need for air was rapidly increasing.

She once again opened her eyes, and was taken aback that Max had his eyes open as well. They pulled away for each other quickly and was a bit embarrassed by the tender act.

“Zan?”

Max drew his lips in a thin line, “No.”

Liz’s eyes grew wide, “Oh.”

“Yeah.” Max couldn’t understand why he was ashamed. What he felt from that one kiss was more than anything he had experienced with Tess. He then shook his head slightly to dispel those thoughts.

Seeing this by Liz, she mistook the action to mean that Max was repelled by what had transpired between them. She couldn’t fault him though. Max hated that his life seemed to be preordained by those who created him. Liz knew it was Zan who was in control when he asked her to call on Thala. The two souls probably shared the kiss.

As she processed those thoughts in her head, she felt something different from within. She wasn’t able to feel Thala anymore.

Liz quickly stood from the bed. “Um, I’m sorry about that. I didn’t mean to… I mean, I didn’t…uh…it was Zan and Thala.”

Max shook his head slightly, “I kinda figured that.”

“So, everyone is here…I think. Isabel pretty much took off as soon as she heard them.”

Max had to smile at that, then quickly searched for Zan.

Liz knew why Max seemed concerned all of a sudden and was quick to assuage his fears. “He’s fine. He’s in the other room. Isabel checked on him before coming back here.”

At that, Max had to breathe a sigh of relief. He got off the bed and stumbled a bit. Though he was able to find his footing, Liz was quick to help him.

Max smiled at the kind gesture and said that he wanted to see his son. Liz nodded at this and they went out the door.

As soon as Liz closed the door behind her, she was surprised to be greeted by everyone rushing up to her and Max.

Hugs and showers of concern and relief were exchanged.

Isabel knew her brother would want to see his son so she removed herself from Alex’s hold and went to the room where Zan was.

Just as Isabel entered Zan’s room, Maria and Michael came through the door with their big announcement. “We’re getting married!” shouted Maria.

The attention from Max and Liz shifted to the other two as words of joy were expressed for them.

The minute Zan saw his father he reached out for him, “Daddy!”

Max took his son in his arms and hugged him tight, kissing the side of his head as Zan laid it on his father’s shoulder.

Everyone looked on in the tender scene that took place in the Evans’ living room.

When Max raised his head to look at everyone that was there, he then realized that those that looked back at him were his family and they all had smiles on their faces.

He then knew, without a doubt, it was finally over. Khivar was gone. They were safe. They were together. They were carefree. And his dream of being able to have a normal life for him and his son has finally come true.

tbc
kay_b
Addicted Roswellian

Re: My Favorite Regret ~ [ML, Adult] PART 38 on pg 14 - (1.23)

Post by kay_b »

So sorry for the delay. I know it's unforgivable. I just hope the longer part somehow makes up for it.
~*~*~*~
CHAPTER 39

Months had passed since the Antarians were left to live their own lives in White Plains. They were free from their duty since there no longer was an enemy. However, they felt it was only right to protect the Royal Four in case they needed it. Even after they have defeated Khivar and his army of Skins, the threat to their existence wasn’t over.

There was still the FBI. Though Nasedo had managed to close down the Special Unit, after the Roswell group had killed Agent Daniel Pierce and had their shapeshifter take his place, there were still a few “alien hunters” who were determined to eradicate the Earth of any extra-terrestrial beings living among mankind.

During this time, Maria and Isabel were busy with wedding preparations. Though Maria wanted something not so extravagant, Isabel felt it was only right that they had a grand ceremony. For one, they were living among other Antarians, soldiers of the former General Rath aka Michael. So with that title, Isabel didn’t want them to have something short of spectacular. Plus it was her chance to plan that wedding she didn’t have. Not that she would change the simple ceremony with Alex. That will always be the most memorable day of her life; it was simple and solemn and no one else mattered but him.

Isabel’s lips spread into a grin as she remembered her own wedding day. Alex was so nervous that day, holding on tight to her hand as if he was scared that she would change her mind and run away. No one could make her change her mind even if they tried; it was where she wanted to be more than anything else in the world or any other. With Alex, she didn’t have to hide, and not just her alien origins. She never had to conceal who she was, nor all her neurotic tendencies, her small quirks that everyone else seemed to mind. She was just Isabel Evans Whitman in his eyes and she didn’t want to be anyone else.

“Are you sure this is really necessary?” Maria asked her best friend as she remained standing in front of a full-length mirror, inspecting the wedding dress she was trying on.

“Of course it is,” Amy responded for Isabel. In those few months, Amy Deluca moved into White Plains quite smoothly. Everyone were scared that she wouldn’t be able to handle the knowledge that aliens lived among them and that she was moving into a town that sheltered them. Maria was worried that her mother would blow a gasket once she was told of the many “adventures” her only daughter have had. More so with Michael, Amy was going to be her mother-in-law after all.

However, Amy proved them all wrong. Her joy upon seeing her daughter again outweighed the fact that she would be living among aliens, that she would be gaining a son-in-law who was also an alien, not to mention a general, and that her own flesh and blood now possessed powers that other human beings didn’t. Having Maria in her arms was the only thing she wanted and she would do whatever it takes for her daughter. Besides, if Maria could live through everything that she has gone through, why couldn’t she?

“Don’t you like it?” Isabel asked upon seeing her friend’s reaction. She was standing right beside her, looking at Maria’s reflection, and immediately she could see her distaste for the garment.

“It’s too…traditional.” Maria replied.

“What’s wrong with traditional?” Amy asked from behind.

Both younger women turned to her and looked at her as if she grew another head. Amy could only laugh at their reactions. “Oh yeah, sorry. Well, what do you like, baby?”

“I just want something flowing but a bit form fitting too…not,” Maria touched the skirt of the dress, “poofy.”

“Ok, go back to the dressing room and get out of that while we look for something else.” Amy said.

Maria nodded and headed back to the fitting rooms as Isabel and Amy searched for the perfect dress.
“Why do I have to go with you?” Max questioned Michael.

“Because I’m not as good at manipulating objects as you are.” Michael explained.

Max was curious at that response. “Manipulating? What are we manipulating?”

“Our wedding rings.”

“What?” Max turned to his friend quickly though he was driving towards Sam’s house. “How? Why?” Max didn’t know what else to say. But this was definitely something new coming from Michael and he couldn’t help but voice out his questions.

“Remember that small metal sheet I that I got from Hal Carver?”

Max nodded.

“Sam has a few more.” Michael added.

“And you want to make rings using them.” Max concluded.

“Exactly.”

“But doesn’t it revert back to its original form when you tried to crush it?”

“Sam said we can change it. It can’t be damaged by mere physical attempts. We gotta put a little bit of alien juice into it.” Michael told him.

“Ok then.” Max agreed.

“So what’s going on with you and Liz?” Michael injected into the conversation.

Max was surprised at that quick turn. “What about me and Liz?”

“Just wondering, you know. I mean, it looks like you guys are getting close.” Michael said nonchalantly.

Max had to roll his eyes; that certainly wasn’t coming from Michael. “Is that what Isabel and Maria told you?”

“Yeah,” Michael replied but quickly changed it, “No, no. I was just curious.”

Max had to sigh, “Give it up, Michael. Those two have been pestering me and I wouldn’t be surprised that they got to you.”

“Sorry, man. Maria, I can handle. But her and Isabel, and your mom—”

“What? Even my mom is in on this now?”

“No, not really. She just asked me once when I bumped into her in the supermarket.”

“I’m happy just the way my life is right now. I don’t need any more complications. Can’t they just let me have that?”

“Don’t worry, I’ll tell Maria and Isabel to butt out.”

“Thanks.” Max said.

In the course of those months that Max was finally getting to live a normal life with his son, he started developing a friendship with Liz. Sure she was gorgeous, no, she was…beautiful, but he wasn’t looking to get romantically involved with her. He felt like they were kindred, both thrust into a life that they didn’t want. Like him, Liz didn’t want to be a queen; she didn’t even know she was an alien to begin with. She grew up alone because of it, and though he had his parents, Max never really got to open up to them in fear that they would reject him and his sister if they knew what they were.

Since this was all new to Liz, he felt responsible in helping her deal with it. She was brought into a war that she didn’t even know she was directly a part of. She grew up a human, and for Max, he always wished he had grown up the same.

“We’re just friends, Michael.”

“I never said anything.” Michael claimed.

“I know, but you were thinking it.” Max replied.

“Look, I’m not one to talk about relationships and the mushy stuff, and don’t you ever tell Maria that I said this, but it’s good to have that someone you can share everything with, you know. I know Maria and I fight all the time, but at the end of the day, it’s great to know that she’ll be there for me, that she’s there with me, and she understands. I never had a family, Max—”

“Michael—”

“Yeah, I know you and Isabel considered me your brother, and I do too but it’s not exactly the same as having a real one to call your own. We may be a family in every sense of the word but Maria, she’s mine. And I’m really hoping, wishing, the same for you.”

Max didn’t know what to say after that.
“Hey, Kyle’s picking me up for lunch, you want to come with?” Serena asked her friend at the center.

Liz thought for a moment, “No thank you. I’m meeting my grandma for lunch.”

“Ok, talk to you later.” With that, Serena left.

In the months after Max defeated Khivar and the war ended, Liz was still traumatized by what she had experienced, all the fighting, killing Nicholas, losing Cal. That was the worst hit she felt, to her it was as if she was physically wounded. Yes, she was glad to have her grandmother back in her life, but she still ended up losing one more member of her family.

After they finished congregating at the Evans’ home, she was eager to see her grandmother. Sam was gracious enough to drive the old woman to the house so she could be reunited with her granddaughter. And there the two met.

It was another tearful reunion. Though they were both grateful that they were safe, they both lost a shared friend. And for that, they grieved. Soon after they returned home to Liz’s parents house where she learned of Claudia’s intention to stay with her granddaughter now that the war on Antar was over. Liz was overjoyed with that news and decided to move back into her parents’ home along with her grandmother.

She walked into the diner and found Claudia already at a table. “Hi, Grandma,” Liz greeted with a peck on the cheek.

“Hello, Liz. “ Claudia said, before folding the newspaper she was reading. When she came in the diner, the people working there cheerfully welcomed her, knowing very well who she was and her status back in Antar. But she was quick to remind them that they were no longer back in their planet and democracy reigned in place of its monarchs. Everyone was now equal.

After placing their orders, the two ate their lunch happily, just enjoying each other’s company.

Just then, Max and Michael entered the establishment as well. All eyes turned to the two young men, including Liz’s and Claudia’s.

Max saw everyone looking at them and felt a little bit embarrassed at the unwarranted attention. But soon he saw a pair of familiar eyes and walked towars her location.

“Liz, Claudia.” Max and Michael greeted.

“Hey, guys.” Liz responded.

“Hello boys, why don’t you and Liz join us for lunch?” Claudia suggested.

“Oh no, we couldn’t intrude.” Max was shaking his head the same time that Michael was already pulling a chair out for himself. He plopped himself down and was reading the menu that was handed to him before he realized that Max was still standing.

“What are you doing?” Both men voiced out.

“Michael.” Max warned.

“What? They invited us, why are you still standing? You’re making everyone stare.” Michael replied.

Seeing that Michael was right, he grabbed the last empty chair at the table and sat himself down.

“You two just order anything you want, it’s on me.” Claudia offered.

“Thanks.” Michael quickly said.

Max was too surprised to even speak.

“It’s ok, Max. Just order whatever you like.” Liz tried to spare her friend from feeling any more embarrassed.

“Thank you, but it’s not necessary.” Max finally told the women.

“Nonsense, it’s not everyday we get to sit together like this.” Claudia said.

Max relented; it was three against one. So he just thanked Claudia and agreed to have lunch with her and Liz.

Needless to say, everyone still looked. To the Antarians, Max and Liz were like a celebrity couple. Will-they or won’t-they is the question in everybody’s minds. The two have been seen together from time to time, having coffee, smiling, but mostly engaged in a serious conversation based on the looks on their faces.

What no one really knew, except for Max and Liz, was that Max was like a therapist for Liz to help her deal with what happened. And in a way, Liz was helping Max as well just by being there to listen to him.

A few days later, Max and Liz were together jogging in the woods where they used to train. They didn’t need the stares and the seemingly teasing smiles from the people of White Plains. Here, they could have their privacy but still be within the town that if anyone heard them talking about alien powers, no one would be calling the National Guard.

“I think the gossip has gotten to Michael.” Max stated.

“Oh no.” Liz laughed; she knew what ‘the gossip’ meant. “I never would have pegged him to be listening to that.”

“Well if Maria and Isabel have anything to do with it, he better listen.” Max said with a grin.

“Did they pressure him to talk to you?” Liz asked.

Max nodded as they kept on running.

“Maybe they had good intentions.” Liz added.

Max looked at her and studied her for a minute. “You’re not bothered that they’re talking about us like that?”

“No.” Liz shrugged.

Max had to stop. “Why not?”

Liz stopped abruptly and turned to face him. “Why should it? Their opinion don’t matter. We both know the truth which is that we’re just friends. So why should I let it get to me? Don’t get me wrong, they’re nice people and I think it’s because Maria and Michael are getting married, Isabel and Alex are happy together, that they want you to have the same joys they’re having. I wouldn’t be surprised if that was the case. You’ve all been through so much together for so long, it’s only natural that they want you to be just as happy as they are.”

“I guess.” Max answered.

“Just let them do what they do, smile and shrug. They’ll get tired of it soon.” Liz said before taking off once more.

After their run, Max went home. He was alone because his parents took Zan for the day, wanting to spend some time with their grandson. As he started tidying up his own home, his thoughts went back to his conversations with Michael and Liz. He understood his family and friends’ need to see him happy. It was about time that he lived a life where he had no more worries aside from making sure his son sleeps early, or if Zan won’t get hurt while playing with the other kids at school, or thinking about what to cook for dinner; just all the simple things that humans took for granted. He was not a king of an alien race anymore, just a regular single dad raising his son. Though they all still possessed their alien abilities, it was no longer necessary to use them.

Then Max stopped short and broke into a smile. A real genuine honest-to-goodness grin spread across his face as Max suddenly realized that he was becoming normal.
kay_b
Addicted Roswellian

Re: My Favorite Regret ~ [ML, Adult] Chapter 39 on pg 15 - (3.1)

Post by kay_b »

Take two for the author's chat. I was late for the one last May 7th because I counted Daylight Savings Time. I apologize for that.

So I'm having another one this Thursday, May 21, same time, same place. 9pm EST/6pm PST at Roswell Heaven. Hope to see you there. :D

Kay
kay_b
Addicted Roswellian

Re: My Favorite Regret ~ [ML, Adult] A/N pg 18 - (5.20) [WIP]

Post by kay_b »

A/N: I am so sorry for the long delay. I did promise to have this done before the end of September so here it is, the final part. I'm sorry if it's lacking. I just wanted to finish this fic because I know it has been going on for too long already and I felt guilty for having you hang on to it.

I have 2 new fics I want to write; no, I am not abandoning Forever & a Day; but I would like to know which one you would all prefer to read next: an AU with aliens or one without. The AU with aliens is a twist on Roswell, using the old songs (from the show) as a basis for each chapter. The AU without aliens is a Dreamer one, and it's about a case of mistaken identity. I like them both which is why I'm having a tough time deciding which to post first. Hopefully, you can help me make the decision.

Ok, so, thank you to everyone who have stuck with me through this story. It means a lot to me. I hope you enjoy this one.

CHAPTER 40

Three more months and Michael and Maria’s wedding were underway. Isabel drove her friend crazy, giving out order after order to those who helped her arrange the wedding. Maria didn’t want to join the planning anymore because she only ended up fighting with Isabel.

As for Michael, he just wanted to stay away as much as possible, he’ll only show up when it was time to take their vows. That was the only thing that mattered, didn’t it? Besides, since Isabel decided to almost move into their home with her being there every waking moment, Michael spent more time at Max’s.

He noted that his friend seemed different with each day. He looked lighter, happier and he had to wonder why, an act he wasn’t ashamed to ask Max directly.

Max was relaxing after cleaning up the house. Since his parents were babysitting Zan, he thought it was the best time to do a little spring-cleaning. And at that moment he was sitting on the couch beside Michael while they watched a basketball game on TV.

“Izzy’s over at your house again?” Max drawled.

“Yup.” Michael said before taking a gulp from the Snapple bottle Max offered him earlier.

“Why is she making such a big deal of this? It’s not like it’s her wedding.” Max responded.

“I think that’s the whole point. She didn’t get to do this with her own wedding so she’s doing it to ours. And because Maria felt guilty, she thought it would be ok to indulge Isabel.” Michael said.

“While that’s noble and all, I pity you.” Max snickered.

Michael’s eyes narrowed in irritation but only commented, “Ha, wait till you get married.”

Both men froze at the turn of their conversation. Silence ensued until Michael opened his mouth to apologize. “Sorry, man.”

“It’s ok,” Max shrugged, “I’ve gotten used to it by now, and I know you’re all just looking out for me.”

“Yeah,” Michael turned to regard his best friend. He was worried about him. Just as Maria felt guilty with Isabel, Michael felt the same with Max. He thought Max might feel left out since he was the only one without a significant other. “We just want you to be happy like us. We’ve all paired up, hell even Kyle got engaged.” Michael continued.

That was a surprise to everyone. It has been close to a year since Kyle and Serena were dating but no one expected that he would propose that quickly. Serena needed some time to deal with knowing her true origins, which Kyle was more than willing to give. But the minute that Serena said she had finally come to terms with it, Kyle was immediately planning the next step in their relationship.

“I…” Max hesitated which caused Michael to give him a sideward glance.

“You what?” Michael sat up this time. He was curious as to what his friend had to say.

“You know that Liz and I are…”

“Yeah?” Michael urged.

“I think…”

“You think…?” Michael was getting frustrated.

Max looked at Michael once more and decided to just go with it. He sighed, “I think I’m beginning to like Liz.”

Michael sat back, “But you’ve always liked Liz.”

“I mean that in a different way.” Max explained.

Michael quickly understood, “Oh…so what’s the problem?”

“I don’t know if this is right.” Max replied.

“If it’s right? Of course it’s right, why wouldn’t it be?”

“Because what if it’s just Zan’s feelings for Thala?” Max reasoned.

“Max, Zan and Thala are long gone, isn’t that what you and Liz have told us?” Michael inquired.

Max nodded his reply.

“It’s been months, nearly a year since all that went down. I don’t think that’s Zan talking. If it was, wouldn’t you think he had already made you act on his feelings back then?” Michael concluded.

Max mulled over what his friend was saying. He knew it wasn’t Zan, that it was just him now, but what if…what if there was still that slim chance that it wasn’t. He hated “destiny” and everything that it stood for, for him, and now here he was almost spouting the same thing. He had been at the receiving end before with Tess, he didn’t want to be the one giving that same speech about how they’re meant to be together towards Liz.

“Is this why you’re in a chipper mood lately?” Michael prodded.

Max gave him half a smile.

“No, there’s no way that that’s Zan. I would say, it’s all you, man.” Michael slapped his best friend’s back. “But if you don’t mind me asking, how did this come about? I mean, you’ve been so hell bent at keeping your relationship purely platonic, then out of nowhere, BAM!”

“I don’t know…I guess hanging out with her made me realize that she’s a great person to be with.” Max admitted.

“Don’t get me wrong, but isn’t that what everyone has been telling you before?”

Max shrugged, “I think all that pushing turned me off. And when people finally stopped, I got to know her better without any pressure that we had to be together.”

“Ok, so what’s the problem now?”

Max scratched the back of his head, “I don’t know what to do next.”

“Well what do you want to do?” Michael asked. “Do you want to go out with her or do you just want to sit back and hope that you get over it?”

Max exhaled, “I don’t know.”

“I suggest you find out first, then take some action.” Michael ended the conversation. He knew that Max was getting confused and he didn’t want to force the issue and have him revert back to his old self. If this meant that his best friend was trying to open himself up to more people then he would be happy to give his support whenever Max needed it.

On the other side of town, Liz had been going through the same thing that Max has. After divulging her newfound feelings to her friend Serena, Liz felt as if the weight on her shoulders eased a little.

“It feels good to finally tell someone. I didn’t want to acknowledge it even to myself. But now that I’ve told you, it seems more real, you know?” Liz told her best friend.

“So what are you going to do?” Serena had to ask, she was curious as to how far Liz would take this.

“Nothing.” Liz said and diverted her attention back to grading some papers.

Serena was stunned, “What? What do you mean, ‘nothing’? You can’t just do nothing.”

“Why not?” Liz threw back at her friend. “I can’t do anything about this because Max might think this is just Thala controlling me.”

“Why would he think that?” Serena was dumbfounded.

“Why wouldn’t he think it, it’s happened before.” Liz replied.

“Zan and Thala have passed on. They’ve been out of your lives for good. Both of you know that. What you’re feeling is all you. Honestly, I thought this was a long time coming. You’ve been spending some time together, enjoying each other’s company. You’re gorgeous and so is he; you make a great looking couple. It’s inevitable that you fall for each other.” Serena raved.

“Maybe I did, but he’s hasn’t. He wouldn’t believe it to be coming from me because he’s been in this scenario before. He wouldn’t want to be pressured into a relationship. He’s become a good friend, Serena. If I bring this up with him, it will drive him away. That’s why I’m not going to do anything about this.” Liz said emphatically.

“So you’re just going to keep quiet and hope that this goes away.”

“Exactly.”
~*~
They were back at their weekend morning jog. Though it was a routine that they’ve grown accustomed to, there was an awkward silence looming between them.

At their usual pit stop, at the farthest bench in the town park, Liz sat down. She was drinking off her sports bottle when Max finally started a conversation.

“So…”

Liz stopped drinking and looked at her friend. “So.”

“How was your week?” Both asked at the same time then chuckled at their own silliness.

“Ladies first.” Max said.

“Boring, nothing much happened.” Liz began, but then she became animated as she remembered one incident. “Oh, one of the kids forgot to close little Snowball’s cage, you know, the hamster?”

“Yeah”, Max had sat down beside Liz and nodded as he watched her narrate the story.

“Anyway, Snowball got out while class was ongoing and you can just imagine the chaos that erupted. All the little kids volunteered to catch him while they were screaming to watch out in case someone steps on him. Serena had to rush into my room to help.” Liz laughed at the memory.

Max kept watching her and was mesmerized by how beautiful she really was. Doing something that he wouldn’t normally do, he leaned closed and kissed her.

Their lips touched and Max felt electricity course through his veins. At first Liz was surprised by the sudden intimacy but she too could not ignore the pleasure she felt from that one small touch. She had to wonder what magic they’d feel if they allowed themselves to do more.

When air became lacking, they pulled apart and stared at one another.

“I’m sorry. I…I shouldn’t have done that. It was a mistake.” Max said between breaths.

Liz blushed but was instantly saddened by Max’s statement. “Was it?” she had to ask.

“Liz.” Max stood up and closed his eyes briefly at the talk they were about to have.

“Why is it so wrong?” Liz demanded.

Max opened his eyes and look straight at her, “Because.”

“Because what? Tell me. Are you scared that Zan and Thala may be behind this? I can tell you right now that I haven’t felt Thala in a long time. What about you, is Zan still around?” Liz questioned.

Max shook his head in the negative.

“Then why, Max?” Liz looked at him expectedly but got nothing in return. She sighed, “I’m sorry. I shouldn’t have even brought this up. Just…forget it.” She got off her seat and prepared to resume her jog.

Max was rooted at his spot and didn’t even notice when Liz had left him. He had a lot of thinking to do. He could hear Liz’s voice, ‘Why was it wrong?’. It was just the two of them now, no more past lives coming back to control them, so what was holding him back?

Admittedly, he was scared of letting someone get that close to him; look at what happened with Tess. But that was the main point in the argument. Tess was gone. He already knew the truth about his past, a past he shared with Liz. Granted, Zan and Thala took over their psyche for that one moment, but that’s over now too. So why couldn’t he move forward?

Max dwelled on that question for quite some time, until a realization came; one that was so strong that it was as if he was slapped in the face with it.

He could move forward. No one was stopping him this time. There was no Tess, no alien ghosts, no king and queen. It was just him this time, him and Liz.

He broke off into a run, chasing after the one girl who never left his side, the one girl who understood him, the one girl he had fallen in love with.

“Liz!”

Liz kept running, trying her hardest to ignore the tears falling down her face. She hated herself for letting hope in her heart. She was aware that telling Max would only bring heartache. She felt something in that kiss and knew that he shared the same emotions she had been harboring. But while she was ready to be in a relationship, he wasn’t and maybe he never will.

She focused on keeping one foot in front of the other. She would be home soon and she wouldn’t have to face Max Evans again.

“Liz!”

Max ran as fast as his feet could carry him. He had to give it to Liz; she was fast, but he was faster.

“Liz, stop!”

Liz looked behind her and saw Max heading straight for her. She slowed down to a full stop when she noticed that Max was trying to catch up with her.

“I’m sorry”, was the first thing that Max blurted out when he finally got a hold of Liz.

Liz tried her hardest, through the pain she felt inside, to form a smile. “It’s ok, Max. I totally understand.”

“No, you don’t” Max said as he wiped away a lone tear. “I was wrong. I thought if I gave in to what I was feeling for you, it meant I was going back to who I was, to Zan. But I’m not him, the same way that you aren’t Thala. And we will never be them again because they’re gone. They’re all gone; Tess, Zan, Thala.”

Max cradled her face gently in his hands. “It’s just you and me this time, Liz. And finally, I can be just Max Evans, from Roswell New Mexico, son of Philip and Diane Evans, Isabel Whitman’s brother and Zan Philip Evans’ father. I’m just me…” He looked at her with so much love, “and I hope…I hope that I can be good enough for you.”

Liz started with a small smile that quickly turned into a full-blown grin. Her heart was drowning in ecstasy upon hearing Max’s speech. Then she responded with something that Max was eternally grateful for.

“It’s more than I could ask for.”

Max then wore a smile that shone so brightly for the first time. It has taken a long road to get to where he was. But finally, he got the life he always wanted. A life with no more regrets.

The End