When the heck IS Max's birthday anyway? The Roscanon thread

Have a challenge you'd like to see written? Have an idea that just won't get out of your head? Want to talk anything and everything fanfic or writer related? This is the place.

Moderators: ISLANDGIRL5, Forum Moderators

Misha
Addicted Roswellian

Re: When the heck IS Max's birthday anyway? The Roscanon thr

Post by Misha »

:lol: I always read amber as a synonym of hazel. I've used honey-colored as well :)

You can also say amber as an alien trait, that they turn amber for some reason.
"There's addiction, and there's Roswell!"
nibbles2
Obsessed Roswellian

Post by nibbles2 »

memory_echo wrote:Thanks, Misha!
I'll just carry on with my plan to have the marriage proposal and the ceremony all in one night, because it benefits the story. :)

Can I ask why some fanfic authors describe Max as having 'amber eyes'? Where did that idea originate?
Recently, I got curious about this (I spend a lot of time looking into my dog's eyes, which are amber) and noticed they look nothing like Jason's eyes. Book Max has blue eyes, so the idea doesn't come from the books. It doesn't come from tv either, because tv Max has (gorgeous!) hazel eyes.

I too, fell into the 'amber trap' in my first story (it's what I get for reading Mockingbird39's Innocent :lol: ), but at the time, I thought it was some sort of metaphor, linking king Max with the 'king of the jungle' in eye color... Am I reading too much into it?

I didn't think much about this subject at the time I wrote my story, but I'm curious about the origin of fanfic Max's 'amber eyes'. :?
Ugh. Amber eyes.

That's a fairly common Mary Sue/Gary Stu fanfic cliché that unfortunately caught on and became fanon. I don't think it was a metaphor or anything, it was just that some fan girls couldn't stomach the thought of Max/Jason having anything so common as hazel eyes.
memory_echo
Addicted Roswellian

Post by memory_echo »

Misha wrote:You can also say amber as an alien trait, that they turn amber for some reason.
I don't think I'll go there again. It's not the color that make Max's eyes special, IMO. :wink:

nibbles2 wrote:That's a fairly common Mary Sue/Gary Stu fanfic cliché that unfortunately caught on and became fanon.
Dang it! :(
Clichés are boring, metaphors are cool!
I was really hoping for something more profound, but since it isn't, that's my cue to never use it again. :idea:
∞ Max & Liz – The most sublime Love story ever told! ∞

Here's my latest fic, written for all devout Dreamers out there: Everloving.
Tzigone
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by Tzigone »

I see "Ice Princess" all the time as a school-wide nickname for Isabel. Is this canon or fanon? I'm 99.9% sure it wasn't used in the first season, but can't recall later seasons very well, so I thought I'd ask.
nibbles2
Obsessed Roswellian

Post by nibbles2 »

Tzigone wrote:I see "Ice Princess" all the time as a school-wide nickname for Isabel. Is this canon or fanon? I'm 99.9% sure it wasn't used in the first season, but can't recall later seasons very well, so I thought I'd ask.
I think this one came from the books.
Tzigone
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by Tzigone »

Thanks, nibbles2.

Next Question: Do we have a canonical size for the fictional city of Roswell (didn't think it much resembled the real one, anyway) or West Roswell High? They act like it's rather small-towny, but I can't recall any hard numbers.
Tzigone
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Nick names

Post by Tzigone »

I keep asking about nicknames. It's just that I notice them being used a lot in fic sometimes. I don't know if that's because they really are used more in fic, or just because I notice them so it seems like a lot. And, you know, I'm reading a lot of fic in one sitting or a lot of the same author back-to-back (because I like them). Trying to put them all in one post.

Spaceboy - I know it's canon - how often is it used onscreen?
Pixie girl - was this nickname for Maria ever used onscreen?
'Ria - completely fanon, is that correct?
Iz or Izzie or Izzy - used onscreen by Diane, Max, and Michael? Did Alex ever use it?
Belle or Bella - this may be only one author's thing, not sure; did anyone ever refer to Isabel that way onscreen?
Lizzie - used by Jeff; did Nancy use it?
Micky - used by Hank Whitmore
Jimmy - what Jim Valenti was called when young; used by Hubble and by Jim when talking to his father
Nance and Phil - don't see these that often; were they ever actually used for Nancy Parker and Philip Evans?
nibbles2
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: Nick names

Post by nibbles2 »

Tzigone wrote:
Spaceboy - I know it's canon - how often is it used onscreen? First used by Max actually, and then adopted by Maria and used a few times but not as often as fics would have you believe.
Pixie girl - was this nickname for Maria ever used onscreen? Never, in no way, shape or form was Maria ever referred to as pixie.
'Ria - completely fanon, is that correct? Also no. I think there's maybe one instance where Liz stressed the Ria part of the name and some people hold that up as an example but I think it was just the way Shiri pronounced Maria and not intentional.
Iz or Izzie or Izzy - used onscreen by Diane, Max, and Michael? Did Alex ever use it? I'm not sure about this one.
Belle or Bella - this may be only one author's thing, not sure; did anyone ever refer to Isabel that way onscreen? Nope. Never.
Lizzie - used by Jeff; did Nancy use it? Not that I can recall, but Nancy got next to no screen time so who knows.
Micky - used by Hank Whitmore
Jimmy - what Jim Valenti was called when young; used by Hubble and by Jim when talking to his father
Nance and Phil - don't see these that often; were they ever actually used for Nancy Parker and Philip Evans? Not that I ever remember.
memory_echo
Addicted Roswellian

Post by memory_echo »

I'm curious… Was it ever explained what an "Alien Blast" is exactly?
I've seen the Crashdown menu, I know it's a dessert and that costs $2, but does anyone know any more details about it?
∞ Max & Liz – The most sublime Love story ever told! ∞

Here's my latest fic, written for all devout Dreamers out there: Everloving.
Tzigone
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Re: When the heck IS Max's birthday anyway? The Roscanon thread

Post by Tzigone »

Did we ever get any clue what was in Atherton's files?

When did the humans find out about dreamwalking? That it existed, what it was, etc.? Liz didn't know what it was in "Heat Wave", did she? Or did Maria know from "Monsters"? I remember Alex knew in "The White Room."

Edited to add: Timeline on James Valenti, Sr.? Jim says he had to have his father committed because Hubble "pushed him over the edge". Hubble shot the drifter in 1972, according to "The Convention." When was Sr. committed? Back then? Because Kyle knew grandpa's stories in "Into the Woods." So it seems like he'd have known Sr. when he was more coherent (which he isn't nowadays). Did he just get worse after being committed? Doesn't even recognize Jim these days.