When the heck IS Max's birthday anyway? The Roscanon thread

Have a challenge you'd like to see written? Have an idea that just won't get out of your head? Want to talk anything and everything fanfic or writer related? This is the place.

Moderators: ISLANDGIRL5, Forum Moderators

vilandragirl
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Re: When the heck IS Max's birthday anyway? The Roscanon thread

Post by vilandragirl »

According to Nasedo, the hybrids have powers because they use a higher percentage of their brain capacity than humans do. So it would stand to reason that when Max healed Liz he released some of the brain capacity that humans naturally don't use. (And I say Liz because we never actually received confirmation that Kyle would get powers, people assume that because Kyle assumed it). If I had to guess, I would say this would come from the mental connection that he made with her, rather than the healing itself, since according to Max, the healing was altering the molecular structure, which he does with inanimate objects all the time. With that said, perhaps every time they connect, they open up more brain power.

People wonder about the hospital kids, River Dog, or Valenti getting powers all the time, but I wonder what about the bird he healed when he was a kid? Is there some sort of bionic pigeon out there mindwarping all the other birds? :)
killjoy
Roswell Fanatic

Post by killjoy »

I don't know if this is the right place for this but I didn't want to start a whole new thread for just one question.I'd like you all to give me your thoughts on this which has been bugging me.

Roswell the show came out right at the end of the 90's and ended just into the 00's.So if you're writting a CC story based from the show do you keep the time line pure? What I mean is.....do you keep out anything in the story that is known now but not back than when the show was on? Say you don't mention the Twilight movies for they weren't known than? You have to keep every thing that is talked about be only what was known during the time frame the show was on and nothing that came out later.

See where I'm going with this?
Misha
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Misha »

I would say yes, stick to their time line. But if you do want to move it ten years in time, just let the readers know in an AN that. Otherwise, it might be a bit confusing...

Or maybe that's just me and everyone won't mind one bit that suddenly everyone has iPods, a facebook account, and talk about Obama... :lol:
"There's addiction, and there's Roswell!"
jbangelo
Administrator

Post by jbangelo »

Typically, when I write, I try to stick as close to the show's timeframe as possible. I was once writing a little ficlet where Kyle was playing a video game, so I actually did a Google search to see what game consoles were most popular in 2000-2001. A little discrepancy here and there isn't a big deal, but I think if you go too far, you're stepping into AU territory. But that's just my opinion...
“You know you’re right for someone when they force you to be the best version of yourself.”

Sundae
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Sundae »

When is Zan's birthday? Or roughly, when was he born?
Misha
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Misha »

We were never given any specific dates for when were any of the podsters hatched... We only got some "official" birthdays from any of the characters, so you can make up whatever you want.

It is generally accepted that Isabel is older than Max according to the birth dates they were assigned. Max's birthday is on March 15th, though.
Sundae
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Sundae »

Misha wrote:We were never given any specific dates for when were any of the podsters hatched... We only got some "official" birthdays from any of the characters, so you can make up whatever you want.

It is generally accepted that Isabel is older than Max according to the birth dates they were assigned. Max's birthday is on March 15th, though.
lol. I meant Max's son, Zan.

I think the only real ones I know are Max is March 15 like you stated and Maria's is sometime in January.
Misha
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Misha »

Ahhh... :lol:

He was supposedly born in the Summer, when Max almost drowned when he got a "vision". (But then again, if Zan was completely human, how could he have sent a vision? hhhmmmm). That would be the summer of 2001.

We also know that Kyle's birthday is in May, Alex's in June, Maria's is either at the end of Jan or beginnings of Feb, and Isabel's on Oct. I think... There's a post at the beginning of this thread, the fourth I think, which goes into detail about this :)

Misha
nitpick23
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by nitpick23 »

RoswellOracle wrote:Never really thought about their powers coming faster if Max healed them again. Interesting concept.

It is possible that Max didn't make them hybrids, but I was always in the boat that he did fundamentally alter Liz, at least. So the question is, does every healing alter the human, or just ones that are on the brink of death, or did Max subconsciously change Liz to be more like him?

Michael healed RiverDog. Will he get powers? And what about the kids in Phoenix? They weren't on the brink of death, but were slowly dying. So is there a mini army of hybrids in that hospital? lol

Maybe getting powers is the side effect of Max healing someone, like Michael's powers created Cadmium X when he killed Pierce. Or maybe Max creates Cadmium X inside people he heals and that changes them. :lol:

I personally don't believe every healing would alter the person. But I think if someone was altered by healing, it is possible that further healing could speed up the process once it has begun.
The writers of the show never let contnuity get in their way when writing the series. Michael could heal then he couldn't, etc.

I do remember that when Ava heard that Max healed Liz she claimed that he did change her. I guess that would mean that everyone he healed was changed in some way. But then considering that this was Roswell, what Ava said was only good for the one episode.
Bubblegal
Addicted Roswellian
Location: In my own little head where Roswell is still on and Max and Liz were never apart.

Post by Bubblegal »

I always though it was because Max needed to look into Liz's eyes when he healed her in the Pilot - he said she needed to look at him and thus we ended up with visions regarding Liz's side, probably because she opened her mind to him completely. Max then reversed the connection afterward, opening his mind to her to let her see the visions. Max never needed to look into anyone else's eyes (that we saw) when he was healing Kyle (he was out of it at the time) or the kids (it took more out of him because he was healing more than one person).

I think Michael, Isabel and Tess had a small part of healing for superficals stuff - Riverdog either broke or sprained his ankle. I can't remember if we ever saw Isabel heal and Tess healed Max's cut. Max was the only one out of the group who could heal major wounds probably because that was one of his main power as a king and the shield for protection. (they probably didn't want to overload and decided to give them a balanced group).

I think Ava saying Max changed Liz when he healed her was regarding him choosing her as his queen. In Season 1, Tess said Max wasn't dead because she could feel it if he had died yet in season 3 Liz was the one who felt Max die (Tess was still alive at the time). So future Max was wrong the entire time - it is possible that in his timeline - his Liz never had the chance to develop her powers or it was because Liz never actually found out that Max had changed her when he healed her (which probably got Liz to thinking as proven when Max came back from New York to see Liz checking for changes in the mirror). If you don't know about something, you don't think about it or see if it is a possibility. It probably never occured to anyone that Max had changed Liz when he healed her - they all just assumed that it was a normal healing (providing Max and Liz never actually said anything about the visions they shared as Max had a hard time telling Michael and Isabel about the visions that he got when he and Liz were in major make out mode - Sexual Healing). Nasedo probably thought he kissed differently from Max when Liz yanked away from him as he never actually said or at least spoke to Max regarding any flashes he got from Liz (but then again, he probably knew Max would have his head if he actually did confirm that he kissed Liz).

I felt the whole Cadmium X could have been explained more. I thought at least Liz would have been far more interested that it was a result of the aliens using their abilities. Surely she would have at least wondered if she had Cadmium X inside of her due to Max healing her because - at that time - it was a result of increased energy (Michael killing someone for the first time, Max healing someone for the first time). I would have liked them to expand it a bit more. Was Pierce's body the only time they ever encountered Cadmium X or did Nasecdo's victims have Cadmium X? Was it a result of someone dying due to alien abilities or could it have occured if someone had been healed using alien abilities. (Even in the books it's never explained - very annoying!)

To Kyle having powers - if we use the books which were an add on to explain the trip the gang took after the Liz got the visions of the gang being killed - Kyle actually gained powers but due to a major outlet in which helped them to finish of the skins - Liz and Kyle stopped having powers. It is possible people used that as a reference but because not everyone reads the books - it can be considered as not canon (considering one of them had Alex in the books but Tess had betrayed everyone - think she was working for the FBI at the time). I don't remember if Jim actually got any abilities. I think it was assumed that Kyle would get abilities because he had been shot just like Liz had been.

*phew and winces when she sees the post...*
Man, I have got to STOP with the long posts! Seriously.

I hope this actually makes sense - if not, let me know and I'll try my hardest to make it clearer. :D
Dani's fics

"I have an irrational fear of Pingu the Penguin, it's not the plasticine that scares me, its the beak that's the abomination." Me to my friend.

'Found the Cosmos Maiden, she's a few stars short of a galaxy.' Rush Sykes - The Last Remnant