Wings of an Angel (AU,ML,Adult) (Complete)

This is the gallery for the winners of the fanfic awards to show off their fics, and their banners!

Moderators: Itzstacie, Forum Moderators

Behrsgirl77
Obsessed Roswellian

Post by Behrsgirl77 »

A/N - Thanks so much for the fb...

Raychelxluscious – I’m so happy you caught up! What can I say except that I am enjoying writing this Challenge, well you know that already, I tell you all the time. Oh and evil tricks…I’m working on a few more :evil: love ya!
Anonymousarfan – Max’s self esteem is low, but don’t worry I’m working on it.
Behrsgirl1230 - Let’s just say there are few more awkward moments to come J
Vampyrax – just remember Liz is not mean…she’s just confused J
Roswell 10/2/00 - I’m back with more! Hopefully you’ll like.
Cowgirl – Thank you…hope you enjoy!
FSUMSW94 – Max could definitely teach her…that’s all I’m sayin’ LOL! muah
Alien614 – Everything out in the open…sounds like a plan J
Lazza – Ya know you hit the nail on the head…here ya go. Hope you like.
roswell3053 – M W’s all around!
Cherie – I’m glad you like Kyle…I’m going to make a serious attempt to do him some justice. I’ve never written him before (not if you count like the 5 seconds he was in one of my other fics) but he is going to play a bigger part in this story pretty soon. Love you too!! *muah*
Dreamer06 – Ah…how many? Never ask a question you don’t want the answer to is my motto LOL!!
Erina258 – I’m so glad you have faith in both Max and Liz…I do too!
ILYMEFOREVER – Communication is the key…let’s see how they deal with that.
frenchkiss70 – Tiph…*gasp** I am not evil…okay don’t look at me like that. One word…Dariana *LOL*
begonia9508 – No worries there will be problems and Max is not perfect…neither is Liz.
Mareli – You can doubt Liz…just not on everything…have a little faith ;)
POM – Demons in the closet for Max? Maybe…maybe not J
Timelord31 – Did I say Jimmy was gonna be in the story? Hmm…I didn’t…but will he or won’t he, that is the question.
VeronicB – Your tip was right on the mark…let’s see how it plays out J
Heavenli24 – Nope, Kyle is not Alexis’ father…but then who is? Everyone wants to know…but everyone is going to have to wait lol
Bixie – Kyle did stir something up in Liz..hmm… Anyway I’m doing a little better, thank you for caring and listening *hugs*
sylvia37 - No win situation…but let’s see how these adults handle it ;)
guelbebek – You’ll have to read to see how the conversation ends.
Earth2Mama – Sexual Frustration…that’s the best kind my dear *muah*
tijuana_lady – Jules you could never hate me, I’m way too nice for that LOL!
RoswellScripter – Mai…moving forward sweetie!
Ellie – Very perceptive and yes he did sign away his rights…but IF he comes back in the picture, does that mean he wouldn’t want to cause problems…and IF so…why? Hmm…
BehrObsession – Oh I know…I’ll have mercy on them don’t worry. It will be rough at times, but making up is the best part, no?
Hazz – I’m not really that evil…am I?
Rigel – Ah yes the past…but is that all there is or is there more? You’ll have to wait and see.
Jason's Lover – Relax Crystal and breathe…or yawn…whichever works LOL! (You know I’ll never let you live that down)
linliz68 – You’ll find that at times, Liz is a walking, talking contradiction.
Finally...any Lurkers...hope you enjoy!

I need to put a little warning on this part...it seems to cross over to Adult territory just a bit...

Chapter 19

“How many girls have you been with?” The question echoed in his mind. He couldn’t possibly answer her. Not only did he not know, but also ever wanted her to know.

Max shut his eyes tightly, threw his arm over his face and willed the ache in his chest to subside. This was his worst nightmare come to life. He’d never been asked that question to begin with, but coming from Liz, from the one woman he’d ever truly cared about, just about broke his heart.

“Max?” Liz’s voice was shaky, just above a whisper when she finally spoke. Why had she asked it? Her mind screamed at her. She hadn’t meant for that question to come out, not the way it did anyway. Now Max looked hurt and she couldn’t help the tears that sprung to her eyes immediately.

“Max,” she tried again, this time reaching her arm out to his. He couldn’t even look at her, how could he? He knew no matter what answer he gave it would hurt her. He willed his heart to stop pounding in his chest and the migraine throbbing in his head to subside, but they didn’t.

Liz decided that she needed to think of something quick to rectify the situation she had caused. She managed to pull his arm away from his face, but he still hadn’t opened his eyes.

“I didn’t mean it like that, Max.” She tried to explain but to her utter surprise, Max leapt up to his feet and began pacing. Frustration and anger etched across his masculine features, and at that moment she wanted to kick herself for opening her mouth.

“What did you mean it like then, Liz?” Max stopped and pinned her with an incredulously glare. He wasn’t mad at her, he was mad at himself. If he’d only taken his own advice, the very same advice he had offered Kyle, he himself would not be in this predicament.

“I just…” She began but realized she hadn’t given much thought to what she was going to say in the first place. Therefore, how could she explain it? She adverted her eyes and that only successfully managed to get Max to begin pacing again.

“You what? You want to know how many girls I’ve slept with in my lifetime? I think you have a pretty good idea of what the answer to that question is. What I can’t figure out is why you would ask me that?” He stopped in front of the couch at the other end of her room and sank into it tiredly. Was she trying to hurt him? Or herself for that matter, because that was the only thing he could imagine her reasoning behind the question as being.

“I never meant to hurt you, that was not why I asked.” Liz quickly scrambled off the bed and headed towards him. She couldn’t help the sob that escaped her lips as soon as she kneeled before him. Tentatively she reached out her hand to him, and to her utter and never ending gratitude, he didn’t pull away.

“Then why? You still haven’t answered me? You haven’t said anything,” he ground out between clenched teeth. Their eyes met for the first time, and he saw the tears. He hated to see her cry, he knew she’d probably cried enough tears to last her a lifetime. She didn’t need any more. He never wanted to make her cry.

“Liz,” he reached out to catch her tears but she moved away slightly. God, she doesn’t want me to touch her, he thought.

“I’m so sorry, Max. I was just scared.” She watched as confusion settled in his features and she couldn’t help but cry harder. Max quickly slipped off of the chair and kneeled down next to her. He hesitated for a moment, but then reached up and caressed her cheek gently, willing her to look at him and explain.

“What were you scared of baby?” he asked softly.

“I’m scared that I won’t be enough for you. I mean, when we get to that point, not that I’m ready, but…” Liz rambled and Max couldn’t help the small smile that crept up the corners of his mouth. He now understood her reasoning, it wasn’t to call him out on his past, it was simply because she was afraid that he’d compare her to other’s, which couldn’t have been further from the truth.

“Liz…”

“And what if you regret it? What if I regret it? Or what if you don’t tell me it’s not good or…hmm,” her words were successfully halted by his lips slanting against hers. His heart thumped rapidly his chest like a sledgehammer. Max was flooded by so many emotions, but above all he knew beyond a shadow of a doubt, that he loved Liz. He was in love for the first time in his life.

They pulled away panting against one another and somehow Max had managed to cradle her against his body, settling her firmly in his lap. “Liz, look at me.” He placed a finger beneath her chin, gently lifting her gaze to his. He loved her. God, did he love her. It was a revelation that was not only exhilarating but also terrifying at the same time.

“I…Liz…I…” he couldn’t tell her. What if she wasn’t ready to hear it and he managed to destroy what they had worked hard at building thus far? No, he would wait for the right moment to tell her. For now he needed to ease her worries.

“What?” Liz was mortified at her inexperience in everything.

“I want you to know that I would never compare you to anyone else that I’ve been with. And I never could, because they couldn’t even come close to you.” Max began to explain his feelings but Liz interrupted him. He’d forgotten how stubborn she was.

“How can you say that, Max?” she hissed out. “I’ve only been with one guy and that lasted about as long as it takes to brush your teeth. I don’t know what I’m doing and you do, how am I supposed to deal with that?” Liz asked feeling the blush that crept up her cheeks at that moment.

Max wanted her to understand that it wasn’t important, but how could he do that without hurting her feelings? He framed her face and placed a soft kiss on the tip of her nose before continuing.

“Liz, I might have experience, but did you ever think that maybe I’m terrified about that?” He looked at her and thought she looked adorable when she was confused. He hugged her tighter against his chest.

“Liz, I think about it all the time. What if I move too fast for you? What if I make you uncomfortable with something I’m doing to you? What if I don’t live up to your expectations? And God, what if I hurt you? I would kill myself if I did,” he whispered out and Liz quickly looked up and cupped his cheek in the palm of her hand. Is that how he really felt? One look into his eyes told Liz the truth. A sense of relief washed over her and now that he put her worries at ease, she needed to do the same for him.

“Max, I know you would never hurt me. You make me feel safe, and you make me so happy. It might scare me but I know that I never have to fear you. I just, I should have told you how I was feeling. This is all new to me,” Liz confessed softly while plucking at the neckline of his shirt.

“It’s all new to me too, baby. But Liz, we’re in a relationship, which means we can’t keep things from each other. It will only destroy us in the end. I need you to just be honest with me and I’ll promise to do that same.”

“Is that what this is?” She looked to him in awe. Yes, of course if she seriously thought about it, she’d know that they were in fact in a relationship. However, never being in one before she wasn’t sure what to call what they had.

“Jesus Parker, what the hell did you think we were doing?” Max scoffed playfully, knowing she hadn’t defined their situation. Hell, he hadn’t until today.

“I don’t know.” Liz shrugged, still not sure if Max really wanted her that way. No man ever wanted her that way.

“Do you want to be with me Liz? Because I want to be with you more than anything.” Liz’s ears and eyes perked up at his question. God, it was true. The one thing she’d always desired was that someone would want her just as much as she wanted them.

“God, yes. I want to be with you, Max. I never wanted anything more,” Liz smiled past her tears. Max let out a shuddering breath and crashed his lips against hers. He ran his hands through her hair and gently settled her back, until he was lying completely on top of her. He rested his weight on his elbows, as not to crush her. Opening his eyes, he smiled down at her tear stained face.

“Don’t cry baby.” He leaned in and kissed her again, this time he felt her wrap her arms around his neck and felt her tongue slide against his bottom lip. It was one of the first kisses she’d initiated to go further with, and his heart soared.

Liz felt completely consumed by Max once again. It was so easy for her to get lost in his kisses and caresses, everything that made him Max.

After a few minutes, Liz felt Max pull away. She watched panting, as he rested his knees on either side of her and then gently he leaned over and lifted her effortlessly in his arms. He crossed the room with her and placed her in the center of her bed.

“Tell me if I’m going to fast, okay?” he asked gently removing his shirt and dropping it to the floor beside him. Liz swallowed thickly as she watched through hooded lids as Max climbed up on the bed and laid against her. His body was perfect. She’d seen him without a shirt before, but never had she actually been able to feel him against her. Never had she been able to run her hands up and down his back and feel his taunt muscles flex beneath her fingertips.

“Liz, God…” Max moaned out softly against her neck. At first touch of her fingers against his back, Max thought he’d never felt anything as delicate as that. He tried to focus his attention on her though. Tonight was all about her, and making her feel special.

Slowly he began to kiss the sensitive skin at the base of her neck and then trailed upwards. He could feel the quick puffs of air escaping past her sweet lips and onto his shoulder. His body was quickly responding but he fought the urge to grind his body against hers. He needed to take his time with her; she was different in so many ways. And most importantly she meant the world to him.

Liz couldn’t believe what she was feeling, he was driving her crazy and she wanted…no she needed more of him. Tentatively, she reached down and brought her hands to his hips and then lower. She felt him tense and thought she might be doing something wrong. Just as she was removing her hands, Max stopped her with his words.

“Don’t stop, Liz. You have no idea what you make me feel, please don’t stop.” Max moved so that he faced her. Her features were flushed and her lips were swollen, she never looked more beautiful to him. Max slowly ran one long finger down her neck, down between the valley of her breasts and then reached around to grasp her hip. He watched as she threw her head back and moaned softly, she was so responsive to him. That drove him crazy with want, but he still needed to take it slow with her.

Max pulled back slowly, her eyes were closed and her chest rose and fell quickly, almost in tune with his own racing heartbeat. She had to be the most exquisite woman he’d ever laid eyes on, and she was his. It was enough for him to fall in love with her all over again, and run away at the same time. Deep down he still felt that maybe she would wake up one day and wonder what she was doing with someone like him in the first place.

“Max?” Her pleading voice broke him of his reviver.

“Yes?”

“T-touch me, please.” Liz finally gave into the feelings she had for this man. A man who seemed to be everything she wanted and needed in her life. At her words, Max raised himself back to his knees in front of her and slowly he ran his large hands up her legs. She was soft, softer than he ever imagined she would feel. He watched her watch him, as he ran his hands over her thighs and slowly parted them. He massaged the soft flesh and relished in the soft pleas that escaped her lips.

Liz felt as though she was on fire. Never had any man touched her this way, it was almost too much, and yet not enough. She wasn’t ready to have sex with him, but she wanted to feel his hands all over her body. Deciding that Max wouldn’t move any further until she gave him the affirmation, she reached out her shaky hand and placed it atop his.

Max’s eyes snapped to hers as if to confirm what he believed she wanted him to do. One look was all it took, and soon he found the elastic waist of her panties and slid them down her trim legs. He had to swallow thickly a few times, trying to fight the passion and lust he felt for her in that instant, otherwise he would have taken her at that moment.

Slowly he leaned over and kissed her lips, loving her mouth the way he wanted her body. Her soft tongue glided effortlessly over his. He needed to touch her, now that she was giving herself over freely to him. With their lips still sealed, Max ran his hands down over the soft swell of her breasts, down the flat expanse of her stomach and then lower, until he reached her center.

Liz tossed her head side to side, resisting the urge to thrust her hips into his hand. His hands were magic against her heated skin. It wasn’t enough and so she wrapped her arms around his neck, bringing him that much closer and thrust her tongue into his mouth. Max realized quickly that she needed more. Tentatively he cupped her sex in his hand and his eyes nearly crossed when she grinded her hips down into his hand. He could feel her wet heat against the palm of his hand. That combined with her writhing beneath him, Max knew that he wanted to feel and see her come apart in his arms.
“Max…please…” she begged softly and because he couldn’t deny her anything. He gently parted her folds and slid a finger over her. Instantly he could feel the wetness and knew that he couldn’t wait any longer.

“Liz, look at me.” He panted and waited until she opened her eyes. What he saw there blew him away. It was unequivocal passion; she wanted him as much as he wanted her.

“You’re so beautiful, Liz…”

“Max…” she moaned out and arched her body as he slipped a finger inside of her moist heat.

“God, Liz…so beautiful,” he kissed her nose, her mouth, her cheek, any place he could reach all the while increasing his ministrations below. He felt her body tense and he knew she was close. Watching her moan out in excitement was bringing him to the brink, he’d never released without a being immediately involved in a sexual act. She wasn’t even touching him and he was about to explode.

Max added another finger and began to pump them into her body, over and over until she screamed out his name as her body convulsed and tensed beneath him.

“Oh God…I’ve never felt anything like that before,” Liz sighed as she rested her head against his chest, after switching positions a few minutes later.

“Me either.” Max smiled and kissed the top of her head. He pushed her hair back and ran his hand down her arm, trying to get his breathing under control.

“What…what about you?” Liz didn’t look him in the eye. Still somewhat uncomfortable about being half naked and having him touch her body so intimately.

“Liz, look at me.” And she obeyed.

“That was the single most amazing thing I’ve ever experienced. Watching you like that was incredible. I’ve never…God…I’ve never been more turned on in my entire life than I was by watching you.” Liz blushed.

“Really?” She still wasn’t sure if she had done everything right. It felt right, but what if…

“Hey, stop doubting yourself. And just to prove you wrong, because I know you know how much I like it when I’m right, take a look.” Max nodded down to his still hardened erection. He had already removed his pants, leaving him only in a pair of boxers.

“Oh.” Was all she said, as a smile played on her lips.

“Yeah. Oh. So baby, next time you think that, remember this moment.” Max smiled and pulled her against him for soft kiss.

They lay in bed together, holding one another until they both fell asleep, but it was Max that woke up first in the middle of the night.

Should he stay or should he go? He never spent the night with a woman before and just slept, and moreover would Liz want him to? He was torn between what he wanted to do, and what he thought Liz would want him to do. Max turned over slightly, but stopped immediately when he heard her sweet voice.

“Max, don’t go. Don’t leave me,” Liz whispered out, half asleep. She knew that Max had probably never slept in a bed with a woman without having sex with her. Liz wanted what he had with all those other women to be different than with her, and therefore she couldn’t let him leave.

Max turned and pulled her against him, watching as she cuddled up against him and rested her head against his chest. He closed his eyes and took a deep breath, wrapping his arm more securely around her. He reveled in the feel of her resting her hand against his chest and the feel of her naked leg slung over his equally naked one.

They were perfect together, that was his last coherent thought before falling into the most restful sleep of his life.

TBC…

Last note…I just wanted to thank all of you who have nominated this story for Best Challenge Response and Favorite Portrayal of a Child for Alexis and any other category I'm forgetting. It means a lot to me that you take the time to acknowledge this fic (and any of my others) in any way. See you next week!
Behrsgirl77
Obsessed Roswellian

Post by Behrsgirl77 »

A/N – Well that didn’t take me too long, thankfully. I didn’t have a word written for this part a few hours ago, but now it’s done! You guys seriously blow me away with your comments. Of course you also make me blush with your comments on my writing. I’m glad to know I am improving; hopefully I’ll get better with time :wink:

I wasn’t too sure about the last part, I wanted it to be something simple between Max and Liz and I’m glad you all enjoyed it! I did my job :wink:

begonia9508
Jason's Princess
FSUMSW94
Behrsgirl1230

linliz68 – Special thanks to you for reading over this part and figuring out those damn words I just couldn’t get LOL!!
ILYMEFOREVER
imnotlc
Earth2Mama
Roswell 10/2/00
roswellfreak07
Ellie
Jason's Lover
roswell3053
lazza
anonymousarfan

frenchkiss70 – Tiph…me get soft?! Ha! You want drama…keep your eyes open cause I got a whole lot of that coming. Oh and… D.A.R.I.A.N.A. :twisted:
hazz
Erina258
RoswellLover4ever
vampyrax
Timelord31
Dreamer06
POM
VeronicB

aussietrueblue
cowgirl
guelbebek

cocopucks – oh don’t worry more of ‘those’ parts are coming in the near future ;)
BehrObsession
cherie – I’m coming to live with you! I’ve just decided this…I’m camping out in your backyard with my tent. Did I mention I hate the outdoors? LOL!! Love you!
RoswellScripter
Sweet Liz

Bixie – Thanks for your help as well! Granted it was for another story…but I didn’t want to leave you out ;)
jeja911
mareli
Clari

Coccy – Just wanted to say…I love the site! So pretty!
Lurkers - Thanks for reading! Hope you enjoy :wink:

Chapter 20

The sun peeked in through the long white sheer curtains across the room. It was a beautiful day, a day of new beginnings. Which was an optimistic thought for Liz Parker because to her the glass was always half empty. This morning however, lying in Max’s arms, made her truly believe it might just be half full after all. Last night was unlike any other night she’d experienced in her twenty-three years of life.

Slowly, without waking him, she rested her chin on his strong broad chest. He truly was beautiful up close and so sexy without even trying. So she was jealous of him a little. Liz was sure that she looked like hell this morning, if the knot of hair she felt a moment ago when she rolled over was any indication.

He was simply exquisite, complete and utter perfection. Never in a million years did she believe anyone that looked like Max would even give her a passing thought, let alone actually want to be with her. It terrified her more than she let on. Yes, she wanted to be with him but what did that mean? How was she supposed to act? Would she eventually become too clingy and he wouldn’t want her around anymore? No, she thought immediately, that was not Max. Despite all her insecurities she knew he would never want that. Odd how she could pick up on what he wanted and didn’t. She snuggled closer to his chest and draped one leg over his waist.

Last night was perfect in so many ways. He was so gentle and sincere with her; he treated her as if she was the most precious thing in the world. And she felt that way, she felt perfect in his arms. The way his hands ran delicately over her skin, heating it up with each caress. Liz never felt that before, not even an ounce of that with Jimmy. Then again she wasn’t with him long enough for that to even take place. No, she thought there would never be any comparison to the way Max touched her. It was amazing and precious all at the same time.

That is what scared her and left her wondering just what the hell he was doing with her to begin with. She never saw herself as strikingly beautiful. She could have only guessed what the girls Max dated or rather slept with in the past looked like. Liz knew that Max had said he wouldn’t compare her to other girls, but how could he not? She was short, and her hair was straight and plain, and her body, well last night she was sure it was too dark for him to see the marks left by carrying her daughter for nine months. Not that they were overtly visible, but they were there nevertheless.

Liz tried to bite back the overwhelming need to leave the bed at that moment, but then she chanced another glace at his serene features. And it was at that moment she knew that Max didn’t play games and if he weren’t genuinely interested in her, he wouldn’t pretend. Her heart sped up at the thought; he really wanted her.

That thought brought her back to her previous fears, what did that mean? Obviously they would date, but she didn’t know how to date. As a matter of fact she didn’t know what to do with a guy. She paused in thought for a moment and realized the ridiculousness of her thoughts. This was Max, she thought. She knew him and had already been around him long enough to know how to act. Obviously, she was putting too much thought into the situation.

A moment later she felt him shift a bit and wrap his arms around her, pulling her on top of him. “Morning baby, what are you thinking about?” Max murmured out gruffly to her, still trying to fully awaken. It was such a different experience, actually waking up with someone next to him. He had just deduced that he loved it, but only with Liz.

“Morning,” Liz smiled up at him.

“I was just thinking about you.” Liz admitted with a blush.

“Good to know I’m on your mind first thing in the morning. I like that,” Max said as he kissed the top of her head. He wanted to kiss her, but thought better of it. Although the prospect of feeling her soft, warm lips against his was worth it, even he knew that morning breath wasn’t sexy.

“Oh no, is your ego getting inflated again?” Liz swatted his chest softly.

“Again? It was never deflated.” Max grinned at her knowingly. He loved joking around with her; it was so natural to him.

“Did you sleep well?” Liz asked resting her cheek above his heart. The sound of the steady rhythm was slowly lulling her back to sleep.

“Yes. Better than I have in ages. Thanks to you.” The soft rumble of his voice and the warmth of his body were enough to drive her senses crazy. Liz lifted her head and smiled shyly up at him, his words were always on target. They were what she needed to hear, and they gave her a confidence she never knew she had. They were both lost in their thoughts when suddenly Liz realized they had been in bed for quite a while. Alexis would be getting up soon, if she wasn’t already and she couldn’t catch them in here like this.

“What time is it?” Liz asked and she quickly rose to her knees, dragging the sheet with her.

Max felt the coldness hit him immediately upon Liz’s retreat. He missed her already, and he was falling faster than he ever expected. Things were going to only get more complicated if he didn’t tell her how he felt. Then again, how would she react? Did she love him? Probably not, he supposed. What if he scared her away by telling her too soon? He couldn’t risk it, he wouldn’t.

He leaned over and eyed the alarm clock, he figured Liz suspected that it was well passed the time Alexis usually woke up. Max also knew that the first thing Alexis did when she woke up was go to her mother’s room to see if she was up yet.

“Do you think she saw us?” Liz asked as she stood and quickly searched for more clothing than she was wearing.

“No. I’m sure she didn’t. She would have probably said something, you know her Liz.” Max tried to reason in an even tone. Knowing that Liz would be easily startled with the revelation that her daughter found her in bed with him half naked.

He groaned.

“I know, Max. I know exactly what you’re thinking. We shouldn’t have…” Liz trailed off as soon as she saw Max’s features tense.

“That’s not what I meant. Last night…it was perfect Max. I don’t regret it, do you?” Liz asked coming to kneel beside him on the bed. He had the sheet draped over his waist and she thought he looked incredibly sexy and if she didn’t have a little girl to worry about she would never leave the bed, so long as he was in it with her.

“Liz, any time or anything I do with you, I could never regret.” Max smiled and effortlessly lifted her onto his lap.

“Max! You keep lifting me and Alexis and you’ll re-injure yourself.” Liz scolded him gently.

“Liz, please. You weigh what? A hundred pounds wet. And Alexis is lighter than my gym bag, so don’t worry about me. I’ll be fine.” Max reassured her while nuzzling her neck. Even in the morning she was just as soft as she was last night. Max began to kiss her neck gently, nibbling on the soft flesh but was stopped abruptly by the sound of Alexis’s sweet voice through the door.

“Mommy! Are you in there?!” Alexis shouted knowing damn well her mother was in there with Max. She had awoken a little while ago and saw her mommy and Max talking. She was going to interrupt them but thought that they looked happy so she didn’t want to ruin that. After all she still wanted Max as her daddy and the only way for that to happen was if her mommy fell in love with Max.

“Yes, I’ll be right out!” Liz yelled out gathering her clothing in her arms.

“Could she be any more obvious that she knows we’re both in here?” Liz muttered under her breath, but indirectly speaking to Max as well. Max couldn’t help but laugh as Liz hopped around the room on one leg.

“This isn’t funny!” Liz hissed out at him. Did he not realize how serious this was?

“Liz, calm down. It will be fine.” Max quickly pulled on his pants and a shirt and crossed the room to hold her.

“Max, what if she’s confused? You know she wants you to be her father and I don’t want her getting the wrong idea.” Liz explained gently but realized the error of her words.

“That’s not what I meant,” she rushed out.

“Liz, I know what you mean. She’s young and very impressionable. But look at it this way, she didn’t just burst in here with questions, which to me means that she knows that it’s important that she lets the adults do what they need to do.” Max explained while pushing her hair back away from her face. God, even in the morning and her hair completely disheveled, she was still beautiful and he loved her.

“I know. You’re right Max. How about some breakfast?”

“That sounds perfect.” He smiled and kissed her cheek softly, letting her go but promising himself it wouldn’t be too long before he had her back in his arms.

“Mommy?”

“Yes sweetie?” Liz swallowed thickly. She knew her daughter had a question on her mind and prayed that it wasn’t about what she saw this morning. Liz was still chiding herself for not having the hindsight to lock the door last night.

“When do I have to go to school?” Alexis asked as she swung her legs back and forth while sitting on top of the counter.

“You have to go in two weeks. And I know you’re going to love it.” Liz placed the dishrag she had in her hands down and cupped her daughter’s cheeks in her palms. She kissed her button nose and hugged her against her chest.

“What if I don’t like it? Can I stay home with Max?” Alexis asked hopeful.

Liz laughed gently as she lifted her daughter in her arms. She walked into the living room with her and placed her on her lap. When did her daughter get so big, she wondered.

“No, you can’t. And Max isn’t going to be home either. Remember he told you he was going to be coaching the team he played for?” Liz asked gently as she stroked her daughter’s ruthless curls.

“Yes, mommy. But he said that he would still make time for us.” Alexis blinked up innocently at her mommy. She still wanted to ask her about this morning, when she saw her and Max together, but thought maybe she could talk to Max about it. She didn’t want to upset her mommy.

“Yes of course! He’s going to have a big job and he’ll be busy but Max will always make time.” Liz reassured her daughter and then proceeded to pepper her face with kisses.

“Mommy! Stop it! I’m getting all wet from your kisses!” Alexis squirmed in her mother’s arms.

“I’m allowed to because why?” Liz began blowing raspberries against her daughter’s tummy.

“Because you’re the mommy!” Alexis squealed. She was so ticklish.

“Don’t you forget it,” Liz said as she set her daughter back on her lap.

“Don’t forget what?” Max asked as he entered the room. Eyeing both Liz and Alexis he had to wonder, if just for that moment, how blessed he was having them enter his life in such a unique way.

“That mommy is the mommy!” Alexis stated extracting herself from her mother’s arms, only to bounce on the couch and up into Max’s open arms.

“Lexi, what did I tell you about bouncing on the furniture?” Liz scolded her daughter. Yes, she was spoiled but she needed to be respectful.

“Sorry,” Alexis mumbled out an apology that was clearly not genuine. She loved jumping into Max’s arm. He was so warm and strong.

“Max where are you going?” Liz questioned with a raised brow. He was dressed and looked ready to head out the door, keys in hand.

“Oh, I needed to stop at the store. Didn’t I tell you?” Max struggled for a good excuse, but was failing miserably.

“No, you didn’t.” Liz eyed him suspiciously as she stood with crossed arms.

“Oh, well I need to go to the store.” Max smiled and then heard Alexis giggle. Even she knew his excuse was lame.

“Uh huh…” Liz was about to continue with her scrutiny but the phone rang interrupting her teasing of Max.

“So princess, you want to come shopping with me?” Max whispered into her ear, once Liz was out of earshot.

“Oh! Can I?” Alexis’s eyes lit up like two big bright beams.

“Yes, you have to come with me to get your mother’s birthday present.” Max smiled at her enthusiasm.

“Ooh!” Alexis bounced in his arms and wrapped her arms around his neck. She placed a big smacking kiss on his cheek.

“Max, do you think that you could watch Alexis for a few hours?” Liz asked as soon as she entered the room. Now she eyed both of them suspiciously. They were…glowing.

“Of course, I can.” Could it be any more perfect, he thought.

“Ready princess?” Max asked waiting for Alexis to say goodbye to her mother.

“Liz?” He called out to her from the front door.

“Yes?”

“Where are you going?” He realized that he hadn’t asked her.

“Oh, I have an interview and they wanted to know if I could come down in a few minutes.” Liz answered him as she reached the front door and stood in front of him.

“Okay. Well call me if you need me.” Max leaned in and kissed her cheek goodbye.

“Max, can I ask you something about mommy and you?” Alexis asked softly. They were in the car for a few minutes and she was bursting at the seams to talk to Max about this morning.

“Of course, you can ask me anything.” Max had a feeling he already knew what she was going to ask. She looked so tiny in the back seat. Perfect, sweet and tiny. He loved her just as much as he did Liz.

“This morning, when I went to mommy’s room, I opened the door, like I always do and I saw you with my mommy. How come?” Alexis tilted her head sideways waiting patiently for an answer.

Max however was not as calm. In fact, he didn’t realize that he was gripping the steering wheel so tightly, until he felt his hands ache. What should he say? He glanced in the rear view mirror and swallowed thickly, praying Liz would not be upset with what he said.

“Me and your mommy were just talking this morning.” Max figured that was the best, and vaguest answer he could give. He hoped it was enough.

“What were you talking about?” He knew it was too good to be true.

“We were talking about you.”

“What about me?” Was he there yet? He took in his surroundings and realized that he wasn’t that far from his destination, but he needed to get there soon.

“Just about you starting school and how we thought you would love it.” That ought to squelch her curiosity, or so he prayed.

“That’s all?” Alexis was not getting the answer she wanted, and was feeling a bit disappointed.

“Yes. Why? What did you think we were talking about?” Max asked not a little intrigued.

Alexis shrugged and turned towards the window, watching the cars pass by quickly. “I just thought maybe you were talking about something else.”

“What princess? You can tell me.” Max reassured her, realizing quickly she was obviously upset about something.

“I thought maybe my mommy was there with you because she was telling you she loved you.” Alexis mumbled out half-heartedly.

Max quickly pulled into the nearest parking space, since they had arrived at their intended location. He unbuckled his seatbelt and turned in his seat to face Alexis.

“Princess, I know you’re confused but…” What? He wanted to scream! Yes, he loved Liz, but he suspected Liz was not there yet. And yet her daughter was, the irony of the situation hit him hard.

“Is it a grown up thing?” Alexis asked when she saw Max struggling with his words.

“Yes. It is princess. And you know that I love you, right?” Max asked and his heart leapt into his throat when she smiled brightly and asked him to unbuckle her. Which he did with great ease and then was surprised at the force she lunged herself into his arms.

“I know you do! I love you too, Max. I love you like a daddy,” Alexis leaned back and stared at Max closely. She didn’t want to upset him and by the look on his face, she didn’t.

“Max?”

“Hmm?” Max was still in a daze. He again, never thought he could be anyone’s father but he never wished for anything more at that moment, than to be hers.

“I know you’re not my daddy, and I never had one, but I love you like a daddy. Is that okay?” Alexis asked unsure of herself. Yes, she knew Max was not her father, but she loved him like he was, but she wasn’t sure if she was allowed to.

Max became choked up and his eyes began to tear up, he had never known a love as simple as hers. He knew he was truly blessed in having her stroll into his hospital room that day, not so long ago. She was his angel, an angel without wings, but an angel nevertheless.

“Alexis, I love you like a daughter and I can’t tell you want is going to happen with me and your mother, but know this, forever and for always I am going to love you. And when you need me, I’m going to be there for you. You never have to worry about that, I’ll always be here for you, and I’ll always love you.” Max pulled her against him, and cradled her small frame in his arms.

“The way you feel is not wrong, don’t ever think that okay?” Max asked framing her tiny face in his large hands.

“Okay.” Alexis smiled brightly at him.

“You ready to go shopping now?” Max asked as the thumping in his chest subsided.

“Yes!”

“Are you sure this is the one?” Max asked her for the tenth time. Alexis crossed her arms over her chest, feigning being hurt by his question. Even the saleswoman was getting a little restless.

“Yes. I told you mommy looked at it and smiled. She liked that one. The flower thingy one.” Alexis pointed her tiny finger out at the necklace hanging in the saleswoman’s hand.

Flower thingy one? What the hell did that mean? Oh God! What if she was wrong? There were a few in the display case, and he didn’t want to get the wrong one. He had Liz’s birthday almost completely planned and he couldn’t mess up one of her presents.

“Alexis, did you look at all of them? Are you…”

“Sure? Yes. I think the girl is sure.” The saleswoman laughed, she couldn’t help it. She knew the moment he walked into the store, he was Max Evans. And she found it pretty endearing how he interacted with the small child he came in with. She wasn’t blind, he was an amazingly handsome and sexy, if she might add, man. She knew he wasn’t married, nor did he have children, but obviously the girl he had been pictured with a few times had caught him. Lucky girl, she thought to herself.

“I know. I know, it’s just it has to be…”

“Perfect!” Both the saleswoman and Alexis finished for him. Max felt the blush that crept up his cheeks. He was being ridiculous. He could just very well buy every single rose pendant in the store, but then it wouldn’t be special. And Liz deserved nothing but that.

“All right! I’ll take this one.” Alexis smiled and the saleswoman let out a breath of relief she hadn’t known she was holding until that moment.

Max turned to Alexis, kneeled down next to her and decided it was a perfect time for her to buy her mother a present.

“So princess, what are you going to get your mother for her birthday?”

Alexis shrugged and kicked the imaginary dirt on the rug beneath her feet. “Nothing, because I don’t have a job.”

“A job?” Max tried to hide his smile. She was simply adorable.

“Yes,” she sighed and then wrung her hands together nervously.

“You have to have a job to buy things. But I’m too little, mommy won’t even let me cook, so she’s not gonna let me work either!” Alexis crossed her arms defiantly. That last comment was all Max could take, he burst out laughing.

He quickly recovered when he saw her brown eyes fill with unshed tears. “How about you pick something out for her and I’ll pay for it. But you can say it was from you?”

“No.”

“No?”

“No, cause then it’s from you, cause you paid for it.” Max was smart didn’t he understand, she thought.

“Okay, how about you repay me?”

“How? I don’t have any money.” Her bottom lip began to quiver. Oh no, Max panicked, he didn’t want her crying.

“You can pay me back in hugs and kisses.” Max thought quickly.

“Really?!” Alexis’ eyes lit up and a smile graced her beautiful face.

“Yes! I love them and I don’t think I’ve gotten enough of them.”

“Yay! I can do that real easy!” Alexis jumped into his arms, as he stood and faced the display case.

“Pick something out, princess.”

“Mommy needs earrings, Max.” Alexis explained as her eyes roamed over all the shiny jewelry.

“Okay, earrings it is.” Max nodded.

“Oh! And she needs a bracelet; mommy doesn’t have one of those either.” Alexis continued on and Max could do nothing but smile. Because at that moment he finally realized how great his life really was. In fact, he realized for the first time in his life, he wanted to live it to the fullest.

TBC…
Last edited by Behrsgirl77 on Sat Oct 22, 2005 8:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Behrsgirl77
Obsessed Roswellian

Post by Behrsgirl77 »

A/N - OMG! Finally I have an update! Thanks for being so patient with me!!

Thank you all for the feedback means so much to me!! You all have Kara (Eccentric One) to thank for pushing me to get this part done!! She's been working on it with me for days :oops: That's why she's my new beta...she can whip me into shape LOL! Thank you for your help and not letting me give up...and helping me see things differently! Love you!!

Hope you all enjoy...

Chapter 21

Max crept into Alexis’ bedroom early that morning; she was still asleep and looking as precious as ever. They had a big week, he reflected. And today all that hard work would pay off, or so he hoped.

He was nervous, not for the first time either. In fact, ever since he met the two leading ladies in his life, he’d been a total wreck inside. They meant the world to him and he wanted to experience everything with them. Today, he hoped to share some of the finer points of his world with Liz.

“Princess,” he whispered out to her. He smiled to himself when she didn’t even stir. Resting on his bent knees, he leaned over and brushed her soft curls from her face and kissed her cheek.

“Max,” she yawned out as she fisted her hands, rubbing out the sleep from her eyes.

“Morning,” he pulled the sheets from her waist and waited until she reached out for him to lift her. Max lifted her in his arms and she quickly kissed his cheek.

“Morning. Is it time?” she asked and Max could hear the enthusiasm in her sleepy voice.

“Yes it’s time. You ready?” he asked pulling away slightly to peer into her brown eyes.

“I’m ready!” she clasped her hands behind his neck and rested her head against his shoulder.

“Let’s go see if breakfast is ready yet,” he murmured out softly as they made their way downstairs, into the kitchen.

“You gonna make those square pancakes again?” Alexis scrunched up her nose when he deposited her on the countertop.

“No, smarty pants. Breakfast is already done. We have to decorate.” Max had actually asked the cook to come over early today and make a full breakfast for them. Max kissed the tip of her nose as he turned to get her a glass of juice.

“Yay!” Alexis clapped her hands in excitement. She couldn’t wait to decorate with all the balloons she and Max bought yesterday.

“Here you go.” He reached out the glass to her and helped to make sure she didn’t spill any on her new pajamas. Max knew that she’d be upset if she ruined them before her mother got to see them.

“Is it time to wake mommy up?” Alexis asked as a smile graced her face. Max however, knew that he should have discussed his plans with her sooner and just hoped that she went along with it without getting upset. Of course, if she ended up being upset, he would postpone his surprise for Liz.

“Princess, can I talk to you for a minute?” He lifted her into his arms and walked them into the living room. Max placed her on his lap and waited until he had her undivided attention.

“You know how special today is right?”

“Yup! It’s my mommy’s birthday!” Alexis beamed brightly.

“Right. So I wanted to ask you a favor.”

“Okay.” Alexis smiled.

“I wondered if maybe since you have to get the flowers that Maria is bringing over ready and the card all filled out, if maybe I could wake your mother up…alone.” Max winced in fear that she would be terribly upset.

“Oh. You don’t want me to help you wake mommy?” Alexis asked sadly.

“No, it’s not like that sweetheart. I want you to help me, but if you’re up there with me, then who will be down here to get all the surprises ready?” Alexis looked at Max. She saw that he looked worried about something, but what? She didn’t know, but maybe it had to do with her mommy. Maybe Max was worried everything wouldn’t be ready for her when she woke up and she wouldn’t be happy with her surprises.

Alexis knew that Max liked her mommy a lot, so maybe he wanted to talk to her or maybe even kiss her. Gross, she thought. She didn’t want to see it again. They looked happy when they did it but she didn’t like it to watch it.

“Okay. You can wake mommy up and I’ll get all the surprises ready!” Alexis kissed Max and hugged him, letting him know that it was okay and that she wasn’t upset with him.

“You sure?” Max was relieved; she didn’t look upset in the least. Now, he only had to hope that Liz wasn’t disappointed.

“Yes! When is Maria coming? I have a lot of stuff to do before mommy gets downstairs.” Alexis pushed off of Max’s lap and made a beeline for the closet at the far end of the hall. Max caught her pulling out the balloons they stashed there late last night. He smiled to himself at the picture she made.

Last night, she asked for Max to tuck her in so that she could put on the pajamas Max had bought her especially for today. They were pink with the words, mommy’s little girl, printed on them in white.

“You need any help?” he called out to her.

“No, I’m a big girl. I can do it all by myself.” Alexis turned on her slipper-clad feet and continued to pull out the balloons. Max watched with a smile on his face as she tried to get them all out of the closet.

The smile died on his lips a few moments later. Today was a big day and he hoped that everything went as planned. It was yet again a momentous occasion in Max’s life. It was the first birthday he’d ever had to plan for a woman. He was excited and nervous all at the same time.

A few minutes later the sound of a knock on the door made him aware that Maria had arrived. He rose from the couch to let her in. When he opened the door, he was greeted with a bright smile and a face full of roses. In fact, every color rose known to man surrounded her. The florist was behind her, along with three other men who were unloading the truck in the driveway.

“Morning lover boy!” Maria greeted him as she made her way inside.

“Morning.” Max smiled and felt some relief at Maria’s arrival. Everything was going according to plan, so far.

“Maria, we have to hurry cause Max is gonna wake mommy up and I have to get everything ready,” Alexis jumped into Maria’s waiting arms.

“I know sweetie, do you have the presents ready?”

“Oh! I have them,” Alexis jumped down to the floor, making a soft thud and ran into the dinning room. Max and Maria looked at each other confused, but followed anyway.

“I brought them down here last night, when you and mommy were asleep.” Max watched as she crawled under the table and pulled out a few wrapped boxes. He had helped her wrap them, but for the most part she had insisted she do it herself.

“Okay princess, looks like you and Maria need to be alone to get everything ready. I’m going to go upstairs and wake your mother up,” Max smiled and watched as Alexis situated herself on one of the chairs.

“Don’t do it quick, Max. I have to make it really pretty for mommy, okay?” Alexis waited for Max’s confirmation before calling for Maria to help her with the flowers.

Max just shook his head. At that moment, Max thought he actually fell even more in love with her. What was it about the Parker women that had his heart and stomach in a twist, he wondered.

As quietly as possible, he crept into her room. Since he wasn’t sure what color rose Liz loved the most, Max brought one of each color with him upstairs. Once he reached her side, he decided he didn’t want to wake her right away.

She looked so peaceful, so beautiful and his heart constricted. He loved her more with every passing day and with that love grew a fear. Fear that she would deny him. That she would not return his feelings. That was a reality that left him paralyzed.

How was he able to love her so easily? Knowing her past, he knew it wouldn’t be as easy for her. He was patient, but how much could his heart take if he gave her everything and received nothing in return? Max sat down on the chair across from her bed and watched her. He wanted to run his hands down her silky brown hair. He wanted to kiss her breathless, and more than anything he wanted to tell her that she was the only woman he ever wanted to wake up to every day, for the rest of his life.

Things were moving too quickly. What was wrong with him? Besides his first girlfriend, he’d never dated a girl long enough to share anything of substance with them. Now though, he found himself thinking of ways to spend even more time with Liz and Alexis.

In the back of his mind he knew that Liz was stubborn and if he pushed her, she would run. Yes, there were things he still had yet to learn about her, but that much was true. He couldn’t force her, couldn’t command anymore than she was willing to give. So where did that leave him, he wondered.

Between love and frustration, that’s where. Max knew he couldn’t conceal his feelings from Liz much longer, and so he went on blind faith that if not today, sometime soon, she would love him.

He wasn’t perfect and he wasn’t without a past, but as Liz had expressed to him in the past, that did not make him the man he is today. And the man now kneeling beside her bed was going to hold onto the hope that her heart would open to his. That her heart could find a way to love him back…one day.

“Liz,” he whispered into her ear softly. Even in sleep she smelt incredible to him, like baby powder. Probably Alexis’ he grinned.

Liz peeked out one brown eye from behind her sheets, a smile quickly formed on her lips at the sight of Max kneeling beside her.

“Morning,” she half yawned as she rolled onto her back and sat up. She could tell Max had something behind his back.

“Happy Birthday, Liz.” Max leaned up and kissed her lips softly. He saw the blush that tinted her flawless cheeks.

“Thank you, M—” The words died on her lips when Max stood and brought his arms around to reveal a colorful bouquet of roses he had been hiding.

“Oh God, Max. They’re beautiful.” Liz leaned up and took the bundle of flowers in her hands. She brought them to her nose and took a deep breath; she always loved the smell of roses.

“There are so many colors. I’ve never seen so many of them,” Liz smiled as Max took a seat beside her.

“I wanted to surprise you with them and I wanted to give you something you’ve never had,” Max said as he leaned in and pushed a strand of hair behind her ear, before cupping her cheek gently.

“Max,” Liz started hesitantly. What was he going to do, she wondered. Her heart began to race as he moved closer, and of their own accord, her eyes closed and she licked her lips in anticipation.

Max leaned in, morning breath be damned, and kissed her lips. He massaged them with his own, until he felt her melt into him. He removed the flowers from her hands, and without breaking their kiss he pulled her into his lap.

Liz ran her hands through his hair, reveled in the feel of his warm body enveloping hers. She shivered slightly at the feel of his warm, soft lips dragging across hers. Gently at first and then more insistently, as he wrapped his arms around her waist, bringing her that much closer to his body.

“Max…” Liz moaned out softly as she threw her head back and allowed Max greater access to the sensitive flesh at the base of her neck. Max smiled to himself. He loved that he could do so little, yet elicit such deep responses from her. She felt perfect in his hands, no one ever felt this way to him. Never had he taken the time to care about what his kisses did. Liz was different; everything with her was better, brighter and sweeter.

“God Liz,” Max hissed out as he felt her wriggle herself on his lap. It was taking all his self-control to not take her. He wanted her more than his next breath, but they had to take things slow, no matter how hard that would be.

“Hmm, Max.” Liz smiled as she placed butterfly kisses along his neck and back up to his face. He tasted incredible and she wanted to crawl inside of his body. Never had she woken up to this type of treatment. It was something she could easily get used to. She had a feeling that Max was enjoying it just as much she was.

Soon their kisses died down and Max cradled Liz’s face in his large hands, waiting for the moment when she opened her beautiful brown eyes. When she did, their eyes locked and they both smiled happily.

“Was that okay?” Max asked hesitantly, he wanted to know how she felt. He wanted her to be the one to express how she felt to him.

“It was perfect.” Liz smiled and pulled Max back for another quick peck. Max couldn’t help the goofy grin that played on his lips. Little did she know that he thought she was perfect.

“You ready for your next surprise?”

“Hmm, does it involve a certain five year old?” Liz wiggled her eyebrows as Max helped her to her feet.

“You know, I think it does.” Max pulled her into his arms once again, kissing her lips quickly before it grew into something more.

“I love kissing you Liz,” he confessed with a blush.

“Are you blushing?” Liz changed the subject as quickly as she could. Max said that he loved kissing her. It wasn’t the first time but there was something in the way he said it this time. Like he meant more, and she was not ready for that.

“I’m a football player. I don’t blush,” Max blushed again. He knew it but he didn’t care, not really.

“Aww, don’t worry. I won’t tell anyone your little secret. You know Max, I think it’s great that you’ve gotten in touch with your feminine side,” Liz joked as she snaked out of his grasp.

“You’re going to pay for that one,” Max declared with a laugh as he watched her try and outrun him.

“Oh, I’m scared!” Liz’s eyes went wide and she visibly shuddered in mock fright.

“Oh that’s it! No more birthday presents for you,” Max threatened with no intention of upholding the threat.

“No fair! It’s my birthday. You, as my boyfriend, are supposed to shower me with gifts and stuff.” Liz crossed her arms feigning being hurt. She was adorable and sexy and she didn’t even try to be, Max thought with a coy smile playing on his lips.

“Stuff? What stuff? I bought you flowers, is that not enough?” Max crossed his arms in challenge.

“No, that’s not what I meant,” Liz stuttered trying to find the right words. She didn’t want to offend Max if that was all he had planned. It wasn’t like she’d ever received such a good morning greeting before from a man.

“I mean, yes they are enough. They are beautiful, Max. Really…” she trailed off, avoiding his eyes.

“I can’t believe you, Liz! You seriously expected something more?” Max asked taking a few steps closer to her. He could tell she was starting to feel bad, but he wasn’t done yet. He wanted to break down her walls, just a little.

“No,” she shook her head but then peered up into his eyes, and sighed.

“Okay! Fine. You want to know the truth?” Max nodded and waited to hear what she had to say.

“I thought that maybe, you had something else planned and I don’t know, maybe you got me a present. The flowers are beautiful, and I’ve never gotten them from anyone that wasn’t Alexis, but…” she nibbled on her bottom lip and noticed how close Max was to her now.

“But?” Max raised his eyebrow in question.

“But, I was just expecting more from you. Not that I’m trying to be materialistic or anything,” she looked up again and saw an indescribable look cross his face before returning serious again.

“I guess what I’m trying to say is that, I was hoping today would be…that it would be…special. God! This is coming out all wrong. Max,” she reached up and framed his face in her hands.

“Yes,” he whispered out. The moment was right. He wanted to tell her he loved her, and a part of him prayed that the next words from her mouth were exactly that, but they weren’t.

“This morning, the way you woke me up. No one has ever done that for me. The way you make me feel…Max I feel special when I’m with you,” she sighed and brushed a soft kiss against his lips.

That was music to his ears. He dropped his serious look and let her off the hook. “Liz, I was only messing with you. I have the entire day planned.” He watched as her eyes lit up. Max smiled, even though a small part of him had to wonder, if when all was said and done, would his heart be enough for her? He knew she wasn’t materialistic, and he could afford to buy her anything in the world, except her love. She would have to learn to give it to him freely. He pushed those thoughts to the side. Today was supposed to be a happy day.

“Really?” She honestly didn’t want to seem materialistic. She just hoped that Max didn’t have anything to do today and could spend it with her. She had successfully put her foot in her mouth a moment ago. She would need to make up for that later.

“Yes, really. In fact, there is a certain someone waiting downstairs for you. We’ve been planning this for weeks.” Max smiled and wrapped his arms around her waist.

“I’m surprised she isn’t here now.”

“It took a little convincing, but she agreed to let me do this for you. That’s why this afternoon will be reserved for you and Alexis, but tonight,” he whispered huskily into her ear, pulling her even closer, “Tonight, is for you and me.” Max kissed her cheek gently before placing his hand in hers and ushering her out of the room.

“Max,” Liz’s voice stopped him abruptly. He turned to face her.

“This morning was the first birthday since I had Alexis, where she wasn’t there to wake me up,” she began struggling to find the right words to describe what she felt in her heart.

Max’s heart fell. She wasn’t happy that he had woken her up alone. It figured. She didn’t feel the same way. She couldn’t possibly imagine what it felt like for him to be in love with her. He watched the expressions cross her face. She appeared to be in deep thought. Torn between something. Maybe she was trying to let him down gently. Maybe she was hurt that he didn’t include her daughter in his little surprise. Maybe he was just kidding himself into thinking that Liz could ever really want him.

How could she express to Max what she felt when she opened her eyes this morning and saw it was him that had woken her? Could she come out and tell him that for the first time in her life she truly felt special and wanted? Above all else, she felt a flutter in her heart she’d never felt before when he looked at her. He made her feel important. She glanced back up at him and saw the sorrow becoming more apparent in his eyes. She knew she had explain herself, and quickly.

“What I’m trying to say is that, it was different but it was a good different.” Liz smiled when she saw that Max understood what she meant. His face lit up with a beautiful smile, one that made her toes curl and her heart fluttered, yet again.

Max smiled thankfully. She wasn’t upset with him. Maybe, he was wrong. Maybe tonight would be a night of new beginnings for them. He knew what he had to do, and even if she didn’t return the feeling; it was time he put his heart on the line.

She was worth the risk.

TBC…

Last little note...to Jenn (Dreamer 4 ever) I would have posted this part like a half hour ago...but you sent me that picture of Jason, and as you know all thought left my mind except what I wanted to do to the man!! *GOD* He's so f'ing hot!! You always keep me in the loop! Love you girlie!!
Last edited by Behrsgirl77 on Fri Nov 11, 2005 10:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Behrsgirl77
Obsessed Roswellian

Post by Behrsgirl77 »

A/N - I'm finally back with a new part. Thank you all for always being so patient with me. I am feeling better and managed to get this part done yesterday, but was waiting on my beta. She's still not around so I read through it a few times...I hope I didn't miss anything. Forgive me if I did :wink:

Thank you all for your incredible feedback! This story does take me a while to write and I don't want to rush it, but I'm happy to see you all are enjoying it!!

This part is long...so be prepared 8)

Chapter 22

“Happy Birthday, mommy!” Alexis sprinted towards her mother and Max as soon as they reached the dining room entrance.

“Thank you sweetheart,” Liz smiled and picked her daughter up giving her a warm hug.

Liz hadn’t taken a moment to take in her surrounds, if she had then she would have noticed the array of roses scattered throughout the room in crystal vases, as well as the balloons that surrounded each chair and corner of the room.

Max watched Liz look at Alexis. Easily he could tell how happy she was to see her. A part of him wished she appeared that happy to see him half the time. Granted she did always appear to be happy to see him, but how did she feel inside when she saw him? Did her heartbeat begin to race? Did her palms get sweaty? And did she get an incredible urge to kiss him dizzy?

“Max!” Alexis called out for the third time and pulled him into the dining room. He looked down and smiled at her, and finally took a moment to see Liz’s reaction to the color splashed room.

“It’s so beautiful! The colors…there are so many. I love it!” Liz smiled from ear to ear and Alexis jumped up and down excitedly, while Max gave her the biggest smile he could conjure up. He was glad that Liz liked it. Although this wasn’t his surprise he hoped it spoke volumes of what she’d think of his.

Liz bit back the tears in her throat at the sight of the room. It smelt amazing and it was so colorful and bright. So far her birthday was turning out perfectly. She turned to regard Max, who seemed to be lost in his own world, and smiled. Liz wasn’t naïve; she knew this was probably the first birthday he had ever helped plan for a woman. It was a special day for her, but more so for Max.

Her thoughts began to wander back to a few minutes ago in her room and their make out session. Max had said he loved to kiss her, and he was looking at her differently. She swallowed past the lump of fear growing in her heart. He couldn’t love her, not yet. It wasn’t possible. He didn’t know what being in love with a woman was, right?

Liz tried to reason with herself, but the truth was she didn’t know how Max felt about her. However that did not mean she would openly ask him, because she did not want to know the answer. He liked her and that was enough. Anything more, would be too much for her to handle. Liz trusted Max to be honest with her, and maybe that was what she was afraid of the most. Because she knew in her heart that if Max Evans fell in love with her she would not be able to return that love.

“Liz, you want to have a seat?” Max offered her a chair so they could sit and have breakfast and open presents.

“Oh, yes. Sorry. Thank you.” Liz smiled and took her seat. She studied Max carefully as he took a seat across from her. She realized one thing about herself she suddenly didn’t like.

Being right.

After breakfast, they dressed and left the house for the park. It was Alexis’ choice and Max gave her and Liz close to two hours to spend together before he joined them.

“Hey,” Liz greeted him with a smile.

“Hey, having fun?” Max asked as he took a seat beside her on the blanket she had placed on the grass.

“Yeah, we’re doing good. She’s playing on the swings right now. I was wondering what was taking you so long,” she confessed.

“Did you miss me?” Max questioned with a grin.

“Maybe,” she shrugged and tried to act indifferent, but it was written all over her face.

“Hmm, let’s just say I was busy getting this evenings festivities ready.” Max leaned over and kissed her lips softly.

“I missed you.” Liz whispered out so softly he was sure he’d imagined it.

“Good to know,” he smirked and placed his hand in hers. He rested his back against the tree trunk and waited for Liz to settle against him. They both silently watched Alexis play with some other children a few feet away.

“You know I had my first kiss on the playground,” Max confessed softly. Liz quickly jerked her head up to regard him, and smiled. He was adorable when he wanted to be, and sexy as hell when he wasn’t trying to be. What a lethal combination, she thought wickedly.

“Was she any good?” Liz quipped lightly, never removing her eyes from Alexis.

“I’ve had better,” he admitted as he dropped a kiss on the top of her head.

“Nah, I was almost five, it was right before…” he trailed off once he realized what he had almost said.

“Before your parents died?” Liz questioned as she sat up looking at him. He simply nodded.

“Do you remember them? I mean, I know you do, but anything specific?” Liz knew this was a touchy subject she’d never dare broached before, but had wanted to on several occasions.

“I do,” he shrugged, “I remember my mother’s smell. I know it’s weird, but it was this floral perfume she would wear. Everything smelt like it. I remember her holding me and talking to me, I’m not sure what about, but I remember. I remember my father always swinging me in the air and they way he looked at me. I know I was young, almost too young to remember but it’s little things like that. No matter what I’ll never forget how when they looked at me and smiled, how I could tell they loved me. Does that make sense?” he asked in a small voice, a voice Liz had never heard him use before.

“It makes perfect sense,” she said sadly.

“They loved you, how could they not? You were their son, Max. I know that I fell in love with Alexis the day I found out I was pregnant. I was terrified but I loved her without a doubt. And I’m sure as an only child they…what?” Liz asked confusingly when she noted the saddened look that settled on his face.

“I wasn’t the only child, Liz.”

“But you said you had no brothers or sisters or family,” Liz said still not understanding.

“We never got to meet her. My mother only held her once,” he continued with a far off expression.

“Who? Max? Who did you never meet?”

“My sister.” A small gasp passed her lips, as a single tear streamed down his tawny cheek.

“Y-you have…had a sister?” Liz searched his face for more answers.

Max nodded, “I have a sister…a twin sister, that I’ve never even seen,” he confessed in a shaky whisper.

“God, Max. What happened?” Liz sat up and crawled into his lap, framing his face in her small hands.

Max couldn’t meet her in the eyes, so he looked at an undefined point just beyond her shoulder. “She was taken from the hospital the day we were born,” he whispered out painfully.

“I never told anyone, Liz. Not even Michael. I only know because when they died I found a diary of sorts that my mother left. I placed it in my book bag and have carried it with me ever since. I only had the courage to start reading it a year ago. I haven’t finished it yet. It’s hard to read her private thoughts. A part of me thinks it’s wrong, which is why I stop, but I feel the urgent need to know more. I need to know as much as I can. Is that wrong?” His eyes finally locked onto hers and with a sigh of relief he watched as Liz shook her head and kissed his lips.

“It’s not wrong to want to know her, Max. I’m so sorry, baby.” Liz wrapped her arms around him. And as she held his shaking body in her arms, Liz had to wonder why he never told anyone this secret, except her.

“Max,” she began softly and brushed away the stray tears that escaped his eyes. “Why did you tell me?”

“Because I want you to know how special you are to me, Liz. I want you to know how much I trust you and more than anything I want you to know everything about me. The things that I never let anyone know or see about me. I care about you, Liz. A lot. And I want to be honest with you, as much as I can.” Max offered with a crooked smile. He was trying to show her the depth of his feelings, and he just hoped that she wasn’t frightened of them. He had never confessed such feelings a loud to anyone, and for him, Liz was so important to him. He didn’t want to risk losing her over them.

Liz was taken aback by his confession, but she knew that just because she wasn’t in love with Max that didn’t mean she didn’t care about him, because she did a lot. The feelings he invoked within her were overwhelming at times, but wanted nonetheless.

“Max, I care about you too. And I’m so happy that you’ve shared that part of yourself with me. I’m glad that you trust me enough, because I know how hard it must be keeping your private life…private.” Liz offered and brushed her lips across his.

“Oh God!” Max groaned and pulled Liz back.

“What? Did I do something wrong?” Liz asked hurtfully.

“What? No. Liz, you kissing me is never wrong,” Max winked but helped her to her feet regardless.

“Then what’s wrong?” Liz asked still unsure of what Max was doing.

“Liz, we’re out in public. And as much as I’d like to say I’m a big washed up nobody. That is far from the truth. People are dying to write a story about you and me. I don’t want our moments to be captured on film for the world to see, do you understand?” Max reached out and squeezed her hand reassuringly. Realization dawned and Liz smiled squeezing his hand back.

“Come on. We have to go pick out your second present from me.” Max nodded towards Alexis with a gleam in his eye.

“What do you mean, pick out?” Liz questioned as Max practically dragged her towards her daughter.

“Max…”

“Don’t worry, baby. You’re going to love it.” Max winked and kissed the tip of her nose gently.

He hoped she’d love it.

“Max, no! This is too much!” Liz hissed out when they reached the car dealership and Max announced for her to pick one.

“Liz, it’s a present you can’t reject it. It’s like against the rules.”

“Yeah, mommy! The rules!” Alexis joined Max’s bandwagon and crossed her arms exactly as Max had done.

“Max, can I talk to you in private for a moment?” Liz asked trying not to make a scene. She then turned to Alexis and asked her to stand a few feet behind Max, so that she could keep an eye on her.

“Liz, what is the big deal?” Max asked innocently.

“Max, I know damn well that this bracelet,” she pointed to her wrist, “And these earrings, were purchased by you. Max a car is too much. I don’t need one.” Liz tried to reason. A car was amazing, but it was too much.

“You are getting a job, Liz. You will need to get back and forth from it. And what about when you need to pick Alexis up from school when she’s not feeling well? And…”

“Max you have like ten cars in your garage, surely I could borrow one of them.” Liz offered.

“Not necessarily, Liz. Putting aside the fact that they are all manual which you don’t know how to drive. Most of them are sports cars, that really aren’t safe enough for Alexis to be riding in and the others don’t even have a backseat. The Rover is automatic, but I’m thinking of trading that in, and if I do then there won’t be a car for you to drive in case of emergencies. So see, it’s a present for everyone.” Max smiled triumphantly and Liz simply narrowed her eyes in frustration. She wasn’t angry but she didn’t want Max thinking he needed to buy her things either.

“Max…”

“You’re welcome.” Max lifted her in his arms and kissed her quickly.

“Yay!” Alexis overheard her mother and Max’s conversation. While she was standing around she was picking out the color she liked the best.

“And you, you little traitor. You are supposed to protect me.” Liz tickled her daughter’s sides as Max picked her up.

“I was mommy! You need a car.” Alexis nodded her agreement.

Once Liz felt comfortable with the fact that Max was buying her a car, she let loose like a kid in a candy store. And once she settled on the car, she turned to Alexis to decide what color it should be.

“Oh mommy I like red! Oh! And yellow and green and blue and…” Max covered her mouth gently and began to laugh.

“Okay princess, we got it. You like every color.” Alexis nodded happily.

“Liz, you’re going to have to decide.”

“I can’t.” Liz pondered it for another moment when Alexis asked her next question.

“Max, aren’t you going to drive it too?” Max looked down and nodded, “Yes sometimes.”

“Okay. I think mommy should get the yellow one.” Alexis offered with a smile.

“Why yellow?” Max asked.

“Cause you already have a red, blue, green, white, black and silver cars. So why not yellow?” she asked batting her long eyelashes. Liz could do nothing but watch the two of them interact, funny how they slipped into the father, daughter routine so easily, she thought.

“Because I’m a guy.”

“So.”

“So guys don’t drive yellow cars.”

“Why?”

“Because.”

“Because why?”

“Because I don’t like it.”

“Why?”

“Because yellow is more for girls.”

“Is that true mommy?” Alexis finally turned to her mother who was trying to stifle her laughter.

“In some cases yellow is more for girls, but boys can like yellow too.” Alexis smiled happily before turning back to Max.

“See, Max. My mommy said that boys can like yellow too.”

“Yes, but this boy,” Max pointed to himself, “Will never drive a yellow car.”

“Why not?”

“How about we compromise?” Max offered trying to end the discussion that could easily take all night to finish.

“Oh! I know that that is!” Alexis jumped up happily because she understood that word.

“Good. We go with black.” Max smiled triumphantly and called over the dealer. His eyes caught Liz’s and they both bit back their laughter.

Sometimes the adult needed to put their foot down, and in this instance there was no way in hell Max would be caught driving a yellow car.

“Mommy, you look beautiful!” Alexis announced with wide eyes when she walked into her mother’s room later that same day.

“Thank you, sweetheart. Are Maria and Michael here?”

“Yup! They told me to come and get you cause Max is waiting. And Maria said that a man left waiting was not a happy man.” Alexis rattled off Maria’s exact words. Liz however turned and looked at her daughter in question.

“What did you just say?” Alexis shrugged at her mother’s question, “That’s what she said mommy. Oh, that and that you were going to be very…”

“Oh, that’s enough chit chat cutie pie.” Maria entered Liz’s bedroom, just in time it seemed.

“Maria, what are you telling my impressionable five year old daughter?” Liz placed her hands on her hips to regard her friend.

“Nothing. Can I help she has big ears?”

“Hey! I don’t have big ears, you just talk really loud.” Alexis came to stand between her mother and Maria.

All three girls laughed.

“Okay, honey. Would you please go downstairs and tell Max that I’ll be down in a minute and wait there with him?” Liz asked kneeling in front of her daughter.

“Okay, mommy.” Maria and Liz both watched as Alexis left the room.

“I’m so excited for you!” Maria offered with so much enthusiasm that Liz couldn’t help but feel giddy inside.

“I’m excited too, Maria. But I’m nervous,” Liz whispered out as she crossed the room and closed her door.

“Why?” Maria took a seat at the edge of the bed.

“This is like a date.”

“Yes it is Liz. And usually people are happy about that, especially if they like the guy. So what’s the problem?”

“The problem is, what if Max expects something tonight.”

“Well hell girl, it’s your birthday and Max is fine, I see no problem in that department.”

“Maria, you know I can’t just sleep with him. I’m not ready for that.”

“Liz, who said you had to sleep with him?” Maria patted the side of the bed next to her. She knew how Liz felt about sex and knew that Liz wasn’t ready for that, despite the fact that Max was more than ready for it.

“I know he’s ready,” Liz began awkwardly.

“Liz, one thing you need to remember here, Max is a man and men are always ready.” Both girls snickered before Maria motioned for Liz to continue.

“I don’t even know what to do with a guy.”

“Liz, don’t put so much pressure on yourself. Have you and Max done anything?” Maria didn’t want to pry. She was simply trying to offer some advice.

“Yeah, but he did everything,” Liz blushed remembering the night Max had touched her most intimate of places.

“There is nothing wrong with that, he knows that you’re not that experienced.”

“Yes, but I don’t know what he likes and I’ll feel stupid if we end up doing something and I do it wrong.” Liz admitted sadly. She hated that she had little experience with guys.

“First of all, calm down. Secondly, he’ll show you what he likes. Be a sponge Liz.” Maria offered with a quick hug.

“A sponge? That’s all you have to offer me?”

“Yes.”

“I don’t get it.” Liz scrunched her face in confusion.

“Do I have to spell it out?” Liz nodded.

“A sponge does what, Liz?”

“It absorbs things?”

“Right. So make like a sponge and absorb everything Max teaches you.” Maria winked as she turned and exited the room.

“Be a sponge.” She repeated to herself, while smoothing out her dress one last time. Liz breathed out a shaky breath and decided it was now or never.

She was secretly trying to weaken his defenses. She was trying to get him to give in and tell her everything he felt, or at least that’s what Max felt the moment he saw her this evening.

“Liz, are you okay?” Max asked one last time before the jet off.

“I’m fine. You still haven’t told me where we’re going.” Liz elbowed him gently. She could tell he was nervous, which was a rare occasion for Max.

“It’s surprise, but don’t worry it only takes about an hour to get to and we will be back late tonight. I promise.”

“I trust you.” Liz smiled and turned her attention outside the window of the small plane. She was surprised when Max had explained that they were going to fly to their destination. It was an odd thing for her because most of the time she forgot exactly who Max was and how much he was worth. Most girls would kill to be in her position and she knew it. More importantly, she was thankful for him.

Max went back to thinking of all the things Liz had done tonight to drive him crazy. Her perfume was intoxicating. It was seductive and innocent at the same time. Her hair was upswept and she had placed a white rose in it. White, that was her favorite color rose, now he knew. Her eyes shinned brightly with excitement and the champagne colored dress she wore fit her like a glove. His pulse quickened. No woman had ever driven him that crazy with want. Never. He wasn’t going to make it; it was going to be over before it started.

“Liz,” he whispered out softly.

“Yeah,” she turned to regard him.

“I…” he swallowed thickly. It was suddenly scorching in the cabin.

“Are you thirsty?” he asked saving himself from total embarrassment.

“No, I’m good.” Liz smiled and placed her hand on his thigh. Didn’t she know how much he wanted to tell her that he loved her? That he wanted to make love to her and that he…wait…he wanted to make love to her? He didn’t know how to do that. It was getting worse as the minutes ticked by. He couldn’t make love to Liz, even if she was ready, which he knew she wasn’t. He’d only ever had sex with women. Satisfying, self-centered casual sex. Love, was another story. How did a man make love to a woman, he wondered. Obviously the act was the same, but different all in one.

He groaned in frustration.

“Max, I just want to tell you now in case I forget later.” Liz turned slightly in her seat.

“What?” he asked breaking from his brooding moment.

“This has been one of the best days of my life,” Liz smiled brightly and pulled Max down for a kiss. She slid her tongue along his bottom lip and moaned softly as he opened up for her. She didn’t know what came over her at that moment, but she wanted to do so much more than kiss him.

Max dragged his lips greedily over hers; she tasted so sweet and felt so warm. He placed a hand behind her neck and brought her lips closer, dipping his tongue deeply inside her mouth. “God, Liz. I could kiss you forever,” he moaned out when she sucked in his bottom lip into her mouth and drove her tongue into his mouth roughly. Liz wanted to drive him crazy, she didn’t know why, but something about what Maria had said to her finally came to light.

She wanted to be a sponge. She wanted Max to show her how to please him the way he pleased her. For once in her life, she wanted to just let go and do what she wanted. No pressure, no false pretenses, just do what felt right.

Liz ran her hands up his hard chest. She could feel his muscles contract beneath her fingertips. She wanted his shirt off. She began pulling at it and could tell when he got the hint. But then he stopped.

“Liz, what are you doing?” Max panted out breathlessly.

“I think you have an idea of what I was doing,” Liz smirked and leaned in to kiss him once again. Max groaned and covered her soft lips roughly before pulling away.

“We can’t do this here, we’re almost there.” It took all the willpower he possessed to stop her a moment ago, but they would be landing soon. More importantly he wanted to make sure this was what Liz wanted to do.

“Okay,” Liz settled back into her seat and adjusted her dress. Maybe he thought she was throwing herself at him, or she was being easy. She scoffed lightly before brushing her hair away from her face.

“Liz, it’s not that I didn’t want that, because I did. I just didn’t think you wanted anyone walking in on us,” Max offered kissing her cheek gently.

“Right.” Liz blushed in embarrassment. Max was right, no matter how much they wanted to continue they wouldn’t risk getting caught.

“Now just sit back, relax and get ready to celebrate your birthday with me.” Max smiled and lifted her hand gently to his lips, pressing a kiss on the back of her hand.

“Max, it’s beautiful.”

“You like?”

“What’s not to like?” Liz leaned over the railing of the Max’s yacht.

“She doesn’t have a name yet. I bought her about six months ago.” Max reached for Liz’s hand to lead her to the other side of the yacht for dinner.

“Is it your first one?” Liz asked as she followed behind Max into the main cabin.

“Yes, it is. And I thought we could take a cruise around the marina while we eat dinner.” Max pulled her into his arms and held her tightly.

“I think that’s a perfect idea, Max.” Liz reared back and smiled happily at him. Liz knew that he’d never done anything like this before for anyone, she knew because he told her.

They shared a candlelit dinner and afterwards Max asked Liz to follow him below deck for a minute.

“What’s going on, Max?” Liz asked hesitantly when they entered the cabin below. Max had his back turned to her, but a smile that lit up his entire face was present.

“Have a seat, Liz.” He needed to keep her occupied for a while longer while things were set up in the upper deck.

Max turned and crossed the room to stand in front of her. Liz noticed the neatly wrapped box he carried in his hands. She nibbled on her bottom lip and let out a soft laugh when he kneeled down in front of her.

“Happy Birthday, Liz.” Max handed her the box and kissed her lips gently before leaning back awaiting her surprised look.

Liz tore at the wrapping like a child on Christmas. Even though she knew Max paid for Alexis’ presents to her, and purchased a car for her, this gift was different. More intimate, maybe because they were alone, she thought.

She opened the box slowly, and the instant her eyes locked on its contents, tears sprang to her eyes. Alexis must have told him, she smiled.

“Max, it’s more beautiful than it looked. Thank you.” Liz smiled and kissed him hard.

“Your welcome, but this really isn’t your present.”

“What? Max you’ve already gotten me too much. I don’t need anything else. I don’t need you to…” Max silenced her with a kiss and reached his hand out for her to take. She did wordlessly and followed him back outside.

“Close your eyes,” he requested as he removed the box from her hands, and placed its contents around her neck.

“It is beautiful, Liz,” he began, “But it doesn’t compare to you.” He kissed her temple before leading her further outside.

Max wrapped his arms around her waist and smiled before asking her to open her eyes.

“Max…it’s…oh my God! I can’t believe it!” Liz’s eyes widened in delightful surprise, and then she began to cry. Heavy and deep sobs.

“Liz, God! I’m sorry. I didn’t want you to cry. I’m sorry,” Max began to apologize and curse himself for not thinking. He honestly thought she would like his surprise. Maybe he was thinking like a teenager, which he was far from.

“No, Max.” Liz shook her head profusely. No one had ever done such a special thing for her. She turned into his arms and kissed him deeply, squeezing his body against hers. Trying to convey the sheer happiness she felt. The entire upper deck was decorated in lights and candles, and a sign that read, ‘Liz Parker will you go to the prom with me?’

“It’s my prom, Max! I never went to my prom and…I wish I did, with you.” Liz admitted reaching her hand out to Max.

“May I have this dance,” she asked and Max froze.

“Isn’t that supposed to be my line?” he grinned.

“Yes, but it’s my prom night. So I get the final say,” Liz jumped into his arms and placed kisses all over his face.

“You didn’t answer the question,” Max nodded towards the sign hanging above them.

“That’s right, I didn’t.” Liz turned away and found the remote Max must have had laid out to cue the music.

“Max Evans, take me to the prom.” Liz smiled brightly as the first strings of music floated through the air.

Max pulled her against him and kissed her softly as they began to sway to the music. He knew that she would recognize the song immediately and was rewarded with a beautiful bright smile.

When you love someone - you'll do anything
You'll do all the crazy things that you can't explain
You'll shoot the moon - put out the sun
When you love someone

“Listen up, Parker and listen good. This is the last time I want you to listen to this song. I’m giving it to you and then I’m taking it away…hopefully forever,” he whispered out against her temple as they danced.

You'll deny the truth - believe a lie
There'll be times that you'll believe you can really fly
But your lonely nights - have just begun
When you love someone

When you love someone - you'll feel it deep inside
And nothing else can ever change your mind
When you want someone - when you need someone
When you love someone...

He felt it in that moment, the time was finally right. Max pulled away slightly and saw the utter happiness shining in her eyes, and couldn’t help but smile. He was the luckiest man in the world. In that moment, he truly believed he had found the person he had been looking for all his life. Someone that accepted him for who he was, who didn’t judge him and who could give themselves to him in a way he had yet to discover.

When you love someone - you'll sacrifice
You'd give it everything you got and you won't think twice
You'd risk it all - no matter what may come
When you love someone

“Liz,” he waited until her eyes met his.

“I love you, Liz.” He didn’t wait for her response. Instead he pulled her against him and sealed their lips in a kiss. A kiss filled with all the promise for the future he hoped to fulfill with her, and only her.

TBC…

Song: When You Love Someone by Bryan Adams
Last edited by Behrsgirl77 on Fri Nov 25, 2005 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Behrsgirl77
Obsessed Roswellian

Post by Behrsgirl77 »

A/N - Okay guys...this is a transition part so I'll warn you now...but when you get to the end hopefully you'll see where I'm taking it, if not you can wait for the next part *lol*

Thank you all for your incredible feedback!! I know I say it all the damn time, but it truly is what keeps this going because it just seems to grow longer and longer the more I write. It's like the challenge that never ends *lol*

Okay enough of that...hope you enjoy!!!

Chapter 23

Was it a dream?

Liz had been asking herself that question since they had boarded Max’s jet. It had to be, because no one could be any luckier than she was. Max had gone out of his way to make everything about today perfect and yet she still felt guilty.

As the day progressed the guilt continued to settle in her heart. She knew that Max felt strongly for her, otherwise she knew he would not have shared the secret of his sister with her. And that is where the weight of the guilt began to build and progress into the monster it had become over the past few hours.

He was honest, more honest than any man she had ever encountered. And what was she doing? Hiding. Using her own insecurities about men and her one past experience against herself and him. More importantly, she was not sharing the reason for her apprehension in moving forward in a more complete relationship with Max.

Damn her heart, she repeated silently as he pulled her closer and the song began to float in the air around them. It was her song, the song she had listened to and had helped her hold onto the belief that the kind of love described in the song existed. For so long she believed that that kind of love only existed in books or movies, but as she swayed gently pressed up against his warm body, she truly believed that it may be possible. If only she could get her mind to shut down for a few hours, she could believe it. But what would happen when she woke up? Would it still be the same? Would Max still care about her? Or would it be one of those memorable moments in life that people reminisced about until they’re old and gray? Of what could have been, if only.

She looked up and stared into his practically glowing brown eyes when he had told her that he was giving her the song, and taking it away forever. Her heart began to beat wildly in her chest. And she knew the moment was drawing closer and it wouldn’t be long until Max admitted what he thought were his true feelings.

It wasn’t that she wouldn’t believe him, but she had to wonder if he truly understood the meaning of his words? Was it a passing feeling? Or was it unequivocally a feeling that would last both their lifetimes? It was the first time she had admitted one of her main fears to herself. Would Max want her forever, or did he just believe at this moment that he did? How could she tell? How could he?

“Liz.” She heard him whisper and her body grew tighter, this was the moment. She cried inside because she wanted to believe it. She wanted to live and breathe this moment for the perfection it should have been. But she couldn’t.

“I love you, Liz.” Their eyes locked and his lips descended upon hers. She threw her all into the kiss, knowing that when they parted she would destroy the light in his eyes from just a moment ago. She could not reciprocate the sentiment. No matter how much she knew deep down if she let herself believe and feel all that Max could mean to her, she would fall to her knees. Weakened by depth of the feelings that she felt for him.

No one had done anything in her entire life to make her feel as special as Max had tonight. Liz knew that Max had feelings for her, but from where did they stem from? That was the question plaguing her mind and the question that was the basis for her hesitance in returning any deep feelings for him.

Now all she had to do was try and voice them aloud without destroying him completely. Liz knew more than anything that if he did truly care for her for the right reasons, then she would be defenseless to stop the onslaught of emotions from taking over. And she would allow herself to love him with every fiber of her being. As hard as the reality of the situation was for her to swallow, she knew that she could love Max for an eternity.

Problem was, could he?

Their kiss ended and he rested his forehead against hers, eyes still closed and hearts still beating rapidly. They both never wanted it to end, but it did. And now all that lingered in the space between them was happiness and confusion.

“Liz,” he said as he gently tilted her chin and peered into her deep brown eyes. He had wished he’d had the hindsight to foresee the expression that now resonated on her beautiful face. She didn’t believe him. His heart fell.

“You don’t believe me?” he asked trying to mask the pain and hurt he felt. His voice betrayed him nevertheless. Had he not proven his love? What did he need to do to make her understand how much he cared and loved her?

He supposed he wasn’t all that surprised. He knew, after all that Liz would not return the feelings tonight. But somewhere deep down he truly believed that on some level she loved him back, but was just scared. Was he that wrong? Was he reading into his own feelings more than she was hers? Or was it simply that she couldn’t love someone like him? Again, he had to take into consideration his less than stellar track record with women. Liz didn’t hold it against him, but what if she had decided that he didn’t know what being in love entailed? Maybe that was it? He could, of course, go on all night guessing her feelings. He knew however, it would leave him in the exact same place he was in at that moment.

“I believe that you think you love me,” she whispered out hoarsely. Her voice did nothing to hide the emotions she felt from Max’s saddened expression over her response.

Max didn’t fight her, like she expected. In fact, he simply nodded and told her they should be on their way.

She knew she broke his heart and in the process, she felt that her own had broken right along with it.

The entire flight home was filled with a deafening silence. Liz wanted to cry for hurting him, for putting the look of total heartbreak on his face. But she couldn’t lie. She didn’t want to tell him something he wanted to hear just for the sake of saying it. No matter how much she realized that when she saw the fallen expression on his face, that she truly did love him. She loved him with her entire heart and soul. The realization didn’t lift the fear, in fact it settled even more firmly in her heart.

She had been denying her feelings up until the moment Max expressed his own and they kissed. Her mind wandered in those few short minutes and when they broke apart and he questioned her, she knew she loved him. Had loved him all along. One look into his sad eyes made her fall even further in love with him.

She didn’t understand it, and she wished she could voice it aloud for him to hear. She would not allow herself to though. Not until she knew that his love was pure and only for her.

Liz knew that Max would not play games with her and he would never lie to her, there would be no reason for him to, but what if he just didn’t understand his feelings for her? What if he was simply assuming that he was in love with her because of the situation they were in?

Max on the other hand was trying to figure out how a night that was going so perfectly ended up the way it did. What had he been thinking? He guessed that was the problem, he wasn’t thinking. Normally he always used his head. That was after all how he had become so successful. He never jumped into any deal, or contract. Yet, with Liz he jumped in heart first. What was it about her that made him go insane with want and need? Why her and never any other? There were several women in his life throughout the years, why not one of them?

He turned in his seat to regard her, wondering what was going on in her head. Did she really not love him back? That was the one thing that hurt him the most. The fact that she didn’t express how she felt, only that she believed that he thought he loved her.

What the hell did that mean? She didn’t believe he truly loved her, or that she didn’t believe he could love her? He knew she had been hurt before, badly, but surely that didn’t mean she thought she was unlovable? Was that it? Was that why she was holding back? He wanted to scream in frustration, he wished she would give him some clue as to what she was feeling.

“Liz, when we get back to the house there’s one last thing I have for you there.” Max offered softly waiting until she looked him in the eye.

“Max, you’ve done so much already and…” she trailed off feeling sick. Here he was opening himself up to her so completely and making her birthday so special. She should just tell him how she felt. Get it over with. Take a flying leap of faith that she wouldn’t get hurt.

But she couldn’t.

“I want to, besides your birthday isn’t over for another,” he glanced down at his watch and then back at her, “Two hours.” He smiled despite the ache in his heart.

“Thank you, Max.” Liz smiled and suddenly realized that sooner or later she would have to express her feelings to Max. Because if it was true, if he really did love her, then waiting too long may serve to work against her in the worst way.

Later that night when they arrived home, Liz and Max quickly went in and checked on Alexis. Michael and Maria had advised them that she had fallen asleep about two hours ago and Liz seriously considered waking her up. However, knowing how cranky her daughter would be if she were to be woken up without getting enough sleep, thought better of it.

After changing into her pajamas she left her room and padded down the hall to Max’s room. She stood outside the door and took a deep breath before knocking gently.

“Come in,” came his reply.

“Hi.” Liz offered in a crooked smile before closing the door behind her.

Max couldn’t help but smile at her. She was simply perfection. That was the only word he could use to describe her. The fact that she was so shy and timid around him, made him fall in love with her more everyday he spent with her.

He wasn’t used to that because all of the girls he had been with were confident, but they didn’t know what the hell they wanted. Liz, however, did. She wanted to be happy, and she wanted to feel safe. And more than anything, she never wanted to have her heart broken. She wanted to trust, but had been let down so many times that she wasn’t sure how to let go.

How he knew those things was beyond him, but he knew they were true. He had spent long hours watching her, when she thought he wasn’t looking and those were all things that rang true of Liz. He loved that about her. He loved that no matter what, she made him feel safe. She made him feel like he was just a normal guy. Which in fact, he was, but the majority of the world didn’t treat him that way.

He had to laugh to himself over the fact that she would make him wash dishes after she would cook. Something he would have never done, but because she asked, he did without question. In fact, he reveled in those moments when it was just him and her. Yes, he loved Alexis without question and would die for in an instant. But Liz…she was his air. She was his heart and his soul. She was the one person in the world he trusted above all others and so easily. He didn’t have to question her motives, she was there and she cared about him because she wanted to, not because she had to. Most of his professional life, people wanted to be around him because of the sport he played. They never wanted to know who Max Evans the man was. Only Max Evans the ball player. It hurt, he wouldn’t admit it to himself then, but now he could. And reason for that was the petite brunette that had just entered his bedroom.

“Come here,” he reached out his hand for her to take and then led them out to his balcony.

“Max,” she gasped out and couldn’t help the tears that sprung to her eyes the instant she saw the birthday cake lit with candles and waiting for her outside.

“What is a birthday without a cake?” Max smiled and kissed her cheek gently then walked around the table he had set up for her.

Liz was about to say something, but instead she placed a hand over her heart and closed her eyes. Once she opened them back up she found him staring directly at her. For the first time she was able to place a word with the expression he had on his face. It was love.

“Blow out your candles, Liz.” Max gestured towards the cake and the candles that were burning quickly.

“Right,” she nodded and leaned over to blow them out.

“Don’t forget to make a wish,” he whispered out watching her intently. Liz threw him a quick smile before making her wish and blowing out her candles.

“Was it a good wish?” he asked after they’d finished a shared piece of cake.

“I’ll let you know how it turns out,” Liz offered with a smile and pulled him against her. Wrapping her arms around his waist and kissing him goodnight. Their kiss grew deep and Max found himself running his hands through her silky hair. Loving every swipe of her tongue against his. He would never grow tired of kissing her, of touching her of seeing her. He knew that in his heart.

They pulled away and shared one last chastised kiss before she slipped out of his room.

Liz tossed and turned for nearly an hour before she found herself outside of Max’s bedroom door once again.

Why had she come? Yes, they had gotten used to sleeping together more often than not, but tonight was different. She had shut him out and she shouldn’t have been seeking his comforting embrace, but she was.

She said a silent prayer as she opened his door slowly and peeked her head inside. The room was illuminated by the moonlight that shown through the sliding doors across the room. Even in sleep, he was truly beautiful.

Liz quickly padded across the room and slipped under the covers with him. He didn’t move and his breathing was even. She knew he was asleep and so she cuddled closer to his warm body and rested her head against his pillow. She thought that by coming here she would be able to fall asleep, but instead she found her mind wasn’t ready to rest.

In fact, she had wanted to lay next to Max and watch him sleep and hoped that she would get some sign on whether or not she was right about him. Tonight she had finally gotten to the heart of the matter, the question that burned deep inside and ached to be answered.

Would Max Evans have even looked twice if she didn’t have Alexis?

That was it. She wasn’t jealous and she wasn’t hurt, but that was the reason why she had guarded her heart so protectively. Her greatest fear above all else was that Max loved her for the wrong reasons. When she had told him that she believed that he thought he loved her, she meant it. But to her if he’d never been in love with a woman before, how did he know for sure what he was feeling did not derive from the situation they were currently in?

If Alexis wasn’t in the picture, she shuddered at the thought, because no matter what she would never erase anything from her past or present if it meant she wouldn’t have her daughter, but if she weren’t, would he be in love with her? Just her. No attachments, no circumstances? Liz had a hard time believing it.

“Why do you love me, Max?” she whispered out and placed a kiss on his temple. She voiced the question aloud that she could not to him while he was awake.

“Is it because of Alexis?” she murmured out softly and closed her eyes. Had she not, she would have seen the expression on Max’s face at that moment.

God! Is that what she thought, he questioned silently. He had heard her enter his room and he wanted to speak to her, but decided there wasn’t anything to say. He didn’t know how she felt, and he didn’t want to push her. Now though, she had just voiced what he had concluded was the reason for her apprehension. She thought he only loved her because of her daughter.

How is it possible for someone to be so smart, yet come up with such a ridiculous conclusion? He wanted to tell her that he didn’t love her just because of her daughter. He wanted to make her understand that he loved her for who she was. He wanted to tell her how special she was to him. With or without Alexis, he loved her. Although, he knew that without Alexis’ circumstances, they may have never met. All of that aside, that was not the reason why he loved her, and he was about to express it, but was stopped by her rambling.

“I wish I knew for sure. I wish I could give you my heart…because I want to,” she said as she turned to her side to face him. Max had closed his eyes and decided that she wouldn’t believe him if he told her. How could she? And what was he thinking? He had never been in a loving and committed relationship with a woman before. He had unattached sex with them. How did he expect Liz to believe that he loved her, when he himself had never loved anyone the way he loved her before?

Still, he needed to say something, but what? He waited until she settled against him further and rested her head on his chest.

“Liz,” he began softly, just above a whisper and stopped himself. He hadn’t a clue as to what to say to her to get her to realize how much he loved and wanted to be with her. Only her. And so he resigned himself to simply feeling her soft warm body against his, as she slept. All he needed her to have was just a little faith in him and he knew he could make her see and feel the depth of his love.

Liz tensed when she heard her name escape passed his lips. Was he awake? Had he heard her? She panicked and looked at him, he had still seemed to be asleep. Was he dreaming of her? He must have been she deduced as a bright smile lit up her face.

Maybe she was being too cautious. Maybe if she could learn to put a little more faith in Max and herself as well they could experience the kind of love only some people are blessed to share.

TBC…

EDITED: Gah I suck! How dare I forget all the help that Kara provided to me a few days ago on this! If I didn't have my reunion last night maybe I would have remembered the first time I posted *sigh* Love you Kara!
Last edited by Behrsgirl77 on Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Behrsgirl77
Obsessed Roswellian

Post by Behrsgirl77 »

A/N - Hey guys...I wanted to say that I was a little shocked that I was even nominated this round...especially for this...
<center>

Favorite Portrayal of a Child for Alexis Rae Parker</center>

You don't know how excited I was to see it! Seriously, it means so much to me that those of you who nominated thought of me...and little Alexis. She's my little prodigy *lol*

Thank you guys!!

Oh...before I forget...expect and update tomorrow. The beta and I are working on it as I type!

Now go vote :wink:

*hugs*

Tanya
Behrsgirl77
Obsessed Roswellian

Post by Behrsgirl77 »

A/N - Hey guys...just like I promised. I'm back with an update! It's a long one...and has not been reviewed by the beta. So once again forgive for any errors. I did read through it more times than I wanted to *lol* However, I have to thank Kara for her help on this part last night...she helps me see the error of my ways and gets me on track *muah*

Thank you all so much for your feedback...and well because little Alexis is nominated...she makes her appearance once again in here :D

Hope you enjoy!!

P.S. For those of you reading When Your Heart Wants More, that will be updated on Wednesday!

Chapter 24

He wondered why she stayed last night. He knew she was insecure, but when he’d overheard Liz last night, he was sure that she would runaway. He had laid in bed this morning thinking about what she had said and he had to wonder if Liz would ever believe him. As he watched her sleep he wondered how anyone as beautiful and as perfect as she was could ever love him. He was in no way giving up the fight by any means, he just wondered if he should have as much insecurity as she seemed to have.

Max moved around the room silently as he stepped out of the bathroom and into his closet. He had just taken his shower and now he needed to get ready for the long day ahead of him. He had so much on his mind and needed to get it clear for practice this afternoon.

He ruffled through his closet and found a pair of jeans and quickly slipped them on, tossing the towel that was around his waist, onto his shoulder to find a shirt. It never took him that long to get dressed, but he supposed if he didn’t have so much on his mind he would have been done ten minutes ago.

Max wasn’t naïve and knew that it would take something profound. A moment of stark clarity for her to realize that the love he had for her was unique and special. And so he put himself in her shoes. She had thought she was in love with a guy; he used her, and left her pregnant and alone. Hell if it were him, and he had created a child with a girl he’d slept with, and she took off, Max knew it would have been a difficult adjustment. Knowing what his schedule used to look like, there was no way he’d be able to fit in raising a child perfectly, but he would have done it in a heartbeat. Therefore, he understood her hesitance, but he didn’t understand her reasoning for not truly believing him.

If what he had overheard was her complete thought, which he doubted, then he knew that he needed to focus on making Liz understand how he felt about her and just her. Alexis was a huge part of why they met, but that wasn’t the reason why he fell in love with Liz. Now he just had to figure out how to make Liz understand that.

How did she not know? His mind screamed with that question repeatedly. Had he not showed her already? After all why would he even bother to make things special for her, and kiss her and want to do things with her that he’d never done with anyone else?

Max knew Liz was the one for him, but what if she didn’t feel that way about him, he wondered. Slowly he turned from his closet to watch her sleeping form and knew right then and there, it didn’t matter. For once, he was going to be himself and whatever became of it he would live with.

The only problem now was that Max needed to figure out how to prove his love to Liz without using materialistic things. He could buy her everything, but he learned long ago, money couldn’t buy love. And then it hit him, he knew exactly how he would show her and while he was at it, he was going to make her fall in love with him. That was if she wasn’t already.

Max was betting on the fact that Liz did love him, deep down but she was just afraid of taking that final step with him. He knew she was afraid that he may change his mind about her, but he was ready to prove her wrong once and for all.

Liz’s eyes fluttered open and she took in her surroundings. Last night came crashing down on her. After they shared her birthday cake she practically ran to her room, only to end up back in Max’s bed. She groaned inwardly, she was hoping to wake up before him, but once she heard him moving around the room, she knew it was too late.

There was no way to escape the awkwardness that was sure to follow once she made it known that she was awake.

“Max,” she called out softly as she watched him from the center of his bed. From her position she could see perfectly into his walk in closet. Her heart began to race as she took in his half naked body. He was wearing a pair of jeans that were slung low on his hips and a towel thrown over one shoulder. Liz wondered if he knew how sexy he was without trying.

“Hey, morning.” Max smiled as he spun around to face her.

“Morning,” Liz swallowed thickly. She felt completely out of place and wondered if maybe Max even wanted her in his room. Liz pulled the covers off her body and scooted to the edge of his bed. She wrung her hands together before she drummed up the courage to apologize for last night.

“Max, I know you’re probably wondering what I’m doing here and I wanted to…” she began to apologize but Max cut her off quickly with a deep soothing voice.

“It’s okay, Liz. You don’t have to give me an explanation for wanting to fall asleep next to me,” Max threw her a smile over his shoulder. He hoped it would ease her nerves. He saw her visibly relax and he turned back to his task of finding a shirt to wear.

What the hell was taking so long, he muttered to himself. It was a t-shirt, no big deal. He swallowed thickly. It was a big deal because once he found one he would have to join Liz in the room that much sooner. He wasn’t sure if he was ready for it. What if she told him she could never love him? No, he shook his head and took a deep breath. He would not give up, no matter what.

“You getting ready to leave?” She was glad that Max didn’t seem upset with her. He had every right to be, of course. He had told her he loved her and she avoided the subject like the plague. Hell he must hate her, she thought wildly.

“Yes, I have to meet coach at his house and then we’re headed to the field right after. I shouldn’t be back too late,” he answered as he made his way over to her side when he still couldn’t find a shirt to wear. Max took in her appearance more closely as he sat down. Her cheeks were puffy and her eyes still looked heavy from sleep, and her long brown hair was a little messy, he shook his head and laughed to himself. She was breathtaking and he suspected that she would always appear that way to him.

“Okay, did you want me to make dinner? Or should Alexis and I eat without you?” Liz rubbed her hands over her exposed thighs and realized that she was very underdressed. Why had she not realized that she only wore one of Max’s t-shirts to bed the night before? She didn’t ponder that thought for long when Max’s hand met hers and their eyes locked. Max smiled, she did look amazing and he couldn’t help but reach out and feel her beneath his fingertips.

“I think we should eat dinner tonight. I enjoy eating your home cooked food. Of course I think I might have to start working out more because I always seem to overeat when you cook,” Max joked and it earned him an elbow in the side.

“Hey, I’m paying you a compliment and you hit me? There’s something wrong with that Parker.” Max turned and without preamble pulled her into his lap.

“Max! Stop!” Liz squirmed on his lap. He was tickling her mercifully.

“No, I don’t think I feel like it,” Max whispered in her ear and stilled his movements. Liz turned her head and before she knew it, Max’s lips covered hers.

He wrapped his arms around her waist and pulled her closer to him, “I don’t think I’ll ever get tired of kissing you.” Max smiled into her mouth before giving her a soft kiss and lifting her off of his lap.

Liz was speechless. He was being so sweet and leisure with her this morning and his words were always what she needed to hear. So why couldn’t she say something back?

Probably because she thought Max was acting differently this morning and she had to wonder if maybe he had heard her. So what if he did, a small voice in the back of her mind asked. Maybe if he did then she would be able to get a better idea of Max’s true feelings.

“Now beautiful, I have to finish getting ready. I’ll wake up Alexis if you want and give her breakfast before I leave.” Max said as he stood and walked over to his dresser to find a shirt.

“Thank you. I wanted to take a shower anyway.” Liz rose to her feet and came to stand behind Max; she tentatively ran her finger along the scar on his back.

“It’s healing nicely,” she whispered out. The air around them was filled with awkwardness, but she couldn’t stop herself at that moment.

Max’s entire body tensed when she touched him, it was one of the only times she had reached out to him. Initiated any kind of intimate contact. Liz didn’t reach out and pull him into a hug. She didn’t wrap her arms around his waist just because she wanted to. She wasn’t carefree with her movements. Max knew she always thought so much before she did anything, and that was something he was going to have to work on with her. He was grateful however that she did initiate kissing him.

“Yeah, I’m happy about that.” Max cleared his throat before he answered. He hadn’t realized how tired he was and it seemed that his voice was a dead give away of that. He hoped she didn’t notice. The last thing she needed to do was worry about him with everything else that was probably on her mind.

“Do you feel like you’re one hundred percent, yet?” Liz asked as she moved around him slowly. She was terrified and she wished she could get her heart to stop thumping in her throat. But it was time and she knew it, to show Max something in return. She may have not been in relationship before, but she knew that eventually she would need to reciprocate some feelings onto him. Deep down she wanted to believe him after all, she wanted Max to love her they way she loved him.

“I feel great actually. The physical therapy has helped, but I’ve been doing a lot on my own too, you know?” Max wasn’t sure what he was talking about anymore, because Liz had managed to wedge herself between him and his dresser. She was driving him insane and in a few short minutes he would not be able to control himself.

“Liz, what are you doing?” he asked hesitantly when he felt her wrap her arms around his waist and rest her head against his chest. Without hesitation he wrapped his arms around her neck and held her close.

“Nothing, I just wanted to give you a hug,” Liz smiled into his chest and breathed in his fresh scent.

“Thank you for yesterday, Max. I know I already told you, but I wanted you to know that no one has ever made me feel as special as you did.” Liz reared her head back a little to regard him and smiled at the expression on his face.

“I already told you, you don’t have to thank me. I wouldn’t do it if I didn’t want to.” Max placed a kiss on her temple and reveled in the feel of her soft body pressed against his. He never felt happier then when he was in her arms.

“Why?” Liz whispered out, her voice thick with emotion. She wanted to kick herself for letting the question slip. Yes, she wanted to know but maybe after the way yesterday ended on the yacht it was best she didn’t bother him with more questions about how he felt.

“Why what?” he asked. He seemed interested and willing so she elaborated as best as she could.

“Why me? I mean, how come you never did that for anyone else?” Liz was having a hard time explaining what she meant by her question. She had often wondered why Max showered her with his kindness, when she was sure he had other opportunities to do so. What made her so special?

“That’s easy, Liz. You didn’t care who I was. You don’t hold it against me, because regardless of everything that I’ve ever done in my life, you don’t care about that. You don’t judge me because of it. You took the time to get to know me, Max Evans, orphan turned pro football player, turned assistant coach. More importantly you make me want to be myself. I think I forgot how to be myself until I met you and Alexis.” Max knew she needed to hear all of this. It was after all the main reason why he loved her so much.

Liz listened intently, but couldn’t help the butterflies that fluttered in her stomach. She gripped him a little tighter and listened as he continued to explain himself.

“I didn’t really date, as you know, but I did go out on dates. I realized pretty quickly that those girls didn’t care what the hell I liked or disliked, they wanted one…well actually two things from me. And that was okay for a while, but to be honest I was tired of it Liz. I put on a show for the people. I let them see the Max Evans they wanted. And a few times I thought maybe this girl or that girl would be the one I was looking for. The one I wanted to settle down with, but then they showed me their true selves and I realized that if I pretended to be someone else why couldn’t they?” A small laugh bubbled forth, he felt a little ashamed of himself, but he knew Liz wouldn’t. He didn’t even have to look at her to know it either.

“Soon enough everyone else started to believe that’s who I was. I was my own worst enemy. How was I expecting to find someone to love me for me, if I never let anyone see me?” Max swallowed thickly and pulled away to stare into her eyes. Once again to his never-ending gratitude he didn’t see pity in her eyes he saw understanding.

“Then I met Alexis, and she just blew me away. Alexis would tell me all about you and I found myself falling for you before I even met you. I thought, whoever this great mother of hers was, had to be so special. Then, I come to find out that it was you, the same woman I saw in the hall that day and I couldn’t have been happier.” They shared a bright smile.

“What made you pick me?” Liz asked softly, her voice clogged with tears she was trying to hold back.

“Pick you?” Max shook his head and offered her a crooked smile.

“No, Liz. You and Alexis picked me. Never forget that.” Max kissed the tip of her nose and extracted himself from her embrace. As much as he wanted her to hold him forever, he knew that his work was done. That would give Liz something to think about, he thought.

“Call me, if you need me. I’ll have my cell on all day.” Max said as he removed a shirt from his bottom drawer and pulled it over his head.

“Oh and Liz?” he called out as he reached his bedroom door. She was still rooted in her spot in front of his dresser.

“Yeah?” she asked in somewhat of a daze.

“One look at you just blew me away. And just remember this, if you weren’t Alexis’ mother, I would have still found out who you were before I ever left that hospital.” Max winked at her before closing the door behind him.

He exited his bedroom soon thereafter and smiled to himself. He had successfully rendered Liz speechless. His mission was well on its way of getting accomplished.

He had heard her! She turned bright red the second he closed the door. She covered her face with her hands and threw herself on top of his bed and groaned. This wasn’t good. It couldn’t be, could it?

After her shower, Liz was still trying to determine if Max knowing her thoughts was beneficial to their relationship. Would he simply just try and prove her wrong for the hell of it? She didn’t know what to think and honestly she was so tired of thinking. Today, she would focus on spending time with her daughter. Especially since she hadn’t been contacted about her job interview and Alexis was starting school in two days.

“Mommy!” Alexis jumped into her mother’s arms as soon as she entered the living room. Max had left a few minutes before and she was waiting to see her.

“Morning baby, how are you feeling today?” Liz asked resting her daughter on her hip.

“I feel good. Max gave me breakfast, mommy.” Alexis smiled as she pushed her curls away from her face.

“Do you need a haircut sweetie?” Liz asked when she noticed her daughter scrunch up her face in disgust. Her curls were unruly, she definitely got those from her father, Liz thought sadly. But her daughter was perfect, and her curly hair simply defined her and so she would never wish them away.

“No mommy! I want long hair like you,” she said as she kissed her mother’s cheek and slipped down her mother’s body. She wanted to go out today and see Maria.

“Okay, maybe we can stop at the store and get some new things for your hair for school? Would you like that?” Liz asked scanning the refrigerator for something to eat. She shook her head. They needed to go grocery shopping desperately.

How could she cook Max dinner with barely anything in the house? She shook her head and laughed at what she knew would be Max’s answer to that. Liz knew he would say, “Liz, we can just have someone else go shopping for us.” It was his response to everything, but she was quickly changing his mind set. After all she was able to get him to sit down and eat meals that she made, instead of having the cook do it for them or going out to eat. She wanted her daughter to have normalcy in her life, as much as possible, and she was happy to say that Max did love it when she cooked. It was something she could do for him and she enjoyed it.

“Oh mommy, can we get those pretty ones with the shiny things in them?” Alexis asked excitedly as she rocked back and forth on her feet.

“Of course. But first mommy needs to eat before she passes out.” A smile broke out on her face when she eyed the half eaten cake from last night.

“Sweetie, would you like to make dessert with me tonight for Max?”

“Oh! Can we mommy?! I want to make him brownies! Oh and cookies and…”

“Hold on,” she laughed at her daughter’s enthusiasm. It warmed her heart to know that her daughter loved Max so completely and always wanted to do special things for him. It made her proud that despite her circumstances, she was able to raise a daughter that was so happy and so full of life.

“What?” Alexis blinked up innocently.

“Don’t you think that’s too much?”

“Mommy, Max is big. He needs a whole lot of food to fill him. Remember, when he ate a whole plate of food and then another one after that? He can do it mommy! I know he can!” Alexis cheered on and Liz doubled over in laughter.

“Okay, I think Max will be happy to know you are his number one cheerleader.”

“Oh…what’s that mommy?” Alexis asked as she reached for an apple from the center of the table. She had to stand on the chair to reach it, but after doing so she took a small bite of it and waited for her mother’s response.

“How do I explain it? You know how you love Scooby Doo?”

“Yup! It’s my favorite!” Alexis beamed brightly just thinking about it.

“Well you are a fan of the show, that’s what we call it when you love to watch something or someone so much. It makes you so happy to see it or them, got it?”

“Yes!”

“Okay, so a cheerleader is a fan, except you get excited to see it or the person. So you jump around and you yell and scream because you’re so happy.” Liz scrunched her nose a bit. Why had she never realized how difficult it would be for her to explain something as simple as what a cheerleader was?

“So, like when I see Max on TV and I get happy and clap my hands…that’s what it is?” Alexis asked still trying to grasp the concept a little better.

“Exactly sweetheart. You are just so smart!”

“I know mommy, you and Max tell me all the time.” Liz whipped her head around and giggled. Her daughter’s head was growing to epic proportions. Maybe she and Max had to lay off the compliments. Her daughter’s ego wouldn’t be able to fit through the door soon.

A few minutes later the telephone rang and a small part of Liz hoped it was Max. She was obviously obsessed like a lovesick teenager. What was wrong with her, she wondered as she crossed the room to answer it. Max told her he loves her and she shot him down and now she was fawning over the fact that she wanted to hear his voice. She needed serious help.

“Hello?”

“Hello, may I please speak with Miss Parker?” The woman on the other end asked.

“This is Liz, how can I help you?” Liz wondered who was calling to speak with her and then she realized it was probably the bookstore. A moment later it was confirmed.

“Miss Parker, we think you would be perfect for the position. And so I’d love to offer you the job and wondered when you would be available to start.” Liz tried to hide the excitement from her voice when she responded.

“Thank you. And I will have to get back to you, but I don’t see why sometime this week wouldn’t work.” Liz responded happily. She needed to get out of the house, especially with Max working a regular schedule now and Alexis starting school. She would drive herself insane sitting at home alone all day long.

“Sounds good. Just give me a call back here at the store and let me know.” Liz hung up the phone after letting her new boss know that she would get back to her as soon as possible.

After the phone call Liz quickly ate something for breakfast and headed upstairs with Alexis to give her a bath.

“Mommy, did you love your birthday?” Alexis asked from the bathtub as her mother prepared her robe.

“I loved it sweetheart. You did so good.” Liz smiled brightly and lifted her daughter out of the tub and quickly wrapped the robe around her before she caught cold.

“I’m happy mommy and so is Max.” Alexis blinked as small droplets of water fell into her eyes.

“Yeah, and how do you know?” Liz asked hesitantly. Her daughter always came up with something witty and smart, but this time Liz was almost afraid of what she would say.

“Because mommy, Max loves you.” Alexis smiled and walked past her mother. Liz however froze in place. Did Max tell her this? She wondered and then shook the thought from her head. He wouldn’t do that and she knew it.

“Alexis, honey how do you know that?” Liz asked acting indifferent on the outside, while on the inside she was shaking with nervousness. They always said that children were insightful but she ended up with a daughter who could read people so easily. Just her luck, she thought.

“Cause mommy, Max looks at you funny.” Alexis shrugged as she bounced up and down on her bed.

“Stop jumping on the bed,” Liz told her as she took a seat beside her daughter. What the hell did she mean, that Max looked at her funny?

“Mommy can I wear a skirt like you?” Alexis asked as she bounced off her bed once more and onto her feet. She quickly ran to her closet to pick out her outfit for the day.

“Sure. Alexis, what do you mean he looks at me funny?” Liz probed softly.

“He looks at you like…I don’t know mommy. Like…” Alexis tried to explain but found it difficult. She tilted her head to the side to look at the skirts in her closet. She didn’t know which one she wanted to wear, but her mommy had one on and so she wanted to wear one too.

“Like what baby?” Liz pressed on a little as she came to stand behind her daughter.

“Mommy, remember when you told me about the fan downstairs before?” Alexis began as she reached for her light blue denim skirt.

“Yes.”

“That’s how mommy. Like he’s your fan…like that. But Max doesn’t jump around mommy, but I know he loves you anyway.” Alexis turned and smiled up at her mother reassuringly.

“Right. Okay. Is that the skirt you’re going to wear?” Liz asked distractedly. Was her daughter right? And if she was, why didn’t Liz see it herself? Maybe because she wasn’t looking was her first thought, but she shook it off.

“Yes!”

“All right, let’s hurry up. We can maybe meet Maria for lunch, how does that sound?”

“Good mommy! Can we see Max for lunch too?” Alexis asked hopeful but her smile faded when her mother shook her head.

“I’m sorry. You know Max can’t do that, but after we see Maria we’ll go to the store and buy lots of things for dinner.”

“Oh we are gonna cook together right mommy for Max? We can make his favorite!” Alexis added as she bent down to pick out her favorite sneakers.

Liz groaned, “We are not eating hotdogs. I am putting my foot down,” Liz grumbled out at her daughter.

“No mommy,” Alexis giggled into her hand.

“His other favorite. You know the one he eats a lot of?”

“Oh right.” Liz smiled at how well Alexis knew Max. Suddenly it hit her. Max was being completely candid with her. Max was right. No one knew him, the real him more than she and Alexis did. Not even Michael, his best friend, knew certain things about him.

Still though, what happened to her when the novelty wore off? What would happen to her when Max decided that having a normal girlfriend, that didn’t like flashy things or going to flashy places was too boring for his lifestyle? Liz knew better and felt that Max was not looking at the big picture. How could he be? In fact, she suspected that if it wasn’t because of Alexis, another part of him probably thought he loved her because she was different than the other girls he dated.

After all, that was what he had said. Those girls were different and he grew tired of them, so what was to stop him from growing tired of her?

“Mommy, can we go now?” Alexis asked wondering what was going on in her mommy’s head. She always seemed to be thinking a lot. Maybe her mommy needed to talk to Max more, he never seemed to be thinking as much as her mommy did.

“Yes, we can go now.” Liz smiled as she put the finishing touches on her daughter’s hair.

Liz decided not think about her and Max’s feelings for the next few hours. Since of course she had all the hours after they got home, while they cooked dinner to think about it. Not to mention when she laid in bed at night waiting for sleep to claim her. She sighed heavily.

It was going to be another long day, she thought.

After a long afternoon and an even longer trip to the grocery store than Liz intended, they had made it back home. Now she had close to two hours to get everything prepared for dinner. Normally that would be more than enough time, but with a five year old who wanted to do everything herself, it was proving to be quite the challenge.

“Mommy, I want to put the cheese on.” Alexis whined for what seemed like the hundredth time to Liz. She loved her daughter but sometimes she acted like the five year old she was, and that was too overwhelming at times.

“I know Lexi, but you need to let me get the pasta in the tray with the sauce first. Then you can do it. We have to do it in layers so don’t worry,” Liz tried to explain as she watched her daughter huff and cross her arms over her chest.

“I know mommy, but you’re taking too long. What if it’s not ready for Max? And we still have to make the brownies and stuff.” Alexis punctuated her thoughts with a soft yawn. Liz knew that Alexis had missed her nap and was beyond the word cranky at that point.

“Okay. How about this? I will start the brownies and you can mix everything together while I get this ready, then when it’s time for you to put the cheese on, I’ll let you know?” Liz asked hopeful, she knew her daughter needed a nap and soon.

“Okay!” Alexis perked up a bit at that news.

Liz quickly stopped what she was doing to get out the ingredients to make the brownies. Once she had everything in a very large bowl she propped her daughter in a chair at the kitchen table and let her begin to mix it. It would occupy her for the meantime, hopefully long enough for her to put the lasagna in the oven.

After a few minutes, Liz was done and when she looked up she found her daughter asleep in her chair with the mixing spoon lying haphazardly on the table. She smiled at how precious she looked. Without thinking she quickly left the room and looked for Max’s digital camera, she didn’t want him to miss it. She quickly snapped a few pictures before placing the camera down on the counter and lifting her daughter in her arms. She placed her on the living room couch and covered her with her favorite blanky and ran back into the kitchen to get the camera once again. Once Liz was satisfied with her pictures, she went back into the kitchen to finish dinner and set the table.

Liz was setting up the dining room table for dinner when she heard the distinct ring of her cell phone, alerting her that Max was calling.

“Hi Max,” Liz smiled into the phone and then proceeded to roll her eyes. She was a lovesick puppy.

“Hi baby, I just wanted to let you know I’m leaving now. So I should be there in about a half hour.” Max had just realized how weird of a conversation they were having. It was abnormally normal to him. Now that he was fully onboard coaching he would be away from the house more and more and wanted to relish in the moments he could spend with Liz and Alexis.

“Great! Dinner is just about done. Oh, you have to see the pictures I took of Lexi sleeping at the table while she was making dessert.” Liz giddily told Max with a bright smile on her face.

“Really? I bet she looked adorable,” Max smiled into the phone and couldn’t wait until he got home.

“She did! That’s why I had to take the pictures.”

“Good I’m glad you did. I can’t wait to see them and you. I’ll see you then.”

“Right. Bye Max.”

“Bye baby.”

It had been a good ten minutes and the cheesy smile Liz wore on her face ever since Max hung up the phone, had yet to disappear.

Liz didn’t realize how much she missed Max until she heard his voice. And when she heard him pull into the garage she practically jumped in anticipation. What the hell was wrong with her, she wondered.

“Max!” Alexis jumped off the couch and ran towards him the moment she heard him announce he was home.

“Hi princess, what were you doing? Sleeping?” Max asked as he caught her in his arms.

“Yes, but I’m up now!” Alexis smiled and put her arms around him giving him a kiss on the cheek.

“I’m glad, did you help your mother with dinner?”

“Yes! And I mixed the brownies too!” Alexis offered uncertainly. Did she fall asleep before she did it?

“Oh I see we wake up for Max but for mommy we just stay asleep huh?” Liz joked lightly as she came up behind Max.

“No mommy, I just heard Max that’s all.” Alexis smiled over Max’s shoulder.

“Hey,” Liz said as she leaned up on her tiptoes to kiss him.

Max just smiled and then placed Alexis back on her feet. He wanted to pull Liz into his arms and kiss her, to show her how much he missed her, but he didn’t. Instead he excused himself to take a quick shower.

“How was practice?” Liz asked as soon as they settled down to eat.

“It was good. The guys are looking great though.” Max’s mouth was practically watering. He loved Liz’s cooking.

“Max wipe the drool, it’s not becoming.” Liz ribbed him lightly and Alexis giggled.

“Hey, I can’t help it that you’re a great cook and I love to eat everything you make.”

“Yeah mommy! You’re the best cook ever!” Alexis offered with a nod and a smile.

“Thank you. Now stop filling my head with this ego boosting stuff and eat already.”

During dinner Liz had Max about his schedule and what it normally looked like. She was very discouraged when he explained how often he would be gone.

“…but you and Alexis can come with me or fly out whenever she’s not in school.” Max offered when he saw Liz’s face fall. He knew it would be hard on himself, but watching her features closely he knew it would be on her as well. So I do affect her, he thought happily.

Alexis had left the room to watch television since she had swallowed her dinner and asked to be excused.

“I got the job,” Liz offered in a small voice. Which meant that the whole plan of her flying out to see him wouldn’t work too well around that schedule.

“That’s great! Liz, what’s wrong?” Max asked as he reached his hand out to her and covered it gently.

“Nothing. Just that, we aren’t going to see much of each other are we?” She finished with a self-depreciating laugh. Max’s heart broke; she cared more than she let on. And only in moments of weakness was he privy to that knowledge.

“Liz, I’m the assistant and yes I have to be there, but I already spoke to the coach about it. I told him that I couldn’t leave you and Alexis, so honestly the schedule we have worked out won’t be so bad. And as soon as the game is over, I’m on a plane back home.” Max smiled reassuringly at her and watched as she nodded.

“Liz, what else is wrong?” he whispered out so that there was no way Alexis could overhear him.

“It’s just that everything is changing again. Lexi is starting school this week, I’m starting a new job and you’re getting yourself back on track. It’s just different I guess,” Liz looked up and offered Max a teary gaze and lopsided smile.

Without thinking he pulled her chair right next to his and pulled her into his lap. He pushed her hair back away from her face and kissed her lips softly, then wrapped his arms around her waist.

“Liz, different doesn’t always mean bad. We will adjust to that. I just need to know you’re willing to do that with me.” He searched her eyes for an answer before she gave it verbally. And he saw a flash of something in her eyes before she nodded.

“Good. Because I don’t think I’d be able to do it without you.” Max smiled and pulled her against his chest but was stopped abruptly by her hands on his shoulders.

“Do what?” she narrowed her eyes in confusion.

“Not play. I want to so bad, Liz. You don’t even know,” he revealed to his own shock. He didn’t want her to know, she would only get upset.

“Max, I can’t imagine what it’s like to not be able to do the one thing you love most in the world, but you can’t risk that,” she offered gently stroking her hands through his still damp hair. Her heart broke for him, because she knew how important playing was to him.

“You’re right about me not risking it. I won’t. But you’re wrong, so wrong about the other thing,” Max smiled against her lips before he captured them in a sweet kiss.

“What other thing?” Liz asked as she opened her eyes slowly. His kisses affected her more than she wanted to admit to herself. Max had a thousand different ways to kiss, and every time he kissed her it always seemed he knew what kiss she needed at that moment. Whether it be a soft feather light kiss, passionate and hot, or just a simple brush of his lips against hers. It was always the right one at the right time. Yet another thing she adored about him.

Max pulled back and waited until their eyes were locked, “Playing football is not the one thing I love most in the world Liz. I love lots of different things for different reasons,” he began running his fingers over her cheeks and neck. He leaned in and brushed a light kiss on her temple before continuing.

“I love football, I miss playing it but I can live without it. I love Alexis as a daughter and I can’t live without her, but you Liz, I love you most of all. For so many reasons,” he smiled.

“I love your smile, your laugh, the way you walk into a room and light it up. Most of all I love your heart. It amazes me each and every day. You Liz, amaze me each and every day. There will never be another person in world that is like you, and I’m so thankful I have you. So you see, it’s okay to love more than one thing passionately. It doesn’t mean you love one less than the other…it just means you love them differently.” When he finished his speech, Liz was in tears and he swiped them away telling her it was okay.

“I’ll wait for you, Liz. I’ll wait for you to be ready to love me. I promise you this Liz; I’m going to make you fall so in love with me. And I’m going to make you happy for the rest of your life,” he whispered out hoarsely and sealed his lips to hers, dragging them languidly over hers, and waiting until he felt her give in. And when he did…he smiled.

TBC…
Last edited by Behrsgirl77 on Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Behrsgirl77
Obsessed Roswellian

Post by Behrsgirl77 »

A/N - I know not another authors note...I hate them as much as you do, but I needed to leave one. I have finally figured out what I'm doing with the next part thanks to Kara (what would I do without you?) But I have been sick for the past two days, making it impossible for me to really focus my attention on this *sigh*

However, I do have a bit of good news...I posted a Christmas Fic! My very first one, if you're interested see the CC Forum called: All I Want For Christmas (my first time over there... :? ) Hope you enjoy!!

Also... I have to drop this off for Alexis! EEK! I was so flippin excited to see it, I didn't expect it because Midwest Max is an amazing writer! Congrats to her as well!

Best Portrayal of a Child

Thank you guys so much! You totally rock!! And congrats to all the other nominees!!

*hugs*

Tanya
Last edited by Behrsgirl77 on Sat Dec 31, 2005 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Behrsgirl77
Obsessed Roswellian

Post by Behrsgirl77 »

A/N - No your eyes are not deceiving you, I'm actually here with an update! I'm so sorry to keep you all waiting :oops: When I looked and saw that the last time I updated was the beginning of December I wanted to hide *lol* Sorry!

Okay enough of that. I wanted to say Merry Christmas to everyone, and hope that you have a happy and safe holiday!

You guys always seem to amaze me with the feedback. I'm so happy that you enjoy it so much!!

Eccentric One - Thank you for all your help and hounding me just a little to get this update done *muah*
harroc83
Behrsgirl1230
clueless
BehrObsession
anonymousarfan
vampyrax
Roswell 10/2/00
Hayleigh loves Dreamer
Timelord31
RoninBehr
MsBlueIce
lazza
Shadowlynxbehr
Earth2Mama
Alien614
ILYMEFOREVER
begonia9508
roswell3053
VeronicB
Jason's Lover
Emz80m
kismet
hazz
Bixie
IzzyEvans2201_PuertoRico
Ellie
linliz68
frenchkiss70
stargrl678
cherie
confusedfool
ISLANDGIRL5
FSUMSW94
Lessie
rigel
Dreamer06

out of this world – Hey Carol! Long time no see *lol Thank you sweetie!
guelbebek
Lurkers :wink:

Chapter 25

The silence was palpable. Their kiss had ended just a moment ago and their eyes were still closed. Liz breathed in his scent. He smelt amazing, as always. He was perfect. Why couldn’t she just let go? Why couldn’t she just give in and believe that she could be happy?

It was at that moment that her daughter bounced into the dining room, reminding her why she couldn’t just give in to Max. Not only was her heart at stake, but also her daughter’s. Liz thought more of Max and knew that he would never intentionally desert Alexis, but what if he found someone he wanted to be with, that wasn’t attached? She refocused her attention on her daughter’s question as she spun around in Max’s lap.

“Mommy, can I watch my movie?” Alexis tried to hide her smile of happiness when she asked her mother the question. When she first entered the room she saw Max and her mommy kissing. She still thought it was yucky, but her mommy and Max both looked happy, so it was okay.

“Of course. Do you know where it is?” Liz asked slowly extracting herself from Max’s warm arms.

“Yup! But I can’t reach the thing to put it in.”

“Let me help you with that, Lexi,” Max stood and dropped a kiss on Liz’s cheek before lifting Alexis in his arms.

“Hey! I thought I was princess?” Alexis crossed her arms and pouted. Max simply chuckled aloud as he shook his head.

“Of course you are, but that’s not your name you know?” Max watched as her beautiful brown eyes began to fill with tears.

“What’s wrong?” he asked gently and turned his head hesitantly towards Liz for help. Once again he received nothing but a shrug of her shoulders. She was never any help, and he wondered why? He’d have to remember to ask her later.

“You always call me your princess. I’m never Alexis or even Lexi. Do you not love me anymore?” she asked with a quivering bottom lip. Max was quick to wrap his arms around her and reassure her that he loved her.

“Don’t ever think that. Ever. I love you, princess. I’ll always love you,” Max kissed her cheek softly as he pulled her that much closer. The thought that she believed he would ever stop loving her made his heart break. How could he not love her? She was everything he’d ever want in a child. And she loved him unconditionally. Imperfections and all, she loved him. There was no way in hell Max would ever stop loving her. No matter what.

“Forever and ever?” she asked balling her hands into tiny fists to wipe the tears from her eyes.

“Forever and ever,” he swore and felt relief wash over him as soon as a smile appeared on her face.

“Max?” she asked tilting her head to the side. She glanced at her mother quickly and hoped she didn’t hurt her mommy’s feelings.

“Yes?” Max hoisted her higher on his hip and began to carry her into the living room when her words stilled his movements.

“I love you with my whole heart!” Alexis threw her arms around his neck and hugged him as tight as she could. It was Max now that was at a loss for words. He simply closed his eyes and breathed in her sweet scent and thought about how lucky he truly was.

Liz had still been trying to compose herself minutes later as she began to clear off the table. She was a little angry with herself as well. She was actually jealous of her daughter. The unconditional love and adoration Alexis had for Max was perfection. Liz wanted to love so openly and freely, but it was a big step she wasn’t quite ready for. She wasn’t sure what she was waiting for, but her heart told her she’d know it when it happened.

She quickly cleared the table and began to wash the dishes. She was completely lost in thought when Max approached her from behind, wrapping his arms around her waist.

“Hey sexy, miss me?” he whispered softly and felt her back stiffen.

“Are you okay?” He spun her around searching her eyes.

“Liz, did I do something wrong?” he asked sincerely concerned that he’d done something unknowingly to upset her.

“No! Max you didn’t do anything. I just…I was just thinking, that’s all.” Liz let out a nervous laugh. Max nodded and let her return to face the sink and offered his help.

“Max, you don’t wash dishes. That’s so beneath a man of your status,” Liz joked with a gleam in her eye.

“Oh please! Look who’s talking? You hate to wash dishes. Come to think of it, why do you wash them when we have a dishwasher?” Max asked scratching the back of his ear and eyeing the dishwater as if something were going to jump out and attack him at any moment.

“Max, it’s not that I hate washing them. I just hate touching the food on the plate after it touches the water,” she shuddered visibly and Max couldn’t help but burst out laughing.

“You’re so damn adorable. I don’t know whether to squeeze you or kiss you until I’m satisfied.” Max quickly pulled her into his arms and kissed her without preamble.

“Max! I’m all wet!” she screeched in defense, although she loved every moment of it. Max on the other hand was glad he was able to remove the worry etched across her face. He loved Liz being silly and carefree. She wasn’t that way nearly enough. At least not to his satisfaction.

“Put me down!”

“Make me,” he responded as he bounced her in his arms.

“I’m making the floor wet too, Max!” Liz couldn’t help but laugh. She loved when Max was silly with her.

“I’ll mop it up later.”

“You don’t even know where the mop is,” Liz retorted right before he allowed her to slip down his muscular body and onto her tiptoes. His face a mere breath away from hers.

“Are you insinuating that I don’t know how to clean?” Max narrowed his eyes in challenge.

“I believe, Mr. Evans, that is exactly what I’m saying.” Liz crossed her arms giving him a small nod.

“Oh now you’re gonna pay!” He lifted her and threw her over his shoulder.

“This is war, Liz.” He said as he ran down the hall and flung open the doors to the pool house.

“MAX! NO!”

Splash!

Splash!

When they both surfaced, Liz reached out and dunked his head back under the water. She couldn’t believe he had thrown her into the pool fully clothed.

As soon as Max pushed off the bottom and resurfaced, he burst out laughing at the sight of his girlfriend. Her hair was all over the place, her mascara running down her face and her lips her wet and oh so tempting.

“Look Liz, you’re all clean!” He said just before he dove under the water and came up right beneath her, lifting her up on his shoulders. God, she was light as a feather, yet so perfect in his arms. He couldn’t get enough of her.

“You’re not funny,” she crossed her arms in protest as Max walked around the shallow end of the pool with her atop his shoulders.

“Yes I am.” He smiled to himself knowing it would get her riled up.

“You know, Max I’m going to pay you back for this right?”

“I’m counting on it.”

“Really? Why?” she questioned confusingly.

“Because I love to see you laugh. You don’t do it nearly enough. Besides it’s a shame,” Max said tossing a smile up at her from below.

“What’s a shame?” She had no idea what in the hell he was referring to.

“That such a beautiful smile doesn’t get to be seen that often. I’d like to change that.” He admitted freely. He would never hold anything back from her.

“I’d like that, Max.” Liz blinked back the tears that stung her eyes at his words. He was making her decision to not give into him extremely difficult.

“Good. Now, we need to hurry up and dry off. I have to do a few things in the den before bed.” Liz nodded her approval. Max quickly extracted her from his shoulders and out of the water.

“Max you might hurt yourself lifting me up and…” she trailed off when he jumped out of the pool and she’d finally noticed how every article of clothing he was wearing clung to his perfectly sculpted body. She wondered what he looked like without all of his clothing. She licked her lips and heard a small growl. She peered up through her wet eyelashes to see Max devouring her with his eyes. Suddenly the room had grown a few degrees hotter. His eyes roamed her like no man’s ever had. How did he do that, she wondered. Surely he’d seen many a woman naked. Yet she was hardly naked, even though the water left little to the imagination, and he was attracted to her. Apparently, very attracted if the way he licked his lips was any indication.

Max couldn’t help but stare at her. She was everything he’d ever dreamed of having in a woman. More importantly, he loved her and wanted to show her just how much. But it was still too soon. He opted, however for just a small sample. Max quickly wrapped his arms around her and sealed their lips. He walked them over slowly to one of the many chairs around the room. Without removing his lips he turned so that she lay on top of him in the lounger. They were both still soaking wet, but neither minded. They were, after all, too lost in their kiss.

As the kiss grew more intense Liz could feel Max’s want for her pressing against the soft flesh of her belly. She kissed him harder, thrusting her soft tongue into his warm mouth. Wanting to swallow him and somehow make herself feel whole again. It had been so long since they’d been this intense. She’d missed it.

Slowly she reached her hands between them, running them underneath his wet cotton shirt. She smiled against his lips when she felt his taught muscles flex beneath her fingers. Ripping her lips from his, she peered down at him from above. His swollen lips, his disheveled hair and the rapid rise and fall of his chest. A small flirting smile formed on her lips as she removed her hands from his chest and slid them to the rim of his boxers. She leaned over and licked the shell of his ear.

“Liz,” he moaned out as she shivered in delight. She took pride in knowing she could excite him so easily. With unsteady hands she reached inside the waistband of his boxers. She took in a ragged breath. It was the first time she’d actually touched a man there. Despite their rapidly cooling bodies, he felt surprisingly warm. She ran her hands over him tentatively; he was hard yet velvety soft at the same time. Like nothing she’d ever felt before. She had truly wanted to see him at that moment. All of him. Even if she wasn’t ready that didn’t mean she wasn’t curious.

Max wasn’t sure what she was up to, but wouldn’t stop her unless she looked uncertain, which at the moment she didn’t. He wanted to close his eyes in pleasure the moment her small hand touched his heated flesh, but he didn’t. He couldn’t. He wanted to see her reaction to everything. In his eyes, she was every bit a virgin, even if she had a child.

Deciding that it wasn’t wise to start something of that nature with Alexis right down the hall, she extracted her hand much to her disappointment. She leaned up and straddled his waist a moment later.

Max watched her movements. She truly was graceful. He’d never noticed that before. He saw as she nibbled on her bottom lip and refused to look him in the eyes. That wouldn’t do.

“Liz,” he swallowed thickly when her eyes finally met his. He was having trouble forming a sentence because with that one look, he saw just how much she wanted him. He ran his hands over her thighs and emitted a low groan in the back of his throat when she shimmied further up on his chest.

Liz leaned over and kissed his chest then his lips. She gave him a small smile as she reared back to regard him, but he halted her movements. He pulled her back down against him.

“I love you, Liz. Never forget that,” he whispered out to her before placing a soft kiss on her lips.

“Mommy!” They both jumped from their positions at the sound of Alexis’ voice and small feet padding against the wooden floors.

“We have to go.” Max pulled Liz with him outside the doors. They met Alexis half way.

“There you are. Mommy, I don’t feel good.” Alexis rubbed her belly and pouted. Liz quickly lifted her but Alexis protested.

“You’re all wet! Get me down! Get me down mommy!” Alexis practically jumped from her mother’s arms back to the floor.

“Why are you both wet?” she asked, hands positioned at her hips.

“We fell in the pool,” Max offered lamely.

“Oh are you okay?” she asked worry etched across her tiny face.

“Of course we are. Don’t you worry. Max and I can take care of ourselves,” Liz reassured her daughter as she ushered her along down the hall.

“Oh mommy. I know Max wouldn’t let anything happen to you. I wanted to make sure he was okay,” Alexis offered innocently and Max couldn’t help but snicker.

“Young lady, do you mean to tell me you don’t think your mother can take care of herself without Max?” Liz questioned playfully. Max was a few steps behind her at that point, with Alexis leading the pack.

“No, mommy I think you can. But why would you?” she asked looking up for a moment to regard her mother.

“Why?” Liz echoed.

“Yeah why?” Max interjected.

Alexis stopped and sighed heavily. Did she have to tell the grown ups everything, she wondered. “Because Max loves you mommy. And when you love somebody you like to do things for them, right Max?” Alexis peered behind her mother’s waist to survey Max’s reaction.

He was taken off guard. Damn when the hell did she get so smart? He shook his head in disbelief, but answered her nevertheless. “That’s right princess. When you love someone you would do anything for them. Not because you have to but because you want to.” Max looked Liz right in the eyes when he responded. He saw her eyes grow wide and then turn back to her daughter.

“Okay I think we’ll get you a nice warm bath, then I’ll read to you until you fall asleep okay?” Liz asked as they began to walk again. She didn’t want to look back at Max. He was slowly breaking her defenses down. He was so sweet to her. How would she be able to fend off her feelings if he continued to be that way with her? And she already demonstrated the weakness she had for him when they were alone together and in a playful mood. Things could have easily progressed a few minutes ago. That’s not what worried Liz though. What did was the fact that if Alexis was asleep in her bed at that moment, things would have progressed and she wouldn’t have had a problem with it.

“Yay! Max will you come tuck me in before mommy reads to me?” Alexis asked and smiled in satisfaction when he agreed.

They all retreated upstairs moments later. Max to change, Liz to change as well and give Alexis her bath. Max excused himself and told Liz to call him when she was done giving Alexis her bath, and that he would be in his den if she needed him.

“Bath time is over,” Liz announced once she was completely soaked again. She dried off Alexis and waited until her daughter placed her pajamas on. It took far too long for Liz’s taste, but her daughter wanted to be independent so she waited through all the 'mommy I can do it's’.

“You have to call Max mommy!” Alexis reminded her as she jumped on top of her bed.

“Okay, first stop jumping. How many times do I have to tell you?” Liz asked somewhat flustered. She wasn’t ready to see Max again. Her mind was not prepared to face him and then spend time with him before bed…alone.

“Stay here,” Liz said as she turned to the intercom system, pushed the button for the den and called out to Max. After calling him twice, she decided to punch in the code to display the room. It was an invasion of privacy but she really didn’t want to go down two floors to get him.

As soon as the image appeared on the screen, she let out a soft gasp and quickly turned the monitor off. She needed to get downstairs immediately. Trying to get her nerves settled she turned to her daughter.

“Lexi, Max is busy right now. So how about I turn on the television and go get him.” Her voice was even-toned as to not alarm Alexis.

“Oh, okay mommy. I’ll just wait under the covers.” Alexis smiled and waited until her mother pulled the bedspread back before scooting inside of them.

“Love you mommy.”

“I love you too baby. Now I’ll be back. If you need me, use the monitor. I don’t want you wandering around the house. Okay?”

“Okay.” Alexis yawned softly as she nodded in addition to voicing her response.

“Promise?”

“Promise!”

“I’ll be back soon.” Liz closed the door behind her and gripped the door handle tightly. She wasn’t sure what she saw moments ago. But if the position Max was in was any indication, he needed her. Pausing to take a breath to prepare herself, she took off down the hall as quickly as her feet would carry her. She needed to get to Max.

TBC…soon!

FYI: Keep your eyes open for an update on Confessions and All I Want For Christmas later today :wink:
Last edited by Behrsgirl77 on Sat Dec 31, 2005 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Behrsgirl77
Obsessed Roswellian

Post by Behrsgirl77 »

Okay I won't repeat my last sentiment...however I'm am so very thankful to all of you for these awards. They aren't the reason why I write, because I think we all know if that were the case I would have given up a long time ago. I hope you all know how awesome you all are for sticking with me, even in times when you weren't sure where I was taking you...

One last thing...a special thank you to Raychel for writing this amazing challenge, and although I have fulfilled every part of the challenge except that dreamer ending (as if there were ever any doubt), this story has taken on a life of its own. I just hope the story is everything you had imagined it would be! Love you!

<center>

For: Best Alterative Universe w/out Aliens - Wings of an Angel (Congrats Lindsay - Applebylicious!)
Most Improved Writer (Congrats Alex - Hopeless Romantic!)</center>

Again, thank you all and no worries I won't keep you waiting long to see what's going on with Max!

*hugs*

Tanya